Speaker 1: The Frames per Second Podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome everybody to a new episode of the Frames per Second Podcast. My name is kennth Ban is joining me on the show.
Speaker 1: It's just three of us. It's Spike and Ride. What's up, good man? So chilling, chilling, chilling, chilling, chilling.
Speaker 2: Uh, we're here to discuss the twenty twenty five film titled Him, directed by Justin Tipping.
Speaker 3: Oh, just tiff, I thought you was.
Speaker 1: I got I got it? Directed by Justin Tipping, Now You're Good, You Good?
Speaker 2: Co written by Skip Bronki, Zach Akers and Tipping, produced by Jordan Piel's Monkey Paul Productions. So I guess he just put it out. Yeah, backed got it.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: The cast includes Marlon Walliams, Tyreek Withers I heard you guys say earlier he was on Atlanta, Julia Fox and Tim Hydecker and some other folks you guys care about those. And it's basically a story about a young football player played by Tarique Withers uh that trains under an aging quarterback played by Marlon Wayams at an isolated compound.
Speaker 1: So uh, that's what we got.
Speaker 2: So man, it's another one of these so called elevated horror films and social commentary and we're we're in sports this time, and it was, yeah, so we'll we'll go through this movie, try out trial something different this time, you know, try a different approach.
Speaker 1: With SEEA I go.
Speaker 2: But anyway, man's let's definitely start with initial thoughts.
Speaker 4: I got to the movies in my normal time, you know this because I had to drop off Dawn.
Speaker 1: And it had started already. I was like, damn it.
Speaker 4: And it wasn't even twenty minutes in. It wasn't even like twenty minutes. Yeah, it had started already. I was like, damn, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I'm saying. I thought I was good, Like you know what I'm saying. I thought I was gonna see the Cole kimbit facts at least, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But but nah, Yeah, so I got there. I think I missed a little bit of the beginning. But if just using my context, was he a child first watching Marlin on TV and he gets hurt in the game.
Speaker 1: Is that what happens?
Speaker 2: And he broke his foot and the foot was like, yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: Like a horror movies. Marlon what he plays White, Isaiah White was the dad alive at this point.
Speaker 5: And Dad was like that was one of the driving forces in that seeing his dad was like, you're in him best, the best, like just just pumping it up, getting a lot of.
Speaker 2: Positive And he also said the phrase no nuts, no, no, that's no good, no nuts glory right right.
Speaker 1: That was no guts, no glory right right right? God? Yeah, So okay, so yeah.
Speaker 4: I was just That's where I wanted to start first personally, because I wanted to make sure I understood how that started. Because I came in, I guess right when he was he was in. He was like an adult at this point, and he had we're.
Speaker 1: The start of that early.
Speaker 2: Because your movie time was that two white, it should not have started.
Speaker 1: That's what I thought, at least twenty five minutes. That's what I thought. Man.
Speaker 4: I came in and I was presently surprised people will see it watching eating a popcorn. I'm like, wait, and my At first, I didn't even think I was in the right theater. I was like, damn, I coming to the wrong one. But no, I was at the right one. I looked at my ticket, I was like, yep, there was all seats.
Speaker 1: Did you see?
Speaker 5: The point was pumping him up as far as they wish, want the news Clippers and him in high school and stuff.
Speaker 3: That's why I felt like I came in and then like he's the next.
Speaker 1: Thing and that's what I saw. So how how much did I miss You just missed it?
Speaker 4: Ad So I know I ain't missed too much because I saw the title like him come on on the screen.
Speaker 1: I was like, Okay, I must haven't missed.
Speaker 5: That much to show how serious, Like, the only thing you miss is how serious he was training to change.
Speaker 4: So I missed that part I want the ball and like he was just serious. Okay, Okay, so I missed that part. So but nah, overall, I was like, this ain't as bad as people are making this same. These critics are making it scene, but I just felt like it just did it way more than the need to. I felt like y'all could have kept this kind of simple and it would have been a great movie, but y'all try to.
Speaker 1: Get too too too, too too cute.
Speaker 3: Y'all tried to get too creative with this, this, this, this idea, and it could have been very just solid, not to the point you could still have your windows here.
Speaker 1: But I feel like they would have dialed back just a little.
Speaker 4: Bit on some of the messaging and the and just the extra stuff they were doing, the extra creepy stuff. I feel like this could have been really, really solid because I think.
Speaker 1: The acting was great in it.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I think the I think the story the actors didn't filed this movie.
Speaker 1: The overall direction I think failed this movie.
Speaker 3: For me, ken Rod, this is high on the list of worst.
Speaker 1: Movies ever seen.
Speaker 5: That's that's funny, of worst movies that I've ever seen in my life. I agree with you on the acting standpoint, Like Waylon Waye's I feel like job, he had an excellent job. Job, it was just too extra. The storytelling was to choppy. It was like you you said something that I walked out of the thing like they had just told the story like in a regular way. I feel like this would have been a lot more effective, exactly walk out and you like, what the fuck did? I just like some a couple of people were saying that walking out of the movie, Like I was behind this couple and I think this was their cousin or something.
