Speaker 1: Way are back. It is Colts Corn with myself, Kevin Bow and Eddie Garrison is with me. It is a late Thursday night, very late for Eddie, so appreciate him joining us here on this Friday morning. We are going to recap Colts and Ravens preseason opener. What was the final score? Twenty four to sixteen? Was it that?
Speaker 2: I think so? By the way, I love that the.
Speaker 1: NFL now it just ends preseason games and ties. That is awesome to see. The Colts avoided that, but it's one of the games last night and in a tie. A ton to get to on today's pod. Obviously a lot from last night and really unfortunate rookie injury news, so we'll hit on that as well. Eddie, good morning to you.
Speaker 2: Good morning, and I appreciate you being appreciative of me. But I think we're equaling the same boat here, just because you know, you host a morning show at seven am, and that game did not really end early into the night last night for you either, so we're probably, you know, operating on the same amount of sleep.
Speaker 1: Never been a big fan of the primetimers, but no one wants to care about that. They would like to hopefully hear a little bit of analyzing I guess from last night. So let's get into it. We'll start with the quarterbacks and then, you know, try to get into our regular season mode of hey, what did I like? What did I not like? But let's start with the quarterbacks, and obviously begin with Anthony Richardson. I guess there is part of me that, you know, feels the need to look at the three passes that he did throw. He was two of three last night, Eddie, and you know the one called back due to the illegal man downfield the screen to WARRENIM it seemed like, and I think the injury play also plays into this, it seemed like there was a very concerted effort to kind of lock onto Ady Mitchell. H You know, he had the one comeback with that pocket kind of collapsing as the first completion, and then if you watch the near interception the third and seven. I liked on second thirteen him just finding more again, that's kind of simple. Get to third and seven, get to manageable. Now you're back into managable field goal range. You have a chance to convert and seven. I didn't love that he locks in on Mitchell not open. And if you throw laid across the middle on a third and long, oh boy, you're just you're asking for disaster. And it nearly was. He nearly gets picked off there over the middle of field, trying to find duel in there over the middle. And yes, again the pocket is not necessarily ideal. But you know that's one where maybe in the preseason he's like, no, I'll test it here, but in the regular season, I'll eat it. That's probably giving him too much credit, but that's when you got to eat you know, third and seven, throw it at the feet of dueling. Don't even give your chance for a turn over there, and again a sack would have been obviously knocking you out of field goal range in all likelihood there. So I guess that is the extreme overreaction to three snaps of him. But obviously let's go to the play that he gets injured on. The injury itself, by all accounts, doesn't sound to be too severe.
Speaker 2: Jordy Schultz said around nine o'clock this morning that he'll be back on the practice field soon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so against Saturday, Sunday, Monday. Yeah, the cultural practice and that hit itself, like you know, we have this label with Anthony Richardson, and it's unfortunate. Is the injury prone? Nothing last night Eddie changed my thought on that, Like that sort of hit a you know, you're not bracing yourself for a two hundred and fifty pounds individual revving up and hitting you where he did. I'd venture to guess most NFL players would dislocate a finger. Most quarterbacks would dislocate a finger in that situation. Obviously, him having to leave due to any injury is not good for his own rep needed self. He needs all the reps, especially on a night when it was supposed to be his night. He was supposed to get the bulk of the work there. So I think you kind of start there of like again, injury prone. Like I still feel the same sort of injury questions about Anthony Richardson going into last night as I did exiting last night. I don't think that one changes much for me. The issue for me is how the injury happened, and it was a misidentification by your third year quarterback. That is the clear most obvious issue to me. And you know Anthony obviously admitted it after the game, and you know, by all accounts that identification pre snap is rather elementary for an NFL quarterback, and for you to miss that in an August seventh preseason game setting, what two first team starters out there for the Ravens defense, by no means, is you know, Zach Orr and Chuck Pagano trying to be super exotic with you. You're as vanilla as you can come in a preseason setting. And for you not to see that, And yet, Eddie, when you look around him offensively last night, on that play in particular, the rookie right tackle sees it, the rookie tight end season, the rookie run seize it. And for you to be the one not on the same page. And even post snap, Eddie, there were a couple tells right away. You know, pre snap you can identify it, but post snap, you know, once you see that end dropping, And again, how much of this is like locking it on? Ad eighty was on that left side of the field. You know, I'm trying to get a little bit more into why behind that play. For him not to see it, that would have me calling wee girl hair endy if I'm chang stiking, oh boy, like what is going on here? Can you trust him? Can you trust him? And I think that is a very real question. You know, this gets into okay, what about game wraps for him? You know, let's say he starts week one, Eddie, that'll be a sixteenth career NFL start. I mean that's not even a full season. No, So then you get into this internal debate. And I know this conversation has come up more in the last few months because Chris Bowers brought it up. Hey, we we rushed him in there as a rookie. Well, like, does Anthony Richardson learn that play last night in a meeting room or does he have to experience it to learn it?
