Speaker 1: Live from Vaal Hartbeiner and the Crossroads of America.
Speaker 2: It's Tony Katz today.
Speaker 1: So what is the obligation of the athlete to say, well anything when it comes to men and women's sports, or what's going on around the world, or what's happening domestically. Is there some type of obligation? I don't believe that there is. What I believe is that if they are going to say something, they have to be able to back it up. But when something is said so normal, like Sophie Cunningham of the Indiana Fever saying girls' sports are for girls, how could that begin to be political? And to make it political is part of this idea of culture war. And if indeed this is a culture war, not having men and women's sports, not having boys and girls sports, well I'm fine with that, and it's a war we have to win. That's Tony Kats today. Good to be with you. Jennifer say joins us right now. She is the CEO and coppo di tutti coppo. Over at xx x Y Athletics xx dash xy athletics dot com you.
Speaker 2: Can buy all your gear.
Speaker 1: There a long history in sports as a national champion gymnast and you're traveling around you have become your own level of star in this space. Along with selling a quality product. You've taken on this culture war head on. But I need to take a step back to make sure people understand where you come from, which is this world of gymnastics. You were part of the nineteen eighty six national team or a part of that group that won in my beloved Indianapolis, Indiana, and you were one of the people who worked with the Indianapolis Star talking about the horror show that was the physician Larry Nasser who is now in jail for his sexual abuse. Is guess what brings you to xxxy or is this what brings you to the idea of if we're not front and center on these issues now, we're going to deal with massive, dangerous ramifications later.
Speaker 3: That is a great question. Yeah, you're right. I was a national team member gymnasts throughout the eighties, eight time national team member, eighty six national champion in Indianapolis. I was also the first whistleblower about abuse in sports and gymnastics in particular. That was two thousand and eight when I wrote my first book called Chalked Up that was ten years before Nasser went to prison for life. As you might imagine, the US Olympic Committee and the US Olympic Movement and gymnasts, etc. They were not ready for that message. I spoke about the national team coach who I traveled around the world with in that book being a known pedophile. That did not go particularly well for me. I was pretty much ousted from that community, but I knew I needed to say it because I didn't want another little girl to go through what I had. And I did work with the Indie Star. They did such amazing work reporting on, you know, the NASA case, And I think what's important to remember about that case is NASA has not won bad apple. That sport is rotten to the core. He was able to abuse for thirty years because the governing body knew and looked the other way and actually destroyed evidence. So you know, I've been working a heart a long time to try to clean that sport up. I believe young athletes deserve to train with dignity and safety in striving to achieve their dreams. So you know, I've been at this for a while in terms of trying to protect female athletes. So yes, They're absolutely related, these two issues, and it's why I care so much about protecting women's sports. That said, I also have a kind of separate, long term corporate career as a brand builder. I worked at Levi's for twenty three years. I was a chief marketing officer for eight and the brand president for two and so I know how brands can influence the culture. And we lost the culture on this one. You slowly but surely, there was a long march to steal our language and you know, co op the culture with these terrible ideas that men can be women if they just say that they are. I want to fight this battle on cultural grounds, not legal, not political. It's the culture we need to win back, and I believe a brand can really help do that with our content, with our product. You know, I want to make it cool to say women men can't become women. I want to make it cool to say these totally normal things like women deserve their own sports and spaces. So you know, that's why we're in this game. But we do make as you mentioned, you know, hot, world class premium athletic gear. You don't need to buy some brands that throw women under the bus, like Nike you can buy from us, and we're just so thrilled to be part of this. And you know Sophie has Sophie Cunningham has thrown this issue into the center of culture.
Speaker 2: I do, but I want to bring it back a little bit.
Speaker 1: Talking to Jennifer Say, the CEO, a founder of xx dash x y Athletics xx dash x y athletics dot com.
Speaker 2: You said a lot.
Speaker 1: There, including utilizing the term long march, which I think was very, very purposeful in this way the abuse of these young girls in regarding gymnastics and the Larry Nasser story, if you haven't read it, it's horrifying stuff. You are still making these allegations about US gymnastics today. Your book Chalked Up, which you can find at Amazon dot com. You can go get that and read your accounts, just so we're clear, just so we can put the pin on that and then move on. In your view, that level of abuse, Larry Nasser level of abuse still going on.
