Speaker 1: The Frames Per Second Podcast.
Speaker 2: What's going on in sub boy, Nick?
Speaker 3: You are now tuned into another episode of the frames per Second Podcast.
Speaker 2: I am here with Mike C.
Speaker 3: Town Yo, Kenneth ban Ola, and Spike Lou of the on Deck TV show and another week in of books.
Speaker 2: How you doing, sir, I'm good. Uh. This episode is going to be more of a discussion and conversation.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: We try to have these every now and then, just to get an update on the landscape of all these you know, streaming platforms. Lou has made fun of me and Jalen already saying this is just a conversation basically between us that we haven't with with y'all and them.
Speaker 2: But yeah, just wanted us to hear what y'all think about.
Speaker 3: Netflix overall and if Netflix is still quote unquote Netflix as in like the big the biggest streaming giant, the number one head honcho when it comes to all the streaming shit. Has the quality of Netflix still been in that rarely air or has it dipped? Has other have other platforms taken over that number one spot?
Speaker 2: So just kind of discussion on that.
Speaker 4: M is Netflix still came Basically yeah, of course.
Speaker 5: I think what Netflix does better than any other streaming services. It's in the zygees more so if there's a popular show.
Speaker 6: For example, when it just came up.
Speaker 5: Hunter Wives, it does a popular show that you had not heard of a Seno freeview.
Speaker 6: I'm telling you.
Speaker 3: Hunter Wives, and you said, and you said, that's a popular show because of what because.
Speaker 2: You watch it?
Speaker 6: It was number one on Netflix.
Speaker 5: Everybody was still mean about bike dude that that was going to my point as y'all let me finish, was with stuff like that come across, I would have never watched it if it wasn't for people making ridiculous comments about how wild it was, how messy it was. I was telling you can on my timeline for Twitter, and then I watched it and I was like, okay. So Netflix is good at controlling the conversation for like a week or two, where the other streaming services struggle at It's almost like if you know, you know, I'm watching maybe three four shows on Apple right now, and it's like, have you heard of this? And people are like, I don't even know what that is because it doesn't trend anywhere.
Speaker 6: People don't talk about it.
Speaker 5: So Netflix still is doing a good job of incertain it shows into the conversation, But the quality of the shows I don't think.
Speaker 6: I think there's paramoise better. Apple is better.
Speaker 5: They're a lot better streaming service quality shows than it is Netflix.
Speaker 6: They just got they hand on the pulse.
Speaker 4: I I wish Apple TV would slow down their quality because they just raised the fucking price get because you know, that show's hit and they have a and people gonna show up to watch their shows. I think Netflix is still Netflix. I think they are still the top dog. I think Spike is right in the sense that you know, when it comes to people talking about streaming, Netflix is gonna pop up on people's minds most of all. And I think while some of their original series don't necessarily hit in the way that they did when they started out with House of Cards, they still have Stranger Things, which is still really really popular. Ozark was popular every once in a while. Orange and Black was another hit from them back in the day. I think what they do really really well is they can find and purchase content to put on there that people like to consume for nostalgia purposes.
Speaker 1: I think the recommendation.
Speaker 4: Engine is really good when it comes to them recommending stuff that you may like if you do the thumbs up button and the thumbs down. I think they do a good job of trying to find stuff that may be suitable to what you want to watch. My Netflix Q is crazy and I'm not going to get to them all, but whenever something pops up, you know, on the slider at the top, I'm adding it to my list because I'm curious. So I think they still dominate. I think they still have the most subscribers of all the streaming services.
Speaker 1: So I think they're still top dog.
Speaker 4: I think it's gonna be hard for anyone to knock Netflix off his pedestal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say.
Speaker 3: I think it's hard not to say Netflix is still number one because it's kind of like Kleenex. It's like you don't even think about it as a brand. You just think about it as just the product itself.
Speaker 2: And I've still like to lose point.
