Speaker 1: The Frames per Second Podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome everyone to a new episode of The Frames per Second Podcast. My name is Convenience, joining me on the show. I got Rod and Spike here Man here. We just uh we actually just did a review. I think this will definitely be coming out later than that. I believe I have to check the schedule.
Speaker 1: Of the movie Him, so you guys check that out.
Speaker 2: That movie is basically about football culture, sports culture.
Speaker 1: Uh turned told uh in almost like a horror package, very abstractly.
Speaker 2: But one thing about the movie, Rod, is that it was really talking about ghats. H We're talking about one of the ghosts in this movie. Yes, talk about one of the Ghats. We gotta talk about Washington Man. And you know they'd be trying to talk down on the brother Denzel and this, that and the other, like this man ain't one of the best to ever do it. We ain't gonna stand for a Spike.
Speaker 3: No, we can't.
Speaker 1: We ain't let talk about it. But that's the reason why Mike isn't here now. Mike is out this week. I hope you haven't having a good time, brother, but definitely.
Speaker 2: In The Blue Dress Man, released in nineteen ninety five, it was written and directed by Carl Franklin, based on Walter Mosley's nineteen ninety novel. It features Denzel Washington who stars as Easy Rawlins, Don Chetoh as Mouse, Jennifer Bills as Daphne, and Tom Sizemore as Alright.
Speaker 1: It received positive.
Speaker 2: Reviews at the time for is noir styles, social commentary, and performances. And then it's set in nineteen forty eight Los Angeles, exploring race, politics, and corruption through.
Speaker 1: The new orlens. So we'll get into an over overall discussion of kind.
Speaker 2: Of the movie. Uh, and uh, lets see what we think about it. So we're never gonna start at the beginning, but first let's uh get our initial thoughts. Well, I don't know if initial thoughts would be the way to go, but I guess my question would be, did you guys watch this way back.
Speaker 1: In the day?
Speaker 3: I did watch you way back in the day, and I don't know why until I watched it again before I review this. I don't know why I used to think this was a Spike Lee movie.
Speaker 2: I mean, because the same things Spike how did wasn't it? Halfway through the movie I was I was like, wait, this ain't Spike I've seen it.
Speaker 3: When it came on, it was like directed but I was like, wait.
Speaker 2: I didn't even see directed by because I was setting up and I was walking around getting snacks and ship watch, so I missed all of the bro in the beginning.
Speaker 3: All my life, I thought this was a Spike Lee movie. And I was like, damn.
Speaker 1: But the Denzel movie Spike is in. Is it Moba Blues?
Speaker 4: Yes, that's the That's why you think that because it's not around the same time, but it's nineties. Yeah, more better blues came out before this in the not in like in ninety, like nineteen ninety or whatever. So I've always when I when I hear one or the other, I always have them both in my head.
Speaker 5: I never can remember which one is which.
Speaker 3: That's crazy. That's why I never knew this wasn't spikely movie. But to that point, I love this. I thought this was great. I remember liking it back in the day, but even watching it this time around, it was even better to me, Like I feel like this is this hell did a great job, Like the storytelling and acting was good. It was like a like noar, I think that's a genre that they call it. I feel like, yeah, I feel like you should do more with black leads and that I even feel like this could be remade, like they could do the same thing, but it didn't have to. Like this was made in the nineties, but it was set in what nineteen forty eight? You said they could make this now have it like set in the eighties and nineties, And I think it would be good as well, as long as you had a good actor. It's like developing the story more around the time period and like how people interact from in the difference in the eighties and nineties than they do today, and tell that story in the same type of way, same in And I think you could do the same thing. I think that's how good this holds up. But I was very entertained, phone not in hand, just watching it, Like the first time I seen it. I loved this movie. Yeah, I saw it back. I saw it back in the day.
Speaker 4: I don't remember why I saw it either, probably just because it was Denzel and I'm sure my mom or whoever had rented it and I watched it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I want to say I was in going to high school, maybe in college.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I was in high school. If you was in college, I was in high school. I think I rented this from Blockbuster.
Speaker 3: Yeah I didn't. We had it and then and yeah I saw it.
Speaker 4: The one thing I remember, the thing that stood out the most of me was when she was like, you hit my spot, you hit my spot. So that's the one thing I remember about this movie at the age that I watched it.
Speaker 3: For a while.
Speaker 4: See, Like, I was like, that's the one thing that stood out. I was like, is that is this that movie? I couldn't remember if it was this one A more bit of Blues. I couldn't remember which one it was in, but I knew it was in one of them. I was like, yep, this the one. This the one I was waiting for that.
