Speaker 1: All right, we are back another edition here of Colts Corner with myself Kevin Bowen. Unfortunate Eddie Garrison cannot make it here on this Wednesday morning, but definitely time to check in with you from Colts training camp. Six practices in seven to go, big night practice situational scrimmage coming up on Thursday night. I know Shane Second's pretty giddy about that practice. Really, the first true night practice. I guess they're wheeling in some lights or they gotta do something up there at Grand Park for the nine o'clock hours, certainly, so eight to ten fireworks afterwards, and then you know, after those two morning weekend practices, things will shift.
Speaker 2: To Baltimore for the Colts. They'll be there all.
Speaker 1: Next week, just one joint practice in one preseason game, but I won't have another practice at Grand Park until the following weekend here, so kind of the midway point of camp. So we'll go over the offense, go over the defense. Good amount of Twitter questions as always, thank you guys for sending those in. Continue to do that, we will get to them, so, you know, just overall thoughts. You know, obviously we will begin with the offense and you know, the quarterback position right now, I say, is trending towards being a little bit more of a competent battle than it was. I thought to start camp. I thought it was a really poor start to camp, not only for the quarterbacks. I thought the pass catchers had some drops and just sloppy, just bad and honestly probably what we expect from the Colts passing offense this season.
Speaker 2: But you know, I do think if you.
Speaker 1: Look at it right now and again as we record this Wednesday, you know, Richardson and Jones have probably put three of the last four practice days together fairly well. I didn't think Tuesday was flawless for either, particularly the end, but better definitely from those guys. So you know, obviously you want to see that at that position, given the you know, vital importance. And I guess individually, if we start with Richardson, I'd say this quite often when we talk about spring practices or camp practices, particularly once in July. You know, I'll throw in the caveat of you know, I'm talking to you on July thirtieth, so everything is with the grain of salt, and that's probably good to remember. And you know, I've kind of used the school analogy on our morning show with Richardson of, Like, you know, I have seen some incremental improvements in his game. I would challenge anyone that has watched Anthony Richardson in a training camp practice over his three years in the NFL. I don't recall a six practice stretch where he has had this type of underneath accuracy.
Speaker 2: It's not perfect.
Speaker 1: The bar was very low when I say that thing, but it's improved, you know, is it the wider base, is it? You know, that footwork element helping him out? You know, maybe that is something you can point to it. It certainly looks cleaner, But I just don't see the egregious missus, the ground balls, the you know, airmails over the middle helly, you know, the hitting the roosters that you know, you know, thrown it in a way over the crossbar or in individual periods like he's had those misses and almost daily in years past, and you know I watch every Richardson throw. I don't see that to that level. Now, Again, this is individual periods. This is against your own defense. The red jersey still on. It's not real football, but even in non real football, he's had issues in those areas, so I don't see the amount of egregious misses that maybe we have.
Speaker 2: Seen with him in the past.
Speaker 1: You know, I would also point out, and probably should have done this at the start, the fact that we're talking six practices in and he's thrown the amount of balls he has thrown definitely stands out to me. I did not think we'd be a week into camp and he would have this much workload in the eleven on eleven sessions. Yes, he dials it back a little, not that much really, but he definitely dials it back in the individual periods, which is fine. I think it's a great plan. The Colts have to get him all the team reps as possible. But you know, he's practiced six straight days and you know the four days last week that they had in a row to start camp. It's not like his volume change there in the eleven on eleven So I would say, all things considered, it's been a good first week for Richardson when you consider where he was at walking into Grand Park, the unknown of the spring, and you know, now the arrow pointing in a better direction. You know, everything with him has to have context around it. You can't compare him to a normal NFL quarterback, Yes, at some point you need to, but you just can't given his background. So I think it's what makes the evaluation of Richardson so difficult. But you know, he said, you know, after the Tuesday practice, I feel like I have more control of the ball. And you know when he said that, I kind of thought to myself, Yeah, I I I feel like that is correct. You know, the deep ball maybe hasn't been as abundant or as accurate as it usually is, but he the underneath stuff pretty good. So you know he's passing a lot of these tests right now. Will he passed them against real teams? All of that stuff. But you know, he's changed his diet and again I definitely notice the wider base and I get, you know, some of his comments of probably frustrating to a degree when he says after practice, you know, I've got to do more and you know I can't be slacking anymore, and you want to just be like, wait, why did it take you three years in the NFL to.
