Speaker 1: What's up y'all. Be sure to tap into our YouTube channel.
Speaker 2: On December twenty first, at two pm Eastern Standard time, we will be reviewing James Cameron's latest release, Avatar, Fire and Ash.
Speaker 1: As the Avatar series adds its third.
Speaker 2: Installment, we would discuss the film itself and if it needs to continue. This will be our final live show of the year, so be sure to come check us out and share your commentary and questions.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 2: That's December twenty first, at two pm Eastern Standard Time on our YouTube channel YouTube dot com FPS podcast.
Speaker 1: The Frames per Second Podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to another episode the Frame Second Podcast. I'm heuse for the evening. My name is Mike. Next to me, I have Spike. Across from Spike, I have Ken. Next to Ken, I have Rod, and this is an anniversary film. I don't remember what the year was or whatever, but we are covering eight years twenty five years come a twenty five year classic film, Broke Back Mountain. This was one of Spike's suggestions, and I'm gonna start off with you, Spikes. Why do you like this movie so much? Why did you suggest we do it? I have never seen this movie. I did not suggest it Where did this suggestion come from?
Speaker 1: I really don't know. I think it was twenty five year anniversary, that's why. But who picked this? Nobody had to pigot. It just happened.
Speaker 2: We usually picking anniversary for no no. I feel like this was for just came, no pun attended. I feel like this was forced, This was forced upon us.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's fine, it's fine. You liked it, it was okay. Really I didn't hate it.
Speaker 2: Okay, interesting day had a lot of interesting opinions today.
Speaker 1: Ken, what did you think of this movie?
Speaker 3: I think it's one of those movies where you watch it once you're good. Yep, you know, you get the story is good, it plays out. I think it did a good you know, it was definitely a moment in time when it released all those years ago. But I think overall is the story. I think it were he drafting spots, you know, but yeah, rewatching it, it was like, oh my god, it was slow as fuck. But but no, overall it's good. It's a good love story.
Speaker 1: Okay, was it a slow ass fuck for you? Rob Christ?
Speaker 4: Like Spike, I had never used sty I've avoided twenty five years. I've avoided this just I just had I didn't feel like this movie was for me. I just feel like this wasn't something that.
Speaker 1: You like love stories, right, and how you know it's not for you unless you try it something. I just know, you know what I'm saying, y'all.
Speaker 4: Y'all all have seen the other movie Don't Move, like right, so that's to your point whatever, So like, uh so, yeah, like like it wasn't I've always heard what the premise of the movie, so I was like, okay, yeah, you know that that's I'm not rushing to go see that, especially like I'm just not I just never had any I won't say I won't have any desire because it's a filmmaker.
Speaker 1: I had desire because of all the nominations and received.
Speaker 4: I was like, okay, I probably should see this film as a as an aspiring filmmaker myself.
Speaker 1: Like so, I thought it was done really well.
Speaker 4: Actually I thought it was I thought it was beautifully done. And at this point, we've seen so much stuff like this, you know what I'm saying. When this came out twenty five years ago, I don't think it was like now we're desensitized to this type of you know, movie or whatever. I've seen it in TV shows like I said, Moonlight, like it's it's been so many different things that I've seen stuff like this in or relations like this, and so yeah, I'm just known to I just watched Call Me by Her Name or whatever, like you know what I'm saying. Like, so at this point, it's like, okay, yeah, back then, I just you know, I just didn't have any interest in watching something like this. I just didn't.
Speaker 1: But they did. Really, it's it's it's it's.
Speaker 4: Done really well. It's done really well. I'm glad I finally got around and watching it. And yeah, I'm with Ken. It's it's you know, I watched it. I'm done. You know, if I was to watch it again, it'll be specifically for to to figure out or to uh as a reference. Right, things they were doing with long shots and and just certain different cinematography. I know that sounds crazy, but they did it. They did a really good job with spacing and and composition in this movie.
Speaker 1: It was so good. It was really good.
Speaker 4: Like the sheep herding this stuff, like those scenes were really good.
