Speaker 1: Doing great man, Thanks for having me out here.
Speaker 2: My brother walk us through it so far? How has it been?
Speaker 3: I mean hell, I mean you're two days deep into this process so far, But how has it been?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Two days, four nights. I mean it's been great. I mean just getting in here, getting settled in obviously, trying to make it home as quickly as possible. And it's been great. I mean, getting to meet the guys even more, getting closer and tighter with them, and just going out there and doing my thing, playing the sport I love. So I can't complain right now?
Speaker 3: Does it make it any more special because you landed with your hometown team?
Speaker 2: There's definitely something behind it.
Speaker 1: I mean obviously I not know what it is until later on or right now. I mean, it could be little, it could be big, but I know there's something behind it, and I know it's just all God's blessing and just got to make the most of it, come out he every day and compete.
Speaker 3: Now, did you have to pinch yourself when you first heard that they were going to draft you back in the spring of the draft? You goll wow, you got to be kidding me right here? Was that the destination you thought or might there have been another destination for you at that time.
Speaker 1: Ever since I saw that three one seven call call al Idy, I knew, uh, I first saw it was a prank call, but after it I definitely, uh, just kind of it all sank in at the same time and felt I blacked out for about three minutes. It wasn't real. And uh, I mean after it all of a sudden done. I mean, it's definitely just such a surreal moment I got to take in.
Speaker 3: Every day Kat and Curry joins us suddeny Andy Mora Automotive Group Potline training camp at drop Bly Grand Park up in Westfield and going on right now.
Speaker 2: I'm curious too.
Speaker 3: You have met every single challenge at every level and probably have been told in the past. Yeah, you know what, I don't know if this is going to be for you and you've proven people wrong. Is this just another kind of rung in that particular ladder of trying to get to where you want to go? And really it seems like the environment in which you thrive a great deal as a part.
Speaker 1: Of Yeah, I mean, obviously I'm not going to shy away from competition and battles. I mean you got to practice, You got to make mistakes to get him corrected. You just can't make the same mistake twice. And I feel like that's why I do such a good job at and just being a great teammate. Obviously, you want to be the guy that everybody likes being around and just making sure you take all the advice you can get, be a sponge as I've been hearing around here, and just soaking it all up and really just making the most of it every day, taking one day at a time, and just working aside as they possibly can.
Speaker 3: All right, now, you're going to have to head the old man some advice here, if you wouldn't mind. So I'm not a mistake free I make mistakes all the time, and then I compound those mistakes by making them again. So how do you how do you compartmentalized mistakes and then move on from them to not make them again? Because to me, somebody like me, Kayden, that seems to be a special skill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, obviously I still make mistakes. Everybody's human, but it's just I mean from a football aspect, it's the mental reps. It's the reps outside of practice, it's the reps in.
Speaker 4: The meeting room.
Speaker 1: It's just making sure that you keep going over until it's kind of engraved in your head. And obviously it sounds a lot to you eas you're said and done, and then you got to actually be the one that's going to go out there and do it. You can say a lot, but are you actually going to do it? So that's really what I kind of go at and just making sure that I get my extra time in and uh, just praying.
Speaker 2: Are you always prepared?
Speaker 3: Have you been a guy that not just in sports, but just in all fastest of life? Do you always feel like you're somebody that's going into whatever situation it is prepared.
Speaker 1: I'm always thinking about the worst before I go out there, and then obviously preparing for the best. You got to see both sides, and you got to see how you want to see it, and you kind of got to manifest what you want, and you also got to prepared prepared for things to go wrong. And then that's when you kind of have your backup plan and obviously you don't want to go to it, but uh, I mean it's always got to be there setting stone just so you're ready.
Speaker 2: Kayden, Where do you get your competitive gene.
Speaker 1: I love to say for my parents, but it's also from God too. I feel like that's kind of my special ability. He gave me just to keep going no matter what and just to embrace the grind. But I also give it to my parents and my brothers. My brothers especially girl. If I was the youngest, they definitely gave me the beat down in the backyard of the basketball court and just for a football and everything. They made sure that I was the youngest and that I knew every day.
Speaker 3: I often thought this that it benefited the younger kids that are playing when you get knocked around by the older dudes. And that's why when I played basketball as an old dude, we play with the younger guys as well, and it seems like they get better just by playing against an older group. Even if that older group has no chance of being as good as the younger person, it always seems to be beneficial when it comes down to competition.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean, if you're the young guy, then you can't compete with the older kids. You're not playing, so you had to step up and you had to be out there practicing, getting those extra reps just to be able to play with them. So my brothers always have so many friends over and they'd be doing basketball tournament, so I'd be out there two hours before and getting my shots out of being sure I wasn't letting the order hit the bigger kids down, so I had to make sure it hit my shots too.
Speaker 3: How big was Eric Moore in your life? You're high school coach at sine Grove. I have a great deal of admiration for him. He knows that too, and every player form player I talked to of his basically says the same thing. How would you describe your former high school head coach?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean just from the beginning kind of when I went in to play football at Synegram at the high school level, I was still kind of a baseball oriented guy. I thought that was my past, and he kind of just showed me the light. He showed me what it definitely needed to take to get to that level, and he just showed me how to embrace it, love the game and just from how hard a summer workouts are. But I mean, obviously you start you hate it, but when you get done, you definitely see the benefits and you see why you do it. And you see why it's so important to get out there and just do it every single morning. And just the way that he kind of mentally gave me the game of the life in life and sports. He taught me how to be a man. Obviously going through high school wasn't as big as it is going to college, but I mean he definitely made sure that I was college ready and just definitely just was prepared and just going into any situation with the most and maximizing the most out of every single day. He's definitely somebody important in my life in the early stages and definitely one of the strongest men in my foundation.
Speaker 3: By the way, when you hit four hundred foot bombs in baseball, people are going to view you as a baseball player. You realize that, right. I've heard the stories because Rick Clark has had the tape measure and he's measured your home runs and he's told me four hundred foot bombs.
Speaker 1: I bet they playing great music while doing.
Speaker 3: It way way too loud, probably and inappropriate.
Speaker 2: Ad that too.
