Speaker 1: Hi Oh, Let's go hi Oh, Let's go oh, Let's go oh, Let's.
Speaker 2: Go bocome Baxtist Charlotte Snooze Talk one oh seven point nine FM, WBT. Brett Jenson here with you on this beautiful Friday night edition of Breaking with Brett Jensen as we go up to seven o'clock like we do every single night, seven oh four five, seven oh one oh seven nine.
Speaker 3: That is the telephone number.
Speaker 2: That is also the WBT text line driven by Liberty Buick gmc guys. Follow me on accept Brett Underscore Jensen for all the lettuce and breaking news in and around the Sharwotte area. I haven't put some thing out there a little bit ago a couple hours ago about the whole Marvin Ridge situation and a flag and a parking lot and everything else and how it like blew up and lives of TikTok got hold of it and it's a whole thing. But everything's been resolved. Everything's fine. We'll, you know, maybe get into that in a little bit, but I just want to let you know everything's fine. Everything's resolved. The kid can paint the American flag. So like again, if you don't know what I'm talking about. You can go to my Twitter and take a look at it there, but I'll probably also discuss it in about an hour so or less than an hour, about forty five minutes or so. All right, but we're gonna start off today with what transpired earlier today in downtown Harrisburg on Main Street, and there was a big press conference and you had quite a few people there. You had a current judge, you had Michael Waltley that was holding the press conference. You had two sheriffs, you had two state representatives, and you had a state senator all right there talking about crime in North Carolina and why they're trying to support Michael Wattley. There are about one hundred and ten people were there at the press conference, and C Span was there, so you know things are starting to get really ramped up, and he did in this particular race when C Span is there speaking to which I saw Michael Wattley's first commercial today on YouTube TV while watching the British Open, or the Open Championship or just the Open, whichever of the three names you want to call it. But I saw his first commercial earlier this morning, same time when I saw Roy Cooper's earlier in the week. So Michael Wattley spoke, But like I said, s Span was there and several other media outlets were there, and so Michael Wattley spoke, and then all the other people spoke about crime in North Carolina. And one of the people that spoke was Van Shaw. He is the Cabaris County Sheriff and he was one of the first people to speak, and he got up there to talk about why he was He's all behind Michael Watley, and the police benevolence system is behind Michael Whally, and the North County State Troopers Association is behind Michael Watley. And I want you to hear some of these speeches. And I did some one on one interviews with these people afterwards. By the way, the only one to get one on one interviews. Everyone else had to do like group media of questions and stuff like that. I was able to get these people one on one after the fact, you just wait them out and then you can get them one on one.
Speaker 3: That's that's what I did.
Speaker 2: So anyways, here's Cabrera's County Sheriff Van Shaw earlier today at this press conference, again covered by Sea Span. You know, things are getting tight, and you know things are heating up when c SPAN is in Harrisburg, North Carolina.
Speaker 4: That noon. I am. For those that don't know me, I am the Cabras County Sheriff Van Shaw.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 4: Very much, and I want to say that I'm so very excited to be here today to be a part of endorsing Michael Watley for the US Senate.
Speaker 3: I stand behind him.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent, talked with him at length, had dinner with him and his lovely wife. I feel like I know him well and he's a man I can stand alongside and help make North Carolina, in Coberts County a better place for all of us. I will say this in the matter of community safety. For far too long, we've witnessed the failures of Roy Cooper.
Speaker 3: And keeping North Carolina safe.
Speaker 4: He has made my job as a sheriff and many sheriffs across the state significantly more difficult by some of the things that he's carried out while he was in office. We absolutely do not need this kind of leadership in the United States. Senate Roy Cooper dangerously released more than four thousand convicted criminals from prison early, allowing these convicted criminals to wreak havoc on our state. These convicted criminals were released that were released went on to.
Speaker 3: Commit more crimes.
Speaker 4: Fifty percent of them went on to be arrested again following their release.
Speaker 3: So what ends up happening is you have law.
Speaker 4: Enforcement resources that are very scarce to say the least, especially.
Speaker 3: During the COVID era.
Speaker 4: Now we've got to go back out and re arrest these offenders that have been arrested, had their day in court, was found guilty and placed in the state prison.