Speaker 2: I mean that's day one install stuff though, right.
Speaker 1: So like, again, theoretically he learned that right in a meeting room, but do you have to learn it again on the field? And again, this just gets into what makes his overall evaluation so complicated and so frustrating because it continues to lead to you know, negative areas. I guess is probably the best way to put it. So summarize it all, Eddie. It doesn't sound like his absence will be too too long. You have to flip the quarterback situation for me, for Green Bay, if you really want to make this competition go.
Speaker 2: On, because it essentially flipped yet last night.
Speaker 1: It's got to be Richardson for a quarter and a half a week from Saturday against Green Bay. Then maybe you make a decision after that and dress rehearsal it up agains Cincinnati. I don't know, Maybe you continue it for one more week. Training camp's over, you know after this coming week, Thursday's joint practice is.
Speaker 2: The end of it. So but.
Speaker 1: The injury itself, the injury prone narrative, none of that matters too too much to me. Yes, the fact that you had to leave the game matters. It's more of a you're gonna watch thirty one other NFL teams salivate over watching that play, and now they're gonna sit there and say, how else can we confuse him? How else can we make things be difficult for him? Because that should be a very anticipatory play where you realize it and you find DJ Giddens for three or four yards and you move on. But instead he gets hurt and honestly he's fortunate to hold on the ball. Yeah, I mean that very easily could have been a turnover in your own territory.
Speaker 2: Well, he did lose it, yeah, and he got it back. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean that could be catastrophic in a road environment against a quality opponent, et cetera, et cetera. So that's pretty much everything I've got on Richardson Eddie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what did you think about Daniel Jones?
Speaker 1: I thought he's I thought he's better than the stat line looks like he was ten of twenty one Gouls had two drops, Giddens had one probably, I don't know. The fifty to fifty balls with Mitchell, I thought he didn't get a very favorable flag on.
Speaker 2: I thought one of them was severely underthrown the deep ball, yeah, where he had like two steps behind the.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know some of those. It's like, you know, like Cooper rushed those the front shoulder and throw the instead of the back shoulder, and like if you really back shoulder it, you can win there.
Speaker 2: And get a PI. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well I'm not saying that, you just you know, you're not. Is that a pure go route right or do you read that back shoulder? I thought Jones was fine if I had to compare him to what I've seen so far in Grand Park. I do think last night, he was probably a little bit better than he has been. Again, ten to twenty one with four drops. Ten to seventeen isn't a great night by any means. But I did think at his best he gave I would say probably three, four, maybe even five opportunities for notable yards after catch instride, you make a play, you turned you know eight into thirteen, you know nine into you know seventeen, things like that to a variety of guys. That's a really key part obviously to playing quarterback, particularly this offense. I thought his best play the night was probably that second and seven where he rolled to his left. He's definitely under pressure. It doesn't end in a sack, it doesn't end in a throwaway, and he finds dueling for twenty twenty five something like that. Dolan, you know, did a lot with it after the catch, but I thought that was what Jones can do with his legs. So, you know, when you talk about the Colts quarterback situation, Eddie, the bar is so pathetically low. It's arguably different than every NFL team. So like when I sit here and say, well, I mean I think Daniel Jones was okay, I mean it, But then like, if I I watched whatever Jordan Love quarterback of Camp for ten straight days, and then you told me to weigh him up against that, I'd probably be like, oh, that's a little different.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like yesterday, I'm playing in this golf at and they're like, yeah, Kevin, how but if you be the long drive guy, I'm like, Okay, guys, I don't really hit a long drive. I can get the ball airborne, So like people like look at that and they're like, oh, wow, that's that's pretty good. But then like if you get some other people on the tee that can really hit it, They're like, wait, you're the long drive guy. You like have Greg Maddox's fastball. I'm like, well, yeah, yeah, sorry. It's just like Daniel Jones playing quarterback. It's like, well do you save? But like in the grand scheme of thirty two starting quarterbacks in the NFL, he's not that good.
