Speaker 1: The Frames per Second Podcast.
Speaker 2: All right, everybody, welcome to the Frames per Second Podcast, where we are reviewing the brand new movie is a God. That is This was directed by Alisha Harris, who I haven't heard of before. Debut debut filmed by Alisa Harris, and it was I seen. It was based off of something. You know what it was? I play play Okay, so it's based on yes, the first voice you heard?
Speaker 3: Of course, I have Mike rod a Ken with me.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 4: How are y'all doing? Well? How are you doing?
Speaker 3: All right, let's jump into it.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm gonna go around the room and see what y'all thought about this movie. Had you have expectations and did it meet them?
Speaker 1: Rod?
Speaker 3: What did you think about this film?
Speaker 1: I had?
Speaker 5: I won't say I had expectations, but I did see the review for it and it did piqued my interest. I think we did a trailer reaction for it. So if you're Patreon supporter, you probably can see that there FPS podcast. Look what is it?
Speaker 3: Second podcast?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, French second because I know that it's different from the YouTube, but but yeah, no, I enjoyed this. It felt like an original story. I didn't know about the play but looking at us like, oh, yeah, this is I haven't seen anything like this, you know what I'm saying, So like, yeah, I thought it. I thought it was interesting. Yeah, I enjoyed it. Man, I had these people wanted.
Speaker 4: The like.
Speaker 2: Of actions in my theater was crazy, like so yeah, man, yeah it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was. It was a fun time. Actually, what'd you think?
Speaker 4: I fuck with him man a lot. Actually, I really really enjoyed, uh watching this movie. There were there was a moment where I was like, oh, I don't I don't think I like sort of the messaging that it was kind of giving across. But I think everything else after that kind of got it out out of my mind a little bit. So maybe I was just thinking about it it too hard.
Speaker 1: But for the most part, though, I've.
Speaker 4: Really really enjoyed myself watching this movie.
Speaker 3: Okay, Mike, what'd you think?
Speaker 1: So? First of all, I gotta tell y'all something real quick.
Speaker 6: Okay, So I moved from the East I moved from East Point, and I was like, I've stopped going to Camp Creek a while ago, and I just been going tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Camp Creek is only like eight minutes from my old house.
Speaker 6: I was like, I'm just gonna hit Camp Creek this last time, just a farewell to Camp Creek. Y'all already know this movie. These motherfuckers. It was a whole row in the back. They all came together that I can deal with. They were just having a conversation. Oh, they were just talking.
Speaker 1: Like who is that? I swear to God this happened.
Speaker 2: One guy that was at the end row yelled say so at the other guy that was on the other side of the road, what's up?
Speaker 1: And they were going back and forth. They were just talking during I was fucking mad.
Speaker 6: I lasted until they got to where Biba Gate Fox is and I was like, fuck this, and I got up and I went outside. I went outside and I said, I pulled a Karen. I said, I want to talk to a manager because I want my past. Because I thought with our ship, the AMC thing we could do. I know it's two movies a week, but it's not two movies in the day.
Speaker 1: No it's not. I tried, and it would not let me do.
Speaker 4: It where the movie times overlapping.
Speaker 3: No, I've done it before.
Speaker 4: I have too.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't let me do it.
Speaker 2: I missed one and I had to go back and watch it. Yeah, well, let me do it, because like I'm sorry, go ahead. No, it was just for that.
Speaker 5: That movie with I can't remember the name of it though. It was like real purplish colors and.
Speaker 1: We can TV glow. Yeah, TV Glow. Did you cancel it? No, you can't cancel it. The movie started.
Speaker 4: Right, so you missed the movie time. You just went at a later time, so it was in one of your empty slots.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I went to the movie did exactly what he did. I had to leave, but it wasn't because people were loud. I just had to had to be. I had to go somewhere. I got an emergency call, and so I went back later okay, and watched it that day that day, that same day that.
Speaker 2: Well, that was probably like well, whenever that movie came out, it was years ago.
Speaker 4: That may have changed it.
Speaker 6: It might be to where if you're in a movie and it's already started, that you can't.
Speaker 3: You probably got to end.
Speaker 6: It's probably the movies got probably got an end before you could purchase another ticket.
Speaker 5: Oh so you was trying to purchase something, That's what I was saying. The overlapping.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, the movie hadn't. No, well, okay, I see what you're saying overlapping.
Speaker 2: I thought, yeah, you're right, you're right, you're right, yes, yeah, Because the next movie didn't start until five fifteen.
Speaker 1: The movie I was in.
Speaker 6: Was at four four o'clock four fifteen, four or fifteen, so about four point thirty. I was trying to person at to take it and it was like no. So I was like fuck this. I went out there and I was like, I need to talk to a manager. Marriager came out. I was like, bro, I don't usually care about people talking like that, but this is ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I gotta go, and he was like, no, we'll go in there and just tell them people. I was like no, because first while I already missed a good ten minutes waiting for you to come out, and they gonna know it was me. I'm not finna get jumped by these twelve negroes in the back row.
Speaker 1: But I got super lucky.
Speaker 6: I got stuck in forty minutes worth of traffic, but I still got tomorrow. I literally walked in as they were walking in to see Vivica Fox. Oh wow, this is per perfect, and my audience again still all black.
Speaker 1: Yeah, quiet until they didn't need to be quiet. Yes, you know what I'm saying, Like they were really into the film, you know, like what's going on, what's happening with the movie. Oh shit, that's great, that's that's fun.
Speaker 7: But y'all, motherfuckers, all these hot dogs crazy, Nick, these hot dogs?
Speaker 1: Are you serious?
Speaker 4: Are you serious?
Speaker 2: Anyway, all that to say, this was fucking great.
Speaker 1: This was fucking great.
Speaker 6: I'm so glad I did not stay in Camp Creek because I would have missed all of the dialogue.
Speaker 1: Yep, this was fucking great. I had.
Speaker 6: I don't want to say no or low expectations. I think I remember liking the trailer, and I fuck with Randall Peterson anytime he's in something.
Speaker 1: So yeah, man, this was This was fantastic.
Speaker 6: Like one of y'all said, it felt original, which is so rare these days. It felt like an original idea, an original story, and for a debut by a black woman, she killed it.
Speaker 1: She killed it. Got some gritch, but they're small, they're real small.
Speaker 2: I think we're all in the grits. I was scared. I didn't think I was gonna like it, just from the trailer. Thought would be kind of like, but the dialogue just how she set everything up, the storytelling, how they told the story like it was.
Speaker 4: It was great.
Speaker 2: Like, Yeah, I was sitting there and it made me think of that movie that we did with with with the Hobby. We did a review at the house and the movie was about the man and the wife, but it was really saying like the god and the different stuff.
Speaker 1: What was that we did.
Speaker 4: Ago?
Speaker 2: It was a review for like an anniversary episode and the story was about the Yes, I felt like I was watching this movie and it was saying something different from what was happening on the screen.
Speaker 3: But I really didn't put you together and I didn't know it was.
Speaker 1: Like a black Mother. No.
Speaker 3: I just felt like there was more message into what.
Speaker 2: Was going on on the screen than what they were saying. So I want to see some reviews and like breakdowns on it. But I enjoyed it. Man, this movie was really good. I walked out of it there still thinking about it. Yeah, that's absolutely And.
Speaker 5: See people talking on if y'all saw see people talking about it afterwards, Yeah, I'm what I'm saying, like after they leave them, after they left the movie, So people in the movie, I can hear them like kind of talking about it and they having reactions.
Speaker 3: So when was it ending?
Speaker 2: Like the guy next to me and the grill that was interested in his heir, like you just heard commentary after why the movie was going. I did have a similar experience. I went to Conyor's because I was out there. Oh Jesus oh, I was at that way black, all black, and it was going great.
Speaker 3: And like you said, they didn't talk to they need to talk.
Speaker 2: But it was a lady behind me, old lady phone star rings just didn't cut the ring off.
Speaker 3: She just pressed.
Speaker 2: She just kept lending ring. She answered, hello, Oh no, I'm in the movies. Baby, didn't take you out the movie. I'm in the movies, baby, I don't know. It was Mike calling him. Movie again.
Speaker 1: You were in Conye's or you were at Stonecrast.
Speaker 2: I was at the Kanye Still who even goes to the Conyers out there? I used to, but I would, I would go ahead and drive to Stonecrust. Here's the thing I was behind, and all the other ones started too late, and I want to follow feel And that was the only one for the window that I had from seven to fifteen, because I wouldn't been there. If it was after nine en, I was gonna go to sleep. I have not been to the Conye staters since I lived in Conyers. It was a lot of people, I'm sureuse they ain't got nothing else to do.
Speaker 3: I just get into this movie.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: We meet the twins, and as we're meeting the twins, the introduction of them is just them doing their twin thing.
Speaker 3: And for me, this really worked.
Speaker 2: I liked how they intro this and like introduced us to the way that they communicate, how in tune they are with each other.
Speaker 3: What did you think about the beginning of this month, you.
Speaker 6: Said, Mike, Yeah, I liked it, Man, I liked it. I think it started off with the younger twins, right, Yes, I was like, yep, that's what you're doing. Somebody call your little sister whip that especially. I think it was a little white kid. I think, regardless of the of the race, beat the ass. But do we do we immediately go on to the older twins.
Speaker 2: After they show him beating after they show her beating her with the cone. Then it goes to the older twins and they kind of do their spiel of how much they know each other and how they think telepathy, and I was confused because it started in me. So we start with the young twins, Like you said, we go to their job with a lady. Yes, that's right, and looks at her kind of funny. That's the Yeah. This this, all of this threw me off.
Speaker 6: And I don't know if they were trying to say something with this either or whatever. But they didn't look like twins because like one was clearly way taller than the other. But they did that with the boys too, So I don't know. Oh, y'all can have to explain that.
Speaker 2: See how I nicely asked y'all to explain it, but Rod has to act like I'm stupid.
Speaker 1: No, I just know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: See how I just friendly was just like, okay, y'all can't have to explain that, because I know, I know fraternal and much not not much know what's the other one?
Speaker 4: Fraternal?
Speaker 1: Maternal?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 6: I know one is like they share a cell or something and the cell splits. I don't really know the details, but I didn't know even if they were fraternal, I didn't think one could be like way taller than the ab.
Speaker 1: That's what I was asking Roder. I didn't know that, So I didn't know.
Speaker 4: That my uh some real close friends of mine back when I was in Meridium, Mississippi. They were fraternal friends, right winds, fraternal friends twins. One was Sis six or S seven and the other was like five nine.
Speaker 1: I did not know that that could happen, but I didn't know it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was, it was. It was crazy because I used.
Speaker 6: To watch Oh and you know, Brenda and Brandon were supposed to be twins, and I was when I was a kid, I was like, how the funk are they twins? Are y'all playing our face like this? White people are weird? But then someone else told me, like, no, they're fraternal twins. So I thought that just meant that they could be boy girl. I didn't know that they would still be the same gender or sex, but one would just be like.
Speaker 4: And they looked the same but different. But yeah, the height I did not know.
Speaker 3: I went to high school with.
Speaker 2: That's the only reason they didn't throw me off, because I went to high school with these two guys who were fraternal twins, and one was slightly taller than the other one they favored. They looked like brothers, but they didn't like twins, and so that's the only thing that didn't throw me off because I went to high school interesting.
Speaker 3: And I dated a triplet and she was different from the other ones.
Speaker 2: Free Okay, bro, would you think about this opening from the kid beating her up and them sitting the tone for which sister was which, and then even the scene at their job, No.
Speaker 3: I mean it opened really well.
Speaker 5: I was like, Oh, yeah, this, I think this is gonna be good, especially like when you see, you know, how she protected the system. I think a lot of like I don't know how white people are, but a lot of black people can relate to that, like siblings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all of that. That's a very relatable story.
Speaker 5: And I and like just sound effects, like I like it sounded like the kid was going through pain and agony she was.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh that kids ound like he crying for real. Like so I like the fact that they really sold that off off camera.