Speaker 1: I was so concerned, wake up. That ship is crazy. That's it.
Speaker 4: And as a young young man, you know, you know what I'm saying, Like that shit was was crazy.
Speaker 3: She was wild.
Speaker 4: So yeah, but nah, yeah, I thought it was always a solid film.
Speaker 3: It's not.
Speaker 4: It's not something I was into it that at that age or whatever, and watching it now I have much more, much more of an appreciation for it. Definitely, So I think it's a solid film. I'm not like crazy about oh, you gotta see Devil in the Blue Dress, because I don't even think I picked that one when they when Jayleen was saying, yo, what's your top three or whatever, I didn't pick this one in particular. So, but no, it's it's it holds up. I think it definitely holds up, Spider, it definitely holds up. It can even be like I said, recreated, I think it's solid story.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And going back to Correca, she was even teasing him to like, you know, that's good enough.
Speaker 1: We're gonna we're gonna stop. He was like, what the hell?
Speaker 2: Knowing it was like just a little bit, just a little bit right right, right right now, we should be doing this is bad, right.
Speaker 3: I don't even know that girl. I'm just I'm just looking for for somebody else.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I can't tell you how or why I even watched this movie back then.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I can't even.
Speaker 3: This was Denzel Washington. That's it. That's all it needed to be. We was watching the Denzel watching the movie. Come on. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we talked about what we had these conversations before about names, what draw, what's the what's the draw?
Speaker 3: Denzel Washington is a draw period.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you. I don't think this was a go to Denzel movie for me.
Speaker 1: I can't. I have not watched this movie a lot, Like it felt like I was watching it like like I was like.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, I remember that's all. Yeah, I remember this. But it was just like, wait, what's gonna Like it was almost like it was.
Speaker 1: The first time.
Speaker 2: Like we were talking about thirty years. There's no way I'm saying I want to watch Devil in Them never ever.
Speaker 3: Like, but you almost forget, like you said, you watch it. It's like because it's probably because of the age that we were, but now you appreciate it more. I just feel like it's aged a lot better than it was when we watched it, which is while over thirty years, I've probably seen this once, like, but now I would go back and watch it i'fter seeing it with new eyes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, we were, which you know, I like that we do the anniversaries. One we were just having a conversation on is the misialone podcast on the Patreon part about.
Speaker 1: Mint Life, you know, And I think when you realize.
Speaker 2: When some of these movies come up, you remember them, some of them more vividly than others, and you were like, dang, it's been doing it thirty Oh my, that's why it man. And then so it's good to go back because you know I've said this on other episodes of Frames per Second, is that you know, I'm a one movie watcher for the most part, I don't need to watch movies over and over again. You know, there are rare movies that that I rewatched. But but the beauty of doing this show is that it gives me a reason to go back and rewatch. Otherwise I'm watching something new. But but in this one, though, you know, we we're not going to talk about it in three parts.
Speaker 1: So we get introduced to uh.
Speaker 2: He's a Rawlins who was a World War Two vette who was in the machinery.
Speaker 1: You know, he's laid off, he's struggled with warriage.
Speaker 2: He had a conversation with his boss and he was pointing out the racial parts of it. As that was coming. He was like, oh, yeah, so the white man could do a double shift, but you know, but you know, and call off it the fine blah blah blah blah blah. And then a guy called him fella head like that, and I guess something happened, because he was like, oh yeah, he would have got your job back. You would apologize and Denzel and put up with a lot of the racist stuff that people were doing in the movie. To him, I did respect that he got his boy Choppy, who introduced him to Albright, and Albright hired him to find Daphne, and Easy goes around searching in you know, different clubs. He meet Correta, We talked about we linked Staphanie to Frank Green and Albright you know, it's paying him a hundred dollars and then gave him a hundred more dollars. And then there's a police arrest and then Easy frame from her, and we see in a newspaper that the mayor drops out of a race, and all this stuff happens, you know in the movie. One thing I did do though, because I was curious. I went back and when he gave him a hundred dollars, I was like.
Speaker 1: What is that today?
Speaker 2: Thirteen one hundred dollars thirteen forty forty five cents, So one three hundred forty dollars and forty five cents is what one hundred dollars would get you today?
Speaker 5: And how much was mortgage in nineteen forty.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the mortgage is.
Speaker 2: But you know what what made me look it up, Rod, was when you said he was talking about something was fifteen cents.