Speaker 2: Do you have the precision like a Greg Maddox? Kevin, are you hitting the fairways every time?
Speaker 1: That I wish? I wish I was Fred Funk honestly driving it, But whatever, that's neither hitting r there. Again, I thought he had some nice on target in stride moments another there about four or five of them, and you know him and Richardson both they did not receive very firm pocket perimeters. No, you know, Ross Travis and Blake Freeland in there for two and a half quarters. I did think there was some leakage there coming off the edge. So all in all, I to summarize the quarterback night, how do you not look at it as a win for Daniel Jones? As sad as that sounds, I mean, the injury and all of that plays into it. The misidentification plays into that. Now, if I had to evaluate purely Jones himself, I think the night was about what we've seen so far, maybe slightly better. And you know, when Shane Stegin says is going to come down in consistency, I think there also is a way to look at that, Eddie and say, it's going to come down to who do you trust? And when that question is asked, it is if you want to live in that bubble. Now again, I want to live in a bubble of just getting answer on Richardson. H Like that's it. He answer on Richardson and you know what he happens to be the higher ceiling quarterback, So play him. That's my thought process. But the Colts probably live in a different thought process. They're living in a very week to week world when now et cetera, et cetera, all of that, and if they do live in that world, I mean, last night was a good night for Danion Jones. How does that sounds?
Speaker 2: Just to summarize and wrap up here the QB thoughts just mentioned Riley Leonard. I know there's people out there that, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Riley definitely made plays with his legs.
Speaker 2: He can do that.
Speaker 1: Now, again, he did that against probably people he saw more often than not in college. Can you do it against you know, first team defense guys and maybe when there's more of a scheme against you. How it made to be seen? I thought he had a couple of nice throws, but you know, I thought he definitely had some inaccurate moments as well. You know, I'll continue to stand by nice, developmental sixth round quarterback. He has massive strides to take within the pocket. Like I've said that like a million times about Colts quarterbacks lately. If Richardson was out for some reason, I would go sign somebody else. I don't know if I would want to be one play away from life with Riley Leonard right in the nice reasert ear form and see what you got.
Speaker 2: For those of you that may be newer to the podcast, my guess is during the preseason, keV will do it continue doing it this way, like, Hey, we'll break down the quarterbacks, then get into what you liked, what you didn't like. I like. Of course, during the regular season it'll just be well intro brief thoughts about the game, get into what you liked or didn't like, depending on how the outcome of the game went. So let's pivot now to what you did like, even though the Coltsleus were going to start there just because there were some positive to takeaway from this game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's start with Tyler Warren. Three catches and three targets, four if you want to include the penalty. I thought four very different routes too, And honestly, the routes that he ran last night or the plays that he made, I can think of like three or four other ways they involved him at Grand Park that we didn't see last night. I mean, they are going to get him the ball, They're going to use him all over the field, it's just going to be a high targeted, touched individual by the Colts offense.
Speaker 2: He played all twenty snaps in the first three series.
Speaker 1: Diddy, Yeah, yeah, yeah, gosh, it seemed like he was out there. It was a him and ogle Tree. Was that the starting tight end? I think ogle Tree kind of blown up a little bit on that first play, but yeah, I think that was the starting tied in dual last night. So yeah, very good night for Warren. I think you like what you saw. I thought JT. Twoymollawau had a good first debut. They his body type is not Dio Dangbo, but they seemingly have used him a little bit like that versatile inside on the passing downs. You know, he was really freed up very well for a stunt sack there at one point, but made a couple of plays. I think Nate Atkins said bone Bruce for him after the game and chatting with him in the locker room. So hopefully that's not going to sideline him for too long. But I thought the first two picks you had to be pleased with, you know, shout out to Ashton Doolan. I just what a nice career man. Just he's still here, and he's still damn reliable, and he had a couple of plays as a receiver last night, and obviously he's a key special teamer. I mean, hell Is College that he went to, it doesn't even have football anymore.