Speaker 3: It is still popular enough to catch different moments in on like social media and chattering based off of what it's on. I feel like it's one of the I feel like it's we're like, it's not viewed as two B, but it has to be quality shows and TV and like movies, but they still consider it like, I guess better than that because it's the first thing that everyone thinks about. As far as Netflix being that popular brand. However, I do think it's slipping. I do think it's slipping. I think apps like HBO Max or whatever it's called themself. I think they're starting to turn out shows that are like, Okay, this rivals Netflix even with the variety of stuff.
Speaker 2: And I think Apple.
Speaker 3: TV Plus because they raising their price, can they got to come out with most shit otherwise I'm canceling my shit. So and so far they got they got a nice run because you know The Morning Show coming back. People talking about that, even though that show is had a crazy ended for a third season and they obviously got the studio. Then you got Ted Lasso may come back, Shrinking is big.
Speaker 1: Invasion is a show. I'm watching this, the South Fast Show.
Speaker 3: It just came back, Invasion Foundation, and then the War Smoke Like, it's a lot of stuff that you're starting to, you know, run off a list. I think Apple is gonna come back, Yeah, Apple TV Plus is definitely, and then they got the Well, I don't know if this is a big thing, but like movies, going straight to their platform like f one and then Spike Lee joint like they're starting to kind of get like, all right, we're attraction.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But like Spike said, I think when it comes to your.
Speaker 4: Everyday person, it's hard to talk to them about like Apple TV content because they're not in the know. It's almost like they're so somewhat bougie to a certain degree about some of the shows that they have and how many people have I mean, there's a lot of people that have iPhones, but are you going to go to.
Speaker 1: An Apple TV to upgrade just to watch the show?
Speaker 4: Like it really has to Like Break three, like Severance is a really popular show.
Speaker 1: You know, and it's done well for them.
Speaker 4: But in terms of like super brand recognition, it's Netflix.
Speaker 1: I think Max is a close. I don't know about Mats Nick.
Speaker 2: Max, those are the only two that I can see.
Speaker 3: Mike, I don't know what your thoughts are, but like I think Netflix is it's still King, but like it's a it's like the King off of the House of the Dragon's Agent.
Speaker 2: I'm with you. I don't like these days.
Speaker 3: I don't even know how often I turn to Netflix if I'm just like man, I really want something to watch, I'll usually go to Max first, I'll get to Netflix, but sometimes I even pop on Hulu first because especially for the price, I don't think Netflix is holding up their end of the bargain because more often than not, the shows I end up watching are trash.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: They're getting a lot of foreign shows, which I think is great, Like they'll get a lot of Korean shows and Spanish speaking shows, but then when I watch them, I'm just like, this is fucking awful.
Speaker 1: This is awful.
Speaker 3: But they still they do really good with documentaries. They do a great job with especially docuseries. But I think that Netflix is only still at the top because our name recognition, because people, just like Nick said, it's hard to separate Netflix from streaming giant, you know, even though other uh other streaming services have better shows at this point, let's be real, Like Max has better shows, Apple TV has better shows, but Netflix is just they've.
Speaker 6: Been around longer.
Speaker 3: They're like the j Z of streaming services, like the they can put out as many fucking whack versus as they want, but because at some point we held them to this standard, there's nothing they can do to break it.
Speaker 1: I don't know it fits.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm not wrong.
Speaker 4: That's fit. Now they are now they're putting out a matt Na Carter from a reasonable doubt. What is a holy Grail, Spike is after the.
Speaker 6: Album when Kingdom Come.
Speaker 3: And every once in a while they'll give you a four four four, but then most of the time it's more Magna Carta's And then the shows that are good. I feel like they didn't actually like do much with him. They just pulled him from somewhere else. So it's almost like that album where he was like doing it with jaylight Trona people from comedy, you know what I'm saying, Like we was just biting my Commi's like.
Speaker 4: It's Netflix, Yeah, I think it's just so for me, it's probably the first well after YouTube.
Speaker 1: It's between YouTube and then Netflix.
