Speaker 1: I was very superficial. I had one of those stupid lists.
Speaker 2: Why do you call that list superficial?
Speaker 1: You know when little girls were thinking of like, oh, prince charming, and it's over time that prince charming turned into what my ideal husband would be.
Speaker 3: I think it's interesting because a lot of women think like that.
Speaker 2: I ain't never met a man that thought like that.
Speaker 1: I had this list.
Speaker 2: A lot of people can fit the list.
Speaker 3: It's not like we go, she has to look like this, she has to be this hight, this skin tone, she gotta be fine.
Speaker 2: Women be having a picture in their brains.
Speaker 3: You talked about starting off as a young girl, but we hear prince charming and prince charming. If we focus on even that name, he's just charming and the physical attributes of him. We just start creating this. And so this is what happens a lot, and this is the truth. And women get mad about it. They go, he married this type, but he keeps liking this on social media. When I say this to women, they may not understand. And there's a different category that men put wives in and women that he put that he.
Speaker 2: Just smashed in. And that is two distinct categories.
Speaker 3: And women confused themselves to be like, but he married this, and be like, yeah, he.
Speaker 2: Spent his life with that. He gave that to his name. Just looks. Proof is in the push.
Speaker 4: I remember talking to, you know, one of the mentors that I had. He said, if you ever find a woman that's too good to be true, married, I've apposed to it, like right after, because I was like, I need to make sure that this stays in my life.
Speaker 2: And that was it for me. I need to make sure this stays in my life.
Speaker 3: Look at she looked at she melt and over. We got your little one doing the technical side of the episode today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, shout out to CJ.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 2: So we we drafted CJ.
Speaker 3: So if y'all hear me sometimes given technical direction to him.
Speaker 2: Let's just jump into y'all love story, all right.
Speaker 3: What started as a search for understanding became a journey of transformation.
Speaker 2: Every letter that I wrote led me to this day. The day I.
Speaker 3: Got married November the twenty second, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 6: Dear my forever, Forever is a long time. That's how long I'll love you. Those lyrics echo through every fiber of my soul. At the very thought of you.
Speaker 3: This journey has culminated with you as both the award and the reward of my pursuit of love. You are the award, the honor God placed before me, the recognition of growth, healing, and becoming the man I needed to be.
Speaker 6: And you are the reward, the blessing given after endurance, the gift promised to those who refuse to faint.
Speaker 3: This isn't just our story, this is for all of us.
Speaker 2: I'm the Terisaur Whitfield.
Speaker 7: And I'm Ashley are Windfield. Welcome to the Dear Future Podcast.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Dear Future Wife Podcast. I'm your host Litarisar.
Speaker 7: With hild and I'm Ashley are with filter listen?
Speaker 3: Are you still shacking up with us? Come on, if you're still shacking up with us, can we get a commitment? Hit that subscription button and subscribe. Make sure you turn on your notification bell so you be notified about upcoming episodes.
Speaker 2: It is so important for you to hit that subscription button.
Speaker 3: We do these episodes on a weekly basis, and we spend so much time, energy and finances making sure that we deliver this content free of charge to you. And so the way you show your support and appreciation is simply hitting that subscription button and make sure you turn your notification bell because a lot of times people are saying, how do I know when y'are going live on Wednesdays at nine am Central Standard time. Well, the way you find out is you get a notification email let you know that we are about to go live thirty minutes before we actually go lives, or make sure you hit that notification bell man. Today's episode is gonna be quite fun. I got my people on the podcast, I got my buddies, uh, and we're gonna we're gonna unpack how they've been instrumental and building the brand of one of my projects. So, without further ado, welcome to a Dear Future WIFEI podcast. My homies Charles and Johnson mcgil how y'all doing really.
Speaker 1: Excited to be here. Thank you so much for.
Speaker 3: Having us guys, Thank you so much. Charles, can you put your microphone closer to close?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Right there, right there, so listen.
Speaker 3: We got your little one doing the the technical side of the episode today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, shout out to CJ.
Speaker 2: So so we we we drafted CJ. So if y'all hear me.
Speaker 3: Sometimes given technical direction, to them like right now, CJ. Go to the camera three and so we're training up a child in the way they should go.
Speaker 2: Amen.
Speaker 1: And it's this actually a blessing because a lot parents won't bring their kids to something like that. You know, we really try to immerse them in everything that we do. We tell them about our clients to inspire them. So you letting him do that is like, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: This actually really this.
Speaker 4: Is a total alignment in so many ways because we actually recently decided to even take them out of school and homeschool them so that they can, you know, better grow their talents. Because this boy they want, the one that's listened to us right now. During the State he even saying he wanted to be a billionaire since he was five years old in front of it, and he also was able to explain asked them at five years old, I'm like, what does that even mean?
Speaker 2: Like how do you become a billiaire?
Speaker 4: He said, well, you pay a lot of people, do a lot of things at five years old. I said, hey, man, that's it. So this boy's been understanding things. He's been breaking down business ideas to me for a while. He's now ten and and and the school told us at this point, They're like, we just don't have anything for him, and so we're like, listen, we don't want to block his blessing. We want to figure this thing out. So who knows, Maybe this is it.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 3: It's cool because what I've always found, it's all about exposure. Ashley was a former school teacher in her earlier life in her twenties. But she talks about exposing kids and she's really, I mean, let me not even speak on it. You right here, So what do you think about exposing kids and stuff like this.
Speaker 8: Well, experiences are what make kids, basically, they set them up for life. And so when there's a lack of exposure, sometimes we don't even know how high we can go or what is possible.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 8: We did Teach for America shout out to Teach for America together actually the same year I just found out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the world go to the wire shot.
Speaker 3: SoJ I want you, when you see us talking as a as a group, go to camera three. So go to camera three and let us sit on camera three for a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was Miami cor Yeah, and I was New.
Speaker 7: York City core. Crazy. That is crazy. We're not the same age though.
Speaker 2: You want to make sure you say that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I always say that.
Speaker 2: You remind me. That's right, that's clear.
Speaker 7: He was a little older when he got into the court.
Speaker 4: I went the non conventional path. I didn't go directly out of college. Uh So, I just I was actually a community organizer out in Oakland and decided just to apply because people had said, well, when I was organizing, they were like, you know, you should help out more people, you help out the kids. And I never thought about being a teacher. I was like no, you know, like, like what do you mean. They're like, well, there's there's only two percent of you know, the population of teachers is black males. And I thought about it. I was like, well, the only black male teacher. I only had one. And that one that I had was my junior year in high school and he was the reason why I went to college. And so I thought, well, maybe if I could help out somebody else, you know. So that's why I just applied, just went online and you know what grade did you teach?
Speaker 2: Seventh grade math?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 4: In North Miami.
Speaker 7: Oh that's dope, that's dope.
Speaker 1: And I went on to become a principal.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, at the same school.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no no. I went from Miami.
Speaker 4: Then I went to New York to become a dean out there, and went to grad school out there, and then met John C. And then we moved to Sacramerica, went.
Speaker 1: To grad school at Columbia.
Speaker 4: And then I came out to California, where I became principal out there.
Speaker 2: It was everywhere. Yeah, man, so you went to New York and that's where she taught.
Speaker 1: Where did you teach?
Speaker 8: I taught at Excellence Boys Charter School, so.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah, he's your Canarsie. Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah so that was but that was twenty thirteen, I think, so were you still there?
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 8: I left in twenty twelve and then I went I went back to LA to work at the Broad Center. Okay, yeah, that's crazy, and he did.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 8: I taught all boys kindergarten and first really really impactful teaching all little black boys, like I loved, loved it.
Speaker 1: So that's awesome.
Speaker 4: Common school, so you know exactly the type of teaching that we were doing and how yes.
Speaker 8: Yes, yeah back then, you know I was I think I was like the second cohort at Hunter College, which is now Relay Graduate School of Education. So it was like back then, like Dave Levin was one of our professors, which if people don't know, Dave is one of the founders of KIP, so you know KIP as we know it today. Like I used to just sit in grad school and be like, this is really cool.
Speaker 7: So yeah, we were.
Speaker 8: We were definitely trailblazing some ideas at uncommon, some that were found to be great and some maybe not so great, you know, But I think we just give ourselves grace because we were trying to really create opportunities in neighborhoods where people had forgotten about our kids. And I'm gonna say our kids were forgotten about.
Speaker 3: Unexpected when stuff comes into the conversation that's so uncommon.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 8: And then one more thing just about exposure is like I do think that for our kids, like a lot of times, if we don't show them what's possible, then we're just raising them.
Speaker 7: And they don't know.
Speaker 8: They don't even know that's a career, that's an option or wow, people get paid to do that.
Speaker 7: And so it is really cool to have CJ here today.
Speaker 8: Learning about what you know behind the scenes looks like, so that when he does become the owner of several studios, yeah, whatever that is.
Speaker 7: He can be like, well, I started when I was ten.
Speaker 3: Remember, I'm gonna Benna be a little older that need to come bless me. That's it, you know, So see back into my life. Bions of dollars you're gonna have, We're gonna be a billionaire.
Speaker 2: Ain't gonna it ain't gonna.
Speaker 3: Hurt to you know, Girey, Yeah, man, But that's what I'm talking about. It's these things that happen that you get exposure at a young age and you don't realize the impact that it had. That's the reason why I've always been the type that I leave with an open hand to give kids. I remember we were growing up they say, if you can see it, you can achieve it, you know, And so that we used to say that in kindergarten a lot, and growing up in the hood, growing up in very low economic environments, taught me that I don't have to be the product of my environment. And so when I see a young kid, I'd be like, hey, and these kids know so much so quickly. If they know how to play some of these advanced games, on the iPad. They can clearly learn how to do some switching on some cameras work for them. So that's how I look at it. Let's just jump into y'all's love story, all right. Y'all celebrated ten years of marriage in February. This February of twenty twenty six was ten years Caulationngratulations, congratulations, And just I didn't know what y'all lived in so many different.
Speaker 2: States, oh man, So let me go back to that.
Speaker 3: Y'all met in New York and then how many times did y'all move from states?
Speaker 2: How many states did y'all experience living together?
Speaker 1: So we met New York. Yes, it's actually a cute little story, all right, all right, So it was it was it was a dark ready night.
Speaker 9: It was.
Speaker 1: Street in Harlem.
Speaker 4: Yeah, before we get there. Hold on, I was traveling from Knarsi to Harlem. And for those who've been to New York, you guys know how long that community. This is hour plus. My phone had actually died, completely died, like it was damage. It just it just wasn't gonna work, you know it Stow's the iPhone And I was really upset because on the train, like that's that's my piece is to listen to music, listen to the audio books, you know, podcast something, and I didn't have it, and I was so upset. So I had to go a whole hour and a half on the train with all the you know, the different stuff on the train.
Speaker 2: I want to say too.
Speaker 4: But then I ended up getting off on the wrong stop and it was raining, so I had to walk to one twenty five. I out of want sixteenth. I got to walk to one twenty fifth in the rain. I'm upset, and I went to the AT and T store. That's when John Cy was working. And when I got in, actually I was upset.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 4: I was an irate customer. I got in, I saw there was a que I saw my name. Seemed like people was playing around and before, like years ago, I used to work at AT and T store myself. So I'm looking at it and I'm like, dang, these people, ain't you know.