Speaker 2: Hey yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Yet here he is just carving out a really nice undrafted career. Good to see Jelani Woods catch a couple from Riley Leonard late. I think it's a I think it's a notable hill for him to climb to make the roster. But good to see Jelani Woods out there a little bit late. What else you know? Alex Johnson at corner, he had that early pick, great play in the air, and then later he knocked away a ball and I think it was a third and ten. Right now, he's knocking on that door, like who's next at corner? And I guess we should probably just get to Justin Wally Now. I just flat out sucks, just absolutely sucks. Torn a sale in the joint practice. Shane announced it last night after the game. I don't know in the nine years of Chris Ballard if I've heard the amount of public praise by various individuals within that building for him. I mean a variety of people have made sure that they have praised him, and you know we've seen the playmaking too, if I'm not mistaken again, I wasn't there, but I believe he got hurt or towards acl on play that he knocked the ball away in the joint practice. I mean that just kind of shows you who he's been. So he was your starting third corner, and I don't think there was much debate even if Jalen Jones and Juju Brins would have stayed healthy. Now that's me projecting a little bit, but now what happens at corner. You know the position on paper, Eddie, you didn't have like when we did the positional mock draft back in whatever April, I didn't have corner as a third round need, right And if Jalen Jones and jud Brent's were healthy right now and have shown a nice arrow, I don't know if I would act like the Wally injury is super significant, but given their statuses Jones and Brents, it right now is pretty significant. And I get that you're a month away, you know right now, where a month yesterday was a season opener, But you know, you think about Week one with Tyreek Hill and Jalen Waddle and some of those white houts early in the season and lou Ane Rumo wanting to play multiple dbs. You know, again, what is this going to look like over time? That I think is a huge, huge question that you do have. So again, this is a storyline to watch. What does corner death look like? Is Alex Johnson pushing? Is Samuel Womack back in an important role for you? He's probably had an up and down camp. Jonathan Edwards a corner out of tu Lane, an undrafted free agent, you know it, could he be a UDFA on your roster. Johnson comes over from New York as an undrafted kid the year prior with Jerome Henderson who's the dB coach now with the Colts. So that's something probably worth pointing out as well. But yeah, I thought Johnson had a couple moments there, and honestly, the pass defense in general, I mean John Harball was laughing about it after the game. He goes, you think team's ever won in a preseason game throwing for fifty nine yards in a game, So pass defense wise, I thought the Colts did a nice job. Joe Botchi obviously had the big interception there early as well.
Speaker 2: Man, he just makes place, doesn't.
Speaker 1: He He does? He does, Yeah, particularly honestly in the past game.
Speaker 2: Now, bless you man.
Speaker 1: That sneeze felt so good. Gosh, felt good to get that out. Now it's the transition. Things I didn't like you mentioned linebacker there. I thought the linebacker run fits were horrid. Oh my god. The run defense was horrific, just gash. I mean how the Ravens won the game thanks to what running the ball and special teams. That's pretty literally pretty much why they won the game. So yeah, the run defense, yeah, linebacker wise, oh boy, not ideal at all. I thought Hunter Wooler had a moment or two and also definitely had some whiffs coming up as a safety and playing against the run there, special teams, the coverage. Brian Mason is not going to like watching that film.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The big punt return, the big kick return, just brutal, brutal, brutal, brutal, one hundred and eight yards and penalties Eddie, that is that would be by far a season high if we want to look back on last year. So that is something as well, just to keep an eye on You know, Colts have usually not been a very penalized team under Stanstichen, but he was not happy about that post game and he shouldn't have been, you know, gool hat a couple of drops. I really don't can't recall many, if any, he's had in camp. He's been one of the more productive white outs in camp, so i'd throw that in there. The eighty Mitchell Knight, I don't know, Eddie. It's he catches on six targets, two catches on six targets, which that ratio is not good. I don't think it was as egregious of a night for Mitchell as it looked on paper, though, Like if you didn't watch the game and you see two on six, you don't like that. If you watch the game again. You brought up Jones kind of slightly under throwing them. I thought there were a couple fifty a couple of plays it could have been flagged. It turned into fifty to fifty moments. I'd like to see him come down with one of those, but again I'm not I don't think it was as bad as it was at times last year, and just a little bit of a timing with Jones one time there, So you know, before the game, I really wanted to see Mitchell in like those alligatory arm moments. I wanted to see him put into those situations, and I don't think he was in a lot of them. So you know, he's been terrific Mitchell, but game settings is just a different animal for him. So I think that probably covers everything on my end. Eddie Again, offensive tackles I Ryman and Bradsmith are just going to mean so much for you. That does concern me a little bit here. But unless you think you have anything else to add, I guess should we talk a little Spencer Trader? Yeah, to mention it weirdly, I bet he's I bet I've seen him kick. I don't know twenty field goals this this camp in season, I bet he's made sixteen of them. I'd venture to guess all the misses have been maybe all but one have been north of fifty, and I swear they all have been off the upright now, I know he missed one. I think a little bad to end the Baltimore joint practice based off a two minute drill that I was reading about from people that were there, so that one would be different, but like all this misses. I mean I literally feel like I'm watching Matt Gay kick. I mean like outside of them, like not having anywhere to have the same body type.
