Speaker 1: The Frames per Second Podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Frames per Second Podcast. Well, today we are revisiting the popular which we'll get into Film ATL about the show the movie starring Ti starring Lauren London and the host of other people you told you that have forgotten. Well, first, before I do that, let me introduce everybody this here with me. I got Mike, got Rod, and I got Ken here with me. All right, So this is a two thousand and six film. We're doing a twenty year anniversary for so I believe this is on Patreon. This is the debut directorial debut for Chris Robinson, who was a music video director prior to this. This is a coming of age story based off teenage life in the ATL. I didn't know this, but illis Austin and t bars Or the influences for this. And it also says here which I don't believe this, but it's his. The screenplay was written by Tina Gordon Chisholm from an original story by Antoine Fisher. Hmm, wait the movie the guy that the movie is about? Oh yeah, wrote the originals.
Speaker 1: I don't believe why don't you believe it? I just don't believe it will Smith had something to do with this.
Speaker 2: See t I recently said that he was really like blowing this opportunity when he first got it because he didn't he was so popular in music that he didn't think that he needed it. So he said he was showing up to set late and doing a whole host of things to get him kicked off the movie, and Chris.
Speaker 3: Robinson pulled him to the side.
Speaker 2: He told him, this may not seem like much to you, but everybody else in this movie this is a big opportunity for them because of you and the biggest name attached to it. So if I have to kick you off, the movie is probably gonna be bad for me as a director. Yeah, getting looks moving forward with Lauren London, all of those people. So he recently talked about this on the podcast and how he tried to put his best foot forward after he was so much done.
Speaker 1: Lauren London a favor. Yeah, but Will Smith was a producer. He was a producer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he I remember this through his production company Overbrooke Entertainment. Okay, mm hmm perfect.
Speaker 2: So again, the film is a coming of age tail concerning Rashad played by t I and his film debut and his high school friends and they final year of high school. Mike revisiting the movie, atl what'd you think.
Speaker 5: I can't really say I'm revisiting because I don't think I've ever sat down and watched this whole.
Speaker 1: Thing all the way on until now. At man. Huh, that's right, I'm not I'm not. Damn right.
Speaker 5: It's fine for what it is. There are some major issues, the main one being Lauren London.
Speaker 1: Oh you're gonna lie say she's not terrible? Are y'all serious? I'm the only one. She's bad, bro, she played the role. No, she did not. She's really bad. Man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, of course he's hot. Sure, that's not what I was saying. I was hoping that's what you were saying. You can't be saying she's a good actress. But you know, it's not something I would ever watch again. And I will say this. I don't know if this is a commonly known thing, but big Boy.
Speaker 1: Basically had this movie on his back.
Speaker 5: He was the only one where I was like, oh, he's killing every single student.
Speaker 1: Then, so respectful, goddamn god, damn money He'll take in the house.
Speaker 3: I'll put this belt on.
Speaker 1: I put this belt to you.
Speaker 6: There was conversation about his performance in the movie.
Speaker 3: It was when it came out people who I think it is?
Speaker 6: Yeah, which is a mean yes that people use like in group chats and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they do that.
Speaker 7: They do videos and clip from movies and ship when they talking, and he was good.
Speaker 3: What do you think about revisiting atl So I.
Speaker 1: Was agreeing with you. I was like, man, oh, yes, you can't ever tell what you Yeah, yeah, she was going back.
Speaker 4: I'm like, god, she was terrible because I always rocked that.
Speaker 7: That new ship.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. I was like, man, she was that bad.
Speaker 4: I didn't remember her being that bad when it's when it's but but I'm also with Mike, was like, it's fine, you know what I mean. I think they did a good job at mixing decent actors in with the bad ones.
Speaker 1: Who was the decent actor? I thought, Yeah, I think I was okay. Esquire was pretty good. Jason Wheeler, we knew him. He was fine.
Speaker 4: He was like good comic relief, you know, the one that plays the father. He's always the same guy. But he's a decent actor for what he does.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, no, you're talking about before it's good. He's a really good actor. What's his name, I can't remember, David?
Speaker 5: Yeah, great after him in person too, like he's cool, and tell him he wasn't good in at L to his face.
Speaker 4: No, I said he was, I said, I said, That's what I'm saying. They mixed it in with good, good actors. I think, you know, so Yeah, I think they did a good job with that. I didn't even like his brother, the little kid. I think he was fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but but yeah, it was really just new New and the twins. Yeah, the twins.
Speaker 4: They were funny, but like they you know, dialogue was trashgrash, but.
Speaker 1: Nah, you'a.
Speaker 4: Overall, I liked it a lot better when I first watched it than the second watch.
