Speaker 1: Hi Oh, let's go. Hi Oh, let's go. Oh, Let's go. Let's go the fuck am Action Shawston one seven point at nine FM WBT.
Speaker 2: Brett Jensen here with you on this Wednesday night edition of Breaking with Brett Jensen. As we go all the way up until seven o'clock tonight, tell phone numbers to get in on the show seven oh four five, seven oh one oh seven nine. And it is also the WBT text line driven by Liberty View at GMC, and guys follow me on exit Brett Underscore Jensen for all the lettuce and breaking news in and around.
Speaker 1: The Charlotte area.
Speaker 2: If you did, then you would see what I've just put out on Twitter about what or I should say on X what a big portion or the majority of the show is going to be Tonight. We got Congressman Chuck Edwards out of District eleven, joining us at the bottom of the hour. It's the first time he will have appeared on this show, so looking forward to that. And now with the expanded coverage of one of seven point nine, we are now into his district coverage wise, so listeners in his area I can now listen to us without an issue. But we're gonna start off tonight with CMPDE crime stats. They did their first six months of crime and just like the first six months from last year, crime was down, just like it was last year.
Speaker 1: And then if you remember, in the second half of the year.
Speaker 2: It exploded like exploded, exploded like fireworks, exploded, like exploded, like what's happening in Iran right now with all the bombs. So and then again you're getting ready to hear CMPD Chief of Stella Patterson talk about the crime stats. But one thing to keep in mind, this isn't through today July fifteenth. These stats are through June thirtieth, the first six months of the year, and then in sometime in early October we'll have through the first nine months, and then sometime in January we'll have the entire stats for twenty twenty six. So a reminder, this doesn't include like the ninety thousand murders that have happened over the last eight days in Charlotte, So just keep that in mind. So here's Stella Patterson talking about the crime stats.
Speaker 3: Turning now to our midyear report, I am pleased to announce that our crime statistics continue to show meaningful progress despite intermittent pockets of crime. During the second quarter of twenty twenty six, our overall crime is down sixteen percent, which is commendable. Our violent crime I'm down eight percent, and our property crime seventeen percent compared to last year. This time we experience reductions also on some specific areas that I want to highlight.
Speaker 4: They are.
Speaker 3: In the second quarter, we saw reduction in robberies. They were down twenty five twenty three percent, excuse me, twenty three percent. Our aggravated assaults were down four percent, vehicle thefts down thirty one percent, larcenies from auto down twenty nine percent, and burglaries down thirty three percent. Now, these reductions just didn't happen by chance. They really reflect coordinated, proactive.
Speaker 4: Precision policing.
Speaker 3: These gentlemen and women that you see in the room, they are called to task every single week asking what are they doing about impacting crime in the community and in their areas also too, it's because of the involvement of the community being present, be invisible, helping us out in every way that they can. Now, there is an area that we did experience an increase in the first quarter and also in the second.
Speaker 4: Quarter and that is in the number of murders in our city.
Speaker 3: In the second quarter, there was a slight increase of forty incidents compared to thirty nine.
Speaker 4: Last this time last year.
Speaker 3: While we are never happy to see increases, especially of homicides, our homicide unit continues and remains dedicated to every investigation that they conduct. In fact, their clearance rate is seventy five percent, which is well above the national average. Those men and women work really hard to make sure that we bring those who are responsible for these crimes to justice. In the past couple of days, we've seen an uptick in homicides and in murders, but I want the public to know that we are putting every resource we can to identify.
Speaker 4: The suspects in those cases.
Speaker 3: Now, I recognize very clearly that solving crime requires more than just the police alone. Some investigations only move when we get information from the public. I urged those who might be listening or tuning in that if you see something, or if you know about anything that might be occurring crime wise, please call nine to one one and let us know.
Speaker 4: The information you provide.
Speaker 3: You may think is insignificant, but it can help us solve a case.
Speaker 4: Or even a crime from happening in the first place.
Speaker 3: Certainly, you can call crime stoppers at seven oh four through three four sixteen hundred, or if you own a business and you have camera systems, you can consider registering your camera at connect Charlotte.