Speaker 3: Kayden Curry's joining us something anymore Automotive Group Hotline. How much has Patient's been involved in all this too? And because of your preparation at Ohio State. How do you feel about going into your rookie season with the Colts Because you did wait your turn in Columbus and as we saw, it paid off big. You're really betting on yourself in this and it paid off for you. How do you get that patience and then how do you also take that patience to the NFL level?
Speaker 1: I feel like it's different. I mean in college, obviously, you know you have four years to kind of get it done.
Speaker 4: You know, you have.
Speaker 1: Your freshman year to kind of learn, your sophomore in junior year to kind of grow, and then your senior year to be dominant. That's kind of where I was kind of looking out of going into college. But here in the NFL you definitely have to just they're not looking for patients. You got to be urgent every single day. You got to earn your spot. I mean, there's only fifty three people that can go and there's only fifty three people that can play, so I mean you got to make sure that you make the most of every rep that you get and just minimizing the stakes. You can't make the same mistake twice. And obviously you got to grow as fast as possible. Obviously, the older guys are going to help you along the way and they have more knowledge than you. So you just like I said before, it's got to be a sponge and just embrace everything that's around us. And I mean really just just that grind. I mean, being patient is so many different ways to it. It's a mental aspect, that's the physical aspect. I mean, it's rely just doing as much as you can every single day to make sure that you're the best version of yourself and just fighting for it every single day.
Speaker 3: You get a lot of high schoo fans, a lot of people you grew up with that have checked you out up there.
Speaker 2: The first couple of days, approachice.
Speaker 1: I'm getting.
Speaker 4: I'm getting everything.
Speaker 1: The past two days, I've heard kids, you know, and I'm from North Central, I'm from Westfield. You beat me, you ran me over. I'm like, guys, come on the game, it's whatever. I'm getting a lot of it right now. I'm getting a lot of Fernando haters at me.
Speaker 3: Right now.
Speaker 4: I'm getting.
Speaker 3: No, you're not getting You're getting Mendoza haters because of that hitting the Big ten title game.
Speaker 2: Wow, that still comes in direction Huh, I.
Speaker 1: Just I just keep telling them, I'm just hey, I'm gonna I'm gonna make you some good memories here so we can just wipe them, wipe the past.
Speaker 3: Well, Dady fans, that was a hell of a hit, and he was the first one to say that that was an incredibly clean hit. But while that's a signature for you, you created a signature moment for him at the same time too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it definitely was a two way street. I mean, he's such a great player, and I mean I wish nothing but the best for him. But uh, it was on our it was on our game plan. I mean, kas Patricia told me, he said, if you guys want to beat these you guys, you got to take that quarterback out. And uh, I guess I took it very literal and had the opportunity first play. I mean, it wasn't it was definitely. Uh it was a hard hit, but I feel like it was clean and uh, I definitely made sure to check in on him the next couple of plays down in the drive. I mean, had those first couple of plays of the game, everything's just the adrenalines going.
Speaker 2: So did you check you checked in on him during the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, was down later that drive. I mean obviously he went out after that. I was gonna let the let this, let the medical staff get their time with them. I'm not gonna try to interfere during all that. But when he came down later down the drive, and made sure to check in on him, just to make sure he's knows that I wasn't trying to do it blatantly and dirty.
Speaker 4: So I was just making sure.
Speaker 2: Have you talked to him since that at all? About that?
Speaker 1: I saw him at the combine. But that dude come on his first pick. He's he's famous. So I gave him his his little area, gave him time to just be himself, and uh, I mean hopefully later on we got to see each other.
Speaker 2: I gotta love it, though all those people said, you ran me over, you und me down. You tell that's that's great. That is awesome.
Speaker 3: You I didn't even think about that dynamic, the local dynamic, because of the way and the level on what you played around here.
Speaker 2: That's that's pretty awesome. It's going to be gratifying as well.
Speaker 3: You got to laugh a little bit, don't you, because they're all going to be rooting for you here really soon?
Speaker 2: You know that?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean, I mean those guys are they grew up with me. They are guys that competed with me, and they that they were once playing with. I mean, we were a very dominant team center girl. We had more than just me. We had so many great defensive players that went to the next level, so many great offensive players, a few guys in the NFL. So I mean, honestly, just being able to play with those guys and be able to play the kids around here. I mean, everybody kind of just grew to be better versions of themselves. So, I mean, you see so many people from the indie level, and it's just why football's growing in Indiana out You just see so many players that are going on moving on to the next one. I feel like Indiana football is just kind of growing in all spects, and that's even high school, college and NFL. And that's just what we want as a as a state really, not even just teams alone, just everybody getting better and kind of growing to be one of those kind dominant football places that everybody want to watch high school football from the start.
Speaker 3: Well, listen, I've been told, but I know this to be true. You have a big fan sitting right here. I'm very excited for you, man, I'm very happy for you, obviously, proud and Coach Moore is a really good friend of mine and he's told me great things.
Speaker 2: I don't even have to tell you this.
Speaker 3: Go out and get them, continue to move forward, but hopefully we'll track you down again. But it's always a great conversation. We are incredibly happy for what you've accomplished.
Speaker 2: Keep going at it.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, man, I appreciate you. Cooking too is actually here out here today, so I just got to talk to him a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, telling me talk to JMV today and he'll probably cuss me out or something. Yeah, I will see you pal, all right, Take care, guys, you got it. Kitt and Curry right there, the Eddy Moore Automotive Group hootline.
Speaker 2: You guys are yelling Mendo's Adam and stuff out there. What are you doing? The ride with JMV?
Speaker 3: The Rights, the Ritz A story for ending in a football comes to conclusion what a football.
Speaker 2: Team that he's three five and one oh seven five.
Speaker 3: The fan that is our friend Don Fisher right there, the voice of the Hoosiers it's been a long time since Don and I and Susie have been together. Good def Leopard re entry ride here from Kaleb.
Speaker 2: Quote.
Speaker 3: We don't run a hype machine up here in the Midwest. When we fall short, we don't want and complain. That's why we're the best. Kurt Signetti on the Big Ten.
Speaker 2: I love it. I do you want to know why?