Speaker 1: They said. We ain't never.
Speaker 3: Letting you pick the movie. It's like I'm sor I like whatever.
Speaker 5: She was like, Nahs, it was bad, man, I just don't like the storytelling. And like I felt that same sentiment as most of the people that were walking out of the theater where I want to go see it as well.
Speaker 3: It's just it was too much. It was too over the top. It was hard for.
Speaker 5: No reason, right, for no reason, no reason. It's like, it's a basic story facts, but y'all made it. Y'all tried to make it confusing. Why yes, what for? Like why did you do all this extra shit? It's a basic ass story.
Speaker 1: It was bad. I was like, man, what are y'all? Man? I was like this I was it was embarrassing to watch.
Speaker 3: It was like I was looking at it, it was cringe manor and everything I had to look around to see. I was like, but people was.
Speaker 5: Like super like. It was to the point where when it was over, people were still sitting.
Speaker 3: There like just what has happen? Dude? So I get some of the criticism that ship was like, yeah, so.
Speaker 1: You saying it's not as bad, but you are saying it's bad. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think I think I have to I have to I have to call I have to say it's bad. As a whole because, yeah, the acting was good. I like seeing Tyreek that's the that's the light skinned dude, right or the white passing dude.
Speaker 1: I like, I think he should.
Speaker 3: I think he should have more opportunities because I like him on screen.
Speaker 4: I think he's very unique. I like him on screen. Marlin showed a whole nother bag. I thought that was cool.
Speaker 1: We all.
Speaker 3: I mean I always felt like, what's her name?
Speaker 1: What's her name? Julia?
Speaker 3: What's that I've always I always liked her as as an actress, like I like, because I liked her on GM uncunt gyms.
Speaker 1: So yeah, in the movie Mike was talking about on Netflix night, always gone, Okay, I like her.
Speaker 3: So all of these people I like, you know what I'm saying, I'm like, okay, they can't.
Speaker 4: They showed up. It's just the direction wasn't there. The direction failed failed this movie. And so with that, with that, yeah, the movie failed.
Speaker 2: I left this part out in my synopsis of the movie because I don't want to influence anyone, uh, but yeah. The movie was first released in Mexico September eighteen, twenty twenty five, and then in the US September nineteen twenty after critics were generally in that negative.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you guys are not alone.
Speaker 2: I think that I just couldn't believe, Like, I don't like this movie at all. I know Nick said rotten tomatoes don't mean ship they got it right this time. I don't fully disagree or disagree with them, but I was like, I think they you know, I had a feeling that they weren't that off, you know, and and they were not. I didn't like it, and I'm like, bro, you really just made a horror movie about how football is a cult. That's really what this is about, which is fitting Spike because today is football Sunday, right and there are colt like themes. It's just like, wow, you really just this is what we're doing.
Speaker 5: The messaging was fine, it was just too overt, like it was obvious and like just too much like broke, Like you could have.
Speaker 4: Did something else to make it to drive this point home, you know. And and I see and Ken when I saw the negative reviews, and I thought it was more so because it was a slight attack on foot football. You know, America love a football and so I was just like, Okay, maybe maybe that's what it is, you know, what I'm saying, but nah, man, it just did too fucking much.
Speaker 5: And it's like, I feel like the people that are going to try and defend it and say out they like it is like, oh but you didn't get the message though, you know what the message was, Like the directing was bad, right, Yeah, the directing was bad.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: This thing was executed horribly executed, horribly, bro Like, this could have been this could have been a solid ass football story.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so let's let's we're gonna kind of go to.
Speaker 2: Like the first act at the beginning, you know how it sets up, you know, his whole story with Cam or whatever. So you know, we see, well we are to discuss you know, Cam watching the San Antonio Saviors first thing win the championship is idol as I say, oh White, I think that with some stuff in the background in terms of like you can see the religious like sort of themes, the sacrifices, which is one of the things that Camp's dad, Real men make sacrifices, So there's that whole thing in there as well. He saw the brutal injury. Then we kind of fast because you know he had the injury, Rod and a young Cam was he didn't want to look, and the dad made him look. Yeah, turned his head and made him look at it. And that's when he was like, no guts, no glory. Real men make sacrifices. So he was basically indoctrinating.
Speaker 5: His son at a very young earlier, which they feel like people feel like dads do because I was against that, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I don't knock it.
Speaker 4: For people for dads that do that shit, but I just never wanted to be that dad. I just never wanted to force my son into something or live out some dream that I had or some shit. I want him to have his own path, you.
Speaker 1: Know I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So, So I thought that was a good message there, you know what I'm saying, Like, okay, all right, cool, Like yeah, we need to see this is how Yeah, this is this real ship.