Speaker 4: Dot dot org.
Speaker 3: I talk about this all the time Connect Charlotte dot org. This helps our detectives move quickly to find footage when a crime happens nearby or in the area of a camera. Registration does not grant live access.
Speaker 4: To your cameras.
Speaker 3: I always want to make sure people understand that when you register your cameras, it doesn't give us access to your cameras. I've registered my own camera as part of Charlotte Connect Charlotte dot org because if something happen in my areas, I want our detectives to be.
Speaker 4: Able to pull that footage and use it.
Speaker 3: I often say that public safety is a shared responsibility. When residents step forward and law enforcement agencies work together, cases are solved faster, trust grows, and our city becomes safer. A shared public safety responsibility also means being proactive before a crime occurs, and that is exactly why our partners are standing here with us and why them being with us is so critical.
Speaker 4: Youth safety is.
Speaker 3: A topic that we are focusing on very heavily. It is a topic of interest because we know that our young people are out of school and I'm so happy to see a lot of our reach youth right here with us today as part of this press conference. But we know that every June, when the school bell rings for.
Speaker 4: The last time, Charlotte's youth are.
Speaker 3: Handed two things that they probably desire the most.
Speaker 4: That's freedom and that's time.
Speaker 3: And without the structure of the classroom, young people gain mobility. They also gain exposure to situations that can pull them off course.
Speaker 4: We want to be.
Speaker 3: Proactive in keeping them on track of not becoming victims or victimizing others. Yesterday, members of my team and I presented to the Public Safety Committee on team gatherings and takeovers, and we proposed.
Speaker 4: A change to the youth curfew.
Speaker 3: I firmly believe that a change in the curfew time will help keep our youth safe and will add to the successes that we have seen in working with our youth population. I want to highlight two units that have been very instrumental with being proactive and working with our youth. One is our JADE Unit, our Juvenile Accountability and Diversion Empowerment Unit, and also JPOST Juvenile Priority Offender Strategy Team. Both of them are on the ground every single day, proactively talking, working with our youth and working with their parents. In fact, throughout the second quarter of twenty twenty six, crimes with juveniles named as suspects were down fifteen percent compared to last year.
Speaker 4: This progress is.
Speaker 3: Arect result of a delicate balance between making sure we're not over policing, but then also too that we are holding individuals accountable for their actions. I hear people say all the time that kids are just going to be kids. They're only doing this because there's nothing else to do, they don't have safe spaces to go in various things like that. To everyone that says that, I hear you, and I agree with you as well. We know that our youth deserve safe places to be and to thrive, and that is why we are working so diligently here at CMPD and hand in hand with all our city partners and our county partners to provide those safe spaces. Just this past Friday, we assisted in Mecklenberg County Park and Rec with their team Summer Jam event. It was a wonderful event. I think some three hundred kids or so were therefore that we did.
Speaker 4: Not have any issues.
Speaker 3: Those are the safe spaces that we are talking about for our youth to be a part of. Yes, we want kids to be kids, but kids, but we want them to do it safely and we want them to do it responsibly.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: So you heard one thing where I told you last night and I told you three months ago, the same thing that they did where they don't like to say the percentages when things go up. They like to give the numbers because three percent only one extra murder sounds better than a three percent increase, just like they did in the first stats.
Speaker 1: But everything else was percentages. We got a eight percent decrease and a six percent but.
Speaker 2: Only we had one extra homicide, well a three percent increase.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: And you also heard her talk about the curfew and stuff going on that. But when we come back, you're going to hear some of the questions, and I will tell you almost almost all the questions center around juvenile violence and everything going on with juveniles having gone guns just like they were going running amok last summer as well, when all hell started breaking loose.
Speaker 1: All right, welcome back to breaking with Brett Jensen. Okay, So, after.
Speaker 2: The statements and everything going over the crime stats, CMPD chief of Style Patterson talked about the or it took some questions, I should say, and so here are here's every single question. There weren't many questions, but here's every single question. And almost all of them revolve or revolve or evolve around and revolve or excuse me, let's try this more time. Almost all of them revolve around juvenile crimes.