Speaker 2: All right, this might be unexpected. I hate this movie. I've never liked this movie. I have always thought this movie is fucking terrible. This is my second time watching it. I watched it right when it came out, and I did not like this at all. I always it always made me feel like this movie seems like it was made by straight people to give the impression of what a gay relationship is, and it always it makes It gives me the same feeling of white reviewers listening to like Pepper Butterfly and then being like like, oh, now I understand the black experience. That's how it feels, you know what I mean? But yeah, I don't like this movie. I don't like the acting. I don't like the story it is. I don't know for a fact, of course, but how I would interpret this type of relationship to happen.
Speaker 1: This is unbelievably unrealistic. It does look like.
Speaker 2: We'll get there. There is a very specific part where it turned me off for the whole film. I was like, that doesn't make any sense. That makes less than no sense. What in the hell is going on right now? We you shut up, it's a better question for you, fucking stupid.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we're gonna go ahead and get into it.
Speaker 2: Nineteen sixty three, ya, actually, before we even go. The names were enough for me to be like that, what Jack and Eni Twist us? The man's name is Enis bro what are we doing us? You combined Penis and Anus made a name out of it, so it just seems like a troll. I think it's Ennis, But if you look at it, it's just like what why why?
Speaker 1: I just look at that. I think you're reaching with that one. Damn, I'm just saying rude as hell I was earlier.
Speaker 2: I immediately apologized to Ken acknowledge that.
Speaker 1: His head.
Speaker 2: Damn, I'm still mad. I shot on his boufaril Okay, all right?
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 2: Nineteen sixty three, uh Rod's Maine man, Enis del Mar and Jack Twist are hired to go hurd some sheep throughout broke Back Mountain, and afterwards they meet up at a bar and tell each other about themselves.
Speaker 1: What did you think about Enis and Jack? Ken? Ennis and Jack quiet reserved.
Speaker 3: It seemed like Jack was more interested in him than the other way around. It was interesting like when he got out of the truck. There was a shot that they had where he was at a circle looking at him in the mirror.
Speaker 1: Something.
Speaker 3: There was some questionable shots that they were doing. I wondered if they were doing that intentionally, Like when he was drinking the beer bottle and looking at.
Speaker 1: I was like, it was he didn't put a little too much mouth. That's not reaching.
Speaker 2: That's not reaching.
Speaker 3: It is some of the ship looked like watching it, I was like, wait a minute the first time, but now I'm like, beause.
Speaker 1: Why they showing sheep asses?
Speaker 2: Like I was just like, come on, come on it a sheep.
Speaker 3: Like, I said, you know what, I'm just adding this to it. I don't read this.
Speaker 1: I say that to say that I'm adding it to it's not there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but but nah, it was interesting to see just like how distant they were from one another in the beginning of the movie, very reluctant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they did it visually and.
Speaker 4: Audibly, right, So I thought that was that that's a good point because that was a note of mine that I had, Like they showed like how separate they were audibly and and physically, and then it gets gradually closer and closer and closer with dialogue as well. All of that wasn't, I'm sure obviously intentional, And I and I and I and I did.
Speaker 1: Really like that.
Speaker 2: Spike, where'd you think about the conversation that Ennis and Jack were having.
Speaker 1: At the bar? Skip to the bar already? I didn't skip. That's the part we're at.
Speaker 2: After they meet, they go to a bar, like literally, they get hired on and they go to a bar.
Speaker 1: That's why I asked. That's why I asked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought so, like, this is how it going down on the ranches and stuff, is how they get to it.
Speaker 1: I ain't never seen this on Yellowstone.
Speaker 2: And it just brown, but some similar to what abof kena Rodd said. You could tell how distant they were, reluctant they wore to talk to each other, and then that wall just kind of broke down.
Speaker 1: M hmm, Yeah, I was so.
Speaker 2: I liked the story that Ennis tells about his parents how they died in a car accident. I mean, it was a random story, but it sounds real that my parents were driving around curb, they didn't realize it was that sharp of a curb and they fucking died.
Speaker 1: But then watching it this second time, I didn't know.
