Speaker 1: Why from Baal Heartland and the crossroads of America.
Speaker 2: It's Tony Katz today. So the economy shed twenty three thousand jobs in July. It missed the expectations, and the market said that's cool, and you said something, it's cool by us. We're fine with it. We're good with it, no problem. As a matter of fact, we'll go up Tony Katz, Tony Katz today, Good to be with you. There are reasons, though, there are reasons, including, of course, inflation and rate hikes. Doctor Mattwell joined as economist at the University of Indianapolis. I started to understand this one early, but I want to understand what's in the jobs report. First, you took a look at it. We've got jobs report, We've got unemployment numbers. Walk me through what the report says, the Job's report, and what it says to you.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I'm going to start off by telling you that the headline is bad. And just like the other day we talked about this. You know, headlines are bad, but when you look under the hood, it's actually good for the economy, believe it or not. So let's start with the headline minus twenty three thousand jobs, which is really interesting because the expectation is plus eight eighty thousand, so this was one hundred thousand job myths. That's a big deal. But let's now start looking underneath the hood. Unemployment rate dropped from four point two to four point one percent. That's good, okay, Now for the bad. The only reason to drop is because the participation rate declined. Fewer people are looking for jobs. Fewer people are in the workforce. Now more bad news for you. Tony, May and June were revised down by one hundred and three thousand jobs, so people didn't get employed this quarter. Argue this month, two big revisions. I mean, there's a lot going on there that's not good. But there is a good part to this. The private industry gained thirty thousand jobs, so there was a growth in private and the government lost fifty three thousand. This was all government job loss, so as far as the market's concerned, good Again, back to the same scene we've been talking about. Government is contracting, private industry is growing, and if you look across the board, there's some pretty good information in this. I mean, construction twenty two thousand jobs up, durable goods manufacturing eighteen thousand jobs up, Transportation warehousing ten thousand jobs up. I mean, there is good news in this report for the private economy, and wages didn't grow that much. I know, again that sounds bad, but there's a story behind this and why this job's report is loved by the market.
Speaker 2: So I've with you on the government stuff, and I have discussed this now in a couple of places. Your point that GDP gross domestic product one point five percent bad headline. But if government spending juices GDP, we had less government spend, which is good for us the taxpayer. It just makes the GDP number look worse. But when you look as you describe it, under the hood, things on some fundamentals, specifically manufacturing, very very solid. But when I took a look at market response and I watched the futures go up one hundred points in a blink of an eye after this report came out, it became pretty clear to me. And I feel like all this talking together has finally gotten me some level of degree, maybe only in associates, but still them on my way that what they saw is the job market might be weaker. So those in the federal Reserve who are thinking about rate hikes to tamp down and tamper down inflation. Might think twice and no rate hikes is where the market wants to be true or false.
Speaker 1: Uh close, tony close, I'm giving you a B, not an A.
Speaker 2: Yeah, teacher, ever.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. Well, every time someone gets the bad grade, that's what they tell me. You're very close. The reason was the unemployment rate drop. So it's not that the job market is bad, it's that the wage growth is not exorbitant. Wage growth would indicate inflation. So the bad part where you're correct is in quotes, wage inflation is not there. And the unemployment rate stayed at four point one, I mean four to two to four to one, so we didn't have hot unemployment. If we had significantly increasing unemployment, there would be pressure on the SAD to cut rates. There's inflation, which seems to be in this case moderate not outrageous. Moderate, which is less pressure to increase rates. So the said, here's what happened this morning. In the markets, there is a fifty seven percent chance that said was going to do a rate hike in September. There's stuff on Wall Street and the options market in futures, the market that predicts this that went down as soon as this came out. As soon as it came out the news on the unemployment, that probability dropped from fifty seven percent to forty seven percent. So the headline is this inflation argues for a hike, employment argues against it, and this morning the employment won.
Speaker 2: Talking to doctor Matt will the economist from the University of Indianapolis, So when you talk about winning this back and forth, this seems to be a non scientific struggle. This only seems to be a reaction struggle. Am I right about that?
Speaker 1: Oh? Absolutely, that's exactly what's happening.
