Speaker 1: Why from ball Hartland and the Crossroads of America.
Speaker 2: It's Tony Katz today. So the only question is who controls the strait? Well, I guess maybe the only question is are we actually still at war with Iran?
Speaker 1: If nothing is happening?
Speaker 2: Well, maybe the only question is what is actually happening to begin with?
Speaker 1: Who's doing what? When we're why?
Speaker 2: And how can we get at least a straight and honest answer. Not what I want, not maybe what you want, and we could possibly be in conflicts.
Speaker 1: I love you either way, But what is actually happening? What is the goal?
Speaker 2: What is the objective of the United States, of the Iranians of the Middle East? And how do we get what we want? And does that mean somebody else has to get what they want? Tony Katz, Tony Katz today, Good to be with you. Stephen Yates joins us right now. You know his work over there at the Heritage Foundation. Now his focus is China and China policy and China relations. But because of that he has had a lifetime of understanding world relationships and how this geopolitics works, including from his time in the George Bush White House with Vice President Cheney. Let's break it down a little bit, Sir. I hear from President Trump that we control the Strait of ourmus one hundred percent, There's no question about it.
Speaker 1: I hear from the.
Speaker 2: Iranians or whomever it is speaking for the Iranians that they control the strait one hundred percent. I have got very little in terms of tankers going through the strait, and I have got oil that has been back above eighty dollars in some places, eighty five dollars a barrel.
Speaker 1: Stephen Yates, who controls what well Tony?
Speaker 3: I think we've got a sort of perfect muddle to a degree, both sides telling the truth, especially from their point of view. And so the imperfect picture that we can put together is that there's more shipping traffic transiting the Strait of Hormouse and oil and natural gas coming and going from the non Iran destinations than is being accounted for by private trackers. That's partly due to signals being turned off on those vessels for security purposes and being escorted by the US military, and so the US government sources have higher numbers of the ships coming and going. In fact, over the last weekend, talking about at numbers that pre date the war and those the drop off that has held for several several months. So on the one hand, that's true. Militarily, we definitely have control of the Strait, and we definitely have Iran pinned in. On the other hand, they are still completely capable of engaging in economic terrorism. And what I mean by that is all it takes is one off threats here or there, occasional attacks here or there, and it completely shapes the behavior of your adversary. Those adversary could be the insurance companies that jack rates so that ships don't want to move. That adversary could be regional actors that recoil and try to pressure the administration to engage in concessions and endless negotiations that by time for recovery. But this is the textbook definition of terrorism. You use the threat and reality of occasional force in order to get an outsized political, economic, or other strategic reaction out of your targets. And that's what leads to this stalemate.
Speaker 2: Let's take a step back in something you said, because I don't think people understand and I don't claim this is my area of expertise. We have more tankers that are going through because they're turning off the trackers walk me through how that works well.
Speaker 3: For though, there are apps that you can go to on the internet, and there are certainly high priced commercial services that will give you very very clear data. And that's when everyone's sort of GPS signal is on, and then they can sort of like air traffic control, can see where every flying object is or seafaring object is. In this case, we're looking at the seafaring objects, and for both safety and the economics of scale of tracking things, they will have signals that you can be able to detect where these lumbering objects are that go on the sea. They're weighed down so heavily. I don't even understand the physics of how they float, much less move, but as they go they have signals on. So for security purposes of like going stealth, if you're in the air, you have all things turned off, and that's dangerous if you are at risk of bumping into things. But if you're being escorted by a military force, then you have less of that safety concern. So those international services are not in fact able to track where all of these vessels are when they are cloaked, or to have their signals turned off, and so some things are moving. Do I believe that they are moving at pre war levels? That's hard to fathom. You think that more of that would be seen and you would see more of that reflected in the markets. At the same time, as you noted the price of oil being in the eighties, that's way down from the one hundred plus of the panic rates. It's not down to sort of the fifty to seventy range that was sort of pre war, but it's ticklishly close to that, which tells me some things are moving. Whether it's the diverted fuels or whether it's the escorted ships. Some things are moving. So we're not seeing the picture, which fails the first rule of politics in my book, which I learned from TV. So it has to be true. It's not enough to do good. You have to be seen doing good. And it's hard for the war everyday Americans and even market analysts to see the good that's happening.