Speaker 3: Okay, let me first of all, if you want to know about the whole Larry Nauncer story, you can watch athlete A. It's a movie on Netflix that I produced. It's a documentary. It won an Emmy back in twenty twenty. You the whole story, and it connects his crimes to the broader culture of abuse. Do I want to tell you that that level of abuse is happening throughout the sport. I mean that would be extreme. He abused over five hundred athletes over the course of thirty years under the guise of medical treatment. But abuse of coaches, and I want to just say it's physical, emotional and sexual abuse is rampant in the sport of gymnastics. These are very young girls and they are very vulnerable. And because it's an individual sport, that one on one coaching dynamic is more intense, I think than in a team sport, and it just invites bad actors. I will say that it invites bad actors. Do I think it's as bad as it was in the eighties when I trained. I hope it's better. I don't know. I'm not inside the sport. People are aware, parents are aware, safe sport exists, there is a mechanism to report abuse. But I will tell you this safe sport is backed up for four years with reports of abuse. They don't even take reports of emotional and physical abuse because they're still backed up on sexual abuse claims. So we need to change the culture in that sport and in the Olympic movement overall. And I think we're on the way, but I don't think it is fixed.
Speaker 1: Now talking to Jennifer Say, the founder of xxxy Athletics xx dash xyathletics dot com, this brings us now into the conversation about Sophie Cunningham, who said something, as I've said on the show numerous times, very normal girls sports are for girls.
Speaker 2: It was so normal. I found it to be unremarkable.
Speaker 1: And I stated at the time, and I have a since then why anybody would make this political, Whether you want to laud and glorify her as some kind of right wing icon, or whether you want to go at her an attacker because you're on the political left.
Speaker 2: No part of this makes sense. The rational response is.
Speaker 1: That girls are not boys, boys are not girls, and girl sports belong to girls. This has of course been seen as somehow we for making that rational points are the biggots. You've got the owner of the Seattle Storm yelling at two girls in the crowd. You've got the coach of the Minnesota Links wearing a shirt that says protect trans kids. You have the coach of the Golden State Valkyries who wants to go out there and say sports are about belonging as opposed to the highest level of competition. Why is it that women seem to be very focused on not thinking that women deserve to be known as women.
Speaker 3: Okay, there's a lot in there. I want to back up for one shore and be clear. Sophie was asked a question in an interview that happened back in February. That ESPN interview happened months ago. She was directly asked a question. She didn't go in there, you know, ready to blow the doors off this thing and put herself at the center of this controversy. So everybody calling her Maga Barbie and all this crazy stuff. It's ridiculous. She answered a question in a very simple and pointed way, and she was very clear to your point in your opener about what she believes, and she said girls. She cares about protecting girls sports and spaces.
Speaker 2: That was it.
Speaker 3: She put the attention back on the girls when the cultural attention has been on the boys who think they are girls. Thank you for that, Sophie. I would say I agree with you. That was not remarkable. What was remarkable was just last week when she was reasked the question after that ESPN interview was published, and she said, I said what I said. She did not back it up. She did not bend to any That was the remarkable part. That was the line in the sand, because a year ago, I'm not sure she would have stood around. I don't want to speak for Sophie, but I'll just tell you every we see it all the time, right, somebody says something and then they back it up. When challenged, they bend, deny. She didn't do it. She stood strong, Her spine is straight. Bless her. She is, you know, blowing the doors up this thing. So that's the first thing. And I agree with you. This whole like mumbo jump from all these coaches about inclusivity and sports. It's such hogwash. I was a competitive aout. Sports are about striving and competition and striving for excellence and yes winning. In professional women's basketball, less than one percent of college basketball players make the WNBA. That's exclusive. Sports are about exclusivity. If you want inclusivity, go play pickleball at the Rack Center. That's inclusive. Not women's professional basketball. It's so dumb when sports have all kinds of categories. They have age categories, weight classes. In boxing, no one's saying that heavyweights should be able to box against the welterweight. It's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. But clearly they're talking points went out and that's what they're going with. It's just ridiculous. As far as why women are our own worst enemy here, I don't know. They are the ones the left has made this political. We are speaking common sense. Men cannot become women, and women deserve their own sports and spaces. It's so simple. I will say it all day long, over and over again. Their position makes zero sense. But they are so loyal and committed to the Democrat Party talking points that they will pronounce themselves more on every day in saying I'm not educated enough. One of the coaches said that to talk on this issue, they will beclown themselves every day to stay loyal to the Democratic Party talking points on this, and it's embarrassing, and every passing day more people abandoned that position. Fewer and fewer people are afraid to stand up and say, yeah, this is ridiculous. Not my daughter's sport.