Speaker 5: And then when she came back on camera and put her hands around her and you could see like the blood on her hand and everything else was black and white, I.
Speaker 1: Was like, Oh the ship creative.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh damn, okay, I was really fucking with it and so uh and so yeah, I didn't going to the to where they were currently with them interacting with that lady that looked at her like you could see like she when she handed her the scarf and she looked at.
Speaker 1: Her hand and was hesitated to grab it.
Speaker 3: And that's how people are, man.
Speaker 6: She had like a like one two of the fingers were stuck together, and ship, I didn't know what that look like, might be fucking contained.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the fuck you got the.
Speaker 2: Hell, but you're right though, that like that's something that that people think, you know, people think when they see stuff like that, and it's kind of sad, you know what I'm saying that, Yeah, so I thought that was real, you know what I mean, Like I like the realness off top like of of of how people think and how they are.
Speaker 3: And so yeah, man, I fu with it.
Speaker 2: I didn't take it there. The lady was surprised, and you would be if you see that when the other you know, when the other girl came, she did a very bad job of like even that girl keeping her composed, even the one that was that wasn't.
Speaker 1: Burnt as bad, you know what I'm saying, Like she was sharing her arm.
Speaker 5: She was just like, I don't want you could tell the hesitance, like that's what that was the brilliance of the scene. Yeah, because she was just like, you know, she had to think about it, like do I want.
Speaker 1: To get this ship? Yeah, like you didn't.
Speaker 2: But I thought the first one was kind of like you can kind of expect that. She probably get that a lot. But when it was overboard with the sister, which is why she snapped on her.
Speaker 3: So I got that. I was I was did you like it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: But I think what it did was it really set the tone for everything else that followed the movie. In the movie, and it also quickly established like the real world scenarios they be dealing with constantly over and over again, just in that that quick like a couple of scenes. So now we already know like the different things that's been going on in life without having to spend a lot of time watching that ship, you know. So they showed it from when they were young, and then this other scenario, and I felt like that was that was enough?
Speaker 1: That was that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was enough.
Speaker 3: I agree with you. I think that was enough.
Speaker 2: So from there we go to them going home. The car choice was interesting. They could have gave them a little bit. Yeah, like that made me. It just made me wonder what year it was. When they go to their house and they got a letter from their mother that was addressed to the twin that didn't have the burns on her face.
Speaker 3: She reads the letter.
Speaker 2: Mother's dying and she wants them to come see her, and the other twin is apprehensive racine, yes, racing.
Speaker 3: Did y'all like the it's stupid and said, shout out to be man.
Speaker 2: He just walked in. I keep sugar foot on. So they had this whole back and forth about should they go see their mother. She's never came to see them. Now she's asking them to come see her. Uh, them to come see her. And they go through this thing when they do the twin to let But then they're talking and you see it on the screen, so you'll know what you're thinking.
Speaker 3: Did y'all like that communication?
Speaker 1: Sorry? Yes, yes, because they were they were talking.
Speaker 6: I don't think ebonics is the correct word anymore. What's the correct word now? Av Yeah? African American vernacular? What's I don't know is it English?
Speaker 1: It is? So? So are we offended? I'm not sure who's offended because I don't.
Speaker 6: I never spoke ebonics, but never did. I'm fluent in the You're from fucking Nashville, but no, you're not supposed to. I don't remember who's offended. I assume that the word ebonics I don't. I don't would have to be folk.
Speaker 2: When you say us, you mean all black people or a certain segment of black because people I'm sure Candice Owns is perfectly fine with it, but maybe people that are poor that speak in that way.
Speaker 1: I don't like it being called ebonic. I don't know.
Speaker 6: All I'm saying is I don't want to offend nobody. I don't want no person ebonically coming up in something I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 6: All I'm saying is I'm pretty sure you're supposed to use the term African American vernacular English.
Speaker 5: I did not know this information. As a person that has spoken to bonics, yeah, I did not. I would have never felt definitive if somebody said that to me.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, at any rate, they were speaking a V.
Speaker 2: But they were they were having the text on the screen, but it was like in a a V.
Speaker 6: I was like, this is actually kind of funny. The way they're doing this. So I really like that.
Speaker 5: That was creative. Like I'm saying, it felt the original. I felt like I've seen it somewhere before, but not in this way.
Speaker 1: You always want to do the black woman like this, Yeah, to do a V on the screen like a.
Speaker 2: V, but to communicate that way amongst the characters.
Speaker 3: Well, oh well yeah that's what I mean.
Speaker 5: Like so so yeah, but no, I still think it was dope how they did it because it came out of nowhere. I'm like, wait, and you got to catch on, like, oh, that's what you know they're going on that this is the thing.
Speaker 3: So I thought that was cool because you you know, you hear about.
Speaker 2: That with with with twins or whatever, how they can read each other's minds and things.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I like that a lot, not only just like twins because you're right, but there's that conversation about like black people talking.
Speaker 1: Too, just about looking at each other and stuff like that. Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so when I when I saw it, I didn't even think about the twins thing. I was thinking about, Oh, yeah, that's that's how you know, like black women or would talk to one another when they're.
Speaker 1: Walking the spotlight, like we can give each other a look, you know, with just kind of detail. You didn't think twins, I didn't what.
Speaker 2: I don't know why, but I didn't they were doing that whole los of sentences.
Speaker 1: Man, I know, I know.
Speaker 4: So that is that that takes a step a layer further, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Because people can have a whole conversation saying bitch, bitch.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: But but like it also reminds me of like how you see I don't know if y'all see this online where people have a bunch of letters that mean something like you know what, you know what, it's amazing, It's amazing to see it and like, oh, manle mean like sit your black ass down, like you know what.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, So you better have your ass in the house for I know you would love to have more content from Frames per Second. Become a patron where you can contribute to what we review and discuss. Our Patreon gives the listeners the power to nominate and vote a monthly discussion and film review, while also nominating and voting on weekly solo reviews from each cast member. You also get the opportunity to vote on the publicly released anniversary film all exclusive to our Patreon, So become a patron at patreon dot com frames per second where there are two tiers you can choose from. That's Patreon dot com forward slash frames per second. All right, so we're at the point where they're communicating to I think that did a good job of showing their connectivity throughout this movie, but especially here in the early scenes, just how they were aligned it on the same page for ninety eight, I would say percent of the stuff, but the one percent is with the dude who the taller sister seeing she's seeing a guy. They talk about it after that. I think his name was Alex Alex. They talk about it after they talk about the letter. He only wants to hit her from behind, and her sister's trying to explain how this may not be a good thing for her.
Speaker 3: Did y'all like this?
Speaker 2: This is the first time we saw the differences in the two where she's showing a little bit less self worth than her sister, And I think that was a really good job and how they slid that in there.
Speaker 4: Did you like that? Ken?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I think it showed how, you know, she's kind of adjusting to the world and still finding a way too. It's weird some sort of because I don't know if it's love. I don't know what it is, but it's something for her, and she's able to get some sort of intimacy and willing to make a compromise for it based on her situation. So and again, I think it shows the complexities of like how they are having to adapt to this world and survive in a way that some people don't have to. So, yeah, I liked it, Mike, what'd you think about it?
Speaker 6: I liked it because it seemed like something that would really happen, you know, it seemed like something a motherfucker would actually do. Just like, look, I'm hit it from the back because I can't. I can't do with your face. It just sucks that she would accept that, because I'm sure, as sad as it sounds, this is probably the best the best she's gonna get right now, because people are assholes. Well I can't even say people are assholes. I mean, well, it doesn't matter. Way I did like it, I did like it.
Speaker 3: Stick out to.
Speaker 5: You, No, I definitely stuck out because I think this is the first time we see like the one sister needing, like you can say, you could tell the and Ken kind of addressed it, but just how the one needs her more than the other and the other one's trying to just kind of break break off and have some of her own because you know, you know, her situation is a little different, you know what I mean, So you know she's longing for something else, you know, like she said, like you know, everybody don't come that easy for everybody or whatever. So yeah, I thought this was a good another good moment. And like Mike said, I think it's again, it's just the realness of it all. You know, they're not shine away from how people can be assholes about about certain things. And I get where Mike was going with that. I mean, you know, everybody had their prefaces, so but but yeah, it was just real. It was just real. But and I was and even myself I was, I was just trying to think, will I get used to it by the end of the movie, Like I was thinking about that because I know people that have, you know, certain things that you you know, you start not seeing it. They don't normal they come normalized to you and you start just seeing them for deeper than the appearance, So I was wondering if that would happen in the movie for me.
Speaker 4: Do you think it did?
Speaker 1: I do you a lie?
Speaker 3: No, I'm not lying.
Speaker 1: So you at some point you just stopped noticing that she was all burnt up. I wasn't.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 5: I don't feel like I was noticing that much to the point where it's like, are they doing it less like less makeup or something like. It really started to be like I didn't see it the same way by the by the end of it, it didn't stop sticking out to you.
Speaker 1: Well, what do you mean by sticking out?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: I feel like as we was just like to see with the worker when they were worked earlier. With your first reaction, you're like, oh, ship. But throughout the movie, as I'm in there for like an hour, well that's just nature.
Speaker 6: Like what are you saying though, you're just trying to imply like you got enlightened by the end of the movie, you're just like, I see her for a person I put it, and I don't see.
Speaker 2: You're talking about tell you how like I don't think she don't look like that in real life. You can tell that's bake up obviously, But she's.
Speaker 1: Not really burnt. I had seen what she was.
Speaker 2: She like, that is you can start to see how cute she was regardless of the Oh so she wasn't cute.
Speaker 1: When she was burnt up.
Speaker 2: Initially she just hurt roding like no, no, no, I'm saying initially I couldn't see.
Speaker 3: But as the movie went on, I was like, how she actually is cute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you hit from the back to that's what she'll look at her.
Speaker 1: I was the end up it.
Speaker 5: I was like, yeah, she put the lawns around.
Speaker 1: I was like, I'm not saying, I'm just saying.
Speaker 6: There was no point in the movie where I was like, oh, I'm not noticing her burnt up.
Speaker 5: My point is just like I think that was intentional. I think they start showing her beauty in other ways. Is how how soft she was like she she was like she was, yeah, but she had this very soft side that was that was attractive.
Speaker 3: Agree, I saw that. I saw it.
Speaker 1: I agree with me. Why y'all.
Speaker 4: I'm just curious, But no, I understand, Yeah, I understand the thought process here.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know, yeah, the thought process.
Speaker 2: I think it was intentional. That's why I'm bringing it up. I think what was intentional.
Speaker 5: I think the director made an intentional like, Yo, I'm gonna show this person in this way, and by the end of it, you're not going to see her the same.
Speaker 6: Well, I think that's I don't know. I think I'm reading y'all wrong. I think that's any character. Yeah, that's exactly not his appearance, right.
Speaker 3: But that's but my point is I don't want to stay.
Speaker 6: Because you said, you got they're putting less makeup on. That's where I'm I said, to the point where I started thinking that.
Speaker 2: That's the part that I'm hating. Okay, you know for a fact that they did not know for a fact, But I'm just saying that I would assume that they didn't. But because everything else that I'm experiencing with this character in the movie, why by the end of it, I'm like, dang, it's not starting on the physical y'all started looking looking at me on the physical.
Speaker 1: I got it now. It was more when you said were they putting they putting less makeup on?
Speaker 3: I know it wasn't just saying that that's what it.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 6: I thought you were like, are they like lessening the burnt? And I was like, no, she looked just as Burt by the.
Speaker 1: End of the movie got it.
Speaker 2: So they go to see they they go to see moms, they start referring to as God. Did y'all like to hang up on the one sister saying.
Speaker 1: Movie goer, hell.
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: So they were apprehensive because their mom let them think that she was dead, never came to see them, Man, go through all these foster homes. That was a conversation that they were having before they even decided to go see it. Do we all agree that they were right? And that like, do y'all feel the same way? What woul y'all have went to go see y'all moms?
