Speaker 1: Andy Moore Automotive Group potline. He's been in Westfield. I know Grand Park in Westfield for colts camp. Our good friend Ben Sola joins us from ESPN on ESPN dot com. Hey Ben, how's your yard doing?
Speaker 2: Hopefully well?
Speaker 3: I'mt been hauled in the last ten or so days, but the life report and the tomatoes are good, the cucumbers are good, and so we'll take that well.
Speaker 1: The reason why I bring this up we had you on back during the draft and we had noticed via your video that you had some dead spots there. I wanted to make sure that you got back on track with that.
Speaker 2: I'm not a big lawn guy. A lot of water, not a lot of biodiversity.
Speaker 3: I'm bigger on the prairies and the plane and so dead spots don't bother me too much.
Speaker 2: I just mean somebody's walking.
Speaker 1: There, completely understand, all right? So will this consider the yard because we'll say the watch the wife has the yard in the proper position right now. So Ben, you tell me your thoughts on Daniel Jones, considering the injury, the circumstances, and what you have witnessed up in Westfield, how has he looked so far?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it looks quite good.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say that he looks like, you know, he's sprinting around there at full speed, you know, not.
Speaker 2: A care in the world. You can tell that he's still being careful with how he moves, but he looks no thing is moving.
Speaker 3: Better than I would expect for a guy seven and a half months off of achilles surgery.
Speaker 2: They are not Molly coddling Ham, which I think is a really good sign. Right.
Speaker 3: I was talking to Shane Spiking after practice and I asked him if they have to adjust at all what they call or some.
Speaker 2: Of the you know, do we want to avoid the rollouts or managing the reps?
Speaker 3: And he was like, nothing like that, Like, you know, we were getting a full sign from the medical staff, you know, give whatever you want and he's going to feel it out and he's just going to keep getting stronger and stronger. And so I don't think when it comes to week one we'll see a fully healthy Daniel Jones. I think he might still be a little bit, you know, more careful and more ginger. How much you know, veilosophies, you got to have him to drive in that ball to back. But that's something it's still waits to be seen.
Speaker 2: But as for the skates that we're at right now, you got.
Speaker 1: To be pleased with there is that so been so luck of ESPN and ESPN dot Com is on the Andy Moore Automatic Group POL line. So again, it's a very small sample size so far in camp here, But give me the most impressive aspect that you have witnessed so far in Westfield with this Colts team?
Speaker 4: What stands out above all else.
Speaker 2: And Daniel Jones specifically are generally.
Speaker 1: No just in general with a team personnel individually speaking, personnel wise, whatever you think.
Speaker 3: I was happy to see AJ Halsey out there with the ones. They looked good on the day that I was out there. That's a third round State dot LSU. You know, they look like they're going to start at least two rookies there C. J. Allen and linebacker and Halsey and safety, and then they might start a third linebacker, a third player I should say linebacker and in bright Stetch of their fourth round pick. And when all this was going down and they they were drafting all these rookies, you know.
Speaker 2: I've known Luanna Rumo from his time coach.
Speaker 3: In the Bengals, and I know how important communication is in his back end. You got to be a sharp cookie to play in that defense. You got to be able to idea it really fast and communicating really fast. And so I'm seeing, you know, potentially two potentially three rookie starters on the defense, and I was I'm pretty worried about that.
Speaker 2: That feels like an issue to me.
Speaker 3: But in watching HALTI play and speaking Lou about him, and speaking of Chris about him, and some of the people there, you have the sense that they're really pleased with.
Speaker 2: Where he's at.
Speaker 3: The really polices are justin Walley the second year Nickel is at and he knows only banged up last year.
Speaker 2: You know, well we'll see you know, bullets aren't live until weak one. That's a lot of rookies, a lot of inexperienced players are going to be.
Speaker 3: Playing that for that defense. So it's still something to watch. But I didn't see, you know, a lot of mental errors. They seem very comfortable getting the young guys out there right now and feel bit about where their communication was.
Speaker 1: Hey, Ben, what do you look for in a camp situation like this with the negatives and the positives from a team at this point of the season.
Speaker 2: Great question.
Speaker 3: It's because we misunderstand a lot of the stuff that we're supposed to look for. The number one thing that I want to see in a camp environment is how well you know procedurally in process wise.
Speaker 2: Are the teams getting into.
Speaker 3: And out of their calls right from first team, secondeen, thirdeam? Are you getting the call from the sideline correct, You're getting lined up in the correct spot? Are you snapping the ball on time? Is everybody going where they should be going? You guys, as every coach will tell you, they run a lot.
Speaker 2: Of simple stuff in camp. They're not really running anything complex.
Speaker 3: And so you've got you know, linebackers dropp into the same spot and zone coverage receivers running.
Speaker 2: The same route.
Speaker 3: They don't know the depth they're supposed to be at. You know, you you can tell pretty quick. You'll have positional coaches and coordinators coming off of sideline screaming, hollering, gain frustrated because this is the simple, basic foundational stuff we got to be able to do. And so a good practice is an unremarkable practice. It's the one where everything closed, everybody's moving fast, everybody knows their assignments.
Speaker 2: You can.
Speaker 3: The other thing that I think is big to look for during these camps is for some of these younger players who haven't seen play at the NFL level, who looks like they belong, who very clearly from a height, weight, speed, movement perspective, is operating an NFL pace. Right Wally being an example of the cold last here is a third round pick out of Minnesota.
Speaker 2: You don't know if a third round pike is going to start or not, right, it's kind of on the border. Well, all the buzz was like this guy who is an nfler. We can tell right away he's playing an NFL speed. He's got the transitions we need to get, the physicality we need.
Speaker 3: This kind of belongs and he gets a bad injury there against the Ravens enjoying practice.
Speaker 2: You don't get to see him for a year.
Speaker 3: But as a guy like Halsey, you can watch Halsey run, watch him clicking clothes, make decisions. You can look at the sides in the frame of him. You can watch me in one on ones.
Speaker 2: Covering tight ends and see all right, I can see how this.
Speaker 3: Player is going to work on an NFL field. Then the second team guy comes on. You go, okay, yeah, I can see this guy's a little bit small, a little bit not so quick. That's why you know, he's more on the backup side of things. And so a lot of it is just checking boxes. Are you guys getting into an out of your operations quickly enough?
Speaker 2: If you guys have the replesite physical tool cap to survive at the NFL level, and then you know, we'll.
Speaker 3: Get more serious about installing complex schemes and being able to work together the unit and to be a deeper and deeper week in the training camp into the season.
Speaker 1: Ben Solac joins us on x at Benjamin, so like, oh, lord man, you have one hundred and eighty thousand followers, Ben, Holy crap. Yeah, I bought most of them, Lord of mercy. Are they all bots? I have all bots? I think on mind, I think they're all porn bots. Anytime I mentioned like a porn reference, like I get all this recap it's weird, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's a weird sight.
Speaker 4: No, it is, man, good job out of you, Ben Solac.