Speaker 3: I say that, Kim, what did you think about this time?
Speaker 7: I think it holds up as a moment in time, like all those songs, bro. You know, I know every damn song, I remember the moment, and you know, I think it's one of those like new Age like sort of hood classics.
Speaker 1: I think ATL holds up, bro, it's a hood at holds up bro, hood classics.
Speaker 4: It is strong. But I'm talking new age though, like not up there with what paid like baby.
Speaker 7: Yeah, like one of those new modern day or maybe it's a better word to say, like like when you know, because we all knew to ya, we all knew big boy. You know, it's a very common story that we all knew. I don't think we've had I think about it. Have we gotten the movie as good as this sense that time?
Speaker 3: I think Peydon fod came out after this.
Speaker 1: He came out after this is O six.
Speaker 2: Paindif peyton food came out of nine? I believe really that problem, I don't think so. I remember it came out like around my time my daughter was born. I was like, oh two two, But what else has really dropped since that? I get paying Okay, yeah, this was a moment. I agree with you about it being a moment in time. I did remember as I looked at it. I remember I remember this being cool. However, I'm conflicted about it, and I think it could be one of those hood it would I think it would be mentioned with it more favorably if there was a little bit more grit to it.
Speaker 3: I think this was too like childish.
Speaker 1: Hm hmm.
Speaker 2: If I was expecting at l you're telling me to be dark, it didn't even have to be dark, just a little bit grittier. I didn't even think that the Big Boy and you.
Speaker 1: Said it was too safe. Yeah, it was very very safe.
Speaker 4: Why can't black folks have That's what I'm thinking. A nice was at l like Ahl had his dark spots. But for the most part, a lot of dudes like they like to skate, they like to dance.
Speaker 1: It wasn't wrong with no. I just Jesus, I feel like it be taking.
Speaker 3: It would be taken more seriously if it did have more grit.
Speaker 1: I would say I think it was taken seriously. I don't know people like a cl Man. Yeah, I think ATL had definitely was it back then?
Speaker 2: It was, but you see how you had to use context and say it wasn't boys in the hood of minutes in society.
Speaker 7: And that's why I said modern day though, like every generation evolved and tell different sort of stories, and I think we probably got tired of motherfuckers done in movies.
Speaker 2: Nobody had to die. I liked the movie. It reminded me of my high school. I remember being like that, but I wasn't a senior. That was one thing about it, too, Like I remember being like that maybe the ninth and tenth grade. So I felt like they acted kind of under the age whatever, maybe with the age, But I wasn't mad at.
Speaker 1: It, because what grit do you want them? Do you think.
Speaker 2: I could have spent more time with and kind of work through that process of like him discovering he didn't need to do that. I could have spent more time with t I in the cleaning business and in that sense of like how you made the money and it was telling him like, bro, you don't got.
Speaker 1: To do that to have bank rolls. Yeah, but he did take him three years. But yeah, and no one wants to watch three years of t I cleaning off.
Speaker 7: Do you remember when do y'all remember when that was the thing, those cleaning businesses, getting cleaning business?
Speaker 1: That was a band. Yeah, like, man, can contracts? Get you some contracts? Yeah? Yeah, still do it? Yeah? Man? Yeah, that was that was that ship was dope. Uh. So we meet yeah, yeah, and Ben Machines.
Speaker 2: We meet Rishard and his little brother and aunt that's staying with the uncle George because their dad has died. Excuse me, the mom and dad died in a car accident. What did you guys think about the living situation, Uncle George everything when you first met them.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to see if that's a relatable thing. What's that like, living with like an uncle kind of taking in the kids, i' know, us taking in an uncle, like I don't know, know any situations about uncle like yeah, well if you know, I've seen that, though I couldn't, I couldn't relate to that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it just seemed too far off base.
Speaker 7: I think it made sense, and I think he explained it well when he was talking about like you could have been in a foster you know, home, and I took you basically put my life on hold for yah, I got it, you know, And I think, yeah, I mean well, maybe to answer your question right in terms of like being relatable, I think most of the time they go with the grandparents, And yeah, at least when I was growing up, So I don't know if that changed over.
Speaker 1: Time, but I've seen the I uncle Dan.
Speaker 2: And to ask your pointing about the grittiness, that could have been something too, because a lot of that was just explored through conversation.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't mind having more of the uncle's stuff.
Speaker 1: I thought you about saying I wanted to see them the parents die.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no no, just like like the uncle said, like I put my life on hold for y'all. It ain't uh, I'm waiting around for y'all to grow up. Like I literally had to stop what I'm doing to come take care of y'all. So the state wouldn't take y'all. Like they could explore that a little bit more. Maybe that would have gave.