Speaker 3: A low of bride bro break fifteen cents. Bro said, my god.
Speaker 1: I was like, well, you complained about fifty cents.
Speaker 5: I was like, you, how much was the mortgage?
Speaker 2: It?
Speaker 3: Bro?
Speaker 1: Fifteen cents, Bro, that's insane.
Speaker 2: So anyway, so I did all the numbers, actually, because there were a couple of One I didn't do was the thirty thousand. I don't think I'd looked up thirty thousand, because that at the end of the movie she looked up thirty thousand.
Speaker 1: What was the mortgage?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 4: The average cost of a home was only seven thousand dollars and seven hundred dollars bro in nineteen forty. Imagine you're sitting on that you don't pay for it, man, Yeah, that is crazy.
Speaker 1: On thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: So that means like a monthly payment was about forty dollars.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and so that gave him enough money to pay his movies. So I want to get to a social part of the beginning of.
Speaker 1: This movie how it kind of set up a lot of different things.
Speaker 2: So, of course one thousand dollars because he talked to old Boy about one thousand dollars, and that was thirteen thousand dollars, and then seven thousand dollars another number that she paid for the pictures. That is ninety three thousand dollars. That's the equivalent of ninety three thousand dollars today. So those are the numbers from she was day some thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, he was good. He was too good. Yeah, people love mousing this he was too good to update on. This is approximate mortgage payments with twenty nine dollars a month. You had a down payment of five hundred and fifty dollars my house.
Speaker 2: So one of the things I thought was that's really interesting is throughout the movie, Easy is wearing the jacket of the place he used to work at. Yeah, Champion, right, Easy event, Easy good at this job. Easy just wanted to work and pay his mortgage because he had the house.
Speaker 1: He was really proud of the house.
Speaker 5: Love come on to his house, something like owning something.
Speaker 2: In nineteen forty eight, Given the history of everything that was going on, that was a lot because you're denied a lot of things. Yeah, the way the jacket, what happened to him? What that sentinels, of course, is how people and black people want to do good, but they're forced to do bad because of circus. Right, here's a guy, a good man, all intensive purposes. Now, he had a shady cousin, got some mass, you know.
Speaker 3: All right, but you know he identified that, he said it, so he left him alone.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, you know, but exactly he left him alone. Yeah, but I thought that that was interesting. He and the jacket is a reminder that he's only running around, yeah, because he lost his job and he had to pay his mortgage because hent want to lose his house, and so he get caught up in this well of deceit.
Speaker 3: That's why I think that this story is so good and can be like retold now, like you can have the same version of this guy in the nineties, like the eighties, like it would be a great story too.
Speaker 4: I feel like stories are being told like that. Yeah, you're right, you can say that about Walter White. Yeah, you know what I'm saying, Like like like so, yeah, I feel like this story is actually being told today.
Speaker 5: If you think about different stories, which.
Speaker 1: Is why I said people and then I mentioned black people.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, just people because it's the it just impacts us more because as in this story and then we're the first to go. And that's why he wanted to point out, was like whether this guy right here could do this? And then the other part, of course, the social commentary is that he's the fall guy mm if everything goes wrong, so he's gonna be blamed for everything, which is why Albright went to go get black people to do the stuff, because they're always the villains.
Speaker 3: Right, It's all gonna fall back on him anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, yep.
Speaker 2: So what did you guys think, Like, did you guys think the movie did a good job of captroine like post war LA with the clubs, the music, the racism and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like they did a perfect job of putting us in the world. World building being one of my favorite things, like just them not even having to explain why Easy was the man that Alright would select to do it. And then like they didn't explain it, You're like, well, why the hell he just off He ain't no private detective of police officer. He ain't got the like how would he be able to find it? But you instantly figured that out once you seen him outside. Everybody knew him, so if he was able to uh ask questions like when he made it to the club, like it wouldn't letting the white man in, but he was able to get right upstairs. He knew the security guard when he got there. People knew who he was. But it was good in the sense of how they show community to be. Like I've seen plays before about the little juke joints that they would have in people houses and they would be upstairs. It would be hitting from the police because they couldn't go to regular clubs and have fun as black people, so they would do it at the house, just like this one was. I just felt like they did a really good job of putting us in the world telling that story. Post wore him being a good guy in a bad situation, being proud of owning something, like all of it was well done. It may have been just because I seen him too and see the good movie versus a bad movie.
Speaker 1: What was the significance of the guy constantly choppa down trees.