Speaker 2: You know, get to that point.
Speaker 1: And that's fine, I mean I totally get why fans would react in that manner, as they should, but This is what happens when you take a risk like the Colts did at the fourth overall pick, and they probably honestly mis evaluated him a little bit off the field, and you know how much growth was needed in that area. So better be now or it's going to be never. And so that's probably how you have to look at it so far.
Speaker 2: With Richardson.
Speaker 1: So, you know, Daniel Jones, I think also is probably the arrow pointing a little bit more up with him. You know, with Jones, he can be more accurate than Richardson. Certainly he definitely can be steadier than Richardson.
Speaker 2: I will say there are times.
Speaker 1: I feel like he's just a tad late. Is that in a new offense? Is that just kind of him as a quarterback? You know, if you're a tad late in a comfortable camp setting. I don't like what that could mean for the regular season. But I thought, for example, yesterday was a really strong day from Jones. You know, again, factoring in the bar, I don't have a super high bar for him.
Speaker 2: You know, it is primarily a lot of dink and dunk stuff with him.
Speaker 1: You know, there have been some second level throws in the last couple of days that I think he's hit on and just in general, we probably talk so much about Richardson we don't acknowledge Jones enough.
Speaker 2: But you know, there are times where I see kind of the Gardner.
Speaker 1: Minshew ish, you know, comps that makes some sense, you know, I know from a deep ball standpoint, he definitely showed a little bit more I think in the spring in the team sessions, and I've seen so far here. You know, I'm curious how that will evolve a camp moves along. But you know, to summarize where I'm at, kind of quarterback wise, a weekend, you know, you hear Stichen's words, and I think he's more open to giving Daniel Jones a chance. I hear Ballard's words, and I feel like it's a little bit more like no, no, no, we got to be patient with Anthony.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: That's kind of where I'm going to go on that. But I I would call Richardson the slight leader in my mind kind of a week into it, you know, I think Jones has got to outplay him noticeably. And weirdly both have been good on the same day or better, or both have been bad on the same day. It's like, we haven't had two wins of the spectrum for the two quarterbacks on a given day. So you know, we'll see how this continues to play out because we are going to get into some bigger evaluation periods. But yeah, right now, I would give it to Richard just because you know, he obviously can bring quite the dynamic run element. You know, Jones is definitely definitely has ability to make place with his legs. There's no doubting that, but it's not, of course, at the Richardson level there. So yeah, I think that's everything from a quarterback standpoint. You're kind of moving over to other items in the offense obviously, Bernard Rhyman contract excension, you know, arguably the biggest news item so far off camp. To me, that was a no brainer. I don't care what your future is at GM. I don't care what your future is at head coach. I don't care what your future is at quarterback. Bernard Ryman needs to be a left tackle. It's a great story. So for me, I just thought the rhyming thing again made you know, really total sense.
Speaker 2: And you know, it's.
Speaker 1: A wonderful Chris Ballard draft pick. It's finding a premium position in the middle of round three. You just I mean, look at the best left tackles.
Speaker 2: In the league. You just don't find these guys where Baler found him.
Speaker 1: Obviously, the Kastanza thing I think took a little while, a little longer then it should have, just to get a little bit of semblance at that position. Uh. But again you got to give credit to you know, finding a franchise piece.
Speaker 2: Uh. With that third round pick seventy nine, I want to say, it's kind of sticking out to me. I don't know, maybe that's Ryman's.
Speaker 1: Number, maybe that was popping it into my head, but you know, middle of round three, I think it was back in that twenty twenty two draft. And you know, I was curious because you know, as that Rymand thing played out, and you know, he opped on our neon to three show with Jay Query and you know, expressed that his team had said they were kind of wide apart. You know, maybe it was the Rashawn Slater domino that need to get started for kind of value to set in. But you know, there's a little part of me it's kind of curious, like you knows, Carl ersa Gordon at all. Look at that and think, oh boy, this is the first extension under my watch. I don't want the thought to be, oh, we don't pay people or we don't pay.
