Speaker 1: The Frames per second podcast. YOA, what's good? Everybody is ride back with another France per second episode. Today we are reviewing Hamnet Himnet. It also was for like uh awards and stuff like that, and we're right now we're doing like a little little mini series of nominated films and things. But I am not here alone reviewing this with along with me is to my right can be Inge. In front of him, we got Spike and next to him we got Mike c Town.
Speaker 2: Yo.
Speaker 1: That's good, y'all. Y'all good? Mm hmmm, all right, cool man. So we're gonna get into this, man, we ain't gonna waste too much time. I know we're trying to get get through this, you know, super Bowl, but this is hamnet Man, a twenty twenty five historical strategy film directed by Chloe zau As also co wrote, who also co wrote the screenplay with Maggie O'Farrell, Based on the twenty twenty novel by O'Farrell. The film dramatizes the family life of William Shakespeare and his wife Agnes Half the Way, which I thought was interesting because we just reviewed. I'm not sure which one is gonna come out first. Where We just reviewed Sentimental Value, and the girl's name in that movie was at one of the girls names in there was Agnes, and they also referenced to Hamlet in that movie. I don't know if y'all realize that. So I thought that was like kind of interesting that we were doing doing two movies that kind of kind of relate to tragedy, so and I wanted one if that was intentional in that movie. But but yeah, basically they're coping with the death of their eleven year old son, Hamnet, which stars Jesse Buckley, Paul mescal And as Agnes, and William along alongside Emily Watson, Joel Allen and Noah Juke in supporting roles. What was I gonna say the film? Well, before I get into that part, how did you guys feel about this film? Like it was this something that was on yall radiar or you know, just because we were gonna review it. We reviewed it and also did you like it?
Speaker 2: Spike God, No, this was worse than the reality. I just couldn't this was this was even in English. This was like I didn't get it. I didn't understand the hype. But I felt like that even when I've seen this preview. When I went to go see something else, and even a preview, I was like, this movie looked all pretentious and it just the preview irritated me. But then when we got in the world and I started looking at it like it's it was one scene in here, I.
Speaker 1: Like, okay, all right, we'll get into that, ken, how did you like it?
Speaker 3: It received eight OSCAR nominations, a Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress, Adaptive Screenplay, costume design, production, nown score, and casting, and some other joints. I did enjoy though, I actually did enjoy it. It was oh I was like, damn, actually like that? What did you like about this?
Speaker 1: Did you? What did you like about this? Mike Spike wrapped my mind just now asking came what the this was awful? I wanted to slit my throat and my wrists at the same time. I fucking hated this. Man. I don't fucking like Shakespeare. I don't like this fucking third world time. I don't not third world. Sorry, I don't like this time period. This was fucking a chore. I was gonna yet, oh man, Yeah, y'all can stay on that couch with this bullshit. Oh man, I can't you. I'm not. I'm not the biggest fan of of uh English literature or whatever, like like, I'm not a big fan. It's weird. I have a weird relationship with Shakespeare because I can respect the stories. I just hate all the the way they speak, how it's written. That's the part English. Yeah, that part kind of gets me sometime. But when people starting to monernize it a little bit, I could it's more palable at that point, like like oh, I like oh like but but yeah, so that's what I appreciated about this. It's like the times where they did do that, they were reenacting things. It wasn't like part of the actual dialogue. Oh you feel that way, yeah, am my trip reenacting? They were they were talking all stupid the whole movie. Do you think that I've seen it worse? Well, sure, but that doesn't mean it's not here. So I guess this was enough for me. This This was more palatable for me because I've seen it to where they I mean, it's like, it wasn't this down fun that woman, Yeah, it wasn't like that.
Speaker 3: It was it wasn't it wasn't it wasn't heavy handed.
Speaker 1: I wasn't heavy. Hen it wasn't heavy handed. Oh man, the hand was heavy enough. Oh my god, I was cussing the funk out of jailing on this one description. He was upset. He got.
Speaker 4: So as I walked around the corner. Why the fun we're doing him decisions? I missed this hold on. I was like, I thought we was gonna skip it. I thought we talked about skipping on later.
Speaker 1: But anyway, I'm glad we did watch it because I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it too. I enjoyed it too, you know.
Speaker 2: Like, oh man, what flabbergast did y'all liked this?
Speaker 1: Me too? Oh? Well, well, I think it was beautifully shot. Can we agree that sentimental value was solid? But this ship, y'all like it? I'm blowing the funk away. Damn. This was so much worse than I appreciate sentimentalbod much more now.
Speaker 2: I thought we would all be in agreeance and this.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no no. I thought we was going into it, especially if they all liked talking. Well, yeah, I didn't think I was gonna like this, but I did. I end up liking it. I ended up enjoying it. I was like, oh, I like this anyway. Damn all right, So we start off like with the prologue, was a Hamlet and Hamlet were considered the same name. I didn't know they are even being cared to know that or whatever, but it made sense in the movie. Whatever. Right, So we started off with with the man. He's known just the husband. He works as a tutor to help pay his family's debt. And then we also are introduced to Agnes. So we see her in a beautiful shot coming from above and she's like just in the wood, in the forest or the woods or whatever, and then she summons, not summons, but like calls on a hawk or whatever. How did y'all fell about the opening of this movie? I was done immediately, damn Why because she's out here fucking talking to birds. She's a witch, She's a forest witch. She didn't do nothing cool. She's gonna be a witch. Do something cool, at least the chicken. The witch flew talking this ship. She over here, fucking come to me bird and the bird just landing on her. What the fun? But she can see things too, She can see into the future, and she didn't see her little punk ass kid died. Stupid ass. She didn't watching him. Apparently you ain't parents. That's what Eminem said. I thought that was forecast. I thought she did. So she read that forecast. Real shit. She got the same odds as those motherfuckers that were reading the weather for Atlanta. But her her premonition was right. But she was confused about the premenation. She was like, wait a minute, now there were two of them, but I just had three something made right, Yes, stupid, one of them was gonna die. It was.
Speaker 3: It was early technology. Wasn't to say, you know, the reception was a little they had to plays How did you feel about the opening the same way? Just immediately turned off?