Speaker 6: I would have went to go see her and cuss he the fuck out because they were grown and mom was just gone and she wasn't clearly wasn't dead, and that was that was not necessarily a gripe.
Speaker 1: But that was one of my hang.
Speaker 6: Ups with the film, which I'm sure they did on purpose. But this woman was out of your life this whole time, and she when she calls you back, it's not to say she's sorry or anything like that. It's to use you. So I don't know, man, I mean, she was a fucking villain. Honestly, Roger, you think that what are you asking me?
Speaker 2: I'm asking you about the apprehensiveness of one of the twins to go see moms.
Speaker 4: She was.
Speaker 1: I thought Racine didn't want to go see her. I thought the right.
Speaker 2: I thought she wanted to. Thought she wanted to because she she didn't. She wasn't even in the well. She didn't title the letter her. She did title it, and that's why Racine, I felt like, mainly wanted to go. But what I'm asking you, right, is were they right to be apprehensive the sister that was apprehensive because their mom wasn't there. Did you read Fox as a feeling like Mike is saying, or just like I'm burnt up.
Speaker 3: I couldn't do nothing for y'all. The best place for y'all he was in the system.
Speaker 5: I think they did a good job here as well, like having both sides, you know, having the one Racine kind of longing longing for to meet their mother and the other one like, well, fuck her, like she she could have been came and visited us, because you know, I've sparenced that myself, Like as far as my father, my father was in my life. But I still had this longing to know who he was and to meet him. But I know people are like, man, fuck that dead be that as nigga da da da. I know people that think like that too, So I like that you saw both both sides. And again, I think they as the movie progress, as you start seeing just how different they kind of are, and I think they just gradually did that.
Speaker 1: Man, it was.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 1: It was brilliant, brilliantly done.
Speaker 5: As far as how to how they looked at her, I could see it both ways. I could see Vivocate Fox character just being like, well, you know, I ain't I didn't want y'all have to deal with kids or whatever, you know, people looking at y'all mom and thinking this thing. So I just kind of like remove myself from it. And then you know, yeah, I could I could see that. But I can also see her just wanting to use them, you know, because who else is gonna go kill the father?
Speaker 3: Knowing that story? So yeah, but.
Speaker 6: Didn't it seem like she was some kind of boss because the fact that people were, yeah.
Speaker 3: Taking care of it.
Speaker 2: That's what I was wondering, Like, was where she get money? Like to be like that will see that.
Speaker 6: That's the part that I was hung up on, and not as a detriment to the movie. I kind of like when they when movies will introduce something and not necessarily resolve it. But when they showed her, you have these two women raiding her hair, it seemed like she was in charge.
Speaker 3: But that seemed normal.
Speaker 1: Just seemed like that seemed normal. Yeah, two women bring your hair?
Speaker 2: No no, yeah, they worked for her. Yeah, it seemed like they were working for her.
Speaker 1: They weren't. They weren't just doing her hair.
Speaker 3: I never took it that way.
Speaker 1: Oh I definitely did, because like they knew the story. Yeah, that was really good. That was really good.
Speaker 6: But it seemed like she was some kind of boss. So I was like, you couldn't have got anybody else to do this.
Speaker 2: Instead, you brought in your kids that you have not seen in years, and you asked them to do this.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 5: I looked at them as care workers, like you know that that notice that not the situation.
Speaker 3: That costs money though, that's what Yeah, but that's insurance.
Speaker 6: Though insurance is not going to pay for somebody can braid your hair, not for six of them.
Speaker 3: Well, well, they'll say, assistant living assistant living care. I'm dealing with all that ship right now.
Speaker 6: Saying, but they're not to pay for somebody to do your hair. Yeah, but I know it's a movie, but it seemed it seemed different.
Speaker 5: You could be a care worker, had a braider, you know what I'm saying. Gotta know that ship, you know what I'm saying. But I mean, it's all Carre at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think she was like, man, I'm not doing this with Rod today and go ahead, can.
Speaker 1: I want you to do it? I'm reading for you today.
Speaker 4: I did get the same feeling that you Twoe got, you know, that they were beyond caregivers and in some sort of way. But uh, and I did wonder. I was like, Okay, well, is there something else going on that we don't know? But you know, I think it it was a good opportunity to kind of show the apprehension and to to create the sort of like crack between them that eventually developed in to this canyon as the movie went on, which I thought was was really good. And you know, I think she probably sent it to racing because she probably seen the same thing as in racing. Yeah. Yeah, and the dad. Like I was mentioned before, when that guy we'll.
Speaker 1: Get to that, you mean, sent the letter.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think she said why she sent the letters She said the other one was too emotional.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, oh they both said the same thing in her because she was like why she didn't address the letter to me and told her then her mom.
Speaker 4: Covernity Yeah oh yeah, yeah, so yeah, so we you know that Mays. But you know, I liked just how they were like, nah, we ain't doing that shit, Like we're not killers. What are you talking about? This is crazy? And she was using them. But I think picking them to do it gave them the proper motivation to do it, and they could sort of take being in the system as they were and use that as further fuel as the movie goes on to enhance more and more about give them more reason to do it. As they learned these sort of stories, it built up even more anger in them as well, in addition to whatever they saw that was under that blanket. So being in the system growing up that way at this point, I think after a while it's like, this is not mom's fault, this is dad's. He did this.
Speaker 2: See, I never made it there, I never made it where there was enough motivation for her to tell her daughters to go kill him like the story was dead, but to call my daughters who have aren't killers, like they don't have any history or like I feel like I'm putting them in danger more so than anything, yes, versus sending them out to go on to this revenge tour that could fulfill them. So that I never made it. That was one of my small grapes with the movies, like the motivation for them being finally like, yeah, we're gonna go kill dad and have to go on this whole mission. I had to suspend that because it's a movie, so you know, you give and take with it. But I never made it that as far as the motivation being problem.
Speaker 5: I did because I felt like they had their dad in them so they had the ability to kill yeah, or one of them did, right, which is why she was the one that was kind of gun hole about it. And then and then we kind of see it with the mom a little bit too, because what I thought was beautifully done when she was recalling the situation in black and white and the way the camera moving and that and the way they were telling that part of the story, like the tense, the intensity of uh, what's his name?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: Like all of all of that was just like so good.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 1: It was just so good.
Speaker 3: I was like, damn, man, they are killing this right now. So I felt like.
Speaker 5: The emotion behind that story felt like motivation for me, you know, because it basically ruined their lives, you know what I'm saying. They put them in all of these, uh these group homes or in all of that. So I think, you know, you start to build up some sort of rage if you're racing or whatever. So yeah, I thought that was enough. Honestly, did y'all notice when she noticed that she was pregnant she.
Speaker 4: Said something to her?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I thought that was a good note too, because mothers always kind of know what she said, so I missed her.
Speaker 1: She I don't think she said necessarily anything.
Speaker 2: She's kind of looked at her like she got like some more of her something like that, something like that. Yeah, But then they left alone. They ain't say nothing else.
Speaker 6: It's because she ran out and said, I'm gonna be sick to my stomach. And I think it's when she came back, that's when the mom said something to her. Because my mom was like, are you puking too? Like no, But I kind of agree with Rod. I do get your point though, but I think that that, to me is what made me think that Vivak a Fox was a villain. She knew that their lives were ruined, so she's like, well, this will be easy. I ain't even gotta pay these fucking kids. I don't think she gave two ships about those kids, if I'm being totally honest, I don't think she can heard about them kids at all. She used them for this mission, So I think that's that was kind of the motivation. It's like she knew that the kids had their lives and they went every day with people looking at them crazy, call them names, all that. So she's like, well, yeah, make your daddy dad. He did this to y'all especially, And I do agree also with Rob. When she was doing the retelling of the story, I was like, God, damn, it was great.
Speaker 1: That's what that's.
Speaker 4: What he did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was great. As far as how they told nothing story, Yeah, how they how they told Yeah, I don't think hopefully you never know what Reddit, but yeah, like Mike want to kill I knew it.
Speaker 1: I could tell Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: It was good the way they tell that story.
Speaker 2: So they offered the mission and the first stop they went in too pass the divine. Actually, they are killing this That's exactly what I said in my head.
Speaker 1: I was like, Bro, they're killing this movie.
Speaker 2: I think I had the same thought when we get to this point to go to the church. They talked the past, the divine and who's clearly one of the cold he's good man. She nailed it.
Speaker 1: She killed it.
Speaker 2: What'd y'all think about this whole scene? We can talk about it all as far as her having the shrine, she just left and never came back. They get more context to that, Dad, Ken, did you think they did it will here?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, I mean we see, you know, his first stop, you know, or one of his first stops. I guess it's the first stop, you know. And it painted him more as a really fucked up person by getting her pregnant and then leaving and not ever coming back. And this was where I started to kind of have the issue the issue with the movie because I'm like, because when she was like, oh, so you mean to tell me you set this thing up this whole time, waiting on the man who left you prentingant and I'm like, oh, man, so now they got the black woman looking like crazy, and I'm black men look fucked up and violent, burning women's.
Speaker 1: And kids and all this other stuff.
Speaker 4: So I'm starting to have these sort of thoughts swirling through my head. But they left as the movie went on because I'm like, Okay, I'm thinking just probably a little bit too deep about any sort of a message that they're trying to put into it, about like, you know, uh, just the violent natures of black men and the stupidity of a black woman waiting around for worthless man, you know, and then that being in a religious setting as well, you know, so all of these dependencies you have on things outside of you know whatever. But but outside of all that, you know, I think all this was good, you know, to the sun that was there and uh, and just the way the church was being ran and you know how she acting and performed. I agree with you guys. She was great. And even even to the the end where they all ran out and stole from the church and ran out and being chased. I don't know why they were running like that though, But but not all of this ship was really really good, and you really started to I like how they developed Sterling's character without.
Speaker 2: Him being on screen, without even showing his face. Yeah, yeah, you could tell that was him, but I mean you.
Speaker 1: Knew it was.
Speaker 3: They still didn't have to show his face.
Speaker 5: He's that good order and Mamia killed Bill. That's how they did Bill.
Speaker 1: She said. She said that was an influence. I mean, Tarantino got one or two decent films, ain't proven nothing.
Speaker 2: I didn't know you saw you read up on the I watched it. Dang, I've been so out of it.
Speaker 6: I can't remember if I watched the interview or just read the But yeah, she said that Kill Bill was an influenced I forgot the other film.
Speaker 5: She said that this definitely had kill Bill's mind because it's a good kill Bill is a good revenge story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so first one at least. Yeah, the other bullshit of dialogue. But but yeah, no, I don't know if I got exactly what you got.
Speaker 5: But I did get the religious aspect of like how it could be like, and we talked about this. I think off camera is just how how some some Christian communities or Christian can be. And I think this is like an extreme version of it that they I think they depicted pretty well actually, and and just how kind of insane you could look, you know what I mean, like why why you like you really think this man is coming back? Like you like, that's that's crazy, like that, that's kind of crazy.
Speaker 6: I don't say anything. I was, Yeah, I was waiting for my turn. But that's what I got from. That's what I got to was the Jesus aspect. Yeah, yeah, I didn't get the I get your point, no violence of black man. I would think that if this wasn't this was pretty much a black movie kind of.
Speaker 1: Made from folks.
Speaker 2: If it was, if it was a different story, I would kind of feel you.
Speaker 1: A little bit.
Speaker 2: I wasay, but I know I was gonna say that while you were talking.
Speaker 4: I was, I was literally gonna say, didn't make this. And that's why I was like, you know what, fuck all that. Yeah, I'm gonna go with what we got.
Speaker 6: But I did get that parallel, and I think that's more what they were leaning towards was you've been sitting here waiting for this man. He ain't shown you ship and it's like, well, yeah, but they're also in the church, which y'all are waiting for a motherfucker.