Speaker 3: I think it's like Friday with Eazel. Okay, you know what I'm saying That that was like, that's the person that's always around. They always see the shit that happened in the neighborhood. They just had to give him something to do, drugs when the thing back then, I feel like, so him being a tree man, I guess he selled the wood or something like that. Yeah, he cut the tree down, sell the wood. Maybe that was a thing back in the day, but the significance of that, I feel like in modern day terms is like on Friday when you have Eazel just around seeing everything and having information because he was able to warn him that the dude was at his door and stuff like that. He tried to tell him when the people had broken his house. So yeah, that's what I took from that.
Speaker 1: Rob.
Speaker 2: I do you think what do you think about Denzel as easy? Like did he really kind of capture this old sort of reluctant detective sort of thing that he was doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he did a good job here.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I know people saying he has one beat and things like that, but I don't know, I felt like it was a little different here. It wasn't like the the Denzel that we know today. In my opinion, I don't know, it's just it's just something was slightly different.
Speaker 2: There was there was a bit of blackness to it that it's almost like, yeah, it was a bit of blackness to him, but not like over the top over the time. Yeah, because you kind of compare this to like training day, where it was a little bit more of a darker Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, one Like no, it was it was just like like like we're saying, he was just a regular black man that wanted to do right, but then he got pulled.
Speaker 3: Into some some some some.
Speaker 4: Ship or whatever due to the circumstances, and that's what it felt like. He didn't he didn't at this point, right, he didn't feel like Denzel didn't feel bigger than the role. To me, it felt like if we didn't know him as Denzel, he would have just been like a black man that he was playing as this in this role. And so that's what that's what it felt like to you. So I thought he did good. I thought he did it really well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess I didn't know that was his best friend in the club when we got introduced to Kreta that was sitting it down because he he just wasn't all with Correca Deacon.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, was.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, yeah, that lady is very She has a great sex appeal. I think she plays that very played that like vixen like role very well. I think she did it. It was life when it was life, when she took she took money.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he said.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she looked real godly to me.
Speaker 1: Huh oh, he's sleep and he was sleeping right, not.
Speaker 2: Out because they were making a lot of was rocky right yeah yeah, but uh yeah, but but you know, I do want to issue a correction, a little bit of a correction, a little modified, just a little bit or just uh pointed out that we.
Speaker 3: Were calling this Zella good guy.
Speaker 1: But he did just by Yeah, he did right in the house and then when he met up with him the next room.
Speaker 3: Look, he tried, but he tried to tell you. You know, he kept telling her though, right she shed He got me too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was the couch yea. But we see her and also she's in love Jones. She's a Neil's friend and she's sexy in that like like and Jason's lyrics.
Speaker 3: You remember her.
Speaker 5: She was she's the one that uh the one that he actually smashed the.
Speaker 3: Brother. Uh not the other brother, not the other.
Speaker 1: Ship.
Speaker 5: Trench was the trench in that movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was. She was trenched. He was trenched. She's a girlfriend.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, so she always played like that, like sexy seductor role.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: So so, you know, I think Joppy, Joppy was complained about the marble that comes with that later but uh, you know, but Joppy was the one that kind of I feel like Choppy be setting people up.
Speaker 1: But it was later revealed that he.
Speaker 3: Was just trying to look out for He had no money, yeah.
Speaker 2: And he didn't really mean for any of this stuff to happen. He was just trying to put money in his part, right. But Joppy in nineteen forty eight got to know, man, you can't ever trust the white man, you know, so for him to you know, it's like you're dancing with the devil bro.
Speaker 1: But yeah, which messed everything up.
Speaker 3: So it was interesting how he got Joppy to talk when he came in out th hammel.
Speaker 1: I know he's been banging on the marble. Yeah it's marble. It's about daddy.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, he kept messing the ham up because you know, I was like, what are you about to do with that? Hamil, right, But he really viewed Joppy as a friend, like you know, and he was kind of hurt that that happened to him, that Joppy was the one to do. But Joppy had good intentions, like trying to help out, you know, because he was about to lose everything. He couldn't find a job. He was looking to want to ask and stuff like that. So so you know, it is what it was. But but yeah, so Corretta got murdered, and Correta knew who Daphne was and how to find her. But it was later revealed that Corretta was it stored in Daphne for money, but she got murdered and it.
Speaker 1: Was revealed that Joppy did it.
Speaker 2: Right, Joppy was when they ended up doing it, But they framed Easy for it, and they.