Speaker 1: We loved him back in the spring time, even more so right now on the anymore Automotive Group hootline. So here's what's weird to me about the coast defensively, and you were talking about the back end of that. They are built for success kind of backwards here and here's see if you follow me and then you can play off of this. So they have a lot of money, a lot of experience, and a lot of playmaking ability in the secondary. We know that especially on the corners up front where normally teams really make the offenses pay in consistent pressure. You have leatu La too. There's a lot in that first round selection, but there's not a lot of hope because they just haven't had that consistency of getting after the quarterback. Is this if this defensive situation holds up, Is this a philosophy you think that can make some waves defensively? Can you rely on your secondary more than you do the pressure you get up front in an NFL defense in this era?
Speaker 2: Yes to no.
Speaker 3: And this is something that's kind and you know, thought about and considered over the last several years. This team is still a little bit more in the secondary, a little bit less than the pass rush. The long and the short of it is Chris Ballard believes very strongly in his ability to identify a rushers and draft them and get functional play out of them on a rookie contract. Right, That's kind of always been his way. And so guys like you know what you pay was in the building, now he's gone. Deo Dango's in the building. Now he's gone. Why is that well? Because he believes in bringing along with out a lot too. And okay, you didn't get a lot from JP twomloaut your one, but Ballard's going to bound his ability to identify those players and to develop them and to get good.
Speaker 2: Play out of them.
Speaker 3: The standing is sure wide receiver, Right, why are Michael Pittman and that my Mitchell no longer colts?
Speaker 2: Well? Because we drafted and we developed out Piers.
Speaker 3: We drafted and we developed Josh Downs and we believe in our ability to bring those players along. And so to me, it's less about a larger NFL philosophy when it comes to the ways that the cults are approaching the edge rusher position, and more about Ballard thinking that he's able to find players at that spot who can be successful as round three, round four, round five.
Speaker 2: Six, because at edge they might be a little bit standing.
Speaker 3: Young and cheat deeps a tackle man. I mean, Default and Grover are two older and very experienced players, and rightfully so, because they, you know, they had to give it the tackle problems for a couple of years and they got a little bit more serious in that position with veterans, and so to me, it speaks the Ballads thought about the edge rusher position more than anything else.
Speaker 1: Ben Solight joins us. So does the Jeon Robertson deal have any impact on Jonathan Taylor around here in your estimation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, less than you might think, because Jon is a second contract running back, this is his first extension. JT is going to be a third contract running back, this will be his second extension.
Speaker 2: And so the j Keith deal.
Speaker 3: Gets measured a little bit more against Blake Dereck Henry's recent contract and Christian McCaffrey's recent contract because those guys got those deals in their late twenties and Jk's only twenty seven.
Speaker 2: He came in the league pretty young.
Speaker 3: But in general he's more gonna be measured against those guys relative to Bjon who's a younger player, Jamiir Gibbs, who's younger player now higher prize higher price. You know, Jon and Jamiir Gibbs pulling up the overall, like top ranking of the running back contract. Mart We've no still help JT. But if Taylor and Tar's agent go to the Colts and they say, well, Bejon just got you know, twenty two point five million per year on the extension or whatever it was, we want to come in above that, that's gonna be a non starter because JT's done a different stage in his career than bees on it in terms of how he gets paid.
Speaker 1: So, Ben, my philosophy is this, I wouldn't I wouldn't jack with anything long term given the Coult situation right now.
Speaker 4: And I want to get into the thirty.
Speaker 1: One million dollars they have in salary cap right now in just a second, because maybe you could utilize that.
Speaker 4: But would you.
Speaker 1: Agree with me on this, I mean, regarding Jonathan Taylor or anything else.
Speaker 4: I would not put.
Speaker 1: A lot of long term money into what appears to be right now a very short term improve it to us project.
Speaker 4: Would you agree?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It's interesting to me, And I've got to concern I no reporting on this, Like I was just there and I poked around it a little bit but I'm not really getting anything from anybody there. I remember how Ballard spoke about Taylor and his potential extension when the first time around, when he finished his rookie deal and it was time for him to get his first day contract, and that was at a time where nobody was paying running backs, and you know, got very contentious with the Colton with Taylor and obviously and all ended up coming together and he stayed.
Speaker 2: But Ballard sounded like one of these general managers who's very reticent.
Speaker 3: To pay running backs big money because you think that's the spot where you can be able to not be a little bit younger and a little bit cheaper. Well, here we are now a few years older. Johnathan Taylor's had over three hundred carried. He still last two years, so he's got where on his tires, And all of a sudden, the tone is very different.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: We were so excited I Johnathan Taylor were working on actively to the keep peace for us me the fact that bruship is different than it was back then, right, And so I think the enthusiasm for paying Taylor and giving him an extension on his third deal here to me is a reflection of how ownership feels about and less so than Ballot has complete changed his tune about the position.
Speaker 2: Again, that's just me reading Sea Leaves. That's not anything that I know for certain.
Speaker 3: With that said, because it's a later contract for Taylor, it's a third deal.
Speaker 2: You're looking at a deal that'll be like, right.
Speaker 3: Three years in length and probably only have guaranteed money for the first two.
Speaker 2: Years in it.
Speaker 3: And so I don't think you're in to see, you know, some massive long term extentiment back of the money that's that's for younger players, certainly not for a running back into his late twenties. And so whether they get it done or not, I don't expect big long term investment. I expect a big chunk of upfront money, and then there's going to be the ability to get out of the deal pretty quickly as the years go on.
Speaker 1: So min So Light joins us so thirty one million dollars they have in camp room. We saw Davian Clowney get signed by their arrival in Houston a couple of days ago. I look at the edge rushing is needing some help.
Speaker 4: Maybe they don't view it that way.
Speaker 1: I look at the wide receiving position it needs some help. Maybe they don't view what that way. What do you think the protocol is here? Because they do have money to spend, why have they not done it? Is something because you were talking about veterans not wanting to report right now. Is it something they will address or do they just simply put feel comfortable with the personnel that they have right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I couldn't tell you.
Speaker 3: I think that they have some big extensions potentially counting up with Jonathan Taylor, with Josh Down, So maybe they don't want to go around spending money until they know what they're going to do with some of those bigger deals.
Speaker 2: Getfore a fuckers up. Gevor Stewart is up?
Speaker 3: Any extensions even sign right now, you wouldn't expect to impact the twenty twenty six caps very much, not like they have any veteran holdouts to are demanding a pay raise for twenty twenty six and so you can tell me, all right, they're just kind of being careful with their money because they have some big extensions.
Speaker 2: They might sign.
Speaker 3: I do think that in general they're going to be a little bit cost cautious, just because they don't know if they're good or not.
Speaker 2: They don't know if Daniel Jones is back or not, and so there's a.
Speaker 3: You know't know if you're gonna be able to recapture that magic of last season, and then do you want to deal with a camp with your money?
Speaker 2: I would be interested in adding a veteran wide receiver.
Speaker 3: I do think that while I understand that they want to expand out Pierce's role, expand Josh Down's role, and then kind of run seat behind that, I still think that you could add another body to the action duel in Lookuan Treval, Nick Westbrook fifteen a group, and that feels like a very reasonable thing to do in the modern NFL.