Speaker 2: Well, look he learned from him. When do you expect Jev? But it's like it's been like the same exact.
Speaker 1: I guess Matt Gay had that big hook going last year, whereas I guess he'll kind of a slight one last night for those that watch to miss kick, but great opportunity kick for field goals last night. I think he's the leader. I think he'll be your kicker and then you just kind of wait and see his season moves along.
Speaker 2: Hit one from fifty three right, Yes, had plenty of leg left.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean leg is no, I mean no, leg is no issue. This is not hot rod where you're like, wait, does he have the leg or does he not of the leg?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, he he can boom it. It's just you know what's going to happen when it all gets real. And you know the one he missed last night. They threw him out there kind of in a two minutes. You know, probably the more pressure packed kick and you know, snap and hold looked good. But you know, you kind of ran them out on the field and all of that, so I assume he will be your kicker.
Speaker 2: Before we get into Twitter questions, the remaining camp schedule will practice Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and then they're off until thirdday, right, and that'll be the final training kit practice with the Green Bay Packers at Grand Park. And that one is a three o'clock and I think I know Saturday and Sunday or four o'clocks. I can't remember. Monday.
Speaker 1: Monday is as well, So yeah, they're done with the morning practices. Yeah, Saturday, Sunday, Monday. As you said, Eddie, four o'clock each day. I would guess Saturday is a little light and then Sunday and Monday would be a little bit more ramped up. Tuesday and Wednesday or off, so then you recharge the batteries for like you said, that green Bay joint, it sounded like on this broadcast last night, Kenny Moore kind of hinted at like he's going to get out there for the Green Bay game. I don't know if that was just him talking or if that's real, because Shane's always been like, if we have jointed practice we're not going to play those guys, right and they sat. I think I did the math last night and I'll use this quotes Eddie. They had three defensive starters a lot too, and Quity pay played a series and then cammer Groan right now, is listen as a starter? Offensively? If you call Richardson a starter, you had four I think Richardson, Tyler, Warren, hannerh Bordolini and Mackenzlvos. So you played about six ish starters there. You know me, I've always been a believer that you play more of those guys.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: But I'm not holding my breath at all.
Speaker 2: Let's get into Twitter questions because our first one, uh pertains towards the offensive line. This is from Claude KB. Was Anthony Richardson at fault for that sack or the organization? Should he have been out there with the second unit? Or is that a blown protection? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean, by all accounts, it was blown by Anthony Richardson. If you watch that play, I think the other tens seem to be pretty much on the same page, you know, Is any of this Hanner, BORDERLINI, Anthony Richardson not on the same page, you know? Yeah, is the center controlling that and or is that just something that you just id and you don't even communicate it together, you know, like, hey, we have to be on the same page. We don't need to have a dummy check or whatever. A call to the line that gets us on the same page. Again, I pointed out, if you look at it, the three rookies on that playoff seem to know what they're doing there, and you know Richardson doesn't there, so you know, organizationally, I guess Claude's kind of hinting at do you play your frontline guys? Again, I don't think that all of a sudden cures that play.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 1: Outside of Taylor, I probably wouldn't have too many issues playing anybody else offensively. I mean, guys can get rolled up on at any moment.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: I mean Rashaun Slater loses the season yesterday in practice, Yep, you know it.
Speaker 2: Just see CJ. Gardner Johnson looks like the same. Yeah, you just never know.
Speaker 1: And Joe Wright, who you heard on the broadcast last night. I mean he's always said this, He's like, you got a spar as an offensivelignment, Like you have got to get into those settings and experience it, so you know, we will see. If I don't know, do you what do you think they do week three of the preseason. Let's say they throw Richardson out there quarter and a half green Bay. What do you think they do for that Cincinnati game? No joint practice before Cincinnati, you're done with training camp. What do you do that Saturday night, final preseason game?
Speaker 2: That's a good question. I would assume that it would hope that you would play the entire starting unit at least for a series or two and then let Richardson go out there with whatever you want the second unit, whatever the case may be.