Speaker 3: Because anybody like Jackass is like me, can say stuff and not back up. Jack Squat, he's backed it up so far on the Andy Moore Automotive Group potline. He was a part of it a little bit earlier today and then sum in Chicago. From the Indianapolis Star, Zach Osterman joins us, the Kurt Signetti stuff never truly gets old at all for me, because when you have accomplished what he has.
Speaker 2: You are allowed.
Speaker 3: It's not like he just talks about, hey, my way is the best way, but everything else is just a bunch of bull crap. And he's just telling you and describing to you what has been real and what has been legit, And to me, that's refreshing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think, I mean, it's been an interesting evolution to think about these three sort of media days appearances that he's had, you know, with the Big Ten, the first one, I think everybody just kind of showed up wondering what crazy thing he'd say next. That was the word he used at his first of me. I think he's direct Bob with something like, I know you're all waiting for me to get up here and say something crazy. Last year there was maybe a I don't know, kind of almost.
Speaker 4: A mix of that.
Speaker 5: What you're talking about is there was sort of this respect for what he'd done in twenty twenty four. But Indiana was also such a polarizing program. If you think back to last summer when we talk about the way they performed against Ohio State, Notre Dame, when we talked about how the SEC had decided to go to war against Indiana's scheduling philosophy. Specifically, this time around, it was just very much sort of, Hey, he's you know, he's the master of this particular universe, and I don't think he's ever someone who's going to be comfortable being a statesman. I don't think he wants to get up there and set agendas and make sweeping statements about sort of the future of college football and things like that. But you know it, there was nobody sort of trying to do anything except sort of feet with Indiana, and obviously by extension signet he have accomplished over.
Speaker 4: The last two years. This time around, it.
Speaker 5: Was just a widespread acknowledgement that Indiana is one of the big boys in the conference.
Speaker 3: Now Zach Austaman of the Stars in Chicago and the Andy Moore Automotive Group potline you mentioned he does not want to be a statesman in all this, but has he positioned himself with his incredible level of success that that's going to be his own a choice here moving forward.
Speaker 5: To a certain extent, Yes, I mean, listen, you know, you don't have to have a convert. You don't have to give the answer if you don't want to, and he'll still have fun sometimes, like when he took what felt like a maybe you know, thinly veiled shot at the.
Speaker 4: Sec there at the end of his comments at the podium and things like that.
Speaker 5: But you know, in the same breath he got some you know, some sort of bigger picture feature of college sports questions during his breakout session, and he said what he often said, which is that you know, some version that basically just that's above my pay grade. Just tell me what the rules are, and I'll find a way to win, you know, within them or without, you know, well abiding by them.
Speaker 4: He's not.
Speaker 5: Yes, he's going to get more of those questions, you know, what do you think about the congression, congressional legislation or the future of you know, NIL and revenue sharing or whatever. And sometimes you know, I think where he does engage with that stuff is on kind of a day to day level, like if you ask him about why and how he handles his roster the way he does. He doesn't have a GM. He does a lot of the you know, the numbers himself and things like that. But he doesn't want to be someone who I think is I could not imagine no world where you see Kurt Signetty in front of a congressional hearing, for example, like his former boss. I just don't think that is part of his makeup as a coach, and I don't think it's I don't think you'd ever see him in that vein. I think he would always just sort of say it with you, just kind of tell me what the parameters are, and I'll find a way to win.
Speaker 4: That's my job as a bootbulk coach.
Speaker 3: Jen Is it easy to see that he and his former boss don't like one another? Or is that because they Yeah, they don't like they like one another? And listen, have you ever found out the reason why? Is it the success right now? Is it's a new era, the new landscape of college athletics or is it it's something else? Because I'm not necessarily believing that started with signetti, but it seems like it did, was saving Is there anything more behind that?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't know that they I don't know that. I'd go so first who they don't like each other?
Speaker 4: I would also, I mean I would say two things.
Speaker 5: Number One, they are very similar personalities and sometimes that can lead to you know, to to I would say clashes, but friction and things like that. But number two, like I dealt with this when Tom Creane was the head coach in Indiana and we would always ask about tomism and things. I think sometimes coaches get sort of uncomfortable being attached to just one coach, if that makes sense in sort of their past.
Speaker 2: Was that Likensky kind of stuff?
Speaker 5: They're working well, you know, I think like like Tom Creane always wanted you'd ask me about Timizom and I know Tom, it's it's always hard to have this conversation because I'd say things like, I know Tom had a men's respect for Tom, but I think Tom also always wanted to point to Ralph Lillard, for example, who was the coach who gave his first his first full time job, you know. And I think with Kurtzignetti, I don't think I mean he's if you ask him about Nick Saban, it'll say things like I learn more about building a program and managing a program in four years with him than I did in twenty five years before that, and coaching he still has an immense amount of respect and appreciation for everything he learned from Nick Saban.
Speaker 4: But I think Signetti also wants to say.
Speaker 5: Hey, don't forget about my dad, don't forget about Johnny Majors, don't forget about Walt Harris. Then it's really easy to kind of I think sometimes coaches, when they do have someone like that in their history, it's really easy to sort of pigeonhold him and say what he's just that he only belongs on that guy's coaching tree, right, he is just he he's a Nick Saban disciple, and I think Signetti is someone who values I know he does because I've had these conversations with him. I know others have too. He values what he got out of his experiences with a number of different coaches, and I don't think he's comfortable with the idea that you sort of push all those to one side just because he did happen to work for one who was just so exceptionally successful.
Speaker 4: It's sort of the same.
Speaker 5: It's the same mentality in a different ways when you ask him about twenty twenty five, and he'll be quicked in a certain situations to tell you that he doesn't think the twenty twenty fourteen gets nearly enough credit for just what's happened in Indiana over the last two years.
Speaker 4: It's kind of the same thing. I think he just doesn't want the impact of some.
Speaker 5: Of these other coaches he's worked were up to it, including his dad, forgotten, just because obviously he also spend some time with Nick Saban, which again he will tell you over and over again if you ask, was incredibly important to his development as a coach.
Speaker 3: It is a weird dynamic to me that you get some coaches that seem to be incredibly proud about those from their particular coaching tree that move on to have similar success or even maybe greater success than they do. And then there are some that don't feel that it's so gratifying to have that happen, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And again I think if there's and I don't obviously I don't know staying as well as that kind of got Signetti over the.