Speaker 3: Now they're back on the street again.
Speaker 4: Fifty percent of We're talking hundreds and hundreds of arrest men and women risking their lives to put somebody back in prison that was there to begin with. I take it very seriously. We look at it. Over over two dozen people were murdered by these individuals. Nearly one hundred rates sexual assault and child pornography violations were committed by these individuals, and over six hundred of these individuals committed.
Speaker 3: A violent felony.
Speaker 4: That's what was inflicted on the citizens of the state of North Carolina by these releases.
Speaker 3: This should have never happened.
Speaker 4: North Carolina citizens were victimized.
Speaker 3: North Carolina.
Speaker 4: Families were torn apart, lives were dramatically changed. Forever, North Carolina citizens deserve better.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 4: We need someone who stands ready to support North Carolina's law enforcement and to fight to keep our community safe. Man is Michael Wattley. There is only one candidate that truly backs law enforcement and that is why we are here today to proudly endorse Michael Wattley unanimously for United States Senate.
Speaker 3: Again, that is Cabaris County Sheriff Van Shaw.
Speaker 2: And I wanted to try and get in touch with him immediately after the fact, and I turned around and he was gone. So he obviously had things to do, like, you know, go be a sheriff, So I wasn't able to talk to him, but I was able to speak to some of the other speakers afterwards. And we're going to get into some of that, some one on one conversations and one on one interviews. But again, and I know Michael Wattley was on earlier today with Brett Winnables, so so I'm not playing any of that stuff because you literally just heard from Michael Watley. But we'll play you know, sometime maybe next week or in a week and a half from how or so, but I wanted you to hear some of the other people as to why they're saying what they're saying. So again, that was Cabari's County Sheriff Van Shaw on why he was there and why he thinks that Michael Waltley is actually the best guy for the job to be the next US Senator out of the state of North Carolina. So when we come back, we're gonna hear from Stay Representative Grant Campbell. And now he's also out of Caberras County and he's a freshman, he's like in his first term, and he is a doctor, a very prominent doctor there in Caberras County, and you're gonna hear a little bit of his speech. But also I had never really had a chance to interview him before or talk to him, and I wanted to talk to him because his speech he was very, very understated, like you would expect a doctor to be a very matter of fact, and so I wanted to talk to him about that as well. We'll come back to break with Brett Jensen on this beautiful Friday night as we go up until seven o'clock tonight, we go a little about forty minutes from now. So all right, So Grant Campbell, he is a new state representative out of Cabarras County. I've never had the honor or privilege or opportunity, if you would say, to speak to him.
Speaker 3: And he gave a speech at.
Speaker 2: The Michael Watley press conference earlier today, which was covered by a lot of people, including c SPAN. And so he gave a speech, and I was actually really intrigued by him because he is a doctor and a longtime doctor, and he was very I want to say, understated, but he was just very matter of fact, like you would expect a doctor to be just very factual. So I want you to hear some of his speech, and then you're gonna hear my one on one interview with State Representative Grant Campbell out of Caberras County.
Speaker 6: Under his watch as governor, thousands of convicted criminals were released early, a move he now claims he opposed, but when he had the opportunity as governor to fight it, he did nothing. In the five years since that abdication of leadership, that group of criminals has had a shockingly high rate of subsequent arrests and convictions. Even more, that group that was set free by his lack of governance has been responsible for the murder of approximately two dozen North Carolinians and the sexual assault of approximately one hundred. Cooper's campaign stated just a few weeks ago, and I quote keeping the public safe is Roy Cooper's top priority. Sometimes the jokes just right themselves. If this is truly the case, my question is simple, why didn't you, when you had the ability to protect the state when it mattered, shrunk from leadership to obey the advocacy groups that have pushed this deadly philosophy on public safety because they supported your campaign and they endorsed you in state government. We are starting to gain ground back against those who have pushed this deadly agenda upon us, often by overriding the vetos of the current governor or bringing officials before the oversight Committee to answer under oath. We are starting to see victories. For law and order to be successful, we must have allies in federal service. It is far easier to protect the people of this state with the support of our federal representation than it is to do it in spite of their opposition. And look, I don't know Roy Cooper personally. I don't think we've ever met. I'm sure he's a nice guy. I'm sure he's good to his family.