Speaker 2: And Edge Rucker I agree. I think that you're gonna see what.
Speaker 3: You have with arden Key, you see what you have with Tuiamlaile, and then essentially add a guy as well.
Speaker 2: So they don't need thirty one million dollars. That's more money than they need to hold right now.
Speaker 3: I think, if anything, they're just being a little bit careful with their long term spending because they don't really know if they're going to be in a run at back, Daniel Jones is healthy, Shane stikeens to go, We're gonna win twelve games again mode, or if.
Speaker 2: There gonna be in a shoot Daniel Jones isn't healthy.
Speaker 3: We're blowing it's up, we're firing everybody, and we're rebuilding sort of a mode, and so it's kind of just a little bit don't touch.
Speaker 2: Anything right now.
Speaker 1: So Ben personal p here, would you longer term Jonathan Taylor? Given the circumstances organizationally right now, with the general manager, with the head coach and this kind of prove it to everybody philosophy, would you do it?
Speaker 2: Sign up to a long term deal?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's really good. I mean he's so good.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I like that because I would I wouldn't my plosively, I would not do it.
Speaker 4: Am I wrong in that? I would not.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't put any extra money into anything, knowing, not knowing who is going.
Speaker 4: To lead this organization coming up next year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's very fair, right I.
Speaker 3: So if you're if you're asking me from an ownership perspective, sure, then yeah, I think being cautious and then waiting on it is very defensible if you're asking me from Hey, if you're the general manager, if you're the one running the team, who are you paying, I'm paying Jonathan Taylor before I'm paying anybody else, Like You've just been the lifelout of my offense for for six years now at this point. If he's a highly dynamic runner, he was off at the player of the year until Daniel Jones went down last season.
Speaker 2: We're talking about a league.
Speaker 3: Leading back here, and so from a football perspective, obviously still buy juice left.
Speaker 2: I'd want to pay him.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't want to give him, you know, tons of guaranteed money twenty twenty nine, but I would want to pay him. From an ownership perspective, where you're thinking about maybe making a total head coaching general manager, a game team change next year, I understand.
Speaker 2: The renaissance to kind of punk future money on.
Speaker 4: A guy I've been so lucky with us.
Speaker 1: Before I'll let you go, I did want to ask you about a player that's not yet back out there.
Speaker 4: That is Alec Pearce.
Speaker 1: He got a substantial raise contractually from the Colts in the off season, and we saw him, you know, down the field yards per catch. I mean, he was the stretch the field type of guy. Are you confident he's going to be able to mature into the type of well rounded, wide receiver that that contract would equate to.
Speaker 3: It's a great question. I'm not confident I think he can. It's less like and I'm not like, yeah, ilive, you see it one hundred percent. The thing about Steichen's offense is that he has his receivers in very defined roles.
Speaker 2: In the last couple of years.
Speaker 3: The piers just did you know, he ran a very specific route tree, and so you have to do some projecting in order to say, yeah, he's gonna run a lot more outbreaking routes, a lot more quick breaking routes, and they're all going to be great.
Speaker 2: The amount of.
Speaker 3: Film on him doing that is very, very small, just because of the role that he had. What you do like and what you do feel really good about is, let's say Alex Pearce can't really emerge too much beyond the role that he's in.
Speaker 2: Let's say then that he doesn't have that evolution.
Speaker 3: Well, the role that he's in right now is you know, twenty two yards of reception.
Speaker 2: It's a hugely valuable role.
Speaker 3: Right They hit explosive plays, big plays, big gushdowns. That's better than say, if you like gave Josh downs a big extension, and then he couldn't grow out for being through me more than just a slot receiver. He is, and he's getting you like seven eight yards of pop. And so I do think that's a warranted vet on Piers to evolve and to grow, because even if.
Speaker 2: He doesn't evolve and grow, you still have a very highly paid explosive receipt.
Speaker 1: So Ben Solac right there, all right? You can find him on x at Benjamin Solac. You can find him on Instagram Benjamin dot Solac, TikTok Benjamin Solac.
Speaker 4: My man is multi media. Where are you off to next?
Speaker 2: Pal?
Speaker 3: I am currently somewhere between Cincinnati and Cleveland, and so I'll be a brown scamp in a few hours here.
Speaker 1: Oh man, So you've been talking to me while you're on the road right here? Have you seen anything interesting as you're yip yeffing to me on this show?
Speaker 2: Central Central Ohio? If that qualifies is interesting?
Speaker 1: That's my producer that you talked to you a little bit earlier, calebsuver. You're from that general vicinity?
Speaker 4: Are you not? Cale? Get on here and talk to my man, Ben. Sorry, I'm sorry, man, it's a rough drive. Yeah, that's all right.
Speaker 3: That's that's the ticket these days. That's what we do to entrain a camp.
Speaker 4: Good lord, man.
Speaker 1: And then not only you got to go through this crappy drive, and then you got to stop in Cleveland.
Speaker 4: Good god.
Speaker 2: That's what they bay me the big bug for.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll tell you next time you're in town, you gotta come down. You gotta join me in a live show or something. We'll throw some cocktails down. You have a hell of a time.
Speaker 2: What do you think sounds good?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 4: As long as you're a drinker.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you are now, I don't know too much about you, but we have a hell of a time on this show when we're out and about.
Speaker 4: Just so you know, I'm glad.
Speaker 2: That mean it's a good show.
Speaker 4: We'll get you.
Speaker 1: We're going to have you cut loose sometime here. Ben, here and Andy. Just let us know when you're here, all right, I'll let you have them, all right, Ben, thank you, Buddy, Ripe safely, Ben Solac right there on the Andy Moore Automotive Group pod line.
Speaker 4: The ride with JMV.
Speaker 2: Say, Man, you got a joint?
Speaker 1: Uh No, not on me. Man.
Speaker 4: It'd be a lot cooler if you.
Speaker 1: Did ninety three five and one oh seven five The Fan, Ohio State, Oregon, Georgia, Texas, No Dame and IU. According to the coaches, Phil Steel's going to join us coming up on Friday, right.
Speaker 4: Talk to Phil about IU.
Speaker 1: I'm sure the scheduling, the scheduling and the Caitlin Clark stuff which is absolutely ridiculous, which is normally as nine either side. Just keep it right here. We'll talk hoop and won't have to jack with the other crap. You have to jack with Brian Nubert, the new ad at Purdue. We'll talk to Brian about that coming up at the top of the hour. Aces and Fever coming up on Thursday, that's at seven o'clock. Tidro has got you six thirty right here on Thursday, ninety three five and one oh seven five the Fan, but on the Andy Moore Automotive Group potline, joining us now in a kicking battle with Spinster s Traider and he was fantastic at the end of last season for sure. Blake Groupie joins us now again on the Andy Moore Automotive Group Potline. Hey Blake, thank you for the time. How are you can't complain?