Speaker 4: Last couple of years.
Speaker 5: But I think there's also a little bit, if you want to talk about the way both of those guys are wired, I think there's maybe a little bit of an element of it. It's not like you have animosity towards the guy once he leaves, or if you don't you're not happy for his success or whatever. But you're just sort of wired to always be worried about what's next.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: That's been so much of Kurt Signetti this off season that you can imagine has been not thinking about last season. Last season is great, that team deserves a kind of credit. It was a great run we had all this, but but I'm worried about twenty twenty six. I'm worried about getting all the pieces together on this roster. And I think some coaches, like when an assistant leaves or something like that, there is just sort of all right, well then we just you know, who's the next guy in that job. We just move on. We've got to keep moving on. I'm not going to get I'm up on the past in any way. And I think that's listen. I think that is a big part of what has made Kurt Signetti so successful in his career is his ability to just constantly be shifting its focus to the next calf, the next challenge, the thing right in front of them, never getting hung up on anything that doesn't you know, anything that doesn't sort of somehow affect winning the next whatever, game, practice, whatever it is. But I think sometimes that can also lead to what you're talking about, which is maybe it feeling like you don't have that sentimentality in a way because you are just constantly thinking, all right, this guy's gone, I'm going to replace him with this guy, and we're going to move forward, and this is the this is the team now, this is the staff now. I'm not thinking about what things were before. I'm only worried about.
Speaker 3: For s NeXT's Zach Austramer of Chicago or in Chicago or the Indianapolis Star covering the Big Ten meeting Skirt Signetti a little bit earlier today, the defending national champion Indiana Hoosier's head coach and Zach's on the Andy Moral at monif group plotline.
Speaker 2: How do you view.
Speaker 3: Right now Josh Hoover as the next guy under center in Bloomington compared to not just Mendoza in this case, but Rourke as well, the third quarterback in the Signetti Ayu era.
Speaker 2: How do you view in comparison with those three?
Speaker 4: I mean, what's interesting about Josh Hoover?
Speaker 5: And we all look at it and we say, how can you possibly top a k what Fernana Mendoza did last year, which, in fairness, I think you know, we all looked at Fani med Doza year ago and we sort of said, hey, there's some pretty pretty big shoots to fill here. Curs Whork came in, turned out he was playing on a torn acl he was still second team All Big Ten, lead Indiana to eleven wins their first ten and oh start ever got into the playoff. How do you follow that up? We could say the same thing even, you know, to an even greater degree with Fanana men Doza, but you kind of forget that Josh Hoover is more credentialed as a quarterback than either of those other guys were when they joined Curtsey. I mean, he's the most proven quarterback Kurt Signetti has ever taken out of the transfer Portal's he's you know, he's got the Big twelve experience, which means powerful experience. He's the nation of leading returning passer. He's been, you know, a starter for a bowl team for three straight years. I think TCU won nine games each of the last two years. They may not have gone to a Bowl his first year as a starter, I can't quite remember. But the point is, in some respects, Hoover has the least to prove of those three at this level. Now, he still things to prove, and he still has things to improve on. One of the talking points, of course, of the offseason was this this sort of very mild war of words between Signetti and the Sunny Dike's over you know, sort of Hoover's turnover problems at TCU, and you know, Dyke's just kind of pointing out things that, in fairness were just statistic goal fact and Signetti acknowledging he's got to get better, but also he's probably going to have more tools and support in Indiana. Better run game, better offensive line, et cetera, better defense. But it is interesting just because we do look at and I'm believe me, I'm not fare to stand here and say that Josh Hoover is going to somehow outperform.
Speaker 4: For Nana Mendoza.
Speaker 5: But it is interesting that we all kind of assume that there probably has to be some kind of step back just because of how much Fernana Mendoza accomplished a year ago. When you remember that Josh Hoover has more has a lengthier resume up to this point in his career than either Mendoza or Curtis wark did. I think there's obviously going to be things that he does and in Indiana does with him that are going to be different. I don't know that we have a great feel for what those are, because quite frankly, he was playing behind a pretty passport offensive line in the spring game, and so I don't think we got a very good look at sort of Josh Hoover is Indiana's starting quarterback.
Speaker 4: But I just think that.
Speaker 5: That dynamic is going to be fascinating to follow because it does feel like he's trying to fill such big shoes. And yet, if you were talking to someone about sort of each of these quarterbacks in isolation before they took a snap, Indiana Josh Hoover would have the most impressive resume of the three.
Speaker 3: If your name is Turbo and you play running back, you have to be really good. I've had a really good combination of running backs, certainly last year.
Speaker 2: How's this guy got to compare in your estimation?
Speaker 5: I think you're still going to see. I mean, first of all, this fact clearly likes him a lot. And again you want to talk about I know it's coming from Boston College, but that is still powerful experience, you know, been very productive over the last two years, particularly last season. If you look at him just physically, both on film and up close, he profiles very similarly to what Indiana has had it running back the last two years. A little bit smaller, very strong, explosive, you know, and Indiana's run game was it was kind of interesting. I don't know if we talked about this enough last season, that twenty twenty four was very much kind of like the run game that always stayed on schedule, always fell forward, always had a healthy yards per carry average, a little bit more explosive last season of at times with Kaylon black and and Roman Hamby, and I think Richard can be kind of fill that mold a little bit too. But I still think you will also see, you know, something familiar to what we've seen over the last two years in Indiana, which is two to three running backs. You know, maybe eventually a top two emerging between Richard, Kobe Martin, and Lee Baby Junior who's expected to be full go by fall camp after the knee injury last year, and maybe like those three at the beginning, two really kind of asserting themselves as kind.
Speaker 4: Of a one A and one B. By mid season.
Speaker 5: The qualities are going to be of the room will be reflected by the qualities of the players, but I think the dynamics can be similar where you do see maybe two of those guys emerge as kind of like the co number ones.
Speaker 4: At that position.
Speaker 2: What do you expect production wise from Nick Marsh?