Speaker 2: I'm like, come on, man.
Speaker 4: By the time she came to me, I saw her, and I mean I thought she was was pretty, but I was I was like, I don't care about that, You're about to get this work. So I was I was pretty, you know, just very direct with her, and she was was like very kind, you know, she was just kind of smiling at me and laughing. And I ended up, you know, kind of just you know, kind of pressing, and she ended up saying something to me, and it caught me off guard and I was like hold on. I was like, you being condescending and she was like no, and she gave me a big old smile and I was like, man, I'm tripping.
Speaker 2: I'm being a jerk right now.
Speaker 4: And so I said, you know, I got to reset this. I gotta figure this thing out. Because then she went to the counter and she was kind of fixing my phone. There was some music playing, and I saw her kind of swaying back and forth doing a little dance right.
Speaker 1: A little shoulder behind, a little it was a little little hip action, a little little bit she was.
Speaker 4: She wasn't like full on dancing, but it was, you know, she was just enjoying herself, like she was having fun. And I looked at her and I was just like wow, like she is. God, I need to change this around. I started thinking to myself like how can I how can I somehow get this number because I'm tripping and somehow, so she came back and I said, you know, I was looking at her and I was like, hey, you know, is there any way that you know, we could uh, you know, like talk about something, you know, work together or something, because I was doing like a podcast and I was doing a blog at the time, and I told her about the blog and she said that she had been doing articles and she was also an editor. So I was like, hey, is there any ways that I could you know, get your number or something like that so you can maybe work together on my website.
Speaker 2: She was like yeah, sure.
Speaker 4: But in the midst of all this, this is the crazy thing that happened. In the midst of all this, I heard a word that came to my spirit and it was family. And I knew it was something that I had to pay attention to. And so I stopped as I was trying to you know, transition and get her number, and I said, you know, where are you from? Where are your people from?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Cause I'm thinking, is she family? Is God telling me that this is my cousin? I need to stop.
Speaker 2: So you know, you know, I'll asking we're people from?
Speaker 4: And she's telling me, you said North Carolina And I'm like, Noah, my people ain't from there, and so I'm like okay. So anyway, I ended up trying to, you know, get the number, and so I asked her for her information. She gave me a business card, and so I asked her, I said, you know, is this your number? And she was like, yeah, it's my number. I was like, is this like your business number or your number and she was like no, it's my number, and so I said okay, So but also I want to I want to also like pause because she gets up substantized because I say my side, but she doesn't tell her side. So what was happening to you while we were doing all day?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: Actually I was supposed to leave. So that's why I say God brought us together because I'd been there from the morning. I was supposed to leave hours before that, but I stayed to help out. And then you know, it was like really he came in like right at closing times. I was like this dude walking in, And so when the customer service girl came to ask me if I could help somebody, I just kind of peeked out and I was like, oh, he's kind of cute. I am. I'll just stay in hell. I need some extra money anyway. So but then I went out, you know, after I got my little iPad and everything, I went out and as I started to walk towards him, I saw like this golden orange glow around him. Really yeah, and I'd never seen that before, and I'm like, I'm supposed to help him for some reason. It like, even when I talk about it now and re kind of imagining that in my mind, I get chilled sometimes. But you know that's why I say God, for some reason, God was speaking to both of us in different ways in that moment. It was it was orange and golden, and it was amazing just all around him. And then I go up to him and he's.
Speaker 3: All, so, so you were around when I grew up about the movie Last Dragon where he had got yeah, yeah, glow, But I didn't know.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't focus on none of that, that's right.
Speaker 3: And so how did that transition from that meeting at her job to something greater?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So I ended up calling her and you know, setting up a time for us to get together. And when we first we we said, we you know, have go to dinner, right, But I didn't know if it was a date or not. And and you know, I don't think she knew if we didn't know if it was a date or not, but I know that, uh you know, when I arrived, she had me waiting for a little bit. At least it was an hour, so.
Speaker 1: You know, I take a little time to get ready.
Speaker 2: God, so I felt like I was was.
Speaker 1: Also a little test, like, let me see if he can tolerate that.
Speaker 4: Usually I felt like I was being tested, so I was like, let me just be chilled. You know, she came down. I didn't know it was a date until.
Speaker 2: I saw her. So you were sitting outside, sitting car, waiting for an hour? For an hour? Was it really an hour? Yes?
Speaker 5: Not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't And before that, I said, hey, there was a store on the other side of town and that sells the seasoning that I really liked. And I don't have a car. I knew he had a car. I was like, hey, before you come, can you just pop by the store?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, And it was not even out the way. But it was the most random season I ever. I had never even heard of this thing, and so I had to go look. And it wasn't like obvious. I had to go look. I ask people like I was like, so it took me a minute, but I was just like, why am I even doing this?
Speaker 2: But you still got there and then had to wait, Yeah, with the store still wait.
Speaker 4: So I was like, oh, but I'm thinking, like I don't know if this is professional or not. And so I'm just you know, I'm a studious person, and I'm like, if you give me a task, I task oriented, So I'm gonna go do the thing. So I was just sitting there, but I was thinking myself, am I playing myself right now?
Speaker 2: Like what that's about? Maybe just be patient to figure this out.
Speaker 4: But then when she when she came down, oh man, and I saw the way she looked, I was like, okay, this is a date. Uh. She had like a white top. I forgot the texture. I'm gonna say, cashme or what. I don't know what the texture was, but it was this white top. And it was just because when she at the store, she'd have no makeup on. She was like wearing baggy clothes, so you couldn't really you know, you knew she was a beautiful person, but you couldn't tell. But when she came out and she you know, oh man, I was like, oh man, this, Yeah, this is definitely a date, and so.
Speaker 2: I don't know what. So we end up going to the restaurant and then afterward as.
Speaker 4: To the movies, and then we were in the movie together, uh you know, he getting clothes and things like that. And the thing that I remember the most was just her. She was kind of motioning, you know, towards me, and she kind of had her hair kind of you know, hit me in that little bit and I was just like, man, I was like, man, this is this is a moment. And then we had our first kiss in the theater and I just I still remember it to this day, like it still gives me chills, like thinking about it, because right after we got done kissing, I remember just looking I was like, I'm in trouble.
Speaker 2: I was like, I'm in trouble. This is why was you in trouble?
Speaker 4: Because I could just see like I wasn't going nowhere.
Speaker 2: You're talking from that moment, you knew that.
Speaker 4: From that moment, I was like, this is different. This is something that because at the time, and I say this about our us getting together because we both in our thirties, is that we had our eyes wide open.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: We have been through you know, I've been through a previous marriage, I had kids. Uh you know, Johnsy was just you know, a single person, but had been you know through.
Speaker 1: You know, dating in New York City for a black woman, it's not easy, not theiest.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: We let me ask you, as we said, as a black woman, what's the difference in New York.
Speaker 1: Well, it just seems harder for us because you know, there's there's there seems to be a lack of compatible black men for us. That's how I felt, and a lot of my friends felt when we were in our twenties dating it was really hard. And then the ones, you know, the the fellas that were out there, they just they just went to play the field. And you know, I'm I'm in finance and doing all this stuff, and they just wanted to, you know, be reckless. And so it was really hard finding a mate. So when I met Charles, I was like I had kind of given up at that point. I'm like, it is what mind I was. I was even from a young age. I was just it's so funny because when I was a teenager, God put on my spirit that I would have a business with my husband. I would have a husband and we be working together. Really yes, it's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we want to get back to that God just God, just that.
Speaker 1: He really is. And I didn't grow up in the church or anything like that. I didn't, uh you know. I went to church occasionally with my family on Easter. That was an extent. But I always, you know, I would pray, and you know, pray through a lot of you know, a lot of things. But that was always something that had been on my spirit. And then as I got older and older into my thirties, I was just like, Okay, maybe maybe this isn't you know, maybe this isn't meant for me.
Speaker 3: All right, And so in the movies, you got your first kiss and you you you locked in, you like, You're like, this.
Speaker 2: Is this is this is it for me?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we were pretty much insuperable.
Speaker 2: After that was your marriage mind?
Speaker 4: Uh no, uh socause I already already did that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so after that, you just said I'll never get married again. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Before I met her, I was just like, I'm gonna do my my George, George Clooney, you know at the time, you know, he was like the you know, the old guy, the bachelor, right, So I was like, yeah, I'm gonna do that basket exactly. I was, I'm gonna do that, like I was, you know what I'm saying, and and and so I had my my feel if you will. Yeah, I knew that I want, you know, something serious, But I just I wasn't like trying to you know, find I wasn't actively pursuing anything. I wasn't you know, looking, you know, and I wasn't praying about it. I was just like I was just like, you know what, God, I'm gonna go ahead and just you know, be the best version of myself.
Speaker 2: That's what I was. That's what it was.
Speaker 4: I was just working on me, just trying to be the best version myself. And that's all I was focused on. And so when that happened, like that kiss happened because it rearranged my whole thought because I went from from being, you know, I'm gonna be a bachelor to now and be like I got to marry this.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh God, how did you know that? Johnsy? You know, he just switched that quick was he did? He started acting different.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what after after that first date and maybe after like a couple of weeks we did we like he said, we were inseparable. I was always at his place. We were always together. I just you know, I stopped hanging with my friends as much, and we just spent so much time.
Speaker 3: To get you'll spend so much time together that you got pregnant six month later.
Speaker 7: Shout out to c J.
Speaker 2: That's how you.
Speaker 1: Didn't know.
Speaker 7: Get married first?
Speaker 4: He had a question. I think he's done the matthe yet It's like.
Speaker 1: We're celebrating ten years of marriage and I'm ten. Put that together.
Speaker 3: And so at what point, so y'all got had this whirlwind love where y'all six months in get pregnant, and then at that moment that you start saying, who brought up the conversation about marriage at this point? Because because Charles wasn't thinking about marriage.
Speaker 1: Well, I think after I got pregnant, then yeah, he was like, okay, we have to because he's always been very mature. He's a very mature person. He's very you know, he's just like a little old man.
Speaker 2: I've been called.
Speaker 1: He's super wise and super smart. So I think he just kind of put the puzzle pieces together, like okay, maybe because you know what, it's funny. God probably handed that too, because I don't know if we it may have taken us a lot longer to get married if that hadn't happened. That because I was still kind of like on the fence of like, you know, you know, still kind of thinking in the back of my way back in my mind, marriage wasn't going to happen for me. Even though we were having a great time, you know, hanging out and getting to know each other and spending time together and having deep, wonderful conversations about, you know, eventually what we want to do in life, I didn't think it's gonna Yeah, I think, like I think, we were both at a place where we just enjoying each other.
Speaker 4: And you know, I think because of what we have been through, we both had in our mind that this could be short. Just at any moment, this can end. And we were okay with that because I think, yeah, because I mean, it's eyes wide open. We were very mature about it, like we we knew that, you know, like we we both had passed, you know, we we we weren't people who were necessarily like lacking interest from other people, you know, like I know, John c is a highly sought after person, you know, what.
Speaker 2: She is now she's always been bad.
Speaker 4: She always been bad, right, I mean, so I know she had suitors. I know all types of people wanted it right and you know I do, Okay, right, So I wasn't.