Speaker 2: You know how heavy that statement is, right, because you're talking perception versus reality. And this is where people who want to be all Trump all the time and people who want to be all against Trump all the time fail in the conversation talking to Stephen Yates to the Heritage Foundation. Because perception is reality. You're not wrong when you discuss where the oil prices are. We're not at one hundred and ten dollars a barrel, but when you tell me oil's got to be at seventy five dollars a barrel in order to be like, hey, look how oil prices are down. Gas prices are down. Everything's good, and we're at eighty five dollars a barrel. And we saw it go up because Iran is saying to the United States, forget you, We're going to do whatever we want.
Speaker 1: That is seen.
Speaker 2: That puts the president in a position I view of weakness, of perceived weakness. Never mind the idea of this back and forth. We control the straight, No, we control the straight. But go back again for a moment. You talk about it in insurance rates, and you talk about escorts. On the idea of escorts. This is I think where a lot of people have been. How is it possible that we don't have a series of destroyers just lined up on both sides of the strait. How have we not gotten the Saudis and others to line up some forces on both sides of the strait, and we just make sure that nothing gets through. We make sure that the tankers get through, that the Iranians can't do nothing. They're finished, they're complete. We do it by force. So when you talk about escort, this is what.
Speaker 1: People are asking, how is this not happening already?
Speaker 3: And mass It's a painfully clear and appropriate question for which I don't have a good answer, because it's exactly what I would have done months ago, and I think we have the capability to do so. I think we have been clear that our governing ethos is to press the free riders of the world that you are going to have skin in the game. You are going to put fuel in the tank. You are going to this. We are helping you, and you are going to pay for us helping you. And part of that is you're going to share some of the risk. We're not going to stand out here as the only targets. You're going to stand shoulder to shoulder in doing something that ensures freedom of navigation for you to thrive and your people to be safe. That is the way I understood that Trump Great Realignment was meant to be. It's something I am million percent agree with and strongly support. I think we have done some of those things, but we aren't doing enough of those things, and we aren't being seen doing enough of those things, and that, I think is the challenge. We have to move in that direction for this to be sustained. And I think that there is a way to not just spin a win, but for there to be a real transformation that people can be proud of and can hold and is worth it. But we aren't doing enough of what you just said that I completely agree with. Things should have been done long ago.
Speaker 2: Talking to Stephen Yates the Heritage Foundation Heritage dot org. His focus is China policy, but his history is that of full geopolitics in the region, whether it be the Far East or the Middle East. I am somebody who believes that we should have taken out the regime. And when this first took place back in February, you were the first person I was texting with.
Speaker 1: You were the person I was reaching out to. I was preparing for a live.
Speaker 2: Event, and I was trying to get data from you to understand exactly what it was that I was seeing here. And I certainly believe then that taking out the regime is I think job number one. And when I talk about how the president is viewed here, and I know that the president does not like to be viewed as weak at any level in any.
Speaker 1: Place, there is a view here that he is.
Speaker 2: Because you can only talk about Iran can't get a nuclear weapons so much. In the end, you have to end the regime that is trying to achieve this goal, and they may still be working at it if everything's possible. You know, right now, you can't say they can't have a nuclear weapon then leave and all of a sudden a centrifuge starts spinning up. Legacy is shattered. And this brought up a conversation that I had with Leland Vidder of News Nation about the idea of will the IRGC the Iranians have the will to hold out and the United States doesn't have the will. I don't believe that in Toto, because I haven't seen whether or not the president will or won't. All I know is he's not doing the bombings, but he's still around, and he's still there, keeping to an extent his powder dry and waiting to see what happens. Is this a willpower fight? Is this about political wills? Is this about whether or not the president has the stomach for this, whether this.
Speaker 1: Is really in his desire in his wheelhouse.
Speaker 2: Where do you think the real battle is in terms of ideology between the GC and where President Trump is well.