Speaker 1: Me some grit.
Speaker 2: But it didn't have to be killed or anything. I just wanted to see something like that. But what how'd you feel about the cast rod Esquire or uncle or brother.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought they did. It was good casting in my opinion.
Speaker 4: It seemed like homeboys, and you got the homeboy that's usually older and han't hadn't got out of high school yet, just joking around, clowning, and then like in some cases you might have somebody from New York and your crew that moved from from from a different area.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I thought that was very accurate. I did. I did.
Speaker 4: Like it was just weird seeing TI in that like at first, so I do get you on that because I was used to seeing TI as hardcore dude, but he was just a dude that, you know, rolled around on skates like you know, I don't know, it was just it was it was a little different to see him around that time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: I think the casts worked well. Honestly, I think they it seemed like they had really good chemistry.
Speaker 1: Together, you know, rewatching it Mike, she came wa wah. Yeah.
Speaker 6: So uh yeah, So all that was that was I forgot.
Speaker 7: I forgot like you had Brooklyn because there's always a guy from out of out of state, out of town somewhere. You have the really smart go Esquire because you had cousins that came like California and ship like yeah yea, so it was relatable to a degree. And then you had a uh that was Jason Weaver. Y'all remember Jason Weaver.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: He most famously known for the Lion King, right well, Lion King, and he played Mike. I think he played young Mike, an American.
Speaker 1: He was on a sitcom, that's what.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he was on the sitcom to yeah, I think he was in the sitcom. But he had like one or two albums. He had one album out that had like, uh, I know that a song called I Can't Stand the Pain and some love of ambition. But it wasn't like he was supposed to be like the next big like star.
Speaker 1: He was supposed to be Nick Cannon something like that.
Speaker 2: I guess because he was a drum line too, right, I think so. Yeah, he played in a popular sitcom, Smart Guy.
Speaker 1: That's it. Yep, that's it. No, I like I like him. I'm a him in person too. Was just a smart guy. Was a smart guy.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: I don't even Wow, that was really bad. I like him.
Speaker 2: I like him, all right, So we see the t I is not really he didn't come off as his character shot. I don't really come off as motivated. He's just working to get through high school.
Speaker 1: Get by.
Speaker 2: What they're really interested in is winning the skate championship. Did the skating aspect of it worked for y'all that that was such a priority and a big deal.
Speaker 4: Because I know, I know Atlanta, and I know Cascade is very popular here.
Speaker 1: So oh yeah, that definitely worked for me. It hit the skate hit for you. No, I didn't care about the skating at all. Uh, it might have.
Speaker 5: It might have meant more if they brought it home, but they didn't really bring it home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they bought the art stuff home or so.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they made it seem like he was really into the art. And then they didn't really focus much on the actual competition thing where they would like to have the skate competitions.
Speaker 1: So I didn't really care about that.
Speaker 4: I think it was just an opportunity to give that culture, skating culture or shine because I think it was a real cruise out of Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they didn't even focus on them.
Speaker 5: We never even really had any kind of scenes with the other skate crews. It was like they just mentioned them, you know, they.
Speaker 4: Showed their moments, they had their moments. It was just like they got see how they bounced in or whatever.
Speaker 1: They right, But there was no interaction between the two crews.
Speaker 4: No, no, I feel you on that part. But yeah, I think it was just an opportunity just to show them.
Speaker 1: Did you like the skating King, Yeah, I mean I think it was.
Speaker 7: Yeah, what Rod said kind of captured and reflected the times that that Cascade shit and that skate ship was was the thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Now do I buy t I out there skating?
Speaker 1: Absolutely?
Speaker 7: No, we didn't even see I always saw his shoulders every time he was supposed to be skating. Bro Any face of t I on the skate.
Speaker 1: You don't think I can skate? Not like that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I would take t I skating the same way I don't take ice cube playing basketball.
Speaker 1: And today it was a good day. It just doesn't it doesn't fit. Oh.
Speaker 4: No, I think at dudes be skating because I know you know that, but T I don't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because uh, Jermaine du Prix. Yeah, I can see Jermaine pre skating. Yeah he's small, he's low to the ground. That makes sense, I mean.
Speaker 1: Short, yeah, yeah, yeah, that the same size as Jamaine.
Speaker 2: No, really, and just think about it. Your guy like this. No, I hated this when it came out because he was my guy.
Speaker 3: It was too like.
Speaker 2: I appreciated it now more watching it this time. Probably that I do when when the first came and I hated this, I don't think you have buyers because of that. I hated it because I wanted I wanted it to be like.
Speaker 3: What you say.