Speaker 2: I wasn't lacking for.
Speaker 4: No hard feelings, no hard feelings, and so you know, it wasn't. And that's why I think we were able to kind of just resting in the relationship because we were clear about who we were and what we had, and we had options and we knew that, but we kept choosing each other. That's the thing that I was just like so like amazed by is that every day and no matter what situation it was, we kept choosing each other. And so when that when when she got pregnant, it wasn't like oh man, you know, it was like okay, it.
Speaker 3: Was like, oh, she doesn't trap me trying to blame her when you're the one that was participating. We tried to blame the woman for them getting pregnant.
Speaker 4: It was not.
Speaker 2: Eyes for this.
Speaker 4: But we know the day it happened, okay, because it was.
Speaker 2: That it was that kind of day. So right, Yeah, we had a good time.
Speaker 1: So you know Father's Day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So she was like she I don't want to say everything that happened, but but it was very intentional and she wanted to celebrate me and we had a great time.
Speaker 2: A few weeks later we re member Father's Day. The other day we'd be like, boy, we had a time.
Speaker 1: It was very intense, very it was very very you.
Speaker 3: Want to celebrate him and so and so it was an understanding. It was cool. You were just like, hey, listen, we're choosing each other every day. She's pregnant, I'm finna choose her.
Speaker 2: When did that?
Speaker 3: When did God bring back to your mind that word that dropped in your spirit?
Speaker 2: Family? Wow?
Speaker 4: So as we recording, obviously I let her know that I had kids.
Speaker 2: How many kids? You have three?
Speaker 4: I have three, three daughters from a previous marriage. They're all grown now. So I got twenty five, twenty two, and twenty and so, you know, she was aware of that and she was okay with it. As we you know, once she got pregnant, we wanted the kids to meet her, and she came and flew out and met the kids, and then she met my mom and my family and just my family's from California. They were in Cali, so I was in New York, Sacramento. And so as she kept meeting people, like the way that they just fell in love with her in a similar way that that I did. And the thing about it is like as soon as we got together, and I don't want to get into too much of this, but no one really knew about her when I was in New York. But shortly after we got together, God started to make it so that I would be able to come back and be with my girls because the previous relationship wasn't it wasn't great, and so there was I just do a lot of traveling. So I would travel back to California when I was Miami, when I was in New York, I'd be traveling back every month or two to go see them, right, And that was something I was constantly. I was working two three jobs. I was constantly doing that. Did it around that time that we got together, Uh, they're my kid's mother. They she decided that, you know, why don't you come back and let's try to do some co parenting kind of thing.
Speaker 3: And so back Wet City, Sacramento, Sacramento. So you're going coast to coast, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: And so when we got together, it just all started kind of happening, and I started I was like, God, this this, this is, this is this is kind of crazy. As soon as I get with her, all of a sudden, now you know, I'm able to come back.
Speaker 2: You know, we're we're going to work things out.
Speaker 4: And just a lot of my relationships started getting better too, like just healing, and and then and a lot of another crazy thing that happened as soon as we moved back and we're doing the cold parenting thing. I ended up getting a principal job in Sacramento. Then I got a principal job in Stockton, which is nearby a Sacramento. I'm at the school in Stockton, and while I'm at the school in Stockton, someone comes up to me and says, hey, you know, I know your mom. And I'm like, uh, mom, like you know, and I'm thinking my mom, my stepmom?
Speaker 2: Who actually, who's my mom?
Speaker 4: Who raised me? My mom? My biological mom. I didn't really, you know, grow up with like that. And so I'm like, who are you talking about? And then long story short, ended up being her my biological mom. She somehow found out that I had moved to Stockton and I was a principal at the school met that knew that girl and I was her principal, this little girl that was you know. And then when she met my logical mom, met my wife, the way they hit it off, it was just like all this stuff kept happening, like you know, like just family from everywhere, and it was all like I could see Johnsy was like at the root of it because she would be bringing people together, she'd be telling me to call people, she'd be connecting things and it's just like, so yes, the family word that has been like she's been that since the whole ten years, like I've I'm closer than anyone everyone because of her.
Speaker 2: You see what God did.
Speaker 3: God drop that word in your spirit at the first encounter of her, and then God began to heal your bloodline. He allowed you to start establishing family with john Z and then started healing. You're talking about your biological mama, who you didn't have a relationship with at all, now comes back into your life because your ex wife is now welcoming you back with a co parenting situation across the country.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. It was.
Speaker 4: It was amazing, Yes, and every I say every year God reminds me of that word and who Johnsy represents because even when things are you know, you know, family is sometimes scenes get get a little questionable. John Cy is that person that constant for me who's been like, hey, give them a call, give them a text, let's try to reach out. Let's you know, let's do something.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So you know, yeah, and were you very close with your family?
Speaker 7: Your family is all you're from.
Speaker 1: The So I was raised in New York and my mom I was raised by a single mother. I didn't have a father growing up. So that's part of the reason why I, you know, wanted to be with Charles because in my mind, I always growing up as a kid, I would be like, oh, if I had a dad, he would do this and this, and you know, wanted a father figure. And I have a stepfather who's been kind of in and out of my life since I was a child, who's for some reason I was an adult who's more consistent in my life. But I didn't really have a father. And so when I saw how he was with his girls, how much he loved them, and just you know, those are like his little princesses, and how wonderful they were because of him, I was like, you know, this is who I want to have children.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, but yeah, being raised by a single mom was not easy. It was just, you know, family was not really like a strong a strong point, especially after so when I was fourteen, my brother was murdered by the police in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and so that kind of really shook our family. It was really, you know, super devastating, and I don't think we ever really healed from it as a family. And so hearing him say that, you know, I know the importance of all those connections and being in each other's lives, So you know, that's why, that's why I wanted him to pursue those relationships as best he could.
Speaker 2: That is beautiful.
Speaker 3: And so after how long did it take y'all to get married after y'all got pregnant?
Speaker 4: Months?
Speaker 2: Right? I mean yeah, yeah, So we got.
Speaker 1: We met in January and then found out I was pregnant like the fall, and then we got married in that following February the next year.
Speaker 3: So from a literally a year from meeting each other, y'all got married.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we've been inseparable like that even year. We kind of sometimes count that year that you know, we were just dating because we just were always together, like you know, it just it seemed like we just were locked in. M hm.
Speaker 3: And so what did your parents say on both side when you said, hey, I'm pregnant and hey we're married.
Speaker 1: Who my mama was? She was because she's old school, you know. She She's like, he better marry you.
Speaker 7: What's going what's gonna happen?
Speaker 1: She was like, I'm gonna have a shotgun, Like you don't have to do that, you know, it's it's fine, it's gonna happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I'm my family. So my mom who who I really was? You know, who mattered to me the opinion of the matter the most. My stepmom, but my mom when she met her, and my mom is, you know, very spiritual. She's the spiritual core of the entire family. She told me, she said, she said, son, because I've had a lot of bad relationships in the past, some stuff that not only broke my heart, but my mom's heart. Because you don't want to see me hurt. And so, you know, we we kind of together agreed that I probably should just stay single, like you know, and my mom told me, she's like, you know, it's going to take a very special woman.
Speaker 1: She tells me that he's going to take a special woman.
Speaker 4: I think that even though you know, you can kind of see it that way, but I didn't take that as this because he's.
Speaker 1: Just very particular. You know, he's very particular. He's very smart, so he needs someone to kind of, you know, be his intellectual equal. And you know, he's just and he needs a lot of love because he has a big heart, and people a lot of times take advantage of that, even in business. They do. So it's like, you know, I have to be his protector in business too.
Speaker 4: So so she said that, and I knew that. And then when she met her, she said, she said that that woman loves you. She said, she said, son, she loves you, and I could tell you that no matter what happens, you know, she gonna stay with you, right, it's gonna be okay. So when she gave me that, yeah, you cause my mom, he's fiercely in tune, you know what I mean. And actually, you know my mom, I don't want to say about the past, but it wasn't the same reaction for anybody else. She never said that about anybody else, So when she met Johnsy in particular, she was like this and that's what's important.
Speaker 2: She knew to say it that way.
Speaker 4: This woman loves you because there's been other times, I think when I was in situations where you know, people might have gotten me for different reasons, but but the core of it like being that love. And when my mom says love, because my mom she represents family, she's the core. She's the one that she's the glue. I think her and Johnsy have the same understanding of what that means. It's that unconditional kind of love. And I was just telling Johnsy the other day that, like, she's the only person in my life that actually reminds me of what unconditional love is because when I when I was growing up, there's so many people that get divorced in different things, and you know, like you start tripping like, hey dude, like I ain't got to put up with this. That's how I was raised, you know, in a lot of ways. And so with her though, it's it's never that, you know, it's like, hey, okay, we can we can fight, we can argue, we could do whatever. The end of the day, we're gonna stay together, Like that's not that's not an option. And my mom is like that too. My mom is like, she's she's a die hard, but she loves you. She loves hard and she's committed, and so you know, she recognized that with Johnsy and so yeah, you know family and my mom was like, yeah, this she she loves you. I said, okay, I want to also mention too that while we were dating and recording, her family was advocating for her. John Z's family and her friends. I never I've never been in a situation like this. Anytime I got, you know, getting serious to somebody, you know, you meet their family, their friends or whatever. They'll tell you about the person. You kind of get a sense. This was the only time I ever experienced was people were advocating, saying like, you got a good one, this girl right here, don't mess this up. They were like and not on some cliches that they were like, she is a really good person.
Speaker 2: And I'm surprised you around this long.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm surprised you still like, I'm surprised how many months, Like, I'm.
Speaker 1: Surprised, Oh it was. It was. I was very superficial. I was superficial. I had like one of those stupid lists of like qualifications and stuff like that. But it was Yeah, but that I think that was a sign of everything that led me to him, because none of that mattered anymore. It was like his heart and who he is as a person was just like, So explain that.
Speaker 3: I want you to unpack that, because that's a good thing to talk about. You had this list, and you qualified the list by being superficial. You said, I was very superficial. But then when you start speaking about you speak about Charles from Whiles, talk about the core values, the soft skills that he has. He has a good heart, he's very loving, he's very this. So was your list absent of that?
Speaker 1: No, I mean I was very attracted to him.
Speaker 2: I'm talking of your original list.
Speaker 3: When you say superficial, why do you call that list superficial?
Speaker 1: Because I think I had an image of who I wanted to marry in my mind. I had, like, you know, this picture of you know who we're little girls thinking of like, oh, Prince Charming, and so over time that Prince Charming turned into what my ideal husband would be, and so I mean it was just.
Speaker 2: Ridiculously.
Speaker 3: I think it's interesting because a lot of women think like that, but men don't.
Speaker 2: I ain't never met a man that thought like that. Like, men don't have.
Speaker 7: Like I had this list, well no not.
Speaker 3: Not A lot of people can fit the list. So it's not like y'all have an image in your brain. It's not like we go, she has to look like this, she has to be this hype, this skin tone, this whatever, this. It just be like she just gotta be a good one. She gotta be fine, like like that, like she gotta be fine.
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 3: It's whatever he determines fines with the multiple women he may meet. Women be having a picture in their brain. And when you don't fit that, like you don't hear men talk about she got to be this height, she gotta be that, don't.