Speaker 1: Do you name a starter after the Green Bay game a week from Saturday and you dress rehearsal that dude in that final preseason game? No, so you carry the competition out through the Cincinnati game.
Speaker 2: I would, yeah, just because look what happened last night, Like you can name richard and the start of going into that Cincinnati game for week one and then he gets hurt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll be very curious see what Shane Second does with that.
Speaker 2: Twitter. Question Number two is from Wakespy. Hypothetically, if Anthony Richardson doesn't paint out and Daniel Jones doesn't pan out either. Wake Spike says, really big stretch there. What three cults do you think the organization would try to trade ahead of twenty twenty six, assuming they hold richardson no matter what for next season.
Speaker 3: Look's got a loaded one.
Speaker 1: With a new GM. Everybody's on the table, right yep, I mean the immediate ones that would come to mind. Obviously, anytime you get a running back of Taylor's age and making that money, Yep, that'd be a contract year for him. If I'm not mistaken. A Pittman would also be in a contract year. We've talked about the wide out future, especially if Mitchell shows you something. I think you largely you know those the old line guys. Obviously Braden Smith would be a free agent, but Nelson, and I guess Nelson might be doing an extension.
Speaker 2: But you know, certainly Ryman isn't Nelson want to be in a contract year next year as well? I remember him being like an underrated guy could get Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now I think you would want I mean you theoretically, if you're having a new quarterback, I think you'd kind of want a solid offensive line. So I'd say Taylor Pittman, and then defensively, really all those guys are kind of in the same boat. Buckner up there in age, Grover up there in age, I are up there in age, Kenny up there in age. Obviously various value. Get Ward, yeah he is, he's one as well. So yeah, i'd say Taylor, Pittman, and then I don't know, Buckner, probably Nette, although he's in his thirties. Ward probably net a good amount. But I am I mean, I'm always pretty much a believer that I answer the phone on anybody just to get intel. But who would be safe, you know again, outside of winning, probably a solid offensive line for that next quarterback. I could be talked into a lot of things.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm assuming the players that you would deem as safe would be Warren Downs and Ryman. Down's probably lesser, the lesser of the three, just because I mean, I feel like slot receivers ones too, and.
Speaker 1: I think Nelson. I mean, like again, I i'd want some continuity behind that or in front of I guess I should say that quarterback there, But boy, if you I mean, if you gave me the right asking price, yeah, hell yeah.
Speaker 2: Neil would like to know KB if Ady Mitchell still has an underwhelming season. Is he going to be another Paris Campbell, another high draft pick that is a dud?
Speaker 1: No? No, first off, Unfortunately, the Paris Campbell thing has been well at least here was largely injured related. I saw just got cut by Dallas.
Speaker 2: I think he got hurt. Did he get hurt? Yeah? And then he got cut.
Speaker 1: He was he Philly recently with Sirianni.
Speaker 2: He was. Yeah, he was a arrest in the super Bowl.
Speaker 1: As wild as that sounds, yeah, I think it's you know, it's injuries for Campbell largely compared to whatever with Mitchell, and like, can we pump the breaks on this Mitchell thing? I mean, I feel like I've gotten these sorts of questions several times. It's like, guy, he's been lead for one year. I mean, you're letting Jelanne Woods play out of his rookie contract. Mitchell is not going anywhere. And you know, again, he's doing the he's arguably doing the hardest thing that there is to play receiver, and that's get open. And this is kind of, you know, popped in my mind. I don't know, Eddie, maybe once we get through the preseason, we can kind of dedicate a segment of a future podcast before the season starts to this, how do the twenty twenty five Colts make the playoffs? That general question. When that question is asked, you would immediately probably point to two areas, if not both better quarterback play and better defensive play. And again the thought of quarterback is Daniel Jones' arrival. Richardson makes year three strides. The thought defensively is investments in the secondary like you've never had. And Lou and Rumo, I'd say third on that list is better pass catching. You brought up downs in Pierce earlier. They make you sleep just fine at night. They were good individual players for you last year. Now go to the next part of the pass catching group. To me, I look at three areas. One is does Michael Pittman Junior not look like me with his back? Okay, that could be one healthier Pittman and.
Speaker 2: He's still caught what seventy balls or eight hundred yards exactly?
