Speaker 1: The Frames per Second podcast.
Speaker 2: What's going on in ship Boy, Nick, I'm here with Kenneth Ban, Mike c. Town Yo, and Spike Lou of the On Deck TV show and another week in the books. How you doing?
Speaker 1: What up?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 2: Now tune into the France for second podcast And in this episode, we are doing surprisingly good movies, movies that probably we thought were gonna be shitball but ended up turning to shine. I know we've done a series kind of similar towards it's like, uh, it's not that bad, but this is actually a better version of that. So this is actually movies that are actually.
Speaker 1: Really good, or at least we believe they are.
Speaker 2: So that's what the conversation will be about. I'm gonna kick it off with you, Lou. Do you have a movie on on Deck for that?
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: Me and Mike talked about this last week. I couldn't help my bro. We talked about this a little bit last week. They having a part too.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: They just recently announced spring Breakers. I was not expecting this movie to be what it was. I thought it was gonna be terrible, Like in My Ship. I couldn't get them. And then as I was watching it, I was like, man, this ship is brilliant. It was great from the starting that trend where they doing the crazy shit but got the pop music playing in the background. Like everything about this was good. So shout the Gucci Man spring Breakers. That shout out to Gucci Man.
Speaker 2: He was a producer, but he.
Speaker 1: Was a feeling.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, spring Breakers for me, that's I'm not surprised by that.
Speaker 1: What you got?
Speaker 2: Can uh?
Speaker 1: For me? A movie that that I liked, that I thought was good and I don't think a lot of people like it.
Speaker 2: Cloral film, the first one, the first one or the not. I've seen the first one, the first one that I think that was that took to me like Blair Witch to the next, not like it's in the same category, but like it's similar shooting style to like the next Modernday version. Yeah, yeah, I thought that was really especially the end, it was like, oh Ship. I wasn't surprised that it was good, though. I feel like I remember that being really hyped up. I think going into it it was blind, like you didn't know what the fun was about, but then once people found out what it was.
Speaker 1: I don't think people really liked that movie though, like really I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that. I think the movie is great. Thought I had a blast in the movie theater with that ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe it's just be because be don't like that ship.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the first one.
Speaker 2: It was on the it can't count be Bet doesn't like any found footage films.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't remember the reception being all that well, but I could be misremembering. I'm getting old now, but but yeah, that was. That was one that I have on my list that I think, you know, as a movie that I like, Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 1: What about you, Mike?
Speaker 2: Uh? The first one I that came to mind was uh. And I was trying to pick movies that I thought were gonna be asked, but then they ended up being good or at least not as bad as I thought they were gonna be. As a toy story, four I remember because I ran through all the toy stories and everyone was like, you don't even bother with four. This four is terrible to skip four, And I was like, well, I'm gonna complete this, so I'm gonna finish it.
Speaker 1: Four was the best one to me.
Speaker 2: I don't care about War was Goodtky Pete, No, that's that's true that I don't remember stuff that the cowboy asshole, that was what it was. The second one, it was the third. The third one was the evilst Disney character the Teddy Bear that was real bad. But this one, I thought the themes were really interesting, especially with the with the the baby doll that was trying to get the voice box and then even when she is spoiler alert, even when she got the voice box, when that little girl threw her ass Netflix, and I thought it had a solid ending because I fucking hate Woody and we finally get to the point where wood He's like, I can do this on my own. I don't need anything else. I'm out. I was like, all right, cool, I don't think we need a five. I think four was a good ending. Shut up. That's my pick. I could go with a lot of different directions. I'm going with what I feel like y'all wouldn't appreciate, but Jalen would kung Fu pandam going into that. You thinking this is gonna be just some goofy like nothing memorable, no franchise. It's actually like it's a surprisingly good movie. It gets and it gets better, it gets better, exactly get better than the bro when they get to the sequel where you want about his backstory where his mama that the what was it the crane?
Speaker 1: That ship?
