Speaker 1: Welcome everybody to a new episode of the France per Second Podcast.
Speaker 2: My name is Kenneth ban Is joining on the show, Rod Spike and Mike what else. Uh.
Speaker 3: Today we are reviewing highest to Lowest, a new Spike one, A Spike Spike one, Spike Lee.
Speaker 2: And Dinzel Washington.
Speaker 3: Now, apparently, uh, are you gonna call I have been, I have been calling him somebody, everybody.
Speaker 2: Gonna call him, calling that man Denzel because party he's bullshit. I believe the store. It doesn't make any sense though that he's a junior and oh that part sure, But like, why now? Why now?
Speaker 4: Because I just watched him do an inner you with Spike Lee and Asap Rocky and he was talking about, you know, Denzel's a great name and name great name and name your child out there all laughing.
Speaker 2: You didn't say Denzel. You said Denzel because he'll always been Denzel, right, So I don't know. It just seems weird.
Speaker 3: It is really weird, Like apparently, wife, he's he's mentioned this before, So why didn't just make it seem like it was this revelation, like, well, this thing he just revealed.
Speaker 2: I thought it was a big reveal until she said that.
Speaker 1: I was like, okay, but it probably just gotten lost over the years that nobody just ever knew. Possibly for the most part, he is Denzel, yes, you know if you really think about, Like the story for those that are listening is that he's a junior and whenever his mom would call Denzel, both would show up, and that's why she just was like, Okay, you're Denzel meaning the dad, and no, you're Denzel meaning the dad and the junior Denzel is I'm gonna call you Denzel.
Speaker 3: Oh so okay, So it's mama called him. His mama called him, his mama call himel right, yeah, so it's not like in other words. So when I heard that, I was like, oh, so we haven't been getting it wrong. No, no, you know that is his names.
Speaker 2: So yeah, what the mother fucking name of Denzel? So I thought that was interesting. But okay, so now that makes more sense. It made a lot of sense. That makes more Okay, it's mama name of class. I'm gonna call him class right, right, right? Right? What's that? Come on? Man? He knew That's why he knew what I was saying.
Speaker 3: Just now okay, but but yeah, man, so you know they partnered up.
Speaker 2: I think this is their fifth movie together, yep, to do the movie that was put out in joint couple of collaboration with A twenty four and Apple TV. I did not know this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't know that either until I started watching it. So they like the kind was made A twenty four ish in my opinion, where I just thought it looked like it the way that made I just started looks simple.
Speaker 2: The four stuff that I seen they have mass mass releases, well just just a the look. It looked like, what's the one with.
Speaker 3: They did what the world was ending and they was doing the military stuff quarters.
Speaker 2: In the Civil War that it looked like they had the same look to me. And did they do the one with? Adam said, yeah, you looked like that too, mm hmm. But you know they don't technically do the film, They just just yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyway, uh nah, I saw Spike Lee all through this movie, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Okay, that's that's why I question. I was like, nah, it's is that all.
Speaker 1: Spike Lee's normal shit, isn't it? But anyway, so let's talk about the movie. Man, Spike, what did you think about the movie? You said, sing Spike Lee all in this I loved the story.
Speaker 3: I thought it was a good story, but watching it, it made me wonder with Spike Lee's style of telling the story to dated, like one of the really one of the most annoying things in this movie to me was that music. And I know it's traditionally his style, him playing music in the back.
Speaker 2: Of like scenes.
Speaker 3: I just irritated it never let me get fully engaged in the movie because I'm like, why are you playing that dumb ass music in the background. But with that being said, I think Jeffery Wright did a good job. I think Denzel did a good job. I liked the casting r Wife. I think the story was great. What didn't work for me was just a Spike Lee style of telling the story. And I know it's always been like it, but I'm just not sure it can be like that in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: The wife was awful to me. She plays well.
Speaker 3: I guess I've gotten used to it because she plays the exact same role in Godfather Harlem. I mean, like he probably seen that TV show. I was like, Oh, come do that over here, because she plays the exact same role. Like she she Bumpy Johnson's wife and she acts just like that. She's got the same privileges married to a rich dude, like she she feel like she got those privileges in Hollywood and look at but yeah, she acted just like she acted in Godfather Harlem.
Speaker 2: So but overall it was it was okay. I just wish if the story had been told. But right, what.
Speaker 3: The black films like this, Mike, you can need them all day. I ain't gotta watch no more of them. This was terrible.
Speaker 2: This was man. I love Spike Lee and I.
Speaker 4: Will never disrespect, but he needs to stop remaking movies, especially ones that are already highly acclaimed classic films.
Speaker 2: Stop. This was awful.
Speaker 3: Off full having to watch it, I didn't notice was a remake.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's a remake of a great movie, just like he did with Old Boy.
Speaker 2: I don't know why he keeps telling this. I really don't.
Speaker 4: And I'm not even necessarily all the way against remaking films, but I think Spike needs to do a better job of which.
Speaker 2: Films he's gonna remake.
Speaker 4: Remake ones that are bad, not bad, but like pick the worst film in somebody's you know, career, and be like, Okay, I'm gonna improve on that nothing about this film.
Speaker 2: Improved up on the original. It was terrible.
Speaker 4: The acting was not great, the dialogue was was was choppy, the just it was just bad.
Speaker 2: Y'all. I'm sorry. It's bad. It's bad. And Spike Lee can do better than this. So you think Spike Lee can do better than this? I feel like you can't. Yeah, I mean, what was the last Spike joint? Oh? Boy, wasn't it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: It was the Brothers movie? That was that? His five whatever, the warr movie.
Speaker 3: It was pretty good. It was on Netflix. We liked it because it had because what was that his movie?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Okay, well take that back. Did you like this one? No? I did not?
Speaker 3: Okay, no, no, no, No, five Bloods the horror movie?
Speaker 2: Was that his movie? Yeah? Okay, no, we're saying that it was. It was pretty good. We liked the performances in it because it had what I.
Speaker 4: Thought when said it was a horror movie. I was trying to think it went last time, Spike Lee's a horror movie.
Speaker 2: This one. I was watch man, I was, I was.
Speaker 3: I was really disappointed by this and and and and like I had an idea because I did see like part of a preview or something.
Speaker 2: I was like, I don't know about that one, and yeah I was. I was right. No, this wasn't it. Bro.
Speaker 3: It was just so many things that was like bad about this. It's the wife man single handedly this. Oh my god, I didn't think she was.
Speaker 2: That she was bad. I mean, I don't just got kicknapped. She's like, I didn't see one tear. Your son just got kidnapped? Yeah, bro, man this man?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it almost it almost made denzil and and and Jeffrey Right looked bad.
Speaker 2: Oh, it made Jeffrey Right look terrible. No, really, bro.
Speaker 4: Every time they cursed and they spoke black, and it sounded like some one hamphistically wrote black dialogue for a white person.
Speaker 3: I asked my wife after this, I said, was this too too black?
Speaker 2: And it just it was it just and she's saying something.
Speaker 1: About just forgot what she word she used with something about culture forward. So you know, but it did feel like I'm like, oh man, this is like you really just kind of forcing this this down.
Speaker 2: You know, It's just like it was my wife dead. What it was a lot. It was a lot, and Spike is always black with his movies.
Speaker 3: But it was just like, I don't know, this is one just felt weird. It was it was an off putting feeling too. It was like like it was really wrong stretches. It was just like, bro, what what is happening? And why? I was like, is this supposed to be a dream sequence? Why is he doing that? That was so classing my eye? Get that? Only what is this?
Speaker 2: Oh my god man? This was depressed.
Speaker 3: So it's the same story, basically, it's the same story.
Speaker 2: So here's the thing.
Speaker 4: The story is very basic, yes, but it's Curisala's.
Speaker 3: Like film style that made it interesting. Like I don't know if you would like it?