Speaker 2: This is the first time, but this time I was like, oh, Jack keeps asking about beating in a rodeo and riding horses and shit, and I was like, I didn't realize it until this one.
Speaker 1: But I think this was new for Ennis. It was not new for Jack.
Speaker 2: I think Jack already had these feelings and I don't think I picked up on that the first time I watched it. I did think that one of them was more experience. I picked up differently Jack definitely, he was initiated. So this is the part that I was getting to that I didn't I didn't really like. So after night of drinking in some really cool weather, Jack makes a move on Ennis and after a little bit of resistance and it's gives them the penis.
Speaker 1: That's what That's what he was like. I'm about It's like, y'all can have this part of the conversation. I didn't want to discuss this point.
Speaker 5: What did y'all think about, uh, this scene in particular, as well as the romantic emotional relationship that they developed while they were on the mountain.
Speaker 1: I'll start with you Rod.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, this ship like it it felt like it came out of nowhere.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh it was. It's like because I feel like, no matter what I say, it's going to sound fucked up. I know, it's coming. It's like I know it's coming.
Speaker 4: I know it's coming. Like you've heard it, heard about it. I've heard about it my whole life. It's not my whole life, but part of the whole twenty five years that it's been off. I've always heard that it, you know, about the scenes or whatever, so I know at some point it's gonna happen or whatever. But that shit still caught me off guard. It's still like, I'm like, what the fuck that escalated so quickly or whatever? And then like I was like, oh shit, was that a dream? This whole time has been a dream? Because they wake up and it looked like they were still in the same position. Do you see that motherfucker buckler up its pants? I was like, Oh, what fuck? That shit did happen? And so so yeah, uh so, yeah, escalated quickly is one of the first things I thought. I thought it did it. It reminded me kind of of the stuff that you hear about, like jail or whatever, like you're in these situations for so.
Speaker 1: Long with men or whatever, so maybe you just dog is it usually read? I don't know. I mean this kind of was.
Speaker 2: This was not rape. It was it was aggressive. Though it was very aggressive, he didn't seem like he wanted it.
Speaker 1: He took you serious, he took it. He he initiated it. Jack seemed like he forced to force the situation.
Speaker 2: He forced his booty on his deck. Were all talking about what I'm saying, is.
Speaker 4: It Yeah, you're probably right, But initially it seemed like Jack like, yo, man, come in the tent or whatever.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: This motherfucker wanted to stay in in the freezing cold and the sleeping there with that man, and he kept telling to come in or whatever, and then he pulled his hand around.
Speaker 1: Or that. Later yeah, yeah, yeah, he pulled his hand around him or whatever.
Speaker 4: You walk up like what the fuck you doing or whatever, and so at that point it's like, all right, can't like I don't want this, so but he kept coming close, like no, you do, you do?
Speaker 1: So it just felt forced. That felt forced to me.
Speaker 4: That don't feel forced if it's somebody say clearly like I don't want to do this.
Speaker 1: He didn't say clearly, I don't want what?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: What? His action showed clearly I don't want to do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I think I think equating this to to rape.
Speaker 4: I'm not never equating it to ray let me let me just back it up. I'm not equating it to rape. It just seemed a little forced to me. It's like he didn't want it. He did, he didn't want it.
Speaker 1: Sounds like rape.
Speaker 2: It does sound like rape, So so you're equating it to rape. It didn't, but didn't seem it didn't. Yes, now they flipped it like what Ken is saying. They flipped it once.
Speaker 4: He was like, all right, maybe I do want this, and so he turned him around and he was the aggress save.
Speaker 2: Or whatever I think it was supposed to be pushing this idea of Jack was picking up signals from Ennis. And when they got in the tent and he tried to pull his arm over and it was at first like no, man, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: And Jack was like, no, I think you you you know you want it.
Speaker 2: And there was like this weird like struggle thing, and then pretty quickly and it's was like all right, ship.
Speaker 1: Let's go. They did this in Ozark too, remember the same type of way with the FBI and.