Speaker 2: Bro, that's that's them. Their an emotional journey, right, you go find the other Pandas. Yeah, exactly, Bro. Kung Fu Panda as a franchise alone, I ain't never seen it, but it feels racist. And you called some Asian person kung Fu Panda gods all in trouble. I think I do remember that. So I've never seen the movie because of that. That may have been a tacticality, but nonetheless, Kung Fu Pandas fired. What is it like a Pixar or something. It's dream work. So it's like people that made the Shrek. Oh God, but it's not like Shrek. It's not like it's more Pixar than it is like stra got It. But I also, I think at this point I want to make sure that we talk about like movies that people say worse, Like Weld recommend to us that were they say were surprisingly good, but we didn't think it was. But I had another one as far as it's surprisingly good. I want to say, District nine, why was that surprisingly good? Because I didn't because going into this like that ship was like I did not expect it to be that, but like, you know, it's good. It ship is like it was like somebody did it that he got popular after.
Speaker 3: Who didn't campus the director of it.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm thinking thinking about the actor. No, I was thinking about the person that made But maybe I'm just I might be getting things mixed up. But now I do like District nine. The District nine is like, good lou if you haven't seen that, you should check.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I didn't know that that. I don't know people really liked that movie like that.
Speaker 2: Nah, it grew after like cause it was like a movie that like probably like that first week didn't show that it was a hit, but then like ask people were talking about it more and more. They're like, noah, this movie is actually.
Speaker 3: So I think it just kind of picked up steam and momentum because yeah, I've been seeing that pop up on list and stuff, Like, I don't know people really that movie like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people always say that they want a sequel to it, but I don't think they don't need to the way and it was like perfect, It's sad, It's a sad ending but it's a perfect ending. Oh my god, Yeah, it's really fucking good.
Speaker 1: Many watch it?
Speaker 2: Well, since we nick got too and we're ahead of time, everybody doing another Okay, oh I got to watch? I mean, are we doing to it? We got fifteen home minutes.
Speaker 4: We were talking about rom coms. This is probably the most surprising me good that I've ever seen, in the sense of I just wasn't expecting it to be as in depth and not as fantasy oriented as we were talking about on the other It's called Closer. It stars Julia Roberts, your.
Speaker 2: Tasting stumbling across the ship, the girl like he can't say, the girl made me watch girl put me on this, brother, she did. I wouldn't just do this on the random, y'all know me. You know I'm not gonna just watch this on my own.
Speaker 4: It starts Natalie Portman, Clive Or and Julia Roberts and Jue Long.
Speaker 2: Boy, that's not like the whitest room in the world. Bro, I'm looking this up. I've never heard it is rising movie. I'm surprised you saw it, That's what why what I'm saying, you would be shocked that you like this movie.
Speaker 4: And I promise you if you watched you like, I promise you anybody to watch this movie. I'll like it because it's not traditionally how wrong clan will go and playing totally different with the ending and everything.
Speaker 3: So my shark for me, shark b you watched it, No, you haven't watched the watch I refuse.
Speaker 2: As a media consumer like you refuse to watch that because that makes me like that brings my raiding down.
Speaker 1: Y'all got to watch.
Speaker 3: This is the most over the top ridiculous ship.
Speaker 2: That I'd rather watch panas bro better version of I feel like it's South Park. Yes, it's that kind of humor. That's how it looks. It's sharks flying in a tornado.
Speaker 1: I'm good.
Speaker 2: It's just ridiculous movies, but you guys will be.
Speaker 1: I know they went too far.
Speaker 2: To once they hit roll.
Speaker 3: It's right, it's a phenomenon.
Speaker 2: It is. I've heard this. I heard it's a lot of fun, but I don't find movies like that entertaining. I don't like horror comedies. I've seen a little bit of it because I know one of them has Buddy from now on to one. Oh, and that's the only one that's only a little bit of what I've seen. No, that's Dawson's creaky.
Speaker 1: This show is movie.
Speaker 3: Well, I think this eventually became well received because of how silly it is.
Speaker 2: I'm cool, we're gonna have to skip you cold. I got one for you.
Speaker 1: I ended a banger.