Speaker 2: Had nothing immediately turned off? I wouldn't. I wasn't curious as to how she was calling the bird and none of it. And I was like, what what is fucking beast master out here?
Speaker 1: Bro? Damn bro animals. When I thought about the opening, uh, it was it was. It was cool. It was cool.
Speaker 3: I think they kind of, you know, it was kind of foreshadowing, like the whole sort of haunting horror elements that you know that kind of played around throughout the rest of the movie.
Speaker 1: You know, and uh, well, I don't know, we we haven't gotten to him yet, but I will say that yeah, yeah, yeah, well we we kind of got into him because he sees her do this or whatever, and then that he's intrigued and he stops what he's doing. Like I said, he's a tutor. He stops what he's doing and he goes on and you know, introduces himself and they pretty much immediately hit it off.
Speaker 3: That was the thing that got me. I was like, God, damn Christ Like, I was like, okay.
Speaker 1: Looking at him, like he's crazy. You see a chick talking to a burden. She's like, I got to hit that. The immediate is wrong with you.
Speaker 3: He said he was bewitched by her.
Speaker 1: Here. Yeah, but yeah, they share a moment and she gives she basically gives him a premonition and early on just saying like, uh not things that I guess you see with him, and she also and I don't think that happened yet. So but yeah, so williams uh damn, he's not revealed. I don't think he's revealed this William yet. He's revealed this William just's not William Shakespeare.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he is revealed as William. You had to be a I'm sorry you got well. I was saying, you have to be a real dumb motherfucker. Rod didn't. When they said it later, I was like, oh, ship, come on, Broad I know, I know, I know how many Williams could there be in this world? I feel you, but I wasn't thinking about it. I take it back. You're not dumb, but it's just you know it's fun. No, it's not fun. It's fun because I didn't. Did you think about it? Like I'm dumbing alone? That is a question. How did you know he was not to be?
Speaker 2: Who did you think it was?
Speaker 1: The will didn't even think about this, that this was the story of I didn't think he was in the story William Shakespeare. You didn't know. You didn't know Hamlet it was this No, No, I didn't know him. It was a son, So yeah, I didn't know that. I didn't have that context. Is that is that part of the Hamlet story? I thought Hamlet was Hamlet was about the king. Yeah, but it's pretty much known that he was writing about his kids. I didn't. Again, I told you, I didn't. I didn't really care for English literature like that. I it's like one of my worst subjects. But really for you English, well know, this type of English regular literature I could kill. But this type of ship I hated and I hated it, especially like when they wanted us to like emulate that write and explain what he's talking about. My fucking are you serious? I hated it. I hated it. But anyway, so William's mother Mary, and for some of the rumors about acting, is it that daughter of the forest witch who taught her or herbal lore which uses later to heal this cut on his forehead. So I know you mentioned about her being a witch anything any of this part and trigued you guys that you know about her being a witch anything.
Speaker 2: I was wondering what she was doing when she was mixing up a little potion forest pharmacist or something like making crack. But I did wonder what she was doing when she took the fly with it.
Speaker 1: Honey, she put it there.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the shit was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. It's just some horror shit. Yeah, snake es, you know all of that. So it did just stand out to anybody else. I was excited for her for about ten minutes because I was like, oh, maybe this is a horror movie. Okay, you everything, it's a horror movie. I was hoping. I was like, Okay, I didn't know she was. It was about witches, so I was like, Okay, she's a witch and she's making some kind of potion and she put it on his forehead. Maybe he'll grow horn out of it and this will get cool.
Speaker 3: But no, I was like, Mike, I did think horror too. I was like, oh, they putting a horror spin on it. I was like, okay, I like this. And it was dark, you know, like what happened, and there were these premonitions and stuff, which is one of the things that.
Speaker 1: I liked about it.
Speaker 3: But I mean, I knew she wasn't a witch, but you know, back in the old times, bruh, Like all you need is the accusation.
Speaker 1: But she was a witch, wasn't she. I mean not in the like I don't think you hast spells on people. She was a witch? How many inublical cords did you see this movie? That's just that's just nah.
Speaker 2: The babies didn't have blood on them, right.
Speaker 1: She's a witch. That's just direction. Bro. No, they had to do that unintentionally because none of the kids had in bilical cords. I feel you, But this was a low budget film. I'd be with you, but for something like this, this wasn't at budget, no budget go there, because I didn't dad that series like where.
Speaker 2: Always I didn't.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying I don't think this is just like a movie that didn't have any kind of budget to put in a biblical cord. This seemed like an indie film to me, but it was. But and the guy, Yeah, thirty five mil. That's enough for in the bilical cord. Yeah, but you know people do that though in movies and shows they won't have it. Yeah, and shitty movies and shows, but like good movies, they haven't bilical cords. Like even Saidie Sweeney had the biblical cord. Yeah, I get you. But why she having the baby in the woods? Then if if she wasn't some kind of witch, I feel you, I feel you. I don't know. I just didn't see any any witch ship other than the fact that she can see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, these these sort of premonitions that may or may not come true, and I think some of them did.
Speaker 1: But I think her having a baby in.
Speaker 3: The woods, I think they were trying to play on the on the accusations of her being a witch.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: I thought I knew the answer, but exactly. Weird.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to remember why would she go because I'm trying to think that she was trying to hide the baby because that baby was still born, right, the one that Judith was was Hamnet was wait, it wasn't Hamon or the girl, but but but he ended up coming he ended up coming back to like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that was that was Judith. Judith was still born.
Speaker 3: But the first baby she had in the woods, she didn't have that child. I think that one was she was pregnant.
Speaker 1: She was pregnant. So she had three total kids? Yeah, yeah, three, Yes, the baby one of them died. Where did you call twin? The two twins handing in and judiful twins?
Speaker 2: They kind of split the screens though. It woods hard to track because I asked the same thing.
Speaker 1: It was not one of them was old and then she had one and the lady was like, oh, you're still in label.
