Speaker 1: The Frames per Second Podcast.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome to the Frames per Second Podcast, where we are reviewing the brand new Netflix show, The vent Staples Show. This is season two, six episodes of the dark dramedy. They're calling it not supposed to be too funny, but funny enough. So I'll go around the room here to see what you guys start about it. Rod, what do you think about the venta?
Speaker 1: I don't think it too much of a face. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, it's not I don't know if it's hitting the way that he wants it to. And I said this about the last one to a certain extent, and I thought because of the second one, he would get there. Don't know if he ever heard our review, and I know he fucked with us, man, But I hate to be critical, but I just got to be honest. It's just like it's it's missing somewhere. I like some of the commentary on it, but I think overall it doesn't quite get there for me. But I do like some of the commentary in it, you know what I'm saying. I would love for him to come on the show and explain this ship, honestly, just like ship that I'm missing that I might be.
Speaker 1: Missing or whatever.
Speaker 2: But but but nah, it's it's just it's just okay to me. It's just okay to me. It's it's not it's not great, and I thought it would. And that's what I said about the last It's not great, but it's cool, you know what I mean? And I guess it's just kind of still there and honestly like a little bit less than that.
Speaker 1: First. I hate that because I fu with.
Speaker 2: It's heavy and he knows it and I and I would like, I said, I would love for him to come on the show and explain it. But yeah, we get into what didn't work for you? Rob, Mike, what do you think about it? It was all right, same thing.
Speaker 3: No, I think I might have liked it a little bit more than Rod. But it was it was fine, and there were there were This one had more of like a weird horror edge to it. So I was entertained. I was entertained.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: We said before at least I said, I don't want to blame y'all. I said before that it feels very much like his version of Atlanta. Yeah, this felt even more like his version of Atlanta. But I think I enjoyed it just as much as the first season, maybe maybe even a little bit more because I mean that episode where they were in the car had me in literal tears.
Speaker 1: Damn episode.
Speaker 3: So I think him taking like a darker turn for this one was a good move.
Speaker 1: So Nah, I liked it.
Speaker 2: He did come out and say this would be darker than the first time you did. I mean, some of that stuff worked for him in the first one, but Ken, what'd you think.
Speaker 1: One? I'm glad that it was only two and a half hours for all six episodes, even though I wish I feel like you probably need I don't know why he's only doing twenty to twenty three minutes, but maybe that's all they can give them. But overall, I enjoyed it. I liked the darker horror side that he was doing with it. You know, some clear messaging, so I'm not so clear. You know, you have to kind of really think a process what's going on? From me? The standout was the mall oh yes, I mean she yes. She was absolutely brilliant. It felt like Vince was doing a lot of attempts at acting. He was trying to act more this one with certain facial expressions and stuff like that. When the first one I felt like he was just being him, and this one it felt like he was trying to put on some acting chops in certain certain scenes, especially early on. But a show about Vince Staples being vent Staple is an interesting sort of we're a meta type show that you're doing, like, because there was a lot of that in this movie, about him being in this world but also being a superstar in this world and arn't you making the show winners in that sad sort of thing though he.
Speaker 2: Was doing that worked for me. That was one of my favorite things about it, Like just the meta version of like, oh, this is vn Staples, but it's an exaggerated version, almost like some Curb Your Enthusiasm Sinfield type stuff. So that was pretty cool. I agree with you, Ken. The mother also stand out, like I feel like in the episode that she weren't in definitely declined from the episodes that she were in I did, And I feel like it started high and then I was with you rot and start like just going downhill. By the time you get to episode six, he's like, Okay, I'm glad this exists, but I may could have enjoyed it more if something else were in there, maybe some more comedic people that I recognized, maybe some other actors, but it definitely lacked something. But I did still enjoy it. I appreciated it. I liked the dark term. Like you said, Mike, I did like the horror feel of it as well. So all in all, it was worth the two and a half hour watch. I thought it was gonna be six hours as first as an hour episode, so I'm glad it was twenty eight minutes. I'm glad that they didn't do that. I forgot, like you said, right, that they do the shorter shows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, they show.
Speaker 2: Icked it pretty quickly.
Speaker 1: I like that it exists too, I will say that. Yep. All right.
Speaker 2: So the first episode is called Country Maine's Fun. In this Vents, of course, is a vicxenalized character of himself. He begins the new season really from the death of his uncle James Brown. His uncle James, he re embarked, excuse me. He embarks on a road trip with his mam and Nia and his sister Brie, and the whole theme for this episode is grief, family legacy, and departure from his usual environment. Where it's leaving the beach and going to his uncle's funeral. Did this first episode jump out to you guys, Like, what did you think about it?
Speaker 1: Watching?
Speaker 2: It's probably one of my It's probably my favorite episode out of the whole ship. I like the start, like and I kind of felt like I wish it would have kind of stayed here on like more like industry type of ship than the whole O Jay Elite is type ship that they that they did this is. I think I wanted more of this and it kind of started kind of veering away from this this idea, like we didn't even hear about this shit anymore. Like you know, when we tell you I could, I could let you know about the music industry or whatever. You know you're talking about the interaction with the producer, Yeah, I like.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: I like what they did with that, you know, I feel like he's closer to that. I don't know any I don't know, yeah, I don't know. I feel like he's closer than that than what what the story ended up being about.
Speaker 1: He just completely shipped on that producer in front of the knowing it was a producer.
Speaker 2: I felt like it was going there when he was saying, Man, this team don't do nothing for it. I gotta do right here was that funny that you.
Speaker 1: Can I was still trying to get back into like his sort of comedic style. You know, it's it's very dry, deadpan. You hear the line, there's no you know, it's no laugh track or anything like that. But I think for me, man, it was just the mama that she stood out immediately asap, like cussing his ass out every single moment. I wanted to see less events in the first Yeah, I'm sorry, Like when he went to the to the machine and then they got stuck and then he ran and jumped into it.