Speaker 2: Well my second one, I mean, this isn't a surprise though, And I'll end on one that I doubt anybody here has seen. But my second one, the Wild Robot, And we already reviewed it. But that is a movie. Wait did we review to review on my own?
Speaker 1: Oh, she's in it Robot.
Speaker 2: She reviewed it, Okay. I was the one that didn't like it. Yes, didn't like rober just be on some ship sometimes, he said, if I make it out as an animator. Nah, no, man, that's a movie that I had no desire to watch. I don't even remember how this whole thing came about, but I walked in thinking there's gonna be some bullshit, and it was amazing and it's a beautiful film. So yeah, that was one that canaban immediately for me. I even and my girl watching, she was like, oh, okay, this is good. She had no desire to see it either. Yeah, that's a hard seale to some people. Yeah, but that's why I always usually leave with Lopedo in it. But that would have told her anything. She don't know who anybody is the last the only one I had that. This is extra caveat bee Keeper, O Keeper, I know what that is. She's in it, Bro, they got is in it beating people.
Speaker 3: Ass.
Speaker 2: Listen, you just gotta watch it. I'm not watching that. It's a love story, you know what I'm saying between Jason Samans a love story, Mike, I'm not watching that, Bro. I don't watch Really. It made Hello bread too. It's good.
Speaker 1: It's good keep movies like that be keeping him work. Have you seen The working Man?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You should not Like The Workingman could have came out streaming. But Bee Keepers a theater movie. Yeah, trust me, I am not trusting you. It's a good You're gonna be going away like damn, this actually was fire. Highly I'm trying to highly doubt that.
Speaker 1: I ain't seen that either.
Speaker 2: You'd be surprised. They got some like some big names in that movie too.
Speaker 1: I won't tell me nothing.
Speaker 2: Felicia Rashad every since she defended Bill Cosby, she ain't had a career, So I'm not worried about her man Ain't nobody or Jayda Pickinson it too head button people?
Speaker 4: What uh? Far Ago by the Coin Brothers. No way, I supposed should have liked this movie, but I thought it was Why.
Speaker 2: It sounds like you're kind of movie, right, Nah, the preview and hired. Yeah, now that I know that, But I'm saying I wouldn't have watched it, and I don't think people know how good it is either. But yeah, that's right up. I didn't know that going it's about the show or the movie. You're talking about the movie.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about the movie.
Speaker 2: What do you mean people don't know how good they made? Like seven Seasons just spit out show of it. The movie is like Harold is one of the best movies.
Speaker 1: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: I just don't think people listen with people. I've never heard anybody say anything bad about Fargo.
Speaker 4: I haven't either, But I didn't expect it to be that good.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 4: I never I didn't know it was critically Oh yeah, yeah, I know that. I just thought it was just random white movie. I was like that I found But yeah.
Speaker 1: Apparently.
Speaker 2: White white movies colonialized white movies I just thought.
Speaker 1: It was way better than I expected it.
Speaker 2: It's great the Coin Brothers. So yeah, I don't know anything about The Corn Brothers and I haven't seen the show, but the movie is great. You should really watch the show. I've been meaning to. I've been meaning to, you know what I'm gonna start because I'm not watching anything right now. I'm gonna start it. Yeah, I've heard it's a good series. I have to. I don't know why I haven't done it yet. My favorite Corn movie is for art No Inside Lewis the folk music Inside Lewis. That's why I didn't get the title right, because finish make Spike quick. Bro's across from him to Inside Lewis Davis, Uh Davis. It starts, it starts Osky Isaac and he actually seen like he actually performs in the movie too. It's like it's a dark comedy.
Speaker 1: Have you watched O Brother wor all?
Speaker 2: Though I saw it on the list of movies that were like celebrating uh an anniversary. I was gonna bring it up because I've never seen it, but Spike said he don't want to do it, so it's one of them, is like, yeah, really, it's everyone seems something.
Speaker 1: I don't know why.
Speaker 2: It's it didn't look good to me at all. Give it the most straight and space, he sigg No, that's a lot of draw what you say there, I'll quit this bitch. It's that bed. Wow, it's okay. Did somebody already just cussing you out? Absolutely? Absolutely last one I got?