Speaker 1: Two? Does Ady Mitchell have growth? And then three is, of course the man we saw last night number eighty four. Yeah, his pure presence. So those are three different areas Pittman, health, Mitchell growth, Warren's arrival. If you get one or two of those, you had none of them last year. If you get one or two of them of the three, that's a better pass catching group.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So again that is another part of Okay, how do the Colts become a playoff team?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Some people might be skeptical quarterback wise, fine, some people might be skeptical defensively.
Speaker 2: Fine.
Speaker 1: The pass catching thing, I can you know, if you are Chris Ballard and you say, Kevin Bowen, sit down and let me tell you why we're going to be a better team this season, and he laid out the pass catchers like that, I think I'd walk away from that same. That makes a ton of sense. Yeah, I can see where you're coming from on that. And again, my eyes have watched Mitchell. Pittman kind of been quiet, but I've watched Mitchell, and I've watched Warren, and I see where you're going from.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was talking with somebody on the sidelines that you know that one of those practices I was at, and they're just I was like, hey, how's Pittman looked? You know, he's he was last years the back he goes, I mean he hasn't really done a lot, like he hasn't flushed. I was like, yeah, that's also true because Pittman's a gamer. He's not gonna be a guy that's camp wowser. I mean his flash, Yeah, to your point, his flash. He's more of a you out of the box sports end of the game and you're like, oh wow.
Speaker 1: Or honestly, he flashesn't make him like a physical plays like yeah, did you see that hit he took.
Speaker 2: Yeah, someone's gonna add it. I forget. So move along to Mark's question or questions. I should say, how did Juju Brins look prior to his hamstring injury? Kevin, what is your level of confidence with the secondary? Seems like the Colts have their top three corners and justin Wally, Chevarius Word and Kinney Moo right now unfortunately for while he is out for the season. Uh to have Juju Brince, Samuel Wilmack and Jalen Jones whenever Jones returns his quality depth In Mark's opinion, curious to hear your thoughts. Love the pod and I'm happy we're back. We're almost here.
Speaker 1: Indeed, Mark, less than a month away. How about we get three top ten matchups in college football on opening weekend. I thought I heard that was the first time ever one versus two. Of course stateon Texas you'll get LSU Clemson, and then you'll get the old fighting Irish against Miami. There the top five team, a top ten, top ten, top ten. Pretty sure, double check me on that if I'm wrong. Boy, I've always liked Jalen Jones man, and I thought Jalen Jones was having a nice little camp. Yeah, put all these little sticker things.
Speaker 2: I'm like, she's gonna get mad that you're peeling it off.
Speaker 1: I thought he was making some plays. Now again, he's a little different corner than Wally. Him and Juju are different than Wally mm hm. So you know, Juju maybe a couple of plays there, But I think the Bummers just on paper, you have created real debt. Now, Like let's say Jones and Brent show up for you and they're healthy. Boy, Samuel Womack, you know the lottery numbers on for me. If if Juju Brents is staying.
Speaker 2: Healthy, Samuel Woman is your fifth corner. That's an improvement from last year. And you got Chris Lamon still right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: They re signed Lamon. Are they about Lamon's back? Last week? We got a couple of those guys that came over from Jerome Henderson with the Giants as well, Trey Herndon. Yeah, but they I mean they barely Duke Shelley. I think they barely played last year. And we mentioned Alex Johnson earlier, Jonathan Edwards earlier. So you know, corner again, do you do the same thing you did last year? Is it a cut down position? Remember Walmack was there one waiver claim last year, So is that something that you dabble in again? But yeah, I will be very curious to see when do Jones and Brents get back because that's needed. And you know Ward has been kind of off and on in terms of his availability here. You know, is that just kind of management this time of year? And well you really need him and Kenny to play. If we've redid indispensable colts. What did I have was my list? Ryman Zaire? Did I have a corner that hot? Maybe I did have Ward that high. Yeah, you can make an argument to put Ward and Kenny both in your top five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was a little different than you I have I remember having a law too. I had Bernard, I had Nelson. I can't remember if I put Braydon on there or not.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I think he did.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. Final questions from Josh. We often talk about Anthony Richardson having a high ceiling but a low floor. I'm curious what you actually think his ceiling looks like after a couple of years. Obviously, all the physical tools are there and health is a concern, but I think I'm most curious about your opinion on the mental and intangible side of Anthony Richardson. Is there any precedent for a quarterback developing that to a championship level later on after a couple of years in the league.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think in regards to like growth from maturity standpoint, Yeah, I mean, I I there probably is a little bit of precedent. They are. The problem with Richardson, Josh, is that's like one layer. There's seven layers to him. There's Monday through Saturday, there's accuracy, there's turnovers. There is how much are you running it? How much are you not running it? Obviously can you stay healthy? It's like there's just so much to the parlay that has to be hit. Now having said that, like in general, with him playing football, you're not asking him to be Drew Brees accurate or Philip Rivers accurate. If he could get to fifty eight percent in my opinion, at the level of if fifty eight percent is met with a respectable turnover number, you can win with that. Yep, you can win with that, And right now, that's probably the highest I can go with his.