Speaker 5: We're fresh out to practice fields out here. I think we're on day six. I think, so it's everything's going well and joined the energy and I'm ready to keep building.
Speaker 4: All right, knock on some wood here? Are you still perfect?
Speaker 2: I believe so?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, hopefully this conversation doesn't ruin that for you. But I can handle it because I don't know if I'm the luckiest dude around anyway. Hey, I want to talk about your situation. It is rather interesting. You came in late last season and just absolutely caught fire a franchise record sixty yarder that could have been good even further. I think in Seattle, if you go back and watch the tape on that, what's your feeling right now going into a competition, Blake, and especially a competition with somebody you know so well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's you know, I think my mindset is I feel like I have a good mindset, like my you know, I'm in again spot here. I I really enjoying, you know, building with these guys and with Luke and Rigo and the whole rest of the team. I mean, that's what it's all about here at training camp, you know. But I would say that, you know, just you know, going into the competition. It's, you know, we know the nature of it. I guess as a as a kicker, and and uh, how slim the margins are. So it's you know, you got to go out and put your best foot forward every day. Yeah, you got five weeks of camp and only a handful of practices and preseason games that make your mark, So you uh like to go out there and show you can do that.
Speaker 4: Just blake groopy with us.
Speaker 1: There are not a lot of career circumstances in which you feel you have to be perfect. This is certainly your career choice is one of those.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 5: It's a uh, you know, we all know what we're signing up for when it when it comes to the kicking in the National Football League.
Speaker 2: So it's, uh, you know that.
Speaker 5: The standards the standard, and and guys are only getting better around here. So we're gonna, you know, keep putting through the uprights and and uh, you know, keep preparing for the season.
Speaker 1: I got to ask you this, in your opinion, is there any ron nor reason to why you can be perfect as of right now? How you can look so good at the end of last year, but also go into with your final season New Orleans a funk, because here's what I'm considering, and you can correct me if I'm wrong. You're getting used to operationally speaking your guys and being out there, but you were thrust into it late in the season to where you were getting used to things on the fly. And I'm assuming you were also used to the folks around you late in.
Speaker 4: Your stance in New Orleans.
Speaker 1: So is there any run or reason as to why you can get into and then out of a funk or be nearly perfect, if not perfect, so easily in the game of place kicking.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, there's a lot that goes into it, you know, being being with a you know, a veteran operation here with Luke and Rego and and guys that that really, you know, truly work well together, and you know, are going to make it forty easy to me as easy on me as possible. You know, I've always felt that, you know, I go out here and do my thing, and when I can, you know, I can control it. I can do what I can do, control what I can control, and and the rest, you know, take care of itself. So, uh, you know, I've been in a good little groove you know when I was in the good groove and in training camp last year as well, And there's just there's so much that goes into it at our position, and so you know, I really you know, stuck to my stuck to my guns and trusted myself and my routine and and uh, you know it paid off last year. But every years of New Year, you got to go out and put the work in and and uh, you know, earn it every single year.
Speaker 1: How's your relationship with Spencer given the fact you guys know one another so well, yet you're competing for the same professional gig here, it's been it's.
Speaker 5: Been doing good that you can't can't ask for anything, you know, I better got to go against you got to You got a guy that I've known for you know.
Speaker 2: Two or three years now.
Speaker 5: Uh unfortunately, you know we're little Irish on Irish action out here in Indianapolis here, but uh yeah, you know state, he's a great guy. I couldn't ask for anybody better to do against. And and I know it's gonna be a high level competition and and I don't have to bring my best every single day.
Speaker 1: That is Blake Groopy with us. He joins us via the Andy More Automotive Group hotline. Perfect so far in camp and Westfield. What's your operation? Like, what are the dudes and the don'ts for you? Pre kick, pre snap?
Speaker 5: Uh, yeah, you don't really worry about the don'ts. You just worry about the dudes. I okay, that's the first one. But yeah, you know, I have a routine, whether you know, all the way from whether it's you know, in a practice, setting my warm up and then working itself into getting ready for practice, or whether it's coming from the sideline on a game. You know, it's all it's all different. Everybody has a set of routines that kind of works for them. So I just kind of, you know, go one, check the boxes off, work to my routine, and and I know when I uncomfortable and I've worked through that routine that you know, usually good things happen.
Speaker 1: Not a lot of five seven, one fifty six dudes of the NFL roaming around, are there.
Speaker 2: No, there's not too many. But I'll hold it down for the rest of them.
Speaker 1: I'm going to I have nicknamed you the pony Keg because I kind of yeah, I just well, I know it's weird, but Uh so powder keg is what you are as a kicker, because I don't know where you find it, brother, but you find it, you find the power. So that's part of the powder keg and the culture, the pony part of it too. I would guess this. You come from a not so huge community in Missouri. To me, you've probably been proving it to everybody either that questions, your stature, your abilities are all the way around your entire life, and this is probably just right another step in that process.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I I honestly agree. I you know, nothing about the position I'm in is new to me, you know, I've that's just kind of the way I've I've found my way throughout the years is kind of working through it and h.
Speaker 2: And find my way.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: Let's just I guess, kind of tying it into what what Carly's messages this year is everything's about find a way. So, you know, going from a walk on and to Arkansas State to you know, playing starting there for four years and transferring their name going undrafted. I mean, it's just kind of part of my story is coming to going against the odds, and so that's just kind of the position I found myself in and and if you want to have some success, you don't really you don't really have a choice.
Speaker 2: So it's part of it.
Speaker 5: You're out here, uh, you know, trying to make it happen and trying to help the team.
Speaker 1: I would I would guess that this is just how you're bill Once you found when did you find out at what point of what age that you were built to prove people wrong like this? When did you discover that, you know?
Speaker 5: I mean, I would say twenty twenty nineteen in college is kind of my first year of having some success and and seeing it kind of pay off. But I mean I've along the way, I've I've messed it up just as many times as I've done it right. And and that's part of learning process. So as long as you're you know, continuing to uh to you know, add your add your repertoire and continue to get better and work through those situations you know, just still make the same mistake twice and and uh, you know, continue to build, continue to better yourself and and try to set yourself up for to, uh you know, have success.
Speaker 1: Blake Groupie joins us He's on the Andy morro aut a motive group hotline. So when you joined the team last year, and especially when you found that success, I became I don't this can't be original.
Speaker 4: I'm a I'm a groupie groupie. Have you had those before? Yeah, I've heard it.
Speaker 2: I've heard that a couple of times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, groupie groupie.
Speaker 1: That is me and a lot of the listeners right here, because you look at the effect you had on this team that was searching late in the season situationally speaking, it was it was profound and as you mentioned, you were just trying to thrust right into it, but got the job done and got the job done right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it was you. I was excited, uh coming up here and coming to a team that you know, we're well, we were buildings, were trying to make the playoffs, trying to trying to get it rolling. So I was just trying to, you know, do my part and uh and at the end of the day, just set up the team for success. You know, we we have a big role, but it's also a small one at the same time. So anything that I can do to help anybody else, regardless that it's on the field off the field, you just try to come in and and uh, you know, do your thing and and uh be there for the team.