Speaker 1: Came in that they booked his ass. Bro they hit him on the back of it like that. Bruh. Yeah, he was in a bad spot.
Speaker 2: But I think that they did a good job of kind of introducing like the relationships and the themes of like race and like power structure and if you sort of watched this movie you can kind of see some of those insisting forces present today, which kind of scary. But anyway, so Daphne an Easy finally link up, and then things started to kind of change. So Daphney called Easy, and then you get you get some more backstory about, uh, what Daphne's doing.
Speaker 1: And then they go to McGee and McGee is dead.
Speaker 2: Earlier in the movie, they were talking about cigarettes, and they made it a point to say that Junior, who was the dorman right in the club, Yeah, he was the one that was mentioning his cousin Mouse, and that he was Easy was involved in a murder that he got away with it, but I think Mouse was the one.
Speaker 1: That did or whatever.
Speaker 2: So they also wanted to point out that he may be trying to do good, but he also got a shady pass too.
Speaker 3: You know why I ain't killed nobody.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he walked in. He was like where the white woman at? He was like, yeah, you know, I stayed away from there. Yeah, yeah, I bet you do. Which hey Man nineteen forty eight.
Speaker 1: Man. Even even in this.
Speaker 2: Kind of middle part of the movie when they were going to Mickey House, he Easy was like, Man, I.
Speaker 3: Almost driving around this white woman right in this white neighborhood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was really pointed out that he was stupid. What he was like, Bro, you get.
Speaker 3: Pulled over like because even when he was standing at the end of that boardwalk and white came up talking.
Speaker 4: To him, was looking him around here, he was looking like, no English, no English.
Speaker 3: He was right because you knew what was going to happen.
Speaker 1: They turned up quick, real quick.
Speaker 3: What are you doing talking to.
Speaker 1: Quick? He called him nigger quick? You know.
Speaker 3: On the walk up he said talking about the sunrise? What he saying about the sun We were talking to her about this.
Speaker 1: Because at first that's how that was, that she was choosing bro, and.
Speaker 3: They would have walked off Ken, I ain't gonna lie to walk out. She would have got no words. So she worked up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they were pumps, man, which you know, it shows that a lot of those guys are pump but it's my mentality. A lot of us is one of you. Yeah, that was like he was in a dire situation. But hic come all right, as I forgot that's what you'll think.
Speaker 1: About, all right. He came over there, Bro, he regulated ship.
Speaker 2: Really as a white man, he could do that, right, He was like call back. He's like, you were gonna do That's what I was thinking too, Like he's really gonna do this ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was good.
Speaker 3: Was dude I liked alright though, Man, I feel like he played that role. He was selling it man when he was eating the sandwich in his house and ship man only this was LIQUI was cheap, right, You're gonna drink his liquor.
Speaker 2: That was good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Who was his joint detectives or not?
Speaker 3: But it was a white guy's hitchman, like the other dude was Asian or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I can't really overlook that model minority bro.
Speaker 2: You know how they can assimilate and you know, and be accepted even though they're not.
Speaker 3: But he popping up because it was in sentence like that, what what's going on?
Speaker 1: But that that that's the historical accurate too.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah but I saw a video about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but no, yeah, yeah that seems because again this was I mentioned earlier, like he didn't really put up with a lot of the racist ship except when he put the gun to his head because he called him, called him a nigga.
Speaker 1: He was like, that's my money in your pocket.
Speaker 3: But when he said hey go give me some liquor.
Speaker 2: He was like, man, he was like, hey man, you got balls whatever, and he meant it and he did, you know when he got it. But because of the cigarettes, they realized that Junior was involved, which was a dead giveaway. But this when we get introduced to easy. But I do have a question this part. Didn't that make sense? I mean, Miles, I'm sorry, Yeah, it's part to make sense. The devil in the blue dress, daperty. I saw that body, got in the car, took off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he left there, broh.
Speaker 3: But didn't didn't later come out that she had something to do with it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so she.
Speaker 3: Was just taking him up, hoping he would get caught up there.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, I forgot why she was like, I can't remember that part, but I think, oh, I don't know what her involvement.
Speaker 3: Was with because he had the pictures and that's why he got killed. Okay, yeah, I proved she was black or something. My question is what what was that his car? Yeah, so she took off in his car, That's what I thought. Yeah, Okay, how he gets back? I thought he walked.