Speaker 2: Do you do? You not do subtitle movies either? Really, then you probably wouldn't dig it.
Speaker 4: But it's it's a very stylistic film, and I don't want to compare it all the way, but like, I'll just get this one piece out.
Speaker 2: The first hour of the og.
Speaker 4: Is in the dude's living room when they're finding out that his son was kidnapped and what's happening, And the whole time you're fascinated because Curis Have you has anybody seen any Curisy films?
Speaker 3: I know you haven't because he's it's all subtitled obviously. Well, I've watched some like Motorcycle Diaries and stuff like that. I've seen, like, it's not like I'm just.
Speaker 4: Anti well at any rate, he has this incredible way of filming. And if you watch, even if you just watch the first thirty minutes of the original, you'll see him talking about like he will have people that are talking and saying really important things, but they'll be in the back right hand, and there'll be other people that are just not doing anything in the foreground. So it keeps you being like, Okay, what's going on, and it keeps you your eyes moving.
Speaker 2: But it's a really interesting way that he does this. What's his problem movies? Really quickly?
Speaker 4: What's He's mostly known for samurai films, so ten Samurai Something Forrest, which is the one that inspired Star Wars. I think it's called Hidden Forest. But he's mostly known for samurai films. This was like a crime drama that he did, which is why I thought it was weird that Spike Lee was going to remake this. But if you look at his last two remakes, they've been asked.
Speaker 2: He redid Old Boy.
Speaker 4: For no fucking reason, and it was trash. He redid Ganja and hass As the Sweet Blood of Jesus, and it was asked stop remaking films. He's such an amazing filmmaker. Why are you tackling classic it? He's better with original ideas this. I think he could have done this so much better because the idea of taking this story and making it black in New York was so interesting.
Speaker 2: But the movie was not. Who was too New York too? Like the subway ship was? That was terrible. Oh, I fucked with the subway shit heavy. That was the best part of the whole fucking movie. Huh. They were chanting? That was you know that. She was amazing. I thought, who is the guy? Who was? What? Guy?
Speaker 3: The main guy that was like chanting, He's like the leader of the chant He seemed familiar.
Speaker 2: Well, you're talking about the one that was playing the music. Guy that was like whatever, Yeah, I've seen him somewhere else, Anthony.
Speaker 3: No, it was a white dude, white guy. You've probably seen him as a Yankees fan. If I'm not mistake that guy. He on the he's thank you for being a fan. Okay, Yeah, I know I've seen him before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I watched it with the missus and she didn't like twenty minutes and she was like yeah, she told me after We was always like yeah, like when it was all like what the fuck did I just watch?
Speaker 2: Like what is name? You just feel like that? Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It was really weird and it almost felt like there were like he was trying to have two comers, two coms. It was almost like it was about generations to a certain degree. You know, this whole AI thing was in it heavy. Uh, phones were in it heavy in the beginning of the movies having a conversation with this Entrey about phones and putting the phone down and you're always in your phone and blah blah blah blah blah. And then he said, put your phone down. I'm serious and then he's by the hand of David or something whatever that was strike down on the.
Speaker 2: Trying to biblical this movie really m M.
Speaker 3: And he was having a conversation too about I felt like like more affluent black people to Jeffrey Wright's character because we asked him, you had the money when it was your child, but it's my child, you ain't got the money. Yeah, Yeah, that could have been a really interesting down They didn't that's.
Speaker 2: How they really dug deep into that idea.
Speaker 3: That was the main I feel like could have been the main Like that's what I thought it was going to be, because you know, Rick Fox was in he was playing himself apparently.
Speaker 1: So we get introduced to all of them, Trade Cole, Rick Fox, the coach, the wife, David King, he's selling his business, stacking his records, and he drops his kid off. Then we meet Jeffrey Wright who's driving the car, who's was in jail apparently for something. And we meet Patrick, who was his business partner with stacking his records.
Speaker 2: And then he said to Patrick.
Speaker 3: That he wants to buy his controlling interests by his shares so he can just assume control of the label and not stell sell to straight out records or something.
Speaker 2: Like that, and and all that happens.
Speaker 3: Then he goes talks to the wife and tells her and blah blah blah blah blah. Uh.
Speaker 2: So all that's in the beginning of the movie.
Speaker 1: Anything in particular about the way they set this up were just kind of Patrick, Hm, did you all reckonize Patrick? The voice sounded familiar, but dude.
Speaker 3: He was his part brother moves.
Speaker 4: You can spot him by his nose. Nobody got of knows, Like he was like, yes he can spell coff.
Speaker 3: Yes, just what But this goes to Spike Lee because Spike Lee's directing the that's the part that's surprising.
Speaker 2: But I wasn't.
Speaker 3: I was just saying I feel like Denzel probably was adding some shit he had he had to it.
Speaker 2: I don't think they had a solid script.
Speaker 3: You think he directed, like do that ship with the My thing is, even if he didn't direct him to do that as a director, wouldn't you be like, nah, I doesn't look right.
Speaker 2: Don't do it again.
Speaker 4: Without again without that, it was just bad. But no, I didn't take ship from the beginning, okay, except that he's a family man. And I was like, okay, they're making this real black cool, let's see where it goes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love you, love you more things?
Speaker 1: Uh we we We learned that through the conversation with the wife. Is that And I think there's another conversation in the movie is about like the music business. Yeah, and she's saying that he complains about the music business, that he doesn't.
Speaker 2: Love it the way he used to.
Speaker 1: So she had that that whole conversation about how the music as soulless and it's about tech. But I was wondering, I think, to a certain degree, music as when it comes to the business, I've always been soulless.
Speaker 2: Well not, I think that's hard work, very I.
Speaker 4: Mean, if he's supposed to be a very Gordy type or or or Quincy Jones type. I could see the discussion when it comes to tech and being soulless. But at no point did I even get the impression that he gave a funk about music.
Speaker 3: Us that No, Yeah, yeah, the best ears in the business.
Speaker 2: Show us that. I mean, I know that plays into the plot later on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, show me him being enamored by music, show me him being in love with music.
Speaker 2: I didn't get that at all.
Speaker 1: We should we we learned, but I think that's part of the movie as we move on.
Speaker 2: But we saw that it was the opposite.
Speaker 1: Like his son kept asking him listen to Sula, which comes back around you know, hes supposed to have this playlist, and you know, I think there was somebody outside performance, so there were all these things music related that he kept kind of casting aside exactly.
Speaker 4: You know, Yeah, if you want to do that, then show me, show me him like we saw Bill Cosby, Show me he has a basement of jazz records, show me him down there. Just I mean, we got the hohld him talking to the fucking pictures on the wall, which was corny as because show me him caring about music.
Speaker 2: I didn't get that.
Speaker 3: It was almost like he didn't care about music from all the examples that they gave us until closer to the end, because he when he walked to the building and the lady that you said, did he walk off with?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he walked off. The girl was playing the guitar. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the editing was so we couldn't tell if he walked off or like, because she turned around and he was girl.
Speaker 2: I was like, well right, and then she went by somewhere else. It was like, bloke out. I don't get it. That was transport.
Speaker 3: She went somewhere in his mind, and like, I just didn't get there because he like he wanted to listen to ye and the just.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't want to listen to it.
Speaker 3: It seemed like his love was his legacy though in business that was at the forefront, because I feel like he put that put forward everything, even his friend's son at that point, like his legacy and having that business.
Speaker 2: That was his passion. It wasn't music. Like his wife said, Okay, maybe I thought they were supposed to. I don't know. Okay, you're probably right. Yeah they told us his love with the music, but they showed us show yes, yeah, okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: But so this happens and she's like, well, you know, if you want to really buy it, like you're not in love with the music anymore, why are you doing this? Which I think she was right the question, But then she gets called that he was kiddingapped, her son was getting up, trade was getting up.
