Speaker 1: Live from ball Heartbyer and the Crossroads of America.
Speaker 2: It's Tony Katz today.
Speaker 1: I'm not quite sure there's anything left to say about the WNBA.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've got the.
Speaker 1: Telegraph talking about Sophie Cunningham as basketball's new anti trans maga poster girl. What when did she say she was anti trans? Girls should be in girls sports, Girls sports are for girls. That's anti trans. No, no, no it's not.
Speaker 2: And who's still fighting this fight? And why?
Speaker 1: You know what we said here from the beginning was was that Sophie Cunningham of the Indiana a Fever has done absolutely nothing wrong.
Speaker 2: She has said absolutely nothing wrong. She said that.
Speaker 1: Girl sports should be for girls and that children is normal. It's the rational course, Tony Katz, Tony Katz today, so good to be with you. Find everything I do with Tony kats dot com. It was a story from the Guardian. Sophie Cunningham isn't rejecting politics, She's cashing in on them. This whole article ends in the following manner. Sophie Cunningham has been.
Speaker 2: In the league eight years.
Speaker 1: She'll be thirty later this month, five and a half years older than Clark, and for the large majority of those years, she's been a serviceable, unremarkable player who was a top notch three point shooter. She wasn't even who the marketers picked to sell sex to the boys. The role of the glambed up blonde beauty baller belonged to six or four inch Cameron Brink. Cunningham needed the war to get on the map, needing it as much as it needed her, and all it took was a silly fingerpoint and being in opposition as someone black to the aggrieved whites standing up to someone black men standing up for them. Add transphobia to her portfolio, and the result is a star, the latest participant in an old game no more complicated than checkers, but far less interesting. The author of this piece of the guy the name of Howard Bryant. Now that paragraph tells the story of part of the WNBA story, which is the media that covers the WNBA is desperate for that league to stay black and gay. Now I could get in a whole bunch of trouble for saying that. I could have people coming after me for saying that. I just quoted the author who said that's what we do here and put it in the context of.
Speaker 2: White people are just so angry.
Speaker 1: No, white people aren't a group, like black people aren't a group, like gay people.
Speaker 2: Are in a group.
Speaker 1: They have their own minds and their own thoughts, maybe mister Bryan's or anybody else. If they could just stop being bigots for five minutes, we could have ourselves a better conversation. The issue here is that Caitlin Clark is a star. We know the story here. She's simply better than the rest. And even if she isn't actually better than the rest, she has captured the imagination.
Speaker 2: And that's the way it goes.
Speaker 1: You think Taylor Swift is really a super great songwriter and a super great voice, No part of that is true. She has captured the imagination, and that's why it's stadium tour after stadium tour after stadium tour.
Speaker 2: That's what she was able to do. Cook has sold out stadiums.
Speaker 1: Don't ask me captured the imagination For just a moment, I'll give you the most unpopular opinion in the history of mankind, Andrew Dice Clay was never that funny, but it was a really good routine. Captured the imagination, and you wanted to be a part of it. The attitude was fun. Stadium tours, Comics in stadiums. Man, that's the goal. Because every comic wishes they were a rock and roll guy, wishes that they were a rock star.
Speaker 2: We know this to be true.
Speaker 1: Rock Stars want to be actors. Actors want to be comics. Comics want to be rock stars. As I believe that is the circle of life. The WNBA has every opportunity to be better off because of Caitlin Clark. She captured the imagination. She brought people to the sport. She brought the players from commercial flights to flights. She brought them better hotels, she brought them better contracts, she brought them more money.
Speaker 2: She did it.
Speaker 1: It's a lot to put on a twenty four to twenty five year old, but she did it. That's the end. Sophie Cunningham didn't come along to be a star because of Caitlyn Clark. She came along to be a star because the WNBA had no interest in having a star like Caitlyn Clark because she was too white and too straight.
Speaker 2: Now that's a very rude thing to say, but I'm not the one saying it.
Speaker 1: I notice that they say it constantly and consistently, over and over and over and over again, overshadowing this one and overshadowing that one.
Speaker 2: The only reason.
Speaker 1: People like hers because she's white in this and then the media needs a straight white woman as a post.
Speaker 2: She brought the excitement, ride the wave. Call a penalty on her when it's her penalty.
Speaker 1: Call a penalty on Sophie Cunningham when it's Sophie Cunningham's penalty. But because Sophie Cunningham has decided to be protective of Caitlyn Clark, because Sophie Cunningham isn't afraid of a fight, because she's able to utilize social media can make a moment like the meme of the point right, all the pointing, she gets attacked and vilified, and when playing the Minnesota Lynks, she gets elbowed in the face and she gets called for the penalty. Let me say it again for the people in cheap seats. She got elbowed in the face and she got called for the penalty. She didn't have the ball. The player with the ball elbowed her in the face, and Sophie Cunningham got called for the penalty. And then she had the audacity, the audacity to say that girls sports should be for girls, and that was it, That was it, game over. She is a bigot, and she is terrible, and she's maga and all the rest of the nonsense.
Speaker 2: The hate machine went full throttle.
Speaker 1: By the way, not only did I believe the Guardian referred to her as anti trans, they referred to her as anti black. The media that covers the NBA is amongst the most bigoted and the most terrible out there.
Speaker 2: They really are awful, positively awful. But what is worse.
Speaker 1: Possibly are the coaches, the coaches who have put them in a position of being in favor of men in their sport.
Speaker 2: Now, a lot of people have.
Speaker 1: Been discussing what happens when the WNBA allows this, When the WNBA allows men in because they identify as this, that or the other, that's going to be the end. That's going to be the end of the WNBA. By the way, did I call it a penalty and not a foul, my mistake. I apologize for that. I was looking that the US men's soccer team did just sign Pochettino to a long term contract through twenty thirty, and maybe that's why I was doing it.