Speaker 2: That's not how you do it. Got a rocketbacker, you got to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know him, you know, giving the guy money, getting the car told you know, all that stuff. I did, like when he threatens and the rap, it was like, my mom was crazy and like that.
Speaker 2: That was good and I think he do a good job in acting. And when he pulled him to the side and I didn't talk to you. What do you think about it? I liked this episode. I thought it was funny. I thought it was funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, his mom definitely took a bit of the shine from Vince, but no, I.
Speaker 1: Was it was good and I don't even know if she was acting.
Speaker 2: Bro, she's underrated. Yeah, she's great. She's dope. She's definitely. It seems like he told her this is how my mom and just do this time.
Speaker 1: Go to Tom for a minute.
Speaker 2: But in the interviews and stuff he talks about, he was like, Tyler's mom is like that. He was like, me and my mom are friends, Like it's my homegrol Yeah, so like they talked to each other like, which I found out hilarious. Rob, what the grocery scene, you had some interesting shots from like a camera angle that part aesthetically like this ship is great the yeah, uh cinematography. I've always commended him on that. With his music videos, even the arts and creative ship that he does. He's very you just wouldn't think this is from a gangster.
Speaker 1: Us dude, like like the should he be doing. You just wouldn't expect that.
Speaker 2: So it's always just like it's just always surprising to me that he's just that creative. So but now it's dope though, It's it's like one of those you can't judge his book box cover, Like the dude is fucking dope when it comes to creativity. I think he wrote this shit too, he wrote he did a lot of writing on here, so but not for the shots and stuff. Yeah, the shots were I'm trying to think of one in particular. Like he did a lot of pans. He did a lot of dollar work here. Yeah, man, he did some traditional traditional things here to good like bill making stuff. Right, No, he absolutely did.
Speaker 1: I know it's not that type of review, but I think Vin's talent speaks to the systemic issues we have because there's a lot of talent and creative people that are stuck that we don't get a chance to utilize their talent as he was just one man did. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like even the lighting on the on the on the countryman Mini Cooper, that was dope. He called that ship countryman. That's funny, but it's a countryman. It's called countrymen. Uh, it's the type of Mini Cooper. It's like there de luxe version, yeah or whatever. But even though they lit that ship was dope. So I like how Vince was presenting as to I've been going through this ship with my uncle. I ain't shaved, I ain't done none of this and how that comes back and he tell dude to google him, yeah, and he look at it. White dude was like, I think that's you. That was funny. Yeah, Like that was one of the laugh out moments for me. And then especially when black dude walked through it and he was like, man, tell them who I am.
Speaker 1: He was like, you now he he took. He kind of took. I know that. I know. The mother was great, but man, his his cameo was fun stellar. He did a good job.
Speaker 4: He came out and pulled his shirt up and it had the.
Speaker 1: Name I was like, oh no, you fucked up Vin.
Speaker 2: And I think this was good commentary on because Vince don't seem like one of those type of dudes where he tell people a lot like, man, you can google who I am, Like he could come up as Jerry Regular very just so I'm sure that this happens to him. And I really enjoyed how he told that story on.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I did like the I didn't even know I could grow up here. Bro.
Speaker 2: Yeah he looked like scruffy rough like he's a good point.
Speaker 1: I never realized. Yeah he does. He is like kind of baby face like shape and ship like Vin's going through it. Bro.
Speaker 2: I didn't think about that part anything else about episode one. No, Like I feel like this was probably there was a fight in this episode, right yeah.
Speaker 1: Between him and the black dude, a big black dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because he's I'm black built niggah like fun when he was fucking.
Speaker 1: Oh that was funny. Yeah, it was good. And the mom taking shots with the clerk. She was like, he said, I can't let you drive even here shots the whole time.
Speaker 2: Yea, even like the subtle ship, like when he when he did hit the subtle machine and it's and the little thing from his uncle came out, you know, the back the little promo ad had.
Speaker 1: Dripped and it was just it was just like a little sidebar.
Speaker 2: But it came back around when she was sitting there and she looked over and it was him, and I was just like, damn, that's cool or whatever because I forgot all about that OJ was his uncle from the first season. Well it is James.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny, like it's creative.
Speaker 2: It is a funny thing to do alright. Next is episode two. This isn't called the Petting Zoo and while on the road or just after the trip began, Vince intervenes and the ongoing beef between the mam and Nita and the sister breath landing the family of the sketchy roadside pitch stop and he's caught between the rolls of son, brother and mediator. This is the majority of this episode was arguing in the car. Did this work for you guys?
Speaker 1: Mm? Absolutely, this was hilarious.
Speaker 3: The mom was giving it to the Oh my god, but I swear to God when when she popped the door and this was like, man, you can't just leave my mom on the side of the road.
Speaker 1: And she was like, I'm not gonna leave. I'm gonna be that ass. And then the mama was like what come? Come on? She got and the way she ran right was so funny. She said take me back to the old school or something like that. This worked for me because she said she had just fallot somebody else right right, she wanted some smoke.
Speaker 3: It did make me want to go back and rewatched the first season because I couldn't figure why they were fighting.
Speaker 2: I couldn't remember something happened at the had something happened at They never showed it, right, I don't think so it was something with the macaroni. I remember vaguely it was something with the Auntie mac Garni.
Speaker 1: But they made it seem like it was it was another incident.
Speaker 2: That Yeah, I do remember the macaroni incident though, when she was like man because she said something about.
Speaker 1: I do remember that.
Speaker 3: But I think in the next episode they did explain that what they were fighting about.