Speaker 5: Obviously, looking at the data, it says that juvenile homicide victims and suspects have gone down, but we have seen recently that trend still fourteen year olds and younger being involved. What are you finding is escalating to these homicide or the group causes behind some of these homicides.
Speaker 3: So I think it's a combination of different things, arguments that or information being exchanged on social media and one person getting upset over it, and now it just escalates into something more.
Speaker 4: The more that our youth are idle and.
Speaker 3: They don't have meaningful things to do, I think we tend to see this. We have some of our counselors here, some of our officers who work with our young people. You know, they're trying to kindent mayors say, they're trying to really diffuse that, trying to teach them how to just have, you know, coping skills and de escalation skills.
Speaker 4: I think that that works with them.
Speaker 3: To answer your question specifically, I think it's just a number of different things, and a lot of it stems from social media, what's posted and information that's being exchanged back and forth.
Speaker 6: I was wondering you could talk about the increase and the gun related issues and it's up a fifty eight percent. I think you've got so you get why why that is or was driving that?
Speaker 3: A lot of the stistics are down or are gun and repeat your question one more time to ask, so.
Speaker 6: Could you talk to you a little bit about the gun related issues specifically as it involves juveniles. I know a lot of the other statistics are down that one that was up, So what's driving that?
Speaker 7: Sure?
Speaker 8: And I think Chief Patterson touched on a little bit. I think you know, certainly during during the summertime or once we get out of school, that kids have freedom and kids have time time without structure, which is where we're trying to partner with Park and Rec the Beckhamer County Sheriff's Office to to create spaces where children have a positive outlet. I think that without kind of adult advocacy, that that children are trying to literally fend for themselves.
Speaker 1: And so because.
Speaker 8: Children are are not, uh, you know, fully formed intellectually, that that they make partially formed decisions, and some of those decisions have negative outcomes. And so whereas once upon a time we may have seen that you know, escalated into a street fight, the reality is now that kids are looking for a more what they deem a more impactful way to defend themselves or to assert their opinions on things. And the reality is that sometimes that turns to firearms. So that's where we really try and emphasize that people who legally possess firearms, make sure those are locked up, make sure that you keep them secure, make sure that you certainly if you have children in your home or children who regularly come to your home, keep those firearms safe and secure so that they cannot fall into the hands of a child who's going to make a decision that they're not thinking. Forty years down the road. They're thinking four minutes down the road or four seconds down the road.
Speaker 6: I do a follow up question. I just am reporting on the Kirk few and nine that proposal. At the end of my reporting, I said it may take a couple of weeks city council has to go. Would you consider trying to move that up or working with the city council because kids will be back to school pretty.
Speaker 3: Yes, that is something that we have expressed that we would like that to be moved asquickly as possible, but we have to be on the timeline that's presented by counsel.
Speaker 4: So we're just waiting. But they understand the sense of urgency that we have with that.
Speaker 6: I know a lot of you guys have to switch program, which I haven't heard any reason that based on it.
Speaker 2: But you know, there's two hundred and.
Speaker 7: Eighty two shooting into dwelling incidents, and so we.
Speaker 3: Can kind of talk about more efforts to kind of crack down those those on those drive by.
Speaker 2: Shootings and so forth, and if there's anything that you're.
Speaker 6: Seeing as far as trends, as far as what's driving those and so work.
Speaker 3: I think everything when we talk about gun violence against kind of what the Deputy chief said is what we're seeing in real time is access to firearms, disputes, people disagreeing, and instead of trying to talk through things, the immediate thing is just to go to a firearm. Unfortunately, that's I think what we're seeing across our society in terms of what we're doing. I tell you the probably one of the hardest crimes to really work through figure out is those shooting to occupy dwellings because they're so random. When we have information on groups that might be feuding, we.
Speaker 4: Can kind of isolate it.
Speaker 3: We can work with are looking at the firearms when they're fired.
Speaker 4: Those kinds of help us.
Speaker 3: But at the end of the day, with those kind of shootings, we really look to the community. If you have ring cameras, we can capture information that way, if you if anyone knows of anything that's going on.
Speaker 4: Or you hear those shots.