Speaker 3: And this this one, you know, for movies that were surprisingly good, this is for This.
Speaker 1: Was for the panel, Spike. This is for the crew. When we reviewed this movie, I wasn't on an island.
Speaker 3: Barbie is a movie that I absolutely adore, and I think the crew were wrong in their takes and their assessment of this movie. It was surprisingly good, and I think they fucked up.
Speaker 2: The door is a strong word, but it was surprisingly better than I thought. I don't think I see it.
Speaker 1: I don't think Spike, you'll love it. I don't think he about.
Speaker 2: He is lying, Spike, he would not like that movie. He walked out the first five minutes. Ain't no way.
Speaker 1: Is great, Spike, and everybody hated.
Speaker 3: That ship bro, And I was like, I don't understand what's going on, man.
Speaker 2: Because they went they went there with every angle you could take it. They went there with it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that's the that's what I got.
Speaker 2: That's nonsense, ahead I got. I don't get to give a third No, you're right, all right. So the last one I have, Uh, this movie surprised me because it looks like it would be trash. But it's a movie called Splinter, and it's where these people get stuck in a gas station and there is like a monster that's trying to get them, this monster with tentacles. But if you just watch a trailer, it looks like it would be trash, like absolute to be nonsense, but it's fucking great, good special effects. The monster is actually really dope, and the story is good. So if you're ever at the house and you're like, man, I feel like I want to watch a horror movie, but I don't know what I want to watch, Please go watch Splinter. I don't know if it's oh you're saying it, it actually is on to me. It's really good. It's not silly, it's not funny. It's just a really well made horror movie. Yeah, it's pretty old. It's on Amazon Prime. It's worth it. Like I said, if you're bored, they do a lot with a very little amount because most of the movie takes place with them being stuck inside of a gas station and the thing trying to get them. But it's really fucking good. Man definitely surprised me. Definitely, do Splinter. You won't get bored, You'll definitely not feel like you wasted your time. What's the little bullshit you got? I just got a couple for myself, And then I want to ask y'all for me, Nick, you might related this one Lego movie. Oh yeah, Lego movie like that. That ship was amazing. Transform was one is when the job brought up last year. Fact that was definitely surprisingly good. That shit was so good the first time my other trailer for into the Spider Verse, I didn't think it was gonna because it was Sony and like it.
Speaker 1: It surprised me.
Speaker 2: What did y'all think about uncut? Jim y'all with it? It was okay? Yeah, absolutely fire.
Speaker 3: It's a good one off one.
Speaker 2: I think I would never retire.
Speaker 1: Watched it.
Speaker 2: Definitely a lot of hell, what see are you going to again? That's when she was, you know, trying to do I think that.
Speaker 4: Entire movie, like, it's just like the pacing of the movie makes it rewatch them again because it's our tendsit is John Wick.
Speaker 2: Like like when the first people first hyping John Wick, I was like, what, I would agree with that? So good, but I would agree with that, and.
Speaker 1: Then some other ones.
Speaker 2: Y'all saw this year Thunderbolts. That was on my list good yeah last year, so it's fantastic forwards on my list. You can keep that off Alien Ronny list. Oh, I thought that was gonna be good. Yeah, it looked good to like, It looked good, It looked good to do. Yeah, did you think Rogue one was gonna be good? Did you think ro one was gonna be good? Okay, but yeah, that's that's basically it. And Top Gun I haven't seen it. I thought it was gonna be really bad, but yeah, it was surprisingly good. But I haven't seen the first Top Girls.
Speaker 4: I had Soul as an honorable mention, so get the out of Jamie Fox joint. I thought that was gonna be terrible.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It was terrible. Bind movies that moves so far. They put it on Disney Plus it was I just doing the pandemic. I thought, I think it just came out. Yeah, I remember watching it at home. It was fire m all right? Where those are our surprisingly good movies. Please let us know what you guys think. FPS podcast is a Reddit thread that's also our handle for I G and Twitter, and we'll catch on the next conversation. We out peace.