Speaker 3: I think first there's a caveat for how to even talk about this. I think we have to be careful to fall into the traps of all or nothing kinds of lenses, because it's just not the way the world is. It's not the way warfare is, and it's not the way this mix of forces and pressures and other kinds of activities is going to play out. The war is always a bit about will and capability, and sometimes patients and patients can often be mistaken for weakness. It can be weakness, it can be appeasement. But it depends on what the ultimate aim is and are there measurable results in a reasonable period of time, And what is reasonable is subjective. That comes down to politics, domestic and international. So what I mean by all this gobbledegook I just sort of spewed out here is that the president has some very powerful things in place that we're not in place for the decade plus from the Bogus Iran deal to the present, we have maximum financial pressure in place. We've gone after bank accounts that matter in very serious, real and impactful ways. We have a blockade in place that has having a real and meaningful impact on the coffers of the theocratic regime in Tehran, and there is no indication any of that is coming off anytime soon. And so that form of maximum pressure is greater than has ever been applied to this regime in the near half century of its existence. And there is there resolve to keep it in place indefinitely if necessary, to starve the regime of the resources and wait for them to be cannibalized by their people or among the power centers of themselves. That is not the timeline that we were led to believe at the beginning of this operation. But it is not appeasement, it is not weakness, it is not failure. It's just different and longer, and ultimately it might be what works. It isn't what I would have chosen in terms of the option set going forward. But it is not the sort of all or nothing kind of fork in the road that we instinctively go to when thinking about these things. There is more than one way to change this regime. There's more than one timeline on which to change this regime. The question is can we hold allies, can we hold markets, can we hold our domestic politics? Do we have the resolve and the strategy to do those things to allow this longer, more patient path to work.
Speaker 2: And I would only argue that one of the things that the administration didn't do and should have done was explained why in much greater detail, made the full on appeal to America and said let's be in this together. But that is a political consideration I agree with, and I just they didn't do this because the president believes I'm doing this and everyone's gonna go with me, and it'll get explained.
Speaker 1: As we go.
Speaker 2: And that's just not how this works. But to the idea of the political cans. Talking to Stephen Yates to the Heritage Foundation this story over at Fox News that you have Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey considering a pact to work together. Now, I have argued that the one thing that the president has done is he's rethought Middle East policy. He has forced the Middle East to rethink Middle East policy.
Speaker 1: Everything is now different.
Speaker 2: The Abraham Accords a huge part of this and getting rid of this regime. Getting rid of this Iranian threat allows the Middle East to have a much more stable future. But if Turkey, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia are getting together, you could argue this is about trade and creating a world without an Iranian regime, or this is about creating a new power base to be able to deal with the fact that the United States might be the hegemonic power now in the Middle East once the Iranian regime is gone.
Speaker 1: What is your take on this alleged relationship.
Speaker 3: Well, Tony, if you'll allow a shameless plug, I encourage people to listen to the latest Nation States with Yates and talks to about how the map of the Middle East was rewritten. We go into some of the deeper things that are behind the question. I think it's an important question. We get at this, specifically this coalition Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Pakistan. Part of this is the peril of when you empower intermediaries to operate on your behalf, to try to come to what might be priest terms, whatever the status quo, after major military operations are over, and we always have to be careful. It's one thing to allow the good offices to convene conversations that otherwise wouldn't happen. But when you allow the intermediaries to drag your strategy, then I think you're putting a little bit of American strategy and interests at risk. And I think the administration is pulled back some from whether it was Oman, Pakistan or others. But they've been empowered and emboldened in some ways in recent months in ways they haven't for a long time. And of course American interests aren't going to be the same as Saudi Arabian interests, but Saudi has a big footprint in the Middle East, and we have to continue to kind of mind that garden, I think a longer term and it's better than putting our bets on the theocratic empire coming out of Tehran if that isn't stopped in the near future. So there is this mix. I don't like this alternative out there that they're floating. I think it is not a happy or friendly signal to Washington, which has reached out in good faith with all three of these governments, yes in the not too distant past, and has done some strategic things that very much benefit each of them, and to sort of float this idea that they are somehow the condominium that's going to shape the future of the Middle East that gets away from the Abraham Accords architecture and reason for being. And so I think some work needs to be, you know, to encourage some of these to put their horses back in the stable a little bit and let's finish what's right in front of us. And until that is resolved, then there's there's no point in you talking about these things. And we'd have to pull back on some of the friendly things we've offered to you if you're proving not to be helpful into doing something that matters to the United States.
