Speaker 1: He said, an application process. You didn't have.
Speaker 2: My buddy Craig filled out no application.
Speaker 3: Did I Did I need some references? Give me three references.
Speaker 1: You didn't have no references?
Speaker 3: Yes, I did.
Speaker 2: Didn't.
Speaker 3: We did call the references and actually had he had interviews. A few friends of mine said they would have never done it. I said, well, that's why you would never marry me.
Speaker 2: That's it. Welcome to Bear Future Wifey podcast Kadiza and Craig, Sharif Drinker.
Speaker 1: How y'all doing.
Speaker 4: We're doing great this one.
Speaker 5: I also wanted to hear how you felt when you initially got that application.
Speaker 4: Little ego, who are you thinking?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: A little bit of that?
Speaker 7: And then what I realized that this application was.
Speaker 4: For her, but it was really about me.
Speaker 7: There is and if I couldn't write anything on this paper, who in mine to.
Speaker 4: Be in her space and her face?
Speaker 2: You're in law school at the time he was working at budget. You weren't the type of woman back then that said he has to be a doctor, going to be like the Huxtables and.
Speaker 1: All that stuff.
Speaker 3: I had a must have less and a nice to have less, right, and that must have less with somebody who was gone first and foremost who gave reverence to God, somebody who was a family person, and then also somebody who had character integrity. Then I also said tall, I ain't gonna lie.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Kadija, how much we spent on our life?
Speaker 3: Oh? Probably, like I was gonna say fifteen hundred, but maybe eighteen hundred dollars. Yeah, we had a budget wedding. Like we said, we had no money really and my husband's I worked at budget and you had a budget exactly.
Speaker 7: I would not be who I am and what I do without.
Speaker 3: Just want to hear it is power, we imagine my mission to get it, grow it, and give it away is a leadership journey about what it looks like to stand up in places that are not built for us, to leave with impact and integrity, and to help people understand how to use that power and that the power that we have at home is connected to the power that we have in the world.
Speaker 2: You talk to a lot of successful black men, what do they say is the tension in the dating tool?
Speaker 7: They are not willing to sacrifice their peace to deal with crazy because I have worked on myself and I'm not giving this up just because.
Speaker 2: What do you hear from the women.
Speaker 3: I'm hearing a lot of things.
Speaker 6: But.
Speaker 2: What started as a search for understanding became a journey of transformation. Every letter that I wrote led me to this day, the day I got married November twenty second, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 9: Dear my forever, Forever is a long time. That's how long I'll love you. Those lyrics echo through every fiber of my soul at the very thought of you.
Speaker 2: This journey has culminated with you as both the award and the reward of my pursuit of love. You are the award, the honor God placed before me, the recognition of growth, healing and becoming the man I needed to be.
Speaker 9: And you are the reward, the blessing given after endurance, the gift promised to those who were fuse to faint.
Speaker 2: This isn't just our story, this is for all of us. I'm a Terrassaar Whitfield.
Speaker 3: I'm Ashley our with Field.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Dear Future Wife Podcasts. Welcome to Dear Future Wifie podcast. I'm your host of Terra Sar.
Speaker 3: Wifield and I'm Ashley our with Field.
Speaker 1: Listen, are you still shacking up with us?
Speaker 2: Come on? If you're still shacking up with us, come on, can we get a commitment? Hit that subscription button and subscribe. Make sure you turn on your notification bell so you'll be notified about upcoming episodes. Now y'all heard me say this, it's so important for you to subscribe to the Dear Future WIFEI podcast. Why. It's because we have a lot of sponsors and advertisers who want to be connected to the Dear Future WIFEI Podcast, but they want to know that we have an engage audience that is consistent. ASA and I looked over the metrics and the analytics, and we found that fifty.
Speaker 3: Two percent, fifty two percent.
Speaker 2: Of people who listen to the podcast aren't even subscribed.
Speaker 1: That's a problem.
Speaker 3: That is a major problem.
Speaker 2: That means you find value in the content but won't hit a free subscription button. But I bet you if I check your Netflix account, you subscribe to that agent.
Speaker 9: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: Heymen, So I want you to make sure that you subscribe to the Dear Future WIFEI podcast so we can continue to put content out there for you and make it free. A lot of podcasts that you may like, a lot have gone to Patreon where they have to get paid for the content, and they charge you for it in order to subsidize the cost that it takes to put on these episodes every week. So just do your part. Hit that subscription button. Listen. Today's episode is gonna be extremely fun. We got Wisdom sitting on the yellow couch, Ashley's personal friends. She's been knowing them for years? How long you been knowing them?
Speaker 3: How?
Speaker 2: I ask them? How will will?
Speaker 10: Will?
Speaker 5: I believe I probably would say twenty fourteen is when I met fourteen?
Speaker 2: So you want to introduce to me on music? Introduce them you?
Speaker 3: I like the way you introduce our guests.
Speaker 1: Okay, So without further ado, welcome to give you to wife the.
Speaker 2: Podcast, our homies, Produzia and Craig so Drinker. How y'all doing?
Speaker 4: We're doing great? This one good Listen.
Speaker 2: We're excited to have you on the podcast. Why why don't you want to talk to them?
Speaker 5: Well, I you know, besides the fact that we go so far back, I am super excited because my big sis, my mentor, my sorority sister has a brand new book out with such great nuggets and information that we all need to consume, and so I'm excited about that, but most importantly, I'm excited about their love journey and how they came to be because I think it will offer a lot of great wisdom and nuggets to are awesome lit fam Kadijia.
Speaker 2: Yes, what do you do for a living? We're gonna go ahead and just talk about what you do so we can understand how you came to be well.
Speaker 3: First and foremost today as not only in my author thank you so much Ash for that, but also I oversee a business affairs department at and so I spend my days overseeing deal making and strategy for the network and production studios.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 1: Nework number one news network.
Speaker 2: And so we're going to unpack a lot of that just by understanding how you think, because I feel that's quite interesting and Craig has to deal with that on a database.
Speaker 4: Every day every day.
Speaker 2: Craig, Yes, sir, what do you do? Who are you king?
Speaker 7: I am the CEO of a private foundation that focus on the city of north called the Victoria Foundation.
Speaker 2: And so what I love about your story I had people hear me say this over and over again. I had guests on the podcast, Jason Wilson, who's out of Detroit. He built the Cave of Adulum, which is this young male leadership program. And he and his wife Nicole when they first met was she was an rin making way more money than he made, and he worked two jobs in order just to help support the family and felt quite less than and was working hisself to the bones, to the point to where he almost literally died because a forklift almost fell on him when he fell off of a loading dock backed up, and he said he was looking up to the heavens and he had to had to relearn what masculinity was because he felt like being you know, being a man, being a husband, you have to be a provider financially. And he said, I'm I'm I'm hurting myself. I don't even realize I have this partner here to help me. And he left me with this quote and he said he and his wife got it together together. He said, we got it together together mean and that we're both we just we didn't come into this marriage ready made, as you and I discussed, as we all discussed prior to this episode, that we helped build each other to where we want to be.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: Before we unpack how y'all came to be and how y'all got married? How does that quote resonate with you? Creg Well, that has been that.
Speaker 7: I think the secret source of our marriage is that our communication around anything we wanted to do, whether it's Kadida's early career journey and things that you want to do, we set down every time and had a conversation like like, what do you want to do? How does it going to impact the other person? And let's figure out what's the best way to kind of manage all the change that's going to happen with any decision we needed to make.
Speaker 2: Well, how did you who taught you that? Because a lot of times we're introduced to more of the toxic side of masculinity where I ain't gonna discuss, you ain't gonna discuss with me what you're gonna do, You're gonna come support what I gotta do, you gotta come follow me, and it's not we're going to have this healthy conversation about partnership.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I wish I had a clear example to say I love this from. I think it was just how I grew up, you know, very close with my mom before she passed, and I just just.
Speaker 4: Learned from her just the nurturing side.
Speaker 7: It helped me understand and listen, I pick up that skill by sitting in the kitchen with her for for years, for years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how important was that, Kadesion, Oh?
Speaker 3: It was huge. Was game changer because to your point, I've I've grown up in spaces where masculine masculinity looked toxic actually right, and power looked like it was abusive in many ways. And so for me to have a husband and a person who was a partner in power and in love be able to say to me some version of let's talk about it, right, that's important and that's part of what I was looking for and made. So it's a big it's a big deal.
Speaker 7: Well let's go I would add that if I made go ahead, that it didn't start off like that right away. You know, we came in as two individuals in love, right, and you're.
Speaker 4: Staying called love.
Speaker 7: And then we had to learn how to live together and like each other every day while still being in love.
Speaker 8: And so we learned.
Speaker 7: So I'll be honest, the first year or so, it was a lot of who's going to be the strong one?
Speaker 4: And I think for me it came down to the point of what was most important.
Speaker 7: Was it more important for me to win this fight or is it really more important for me to build for the future. And I opted to build for the future and not try to win a fight.
Speaker 2: And you said it took about a year to get to that, Yeah, I think so a little bit.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it was about the year. The first year was a little rocky, but I think also to Craig's point, it was because we were still understanding each other. We're trying to figure out who we are as new people to a marriage, because you're not the same person you were as an individual, and then you have to start to consider other people's personalities, feelings, timing, Do I say this now, do I not say this now? I had to learn how to figure out, like how to pause things, maybe address it a little bit later, even if I really thought it was important to say, maybe not at the moment. So it was a lot of things that we all be both learned, I think, in the process early. But again, it's really a question of whether or not you want to be right or you want to be right together, you know what I'm saying, And you can be right personally about a particular issue, but you can sacrifice your relationship oftentimes just because you want to make a point versus actually trying to get right with the other person. Years be married twenty nine in September nine, and.
Speaker 7: We dated for eleven months before we got married. Oh yeah, so it's not like we had like years together. So when we got together, that first year was a little intense because again, we were learning some things that normally people have courtships over along a period of time.
Speaker 4: Maybe they revealed themselves, but you know, we didn't have that.
Speaker 5: Now, did you all have like some like oversight or people kind of guiding you or was this really trial by fire?
Speaker 3: Excellent question. Well let me say this so, well, so we did have folks giving us some oversight in some ways because I actually, you know, we'll talk a little bit about this through the application process that I asked him to fill out and he.
Speaker 1: Said, an application process, Yeah you had.
Speaker 2: You didn't have, My buddy Craig filled out no application digit I did, Oh, we're gon, we're gonna get to that. Go ahead now, you said, yeah, Because.
Speaker 3: I think a big part of it was I wanted to understand who Craig was in totality, and I wanted him to actually lay out who he was. Also, I thought it was important to have transparency up front, to have clarity and to make sure we understood what this was gonna be. I didn't know what it was yet, so I was like, well, tell me about yourself. And so, long story short, I asked him not only to fill out an application to tell me you know who he was, give us some mission statement of sorts to read through, give me a sense of your resume. I need some references, give me three references. Yes, yes I did. You didn't call the We did call the references, and actually we had and he had interviews. He had to sit and talk to some people that I asked him to talk to to make sure that they could vouch for, you know, for me, like whether or not he was somebody I should pursue or you know, and understand like what this was going to be. And I was twenty four years old.
Speaker 1: Who told you do that?
Speaker 3: I just knew that I had enough life experience that I saw you on this a long time, said, because I knew what it looked like if we didn't ask the questions. And so I was like, ask these questions up front and more importantly, half other people help in the process, like make it a communal process. So that's just not me bringing somebody home. It's like my mama and my auntie, my cousins. Everybody's like, Okay, who is this young man that wants to talk to you? And then let's see, let's see if we can all talk to him together as a conducial So it wasn't just.