Speaker 2: Quality left tackles.
Speaker 1: Like you know, when Rymond said there's a disagreement on positional value, I'm thinking onself, wait, what a minute, Chris Ballard has paid running backs, he's paid linebackers, he's paid guards.
Speaker 2: He's not going to pay a left tackle.
Speaker 1: That makes no sense to me whatsoever there So I think got ryman contract will age really well and quality quality player and great to hear that. Braden Smith, to quote him, is in a spectacular place. I mean, I was struck by brain Smith. First off, his willingness to want to speak. You know a lot of times you can see stories like that. He obviously had to tell all with Joeli Erickson. That's kind of the one time and then any other time I'm gonna tk, I'm gonn talk a little bit more football. But you know, his willingness to speak and be so vulnerable. I commend him for that. You know, I was really struck, really kind of hit me when he said at some point, you know, I was just trying to be alive and that was Oh boy, that that really struck me, you know when he said that describing where he was at last year and you know, on the field with Brayden. You know, before he left the team right before Thanksgiving, he had played every snap but won last year.
Speaker 2: So again there's injury history, but like you know, that to me is something.
Speaker 1: But also he was trending to have a really healthy season, you know, over seven hundred snaps and he just missed one. So you know, center continues to be a competition. I would say so far, the O line a little better than the D line. The first two practices. I don't think there was a lot of like blown dead sacks or kind of muddy pockets with the pads on. I was talking with Joe Wright's Colts Radio yesterday at practice and he mentioned as an offensive lineman, he always thought it was easier to block with pads on than it was without. So you know, I do think the old line has been pretty solid here, even in the run game.
Speaker 2: And again I think the run game.
Speaker 1: Is kind of hard to truly truly evaluate, you know, from a wide receiver standpoint, I think it's been a very mixed bag from that group. I like what I've seen from Alex Pearce. I like what Anthony Gould has shown the fifth round pick from two years ago out of Oregon State. I mean, he if you add up the catches in eleven on eleven, I'd venture to guess he's right up there with anybody, including Michael Pittman Jr.
Speaker 2: In terms of catches.
Speaker 1: And you know, it's a lot of the slot stuff, but there's been a couple of downfield plays as well, and I don't know how the offensive snaw or the role maybe gets there for him. But I guess if Josh Downs were to go down, I don't see it being maybe as big of an issue like last year.
Speaker 2: I think it was big time scramble. Note.
Speaker 1: I think Gould has shown enough where you would at least give him the slot opportunity to try and you know, band aid that up. If Downs were to miss time, Yeah, I'd like to see a little bit more from Michael Pittman Jr. I think I like to see a little bit more from Josh Downs. Those are two guys I usually don't say those things about. I think Down's been better here the last couple of days. You know, the eighty Mitchell experience is just it's just maddening. I get why the staff is enamorate with the talent.
Speaker 2: You know, he had a couple one on one moments against.
Speaker 1: Saverious War the other day that you know, he just cooked a guy that frankly hasn't been cooked at all here during camp. And then you get to these eleven on eleven periods and he probably was close to a handful of drops and or fumbles so far, and there's just such an inconsistency to him. Yet he does the hard part, right. I mean, like at times other wide outs struggle to get open, that is never seemingly an issue with him. And you know, I kind of go back to his you know, time in college and you know, okay, why was he the tenth or the.
Speaker 2: Eleventh wide out taken?
Speaker 1: Because you know, here's a guy that played five college football playoff games and you know, I had a touchdown and all five of them. And then you know, you get deeper into those games and it's like, wait a minute, he only had three catches total in those games if you take out the touchdowns, Like, okay, why wasn't there more production there? And you know, obviously for the Colts you look at that and say, okay, we're going to tap into that. You know, he's young, whatever, immature and consistent. Everyone to describe it, but you know, with coaching development, we're going to get there. So you just like to see him string some eleven on eleven stuff together.
Speaker 2: I do think the one.
Speaker 1: On ones, even the seven on seven's a little bit better here the last couple of days. So we'll see about the eleven on eleven's Tyler Warren moves around a whole lot. They move him around a ton. The catch radius is very evident. He had a couple of fifty to fifty moments it didn't go his way the other day. That was pretty rare to see. Great play by Justin Wally climbing the ladder for one and it goes awesome to Jake he had had another wad a linebacker.