Speaker 2: But I thought it was something we never actually saw what she said that you didn't even call. You just left me to deal with them, but yourself, you didn't show up as well.
Speaker 1: And then she and then she said, well, write a letter, bitch that you blocked me.
Speaker 2: She had some bars she.
Speaker 1: Had that she has to be in prov Yeah, and the system was funny too. I mean she has She was.
Speaker 2: She was a girl in the car like one of the one of the finals in the last season.
Speaker 1: But she was in the car.
Speaker 2: She was she was like one of the girlfriends of a boy named not paper Boy, Oh.
Speaker 3: Lovely key Stanfield, motherfucker, oh boy ship loo Key saying Phil did you say Keith.
Speaker 1: I didn't hear you say Keith.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry I didn't hear you say yeah, Keith. Yeah, she was in the car with him and she was going off and and ship. I do remember that that's her. That's it's one of one of the final episodes. I think it's the last episode. Actually got out of the car something you got the.
Speaker 1: Car and ship. Yeah, yeah, that's her.
Speaker 2: She's also an abbot too elementary. Yeah, she's one of the she's one of the parents they kept bringing up to reoccur. That was hilarious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's why they were doing that then. Yeah, because he's recent.
Speaker 2: Vince played in it, and there was another dude this day was like minion check he plays in it too.
Speaker 1: But yeah, this this whole thing was was good. At the abortion jokes funny. It was so little down bro.
Speaker 2: It was like and in his little commentary like that's sucked up, ship man.
Speaker 1: That was funny that this was good.
Speaker 2: I wasn't crazy about the gas station part though, Oh your really, Oh my god, that ship was so good extra it just seemed a little too over the top for me.
Speaker 1: In the gas station.
Speaker 2: I don't know what did y'all like about the gas station were hiding from the dude you talk about it like, yeah, it's like what she ran him over? He ran that part that was hilarious. Run aver apart was was funny.
Speaker 1: She said, keep going, nigga, right, I would have made sure. That's why I would have pulled it back. She was so fucking she was.
Speaker 2: I was. It was like the first three episodes that for real, laugh out loud.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the car scene was fucking great.
Speaker 2: Cried when they hit dude, bro, nigga, keep going.
Speaker 1: Then he started like you're not gonna go back. You're like, nope, we ran out of gas. And then the gas station just appeared out of nowhere and he saw the price of the gas.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was six six sixty.
Speaker 1: It is corny, but it was still funny.
Speaker 2: I was saying like this part was just a little coin and the sister was like, I ain't going into some Omiuni gas.
Speaker 1: She disappeared out of and then she said I'm not gonna stay in this car. Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all of that was good, but you said the gas station stuff was too over the top, like hide and thinking the dude was a killer and stuff like that. That was did did the payoff work though it being a jerky business, they would just be like nice white guy. He was like, sorry to get your car with my body.
Speaker 1: And then the system ended up bonding over it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, talking about he was he was sexy and some ship.
Speaker 1: I was like, Na, that was funny. She looked like that too. I liked.
Speaker 3: I liked this whole episode, especially like when they found oh, they're just making jerky, but then they imply that it's human jerky, because that gets that gets brought up multiple times throughout the episode, keeps saying that there's a plot from the government to kill black people and make him in the plant based meats.
Speaker 1: I was dying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude brought it up. Then all you know about the plant base. So that was it again, Like you said, they do. The sister and the mother get back to like having a good relationship.
Speaker 1: So that was pretty.
Speaker 2: Good, right to him going to the third wheel so much so.
Speaker 1: He was like, what do he say? I got the What did he say? I got the I got? I got the Katana some ship?
Speaker 2: He said, all right, So that's it for episode two. Episode three was entitled God's Will. Here, Vince arrived at his late uncle's match and emptier and then expected following the will reading, he begins uncovering skeletons in the closet. His uncle, of course, left the house to him. Uh so Vince has to stay there by himself. Mike being a horror horror guy, What do you think about this episode, how they try to lean into this.
Speaker 4: I'm actually trying to remember what happened in this one.
Speaker 3: I know ship kept falling off the walls and breaking and stuff, But what what was Oj?
Speaker 1: He saw Oj leave out of the It was like a spirit that was a white woman on the road that he ran into. Tried to give him a mirror and he.
Speaker 2: Said, you're gonna need it because I'm gonna pop up to the back of you.
Speaker 1: And of course it happened.
Speaker 3: This one was okay, this was the one I like. I said, I just don't really even remember a lot of what happened in this episode.
Speaker 1: This was my least favorite episode.
Speaker 2: Nothing really happened decline for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well, because even the guy was smoking crack or whatever.
Speaker 3: Oh no, that was funny. Wait, that's right, that was funny. You didn't like that part. I didn't think it was all that funny. Why did you think it was funny?
Speaker 1: Because it reminded me of Spike? What ship? The guy said he was from Nashville.
Speaker 2: He did, he said it was I'm joking.
Speaker 1: Okay, maybe he did, but he was smoking crack of the car.
Speaker 2: And I thought of Spike because talking about the lawyer, Yeah, because b had just put that ship in there about the crack smoking and I was like, this is what Spike was talking about.
Speaker 1: This dude smoking crack and he's trying to go out in the car. And then the white woman. That one was still kind of fun.
Speaker 3: It's funny to me. When that white lady walked up and pulled her shirt and showed the gun. That was hilarious. And I'm like, it was like, did that Yeah, I didn't realized the kid did that.
Speaker 1: He didn't say it was.
Speaker 2: I thought that was heroin or something he was smoking, like shrews.
Speaker 1: I didn't think that was cracked.
Speaker 2: As it was, because yeah, because I thought it was. It was Yeah, to use the loom before and then the ya.
Speaker 1: That's definitely a crack. It was shrooms.