Speaker 2: No boyfriend situation. Now when you were talking to him, you were betting husband.
Speaker 3: I was betting husband. I was betting and to be honest, I was on a hiatus from dating anybody. So I was like, if you want to be in my space, we need to understand what this even is. What what are you coming with? Who are you and how are you going to show up? And how are you going to help improve my life? Like what are you bringing to the party? Twenty four years?
Speaker 5: So it was the appletic was that, like the first time y'all met, Like at what point?
Speaker 3: So it was a few months into it, So a few months and so a good friend of I was introduced us and have been trying to for a while, and I was and I was like, no, I'm not really interested. I'm in law school. I have a lot going on, a lot in my life. I moved back home. My mother was fighting cancer, my little sister was six years old. I had a lot going on. I was in Jersey City, but I moved ba to the projects in Harlem. I went back to Harlem to my two bedroom, three bedroom house, apartment whatever we lived in at that point. And the crazy part was, I was like, I don't have time. So who is this young man who's so nice? Nice young man, but don't have time. I didn't have time for this.
Speaker 2: I didn't have time.
Speaker 4: She thought, Well, that's why.
Speaker 3: I was like, okay, so what is it that you're trying to accomplish? And so he actually had the truth. He told that he came to me. He said he wanted to do an event. He wants to plan a pro a program. Well, he wants to plan a program. He did, but I didn't know that was a program. And so fast forward we find out that the program was the wedding. But I didn't know that was the program. I thought of what he said, it was a youth program, because both of us work with young people a lot. So that was the thing that he said wanted to get to me. So he finally came over one day and we've taught had this conversation. I said, well, if this is what you you're trying to do, I need to understand more about you. But you're gonna have to fill out some paperwork and then you're gonna have to sit for some interviews and we're gonna have to understand this whole thing. And I'm just serious. And it's a few friends of mine said they would have never done it, and I said, well, that's why you would never married me.
Speaker 1: That's it because you have.
Speaker 3: To understand so you know, like the the requirements of what it is that you need. And I think this was my own purpose and process of vetting. You don't have to do this particular thing, but I think that everybody should be vetted. Everybody should have a process everybody, however you choose to do it. You need to be able to say to yourself, I deserve somebody who has X, and I'm bringing why and I'm looking for z fuss to bill together. And that's what I personally did at twenty four, and I thought it worked out.
Speaker 2: What do you think I was just gonna say that when she first told you well, first, when the friend said, I have a friend that I would like to introduce you to.
Speaker 7: So actually they had shared that with our friend that is a couple. The wife shared it with her that she wanted U has onone for me. I didn't I didn't know any okay, So actually we met at a conference.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that all these.
Speaker 8: Years, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: I never knew that.
Speaker 8: I never knew that.
Speaker 3: She just told me. She just told you, So then why are you You saw me like you didn't really want me.
Speaker 4: So let's make the record straight.
Speaker 7: I was actually it was a conference, one day conference, and I was actually working at the conference.
Speaker 4: So I was volunteering to work at the conference.
Speaker 2: And when the.
Speaker 7: Friend introduced us, I was actually in the middle of making sure things from one workshop to the other was transitioning properly. And we met, I said, you know, pleasure.
Speaker 8: To meet you.
Speaker 7: She took me as being rude. My mom was thinking about the program using work mode.
Speaker 8: I was in work mode right because I was there to do.
Speaker 4: I was showing who I was committed.
Speaker 1: To be focused.
Speaker 7: And then later on at the end of the program, we had a chance to sit down and communicate and we exchange numbers and I pursued her.
Speaker 8: Right, this is true different.
Speaker 7: He was interested, But I would say I would say though before that when she when she came in, I noticed a lot of people in that conference who I respected. The excitement and joy that they displayed by seeing her made me say who is this woman? Because people and I really like had deep love and respect for and for them to be that excited about.
Speaker 4: This person coming in the door, I was like, wow, I know.
Speaker 2: Who this is.
Speaker 8: I need to know who this is, right, exactly sweet.
Speaker 2: And so you felt that he wasn't that interested and he was acting shy.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, because at first when she introduced us, she was like, you know, you know, this is Kditra, this is Craig, you know. So I was like, I sounded like him. He was like like he k like went over and did something else and I was like, oh, okay, well that was interesting, right, And then I didn't even know if that was him until she said, oh, that's who I want you to meet, and I was like, oh okay. I said, well he was interesting, you know, like he was cute, but he was interested. He was gone on to something else he did. But the thing I will tell you though, is that so as we moved to the next room, because it's all these different pans and all this stuff that was, you know, on the program. So I sit down at the table and then you know, I'm sitting next to some other people chatting, and then I see you that he's sitting next to me, and I'm like, oh, it's you. Okay. Then I get up and I move because I'm talking to somebody use again and just moving around the room, and I realized, I'm like, oh with you again. Oh he's next to me again. And everyplace I moved, I felt like he was sitting next to me each time.
Speaker 1: Was you doing that on purpose?
Speaker 4: I think I have a different recollection.
Speaker 7: But I'm gonna let her own it, right, I'm prone to forget his own number.
Speaker 8: It was cute.
Speaker 3: It was cute, but I mean, I'll I'll just put it this way. We were connected a few times in that during that day because I kept I kept feeling like he was right. Then I was like, oh boy, he is just really like moving around the room too. Is he following me? And then when we were time to leave, he gave me his card, and on the card he gave me a few numbers, and I mean a few by like five. I was like, I was like, he had a beep of two. I was like, this is.
Speaker 8: Late nineties, right, I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, dude, I'm not gonna be calling me all these places. Just call me exactly by the back of the car. And so I was like, Okay, so clearly he's gonna call me. You just called me, d he called me call? Yeah. How long did you wait to call.
Speaker 8: Later that week?
Speaker 3: It was, yeah, a couple of days, A.
Speaker 7: Couple of days a Saturday maybe by that Wednesday.
Speaker 2: And when you called, what were you calling for?
Speaker 4: You know, that's a great question, what would you call them for?
Speaker 7: When I was I was fulfilling my commitment and said I was going to call on your word.
Speaker 4: I was on my word.
Speaker 7: And I was curious one to follow up on the project because we did say that we wanted to write an article around the program that we had pulled together, and she had volunteered to.
Speaker 4: You know, she was a journalist for the Muslim journals. She was one of their staff writers.
Speaker 7: And so I reached out from the stat on behalf of the organization to fill in any information she may have needed. So that was part one, and then Bartu is that I did want to know who this person was.
Speaker 2: At what point did it turn romantic instead of it start off with interest? What made you interested more in her on a romantic level?
Speaker 8: You know, as we started talking right away, it went quickly.
Speaker 7: From you know how when you sometimes you meet someone it's light and nonsubstantive.
Speaker 4: I was kind of shifted quickly to more substance.
Speaker 7: Her mom was, you know, she mentioned earlier, was recovering from cancer. I had lost my mother about a decade before that, so I knew the serieses of that we talked about. I think I shared with you some of the things I remember my mom going through, particularly with chemo and radiation, Like, hey, this may happen, medicine may have advanced, but this is what we So we ended up having conversations.
Speaker 4: At that level, like really early.
Speaker 7: She was in law school, so I realized she was balancing a lot with her mom, with law school, her other assignment she had with law school, and she had a little sister that she had to make sure moved around. So I was in Jersey, she was in New York, and you know, I would drive from Jersey to New York sometimes just to take her from law school and drive her home. Really, and we would just at midnight, yeah really, and then drive back home just so we can continue the conversation.
Speaker 2: That's good. Yeah, that's good. So she was twenty three, and y'all have an age difference, what four years, five years? And so you drove over there to pick up What did that mean to you for him to want that level of quality time, even if it's just an hour or so.
Speaker 3: No, it's it was a game changer, because I mean, you know, I was literally like my days were crazy, I literally were I was in the law school classes during the day. I would get my little sister at like three o'clock from school. I would take her home. I would go get them fed, go back to law school to deal my cases. I had some cases in the clinic that I was litigating in and then I had classes and homework and my professors were there helping me, and they understood like all the challenges, and so by the time I get out of the look out of the library, it was like, I don't know, some version of like midnight, one o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: And then Craig would be waiting outside in the car to take me home, then to drive back to Jersey just to make sure I got home. Okay. Yeah, so it was really yeah. Yeah, and sometimes I think it's had to be there like a five or six o'clock some days. Yeah, she was.
Speaker 4: All right, all right, right.
Speaker 2: You would go and sit outside wait till she leave, take up there, and then go back home and then probably go to sleep about three hours and then go to work four hours and get it and go to work.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I remember when when our first early interactions.
Speaker 7: I came over one Saturday and you didn't know.
Speaker 4: I said something about I will cook. He was like cook. She know I know how to cook.
Speaker 3: He knows how to cook.
Speaker 7: And so we went to the supermarket to buy some food. And I think she was still skeptical if I know how to cook. And we're in the supermarket and we were we were fighting over paying at the register.
Speaker 4: And I was like, I'm not going to let like yeah.
Speaker 8: She was like I got it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So I went and we took the food back to her mother's apartment and.
Speaker 4: I cooked the meal for her mom. A little sister in Kadiji, and we all had dinner together.
Speaker 2: Things like that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the first time I actually went to the matter of fact, the first time I went to go see Khadija a couple I think a week or so after we first met, uh, I spent more time sitting the couch talking to her mother than talking to Kdija.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't know much about talk for like two hours.
Speaker 4: I talked for two hours on the couch.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was in the kitchen cooking and organizing things. And my mother said to me at the end of the night, he was a nice young man. I said, oh, was he? I didn't know much because I didn't get to talk with him that much. He said, oh, yeah, he's funny too. She had all these things to say, and I kept saying, that's interesting. I didn't get to see much. I didn't get to know him, you know, that much that evening. But but then he came back and then so I got to talk to him more. But my mother had all the details.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you, so, so did your mom. Did you get a sense of approval when your mom was talking about him.
Speaker 3: M you know how your mama do. When she was like, he's a nice young man, she went right there. I was like, okay, Mama. Once came in at one time, right, But it was really comfortable.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was really comfortable sitting there talking with her mom.
Speaker 4: And even today we're still cool. We have a special relationship with your mother in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's so funny. They're like two peas in the pod.
Speaker 2: Yeah something.
Speaker 1: But you see how beautiful that is.
Speaker 2: You said you lost your mom ten years prior to you know, yeah, meeting her mom, and then the first encounter you have was more of a connection with her mom than even the woman that you were interested in, exactly. That's the beautiful It's just how God works. It's like, why did that have to happen like that, you know what I'm saying. It's like why y'all could have met somewhere else? Your mom couldn't even didn't even have to be a part of that discussion, right, And then it was like this moment that you got a chance with her mom and you said you are still think of thieves his very day. Yeah, yeah, this is absolute beautiful. I love not hear moments like that.
Speaker 5: You say something I was about to say, so we wanted to all. I also wanted to hear how you felt when you initially got that application, because I think it's one thing to know it's coming, but then it's another thing to be on the receiving end of it.
Speaker 4: So two things, well, a few things.
Speaker 7: One I knew I couldn't share this with none of my homeboys for they to clown me right to.
Speaker 2: Application all that.
Speaker 3: Now when they found out, they're.
Speaker 7: Like, what, yeah, I'm catching it now. For some from my friends who read their book, like, yo, man, you didn't.