Speaker 3: But I'll leave you with this.
Speaker 6: I've served in a combat environment on three different occasions, and I've often said that leadership can be the loneliest occupation that there is. Standing up for others can be hard. It requires you to take a stand on difficult issues. It requires you to disagree with those whom you normally agree with. It requires making tough decisions that could upset people that donate to your campaign. You can choose to step away from effective leadership by ignoring a problem or deferring to the louder voices in the room. That is your right. I will never say that it isn't a choice that you can make. But if it is your choice, stop asking the people of this state to keep putting you in positions of leadership. Let those who are willing to step up and represent and protect this state have at it.
Speaker 2: So that was the speech from Grant Campbell, again, the new state representative out of Cabara's County, had a lot of points, again just very matter of fact. So afterwards, my very first interview with the state representative about his particular speech and things going forward.
Speaker 7: So I heard your speech earlier today and it.
Speaker 3: Was very matter of fact.
Speaker 2: Didn't seem to like, not emotion, not a lot of yelling, just very matter of fact. Is that just normally how you give speeches, Because it seemed to be very, very impactful, just because it was very matter of fact.
Speaker 3: Well, look, it's not my style.
Speaker 6: I'm not a grenade thrower or anything like that. And I think that the voters want information, they want data, and they want to make sure that these candidates understand the issues. So I'm passionate about it, but you can be passionate about it without destroying everything around you.
Speaker 7: You talked about a lot of the crime and situation like that, and talked about being a leader, and if you don't want to be a leader, to step aside.
Speaker 3: Is that what you saw during his eight years as governor? I can't say. I can say was.
Speaker 6: I think we only already talked about the early releases of criminals, the lack of support for law enforcement on several different occasions. And then also one of the things that they're pushing back on is that some of these revolving doors, there's a mental health issue to this as well, and.
Speaker 3: They're right, and we're working on that.
Speaker 6: We started an IVC Involuntary Commitment Committee to look at that issue. These are all things that could have been done at his tenure as governor. And if he is saying that I'm trying to address the mental health and not just incarcerate people, during his tenure, the impatient mental health beds in North Carolina fell by fifty percent. So you can't just announce your for something. You have to build a resume that you've actually done something about it.
Speaker 7: I saw his commercial the other day while watching the British Open and Cooper said I believe in keeping criminals in jail.
Speaker 2: And I was with a friend and my friend immediately cussed at the television. It seems very odd that he would look right in the camera and say that, considering what had happened with.
Speaker 3: The forty two hundred criminals.
Speaker 6: It's politics is that you have politicians that have become so disassociated by their own actions that they feel like if they just say something repetitively, it will be true. That commercial was like the captain of the Titanic announcing that I've always been from responsible navigation of the seas. The facts, the history just don't back it up. And now that people are upset about it, you can't just revise your own personal history and ask the voters to believe it. Anything you'd like to say to the listeners, but I'd just say that this election is going to be very important. Learn about the issues, learn who's really advocating for this, and make sure you turn out to vote in November.
Speaker 3: Thing hawl things in Cabrera's County, Bears County is good.
Speaker 6: This has been my home for a long time of practice medicine here for over twenty five years.
Speaker 3: I love it here. We're unified.
Speaker 6: We recognize the fact of how close this election is going to be. We recognize the fact that Caberra's is going to be one of the key counties for the results.
Speaker 3: Of this election.
Speaker 6: We're getting motivated and we're going to turn out.
Speaker 3: I appreciate your time. I appreciate you about it again.
Speaker 2: That is new State Representative Grant Campbell out of Cabarras County. When we come back front of the program, brad Overcash was there, and brad Overcash was one of the people that.
Speaker 3: Really helped push through the Arena's law.