Speaker 2: So the reaction from Wall Street was that the lack of of labor participation, which would show us that we don't have wage inflation, means that everything is getting better.
Speaker 1: Yes, But your phrase reaction is why you might get an aus on this now, because what happened is it's the reaction to the latest piece of news. You and I the other day talked about the PCE very high, CPI, eh okay, PPI terrible. That was Then today's news is, look, unemployment is pretty flat. That's good. Wage increase not going through the roof. So what happened here is today's most immediate current news reaction is okay, inflation under control, no rate change. So that's what the market saw. The latest reaction. Now you know, something could happen tomorrow and completely changed the game again. But this is what the market's doing with the news that got today. Okay, unemployment's fine, wage inflacement, inflation is reasonable, no reason to overreact here. So the Fed again only a forty four percent chance they're going to do a rate increase. Now the market likes that. The market liked it so much that as soon as they got that information, the futures jump. Nasdaq futures immediately went up one point one percent. S and T future is one up half a percent instantly, instantly on the news coming out. And the tenure treasury, which you talked about, the tenure treasury sell eight BIPs, eight bases points down the four point one six or the two year treasury I mean, and the ten year also went down to four point six to one immediately reaction lower treasury rates. Market bumped both Nasdaq and S and P across the board. The market loves this.
Speaker 2: Can discuss something else that I'm surprised I haven't heard from bet since the Treasury Secretary or President Trump that the US trade deficit contracted. It went to seventy three point three billion in June from seventy seven point six billion in May. That story just came out earlier this week. Everything about tariffs is about trade deficits, that somehow trade deficits are the end of civilization. I don't believe that they are. I believe it's a bad reason to implement tariffs as a concept. Does this trade deficit going down not? Does that have an effect on people, on how people see the market, manufacturing, futures, etc. No.
Speaker 1: When you say people, if you're talking about Wall Street and financial experts, No, because actually what you saw was a blip. The trade deficit has been growing since tariff institution has been stabilized, and this is exactly what I consider a good thing. Again, I'm a fan of trade deficits. I'm not against them because to cause foreign direct investment, we buy lots of cheap crap from overseas, and those dollars that we spend flow back into the United States in the form of investing in our country, which is how you grow your economy. So I've got lots of research on this. I'm a fan of these trade deficits, so I don't think he made a comment about it because it was just a blip. And if he here's the big deal if he were to bring up the topic, Tony, the secret between you and me. If he were to bring that topic up, then everyone would start talking about Wait, the trade deficits have been growing significantly since you put the terrorists in place, So I think he wants to avoid that topic altogether.
Speaker 2: Talking to doctor Matt Will, economists at the University of Indianapolis, let's continue the conversation if we would, if we can, because I have mentioned that there have been a couple of FED governors before this report came out today and the market is making their bet. A couple of FED governors have said it's time for a rate increase. The inflation is not down, we need a rate hike. Are are they correct? Does this report change them at all?
Speaker 1: It changes them? They're correct that inflation isn't gone, but their solution is wrong, and this report gives wash some time to adjust. And this is where it gets that complex assets thing again. They had a legitimate point, do you want to camp down inflation? And one of the tools you do it is to increase rates. Well, when you increase rates, that's going to decrease investment because money costs more. So that's a you know, one of the things Trump always argues against me. But there's another way to control inflation, and that's what Warsh is trying to do. He's slowly moving the ship. He Slowly's got this commission going. It's going to look at selling assets off the balance sheet. Good for him. So he's working on that, and this report gives him cover. It gives him more time to let his political technique, his little commission do its job, because he's going to be able to say to these three governors, Okay, hold on, can't you see look unemployment flat, no reason to increase rates. Everything's wonderful right now, people go back into your corner. So I think this buys him time to not worry about the whole rape situation while he gets his ducks in line to do a huge asset sale. And I think he's going to pull it off. I'm confident, I'm patient, and I think he's going to succeed.