Speaker 4: Tell me that.
Speaker 7: You don't come up in conversations things we just know. Yeah, So one show it was. It was that first one. I think the second one was a little ego like.
Speaker 2: Who are you thinking?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 7: A little bit of that, but then you you have this this more I speak for me.
Speaker 4: I had this moment and I was.
Speaker 7: Like, hmm, let's pause for a second. And then what I realized that this application was for her, but it was really about me.
Speaker 2: There it is right, there is.
Speaker 4: And if I couldn't write anything on this.
Speaker 7: Paper, if I didn't have any people who I could put up to say, let me speak to his.
Speaker 4: Character there it is? Who am I to be in her space and her face?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 7: I would say that that was That was probably more in the more deep into subconscious.
Speaker 4: As almost married thirty years.
Speaker 8: I could admit it, and I can admit it now loud.
Speaker 7: But really it came out there and I had to look at that. When I wrote it, I was like.
Speaker 4: Hmm, not bad.
Speaker 7: You got some gaps here, not so much for her, but some things that you still want to do for yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so lit up.
Speaker 1: So then what stage that the app case and get introduced.
Speaker 3: Oh so we were probably talking like about three months. And then I was like, okay, look, you know I have spent a lot of time in my life analyzing all the things that were twenty four at twenty four ye.
Speaker 2: You know years old talk about right, that's but you know you.
Speaker 5: See a lot of twenty four and so were you guys fit? Like what did you? How did you all? Because some people don't believe in boyfriend girlfriends, people do like, what would you how would you describe your relationship?
Speaker 3: Three months? So I think three months you were about.
Speaker 7: To say, No, I don't want to get this wrong.
Speaker 3: I don't get this wrong. I wouldn't say we were a boyfriend and girlfriend because I don't think that that was I think that we were trying to understand if this was going to be a courtship for me or a commitment because I was I was interested in being then girlfriend. I was like, I don't have time for it, So what is it that we're doing here? But that was the application process. It was like, this is the reason why the application needs to come up, because if you you can come and hang out with us and talk we were friends, that's nice, but what are we doing? I need to understand that. So that was actually really my way of nudging to say, put on paper, bro, what you're trying to do here? I need to understand it. Do you remember how you said?
Speaker 5: Because I know a lot of the women, Okay, walk us through how you communicated to him?
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I think we were putting dishes that we were cleaning up the kitchen after dinner and he was helping. I think I was washing, he was drying or whatever the dishes and we were chatting, and I was just like, you know, so what are we doing?
Speaker 4: I was putting up.
Speaker 3: Okay, well okay, well we were we were together, we were doing the dish. We were doing the dishes together. I think I asked him something like, so what is this? What are we doing?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: How what do we what are you what's happening here exactly? Because you know, now, mind you, I had already said, you know, I was done with a lot of other stuff in life, and I was just trying to make sure, like I don't need anybody else to take care of per se. I don't mind being a partner in something, but I need to understand, like what is it that the person is bringing. So I asked him, I salf so, you know, I have some ideas about how we can get to what we're trying to do, but what is it that you want to do? And he was like, you know, I want to be with you. I think that was his answer. And I was like, well what does that look like? And then he was like, you know, like together and I was like, okay, well I have I have a process figure and then he said, well what are you thinking. I was like, I'll get back to you, but it's going to require an application. And then I was like it was that, and then I said, I'll give you some stuff and you can get back to me and we'll have a because you have a two week process time to kind of get all your paperwork together, and then i'll let you know after you submittion. How did you have this application pre made? No? Created it right? No, it was It wasn't making. I had to organize it and stuff. But I knew what in my mind I was percolating like what I needed to know, And I was like, we're going to need to figure out some things, and I want to see it on paper, because you know, listen, we do all this stuff for jobs, for internships, for colleges, right, we do all the business stuff to make sure that we get the job right. We got the right position, the right title, the right everything. And then in our lives we were just floating our lives when something take up space, right, we always want to be chosen. We don't want to do the choosing. I want to be choosing and chosen. And so I was like, we're gonna need to have a process here, and I want him that's right, right, And I want him to feel like also that he is getting the best that he needs for him because maybe we weren't just compatible, we would have a good time together. Maybe we weren't supposed to be married. Just figure that out real quick, right, And then we have our parents and now I love ones helping us navigate this to ask the questions to and then the other thing is that the one thing I loved about Craig. After he finished his process and I told him he was accepted.
Speaker 1: You have permission to move on to the next.
Speaker 3: And let me tell you what he did. He said, said that was such an excellent process. Would you mind doing the same thing for me? I need you to fill out an application too.
Speaker 2: I said, I said.
Speaker 3: I clutched my parents for a second, but I said, right, that makes sense. Let me get let me get to the world. It's the application in the book. It's not you know why why because those of you'll want to application, you're gonna have to ask me.
Speaker 4: To get that.
Speaker 3: Afraid I didn't get that for a free But anyway, get the book because the book is good.
Speaker 4: Crib yes, sir.
Speaker 2: Well, first I'm gonna ask you, so, when you got the application, how long did it take you to turn it in?
Speaker 4: Oh? I definitely took all I took them for two weeks.
Speaker 7: Yeah, As I mentioned, you know, like first like yeah, and then you just kind of like yeah, and then you realize you.
Speaker 8: Don't have those things readily available.
Speaker 7: So I had to like sit down and be thoughtful and you know what is ah, what is my mission statement?
Speaker 4: What is some things I want to accomplish?
Speaker 7: So I had to spend some time being not only reflective, but that is just so good to me and but also for me to start thinking thinking forward.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 7: You know, at the time Kadidi was in her list year of law school and at the time I didn't even have my college dugree. Right, so it's like, hm, wow, oh, but I wasn't intimidated by that. It was just a reflection point in my life.
Speaker 2: Is like, hmmm, why weren't.
Speaker 1: You intimidated by that? A lot of men would find.
Speaker 2: Intimidation behind an intelligent, educated woman, especially from the realm of law, Like that's the whole you like, Lord, this later going to be debating stuff.
Speaker 8: But that's that's true. That's I didn't say that didn't happen.
Speaker 7: That didn't happen, But I enjoyed it because that was about mine expansion, the expansion, and I really loved that. So I wasn't intimidated by it. And she just mentioned now it could have we could have come to the conclusion that we weren't compatible, but it wasn't from a sense of me being intimidated by her and what she was, the lofty things she had already accomplished in that good likely to accomplish it. She was I thought, was a very fascinating person, had all these experiences. We had similar upbringings, but different enough that it was still exciting.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: So what would you say about this condesia because you said, here it is. He even said you had lofty goals ambition. You're in law school at the time. My buddy Craig, he was working at budget. Yeah, budget, And so you weren't the type of woman back then that said I see myself married to another attorney and we can do this, or he has to be a doctor. We're going to be like the Huxtables and all that stuff. Like you didn't have this ideology at twenty four. You had all this other stuff figured out, You had applications and all that.
Speaker 1: You didn't see that in your future, or.
Speaker 2: You were like I was looking more for character.
Speaker 3: Well, I was looking more for a character for sure, because I mean, the thing I I knew also is that you could have somebody who has money, power, titles, but it didn't necessarily mean that their person was going to be good for me. In my own life right. I was standing on my own business too, so I knew I could take care of myself ultimately. But what I was looking for, I had a must have less and a nice to have less right, and that must have less with somebody who was God fearing first and foremost, who gave reverence to God. Somebody who was a family person who understood how to care for their families. And then also somebody who had character, integrity, who was loyal, who understood, who was caring, who was nurturing all those things. I think that sometimes we, you know, we don't really think about as much, and sometimes in relationships when we're thinking about is he going to be? And I also said tall, I ain't gonna lie somebody taller than me. I was like, somebody taller than me, but on the nice to have list with some other things. And I was like, you know, if they want to have or he wants to have, you know, a career, an extra Y or Z, that's fine. Long as he's fulfilled and happy.
Speaker 2: Right as he fulfilled and happy, why don't we hear more of that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, as long as he's fulfilling happy.
Speaker 2: I've never heard anybody say that it's always based on the woman's fulfillment and validation of his career choice. And we always and I hate when people say this. They'll use the teacher as the lowest standard or something like. I mean they say, if they were a teacher, would I be comfortable? Like you know, how fulfilling that to be an actual teacher? How much reference that as I have for our teachers? And then you'll be like, I mean, let's say that. I mean, people ask them, could you be married to a school teacher? Like that's like that's low and I'm like, what so that means so much to hear you say, as long as he's fulfilled, because if that person's calling is to be a gym coach, to be a teacher, to be whatever it is, then that's what makes them happy.
Speaker 1: That's what makes them satisfy.
Speaker 2: And who are you to come into their life and be like mm hmm, that's this is I.
Speaker 3: Can never accept this and you like that's fine.
Speaker 2: That's why I've always want to be like that's all you want to be like, yeah, should I not? You know, my daddy was this and I've always wanted to do that and be like, no, that's not good enough to and so how did you adopt that ideology at twenty four, at the old age of two, because you've been on the firth a long time, So at twenty four years old, how did you learn that, especially been around peers that may not have thought.
Speaker 1: The same way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I don't think that we the first and foremost. I think each one of us is valuable in our own right, right. I think that every single person has a story that is worth hearing, being told, respected, And so you know, I'm not here to tell people what they need to be and what they don't need to be. I think a lot of times people prescribe things on other people that they haven't fulfilled in their own lives. And so for me, I was just focusing on being whole myself, like, because you should do the best that you can do what you have, right, And we came from very humble beginnings and right, both of us, so we understood. I was in Harlem, he was in Newark, right, and we both grew up in very challenging circumstances at times. And so you know, I was just trying to stand up and use my power as best I possibly could, and then make sure I share what I had with other people so they could actually do the same thing for themselves and other people as well. That power sharing is so important to me. So I wasn't trying to change him. I just wanted somebody who was willing to work with me and to help me become better at who I wanted to be. And I think that's just so important. I think so often sometimes people get married and think that I have to change the person. I got to make my husband do this. I had to build amand this n't build a beer, right. You know what I'm saying. This is like we need to be working together in concert to make sure that we're fulfilling who we can ultimately be our best selves. And usually the person that you marry, if they can bring out the best in you. I mean, that's really what partnership truly is about. So I didn't really care what he did for a job as long as it was legal, it was wholesome.
Speaker 8: That's good.
Speaker 3: Legal and wholesome. I was good, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: But I think that's been one of our our secret sources of superpowers is around sitting down having these conversations around you know, where we were individually and what are some of our aspirations and not being afraid to talk about that, and then hear from the other person how we could be supportive. So could he just finish his law school? I ended up going back to school finishing my undergrad degree, and then later a few years later, you know, got my MBA. In between that, we Kadiza, we had a conversation around she wanted to focus up. She had the opportunity to grow in her career and was like, hey, let's have this conversation.
Speaker 4: We got this little baby.
Speaker 8: You work in the city.
Speaker 7: I'm on this side. It's easier for me to drop the baby off in the morning, pick pick the baby up, whatever we need to do, so you can have these pursuits that you gonna make you feel feel fulfilled and not just be limited to you have to be a mother now come home like, no, what are the things that's gonna make you feel like you're a full person. And then when my opportunities came, we did the same thing. So even when the book, when Kadida decided she was gonna write this book, like okay.
Speaker 3: That's a third baby, right and powery imagine, yes, really.
Speaker 8: You need your writing time you need to go do that.