Speaker 3: No, no, those are the twins, right, So she had one before, right, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: In the woods, one of the woods was still alive and walking around. Okay, that was the oldest kid. Yeah, okay, the one that fucking hamd that killed himself for like a dumb ass, stupid little ship. It was I hate that little punk ass boys. What you wanting. You're gonna come over here and save you, get your stupid ass out of here. But we ain't got there yet anyway I'm doing. Do I be that bad? Yes? I'm sorry? Sorry ship anyway, So moving on and moving on. I had another question when I forgot we were sucking around. I said that, so, yeah, Agnes spends a lot of time in the forest. We were just talking about what there's a mysterious k which I kind of comes back around later. William visits Agnes again in the forest, where she asks for a story. He recounts the legend of Orpheus Euris. I thought this was really you didn't like this part? Oh man? They was basically even just telling the same story we're already watching. I know, but but it was just it was just it was just nicely not the way he delivered it was was I don't know, yeah he was.
Speaker 3: He was like, you want a motherfucking store, I got it.
Speaker 1: In tregue like I like that, which comes back around later like like he was really good at storytelling, especially now that well I didn't know he was William Shakespeare. But I'm like, oh no, wonder this motherfucker that ship.
Speaker 5: But that's why that story Shakespeare.
Speaker 1: But that's why. That's what I was thinking watching it.
Speaker 2: I'm like, of course he tells the stories.
Speaker 1: It's William Shakespeare.
Speaker 3: Man, you are you're not telling me you weren't all up in that story. You were like, pen is what I just know.
Speaker 1: She looked bad. Damn she there for eternity. But it's Shakespeare, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Like I expected that. I was like, okay, really holding in on the fact that he's a really good story too.
Speaker 1: I'm bucking y'all thought this was a good story. You sul already know this story. I know the story, but he told it. Well, it's just the way the Bible, it's just the delivery of it, bro the same damn story. We know the story. But I was also looking at it from her perspective. She heard. She was like, She's like, okay, all right, out man, this is good. I was checked out the second I here, complaining she had that burling on her arm. I told you that, oh man, this was a good scene. Man, I really like this, and it hit harder, like because I really did not know he was Shakespeare. I didn't, uh, but no, I really liked this scene. So you liked the scene. Yeah, yeah, I thought because because because I knew the story. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I was like when he started, I was like, all right, well, because I honestly I was like, well, she had to hear the story too. Yeah, you know, I think I was like, you done hurt this ship. So, you know, I thought she was just called.
Speaker 1: Up in the ways.
Speaker 3: It's almost like like remake, right, he was like, hey, man, some such and such that song, but damn the way you say.
Speaker 1: This, all that one held that ship. That's how I was, man, I'm telling you, Mike. And she was caught up. She would the rest because she's lame too. She would in the rest of the movie. Yeah, she was so yeah, oh yeah, yeah, they abruptly had Now yeah, it's sex like at some point. But anyway, I'm losing my.
Speaker 2: Dog and a witch in the fucking on the table.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in the bar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she didn't get Wait a minute, I've never robbed the witch on the second day, No, I never.
Speaker 1: She was a witch.
Speaker 2: Right, you found out afterwards, I'm in trouble now, you don't know that witches that little.
Speaker 1: Saying let's come on yup. Oh my god. Anyway, Agnes predicts William's future by holding his hand at his thumbs or whatever for telling the successful future for him and two children at her bedside, and that's where they you know, they consummate their relationship and pregnating Agnes, leading her UH family to just own her and forcing her to move into move in with William Uh to marry. Agnes gives birth to Susannah in the woods. So we already kind of talked about most of this stuff. Any of this stood out to y'all, like her having the preminisions for him, you know, her having to move in. How did y'all feel about this at this point?
Speaker 3: Well, that's definitely some old school ship you get. You get a girl prednant and ship like that, then all of a sudden that's your wife, you know. But I ain't gonna lie Spike. She ran some good game on him, though. Yeah, when she told us that we're gonna have two kids, she ran the whole game on it. He bought that ship, hook line and sinker.
Speaker 2: He did didn't she have She had a baby in the woods, right, that was her? Yeah, yes, and then she had two babies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was inside. I hadn't gotten there yet though.
Speaker 2: And then she had the one baby. So why are you like she said it was a baby that already she had one kid. She was out there with the hawks. She had a kid.
Speaker 1: No, No, that was just she didn't have no kids. That was just the bird. It was a bird. And she was there. She was there with with the family. That was That was just okay. So I thought one of them that was not her kids. That's my mom at least. I don't think it was out in the streets. She might have been. It wasn't anybody else, any of these nothing. No, yeah, I guess y'all kind of already allude to how y'all felt about the birth. Did you have anything? Can positive? More positive? Said?
Speaker 3: But no, Yeah, like I said, I like that she kind of, you know, foreshadow what was going to happen. Again, I think there's this idea that she's a witch. She's having this premonition, she's doing all this funky ship. She definitely got him bewitched and caught up because the first first time he laid eyes on her, he was hooked, you know, and uh and she put the move on him. And you know, because that wasn't his baby, wasn't the first baby, his baby.
Speaker 1: That's all of them were his baby. What wrong with y'all? That's when he was having on the table. That's that's that's what's what Susannah. Oh, yeah, yeah, damn yeah, that's that's up. That's what Susanna. Susannah bro I thought that was some baby. I thought that. Yeah, what I was thinking because because they had the little the cave thing where it was like it shuts to a scene with it was like that.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so this whole time you're having like this because the way the whole movie was shot, it had this dark kind of element, you know, visual to it.
Speaker 1: So and then you have this dark cave. So I'm sitting I'm like, man, some crazy ship about to happen.
Speaker 3: It didn't really, but I love the haunting like part of it, or her being accused of being a witch and them kind of playing into it with the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for some reason, I never thought that that was gonna come around. It's her being an actual witch. I just I just didn't see that for this movie. I don't know what it was, but yeah, I'm tripping the y'all don't think she was an actual witch. How do you think she sees the future? Well, that's what I'm saying. She a witch in a way of like wicked witch, like you know, like like spells, like a single way. She's a witch.
Speaker 6: I didn't see a cauldron. She was mixing up children. They had a little, small, little cauldron. But she was making she was healing like ointments and ship.