Speaker 2: He was something not sho smoke. Yeah, because you say I thought it was like acid or heroin, bro I thought pipe brow seeing people smoke heroin like that. Yeah, Yeah, I'm just saying.
Speaker 1: I just know I saw a pipe.
Speaker 3: But smoking heroin is not popular enough to where they put that in the show. I'm pretty sure that were smoking, because he had like the little marks on his face that you get from smoking cracks.
Speaker 2: You know, because they were like, what's wrong, and I thought it was like myth I thought maybe it's because they smoked myth on. They smell and that makes you lose snake too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because yeah, because they had a little there. I was like, why did they have this weird kind of fish bowl shot or whatever. I'm like, why did you do that? They did? Yeah, yeah, but then they turned them into the animated character, so I guess.
Speaker 2: That's I love the family's reaction to it too. They was like, nah, we got to see what's up with him? Yeah outside, Yeah, and this one was still kind of funny and that one, Yeah, this was the last time I feel like I laughed out loud. Yeah, like I said, it's still had had its its Lord Like, it's still it still kept it. It's just I kept from like something else was missing.
Speaker 1: And the mama really carried the ship. Yeah. His uncle asked for some money and then he said you gotta vest back into the community or something like that, and he saying something like that, recycling them dollars or something. I forgot what is actually he said, But and then I guess the homeless woman she was was like, yeah, you know, you need to go get get out of here. It's not safe for You're like, it's not safe for you.
Speaker 2: Did y'all like how they tried to reenact the OJ chase with Vince ben in the car?
Speaker 1: Was that funny? Only when the mama came on and said told him to keep going to run. That wasn't a reenact part. That was the actual moment.
Speaker 2: They were trying to say that they had a baby in the whole time the chase.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Vince was in the car.
Speaker 2: I thought that was interesting saying that he was in the car, because you don't know who else was in the car. It could have been a baby in that fucking car. I thought that was or whatever. But so I did like that. I did like that, Yeah, because I don't think it was a reenactment. I think it just was that was a version of the version of what happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know the commentary between the homes women and a Vince you know about O Jay and you know kind.
Speaker 2: Of did those moments work because he did them throughout. He did the best the music industry. I do like elite, Like he take time to put those in there. I thought those stood out.
Speaker 1: They were Yeah, I thought I thought it was cool. And it was the only part that I kind of like, you know, in this episode, because it was just him chasing Ojay, you know. So yeah, other than the lawyers, that was all right.
Speaker 2: Episode four, venturing further into the elite social club world that his uncle had access to, Vince makes a delivery to the club and encounters people in settings he doesn't belong to. A Familiar face, though offers no help isolating him even further.
Speaker 1: Mike black King, what you think? Oh this one? Did you think about this? Black King?
Speaker 3: This one was good because I was like, what the fuck are we doing with this?
Speaker 2: What Atlanta had an episode like this?
Speaker 1: Why you gotta do that? You're just trying to ship on Vince. I'm not. I'm not. I'm just trying to I'm.
Speaker 2: Just you don't want to say it was I did, but I have to feel I wasn't, like really was Damn.
Speaker 1: It just was fucked up. Man.
Speaker 3: Vin's gonna see about you. And what did you not like about it? You said it was just like Atlanta? Yeah, because in Atlanta, it was it was like this.
Speaker 2: This one in particular was very much like that that episode in Atlanta when they went to the Leader Black, the Leader's place.
Speaker 3: They want to get more details, he said, the Vince Staples show is not Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fucked up, man. No, no, but I like his version of it though. But I let Mike go. I'll get my my my commentary on it after you already did.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I got more to say, damn, especially about this one. Not in a negative way, not in a negative way, not a neg way. I was gonna say what I liked about it. I just got a negative about the way.
Speaker 1: I like this one. Man. I thought the whole game was funny.
Speaker 3: They killed Masa. I thought this whole episode was funny as ship. But again I just kept because I was watching it late, so I kept thinking of my falling asleep because when he shut up with his face all beat up, I was like, Okay, what did I What did I miss?
Speaker 1: And I guess I didn't miss anything because they never really.
Speaker 2: That was between him and the producer.
Speaker 1: Dude, I believe we forgot to mention Lou was and was Lou was in this one. Lou from Power got that yet episode?
Speaker 3: But wait what the fight from with the producer? I thought was the episode, But that's where the bruise came from. He said, did he have it in the previous episode?
Speaker 1: He did? He got he got beat up the first one whole I did not notice it.
Speaker 3: So the whole episode where he was at the house that he had bought, I don't think he did.
Speaker 1: He Oh no, he got hit with the trophy. He got the trophy. We didn't see it. No, we didn't see it, but came and hit him.
Speaker 2: And that's why you should have had the mirror.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he said watch out, watch out. So by the time he got to the house, he was beat up. I just missed that part because I don't remember seeing that. No.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we didn't see him actually get beat up. He just so you know, he got cut off when the when the when he popped.
Speaker 1: Up somebody somebody robbed the house or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but nah, this episode was fucking funny, all the Mike king Ship and Black King, Black King.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this one was good. Did you like this with King mm hmmm yeah, yeah, yeah, no, I I did. It was it was weird. I didn't know. I was really trying to put together like what was he trying to say? What was he doing or he was just doing just being weird for the sake of being weird, like the my King stuff, all that stuff with all these white people, and he's like confused, He's like, what is going on? And whenever I walked, it was like, oh, here going massive. That ship, bro, that ship was funny, like oh they killed clearly he was the one that did it, and he just knew everybody just like oh yeah. Then he was like it was like uh he said, uh, He's like, oh, y'all niggas are weird, and he was like, we don't use that word, right. It was like because you can't, because you can't what you think? Noah, Yeah, this one was good.