Speaker 2: I want to see it happen, like I want to see how that plays out. But there were some other things that happen I want people to be aware of in the market, and you've been making mention of this. We've talked often about layoffs, right, a lot of layoffs in Tech Wall Sheet Journal, discussing the fact that the new data shows that job cuts are down forty one percent so far this year, which would make one believe that, Okay, we've done enough cutting. Let's actually see if our AI investments increased productivity. Maybe we just really need these people. There's only so much you can cut. We saw have a business to run, products to sell, et cetera. But within this is the recognition that software is getting the living, not kicked out of it. That when we talk all about the technology and AI transforming the economy and all that jazz software, I don't know if they mean software as a service or software in general is getting slapped around. What is happening in that in that sector?
Speaker 1: Well, I like what you said. You said productivity, and we've seen in fact, today's report had a two percent increase in productivity. So that is a side benefit at a consequence the main benefit of AI. So what's happening And you're right, it's SaaS as a service, software as a service, I should say. And what's happening is companies like work Day and Salesforce and Adobe, and we talked about the other day, IBM while sixty nine billion dollars in value in one single day because there's software got killed. So what's happening is AI is replacing software. I'll give you my own personal example. I've got to put together this schedule of classes for students. It takes forever to go through all the gyrations and the formulas, and I now have an AI that can do it in minutes compared todays. There's software on the market that does that. Well, the people that sell that software, they're not selling the software. I can just turn on my AI, tell it what I want, and it gives me the same output. That is what's happening to companies like Workday and Salesforce and Adobe and IBM. They're getting beaten down because people can go on their computer on their phone and get the same output quality that they were getting from a piece of software that costs them a fortune just two years ago.
Speaker 2: How does this play into overall tech sector? Are there companies that care about their software products or are they willing to sacrifice at all to the h on the altar of AI because it's the only thing that matters.
Speaker 1: You know what, I don't like this phrase, but I have to use it. It's a massive paradigm shift that phrase.
Speaker 2: You're right about that.
Speaker 1: You know again, I don't like using that phrase, but that's what's happening. It's what companies are doing. Is it's literally Shoepayer's creative destruction that you and I have talked about before. This whole software industry is being upended. It's not going to disappear, it's going to reformulate. So people companies that are willing to say, okay, we're going to look at this differently. So instead of hiring IBM to write some software, I'm going to hire a bunch of AI experts and they're going to develop prompts and custom gems and custom GPPs, and they're going to create these AI environment so that any one of my lower level employees can do the same thing that that software was doing before at a cheaper price. So they're really transforming their businesses away from reliance on software which is static. You've got to buy updates. You know, it has bugs. Yeah, AI is not perfect, but it can do the job much easier, quicker, and with less overhead. So companies are just transform they still have to do the same thing, Tony. You still got to edit your audio and your videos, and you've got to get them published on your various platforms. Well, now the AI is going to alleviate your need to buy a bunch of software to do that.
Speaker 2: Doctor Matt Well, economists at the University of Indianapolis. I appreciate you taking the time to be with us more to get to this is Tony Katz. Today is the ongoing war in Iran having an impact and negative impact upon the US economy.
Speaker 3: Oil energy prices are a little bit inflated, but we could say that way less that people expected. But we're mindful of the fact that gasoline prices are high, and we're making many steps to help reduce the stress of that for people.