Speaker 2: We just do that. She's a witch doctor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was a witch doctor, like like in fucking fucking New Orders and ship. She will witch in the sense of like the chicken sinners, she will she'll witch in that sense. She a little empty and she was God, she's making a herbal tea because it healed up real quick. Put that ship on it, that eye of newt Oh my god. Anyway, man, So now she's living there and everything she noticed. William has frustration with writing, so she suggests that her brother bark Bar through the mal.
Speaker 7: Through That's Walking book.
Speaker 1: By thollow Me by Tholow. Yes, oh my god, and I had it to I had That's what happened all the time, like I know this word, I know thom to put it in the words spot yeah, and then you get out. Oh man, you just forget your fundamentals. You do use your syllables. God damn, Oh my god, God damn. Anyway about to do it again? Stolen I'm not even to say. And then you bark bark all all right, man, look, send him to London. I don't even think this is gonna be like a funny fucking room in the hell going up. Send him to London for for theatrical career. Oh my god. At this point, I'm still not realizing that this is fucking Will Shakespeare leaving her and Susannah and Stratford. How did y'all feel about this, like her like sending them off? Did y'all think it was anything up with this? Y'all think he was like doing something while because it kind of for me alluded to maybe he was had a life outside of her or something like that. Did anybody have that thought?
Speaker 2: I just took it as he was passionate, like he was passionate about what he did. He didn't do it, and he does he doesn't do a good job of communicating the passion that he has for it, Like she looking like you gotta go out away to London to write.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, oh she didn't send him off to London. She did. She said she wanted to go to to go. That was part of the premonition. She was saying like, no, this is your calling basically, this is what you need to be doing. But I thought he brought up that he wanted to go there. No, this is later. Later he was like I need Later, he was like, I need to go, whereas before she was pushing him to go. You know, a good woman to do that. Man, they ain't gonna be the best version.
Speaker 3: What you gotta do, baby, go do it because I know I've seen the greatness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. You know I don't touch your hand, so I got Yeah. So that's all y'all got on that part.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, she probably regretted later, but go ahead.
Speaker 1: No not Yeah, we do see that. Later she's pregnant and tries to go outside and give birth. This is what you were talking about earlier outside the house because it was part of something like her mom's mom always.
Speaker 2: I guess that's what she was bent over trying to get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which I thought was weird because you don't give birth like that. But anyway, people.
Speaker 2: That really okay, they done it Game of Thrones if I'm mistake.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah they did. They did know something I just recently wanted to do. Oh and walking down what she tried to before. You know're not supposed I can't remember exactly why, but you're not supposed to. This is where she gets get to the twins, Hamnet and Judith, the latter appearing still born, which is Judith. Judith was the one that was still born. Remembering her mother's death. Actus demands to hold the baby despite superstition, and Judith away.
Speaker 2: So that's what the witch. It was obvious both of us just hit me right then when I because she wanted to hold us so she could bring the.
Speaker 1: Back to life. She said give me my baby because the.
Speaker 2: Lady wanted to do it, and she knew she could break go back to life. So that's I see what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, y'all thought she brought the baby back the life. You didn't what happened to it was dead.
Speaker 3: I've just seen this in movies where you know, like giving the baby and then yeah, the mother's touch and then the baby just come back to life.
Speaker 1: Anytime there's a mother's touch, and that motherfuck comes back to life. There a witch. So that's why I took it.
Speaker 3: I mean, they were gonna be twins, so I just like, and again, it's just a movie.
Speaker 1: I said.
Speaker 3: They were just trying to build suspense, intension of drama. So that's how I took it, you know. But she maybe she would because that when.
Speaker 1: Yeah, turned the ass around real quick, like here you go. And y'a didn't think the belching like agony was was good and the belching like she was just like like when she realized that she thought the baby was dead. Oh, the acting was throughout the film. I thought the movie was whack. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't follow the story. Well, that's what I didn't like about.
Speaker 3: The acting was fine, the superstition aspect, because again you're playing into the whole witch elements.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the guy that plays Shakespeare did amazing. Oh God, did a great job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that and that's that's what That's what I was gonna say earlier. That's the guy from Gladiator, right, I think that's the Yeah, I think that's something I could be wrong. I could be giving my wife and this stuff, but he looks like it's all good. So then they do like a pretty it's like a jump jump here where it's eleven years later. And that's that's another thing I liked about this movie. They didn't have to show eleven years later or such such later. You could they clearly tell that we were jumping to a different point, did y'all?
Speaker 2: I didn't know it was eleven years later.
Speaker 1: I thought she was a witch and the goddamn ya some help around the house. This motherfucker was gone for eleven years. No, no, no time, No, he was for eleven They just showed that, you know, he was obviously coming back.
Speaker 2: Back and forth for eleven years.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Well if they didn't say it, then how did you know it was eleven years? Well, that's just that's in my notes that it was eleven. It was. It was, it was, it was up. It was definitely. I don't know if they said I don't know if they said it, but they were, you know whatever, But you could you just tell they were older, honestly. And now William is successful. He returns and while the children grow up very close to Agnes, for tells the uh that Hamnet who wishes to join his father's theater company would flourish. So this is her seeing it again, just like those things. Also, what happens in this moment too? The hawk dies and is buried. She tells the children and children to make a wish to the hawk spirit, who she says, will carry them in his in his heart. How did y'all feel about any of this? While you rolling your eyes like this again, I was, I was thinking that, Okay, this is a horror movie, so at some point something interesting is gonna happen. Now that it's not, I'm just like, I don't care. Who cares, y'all? The fucking bird dies? Oh tell the birdy wish? Shut up?
Speaker 2: Shut up?
Speaker 1: This is stupid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you know, the way they did the old shot of the bird, I think for music it did continue along with that thing of the which thing overhanging that you know, she may or may not have something, But I mean, for the most part, she her premonition were right, So you know, I guess maybe there is something there. But but yeah, I mean we you know, Hamlet did go join It's just not in the way you thought.
Speaker 2: He wrote that Burden to the afterlife.