Speaker 2: We don't do that. Women do that all all the time.
Speaker 3: So that's why I want to know when you had this list and you and you called it superficial, what made you create that? Because you talked about starting off as a young girl, where we hear prince charming and prince charming if we focus on even that name, he's just charming. But it's like in the in the physical attributes of them, we just start creating this and then you hear this whole. I remember I had we had Coras on the podcast and she made the comment that he just has to be five nine, What do you say?
Speaker 2: Five ten? He has to be at least nine as at least five to nine, And.
Speaker 3: So she put that on and everybody was like, I mean they just going in about five. And then you had a lot of women saying, oh, yeah, at least five nine because she's a taller woman. But you would just hear them argue with that. Men don't get that specific.
Speaker 8: Maybe not as specific, but I've certainly heard some men be like, I like her at least five five, five to five seven, I like brown eyes.
Speaker 3: Like I.
Speaker 4: Think okay, I would say I would say if a man said something about likely it has something to do with something physical. I mean, just to be real, like like for me, like I say, it wasn't to me about like how tall a woman was. It was for me like if I got if I came and wrap my arms around you. You know what I'm saying, do we match? You know what I'm saying doesn't line up right? That that's the kind of thing, And so that could be different heights. I don't know what the height is, but like or you know, some things like for I say, from my perspective, it was like when I hold your hand, you know, how does it feel when I hold your hand?
Speaker 2: How does it feel when we do certain things?
Speaker 4: And so when all that came together, that's.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of women think men are more superficial.
Speaker 7: Than y'all short girls, short girls.
Speaker 3: But then also they tall, they will they're not They're not that specific.
Speaker 2: They're open.
Speaker 3: They may have a preference and say I prefer this.
Speaker 2: But I also take this, and women be like this, Yeah, we be like we like this. I'm telling you, I've been a man my whole life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but when I'm talking about the men were talking about you were an and meaning that they would date you if you look, they'll also date another girl that's taller.
Speaker 8: You think women women are like because do I think that women may have a type or they may have preferences, but because the way that we're wired emotionally, right, I think actually men are created to be more like If they're not attracted to you in the beginning, it probably is going to be that. But because of oxytocin in women, I find that we can fall for more than just the physical if.
Speaker 2: You allow it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because y'fore Yeah, but I just let the man talk to you, like attracted to Every time I've had people on the podcast with women, they said that he was initially not my preference, and I decide to date outside of what I used to go for all the time, and then that's where they found their husband. Every single time I talked to some about it, they'd be like, yeah, to typically I wouldn't have done this, and I said, let me go ahead. I got tired of dating these type of guys they ain't worked out. So I gave this guy a chance and experienced the greatest love they've ever experienced.
Speaker 2: But they had to get away from this list that they've had.
Speaker 3: Uh. They had to get away from whatever they told themselves through all the books that they've read, through all the podcast whatever they've listened to in their life that had formulated that mindset.
Speaker 2: They had to undo somethings.
Speaker 8: I can name a couple of your guy friends I want right now that have made the same kind of woman and gotten the same kind of married.
Speaker 2: I keep saying Mary married. They didn't work dating. I don't know nobody.
Speaker 1: Else, I'm going to have their men have their lists.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry I had yeah, so I'll say for for me, like because at the time, like I said, it wasn't look I wasn't looking for a list. It was about qualities. It was about always so like.
Speaker 1: To say that at that time. But I'm sure what he was when you were in your marriage.
Speaker 4: About exactly, Okay, I told Okay, we had a lot of I had a lot of choices, A lot of choices, a lot of short, tall, I had lots of different races, Like I didn't all that didn't matter, you know, it was because I exactly I'm not doing that. It was okay, but but but it wasn't that. It was the moments that I had with with that person, right and if like, would you like I said that that first kiss, like I ain't had I didn't know, it ain't no light, but that nothing happened to me like that with anybody else but you. So when that happened, that's when I was like, Okay, this is different. I'm in trouble, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Like, think about he said the first date, you ain't even gave him none yet, and he thought that a kiss that.
Speaker 2: Is so innocent a kids.
Speaker 3: So that's why I want women to hear that so much, because men want moments, they want that peace, they want to feel that safety.
Speaker 2: The first word he said in his mind that came family, not baby Mama. Didn't.
Speaker 3: He didn't get in his mind and be like, oh ya, I'm gonna hit that. That's gonna be great, that's all. The first thing I thought is that he said family. Where that word come from?
Speaker 2: Is this my kim folk. I need to kind of figure out what this is. I don't want to get, you know, caught up with one of my cousins or something.
Speaker 3: So he started feeling this sense of safety and family is a word that's supposed to bring safety to you, and most men always say they want peace. It's like you'll see a one and you've seen it. You may see somebody walking around with a woman and he'd be like, how she get him? You're like, she must got some money, you know, she must got this. And then if you ever talked to him, be like, no, this woman, I've never felt more peaceful, I've never felt more seen.
Speaker 2: And you'd be like, oh, and.
Speaker 4: To add on to what you're saying, like when we were dating, just hearing from her family talk about how a great woman she was. They weren't saying, oh man, you got a bad one.
Speaker 2: She fine.
Speaker 4: We already knew that. Everybody knew that. It was about her character. It was like who she was, you know, her work, ethic, like all these different things. These are the things I'm looking for because you know, I'm thinking, you know, I want to build an empire with somebody. You know, if I'm gonna do it, if I'm gonna stop being a bachelor and I'm gonna stop doing this, I'm gonna build with someone. And so all the things that they told me about her, you know, how smart she was, all the different stuff. I was like, yeah, this is it. Like, because you know, you said, you know you want someone you looked at me like someone that would be you know, compatible in terms of you know, raising your children. Yeah, the same thing I'm thinking, like this is almost spend the rest of my life with. You know, she I and Johnson can laugh together like that was the thing to our marvel, that we would spend all day together and wouldn't get tired of each other.
Speaker 2: No, she was just talking about that. Yeah, we just sit up there and do that. We'd be sitting at.
Speaker 3: The half the house of watching Now she got me watching suits.
Speaker 2: I'm late to the game.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 1: Keep We don't talk about that enough, like more married couples don't talk about how you can just well, you really know it's the one for you, you can still the whole day with us.
Speaker 7: I always just say we're on the same wavelength. You're hungry, I'm hungry. You want to go do this. I want to go do this. You want to watch this. We're gonna go work. We're gonna work like we just laptops.
Speaker 2: Watching TV.
Speaker 4: COVID was one of the best things for us, and I thought it was one of the best tests of our marriage because we saw a lot of people that but when we got together like that, we got to hang out with each other all day, all the time. Oh man, it was like, you know, that's how we gain all this stuff. We was chilling and we really enjoyed that. And I think that we fell more in love because we're like, man, we really understand each other and we're and the thing is, we're completely different people, you know, we are not We don't think about things the same way, like but but we have such a deep love and respect for each other that, you know, like it doesn't matter what happens, like you know, that's this is my person, you know.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And for clarity, I will say, women, I believe we have more on our checklist by far. It is way Even studies show that it's harder for a woman to say yes to a second date. Usually if a man just has like a fine time with you, he enjoyed the conversation.
Speaker 7: He'll be like yes.
Speaker 8: Women will be like, I can't see it. He doesn't meet the you know, so we have far more. But all I'm saying is I don't think that men are without criteria without yeah, so I'm just if.
Speaker 7: We're waiting the scale for sure.
Speaker 8: Women, I think we have we have more on our lists, but men are not without lists.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, we have a list, but we have a list. But it's ambiguous. It's like, she gotta look good. What does that mean? At least look good to him. It's not that she has to be a specific height, it has to be this, she has to be it's not specific men. Are you other think men aren't more specific? Like that we're just more ambiguous? Why women be like, what do you want? Does he really want? He literally says, I just want to woman I can I'm attracted to that I can sleep with and be turned on by.
Speaker 2: And you be like, what is that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll tell you one other thing too, when we were when we were dating, I'm.
Speaker 3: Talking about marriage, not somebody. He just you just smashing dashing. Exact, you're gonna go for the high level just to smash and dash, But they don't mean nothing.
Speaker 2: Marriage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it gets a little bit more looser as far as the.
Speaker 2: What you call the preferences.
Speaker 3: It's just gonna go back into I want somebody to be a good mother to my kids, somebody that that that is peace. That's why all social media away talking about pe piece piece piece piece.
Speaker 8: But I also hear men say like if this is gonna be the one woman that I have forever, like the yeah.
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 8: But sometimes yeah, I think also it depends on appetite what they've been exposed to. I think some men are really not trying to set themselves up for failure, and so they do put a little emphasis on making sure that like this is some of those things that I know that I quote unquote fall for I want to make sure I'm getting so that I don't fall out of this in LUSS.
Speaker 3: So this is what happens a lot, and this is the truth, and women get mad about it. They go, he married this type, but he keeps liking this on social media.
Speaker 2: He keeps it seems like he likes this type.
Speaker 3: And the bottom line is that he married what he married because that was safety. Yes, he has to get healed from some of those toxic attractions that he may have, but what he chose that he could spend life with may sometimes not being congruent with what you see as the stuff he's liking on social media. So you see that a lot and you be like, why is he liking this? Why are you? Because they be in arguments with each other. I've had people in the podcast say well, why are you liking this?
Speaker 2: And he's like, I mean, yeah, she looked good, but I married you. And then they get mad and be like, but why you like that.
Speaker 3: He's like, I still got os, but I married you. And that's what I believe. The tension is when I say this to women, they may not understand there's a different category that men put wives in and women that he put that he just smashed in and that is two distinct categories, and women confused themselves to be like, but he married this, and be like, yeah, he spent his life with that. He gave that to his name. The other stuff he never married, you know what I'm saying. And so it's like, just look, it's just proof is in the pudding on there.
Speaker 4: So one of the things as I was deciding, you know, it is just something I'm gonna do, and I was, I was, I was torn because, you know, having fulfilled marriage before, just feeling like maybe this wasn't meant for me, but then meeting her and then kind of being in this whirlwind of like, oh man, this, this is this, this is gonna happen probably, But should I do this? I remember talking to, you know, one of the mentors that I had at the time. I asked him older gentlemen who had been married for a long time. I asked him, you know, like what should I do? And so he said, I'm gonna give you this piece of advice. He said, if you ever find a woman that's too good to be true, marrier. And so as I started to think about it, and I thought about John Cy, and I thought about you know, of course she's beautiful, she's amazing, so that that check. But then I thought of all these other things, you know, these intangibles, all these other things about her, and then the family word and all that, and then the people talk and it's just so much going on. That was like, this is too good. We were hanging out, were chilling. She ain't She's not like you know, she's not you know.
Speaker 2: Like high maintenance. She don't. You know, she didn't.
Speaker 4: Care if I whinding dined her or if we didn't matter what we did.
Speaker 2: As long as we were together. She was having a good time.
Speaker 4: And it was it wasn't like, you know, its just I was just like, this is so amazing, Like how is this even happening? Like and I found you and we met this way, and so it said to me, this is too good to be true. And once I realized that it wasn't, it wasn't. Shortly it was shortly after that put a ring on her. I proposed to her like right after, cause I was like, I need to make sure that this stays in my life. And that was it for me.