Speaker 7: I got it right, you know, don't worry about this, don't worry about that. And so we've always been really good and listening and helping each other kind of reach their dreams and inspire for more.
Speaker 2: When I said I love hearing healthy, when I say, it does something to me because I know the disconnect and why the black experience is what it is is because we don't hear enough healthy examples and what reign supreme on social media is the toxic examples. And they don't hear like you, like we hear so much about people looking for ready made people like you need to be if you're going to be an attorney, be an attorney. Don't be in the process of becoming one. Don't be when you're failing the test. I don't want you while you failing. I need you passed and passing, already, attorney, already, a partner, already, all this stuff, and it's like, yeah, like how many How easy is it for anybody to choose the finished product of anything?
Speaker 3: Oh it's so easy. Yeah, it's so easy. And I've had people I told you, people have told me that they would have never married a man like Craig who was working at budget as a manager without having at a college degree, right, let alone like not that's just an undergraduate degree, not alone a graduate degree.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So it was like you were already on your way, you know. And I'm like, but see you missing the point, missed it, you know. And so I think so many people miss the opportunity to find really good people, to get partners in life that really could compliment and then to build something together, which is more beautiful in my opinion, Like you know what I mean, you know, I get when I think about the fact that Craig was going to school at night after he left his job. During the day, we were paying for his school. And then then he would another job and they start paying for his school. And the next thing, you know, he finished that, he graduated with honors. It was wonderful.
Speaker 2: I was there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was beautiful. Then I went to his next thing and he got his NBA and we had a little baby girl and she was in the class with him some nights. He would say in the class, yes and taken with him. The class should be in the back of the class sometimes with them, and that all the all the graduate students should be taking terms playing with her to make sure they'd gotten from a quantum accounting or whatever the case is they were taking for his NBA. And then I would because I was working late in the city. I was at my job, you know, doing meeting up pulling midnight hours sometimes right. And then he was like, I got don't worry, I got it. You just get home safely. You know what I'm saying. He maybe any fool for every child that we had never ate draw food. Every Sunday was the day. But he was making baby food. And I used to eat it too, because it's so darned I did. That's what was delicious. It was like sweet potatoes and carrots and apples and sweepertails and carrots together. And I'd be like, and every time I traveled, I was nursing both big kids. I would travel with them on my trips, and he would say he would freeze the food who had pass and things now would care with me. My sister would meet me on the trip and so she can help me take care of those kids. But he would pack all the food and events.
Speaker 2: So I'm saying, when I say, God and all his infinite wisdom knew that even his upbringing from his mom teaching him how to cook, will be necessary for him to even make custom made baby food for y'all's.
Speaker 3: Kids, right, you know, it's like every little.
Speaker 2: Intricate details that your vision couldn't even see it. If you were only stuck on the right now, you'll never be able to see what was going to take place years later. And what's so I think so many people have are so short sighted and their dating process that they don't even know how to discern the type of character that they need.
Speaker 1: In a husband.
Speaker 2: A lot of people still be hung up on your height requirement or prefer I ain't gonna say requirement because yeah, because you said bust have and would like to have. So they'd be like, what she would like to have? Oh no, that's a must have, like really, like really, so as long as he's this height while you're sitting up there lugging the kids, sitting at your office with the baby, so you're cool with that, And they'd be like, oh no, no, I need a man at least gonna have to share in that. Okay, now you just said you in the future you want somebody sharing that, So what are you willing to negotiate to, and a lot of times they're just not using wisdom on what they consider a none negotiable. A lot of times people are calling stuff that's the none negotiable, and you be like, when you got married, you'll realize that that is not a true negotiable. This just don't make sense, don't And so I get excited when I hear couples that has been married almost thirty years that are able to come and say, let me tell you this, even the experience that the people around y'all, and this is what God is showing me in your NBA program. The people got a chance to witness what fatherhood looks like.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: The fact that because typically you wouldn't see a father with the kids sitting up here while there in school, that mama backed her be the one taking care of that kid, because you ain't finna come in. I ain't gonna be walking around with no kid like that. We're not gonna do that. That's a mother's job. So they got a chance to witness not only what fatherhood looks like, but husbandry on the truest sense of what husbandry looks like. So I get excited when I hear stuff like that, because I'll be like, God, we just get it so wrong. And you hear a key thing where you said the stuff that y'all got a chance to experience while y'all were getting it together together, that that's what brings a deeper bond with each other.
Speaker 1: You're like, man, you remember.
Speaker 2: We were struggling. You remember we went had and you remember when we didn't have. Like people can look at us right now and say this. We could ask you to celebrate and say, hey, you over here working with one of the biggest with the number one news station, But what happened before that, what happened in the interim, That's right, that's.
Speaker 3: What fortifies your marriage.
Speaker 5: So a lot of times people want the end result without doing the work.
Speaker 3: That it takes to get there.
Speaker 5: And everybody can acknowledge like, oh, if I want muscles, I can't just go to the gym for one day, right, There's like some consistency that I have to put into to grow muscles. And so hearing the story, I think it is so helpful for everyone because it's like, Okay, this is the work that we put in to get the harvest that we wanted, but without you know, planning the right seeds and then watering them time after time and growing though you know you don't get that harvest.
Speaker 2: You had a woo statement when I said the struggle. Let's talk about the struggle. What kind of struggle that y'all go through as y'all was in the interim and the build up stage.
Speaker 4: Oh well it was.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 7: It was a list of things, and I'm so there. Of course, is getting to know each other's struggle.
Speaker 2: Put the microphone closer to you. You're trying to get all booted up with y'all boot up.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, it's the struggle of getting to know each other and getting to know yourself differently as a husband and as a wife. Right, I'm a different person than I was before the day we got married. Right, So it was that struggle. And then it was the reality of the financial struggle. Right, you know, we realized earlier she ain't have a lot. I have a lot.
Speaker 4: But let's try to figure out how we build something together.
Speaker 7: I think one one key moment we had we were set down women.
Speaker 4: The insurance lady came. She's laughing.
Speaker 7: So these lady's came to sell us some financial services and you know, we were, you know, making pittings at the time, and she sat down, she was sisters walking us through everything, and she was like, well.
Speaker 8: It looks like if you all just can script and save some more money. I was like, no, that's not the issue. We need to make more money.
Speaker 3: She said, cut back on this, cut back on it. We didn't cut back on everything, and.
Speaker 8: Then that's to cut back, go down to bone.
Speaker 7: But then and that point though, we would still find ways to be able to show each other joy and appreciation even when we didn't have a lot of financial resources. In the it was it could be a card, it could be sometimes I will find an.
Speaker 3: Outfit for her, a shop for me, shop for a lot of time.
Speaker 4: Right and she would come home and be a few outfits there for her, things like that.
Speaker 7: But those things let me know that when if we can go through this, we can.
Speaker 1: Build for the long term part.
Speaker 7: And everything we've been doing was we talked about this last night. The balance between living in the moment and appreciating the moment while always thinking about the future life that you want to have together.
Speaker 3: That's good, yeah, because you know the thing is that and you know, I've started to realize I was telling Craig, there's so many people that we start to actually that we know who's plan for retirement. Sometimes one of the spouse's passes away before they even get there, right, And so you're pushing everything off until like when we retire, we're going to do all these things versus like we want to do some things now, but we're also going to keep planning for some other things. And so I think, you know, we're just trying to be grateful. One. I think just gratitude is everything to me. I think we both just tall our kids this too, Like you know, if you're grateful, you will get more, Like you just have to be grateful. Yeah, the same thing. It's just so important. And then and then the other thing is, you know, I laugh oftentimes when I think about, like going back, I was talking about the credit card. Craig and I had two credit cards that we share, and I think that one of them had a limit like a three hundred dollars and we would like we were.
Speaker 11: Literally like pay off the secure one, right, you gotta put your money down, and we were like, oh my gosh, we got to build out credit right, and literally you put boys up next to you and you're like, we got two ninety already spent.
Speaker 3: We got ten dollars laugh. And then you built, you paid off and that's got the same thing.
Speaker 8: It was.
Speaker 3: At those priorities order. What the crazy part is is that I was thinking about that and I was like, you know, just how like we just can't act only kept working in that way, and then next thing, you know, we were able to buy a house one time, you know, one year, and the next time the first.
Speaker 1: Time you get an unsecured car.
Speaker 8: That's right, you go from.
Speaker 2: A secure car to unsecure. They be like, hey, we're going to send you your deposit back. You was like, yeah, they start you off at that three hundred dollars credit limit, get back and then they give you five hundred and I'm earning trust.
Speaker 3: You know what I forgot about that, That's right, That is that was a graduation.
Speaker 1: You did something.
Speaker 2: It's like every milestone that shows you that you're in trusted before you ever get trusted with a whole mortgage.
Speaker 3: That's true. Actually that is true though. But by the time we did that and we got that little house Stough, we were so excited. We were like, oh, we want to come up in that little key house, but it was it was all the you know, all those small.
Speaker 2: Things like that.
Speaker 4: And we got married in ninety seven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, September.
Speaker 7: Of ninety seven. June of twenty of two thousand. Yeah, this all happened at the same time. We're moving into our first house. We're going to a Ruble for vacation, and we.
Speaker 2: Were a new car.
Speaker 1: The Rubles where we spent the honeymoon.
Speaker 3: We have such great memories about a Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but we were committed to this.
Speaker 7: And then to your point, when you are make the commitment, things is kind of they speed up and they magnify that much much more because we were committed to each other into the process for each other.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So what did you say to those people who questioned you?
Speaker 3: Like, I didn't have to say much because they see me now. So I was like, they know, they come around. I just like, I don't have to say much. I think they just you know, it's like, you know, the the evidence is here, you know where we are, and you know, I think a part of also is reminding people because a lot of times a those people don't get married ever, they don't find their person, and you know, you miss perfect exactly and not progress, right, And so I think, you know, like just being able to really you know, be a resource for people. I'm always happy to tell people and share with them like a better way to operate in terms of looking for me. But I think also really what I wanted to say to folks is you know, we are all of us or works in progress, and so you know, such this this is something wonderful about building together as you both know. Also, it's such something beautiful about being able to go back and talk about those memories and like how you start off, or even things that you you thought probably you know you had together that you realize you didn't have it together. Or even when you lose you think you got something and you lose it and you have to regain it. You know, all those things matter, right, Trust in relationships, building trust, you know, it's not just about the financial stuff, not just about the accolades and the degrees, but it's also about like how do you establish trust in a relationship and how do you build that so that you all and all of us can be in these relationships that where we really ultimately feel like we're with the person who we can put our heart in their hands, right, And so for me, like I can put my heart in Craig's hands, and I know he ain't gonna just like squish it up. It's gonna be like a situation where it's gonna be it's gonna be like that surgeon who's like, this is the last heart we got, We got have to put this in this person's boy, this is all we have in the world. So I think that's really important for me to be in that space and to be emotionally and psychologically safe, right, And the relationship is really really important.
Speaker 2: Y'all get there though, when you look at twenty nine years how did you get to a place? You got this grown twenty four year.
Speaker 10: Old, you know, you.