Speaker 4: Does the game slow down for you when you go out there and kick? Does it do?
Speaker 1: Do you try to slow it down yourself or at least your mindset your frame of mind to slow it down, to make sure you're as comfortable as possible during that process.
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, you can. There's there's things you can do to prepare it. So it's all in preparation. So you know, you just go into it. You you you know, work throughout the week and and familiarize yourself with everything and the conditions and the stadium, there's everything. There's a lot of little stuff that goes into kicking and so but that's our job to take you know, take uh, you know, advantage of opportunities and and uh, you know, account for all that stuff. So it's uh, you know, it's just in the job description. You come up and get comfortable in the in situations where nobody else is so part of it.
Speaker 1: Is there any place where you would rather not kick, just the place you don't like or have never liked?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, there's definitely a few out there that are more difficult than others. But at the end of the day, you only got a choice, so you got to go out there and uh and and make it happen.
Speaker 1: When you were in high school or you that are football, baseball or soccer?
Speaker 5: Uh definitely not baseball.
Speaker 4: Uh Uh positions what positions?
Speaker 2: Second baseman?
Speaker 4: O boy?
Speaker 2: Okay, we were, We were a role player there.
Speaker 5: But uh, soccer soccer wise in Missouri, soccer football balls both in the fall. So I would go to soccer practice and play throughout the week and they'll kick a couple of balls on Thursday afternoon and play on Fridays. So it Uh, we made all state and balls. So it's hard to pick it to and uh, but you know, we decided to go to football route, and I'd say it's paid off.
Speaker 4: What choices did you have collegiately and soccer, Blake?
Speaker 5: I mean, honestly, it was mostly a bunch of you know, smaller schools, you know, some P two s and some you know, not not base schools. Definitely not Division one for soccer. But I took that one division on one, uh walk on offer and and ran with it.
Speaker 4: Did you enjoy the World Cup?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 5: It was it was fun, you know, connecting with you know, watching your friends and your family that are I guess not a fan more friends but that you know aren't aren't digging to soccer and watching them kind of get around on it and uh and and really starts to pay attention.
Speaker 2: That's always fun. This is yeah, this is ay good to watch.
Speaker 4: This is Blake griffing with us.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm gonna let you run here in a second, but I want to ask you about Sedalia, Missouri. That is your hometown, correct, Yes, ragtime music? Is that what it's most noted for? Did I looked that up accurately?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's some U.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I remember learning about that. You know, rag time it started Scott joppling all that, and so yeah, that's that's one of the that's one of the prizes to that.
Speaker 4: So did you grow up a Missouri fan?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, My home founds about an hour from Columbia, So I grew up from the Zoo fan and and uh cheering on the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: So but those days are over.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well let me yeah, no, douell, yeah, big time over.
Speaker 1: Let me say this though, I believe I saw this, that there is a former wrestler that I absolutely loved back in the day.
Speaker 4: That is from your hometown. His name is Ox Baker.
Speaker 1: You hear that name from your hometown, the wrestling that was, And.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you this, Blake.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're much younger than I am, but he was a big deal around here in Indianapolis. He was a big deal wrestling wise, back when, back when I was growing up. But no, that's that's cool as hell to see that. Hey, congratulations. Now, I don't want to mention, but I also had Matt gay On a couple of years ago, uh, during training camp. So that's why I want you to knock on wood when you're done with this conversation.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: I don't mean that you're superstitious. Maybe you are, maybe your aren't, but make sure you cover We want to cover our asses here, Okay, So knock on some wood when you're done with this.
Speaker 5: All right, I'll be just I'll be just good. Fine, I'll control it. I can, so I'll be all right.
Speaker 4: I had a guy.
Speaker 1: Hey, we appreciate you, We really like watching you your fun and certainly congratulations on what you've accomplished so far.
Speaker 4: And keep on keeping on.
Speaker 5: Brother, Yes, sir, we'll be really craciure to happening.
Speaker 1: You got it's Blake groupie right there, the Anymore Auto Motive group potline five six five seven one fifty six.
Speaker 4: And you know, it's something that we had talked about.
Speaker 1: And obviously the groupie groupie and the nickname stuff is is all.
Speaker 4: Kind of silliness by me.
Speaker 1: But you could tell one thing and one thing about the actually two things you could tell you guys are ready. You could tell that there haven't been a lot of in depth conversations about him in his life, which is fine, But you can also tell with that that's all business. And that's how it has to be in a competition. In a situation like that, it has to be all business. You're not even a member of the team. This is not even competition against the opposition as it was at the end of last year. This is competition against the guy that you've known and kicking for a special teams coach and Brian Mason that you know.
Speaker 4: So that is all business and that's.
Speaker 1: The approach, honestly, that is the approach that is necessary across the board for the colts that are trying to accomplish some things that simply put, they have not accomplished. The results have not been there. That's the tact to take on the Andy Moore Automotive Group potline. There's going to be a new ad on the inbound in Wesselafayette, and we knew we had to go to somebody that would know a lot about that. Brian Nubert of Golden Black is on the Andy Moore Automotive Group potline. Before I get into that, Brian, I didn't want to ask you about the summertime with the hoops program of Matt Painter. Any thoughts here or there regarding that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks, Sean. Happy to have Tom suck the life right out of your show the way you do to other people. Yeah. I was actually in Vancouver for all four games, so I think I incredibly What speak on that?
Speaker 1: What did you gather that is it's a difference or by comparison, maybe some similarities from what Boilermaker basketball fans can expect this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no similarities. The coach is the same. Other than that, I think this is an entirely different Predu team. I think they're much more guard oriented. They're not quite as strong and physical in the front court. Rebounding goes from being a pretty reliable strength to being a very clear question. I think they're going to be a higher pressure defensive team. I think they might be a little bit more up tempo offensively, which isn't to say they necessarily played slow before by design. But I think they're still going to shoot a lot of threes. They're just not going to play to the post quite as much. I think he got some really good young guards on that roster, and they a few of them played really really well in Canada. Jakari Harris, Antoine West two people haven't seen yet unless they were watching those games in Canada. I think omer Meyer is poised to potentially be one of the breakout players in the Big Ten, if not college basketball. So I just think this pretty team runs much more to the back court as opposed to the to the front court, which is kind of a little bit of a departure from where produce has been pretty much the past decade.
Speaker 1: Brian Nubert with US Antwin West reminds you of anybody in particular.
Speaker 2: He's got a little each one more in him. Okay, I mean he's he's long, he's smooth, he can create space for himself, he can score off the dribble, he can get to the basket, he can shoot Breeze seems to really be invested defensively, which maybe each one more wasn't quite as much until later in his career. But I think that's an easy comparison to make. I think they've got the same bodies. I think they got the same skill sets. Whether or not he can have that kind of career or not is a pretty big question and a pretty big standard to hold him to.
Speaker 1: Has Matt Painter ever coached up a team that is a symbol quite like this one?