Speaker 2: I did like that point. I thought he got the call. Yeah he got Yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: They were on the balcony and you know, they had a moment and then she left. He got the call and it didn't say anything, but you assume like, okay, what the hell is going on?
Speaker 2: And he came in and said what he said. I did like that excuse okay, we're going somewhere. But yeah, he said they got trade. They like, wasn't mean they got trade?
Speaker 4: Talking about I was with her, I say, did they shoot him? I mean got it was like he had warrant, Like, what happened? They kidnapped him, They got him, they kidnapped him.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine kidnapped as a seventeen year old.
Speaker 3: Kidnapped by asap Rocky? That it was what I was leading to. I ain't never seen nobody on a Rocky team. They could have kidnapped me at seventeen years old.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that. You ain't seen his team he got I'm talking about the ones in the movie.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, sorry, sorry, I'm talking about the ones he had in the movies Got Still the Bad. Yeah, no, I'm sucking all them. I'm like, Bro, Ain's Rocky not kidnapping me. Bro, Like, no, that's not happening. Really, It's like he.
Speaker 2: Was like a king pin. You're a rapper, a struggling rapper. Yeah, he didn't even have a job. This, this part could have been cool.
Speaker 4: And again, this is one of those things where I wish it wouldn't have been called Highest the Lowest. I wish he had just made a movie. And then later on said he was inspired by High and Low.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, because.
Speaker 4: I'm walking into this film knowing what happens in the original, knowing how amazingly that is laid out and done, and then I get this and it's like, well, the wife's response was so poorly executed that it took me out of the film. I was like, Oh, she's involved. I'm thinking Spike Lely changed the whole story. I was like, oh, she she kidnapped the sun.
Speaker 2: I don't know why.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's because she wants to keep all of Denzel's money and doesn't want Denzel to buy this.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but she's involved. I thought it was a Jeffrey Rice's character.
Speaker 3: Yeah, talking about the wife's performance. The dude from the fucking insurance commercials, Oh yeah, the one that plays his mayhem.
Speaker 2: I thought I've seen him before.
Speaker 3: He wasn't bad commercials something like that, right, Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: He's better than those it every time. Yeah. The racist cop that's not racist. I couldn't figure it out. Was he supposed to be racist?
Speaker 3: That's what I thought, because the black guy was more of addict than anybody.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. B Yeah, the cops were awful. They were terrible, all right.
Speaker 3: And then the one lady that came in, she didn't even seem like the head detective, the one that she was the head detective.
Speaker 2: She was supposed to be the head detective. I thought it was the guy.
Speaker 3: It's like they forgot me and movie that she wasn't infective.
Speaker 2: Oh god, bro, she came in.
Speaker 3: She's just like a regular officer. She had the had on She's like, yeah, lead detective. I'm like, but we never even saw.
Speaker 2: Her leading any lead anything.
Speaker 3: It was just man only week when she made the thing like that to your point when she said why he wanted rubles instead of dollars And it wasn't even her though.
Speaker 2: That wasn't her. It wasn't even her. I thought it was her that figured that part out.
Speaker 3: It was her that figured it out. But she's not even the one that says she's the lead detective. It was it was some regular officer that said they were the lead detective.
Speaker 2: Wait what Wait the one knocked on the door. The one that knocked on the door.
Speaker 4: Wait, there was a different female copy it was there. One had a ball cap on one.
Speaker 2: You sure wasn't the same black woman? No, it was not she. The one woman had on a suit. This woman had on police uh uniform.
Speaker 1: Because she came came in, looked around, and then went back and brought everybody else.
Speaker 2: Okay, y'all can come in. She was supposed to be the lead detect and then she just left. We didn't.
Speaker 3: We saw her off on the side doing some ship. It was the weirdest ship bro.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, dude.
Speaker 3: But then these other two come over to the lady were talking about and the black guy.
Speaker 2: They seemed like the detectives of the ship, right. No, they were saying that the other lady was the lead. Why would you even do that?
Speaker 3: I have man, it made no sense when she figured that out, and he was like, what school you go to?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but didn't she say something like black Girl? She said she went to Spell Blair.
Speaker 4: She said something about black Girl magic And all right, bro, y'all trying too hard, y'all really trying to be lighter, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: That was interesting. That was really that was That was one of the most interesting right now.
Speaker 3: But it felt forced though. It did like it felt forced, like I don't know, it's just the execution of these scenes. Yeah, and I'm which the music didn't help, like, like it just seemed like a whole different movie. I know Spike Lee has done it, but it's just done it better.
Speaker 2: Than other movies. It just wasn't done well.
Speaker 3: He he didn't, like you said, the performance of it didn't take away from it, but like you here.
Speaker 2: It's just like, bro, why is this plain? Well?
Speaker 1: Anyway, we found out that they kidnapped the wrong son, and they because of the head band, the Green head Bands, and Trey was returned and Kyle was the one that was actually kidnapped, and aceaps still on it to seventeen five, and then it became all about whether or not Paul was gonna or not Paul, but David was gonna pay the ransom.
Speaker 4: What a SAP was killing me? I didn't even I didn't look at the credits. The second I heard his voice, I was like, oh that's a sap.
Speaker 2: Rocky. I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: I love you Asap, but you can't act for ship, even if you're just on a phone call, you can't. I love your music all that you're whatever, but oh my god, anything he said, I was like, Bro, this sounds like a Toob.
Speaker 2: Movie, Like what the fuck are by watching was presenting? Is to be real? Is you ain't? You ain't the king Nigga? I'm the King Nikkele. Fuck that Nickel.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh my god, bro, even when he returned the sun, I didn't like how they did that when he was like, no, I was I'm talking about when they returned in me the figure they had the room the first at the beginning, yeah, before Yeah, it an't take long. Turned quickly ba oh that's right in the basement whatever the parking girl y Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: It was weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was like, yeah, you'll explain what's going on? How did how did they mistakenly had It was just weird? How are they acting like this with Jeffrey Wright? Were supposed to just ride with it? And how Yeah, like, bro, hold on, where is he just said, man, what is what is happening?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 3: Didn't even explain it? It was the way the cops were acting. It's like Spike Lee was going way overboard with showing how awful cops. It was like, Bro, this doesn't even.
Speaker 2: Seem normal natural. Nothing about this makes sense.
Speaker 3: And and and Jeffrey Wright is honestly an amazing actor.
Speaker 2: How did y'all make him so bad? It's crazy?
Speaker 4: It's gonna work out in sa And then God, let us ask go to punch that dude.
Speaker 2: This whole film? Why are you doing this to him.
Speaker 3: Because that was what the That's what it felt like they were trying to that they looked at differently, even though I you know, Mayhem was looking at him look differently, like do I know you?
Speaker 2: Do you? They look familiar?
Speaker 3: You remember that even the black guy was looking at him a little weird.
Speaker 2: To rest this dick. It didn't even sound natural. Jeffright is so good? Why being changed? It's like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: They wouldn't let him go make the movie make some kind of sense. Spike Lee, why are the cops not letting him walk up with Denzel if you.
Speaker 2: Know his own Like what fuck man?
Speaker 4: This didn't seem like a Spike Lee film, did not? Yea, this is so subpar for Spike Lee.
Speaker 2: I don't understand.
Speaker 3: I feel like he needed to kind of expand the team and get some younger writers that people didn't know.
Speaker 2: It just seemed like he was an old man making this movie. That's exactly what period Jason to me, like it felt Tyler period. Jason. Yes, I had a feeling. I'm like, what the fuck is going on?
Speaker 4: I thought, is that what he's going for? This felt like Straw was like, is that what he's trying to go for because Straw had such a big buzzer.
Speaker 3: It was like, I'm too far in my bag and Tyler period, like he says, I make movies for certain type of people.