Speaker 1: It probably made ILL look too goofy for him, so you wanted.
Speaker 3: To I wanted to be like Minutes in Society and Boys in the Hood or.
Speaker 1: Something like that. Well, motherfuckers to die.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to grit pistol on the side.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you guys knew this, but a C is for honors classes. Like the teacher said in the movie, she told the kid.
Speaker 1: The only one.
Speaker 3: He told us, so you did.
Speaker 1: That was funny.
Speaker 3: That's what I was leading up to it.
Speaker 2: Then we see and and we see that he he wants to strive for more than what t I does. It seems like whether that be selling drugs or just not being happy with his current state. Did y'all like the Little brother's character, y'all like the position that they put him in as far as being the gritty side of this movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that was familiar for me.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that that made sense, even the uncle not having an issue with it per se, Like, well, I mean, you know, I won't hurt for him to bringing a little money. He's gonna do what he gonna do regardless. That's why I like Snowfall so much. But so yeah, that that was very relatable.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And I like how they used it, you know, as almost like a counterbalance to the other part of the movie, you know, with Esquire and him going a different path. So I thought it was good showing both sides of this story.
Speaker 4: I like that too, and that's what I'm saying. It was real, real well rounded friend group. It was since you got those type of friends, really smart friend when they're gonna kind of go towards the streets, like yeah, they did a good job with that.
Speaker 7: You can get caught up in that stuff, bro, Like it happened just like that and you don't know it because you see that lifestyle and see what they rolling.
Speaker 1: On and stuff like that, you want and you want it. Yeah, yeah, and so yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 5: I literally have a friend named Brooklyn and we call him Brooklyn because he's from New York.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: He was talking like that, son, Yo, did y'all like New York atl slang conversation?
Speaker 5: It was funny. It was funny especially I'm sure it was. It hit hard for the time facts, So yeah, it was funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I feel like they could have did it.
Speaker 4: I feel like they could have took it there with the shot of this, shot of that, because that when I first moved here, that.
Speaker 1: Ship was like, oh yeah, I was like, what are y'all saying? It was a lot everybody, God damn.
Speaker 8: About to go got down to the store like that with the dude that was Ashley Larry Right, what's the name Chappelle show?
Speaker 7: Donald was I don't understand the thing you saying. Yeah, I think that m I think so.
Speaker 1: Look like him. He looked kind of chubby. Maybe it was him. That's funny.
Speaker 2: I know this bone Crusher, Killer Mike and Monica's cameos and gip.
Speaker 1: At the end, I forgot killing Mike. Where was killing Mike?
Speaker 2: When big Boy went to go feed the dogs with the killer Mike was standing on the porch tilling them up because dude was trying to tell him to eat salads and ship He's like Nigga burgers.
Speaker 1: I didn't see that.
Speaker 9: You would love to have more content from frames per second. Become a patron where you can contribute to what we review and discuss. Our Patreon gives the listeners the power to nominate and vote a monthly discussion and film review, while also nominating and voting on weekly solo reviews from each cast member. You also get the opportunity to vote on the publicly released anniversary film, all exclusive to our Patreon. So become a patron at patreon dot com. Frames per second, where there are two tears you can choose from that's patreon dot com forward slash frames per second.
Speaker 2: So y'all lived to this. In the beginning of a little bit, we'll talk about the rest of the cast. What y'all think about New New as the leading lady.
Speaker 1: Not everybody at once. I get it.
Speaker 5: She's fine, fun as hell, but she's not a good actress first role, first and last per stuff that makes sense, not like a real movie.
Speaker 4: And she was the one on White People and one of y'all don't like. But I like with you on the Hill. It was a Netflix movie.
Speaker 1: With white people that I like. She was dating.
Speaker 4: The movie was called White People. It was Eddie Murphy. Eddie Murphy was her father, and she was Dayton Jones Hill. She was dating Jon the Hill.
Speaker 5: So she got better then, Yeah, she got better, not much, but but yeah, but y'all didn't like it.
Speaker 1: Though I don't even remember in the movie. I remember her. Yeah, she was better in it. I thought she was fine in it. She's fine and everything. I mean. I thought she was, you know, fine actress, you know what I mean? Did y'all?
Speaker 2: So, did y'all like the dynamic the New New brought as far as being t i's love interest being mysterious. When y'all were first watching it, I know your first time Mike watching it, Like, did you see what it was leading up to?
Speaker 5: No, it went led up to that. That's when this movie completely fell apart from me. I was like, this is fucking stupid. This is stupid. This is why he's mad.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 5: I was irritated, and I was like, I can I believe this is a fucking classic.