Speaker 5: I mean, I am I will say this right now. I am a card carrying member of the Nick Marsh fan club, and I go back to when Indiana played at Michigan State in twenty twenty four, that was obviously, you know, it seems like a million years ago now, but that was the first time that season Indiana had trailed in a game, and Nick Marsh was basically the reason why. I mean, Aidan Childs started that game very well. But you just saw all of the tools that you want in an elite boundary receiver. For me, the you know, the footwork, the explosiveness, the hands, the precision on you know, sort of the details of routes. You know when to break, when to cut, how to read average. And that was Nick Marsh as a true freshman. And he was well regarded as a as a high school recruit, so it wasn't a shock that he was good as a freshman. But that was him as a true freshman on a team that obviously was offensively challenged. You could say the same thing last year. I mean, I remember seeing him in twenty twenty four and then again in twenty twenty five, and having seen enough of Elijah Surat at Indiana, I thought there is a very similar profile at receivers or that if you could put him in Indiana's offense, I think we'd have a lot of success. Now you're going to be playing him opposite presumably Charlie Becker. I think it's gonna be one of the most explosive receivers in the conference, if not the country this season. I mean, for my money, Ohio State got the best receiver I think in the BEG ten this year in Jeremi Smith. I don't think that's a controversial statement, but I would not be at all surprised if Indiana has the best receiver room in the league. And Nick marsh is a huge piece of that.
Speaker 3: Hey, Zach, before I'll let you go here, I think one of the toughest positions to try to reset or refill is that of tight end production wise, just value wise from what we witnessed a year ago. What's your thoughts on that position and how well equipped they're going to be to do that.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's comfortably the most fascinating one to kind of watch through, not just the preseason, that the early season.
Speaker 4: You know, if you look at the last two.
Speaker 5: Years, Indiana has never not had at the top with that depth chart for fifth and sixth year players, you know, I mean they even had James Bomba in his sixth year last year. They have always been experienced there and it's a position that's always been important. In twenty four, it was important to kind of that perimeter screen game that they ran that kind of took some of the pressure off Curtis Rourke. In twenty five, we know just kind of how important Riley Noatkowski turned out to be. But what's interesting to me, and Kurzignetti has acknowledged he got asked the question again today. He's been asked a number of times in the offseason. He acknowledged, Listen, we're really young there, we're not proven. Even some of the guys that we liked, like Trevor Gibbs or like brought Shot, the Miami tight end who's originally from Leo. You know, they had to take time out in the spring because they had injuries that required, you know, surgeries and things like that. He doesn't shy away from the fact that that is a young group. If they're a young group at a position where Indiana has stayed intentionally old in each of Signette's first two seasons. But I also think it's interesting, you know, a year ago, we know what Riley Nowakowski kind of becomes for Indiana. But when Indiana took Riley Nowakowski out of the portal, you wouldn't have looked at that and said, boy, that was a coup. He was an experienced sort of block first tight end from Wisconsin. It made sense to kind of sort of fit him into that Zach Horton type role from twenty twenty four. It isn't until we see them on the field that we realize how important Nokowski is going to become for that team in twenty five. Indiana didn't target a player like that in the portal. They didn't go, they did not appear to go searching for somebody like that the UI. Even before you saw them in the offense, you thought, hey, that's just a safe pair of hands.
Speaker 4: Essentially the position like that.
Speaker 5: So they know they're young, but they seem relatively comfortable with what they have. It's going to be fascinating to see how that position develops, because there's somewhere they've been comfortable letting some youth be served in these first couple of years, tight end not one. They didn't really leave themselves a choice there, and I think they did it with at least to some extent intentionally so I'm curious to see what it looks like.
Speaker 3: You look at some of the big moments of last year across the board, nola Kowski had his fingerprints on so many of those.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent. I mean, I could take you back, you could.
Speaker 5: I don't know who would have been tracking these kinds of predictions, But well before the end of the season, I would tell people who asked, I think he's going to make more money in the NFL than people realize, because there's just there's a precision, there is a you know, there was a detail and a toughness to the way he blocked. He does stuff. Listen, we could talk about the big catches, yes, in State Drive and some others. He has a couple of big moments in the playoff. He has, of course the touchdown run against Miami. But he is the sort of player that does the little things, whether it's in blocking, whether it's in special teams, whatever it is that keep a player on NFL rosters a lot longer, and you look around and you say, well, I didn't realize.
Speaker 4: He's been in the league eight years. Like that kind of thing.
Speaker 5: He is going to be I think anyway, and I know he's an older pro already, but I think he is someone that that could genuinely enjoy a much more lucrative and extensive NFL career than maybe people appreciate it, because he is just such a detailed player in addition to and you said, having some really big moments in the passing games.
Speaker 4: To see them we're on.
Speaker 3: I saw this yesterday, Tristan Abram. Did he get in the transfer portal? I know he's deep in the depth show defensively speaking, Did he go in the transfer portal as I read yesterday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was one of the higher ranked linemen in the first full signing class, didn't play last year.
Speaker 4: He's in the portal. Obviously.
Speaker 5: That's sort of like a that's at least a little bit sort of, you know, a formality right now because the portal wind is not going to be open until December and all that. But you know, that's I think you just kind of have to make peace with the reality that some guys aren't going to stick around to develop as long as you might hope you can get them.
Speaker 3: Form Hey, well done, man, thank you very much for the checkup. That is good stuff, as always. Zach austinan of the Star in Chicago with the Media Day with the Big tim we'll get more in depth on all the Big ten. But that's good stuff today, Zach. I appreciate you, pal, absolutely.
Speaker 5: Thanks for having me as always.
Speaker 2: On the Andy Moore Auto Moni Group Potline.
Speaker 3: First two days up at Droplight that is Graham Park in Westfield, and Mike Chapel of CBS four and Fox fifty nine joins us to talk about that, hey, before I get into it. So we love giving back to you because you give us so much content. We appreciate that my friend Steve Girardi got a hold of me and wanted to know if you'd be interested in hitting up one of these fantastic shows coming up in the next couple of fridays up at Connor Prairie in Symphony on the Prairie, And the first one is August the seventh, which is a week from tomorrow. That is the Fab four. It's a Beatles tribute which my daughter Laney is a big Beatles fan. She's going to attend. And the second is August the fourteenth, on a Friday, Hollywood Nights, which is a Bob Seeger tribute band, all at Connor Prairie an off awesome experience.