Speaker 2: And we definitely found out later that that was right right on point because Cam admitted that that was a thing, like he was living his dad's dream. Yeah, and he had regrets on how all that situation played out, right, But yeah, so you know, Cam's rising football star, you know, and his father died, but he got his family and his girlfriend who was alone to encouraged him.
Speaker 1: Was that his brother?
Speaker 4: I feel like that was his brother. Yeah, well one was his brother. One was his like homiess homie.
Speaker 2: I think the one that talked about why he didn't make it in football or something, because when he was doing an interview.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I think that was his brother. Yeah, that one his brother. The other one was the silly one. He was actually kind of funny. It was just his homeboy or something like that.
Speaker 1: I do so. I was a bit.
Speaker 2: I want to ask about the casting of Tyreek Withers. It was confusing interesting, Okay. Marlon Wains later in the movie made a joke and called him a African American.
Speaker 1: Okay, mm hmm. But his parents to me, both appeared.
Speaker 3: To be His dad looked kind of mixed.
Speaker 4: Your dad looked mixed though, okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, Okay. They should have made his dad a white man because that that that would that would have made more sense than it being like a mix man black man with a dark skinned black woman that seemed like a white that seemed like a white man and a dark skin would have made him, yeah, versus mixed.
Speaker 1: Man and a dark skin would have made him. Yeah. I was I was I want to say, struggling with it.
Speaker 2: I was like, I don't understand why this guy looked as white as he does.
Speaker 4: Kind of like the joke they made later on, like you said with Marlon Wayins and Juliet Fox, it's like, oh, he looks like a mixture of.
Speaker 1: Both, like you could be all kid. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah yeah they said that later Yeah, yeah, it was. It was. It was really confusing for me with with that. So I'm with you.
Speaker 2: I think cas Dad as white would have definitely made a little bit more sense.
Speaker 1: But on the other side of this, though.
Speaker 2: Spike, we do see that happening in the league where it's a lot more mixed raced kids that are coming into the league. We see with the NBA, we see it on Draft night, we see all these mint's families. Patrick Mahomes, right, is the immediate go to.
Speaker 3: I feel like that's why he got cast with this role.
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm yeah yeah yeah, not to do okay, yeah, because you're a quarterback.
Speaker 1: Yeah wow, I didn't even think about that.
Speaker 2: So so yeah, so Rosin star but he gets attacked by a guy in a goat mask.
Speaker 3: I was out at that point that that was how soon I.
Speaker 1: Was like, what was it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, just like made no sense, no sense. She's like like, you ain't here this dude walk up on you with all this ship. You the only person, the only person out, your quarterback, your peripheral.
Speaker 1: Your peripheral is the best peripheral.
Speaker 5: That like, what are we talking about? I was like, bro, like it made no sense. Show that he was dreaming or something.
Speaker 1: That's right. No, I thought so too. It was real.
Speaker 4: That was real, bro, that happened for real. Like I was just like and I was thinking the same thing. So yeah, man, I was just like, what is happening?
Speaker 3: Bro?
Speaker 1: So yeah, I'm with you, Like I'm like, why why did they do that? You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, oh, here we go. Man, it's about to be something that's exactly what That's that's funny.
Speaker 5: That fast it was stupid because that didn't make any sense at all. And then to go to the transitions like sorry skip a little bit, like to him being at the doctor and they was like talking through and he had the stables and I was like, oh that was real, Like that was crazy.
Speaker 2: Because you were talking about because that you know, all this is related. Yeah, that's gonna get to the next point, and I have about you know, how he ended up where he's at. But yeah, it was actually real distables all that stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was thinking to myself, I was like, said, they is that much? I thought it wouldn't I always thinking. I was like, so, they're not gonna tell us what happened to his head, Like they're just gonna leave it dream.
Speaker 3: Thing, Like that's what they're gonna go with. Why he got the stables in his head.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So his agent Tom, which is also Isaiah's agent, they made sure that we knew that because they pointed out the conflict of interest. He has a chance because right now Cam was at a party with his friends and stuff like that. He's kind of stressing out. He snapping at people, stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So he in the tub.
Speaker 2: His agent called and he said going to say and said, we're gonna tell a league, you know part. But the offer is you have one week of training with Isaiah at his desert compound to prove he's the next QB. Also keep in mind that the name of the team is the Saviors. The owner of the team was an old white man, and there was some other kind of religious reference. I didn't get that note because I only watched this once. I wasn't going back to watch this with captions on. So yeah, so anyway, so yeah, so that that's it. So then we run into Marlon Walls and he is up goes run into Marlon Wains. So you got to say, Marlon ways like the expectations for him, I don't know if you guys had any, but for the most part he delivered orready seed it.
Speaker 4: I did not have high expectations for him based on the few clips I saw. I'm like, I don't know if I want to see him like this, you know what I'm saying, But nah, man, he pleasantly surprised me as far as you know the intensity of him or whatever, you know, we know him to be, you know, funny.