Speaker 2: This is dumb. That was my initial thoughts when I watched it too. That was one of the reasons I didn't like it. When I watched it, I had to get over it. I was like, Bro, that don't make sense. They needed more motive. Yes, it definitely needed more reason for him to be that upset. Bro, Come on, but I guess he felt like she was lying to him what he was who cares?
Speaker 1: Let it go? She likes you. You got mon, man, what's up? Let's stay around, let's go the are we talking about? Be your man? Forever?
Speaker 5: Would be taking about marriage? Yeah, that didn't make any sense. What did you think about to reveal the acting?
Speaker 1: Anything?
Speaker 6: Not much of anything. It's just love interest, you know.
Speaker 7: I don't put too much stock into a movie like this, into stuff like that, especially two thousand and six. Yeah, this this seemed like something basic enough for people kind of following and get so, and they really didn't go anywhere with it outside of the selling out thing that they were trying to allude to, and Esquire basically kind of going along with that, like they were talking about, you know, his soul situation. So yeah, they ain'tna do much with it, you know, And I think they could have, but they ain't.
Speaker 1: Trying to write that type of movie.
Speaker 3: So you talked about Esquire his situation.
Speaker 2: John Garnett was a billionaire, famous philanthropist or whatever it may be, a character in this movie, and Esquire wants his approval, wants him to write him a letter. He goes out there, he finds out who knew who is y'all think he should have told his friend.
Speaker 5: I mean, now, yeah, because of the way t I reacted, But in the time, I was just like, who fucking cares? And I just even the dad when he's just like, I'm gonna tell my daddy if.
Speaker 1: You tell him that I'm from here. So I don't tell you daddy.
Speaker 5: Recommendation though I know, but I didn't really understand what the big deal was. Why was it a big deal where he was from. Why couldn't he lead with that, like, yeah, I live down here, sir, but I am trying to get out. I'm trying to get a better life. It's just the way everyone was acting in this movie was just like, what the fuck?
Speaker 1: What is happening here? I don't understand there could be perception.
Speaker 2: Well, I think he hit on it a little bit, but they didn't do a good job. But when he when he found out that where ed Squire was from, and he thought that he had an arterial motive just to use him, that he didn't really look up to him, that he didn't really appreciate what he had done as a business man. You just want to use me because I'm up, don't. I agree with him. It's stupid, but I think that's what they were leading into, been.
Speaker 5: Like, yo, I look up to you because you got out of this area.
Speaker 1: He didn't really.
Speaker 5: Okay, But even if he didn't realize, you're right, if he just said, look, I look up to you because you make me want to aspire to be better, want to get out of this area and do better things.
Speaker 1: So yeah, man, if you could.
Speaker 5: Write this letter for me so I can go to this school, that would be amazing. I still understand the whole like I'm hide and run from because it didn't. I don't remember him saying the Keith David character. I don't remember him saying anything when they first met that made it make sense that he would hide where he's from.
Speaker 1: He did what he said.
Speaker 7: Yeah, when they first met, he was like, Uh, you're not from a Skeenicsville, are you? And he was like, no, sir, I'm not from that, you know, something like that.
Speaker 1: So he looked down.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so he did, which you know, I think was interesting because he was from that as well. So again they really didn't have the conversation about that whole thing.
Speaker 1: It really was Now I got to.
Speaker 7: Put a lot into kind of the things that they were trying to say in terms of, of course the obvious selling out but you know, and not owning who you were. And Esquire was walking along that same path, you know, not being honest about who he was. He didn't realized that until it came down to New New but he was being fake too, you know, and it took Tiya to call him out.
Speaker 1: Now, why Tia was mad at him.
Speaker 7: It didn't make sense, like, why are you men because he didn't tell you that this girl was from you know, this privileged background in place, and you should be happy one that he's trying to.
Speaker 1: Make it out.
Speaker 2: Your man is supposed to tell you though, that's your friend. He's supposed to tell you.
Speaker 1: I guess, but you know.
Speaker 7: And then the whole thing they were saying, Yeah, he goes to these clubs, and you know, he rips off these white folks and he's pret again being somebody that he really isn't. You also saw that with Ant's character trying to be somebody he isn't as well. And that's really kind of this whole thing because New New was doing the same thing whatever. And then you have a and this is where I thought they really could have did something because when they were in the club, in the club, which is a different club like the White Folks Club, when they first introduced John Garnett and he was like, yeah, about six quarters in the black and he's talking all kind of that's John David's voice, but he's talking that way Keith David. And then you saw them zoom in and focus on the picture. They had the Confederate flag on it, And here's this guy that's from this place, that went to this club that is rooted in the Confederacy and racism and all the other.