Speaker 2: The yeah I don't remember, oh yeah, yeah yeah, yeah, oh yeah, I knew you remember in the hotel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's nineteen sixty three cowboys. Yeah.
Speaker 2: This this made it seem like that's a reoccurring thing that happens where they are.
Speaker 3: No, well, it's just the sixties, that sort of behavior being closeted. You know, I'm not like that, because that was one of they say, I let you know, I'm not queer.
Speaker 1: Is that I'm not either? You know, it was closetive though, well Jack probably wasn't. No, everybody here was. Y'all were closing eyes. Jack was a little bit. Jack was a little bit more.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I guess you're right they were because and it was like you like, which I thought was a really good scene towards the end, it's it's like you did.
Speaker 1: This to me. But either way, I'm jumping today. I think that they thought they were gay. They thought this was just a thing that they.
Speaker 2: Did, which is what you mean about jail, because people say that about jail, like Italians say that, like they said that in the Sopranos, Like I mean, if you're inside for ten years, what are you supposed to do? They weren't out there that long, y'all. They were lonely, and they were by themselves.
Speaker 4: Sure, but I feel like that's what they were trying to say.
Speaker 1: I do think there wasn't a lot of build up.
Speaker 2: It wasn't no, but I think that's what they were trying to say though. But that would be the opposite of what. Okay, we're gonna do this argument again, We're gonna go around a certain I feel what you're saying. I just don't think it's it's I don't think the equation.
Speaker 4: Again, it's my perspective. That's what I thought about. I thought about similar to jail. Okay, jail thought because a lot of those dudes come out and they're like, oh, well it was just jail.
Speaker 2: Yes, but they don't then carry on romantic relationships. That's why I'm saying it's not the same.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe maybe they do, maybe they don't. We don't know. Typically they don't. How do you know? I'm not mean, Okay, Ken, what did you think about the scene?
Speaker 3: Them motherfucker's out there getting buck wild Bro, And once it went down, both of them were all in. They out there wrestling and ship grab ass Bro. They were out there having him a good ass Broy. Yeah, that's when Randy Quaid Aguar pulled up. It's like, what the they were going crazy?
Speaker 1: It was hating.
Speaker 3: Had none, you know, it was it was definitely like, you know, we didn't see it. I didn't see it unless y'all saw something different to where Jack had signs that in us would be receptive to that.
Speaker 2: I think he was trying them out, and I think that this is kind of what dudes do, whether it's with another guy or a woman. You try a couple of things out and see if it works. And that's what I'm saying. All his all his advances were rejected. He only had one advance, was the one, the one the other one on the first ones when he's trying to get blood off his head and ship dab his head and give me that fucking rag, I'll do it myself.
Speaker 1: In the moon she was it was, Yes, it was. If I came over.
Speaker 2: After he got after he got his head busted open, I would expect you to want to help.
Speaker 1: You want me to on y'all, you would do that a fucking lately.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Yeah, my best bucket.
Speaker 2: His head opened on a cabinet and the first thing I did because he was like, oh my god, it was bleeding.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: The first thing I did was I grabbed a rag and I was like, hold your head up, hold your head up, and I was trying to clean the best friend. Sure, but this is this is I would well, I'm glad to know that if any of y'all ever get because if you got your head busted open and you're like, oh my god, I would absolutely go try to grab a rag and be like, hold your head back, let me see how deep it is. I would absolutely do that.
Speaker 1: I would absolutely do that.
Speaker 2: But I didn't know y'all were so like weird about male touch that you don't freak out about that.
Speaker 4: If I see if I seem fine enough to dap my head myself, Like I could see if I'm like just kind of like unconscious or whatever and I need some assistance.
Speaker 1: But he seemed perfectly fine to just do the shit himself. That's all I'm saying. I didn't take it as an I didn't take it as an advance.
Speaker 4: It seemed in the in the context of the movie, it looked like an advance to me, all right.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 3: Yeah, seeing him accept that, you know, that was something he was interested in and really pretty much going all the way in bro like turning him around. And I wonder if he was doing that to make it seem like, you know, he was the one that was in control of the situation and instead of the other way around. But yeah, that was the only thing. It was like, Okay, well this was sudden because he didn't want to sleep in the ten you know, it just was cold as fuck.