Speaker 3: So to see him in this role I thought he did. I thought he did a good job.
Speaker 5: Honestly, I was prepared to see him in a serious role. I think from bel Air bel Air he plays Will's dad. Oh really, he's straight.
Speaker 3: Like like Will's dad or uncle Phil.
Speaker 5: Will's dad, all his actual like this, similar to the sitcoms Dad come, you know, try to be a part of.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, okay.
Speaker 3: He's it's straight. Seriously, he's he nails it. Great job.
Speaker 5: So I had some expectations and he fulfilled him. It was like similar to him and bel Air and the role that he plays there. So I think again, he did a great job. Man, it's just the direction of the film's terrible. Like it's like almost like they made this without the notion that people had to watch it, Like y'all just made it trying to be creative and I want to show this to my friends, and I got this message that I'm trying to like this is for the audience, right, they were like they completely ignored the audience.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, No, for sure, they didn't read the room. No, they didn't read the room. And I think they tried to do like some Jordan Piel stuff. But it's not that it's not that he don't go over the top with it.
Speaker 3: He does some subtle like oh, make you think type stuff, but yeah, it's not like this like this is different. It's like they did it wrong.
Speaker 4: It's like you tried to emulate something he does and you did it completely wrong.
Speaker 2: Yes, so we got sacrifice, legacy tops some masculinity.
Speaker 1: Blood price that was paid as well.
Speaker 2: So allo of some opening themes and then we're at the compound and things start to kind of take a turn, and then we see more of the horror elements come into play. We have a lot of different training methods that we get a chance to witness. You know, the football machine that was Master of People's head. We have Cam being ejected with uh something we know we later found out what it was.
Speaker 3: I mean, he said it the white man's blood. Yeah, he said it. You said blood, Yeah, it looked like blood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he said it. Matter of fact, you like that legal.
Speaker 2: I thought that was Isaiah was having his blood drained and then the trainer gave him the blood.
Speaker 1: But I didn't know if it said anyway.
Speaker 6: It was confronted him at the end he said it yeah, yeah, yeah, But I didn't know if they said that earlier. I thought they were kind of being secret, uh hallucinations, paranoid. You know, there's a sign a tap by Craze Fan uh which Isaiah killed Elsie, seduced Cam. You know, Isaiah confronted him with the guy.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Uh, there's a secret party with Savers owners. So there's there's a lot of stuff that's that's packed it to this this second part here, So let's talk about the training. What you guys think about the training? Was it disturbing?
Speaker 1: Was over the top? Were they trying to be in a little too extra again.
Speaker 5: To extra two over to talk like I hate to keep saying the same thing, but there was a more simple way to tell this story and to afford to be a lot more effective now, Like some of the shots were great, some of the like videography and things of that nature were really impressive. It was like it just wasn't matching it from a storytelling standpoint, Like just the story was clunky. It was like what am I looking at?
Speaker 4: It made it confusing for no reason. It's like why are you doing this? And then it upsets you?
Speaker 5: Like that's what y'all was trying to say, right that that that's yeah, that's what I was trying to say.
Speaker 3: Like the ending of the scenes never made like it.
Speaker 5: Was like, Okay, y'all could have got there a lot quicker than being so dramatic about.
Speaker 3: It, Like what are you doing?
Speaker 1: Like do you really have to make this this dramatic?
Speaker 5: Like like even with the crazed fans, like we get it, you ain't got to do all that, why.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't want you her spinning on the window, and then.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like do y'all got you got to make them look like lunatic? It's like over the top, Like why are you making this so over the top?
Speaker 1: I just didn't. I just didn't. How the hell she get in there too?
Speaker 3: I know, probably got a secret tunnel or something that they then dug.
Speaker 1: Out or something. They said.
Speaker 3: They just trying to make it seem like crazy, like super crazy fans, and it's like they ain't that crazy. You fee what I'm saying, Like like you know you're gonna get escorted our box security or even shot or like you know that you can't do trespass this place.
Speaker 4: And even if you like you said, how do they get that far? Like gotta have cameras. It's just none of that stuff just made it stistic.
Speaker 1: It wasn't realistic.
Speaker 3: So it's just like this like it was a stylistic way of telling this story that just man, it just was upsetting.
Speaker 1: It's like why are y'all doing this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, getting hit with the football was crazy though, Yeah, like that ship was that shit was wild, but right right, they just kept doing it over and over again at some point his whole face should have been broken, you know, like he should added some type of fractures or something like that.
Speaker 3: Footballs are heavy, it's like eight pounds or some shit like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then showing the different like I think they kind of crashed into each other and the.
Speaker 1: X ray kind of.
Speaker 2: Visuals of I guess what happens with the body collides and ship like that, when you had trauma and stuff.
Speaker 1: It was it was a lot going on.