Speaker 2: But they will move worn around a lot.
Speaker 1: Shifting gears the defense, I also think well Mallory has had a nice camp so far Shifting gears the defense though. Traveri's ward very good, just anticipates really well. The sticky coverage. Boy, he talks, he really talks. But I think he's got a very clear goal of wanting to get back to being an all pro corner and was in such a dark place last year in San Francisco, and you know, yeah, I think he feels like he's got something to kind of prove to himself to get back there. And I think those three corners are starting to emerge. And I would have said that before the unfortunate injury to Jayalen Jones. That's been the one notable in practice injury so far where he went down yesterday and he was in a world of hurt and had to get helped onto the cart before he was carted off. They said hamstring injury for him, So we'll see how long his absence is. And you know, the Colts, I think we're starting to build some real depth at corner. I mean, if you look at Jones as your fourth and Juju Brents is your fifth and Samuel Willmack is your sixth, I mean, at one point last year those three were all playing huge minutes for you. So, you know, I just think Wally competes and competes. He had a beautiful teach tape rap against Michael Pittman JUNR on Tuesday, you know, isolated in man dig route giving up all that size, picture perfect technique, you know, gets right in front of him for the past deflection, doesn't get that right hand, you know, tugging on the on the jersey as he tries to.
Speaker 2: Go around him.
Speaker 1: Just great stuff from Justin Wally. So yeah, I look at Ward, I look at More and I look at Wally and think that those are your three corners if you're gonna go play tomorrow. And you know, we'll see about the health of Jones. Juju Brents also makes I don't know if I saw Ju do a practice also missed yesterday with the hamstring injury. So again we'll see how all of that continues to play out. So waiting on the practice debut of Zira Franklin, it looks to be soon. I mean, he certainly is working up a big old' lather on that adjacent practice field, so I don't it doesn't look.
Speaker 2: Like something that's going to last too too much longer with him. I do think some of the linebackers have really.
Speaker 1: Made a nice impression in the passing game. Joe Bachi for sure, coming on from Cincinnati. I've noticed him a good amount camera groan this yesterday due to injury, but you know he's been factoring into it as well.
Speaker 2: Kind of quiet for Jailing Carlis.
Speaker 1: He had a pass deflection late in camp yesterday, late in that hour forty five minute practice, so that was good to see, but probably been a little bit on the quieter side for him. And again in D line, I just maybe haven't noticed the activity from that rush unit as much the first couple of days in full pads. There's good one on one moments, but you know, again when they get in the team sessions, haven't noticed.
Speaker 2: As much of that. You know.
Speaker 1: Kicker wise, we've seen them kick twice in front of us. Both of them have done a decent job. They both missed two kicks on their first day and then they both were perfect this week. It sounds like Thursday will be a big kicking point for both of those guys.
Speaker 2: I still think Spencer Schrader, Oh bless Me is the is the favorite for that kicking battle.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that's probably kind of where I stand offense defense wise. I updated some position battles up on our website, so you can check that out. One of seventy five the fan dot Com If you want to head over there, you'll get a look exactly where things kind of stand.
Speaker 2: As again we reached the midway point of camp.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get to about a half dozen Twitter questions here, as always, thank you for sitting these in. First one here from Cato. I was really hoping that the revamps secondary would give law to a lot to the extra time to become the disruptor. We hoped his pick would warrant. How does he looked so far in camp? What can you tell is the word that they think he can take the next step. I mean, you know, they're very high on him from a word standpoint. I would say I haven't noticed a ton from him in the eleven on eleven stuff. Again, just two days of full pads so far. And you know, when you think about it, the Colts do have two quality tackles that are opposite him. I'd say Quity Pay probably definitely probably is a definite starter opposite him. And then yeah, I think Samson Ebukam has started to rotate a bit with LAT two in those starting reps as he returns to that torn Achilles. So again we'll continue to see. Obviously you rotate a lot there. I called JT two amloau a little bit more Antai Kwon Lewis more of rotational guys.