Speaker 1: Lets let's say that that's true. I certainly hope you're right about that, Jennifer. But in the case of the WNBA, which has become the hot button point, I mean, this is happening in tennis, but tennis has said we don't let men in the sport, and there are women in tennis saying I agree. It's certainly Martina ne Rachlova has been very outspoken on this subject, and.
Speaker 2: I think, for the most part, very very well.
Speaker 1: But the WNBA has a commissioner, Kathy Andnglbrick, who has said nothing. It has a coach in the Minnesota Lynks who wears that shirt protect trans kids, who as a coach in the Golden State Valkyries who says it's about a belonging and look at what they said about me because of my race, and she brought race into the subject.
Speaker 2: You have the coach of the Indiana.
Speaker 1: Fever, Stephanie White, who wants to not just heim and haw about it, act like she doesn't know enough about it, engage the idea of I need to get more educated. So as a league, the WNBA has created this problem seemingly for themselves, where they have forgotten that the W stands for women.
Speaker 2: What is your messaging?
Speaker 3: Both said to them, Well, I would just tell you the culture is moving. We have long heard that eighty percent of Americans agree on this common sense issue that women's sports are for women, but the vast majority have been silent. I know this very well. I hear from them all the time. They're afraid to speak out. They're afraid to lose their job, they're afraid to be called names. They're afraid their kids won't have friends at school. But that's changing. That culture shift is happening in real time. What I will tell you is the institutions, they're far behind. The mainstream media is far behind. Their headlines don't match where the culture is and where the people are. The universities, the institutions, the teams, the leagues like the WNBA, but they are so out of touch with real people that they are just making a mockery at themselves every day. But this is why it's going to take a while. It took ten or fifteen years for us to get to this ridiculous place. We're not going to unwind it with one WNBA season. But the more people stand up, I'll tell you I was in Minneapolis at the last game and against the Links, the fever. Against the Links, we had a rally to celebrate Sophie outside the stadium and we outnumbered the clowns on the other side by at least ten to one. That wouldn't have happened a year ago. And in the stadium, you're right about the broadcast. The coach for the Links wore the T shirt about trans kids belonging, and there were lots of people in the stadium that had similar teas on what was happening in the stadium was not reflective the broadcast ESPN Lockdown, and they decided to make this a pro trans game. The only people they showed in the audience had those T shirts on. I was sitting on the second row on the court with Riley Gaines. We had xxxy T shirts on. The cameras kept finding us and they would not show us in the broadcaster on the jumbo tron. We met people on in the stadium, stopped us as for hugs and photos and autographs. They bought us drinks, they bought us food, they thanked us. So the story that ESPN wants to tell is not the story of what was happening on the ground. So this is the last gasp of a dying movement and the institutions that are so out of touch with people. But they're going to lose. They're going to lose this battle because we're right and we're speaking the truth and we're standing up for girls.
Speaker 1: And you're you're I mean, I'm gonna call it a tour, but you're hitting more of these WNB games. You're coming to my beloved Indianapolis to see the fever. I'm only hoping we were able to grab a cigar when you're here. But is this about putting more pressure on on them? Is this about bringing more light? Is this just marketing for xxtash xy athletics dot com.
Speaker 3: This is about celebrating Sophie and celebrating Honillie Wilson, the young girl who was at the Seattle game who got spit on and screamed at by the co owner of the Seattle Storm. This is about letting them know that they have support for those of us that have been apt As a while it has felt very lonely. You would not believe, you probably would believe the harassment and threats that we receive every single day. And I want Sophie's obviously getting no support from the league, from her teammates, I want her to know that she's supported. We go in peace and we go in love. We bring balloons, we give out T shirts, we have fun. We get shouted down by insane lunatics who call us terrible, terrible names, which I won't mention because you can't save them on the radio. We just want her to know she's supported. That's really, that's it, and we want people to know it's normal to support her and to say women's sports are for women.
Speaker 1: I'm not one hundred percent sure where all her teammates are. I don't necessarily need them to make a statement every which way but loose. But your support is something that is seen very very clearly. Jennifer say s e y is how you expel that. Xx dash x Yathletics dot Com. I look forward to seeing you when you are in Indianapolis. I appreciate you taking the time to be with the show more to get to keep it here.
Speaker 2: I'm Tony Katz, and this is Tony Katz today.