Speaker 2: Got this twenty nine year old and y'all dating, and y'all trying to figure out why y'all are because a lot of times, Kadija and Craig y'all too young to be getting married. You know, y'all get married at twenty fold twenty y'all don't even know each y'all't even know y'all selves, So y'all shouldn't even get married, which I literally debunked that ideaology, uh, in my book Student of Love. But a lot of times people think that y'all too young. Go learn a little bit, go experience, find out who you are, and then after you know who you are, then get married and that makes a healthier relationship. And so how did y'all deal with the becoming of yourselves and the becoming of a wife and title of a husband, and how y'all find safety with each other while just trying to navigate just life as a whole.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you want to go first, you know what. I think one of the most important things really for me was being open to the fact that I was really independent as a young person. I was in my mind self sufficient in some ways, and I wanted to make sure that what I knew that I had to I'm gonna have to give up some of this right, some of this ego. I had to kind of figure out, like how to try to focus on being more vulnerable as a woman. I think that was hard for me because I was so used to fixing things for so many other people, and so being vulnerable was one those things I know, I.
Speaker 1: Think didn't I think I brought out here for a reason.
Speaker 3: That we used to you know, listen, we've been running you know, you run them life, you're trying to you know, you're doing all these things. And so so for me to be able to have someone who I could say, oh wait, holds up, I can have you help me in this Like that's that's hard, right, but it was beautiful. That is hard. It is hard, right, But I think that's how we got there because I had to start to sit back to and say, girl, let him help you, like you know, you're helping everybody else. Girl, let him help you.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: And that was that was a moment for me when when when I started to do that, it changed a lot of things, Like the argument stopped on some things. We were ladying by some of the simplest things and I was like, well we aren't about that, and he's like, I'm just trying to help you. I'm like, oh help me for he was like, because that's what I do.
Speaker 2: I want to help you.
Speaker 3: And I'm like okay. And once I got to that place where I was like, yeah, well that's the thing though, right for for the kindness. So when I got past those things and I was like, girl, let this man help you. Child, You've been asking for somebody to be here for you and then you got to help come on now. And that was actually really a game changer for me and my own experience. I think in terms of the relationship, and then I think for you, Craig, you do.
Speaker 4: You want to do it.
Speaker 8: To set you out?
Speaker 7: And for you, well, it's been our journey, you know, coming from a personality type that is used to helping and having someone who wants to help you is kind of awkward, Like why you want to do why you want to do that?
Speaker 8: I'm used to being doing that. And so.
Speaker 4: We use this term like we.
Speaker 7: Try to outdo each other in goodness we try to that's we try to outdo each other and good we don't try to outdo each.
Speaker 4: Other and other stuff and like who gets the most likes?
Speaker 3: Like I'm not on social media that much, He's not on social at all?
Speaker 8: Right, Like that, it's like.
Speaker 4: How do we just can.
Speaker 7: Do these things just for the joy of it. But then, as you know, trust is built over time, and I trusted her like on this journey when we first got married, and then this this this milestones when you go, wow, we're still here. Wow that that that argument didn't didn't cause us to break up. Or say things. The one one instance that I remember, we were moved into the house and look about so so so. On the weekends a lot, her mom used to come over, right, So one Friday, her mom, her mom came over. I picked them up from the train station, and for some reason, soon we get in the car, she and I bickering about I can't remember what, but all the way home it was like a ten minute drive home, we bickering. We're in the house for like twenty minutes, we bickering, and then I was like, oh, it's seven o'clock. We got this dinner reservation. The argument was over. Her mother was like, what the hell just happened? Because her mom had always made like arguments always ascarated to the different types of of your mom and s head, but different types of intensity. I did that way. And then when we went to dinner, she said, I gotta ask you our question. How was yall able to turn it off? And this be at this dinner like nothing like five minutes ago. But it was just that moment, right, But because we had we had trust that that was just a moment.
Speaker 4: It wasn't. It wasn't a relationship.
Speaker 7: And to be honest, it's still a journey, right, and it's the it's the beauty part of this work where you still could find that you still have other things and about yourself, you still can share and that person is learning about you in a good way. Like you got bigger aspirations, you got bigger dreams.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 7: We getting to an age like, so, what's next? Our kids are grown now, my kids are finishing college. You've done this, you're doing the things in your career.
Speaker 4: What's next for us?
Speaker 7: What's next for you? How can I support? She's asking me the same question, Craig, what do you want to do next? And so we get a chance to slowly and properly reveal ourselves and put ourselves on the tape, to make ourselves vulnerable, to let each other know that we still need each other throughout your journey.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you, how did y'all learn how to not build monuments out of a moment?
Speaker 3: M I think for me personally, I just recognize that I've seen what the result is. And you can lose a lot of a lot of trusting each other and also real respect when people tier other down. And so even when we argue, we had some rules about how we debate, like you know, you can't. You can debate the issue, but don't tear each other down, like you can't call you know, name call in. This is some things we don't do. We don't you know, you ain't no good, we don't do that, right. It's like, no, no, let me tell you how I felt in the moment. Let me tell you how you hurt me. Or let me say when you said that you hurt me, because this is and then when you do it that way, it's a whole other thing because now it's like, wait, hold up, your feelings are real, Like I was hurt by that.
Speaker 2: You can't.
Speaker 3: I can't tell him he wasn't hurt because when he says he was hurt, then I'm like, okay, well that wasn't my intention, right, So now it's about what do we what's the real thing we're trying to debate because I think sometimes too, you know, oftentimes we were arguing about something, but it's not even about that thing, So what is underlying here? Like what's that under the surface? So I'm like, what's the real thing? And sometimes Craig we used to go he was like, cause, what's the real thing yit, baby, what's the real thing, because you're saying this, but it's not really that. It has to be about something else. And I'm like, okay, well that's true. Yeah, but those are the kinds of things should be able. So people have to know each other enough one, I think, to care for each other, because that's what I'm saying. You have to like the person, you have to care for the person, and the love will grow when you do those things right. But but it can't. When I first my Craig, I wasn't he was cute all but I didn't know him like to be. I wasn't on romanticized by the whole thing. It wasn't hoiw I got to understand who he was in his heart that I started to say, Oh, I really like him. He's a nice person. His soul is kind, he is a purified soul.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 3: I love this fact that he thinks about all these other things. So but I didn't know that from the outset. I had to know that by knowing him better, right, So I feel like a lot of.
Speaker 8: I mean, she had to learn what was underneath that budget uniform.
Speaker 7: That's right around the intensity of being intensity in the moment. One thing I I think we have grown and is a lot of times and those intense moments when someone is expressing how they feel, sometimes we like to say, well, you do the same thing.
Speaker 8: And what we.
Speaker 7: Had to come to the agreement on is like, let's stay in a moment, let me own whoever it is, let me own my part of it, and not go, well, well you do the same thing, and so like this has some adult ownership or some of our own issues. We can get to the other stuff later, but not like discredit how you feel and what your experience was and so good. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's go some time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So a lot of people would say, like, man, marriage is too that sounds too challenging.
Speaker 3: It sounds a.
Speaker 5: Little bit like struggle of like y'all, y'all been together for twenty nine years, but y'all still argue, Like I got more peace alone because right like now, people say, I don't really need to get married. I'll just switch the person out. This way, I don't have to do the work. I don't have to argue because I don't want to be trying to.
Speaker 3: You know, I got it, learned them.
Speaker 5: And that sounds like a lot of work, and I just have so much peace alone.
Speaker 3: What would you say to that? Yeah, I mean there's just you know, listen, I don't knock people for whatever they choose to do with their own lives. If they choose to be solo and they that's sort of what they think fulfills them, that is okay. But for me, as a person who loves humanity, I like to be with people. I love to be in a relationship with a mate that understands me and is simply trying to grow themselves and I'm trying to grow to It's something beautiful, really beautiful about growing with somebody, right, And see, It's like, I mean, look, you know, when you have children, it's a different situation because you're literally trying to raise people. But when you're in a relationship, as you know, a married couple, there's something beautiful when you connect with someone else's soul and you have decided that you want to grow together. It's a choice. And so for me it's just a beautiful choice. And to have someone like Craig stand beside me and work with me on all the things in life that I want to do and the things that he wants to do, right, there for him. It's great. I mean, it's nothing like it. It's just you know, and again it's being chosen and choosing at the same time. And I think that's for me, that's just a wonderful thing. So I don't knock people who don't want to be married. I get it if if that's something they don't want to put the work in for it, because marriage is work, but it's beautiful work. It's a beautiful struggle in my opinion.
Speaker 7: Yeah, correct, echo what Kadizus said that we don't knock people for their choice.
Speaker 4: We just know what works for us.
Speaker 7: And yes, it's been twenty nine years.
Speaker 4: It doesn't seem like twenty nine years, right, It seems like yesterday.
Speaker 7: Right, it seems like and you look up and go, oh my gosh, it's been twenty nine years.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 7: I know people who've been married two years and he feels like it's been one hundred years.
Speaker 4: Yep, yep, right, And I want to I want to use this word carefully.
Speaker 7: You know, people don't they don't submit to marriage, right and the work that it entails to get there.
Speaker 4: And I submit. Oh, I know that could be.
Speaker 8: Cuss words, right, Oh, that's what the man wants like, we don't. We don't use that.
Speaker 7: In in our relationship. Submit, we don't use roles in the house. It's like whoever is available, if the dishes is done, I get home first, I'm doing the dishes.
Speaker 4: If I'm home.
Speaker 7: Right and it's time to cook, it's time to cook. It's not like has a role, I have a roll.
Speaker 12: You got the trash too young, I said, well, baby.
Speaker 7: So yeah, so that that piece around like, it's a lot.
Speaker 4: Yes, it is a lot of work.
Speaker 8: But I can imagine choosing to have to.
Speaker 4: Swap you have to use the term swap out.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of words.
Speaker 3: That's a lot of words.
Speaker 8: That's a lot of no return on investment, right that part.
Speaker 2: I want you to say that again, return on investment, right, Yeah, the whole way.
Speaker 4: I don't believe God is the all norm.
Speaker 7: I firmly believe I would not be who I am and what I do without this one here.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 4: Bottom line.
Speaker 7: I make no bones about that at all. Right, And this is front and center. This has to be front center after God. This is front and center in our life.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this, Craig uh. You talk to a lot of successful black men yes, what do they say is the tension in the dating pool? What do they say is the challenge? And those who desire marriage.
Speaker 7: From the male perspective, I think that again, it depends on their age range.
Speaker 4: I talk to younger men and men from what age you say young to what.
Speaker 7: I would say, I'm talking those thirty ish on up to my age.
Speaker 4: Your age is what I'm be approaching. I'll be sixty in November.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is.
Speaker 4: And so you know, you're talking about folks who are young.
Speaker 7: Men, who are degreed, who have careers, who have built things, who have worked on themselves and through all the aspects of mental health, physical health, all those things, spiritual health. And so they are ready and they sometimes men are getting a bad rap about dang ready. And what I hear from the men I know who are standing on business, they are not willing to sacrifice their peace and well being to deal with crazy. And the crazy comes in a lot of different forms. It's not just the sister and the street. It could also be the sister in the boatroom and they're like, you know what, I will rather exit out and let me be labeled.
Speaker 8: I can't deal with.
Speaker 4: A strong woman.
Speaker 7: No, I don't deal with crazy, And I'm not going to deal with crazy. And I will go ahead and continue to search for my queen or my maid or my my partner some other form. But I'm not going to stay in something because I have worked on myself and I'm not giving this up just because and and and they and they are steadfast abound staying away from crazy at all costs.
Speaker 1: So define what they see crazy.
Speaker 8: As it runs.
Speaker 4: It runs the gamut of it could be narcissism.
Speaker 8: And I think we used this word earlier in terms of I've made it.
Speaker 7: I got a successful career, I got followers, I got all.
Speaker 8: This stuff, and you don't. You ain't living up to my to my.