Speaker 2: I need to make sure this stays in my life.
Speaker 3: When I said, you said that, look at she look at she melted over.
Speaker 2: You get you doing that father's dance? Coming in? She just stared at him.
Speaker 3: But that's the truth, and that's what I want men to understand, is that that moment, you don't want to ever let it go. When I made that phone conversation, I made that phone called the Ashley that last week of February of last year, I told her, I said, it's got to be more like I told her straight up, I said, you gonna have to get rid of me because I'm finna put a full court press on you like you gonna have I done experience what I experienced when I and it was just a dream that I was like, I could see my life with her. I said, but we just friends. I don't even we ain't even we haven't even went on a date. At that point, I said, I am going to do a full court press on you and we finished just figure out what this is.
Speaker 2: But it is that moment of saying that I see.
Speaker 3: A person that can be in my life forever and I want to see what that's like. And I didn't want to sabotage it. I didn't want to. I didn't want to man, explain it. I said, Wow, you don't really know it. She live over here, she in California. You there, how you're gonna make that work? She ain't never All the stuff you can build up in your mind, you can build up monuments in your mind to make you believe it can't happen, or you can say not my will, let I will be done. Guy, I'm gonna go and whatever obstacle presents itself, we're gonna jump right on over it.
Speaker 2: We're gonna just keep jumping over it.
Speaker 3: And that's what But that's the part that a lot of men and I just want to encourage men to take the challenge of your masculinity and your manhood is to make a decision. Ashley's favorite definition of the word the decision.
Speaker 2: What is it to decide is what.
Speaker 7: To cut off all other options?
Speaker 2: Yes, cut off all other options.
Speaker 3: That's what the side is and what a lot of men do, which shoot me and my boy was in the same situations, like you don't have to decide. You can just date multiple women for as long as that lasts and then and there's always gonna be a new woman. Or you can sit there and say no, I'm gonna cut off all options and I'm gonna marry this one. And that's the part that men aren't honest. We had the couple that's on this week's episode, The Davis Is. She said, Monica said that she was dating this guy in Houston, and the guy said she started talking to him about being exclusive, and he said, why would I be exclusive with one woman when I live in Houston? He said, there's too many women here. Why would I do that? He just said it straight up. She's like, well, I gotta respect his honesty. He said, why be with one woman? And that's unfortunately what a lot of men believe because they don't understand the challenge of being with one woman. You're gonna have to go through life with that person and vice versa. There are decisions that's going to be made that it takes y'all collectively to come.
Speaker 2: To those decisions. But it's easy to be like, oh, that's too hard, Let me just go find somebody else. Let me date this person, date this person.
Speaker 3: So when you do life with somebody, those are some real decisions. How did you make the decision from going from New York and then y'all went, did y'all not moving back to California.
Speaker 2: Yep, we back.
Speaker 4: It was the co parenting opportunity that was there, so to be with my daughters more often. And you know, John cy was was was game for that.
Speaker 2: Were y'all married at that time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had just got married and she was pregnant. So we drove across the country.
Speaker 1: No j was three months old.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we just had him, and so we.
Speaker 2: All drove all away from New York to California.
Speaker 1: He sure did. He was superman during that drive too, because that desert three days.
Speaker 4: Yep, but we did it. We did it like, you know, twelve hours.
Speaker 1: And then we did it when we moved back to when we went to.
Speaker 2: Twelve hours at a time.
Speaker 4: That's what it is, you know, the twelve hours you stop, you rest somewhere and doing nothing. Twelve That's how I looked at it, you know, like I was going to work.
Speaker 1: He's like very task oriented, like plan he's the planner. That's I love them too.
Speaker 7: Nature you were a good tea.
Speaker 2: So y'all moved all the way there, and how long do y'all stay there?
Speaker 1: So we agree that when because I didn't like Sacramento, it's lovely, it's a lovely place. But being from Harlem.
Speaker 8: Place and I'm from the state, I'm from the great state of California, so I overstand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and people don't understand too. California is a big state. I was born in l A, but raised in New York. We left when I was like six or seven.
Speaker 7: Were born what city in l A, l A l A, l A, l A not not Yeah, No, in l A.
Speaker 1: I was born at u C. L A Hospital. But a lot of people don't understand that living in so cal is very different from North cal And when you're from Harlem and you're used to being around I was raised around black activists. My mom was an editor at you know, a black newspaper in Brooklyn, So I'm just used to being immersed in blackness.
Speaker 8: This explains the Oakland activists connection.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got a lot of those connections because actually I was I was raised in all parts of California. I used to live in l A too. I was in the Crenshaw area. I went to fifty nine Street Elementary School.
Speaker 2: People that know know in terms of what that was.
Speaker 4: But you know, uh, and I've lived all these tarp places. I was doing activism and getting into that. So that's when I was doing the website. The website was actually about like, uh like it. It's called Social Intellects, and it was about like activism and you know, basically uplifting those intellectuals that are out there that are you know, really really championing like you know, social justice causes. And that's what it was about. And so we talked about that. She was like, oh yeah, all right, about stuff like that and you know, edit stuff and so yeah, we had that connection.
Speaker 2: That's dope, that's a lot of interest. So then y'all stayed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we were in Sacramento and we agreed that. I was like, look, Charles, there's just not enough blackness. So what are we going to do about that? So we said, okay, when the youngest girl, his youngest daughter turns eighteen, then we'll move someplace else. So it was between Houston or back to Harlem, or Atlanta. So we landed on in Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and y'all been living in Atlanta how long?
Speaker 1: For three years?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: Yea?
Speaker 7: How do you like it?
Speaker 1: Oh? We love it because there's a lot of blackness. It's so funny.
Speaker 8: One of my cousins said, I like Atlanta because it's like living in Wakanda.
Speaker 1: It really is. It really is. When we first moved there, our youngest son, Malcolm, was like, we were in a Kroger in the grocery store and he looked around. He was like, Mommy, are these our cousins? Because we had never seen that many black people before because at his school, he was the only class.
Speaker 3: You know, was that c J.
Speaker 1: That's that was Yeah, that sounds like, all right, we're in the right place.
Speaker 3: It's hilarious and so y'all, so when did you stop teaching in Atlanta?
Speaker 4: No, I stopped teaching, uh in New York. So I got promoted from a teacher to a dean. You know that happens a lot, actually knows that, Like, you know, when you're a really good teacher, they promote you to leadership. So I became a dean and then became a principal. And really what that was about just impact, Like you know, I was able to impact you know, the thirty kids in front of me. I wanted to figure out a way to impact the school in the community. And so that's why I became principal.
Speaker 1: Was award winning teacher.
Speaker 4: Thank you, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yes, he was the ward the highest mass scores in Miami's middle.
Speaker 4: It was the gains. Yeah, not not so so you know, you know how it is so like the people who got the highest scores, those the sexy numbers, those were the people they were touting. I had the highest gains. So the kids that I had, they gave me all the kids that did not pass.
Speaker 2: The state tests.
Speaker 4: They would have the lowest scores, and so for for those kids, a lot of those kids end up passing, but it wasn't like ninety percent of them didn't pass. It was like maybe seventy some percent, but they started off at like zero percent. The other people who got the notoriety, they had kids where eighty percent of them had already passed, and then they knocked them up to eighty five or ninety percent pass right, So that gain is only really ten percent.
Speaker 2: Mine is a lot larger.
Speaker 7: Had the greatest growth.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so even as a principal in Stockton, he really transformed those kids' lives because he had That's what reason why he left the principalship, because it was really stressful for him because he wanted to do so much at that school. He got the new uniforms. He was trying to build a soccer film. He instituted e gaming.
Speaker 2: And just started.
Speaker 1: He was a principal. Yeah, so he left education when we were in when we were in Stockton.
Speaker 8: But yeah, I just want to celebrate you because, like you said, I don't want to gloss over the fact there's not a lot of black men in education and a lot of I think the rhetoric around that is like why would a black man go teach? But that is one of the most powerful physicians.
Speaker 7: That a black man can be in.
Speaker 8: So I just want to salute you because you know, I, as an all boys teacher, would say that I thought I did well, but I certainly the few black men that we had that were at the school, I can honestly say that their physical presence at the school did so much for those boys that I taught. It was the difference between like we'd be like sitting star and they would sit like this for me, but when that black man walk in, they'd be like do you. And so our kids even just shine when they have the presence of like a black man in that space. So I just want to salute you for that, and just any man that's thinking about like should I do should I Should I be a part of education?
Speaker 7: Should I become an educator?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 7: Yes, do it. It's a great job. It's a great career.
Speaker 8: And women, please, when you see men in education, celebrate them. Don't tell them that you want them to be something else or that's not good enough for you, or that's not a good career choice.
Speaker 7: Because it's an excellent career.
Speaker 2: You must need a career choice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, absolutely So Atlanta, y'all and Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Now and y'all were how did.
Speaker 3: Panda Commission come to play and explain what Panda Commission is?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: So so when I was a principal and you know, we were deciding that, you know, possibly I need to look at something else. Because it was March twenty eighteen, March twenty nineteen, I was in the er do distress. So the second time that it happened, my wife she you know, she's you know, when you got this hospital bed, she's like, listen, we can't lose you to a job, like you know, you got to do something else. You were stressed like that, stressed like that because you know it's it's you got to understand, like you know, I was to stop right here, Jonesy what you just had a flashback?
Speaker 2: What was that? Oh?
Speaker 1: That was all the stories of things that were happening to him when he was a principal, of all the resistance he was getting, of all the you know, it was just it was overwhelming.
Speaker 4: It was a lot. It was a lot. You know, you when you focus on the kids, and you know this, when you focus on the kids and you center them and their needs and make everything about them, there's some people who have, you know, objections to that. They want you to keep the status quo. They want you to kind of keep things where they are. These kids were brilliant. These kids had so much that they could do, and I wanted to expose them to more. I wanted them to you know, we had kids that would routinely at the time only apply to state schools. Those kids were good enough to go to Stanford in Berkeley and Ivy League schools, and so I made sure they did that. But in order for me to make sure that path happened, I had to to change things in structures and processes and connections and different things like you know, like I had connected with people to do like flying programs, you know, like for like Princeton and Penn and things like that. You know that kind of stuff. Someone has to to see that and also make it happen. And so I was doing a lot of things that were focused on the kids only, and not that I was disregarding the teachers, because I know that if you have a great teach the teachers are happy, you have happy kids, right, So I was also investing in them as well, but I think they weren't used to, and you know, is uncommon the expectations and how you go about like really pouring into people and even investing in them.
Speaker 2: If they're not.
Speaker 4: Ready for it, yeah, they could push back a lot, you know what I mean. Like even if you try to like try to bring family along and you know, you trying to help out your little brother or something like that, you like, hey man, this is how you do X y Z, and they ain't ready, they gonna push back on you.
Speaker 8: Because it's more. It's more than just having a career. You really have to give your life to the work. So you have to think about yourself as kind of like an activist because this whole idea of like work life balance, like it doesn't yeah, I live for my kids, So I totally understand and have seen that. You know, even just with education shifting that you know, prioritizing kids solely, there is like you know, some and not saying solely, but just there can be some pushback because people are like, hold on, I don't know if COVID I think did some of this too. People are very in tune with like the balance of it all, and they want to leave by a certain time. And so when you're coming with the spirit of like anything for yeah, yeah, anything for the kids.