Speaker 1: Stuff, till he not being himself either.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's basically what it's cross at some point. Yeah, so that you kind of lost yourself.
Speaker 7: Yeah, like you're you're more concerned about making it out that you're willing to be among white people that don't even really fuck with you.
Speaker 1: It's the whole forgetting what you came from. Ye.
Speaker 2: So you mentioned at let's jump into this storyline a little bit. He's infatuated with fast money. It seems like wants to do something different from what his brother does. See his homeboy at the pool, lose aut his money in the pool, asking where you get it from? Here, introduce his and to his cousin, which is played by Big Boy. What did y'all think about this whole storyline from top to bottom in the sense of answer progression, him getting in trouble and then did he learn his lesson?
Speaker 4: Did did the guy that he called a narc? Did he sneaks read him out?
Speaker 1: Is that what he did? Okay?
Speaker 4: I never lose that's why he kept asking, kept pressing him in as soon as he actually accept okay, what.
Speaker 3: You need because he was trying to get back Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Very next scene the dogs show up, right.
Speaker 7: I do agree they could have done a lot more with this, and maybe they didn't want to go him into society boys in the hood sort of route, but just show that good kids that are smart can get caught up in this in this world and chasing fast money because he didn't like how he was making money. And but I'm kind of glad they didn't kind of do the hole uh that they didn't go there, and they kept a little bit more light, you know, just him chasing it. But I think it did give us some of the best moments with Big Boy, especially when he went to the dog scene and stuff like you're not scared of dogs. I was like, boo, why are you almost with you whatever? He said, I'm already losing money with you.
Speaker 1: You put on the ground and he used in the boom.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but but nah, I think they they could have done more with him, but.
Speaker 6: And I felt like there was a missed opportunity there.
Speaker 5: Mike, would you think about Aunt's storyline? I only cared about ant storyline because it gave him more big Boy.
Speaker 1: I didn't care. I didn't care about Aunt at all. Ant was fucking annoying.
Speaker 5: I get that he didn't like doing the cleaning business, but I didn't really get a lot of character development from Ant. So I just didn't care. And did he learn his lesson not. I mean, that's another issue I have with the movie. If we're talking about the overall arc of Ant. The ending was all the ending was trash garbage. They rushed the ending so bad. You shot him and the next thing you know, everything is fine. It's like what and then you just wrap everything up with well, two years later.
Speaker 1: I'm drawing comics and so and so went to school, Like what come on? Man?
Speaker 2: It did seem like some lost footage is somewhere like, yeah.
Speaker 1: The Big Boy go to jail because he's Yeah.
Speaker 6: I was like, bro, we don't know what happened to him.
Speaker 4: Oh no, me.
Speaker 1: Shooting tapping a long time in the hood and they don't go to jail.
Speaker 6: I know, I know, I was just saying, but the movie never gave us anything through it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was able to suspend that because, like I said, I'm familiar with that story of a kid seeing somebody else with something want to get into it and they end up dropping out.
Speaker 1: Of school and all that type of shit.
Speaker 4: I do agree that they probably could have spent more time on that, but yeah, they just didn't have that mon time.
Speaker 1: That's a whole nother storyline. They would have much into it. This could have been another ten minutes. Yeah, it is true. It's just weird that he shot him.
Speaker 7: He's in the hospital and they tried to be slick with it, trying to make it seem like it was It was like he was dying and then maybe it was Tia they got shot, so try to get a look cute with it with aing new new run up in there and ship like that.
Speaker 1: Like wow, that's not even your fucking like, it's not even.
Speaker 4: Why the homeboy called anyway, Yeah, like what what the fuck? Tia didn't get shot? I mean it was it was the brother that you don't even really fucking know't like that. It' supposed to be misdirection, but like, you know, she was trying to be there in the time of grief, but his brother got shot.
Speaker 5: But I don't think we were questioning what not we I don't think I was questioning while she was there.
Speaker 1: I was more so like why did buddy call her? To begin with? Why didn'ty or did he did? He his friend called her because they ain't even made up.
Speaker 3: He was still mad at it. He was still mad at you.
Speaker 1: So what are we doing with this?
Speaker 7: Like I'm still saying to not say anything about what happened with Big boy.
Speaker 1: That's weird.
Speaker 6: It's just yeah, it felt weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at the very least, I feel like they could show showed him conducting business as usual, right, At the very least, they could have did that.
Speaker 1: They just acted like nothing happened.
Speaker 3: Because his cousin, Right, he beat up his cousin.
Speaker 4: Tell you my mama, Tell my mama. The one thing, right, the one thing t I pushing away the gun in his face. What happened now what he's saying when he's fighting them? Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, pushed him at the gun.