Speaker 2: It gave the appearance because it took him all night, get back to get back into son was coming up. But you also in that white neighborhood. Yeah, you know, so I don't know. So I guess he walked back because remember the earlier part. I didn't mentioned this because we just kind of talking about the move. Wrong, was the I think the.
Speaker 1: Other minor mayoral candidate or the existing mayor picked him up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let me out right here. Yeah, he ain't want no fame. It got to take me home. I don't want no fame, like want nothing from you, sir, I don't I do not want to owe you. He was right, He was right. I don't want to owe nobody like that. Nothing lucky. I'm a friend of the Negros. He love saying that ship back then there.
Speaker 2: But anyway, so so easy was that Frank Green is evolved. Frank Green at the time, he was thinking, that's Daphne's cousins boyfriend. So he's looking for Frank Green and he's stirring ship up, and Frank Green went to holler at him and then they took the fight easy to get this cut on his neck?
Speaker 1: Rod, What do you think about mouse? Bro?
Speaker 4: Mouse is great man. Mouse came in hot Bro, He came in hot. He came in about that action bro immediately he never let up, never let up. He almost shot him ship.
Speaker 3: Y'all.
Speaker 5: As Yeah, man, I loved I loved him.
Speaker 3: It reminded me of Old Dog Man that like that he was that bird look like Wesley Snipes. He like he looked like he was dark. He was dark, but there was some similarities outside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love this character.
Speaker 3: I think That's what I mean. Not immediately, but like when I was watching, I was like, damn, that's old Dog of the forties.
Speaker 1: So he was good man.
Speaker 3: He was about that.
Speaker 1: Actually.
Speaker 4: I like the man praised performance. They should he that that is. Seeing that you can see why he is where he sent it to what he.
Speaker 3: For sure, he seems so comfortable.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: It's interesting thinking about the movie, kind of analyzing it a little bit, like because at this point you're kind of halfway through the movie and you.
Speaker 1: Know all the characters.
Speaker 2: He kind of brought a new sort of energy to it to carry us all the way to the end. You know, he was a very interesting character. We knew of him be a word of mouth, and now here he is and.
Speaker 3: Like you say, he came in hot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was about to shoot Green, Bro, he damn stole the movie.
Speaker 3: Man, he did, he damn stole the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I ain't gonna.
Speaker 3: Leave him with me if he don't want to be dead, like you know, I killed.
Speaker 5: Niggas, Like niggas say something wrong to me?
Speaker 3: He dead like like he's like, why why are.
Speaker 1: You leaving with me? It's your phones?
Speaker 2: Everybody knows. Bro, ain't the funniest part about that? He was like, where at right?
Speaker 1: He's like you over.
Speaker 3: There, over and over there, like he's just chilling. Like he's just chilling. He said, I feel like doing too much work. God got an easy way to handle this, right.
Speaker 2: And easy already know what's up? He knew his cause right, that was Cusin, right, Yeah, he knew his cousin. Bro, I got I got we all don't know if y'all, but we got cousin.
Speaker 3: Everybody got a crazy cousin. Dude, he got a crazy cousin.
Speaker 2: I want to call him, but when you when you do call him, you know what to expect, yeap every time, bro, like bright so yeah, but yeah, like Junior because they walked up on JR.
Speaker 3: Junior would let easy right, but he saw mouse right right. He left the door and mouse. Easy sitting there talking about it.
Speaker 2: He said that a lot of that fool said, I ain't take nothing to let damn out mouse of life.
Speaker 1: He laughing, and right.
Speaker 3: Right, he was good.
Speaker 1: He was man, He was good because every time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because twice he you know, Jim tried to buck on him and he pulled the gun out and Dreams sat right back time.
Speaker 1: Oh man.
Speaker 2: But yeah, So anyway, the text was trying to say Easy up and accuse him of double murder. He said, now give me, give me to morning I got you don't worry about it. So we found out about a book which was a bible and had photos of the rail with children naked children, so you know, you know what that is. And that's when Easy realized that Albright works.
Speaker 3: For Terrell and not Carter.
Speaker 2: Now, just to mention it because it was in the movie. It was a big part of the movie. Well not a big part of the movie, but it was a scenericod part where.
Speaker 1: Easy went to Carter.
Speaker 2: And that's when he discovered that too, when he went up and pressed him for one thousand dollars, you know, and he was asked, White dropped out, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 1: He never would tell.