Speaker 2: It was a little deeper for me though, because like, damn no, I feel like this is one of the cause its one like the mid episode, right, I feel like he wanted this one to be deeper, And I know I keep compared it to Atlanta, but I do think he did it in his own unique way about like just being in the black elite, right, And I think that you could tell that story with an OJ Like he even made reference to you know what I'm saying, Like how this is like the Rock Nation Brunch and this is just a that's what they try to be. They try to be this this social club, but they're not quite what this was or whatever.
Speaker 1: So trying that to OJ, the story of OJ that.
Speaker 2: Jay did about, like yeah, you you are accepted by these white people, but at the end of the day, you're still a nigga. And I feel like that's what That's what they were trying to communicate in this one, like Nah, you know, we'll call you Black King, we'll do all this shit, but nah, you can't leave this motherfucker, like you know what I'm saying, because you're still.
Speaker 1: A nigga at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: And that's which is why they still was trying to harm him, still trying to kill him.
Speaker 1: And I was just like yeah that, you know.
Speaker 2: I like how he tried to tell that story or whatever and make them feel comfortable so they'll stay in that bubble of elitism like uh or the whole bubble of like we just talked about is the mic stalone about black capitalists and stuff like that, and don't really give back to their community cause they're too busy trying to be part of the rock nation brunches and these trap of elitist social clubs. And I thought that was really good commentary on people like that or whatever. And that's probably why they just want to be part of this club. They're not worried about everybody else outside of this, and so they just stay in this bubble. I agree with that, and I love how adamant Bench was that. I don't want to be I don't want to be out of kids club. I'm trying to leave. I don't want nothing to do with this because even though I'm famous or whatever, may be.
Speaker 1: All the people on the walls. He's like, hell, so you've been here for weeks? He like. He was just like, wait, so how long you been there? Hours? Days, he said, weeks?
Speaker 2: So you know you think about these like you know people we like, I said, we just talked about it. I think dude don't have an elementary right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah he is too, Yeah he is too.
Speaker 2: What he was talking about, Yeah, it's system checks.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. Now, I'm part of the club. You know what I'm saying. I'm part of the club now. Lou was in this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna get to it when he went through the book, which y'all had gone through that bookcase. The book the bookcase open when he pulled it, and that's where he ran into loop. Oh he didn't want to though, No, he didn't want to. He tried to get out. They forced him into going into that room, but he didn't want to. He tried to find another way out, and they forcing them. This is where him and lou bounced to conspiracy theories off of each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because what did Lou say? But Louis woke but he was still stuck.
Speaker 2: I thought that was ray J at first, and.
Speaker 1: He was kind of like because Louis Lou, you could argue, was like in between, right, you know. But even he didn't want to leave because he was about to watch a double feature Sister Act or whatever it was said for context.
Speaker 2: The reason why I thought it was ray J Vince Vince always joke he says is always around for every key moment in Black, So I thought that was I thought he was going to play onto that joke that he always has to be on the show at something.
Speaker 1: At some point he.
Speaker 2: Got to Yeah, but I like this one a lot for the for those reason reasons.
Speaker 1: It was a lot.
Speaker 2: It was like one of the deeper episodes.
Speaker 1: Do y'all know how to play bid Wish?
Speaker 2: I did at one point, ye, but Space just trumps it for me.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised when.
Speaker 2: Like the old black game like space overtook bids with bid Wiz. Bid Wiz was the game, like every you know person played bid Wiz, but Space became the game. So I liked that they used bid Wiz like like instead of spades, because because space is just too too on the note you could yeah that like get the off my table, out of my my tape and thank you for your service or something like that. Space would have been too easy. And then the commentary about the war that was really good. So he was your vacation was on vacation that was fucked up. I really didn't do nothing over there that.
Speaker 1: Was fucked up. That was fucked up? Was it was? It's wrong, but it's not wrong. I just because they are on high alert at all times.
Speaker 2: Because then they said that about the desert storm to work.
Speaker 1: It's the same thing, is Isn't it nothing I was talking about? They said that that was that was?
Speaker 2: He said, Okayry he said Afghanistan was after Yeah, yeah, yeah, Desert storm was when we were I was thinking that storm the whole time. I saw that on something else. What else did we watched when it was talking about desert storm wasn't a real word? No, that was real and somebody else said it though in another movie or show. I remember the commentary. I didn't really do it was stormy.
Speaker 1: I thought they were real fighting. Am I thinking about the real fighting?
Speaker 3: But I think they're implying that they weren't real wars because it's just some ship America just kind of trump right.
Speaker 1: Oh. I thought when he was talking about the Afghanistan war he was he was saying that there were actually.
Speaker 2: Any firefights, That's what he meant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But in the Desert Storm and the other ones, they were actually like firefights. Wait, live rounds. I'm confused.
Speaker 3: If he's talking about right after nine to eleven, they did go over there and kill people, so why would he I didn't take that that's that's what he was implying. I thought he was implying that there was a bullshit war, that's what That's what he was implying.
Speaker 1: But there were there were firefights there. I thought there was one where they just was basically over there, just occupying the place, not really doing Yeah, but they had, But how do you occupy you kill people first? They're just they're just not talking about that part.
Speaker 4: Unless I misunderstood the entire fucking context of this.
Speaker 1: That's what he was saying. Maybe I missed. I don't know.
Speaker 2: He's like, y'all really didn't do over there, right.
Speaker 3: I thought he was like, Oh, y'all just went over there to kill a bunch of people and took over their land.
Speaker 2: You didn't really fight, That's what he was saying.
Speaker 1: I see, I didn't take you that way. I thought they were just over there just because I mean they were, but I'm saying there were any any shooting, like they were like like you're taking rounds from like enemies, from the actual enemy. That's what I took it as. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, would you think rob Win insulting the man so much? We could ask him, But I am not insulting.