Speaker 2: And I do absolutely believe that when we talk about a deal that has to be made, the deal doesn't have to be made with a RAN, It has to be made with Saudi Arabia, Bakra and the UAE that they are going to be active participants in bringing an end to this regime and remembering who their friends are, they got to get some skin in the game. This is like the United States discussing how NATO nations have to pay for their own security against the Russians. Stephen Yates find them at Heritage Dot Oregon, of course, Nation States with the Yates. The podcast available on your favorite podcast platform. Good to see us, sir, we'll talk soon. Keep it here. This is Tony Katz today. I thought this was some of the best audio of the day. It's Rocanna, the progressive from California, the congressman who backed Nazi Graham Platners actual abuser, alleged Graham Platter and.
Speaker 1: Now he's coming out to say, you know, I didn't see the signs. You also endorsed Graham Planter, another left candidate who flamed out in the end, to say the least amid scandals. What did you learn from that experience?
Speaker 4: I should have listened to my wife. She's almost never made me do an interview. She said, you make it clear on the record that I was opposed to you endorsing him, But on a deeper level, there were signs of toxicity that other groups had picked up and I needed to be more sensitive to it.
Speaker 3: I said, I got that call wrong.
Speaker 4: I made a mistake, and it means being more reflective.
Speaker 1: Is that what it means?
Speaker 2: You made a mistake and you learned, and now everything is fine and dandy. Come now, oh stop it. No one's buying that this guy was your ideological kin folk, and you didn't care what he did as long as you won the Senate and got power. That's the only thing that mattered. Congressman. Sometimes we get things wrong. I agree, and I could be a guy of total grace and say, you know what, I'm so glad you finally see this and understand that that's great.
Speaker 1: You're late to the party, but I'm glad that you're here. No, no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: The kind of party you wanted to have was super weird. It was like a degree or two away from a Sean Diddy Combs freak cough. You and I party different. My friend and I have no interest in partying with you.
Speaker 1: You wanted the bad guy.
Speaker 2: That's the story. This is Tony Katz today. What is the effects of this economy on small business? GDP one point five percent? But we had doctor Matt Will, the economist at the University of Indianapolis, say that number is very misleading because government's spending was down. In government spending is part of GDP, It's a false number. The underneath is a far far better look. We have inflation that you look at. It was point one for the month. My gosh, that's terrific and wonderful, but still three point four percent overall. That doesn't get us to the target rate of the FED. Tony, Kat's good to be with you. The Small Business Administrator, Kelly Leffler joins.
Speaker 1: Me right now.
Speaker 2: She is actually the administrator of the Small Business Administration.
Speaker 1: We need a better name for that. Man, We really and truly do.
Speaker 2: Visiting the Indiana State Fair today with Senator Todd Young, make sure he holds the umbrella for you, right, He's got to do that like a marine holding umbrella for Barack Obama. He's got to call you wherever you go. Man, make sure that happens.
Speaker 5: Well, good morning, Tony, and I'll just throw on a baseball hat. We'll be good to go walking around that fair.
Speaker 1: I mean it's Indianapolis Indians Day. Will we will get you one. That is an easy one.
Speaker 6: Love that.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 6: Just don't tell my brave friends back home.
Speaker 1: No, no, we don't tell Atlanta people anything. That's part of our code here. Let us let us start where we start, which is.
Speaker 2: How is small business doing in the overall sense in an economy that has some solid fundamentals A tremendous amount of AI investing. Things still do move along, but it isn't as easy as people want it to be.
Speaker 5: Well, Tony, I am glad you asked, because small business is in growth mode, and you mentioned some economic data at the top, and look, the data does point to tremendous growth, but I also get to see it on.