Speaker 2: And then he was like, Oh, I think you're trying to, you know, squeeze me for money or whatever. I reframed it. It was like two hundred dollars. I want two hundred dollars Now. He was like, take it, take it off, threw all the money at him, but he but easy was right. He was like, yo, why didn't you go to the cops. Why didn't you do this? So he kind of he had no choice.
Speaker 1: But anyway, but this whole part, about.
Speaker 2: This middle part, did this kind of keep you guys attention where you guys still engaged through this.
Speaker 1: Part as well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I think the good part about it is I had a outside of the acting being really good, in the world building was really good. The story was interesting. It's like, what's going on with this nave? Like why is it? How did she get him in so much trouble? You know what I'm saying. So that's what held me throughout the middle because again, like we said, we've always seen it, but I was still like, what's gonna happen next? So her origin of why all of this was happening was still interested in me and holding me that through the middle, Yeah, because really you really didn't know.
Speaker 2: And the other part of like rid is just little small, little subtle things like when he left the police station out of cops, which is driving fucking with it, you know, and he just had to keep on walking. Yeah, and that like it you know, didn't exist. This was when the other guy picked him up too as well.
Speaker 3: But I tell you another thing that usually hit the Missing movies that they did really well was a narration. I like Denzel telling the story and doing the voiceovers to speak over is in it too, Like I feel like that was It added a lot to the movie.
Speaker 2: So in the final part of the movie, the final act of the movie, we get everything revealed. Rob, what did you think about the reveals in the movie at the end? Did they work for you? When it comes to what Daphne revealed about her and her.
Speaker 3: Frank Green, the reals are Okay.
Speaker 4: I think that that's what it could have been a little stronger for me personally because this this is what she revealed, that she was creole, her mom was creole and all that type of stuff. So yeah, that was cool because I think I thought she was racially ambiguous.
Speaker 3: She looked like a white woman.
Speaker 4: But she looked like, what's the name daughter Quincy Jones is now.
Speaker 3: And she looked like the kind of favorite the girl from Sinners.
Speaker 4: Yeah right exactly, So so yeah, she's like is she white?
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I thought that was a that was a nice reveal. What was the other reveals? Was there anything else?
Speaker 3: The other one was about to just the photos yet with the whole behind it.
Speaker 2: Terrell was the the existing there I believe picked up right right right, yeah right, So that's that was her her way keeping stuff like she had that as like collateral. Yeah, black male incriminated photos of Torell for black Male because Terrell was gonna reveal that she was basically black, Yeah, mixed rights.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's nineteen forty eight, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Right right right Carter with the yeah black life, you ain't wain.
Speaker 1: That, right, you ain't winning that.
Speaker 4: But I mean the reveal is like, you know, it's it's part of the movie. I mean, I mean, it's it's nothing else to kind of reveal, like, so it works for the movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll say that the reveal worked for the movie.
Speaker 4: But I wasn't like, oh man, Dann that's crazy because it was supposed to be a mystery, right, So I don't I don't know if the payoff was that much for me personally, for as a mystery is you know, for as mysteries go.
Speaker 1: What's the use spie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was good. It fit in with the movie, like with Rod saying, it wasn't too like, oh shit, I wouldn't. Yeah, it didn't blow my mind, but it was like, Okay, that's a good piece of the puzzle for the whole movie overall. Okay, yeah, that makes sense that all of this trouble would be around the pictures and the blackmail and the political stuff. So yeah, it makes sense that you think you're doing something simple as far as finding someone, and he was clarifying, that's all I gotta do. I ain't got to do nothing else, and all of this stuff came with it. But to find out why exactly, it was like, okay, that's a good story.
Speaker 1: Yeah there. I like the reveal.
Speaker 2: I think her trying to cause there are a lot of white people running around here acting like they don't have no black people, and she was trying to blend in and assimilate.
Speaker 1: And I like that.
Speaker 2: You guys pointed out that, you know the ambiguousness of it because again going back to him, we just review that, you know, because that that is the actor in that that Cam Tarrek Withers kind of has that same sort of thing too, Like and there's another guy because for second, I thought Albright was the other racially ambiguous black guy at being movies. He being slightly movies too, you know what I'm talking about. He looks damn they're white, but he's not. I think he wasn't in Harlem Knights. Y'all are knowing when you see him? God do In'm trying to remove his name, but I'll say if I can look it up. But because that's what I was saying, I was like, dang is alright? Kind of missed. So when she was like Frank Green's my brother, I was like, what how the hell that happened?
Speaker 1: And she kind of revealed it.