Speaker 1: Anything for you Spike, Okay, I just want to make sure, buddy, you would love to have more content from frames per second. Become a patron where you can contribute to what we review and discuss. Our patreon gives the listeners the power to nominate and vote a monthly discussion in film review, while also nominating and voting on weekly solo reviews from each cast member. You also get the opportunity to vote on the publicly released anniversary film, all exclusive to our Patreon. So become a patron at patreon dot com frames per second, where there are two tiers you can choose from. That's Patreon dot com forward slash frames per second. So return to London. William Wonder's the streets doing an outbreak of the bublonic plague and watches a puppet show depicting the plague carrying people off to death. Do you remember this or whatever? And so in Stratford, Judy also contracts the play. So yeah, and this is where a Hamnet evokes the tell her the hawk to encourage her and lies beside her, proclaiming he wants to take her place. So I know y'all talking about this earlier. Indeed that it was dumb, But I thought it was sweet that he wanted to, you know, like maybe we can trick him, you know what I'm saying, Like and I can, you know he'll he'll take me instead. Like oh, though this this is very Shakespearean like like stuff right here, Like how did y'all like this? It didn't register with me. I did when you say trick, trick who death? Death? M hmm.
Speaker 2: So death was gonna.
Speaker 1: Come for her. She didn't want to have the plague. He didn't confuse her. You didn't go for him.
Speaker 2: That's what was going.
Speaker 3: Like, he's not getting his jobs like he.
Speaker 1: I've been doing this. It's like death. Death was ready to clock out that day. He saw him and was like, okay, you here to hey man, we seeing in the final definition. You know what I'm saying. Death don't always get it right, but always it may take a minute, but he gets your as This ship was stupid stupid. I mean, it's not stupid that this little kid would do that, because little kids are stupid, and it makes sense that little kids do stupid ship. I was more so just like where the fuck is where you witch? You know the daughter has the plague? How do you even get in there with her in the carne. How you get in it by herself?
Speaker 2: Why do he? It seems like as much as many This is why it frustrated me as many people that died from the plague. I knew it was a crazy thing. She's not like you said, I don't know what they got to put in the barn, but that I'm damn sure gonna watch my son because he may be naive enough to not know how fucking deadly this is or how this virus spreads, like, no, you not going anywhere near your sister. It's never gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Did were they knowledgeable about the plague? I know William knew, but did they know? Did the news they reach into them? You know they didn't know? And it was just the regular illness. Then she may not have had the wherewithal to do that, you know, so I could I could see that. But but what I will say, as a parent, when one kid is sick, you do keep the other kid away. So that's just that's just stand up protocol.
Speaker 1: You know what she did know what that her premitition says she only had two, so why wouldn't she be like, oh shit, this little motherfucker got this, got this sickness. Let me isolate her and put everybody else in another place because she might die whatever, whatever, whatever. It just man, No, this wasn't powerful to me. This wasn't emotional. It was like, this is ridiculous. You're you're a shitty ass witch.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't focusing so much on her. I was just focusing on the moment with Hamnet, and especially be since it's called Hamnet, so I was wondering, you know, I was just really focusing on like, Okay, why you know it's called hamded it, Like, I guess you need to pay attention to this boy. He didn't even do ship, I know, and I was I was a little disappointed by that, but I do like he did so he died and yeah, yeah, I mean he was. He was the inspiration behind the place. So that's what I'm saying. I didn't know that's what what it was gonna be.
Speaker 3: It's you know, Shakespeare, so you knew something fucked up was gonna happen.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be a of course, but for the whole movie to be named after this little motherfucker, I think he's gonna do some cool ship I did think that too. I did think that, but I wasn't mad at dying. That's not cool. It was not cool. It's not cool, but you know, I like I like that it was dedicated or whatever. Anyway, So because he did that, Judith recovers and Hamnet himself gets sick and basically dies. But on his deathbed, he envisions himself on a stage calling for his mother and acting, and the hawk is appearing. William like rushes home and he's you know, he's sad. I thought this was really good. Y'all. Didn't like this When he came in he saw that Judith was was was not sick anymore, and she was alive, not realizing, oh ship, now my son has died.
Speaker 2: Y'all didn't like this work, y'all? Yeah, I mean again, the acting was great. It just the story was so I did like this boy him reacting to it. How you could tell how herd he was as a dad.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, he was happy at first because she was because he's still because he didn't know because I mean, you know, they didn't he didn't have phones and no ship. All he knew was that the daughter. While he was traveling, he was going to try to see if his daughter. How do you know that part? I mean I thought he saw was that bird. He was like, oh, Ship, the bird's flying, let me run home. Well, I just you know, you know word traveled that I don't know see. Yeah, yeah, I didn't need that because we knew that they got met. I mean, we we've all seen Game of Throws and all the other ship. I would be with you if this motherfucker didn't look at this flying bird and jump on his horse and start going. But I think he would have known about the bird too, right, Rob, He's not going to race home because he heard a bird died. Yeah, he heard word of his his daughter, which is why he got there. He thought it was the daughter because he's been traveling and he has no other word that is his son. So when he gets there, he's concerned about the daughter. So I thought that was good that you know, that shows the time and that you know, in his travel he's worried about his daughter. But when he gets there, he's like, oh, ship, him knew, How did you feel about it?
Speaker 3: No, I thought it was I thought it was good. Like he was like a lady. He was happy. He was like, oh, you better cool, We're good, we Gucci, and then he was saying it was like my poor son, my poor baby, and you know it was it's always your one of your worst nightmares as a parent. But you walk in and you you see that your daughter is as well, and you're happy, you're relieved, only to you know, for that nightmare to be around right around the corner, like right there right behind you. Yeah, and and oh my god, the mom, oh man, the scream, the pain that she shown.
Speaker 1: I think this is the part where she screamed, not the not the first Yeah, that part was good, And so was the part where the daughter Judith, which is the older daughter Susannah Susannah, when she was getting dragged away and she was like, no, he needs me. That part was really good. Yeah. Yeah, oh and then she also said that I thought the daughter was also like, don't you see that he's done? Like he's gone, like like the mom didn't want that was the other lady that was the that was that was the other lady that said that they say, can't you see that's he's gone? That was either that that was either William's mother, and there was also some other lady that was like a midwife or some I think it was some mom that's actually really good in stuff. I forgot her. Yeah, she is really good.