Speaker 1: The ground every day.
Speaker 5: So when you hear that we have all time record business formation in America every single month of twenty twenty six new businesses starting at a clip of about a half million.
Speaker 6: New businesses, I can back that up on the.
Speaker 5: Ground and say factories or expanding or adding jobs and manufacturing and connstruction. And that's because we have certainty now around working family tax cuts, one.
Speaker 6: Hundred percent accelerated expensing. So the impetus to build in.
Speaker 5: This country is already driving our manufacturing data.
Speaker 3: Through the roof.
Speaker 5: We have all time record exports in America.
Speaker 6: Because President Trump said We're going to.
Speaker 5: Have fair trade, not free trade, and so I'm going to be visiting manufacturers right here in Indianapolis, small manufacturers which make up the vast majority of all American producers, and they're telling us every single day we can grow and higher because we have fair trade, like we're not getting Chinese imports dumped on our heads. And that story is building across this country.
Speaker 1: The idea of where what builds the growth?
Speaker 2: You mentioned the taxes and certainty in the tax code. Is it lower taxes that brings people to the table to be small business owners to try or is it regulatory reduction making it easier to open a business that brings people to the table.
Speaker 5: Well, you're right, it's both of it. Because you think about the cost of regulation, which under the Biden administration went up.
Speaker 6: Accumulated five trillion dollars.
Speaker 5: That meant every small business owner had to spend hundreds of hours extra every single year to comply with regulation. That's a tax, and the Trump administration is rolling it back, including at the SBA. One of our key jobs is not just helping small businesses access capital through lending, but it's also deregulation. And we've rolled back about one hundred billion, whether it's in the agriculture sector working with EPA to roll back death or USPA and other things.
Speaker 1: And so we are.
Speaker 6: Deregulating at a really steady clip. They've got to have that certainty that they have an.
Speaker 5: Environment that creates the conditions for their success.
Speaker 1: But if they.
Speaker 5: See a socialist regime coming in and saying you're going to pay high taxes, you're going to do what the government tells you to do, that's going to kill small business. You cannot have socialism and small business coexist.
Speaker 2: Talking to Kelly Leffler, she runs a small business administration, the administrator of the Small Business Administration.
Speaker 1: One of the things that you've been talking.
Speaker 2: About Forbes with the story that you want to raise the five million dollar SBA lending cap. Now, I've been a small business owner for a good part of my life. I know zero about these rules. What are the rules right now? And what does the lifting of the cap? What do you hope that achieves.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, if you think about the five million dollar cap, that's the limit on what you could borrow under an SBA guaranteed loan. SBA loans are put out through local lenders, and then we simply provide a government guarantee to that bank that gives it more confidence to make that loan. That cap hasn't been raised since about twenty ten, so in today's dollars, that loan size is actually much smaller. And then we see the manufacturing boom. This really SBA's roots is in small manufacturers. We came out of the Small Defense Plants Administration when President Eisenhower came home from World War Two as General Eisenhower, he said, we've got to keep our industrial base strong, and so in peacetime he created the SBA. And you know, to build a factory, a small manufacturer like i'll see today with fewer than one hundred employees. If you're going to buy a robotic welder that your welder is going to be working with, you're going to got by CNC machines or planing.
Speaker 6: Those are very extensive pieces of equipment in addition to the.
Speaker 5: Land and the building and all that.
Speaker 6: So we want to double the loan size to ten million.
Speaker 2: A weird question which involves whether or not this is the proper role of government to begin with. I believe in support of small business. I'm certainly a believer in no income tax. I've been very very clear on these subjects. I can walk down this road, but on the idea of backing a loan, is that the proper role of government to begin with?
Speaker 5: I am so glad you asked there are no weird questions because this is one of the most misunderstood effects of the SBA lending, which is all we do is provide the government guarantee and who pays for that guarantee the lender, and we operate at zero subsidy, which means we're cost neutral to the taxpayer, so the banks are just subsidizing any of the default rates. The banks take the first loss, and so our program by law has to operate at no cost to taxpayer, which is funded through banks paying servicing and guarantee fees over the long haul.