Speaker 2: It made sense because Creoles, yeah, you know, especially in New Orleans, bro they yeah, yeah, they could easily probably pass sometimes. So they have a lot of brightness to him. So I thought I thought it was interesting. Yeah, and you you know, think about like like the racial dynamics and how you watch easy being constantly harassed because he can't blending and how who he is, you know?
Speaker 1: And but yet she could.
Speaker 2: But when it got out, it didn't matter because when she was being held hostage because Albright came into kidnapper, it was it should be.
Speaker 1: It's movies, all laughing, You're like, which part of you is? Which party was a nigger? You know?
Speaker 2: And that's when, of course, all right, easy saved him and we.
Speaker 1: Got to see Mouston action too, and he don't miss miss.
Speaker 3: I don't miss miss Mouse. I love that he didn't dying.
Speaker 2: Me too, yeah, me too, was like, man, what you know, if I'm sitting here dealing with him, I can I come in to help you?
Speaker 3: Right exactly?
Speaker 2: But yeah, but you know, at the end of the day, when it was all said and done, she was still a nigga. And she went back to Carter hoping to blend in, took the thirty thousand out and Carter.
Speaker 3: Was like, nah, so she got stuck. And I love what he was saying.
Speaker 2: He was like, yeah, she still was kind of in denial and as she thinks that she can blend in, but nah, it didn't work. And uh, and that's when Carl was like you know, just just want to let you know I still love her up to my point, you knows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so.
Speaker 2: I love Mouse was like, also, I went and got the money from from her because I know your kind.
Speaker 1: And he was not lying because he went back to give her the money and she had bounced. So uh.
Speaker 2: And then we kind of end with him on the porch talking to the deacon and he was like, you know, said something about his friend and stuff like that, and you know, he's looking around and looking at the community, you know, and everybody's kind of having a good time.
Speaker 1: And I think they handled at their starting.
Speaker 2: They started a private investigation firm towards.
Speaker 1: The end, so and that was kind of pretty much the movie. So yeah.
Speaker 2: So all in all, Man, did the ending work out for you guys, and what you guys think about Easy's just overall journey.
Speaker 3: A nice little day in the life, week in the life of whatever it may be. I thought the ending was great. Movie was great. Like you said, I'm really happy that Don Chelo's character did die. This was good Man, And I can't believe I thought it was a spike ly feelings like thirty years.
Speaker 5: It was good.
Speaker 4: I feel like you see Denzel kind of go handing, especially back then, you would think.
Speaker 3: But you know that it's the more better blues thing. Yeah, that's what it.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'll just do a freeze frame for the part of the black guy.
Speaker 1: But overall, yeah, yeah, I think so. Now we can talk.
Speaker 2: About performance because we are some competing performers Denzel versus Mouse, you know, and just overall all the performance. You guys liked all the performances in here for the most part. Who started show or Mouse? Definitely? Definitely so the show.
Speaker 3: Roger brought up a great point as far as Dizzel did a great job of just making this dude seem normal easy. I know it might like to say he played the same role, like I didn't get Denzel Washington from this dude. I got normal every day working. Yeah, you know what I'm saying. So he did a really good job of taking you out of the mind process that hey this is Denzel. Uh that was good. The girl so briefly in there, I think she was very impactful, the one that got killed. Correct, Yeah, Coretta did a good job.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Those the three top performances for me.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, yeah, I think I'm gonna go Mouse easy, mouse and easy for sure.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know if I have a third one.
Speaker 3: I guess that play all right?
Speaker 1: Yeahright, good?
Speaker 3: He was good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you can't really you can really ever tell with him.
Speaker 3: It looked like yeah, alright was Yeah, he's like friend and foe.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did a good job.
Speaker 1: He was racist yeah, yeah so yeah. The corenda bo is good yea.
Speaker 3: The description of him yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: So but overall yeah, Double in the Blue Dress, which is interesting because the devil was the white woman, but the devil, but the white woman also has Negro blood and so the devil could be looked at the black too, so you know, it could be interchangeable. So I thought that was that was interesting, But I can't I've never read the book, so it makes sense.
Speaker 3: It's a book. I would love to see it. But anyway, that's it. Man.
Speaker 2: That is our thirtieth anniversary of the movie Double in a Blue Dress.
Speaker 1: We hope you guys enjoyed it. Let us know what you guys think about this movie.
Speaker 2: If you have not watched the movie, go give it a watch man, spend about an hour forty something minutes with it, and let us know what you think. So we'll leave it there and we'll cut you guys. That's time we go out in peace. Jee