Speaker 2: What y'all think about the fight scene, the fight scene which there was a fight scene at the end of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, it was another fight by Vince when it was a I think it was violence and everyone it was because the white guy tried he was he was, and the white guy tried to stop him and he punched him and he just kept with Then he got out.
Speaker 2: He was trying to be he's trying to be nice, and it was like which way he would go, and he was like, this was like he went the others.
Speaker 1: As Yeah, because he told him the wrong way to get out. He was sending him back in. I think, Vince, He's like, oh, yes, right here. Yeah, it gave me. It gave me some shining vibes too. They tried I think that's what they tried to do. Yet. Yeah, but this this, this, this was good. This episode was good. I wanted to go back and watching this one all right.
Speaker 2: Then we moved to the penultimate episode, Mister Baldwin Vince's. Vince is the unwilling guest of honor at the Twisted Dinner party. We talked about him like the episode likely escalates his discomfort and elite settings who are forcing him to perform or represent. I'll start with, did y'all laugh out loud when y'all find out the suitmaker name with Steve Hardy? That was hilarious to me.
Speaker 1: Wow, I missed the name. But I didn't think it was important.
Speaker 2: That was hilarious to me because then the colony was like everybody with Steve Harvey.
Speaker 1: It's a complete opposite. Though, that one was a little on the nose from me. I thought that was great, man.
Speaker 2: I thought the that was really really good. And then his mom ment to Steve Harvey suit student later on because she was like, the uncle need to be buried in the white Steve Harvey suit I thought that is bro all right. So this one is mostly about the game? What story do I think they were trying to tell a narrative they were trying to push with the game events, figuring all of it out, essentially being the smartest nigg in the room.
Speaker 1: The massive game. Yep, I really I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: I found it funny, but I'm not all the way sure with what message he was trying to push. See well, since Rod already introduced the whole Atlanta thing, Atlanta didn't confuse me quite as much as Vincent's show does. I feel like, even with the weirder Atlanta shows, I can walk away and be like, well, I get what they were getting at this one. I still found it funny, but I'm hoping y'all can shed some light on what it meant.
Speaker 2: Which one this this is when they were playing the dinner the Dinner.
Speaker 1: Game mystery where so he didn't.
Speaker 2: Get out on the last one when he when when he was being the dude up, he never got on on the lady came out of nowhere and like now he.
Speaker 1: Woke up this way. That's right, that's right, because he thought she was trying to make sexual advance of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that was funny to ye this okay, so I got I can signed two episodes. This is where I feel like they were trying to do the commentary of like like you're still a nigga, Like we're not gonna let you out of here. This is where this is where I got that, apart from because.
Speaker 1: They were so they loved o J.
Speaker 2: And as much as o J thought he was accepted by the by this culture, they didn't.
Speaker 1: They didn't respect him. I got you on that part. But what did the massive stuff mean?
Speaker 3: Like the whole game of like mass is dying and I'm and Vince has to figure out who.
Speaker 4: It is that killed him. I didn't really get the message there.
Speaker 2: The murder mystery, right, right, you don't know the murder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know about.
Speaker 3: That because it was all white people and Massa was obviously white. So I was just like, I don't really get it.
Speaker 2: I took that like when you're in corporate America and you do a presentation being a black man, or you do something and how oh you're so articulated and you like being that person. I feel that always underestimate. I get you have that one person who tried to like the mast was.
Speaker 1: I knew he could do it.
Speaker 3: I knew they weren't really expecting to be the one that fixed God.
Speaker 2: And they all were people that had some sort of hold on something, like one person was the president of this type of corporation and the lady was was like a very somebody. Yeah yeah, it's like so it was a room full of those people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get it now, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: They wouldn't expected him to be as bright as he was.
Speaker 1: Stinky booty or something like that. We go cancer, Oh yeah, yeah, that was that was dirty.
Speaker 3: That that that makes this episode a lot more interesting because I could not figure out what they meant. It always reminds me remember that chick Barbara that we used to work with the boss. That was Anthony Braddy's like, yes, something she said that ship to me after presenting in the meeting one day. She was like, oh my god, you were just so articulate. I remember telling Adam, I was like, what did you expect? Like, I'm a miss male, What the fuck are you serious?
Speaker 2: I think that's what.
Speaker 1: She Probably Barbara didn't like you.
Speaker 4: No, I feel like I remember him saying that before too, because I think you lying.
Speaker 1: I think I thought liked you either. He either.
Speaker 3: He joked about it before. It just stuck in my brain, but I kind of remember like she was like some black dude. I don't know who it was.
Speaker 1: There was.
Speaker 4: Well, she used to be on me a lot about the same Barbara Barbara.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was all over. I feel like I remember there seeing something about you.
Speaker 2: Too, the one the other chick didn't like you, But I thought Barbara liked you though.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was another one that didn't came with articulate enough.
Speaker 1: It was one that didn't though, but yeah, I thought Barbara did. Though.
Speaker 2: Barbaro was funny ship anything else, but she was funny right anything else?
Speaker 1: You know, I think just as a as a whole, this episode or the two episodes is really indicative events. It tells Vin's story about him not playing the game just in general. You listen to all his interviews, he's very open about what goes on with the industry corporated, et cetera, et cetera. And this was him rejecting all of that, you know, not you know, it'sccumbing to it, and then using horror as a way to portray it as well. You know. So it's kind of dope. What he's doing is like, these are horror stories. You look at black people being ripped off historically in the music industry, that's what people say, that's horrified, that's horrible that happened, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 3: So see, I thought that same thing that you thought about the him not wanting to play the game. But then when the massive stuff just kept throwing me off, So I was like, Okay, the massive stuff doesn't fit. But I thought they were making a commentary of like, oh, Vince has figured out the game, so he doesn't want to play it because he already knows how this is going to play out for him.