Speaker 2: It just came up foul, not penalty. My apologies.
Speaker 1: Now, coach after coach after coach got asked what they think about Sophie Cunningham standing up for girls in girl sports, which is a normal position.
Speaker 2: She didn't say a single thing that's political.
Speaker 1: The people who say she says something political are the people who are broken. They are fools, and they are a danger to themselves and others. Why do I say such a thing, Because if you can believe that girls sports are not for girls, you'll believe anything. If girls sports are not for girls, there are no girls sports.
Speaker 2: The end.
Speaker 1: It is such a factual statement, such a clear statement, such an understandable statement. It can't be denied. Only the irrational can deny it. And those people are irrational, and they should be mocked. People who are going through this mental illness, I think should be shown respect and love people who want to push mental illness on others or get you to buy into that somebody else is meant to own.
Speaker 2: This means you have to change the way you live.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those people, those people, they need to be pushed aside, mocked them, ridicule to s Fine, So we get back to the coaches, because one by one they're asked, what do you think about what Sophie Cunningham said?
Speaker 2: They can't figure out how to be rational.
Speaker 1: I have got the coach of the Minnesota Links, quite literally, wearing a she's got a shirt on, and what does the shirt say? The shirt says trans kids belong?
Speaker 2: What does that even mean?
Speaker 1: What possibly could that mean? Trans kids belong belong? What girls belong in girls' sports? Boys who say they're girls do not your shirt? Trans kids belong is nothing more than some kind of irrational sloganeering. It's virtue signaling. Look at me, I'm nice, Look at me I care. You don't care. You sure as hell don't care about kids. You don't care about girls. And that's the story time and again into the WNBA and what has come.
Speaker 2: Out of this. It isn't about Caitly Clark. I'm sorry. It isn't about Sophie Cunningham or Caitlyn Clark.
Speaker 1: It's about the media that covers the WNBA and the coaches within the WNBA who.
Speaker 2: Don't care about women. They are bigots and they are proud of it.
Speaker 1: And they are desperate to see women be demoralized and moved out.
Speaker 2: This is the coach of the Golden State Valkyries.
Speaker 1: Her name is Natalie Nikoss, and she is asked a basic question.
Speaker 3: Ever again in the regular season, but coming out of the break, one of the big news stories has been Sophie Cunningham and the protest for her and protests against her. And you know, they had a national televised game today and Cheryl, you know, wore a shirt and it's just a conversation. I'm wondering, just what do you think about it? Do you do you think that's good for the league? Does it does it detract from the basketball?
Speaker 2: Is it? Is it just noise?
Speaker 3: I'm just wondering what your opinion is.
Speaker 4: I think thank you for that question.
Speaker 2: I think just in terms of.
Speaker 4: How I'm seeing it is if I could answer it was like for me, sports, sports is about belonging.
Speaker 2: It's about inclusivity.
Speaker 4: It's about allowing everyone to be their authentic self. You know, I'm big on that, just because I have been criticized for my for my ethnicity. I've been in those you shouldn't belong here many times, and for me, I don't want that space, especially Golden State, to ever feel like that.
Speaker 1: And that is a broken league and a broken coach. I would tell her directly what an absolutely surreal argument sports is about belonging. I didn't say that somebody who thought they were a woman couldn't play basketball. Go play basketball. You just can't play organize against other women. If you want to play in a league that does that, go do that. But if you want to tell women they have to take a back seat to men, first of all, I don't know what kind of feminism that is.
Speaker 2: Secondly, my gosh, that's bigoted. That's ugly.
Speaker 1: Since your ideology comes before your humanity, you lost all sense of rationality.
Speaker 2: You can't even stand up for you. Look at me.
Speaker 1: They came after me because of my ethnicity. I don't even know what that's supposed to me. And I wasn't tall enough, this and that. And now you're saying that other girls should have to sit down because well they're girls. You're saying to me, Tony, this conversation isn't making sense. And I'll say to you, trying to make sense of the left's argument is madness. Let me give you the baseline of all of their arguments. They were told that if they don't accept the fact that men can be women, they will be excommunicated, and they simply can't get excommunicated, so they have no way of explaining how it is they really feel. They just simply do what they are told so they get to stay in the fold.
Speaker 2: The WNBA is telling you on every level, we are a league for.
Speaker 1: Black women and gay women, and that's it, and that if anything should come around questioning that, we will go to further and further extremes to prove it, and we will give every nonsense answer, literally no sense, to try and get out of the conversation. Sports is about belonging. Well, sometimes the guy who isn't good enough doesn't make the team. He wants to belong but he doesn't make the team. I thought it was about winning, so I thought a lot of it was about Sophie Cunningham said absolutely nothing wrong. But the WNBA's response is outrageously wrong.
Speaker 2: Maybe this is what we need, Maybe this is what we need. Maybe what we need.
Speaker 1: Is for them to be able to out themselves completely so we know what it is we're dealing with.
Speaker 2: Now, what does it mean for the WNBA. I don't know, because it doesn't look to me like the NBA is ever going to change the league.
Speaker 1: It doesn't look like they're going to do anything except continue this welfare project. Our job, I think, is to ask ourselves what this is talking to or doing to us via culture, and how do we make changes from there, Because right now they're a little girls saying thank you, Sophie Cunningham for standing up for us, and then they are the coaches saying, how dare you stand up for girls?
Speaker 2: I have a couple of theories of where this can go. I'll get into those in the days ahead. Keep it here. I'm Tony Katz, and this is Tony Katz today.