Speaker 4: Standard, or you know.
Speaker 7: Or people are dealing with untreated trauma and and toxic lifestyles that are getting in aware of them being their best selves, let alone trying to be a partner for someone. So they are still getting aware of their own best selves because they haven't dealt with their own trauma, untreated trauma.
Speaker 2: And so you're finding marriage minded men who aren't getting married currently because they feel like they're just running into a lot of toxic women. But then a lot of men have to carry the burden of if you want to get married, you could just get married. But who they're choosing are women that aren't women that they can see as wives. Basically, yeah, yeah, some.
Speaker 4: What I've heard some of them.
Speaker 7: Some they feel some women are addicted to the lifestyle of being single and being pursued, not because they want to be caught.
Speaker 4: They just like being pursued.
Speaker 2: See. People don't talk about that part that they like the attention, the attention.
Speaker 1: They like the attention of.
Speaker 2: Being that girl, that woman that a lot of dudes look at on social media, look her at on the job and be like Ooh, I want her, and they like and then you'll see it show up when they get married. A lot of times they'll end up get married and they'll still seek that attention. I'm not gonna speak about a specific person, but it was this couple, this NBA star whose wife said that she doesn't feel desirable anymore because a lot of men don't hit on her anymore.
Speaker 1: And this man is.
Speaker 2: A high level basketball player, And I was like, what would that make me feel like if my wife said that she doesn't feel desirable because other men aren't hitting on her, I'll be like a message.
Speaker 1: Like is that what you that's what you want?
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: But she went viral saying that, and I was like and then some women was like why I kind of understand because you do want to know that you're desirable by a lot of men. And I'm like, what, Like, I've never ever thought like as a as a married man, I never sit there and say, Astley, I mean all these stalker women that used to stop me while I was single, I missed them. They used to wish I was getting gifts like I used to. I just I just don't feel desirable anymore. It's like, no, that's called a midlife crisis. So it's like, where does that come into play. You're about to say something.
Speaker 7: About, you know, just thinking about what people can get caught up in the attention they get for from others around getting married.
Speaker 8: Right, you're getting married.
Speaker 7: You know you're gonna right, but how many Well there is the same attention on yourself there for the work of the of the marriage life.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 4: It's not it's not about getting married, right, because you know how much we spend on our way probably.
Speaker 3: Like I was gonna say, fifteen hundred but maybe eighteen hundred dollars. Yeah, we had a budget wedding. Like we said, we had no money really and my husband's I worked at budget and you had a budget. That's right, he said to me. He was like, we're not going into debt over a wedding. We're gonna use what we have. We're gonna get people to help us. And we had a friend who gave us a discount on catering. People are putting the decorations up and the master we literally we used my uncle's time share for our honeymoon Saint Martin. I mean it was like and then we came back and he was like, we're just not gonna go into debt.
Speaker 2: We don't have to.
Speaker 3: Listen. And then we went to all them darned time she had.
Speaker 2: Means yeah, yeah, yeah, everything an hour and a half to sit.
Speaker 3: In fact, I said him one day, I said, listen, we havepping through our honeymoon. Now we're going no more meetings anything else. We had a free boat ride, a free carving to a free I said, a free day. I said, that's enough.
Speaker 2: Can do that.
Speaker 1: We can upgrade the room. We're gonna try to get.
Speaker 3: Say, I mean that we do what you gotta do.
Speaker 1: Said, We're not gonna buy it.
Speaker 3: We're going to the beach. Right after that, my stomach growling. Can we go eat?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they said you come and eat with you with one of my part of the presentation, that man sitting across the table while were eating. I was like, this is crazy, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. Do you know the first book I gave you, Smart Money Moves for African Americans.
Speaker 8: So our first conversation was really about.
Speaker 3: Financing money in the future, building wealth.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He was like, and he said, I need you to read this book. Talk to you about this book. I was like, okay, I'm still trying to get smart with I'm trying to stay right on that track my head. But he did. He was very he was very This is the thing too that I was going to say, and I'm glad you said that, because the truth is that so Craig was very well read. I mean he is still to this day, but he was very well read. And there were books that we could talk about, things that we read that I can connect with him on and just experiences and I would say, oh my gosh. And at one point I said, did you like go to law school some because he'd always try. I thought he was a lawyer and then he's like, not just play one on TV. But he had all these you know, he had the vernacular, he had the intellect, and he also had the curiosity, which I thought was really great, you know what I mean. And that excited me too. So I was like, oh, this is a guy who likes to learn. He's a life learner. I love life learners. I'm just like people who like to learn, who are interested in things and people and understand just how big we are yet small at the same time, you know, and just the interconnectedness of the humanity that we that we exist in. It's just it's fascinating. So for me, I was just super excited that, you know, he brought all those other little things this is That was the actually on the muscapitalist too, by the way.
Speaker 5: And I love what you said because so many women I hear them say like he has to make six figures or whatever that is. But if you when you look at the traits of a person, that's so much stronger because what you're really looking for is not the dollar assign attached to his job, right, because if he loses his job tomorrow, and he's not ambitious, you're going to be homeless. So behind the money, you have to unpack what those traits are about a person, because if he's ambitious, when he loses the job, he's gonna still be ambitious and he's going to get another job. But if you only look at the six figures, then what happens when he loses that, right, because that's the thing that you're valuing, So it's only a self fulfilling prophecy. He gonna lose it and then you're gonna be stuck with somebody where you prioritize the fact that on paper they had this. Now when they don't have it, they don't know how to recover.
Speaker 2: That's right, and they and they can get to a place of want to unlive themselves because that's value is only a tach y'all.
Speaker 1: Remember when Ronan.
Speaker 2: Broke my heart to hear so many people can you know, I can't say the word on social but unlive themselves?
Speaker 1: Jumping off readis and stuff.
Speaker 2: Because the job went bankrupt because they lost their four one k and all that you need somebody whose value is attached to us in their bank account. And I was just like, wow, these people a company had that level of control. Fact that there's so many other companies to go work for. But because they felt like they lost their futures, that's their their four one k's their retirements. They said, I no longer have value on this earth. Well, you see, this is why come on.
Speaker 3: Teach, this is why I wrote this book to let me say this power, imagine power, we imagine my mission to get it, grow it and give it away. Because we live in a time of urgency where people have to be able to stand to their own power, but more importantly, for people to be able to understand that their value is not connected to their titles, to their to where they work, to the companies, that we don't get built up by companies and jobs, that we come as people who get built up by communities and families, and that we in our essence right have innate qualities. Right as we talk about the Declaration of Independence, you know, all these inalible rights that we have. But more importantly, but God has given us these wonderful values and qualities that we have internally that we don't even know we oftentimes have because we don't tap into them. And so the power that we really are we own actually is power that we get from outside of all these other things that we assign value to. Right And so for me, really, I know what it likes to feel powerless. I know what it's likes to feel powerless. I've been there right where people told you you weren't enough, you weren't supposed to be in the circle because you didn't do the right things, you don't know the right people. And so I wanted people to understand that this was a time and place where we all should be thinking about who are we at our essence, what do we bring, what power do we have, and then how do we use that power to help other people? How do we share that power? And that's really what this book is about. So it's a it's a business book that is wrapped around a story that happens to be my life story, but more importantly is a leadership journey about what it looks like to stand up in places that are not built for us, to leave with impact and integrity, and to help people understand how to use that power and that the power that we have at home is connected to the power that we have in the world. It's not separate. You can never entangle it. And so people oftentimes think that when you're at work, you're one person and you're home with somebody else. But I believe that who we are is who we are, and so that's really what this book is early about ultimately, and I want.
Speaker 2: You all to go click the link in the description and go get this book. It's available on Amazon everywhere you purchase your favorite books. Make sure that you go get this book. You're about to say something, Craig.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I want to go back to something asking you you were mentioning around people. You know, people sometimes wanting a spouse with money, or do you want money? Somebody who makes a lot of money and they got a lot of power, right, But what good is that if.
Speaker 4: The person is not generous and kind?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 7: So he can he in this case, he can have a lot of money. But if he's not generous, do.
Speaker 1: You never see it?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 7: He's going to do line the way where it only benefits him. But he has power and he's not kind.
Speaker 4: How is that going to show?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 7: So, like, what are the things that again we talked about, what are the things that we value?
Speaker 4: There are the things that we believe that we actually truly.
Speaker 7: Need and desire in our relationships, and we need to just be really clear about what those things are and what they're not.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 2: Good, that's good.
Speaker 1: How long did it take you to write this book?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 3: A little I would say a little bit less than two years, baby, like a little over over a year and a half.
Speaker 2: In the process of writing, your learning about yourself on a different level of certain lessons that you are now uncovering, you go, wow, I remember I went through that. I didn't think I was gonna make it through that. What were some of those aha moments? As you was right, and Craig mentioned his homeboys reading the book and said, hold on.
Speaker 1: She'd have made you go through that.
Speaker 2: He was like, hey, listen, so what were some of those aha moments for you? You know?
Speaker 3: I think you know, writing is one of those processes where you it's so personal, but at the same time you know it's going to become so public, so you have to get out of your own head. I think at times where you start to self edit before you really get to put the truth down. So putting the truth down is so important first, I think, and then and then coming back later on and saying you know what, Okay, maybe I don't want to say that part right, But for me, the AHA moment really was that I wanted this to be a book that showed highs and lows. I didn't want it just to be like I did all these great things in life. I wanted people to know, like what it meant to be in the valley and on the mountaintop, right, because I think so often we get excited about the end product going back to what as she was saying, right, but we don't want to hear REALI about what it took to get to get that diamond shining right, and how we had to cut that up and stuff like that. And so I felt like for me, I wanted people to recognize that this was really a story about how do we get powerful on an everyday basis, right, not when you like on a stage, like what does it mean to be powerful? Just like cleaning your dishes, walking to school, you know, driving your card work, Like what does that look like? And so I wanted people to have a real sense of the connectivity between what that looked like for me as an individual and what it can mean for other people, and particularly young people. I think who struggle with this notion of how they have to achieve certain things and get to certain places by a certain period of time. And I just thought, personally, I was a kid who was, as you know, at twenty four, who had a checklist on life about what needed to happen by when I needed to also tell people that we have to take breaks, right, because the truth is that, as you see in the book, there are times in the book where well, I don't do so well. Actually I lose it a little bit, right, There's some losses here, and I had to step back and redefine and reimagine what power really was. Because the lesson that I was taught about power was it a corrupt version of what power was. And so I needed to redefine and reimagine what power should be, what it can be, and hopefully what it will be for all of us. And so that's what I'm trying to help people understand about the power that we have and the power that we hold, and the power that we must share with other people.
Speaker 2: Good these That's amazing because even reading this book can help people understand, like you said, from their personal life, how to prioritize things of importance yeah, because even when you say that power the title or use the word power, you know, the first thing people go to is a high level of that. You know, I got to be the CEO of this. It's more of a control on a high level. Some may end up going to the TV show Power, you know what I'm saying, where that's a different corrupt level of power. That's instead of saying, how can I show up with power in my everyday life? It may be even hard just getting out the bed because people may be struggling with depression. But I'm going to take power over this situation and get up.