Speaker 1: But it was just the massive stuff just kept throwing me off. I just didn't get it, I think it was just like because it was very very direct, Like his name is Massa, so it's almost maybe he just wanted to make sure that for some folks, it's like, we want you to understand explicitly, like the guy at the table is massive and we want you guys to I wanted to be very direct, you know, because I'm like, damn, bro, he's very clear about who this yeah, so, and sometimes I'm with you, like his stuff isn't very clear and direct. But when Massa was like, oh, damn, you want people to know that this is massive and how this relates to everything that's in that room because everybody's oblivious. They're sitting around talking to each other and they've all basically conceded. You know, they made it. They're out of this environment. They're in this whole world that has this kind of glowing hue on it when you're in there, you know. And then there are people that know that the game is fucked up, but they won't leave it. And that was Lou Lou kind of in this sort of purgatory world. But he's still sitting there watching this form of entertainment and it's going to keep him around.
Speaker 2: Like a honeypot, and the last thing that I took from it was like it being an all white board since Vince pots pointed it out an all white boy to an elite black society. These are the people that are making the decisions and a picking but.
Speaker 4: And pretending that they love black black King and Mike King and all that shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly, but they Yeah, exactly, That's why I combinded the two. But he didn't even eat the food or something like that. Right, He's just right because he said it was something that was poisoned to wine or something like that. Yeah, he didn't eat the food. Yeah, he pretty much covered it all right. Episode six, we get to the end. Uncle James is dead. They went full on this episode with the ridiculousness. Chaos erupts, Anita and Breed try to deal with church ceremony issues, Vince roades blocks while deliver in the eulogy, and the episode brings the seasons arc to a full circle death grief, legacy and how one moves on. Ken, did you like the ridiculousness of this episode?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I think Vince in a shootout with them trying to bring him back, or upset that he escaped, you know, kind of clear what he was trying to imply there that yeah, you can't get out like you know, or you're not supposed to get out, You're supposed to be part of the society, so you know, but it was that very, very over the top. Again, I think that the I think all three of them were actually good in this one. The sister and the mom you know, talking and Vince showed up that she was like nigga, like what you know, just clowning him for he was. Vin's getting up and cussing everybody out, you know, and telling his uncle to stop asking for money. You know, he said, never man even an ice cream truck. Yeah, like who fails an ice cream truck? But but nah, it was it was by this point I think the strength of the season were in like some of the previous episode, the previous one like episode five and then for me, episode two. So at this point it's like, how do you wrap all this up? Them losing the body, it was still I was just glad the mama and sister were back because they were still cutting up. Yes, you know again and this.
Speaker 2: One ro what'd you think about the funeral? I like the eulogy. Yeah, the other stuff was a little too ridiculous for me, but I get it over the top. I mean, he it's a it's an exaggerated version of or some of the things that happened in the industry, the culture or whatever. So I get what he was doing with that just creatively. But for me, I just don't. I don't know, I just don't feel like I needed all of the extra stuff, Like I feel like you could have did a little subtler, like I have a question for you after I okay, you know, But but as far as the eulogy and stuff, I like how he delivered that. That's probably the most powerful, one powerful thing about this particular episode because it kind of wrapped everything up. And then yeah, how he came at like the whole family, and I like how you say I love you sister. That's all that's all he had to say, And she's like, I know, that's right. I really liked that moment because I feel like that's how he probably really is with his sister or sibling or something like that, like look, man, ain't nothing you can do that. You know what I'm saying, I love you or whatever. So I did like that you.
Speaker 1: Know, oh, and his mother, right, his mother, He's like, look you you you are extra. But at the end of the day, you always write.
Speaker 2: And if she think about it, she usually is always right. No matter how ridiculous it may sound, how extra it is, she be right. Like, like what she just standing on her ship fact, And I like how he pointed that out because we watched the whole we set it ourselves, the whole series of her just doing some crazy cursing out people saying what was right, seeing her feelings, and that's how old people be, like they say with the chests, they say ship. So I like how he pointed that out, Like, look, you might seem crazy, but what's she wrong? You know what I'm saying? She was what she was wrong about breathing? What was she wrong about the car? The car episode? She was kind of wrong.
Speaker 4: She was going off on that dude about the Mini Cooper.
Speaker 1: And all that.
Speaker 2: She was kind of wrong.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, she was just.
Speaker 2: Like you didn't want no EV cars.
Speaker 1: I didn't know how to fuck y'all. Do get rid of this ship? Tell me on the website. It wasn't no EV call.
Speaker 3: It was after that, wasn't it like they were trying to give her a certain card. She was like acting a fool about it. Cooper, the mini Cooper evs, they're not.
Speaker 2: She didn't want an EV but but but as you see, they had one.
Speaker 3: She tried to play them and say that they didn't but that model she wanted, right, and she was bugging out about it. She wanted a specific model, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get you, but I think they were advertising something else and they didn't have. Oh yeah they were, they said advert She's like, no, y'all. On the site it said y'all had this car. Now, y'all, I'm here, y'all say some bullshit. Same thing with with the funeral ship. She was cussing that motherfucker out. But you lost my fucking my mother. So I'm going off.
Speaker 1: What she asked them. Do you value your life or something like that. Yeah, she was just a mean lady. I mean, but she was.
Speaker 2: She wasn't wrong when you look back at it, it's as extreme as as she was. I don't think she was wrong, you know. So I thought that was interesting that he pointed that out. She told you what when, oh, I thought you were she she told you you better order two caskets.