Speaker 2: We usually gonna do that. Like even though he has.
Speaker 3: A style and he got a certain bag, it's still more palatable than this is. It's like, are you just doing like you just spiked me and just wanted to do this.
Speaker 2: It's crazy. This was depressing. It was what you gotta think about.
Speaker 1: The overall conversation about paying the ransom versus not paying the ransom.
Speaker 4: That was yeah, because that was like a really big dilemma in the first film. Then the original it's this whole dilemma, Okay, do I pay the money even though it's not my son? You know, how are the public going to treat me? I thought that they were going to go further with it, and I was excited. I got excited about the movie at that point. I was said, Oh, no, that's interesting because on one hand, you do it and you get the reception that you have. But like I mentioned, I thought the film showed it. He was very concerned about his legacy and now I got the money to apply this to the legacy like he wanted to. But people ain't gonna look at me the same like I want them to if I use the money like I want. So I thought that was a really interesting conversation. I thought his decision making or thought process of it was interesting. I just don't think it was executed.
Speaker 1: Well, even though wife was on board or questioning whether or not they should do it, which surprised me.
Speaker 4: I would question it too, though you have to question it's sure, okay, yes, definitely, and you got to question it.
Speaker 3: And like he said, this is my whole she was like, that's all the money we got, right, It's like damn, which she was like, I don't know, yeah, you know, but the sound was like, you know, it is our fault. You know, he's telling paying the money and all that.
Speaker 2: And he looked at him like that was a good thing that was on the one of the few killed that he had even undred Yeah, man, I've done that, like put my heads like yeah, you got you gotta run upon him, bro, Yeah, I'm not gonna put my hands on make him think you got on exact And I gotta learn bigger than right now. You know, I'm like ten years. I'm a second right now, right now, you might feel like you big. This was like the way the scene ended. Oh yeah, yeah, my dad got the best is in the business.
Speaker 5: Dramatic, dramatic party fast.
Speaker 2: You're right.
Speaker 6: It was a long Yeah, it was like what what okay, okay, I forget yeah right the coldest hot people.
Speaker 3: Laughed out loud about they laughed out. I know y'all saw it on Apple, but I went to the theater.
Speaker 4: Man, they laughed out loud when he said that he should have came back in there and beat your ass. That corny, but he fixing his chart.
Speaker 2: I gotta fix this door. I got door. What what's wrong with the door? It was creaking? That was it? Get the improvised It couldn't have been he couldn't.
Speaker 3: They wrote that, yeah, because otherwise while they make the door creaky.
Speaker 2: They wrote that. I think they wrote him acting and heard it like yeah, I think it's just because you're not gonna own this scene. I don't get the last word funk that. I'm densil what y'all pay the money? Though, Yeah, I was really thinking about this, bro.
Speaker 3: I was like, I was like, man, I don't know what it would have guys seventeen nine millions, man, like I ain't doing I'm sorry, but no guarantee you're going to get that, especially you already know the cops know they can't. They ain't competent that I came in every man, So what let's just say you're gonna intend to get the money.
Speaker 5: And then Jeffrey Wright was like, you know, I'm good Like I like the response, right, talking about I'm not gonna get this back, talking about so you can't even count that he got less than million something we couldn't call it's.
Speaker 3: Crazy to think in wider terms about it. You risking your family, stability, your whole life's work for somebody else's child, grown ass, damn their child. I don't know if I could have brought myself to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if I had, I just gotta look at me crazy. If I had thirty four million, h I had a little bit more, I could do it.
Speaker 3: But that being I thought that was that was cool that they put the emphasis on like it's basically all of his money if he did it.
Speaker 2: So that's the part.
Speaker 4: But yeah, you had to look at it like this though, like it was his godson. Yeah, it wasn't just like it was your son's buddy. It was like, that's your godsons, that's basically your kid. Because because they put the exhibition somewhere in the movie where they said something like you got some great kids and he's like, yeah, two of them regular son and.
Speaker 2: God son, And I was like, who says that? Right now? We see why they put that because they were going to.
Speaker 4: Go back to it. So I thought that that dilemma was actually really interesting. That was something that was different from the original, which I'm not going to give men spoilers obviously, but there it wasn't a god's son situation.
Speaker 2: It was just my driver's kid.
Speaker 4: So I thought them adding that gave it more of an element of well, I see why you're struggling with whether or not you should do this.
Speaker 3: Just answer your question like if it was like my my my best friend's uh daughter or whatever, like yeah.
Speaker 2: I can't, I can't. I can't live with that, like knowing I got the.
Speaker 3: Money to have her release, and even if it was all your money, I think so, I think so if I'm able to do it for my son, I got to be able to do it for for her, he said, he said, you know, he's talking to Patrick said, I mean, you know how his words nowadays, they'll be going up, they'll be talking about something else in the week.
Speaker 2: It was kind of right.
Speaker 4: That was they did a real good job of making Denzel look like a piece of ship.
Speaker 2: That's what I was like, Oh, back, he's really in a piece of ship.
Speaker 3: He's really trash. Yeah, he ain't even like he didn't even care. Bro, Like he was just like nah, he said no, he said, ain't even my son. He said they made a mistake.
Speaker 2: Was like, all right. It was like, damn, what I do is Spike was a tough call to mate. Bro. That was don I was about to say that because it is that was no way.
Speaker 3: At you said the choir part, We're gonna get out bitted by Moto, that's the thing, Like she's going.
Speaker 2: Paid. Immediately came up like hot, that's what he told the cop.
Speaker 3: He said, keep negotiating, right, dirty negotiating what my son? Bro. I felt then was foul for David King was fouled for not doing it.
Speaker 2: So so you would do it? Yeah, you almost have to.
Speaker 3: Okay, I was watching I was like, really, not even gonna do this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's crazy. I was like that. He was like fit sing.
Speaker 1: So when he agreed to do it, I was surprised, were you guys?
Speaker 2: See I missed something.
Speaker 3: So when he went in the room and was talking to Jimmy Hendricks James, which was one of the worst I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: That was what do I do? James? What about you? What about?
Speaker 3: What the fuck is this?
Speaker 2: I was playing for him the talk back.
Speaker 3: That's why I think, you oh man, because he thinks of when if he was talking to the pictures on the wall, famous people. Yeah, and then he brought his pictures down and had them talking to each other.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what is happening? And he was almost crying at the table or at the little dak or whatever he was he was. He didn't sell that. No, no, no, I thought he was. I thought he was play crying. I did. I was like, why is he doing that to be a comedic scene? Yeah, I didn't know he was real to the cop walk supposed to be real? I was.
Speaker 4: But see when the cops said, just say you're gonna do it, I thought he was doing yes, me too, me too. I didn't think he was going to mean to do it, So.
Speaker 2: I was confused.
Speaker 3: He said say, they say that you're going to do it, so they to give us more time. Yes, But then they went to him withdrawing the money, right, and I was like.
Speaker 2: What this here? Nothing?
Speaker 1: It just said, yeah, well we'll do it. It's go ahead and tell him trey. Trey said, we'll pay the money. That's when Jeffery.
Speaker 2: Right here on the get on his knees so they could plan the sting operation. Hm. Maybe it was so they could play the sting operation. Tell him you do it. We're playing the sting operation. But that still got it.
Speaker 3: But he's still got the money, US police money to do it, right, I want to catch you.
Speaker 2: I thought that's what they did.
Speaker 4: I thought in situations like that, I thought they wouldn't use police mark bills.
Speaker 2: I give them mark bills to do.
Speaker 3: That's what every movie that I've seen, right, And it ain't a big ass tracker in it. It's like, oh, here's the track, like put a small little fucking bug in and something like like like you can clearly see ther fucking trackers in there. Like this ship was stupid. It was real stupid.
Speaker 2: They just the standard spightly shot.