Speaker 1: I don't want to say a mouf. Oh he is a mouf.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: You've been waiting for this dude, and he ain't done shit for you neither, you know. But the whole church.
Speaker 7: Scene, that motherfucking uncot him crying Krome man, that whole scene was Maxine.
Speaker 2: I forget her name, Erica.
Speaker 4: That's.
Speaker 3: What's her name? Divine and this is Erica Alexander.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: A whole different person. Erica Divine. That's like a poor star.
Speaker 2: I said, Erica. You said Divine asking her name in the movie.
Speaker 1: No Erica, Erica.
Speaker 6: She is so good and she needs more roles because she was perfect, perfect in this.
Speaker 1: But yeah, this whole scene was so well done.
Speaker 4: I agree. Agree.
Speaker 2: I didn't get what you got either. I got more. So it's clear that someone's wrong with the kid.
Speaker 4: What kid?
Speaker 1: Her son?
Speaker 3: Clear something was wrong with him? Why because he was doing that blinking ship.
Speaker 1: I didn't see that. Always in eyes you can see I didn't know anything.
Speaker 2: Of the world. Uh so I thought that they were trying to say something about that's like them being kind.
Speaker 3: Of thrown off a little bit.
Speaker 1: I didn't catch that.
Speaker 3: I want to say that kid.
Speaker 2: But I thought that divine and her son and that was what's passed down from her, just like from Racine got passed down at rage from her dad. So I thought they were saying something there. I got a little bit of that. I didn't get that that divine was off off. Well, he said, he said that she passed. Yeah, she kind of.
Speaker 6: She seemed like a fucking regular ass, fucking black Christian, but cussing.
Speaker 1: What you eating chicken? You like that she was eating.
Speaker 2: Like that too, talking about it was something. It was something wrong with It's something wrong with her. It was something wrong with her son. I guess I've just been around too many Southern Christians. They all seem like that to me. They all seemed like that.
Speaker 5: I'm far removed from it, like I been around it, but been around it. Yeah, But I knew even then like something was off like with those with those folks, like some of those older ladies.
Speaker 3: I was just like something something right.
Speaker 2: So they showed the shrine, racing steals the address book out of this shrine for her dad, and from there they hit the throw and they head to the tongueless lawyer.
Speaker 1: Who was writing this this is so good, who so he knows.
Speaker 3: So this guy was the lawyer for sterning K. Brown's character.
Speaker 2: He got him out of the case, we learned to find out, and he admitted that he did it, even though he got acquitted for it. And so the lawyer would until he cut his tongue out. What did you think about this whole scene, Ken from the lady beating him up because he knew somebody was trying to prepare for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't know what I thought he had finished. Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I had no idea. It was just he wanted to be prepared to take the licks, but he took them from the lineage instead of him directly. But he was so afraid because he could tell that this man was just pure evil and well, I mean he got out of his tongue. So at that point you should have been like, all right, yeah, but I would snitched. At that point, he should have went back and said he admitted to doing it because he had like all that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a lawyer, but I guess, well, this dude is crazy. Why would he go snitch?
Speaker 4: Right? But still, yeah, right, I'm already dead anyway.
Speaker 2: But if you have some type of agreement with you're not supposed to ask them if you're a lawyer, because if they admitted, you're supposed to tell yes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, so he should.
Speaker 6: But I get it, is that true, not supposed to know? I'm sorry, kim, My bad, My bad, My bad. That's why Lloyd wouldn't ask you if you've done it, because they're not.
Speaker 1: But I didn't think that they had to tell.
Speaker 2: Murders you got it, if it's murdered or something like that. They can't keep that information.
Speaker 3: A lot of time they'll tell you to stop, stop there, do nothing else.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: I know because they're obligated by law, and I speaking under the ball.
Speaker 5: But what you're saying, yeah, because because even on reasonable doubt, remember she was just like, I need to know all the details if you did it or not, or something like that.
Speaker 6: I think some lawyers do that so they could frame a counter came like not a counter case, but like to figure out a way to make it seem like you're not guilty.
Speaker 4: But I also think they do stop short of admitting guilt. But yeah, but I'm not sure they're obligated. I know they're obligated to keep the information confidential.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was through with.
Speaker 4: The case, so he's no longer really the client, so maybe at that point he's a man in guilt, maybe he would have Either way, I'm restretching this out a little longer than it needs to be, but nevertheless, but no, I thought this was This was good, and you know, I think, uh, it was, you know, because I think at this point that she put the rock in the sock.
Speaker 2: That was okay, okay, oh yeah we did actually because she said she needs to be prepared for what they're going too because they heard him getting beat up.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, okay, okay, so so yeah, and I think she used it on him too, which I like that because it gives her some sort of you know, advantage that she doesn't have physically.
Speaker 1: But yeah, all this was good. I like how it did this?
Speaker 3: Could you like?
Speaker 1: I did like it.
Speaker 6: Because I again, it just feels like this is quality writing because the whole time they're like, what the fuck is going on?
Speaker 1: But it's not like what the fuck is going on?
Speaker 6: This is stupid, it's you're intrigued, because of course, I'm like, why is this woman beating the shit out of this dude?
Speaker 1: And then when you see he kind of likes it. I'm like, oh, okay, so this is like a kink thing.
Speaker 2: Then when you find that part, I it's like, just this just keeps unraveling and getting weirder and weirder and weirder. So yeah, the only thing that kind of threw me off a little bit was because even if the lawyer did want to tell, cutting out his tongue.
Speaker 6: Doesn't prevent him from write it. You can write it down, So it was more so just like a scare tactic. I'm gonna even though you may not tell, I'm going to remove your tongue. You know, if you do tell, I can make this worse for you, which, by the way, defense I just looked it up.
Speaker 1: They do not have to tell them.
Speaker 6: They're actually not supposed to because it's a violation of a attorney client privilege, which.
Speaker 1: Is insane insane to me.
Speaker 2: But I think knowing that part makes this scene even more interesting because he's removing your tongue knowing that you're not even supposed to say anything anyway. So he just probably did that shit for fun, just to prove a point, had they established for y'all. Sterling Kate Brown's characters like Evil.
Speaker 6: Absolutely the first time they showed him with his fucking gray lips, I was like, oh, no, no, no, this dude is insane, sterling Kate Brown is that good of an actor where all you got to do is show his lips And I'm like, oh, he's conveying a certain type of person right now.
Speaker 1: But nah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: This whole scene, and especially this is one of the parts where I really laughed out loud, was when she hit him with.
Speaker 2: The rock and he's like, all right, man, I'll tell you. I knew gonna take him. He's gonna take the hits. He's been training for this. It took one hit and he was like, no fun, that that was perfect.
Speaker 1: That was perfect.
Speaker 4: So and at this he also said told Raycine said you have his eyes he did so, which you know, you go back to her violently defending her sister and all these others are her agreeing to do it. So now you're looking at her as like, oh, you're a part of the lineage as well, so you would be the one to do it, and you're creating that further the vibe between the two of them. Good and evil.
Speaker 3: Agreed, right, did you like to see?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, the same reasons do you have the eyes take?
Speaker 2: I think throughout this FAMI they speak to the nature versus nurture thing because they've never been around him. However, she's picked up some of his traits. I really thought that was an interesting, like little sidebard that they had. But from they they leave the lawyer, they go on the road trip, they're doing their twin thing, get in an argument, and you hit his motivack motorcycle in the back.
Speaker 3: He does mention that there's other twins. Oh yeah, he told him about the other twins.
Speaker 2: So they mentioned the other twins intriguing, Yes, exactly, like way, yeah, it's.
Speaker 6: Like this dude, because you already knew about the one boy. So at the time I was like, Okay, is that I guess is he?
Speaker 1: Is he a twin? Or is there another cycle?
Speaker 3: What is going on? I thought it was another one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly church, but yeah, he mentioned that there are other twins. They hit the road motorcycle approaches, y'all have any idea who this is?
Speaker 1: No, not at all.
Speaker 6: I thought it might have been Randall until he got off and I was like, that's not that's not Randall's statue, That's not Randall stout trying. I can't say body type for I was trying to the right word. But yeah, I like, that's not Randall stature. I don't know who the fuck this is. Thought it was him, but that I think it was him till he I thought it was him till he got the motorbike, and I was like, oh, that's not right.
Speaker 2: I thought it was one of the other one of the twins. I thought it was there, not Rammed. I thought it was the dude from the church. Oh really, he didn't well, because you picked up that he was off. I didn't pick up that he was off. I picked up that he was off. I was thinking, like, who else could it be? It could have been anybody, right, I didn't know. I didn't think that they would introduce us to a new character that way. Oh I did, because I assumed Randall said somebody. Ye when it wasn't Randall, I was like, that's someone Randall sent.
Speaker 1: What's his name in this? In this movie?
Speaker 6: I got some calls motherfucker Randa because other are gonna be confused. Don't worry about it. Don't worry about it. I'll look it up, y'all.
Speaker 4: Go ahead.
Speaker 3: So he chases the motorcycle.
Speaker 2: They do the whole thing in that abandoned place where they are Did this work for you, Rod? Did you like the scene? Did you like how the intensity of it is, the suspense.
Speaker 5: I did like the intensity and suspense, And it was believable because you know, he was he was like they were they could have lost, like you know what I'm saying. They showed that they could have lost, like you're not gonna beat this guy, you know what I'm saying. Like so, and I just like the intensity of like when they were going around the tires and stuff, and then when she thought he was gone, she popped.
Speaker 3: Up and he was like behind her as it was dope.
Speaker 2: Like I was like, man, this is done really well and and so yeah, like and I liked because they ended up both jumping him right and so yeah, yeah, man, I thought they executed this this whole thing really well. They used a twin things when they were fighting, like to help each other.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it created another obstacle for them to as well by disabling the car and them having to go out on foot. But yeah, the whole tire scene was really good because when she got in the tire, the way she was walking around and hiding. I was like, dang, she probably just kept going. But when she got on the tire, I was like, Okay, that's smart. And when she saw walk off, was like, she can't be that stupid and come up and think that he's gone. And then she did. I was like, oh, she is that stupid because he's right there. But they do it movies a lot. But it made sense. They've never been in this situation before. And I'm with you, Rod, I liked that they showed that, you know that given the fact that they'd never been in this situation before, like they weren't gonna beat this guy either, you know, So there's they were at a disadvantage in this situation even though there were there were two of them and they had to basically outsmart him and lot of them in there. And then that was the reveal that it was. It was the the sun and we show how crazy he was and psychotic he was, and you know, willing to kill them in order to protect the dad, which you know, what does that sound like the Crusades? But either way, all this was really really dope. And now because I was like, ho, the hell he's going to get out of there and is he going to come back the rest of the film. But yeah, but how did he find them? Anyway?
Speaker 1: That was he had been trailing.
Speaker 2: I guess I was assuming did he caught up with them because you heard it in the background when she up cutting the music down.
Speaker 1: I take it back the card.
Speaker 4: She had the card, so she probably figured out where he was going to see the attorney.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, because he they stole the Little Black Book, so he would have figured out where they were going. Crazy thing. I just looked up the dude. He never had a name. His name is man. Yeah, they never actually gave me. That's why I said, we see in something else. I just ain't figured it out yet.
Speaker 1: Oh. I mean they're definitely making religious parallels parallels the whole the whole movie, you know.
Speaker 2: So now they're carless, they take I didn't like. I didn't Okay, So when they found the water and then they woke up.
Speaker 6: On the bus, I still that part. Yeah, you don't know what happened. I'm confed.
Speaker 1: I was. I was really confused about that part.
Speaker 6: And I didn't want to do like you and and go look up her vis before this.
Speaker 2: It wouldn't because there weren't any I showed. I was looking at on explanations and it was none out there. I don't know what this meant anything. This is one of my small gripes cause I was like, what the.
Speaker 4: Fun was that it just happened.
Speaker 3: It wasn't a gripe for me.