Speaker 2: Well, you go back to twenty what was it twenty nineteen when that team was built around Carson Edwards and Ryan Klin and a bunch of complimentary pieces. They shot a lot of threes and did it very well. They had a big, tall pick and roll big man and Matt Arms the way they do kind of right now, and Daniel Jacobson shot blockers. I think that's probably the best comparison to make. That team came after Purdue lost Vince Edwards and Caleb Swan again and Dakota Matthias and PJ. Thompson and Isaac Coss and it was complete. It was like a complete reboot, and that team won the Big Ten by three games, and should have gone to the final four. So you know, Matt Painters got a pretty good recker to kind of recreating himself on the fly and kind of figuring things out. This is going to be another one of those challenges.
Speaker 1: Ryan Numer joins us Golden Black Illustrated. He's on the Andy Moro Auto Motive Group pole line. I'm going to ask you this and then move on, obviously to the new ad conversation. And I'm sure Matt will appreciate me asking.
Speaker 4: But is PJ. Thompson the air apparent here in Wesselafia?
Speaker 2: Things would have to go sideways in a pretty big way. I think for or whoever is the new AD or whoever's the AD at the time, that that decision has to be made unless they do something to sidetrack that. That would certainly, certainly, absolutely positively be my guess. And he's going to be a star. I mean, he's kind of got it all. So I think you have the best of Matt Painter in him, a more perhaps modernized version of Matt Painter someday down the road. And I think Matt Painter has done a pretty good job keeping himself modern, even though his kind of older school principles have never really been compromised. I think that is obviously the path this is headed in, But I think that decision is a long way off, and a lot of things can happen in a long way off. So but as of right now, that would seem like the direction everything's pointing board.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I kind of wanted that, and that's kind of the reason why I know it's still a long way down the road. But let's just say, for example, that Tommy McClellan is, indeed has been reported the next ad at Purdue.
Speaker 4: I want to get your thoughts on that.
Speaker 1: And a lot of times we see this Brian specific reasons behind the higher you know, maybe it's for football that direction, for basketball that direction. Maybe it's fundraising with that in mind, you know, to benefit to raise the bar on nil which is important right now as to what categories would this hire cover from your.
Speaker 2: Angle, revenue, fundraising, the financial aspect of the college sports world nowadays, which obviously is very, very complicated and a bit of a challenge for a place like that doesn't have the market share that maybe a lot of other places do. You know, everybody wants football fixed, obviously, but this is a different situation. You know, when Mike Keavinski came in ten years ago, he fixed football immediately. As it turned out, a really really bad hire occurred a few years later that basically set it back to zero. And that's what everybody judges him on. And that's what people are judging Purdu on right now. Everybody wants to fix football. This isn't a situation like Pavinski came into where you kind of knew that he was coming in to fire Daryl Hazel and then hired the next guy, Tommy McClelland and herit's Barry otom that could be the fix for all we know. I think one year is not enough to judge a college football higher anymore, even though the landscape has changed very much. So for all we know, this might work in the long run, and Tommy McClellan might not have to make any profound change to the football program, which is really the way you want it. You don't want to have to be changing coaches every couple of years and losing your whole roster and then you know, getting in that vicious cycle of portal guys every single year and whatnot. But football is the biggest thing that has to turn around. But I think that the revenue piece of it sure seems based on biographical parameters, that that's why this hire was made. I can't claim to be an expert on Tommy McClelland quite yet. We'll learn more in the days to come. I've just read its biography. I know he did a great job at Rice raising revenue, but Rice is a very different world than Purdue. You know, a lot of what he did at Rice was attracting media revenue and TV revenue. The Big Ten's got a billion dollar media package, so that's not really that might not be an open valve of potential revenue at Purdue the same way it was at Rice. So he's going to have to figure out a way to bring in as million dollars as possible. Wall football, which obviously is the biggest revenue draw of all your sports, is kind of still in the wilderness here. So I'd say football and revenue, those two things cannot be divorced from one another. They are kind of one and the same. And so chicken our egg, I guess. But you got to get football right, and you've got to bring in as much money as possible. So I think that those had to have been the two hot buttons above all others as produ made the hire.
Speaker 1: Brian Nuber of Go to Black Go to Black dot COM's on Andy Moore Automotive Group plotline, and the report is that Rice ad Tommy McClellan has emerged as the target and ultimately the higher as the next athletic director for Purdue. How much has the success with the football program of Limington impacted the thought process in West Lafayette.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if it has among produced decision makers. I would hope it hasn't, because you're not replicating that and it's an unreasonable standard. I think what it is as a reminder that amazing things happen. But if it was easy to go find amazing things, somebody would have hired, you know, Kurtzignetti long before he got his first head coaching job. If that makes any sense, I think fans, you know, I think it's probably a bit of a mind drivers, for lack of a better term, for Purdue fans, as is understandable to see things go the way they've gone at IU, when things have gone the way they've gone for Purdue ever since Ryan Walters was hired and some of the head to head embarrassment instead have occurred between the two schools. But I think it's it's a reminder that things can turn fast in college football nowadays, but expecting that to happen really isn't something that people who are making decisions on this stuff ought to be thinking is realistic, and that they can just push the right combination of buttons and it happens for you. I think what Kurtz Signetti did at IU this past year is something we may never see again in college sports. It was I mean, it was the proverbial fairy tale, and all the credit in the world to Indiana for making it happen and supporting it and you know, funding it and finding the right guy when you know, truth be told. A lot of schools if you hire the sixty year old guy who waited until that staged his career from James Madison to get his first real head coaching job at this level, fans would a freak. And I think you got to give Ius administration a lot of credit for having the courage to not feel like they had to win the press conference by making a you know, splashy, hot, sexy higher and just hiring the guy they believed in and had a lot of substance to them, and they just had a good feeling about A lot of schools would have been, you know, put off by by hiring what could have been perceived as an unexciting hire, settling for mediocrity, as social media probably would have put it. So credit to I you for that. But I don't think any school out there should be saying we need to go find our Kurt Signetti, because I don't know if that'll ever have up it again.
Speaker 1: Well, it's it considering i U football and the history. It's the higher of the century, is it not?
Speaker 4: I mean, among.
Speaker 2: Highers, what's higher than century?
Speaker 1: I don't know of a lifetime of a lot of millennia. You'd have to you're much smarter than maybe you have to tell me. I don't know what it is, but there's never been a higher like that considering the circumstances, uh, eternity.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it is, because well, what do you.
Speaker 2: Do that's better than that have happened?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I am Yeah.
Speaker 1: See, now you got me all crossed up because I'm not too bright in general, So now I'm all screwed up.
Speaker 2: But no, I was going to suck the life out of your show. John.
Speaker 1: I know, well I do a good job of that on a daily basis myself. I I just don't think you see I even said, is that if they were to go back to back that it still wouldn't be like it what I was in that stadium in South Florida in January, and it was the most surreal moment I've ever I've ever been a part of true story, I'll bet.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's just it's something you make movies about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I yeah. And again there's nothing you ever going to live up to that.
Speaker 1: So with that in mind, so Barry Odom and his expectations in year two, what do you set the bar?