Speaker 2: Can we come over here? The answer is yes. I mean I like Kevin Hassett a lot. National Economic Council Director, I like them a lot. But that's were saying a little bit, a bit of a thing. With the energy prices, we still have barrel price up today, Tony Katz. Tony Katz today. God's always great to be with you, Thanks for having me here. The number is not going anywhere because there's no deal with Iran. There's no deal with Iran. Iran wanted to have a deal where no US or Israeli tankers could go through the strait. Okay, okay, sure, sure that's that's that's fantastic. Then there's the story that a deal with a Ran over her moves may require a compromise from Trump. This is Newsmax with the article he divides the world into winners and losers, and this would make him a loser according to one expert, and that is that image would be intolerable for him. So this is about levels of control and whether or not the Iranian regime can still have any control the way the Iranians want to see it. They control one route, oman controls another route, and so therefore there's still the people who make the decisions on who goes through. The Iranians, in their entire methodology of negotiation is never ever, ever, ever relent. Never keep up the heartache, up, keep up the hassle. The other side relents because they just grow tired of it, and you win. That's their methodology. Which is why I have stated from the beginning the only answer is the end of the regime, because it's the only way anything can be done. And all I'm doing, I mean, I knew this before Trump put anything out on social media years ago. He put out on social media. Iran never won a war, never lost a negotiation. That's exactly what's happening here. And so if we want to talk about how President Trump looks like he lost every day, it's like, oh, we got We're gonna get to a deal soon soon. I think we could see something soon. And he was in the Oval yesterday talking about how we saw oil prices down to numbers no one thought they could be this loan and we'll get there again soon. You're telling me about what happened yesterday. I want to know what's gonna happen today and what's gonna happen tomorrow. Those oil prices are what I'm talking about. You can't sell well three months ago it was only a dollar eighty five a gallon, or two months ago it is only a dollar eighty five a gallon in Iowa. That doesn't move anybody. And every time you say well soon, well soon, as I have argued, I think he looks weak and who is advising him on this because he doesn't want to look that way. Ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever. If you want to argue, mister President, that you can string this out for forever, you plenty of patients. Great, that's a position of strength. But don't tell us a deal'll be soon. You know, when the Iranians come to us and they beg forgiveness and they surrender, we'll have a deal. Than just go wait for them to learn their lesson. We've got all the time in the world. It's all on them. That would be a position of strength. This is Tony Katz today. So the way this was described was unhinged, which is a term you see often. It was OutKick putting out a post, and then Fox News with Jones OutKick putting out the article Meghan Rapino goes on an unhinged rant. Unhinged usually means screaming and yelling and out of someone's mind. Well, I don't think Megan Rapino is screaming or yelling here. She's just out of her mind. Tony Katz. Tony Katz today is so good to be with you, guys. Find everything I do at Tony kats dot com. Don't forget to grab the videos on YouTube and rumble a Tony Katz go and subscribe right now. Meghan Rapino, the soccer player who is beyond a leftist? Who is I would argue in this bit of audio I'm going to share with you, is going to prove it hateful. We're talking about a hateful person here. I would also argue, dishonest person. She's the one who took the knee in solidarity with Colin Kaepernick for the national anthem. Colin Kaepernick didn't even do it in solidarity with Colin Kaepernick. He wanted attention. He got attention. Didn't get a job in the NFL, but he got attention. When Dave should said of Colin Kaepernick, he didn't need to do that. His belly was full, but he did that for us, No, he did not. Dave has it completely wrong. Don't tell me. I can't tell Dave Schappell he's got it wrong. When he's wrong, he's wrong when he's right. I've agreed many times when he has said something I haven't thought of, I said, doubt say, that's amazing. But he's wrong on this. He doesn't have it anywhere close and he can engage with me in all the race this and you don't understand that he wants. In the end, I do understand, He's just wrong. Colin Kaepernick did nothing for anyone else, and no one is stronger for it. He did not even take a stand by taking a knee. Not a conversation for another day. Meghan Rapino believes, in all of her radical leftism that men can be women and trans women which are men, can be in women's sports. And this is her argument against Sophie Cunningham of the Indiana Fever and Riley Gaines, the swimmer who took on the madness of was it Mia Thomas or whatever his name was, and the swimmers and really has made this a front and center issue as it should be. Again, I will state we're talking about a culture war here that has to be won. It is a culture war. I accept the terms. We win, they lose. That's that because it's far more than just about whether or not a man is in women's sports. It is about a society written large, of course it is. It's about the idea of normalcy. And can I tell you I have put out videos about this where I've discussed Sophie Cunningham being normal and the amount of people who come at me, Why in the world would you call it normal? What other people are not normal? Who are you to decide what normal is? Sophie Cunningham said, girls sports are for girls and if we can't call that normal, we can't call anything normal. And I think you understand that that's the objective. The objective is to end the concept