Speaker 4: I got it from Teach for America because you know, it's like, you know, student centered, you know, like what's best for the student. Yes, if you if you shift the perspective of whatever you're whatever you're doing in your classroom, whatever it is, if you shift the perspective to what's best for the student and not what's best for me as the adult or what do I feel like doing or what you know?
Speaker 2: Am I like?
Speaker 4: If you shift that, then you you there a lot of the whole world opens up in terms of what you know it should be possible and could be possible. And since I was the principal and I had the resources, we we actually were, you know, the school that had the most money in the whole network, and but a lot of people didn't know that, and we weren't using the resources I felt like in the best way to center the kids. And so when I started to do that, I think people just weren't you know, weren't weren't used to that. So it was stressful to have to keep advocating and keep explaining that, you know, especially because it's like, man, I'm trying to I'm trying to do everything I can. Can't y'all see this, and so it was just really hard, and so you know, you get you get stressed.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: I actually I didn't even know what it was until, you know, I'm starting to have these like you know episodes, you know, and I'm just like, I gotta go to the hospital, like I'm tripping.
Speaker 2: You went to the hospital twice.
Speaker 4: Twice, Yeah, yeah, just like your heart was racing. Yeah, I found out I had high blood pressures. That was the first time if you found out out was was because of something like that. Because things were so stressful, you know, I ended up like I think one time, I felt like I had like a panic attacker. So I don't know what it was like, you know, how to describe. Only it wasn't a heart attack to call. It was the call of mild or something. I don't know what it was, but anyway it was, it was it was to the hospital, and I knew that, you know, I was highly stressed out, and so we needed to to pivot. And so our first pivot actually was John cy I taught our boys how to read at the age of two, both our boys, right exactly.
Speaker 7: Talking about I was like, what child, Yeah.
Speaker 2: God, my boy, you know, And I'm the teacher. I'm the educator.
Speaker 4: But she's at the house and she's teaching them, and I'm and I'm looking at this.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, these boys two years old over here reading me books.
Speaker 4: This is crazy. And so at the time when we transitioned, the first business was actually in home preschool because I was like, well, you taught our boys how to read, and I know how to run a school, so why don't we just combine these efforts and just help out more kids. And so we opened up and you know, initially, I'll tell I'll say, and this is the story we always tell, but initially it was crickets. When we first opened up. It was crickets because we were doing traditional marketing.
Speaker 1: We were Walmart handed out, I got a pre school. I'll teach you how to read it all that.
Speaker 3: It was like.
Speaker 4: So I started, I said, I don't know if people search for childcare this way, like I think they just go online.
Speaker 2: He probably go to Facebook or something.
Speaker 4: So at the time, actually, the whole time I was a principal, I was studying digital marketing on the side. I always been someone who knew how to build websites and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: And I was rebranded his school too.
Speaker 2: That was one of the first things I did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody the parents.
Speaker 4: Branded school, got them new gear, outfits all that, like make sure everybody was flying because that's if.
Speaker 2: You know what Deon say. You know.
Speaker 4: They pay good, right, So I was like, I want everybody to feel like, you know, they look good. So anyway, so when it came to the preschool, I was like, you know, digital marketing is something that I've been doing on the side, and so I looked at all the websites in the area, and I looked at how people were marketing, and I was like, I feel like I could do it better. And so I built a website, and I did the marketing and I did like ads and things like that, and we went from you know, basically having nobody checking for us to having our daycare full within weeks and then we had like a forty parent like waitless, you know, and then we started helping and we were having so many people were referring people to other daycares, you know, to help fill them out because the needs were there, but people just didn't trusted and they didn't they didn't they didn't have something. I'll say, it's a brand that they could trust, right, and so they saw the website, they saw the brand, and they saw the marketing. And then the thing is, I knew it if they were come in the house and they saw Johnsy and we had you know, some fresh baked cookies in the back, and we had it laid out the way it's supposed to because we had a two story and our bottom floor was a total daycare.
Speaker 2: So I made it look like a school.
Speaker 4: We had different sections, differentiating instruction, we had different things. Our backyard was decked out. So I knew if they could just come and see what we had, they would, you know, sign up. And sure enough, man, people start coming and.
Speaker 2: They walk in.
Speaker 4: They was like, oh my god, you got Johnsy there smiling at them and tell them how you know, She's gonna love on they child and you know, and provide education. And then our boys are there and they're three years old and reading. They was like, oh yeah. So we had people signing up left.
Speaker 1: And right, and then COVID happened and shut us down.
Speaker 4: That's what shut us down. And actually I was at the time, so we when we got shut down, we actually had a good time.
Speaker 2: The first two weeks we got back to us.
Speaker 4: It was just me and my wife and we was chilling and you know, but I realized. I was like, man, hey, babe, we ain't got paid. And she was like, what you gonna do about that? And I was like, man, it's been two three weeks.
Speaker 2: She's like, ye, what you're gonna do about it?
Speaker 4: Like man, So I went upstairs and I was on my laptop and I was I was praying, asking God what should I do? And actually at the time, I was redesigning a friend's website because I didn't like the way it looks. I was just bored, and God spoke to me, said, you're doing it now. You know, he said, this is what you do. And so I went and made a Facebook post and and put out that, Hey, I'm building sites, I'm building funnels. I'm just you know, and next thing, I know you our first month.
Speaker 2: We did five figures.
Speaker 4: Shortly after that we ended up being subcontract to do some websites for funnels for Eric Thomas, the Hip hop Preacher. And then once that's once people started knowing that we were behind that, you know, that was the start of.
Speaker 3: Paying yep PANDIC commission. And I've had my experience working with y'all.
Speaker 2: Charles is really quick at what he does.
Speaker 3: And shout out to Candace for the introduction to my publicist, Candace lab Better, and she was like, Terrris.
Speaker 2: She kept telling me over and over again, you need to get your website. Get website.
Speaker 3: I said, Man, people don't worry about website no more I care about Instagram.
Speaker 2: I ain't gonna do that, Terrs. Need a website, need a website.
Speaker 3: And so she introduced me to y'all and I'm very when I said, I'm so particularly like, if we're gonna do it, it gotta be right. That's just how I look at stuff. And I'd be like, man, Canda Is don't want these people, and they whack and they stuff be lame. I could have been on. That's what I told her, I said, So I started off. I said, I'm gonna do it on my own. Forgive you said, I need the website off in the building. So I built my website, and then she introduced me to y'all. I said, look, Charles, up what I did. He' like, that's nice. I see where you were going, what you were trying to you. I said, hold on, I thought this was good. I'm gonna take what you do and expand I said, all right, we're gonna see what you're gonna do. Man, you sent me that thing. I said, that's what I'm talking about. I looked amazed. Matter of fact, I'm gonna drop a video right here so y'all can see the process of our first call that we had and how he took my idea and expounded on my imagination and created the website for Student of Love.
Speaker 5: So the Terris, I know that you have been in your production studio all.
Speaker 1: Night, but we got to get this website up.
Speaker 5: So I'm went ahead and I called my people, Carls and John Z Charles and john Z. Thank you, thank you, thank you for hopping on this call with me tonight.
Speaker 1: The situation is we are about to launch his new book.
Speaker 3: I spent the night in my studio last night. I came here at noon yesterday. I made Cannibs a promise that I will not leave my studio until this website is done.
Speaker 2: On call list the white flag, all.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm waving, I'm tapping out. And so she sent me a link to your page, to your website. And y'all the truth, y'all, y'all, y'all the best, And so I bow down. O here, do what y'all do. I don't even want to show y'all what I built. Already, y'all are the experts in this. Hey, I'm gonna stay a student of love. I'm gonna let y'all do what y'all do. Let me go home, all right? That is that a deal that works? And we got you, Yeah, gotcha.
Speaker 1: You stay in your zonner, genius, and we'll take care of it.
Speaker 2: Get out the way and let y'all do what y'all do.
Speaker 5: Height damn good ready and quick question, the y'all fits Wi Fi too, because the whole time he.
Speaker 2: Was talking about he has worked so hard.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to get this website up that his whole video was stuck with him like this, Can you know what y'all's in?
Speaker 2: John Ny?
Speaker 5: Just tell Literarius how he can find y'all online again, just in case he needs to remind him how great y'all are.
Speaker 4: Yes, you can go to UH Paniccommission, dot com, Panda Commission. You can also search us on Instagram at Panic Commission that works as well, or Facebook at Pandic Commission.
Speaker 1: So every Pande commission, make sure there's no asset at the end.
Speaker 2: How study?
Speaker 1: How pass every great?
Speaker 3: So when you when you when you first took on this opportunity to do Student of Love? You know, this is my baby, My book was about to come come out. How did you approach it?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 4: You know, for me, everything that I do is about intentionality. And and I recognized too that you were a very intentional person as well. And I remember us talking and I kind of, you know, do my research. You know, I was looking up some of your stuff and I already was aware of who you were, but I was, you know, doing more, you know, trying to really and I realized that you had a keen eye for video, like your stuff looks amazing, like this, that's amazing, right, And so I knew that I had to be very particular, right, and I understood there was gonna be a high level of excellence as you were expecting, because that's who you were as a person. And so I was just looking at a lot of different things. And I also realized, to me, it seemed like you had a lot of intentionality around the cover and the story that the cover was telling. And so I wanted to make sure that the site honored that honored that story because for me, when you design websites, it's one thing just to get it done and get it done quick. That's cool, But can you tell a visual story? Can you make somebody feel something?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: And oftentimes the sites that we create, people don't realize that. But sometimes me and Johnson we'll sit back and we'll talk about what do we want people to feel when they see the site. What are the words that should come to their head as they scroll right, And we know we got it locked in when we do the site and they see it and they start saying the same words that we said we were brainstorming, right, But that's how intentional we have to be.
Speaker 2: And it doesn't happen overnight. You know, it's gonna take some iterations.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, and I think I don't know how many you saw, but usually before you even see one, we've already done three or four versions of it, just to see.
Speaker 2: Three or four.
Speaker 4: That's typically what we do, yes, before you even see it, just to make sure that it's something that speaks to us because we want to we want to feel it ourselves, hoping that when you see it it feels the same way.
Speaker 3: So, Johnsy, what did you think when he presented you and told you about Student of Love? What was your first concept or idea idea? What did you take away from asa were ide eighting with the concept and idea?
Speaker 1: Well, that whole concept was mostly Charles. I am not the designer. He is, you know, the brains behind all that. But I was really excited and you know, and excited for him too, because I know he he's a fan of the show, and so that gives him like a better connection and under standing. Like a lot of the clients we work with, he is already in admiration of things that they're doing. So when he creates it's like it's with that care and that admiration. So I was really excited.
Speaker 4: But Johnson's like my emotional barometer, right she So if I'm like if I if I don't know if I'm in tune emotionally, I check in with her because her her her emotion like she's always in tune. It seems like she just has a pulse. And so if I'm trying to go for a feeling and I show her and she don't get that feeling, then I feel like, Okay, I gotta I gotta rework this, right. But if I show it to her and she's like whoa and she gets to me that feeling, I'm like, okay, likely, yeah, so I know what she saw and she was like, yeah, that's dope.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was. It was. It was definitely on brand perfect. It was. It made me happily bow down and be like I down to a great one. Do what you do better.