Speaker 2: Well, they got to be better, obviously, they got to win more games, just to show people that this is moving in a positive direction. I think Purdue was good enough to win four games last year, And had they Purdue, people be looking at Purdue a little bit differently because you would have beaten Minnesota and Rutgers. One play decided both of those games. Two bad decisions by the quarterback decided those games basically, And had you won those two games, you know you can say, hey, we didn't win a Big ten game for two years, and now we just won two and we won four games total, and it's something at least now, I think you need to with the schedule they got, I think you need to get a couple of wins here. If not, you know, flirt with playing important games at the end of the year. That's kind of the standard produced up against right now, because things bottomed out obviously under Walter's in that second year, and you know Barry Otem. You know, the thing is with barr Otam is he didn't get in year one the punch you hope to get from a coach who can bring some of his guys from his previous stop, kind of way Kurtzignetti did. Barryotein brought a lot of his staff with him. He let a couple of those guys go after one year. So I think the continuity punch you get from a new coach sometime was kind of forfeited. Maybe not forfeited, because forfeited in fors it was done voluntarily. It was forsaken, it was lost, it didn't materialize. So that's a little bit disappointing from the big picture of view. Of produced football program right now. But you got some guys back. You had a pretty decent sophomore class last year that didn't really give you a lot of wins in year one, but a lot of those guys are back now, So that's something to kind of hold on to and something to point two. Perhaps they learned some lessons here in year one that that can materialize into something positive this year. Maybe the portal class is a little bit better this year than it was last year. I think they were scrambling more last year than they were this year. They had less of a plan last year than they did this year. So I mean, it's kind of every college team in the country right now. You just kind of flipped that coin in the air with the portal and you just hope, like hell, it ends up on heads. And that's kind of what Purdue's got to got to go up against. But they need Ryan Brown, you know, to justify Purdue's unwavering belief in him. They brought him back for year two as a starter without really adding any viable competition for him. So bury Otum, I think kind of stuck his neck out a little bit there, so that needs to payoff. And then they just need to block, tackle, catch, all the fundamental stuff in football that you know sounds obvious, but it's so hard for a lot of places, you know, to actually execute. Perdue among them, Purdue has been one of the most fundamentally unsound football teams in college football for four years now. Even when they were winning under Jeff Brohm, tackling and you know, discipline and things like that weren't necessarily strengths. So it's got to start with the most fundamental things. And it's just kind of where Purdue is right now. They're back to the bottom and just got to work your way up.
Speaker 1: Hey, Brian, what's the biggest boiler Maker football misstep since Joe Tiller?
Speaker 2: People get me at me when I say this, but they never should have broken the pillar line. At the time, you had continu egoing, you hadn't established blueprint going, you were respected as a program. They should have promoted Brocks back from within. They went out, They hired Danny Hope to come in, and that really really went more sideways than people even know. People look at the records and they look, you know, mediocre, but they didn't understand how broken that organization was. When they just completely divorced themselves basically from Pillar. I mean, there was one guy you could have brought in from the outside who would have taken that job under the circumstances that Danny Hope took that job, and it was Danny Hope, So it was perdue. Wanted somebody cheap, they wanted somebody they thought they could control, and things like that. It was just a just a really really ill conceived higher from the jump, and that that didn't necessarily destroy the program moving forward. It just set a really bad It just set them off course and you have to fire him after a couple of years, and you hired Daryl Hazel, which was another bad hire. And then Mike Mginski comes in hires Jeff Brohm. That's a smashing success, but you always knew he was leaving for Louisville, which is a matter of when, and then you make a bad hire. And Ryan Walters follow that one up. But I think the spiral started with produced succession plan for Joe Killer. They didn't want to go out on the open market and hire somebody who would have leverage on them from a contractful standpoint, so they went out and hired somebody who would work very cheap and would relish the opportunity to move to the top of the pile when he had nessillily earned it. So that sounds mean of me to say, but I think that is the absolute God's honest truth as somebody who was there every day seeing it.
Speaker 1: Now, that's why we have you on here too, because you had that particular inside you mentioned a little bit earlier that again on the inbound for the next Athletic Directors, reported Tommy McClelland. And the reason why he's here is how impactful he can be at fundraising. Where has Purdue.
Speaker 4: Been and are they on the.
Speaker 1: Upswing, especially considering this higher in terms of NIL and fundraising in general, knowing the college athletics landscape we're in right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I can't claim to be an expert on their John Purdue Club situation things like that, but I know Purdue has has been trying to max out as many revenue streams as possible, or as long as Mike and Vinski has been at Purdue, they're spending you know, at a pretty high level relative to their history, relative to their means. They've been in the black every year. Next year will be dicey with the extra money you're paying the athletes now. But I think there's gonna be some university relief coming in that regard. So from a fundraising perspective, you know, Purdue didn't dominate the NIL world the way a lot of other places did, who probably had their networks up and running long before NIL was a thing. Purdue, you know, is a different kind of culture, and you know, breaking it for better and worse. And I think, you know, people get mad at me too for saying this, is that I think Purdue, the Purdue community had to kind of get dragged into the Nile world. I don't think that anybody wants to blame the fans for them being a little bit behind in that regard. But NIL worked for basketball, It helped basketball, it hurt football. But at the same time, the money Purdue had for football, a bad coach fritter away. It's like to see in Dumb and Dumber when he takes their last few dollars and goes by beer and that tin wheel and that big foam hat. That was kind of the way produced football coaches when they had nil. Ryan Walters and his staff specifically, that's how that that kind of went for them. Is they had money, they just didn't use it wisely. Did they have more money than other people? They did not. Did they have enough money to keep Nick Gorton from going to Texas A and M for six hundred and fifty grand at the time, which was a bargain. No, they did not. But I think, you know, Purdue has been trying to, you know, square off every dollar they possibly can, and it's just it's kind of a challenge at a place like this where you don't have a huge sports engaged fan base, you don't have the state all to yourself. You do share the discretionary dollars in Indiana with the cults, with the Pacers, with Notre Dame, with Indiana, with Chicago sports things like that. That's just kind of naturally what Purdue is. And it's kind of an existential thing more than it is a circumstantial thing, and it will always be a challenge at Purdue. It's just a matter of getting everything you can, and it starts with getting people excited. And I think that if they can get football going again, the impact that had on the whole university when Purdue had had Rondell Moore and George Carl Office and David Bell and you know guys like that, Memorable, memorable games and memorable wins. People forget those teams were like six and six at best in a lot of cases, but you don't remember the final record. You remember the moments that kind of inspired people. And for Purdue to just get back to being compelling and engaging in football, I think that's a big part of the solution here.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The one thing that I think about it closing to Brian is so McClellan is supposed to be a high level fundraiser, in this case revenue level razor.
Speaker 4: How does one do that? Is there? How do you I guess, how you sell yourself? How do you set out this is what I do? Is there a protocol?
Speaker 1: Is there a blueprint to the success for somebody showing that they're able to do this or I guess being hired on the belief you're going to be able to do that at Weslafia.