Speaker 5: I just felt like they just kind of use it as a transition as that they you know, obviously what they were saying is that, you know, they everything is going well, but it wasn't. But it was going well though, That's what I'm saying. Nothing was going well, but they made it seem like they had overcame the situation. They found water and then because she says it, and that's how they wake up going too Yeah, yeah, this is.
Speaker 6: Going too well and they wake up on the bus. So which where my thing was? Where did the illusions start?
Speaker 1: See?
Speaker 3: I can't remember the sequences.
Speaker 6: That's what I'm saying exactly exactly. So it's not it's a gripe. But it's not like it bothered me with the film. It was more so just like what the fuck was that? In that moment, I was like, damn, what happened? And that was over it quickly.
Speaker 1: I wasn't.
Speaker 6: I was waiting for them to blame it, because then I thought I was like, Okay, this whole fucking movie from here out going to be a dream sequence, which I would have been okay with, I guess, but when they don't ever go back to it by the end of the film, I was just like, Okay, I don't understand why they did that. It didn't benefit the film in any way really, so I don't get it. There has to be a reason though.
Speaker 1: It couldn't. It couldn't just be a transition.
Speaker 6: The scene before was when they they they just like yeah, right, and then they just ran off into the field, okay, And the scene is I'm pretty sure they're like running hand in hand, maybe going through the field, and then they see water, and the only reference to water is they constantly have to keep rubbing the water on their burns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I just didn't. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't get in this movie, they peel a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they kept showing them paying for some reason. I don't that's what I remember.
Speaker 1: One of them. I remember one scene, yeah, like.
Speaker 2: It was when because it just starts sticking out to me because they're usually don't show that they're movies.
Speaker 3: It's like, so I feel like they was doing it for a reason.
Speaker 1: I don't remember.
Speaker 2: So they on the bus, they wake up from the bus. How did they find the dad's house? Did I miss that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: The lawyer that got picked face and he gave it to him and he told them when they was in Okay, So from now on their head to the dance.
Speaker 1: And they told him to go get a trade and said, ladies alone, just go get you a job, to a trade and leave this in the trouble. You won't just go home.
Speaker 2: That ship was funny to get to the house and were introduced to the beautiful Victoria Money.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm, is that is that Victoria?
Speaker 1: What's the name? Who the fuck is Victoria Money's like, that's an actor, No, it's not. It's a Victoria Money too though who knows that? You know, he's not. It's the line. It was not her beautiful.
Speaker 2: She's incomparable god yeah, or.
Speaker 3: Sexual chocolate. So oh, man, we're introduced to her.
Speaker 2: We see the whole scenario that she has going on with Man's character and how he's abusing her as well. She has a better life though it looks like everything they wanted he's done something to be successful, and we introduced to the other set of twins as well.
Speaker 3: Did y'all like.
Speaker 2: Janelle Monett's story and the introduction of the new twins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I liked all of this.
Speaker 3: I like, I liked all of this.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: I knew the twins thing was probably gonna be interesting.
Speaker 5: I think when they were showing them Monette's character, you saw flashes of well, you kind of understood the hell she's probably been through being his wife, and then we already have the references of how you treated this first two. So her wanted to leave, and I think it was a I thought it was interesting how they had the person that was going through it narrating, because it was her narrating her part, right, and so yeah, she was just saying, yeah, this is just you know, you would think this is just one regular day, but this is the day that she decides to leave.
Speaker 3: So I'm just like, damn, this is this is dope or whatever.
Speaker 4: And what she's leaving by Troy, Well, I think Vivica left too, and he came back but just put a restrain order on him. Yeah yeah, yeah, but vivocals also left her twins too, you know, and you know, I think at this point we left them left, so it's still a similar situation of the mom leaving the kids.
Speaker 1: Be different circumstances, but the same results.
Speaker 4: And you know, at this point, you know, you see the twins, and the twins are of course different physically and personality wise, which late, well, yeah, I'll wait till we get there. And but she's willing to leave them behind and escape from the situation that she's in.
Speaker 1: I thought that that was her money, not his.
Speaker 4: Really, yeah, I don't know why, but I thought that that was all her situation and he was he was basically living with her.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I picked it up as he had gotten successful, as something provided this life for his other family that they never got. But they also lived through the same hell.
Speaker 4: She guy like that man, he's fine and uses woman to his benefit when they don't as serve him, then he goes find somebody else. That's what I was thinking that his character was. And uh, and that's why I thought that he just he just hit the jackpot this time, which is why he was still around, especially what he said about the kids, like the kids going to be something. So they also gave further and seen him to be around too as well, So that's what I was thinking. But we I don't know. That's just no guys like that.
Speaker 6: Y'all left out that she was peeing in that bottle and then spraying on his glasses.
Speaker 1: You didn't catch that? No, wait, did the one of y'all caught that? Oh?
Speaker 6: So that is the other side of pen. Yeah, she was peeing in a spray. How did y'all not see this?
Speaker 2: She was spring she was peeing a spray, but I remember seeing it, and then she was spraying it on his glasses.
Speaker 1: So that was her way of like getting back in him. Oh my god. And she's so bizarre, Like that's why I.
Speaker 2: Didn't even It's hilarious y'all picked up my motherfucker blanket because I missed that. But I saw her peeing in that bottle. I saw the scene, but I didn't connected.
Speaker 1: I didn't see that. I ain't connected again.
Speaker 6: This person I forget her name already, the person that wrote and directed she's killing it because this is some bizarre ship and it's like why why, Yeah, she's she's she needs to do more ship because this was this was great, but yeah, this was like what But yeah, the whole thing with Janelle Monet was so good, how saditty she was, how boogie she was. But yeah, the fact that she was also leaving her kids, I was like, what are they trying to say here?
Speaker 3: I know she was like, y'all picked the worst day.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was almost gone.
Speaker 2: I was almost in the y'all two little motherfuckers sitting in the middle of the street acting like y'all can't talk.
Speaker 4: Because she drove around.
Speaker 1: That's what I said. Think about a bougie Karen.
Speaker 6: Would a bougie Karen just drive around or would they stop and be like, get out.
Speaker 3: Of my way.
Speaker 1: I think a bougie Karen would have drive around. I don't. I think a bougie Karen would demand that you get out of.
Speaker 4: Around.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: He could have jumped up and ran in front of it, so you know how successful it would have been. But I was like, just drive around.
Speaker 6: I thought that until I thought about the character that they were trying to portray with Janelle Monet. She's not gonna just drive her car off the road and go. She's gonna be like, just get out of my way. I deserve to go this way.
Speaker 1: Just move type.
Speaker 2: That's the type of energy she was on the whole time. Yeah, they brought it out of they brought the Karen out of it. She was doing well and maintaining it at first until she spit on it.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah that was that was good. That was funny. I wouldn't have liked this.
Speaker 4: They did good.
Speaker 1: They did it really well. Is spinning.
Speaker 4: I was absolutely in love with racing by this. Yeah, she was fucking killing it.
Speaker 3: She's the whole movie.
Speaker 1: Where's she from?
Speaker 3: I feel like she's on something else.
Speaker 4: I don't no, but she was.
Speaker 6: An isle of boost and the isle of Boosters. The other the show that that Boots Riley did. Oh, I didn't really care for the.
Speaker 4: Virgo. Yeah, yeah, she was in that, but I don't remember. But she was absolutely killing it. The dialogue was perfect. All of the twin stuff that the kids say nowadays over and over again, twin twin, twin twin that, so it makes it relatable to that generation as well, so it's very current.
Speaker 1: But man, just.
Speaker 4: All of the dialogue, the ship, she was saying, bro, and then when she was like oh she was ready to square and she just started walking around. I absolutely love this fucking scene. At this point, I was like this, this is my fucking movie. Bro.
Speaker 2: She's like, y'all ghetto booge your ghetto ass. Mama didn't do it when she started going in. Yeah, that just kind of backed up the black care. Yeah, because she really tried to hold it out. So they killed her. But y'all expecting that, you'll thought that was gonna happen, right, Yeah, Yeah, that's pretty much.
Speaker 3: When she spent in her face, she did, and I thought she was still alive.
Speaker 2: The theater reaction, they kind of made it seem like she was, but no, they Yeah, they never really.
Speaker 1: I don't think they ever really said if she was still alive or dead.
Speaker 4: Never because she yeah confirmed later but when she said the only reason she was talking to me, like the only reason I'm stopping is because you know my sister or something, she said.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was like, oh, she left her alive, but that's what I'm saying. So they didn't really confirm that she's dead.
Speaker 2: Later on man asked him and they were like, well, we killed your wife, we killed your brothers, but they didn't confirm it.
Speaker 4: No, yeah, well she was she probably she was dead, and the theater reaction when she spinning her face.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like, yeah, I was like, my whole.
Speaker 3: Theater was like it was it was so fun.
Speaker 1: Trouble I did kind of this is just a me thing.
Speaker 6: I did kind of start to get annoyed a little bit that they kept doing all the good stuff off the screen. Well, I know, because you you know, I'm about that life.
Speaker 2: I like when I like when you can creatively still kind of feel it.
Speaker 1: But did a lot. They did it a lot.
Speaker 6: They did like every good kill was kind of off screen, you know, like we saw I don't know it was. Again, it's not a gripe, so Reddit, shut the fuck up. It's not a gripe. It's just, you know, I'm morbid like that. I want to notice see this ship.
Speaker 4: I thought we were going to see her face.
Speaker 2: Yeah if you you ain't got to show the rock hit, but just show her mangled up ass face. I ain't never seen Jenelle Mohen. They look mangled up. Kind of wonder what that would look like. All right, So they make it back to the house and the two twin brothers meet the two twin sisters, but they as soon that they're strippers.
Speaker 1: This threw me off too, really, yes, this threw me off. Speak what he said, he don't like strippers.
Speaker 4: Why would they assume that they're strippers? Yo?
Speaker 1: I know Rod acting like he don't see it no more.
Speaker 6: But there's no way I'm gonna be sitting at the house and a woman who has suffered multiple degrees of burns shows up and says, I'm the stripper, so and so hired.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be like, Okay, this is interesting. What's going on here? You're gonna be like, oh, okay, cool, Yeah, come on in, this is normal.
Speaker 4: And he then they didn't even say that they were stripping. They were just they assumed and they said, oh, you guys are stripping, and they just like, I bet if you think that cool, that'll get us in the house. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I did think it was interesting that that they did eventually bring up the fact that he called the other girl who what is Racine's sister's name? The other the they keep bringing up a Naya. Yes, they don't even reference Anaya being burnt up until further into the scene. So it was just interesting to this point when why how they're how and why they're doing this.
Speaker 5: I just figured that, like, because he was just like this guy dad written all over it. Why I don't know, like he probably would just do some some some.
Speaker 3: Weird shit like that is what I'm That's that's what I'm assuming.
Speaker 2: I think he was excited even he ignored the burn poet because you got strippers, Like that's the kind of personality he gave off to me.
Speaker 3: When his friend said something.
Speaker 2: He did get that personality off of me, because, like you said, he immediately jumped to them being strippers and think dad doing it for their birthday.
Speaker 3: He ain't even in the moment to be looking at her.
Speaker 2: Burn shit, right, But so he was even more excited about the very.
Speaker 4: Beginning of the movie. There was an immediate reaction to her. Everybody has a reaction when.
Speaker 6: Except this guy who doesn't give a reaction to like ten minutes.
Speaker 1: Later doesn't fit.
Speaker 2: Only when his friend said, so, I just think that that's how overly horny he was. Like he seemed like that type of person who just it don't matter.
Speaker 6: Over He seemed more like the type that would be like, okay, you can say, you gotta know he.
Speaker 1: Was an asshole. He was so no, I think there was go but I definitely let it go.
Speaker 4: I'm like, okay, y'all not going to just address this.
Speaker 6: I think they were trying to say something again, but I'm kind of with you, Spike, I don't know what the what they were trying to say in this moment. It wasn't bad because I wasn't like this is stupid, it makes no sense. It was more so like this doesn't make sense. I'm missing it. I'm missing it. There's something here that I'm not catching.