Speaker 1: And he pushed away the gun him. Oh that was ridiculous. Yeah, And then they fought, and then nobody.
Speaker 4: Nobody shot and watching a t R right, and then like who was trying to make it seem like TI I was tough?
Speaker 3: You know who that's about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was kind of weird. You little skinny get out of here.
Speaker 3: Like that's cool about what, don't get it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It's like he tapped into the bro just a character like but that's about me, Pottner.
Speaker 7: Or that he left that lifestyle. But we never really got any sort of story about that he was part of that from his uncle or anybody.
Speaker 2: See, that would have been you asked me about grit. That would have been good too. I don't know if we had the time to do that, but they had showed us a little backstory on t I maybe trying that and not and then that's why he's so adamant about his little brother not doing it like that.
Speaker 1: That would have been really good. I think they were.
Speaker 4: We were supposed to assume that maybe he was streeting and he had. He was trying to look up for his brother, like you know, wanting them want his brother to follow in that past.
Speaker 1: So he left it alone or something.
Speaker 3: I never got straight from him other than that moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that was the only moment.
Speaker 4: Well, he was in a car with big boy Yatt all that ship. I think that's what we talking about. That's two different ones. That like, it was one when he when he when he pulled when he was dropping them off at the house.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm talking about. When he dropped a beat on the window. He was like, you better ask about me, partner, you know who I am.
Speaker 5: That was the first time somebody else what you're reaching for? You know what what you're reading, buddy. You know high school kids. Man get shut out a little bit. Bro.
Speaker 1: He was so just suspended. Bro.
Speaker 6: And they about the same height.
Speaker 1: It's hilarious.
Speaker 3: And t I did the little story for them work. I like the BlackBerry.
Speaker 2: My last scene, Uh, let me know came on let me know in the car.
Speaker 1: Yeah did you like that?
Speaker 3: I did?
Speaker 1: I guess my thought turned out that's my out. That was real bad like I thought. They kneeled.
Speaker 4: It was better because it was less acting in that one, less talking in that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one, that one was better. Yeah. Did you like a kid? No? That was it was bad man. Yeah, he liked it like that.
Speaker 3: Now he's talking about acting.
Speaker 5: Oh no, I meant like, no, she's like she's bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the.
Speaker 7: Traditional since that's not really her that she would be over over doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a line about Donald Trump. Did you see the line about that? Was so weird and I never noticed that. I don't know what it means either.
Speaker 1: I didn't. I couldn't tell either. Rounded like three times, even couple.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to remember what he said. He was like, I ain't dying Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, yeah, he was like so she was like I don't know you, because she did want him to drop him off and she was like I don't know you.
Speaker 3: And he was like, I ain't know Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't get it, especially around that time. Six Yeah, that was that was probably still when Donald Trump was kind of cool with.
Speaker 5: Rappers, right, yeah, yeah, but but I don't get the context follow.
Speaker 3: Her home or something like that. Maybe they knew something we didn't that.
Speaker 1: Way yeah right, maybe way back then then they did.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we got the big brother storyline, we got the little brother.
Speaker 1: Really ain't I was missing the scene. I don't know. I saw it online. This is why I said I'll get rid of streaming.
Speaker 4: But yeah, when he snatched the change, y'all have that scene.
Speaker 1: I didn't have that scene.
Speaker 5: I just want you to say, you forgive me my necklace, give me my.
Speaker 1: Neck mad Man. Yeah whatever I watched it on. I didn't. Yeah, I didn't have that like to beers. I don't know why they would cut it out either. It wasn't too that was.
Speaker 5: It wasn't was it was on something free for sure because I didn't pay for it.
Speaker 1: Really absolutely not streaming net work.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was on something unless I watched it Goku, but I don't think I did.
Speaker 1: And I looked high and low for a film. I didn't watch it on Goku. I looked for free. It wouldn't know.
Speaker 3: I went the Amazon, I went to HBO, I went to Paramount, I went to.
Speaker 1: Everyone to Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was almost texted. John said, can we just wait? I found it on something else. I think it might have been on Pluto.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, No Pluto ain't free though, yeah free gotcha flo p h I it wasn't on Yeah, all right? So at l any other thoughts about this movie.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think what else happened?
Speaker 4: I know, get the wordline of the Brooklyn dude he couldn't keep a job or he didn't want to keep a.
Speaker 1: Job and became a man.
Speaker 3: Do they get some Cuddy last night scene?
Speaker 1: Still?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's an iconic scene. That what somebody didn't get no cutting? Yeah, that was always iconic to me.
Speaker 3: I like the comedic relief from the uncle. He did a really good yo.