Speaker 2: I think the football was the training one, and then I think at one point they were like, oh, we just gonna have some fun today.
Speaker 1: They went out and then I think.
Speaker 2: He shot one of the mascots and.
Speaker 1: Uh so, yeah, there was h So did he he shot and killed a mascot? Yeah? And that's just it. Yea.
Speaker 5: It was nothing like that again in the storytelling didn't make sistence like what happens, what consequences and stuff.
Speaker 1: Did even though he was shooting like a person in there, like they just kind of just like that was it.
Speaker 3: And I feel like.
Speaker 5: They did that with all the like killings in there too. It was just like this is a normal part of everyday life. The story that we're telling, like he just killed somebody talking about.
Speaker 2: Ye, could that also be showing like he's well now, because we like so, I was gonna say, like he's kind of slowly becoming Isaiah because he just killed that person and didn't even think about it and just moved on. But we didn't see him even have to deal with the repercussions of that, meaning that we didn't see him no knowingly know that he killed an actual person and that he was just shooting at a target that wasn't live, and then seeing him saying, oh, yeah, it's fine.
Speaker 3: That's part of the problem. The whole time, he was.
Speaker 5: Acting like all of this shit was like normal and like he expected it, like these people doing this ceremony and dressed up in these weird ass his costumes, and this lady trying to seduce you, this crazy fan breaking the sauna. But his temperament towards all of it was like, oh, I guess this is a part of it. Yeah, And I don't think it was bad acting on his part. I think he was directed.
Speaker 1: To do that. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Like in horror movies, I think some of the times what makes it greate is the reaction that the people have to the big bad like seeing like, oh, I would be just as terrified if I were in this situation, I would be just as anxious or nervous or whatever it may be.
Speaker 3: He never gave that in any of these situations. It was like he knew he was normal, Like yeah, what's happening?
Speaker 4: Like this ain't no normal combine? Like what do we what you noticing? He was never surprised by any of it?
Speaker 1: Did away? Let's talk about was creepy? Help man? Yeah? It was? Yeah. What did y'all think about her? Like?
Speaker 2: Was she manipulative to just get tragic figure in this whole situation?
Speaker 1: Like what did you all think about her?
Speaker 2: Just insignificand just in general until the end when they tried to give her more?
Speaker 1: Who is that? That's Julia? That's Julia Fox.
Speaker 4: That was I say, his wife, right yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Because remember she had the party with it. We don't know if they slept together or not. And yeah, then later on she was kind of part of the transition to the colt and you know.
Speaker 3: Was she the one dressed up in the white stuff in the end? Was that her.
Speaker 1: Sheet? She the one with the with the she had?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I remember she cut the guy's head off at the party and stuff like that, because the guy told him to run, you know, ran, he thought on her.
Speaker 1: We don't have to have any thoughts on her, I just asking.
Speaker 4: I feel like she was fine. I like to si I like her as as an actress or whatever. But again, I think direction it just you know, she just she was, you just working within the confines.
Speaker 1: Of what she she had or whatever.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think she played the role of the rich wife, you know, downfall of of any football.
Speaker 1: Type type figure or whatever.
Speaker 4: I think I think everything was a was a symbol of something, and I think she played it fine, you know, like she was there to seduce him and the people.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think that that was it.
Speaker 2: How long did it take before y'all was like, oh, y'all giving him Isaiah's blood.
Speaker 1: First injection, second objection. I figured that from the jump.
Speaker 4: I mean, they put too much emphasis on it, Like why I put that much emphasis on it?
Speaker 3: And then you immediately after you object him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then he woke up.
Speaker 3: They was trying to rip it out his arm.
Speaker 2: Well that was later on, after a couple but yeah, because that that came after he was at the party. So at the party, that's when he he basically agreed to become the nets great and they gave him basically almost an ultimatum like if you're there, you know, you're either gonna do it or you don't, but this is your only chance, you know. Also, Isaiah didn't go because he's gonna stay and he wanted to watch film that kept coming around. He's just gonna stay and watch film. So he had drunk the cup and then the cup he passed out and that's when he woke up. And I guess that's when he saw everything for what it truthfully is, and that's when he ripped out the ivy from his arm. So anyway, what about justin Tipping, did you guys feel like he did a good job of missing horror with sports rituals because there's a lot of you know, ritual kinography, satanic stuff, because at some point it's easy to see that this is the cult that's going on. How did you think he did at least with that part of the movie.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't think you did a great job because the correlation is a lot more similar.
Speaker 3: Than he presented it.
Speaker 5: MM, Like, yes, it's there, and had the story not been so abstract. I think those similarities that you're speaking of between coldness and fandom, they would have stuck out even more the But the reason it was muted is because it's all of this wild like you overstated the presentation of it. So now that takes away from the messaging in the sense of damn, you're right, like it's almost we should have came to that realization without him saying it so much on Yeah, exactly like we should have been like, damn, I never realized how much sports and cults were like until like they were showing the similarities without just overstating it.