Speaker 4: And I think part of it is because I do watch a lot of those foreign shows. Now the quality may not be superb, but I'm watching it, like Mark, they be sending me all kinds of Korean shit. I watch it bro a lot of foreign films. I end up watching a lot of those stuff. So for me as a consumer of that stuff, because my agro just hits that way, That's why I tend to go through it, go to that one first, just to see what's there.
Speaker 1: Quality.
Speaker 4: I think in terms of quality, Apple TV is is top notch.
Speaker 1: I do go to Max.
Speaker 4: I think if it's a Saturday night, I said, I don't need to find a movie to watch, I go to Netflix first, and then I go to Max to see what's on there.
Speaker 1: The rest of the ones are kind of.
Speaker 4: Like specialty services that that may have something, or I play for an annual subscription that's cheaper like Paramount plus peak out or whatever. But I know we don't have a total streaming platform conversation. But right now I don't see a lot of people talking about those in the way that they talk about Netflix.
Speaker 3: But you don't see it, You don't see a challenger because to me, like I see, I think app like the one thing I think when of y'all mentioned it, like Apple has the unique kind of advance, like they're demn nearing like ninety percent of people's households already without them knowing it because they have iPhones.
Speaker 2: So all you really have to.
Speaker 3: Do is do one of their little bundle deals with like Apple Music, you get Apple Music, Apple TV fans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that little Yeah.
Speaker 3: So like, it only takes somebody doing that to being like, all right, let me just see what else they got, you know what I'm saying, while I'm paying for this, and then they fall into a rapper hole and they be like, and I think that's what I'm saying right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 2: I think Netflix is still keing, But.
Speaker 3: Maybe in the next five to ten years we're gonna be saying something different because yep, things are changing.
Speaker 2: Likes, no one's gonna stay that high for that long.
Speaker 3: They had a huge lead over everyone because they were the first one to really kind of get established and really be innovative in that way. But now that everybody's kind of got the formula, somebody took it up a recipe.
Speaker 6: I don't think everybody has a formula. I think that's the point of it.
Speaker 5: With Apple TV, for instance, the only mainstream show that they have is Severing. Shit, they took it the whole first season. You're right, that's true, but that's off the air. Like what I'm saying is they put out a lot of quality content, but it doesn't seem like a lot of it latches on Netflix because to Mike's example, they are jay Z. They throw stuff out all the time. Like I mentioned, y'all Hunter Wives. I wouldn't watch that on any other streaming service. It just so happened that it was trending number one on Netflix. People will talk about you watching it in general, don't knock it till you try watch when y'all watch, you know.
Speaker 3: Try to rationalize goofball ship and say, that's the reason why they still.
Speaker 5: Keep That is the reason why, because they have these flash in the paying moments like the movie that it's not even good when Sandra Bullock was blind and everybody was talking about it. Like, they have these moments that other streaming services just very.
Speaker 6: Rarely do they have. But they have this ship with Jake Paul.
Speaker 5: They've been doing live football games like they No one else is even close to what they're doing as a streamer service.
Speaker 3: But I'm only bringing up and I'm only giving you that, uh, I'm agreeing with you with that point is because of the time frame though, they were the first to do any of this shit, so of course they're going to be ahead of everybody. I'm just saying as time is going on, that window was gonna close. Because of course, now that we know that people can do exclusive deals for streaming platforms. They're not gonna Netflix ain't the only motherfucker in the room. When other people want to do these creative things. Not everybody's just gonna say I can get this on Netflix. They say, no, I can get this on here and there. In the third, Mike, you mentioned a good a good show that I'm about to start watching on TV, which is the yeah, damaskts Like, it's like we're there's once you started having multiple conversations with other platforms, a lot of shit is just gonna whoever's gonna be the highest bidder, who's gonna give me the most creative control?
Speaker 1: Yep. I think at some point someone could challenge them for that.