Speaker 3: The community's input really helps us with that because again, they're random. There are so many different places that we can't be in all of those places, and so I think that's kind of what drives it. It's just the fact that people get into disputes and then they want to solve it in that way.
Speaker 6: And just to clarify the number, let me say, SHO hundred and a two incidents. So if there's one drive by shooting that's five homes or hit, does that count as one?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 6: Or that's five individual like?
Speaker 2: How does that?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: So oftentimes I will count as one incident with multiple victims based on how many residents or people are occupying the home at the time of an incident.
Speaker 6: Okay, so two hundred and eighty two separate incidents of drive by shootings.
Speaker 9: Yeah, stuff CHPC for acid show overall climbing down, which is a good thing. What is one thing you believe that is working acceptually well? And how do you plan on doubling down on that so over here in a couple of months that gut's not switched up.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think there's a couple of things. First and foremost, Like I talked about our Jade unit. This unit, it consists of individuals who were handpicked, individuals who know how to escalate, how to work with our youth, how to connect with them, and the fact that them being out. I think I mentioned that since we formed that unit, we're starting to see the number of crimes go down, and I think it's because of their persistence talking with these young people, connecting them to resources, and talking with the parents. I think we've seen huge successes there also too, I think because we are.
Speaker 4: Getting out front talking about it a lot.
Speaker 3: You know, fourth of July, we had all our resources out that we needed, we coordinated them well, we made sure that our officers were in the right place at the right time. I think that has also helped us tremendously. It's a continuous thing. The city is a large city. We have to make sure that we're using our resources efficiently and that everybody is being held accountable from the police, that the public's holding us accountable to make sure that we are impacting crime and that we're doing everything to reduce it.
Speaker 4: And then we're holding the community accountable as.
Speaker 3: Well to share in information with us, and also holding those offenders accountable when they commit crime.
Speaker 4: So I think it's just a couple things. It's not just one thing. I think it's multiple things that are helping us along the way.
Speaker 2: All right, So let's see what happens in three months when we do this again in three months and we see the crime stats for July August and September.
Speaker 1: I have a sneaky feeling they're.
Speaker 2: Going to be really, really high if the first couple weeks is any indication of.
Speaker 1: Going back to.
Speaker 2: Breaking with Brett Jensen here on this Wednesday night. Okay, So I've interviewed many congressmen over.
Speaker 1: The last few years.
Speaker 2: Here, quite a few Congressmen and a couple senators as well. One that I have not interviewed is Chuck Edwards, the congressman out of western North Carolina and District eleven, which is basically all of the mountains. So for the very first time, he's joining us right now. So, first of all, Congressman, thank you for joining us tonight. And second of all, I saw the other day that Speaker Mike Johnson said that he wants to have a very vigorous active you know, late summer, early fall, going into November and December. And so I'm just curious from that standpoint, what kind of bills are voting or what to anticipate he met by vigorous, and what do you expect going on between now and the end of the year.
Speaker 7: Well, I wouldn't say it's only Speaker Johnson that wants an aggressive wrap up to the one hundred and nineteenth Congress. I recognized that we still got much work to do for the people of North Carolina, and the number one thing that we're working on right now is funding the next fiscal year. Our fiscal year ends on September thirtieth, and we've got to put a twenty twenty seven spending plan together.
Speaker 2: Speaking of a Congressman Chuck Edwards, who represents all of western North Carolina, like all the mountains and right there in District eleven. So you just mentioned, you know everything talking about finances going forward, how do you think that will go? Because North kel Indians are very all too well informed about how budgets go between. You know, it took a year and a half to get the one just now passed in Raleigh, and we've heard about government shutdowns in the past. So how do you think this one will start going?
Speaker 7: Well, I think it's going to go much better than we've seen for the last several decades. An example is just how we finished up twenty twenty six the Appropriations Committee, which I sit on. As a matter of fact, I'm the only appropriator from North Carolina in the House of Representatives. We passed all twelve spending bills. These were pre conferenced with the Senate, and we had a bipartisan effort to fund our go per month right up to the last minute when a number of Democrats, because of their resistance of funding ICE, pulled their support for the Department of Homeland Security. But we got twelve in excuse me, eleven individual spending bills passed outside of the CR process, which was absolutely unheard of for the past several years, and we're all to the same type of start this year. We've passed all twelve spending bills out of Appropriations Committee thus far.