Speaker 2: Would you like to go to either?
Speaker 6: I've been there. I saw the Beatles several years ago. It's an unbelievable show. I'm in Canton that day, so that won't work. The Hall of Fames next weekend with Vin Terry, I'd be interested. In the fourteenth with Bob Seger. I saw him a game Bridge guys who's been four or five years ago, and it was outstanding. So sure, And I think the Colts might be off that day. I'm not sure, but let me I'll tell you what.
Speaker 3: I'll get in touch with Steve and we'll set this up and make sure that you get up there on the fourteenth.
Speaker 6: You know how to find me, so just well, yes, Jilin care, that's cool.
Speaker 2: I got your back.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think actually it wasn't you and may have been. And this is a different venue. I think Lady saw the Fab four was it last year? She sat next to Bill Benner in the front row. I think at the State Staate.
Speaker 6: What I saw was called the Magical Mystery Tour or something right, and it was. I mean, these are obviously actors and all this, but gosh darn, they were good and I'm you know, I'm a Beatles guy. When the cults were in or when the culture in London in sixteen I think it was or seventeen the years run. Together with the wife, we went to Abbey Road and I've got a picture of me crossing the road like like the Abbey Road album. So I'm a nerd.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, my daughter saw McCartney last October and de Moine I actually.
Speaker 2: Had Hey.
Speaker 3: She was staying in the same hotel. She's sixteen, staying in the same hotel where he was, and was down getting orange juice and he walked right by and waved at her, and she has it on video, so that was pretty cool.
Speaker 6: I would have had to say, you know, I'm sorry to make a fool of myself, but uh, this is the only this is the only chance I'll get to make a fool of myself, so let's do it.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 2: It was really cool.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I'll make sure you're set up for that coming up on the fourteenth right there. I'm curious about this as well. We had a conversation yesterday Kevin Bowen and I about this, and the Colts have a lot of money to spend if they wanted to so in terms of Chris Ballard being in the final Final without results season in leading this Colt's organizationally speaking, it doesn't feel like everything considering the holes they have in this roster right now that they're doing it, it seems like it's more cost efficient. And for the life of me, I don't really understand. Why is it about the talent that is available out there not worthy of it is about the money. Why have they not gone more in in certain situations like wide receiver for example, which you know they're going to have to Why are they hesitant about doing something like that right now? Is it the veteran player, the guys that they want to bring in or they might have interest in. What would be the reason behind that.
Speaker 6: I can't believe that they sit in meetings and Reggie Wayne says, hey, we're good, We're good, and I think I really do think after talking to Ballard the other day, they're very open to a receiver. I'm not talking to Leon Clifford that they signed the rookie, but I really believe in the next two weeks they sign a guy. The names that jump out or Keenan Allen, Deebo, Samuel Stefan Diggs, Keenan Allen is just it makes so much sense. He's on the wrong side of thirty. He had eighty catches last year for the Chargers. He didn't Stiken. We're together for seven years or six seven years with the Chargers, and I think Shane would drive to wherever he's from and driving back here. I think part of it is that with the with these veteran guys, they want to wait till the second or third week of training camp so they can avoid this.
Speaker 4: Maybe they want more money.
Speaker 6: I just don't see a veteran free agent getting much more than the three four five million that these guys. I'm not talking about Crystal Lave with what the lottery he just hit. But so I think it's a timing. I will be absolutely shocked if they don't bring in one of those three, not bring in sign one of those three guys. This is I mean again, you say it makes so much sense.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 6: When the owner says the sense of urgency has never been higher, then do whatever it takes. They've got the cap space, which normally that's not an issue. You can create cat space, it's having the money to do it. And I can't believe for a minute they don't have five or six million dollars the funnel towards one of those guys. And again they I think they, I really think from talking to Jonathan Taylor, they're trying to get something done with him. And that's a little different. That's a lot different because that could mean a longer, you know, two three year contract, which is pushing money into the future that you don't know what the future is going to be. I'm unless I'm missing something. I've been kind of vocal about give Taylor something more for this year, like the Cardinals did with Jacobe Prissett. Give him five or six million dollars guaranteed, and then worry about next year. Next year you can franchise tag him. I think they need to take care of Taylor because all he is is their offense. I mean, he's the engine to what they do. But yeah, they you can't go into a season with so much playoffs or else type things on the line and not take care of a couple of obvious deficiencies. In the top one is wide receiver.
Speaker 3: Well and evidently within the last hour and I'm assuming this is a camp body wide receiver, Liam Clifford, Penn State undrafted wide receiver brought in.
Speaker 2: I saw her.
Speaker 3: Kevin Bowen had the Colts worked out veteran wide receiver Chase Claypool, And I don't think that dude's even played since twenty twenty four or something.
Speaker 6: Right, That's not the kind of guy I'm talking about. I'm talking about a guy and against Samuel.
Speaker 2: You're talking about Keenan Allen, somebody like that is what what you're Deebo.
Speaker 6: Samuel had a good year, was it fifty or sixty kits for Washington. Those are the guys I'm talking about. And if nothing else, if the fact that they've gone the first two practices and probably the first couple of weeks without Alec Pierce. He looks really good catching the ball from Reggie Waying on the sideline. But that's if that doesn't magnify what is missing at the position. It's Josh Downs and Quand Treadwell and and uh Nick Westbrook, a Keene and those guys have had moments. But if you're gonna give your quarterback as much chance as pob also to succeed, one it's Jonathan Taylor in the backfield, and two it's receivers, it's targets. And what I hope they don't get enamored with is, you know, we got Tyler Warren and he's as good as it gets at moving around and all this, and he is, but he's still a tight end. And I would rather have him as a tight end along with three quality receivers as opposed to two receivers and Tyler Warren. You get different defensive matchups. So again, if we're having I tell you, if we're having this discussion in three weeks and there's still no receiver in here, you and I can just kind of go ballistic. Okay, Mike.
Speaker 3: They're handling wide receiver like they're comfortable with it, which is weird. And I'll add, as you mentioned earlier, Jonathan Taylor's handling dialogue with the local media as if he's comfortable in his situation, which I would agree with, you lead you to believe that something is in the works, right, And that's why I say part.