of normalcy. Everything is up to debate, everything can be questioned, everything can be seen as okay or acceptable. That is a total lack of standards. And the answer is no, not going to have that society. And I get that it puts people like us on the ounce with these other people and they want to be very violent about it, and they control a lot of the institutions. And my answer is game on, let's go do this thing. It's a culture war. We win, they lose. That's that men are not women and men are not welcome in women's sports. Don't care if you like it, don't care if you're happy about it, don't care if you cry, and don't scream to me that it's going to lead to you committing suicide. Because with all due respect. A guy who has spent some time being suicidal myself doesn't make me an expert, not an expert in what makes someone suicidal. I can only tell you where I was in my twenties. Also at nine eight eight. That is the suicide prevention hotline. I never called. I never did that, but if you need to, you should. It gets better, it can, It takes work. I'm right here. Oh. My twenties were a miserable experience, and the depression took me while into my thirties until I started to figure out that first of all, I wasn't crazy. I was just doing things that could in no way provide me happiness. Why wasn't I changing the things that I was doing? Which is the whole point that I only speak from a personal experience here, I'll let an expert discuss from an expert's position. Happiness does not come from without, It only comes from within. So if somebody is miserable with who they are, me, lying to them is not going to help them. Lying will make me miserable. What I learned about myself is that I was lying all the time. They weren't big lives, they weren't at landishlies. I wasn't lying about a job, or I wasn't lying to my wife. I was lying about being unhappy. I was lying about everything being fine. There were these small little things and when I stopped, when I stopped lying, and there's a multiplicity of things. I won't get into everything. I swear to you, in an instant, it got better. It required more honesty. Honesty is certainly tough. What I found is it's a tough that I like. It's a tough that's good because it's clarifying. When you lie, you can't fix the thing. When you're honest, you can fix the thing, or at least come to accept the thing, whatever that thing in your head is or the thing I'm in front of you, et cetera. That's better. I've always said, you know, in my contract negotiations, for example, I don't understand. And this has happened in multiple companies. It's happened for years. You've dealt with this kind of stuff. These people who want to they're having a negotiation, they're still kind of playing a game, and well, where do you see yourself?
Speaker 1: And what do you want?
Speaker 2: Dude? You know what I provide? How much? Here's what I want boom. Or here's your offer, boom, here's my counter boom. Can we be done. We can finish this in ten minutes and then go have lunch. Don't you want to have lunch. I hear they have truffle fries. Let's go get some truffle fries. Who doesn't love some truffle fries. I love them, by the way. I'll take regular fries, sure, but if they're truffle fries, I'll be like, I'll give those a go, and if I don't like them, I'll get the regular fries. That's right, I'll order both and then see which one I want. That's the kind of man I am. Ten minutes, that's all I need. I don't need the game. Well, Tony, we really value you, but you have to understand the situation that we're in. How much I don't know about you. I don't need any of the rest. I don't need any of that of that kind of stuff. And I swear to you that the changing of this mindset has has further solidified this. I mean, I accept the fact that for some people it's jarring and off putting. I accept, but I also accept that that's part of the deal. But since in the overall it works for me so well, it's part of the deal. I accept this. It doesn't mean that there aren't moments where I'm unhappy, and I can talk to you about a million things where I have real issues with satisfaction right, But I don't think I'm so different in that regard from other people. But one of the things that I do know, going back to Megan Rapino, is that if I have to be told, or if I'm going to be told that I have to lie and call a man a woman, I'm going to go back to lying. And I can't do that because being a liar and lying to myself and lying to others made me miserable, made me depressed, and made me think about ending my own life. I'm not doing that for Megan Rapino. Screw you, honey, I don't. I refuse to care about your feelings more than I care about my feelings. You don't care about my feelings at all. I think my feelings matter. I don't think I should be rude to you, or rude to somebody else who's going through gendernysphor you and having this mental issue. I don't think I should be mean I think we should be considerate and kind and decent and loving. Of course I do, but don't ask me to lie to satisfy somebody else's lie. I'm not doing that. I won't be a part of that. And thus, from a personal perspective, I believe in this culture war. But if you were to take my perspective out of it, I believe in the culture war because there are young girls being told they have to take a backseat to boys, and the answer is no, never mind that the boy thinks they're a girl, and society wants us to buy in to this madness. I'm not buying into mental illness. I'm not buying into wholesale lying where everybody buys into the lie. Absolutely not a culture war worth fighting, and we have to win. Meghan Rappino is angry with Sophie Cunningham for saying the most normal thing in the world girl sports are for girls, Angry with Riley Gaines for being supportive of girls in girl sports and girls alone and fighting for it. And so she goes on this ranch. She's looking right into the camera doing a little podcast thing. They called it unhinged, and I'm like, no, just wrong. Maybe unhinged.