Speaker 1: Yeah you didn't. I liked him.
Speaker 3: I thought he did a good job.
Speaker 1: From Forrest Gun that's church good church man. That was the most unbelievable in this whole movie.
Speaker 5: On that bike like that, he was man, Hell no, that motherucker with a tip I don't given with. Nobody said. I was like, she's nice, she's nice. Yeah, she was probably very nice. But they turned that corner a little too easy for me to believe. The tweens the mama, the mama was funny.
Speaker 1: Oh she cuts him. Yeah, that was still.
Speaker 6: You weren't crying when you stolen or something like that.
Speaker 5: That was kind of that was realistic ship exactly, the good love a party, bring your ass.
Speaker 4: Down here had to get out the back of the uh the station doors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now that we're talking about it to an ended, I feel like it would have been a better payoff had something happened with the skating. I ain't like them the flashes at the end and then explaining it.
Speaker 1: They could have just ended the.
Speaker 6: Way and They didn't say, yeah, we didn't even win the skate competition.
Speaker 1: They didn't even get why do you even include a competition? Then just be like, hey, we go down here every once in a while we go skate skating.
Speaker 5: Because even the whole like the part where they all fell and fucking t I jumped over.
Speaker 1: Him and slow there was like come over there. They really was selling to y'all.
Speaker 5: BRO was like, that's why I thought t I wrote it, because he was like the most flawless character in the whole movie.
Speaker 6: This food jumped over them foods.
Speaker 1: I was like, what the hell? Yeah, this was weird. I was like, that's unbelievable. Yeah, I'm good on this one, y'all. Not a classic to you, wouldn't.
Speaker 5: I mean, I can't take away it being a classic or not, but I would never watch this again.
Speaker 1: This is not Do you.
Speaker 3: Think it's better than Baby Boy?
Speaker 5: I think I'd rather watch Baby Boy because the baby was at least funnier.
Speaker 1: The dialogue in this was.
Speaker 6: Just too too bad, and baby Boy is more oaked.
Speaker 7: This does have some like pretty teen college sort of.
Speaker 5: Yeah thing to it, and I didn't like. I just didn't like the humor in this it was just like, this is stupid. The star six nine of them. Girl, I ain't know how, but that's not funny.
Speaker 3: Did it get the essence of Atlanta? Like, do you think it did?
Speaker 1: Give?
Speaker 6: Yes, Big Yip was in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, it was definitely Atlanta, man. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And the funny the funny thing is like they're right down the roof of my house.
Speaker 2: You got a lot of familiar places. I like the cinematography of it was good. I think that like catching them old Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was really surprised that it was this decent.
Speaker 4: Like when when I heard about it, I was like I was, I was surprised, but I was like, Okay, what's actually.
Speaker 1: Pretty all right?
Speaker 5: But this kind of hurts the whole that's Atlanta ship because they technically weren't really in Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Atlanta, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Like they were in Mechanicsville, they were in Panthersville, they were in East Point.
Speaker 1: That's not all that was Atlanta. I always thought it was Atlanta until the song. No.
Speaker 4: I thought everything in the middle of Inside twenty five was Atlanta?
Speaker 1: Is that what she said? That's what she said?
Speaker 4: I thought, like the Douglasville and Clayton Counties and all that isn't like clay Cold all that that's not Alanta.
Speaker 3: She's only referring to like Metro.
Speaker 1: That's what I thought. That's why I was like, why.
Speaker 5: Is but that's Metro mechanics Ville and all that. You know, hear what I'm saying. Maybe she's not considering that ship Atlanta. I was saying from the song, it seemed like she wasn't considering any of that ship Atlanta.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 4: I feel like everything that she was saying in that song was like Stone Mountain, I have to go back, And you're probably right, you know what I'm saying. Douglasville, all that shit, that's not Atlanta, but a lot of people claim it as Atlanta, Like Mary, Yeah, that's.
Speaker 5: Not Yeah, Mayor is definitely. East Point is Atlanta. East Point is absolutely that is. Decatur's not not Atlanta. It's not West End is Atlanta. Yeah, west definitely Western Pantherville Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Yeah that mechanic. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Forest parklan for Forest Park. See, Forest Park is right next to East Point, but.
Speaker 1: It's just too far to Okay, all right, it's our college park. No, that's College Parklane. That's said.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 7: Absolute College Park is Atlanta, Yeah they claim I think they do interesting.
Speaker 1: I bet you Forrest rep so. I think they're claiming yeah, interesting. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I let us know what you'll think Atlanta is. This has been our review for the anniversary twenty years and at L has been out man. Y'all go check out the movie and listen to the review. We thank you, appreciate it. We out peace, Pea not alone.