Speaker 2: I fear her name too, but she's a really good actor.
Speaker 1: But anyway, this causes like some strange strain in the marriage, like because he's you know, the death of the son, so she's basically depressed and and grieving and then he's dealing with it in his own way. He's going back to London working things like that. But in the intern though, he does buy the largest house in Stratford and departs for London again. Agnes holds his hand and says she now sees nothing because at this point, like she doesn't want them to go. What you said, it came back and by it in the butt. Like first she was telling him like, yeah, go there, get money for the family, you know, come back with the bread and we live. Well what he did, yeah, yeah he was bomb but yeah it just wasn't enough for her, like especially in this moment, in this time or whatever. So how do y'all feel about this conflict?
Speaker 3: You know, seeing them kind of deal with and process grieving in their own way. You know, her losing a child that she carried, you know him probably is feeling some sort of guilt for not being there, you know, being in the whole of the city, leaving her there alone, not being there to support her through this moment. If he was there, he p really he could have been the one who was like, no, you don't need to be in there with your sister. Your sister needs to get get well. We need to we you know, he probably knew more about the play. It was like, this is a very serious disease that is going around, so we need to keep everybody like isolated. So who and you know his way is to I'm a just floss. I'm but just buy the biggest house that he doesn't even live in, you know. And you know we see later on which I'm sure to get to him also reacting on all other people, so you know, I you know, it was it was good seeing all that kind of play out.
Speaker 1: Got you an y'all got anything on this.
Speaker 2: You can see the strain from him being away. He was pouring all of his passion and emotion into his writing. He wasn't point any into his home, and I think that kind of when she said she doesn't see anything no more, because there was no passion for his family. She didn't believe, but he was a certain all of that to what he was writing.
Speaker 1: Right, So, you knowing that he's William Shakespeare at this point, did you like that? Did you?
Speaker 2: It made sense because like, how else would William Shakespeare become William skespeare passionate as he was that liking? So it made sense.
Speaker 1: I like, Mike, Yeah, I was like, man, she is sorry as they should have fucking burned her at the stake.
Speaker 2: She's sorry.
Speaker 1: I never said that she was a witch. She didn't have to say it. I could tell she had a fucking three babies with no umbilical course. It's a movie, man. Nah. Nah, she couldn't bring a little motherfucker back to life. She is sorry, ass witch. She should have tried that again. Give me my baby, Bobby Boo, bring that motherfucker back to life, all right? Man. So now we move into like where William is rehearsing Hamlet in London, And at this point I know y'all think I'm stupid, but I still don't not realize that this is William Shakespeare. But it's frustrated with his cast for the lack of passion. Excuse me. And this is where we hear the famous quote to be or not to be that when it clicked, y'all was like, oh shit, I think this is uh Wayne Shakespeare. Wow. And but yeah, so yeah, how did y'all feel about that? I mean, I know I was dumb. I didn't realize it, but there was that A nice review to y'all or I like that the it was.
Speaker 2: Like you said, the Leo moment. Yeah, I mean like, oh he said the thing.
Speaker 1: That's how I felt too, he said, word, yeah, I mean it was cool.
Speaker 3: You know, it's a famous line. I don't know if it hit in the in the way that I guess maybe they thought it it would, but you know it, it was still cool. They had to write it in and there. I just like the fact that he was just cussing out everybody else that was working there.
Speaker 1: He was like, again, y'all not passionate enough, like but then he did it and he saw the difference. But I was like, that's not fair, man. This is your experience, so of course you're gonna gonna deliver it differently. You know.
Speaker 2: I think the director would be a good director would be like that. I think, what do you mean, like in movies when you see people actors say like some directors bring certain stuff out of them because they want them like they are that passionate and telling them like, you're not doing it right, Do it again, do it again, do it again. I think that's part of good directing, your storytelling.
Speaker 1: Maybe if he was acting that way before, before.
Speaker 2: It had to do with the loser of his son, they should have said, I thought your little son died, maybe a fucking babysitter or something. Why you yelling at me, punk ass?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see.
Speaker 2: I don't think they knew this that though, not unless he told him.
Speaker 1: I don't think he knew that, because that's in a whole nother place where that bird ghost told him. But and then I also noticed that, you know, the play was called Hamlet and not ham Knitt, and I I just initially thought that he was just trying to protect the instance of his son's name or I don't know, like I just thought, yeah, he just tried to change it a little bit so it won't be his actual son's name, which I thought was interesting because I didn't I didn't I didn't know that about Hamlet. I read that, but I still don't really get it? What were they say that those names are interchangeable. Basically they mean the same thing, So that's what I'm saying. So I think that's why, because this worry is about his son, so he just in this movie, just in general, I think they're saying that the name Hamlet and ham Net just in the term in English, the term the the literature itself. That's what I thought. I thought they were basically like saying, like Mark and Mike are the same name. You're saying they're saying specifically in this reference. So maybe stood is it two different like languages or something. It's not because you know.
Speaker 2: In Spanish they called like it translated George is similar.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's funny, but but but I think they just are the same. They're interchangeable. It's basically what but specifically to this maybe I don't call me, don't don't quote me on that. At first I thought that was right, but it could be it could be handed his Hamley for real, right, that's why.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, because this is historical fiction, you know, built around Shakespeare's son Stealth. But that part in the beginning, I thought maybe back in the day that it did mean the same thing.
Speaker 1: I didn't look up to see how in a way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But then when we get to this part, I'm like, oh, well, maybe that's what they meant, Like since he changed the name of the play to Hamlet, that's why they they were saying, they kind of meant the same thing.
Speaker 1: So what Google says is that the play Hamlet draws from an older Danish legend, but the similarity in names Hamnet Hamlet, and the timing fuels the popular theory that Shakespeare channeled his grief into his famous tragedy. So it's not really I guess I don't know where I read that they were the same, but it's not. Okay, yeah, because, like I said, what actually happened to Himnet isn't the Hamlet store right right right, I'm saying. So I thought that was interesting. It's just an inspiration for the story he wrote for Hamlet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, is that yeah? Yeah yeah, So they put that at the beginning. They wanted to take the truth story of his son dying and try to use that as the inspiration for Hamlet.