Speaker 2: So we'll talk to him about that, and we're going to get into some other things as well. But I really want you to hear some of these speeches and hear these interviews, because there were a lot of people here at this thing, and again se Span was there, and if Sea SPAN's there at a press conference, you probably need to know what's going on. Welcome back to Breaking with Brett Jensen here on this Friday night as we go up until seven o'clock, which is old about two twenty two minutes or so from now. All right, So brad Overcash, state Senator out of Gaston County, he is a friend of the show, but he was there delivering a speech because he was one of the people that helped push through the whole Arena Zaruska bill.
Speaker 3: You know, in Arena Zerusko.
Speaker 2: We're coming up on her one year anniversary of that horrific murder. So he was one of the speakers. So I'm going to let you hear his speech, and then afterwards I was able to get him one on one for an interview as well, just about crime and what it was like like working with Roy Cooper when Roy Cooper was the Governor. So here is North County State Senator Brad Overcash out of Gaston County.
Speaker 8: Ladies and gentlemen, there's only one law and order candidate in this race. And you don't have to take my word for it. You don't even have to take anybody up here's word for it. I'm not asking you to take it on faith. The people of North Carolina can know just what policies Michael Wattley will support when he's in the United States Center, and they can know because of what he's done. When the horrific murder of Arena Zarutzka occurred on the light rail in Charlotte, North Carolina. The very next morning, I got a call from Michael Wiley. He called and said, Brad, the legislature has to act. They have to act now, and you need to pull together and I will help you work on it. You need to pull together Arena's Law, which is something that we got passed through the Senate, through the House, and even the Democratic governor signed Arena's Law. Not only did he make that call, he started meeting with legislators from across this state and demanding that within this law we had ending of cashlest Bell promise written promise to appear for criminals, to close down this revolving door of criminals that were coming into our jails and our present and then going right back out so that these fine folks have.
Speaker 3: To re arrest them again and again and again.
Speaker 8: In fact, Arena Zeruska's murderer was arrested fourteen times before she before he murdered Arena Zaruska. Well, we worked with Michael Watley to end that, to bring law and order to this state. And that is how we can know, and the people in North Carolina can know beyond any shadow of a doubt that the only law and order candidate in this race, the only one that will protect our children, protect our communities, is Michael Whitley, and that's why we're up here today to support him for the United States Senate.
Speaker 2: So that was his speech, and again there were many media outlets there. I knows c was there, A couple of the TV's stations were there, some writers were there, other reporters were there, and like I said, a thousand times C Span was there. So afterwards I was able to catch up with the state Senator Brad Overcash to talk to him about the Arena Zaruska's Bill and Arena Zaruska Bill, as well as other things like having to deal or dealing with Roy Cooper when he was governor Center brad Over cash with me.
Speaker 7: Now, so you talked a lot about Arena's Law.
Speaker 2: And you're one of the main people that started and got this pushed through. How difficult was that at the time to actually did you think it was going to go through? And because here we are almost a year to the anniversary, so.
Speaker 3: Did you think it was going to go through? Did you think you'd get much pushback? Because there was some pushback there was.
Speaker 8: There was some on the left tried to paint a false narrative that the Arena Zaruska's murder and other murders was at the fate of law enforcement, which I thought was absolutely absurd, especially when you hear in De Carlos Brown's case he was arrested and released fourteen different times before he murdered Arena Zarutska. So once we started putting those facts out, the people of North Carolina quickly understood we have a problem with a revolving door, or we had a problem with a revolving door in our jails, in our magistrate offices and in some of our district court judges chambers.
Speaker 3: It was not on law enforcement. They did their job. The revolving door is what fell them.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the last few years of Cooper's tenure as governor and euro state centator. You guys were passing laws left and right, and he kept vetoing them left and right. What were some of the more frustrating things that he vetoed from your standpoint.
Speaker 3: That you guys were able to override.
Speaker 8: Well, I mean, the probably the most frustrating one for me was the law that keeps men out of women's sports. I thought that was something that the people in North Carolina overwhelmingly support, Those in the Democratic Party overwhelmingly support that, and we had to come back and override Roly Cooper's veto. There was a number of things along those lines. He pulled out that veto pen, that veto stamp way too often. But fortunately people in North Carolina gave us a veto proof majority and we exercised that right.
Speaker 2: So going forward, I know you and I talked last week about some of the things that you guys are looking to do in the state Senate and everything. But I know the budget is passed, and now you guys got to start, like start working on it again.