Speaker 1: And that wasn't even like when when you guys had your call the first call I was, I was like, you know, I could tell how particular you were, you know, aside from you know what Charles mentioned before, but I knew that you really cared about how your website would be presented. Because you care about your community, you care about the people reading the book, You care about you know, people who are watching your videos and consuming. I could feel that on the call with you, so you know, I was like, Oh, he's in great hands with Charles, but he doesn't even know it.
Speaker 3: He just kept saying, she said, listen, y'all gonna work so well together. Matter of fact, before y'all came today, she told me today she's like, you're gonna love them.
Speaker 2: They're just so amazed.
Speaker 3: I said, y'all, I'll talk to him on the phone for Simon, but they're very open with their story. You're gonna truly love them. My publisher when we did the book, I was a guy that literally went and bought a desk. That desk and the picture and I went and bought a desk founded on eBay, drove all the way to Frisco, got the desk from this lady who was selling it, took it to a studio, took photos of all the angles of the desk and said, I'm gonna present it to my publisher and say, this is the desk I want as the cover. You know, and me and the art department was going back and forth the colors. I don't want this color, I want this color to the lead. The lead of the art director had to get involved on my cover because I was just like, I'm not liking this, I need this, and she was like, I think I know what the Tears wants. So then she got involved. It was like all right, let's get it. And I was like then I went crazy, like if you nail it, you give me what I want. It's like because again, I'm an artist, so I'm a graphic designer, so I can design stuff. And I'd be like, now if I could do it by myself, I don't need you. You need to be able to present me something that I haven't thought of or I can't do on my own. And that's what Panda Commission did with the website because I attempted to build a website, which would have been okay, but I don't want Hey, I want greatness.
Speaker 2: So I went to the people that could produce greatness.
Speaker 8: So how would you What would you say, I'm sure because you're a researcher, Yes, you know your competition. If you believe in that, I always say, we are we look in the mirror and we are our own competition. But what would you say makes you stand out as a company and how do you approach building websites in a way that really makes you.
Speaker 2: Unique phenomenal question?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say intentionality. I mean a lot of we have been glamored, especially recently by speed, right, And I understand everyone says, you know, money loves speed, and I get that, and there's there's definitely true to that, but there's also something about branding and having something that lasts long, and having something that foundationally speaks to who you are and what you're about and represents you to the fullest. I think we've gotten so used to, you know, this, this this culture where everything's so fast and we think that everything's so transactional that we don't we don't try to do anything with staying power. And so for me, when I approach it, I'm approaching it like an artist, right, I'm approaching it likes and when it's like, Okay, this is this is something that's going to represent this individual, represent me too as a creator, represent them, but also something that's gonna have impact, We're trying to get it to convert. We're trying to get to tell a story. We're trying to get it to do all these things.
Speaker 2: I could do it.
Speaker 4: Fast, and it could be transactional. It can have all the elements right and have a button that you can purchase. But oftentimes, especially when we're doing something that matters and we're trying to impact lives, it needs to be more intentional than that. And so that's how I approach it. And so you know, because I approach it that way, not everybody wants that. Some people just wanted to quick fast. I know McDonald's got burgers, right, I don't know if they sell the best burgers. I don't know if you're gonna have the most amazing burger you've ever had. I don't know if it's gonna be a burger that's going to be memorable that you're gonna talk about or try to replicate and at home, it ain't gonna be all that, but it's gonna feed you.
Speaker 1: I never want to make a McDonald's burger, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But that's the thing I think now, especially when it comes to websites and branding andortainthing like that, people just want it quick. They just want something and that's cool. You can do that, but just understand that that's what it represents to the people who are seeing it. And so, but what the clients that I work with Oftentimes, they're coming to me because they want something different and they want something that represents them to the fullest, and they're looking at a higher level. They're looking at their brand and they're looking at it like longevity because you their established brand. They're like, I'm not just gonna have this out here just to be you know, especially there're gonna bee hundred thousand people looking at it or however, so I wanted to connect and so that's why they work with someone like me.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 3: So how was it as we get ready to wrap up a lot of people do purpose together, they work together, building business together. What was that like with y'all? And what was the positive and the negative have been on this journey as been co founders Pande Commission, You know.
Speaker 1: What, It's a question I get asked pretty frequently, like how is it working with your spouse? Because so many people, you know, have this fantasy of working with their spouse And sometimes I did, I really did, and you know, it doesn't always work out for whatever reason, but it's been Initially was very easy for us, and probably because I didn't have as much of a hand in Panic Commission. And then as the years going on.
Speaker 4: And we started, she was doing the preschool downstairs, and then I started panting commission upstairs because after COVID had kind of weighed down a little bit, we reopened the daycare center. So she was so she was doing it downstairs. I was doing panting upstairs. So really it was just me starting and then right so.
Speaker 1: I would help them with things like you know, copywriting and you know, reviewing things. But you know, for the most part, initially it was him, and then once we closed the preschool, I I helped and stepped in a little bit more, but so much so that, you know, I have a few more followers and things like that. I'm a bit louder, and you know, I'm more, I have more interpersonal skills. He's an introvert. I'm an extrovert. I like talking to people. So I would be talking to people about Panic Commission, and they would think that I'm the owner and I was the one doing the designs and stuff like that. And so it got to a point where it became really stressful for us because you know, people didn't really understand our dynamic and that he's really the head of Panic Commission and running the operations and managing the team and managing the clients and all the you know, designs and everything, and so it it came to a contention because people were like, well, you know, we got to get john Cy to come and speak. We got to get her to speak. I want to, you know, talk to John c. She's the head.
Speaker 2: She can help me. Oh yeah, sure.
Speaker 5: And like.
Speaker 1: Do brand audits and all this stuff. And I'm like, this is this is charge.
Speaker 4: She wasn't even getting award. People was putting nominar for business and I'm like, oh it was, I mean it was it was Panda Commission, but it was her name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so you know, and then on top of that, I'm you know, trying to do things in the house, will be mommy and you know, take the kids here and there, and then you know, just trying to get back to rebuilding myself and you know, now we're on this weight loss journey. But I had to step away from Panda Commission in order to kind of revisit who I am and kind of think about what I want to do long term within the company outside of Panda, you know, as a mother, because now we're going to homeschool our kids. But I had I stepped away from Panda commission for like several months.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you know, to be clear, it was just misalignment in a lot of different ways, and I wanted I want Johnson to be in the front. She's amazing at it. She brings attention, like like I can't. We tested this out in different ways, like literally, she would do a post that I may have wrote or we wrote together and posted, and I would do the same exact thing. Hers would blow up in a way and minus of crickets right, and we would do this various things. We kept testing this out and it was just notable. Like Okay, clearly you do want people want to see, right, so let's let's try to leverage that. And what happens is I think is really Johnsy's heart. You know, she's she wants to help, and so people were asking for help, and so she wanted to help, and so she would does.
Speaker 9: I see people, you know, And then I had with these blag websites, horrible branding and looking like a hot mess and I have a heart for black business because that's what I grew up around in New York.
Speaker 1: You know, and that's I feel like being a black business owner and helping other black business owners is a way of acting, just like education as a way of activismin this ministry. And so you know, that's how that's one way we can rebuild our community as black people. And so you know, it hurts my heart when I see that. I'll be talking about it. And so she looked at website. We'll get you right, we get you right.
Speaker 7: She's I feel so bad. I was like, I'm sorry, this is about it's about commission.
Speaker 2: Commission.
Speaker 4: So she'd be saying stuff, and the thing was because she was you know, uh, you know, being seen as the co founder or as the leader, everything she said was pretty much gospel. So when she would say certain things, you know, I had to back it up as a company. But there were some things that she said that that wasn't in alignment in terms of how we actually operated or how things were actually done. And so it got to a point where, you know, and I tell her, I was like, okay, if you if you're gonna do that, if you're going to be that person, right because I went to you know, I went to Columbing Business coming to Columbia Business School, I finished the Chief Marketing Officer program. When I first started to do this work, I immediately went to school like I didn't like just like a principle, like you know, I'm like, okay, I could teach some people, but let me make sure i'm educated. Make sure I'm educated by the best too. So going to Columbing Business School and actually like learning how marketing works and branding and all this stuff works, I'm approaching it from a different lens. And so I didn't mind her, you know, representing us, but I wanted her to represent us to the fools and not just be all you know, emotion or how she ever she was feeling. Because she said, hey, yeah we could do that, and we could do this, and yeah you haven't done next week, and I'd be like, whoa, whoa, you don't know that we got like four other projects. You ain't no way I could deliver that, or if I did, it would be like super stressful for everybody. So I just wanted that alignment. And so we were having some trouble with that because John Cy, she's a feeling person.
Speaker 2: So she didn't want to.
Speaker 4: She didn't want me to botto her in in terms of be like, hey, don't say that, don't say this, don't say that, you know, and I don't want to do that. But then at the time, I was like, you have to understand, like there's real action that happens when you speak, so when you say things or even a promotion sometimes she wanted to do it was an amazing idea, but I was like, we did that promotion right now, and let's say we had ten people sign up today and they expecting it.
Speaker 2: We said it'd be done in five days. Ten people like, ain't no way.
Speaker 4: And so I would have to put a pause on that because you know, we couldn't fulfill that. And the thing is, you know, part of your brand is your fulfillment, right can you deliver on what you what you said? And so I wanted us to have more alignment. And so since we couldn't really connect on that in a way that that I felt like, I guess we both were frustrated because we didn't really see each other, you know each other's point at the time, we had to do that separation. Well, so we say we had a separation in business right, our marriage were strong. This is funny thing that happened is that as soon as we separated in business right, Johnson was no longer doing things. She even went goest online for a while.
Speaker 1: No, I deleted all my social media. Yes, I was done.
Speaker 4: She was like, I've checked out. We actually had a really great time in terms of our marriage, like it could, you know, because before we would you know, getting little, you know, discussions about the business that weren't really you know, feeling good. But then once we got back to just being us, it was amazing, right, And so then we had to really think about it. It's like, okay, is this you know, like we got to really figure out how can we do this at the same time, because one thing that did happen when she was absent was that, you know, we were pretty much absent online, right, because she is a person that brings the attention. So I need her and I need her ideas. And so I think now we're at a place now where she understands that fulfillment has to connect with ideas, Execution has to connect with vision. It can't just be all, you know, we just gonna do conquer the world and there's no actual plan in execution on how to do that.
Speaker 3: And so now so now her position is brand ambassador, correct perfect correct, perfectly with what she enjoys doing, what she loves doing, and she can open up social media.
Speaker 2: Back up.
Speaker 1: Last weekend, first week and I've been back, welcome back, welcome back to thank you.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I think learning from.
Speaker 4: I think learning from this too, Like I know, I got to get out of her way when it comes to that.
Speaker 1: It's a balance, just like leaning into each other's guests is what it is. Because you know, I have the gift of being the extrovert and having all these ideas, but I can't execute. Yeah, you know, I need him in order to execute on all those things.