Speaker 4: Listen, I want to address the controversy that is happening right now around on trans women in sports. As you know, I've talked about this a lot and will continue to keep talking about this.
Speaker 2: I don't know Sophie.
Speaker 4: So I can only project what I see about her beliefs based on her actions and seeing a picture of her with Riley Gaines after the game told me everything I need to know about what's happening. Riley Gaines has made it her life's mission to exclude trans people from public life. She's directly tied to the Heritage Foundation, the authors of Project twenty twenty five and now twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: We can stop there. That is nonsense, Project twenty twenty five, twenty twenty Sex All this stuff was always ridiculous stuff. The Heritage Foundation has plenty of problems. Megan Rapino, that ain't it, but the exclusion of trans people. She's been clear and focused about keeping women only in women's sports. This is this is a lie, and it gets bigger.
Speaker 4: Who have now published a report that suggests that they want to repeal Title nine, the very piece of legislation that allowed athletes like Sophie and myself to compete in sports. Sophie has claimed both to love trans people and support Title nine, and this is where I think the accountability with having a major platform is extremely important. You can hear it even in the language being used, that the root of trans exclusion is to protect young girls from men. To be clear, I would love to have that conversation and it's much needed in this country. But it frames the conversation as if we're protecting young girls from men being in WNBA locker rooms not happening. It villainizes trans girls as if they're somehow magically older than their peers or are men, when in reality they are also young girls.
Speaker 2: No, they're not. That's a lie. She's just lying. She's flat out lying, as clear as can be. Also, if men can be in women's sports, here's a Megan Rappino, formerly of the US women's soccer team, talking about the importance of Title nine, which is about funding women's sports. If men can be in women's sports, there's no need for Title nine. Don't get angry with me at Riley Gaines. She's the one who's actually engaged in a protection of Title nine. You're the one who wants to destroy it. If Title nine is about women's sports and making sure that there's a proper funding and you want men to be in women's sports, there's no need for Title nine because there is no women's sports the end. But if you believe that men who say they're women are women, well then you're just a liar. You're just wrong. And that's where the culture war is kid and that's what we're fighting. That's it right there. So is she unhinged? No, she's just a liar.
Speaker 4: These laws are excluding kids, kids from playing youth sports. If we want to have a conversation around elite sports, there are effective policies that have been in place for many years that no one noticed because they worked. So if anybody is taking these talking points as legit or believing they're protecting young girls in sports, I just have to ask are you serious?
Speaker 2: Yes, we're all serious. The question is, Megan Rapino, why do you hate girls? We're talking about kids in sports. So you are in favor of children being mutilated in terms of these top surgeries and bottom surgeries. You're in favor of confusing children. You're in favor of lying to children. You're in favor of chemical castration of children. Where does it end for you? Are you serious? Can you imagine that that's how she actually thinks? It's an intellectual conversation? Are you serious? For real? Seriously? I don't know. You could add your own in there as well. That's not unhinged. Well maybe it's a little unhinged. But she is a liar, She is lying, and what she favors is downright dangerous. We have to win, they have to lose. Girls. Sports are for girls. This is Tony Katz today. Is Putin looking to test NATO? US intel reports say maybe Wall Street Journal with this report Tony Katz, Tony Katz today, Why would anybody put anything past Vladimir Putin? US intel fines putin contest nadoes resolved with limited incursion. I think Russia has bigger issues. They would do this to try and get the US to waste time, money, resources doing this on the behest of whom one would assume, China, and no one should ever leave that out of their thinking. But right now there's a story that Ukraine doesn't have any missiles left to fire at Russia. I don't know if that's one hundred percent sure. Not Again, all these stories you never know. But with the Ukraine working so well on the drone tech and the US working with them now on the drone tech, this has been bad stuff for Russia. Russia within a few years could engage some of these scenarios. Does Vladimir Putin have a few more years?
Speaker 1: There's all.
Speaker 2: This is one of those reports where you go, huh, I have questions. Find everything at Tony Kats dot com. I'll catch you Monday. Everyone, take care,