Speaker 2: Congressman, almost your entire area was devastated by Hurricane Helene. Can you give the people you know east of you an update and how things are going up there?
Speaker 1: Are the mountains? Are they pretty much rebuilt?
Speaker 2: Seventy five percent, eighty percent, ninety percent, fifty percent? Can you give us an update on how things are going up there from Hurricane Helen by.
Speaker 7: I appreciate that question.
Speaker 1: You're right.
Speaker 7: I represent the sixteen WESTERNUS counties in western North Carolina, every one of which was declared a natural disaster area after Hurricane Holling. We saw unprecedented damage and I'm really proud of the work that so many churches and volunteers and neighbors have done to help initially make sure that folks were taken care of, they had the resources and the shelter that they needed. We've come on strong in terms of rebuilding. About ninety eight percent of all of our roads are now reopened. The Blue Ridge Parkway will be fully restored by the end of this year. All the water systems are now operational. We've repaired or replaced about one hundred and six thousand homes in North Carolina. About ten thousand, four hundred private roads bridges have been restored. We don't have a good count on the number of businesses that are reopened, but many have. We've brought about thirteen billion dollars in disaster relief funding to Western North Carolina for the rebuild. Yeah, we've got We've still got work to do. It may take a few years before we look totally normal again, but I'm proud of the way that the people of western North Carolina have come together to get things done. The federal government, there's no question, has been a bit slow in its response, and I have worked with three different femas since Hurricane Heleen. I worked with the FEMA under the Biden administration. I worked with a FEMA under Christy Noman. Now I'm working with a FEMA under Secretary Mark Wayne Mullen, each of which takes on a whole different set of personalities.
Speaker 2: Speak with North Carolina Congressman Chuck Edwards, who represents District eleven, which is the Mountains of North Carolina. So, Congressman, one of the big things about a month and a half ago at the NCGOP convention was Republican motivation, getting them really motivated to show up in November to actually vote into counteract the motivation by the Democrats. Do you see that being an issue?
Speaker 7: Well, my focus actually serving as the representative of Western North Carolina is continuing to serve the people of western North Carolina and doing the job that I was hired to do. I've not taken a lot of time to campaign, but the reality is Republicans are fired up and we will most certainly make it to the polls in October and November. I think we're going to see record early voting turnout by Republicans this session or this election. Republicans are fired up. We'll must certainly make it to the polls because we understand what's on the line.
Speaker 2: So Congressman, I'll end it like this, and I like I do just about every single interview. Is there anything that you'd like to say that I didn't ask you about, or anything that you'd like to say to the constituents in your district or just to the people in North Carolina who are listening.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I appreciate that opportunity. First of all, I think folks would be interested in a couple of bills that we're going to see work on this week. In fact, last night, the House passed the Sunshine Act, which would eliminate well it would keep permanent daylight savings time. While that seems like such a small issue, it's an annoyance for Americans to have to change their clocks twice a year, and I hear constituents over and over again and telling me that they wish that we could pick one time. Well, we're going to give the states an option to do that through the bill that we passed last night. Also, I know there's a lot of interest. About eighty five percent of Americans would like to see provisions of the Save America Act passed eighty five percent of Americans think only US citizens should be voting in federal elections, and the Save America Act provides for that. In addition to most Americans feel that there should be voter ID in place. And so the House is going to be working on another resolution this week. In fact, tomorrow, the Budget Committee begins to mark up a reconciliation package that I believe the Senate can get on board with and pass with a simple majority. That's two pieces of legislation I think folks in North Carolina would be interested in past that. I'd just like to say to folks out there that I always appreciate the opportunity when folks reach out to me to talk about what's on their mind. We have the Carolina Cruiser in every county every month, so follow my website and social media for the calendar there. We always look forward to folks climbing aboard the Carolina Cruiser and talking about what's important to them. And if anybody out there is still having problems with disaster recovery, I set up a special phone line. It's two to three fixed FEMA and they'll be connected directly with one of my staff experts on helping folks navigate the bureaucracy of hurricane recovery. That's two two three fixed, FEMA.