Speaker 4: Do you have the idea?
Speaker 2: It's politics, it's hearts and minds. It's coming up with a message that works and presenting a vision of things. And you know before when you were trying to raise money for nil which theoretically schools themselves could not do. It had to be these third parties. It's about, hey, give us money for this. We want this player, and you could show them a player, or you could show them like actual tangible results of them giving their money. Nowadays, you know, I don't know if facilities matter as much as they used to. But it used to be where you could present a facility and say this is what we want to do to this stadium. You can enjoy this, This will make our football program better. YadA YadA YadA. Now it's I guess we got to get football going. Man. Here's what we think coach Odam is doing, Here's what we think Coach Painter's doing, here's what we think coach Gerald is doing. Help us get there, and here's our plan for doing it. But you got to have people skills. You have to have communication skills, and not a lot of sports people are great with that stuff. That's why the development world is a very different species than the coaching world is. It's kind of up to the athletic director to wear a lot of different hats and to have people skills and those communication skills, as I mentioned. But I'm not a fundraiser either. I would rather burn my eyes out than have to ask people for money. And I know a lot of coaches don't exactly relish it. I know a lot of athletic directors probably don't love it because there's a lot of sucking up and a lot of placating that is involved in it. But it's about presenting a vision, I guess, and just getting people to believe in it. And I guess that's the job Tommy McClellan has to has to take over. One thing to point out, Rice is a very wealthy school with a very eager donor class that might be more academics than athletics. But I think raising money at Rice it might be a little bit different than raising money at Produce. So he will have his work cut out for him, as I'm sure he well knows.
Speaker 1: Hey, Brian, how much more money would Braydon make for a fifth year in college over becoming a professional within the Pacer organization.
Speaker 2: Well, let's see, Gonzaga needs a point guard, right.
Speaker 1: The Kentucky stuff. The Kentucky stuff never stops me never.
Speaker 2: You've got some desperate You've got some pretty desperate people out there, And I'm not saying you take Braden Smith only if you're desperate. I'm saying that desperation is the best negotiating leverage you can possibly have. Good Zaga, Kentucky. We're talking multiple millions of dollars now if they've got it. Remember, a lot of these schools have already assembled their rosters, so their money theoretically is spoken for. And I say theoretically, I mean there's probably some change in some of these people's couches and they're you know, we don't want to look at this way because this is what has to be avoided. But there's probably some players who Kentucky or Gonzaga, whoever it might be, would you know, no longer require the services of on August whatever today is to free up that money to go pay a better player. That's what the NCAA has got to prevent in all of this, is some freshman showing up and then being told, yeah, hey, we can't take anywhere. You've got to go prep school. That's where I think there does need to be another portal window added here. Whether that happens or not, I don't know, because you can't have people who just went through the whole summer and are about to attend their first day at classes, get injured by all this. And when I say injured, I don't mean acls or ankles, I mean lose their money, lose their scholarship. They've already signed up for their classes. And once again the NC doable A gets felt to it a situation where everything's changing on a dime and effective immediately. So they gotta they got They have to mitigate the collateral damage to all this the best they can, and that's not their strength.
Speaker 1: Would you have any doubt that he's been offered a variety of deals to return for a fifth year, No question.
Speaker 2: He probably already has. But you know there are questions still in the air about whether or not there's going to be a portal window, or whether or not the judges statement that this applies only to people going back to their original school. If I understand it correctly, if that's gonna get overturned, I don't know. But no, if you were out there on the open market with a portal window and somebody could muster up three million bucks, he gets three million bucks.
Speaker 4: Hey, I don't know about you.
Speaker 1: Listen, I wouldn't be the one that would be you know, not getting three mil or whatever the amount might be if he were to go someplace else. But it's always going to be cool his legacy at Purdue, and selfishly, for me, I think that's cool and I would never want to mess with that or jack with that. So you know, if that's a thought in the mind or just saying, hey, my colleges are over, I'm done, that's also good. But that's just kind of how I think about all this in a very old school fashion.
Speaker 2: I guess. Yeah, it is very easy for you and me to think about it like that because we're not the ones cashing through in the dark check. But no, I agree completely with you. And that's what I said when everybody was freaking out over nothing on the internet last spring. People were messing with him, Yes, but all this stuff about him going to Kentucky or going to Kansas, that stuff was all manufactured. That was all fan fiction on fan basis. They weren't even the school that was mostly messing with him. But I think when all that fan fiction was going around, I actually I didn't want to address it, but I did, and I just said, hey, this is legacy, this is legend in a particular place, This is the rest of your life as a as a resident of the state of Indiana, he will never buy a drink again. You will never want for a job. And again I'm talking about people here who might never have to worry about affording drinks or need a job too. So but nevertheless, legacy is forever. Money can be if you're smart about it, but legacy absolutely is forever. So it would be really awful in a lot of ways to see him finish his college career in a different uniform. But I don't think that's going to happen. I don't think I think possible. I think he's I think the Pacers are pretty invested in him, and he's certainly invested in the Pacers, and he signed an in well, he hasn't signed his contract, but he's renounced in eligibility too, So who knows if he even could come back. But I don't think anybody knows the answer to question.
Speaker 1: It seems like there's always a way for anybody to come back if they're really proactive and want to come back.
Speaker 2: You know, every decision triggers another loophole. Every loophole triggers another loophole, So never rule anything out. Anymore.
Speaker 1: Now, any and closing guy get a run here. Brian Neuver is with us. Dusty May is a friend of mine. He is now in Dallas. Did he come at Braidon as hard as anybody did, as far as trying to get Braiden away from wessell efiat? Is that why people up there disliked Dusty as much as I've heard?
Speaker 2: I don't know if it was him personally, I can't say that for certain. I never would, but I know that collective people had their eyes on on. What I can tell you firsthand is that their their GM guy was out on the road in spring recruiting, bragging about all the guys they offered money to, and you know how much their schools had to pay to key them. And I know their collective guy was raising some eyebrows in the Big ten tournament talking about how much money they were going to offer Braden Smith and this and that, and I think Jean Blackwell and a couple of guys they got so Breas Johnson obviously a Dave Maras. So whether it was the coach or the institution, I don't know. But as you're well aware, Michigan has never been shy about fund to gets money in people's faces. So yeah, really surprised me one bit man.
Speaker 1: And while he I know that his goal was to go to the NBA, but I think that you you you can either I absorb all that's going on or if you get the opportunity, bail on it because it's such a pain in the ass.
Speaker 4: And I think it's number two right.
Speaker 2: There, So anyway, most likely.
Speaker 1: Yes, Hey, so great stuff, Brian. I appreciate that we'll stay in touch. That is really good material on the five o'clock hour on the Tuesday Forest Pal.
Speaker 2: Thank you, no problem, John, thanks for having me Brian knew.
Speaker 1: Sort of Goldenblack dot com. I'm way over, but I just kind of I want to let him go. There's a lot of good information right there. Podcast one oh seven five thefan dot com. Are we weather related here?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: We are, John, I know we're way over. Don't tell anybody.