Speaker 3: And that's and that's in chapter what I'll tell you. I think it's chapter three the Power Tank. But no, but that's real and that too, right, because we have all these things that we are trying to accomplish oftentimes and we're checking off these lists, and we've been told that power looks a certain way, right, and so we have to we have to dismantle this myth of what power really is and we have to reclaim it. And I think that's really what you know. Somebody said to the other day who was the principal of a school, and she said, I'm reading this book and I'm in tears, and I'm like, really, she says, you know what, because you actually you're helping me understand that I shouldn't be running from power, I should be running toward power so I can share with other people. I said, absolutely, we've been. We've been relinquishing our power, giving it up to other people so they can abuse it, and then not recognizing that we're not standing in our own power, with the rights that we have to be in that space, and losing it, and then we're wondering why things are crumbling around us. Right, So, so much for me is about making sure that we reclaim what we know we're supposed to have and do the right thing with it. God has given it to us for a reason. It's alone, it's a beautiful loan, and it's supposed to be used for good things, and that's what I'm hoping to do.
Speaker 2: We asked Craig a minute to go about what he hears from his single uh men that he talks to. What do you hear from the single women?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I'm hearing a lot of things, but I can't say everything. No, right, right, But what I think I mean, Listen, I hear that it's hard out there of the day in game, it's hard out there. It's difficult. Sometimes you know, they're looking for the husband, the brother to try to you know, get you know, uh, the marriage proposal hopefully. But at the same time, you know, I think sometimes people are not ready, right, and you know, we alluded to some of that.
Speaker 2: I think I have you told women that have spoken to you about Yeah, these men ain't stepping up, they're not doing this. And as you've been assessing them, you say, maybe you know, ready for marriage. Some stuff that you're saying right now ready?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I'll tell sis is easily to say, Okay, well listen you let me tell you about how sort of you're gonna need to work on yourself. Because the thing, a large part of what I think we miss is we want other people to be ready made, but we're not really ready to sort of come to the party prepare it either, quite honestly, and so we have to figure out some of those other pieces that are missing within ourselves. But I do I will say this, I have a lot of hope for relationships and people. I think that we just have to do the work on ourselves. I think Craig always says, get a good therapist. I think that's true, right, People need to really be prepared just to kind of do the self work and then more importantly, to be graceful with other people. I think too often we don't get people grace to be able to grow and we recognize that we're all growing and we're never complete. And so for me, I just think that, you know, I tell sisters all the time, like, you're gonna just have to try to reimagine what it is that you think you're really looking for and get down to bare bones, what is it that you really need and want in a mate versus all the stuff that your friends tell you that you should have, Right, I think a lot of it is big ball and and all that stuff. And you know we got to work on that. Yeah, yeah, well, and I have one.
Speaker 5: So we talked a little bit about how you had Kadeza do the application process, but you never shared the results of what you found out when you called her references.
Speaker 4: Okay, I am.
Speaker 7: So glad you brought that because.
Speaker 4: It was what's the word, so what I'm looking for?
Speaker 3: It was a very important moment, defining.
Speaker 7: A very defining moment, right, the world, I think is the cinema, which one the world is like when something's really important that at this moment and it come back to me.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 7: Speaking to one of the references, it was an older sister from our community that had a lot of respect for and who known Kadija make your whole life. And she said to me, she said, you know, Craig, I know you have a lot of respect for you. She said, my concern is it's about Kadija. We the older sister in the community, looked to Kadija as this bright light, right, and we worry that who she marries, would they look to put her in a cage, a cage exactly what someone says, a cage?
Speaker 8: Right, What will you try to confine her?
Speaker 7: Right when you try to, will whoever marry her try to confine her?
Speaker 4: Because you see that a lot with.
Speaker 7: You know these roles, and I'm the man, and you see this right, particularly times in religious communities, right, the man is right and so you and I remember saying to I said, you know, I really appreciate what you said, and I still I like to believe I hold onto this in my heart that I said to her that if I ever felt that I was.
Speaker 4: Getting to a place where I was trying to confine her.
Speaker 6: I would let her go mmmm, because she needs to be who she was, and if being with me would limit what she had to offer to herself into the world, I would have to get out of the way.
Speaker 4: I like to believe. I still believe that. So that's why I think you would.
Speaker 7: I would, That's why I should.
Speaker 2: She knows me.
Speaker 7: Actually, I'm I'm a vaccine guy, right, she said.
Speaker 4: She let me know this was important to her.
Speaker 2: This podcast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I was like, I need you to come. It's behind the I'm a.
Speaker 7: God, that's my spot, right that I could plan out a bunch of stuff.
Speaker 4: I like to see things from a different purview. But she said this was important to him.
Speaker 8: Like, okay, then we're going.
Speaker 2: Thank you Craig.
Speaker 8: Of course he get to see this.
Speaker 7: This is wonderful wife of yours, and you can see you again in person.
Speaker 4: Was great.
Speaker 7: But because this is important to her and her sharing of her message.
Speaker 4: To people across the country and across the world, you know, it is my duty to be here and support her.
Speaker 2: I'm trying out to cry, well, because that's so important. I just think more men need to hear that. Man, I think that I just matter of fact, I ain't gonna say think. I know. More men need to hear that. More couples period need to hear that is to support your spouse. It's like, it's not marriage is never meant to be comfortable, and so many people are looking for a comfortable marriage. It's like, you be what I am, and you be what I like, be exactly who I am, and it's like, well, white thing, God brought that person to you.
Speaker 1: I remember growing up where.
Speaker 2: A Paul ab Duel had this song you take two steps forward and I'll take two steps back. We come together because opposite is a track. And I remember when I was hearing as a young kid, I said, oh, why would I want to be somebody opposite? That even makes sense to me? I said, how does opposites attract? The only thing that I could liken it to at that age was magnets and you take you take the polarity of a magnet. If they're both positive, it's going to push it apart. And I used to always try to force it to move and shift and shift, and I'd be like, all right, so I'm flipping on the negative side. And I try to push it in repel itself, and then when you put the negative in the positive, it comes together. And I said, but still, why would I want to marry somebody that is the opposite of me? And my mind goes to that paullab Duel song that says that if you can understand how to sentuate the positive in each relationship of that person and know that person has something in you in them that you need, and vice versa, then that's when you have what you call the beauty of marriage. You said, this is beautiful, This beautiful thing that happens when y'all two come together as husband and wife. That is the I call it synergetic emergence in my book. It's like the you get the synergy and it emerges into something even greater than the sum of the sum together, is greater than the individual. You said that he talks about how he could have never become who he is to this day without you, this powerful woman. Do you agree? Could you have become something? Could you have still done everything you've done without Craig? Here?
Speaker 3: Not this way?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Why not this way?
Speaker 3: Because I think because I think Craig softened me. Also, I was really like so focus, No, I was, but but but I was very like, very like, it needs to happen this way now that you know, and I think that Craig and my children all would say also. I think just the children that we have together, our girls. I think just that whole experience has softened me in some ways and helped me also prioritize things differently, right and understand like what the parties really were in life. Like the goals and stuff were great, but you know, you can't live life for goals just to check them off. It's really about like how do you share You go home, people have all kinds of goals that they've achieved, they go home and you're alone, right, and so like, you know, to be able to take a step back and just to say, you know what, though, this is an important goal that we did together actually, right, because everything that we do, anything that I've won, anything that he's won, we've done it together. So we can I get excited when he's like, I'm like I had a year of like, like last year we celebrated Craig like twelve times with awards. I was like, yeah, we out there. You know, they're like, but it's not your what I'm like, but it is not got we got this right? And then he's like, please, let's go. We got your book. We got we got our book. He said, this book is a birth birth, this book. I don't know how long now, But the point is is that we really I think we see our wins as our wins, like you know what I mean, And I think that's really important. So I don't think that I would be the person that I am, And I'm not even sure I would have done things that I've done in many ways without Craig. And I'm not so sure because I don't know. Yeah, have you know? I mean, I had goals. I was really driven, but I think at the same time there was this is not just about what you do, is how you do it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the opposition you kind of touched on.
Speaker 7: You know, we do have different personality, but they work well together where you know, she's super type A personality and I come in right, but I can always make her laugh no matter how intense.
Speaker 8: And crazy it is. She was like, why are you going to make me laugh? Right?
Speaker 7: She ended up laughing, But some of her type A personality at times rubbed off on me and then This has shown up with our children because we are different, we are different approaches.
Speaker 4: They need different pieces of us.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, and we know we say you're going to be the best one for this conversation. With time, you know you handle that part right. And so we we spend a lot of time. We do a lot of breaking down like who needs to do what part and let the best person do it in the job and not like I got to be the ones got to be the hard one.
Speaker 4: Let me be this type. What's the best one, best person who needs to show up for this role at the moment.
Speaker 2: I love that because I pushed askle in that a lot. With even my son, my nephew's son. He don't like the son because I adopt him. It's my nephew. But I always say, don't tell them. You should be like, well, I mean, I said you because she's really good at certain things that I'm just not, you know, and she's not even a biological parent. But I'd be like, say it, and I want her to trust the wisdom that God has given her to say say it. If you see a gap. It's not meant for me to go say it, It's meant for you to find your place in his life and say it and he receives it.
Speaker 1: He appreciates it.
Speaker 2: He tells a letter thank you, thank you Auntie Ashley, you know, for telling me this or whatever.
Speaker 1: I needed to hear that.
Speaker 2: But I want her to trust her god giving wisdom to do so. Another thing that's happened, dear future wife. He existed five years prior to us getting married, and I built this amazing following this, this trusted audience that I nicknamed the lit faun, which stands for learning, living intentionally and transparently.
Speaker 1: And so this awesome audience.
Speaker 2: But I will always tell them over and over again, don't get just used to me, because at the end of the day, what I built was great, but it pales in comparison to whoever God brings as my wife. The greatest honor I ever received is when I read comments where people say, no offense, Lataaris, your podcast was good, but now it's great. That's the greatest accomplishment because I don't I don't have an ego where I say, because think about the reverse, your podcast was great before, but it's all right now. Since I'd be like, oh Lord, what in the world, Like I know what she brings to it, and so the beautiful thing about it is it should always be an elevation and so as doing a job phenomenal. I love when people talk about how amazing you are, how much value you add to the conversation. After we just did this live yesterday and for worth this couple when of my friends shout out to to Tisha and they were talking about how we need we need.
Speaker 1: Her feminine energy.
Speaker 2: We want to hear more from her. She has so much to offer, and so that's what I love hearing. And as she's like, I don't want to be one of the overt talk I want to do this, I said, you're never gonna overtalk.
Speaker 1: You're never going to say too much.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. And I said, you have so much wisdom and value to add to the conversation. Just trust the God in you to just be you. You are enough, you are worthy, you are qualified, and you're absolutely amazing. I love you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she is.
Speaker 2: I love it, absolutely amazing. Don't tell everybody real quick as we conclude, how y'all met? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh so, oh my goodness. So Ashley, Well, first of all, my sorrow, baby sorrow actually is one of our extraordinary Executive vi P. I mean, I mean I would just say, like event planning, everything from the Black Entertainment Sports Lawyers Association conferences that I used to chair. I was on the board for out of and chaired the board as well. And the acronym for Beesla exactly Beesla that is right out to be shout out to all those Diesel lawyers and babies and so Ashley is. I mean, she just has handled so we gave her so much to do over the years and we've watched her. She was a baby's looker. It's been like yeah, it's been over a decade easily, but she has been she is from day one. She is a I mean like a no nonsense, like a fiery I mean Sarah. She she is on She is on fire with her stuff. She she was about the business from day one. Handles everything so well, so excellently beyond professional, but just I mean takes things like did you think about this? What do you think about that? What about this thing?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: So talk about type A. She's very on top two, which I love, so her thinking is excellent, but also she's just about the business and she always elevates what we do and what we bring, and we give the biggest talent to Ashley to basically to take care of, to curate ideas with, and she just has been a fantastic partner in that work. So that's how we actually first met. And then you know, we're sore rus. So we have all these things that we do, you know, at the conference and other places, and it's just been great to watch her grow with her business. I can't believe she's like this grown woman now.