Speaker 1: He didn't want to sleep in the tent because he thought that was gay. Oh I didn't think that that was it, because why else would he not want to sleep in the tent. It's fucking freezing outside. He was just like, I'm not sharing a temp with no man, right he said that.
Speaker 2: He didn't say that. No, no, no, he didn't say that. It's yeah, it's definitely one person ten, so a little snuggle is natural, man. But yeah, I still vividly remember the first time I watched this movie. I was done. After this, I was like, this is stupid because my first thought is this can't be how this would happen, because how do you immediately know who is giving versus who's getting. There was no discussion. Moonlight did this so much better. I understand. Y'all on a beach, get a handy you realize this is what you know, this is what I like, and then for the rest of your life, your fot you're trying to search for that feeling. This was just like y'all just immediately go to oh, turnaround what.
Speaker 1: And I know, I know y'all gonna bug out and think it sounds weird.
Speaker 2: But if I was watching and if it started off with a blowjob or something, I'd be like, Okay, this makes more sense to me.
Speaker 1: But immediately going to turn around what And it looked like he did it before too.
Speaker 2: Right because he spilled his hand and just went I was like, wait a minute, wait a minute, minute, this this seems weird.
Speaker 1: That's why to me it felt like a movie.
Speaker 2: And I'm pretty sure Angy is queer, but that's why to me, it felt like a movie that was written by straight people about how they think this happens, because.
Speaker 1: This is probably how your average straight person thinks, like, oh.
Speaker 2: They just round the ten hett fucking my anass. That doesn't make sense to me. It really does.
Speaker 4: Like I said, it did seem brupt, but I guess if I'm trying to give it, give it Grayson, like, Okay, it could possibly happen like because it could be like one of those things like I'm not even gonna think about the shit, I'm just gonna do it.
Speaker 2: But why would Jack immediately spin around like he like Enna's turning you around to me just yanked his and he was like, okay, cool, what what? And if we're supposed to believe that these are two men discovering their sexuality or discovering what they may like, it just seemed weird that there wasn't.
Speaker 1: Any kind of conversation nothing.
Speaker 2: It was just blow bam and and if I'm being a little grad, it went in real easy. I would think there'd be a little It's like, are y'all trying to make this movie realistic or not?
Speaker 1: Even if he had I it doesn't.
Speaker 2: I'm not even it doesn't seem like it seemed like a no experience for him.
Speaker 1: No, it just seemed like, you know, it didn't go in. He spit on his hand and went and that was it. In a fresh.
Speaker 2: Boekend, it seemed like it was a struggle, but I didn't see, well the struggle was before he went into blue. Yeah, it just seemed it just seemed weird to me. It seemed like maybe the studio got involved and was like, you know, let's make this kind of shocking. I don't I didn't really need shocking watching this movie.
Speaker 3: It was definitely was one of the most controversial moments back in that time, and talked about scenes.
Speaker 1: To see something like this on in a theater, I think that, Yeah, I'm with you. It was. It caught a lot of people love guard. They were like, what was it?
Speaker 4: Twenty five years later, knowing what's supposed to happen still caught me off guard.
Speaker 2: It just irritates me because I mean, there's so many movies like you said, Call Me by Your Name or Moonlight, those movies do this story or uh, let's stay out the movie with Elliott Page. Fuck, I can't remember the name of it. But there's there's so many Huh.
Speaker 1: Maybe they've learned, maybe they've gotten better.
Speaker 2: But you would think a queer person writing this story would not make it so abrupt like this hollow watching it even again the first time, and this time, I'm just like, this doesn't make any sense, y'all, But you gotta just kind of let it go. But but yeah, so moving forward, the contract ends, Jack and and it's go their separate, their separate ways.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sorry I left the part out.