Speaker 3: Do you think the next time it'll be a little bit easier? I believe so.
Speaker 8: I mean we're Republicans, and Republican leadership in the legislature is united, the House, the Senate. You've heard all these things about, you know, potential squabbles. I don't think we're going to see that going forward this budget deal. Once we arrived at the conclusion that we did to push down taxes at a proper rate while allowing the state's economy to continue to breathe and to grow. Once we got an agreement on that, everything fell into place. I think this was an excellent budget and I think it sets us up well for when we come back in January to start that process again.
Speaker 3: Last thing, is there anything you want to say to listeners? I just appreciate.
Speaker 8: That you covered this press conference, and I hope the people of North Carolina will see that it is objectively, unquestionably clear that Michael Watley is the only candidate in this United States Senate race who will support our communities and support law and order and safe public and public safety.
Speaker 2: Center brad overcash out of Gaston Cunt, appreciate.
Speaker 3: Your time, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: All right, that is State Senator Brad Overcash out of Gaston County.
Speaker 3: And again, I know.
Speaker 2: You're hearing a lot about this press conference, and it was a big press conference, and it was one look, we would be doing the exact same thing if Roy Cooper was there and had a bunch of politicians standing behind him and law enforcement officers. I'm not sure how many law enforcement officers he would have standing behind him, but maybe he would. But again, I want you to hear these things and hear what others are saying. Like, yes, Michael Watley, he's been on the show plenty of times and a lot of times, and he will continue to be on my show, and he was on Burn Winnable earlier today and he will continue to be on Breake Winnable and maybe Pete kallen Er and others. But I want you to hear. I wanted you to hear what others are saying. Other elected officials, law enforcement officials. I want you to hear what they're having to say. And so again this is why I'm playing all this.
Speaker 3: And there were, like I.
Speaker 2: Said, a lot of people were there including a lot of medium. Welcome back to Breaking with Brett Jenson for a few more minutes here until we take you up until seven o'clock in TJ.
Speaker 3: Richie takes over all.
Speaker 2: Right, So earlier today on X I posted about then gave the solution and the end results of what's.
Speaker 3: Going on with the Marvin Ridge things.
Speaker 2: So, in case you ever heard about it, you're allowed to like paint if you're a senior and upcoming senior and you want to paint your parking space, right, you're signed parking space as a senior at Marvin Ridge High School. Well, a particular student wanted to paint the American flag in of his dad, who served in the military, and the school sent out generic statements to all the students that were denied their initial idea. Well, this particular student was denied his idea of painting the American flag.
Speaker 3: The mom went on social.
Speaker 2: Media and immediately, I mean she just raised holy hell and lives of TikTok and there are millions and millions of followers got it and put it all out there and it just went viral. But I want to tell you from people that I've spoken to, people very familiar with the situation. Here's basically what happened the school, Martyn Ridge High School. They were citing something about the US flag, and again it was just a generic statement, and the Union County Public school policy is very generic about flags, and the school interpreted it from what I understand about, Hey, it's basically desecration of a flag. You know, you're not allowed to step on a flag or anything like that. So they thought, well, this would maybe constitute desecration if you're parking your car on an American flag every single day. They did not make that clear to the parent as to why they were turning it down or rejecting the American flag. So then it becomes a thing of oh, they don't like America, they don't like patriotism, they don't like this. His father served in the military, and so finally people got involved.
Speaker 3: Cooler has prevailed.
Speaker 2: Fox News even was reaching out to people and trying to figure out what was going on. The school has allowed is allowing the student to paint the American flag. It is now going to happen, so again the student can paint the American flag on.
Speaker 3: The parking spot.