Speaker 3: I couldn't agree with you there.
Speaker 6: So Reddit helped me help me. I know, y'all figure stuff out sometimes that we don't.
Speaker 4: So you definitely established that he has a relationship, that the kids have a relationship with the dad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what you're gonna say, right, No, I don't think y'all crazy for thinking that.
Speaker 3: I get it, you know what I'm saying. But I guess I think.
Speaker 1: At this point for me, like you're just accepting everything.
Speaker 3: I was just kind of.
Speaker 5: Accepting everything one and then two, it's already been kind of said that she can get a guy, but a guy just you know what I'm saying, she got to turn around or whatever. So kind of to your point or whatever, he looking at body or whatever, like, Oh, I mean I see the potential, but you know, and then and then the part that I was saying earlier, that's me though as a viewer. This guy just met her, so he does he's not gonna have the same procession as I do.
Speaker 3: So so yeah, that's why I get what you guys are saying.
Speaker 5: It kind of was there for me, but I immediately let it go for whatever reason.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I was just letting the cook like, yeah, you know what I'm saying. I'm just like, Okay, she's gonna make this make sense. She's made everything else make sense.
Speaker 1: But she didn't.
Speaker 3: Oh really no.
Speaker 1: She never explained why.
Speaker 2: He was just like, okay, yeah, come on in and you're burnt, a no big deal, and I'm gonna discuss it until the moment where I want to bring it up and it's going to be the big scene.
Speaker 3: It's because I thought she looked good.
Speaker 5: I thought when they got dressed up and everything, and like the way they had the lighting all of that, I think they look good, which is like you just gotta turn around.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, no no no before that.
Speaker 6: But what I'm saying is I never connected why he was so quick to accept that these two are these two women are strippers, even though one of them is completely burnt up. It never even phased him, like it didn't. You didn't even see a look on his face of like the fuck. It never phased him until they came out, and then they were in the lingerie and that's when the joke started.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Maybe because he was his boys now.
Speaker 1: And theyuced him to be asked. I don't know, yeah, to wait that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't look.
Speaker 3: It is a it is a it is a slight. I could see why.
Speaker 1: It's just like right for you. It's not a gripe, That's what I'm saying. Yeah, that's that's all. I make very clear.
Speaker 6: It's not even remotely a gripe. I'm more so griped up myself because I don't get it. I think she's saying something I just didn't. I don't know what it is. Yeah, it wasn't a bad thing. It was like, I don't get it.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's like how people are into certain kinks when it comes to like strippers and stuff like uh the Claremont cl It used to be like people be crippled, And I don't think cripples right right, damn.
Speaker 4: Ship.
Speaker 3: Just know what are they called?
Speaker 1: It's the correct what correct.
Speaker 4: Ship?
Speaker 1: God man got called?
Speaker 5: Like I can't even remember that because that's the first thought I thought about with Claire.
Speaker 1: But so they but you know what I'm saying though, like it's for that part, that part.
Speaker 2: So they go, they getting the lade, they dancing, they invite their boys over. It's going down until he tells one of the twins that turn around. Yeah, he tells an He tells her to turn around.
Speaker 1: That's heartbreak. It was.
Speaker 2: It felt like they really did a great job of making you as a viewer like this hit home. Yes, Like she was I feel like she was kind of starting to feel normal because no one had mentioned it and she was there and she was she was proud, she was feeling sexy. She was in this moment doing what her sister was able to do, and these boys seemed to be enjoying it.
Speaker 3: And then boom, she's.
Speaker 6: Like the moment she felt like she was normal exactly. They killed it and that that was a powerful scene thing it was. Did it hit for you, Ken?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, it did it? Did? I mean you you know you all pretty much said like she the sense of normalcy and stuff, and how they were coming in there and dancing, and you know, I was thinking about like how they were dancing like in the Openness scene they were being fun and now you know, dancing on the.
Speaker 1: Side and do all that stuff like that.
Speaker 4: And now to get a chance to do this together with these ulterior motives, which we don't really know fully what they are, but it was enough to trigger old girl racinge and it walked her off, so it gave her the motivation she needed to commit that later on, because remember she had promised not to kill anybody at that point.
Speaker 1: She didn't mean that shit.
Speaker 4: I think she did really mean it.
Speaker 1: I don't think okay, I like, I think she didn't want her to leave. No, I think I think he's she wanted to.
Speaker 4: She wanted to mean it, but she's still her daddy and she's always have been overly protective of the system. So once he said it, and once she walked up, I was like, Oh, that's she's out the door. Yeah, it's it's a rap for him. He's dead. How she's gonna do it? And she used like his weakness against him, you know, his uh one of the seven sins Lust right or whatever is that.
Speaker 2: I think I understand now more why he didn't say anything in the beginning as we talked it out, because sex was on his mind, and he's thinking about sex, and he's thinking that he's gonna get these strippers in here, he's going to have sex with him. But as soon as somebody else sees as it, mentions it, he resources back to how everybody else looks at her, just like the guy telling her, I can have sex with you from behind, Like, so, I under you're staying your gripe, and I.
Speaker 3: Understand what you're saying.
Speaker 2: And everybody else's immediate reaction to her, like the lady at the office was like, oh, that kind of taken her back. But for him, and we see his mindset, as soon as he sees him, his mind goes straight to six versus taking her for who she is. And then when his boys say something, it's like, oh, yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 6: I don't know, man, because I think most men when they see women, their minds go to sex. That's how they value women based on their attractiveness. So I don't That still doesn't really reconcile to me, at least why he acted like that in the moment of them showing up, because I think, regardless of what they look like, his mind would be like sex, How good do they look?
Speaker 1: How fun would the sex be? That kind of thing. But again, it's still not a big deal. I'm sure it meant something.
Speaker 6: Somebody will figure it out and explain it to me at some point, but I did.
Speaker 1: Overall, I did like the scene.
Speaker 6: I don't think when Racing told Anaya that she wasn't gonna kill anymore. I think she only told her that so and I would not leave because an Ia was threatening to take off by herself. I think the whole time she was like, I'm not fucking following that, because it didn't take anything for her to kill that dude. When they got back to the spot, it didn't take ship and she was like, okay, cool, let's go. But I did like, how, oh wait, I guess we're not.
Speaker 3: There none else. Well, we're just from a dancing scene and her taking him back there.
Speaker 1: So well, I was already my brain was already moving on to the next scene.
Speaker 2: Okay, Rod, did you have anything about the dancing scene and how Anaya had to leave because he told her to.
Speaker 5: No, I think they nailed just like like we already said, like, you know, they did a good job executing this and the set up to the end result.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So did we go to the back room with ray Sin or do we go to the kitchen with Anaya?
Speaker 1: I think that was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, So let's talk about the kitchen with Anaya first. Hid She thought that with the other twins, since he was there by himself and she had found some one even more so than with Racine who could understand her. Because Racine is the loud, boisterous twins. She wanted to get to set the tone and the Naya just follows her. And she thought that this guy was the same way. Did y'all pick up on it from him at all?
Speaker 1: I thought he was the same way until it was yeah, yeah, until he wasn't.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I thought they set this up extremely well because they kept they kept setting expectations and the completely knocking them away. Like I thought she was gonna have like a real bond with this guy because she came off that way. She thought the same thing. She thought she was gonna be able to run off of him. She even considered that, did you like the kitchen seen?
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is good. This is good to set up of that one twin or whatever. Even with him asking about the scars, He's like, oh, no, I didn't mean offend. Like all of that was executed really really well. So yeah, I like how they set up the bond here because you know, it's like the parallel like with the twins, y'all already meant.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, the setup of this was great. Yeah to what we get later.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of stuff that happened in the house they had a great setup for, Like when you thought we were going one way, like Mike said, then it's like a complete left turn.
Speaker 3: Throughout the last twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Five minutes of the movie, Ken, did the kitchen scene mean anything other than no, it did work.
Speaker 4: You know, him being sort of the nerdy one, you know, him not participating in all the the shenanigans that were that were going on. So the thought did cross my mind. I was like, I'm wondering if he was not as he portrayed himself to be, But not to the point where I was defending. I was like, I said, I wonder if they're trying to, you know, put a little trick. But it was a fleeting thought not anything that lingered, but because he was just way too nerdy and it seemed but it also seen the mirror e is actually what the twins were, so it made sense for him to be that way. So again, I think, as you guys are saying, Alicia Harras did a the job of like showing and and showing that the similarities between the two.
Speaker 3: Real card and banks shout and watch bel but it reminded me of Call to.
Speaker 4: Season.
Speaker 2: I don't watch, but definitely do you think there was something behind them swapping them out, because like with the with the women, the tall one is the more meek one, the short one is the more violent one.
Speaker 1: But then they they swapped it with the men. Pretty picked that up.
Speaker 3: I didn't pick that up.
Speaker 4: I did, but I don't think deeply about why they would do that.
Speaker 1: I think there's a lot with the film that we're not here.
Speaker 3: I think we missing.
Speaker 6: Motherfucker's gonna do like think pieces on this film and it's gonna be like, oh, now.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I saw people saying that before I want to go see it, and I thought they were just doing the normal internet stuff. Sure they're gonna write about this. Oh, I think they are. I think that I watched it. I was like, yes, you know.
Speaker 3: It was crazy. I didn't even think about this.
Speaker 5: I didn't think it was that type of heady film like that, but I can see why why it would be, even from the title.
Speaker 3: As soon as they just got the.
Speaker 4: Title is the one that that guy is like, is God is What are they saying with? When I was leaving, I was like, what are they saying with the title? I said that God is is being the twins? But I'm like, okay, this is something else going.
Speaker 2: On with that the title for one for me? And as soon as they started calling their mom God, what's going on?
Speaker 4: You know? God? Man? Twins came and able you know, violent, you know, so there's there's that part of it as well.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I thought they came for a minute, but then I took that away because it didn't really match.
Speaker 4: It don't match, but you still have like, well, yeah it doesn't match, only in a violent sense, but yeah, yeah, just a violentness.
Speaker 2: So we go to the room where Racine and the other twins are dancing. Was there any moment in time that y'all think she wasn't gona get you? We knew that was like, that was no way.
Speaker 5: They didn't set this whole movie up, like she don't play about us, sister, so.
Speaker 2: We knew that was happening. She hit him with the I don't know, she chopped him in the throat, but she found something, I thought him with the rock. She hit him in with the Okay, yeah, because I think she crushes the Sophacus thought the ro.
Speaker 3: Came out of his mouth.
Speaker 1: They showed the rock.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because the whole stoning idea, which is also biblical. So I think they were just again, there's stuff that is here. I don't I just don't think we're catching all of it. But yeah, she hit him in the throat with the.
Speaker 2: Rock and he comes out, spins up blood all over his friend and house clears out. Now we have this scene to where the other brother is there. He laughs at first, but I thought he was laughing too.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is laughing, but I think it's just like that, and you know, you know how when people laughing in pain or whatever.
Speaker 5: I think that's what it was what they were showing the first. When he was laughing, I was like, oh, he's happy. He didn't like yeah, like he didn't like him he was like, yeah, I never took it that way. I took it as like how people like it laughing, Yeah, laughing in moments like that where it's like laughing to stop from crying type of thing, but just just just doing it naturally.
Speaker 1: So that's how I took it.
Speaker 3: I never talked took it as like, oh yeah, ladies did. So, apparently Jalen got this whole film.
Speaker 1: He's lying, I'm about to I'm about to. Yeah, he lying.
Speaker 2: He apparently Jaalen got what they're trying to say, and we all dumb because we don't know.
Speaker 1: He just text us to say that.
Speaker 4: Well, and maybe maybe since the twin killed another even though it was a half brother, you know, that's that's internal.
Speaker 6: Is that how they're connecting the Maybe you could be. I don't know, it could be, but it's the angry twin killing the other angry twin, so it's still it.