Speaker 1: But he overstated it.
Speaker 3: To you, like, yeah, we knew that already, overstating and stylizing it. It's it's just like why like like do it in a like almost in like almost like in an obvious way.
Speaker 4: But then like you said, just like, oh, damn, you know what I'm saying. I didn't think about it like that. There was no cleverness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't clever.
Speaker 3: You were just trying to be too directing extra like for.
Speaker 1: What Yeah, you have goats and coats, goats and sports.
Speaker 4: You got talking about ghats, talking about saviors, and it's just like you just like acting like we dumb.
Speaker 5: It's like really, it's like you're saying you sound smart to the nigga who dumb?
Speaker 2: Yeah, which which pushes us into the final actor part of the movie where we can finally learn what it takes to be a goat, you know.
Speaker 1: So now we're going to talk about whether or not the ending paid off.
Speaker 4: Even not that part, but it was even it was even a part where where the sports medicine guy, I guess that's who he played as he he said something is like, you know, it's like a gladiator and only one will leave, so you know what's coming, And were like, bro's again you acting like we're dumb, Like you're gonna just throw that in our face, like like oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he walk He confronts Isaiah.
Speaker 2: Isaiah's laying up looking at film, which is nothing but his fans, you know, and that we learned that goats game power through blood transfusions, and that this is something that they've been doing for a while now, you know, and there can only be one goat you know, at a time, you know, so, and.
Speaker 1: They have a fight to the death and uh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's why I mentioned it because he already has said he foreshadow oh.
Speaker 1: And that his father arranged the whole thing too. She put that out. We have to fight. What do y'all think about the fight?
Speaker 3: I didn't like the reaction.
Speaker 5: So like those the those normal white men when the only one that had a sub the right reaction to what was going on. They was like, oh, we thought this was to be smooth and he bucking. I thought this was gonna go cause he wanted to be the goal like it usually goes, and then for it to turn into turning to him killing them all, which is gonna be obvious as well.
Speaker 3: Uh, it was almost like again.
Speaker 5: He expected all of this like y'all presented to him. Y'all presented him to us the people that are viewing this as a football player. But never once in this movie did it address like I think you said earlier roch right.
Speaker 3: Uh, he went in there coliseum.
Speaker 5: And killed maybe five six people and then he killed somebody earlier, Like it never was it established why he was okay with just killing people right like you play football, bro right, Like what what is happening right now? And he had to go in there and he made this decision in the coliseum. Okay, I'm frona fight this quarterback to the death and also kill all of these other things. He killed it, He killed these other things that attributed to you know, me wanting to be the golden these gluepholes you have to jump through to be the goat, like I guess kind of breaking the system down or whatever it may be. But how was he okay with all of this? They never phased.
Speaker 2: Him and just go ahead, yeah, yeah, Well, I'm just saying, like, you know, he kills Cam and then he goes out, walks out into the thing, and then Elsie's there and the owners are there and they want him to sign this contract or else. And that's when he gets the hammer and the sword and just start brutally murdering everybody except Tom and but Tom.
Speaker 1: Got caught in a pendergram and.
Speaker 4: She's first going back to the fight like kind of like what fight was saying he like I thought he was gonna go there with it, But.
Speaker 1: Like, why are we fighting? Why do we fighting?
Speaker 5: Why are we fighting for to the death? Why are we fighting to the death for this spot? Why aren't we seeing who is the most skilled for the spot? Like that doesn't make sense, Like like like why are we Why.
Speaker 3: Are we fighting to the death for the spot survivals?
Speaker 1: Uh, remember they can only be one too, it's for his foot.
Speaker 3: But it's football we're talking about this, ain't This ain't a more to combat.
Speaker 1: Wasn't there something similar that happened in any given.
Speaker 3: Sunday when no old man and will baby it was, yeah, but they were they were they were like taking like steroids and stuff like you trying to get better, right, yeah, but he wasn't trying to He wasn't trying.
Speaker 1: To kill him, right, No, No, No, there wasn't that part of it. But I guess that was it.
Speaker 2: Like, you know, here's a young guy coming in and trying to take your spot. Remember when he was shooting the guys Like, yeah, Well he said I like to earn everything that I exactly, which I guess played into why he rejected the offer. But he said, but you know, if I hit, maybe I'll let you keep QB one, you know. But yeah, at some point those on top have to go down and somebody at the bottom and I take that spot.
Speaker 4: So why are they we're talking about Yeah, we're talking about football though, this, I.
Speaker 5: Mean, how did it get so extremestre at this point. No, I get it, I get it, but but it's saying that makes no sense. It makes no sense to fight to the death for this spot because what if he's trash? You know what I'm saying, Like, like you know what I'm saying, trash because that's what the blood transfusion and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: It was to ensure that he was definitely going to be good. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So but so it's like like make them play off for like, like, see who's the better quarterback?