Speaker 2: Now I had someone Matthew Ridnauer, who's former military former county commissioner. He responded to my post saying he didn't think that the American flag should be allowed in the parking spot because you are driving a car on the American flag, and maybe he should have put the emblem of his father's branch in the military on the on the parking spot instead. So you're gonna have different points of view on this, but I just want to let you know everything is resolved and the student at Marvin Rich High School will be able to put the American flag and the Union County School Board will come up with a rule or whatever about going forward about like painting flags and parking lives. Because no one thought this would ever be an issue. Well, it quickly became an issue. Not did it just become an issue, It became a national thing. So but everything is fine now. Everything is like you know, everyone step away from the ledge. Everything's good. Everything's resolved, and more things will be coming out going forward in terms of policy. So I just want to let you guys know what's going on with that in case you saw something on social media about it or whatever. But again, I put out something about it around four o'clock or so earlier today on X, which is why I tell you to follow me on X. All right, so we talked about Tom Tillis last night. Donald Trump made an address last night. Tom Tillis he just decided to just go ballistic again about Donald Trump. So here's a report from Queen City News really describing everything that took place one day after I talked about Tom Tillis extensively on the show.
Speaker 9: President Trump says the country's election system is at risk of being compromised due to vulnerabilities and foreign interference. He made these claims during a nighttime address Thursday, but his chief political correspondent, Andy Weber, reports a North Carolina senator argues that the President's solution would only further undermine public confidence.
Speaker 10: And then shows that the election system we have dangerously exposes and really exposes like levels never thought possible.
Speaker 5: President Donald Trump addressing the nation Thursday nights to reassert his claims of election fraud, using much of his time to relitigate the twenty twenty election, in which he lost to Joe Biden. The President arguing, you the best way to minimize both domestic and foreign interferences for Congress to pass the Save America Act legislation that would require citizens provide a proof of citizenship when registering to vote, would also implement a nationwide voter ID requirement.
Speaker 10: Addressing this crisis of election security demands that Congress must pass the Save America Act.
Speaker 11: What we're going to do if we continue down this path is to convince.
Speaker 3: The American people that you can't count on your election results.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 5: On the Senate floor Thursday, North Carolina Center Tom Tills tore into that legislation, arguing it would be impossible to implement a new voting requirements in thousands of counties in such a short timeframe. You want to sit down there and talk about how you up the bar, and.
Speaker 11: You give people a year or two to get it implemented.
Speaker 3: Fun but don't fool the American.
Speaker 11: People into thinking you can implement something of this complexity over sixty days. You have to have identification. You get on the plane, we get met up, anywhere you go, you have to have identification.
Speaker 3: I don't understand that.
Speaker 11: I think I like Tom, but I think his hatred to President Trump is fueling that.
Speaker 5: Meanwhile, South Carolina Congressman Ralph Norman insists that as long as the Senate can get on board. The legislation can and should be implemented to ensure elections are more secure and reliable.
Speaker 11: He's got proof of meddling by foreign countries, particularly China, and that's a serious, serious problem for this country.
Speaker 5: The Same of America Act still doesn't have the votes to pass the Senate, but Republicans are hoping to include it in future budget legislation, which would lower the threshold needed to pass. Andy Weber, Queen City News.
Speaker 2: I think Ralph Norman hit the nail on the head, the congressman out of the Rock Hill area in the upstate of South Carolina.
Speaker 3: I think he hit the nail on the head.
Speaker 2: I think that Tom Tillis is so blinded by his hatred of President Trump because President Trump was never going to endorse him for a third term, and he was going to endorse anyone but him, and he hates President Trump so much that he's refusing to do what his constituents want. He's there to serve the constituents of North Carolina and to do the will of the people, and he's not. He's doing the will of Tom Tillis. Tom Tillis's legacy is shot. He did so many wonderful, great things while serving in the North Kunta State General Assembly. The North Carolina General Assembly was instrumental and basically the driving force and getting the Republicans the majority and even super majority. But what has gone on the last year and a half, it's not good. And his legacy will always be remembered for stuff like this. I think his hatred blinds him immensely from what the constituents in North Carolina want. It's not what Tom Tillis wants, it's what the constituents in North Carolina wants. And honestly, he's just ignoring them and throwing dirt in their face. All right, everyone, that's going to do it for us tonight Again, TJ. Richie's coming up next. Thanks to all the people that allowed me to get one on one interviews with him earlier today from Michael Waltley's press conference. But again, TJ. Richie's coming up next. My name is Brett Jensen, and you've been listening to Breaking with Brett Jensen.