Speaker 4: But Netflix has three hundred and one million subscribers to Apple Plus, Paramount Matts Prime, Like that's gonna like, I don't know what they're gonna put on their platforms in order to catch up with them, especially Apple TV Plus, because they don't have they only do original content. That's the advantage that other entities have is that they can go get old ip and put it on that put on their platforms, and Netflix has that in abundance.
Speaker 3: But and I don't know, Mike, I want to get your thoughts on this point and that I'm thinking about as Ken was saying that are we judging these platforms based off subscribers or just the quality of content? Because to those I'm sorry, I was gonna say that could be two different conversations to me, I agree.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 3: I think that I understand where Kn's coming from as far as them having a lot of uh subscribers, but I think a lot of them are people like me who just don't cancel shit. I've had Netflix pretty much since it started, and I just don't cancel.
Speaker 2: I don't. I barely ever use it.
Speaker 3: I need to fucking cancel it because it's like, damn near twenty dollars a month and I'm barely using any of it, you know what I'm saying. So I think that them having a large subscriber base just plays into the fact that they've been around for so long.
Speaker 2: As far as.
Speaker 3: Quality of shows, Like I said, it's very rare that I watch anything other than a documentary on Netflix, and walk Away being like that was really good. That all of that said, I did just watch Night Always Comes, which is I'm pretty sure I really liked it. I thought it was excellce.
Speaker 4: I started it and I haven't. I was like, writing the first five to ten minutes.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's straw for white people.
Speaker 4: Man, Yo, I'm glad you brought that up back, because that was the thought, Mike, I promise you.
Speaker 1: I was talking to my wife. I was like, we rarely see.
Speaker 4: Poor white people are tour on TV, and and it was that movie that that created that thought. I was and I started really thinking about said, how often do we see struggling white phones on television.
Speaker 3: It's it's not just the struggle, and I'm not gonna get any spoilers away, it's just the fact that she is having the most ridiculously bad day. Like this felt like if there is a white Tyler Perry, they wrote this movie. But this but unlike Straw, this is actually really good.
Speaker 2: Like it's a good story, it's tense.
Speaker 3: It's not like you're watching being like ha ha, that's so stupid.
Speaker 2: It's really good.
Speaker 3: So but yeah, So Netflix every once in a while will pop out with something really good.
Speaker 2: But for the most part.
Speaker 3: I'm not clicking anything on Netflix. I saw Hunter Wives pop up, but I'm sorry I don't. I'm not that bored for me, that is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it ain't for you. It definitely is not for you. You're not the target. All you know like it and Nick gon like it too.
Speaker 3: I'm laughing because one of the baby mamas I'm talking to, she she talked about it because she went she was like, I thought I was watching like the Wives of Hunters.
Speaker 1: Like I don't want to click.
Speaker 4: I don't want to press play on any episode.
Speaker 2: What's your start?
Speaker 6: Sit there and watch all of them. I'm telling you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Can She told me what it was about, and I was like, I'm not gonna just like what you're about to go on ken if I click play one time.
Speaker 2: I'm watching the whole thing, and I don't feel like wasting my time right now.
Speaker 4: Right now, I think Netflix has bridges to too make iin't never watched.
Speaker 1: It's really poplic I don't.
Speaker 2: I get that mixed up with Down Down Downtown Abbey.
Speaker 5: That's crazy because HBO got a version of that too. That no one talks about the yielded age.
Speaker 6: It's just like, uh, I would assume it's just like what you bridges.
Speaker 3: Mike I had, I had a few white women had to correct me on that that show it's called Downton Abbey because I said down, yeah, because I was like, I told him, was like, why people keep talking about this downtown.
Speaker 2: I was like, it was like, it's down What is that white downtown? Wait a minute, it's like.
Speaker 1: The ship.
Speaker 6: I think it's pronounce it's hold on but everything everything I know say downtown.
Speaker 1: Oh ship, He's right, there is no coming.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I've been calling this ship downtown Abbey for like ten years.
Speaker 2: He's like I was doing the same thing. That's how you know I didn't give a funk about the series.