Speaker 4: And the same thing, you know, like me, I don't think of all those different things in terms of like I mean, she's got amazing ideas, and I'm all right, let's okay, we can't do five of those things. We could do one, you know, like it, give me, give me some time, and we do that one and let's move on to the next one. But I need her for that because she has amazing ideas.
Speaker 2: That's good, that's good.
Speaker 3: Well, here's a part of the podcast where you grab that box. Y'all grabbed that box. Take the whole box as a marker and a key and a piece of paper. I want y'all individually to write a key to love. Write a key to love. Ask you what you think? What do you think about this episode? Well, and y'all can use the boxing, write and keep the box. Yeah, y'all can write on top of it.
Speaker 7: I loved it. You know, I did teach for America. I did teach for America.
Speaker 8: So of course the conversation is near and dear to my heart. It's not every day you meet like minded people.
Speaker 7: You know. My motto is when thinking about.
Speaker 8: Teaching or educating that if they don't learn the way we teach, we need to teach the way.
Speaker 7: That they learn.
Speaker 8: And a lot of people say that's doing too much, like here's my curriculum. They just need to kind of get on board. And you know, but when he talks about like differentiated instruction and how they meet the needs of their kids, it's like, I think that every kid deserves that level of like just support, right, and so meeting them where they are learning, taking the time to learn how they learn, to set them up for success, So hearing that, of course, and then just knowing that they're from the West Coast, which is the best coast, you know, the West Coast, and then just seeing how they went through all of these seasons together and then you know today now they have this thriving business and they are working out what it looks like to you know, work together it through different iterations of their you know marriage and then of their business marriage. So I just think it's really beautiful to see that evolution and how they take their strengths and perceived weaknesses and then you know, use them together to create something special.
Speaker 3: Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I'm not going to say nothing. I'll let you talk. What you said was just great. I said everything in the interview and you summed it up.
Speaker 7: I said that last week and you said, but you did you.
Speaker 2: Tell me I talk a lot during the interview.
Speaker 7: I talked a lot.
Speaker 2: No, not more than me.
Speaker 7: Okay, no more.
Speaker 3: Here's more so you you you summed it up perfectly and everything you said. And while they were talking about teaching the kid john Z teaching the sons how to read that too, I said, that's the Ashley thing.
Speaker 7: Yes it is. I told him I said, you have no idea. Like one of my.
Speaker 8: Pet peeves is people look at kids and they'll say, oh, he just he's too young to know any better. And I'm like, you don't know how smart kids are. Like that's what made me a successful kindergarten teachers. I used to talk to my kids like they were teenager, Like I don't baby them.
Speaker 7: I talked to them.
Speaker 8: I teach them, I have conversations with them, and then you realize how smart like kids really are. So that really was close to my heart because my kid will be doing that too.
Speaker 2: You're to tell them where you talk. I did, but the school. But what city?
Speaker 7: Oh, Bedsty, Brooklyn, New York.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was out there in Bestue.
Speaker 7: She used to say, Bedsty do or die.
Speaker 1: Yes, I lived in Bedsty for a while when my mom was working at a newspaper there. And it's you know, there was when I was growing up. There was nothing like uncommon schools for kids you know out there, and it's just there's such a need. There's such a need, because I agree with you. When I was doing the preschool seeing kids, they're already set in their personalities by the age. People don't understand that when kids are toddlers, you know, there were born with our personalities and it develops over time. And just seeing kids, you know, click when something clicks with them, and how their capacity to learn and their passion to learn is like, people don't really understand that.
Speaker 4: And the other kids that we brought in, Johnson was teaching them too. I mean they came in not even knowing any of the letters, not knowing much of anything, and left us, you know, reading, you know, she was able to replicate it and and and people ask how and why. Honestly, what it is is high expectations. Yep, you know. Expectations are self fufilming prophecies. Right, So what'd you do with your little key there? Right here?
Speaker 2: She got?
Speaker 8: But real quick, before we move on, I just want to say, because I think there's a misconception or misunderstanding rather about charter schools.
Speaker 7: And I love what you said. There was nothing like that.
Speaker 8: And I know sometimes people say charter schools are trying to privatize education, and it gets real political. But I just think, and I'm not talking about every charter school, but I just want people to hear that there are a lot of good charter schools. That started with the tension of providing alternative options to failing schools in neighborhoods and communities that had been forgotten about and underserved, and no one was thinking about creating better options in a lot of our neighborhoods, and so not everybody gets it right. There are some bad charter schools, But I just want to celebrate those charter schools that are in those neighborhoods, serving our communities that have been forgotten about and who have the heart of what you said for our kids, because that's so important.
Speaker 2: So go ahead and read what's on those key to love. Thanks for sharing that.
Speaker 3: All right, you don't get me all passion should for charter school.
Speaker 1: She was talking. I was like, oh, she needs to go ahead and your education.
Speaker 7: It's near and dear to my heart, I have no free time.
Speaker 1: So I wrote the key. The key to a successful mayriorgriage is leading into each other's gifts.
Speaker 2: That's perfect.
Speaker 1: That's good because that's how our marriage is let.
Speaker 4: And I wrote, if you want to improve your marriage, improve yourself perfect.
Speaker 3: Well said, do you mind if c J c J makes a cameo he walking and walking here J hit camera four and walking here and wave after I can see.
Speaker 7: You with That's the whole time.
Speaker 4: You come on, buddy, come on, shy.
Speaker 1: Come on.
Speaker 7: A moment I said, I hope you didn't fall asleep.
Speaker 3: Look cool now yeah, your head off, listen, man, Thank y'all so much. Y'all did a fantastic job. How can people connect with y'all?
Speaker 4: So they can go to panic dot com spelled just like I said, Panda and commission. They can also go to our instagrams or Facebook. Actually I am I am Charles McGill on Facebook.
Speaker 1: And at missus john Cy across all platforms, across all platform Also check out our podcast because we're come sit entrepreneurship and hearty turn around about that Mike, he doesn't even understand. You don't know nothing about He wants to be a YouTuber.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so they've been so they drove here from Atlanta twelve hours yesterday's about twelve hours, right, twelve hours yesterday, and and they've been tugging it.
Speaker 2: They've been trying to see who can stay up the latest.
Speaker 1: I know they had a challenge.
Speaker 7: I don't.
Speaker 1: He woke me up at like four so and.
Speaker 7: Then he was sleepwalking right.
Speaker 2: Right up here. You don't realize you all on this camera.
Speaker 1: I wanted to also mention check out our podcast because you know, Charles is a great educator and one of the things that we wanted to do is educate more people about branding. So if you go to YouTube, it's brand Currency and you can just learn a little bit more about what a successful brand takes.
Speaker 3: Good good. It's also available on Apple podcasts and everywhere you listen to your audio path.
Speaker 2: Yes so good, good Malcolm.
Speaker 1: Malcolm, say hi to everybody.
Speaker 2: All right, go back, just go back to sleep. You good, it's your show.
Speaker 1: You never had any kids on with their parents.
Speaker 3: The first time my grand baby, my grand baby Claire, I mean well last week since we recorded this will probably airing about three weeks. But yeah, it was first time have my little brand baby and I had it was a daughter in season two or three or something. Thing came off a little bit and walked off as a single father and he married. Now, but I was like, hey, package deal, I think that was the named episode package Deal or something.
Speaker 2: But listen, thank y'all so much.
Speaker 3: Make sure y'all go out and go to a YouTube channel and support their podcast.
Speaker 2: Brand Currency.
Speaker 3: It's available everywhere you listen to your favorite podcast, So make sure that y'all subscribed to their channel and listen. I just want to just thank y'all for the work that y'all been doing. Building business is great, but building the family is even greater. And so ask and I salute you. I'm being intentional about this word family and the importance of family, and so salute to y'all. So may the love you shared today outlived the sea year in, may carry.
Speaker 7: You through the days when words are.
Speaker 2: Few and faith has to do the talking. Y'all give it up for the mcgills, y'all. You do, so, thank y'all.
Speaker 3: Ladarian rusted suddenly into child protective services in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 2: My nephew, black a boy.
Speaker 3: The likelihood have been adopted outside of kinship, slim to none. Rmione, sixteen years old, black a boy with five years in the false care system before I even knew his name. The likelihood have ever been adopted?
Speaker 2: Yep, you guessed it. Slim to none.
Speaker 3: While Ladarian and OURMIONI were trying to survive and barely thrive in an overpopulated and underfunded false care system, I was living my own life, doing well professionally, having been a single father with a daughter who at that point was doing well in college. It was my time to live my life right.
Speaker 5: Wrong.
Speaker 3: I felt unsettled, tireless, agitated. There are just two many of our black children stuck in ambiguity and in the limbo of the Falter care system. In twenty seventeen, I legally adopted my nephew Ladarian. Fast forward to twenty nineteen. I had no ties to this other young king, but I felt God instructed me to adopt them also, and I o bate. Starting over with parenting should have been enough. Right, Working with various foster care and adoption agencies to help bring awareness to the countless young Black kings and the Falster care system should have decreased my agitation.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Joining the board of directors of Advantage of Adoption and organization that helps find permanent adoptive homes for children in false care should have led to some type of resolve.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: No, not at all. None of it felt like I had done enough. I now realized that every one of those experiences was land the fundamental foundation for my life's mission.
Speaker 2: Kingdom Royal, Kingdom.
Speaker 3: Royal would be a lucky to re state of the art home for foster boys. Our first location will be in the Dallas Fortward Metroplex. We will utilize the whole person approach that instills identity, empowers them to advocate for themselves, and enlightens them regarding new perspectives and limitless options that they thought were impossible. Though the young Kings will attend the local public schools that are in proximity the King of Royale, our at home curriculum will broaden their worldview through participating in the arts, attending various cultural events, learning about and engaging in multifaceted discussions about current events and even relevant historical contexts, introducing them to gardening and landscaping, and even caring for our animals on our form and on site stables. We just launched our startup capital campaign with the goal of raising two point eight million dollars. Now why two point eight million dollars?
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: In twenty seventeen, I created a web series in which I performed random acts of kindness for targeting the homeless community. One of the most notable successes was that one of the videos went viral, garnering twenty eight million views.
Speaker 2: However, one of.
Speaker 3: My biggest regrets is that I didn't raise a single dollar to help in implementing a more sustainable plan for the homeless community. So throughout the years, with much remorse, I reflect that I'm not maximizing that moment. I knew if at that time just ten percent of the viewers donated one dollar, we would have raised at least two point eight million dollars that could have really established long term support for the homeless community, or at least started a long term initiative to do so. This is my do over, this is our new beginning. Together, we can attack this at the route by specifically helping our homeless Black boys who are already disproportionately represented in the American fossil care system. I'm the Terra Sarwickfield. I've been nominated for three regional Emmys documenting my work with the homeless as well as my personal adoption journey. Despite those accolades, the greatest award for me is truly providing the infrastructure for a transformed life. Visit Kingdomroyal dot com for more details, Crown a king and make a donation today. I hope you enjoyed this episode of the Dear Future WIFEI Podcast. Remember be lit, live intentionally and transparently, and don't stop loving. Make sure to subscribe to our Dear Future Wife you YouTube channels. We're available on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, and Stitcher.
Speaker 2: You welcome your support. Simply share our podcasts with your friends and family.