Speaker 1: Here's the question, like, now who's the better fighter? This ain't about the better killer and.
Speaker 3: Who Like how does the world respond to the goat being killed?
Speaker 2: That's exactly what I was gonna ask. That was the glaring hole that I had, Like.
Speaker 3: This man is the most popular athlete in the world.
Speaker 5: He got eight championships, and you just killed him, and you're like you're gonna go play football, right, and.
Speaker 2: Now you've got bodies Nobody's gonna ask where is Isaiah. That's like if Tom Brady just disappeared off the face. Yeah, people think he's to go. He's not my goal, but you know it's crazy. Yeah, if he just just what Michael Jordan just disappear and then Lebron's there.
Speaker 1: They were like, well, what happened to Jordan Lebron? She killed me? Right or you know right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because it ain't even be more believable if they competed for this spot to me.
Speaker 5: And we understand it is horror, So there are going to be unbelievable things, but at least make them.
Speaker 1: It looks like you're trying to make it.
Speaker 4: Make some my thing's white, Like, you can even make that horrific, like even if you are competing like you could be. They could be kind of like the Long Walk when Nigga was walking on this fucking broken foot. Facts you can make you can make that horrific like still, but just make it like fu just make it about football realistic man, like like this Nigga just just keeps throwing into this fucking on is out of the second show, the whole like fucking extra show a cl torn and you're still trying to run through that like like show something like that. That's gonna be like, oh god, you know what I'm saying. Not them fighting to the death and he hitting them with a trophy and a helmet. Man, that ship was whack man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, embarrassing. Like I said, I was cringey after I thought the killing everybody that part was like, yeah, that was super. They went there like what y'all They like, we got to.
Speaker 2: End this movie they wanted to really was yeah, you're right. They were like, we're gonna give y'all something. It was supposed to be. I felt like, this is supposed to be the moment everybody's supposed to leave it and talk about it was the glorious, bloodiest part of the movie that we've seen up to this point. And this guy with this broken arm, it walked out and just killed a bunch of old people, and that was supposed to be. It was like, oh my god, we're gonna get them to this one, and I felt like it.
Speaker 1: Didn't work.
Speaker 3: This This ending reminded me of the ending of uh was it Sorry About You.
Speaker 1: Working? Yeah? Yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: But that movie was better because it wasn't that over to the top, like they just ruined it at the end with that It's all alert, But this one was reminding me.
Speaker 3: Of that, like' just gonna keep going.
Speaker 1: You got witness, you got chi leaders.
Speaker 3: There ain't nobody gonna say nothing like like you.
Speaker 1: Oh and don't forget when you want them to.
Speaker 5: The guy he jumped like, oh you got band people, you got chi leader's man people, and you just killed all these people in front.
Speaker 3: And they just looking like it's just it's normal, it's happening. It worked there, Like, what's going on? I don't understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's it's you know you're talking about because there's a conversation about the exportation of athletes, you know, going back earlier when he said, oh, take your clothes off so you can oh yeah, and he dropped everything and they were like, oh, yeah, we didn't mean you to take your underwear off, right.
Speaker 1: That was crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but how uncomfortable he was, but how willingly he was able to do it. We talk about the draft and how they do the similar things in the draft. You know, there's this whole situation about, you know, fathers grooming their kids to be this whole thing that happened with Cam in an interview, said that he told us that he wanted to do it his dad died, which was probably the colt killing his dad to give him motivation to move forward because he had already opted out of football, so he took his dad off the board to inspire him to continue the legacy part this whole thing, you know, but yeah, how all of them because of course it's no surprise that the agent was involved, because they made it a point to tell us that Isaiah's also is agent as well, so you know so, and then that's it, and he kills everybody. He walks into the desert and that is basically the movie. So closing thoughts, did this movie succeed as a sports scorer? I think the answer is no. Some everything you guys are saying.
Speaker 3: I think Jordan Peel better be careful my closing.
Speaker 1: Thoughts Boom, That's where I wanted to go.
Speaker 2: B I kind of acted on a little bit started the question Jordan Peele and it was funny.
Speaker 1: B Brent. Yeah, easy and uh, but he kind of had a point about whether Jordan Piel is falling off. But the argument against.
Speaker 2: It was that these are not his movies, his name on it.
Speaker 1: He needs to do that.
Speaker 2: He needs to stop doing that because people went to this movie because his name is on it. They went to see Candy Man because his name was on it, and TV and.
Speaker 3: That the TV shows bad that he did too. I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 1: Probably yeah it was. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't want to say the wrong name, but yeah, yeah, yeah, So I think him, I don't know if this movie fits in the Monkey Paul productions, like.
Speaker 1: Uh, filmography or whatever.
Speaker 2: You know, it doesn't feel like if I get why he would sign something like that.
Speaker 1: But did he read the script at all?