Speaker 2: I think Chapel had him at fifty eight percent in eleven on eleven team periods, right.
Speaker 1: Which, again, in camp you need to be much higher than that, like you need to be to me, you know, you almost knock off ten percent from camp to a game, because last year I think he was north of sixty if I'm not mistaken in camp there. So that is kind of how I would baseline it. The problem with defining his ceiling or like people that are like, hey, he's got such a high ceiling and all that, we sit here right now and we've yet to see him play truly good to great football.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Ever ever collegiately, you know, again Chris Ballard makes the comparisons to Baker Mayfield and Sam I was like, wait a minute, Baker Mayfield on the Heisman Trophy.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Sam Donald threw for four thousand yards at one of the best schools in college football. Yep, No, we can't go there.
Speaker 2: And so Jared Goff went to a Super Bowl or he got traded to Detroit, right, So.
Speaker 1: That's what I think makes it challenging. Of yes, there are these just tantalizing elements to him, but it's largely still yet to be ever seen collegiately, especially which I think again kind of adds to all of it there. But again, Josh, even if you don't want to say whatever, that's an all pro level. If you can just live in a what if he got to fifty eight percent, which is not that ludicrous of an ask, No, if he got there, and again, the turnovers were not as problematic as they were last year. The Colts very well could be a playoff team very well. So that's kind of how.
Speaker 2: You let me ask you this In conclusion here with the way that Chris Ballard was aggressive in helping out Louis and a room on the secondary with the selection of Tyler Warren, and you mentioned the players that are in doring a contract year next year if things don't paint out with Daniel Jones or Anythingy Richardson this year, are we going to see another situation where the next general manager sees what we are currently discussing. They have these guys that can make place, They have the foundation to be a good team. We just need a you know, a veteran quarterback in there. And we're back to the endless cycle that was of band aid after a band aid after band aid. Stop it.
Speaker 1: Now, that's a sick thing to end on that. You just drop that on me. No, no, I no, And this gets you know, I debated a little bit. I don't know if you and I did, Eddie, but like you know, people right now are bringing up Michael Parsons and Terry McLaurin. You know, those are the two big names that people bringing up right now, and hey, insert team here or should they enter that mix?
Speaker 2: I thought we talked about it last week. Did a Twitter question about it? Yeah, okay, Well just to reiterate it, the.
Speaker 1: Colts are frozen.
Speaker 2: Yes, you can't do that stuff.
Speaker 1: You can't entertain that stuff without it. So whatever, Drew Aller and Arch and Mendoza and the Carolina Yeah, that's not like Leonora Sellers whoever, you want to dream about Club Nick, you gotta be frozen. You just can't do it. And it's unfortunate. It's a bummer, but that's the reality that you are currently in right now. But no, no, you no band aid it not stop that. I'm just saying you imagine Jacoby Brissett quarterback in this team. Oh no, I'm talking like Carson Wentz out of retirement. Yeah, now Car's done. My brother sawm at Kroger the other day.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I just remember, by the way, what I was gonna mention earlier that I forgot. You said, uh, avenue for the Colts to make the playoffs. You mentioned a better quarterback play, better defensive play, and then an underrated one was better pass catching a number four. They're in the a S South.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the gift that keeps giving, baby, you know what I say, God bless the AFC South.
Speaker 2: And as we wrap up KB, I know people are going to start wondering when we're doing the Fantasy Football League and the pick'm that stuff coming out soon. We're kind of finalizing the details on how we want to give away the spots to the Fantasy Football still open.
Speaker 1: Suggestions from people. We have debated a few Eddie's come up with what I think is a pretty good idea, but we're still open, so yeah, we'll probably provide that info for you on an upcoming pod or two. So yeah, slide into either of our dms for that if you have any thoughts. He is Eddie Garrison. I am Kevin Bowen. Thank you for listening to Colts Corner with Kevin Bowen. We'll talk to you probably Tuesday ish. Recap and a trio of Colts Practice