Speaker 1: Six point twenty one here on this Wednesday night of breaking with Brett Jensen here on Charlie's News Talk one is seven point nine FM. Okay, So by seventy seven Totlanes, I explained some things to you, and I am really really interested to hear what this person has to say about all of this and the fact that the NCDOT has offered basically a three hundred million dollar bribe or is paying a three hundred million dollar ransom, whichever way you want to look at it. So joining us now here I'm breaking with Bret Jensen is North Kinnta State Senator Vicky Sawyer. First of all, thank you for joining us tonight. And second of all, is NCDOT just came out and said, look, if you let us build our Tolane expansion on I seventy seven between caroen Wan's Boulevard and uptown, we'll give that whole community three hundred million dollars and you can build parks and grocery stores and whatever. So when you first heard about all of that, what was your initial reaction?
Speaker 2: Concern? Complete concern, Because I know that the pressure is on to get this project done or underway, and I completely feel for those in charge who are just trying to get that to happen. But what president are we setting for other communities across the stage. Are they now going to be able to hold the got in a state hostage for personal or gain through redevelopment of property. I mean, that is just really setting a horrible precedent for very precious resources that we don't quite frankly have enough to build the roads that we already have promised to build across North Carolina.
Speaker 1: Speak with North counta state Senator Vicky Sawyer, who has parts of Mecklenberg County and Irondale County in her district. So do you think the NCDOT maybe did this on their own, or that there was outside influence from groups or individuals, or do you think Josh Stein had something to do.
Speaker 2: With this great question? I think probably all of the above. To be honest. There are the lobbyist class who has been working very hard to get this project done. They're in dot in the governor's office. I mean, this is again, Charlotte is our biggest economic driver in North Carolina and this is a much needed project, so it has got a lot of attention. So I could imagine all of the above probably had influence on this decision.
Speaker 1: North Conina State Senator Vicki Sawyer joins us here on breaking with Brad Jensen. So let's say the community actually accepts this offer of three hundred million dollars. I'll call it a bribe. They call it an offer, but I'll call it a bribe. How do you think this will actually come across if they actually accept this offer.
Speaker 2: It's kind of sad that a person or a grouse morality is for sale. And I guess now they have put the price on their morality. And I don't know that that's a good look for them, because now it's going to undercut their value, say some and their virtue signaling that they are really there to help folks that have been disadvantaged in the past, but they'll help them until they get paid. That's a really bad look.
Speaker 1: Speak with North Kinda State Senator Vicki Sawyer. I don't know if you know this off the top of your head, but do you know how many requests are put in for road repair or road expansion, either from a dollar figure side or whatever, from across the state. Do you have any idea about that?
Speaker 2: A little bit. The DT came out and there are one hundred and forty four billion dollars worth of requests for new road construction across North Carolina in the next ten years. Now, we have a state budget of around eight to nine billion dollars annually, so you can see that we do not have enough money in transportation to honor the commitments that we already have on the books, much less expanding current commitments by three hundred million dollars.
Speaker 1: I don't know if this is true or not, so maybe you can clear something up for me. I've been told for a long long time that if they pull out of the I seventy seven expansion and it does not go through, that the next time that they want to do the expansion, they actually go back to the bottom of the list that you are just describing and they have to start from square one and wait their turn. Is that true?
Speaker 2: It can be accurate? Now again, this ten year construction plan that we call the Step that Governor McCrory helped shephard during his time in office, is a fluid document. So that means every two years, the DOT selects the committee and that committee sets standards for those projects to be considered. So I can say for now that is accurate, but you never know two years for now what that those standards could have been changed at that time. So it is a fluid document. So for now it goes to the back of the Arne Growth.
Speaker 1: Gone and State Senator VICKI soy here, I'm breaking with Brad Jensen. So is there anything that you want to talk about that I didn't ask you about? Is there anything going on up in Raleigh right now? Is there anything happening that you want to discuss that I didn't mention?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm on the road back now from Raleigh, but the answer is no, there's all there's always some things going on in Raleigh and but there's nothing currently that I can report on North.
Speaker 1: Kina State Senator Vicky Sawyer. Is there anything you'd like to say to the listeners and your constituents and the people of Mecklinborog County right now?
Speaker 2: No, just want to thank you for listening to the Brett Jenson Show. You do an amazing job with contacting and really working with electives and to get the answer to the people, and I enjoy being a listener.
Speaker 1: Well, that was clearly unexpected and now I feel like I have to send you flowers or something.
Speaker 2: Honestly, it came to nine because I had someone who listened to our interview about the seventy seven tolls and he complimented and said he listened to the show and that was made a lot of sense after we listened. So I am very grateful for that.
Speaker 1: Well, I really really do appreciate the kind words. That's really nice of you. So North Coulnta State Senator Vicky Sawyer, thank you for joining us tonight. I really mean it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: All right, there she goes North Kountin State Senator Vicky Sawyer and again her districts are Idoll County and then the northern part of Mecklemberg County, which is Cornelius and Davidson talking about the I seventy seven tollans selling your morals exactly what I talked about last segment. And I didn't think about this when she said, it's like a light bulb went off. Oh, well, now you're given the blueprints for every town across all over North Carolina to try and ransom or trying to get more money, negotiate to get more money, how to hold the NCDOT hostage, because if they're doing it for Charlotte, if you're in Rocky Mount, or you're in Blowing Rock, or you're in Brunswick wherever, Brunswick County, it does not matter. Now anywhere can say no, no, no, we want more money. You gave it to Charlotte, why not give it to us. Are you playing favorites, dude, based on race? You playing favorites based on location? Like, now, that's what's happening. That's what's happening. So again, we'll see if that community sells their black heritage or not. Because it's seventy five million dollars, they were steadfast against it. Three hundred million dollars. We'll see what happens in a couple of grocery stores, a park, We'll see what happens