Speaker 1: He was like, okay, so I was gonna go and then he did all breakdown.
Speaker 3: It was cool to see that because you're waiting, you're waiting for this.
Speaker 2: But they did it to the wrong person. They did it to the fucking black cop. Yeah. I'm like, no, we don't need to float scene for the black cop. We even care about him.
Speaker 3: We don't even like him, we like him at all because at least the brother moves on when he came in the.
Speaker 2: Room or something. Yeah, yeah, I had some interesting Yeah, he would have delivered it better. Yep. Absolutely, because he's actually a good actor. Yeah, yeah I did. I don't think he was bad, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what did you have to think about?
Speaker 2: The plan?
Speaker 3: They had to actually get the money because one of the things that they were saying was they were like because I was thinking the same thing too.
Speaker 1: It was like, this guy really can't be that stupid. Yeah, like to say, just bring the money here and it will do this change, Like, you have to have some type of plan.
Speaker 3: I thought playing it actually was smart to hit the subway break, make them full and stumble and then asap plan was Yeah, I thought it was pretty smart.
Speaker 2: But the dropping another bag off of braids, would y'all drop that bag like that? He no thig.
Speaker 3: That bag would have been on my body like that seventeen million wouldn't have left and know.
Speaker 2: Oh I dropped it. Nah, that's the point. I would have tied it to my wrist.
Speaker 4: Like the plan itself was dope. It was such an interesting plan until you stop and think about it. If a motherfucker had a backpack for a seventeen mili, he's not holding it by one strip.
Speaker 2: That's crazy, I would feel for real before I would have been the Andrew Spider Man. And then No Way Home ship. I'd have dove.
Speaker 3: Off that bit like this ain't no fucking way, I'm just dropping a bag of seventeen bill.
Speaker 2: That ship made no sense.
Speaker 4: But watching it, I thought it was super dope, super dope, the way they did that whole scene, especially with I mean, we didn't need Rosie. Oh no, Rosie o'donald Rosie Perez and Andrew Relmos kind of ham fisted it, but it was fine. But when they went from that to the train and then the music, the Puerto Rican music, and then the dude's chanting, I thought, now that Spike Lee. That is fucking prime Spike Lee. That whole scene, the way it was done.
Speaker 2: Was amazing, amazing.
Speaker 4: But when he dropped the money and the dude caught it and then threw it over the thing, I was like.
Speaker 2: That was really dope. But Denzel didn't seem that concerned. He isn't concerned enough for me. If you just dropped your life savings, I need a I need that. But he was just like, you give my money? Who got to get my money back? What? This is your king? It's like y'all talk about his best accurate what.
Speaker 3: So they took the tracker and threw it out the bag, assuming, yeah, but the tracker is still I was like, the track.
Speaker 2: Is still in the bag.
Speaker 3: They must have took the big ass tracker out of the back and then the tracker just disappeared.
Speaker 4: I think that's why he specifically said, put it in a Jordan bag.
Speaker 2: Now he didn't say what color.
Speaker 4: I don't think, but I think that's why he specifically said have it in a Jordan bag, because they can already have a Jordan bag ready for the swap.
Speaker 3: And then once they swapped, they take the tracker out and put it in the other bag. That's what they I don't think that, yes, we didn't see that happen the words and the signal was lost, Like, why was the signal? That's why I thought they took the tracker out the back. Even if you take the track out of the bag, while was the signals?
Speaker 2: When was the signal loss?
Speaker 3: He was when Mayhem was trying to find it, Hm, it was said, no signal on the tracker.
Speaker 2: You said, yeah, I lost the signal on the on the tracker.
Speaker 4: Maybe they turned it off while they were putting it in another bag and then turned it back on to throw the cent off.
Speaker 2: I don't know, or it's just.
Speaker 3: Bad because I'm because I'm like, he's gonna catch them, Like, you know, I thought the more pad stuff, whatever they had was was good. And I thought that I thought Mayhem was going to shoot that cop shooting after God, shoot that black shoot that guy he found the on the mopad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was kind of leading up to that. That might have made it more interesting, but yeah.
Speaker 3: And then they wouldn't find a way to get Coyle, and blah blah blah was like, oh, you're going to shoot the only person they have and none of that happened because again the vibes he was giving up anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they got it. They got cole back, We got surprises. They let him go. I was I thought he was going to kill him. I didn't think they were going to kill him because at this point I was like, oh, these aren't real. I think I thought they were going to let him go.
Speaker 3: And he was just trying to prove a point because dude, we Denzel's character. He had ran into him earlier obviously, and he was just trying to tup a point and make him suffer like he was suffering.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know, yeah what Yeah, I was. I was.
Speaker 1: It was good to see him let go and he got back reunited and stuff like that. The ransom was a good thing for the business, but also a bad thing for the business because business is business. And he used that money that he got to finance buying his state for something else, and the financing company was like that shit's good, but we want our money.
Speaker 3: And what's happening. How did it come up so quickly? Is it because the amount was in the news.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everything was in The finance company responded, saying, well, that was supposed to be our money. Yeah, and that's why they accused him of fraud, which legally it probably was. Huh, And David was like, no, not David, but uh, they guy.
Speaker 4: From the Wires on I don't remember his name in this the guy from the Wire, guy from the Wire betides.
Speaker 2: Oh I forgot. I forgot he was yea they did.
Speaker 4: I didn't need that at all. I didn't need that. Who the fuck still does that?
Speaker 2: People still doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, still run into somebody, but yeah, I was like, what.
Speaker 2: In the world? That was one thing too? Did you think Denzel was acting like too young? Yeah? I thought he was little.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm wondering if that was because he was still in the music is I think that's what That's what I thought, though, like it was given Russell Simmons.
Speaker 2: That's what Simmons don't be like doing all the extra ship.
Speaker 4: I can see, I can see. I could absolutely see when he was still alive. I could see Quincy Jones doing that really yeah, because Quincy Jones was cool, but I could see him being kind of corny at times.
Speaker 1: And this guy was grew up with Elson with hip hop too, so some of that stuff is just kind of just who he is. So that's why you said Russell Simmons, I think that's that's that's great comparison.
Speaker 2: But I do feel you because there was like seventy something.
Speaker 3: Russell Simmons quiet, but like he can he give off nigga two sometimes, like you could tell that, you know what I'm saying, He don't really just modify his behavior just because he in big boardrooms and stuff like that, And I feel like this character was the same way.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So Patrick comes in, uh, moves on, and then some white guy stand or whatever his name was, and they basically Denzel was like, hey, you know, deal's back on.
Speaker 1: We can do the deal. And Patrick's like, nah, we good. Business is good because of what you did. So we're straight. We don't need to do the deal anymore. So we're back on top. Which this was kind of confusing to me because didn't he buy hit Patrick Steak in the company?
Speaker 3: Did he not sign the paperwork, because if he did, he owns controlling interest in the company, So how was he unable or unaware of what was going on with.
Speaker 2: I just assume he didn't do it yet or something. I don't know. I don't know. You have to make a lot of assumptions for this movie, Yes you do. There was This was a big pitch movie.
Speaker 3: Not a lot of details that like, I don't think Spike Lee worked on the details overall premise.
Speaker 2: No, he didn't. Didn't. But if well, and I had to talk myself into it.
Speaker 1: I was like, well, if you're still own the company and sales and stuff was good, then why are you tripping?
Speaker 2: But he needed the money as to pay it back? Uh so damn. So that's that's why.
Speaker 3: That's because I was like, okay, well I did he needed things got rocky. I was like, fun, business is good, but he needed the seventeen to five to pay back in two weeks, so he needed it right away.
Speaker 2: So anyway, so all this going on, blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: Then the best music ears, the best ears in music rise listening to his song Yes that they asked Cayle about, He's.