Speaker 4: Is not as as direct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, but I'm sure so maybe No, who knows.
Speaker 2: So he's mourning his brother. They had this whole thing. Well, they think they may be able to trust him, and he flipped the switch on the ass quick, which I loved. I was not expecting that.
Speaker 3: I mean, neither they got me. I was like, what, I didn't even got everybody?
Speaker 5: So you no expectation, did I had no clue that he was going to try to truck her ass out, no clue, ken, what'd you think about him?
Speaker 1: Switch?
Speaker 3: That's just dand I believe, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It didn't.
Speaker 4: It didn't surprise me. I had a fleeting thought, but again it didn't linger. And then it happened. I was like, oh, ship, he really is doing it. But I think that gave that made her also unpure when she killed him. Yep, so now she has blood on her hands too, because I forgot what Racine said when she, uh, after she killed Janell Moe's character. She was like God only wants blood or something like that, and I forgot what the line was. Yeah, but now the sister that went from hey, you can't kill anybody anymore killed somebody out of rage as well? Or oh well yeah yeah, I guess it was yeah, you're right either way, I go, she killed somebody, you know, now what?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: So she killed somebody, uh, but in it, Racine gets knocked out. She drags herbody under the table, and at this point in time, man starts to come home and when I tell you still in Kate Brown was as a bag man. Y'all gotta start playing with this motherfucker.
Speaker 1: It was very.
Speaker 2: It's nice though, and the pacing of how he was talking was really because you couldn't tell if he was a fucking crazy person, but he was just like calm and trying to figure through the situation.
Speaker 3: But he absolutely bodied everything he did.
Speaker 2: Once he came into here, he sees her under the table, tells her come up here, let's talk, and they start exchanging questions.
Speaker 3: What do y'all think about this scene?
Speaker 6: This solidified Sterling Cabra and mean, he was always slified for me. I've been saying anything he's in I'm watching it. I haven't seen him as a villain though until this. If you're taking out Invincible in his voice, but him as a villain, amazing.
Speaker 3: Like he'd been waiting to do this.
Speaker 2: Yes, he's medacing. I've only seen him every time I see him in something, he's Randall to me. He's the sweet, good natured Randall Peterson until this shit. Beth Dune left because Randall.
Speaker 1: Is fucked up.
Speaker 2: Hand Tail is fucked up. This whole scene was incredible. Are we talking about the whole singer just by the table?
Speaker 1: They got me.
Speaker 2: When he was telling that story and he said, oh, she grabbed you, that's why you're burnt. I was like, oh, okay, now we're getting Tye.
Speaker 1: She's a villain. They got me.
Speaker 4: He was lying.
Speaker 6: Believe I believed him full stop. I was like, Okay, he's not that evil of a person. I cannot believe he tracked me.
Speaker 3: We had no reason to believe me. No, no, he caught tongue. This motherfucker just walked in the house and made a sandwich over his gave and we didn't call the police.
Speaker 7: Wonder what happened. This nigga just went on about his day, insane because you gotta have chips. This was so good, man, Oh my god, this was so.
Speaker 1: The first thing I said.
Speaker 3: So he's gonna call the police, made the sandwich, and the sandwich.
Speaker 1: Everything good.
Speaker 2: So they're having a conversation at the table. He tells her, hey, I didn't I didn't do it, man. And he had the right twin too. He had the right twin. I'm wondering when race scene is gonna wake up too. That was like, it's just in the back.
Speaker 1: I'm like, yeah, because all he did was choker. Why she docked out like that.
Speaker 2: That pissed me off too. But they have this whole exchange back and forth. Essentially, man said, look, bro, going about your day. You could leave all of this, All of this is handled. Yeah, y'all did the thing my kids did, my wife did. He ain't gonna kill me. So just going about your business.
Speaker 1: But wait, did you notice how he was like.
Speaker 6: Like, oh, the the one he had like expectations, like he was gonna be something, but he was his twin, like his I'm sorry, his son.
Speaker 1: He was talking about a little nerdy one.
Speaker 4: I think Oh, I thought he was something about the other one.
Speaker 1: I thought he was too, or maybe he was. Maybe it was either way.
Speaker 6: What was getting me was that he was so nonchalant about them being dead, yes, but he was more so bothered about the fact that one of them was going to be successful.
Speaker 1: He was like, you killed one of my successful kids. And he was asking who did you do first? Yeah, it's like why are you asking that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he didn't care about the wife, and so I'm like, are you just running around trying to have babies to find the one that's going to be.
Speaker 1: Like it for you that you know what, I think y'all are onto something.
Speaker 6: That might be why he left Maxine because the kid was off and he wasn't going to be successful, so he was like, I'm out. He finally got this wife, these two kids, one of them at least like one was really smart and then the other one was going to be in sports or something.
Speaker 1: So he probably thought he finally did it right.
Speaker 4: Well, I thought he didn't. He leave Matt scene before the kid was born.
Speaker 1: You know, you're right, You're right. They did say pregnant.
Speaker 2: You're right, and I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but we said Nya was pregnant as well.
Speaker 1: We learned she was pretty yeah, yeah, and uh yeah he used that.
Speaker 4: But but nah, I'm man, yeah, he completely fooled the shit out of me too, because now it really explained, like not because I'm like, okay, so that's how the burn went here, and that's okay. I guess I guess I can see the mom doing that. Maybe the mom is fucked up to And while she was sitting them like all that ship.
Speaker 3: He spoke to how he fooled everybody in this movie.
Speaker 2: He got us in one so what I'm saying, That's what I'm saying, Like damn, that's like, yeah, he's so manipulative that he got us in one fucking scene. Yes, And she always just said it like he got a soft side, yes, so she already explained like but he got he got this minister side, he got the saut side, but he got a really fucked up side to like even adding to add saivacal Fox story because he was like, he came in, I didn't want to tell him to leave, and he's caressing her and kissing and then he turns.
Speaker 4: He said, just because she wouldn't let me hold and yeah, he was crying acts over just silly stupid ship, like the entitlement, the property that they think women are to them.
Speaker 2: So there's two more old ship moments. I feel like, man one is as and I won't leave and still trying to figure this out. And she gives him the rock, which great deal the moment as well, people like no good, don't do it. And then she takes the rock, have another brief conversation and he smacks the ship out.
Speaker 3: That's when and he called her like what he called him.
Speaker 1: Dog bitch, dog bitch.
Speaker 6: I was like, but you got that, like she's breeding, she's man. When he when he hit her, I was like, motherfucker got me.
Speaker 3: We made just come from.
Speaker 5: Home and everybody right that really everybody motherfucker got me. I don't nobody he didn't get.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they be I feel like they'd be lying. I expected money of y'all.
Speaker 2: Motherfucker's coming here lying and he but if you fell for that, No, I thought he was gonna live, walk out. He lied to all y'all. None of us expected him to hit the right. Oh no, this goes to Racene waking up and getting a fight. They finally finally get the better of them, which was a great fight.
Speaker 4: Where was he spiked? When that motherfucker he said, Oh that is what you want.
Speaker 1: I said, y'all, y'all, don't be slow, square up. They can't can't said do this, bro the head.
Speaker 3: This man beat these two little girls.
Speaker 1: Bro, I knew they couldn't go. And I was like, no, he can't beat that ship he did, Like I need.
Speaker 4: To see an interview because the way he did it, it was so great. It was.
Speaker 1: Work work working on the first two.
Speaker 2: Like today, started using the twin thing again, and you know, we're both tossing the rock around and did y'all like the fight scene and how that.
Speaker 1: Cho Hell yeah, it felt like when.
Speaker 6: When Bucky and Cap were fighting Iron Man and they were throwing the shield back and forth all that ship. That's how it felt to me.
Speaker 2: I was like, Okay, y'all had to use your wonder twin power because y'all can communicate without speaking, so this would make sense.
Speaker 1: Perfect, perfect, perfect scene. It was so satisfying.
Speaker 5: It was so satisfying because that needed to be satisfying with all yeah done through the whole ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they had to nail this part and they.
Speaker 4: Did, and they got the violent nature out of her too as well. You know, she had already killed somebody, but now she I don't even know if she even really understood right at the end of the day why he had to die, but she was on board, especially after slap away.
Speaker 6: She is the way he delivered that line and he said, look, you can just leave, otherwise I'm gonna have to kill you and my only grandson. I feel like Sterling k is probably the only dude that can deliver a cold line like that so perfectly.
Speaker 1: Because it didn't really sound scary. It was just a matter of fact, I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Kill you and my grandkid, so and you know I'm gonna do it because you know I'm that guy.
Speaker 1: Oh he's so good man.
Speaker 2: So we get that they finally found a way to kill him and throw him in the bathtub, and you talk about old ship moments like I think this got me.
Speaker 3: The majority of my theater, it was like, oh shit, because I thought it was over.
Speaker 1: He was yeah, me too.
Speaker 3: I thought we was gonna get there.
Speaker 2: They walk out, beat up, classic thriller, horror movie, they all scarred up, and then they gonna show the cut scene and they're gonna be happily ever after together.
Speaker 1: But no, this fuck me.
Speaker 2: This nigga grabbed her from the bathtob on fire and pulled him in there widder. Then there was conversation that I heard in my theater was like, well, she didn't stay and help her, and I thought, was she.
Speaker 1: Gonna donna burn again?
Speaker 2: So there were some expectations where I heard people saying, oh, she didn't help her, Like somebody yelled it out in my theater.
Speaker 3: So she walks outside.
Speaker 2: She stands at the morning and watch the house burned down, thinking that maybe her sister to come out what y'all think about?
Speaker 3: That was fucking brilliant to me, you know what.
Speaker 6: I thought in this moment, I was waiting for them to say that that the burnt up sister never really or the other sister never really existed. And I was like, because I've seen a bunch of movies that do that, where the violent one is not really a person, it's just a part of your personalities. I was like, I hope that's not what they're doing. It's not I don't think that's what they were doing. But I was not even remotely expecting that. I was like, Okay, they killed him, he's burnt up.
Speaker 7: Cool.
Speaker 6: When he jumped out and grabbed her, I was like, god damn it. But no, at no point did I think why didn't she stay in help? The house was burning up?
Speaker 1: What was she supposed to do?
Speaker 6: And if you have a thirty eighth degree burned, I don't even know what that looks like. If you get burned again, she would have just died.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 6: But no, I think they're being a little hard on a naye. I think an idea what she had to do by leaving, But this was a really fucking good scene.
Speaker 3: Kid, y'all like the same way grab her.
Speaker 1: I did like it.
Speaker 5: I'm still trying to process it though, because I did have the thought like, I don't know why she didn't help her, damn.
Speaker 3: But I mean, it's her sister, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: But I think they had built up to that point where she was looking for that separation, you know what I mean, like not like this, but not like this, but she was.
Speaker 3: She was starting to look for that separation. Yeah, she well, we'll get to it after this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she was free, Like you know, ray scene was kind of like, you know, far of her, sort of that that dark side, that devil is always in her, in her ear, you know, especially during this part. But but nah, I think that, uh yeah, I understand the thoughts that they had because I'm with you, Rod, I was like, oh shit, you gotta go help your sister. She's in there, or are you gonna jump in and help her? But I settled where you were, though, Mike, because there was trauma of being burned. She's in there, and I'm thinking that the reason why she didn't do it is because she was still afraid of fire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so you know it made sense for why, Yes, I thought she had to save her baby, like she I think she.
Speaker 1: I thought she was thinking more so too, did I have to save my child.
Speaker 6: And she had to save her baby, she'd have left instead fucking squaring up with you know think that.
Speaker 4: I also thought that she was just shocked as well, just like in a state of shock. And then the house she just went and went and got out. But I, man, when this happened, it completely got me. I didn't expect it because sterling Man was burnt up for all we've seen, we saw him roll over, so for him to come out there and you know, uh do to get over here sort of thing and snatch her in, I was like yo to the point Mike where I was like, this shit ain't real. And the reason why I thought that because of the damn water scene earlier.