Speaker 2: I told him.
Speaker 5: I was like, they probably think of a child exactly right.
Speaker 3: But it's so beautiful to see that. You know that you all have built such a beautiful union and just this amazing enterprise together. I think it's just a beautiful thing. And you know, it's just everything that she deserves you too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was funny because about saying I snuck to Beesla this year, but I just she took me to Visla last year and we were in line getting some food and I shared with you because she has spoke so highly of you, and I said, I said, you know, now people don't know this, but we're getting married.
Speaker 1: And you said, does she know?
Speaker 10: I did?
Speaker 3: I was like, didn't know? I didn't know if he was a stalker. He was just like, I like her. She's so cute. I like miss Ashley. I was like, wait, does she know? Yeah, I want to make sure I'll give the okay.
Speaker 4: First she told me that story. I cracked up. I was like, oh my godfring.
Speaker 3: On my finger, so cute, and she was like I would know. I was like what, And then I realized. I was like, oh my gosh, your future. That's the reason nobody downs. Okay, but it was so beautiful, Oh my gosh, how I mean listen, I mean to be honest, she was the best person for that whole thing, because I was like, because you know, she's she's very like, she's she holds she can hold a secret, holdret So you can.
Speaker 2: Speak on to how a lot of times early on people are like, uh, he kept her secret, you know all that type of stuff. I said, yeah, she preferred that. Yeah, And so you know, I know in your experience people.
Speaker 3: She's about the business. Behind the scenes. She's just like, y'all go ahead. But but that's why, that's that's what happens. So oftentimes, you know, oftentimes God gives those kinds of blessings and these kinds of opportunities to people who can handle it in a certain way, because you know, a lot of times folks can't handle it and you have to be really discerning in that way. So yeah, that this is this makes sense. This all makes sense. I mean it's funny. You know, like, girl, you're not.
Speaker 2: He's like, she knows.
Speaker 3: I was like, okay to you.
Speaker 2: Oh man, we've been talking and they need to do a relationship. They need to do dear future wife yet, Beesla, that will be such a really powerful moment to have these and it could get heated.
Speaker 7: Have some breakouts, seers and.
Speaker 8: Some stuff going over there.
Speaker 3: How much it's great, I think fantastic it's coming.
Speaker 2: That would be hot to have their future wife happen. It would be so so fun. But listen, here's the part of the episode where y'all write a key to love. Pick up that box there, if you will please, and inside there's a key and there's a marker. Y'all can use the box that you can use your book to write on on yours, but grab a marker.
Speaker 4: And shiny y.
Speaker 3: You know what, everything that shiny ain't always better is a key, Okay, so.
Speaker 2: We can touch so y'all write down a word, a sentence, a phrase, whatever you want to leave with the audience will have you read it after you write it, and then you'll go hang it up on that available wrong on that wall there.
Speaker 3: So don't get to sign your name.
Speaker 8: Word or free, but you don't say it out that.
Speaker 2: He's ID eight and and build a word or phrase that you would like to leave as a key to love. What do you think is a key to love that you want to leave so astley? What'd you think you had your people on here?
Speaker 7: I did?
Speaker 3: I mean, I just love the application process.
Speaker 5: I love getting really clear early on about what it is that you know you need because I think it helps you identify who you are.
Speaker 3: And I thought it was so smart that Craig had her do it.
Speaker 1: In return, Craig keep the same as.
Speaker 5: Yes, but not as a like, well it's an ego thing, I have to do it, you have to do it. But because after you know, he said the word yeah, then he was like, wait, I actually this is really helpful. And so I think when we approach, you know, our interaction with each other with such intentionality, it can be really really helpful to set us up for success and clearly. Twenty nine years later it was valuable.
Speaker 2: Yep. Well you'll never have to give an application to nobody because I ain't going.
Speaker 1: Nowhere that you'll never be able to use that. We can we can do evaluations.
Speaker 2: That's what student Love talks about, is we can do reviews with each other and talk about areas of improvement and have that. So we'll have on the job training, on the job training.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe even the report car report card.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do a report card.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I like her report cards. When she was younger, she.
Speaker 1: The same.
Speaker 8: We got, we got the same people.
Speaker 2: She got this whole biography, this is about them, about you, about everything. I was like you, it's beautiful though. So that's one thing that I really enjoyed. She did a biography, was it for your seventh grade project?
Speaker 3: Eighth grade?
Speaker 1: A biography of eighth grade?
Speaker 2: And it's just, I mean, a thick book and had pictures and everything. And in the earlier part of us dating, she pulled that book out and I sat there and I was reading through all that, and it taught me little girl eighth grade Ashley, and I.
Speaker 3: Was just like, did you write this?
Speaker 2: I was intelligence. It's like I was like you couldn't have back then. I was like, there's no way. An eighth grader wrote this, like there's no way, and she was like yeah. And then I got a chance to go visit the school that she went to, and it's like one of the most prestigious schools in southern California.
Speaker 1: And I was like, okay, I went to business school.
Speaker 2: I looked at those those other ethnicities walking around.
Speaker 3: He was like, everybody was there.
Speaker 1: I said, okay, it's it's a different level here different. It's different to what y'all write on y'all to.
Speaker 3: Love, I wrote, reverence and respect is the key to love.
Speaker 1: Why is that important?
Speaker 2: Reverence? We don't hear that word spoken to in a relationship. Why do you say.
Speaker 3: Well, I say reverence because I'm also thinking about reverence with our creator first and foremost. Okay, right where, I think that's where it begins. And I think that when we connect with our creator in a way that he would have us connect with him, he also gives us the tools and the way in which we can understand how it is important to connect with humanity. And so in a relationship, in any relationship, reverence is important. But I think particularly in a marriage actually to be able to reverence one another the souls. We have a survey, we talk about reverencing the souls that bore us, but reverencing each other also in that space. And then also respect, I think is so important because again, you can like somebody, you can love somebody, but if you don't respect them, it's really hard to really connect on the level of trust. And you don't have love without trust.
Speaker 2: Really. Yeah, create, Oh you got to get your microphone, all right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I wrote a few things. The first thing I wrote is, you.
Speaker 4: Know, we have to love love.
Speaker 7: I like that, but I just know I love and I just love black love. So I'm sitting here watching YouTube and thinking about some of our friends and others that we have in our circle and watching the couples go through their growth.
Speaker 4: It's because they love love.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, and they love being in love with each other. And I have here openness. Can I come and be transparent and open with my full self? Can I be honest with you as I be honest with myself and hold on to the fun. It's going to be a lot of you know, long nights, but hold on to that fun. Find the fun, and this as well.
Speaker 2: Long nights greg be long nights.
Speaker 10: Long days, long long nights can't be a bad thing.
Speaker 4: But hold on the fun.
Speaker 7: We get so caught up on these checklists, accomplishments.
Speaker 4: And deadlines that sometimes don't really matter.
Speaker 7: Sometimes just find a moment to have a good laugh yeah there with each other and figure out how we just have a little fun in this crazy world.
Speaker 2: Thank y'all so much for blessing us again. Make sure y'all get this book, Power Reimagine. Get the book Power to I mean Power Reimagine available everywhere. Matter of fact.
Speaker 1: Shout out your social media Craig, I know you don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm Kadida Drinker on Instagram. Could you just reef drink it on Facebook? And actually this is Craig Drinker. I give him my last name. Sometimes drinking, but it's just joking on my teeth and I'm not a massive with him. But this is Craig Drinker and he's actually on Facebook. Believe it or not. He doesn't really post, but he's the actual.
Speaker 2: Ther So go go go follow him and make and get scared. Yow was coming.
Speaker 7: From follow us.
Speaker 3: You know, we love to talk about power and more importantly, how we can share our power with the world.
Speaker 2: Well listen, May the love y'all share today, outlive the season you're in.
Speaker 5: May it carry you through the days when words are few.
Speaker 2: And faith has to do the talking. Y'all.
Speaker 1: Give it up for the drinkers, y'all.
Speaker 3: All, thank thank you so much, thank you for having him. I love y'all, Love you.
Speaker 2: Ladarian thrust it suddenly into child protective Services in twenty fifteen. My nephew, black a boy. The likelihood have been adopted outside of kinship, slim to none, Harmione, sixteen years old, black a boy with five years in the foster care system before I even knew his name. The likelihood have ever been adopted? Yep, you guessed it. Slim to none. While Darian and our money were trying to survive and barely thrive in an overpopulated and underfunded false care system, I was living my own life, doing well professionally, having been a single father with a daughter who at that point was doing well in college. It was my time to live my life right wrong. I felt unsettled, tireless, agitated. There are just too many of our black children stuck in ambiguity and in the limbo of the Falseter Care System. In twenty seventeen, I legally adopted my nephew Ladaria. Fast forward to twenty nineteen. I had no ties to this other young king, but I felt God instructed me to adopt them also in al Babe. Starting over with parenting should have been enough. Right, working with various foster care and adoption agencies to help bring awareness to the countless young Black Kings and the Falster Care system should have decreased My agitation. Right joined the board of directors of Advantage of Adoption in the organization that helps find permanent adoptive homes for children and false should have led to some type of resolve. Right, No, not at all. None of it felt like I had done enough. I now realized that every one of those experiences was land the fundamental foundation for my life's mission. Kingdom Royal. Kingdom Royal would be a luxury, state of the art home for foster boys. Our first location will be in the Dallas Fortwork Metroplex. We will utilize the whole person approach that instills identity, empowers them to advocate for themselves, and enlightens them regarding new perspectives and limitless options that they thought were impossible. Though, the young Kings will attend the local public schools that are in proximity to Kingdom Royal. Our at home curriculum will broaden their worldview through participating in the arts, attending various cultural events, learning about and engaging in multifaceted discussions about current events and even relevant historical contexts. Introducing them to gardening, landscaping, and even caring for our animals on our form and on site stables. We just launched our startup capital campaign with the goal of raising two point eight million dollars. Now why two point eight million dollars?
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 2: In twenty seventeen, I created a web series in which I performed random acts of kindness for targeting the homeless community. One of the most notable successes was that one of the videos went viral, garnering twenty eight million views. However, one of my biggest regrets is that I didn't raise a single dollar to help in implementing a more sustainable plan for the homeless community. So, throughout the years, with much remorse, I reflect and I'm not maximizing that moment. I knew if at that time just ten percent of the viewers donated one dollar, we would have raised at least two point eight million dollars that could have really established long term support for the homeless community, or at least started a long term initiative to do so. This is my due over, this is our new beginning. Together, we can attack this at the root by specifically helping our homeless Black boys who are already disproportionately represented in the American fossil care system. I'm the Terisarwidfield. I've been nominated for three regional Emmys documenting my work with the homeless as well as my personal adoption journey. Despite those accolades, the greatest award for me is truly providing the infrastructure for a transformed life. Visit Kingdomroyal dot com for more details Crown of King and make a donation today. I hope you enjoyed this episode of the Dear Future WIFEI podcast. Remember be lit, live intentionally and transparently, and don't stop loving. Make sure to subscribe to our Dear Future Wife and YouTube channel. We're available on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, and Stitcher. Welcome to your support. Simply share our podcast with your friends and family.