Speaker 2: Like, he kept playing this one song over and over again. You know, it turns out it was this song. It clearly sounds like the caller dude, very fucking unique voice, like he's just cracked the case.
Speaker 3: Like cle But once again, I'm not gonna forget my why were the cops.
Speaker 2: Acting like that? He came he came in and was like, I figured out the song. They're like, we don't need that. Just leave. What what do you mean it's protocol? How is it protocol? Listen to the fucking song? At least?
Speaker 3: And when the black cop was being such a dick, I was like, I don't understand what's started thinking, Okay, maybe they really changed the whole story and these guys aren't actually cops. I was like, maybe these guys are part of a SAPs team and they did.
Speaker 2: It because did have tim. I don't know if.
Speaker 3: His tongue kind of pulled. He was New York under Couplespike. He was, he was, he was Torres throwing nuts. Dude, I know that man ain't in his life.
Speaker 2: I think he has that man, where's he from?
Speaker 3: Is he from New York? Everybody from yours? That's so PASSI even cops.
Speaker 1: So yeah, So the cops were being assholes for whatever reason. This didn't make any sense to me that I was confused. This on the nose name of the rapper, Young Felon. I want to throw my phone against the I was.
Speaker 2: Like, are you all serious? Man? Are you serious? I just I was like, no way, you're doing this, bro? You really named him Young Felon? Like, come on, man, he comes.
Speaker 3: Back in with the song. I think this is the guy is this is a song? So it's like yeah, and it's a rapper.
Speaker 2: Named Young Felon from New York.
Speaker 3: See he's war teams. He's sixty one years old. It was good for six years a white guy. But yeah, this this ship was really aggravating.
Speaker 2: So did you like the song? You don't like the song? I liked it. When they played it later in the moment, I was like, this is trash. That's when I was asking.
Speaker 1: I think I was gonna text you and ask you if you heard it because I listened to the single before the movie game.
Speaker 2: It was released as a single. Yeah, this is nice. I like this. It was a big rock fandom. That's crazy. It's not like it being but still that's not I like the song. This song sounds good.
Speaker 3: It's like everything else do not. Really it was a little different. I'm surried you don't like him. He's very Southern sounded, so I'm surprised you didn't mess with him.
Speaker 2: But I was surprised. The song wasn't bad.
Speaker 4: But it was like it just it just aggravated me because it's like, bro, so y'all were playing your own music.
Speaker 2: Around the dude. That was when I said go ahead.
Speaker 3: So we are under the ass that they kidnapped him and had him in the studio while they were recording.
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 3: What was Either that or they were just playing the song at the stash house.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but either way, it's like, Bro, this is this is just getting ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Okay, you thought that was ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Oh how ridiculous was it for a convicted felon and a music mogul to go get their own money back?
Speaker 2: I was so done at this. I was like, are y'all serious? The streets way? I was like, what what? The streets seventeen much the studio to record some songs?
Speaker 4: Seventeen When Jeffrey Wright was texting, who's this nigga?
Speaker 2: I was like, you don't say nigga like that? I know you don't.
Speaker 4: This just felt weird. You don't type nigga like that. You said, who is this young man?
Speaker 2: That's what you type? Jeffrey, Right, there's no way they're going to get the money.
Speaker 3: And they roll up on the apartment, and the apartment you saw the number they were living in.
Speaker 2: You're lying, no, it wasn't.
Speaker 7: Probably twenty four brom Like, I was so fucking.
Speaker 3: When I saw this, Are y'all fucking status bro twenty four? This movie's asked, Yeah, I thought that was card to b For a second.
Speaker 2: That didn't look like she's so cute, but she's not rapping. I was like, she looked there and had closing right. Yeah, she just looked very calm and meek. And I was like, oh, I, Spice is so shoe.
Speaker 3: You got to see her in her new video Horny to see that ship.
Speaker 2: I've killing me with that ship. I'm telling you that one on what's a video with her? No mommy? Yeah? Absolutely? Yeah is the mom in the video? No?
Speaker 1: But anyway, So I had the whole conversation with the girl. We understand the relationship between David and and young fella who named his kid David. She has the cardio bra slid on and stuff like that, and all this other stuff that was so.
Speaker 2: And then they go to the uh to the studio. She told everything and then a dog almost got Denzel. Why was this in the movie? Why was this in the movie? What are you doing? What are y'all doing? Even like a vicious dog dog like he wanted to play.
Speaker 3: Was not even part and aggressive he did, and his face didn't even look mean, like not like a regular people.
Speaker 2: He looked like, oh my god, bro, this ship was so stupid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and uh so anyway, so yeah, so ace happened in uh Denzel Denzel have.
Speaker 2: A conversation and it's a lot of preaching. Is the conversation was the rap battle and a rap battle, like I'm like this, it's a little it went long, but it was. It wasn't bad, but it went a little long. It did go a little long.
Speaker 3: I was just like, damn, y'all, y'all, y'all really milked this one. Y'all really milked this one because it could have been a really good scene.
Speaker 4: Like but yeah, y'all, look it went a little long and y'all milked it. But no, yeah, I agree with percent. Yeah it went a bit too long. I was just like, all right, bro, I'm really supposed to believe Denzel's up here rapping like this right right?
Speaker 2: This is this is a little I like the acknowledgement in it. It was like, what are we having a battle?
Speaker 3: Now? You waited too long to say that because I said that right when he started raping?
Speaker 2: What are we doing? Right? Now right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so yeah, he was like, oh you hollow, lonely quiet.
Speaker 1: That's what I want to hear about, not the outside. I want it was inside outside.
Speaker 3: You know, he's did the whole father line and.
Speaker 2: He's like, yeah, should add like the hook, like you know where my fucking money like that? Ol. That sounds like some ship can't just say to his tongue, make the hook? Wisheal got damn back? Like I said, some bar right, because second I thought it was gonna give some really fight I did. I really did YO know that ship like yo.
Speaker 4: I was paused when like the sucking the buddy left the guy that was recording. I paused for a minute. I rounded back because I must have missed something. The dude left and never came in the door.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know you're not calling nobody. You ain't got back. We had a cold conversation about the hood bro. So he was like, I'm not gonna go snitch. I'm going to get in the halmies. I don't.
Speaker 3: I think he probably was just an engineer. Maybe he was a part of the team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we see, okay, okay.
Speaker 3: Just trying to make because I was I was like, bro, why are you just gonna yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know that makes sense because yeah, but yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, m yeah that would happened to our boy facts that would We're not gonna s awfoy. That wouldn't have happened. Keep it right there, bro hurting the door knocks, hurt talking about most of Yeah, most of them. They don't play. They put it right there just in case you thought something was going I do.
Speaker 2: More than mixed.
Speaker 3: I killed my fucking play with me if you want to specific equipment in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it seemed like, you know, I don't know, it's weird, this whole conversation they were having.
Speaker 3: I was like, is he gonna convince him to.
Speaker 1: Change his life or whatever? I don't know, but you know, I was like, nah, to shut at him. And then there's this whole.
Speaker 3: Chasing this when I got mad, go ahead, go ahead, got old As chasing his young ass man like he got them.
Speaker 2: Like mission mission impossible. God, I'm like, and that was I said, there's no way you're gonna catch this kid.
Speaker 3: Why that's not a good idea, Like that's just not a good idea writing it, directing it, like even the actor should be.
Speaker 2: And that's after he shot the old boy.
Speaker 3: He shot at the window, and then because I thought I was remember that, he said, let me get that four hours and then he said Jeffery Wright pulled.
Speaker 2: Out a bigger game. Was like, what is that? He was like, what is Mayhem? Right here?
Speaker 3: He said Jake from State Form That one was funny, Yeah, and then he said Mayhem man.
Speaker 2: I didn't like it.