Speaker 1: And then what it actually does.
Speaker 5: If you look at Indiana, almost six hundred thousand small businesses in the state, they make up ninety nine percent of all businesses. Here, you get the benefit of expanding the tax base, creating jobs. Small businesses create two out of every three new jobs in our economy. And then you don't have one small business subsidizing another. And we work really hard to make sure the underwriting guidelines are stringent and people who aren't supposed to get a loan aren't getting loans. So we were restoring that because the Biden administration have blown that up too.
Speaker 1: Who are the people who aren't supposed to be getting the loans.
Speaker 5: Well, quite simply, if you don't meet the underwriting standards that make sure that you can pay back the loan to tax you know that has a taxpayer guarantee, that you're not getting it. And so you think about you've got to have a certain debt coverage ratio, You've got your business has to bring in the income to cover the debt service. Small business loans require you to pledge collateral. In some cases you're home.
Speaker 6: And we don't want to put people in that position. If you lend to a small business, you want them to succeed, not to struggle.
Speaker 5: And so we are trying to make sure that we're lending to healthy small businesses.
Speaker 6: And I'm going to be visiting a couple of days that I've used SBA services.
Speaker 5: I was at a groundbreaking last week in Georgia. They're now on adding five hundred more employees. They started with an SBA loan. They're going to be up to one thousand employees within ten years of their founding. And that's really powerful when you think about bringing back our industrial know how, our job creation. And he did it in small part with.
Speaker 6: An SBA loan.
Speaker 2: Talking to you, Kelly Leffler, a small business administration administrator, And I should correct you on one thing, the idea that there are no weird questions. You've been in politics long enough. I've been in radio long enough. There are very often very weird questions. But you're at the Indiana State Fair and you're going to be talking to business owners there, and we're going to get you in Indianapolis.
Speaker 1: Indians Hat or our minor league team. Somebody make that happen.
Speaker 2: Or if one of the usays can run over a colts Hat to the administrator, that.
Speaker 1: Would be great.
Speaker 2: The story over at CBS News was that you're being dispatched to Iowa to campaign for Republicans.
Speaker 1: It was the first I had read of the story.
Speaker 2: I didn't know why anybody is being dispatched to Iowa. They also have a lovely state fair, not as good as ours, but still very very good.
Speaker 1: Are you on your way to Iowa or who are you campaigning for? Well?
Speaker 5: I am going over to Iowa to do the same thing, which is to go to the Iowa State Fair and meet with farmers, meet with small businesses.
Speaker 6: Be over there with some of our.
Speaker 5: Great senators and congressional representatives, just as I am here in Indiana. I'm a Midwestern kid. I grew up showing cattle at the state fair, so this is like pure joy for me to be out doing this. But I also will be at the Field of Dreams baseball game tonight representing the administration. So my favorite place to be is on the ground with our small businesses, listening to their feedback, taking it back to Washington. So I spend my weeks traveling the country. I've been in over forty states now, and that's what I do. It's what I love. And I'm a small business kid. I grew up in farming and.
Speaker 6: Trucking business, and I just want.
Speaker 5: To make sure that we give more people the chance to live the American dream.
Speaker 2: So none of this is on the political tip. We're not campaigning for people because we see an issue in the polling or anything else.
Speaker 5: Look, I've been in red shakes, blue states everywhere out with our great.
Speaker 6: Members of Congress, and no I was at.
Speaker 5: The Iowa State for last year, and so I was hoping to get back and get another milkshake over there again.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, no, I'll do you. Book are at farmers and ranchers administrator.
Speaker 2: Somewhere if you're at the fair, the dairy bar sometimes called the dairy Barn, is right around the corner. They've got the blue Raspberry milkshake this year, and they have the big deal grilled cheese with the pickle in it. Tell Senator Young to put his hand in his pocket and pay for these things and handle it like the man that he is.
Speaker 1: Try that, enjoy it. You will never leave.
Speaker 2: Kelly Lefler, a small business administration administrator. I appreciate you taking the time to be with us.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Tony.