Speaker 3: Is he trying to They claim he liked the story, the story could have been on write, if it was executed better, if it was directed better.
Speaker 1: I think, well, you.
Speaker 4: Know what, No, I don't know, because the story had all this shit in it like that, Like I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like because because the whole time I'm watching the movie, I'm asking myself these questions, why did Jordan Peel get this? But at the same time, I like, I could see him liking the story. But then I'm like, but did he even watch the movie?
Speaker 1: Did he see the results of the story? Did he like the idea of.
Speaker 2: The movie or story and not how it was actually told?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Like what was you know? Yeah you know what I'm saying. Yeah, no, he probably liked the idea. Yeah yeah, yeah. I haven't heard his words. I don't know.
Speaker 3: But because I'm like, bro, why would you even do this because it had Jordan Peel air.
Speaker 1: Ye, for sure, they just did it wrong.
Speaker 2: Do you think that they were definitely I guess it's obvious that they were definitely trying to go You guys said earlier they were trying to go for Jordan Peele abs.
Speaker 1: Do you think that that was also part of the problem, is that they.
Speaker 5: Tried They should have asked for his advice if they was gonna try to go his thing, because I I think that he's a better storyteller than it's based off get out, based off us. I didn't see the Nope the Nope joint, but I haven't heard bad things about the story. Some people didn't like, you know, how it paid off or whatever it may.
Speaker 1: Be, but payoff wasn't that great.
Speaker 5: I feel like he don't lack storytelling skill, and that's what needed to happen in this film, Like somebody didn't know how to tell a story better needed to step in and kind of like round the edges.
Speaker 3: It was too rough around the edges.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: So, Yeah, he.
Speaker 5: Gotta be careful with his name, even if it's Jordan Peel esque. I feel like if he gonna put his name on stuff moving forward and then he has to influence the storyteller somewhere in somewhere. And I don't know if you want to over if that's overstepping as just a production company. But I feel like with take A twenty four you mentioned for example, it seems like even though it really isn't because it's many different directors, but does an A twenty four style of film, and it usually gives that same like storytelling style in all of those films even though it's not the same directors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, like.
Speaker 5: You see A twenty four, you kind of know what to explain with Jordan Peel now, like you said, the story is similar to his type of story, but the storytelling ain't like it need.
Speaker 1: To be in Trouble brouh.
Speaker 2: I know everybody like to watch out in big trouble, saying many Yeah, the reaction and the response hasn't been good to this this movie so far. Yeah, and uh so I don't know, I don't know, but this this one ain't it so yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh I want to than Mike seeing like this.
Speaker 4: He probably ain't seen it yet, but I will I do one. I can't imagine him liking this. I don't think he was like this.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine. I'll be surprised if he likes it.
Speaker 4: I mean, he already don't like football, as I can't imagine blacking football horror.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, I don't know. I can't imagine him liking it. I wish ab was able to come. He said he didn't hate it.
Speaker 1: He didn't hate it.
Speaker 3: He said it was med, he said it was mid, but he said he didn't hate it.
Speaker 5: I'm kind of I think, That's what I'm saying. I think mid is way too high of a grade. So I would have loved to know why you thought.
Speaker 4: The reason why I think is closer to me would be because of the acting. I really like the acting in it. I just hate the execution.
Speaker 1: Wayns was the best performance? Is there worse at all? Worse performance in this? Is there a bad performance in this? It really wasn't a lot of bad. Yeah, it wasn't like the brother was on. The brother was fine, the mother was selling it, even even if the girlfriend she was good.
Speaker 3: Like like, that's what I'm saying that this The actors didn't failed this movie.
Speaker 4: The directors failed this story telling. Yeah, it was the way they told it. It was the way they told it because even the sports agent was fine.
Speaker 3: The met sports medicine guy was fine.
Speaker 1: Which had like a ranking of greating system.
Speaker 4: We need we need some We do need something like that like directing acting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do need something like that.
Speaker 3: Kind of like how we do it the Yeah, we definitely got to start because this would have been zeros across the board for actor.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I think how like I think you mentioned that the way it looks some of the scenes were it was cool.
Speaker 1: Cinematography could be fine, but it's almost like a music video or something.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what I was.
Speaker 5: You know, does this music video background or something, because that's what it felt like a music video?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that million percent because you.
Speaker 4: Got flashes here and there of these scenes and yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: All right, man, well we're gonna leave it there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let us know what you guys think about Jordan's pills.
Speaker 1: Uh produced movie him. But it's actually really it's all on Justin Tipple.
Speaker 2: Yes, his name is all over Jordan Piel, just put it out. But we are you know, you know how people do. Man, Nah, that's Jordan Peel. Shit.
Speaker 1: They don't talk about Jordan Peel.
Speaker 2: They don't even they probably don't even know justin until now. Anyway, Man, let us know what you guys think about the movie.
Speaker 1: Man, we'll leave it there. We'll catch you guys next time we are out. Piece