Speaker 1: And I thought that was good. I thought I really liked that. I'm want to put out some things about the play itself. But so yeah, Agnes stepmother Jones. She shows her the play bill for the production of Hamlet in London and but but Agnet basically rebukes her and and they travel to London and see William, finding him absent from his home. They resolved to attend his performance at the Hamlet at the Golden Globe Theater, and Agnes is initially offended at her son's name being profane. They were like, yeah, yeah, don't you say the name of my son? That was? That was not damn you say the name of my thunnest. I think at this point this is where they started saying that it's William Shakespeare. And I was like, oh ship, they said it was William Shakespeare right when they got to town. Okay, well, remember the dude said, why is William Shakespeare living in a place? Like that's right and that You're like, oh my god, damn it. Yeah, I was. That's hilarious. I know I watched this alone.
Speaker 2: I did, Okay, I did earlier.
Speaker 1: I did watch it alone. But yeah, I don't know, man, Like, like I just didn't I didn't know. I didn't know that. I don't know what I was thinking, Like I just it just wasn't connecting that that this was William Shakespeare, and so I thought that was so cool that he was William Shakespeare. And I was like, oh, ship, that's why the motherfuckers so cold with with with the lyrics, was so cold with the bars.
Speaker 3: Shakespeare my number one rapper in the of the day, right, I'm like, damn three. I did think it was funny when she tried to lie at and tried to lie to the people in the city about what the play was about. And she was like, nah, we know your child, Danny, we know what's going on.
Speaker 1: Don't sit here and try to pull that ship on us. That was when she handed the play building ship. Yeah, she went in.
Speaker 2: I think this was the best part of the movie.
Speaker 1: So okay, well you didn't like this work.
Speaker 2: He was supposed to be the ghost of it on right when he came out in Yes, I believe that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was fire.
Speaker 2: He absolutely fire. He put his foot in his acting bag because he came out and he nailed it, like he absolutely he made her shut up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was. She was just like y'ost she had to be quiet and appreciate greatness. She's like, oh, ship, dude, this was captivating. Would you not think it was captivating? Because I don't fucking like Shakespeare's plays, So having to watch someone watching a fucking play, I was like, what is this ship man? Are y'all serious? That not y'all but the movie? Are they serious? Like? Are we seriously watching them watch this fucking boring ass play?
Speaker 2: I felt like they're going into that in that scene. But then he acted out and I was like, oh, okay, but I swear I said the same thing, like we're not gonna watch him watch a play, like we're not going to watch her watch a play. And then she on top of that, she's interrupting it too. But then when he came out in the white and shit, was like, oh shit, this thing so and then you talk about the team, team, team like that was a part of the play. And then and if you think about it, he was doing that with his son. So that's what I'm saying. It was like inspired. The Hamlet story was inspired because Hamlet was about him with his son. It was just about like revenge from the killing.
Speaker 1: Of the king. I got that because I knew it was Shakespeare. Yeah, I mean, but like, but it was cool. It was a callback because it's just like, oh, that's where that came from. Think he's drawing from things with his family and things with you know, Like I was like, damn that, that's that's really cool. How did you feel, a buddy king? No, I liked it. I liked it. I was I was like her. I was offended too.
Speaker 3: I was like, bro, the nerve with you to see it and run off to England, leave your wife behind with her own grief. You bought this big ass house, you're not even standing and she back there in this fucking cabin or whatever it is, and uh and and you're up here living the life, and then you don't have the nerve to write this damn play.
Speaker 1: The play was called Hamlet, and didn't they say ham Let in the play? That's what I think might be like, Man, shut the fuck up, I ain't talking about your little past. Can she heard him? Then? Yeah? So?
Speaker 3: But nah, I thought I thought, I thought this this was good, like seeing her drastic like turn around from from horror and you know, being upset to appreciation, you know as well, so Mike, you know, like when when he held out his we didn't held out his hand, and the way she's just like man were like touching her. She got to touch her kid for one last time.
Speaker 1: Almost No, she didn't. That motherfucker beard with that bird. But that's how strong that that That's how that's showing how powerful the playing because it's like this lady was grieving, like really she remember she came into this whole ship distraught and turned out a whole new chick like she was laughing by the end of this.
Speaker 3: I was grieving and handless. Handless backstage like fuck I killed that ship. He did, but I wrote the hell out.
Speaker 1: Of that ship. I didn't know what I'm gonna have to do this ship. I do this ship. You know what I'm like, I am big motherfuckerg Yeah for real, kid, that's how he was. I just didn't. I can't look at this scene and really understand why they're all reaching out to touch his hand like that. It didn't hit me like that, so it's like, this is ridiculous. Why are y'all acting like this? Y'all don't even know him in it. But that's how that's how much you're into the story, which I thought was cool because we get into stories like I mean, we watched movies, right, we cry, We laugh. Last Cloud acted, I'll tell you that much. You know, y'all Cut y'all, I'll reach your hands out and cut. That's true. So I think in this time it was a really good depension of depiction of like them being really into the story. That how good of a writers. But we saw that they do the little puppet plays and ship and that's just wax. I guess, okay, so that's why he wanted Michael Jackson. No, I ain't Shakespeare wasn't. No said one of those puppies like Michael Jackson.