Speaker 1: Car she did. I thought the most interesting part about the when he got up and gave his speech. But he was like, uncle James, I never wanted to be like you. And then that ties into oh yes, yes, it made me.
Speaker 2: It made me know what not to be. That was a good line, like I love you, but you also made me know what not to be and oh yeah, he said he what the other but the husband he's like, man, stop that ship, man get popped. What I thought that cases where the way he said that to you?
Speaker 1: But uh nah. I really liked the eulogity part of this one. That was good. I really liked that.
Speaker 2: It was a way to end, a good way to end the show. I thought, got any thoughts on the film?
Speaker 4: Nothing, nothing y'all haven't already said.
Speaker 3: I thought it was really good. It was a good way to end it. But when it when it was over, I was a little bit like, all right, so what was the kind of what was the point of this whole season?
Speaker 2: But it was on some Seinfeld type ship in my opinion, just like making word for it. It wasn't I mean, it wasn't really going anywhere. It was just like Seinfeld Seinfeld is he signed he's the comedian. He plays the comedian in Timefield and Show. But like there's generally you get these wild ridiculous things that happened in the episode, but there's no overall arching point, Like the season doesn't go really anywhere, just pointing lights and different things and commentary on perspectives to different people.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 2: I think he does have a point in this. I just don't know exactly what it is. I picked up on some of the you know, the themes and things, but is their over arching point. I think from a plot standpoint, that's only what I'm speaking of, what our messages, and he got points to those messages. But from a plot standpoint, it's just you're observing a day in the life of his exaggerated version of me. Is it like how how people deal with grief and different I think for the last episode, which I want to ask you in the Roomb as well, like there's a commentary that it doesn't matter what men are going through, we expected to show up. And I think the exaggerated shootouts gun fights were that version of this for him, nig we don't care what happened. You better get to this funeral, and even them calling on the phone. No one ever asked, like, bro, what what is going on?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: No one ever asked for you okay, But it was on some why is it loud? You can't hear me talking to you? Not I really care about what's going on. It's just like, what's all that noise? I ain't able to get to get to say what I want to say because you've got so much good stuff going on in the background. Well, she eventually got to what Ken saying, though, and he hung up. Yeah, maybe he didn't hear it all disconnected. She got serious, but he didn't even get a chance to when she was like, yeah, how are you doing? Exactly? She was actually serious, and I think, what, I'm fucked up, y'all, how are you doing whatever?
Speaker 1: What's going on with you?
Speaker 2: And he didn't respond. I think that's the commentary, and he was already hanging out. I think that was a commentary for that whole ridiculous last episode, in the sense of like, it don't matter, Bro, you still got to show up and be there because your family expects you to.
Speaker 3: I think it's funny that until y'all brought it back up, I don't I didn't really register it like that either.
Speaker 2: M Yeah, it's it. I mean he does. He makes you think. He makes you think, Like I said, it's.
Speaker 1: Think about Atlanta.
Speaker 2: That's what you said, That's what you start about. He trying to put it, trying to spin it on me, kid. I don't think he would take that as a disctough. I think that will be a compliment.
Speaker 1: He knows version. Definitely. It's his version of it. It's not like a complete He mentioned on Twitter something about twin Peaks meets something. That's what this felt like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't know he said that, but yeah, it's definitely felt like Twin Peaks version of Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Interesting. I don't know what twin Peaks is what. I don't know that it's a David Lynch show. Okay, that's very bizarre and weird like this.
Speaker 3: So that actually puts things in contact because Twin Peaks didn't really have much of a fucking plot.
Speaker 2: Either, well could It makes sense, but I like it though, all right, any other takeaways from the Vince Table show.
Speaker 1: I'm curious if he does a third one.
Speaker 2: I would be here for it, to be honest with you, Yeah, I definitely would be.
Speaker 1: Here for He needs a movie though, Yeah, this was only felt like one.
Speaker 2: I guess it was is a movie. That's what The thing that surprised me. They were pumping the first season. I didn't I had to like type this in. Did you have to type?
Speaker 1: It wasn't anything Netflix, you had to find it. I was super surprised.
Speaker 3: Be funny if he told them to do that, I don't know either, but that was like part of the show.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Part of the narrative was though he was he wanted more episodes in that first season, but Netflix will only do the short bits because they said that's all they're doing now. So it may be a little bit to that. That's the way he kind of maybe got some little beef with them or something.
Speaker 1: He's definitely tweeting about it and promoted Yeah. I mean, if y'all hadn't said that we were doing this, I know that was out.
Speaker 2: I would have forgot because nothing anywhere top TV shows you had literally had to type in the Vince Staples show.
Speaker 1: Oh so two tweets. I'll read the twin Peaks thing, but the first one I just saw six days ago. He said, As you can tell, the marketing budget is smaller than the show budget, so please make sure to share a mons your friend group. And then he said when it was he said, season two airing and blah blah blah blah, find it in the clearance aisle.
Speaker 3: That was fun, so he knows. Yeah, that's fucked up on Netflix's part.
Speaker 1: It is. Yeah, and then the other I'll just read the Twin Peaks. The streets are saying season two of the Event Staple Show is the new Twin Peaks, and by the streets, I mean me, so yeah, going for that. That's fucked up.
Speaker 3: If Netflix, I mean y'all got money, you couldn't do a couple of promos for the show.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. Agreed, because it's Netflix special, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is specifically for Netflix, so I would be interesting. And now you're saying that the season three because it don't seem like Netflix is here for it. No, I hope it does does well, seem to be getting decent reviews whatever. All right, well, speaking of decent reviews, that is our review of The Vents Staples Show for season two Netflix Original type it in. If you don't man, make sure you watch it though. It's a good, a good, a good hang Come on the show, man, come talked about the movie man, I mean the show, talk about the series show.
Speaker 1: All Right, we out peace please