Speaker 6: Of the thing with with any veteran player is they, like I said Kenny Moore, maybe they would prefer to wait maybe for an injury to maximize their their their their demand. But a lot of times these guys they sign two weeks in the camp or whatever. And I think a guy like like Keenan Allen wouldn't need a ton of time to get, you know, in sync with Shane Stiken in the office now. He would need time, certainly with a quarterback, and that that does matter, you know. I go back to all the reps between Peyton and Marvin and Reggie, and that matters where they can look at each other and know what they're doing. So I will be beyond shocked if if in the next couple of weeks, and certainly for opening day, one of the top three receivers is he's got he's got to be coming in some form. And it's not the names you've mentioned. It's certainly not the guy you just the cliff uh Liam Clifford.
Speaker 2: Chasepool what Yeah, that's.
Speaker 6: You know, this offense doesn't need to bring in a receiver who's trying to restart something and find his career again. It's to bring in a guy a one year bandage to get you fifty or sixty catches. And because minus that, I just don't see, Because when you don't have that third receiver, all of a sudden, you're pushing everybody up all of a sudden the nation. Dolan is a three and he's never had more than twenty two targets in a season because you've had guys in front of him. And then if Tyler Warren is sort of your third receiver sort of, then you push on the other tight ends into different roles so that hopefully that they've got something that they're trying to get done, that they'll get done with a receiver. This receiver group, with all due respects to all of them, it's not good enough for what they need to do this year.
Speaker 3: To Mike Chapel of CBS four and Fox fifty nine, he's on the Andy Moore Automatic Group podline two days. That's not a lot as far as evaluation is concerned. Have you learned anything in the past two practices you've seen up in Westfield.
Speaker 6: I've learned that Mooney, Mooney Ward and soft Gardener are pretty damn good. Uh healthy. If thanks they're healthy, it'll be the best tandem the Colts have had going back to Baltimore. I don't know, I don't I'm not school on you know, the Bobby Boyds and all those guys, But there were a couple of plays on the opening day where Soft makes a play and then on one side and Mooney on the other, and you're thinking, theah, get used to folks, that's what they need. They played like ninety snaps together last year because of injuries and all that. And I tell you what's really cool is when we get a chance to talk to these guys. We talked to Mooney today and the when he lets you inside what he's been through. He you know, he's talking to us and he's got his his son, Mooney Junior in his arm, and he just pours out what he's been through, losing his daughter, losing the daughter and all that, and it took him a couple of years. I've been there. It takes a while to get over the loss of a child. And when you have a player that open, you know, he said, you know it, ninety five percent sure I was going to retire, and you think seriously, and then he goes into this and he doesn't just give you a toss away answer. He goes into it and how why he thought that and how he came out of it, and so again you really, you really hope guys like this can come through. It can stay healthy. He had those three concussions and the one that almost ended his career when he ran into Drew Ogletree was complete, freak complete, but it knocked him out. He had symptoms for a long time. So I, uh, again, we're not cheerleaders and a lot, but you really pull for guys like that, uh, Sauce Gardner when you he's just he looks different from the corners they've got here. He's long and and just a quo and he's got something to prove too. He was first team All pros first two years and then not quite so much the last two years, and of course last year was sort of a last year. So I hope you know, knock on wood, they've had trouble keeping corners healthy. Uh. If these guys and then you throw Justin Wally in there and Cam bind him is as good as safety as there is. And they've got depth at safety with Halsey and Hunter Waller. This can be a pretty darn good secondary, which will help a pass rush that I'm still not sure how good it might be.
Speaker 3: Are you concerned about staying here? I guess you always are because you cover the colts like we all do here. But are you concerned about both those corners in sauce and Chevert's ward staying healthy more than that of Daniel Jones?
Speaker 2: What is Daniel Jones?
Speaker 3: Because he's not had a history of staying healthy either.
Speaker 2: Where are you with that?
Speaker 3: Even though the signs are all pointing to positive right now in his start coming off of that injury and the surgery and the rehab. But where are you with him staying healthy the entirety of the year.
Speaker 6: You don't expect that because it's happening like once in his career and again that year he took the Giants of the playoffs and they won a playoff game. So when he again, when he's surrounded by the people he's got and it's up, it's incumbent on him to stay healthy. It's not like he's reckless. You know, he didn't get hurt on a reckless play again because just a you plan for foot and the achilles blows up. But no, You've got one thing that Chris Ballard mentioned was he feels better about this as good about this quarterback group. He has it a long time, which you know, let's let's be honest, the quarterback group over over the course of the last several years hasn't been that great. He also says his intention for right now is to keep all three quarterbacks, which is something to change. But you know, we've seen Richardson and Leonard kind of rotate behind Jones that that'll shake you out. In the preseason games. Somebody asks Jones if if he expects to play, Steven holderimight ask him to expect to play in the preseason games or what would he have to do to lobby for it. And I'm telling you you got as much chance of playing in a preseason game as Jones does. I will be stunned if he plays. He'll get plenty of good work in those joint practices with the Patriots and the Falcons, but they don't want to take a chance on him being out there and doing his job and something breaks down and all of a sudden, somebody comes off the edge trying to prove something and blows him up or whatever. So I think the first time we see him on the field playing a game is in the opener. But that's going to give Richardson and Leonard plenty of reps to sort that out. Maybe Richardson proved that he's kind of got his act together and maybe would you know, stir up a trade interest more. But if a team had wanted Richardson in the trade, I just think they would have done it by now. And the fact that he's going to be paid the four million dollar roster bonus in the next few days by the Colts. If you really wanted Richardson, I just think you would have done it by now. So they'll probably carry these three into the season, and they'll probably need at least two of them.
Speaker 2: Who would they go to first?
Speaker 6: I don't know, if I tell you, I'm convinced that if they had Richardson healthy Richardson last year, then in the playoffs he would have found a way to win a couple of games.
Speaker 3: I think, if you well, you know that going to happen. Listen, Yeah, we pulled the Colts, It's going to happen.