Speaker 2: They move around a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Even the inside to Maloaut notice him a decent amount late yesterday and practice made a couple of plays in the passing game. So again, I think it's important to start to get truer evaluations on those trench guys. This from Jamie Braden Smith plays sixteen games and earns a Pro Bowl in twenty twenty five. Does he get extended, franchised or become a free agent?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: I the thing with Braidon Smith is I didn't get the vibe from him when he met the media earlier this week that like, this is a dude walking up the eighteenth hole or you know, I don't know. I don't know if you come back just to play one year and call it quits. But then again, anytime he's dealt with, you know, the obsessive compulsive disorder that he did, I you know, it's probably a bit unfair to also just be like, oh, yeah, he's gonna play for you for the next five six years, so you maybe need to tread lightly. They are high on the ceiling of Jalen Travis as the backup there. But if you play sixteen games, is you get extended franchise become free agency?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the franchise tag.
Speaker 1: Actually, I hadn't even thought about that, you know, another year to kind of let Travis grow a little bit there. That's not the I don't think that's the craziest idea in the world. And again, you know he played all those snaps but one last season. I mean that's right before he got right right before we left the team, and I mean we're talking north of seven hundred snaps there. But yeah, I would say, you know, the franchise tag, a shorter term deal. I think all that makes makes some sense here. This from Blopa. He wants to make three statements and know if I agree or disagree to them. And why statement number one Last year's defensive back ceiling is the.
Speaker 2: Floor this year's dB room. H I like that. Yeah, yeah, I could see that. Yeah. I think there's some real potential with the secondary.
Speaker 1: Now. I do worry about the depth, especially at safety. I think you're asking, you know, buying them. I have noticed kind of getting back to him that Cross maybe not the most active playmaking camp so far, but I've definitely noticed buying him, you know, a few times, and for the most part, really it hasn't been anything deep completed against these guys number two. Here, the improvement on the perimeter has a multiplier effect that makes the whole team improved. Yeah, I definitely if you're better on the perimeter, it can help me out of time. I mean, this is a perimeter league and that Yes, trench play is important, but the league has grown significantly in being a perimeter game. That's just how football has evolved, especially over the last five or ten years. So the Colts have not been good enough out there on the perimeter. I can't say the wide outs though I would label his strong camp so far. I don't you know, the drops have gone down here in the last couple of days, but still I can't ignore what it's talking of the first three or four days with that. But yeah, I mean when you look at the secondary, you know, definitely, Lastly, if it works, could this be an impressive change of direction in Chris Ballard's career, Well sure, yeah, I mean it definitely would be. I'd argue it needed change of direction in Chris Boward's career, and yeah, could very well keep his job obviously, just like people hear Anthony Richardson's answers on, Hey, you know, I need to do more and I need to stop slacking, And people say, well, why in the world did it take you three years to figure that out? People say the same thing about Chris Bward in nine years on his resume. Why did it take you so long to you know, try and find, you know, position improvements and not be so hesitant in free agency and not be so reliant and strench it on, you know, run it back, and you know, build from within and you know, ignore free agency largely to the level that they did from outside of the building. Guys, Josh wants to know a short segment checking in with all the rookies would be great. He goes focused on the quarterback has been understandable, but some other guys interested in have been lost in the shuffle. Okay, so he wants a little draft pick run down. Here, we've touched on Warren. He's gonna play a ton, he's gonna move all over, catch raise is great.
Speaker 2: Just yeah, I just yeah, everything.
Speaker 1: That you would want in him to him all awhile again, you know, not a ton of crazy production. I did, like I said Saul A little bit of it the other day, moving around a bit. I would call him kind of rotational defensive end, playing with probably a little bit more power than speed. At this point, i'd call Justin Waally, you know, third corner starter. I think I hit on that. I'd call Jalen Travis probably the lead on that second tackle. I did actually notice him playing a little guard the other day too, So clearly, you know there's a thought there of you know, hey, can you get him ready.
Speaker 2: For game day?
Speaker 1: You know he's got no guard on the resume there, So that was something that did strike me. You know, I'll be curious if DJ Ginton gets that second running back spot.
Speaker 2: I mean, I do think Khalil Herbert and even Tyler Go I've.