Speaker 5: Bro, what and you probably thought they was crazy when they first told Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Was like, I was like I was, I thought they was doing some racist ship, like trying to correct me on my my pronunciation and all that.
Speaker 2: Ship like diga, it's downtown.
Speaker 4: Downtown, bro, I thought it was downtown. I always saw W two.
Speaker 2: That's crazy. So because because I don't know what the fuck of Doubnton? Yeah, where is Mountain?
Speaker 6: I don't even know what that is? Position is a mental illness, right it is?
Speaker 4: I'm sorry that probably went uh got down sent.
Speaker 2: For those listening. I am not laughing.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. I apologize.
Speaker 4: Uh Jesus, you don't have one. The one thing that I think I could probably contend with Netflix, it's to be. As crazy as that may sound, I feel you on that man to be in terms of like name recognition, people just random people just talking about.
Speaker 1: It is right there. Yep.
Speaker 4: And they have old like they have a very similar formula to Netflix. They just don't have a lot of like, uh, well the Mask is one that we're talking about that's on there, but original content.
Speaker 1: But they got all the old ship on there.
Speaker 4: If you're looking for a movie to watch that you can't find anywhere, it's probably on two B.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people talk about it. It's it could it could compete.
Speaker 5: Facts and it's name recognition is there. It's something for everybody, Like it's the only place I've seen. Well Amazon got it too. But the old sitcoms like the Jeffersons, the Good Times, like well the Good Times on Supermarket Sweep all of that. Yeah, it's super Market Sweek, all those old shows. So yeah, I do with it.
Speaker 2: They got black people.
Speaker 3: That's the thing with two B is they came out the gate kind of catering to black folks that like, I don't like this word, but like ratchet shit, you know, because isn't to be the one that had the lady fuck and the dog and shit. Yeah, So I mean they came out the gate appealing to the lowest common denominator of black person, and because of that, black folks will defend to be like no other. So if two B continues and gets like cause like Netflix wouldn't get a show like that because they're too fucking high.
Speaker 2: Brow, they're too bougie. But two P will get that kind of movie.
Speaker 3: But then they'll also get, like y'all said, the old shows that have this nostalgic feel and shit, who knows, maybe two B has like high quote unquote high quality movies. I don't know, but I can see two B definitely getting bigger. It's just that two be's free right now. Also, I don't know how money that well, that was the point that I was gonna say, that's the benefit of it because it is free ninety nine. That's the reason why I like, you can anybody. You don't have to pay nothing. You ain't gotta put the I don't know, you may have to put an email address, but even then they charge you shit. Like it's like you could just show up and, like you said, can't watch anything you want. Yeah, there's gonna be some ads, but shit is free. Nigga begas can't be choosers.
Speaker 6: Right, true man.
Speaker 4: So, but yeah, that's that's pretty much all I got in terms about Netflix.
Speaker 2: All Right, any other thoughts? Nah?
Speaker 3: No, Like I said, Netflix documentaries solid. A few other streaming services do documentaries to me as good as Netflix. Sports documentaries too, because, uh, Mike, I don't know if you may not, it may be out your wheelhouse, but that Dallas Cowboys sports documentary I'm watching, it's like it reminds me like the Last Dance with the MJ documentaries, Like yeah, you're right, Mike, Like they have a pocket of documentary. I think them and maybe HBO Max the only one too that are priority go for documentaries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Max has good ones.
Speaker 3: But it's always like if I see something pop up that looks like it's gonna be like the.
Speaker 2: Poop Cruise, just random weird shit.
Speaker 3: I can't think of any times where I've watched the Netflix documentary and being like, eh, that was kind of whack. Usually like that was solid, even if it's a topic I don't give a fuck about. All right, Well, those are our thoughts on where we feel Netflix is at right now.
Speaker 2: Please let us know what you guys think.
Speaker 3: FPS podcast is the reddit thread that's also I handle Frigie and Twitter, and we'll catch you on the next conversation.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Peace, Peace pea