Speaker 4: Oh you like this Jake Froul State Farm, like the Mayhem part of referencing the dude that's in the movie.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that was him in the movie, so I thought it was I thought it was a funny line.
Speaker 2: So corny man. But he ain't ship Jeffrey right. Yeah, he didn't know. He didn't. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just looked up and he shot the glass and the glass flew in his eye. I didn't want it back to because the movie did not make it clear until he started yelling about his eyes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought he actually legit shot him.
Speaker 3: I thought they got him because I was like, why did you open the car door and just fall out the car like that?
Speaker 2: If you get somebody shooting at you and the door and my thing is like you made him look hard.
Speaker 3: The whole movie like tall, big ship the whole Max, I'm gonna suck this kid up, and I ain't gonna lie to you'aup.
Speaker 2: You even make it to the point you just put hands on nobody in his He put hands on his eye, was on his eye. End up in the in the hospital bed with a patch on. They shot me in the eye. All the class in my eye. Get that motherfucker. Then he repeat it this class in my eye? Who are you talking to? Who are you talking to? Then El's gone, yeah, yeah, God damn, Spike, what did you do?
Speaker 3: So they end up on the subway and forever reason Asap ended up on top of the subway.
Speaker 2: What fig surfa, Well he's swags surfing on the fucking train. Spider man, now bro.
Speaker 3: Then he jumped down on this zeil and they fight between the cars and whoop his ass and then on top of they was.
Speaker 2: Like, let me go, let me go. I want to I don't want to live. I'm like, where did this come from? Even the same dude, that little nigga too, you need your money. He still had money, and then he just he whooped his ass.
Speaker 4: I'm so fucking sorry, Denzel not beating asap Rocky's ass.
Speaker 2: I don't funk.
Speaker 4: How cool y'all think, Denzel is, this was the most unrealistic ship I have seen in the movie, says Nigga Bird beat the Hulk.
Speaker 2: They were just you know, Mike when he was in the car.
Speaker 6: Yeah, oh that's not You don't touss the old hand when in the car, like you don't funk.
Speaker 2: With the old But the fact that you beat him, that that easy.
Speaker 4: No, dude, And he kicked him into all types of ship man. And the music was all triumphant, dunt dun dune.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, this was one of the worst scores I've ever heard in my life.
Speaker 2: You keep hating the music. I didn't think the music was that bad. I thought it took away. It was awkward. It made the movie like it was. Yeah, it was it. Probably the movie actually probably could have been a little bit better. Better, the score was better. Yeah, I'm with you on that. Interesting. So anyway, Yeah, so we get the money back.
Speaker 1: Boys in the in there with his eye messed up, he declined the job.
Speaker 2: He said, I'm gonna do something else.
Speaker 4: You're not gonna make a joke about my fucking fucked up eye. Right after it happened. I'm fucking you up, dude, he.
Speaker 2: Called him dog.
Speaker 3: He made like four jokes after what you just did about I don't really want to pay the money to get your son back, and then you got jokes about me getting glass.
Speaker 2: I'm beating your asses, Zell, I'm beating your ass. I'm beating your ass. I love it. Yeah, come on, man, Yeah, some time with my son Kyle.
Speaker 3: And finally they got around to uh, you know, oh no, then after this he went to see uh, a young fella in jail. Oh yeah, this this movie should have ended. Yes, it sounded like this felt like a director. I like the singing part.
Speaker 1: So I'm talking about the conversation that comes like, yeah, I want to point this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we just had this conversation in the booth. Y'all literally just did this, Like I literally just.
Speaker 4: Like, y'all got to cut this out because that's how the the OG ends, with them having a conversation like that. That's not spoiler, but that's how it. But in the OG, the conversation is so much more interesting. It's it's it's an amazingly done scene and the way it ends seals the movie being great.
Speaker 2: That's what Spike was going for it was just bad. It would have been all right if we didn't just see it.
Speaker 3: Yes, we just saw that, and you know, you know what if that if that's how it is in an og, you should just cut this so now.
Speaker 2: And that made the booth that scene. It's like you did it twice. Why. It's like, it's like you pick one. I agree, you.
Speaker 3: Want to do the booth glass, you want to do this jail. So it's like, why did you do it? Like it just didn't make sense.
Speaker 4: I guess Spike Lee thought that, like this is a different conversation because he's actually trying to sell himself to Denzel at this point, and he's successful at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, he's in jail, but ironically successful.
Speaker 4: And it's making a commentary on how that hip hop is like that the more of a fella you are, the more of a bad guy you are, the more popular you are.
Speaker 2: So I did like the idea. It was it was just bad here. Yeah yeah, yeah, it just didn't go nowhere. And I'm surprised you like that music video. He probably like the ass flipping around in the back. I didn't see no music.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about the lady was saying, oh this this So after the there we get to Sula.
Speaker 3: Oh wait wait wait, but we're skipping over a very confusing part. So you before they got to the jail is doing a music video and it made no sense and he's in his felling out you missed all this ass, Spiker.
Speaker 2: It was about three women, he said about three because you couldn't. It was just so much ass Spike twelve, but it was about.
Speaker 3: Three Yeah, about to go wind and that's crazy was doing. Yeah, that's why I'm like, why are you skipping this?
Speaker 2: Because this was so confusing.
Speaker 3: He was dancing and then just skipped to the jail scene. It was like, what just happened?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I thought I was like, oh ship Denzel signed dude to stacking his and he's making money off of it.
Speaker 2: But this part happened before the conversation. Yeah, that's why I.
Speaker 4: Didn't make any I was like, oh okay, and I thought they were going back in time to see how this happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I was thinking. No, no, no, that's not what I was thinking. I was thinking that that. Yeah, I was thinking when he was going to talk to him, were going to talk about the success of the record. Yeah, yeah, it was like, oh his music video, this song that blew up because remember he was walking in JA was.
Speaker 2: Like, I ain't doing on minute in a minute and free, young fella. Free.
Speaker 1: You already talked about that, and then uh, the song comes out and there's a big hit, which you know, of course as reference what you just said, and then they're gonna talk about how successful the record is on top and when you ran out, because remember he was like, how many years are gonna get he said twenty five. He was like, he did say, that's not long enough.
Speaker 3: But I thought they worked out some deals where he would get out sooner and so he can make money off. So I'm confused the music video happened. Is that that's why did I don't know what you'a were talking about. I thought y'all was seeing a real video. I remember this. I thought that this was him dreaming of some ship.
Speaker 2: Right. I'm still I'm still not sure. I don't know he actual because he was in his jailhouse outfit. Yeah, so god, yeah, I don't know. I don't know how you would get people in there to record this video. I don't know was in jail the video. Not in jail.
Speaker 4: He is like a or something. He has his jail, sir, he got sense. Man, stupid, I don't get this part. This was stupid as fuck.
Speaker 2: Man, I didn't get this part.
Speaker 3: I didn't get the random clips of them three on the bench or whatever, the Denzel, his wife and the sun. They were just on the bench and kept putting that in Like I missed that.
Speaker 2: Oh it was yeah, it was just.
Speaker 3: Like like like a a montage, like a montage that they would do, like they did it like three times in the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were just sitting like this what you I didn't see this ship saw it. I was probably not paying attention after a while, But no, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it was just like like it was like you know how sometime they did like the old film. Look, yeah they did that like three or four times, or just them three on the bench. You remember this ship where was the bench? It was just we don't know, it was just random. I don't know why they did that. It was just a bunch of random artsy ship. Yeah, maybe that's what it was. He knew A twenty four had the interest, so he was trying to make it more artsy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I was trying to figure out women the shooler personally gonna come back around.
Speaker 2: And then when he decided.
Speaker 3: To go on his own and be back in love with the music, she was gonna be the love love him for him.