Speaker 1: Noticed as well, especially as a special teamer and you know, trying to make the team as a fourth running back. You know, I continue to like what Giddens has shown. Roley Leonard's a project he did on cork one the other day, beautiful deep ball to d J Montgomery. But you know he has been you know, an accurate, inefficient, you know, look like you know the guy we saw at Notre Dame. So no real surprised there. You know, Tim Smith rotates in occasionally, Eric Johnson, they brought back the defensive tackle, and then they did sign uh the twuo Po dude who played with lou Ana Romo a lot in Cincinnati, an older defensive tackle. And you know, there was a point in the off season where I mentioned this, I think on this pot of like, you know, one thing about an Rumo in Cincinnati, he had a lot of big fat dudes on his defensive line, and the Colts really haven't been that, like al Woods might be a name you throw out there, but they really haven't been that a lot in the last handful of seasons. So I don't know, maybe that's a sign of like it's an area that they want to train, get into it. You know, maybe you whatever keep that dude on the practice squad and you bring him out when you play some run heavy teams. You know, maybe that you know, you kind of elevate him for those sorts of games. But yeah, Tim Smith kind of rotating in, and you know, I still think he's got, you know, to do something to probably cement himself on the team. And then lastly on Hunter Wooller, you know, as we touched on when he was drafted. What a great spot for a seventh round pick to be drafted into the Colts need safety help, and yeah, I mean I look at Wahler as kind of a pretty consistent second unit guy.
Speaker 2: Daniel Scott's got a big special team's presence.
Speaker 1: But yeah, right now, I think it's trending as Wooler to make the team, which for seventh round picks saying that on July thirtieth, it doesn't happen very often, So kudos to him and the right depth chart drafted him.
Speaker 2: Low end theorist. I haven't heard much about joelannie Woods. Is he practicing? How does he look?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think he's missed a practice. Noticed him in a couple seven on seven rep one day. Haven't noticed him too much out of that.
Speaker 2: I don't know where he makes a team.
Speaker 1: To be honest, here's part of me of like, if he shows anything, you would probably keep him around just because you don't want a former third round pick who you've waited this long to see, you know, blossom elsewhere. But I'm like, who you cutting? You're not cutting Worn, You're not cutting Moiley Cox. I don't think you're cutting Drogatry or Will Mallory, So I don't Yeah, maybe practice squad, can you kind of sneak him through there? But again, I don't think I've seen enough of an impression from him that would make me, you know, want to keep him necessarily, you know, without any debate whatsoever. Uh, last one here from Will. If you have to pick one, who do you want to start under center for the Colts? Not who you think will start, but as a fan, who do you want? I'm sitting here after watching all the inconsistencies, all the bs that has come with Anthony Richardson, and yet I'm so fired up to see him take snaps in a game setting versus Daniel Jones.
Speaker 2: Screw the floor being higher with Daniel Jones. I want the chance at the ceiling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you and I on the same boat, man, And even if you don't bank of the high ceiling, at least you get closer to the final answer. Plus, I want to know if the healthy offseason did anything. Again, I have seen incremental improvements. Maybe it's the kid that didn't show up the classes now showing up the class. Should I really compliment him for that? That's fair? I can understand where people are coming from with that, but I do feel like I've seen some growth there. But again, what happens when you face the Ravens, Packers, Red Jersey off real settings, and even if all that hits, even if all of it hits, we still have the health question. And that's what makes it. Richardson thing just so difficult to gauge. But yeah, you guys know where I stand. It's hardly ever the band aid, and in the AFC in today's day and age, it's definitely not the band aid.
Speaker 2: So give me the higher ceiling and go with that. That's how I look at it.
Speaker 1: I think, get stuck in the middle of the NFL purgatory with whoever you know, Daniel Jones would whatever he would deliver for you.
Speaker 2: No thanks, no thanks.
Speaker 1: One of seven five The Fan all of your training camp coverage. Apologies for just the singular pods here. The last couple of times are just on a bit of a weirder schedule here. With training camp hopefully edding out, I can get back to a little bit more of a consistent recording basis, but we'll continue to have your camp coverage again. One of seven five The Fan, Our YouTube page k bow In ten to seventy on social Thank you for listening to Colt's Corner with Myself, Kevin Bone