Speaker 2: They were playing a little, like I said earlier, a little a little playhouse fighting, and uh, they get rough and Jack ends up busting and it's his nose, which kind of led them to a sort of fight. But then they move past that pretty quick when the contract ends and they go their separate ways. I'm gonna have to start skipping over stuff because it's getting long.
Speaker 1: But come on, man, damn real quickly. I'm only ask one of y'all, whoever wants to take this stop, Spike, go outside. I told y'all.
Speaker 4: I told y'all, no matter how you say something, it's gonna be.
Speaker 1: I'm not asking this Spike.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna ask Ken, because ros long winded, what did you what did you take of the scene of Ennis breaking down and puking in the in the in the alleyway heartbroken?
Speaker 1: Is that what he was? Oh? You thought it was he was disgusted. I thought he was sickened of what just happened.
Speaker 2: And I think he was wrestling with Oh my god, this just happened.
Speaker 1: This dude left and I'm feeling longing for him, and he just got sick. Well, I think, well, yeah.
Speaker 3: I thought he was like, okay, So there was the fight, yeah, which I think was him also still trying to reject that side because now they're about to come down to they about to go to the real world. Now they're living in this they're away from everybody. This is fantasy. He even told him, the only thing that matters is us. It's nobody else's business. But now you're going back to the real world where you're judged. We didn't know at the time he had this story that his dad, you know about with dad.
Speaker 1: We didn't know any of that.
Speaker 3: Maybe that could have been planned, but I felt like when they got down and there wasn't a further discussion about like what do we do next, him having to go marry this woman he probably don't want to marry, and him walking away from him.
Speaker 1: Because Chatcha pulled the fuck off. He seemed like and you know, it was just like, bro, that's it.
Speaker 3: And then it was just like he was heartbroken, like that world is over, that I no longer have that anymore, and now I gotta go live a life that I probably really don't want to live.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 2: I took it the opposite way. I took it as he was like, I cannot believe that just happened. Now I'm questioning every single thing about myself. And then he just got sick from it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, but.
Speaker 2: I don't know, you know, I don't know who's right here, who's wrong. So Ennis ends up marrying his girlfriend, Alma has two kids. What did y'all think about the sex scene between Ennis and his wife Alma?
Speaker 1: Do you I remember this?
Speaker 3: I do remember that, and I thought it was it was interesting because I was like, Okay, how is this gonna play out? And he didn't want to look at her. He turned around like he was doing Jack, and even it seemed like on her face that that happens a lot because she was like in it, and she looked like she was like bro like because they were face to face and she wanted that intimacy of look at him, and he was like, nah, he flipped hers around.
Speaker 2: I had it that way one time and it was good. Let me try to get it again.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I thought this was actually a.
Speaker 2: Really interesting scene, the way he spun her around and he was rough with her, the same way he was kind of rough with with Jack. But I think Jack could just take it better. Y what'd you think of that?
Speaker 1: Seems fun? I thought it was indicative of the.
Speaker 6: Indive Why are y'all like this? Why are y'all like all the words? He did that on purpose? He did that on purpose? Man forget it, Jesus christ Man.
Speaker 1: Jack.
Speaker 2: After being told by a geary that there's no work for him, he moves back to Texas, where he meets Loreene Newsome. Yes, Stem and the Rose, I could look it up, but I still couldn't find a solid definition for it.
Speaker 1: I did the same thing.
Speaker 3: I looked it up, but apparently a thing for what I saw was just specific to this movie and they kind of made it up.
Speaker 2: See, So I went further and I did find other references outside of this movie, but typically it just means.
Speaker 1: They're goofing off.
Speaker 2: Because watching the movie the first time and this time, I was like, Stem and the Rose must be some kind of reference to being gay, That's what I thought. But it sounds like he was just saying, no, I'm not paying you, because remember they got there the couple of the sheep killed because they weren't paying attention.
Speaker 1: They were too busy fucking.
Speaker 2: So I think it was more to him just being like y'all were goofing off not paying attention. But any listeners, if you have a different explanation, please let me know. But but yeah, he meets Loreene news from the daughter of a wealthy agricultural agricultural machinery manufacturer.
Speaker 1: They get married and they have a son.