Speaker 2: And you know what you say, what does the C stand for? Can you know? That's cool? You gotta be good? You can't. I can't see anybody like this. I did, definitely, Yeah, I like the music. I didn't like the zip.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was come on, like nobody, come on, come on, come on, come on, come on.
Speaker 2: And then they say the name of the movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the songs called hold to lois Man, that's cool, that's cool.
Speaker 2: People know in No, they didn't, you know they they can't be the fuck up out of here bro. I would have been so mad if I went to see that in Bro pissed somebody. Yeah, it was so you know so yeah.
Speaker 1: So then so there's she and then again another black or cultural reference when Tony Morrison, how'd you get the name?
Speaker 2: Oh you're you're a family of readers? I see? She was like, nah, I don't read. Why was that necessary? I don't know. So I was trying to figure that out.
Speaker 3: But I'm trying to but this generation there are this generation does read.
Speaker 1: But it almost felt like, you know, you have the phones. Then it got David's not on the phone. You have her names after Tony Morrison, and there's a reading generation, but this generation, I guess, don't read. You have the music where it's all about the music and the soul, and then you have AI and attention is the currency. And it felt like there was like, then you have the old man chasing down a young man beating him up. So it's almost like this tale of two generations kind of clashy. But again I don't know why she said, Oh yeah, I don't read, like.
Speaker 4: I feel like only an old, detached man would write this.
Speaker 2: That's how I feel.
Speaker 3: Thought whole movie felt like Spike Lee out of touch and this was his commentary on how I see the world today and how kids fucking everything up, using the o G as a vehicle to tell this story. Yeah, because I didn't know anything about the original movie. This is my first you're talking about it now, it's my first time hearing about it, so I didn't.
Speaker 2: Know it was a remake at all.
Speaker 4: I don't I mean, I assume people maybe they don't, but I wouldn't even I don't even know if this would.
Speaker 2: Be any of y'all's thing. If it was an American film, maybe, but it was just so disappointing. It's based off a book to kings.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the movie itself was from I understand was based on a book. But again, it's not so much the story. It was just the way Kirassauer filmed it and edited it and directed it that just made it like, God, this is like who wants to watch an hour of legit to a living room?
Speaker 2: But when you watch the film.
Speaker 4: You're like, this is incredible, this, this story is fast. Fain never got there with this, not one single time. And you don't have to copy the original, dude to your own thing. Do something creative, but at least do something interesting and good. Like as much as I hated the Suspirior remake, at least they did something different this.
Speaker 2: Oh, we're just gonna put black people in it and just.
Speaker 4: Have a nowhere asked story. No, bro, the way this just ends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's do this. Oh what Tray said were my cut? Was my cut?
Speaker 1: And then the mom says she's gonna be part of it too, So we just a family business, which is kind of a reference to him being referred to as a NEPO baby when he got kidnapped. And he was also making the commentary about, oh well, dad, I can't ignore it's everywhere. It's everywhere, you know, the social media and stuff like that. So that was that commentary going on too.
Speaker 4: Did y'all know that was Jeffrey Rights. I'm pretty sure it was Jeffrey Wright's actual son. I did not know that unless it's just another Right, which would be random. But his last name was right in the credit, so I was like, oh, neat, hm mm hmm.
Speaker 2: This was whack whack. I think just losing this fast Wait what this is? Why wasn't the national I think people looked at this.
Speaker 4: One like yeah, I think so too, because a lot of people were confused before it came out. They're like, how is a Spike Lee Denzel film in limited showings?
Speaker 2: Because it's bad? Because it's bad, dude, that's why.
Speaker 3: He's losing his fastball. Yeah, you have to equalize it, equalizing straight.
Speaker 2: But he called himself something that y'all catch that.
Speaker 3: He didn't call himself to equalize, he called him Yeah, I don't think losing his I think Spike, I think, you know, I don't think his acting was great in here, but I don't either, you know. I think he's you brought up earlier. I think him and Tyler Perry is suffering from this Tyler period don't care. But I think this zel does care more about his legacy when he needs to involve younger people in his process, like Tyler Perry has his process. It's fine, you do it over, you make this type of move for these type of people. But again, Spike Lee, the name that that holds in the movie business. For black people to see this is very disappointing because it's just like, Oh, I'm gonna keep doing it my way how I always been doing it and it should work.
Speaker 2: Like nah, some of this stuff need to change. Yeah, But I'm looking.
Speaker 4: At his filmography, and his last actual film was The Five Bloods. Before that, his actual last film was Black Clansmen.
Speaker 2: I didn't like Black Clansmen.
Speaker 4: I really liked The Five Bloods, and I feel like both of those movies were regarded as really good. I think it's mixed reviews. It's from what I'm seeing. Because I was so confused, I had to go look. But yeah, some people are really loving it. Some people are thinking it's whack.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'm thinking about it because I saw the reason.
Speaker 1: Maybe I don't just remember the bad ones then, because if I do, Five Bloods was a bounce back. I think I do think people I do recall people lik him black class, but I didn't.
Speaker 2: Have loved it. I didn't like it. I didn't like it, but.
Speaker 1: I think I remember you guys not liking it that much. But so, yeah, so I don't know.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, I missed this movie. He has a movie called Passover there I never even saw. That's rated decently high. So maybe I need to go watch this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, I don't know why he got this so wrong. Man, Like you had the right elements. I think the potential was definitely there.
Speaker 4: I think that he should not have gone off the fact that I'm remaking a movie.
Speaker 2: He shouldn't have done that.
Speaker 4: He should have just been like, this is inspired, I'm gonna make my own story. But I feel like he thought he had to stick to the story and then but just make it black, Like you can't just make some shit black sund like a trumper.
Speaker 2: You can't just make me shit black.
Speaker 4: And be like, well, that's good enough. And that's what it felt like Spike Lee did here. It's like I'm just gonna make black people involved in this.
Speaker 2: That's gonna be good enough. We still want good.
Speaker 3: Stories, yes, yeah, yeah, treating us like come on man anyway, but that's it, man, Let us know what you guys think about spikes Uh, Spike Lee's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's the.
Speaker 3: Little transition thing they had with the woman with the locks going across the screen, Like, yeah, it's like it was like a transition. It was like like corny Star Wars transitions. It was like a woman with dreads going across. It was like a logo Jeffrey right hand.
Speaker 2: What.
Speaker 3: Yes, it was in the movie. Yes, it was in the movie. They did it like two or three times.
Speaker 2: I didn't see that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And they did the Star Wars one one time too, with the circle. I saw that one did not look good, right, that one didn't look good.
Speaker 2: You know, I missed.
Speaker 3: The the transition with the with the it's like a woman's head with I'm assuming its locks and I'm assuming it was like branding purposes.
Speaker 2: And then did.
Speaker 3: Y'all get the Rick Fox and the Cops when he was shorter than that. I understand what's going on there. I thought he was sitting down. I thought it was probably like just author to the tative perspective.
Speaker 2: So they didn't nail that home because it looked weird as hell.
Speaker 4: The cops weren't even really like being assholes, like the one guy asked when autograph and every guy was like, no, I'm good, And.
Speaker 1: It was only because he's a selfish man, not because he was racing.
Speaker 2: Right, So yeah, that didn't really What are we supposed to pull from that?
Speaker 3: I guess because Rick Fox is tall, and he's clearly taller than the cops, So I thought like he was trying to trying to show some sort of like inferior type of situation to the you know, up against cops.
Speaker 2: You could have done that with I mean, just get this shit out of here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like he was trying to do a little shit like that's I think he was trying to be artsy in some moments and it just didn't work.
Speaker 2: It didn't work. He's done artsy. He did artsy so much better in like school days. Yeah, bamboozled or school days, he did artsy. It's like, what are you doing? Here, come off, Spike. You can do better than this, bro.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we'll leave it there man. We'll catch you guys next time. We got peace.