Speaker 2: I like Kelly Lefler. This is not the first time we've had a chance to talk. That was from my morning show earlier today, and I wanted to bring it to you. I have a weird odd habit in that I want to hear what people say, and then I want to be able to go back and discuss. And there's certainly times where I push back or I asked the follow up question, as you heard me, do there the fundamentals that we keep hearing about in this economy and how things are working? I do think that that is true. There is a real success that it's happening. There The problem is is that people who want to tut that are denying the actual cost of things. So you can argue some fundamentals and it will work in your favor, but you can't argue it well on Midwest main Street when you see the other things happening, when you see the price of beef, when you see insurances, etc. Where we are with gas prices, you have to accept that these things are in conflict.
Speaker 1: And I go back to.
Speaker 2: Something that Kevin O'Leary was talking about that we've discussed on the show with Doctor Will repeatedly, if I take the AI spend the crazy amount of money going into AI, if I take that out of the equation, tariffs are kicking the living crap out of this economy, morning, noon and night. But there is Kelly Leffler talking fair trade over free trade, and I realized in that moment, I've never really had that conversation with everybody. I've never gotten into where I am on free trade versus fair trade.
Speaker 1: And what that means.
Speaker 2: So I figured I would start with just a just a little bit of a hey, just you know, here's where I'm at. Free trade is about prioritizing market efficiency, removing government barriers allowing prices to be set by supplying demand. Fair trade is focused on allowing for these kinds of things, the labor standards, certain minimums, applying of tariffs, etc. So fair trade is about the concept of leveling versus free trade, which is about allowing the market to decide.
Speaker 1: I am a free trade guy. I think that's obvious in my presentations.
Speaker 2: But don't think I've ever used the words before, because it just I guess it hasn't come up like that, and I thought, here's Kelly Loveler bringing it up.
Speaker 1: I should comment. Do I believe that there is no place for tariffs?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Do I believe that tariffs as an overall blanket policy is a good idea? No?
Speaker 1: I think tariffs is an overall blanket idea is terrible.
Speaker 2: Do I believe that there are nations that involve in abuses of our system and the manipulation of their currencies.
Speaker 1: In order to get advantage on US? I do.
Speaker 2: Do I believe there are nations that steal from US in order to be able to gain our technologies to use against us and sell against US.
Speaker 1: Yes, but that's enough about China.
Speaker 2: China is where I absolutely concur that we must have a lot of a aggression, whether that be tariffs or something else, in order to make them suffer for their theft. I also believe we should eliminate the debt we owe China. We've already paid it, and what they've stolen in giving us COVID, we've paid it.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Someone may say to me, l Tony, isn't that a contradiction? I don't think so. And we will get into this, this free trade versus fair trade conversation and what it actually means. What does it mean to our daily lives, What would it mean to our level of spend? What does it mean to our economy? Does it somehow affect what we view as capitalism? And maybe part of our issue is that definition as well. So in going over my conversation with Kelly Leffler, I get into this place here, and we're going to dig in in the weeks ahead. I hope you'll be there.
Speaker 1: Keep it here.
Speaker 2: It's Tony Katz today, the former CFO of the Southern Poverty Law Center arrested for federal fraud. Couldn't happen to a worse organization, Huh, Tony Katz? Tony Katz today, Good to be with you. Oh, I'm not saying that the Southern Poverty Law Center engaged in unny fraud. Oh No, I would never say anything like that, because there are lawyers. I would say that it seems clear that they funded white supremacist groups so they could scream, hey, look there's white supremacy and then ask donors for more money. That's that is what it looks like. Allegedly possibly, you know, again the lawyers. But in this story, the encapsulated version, this woman had a boyfriend who was part of a hate group, and the Southern Poverty Law Center was paying the informant. She oversaw the financial arrangements, was living with the guy, and some of the money ended up in a joint checking account. Guys, I don't spend my time thinking about criminal enterprises.
Speaker 1: But if I did, I could never have thought.
Speaker 2: Of doing that that. I just could not have come to that possibility. So bravo and the creativity joy Jail. Find everything at Tony Kats dot com tomorrow. Everyone take care