Speaker 2: I said, it's like Michael Jackson, everybody be trying to touch it this.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Yeah, but Noah, Man, I really enjoy I'm with Spike Man and Ken. I really enjoyed this part because it just showed like that that time period's equal like equality to like you know, how we watch a good ass film or whatever. Like I thought that was dope, man. And you know, her going in there, like I said, realizing that it's it's actually about her son, because what actually happens is when when he does come out as the ghost of Hamlet's father, she realizes that the play is a tribute to Himnet and you can see that realization, and she's like, oh, Ship, this is what you've been doing. This is how you've been grieving, you know, because she can you know, she know she's been grieving, and this is the way he's he's he's been handling, which moves her to tears. By The scene between Hamlet and his father with your guys already kind of alluded to backstage is where we see William notice Agnes break down in tears while listening to the play and returns to watch her from the wings. Played progressions through the scenes, swore fighting, which we talked about, uh doing the scene where Hamlet dies, that's what we did, talked about the reaching out towards the actor's hand. Then she had visions then this after that, that's what she envisions. Hamnet on the stage, seen earlier as his dying vision, now moving from sadness to a smile before disappearing into the backstage through a hole like the one of the mystical forest in the cave for the first time since Hamnon's death, Agnes lasts and smiles. Stupid correct man, This was so man, This was beautiful was on stage. This was beautiful, man. That damn ghost was the smile too. I thought they bodied the end of this man like it was very similar to the For me, I thought it was very similar to the to the one we just had. We just watched with sentimental value, with the expressions of like how you see it changed without her actually saying something, and you see the connection between with William and her they look at each other. It's just like an unspoken relief, Like he feels relief that people, you know, that he made something that's very powerful in the name of his son to uh what am I trying to say? To honor him? To honor his son? So yeah, I thought that was dope. And then she she appreciated and I know that was the satisfaction for him that she actually appreciated it and got it right. So nah, man, I thought they did very well with it. And like I said, even though it's a tragedy, she was able to find the silver lining in it or whatever to be able to laugh and smile. So that's how I felt about it. I don't know what the fuck was funny, even if I'm just looking at the play. What are you giggling about? Woman? Your son is? It's like relief, It's like you. It's like the laugh after you have some after grief, right Like. I don't know if you ever had that moment before, but I've had similar moments like that, where you know, laugh no not not like somebody's dad was gonna be on stage the sun Yeah, said that Hamlet was gonna be said earlier you checked out.
Speaker 2: I thought, I thought that's what she chuckled about.
Speaker 1: Okay, that see he's played better. But Mike, he's gonna ask her, what the are you laughing at? When he came. I didn't put nothing funny. I thought you was in my play? Are you laughing about.
Speaker 2: Laughing at my sol?
Speaker 1: Wouldn't be dad, if you was at home paying tention, you're laughing at my play. And she was blaming him too, she was, I was fucked up. How are you gonna blame me? I wouldn't even here. I was with them, you were, you're with him? He was upstairs told me to leave. You sure did. And you're supposed to be all seeing ass witchet to go back to witch school. Bro, you suck that the original gas are you right now? Bullshit? That was messed up? That was really should have put her on the fucking pole. And let her on fire. Oh my god, she's sorry as hell. I don't know how you don't think she was a witch. She sees a dead sorry. She got all of it right, you know what I'm saying. She saw a dead person on the stage. Nobody else saw that dead ass motherfucker but her. She is a witch. This is a connection she had, man to the witch world, to the witch world anyway, man, Yeah, I thought. I thought even the way he redesigned the set like to be you know, as a dedication to her as well, because she was so connected to the forest, that cave, all of that, so all that he thought about all of that, I thought that was really cool. Man. It was like a love like just like a letter to to her, like because she just would not listen to him, and she and she was mad at him. And this play was so powerful that it basically brought him back together. But we don't know what they got back to. We don't know if they got back together or she. I don't know. He in the city with a big ass house, He wouldn't found some better ship this witch. No more, bro moved up. Have me another song with somebody else. But do y'all have any any, any last thoughts about the about everything but the movie. I'm glad y'all liked it because I was gonna when I walked in here, I was gonna say that we need to be a little bit more discerning about the movies we paid because I really expected everyone here to hate this. I thought I was gonna hate it. But since y'all liked it, then fine, I me, we can yeah where it is this week. And I honestly don't think we always always got a review ship that we know we're gonna like. I don't mind reviewing ship that out of my wheelhouse. I don't either, But if it's something that everybody here yeah, like I don't want to watch this, then that's a different story. That is a different story. So y'all ended up liking it, then it worked out. But I don't want to watch no more Shakespeare bullshit.
Speaker 3: That's why sometimes I like watch this stuff out of my wheelhouse because I will I may actually end up liking it.
Speaker 1: I cannot believe you like this anyway. I see the awards with sentimental value with this, I do not see it. Man, I don't even know what this was nominated for the Best Picture that's crazy unless it's to put people to sleep. I don't I don't know, man, this this hit, this hit what this this doesn't even sound right like? I don't know, man, just it was. It was a good story from from starting to finish to me, especially being that that hacause you like romance, but this wasn't really as a trate you like. And then the you know, the sort of overhanging thing of her being a witch is what I like. See that didn't go anywhere. That didn't go anywhere for him. That's my problem. Don't introduce her being a witch and she's not gonna do nothing cool. I feel like they didn't need that part. How would you expect them, man, I already asked you the fact that they need the witch for it, then they needed in bilical cords. Man, movies do that, not movies like this, movies do this. Maybe they didn't have the bblical cords back in the day like that. I liked it because it was like because they always.
Speaker 3: They always accused people to being a witch, but without actual real proof, it's just kind of a thing.
Speaker 1: It's just like you're just talking about some of the rumors and ship like that. Well, if the movie left that ambiguous, that would be a different story. But she's like, oh I see my son on stage and a premonition. It's like, okay, so then you're a witch then so do something cool, fly make some kind of love potion. Yeah, he was hoping for a different movie. I was hoping for something good. Yeah, he was living for something different. But that's fine. But yeah, man, no I enjoyed them. Glad you enjoyed the King would have been up shit create Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 1: Fighting for my life up but but I wouldn't have been. Yeah, it's I thought it was good man. So yeah, I'm glad we are ended up watching it. It wasn't task too though. I will say that this one took me two times to get through. So yeah, but once I got through it, I was like, all right, cool, I like that. But anyway, man, yeah, this has been another France for second episode. Man, we like I said, we reviewed handle it. Make sure you check us out. This is just a regular regular episode, right but yeah, man, make sure you follow us everywhere man, YouTube, fps, podcasts, and also our Patreon where you get like exclusive anniversary reviews, get solo reviews. So yeah, definitely make sure you tune in there. That's our French second Patreon dot com Ford last France per Second podcast, So yeah, man, make sure you check us out. But yeah man, this has been another review. Until next time, peace, peace,