Speaker 6: I just think if Richardson's on the roster, he needs to be your backup. If not, what's he doing here? I realize he's he would impede the progress at Leonard, But right now this team's in win now mode, and I just think for all of it's it's crazy. I've been on record a saying, I just I think they're better off parton ways, just for both sides. I went back and look, he's thrown like three hundred and fifty passes in three years. Forty nine quarterbacks have thrown that over three these last three years. He's number forty nine with a fifty percent completion percentage. Number forty eight is Jameis Winston at like fifty nine percent. So that's how that's the gap from efficiency. But then he gives you so much possibility on explosive plays and creating things. So I think if push comes to shove, Richardson is a guy that will be and probably needs to be the backup guy. Although the thing is he's totally different from what from what Jones is, so all of a sudden, Shane's having to restructure the offense, whereas you do go with Leonard, you don't have to. It's not an easy decision. But if you're going to have Richardson here, make him the number two and have him ready to play.
Speaker 2: I had Kayden Curry on a little bit earlier today.
Speaker 3: I like Caden Curry a great deal, and obviously he's from CG like that too. Do you have any expectations at all or is it going to be representative of a six round selection? What would you I guess at the lowest of levels, what would you expect, and maybe even elevating that at higher levels, what you would expect special teams?
Speaker 6: Make an impact there and then and then you'll get reps out of know, it's hard to put a number on it. Ten reps of games sounds kind of high, I don't know, but make an impact, make a couple of plays, and then you know, and that's how you earn instead of ten reps, fifteen reps or twenty reps. And they need to find a pass rush beyond a lot too, and maybe ardin Key and I don't know right now who that is. You know that they've got to get buck to forth Buckner back. They can't play defense very well without him. But there'll be chances, but this will may maybe it'll be a little bit like Robert Mathis when he came in as was he a fifth rounder and the first year he really was a special teams guy, and then he then he turned into I think there were a lot more. I'm not saying Curry is going to be that at all, but I think it'll be special teams and then hit and miss with with with some snaps here and there. But if you can get to the quarterback, they will find a way to get you on the field. I can still remember with mathis they they thought about making a linebacker to get him on the field more, and then he said, no, he's a pass rusher. So if you can get to the quarterback, they'll find a way to get you reps in a game.
Speaker 2: All right, Schrader a groupie? Who you got?
Speaker 6: I'm going with Groopie, I guess because he's.
Speaker 2: Because I'm a groupie of Groupie.
Speaker 6: Well again, I would side with the guy not coming back from a series knee injury to my kicking leg. Was his kicky lingers play whichever? Uh so and against It's kind of crazy. I need to double check, but I think Groupie ended up leading the NFL and missed field goals last year. And that's by not missing one here. That's how bad it was in New Orleans before he got here and got with Brian Mason and a quality snapper and a holder. So yeah, and it's funny. I was talking to Brian Mason, I said, you know that was a c L and m c L kicking leg, Right's kicking leg Okay. Uh, But I said, you know, I've never been around the guy in all my years here that's been as small as Blake Groupie. I said, you see him in the long room. You think he's one of the equipment guys. Uh so, But but I tell you, it's all about leverage and mechanics, and I just think you go with probably go with a health with the guy that's proving it. And and it'll be a tough decision. Whoever they cut will be kicking for somebody this year.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: And it's kind of hard. They tried to kick three times a week. But again, Schrader was going, he was headed towards whatever. Last year. I think he was a player of the month, player of the week, player of the month, whatever it was. And then he gets blown up on that attempt. So uh, I'm pulling for Schrader. I'm a local guy and all that, but you got to kind of pull be in favor of if you're betting, betting than the guy not coming back from a knee injury.
Speaker 3: I'm going to nickname Groupie Lucky because he looks like Lucky from Lucky Charms.
Speaker 6: He's just a little guy, but boy, I tell you.
Speaker 2: He's magically delicious.
Speaker 6: When you don't miss as a kicker, you're doing something pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I listen. I probably shouldn't, but I proclaimed him. I think after that sixty yarder in Seattle, I'm a groupie groupie. And then, of course the Colts do what the Colts did. End up losing the game, But after that sixty.
Speaker 6: Yarder, that's one of the most perfect game plans ever devised offensively and defensively against a team that was going to win the Super Bowl. There, you should have beat him with the guy that was on his couch a few weeks prior, and just eighteen was an eighteen sixteen whatever hey kicked. The guy could kick six field goals, one of the most premiere total game plans, and it just quite wasn't.
Speaker 3: Enoughhilip Rivers, That's incredible. I can't believe.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 3: Do you ever have a hard time believing that Philip Rivers quarterback here last year?
Speaker 6: I know? Well, and again, if Richard isn't healthy, that doesn't happen and things change. But yeah, it was a cool story, sort of uh, for all the wrong reasons.
Speaker 2: All the wrong reasons.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but.
Speaker 6: I love being around Philip Rivers. He's just a he's a great guy and he's a wealth of of of knowledge. But we don't need an Act three of Philip Rivers.
Speaker 3: Okay, I in closing here, Mike, Keenan Allen, Deebo, Samuel Stefan Diggs. Of those three veterans that would be available, who would you.
Speaker 6: Go with Keenan Allen. We were always connecting dots on free agents, and this one makes and un let's see unless he wants to go back to the Chargers and he's waiting for something. But it makes too much sense. So get him in here in a couple of weeks and let him get his fifty or sixty. But he could step in. I've ember asking Reggie Wayne one time, who do you compare Michael Pittman to? He said, Keenan Allen. So bring Keenan Allen in, let him do Pittman stuff on the outside on the left, and then everybody else can do what they do more from Pierce. But until you get that third guy, that free aging guy, it's just you got guys doing things they're either not used to maybe not capable of that free aging guy can do so much to putting people in the right place.
Speaker 3: All Right, I'm going to send Steve your number. He's going to reach out to you and set you up for the fourteenth. Okay, if I can make it, I will. We appreciate your palas always know that to be true. And I guess somebody's offended because I referenced Groupie is magically delicious, which does sound weird.
Speaker 2: I would agree, Yeah, it's all about lucky charms in the cereal.
Speaker 6: You do you say a lot more to be offended with them that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no doubt. I try to on a daily basis. Thanks you, brother, I appreciate you well.
Speaker 4: Buddy.
Speaker 2: To Mike Chaffell of CBS four and Fox fifty nine,