Speaker 2: Well, Congressman Chuck Edwards, I really do appreciate you taking the time for our very first interview with one another, and I look forward to doing this in the very near future.
Speaker 1: So again, thanks a lot for joining us tonight.
Speaker 7: All right, thanks a lot. I've enjoyed visiting with you.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Once again, thanks to Congressman Chuck Edwards for joining us tonight for the very first time. Here, I'm breaking with Brett Jensen. Look forward to doing that more times in the future. Quarter back to breaking with Brett Jenson for a few more minutes until we hand it on over to TJ and the Bear Richie. It'll take you up from seven to nine o'clock tonight, as he always does, as he always does. I like it when TJ gets fired up and emotional. That's fun. That's fun, TJ. That's some fun TJ right there, and he gets fired up and emotional.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: I like that DJ when he's got those waters up at Lake Norman bowling over. I'm a big fan, big fan, all right, So real quick World Cup today for the four of you that care. The Argentina upset England today, so Argentina will play Spain for the World Cup Championship in New Jersey. Is that Saturday is someone that matches Saturday? Maybe how about looking it up? Can you look it up instead of trying to think? Look it up? So but anyways, I'm happy that Argentina won. Sunday, all right, so it's Sunday. What Tom travers three o'clock Sunday. Okay, three o'clock Sunday. I'm glad Argentina won. A I like messy, but b I don't want a country to win like England that would rather protect immigrants and criminals as opposed to its own citizens. Like the poor kid that got stabbed to death and died and they handcuffed him because the Muslim said, oh, he's racial things to me, and so they arrested the kid without any proof, just automatically believing the Muslim even though he is dying and he said I can't breathe he stabbed me, and they're like, yeah, shut up, we don't care, basically, and he died, and then they only gave the guy twenty years. And now prosecutors are doing something very rare, and they're trying to make sure that he spends way more than twenty years in jail. They retrying the case to get a longer time. So I'm glad England lost. They also took away free speech. If I call travers a pencil neck geek on on X, he could call authorities and have me arrested, basically, Like I'm like, I'm a little bit exaggerating, but not really exaggerating. And what I almost put on X was, Hey, England fans, be careful not to criticize your team because you'll get arrested by the police in England. And I'm actually not actually joking about that, Like they've done away with the freedom of.
Speaker 1: Speech over there in England because it's all about hate speech.
Speaker 2: Hate speech. Well, who determines what hate speech is? If I say you're cooking is awful? Is that hate speech? I hate your cooking? Is that hate speech? Because I said the word hate? Am I gonna get arrested? So and I'm glad Canada lost. Like Canada, your country is swirling the toilet bowl right now.
Speaker 1: And it's about to go down through the pipes.
Speaker 2: Between your crazy cost of living everything's crazy expensive, your major woke, everything else.
Speaker 1: I hope you go.
Speaker 2: Belly up as a country, because we won't bail you out unless you got like a Joe Biden in office or a Gavin Newsom, or maybe Katie Perry who's now dating Pierre Trudeau.
Speaker 1: So I'm glad they lost.
Speaker 2: Glad Mexico lost, Glad Iran lost, kind of Happy America loss, so we didn't have to hear about all that crap for the next two weeks. So the team that I wanted to get to the finals, Argentina, happy to see it. The team that I was wanting them to play out of the final eight, Spain, happy to see it.
Speaker 1: It's not all get off my lawn.
Speaker 2: The two teams that I wanted to win actually won, and they will face off each other Sunday, three o'clock in New Jersey, just outside of New York City where the New York Giants and Jets play at MetLife. All right, everyone that's going to do it for us tonight, Like I said, TJ and the Bear Richie's coming up next from seven to nine pm.
Speaker 1: Hopefully we got emotional TJ. That's what I'm counting on.
Speaker 2: My name is Brett Jenson, and you've been listening to Breaking with Bret Jenson,