Speaker 1: That's how I think this is fate. This is I was like her sister standing out the house.
Speaker 4: I'm like, you waiting, she's gonna be around. It's all gonna be a magic, and that ship wasn't a magic. I sat there for a minute after the move was over, like they really killed this motherfucker. I just couldn't believe it.
Speaker 6: Man, I was like, yo, and they killed her in a fucked up way because he just lied to them saying what the mother did.
Speaker 1: But then he did that.
Speaker 4: At least she apologized first, who apologized for for what she got close with that? But I just couldn't believe that. I just that's bold to really take a chance to do that, to kill a character that we've been with that has violence, violent tendencies, murderous tendencies, you know all that.
Speaker 2: And she was my favorite character, was the one that we like, like, Yeah, I loved it, and that was unintentional. Yeah, I agree they wanted you to like Anayah, but how we are I.
Speaker 1: Know was unintentional. They didn't want her to be your favorite character. No, but I guess you're right.
Speaker 6: No, But this was my only gripe with the film, and that this is another one of those gripes where I feel like there's something that I'm missing with who God is or whatever, because I don't really I'm confused as to why we never got to see them or her go back to Vivigay Fox and be like, yeah, he's dead, but because you sent me on this fucked up ass mission. Now Racine is dead. I'm still a little bit like we didn't even see a scene.
Speaker 1: Huh. I hope it's not that simple.
Speaker 4: Can't be.
Speaker 1: I mean, I hope it's not. Yes, I know that I know.
Speaker 6: And since Jalen doesn't have a mic and he's yelling off camera, what he's saying, basically saying is like the whole idea of God sending people out on missions or whatever and then people die, and then they always are like, oh why God, and God doesn't answer.
Speaker 1: I get all that, but I'm hoping it's I'm hoping it's not that simple.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just killing in the name of God, right, Yeah, But.
Speaker 2: An idea like that might only be simple to people that think about that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: It might not be simple to other folks that don't think about it. I don't think. I don't even know.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but I don't I don't know if like your regular person would view the movie in that way.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: I think that people who are used to criticizing Christianity in that way might think about that, but folks that don't may not even have that pop into their head.
Speaker 4: They just walk away, like damn, that was a good ass movie, exactly done with.
Speaker 2: Exactly because I did think that, but I was just like, I don't think it's that simple, but you're probably right. You're probably right, You're probably right. And then we get to an Aya and she's talking about her new found freedom, not being tied to the hip with her twin and she's figuring life out, about to be a mother. She seemed satisfied. That's what I got from the last scene. Anything different from you guys. She definitely seemed that way.
Speaker 5: But again, I think this whole last part of the movie, I'm still trying to process, like what are they really seeing because just like why, you know, because they had such a bond, But like I said, they did show how they were kind of, you know, growing apart as we get closer to the end. But the one sisters, Yeah, yeah, because even Racine was just like, you know, get the fuck out my way for I hurt you too, like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So you could see that the rage just started to take over her.
Speaker 5: So yeah, eventually it was gonna be maybe a toxic relationship or or at something point she probably gona end u hurting her as well, like yeah.
Speaker 4: Brother dialogue in this movie. So and when you realized she probably had to fight her system, was willing to fight the system. And the way she was walking around and you want some of this two or whatever, she said, Oh my god, I gotta watch this again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I gotta watch it. I definitely gotta see this anymore.
Speaker 1: About you knew he had to say. So the way he got up and was slow walking over here. Motherfucker was walking like he's.
Speaker 3: Randall about a guy, you might.
Speaker 2: I think the ending for me is and I had to really think of I've been thinking about it since I saw Thursday Night. I remember thinking about it is that they kind of the twins kind of represent like a whole right and with her dying, that's supposed to be a piece of her dying, like becoming the angry side angry side. So the question that y'all asking, I'm kind of lost a little bit on what y'all if you because you're admitting it, so I don't know which question, like what what does this ending mean?
Speaker 1: A lot of changed Wait, you mean about why they didn't go back to Viva k Fox.
Speaker 2: No, like you're saying like the I guess Rod, So yeah, I can think rot as as far as like it just meaning that trying to figure out the last I think the last bit of it is just saying that she's finally becoming whole because all that rage and that trauma, She's finally coming.
Speaker 1: To the grisk with it. And that's why I said in the group, I think water. I remember Sunday School.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure that water is like the personification of like cleansing and all that. So even them drinking the water at that that pieces like them on the mission to try to find some cleansing.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, water definitely represents cleansing in the Bible. That's why they're baptized in water. But are you Are you saying that to reference why there was that weird scene that kind of skipped and they were like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: And they never got cleansed because they were like it's too good to be true and it was a dream.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you never really like from like you're never really fine though, never did what the drinking from the water the whole. Yeah, but they don't want a mission to do that. They're thinking in their mind like this is going to actually bring some some wholeness.
Speaker 2: Only one of them was thinking that, though Anaya never thought that even up until the end of Naya didn't think that. It was only Racine that thought that killing their father was going to be some sort of closure.
Speaker 4: Well, maybe they were saying with that part when because it was illusion, Maybe killing the father wouldn't have given them the closure that they were seeking, and maybe that was the too good to be true far.
Speaker 2: But I guess what I'm saying is that I'm looking at with the ending that they're supposed to represent a hole. Yeah, so she's still like like in her mind, like her other side of her is still like even though the film is depicting her as a totally different person, this is supposed to be like we look at twins as one people. Yeah, yeah, so I'm thinking thebody like this other side of her is still think is wrestling with this is the way that I'm going to find cleansing. Like, so, even though we were watching them as two different people, were actually watching one person.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm overreaching. That's how I kind of started thinking about it. In the end of it.
Speaker 6: I mean maybe, but that wouldn't because that wouldn't be consistent with the other set of twins, So is it is it?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't it be good because men are.
Speaker 6: So okay, But if we're looking at if we're looking at the twins as one person and or you know, different sides of one person. We didn't really get that so much with the male twins because when the one died, the sweet one went evil.
Speaker 2: Okay, so if if if we're looking at it from your your theory, that wouldn't have happened.
Speaker 1: In a way because it's still self defense because even it wasn't at that point, he could have just left with anaya. It wasn't self defense.
Speaker 2: But I also feel like there's also an economy of like how she depicted men and women and yeah, so I think so even with the man part is like, yeah, eventually like men eventually because of just like how life is.
Speaker 1: Eventually men are like turned to become this like patriarchy turns them this way.
Speaker 6: I get all that, but I guess it doesn't really it doesn't really fit with the whole twins looked at as one person unless we're completely saying that that only is accurate if they're female.
Speaker 1: Is that what you think the movie is saying? No? And mind you. I'm saying all this as not a way of saying you're wrong. I'm saying all this as I don't get it.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm saying with men like, we have the capabilities of being both of them, but women, circumstances push us, like a lot most of us, certain things push us to be more evil than not. And so that's why he turned after whatever happened happened like that trauma response to him just now just turned him.
Speaker 6: Like, turned him evil, whereas the trauma response for the woman turned her. And that's the other side of like it just turns him into.
Speaker 4: That maybe able to not have the same reaction too when when not.
Speaker 1: Really she was gonna give into stir, she kind of was gonna give into.
Speaker 4: She turned into a murderer. When her sister was attacked, she had the same reaction as the.
Speaker 6: Her dad attective Yeah, but once once see the difference between the two sets of twins is with the boy twins, when the more evil one died, the nicer one turned evil. With the female twin, when the more rowdy, aggressive one died, she just turned into a more calm and loving person.
Speaker 8: That's why I'm saying I don't talk about when she killed the the soft to evil twin in self defense of her sister, she still ultimately ended up killing.
Speaker 6: She did, But with the boy Twin, it wasn't self defense. It was just I'm gonna kill you because.
Speaker 1: I'm mad because she just killed brother. Right.
Speaker 6: But the but the but the reasonings are different. So for the for the boy twin, he knew his brother was an asshole, and he he tried. He made it seem like he was gonna leave with Anaya, who is the quote unquote the good twin, But when it came down to it, he was going to kill her, whereas Anaya never really had that moment. She killed him completely out of self defense of her sister. Now you can stretch it and say, well, he was defending his brother because she killed his Yeah, but the brother was dead and and I had nothing to do with it. And she took him out the house of the murderer, right, she was trying to save him. He's really trying to save him.
Speaker 2: But because it's the trauma, response of him at that moment was to kill killed this person out of revenge. I'm more also out of revenge than self defense, right, I get it.
Speaker 4: But there's still somewhat similar to me, because you still have both siblings reacting violently to harm that was applied to their other sibling. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't see that way even with Anaya, not even.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the motivations were different, but the ashes were the same.
Speaker 6: But the motivations and the reasoning were completely different. Like he knew that Anaya was not the one that did it because Anaya was trying to help him, so they could have just left. If he needed to turn his anger on somebody, he could have turned it back on racing. Instead, he turned it on.
Speaker 2: A Naya who saved him and took him out the house, like he literally.
Speaker 4: Well, maybe that goes to you, saying like they he just looked at him as one of the same, like yeah, y'all walked in here and hit that. I don't give a don't I don't care that you weren't the one now did it. You're still with her, You're still part of this, so I'm gonna kill you too. Or maybe this is my way of taking something away from racing that she took away from.
Speaker 2: Me, but that I would I would lean on more. But even with this conversation, I also feel like and it's not attacking you. I think there's awesome message in as far as saying like, we give men more like leewaight on like their actions because we're trying to justify why he is stilling has some justification of doing what he did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when he really does, when he really does, he should have just took the took the escaping on.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think there's a lot here that we're just not minted, we're not getting I don't know if it's as simple as they're they're supposed to be viewed as one person, because again I don't really see that in the set of male twins.
Speaker 4: Wait, so if y'all have siblings, So if a group of twins came and killed and one of them killed your sibling, then you would go after the one that did it and not the one that didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, that would makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially if the one that didn't do it is trying to help me by saying, hey, get let's go.
Speaker 1: She's crazy, my twin is nuts. Let's go. You're telling me your sibling is crazy and saving me from them. Why would I attack then attack you? Right?
Speaker 6: That makes no sense, especially when I have every opportunity to attack the one that just it. Instead we're running because with some punks. But I'm gonna attack the one that helped me. Doesn't make anything.
Speaker 1: Even just push you away and keep running. Yeah, I don't know if I think I see it all the motherfuckers, Bro, I.
Speaker 2: Think, yeah, all right, you're right, you're right, mind coming, They appreciate it, they all ship.
Speaker 1: You're okay with that motherfucker. You just responsible. I'm taking your ass out and you're right. Hell no, you're right. Kill my goddamn brother.
Speaker 4: You should you shouldn't have helped me ship now. Hey, I got a hostage you now?
Speaker 3: Hell any other thoughts on this movie?
Speaker 2: No, everyone should go, well not everyone, but because I don't know, I don't know if white folks would get the same thing that black folks got.
Speaker 6: I know, y'all white people are gonna be mad, but I don't know. This felt like a black movie made for black folks.
Speaker 1: Reason.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I got that part. It was just well, that was one of them that was confused about the title. The title didn't really didn't really because I think it was also what Ken was referencing with the twins on each side of God. So I I the title didn't really didn't really confuse me that much. It was more so just why did we never go back to God? But what you're saying, I'll accept it. But yeah, y'all go see, y'all.
Speaker 4: Go see this movie.
Speaker 3: Man, this is I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this.
Speaker 1: One of my top movies of the year. Yeah, I think the same. Yeah, I wrote and directed.
Speaker 6: So she definitely needs more Work's like she's like another Boots Riley, but and.
Speaker 4: Now walking away with these Yeah, yes, that's the word, like racing needs more work. Facts, both of them, action, both of them really good. But yeah, that's great. All right.
Speaker 3: That's our review for is God Is. Thank you for checking out the phrase per second podcast out