Speaker 2: But after four years past, Jack reaches out to Ennis and they meet up at Ennis in Alma's place. Rod, what did you think about what went down when they see each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought that was crazy. I thought it was crazy that he immediately out.
Speaker 7: In the in the in the open, like attacked this ass or whatever, and they was just right on the side of the apartment, like you know, liked kissing and shit like that's just stupid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was done like you're it's sixty three, so it's probably sixty seven or something. It was like a burning desire is the word that I thought about when I saw it, even that, like you know if and I know he looked around first, but come on, man.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's right there.
Speaker 2: Especially you got like, oh family and stuff, now that's right, yeah, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's like they wrote that so she could see him and kick off the rest of the movie.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: This is another scene that I absolutely despised in this film, and this it ship like this that makes me not be able to enjoy it because it's so unrealistic. If you have, I know, you haven't seen this dude in a long time, and you've been aching.
Speaker 1: For his kiss. You know your wife is right there.
Speaker 2: Why would you do this right and eyeside of the door? It makes no sense. They are the worst downlow, closeted gaze in the fucking universe. Because this didn't make any sense. It would have made far more sense if they went around the corner and did it and then she just happened to come down the stairs looking for them, yep.
Speaker 1: But to do it right in front of the door, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: I think they were just showing, Like I said, I think they were just showing the burning desire, like yo, I can't like I've been so because how long have been five.
Speaker 1: Years or four years? Four years?
Speaker 4: And it was just like he can't even control himself to that point that I'm gonna do this right here out in the open, right at the bottom steps of my house.
Speaker 1: I didn't like it.
Speaker 2: I didn't like it either, especially with how he's lying to his wife the whole time about what's going on.
Speaker 1: It's like, but you just fucking kissed him, made out with him right in front of the door, and then y'all came in. Yeah, this is.
Speaker 2: What the music they play.
Speaker 1: This is another thing that I hate about.
Speaker 2: I don't know if y'all even notice, but every single time they see each other, it's this.
Speaker 1: Like sensitive guitar part. It's so corny.
Speaker 2: But it worked, though it did not work for me.
Speaker 1: I hated it.
Speaker 4: This shit sucks, man, because they made it seem like it's just a regular love story if even well it is a regular I know, that's what I'm saying that that was that's what would happen, That you would have that type of music playing and it would be cheesy, and people would be like, this is fucking cheesy even if you watch love stories.
Speaker 1: Now they don't do that anymore. Do you think people are scared to say that? Because yes, one hundred and ten percent. Yes, scared to say what? Scared to say they don't like.
Speaker 2: You see it seems like it's anti LGBTQ because I've gotten.
Speaker 1: Called out for that.
Speaker 2: They're like, really, it was like, dude, me not liking this film has nothing to do with my support of the queer community. I just think this movie sucks. I've never liked this movie. I've always thought it was bad, cheesy and boring and completely unrealistic.
Speaker 1: That part worked for me, but I like cheesy stuff.
Speaker 2: You would love to have more content from frames per second. Become a patron where you can contribute to what we review and discuss. Our Patreon gives the listeners the power to nominate and vote a monthly discussion and film review, while also nominating and voting on weekly solo reviews from each cast member. You also get the opportunity to vote on the publicly released anniversary film, all exclusive to our Patreon. So become a patron at patreon dot com frames per second, where there are two tiers you can choose from. That's patreon dot com forward slash frames per second. Alrighty, what did y'all think about the story that Ennis tells about the body that his father showed him.
Speaker 1: I start with you, King, because you were kind of hinting at that earlier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought that was I thought that was a really good, interesting story that he told, and even the visual of like the blood in the in the genital area.
Speaker 1: I was like, dang, like that that was really abusive.
Speaker 3: And taking the dad like the dad especially talking about that story had to happen in the fifties, forties, fifties, and showing the kids and basically trying to scare it out of them, you know, and say this is.
Speaker 1: What happened to you if you are gay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I thought that that was that was an interesting story that eventually came around later, which is again him kissing that guy in the middle of the.
Speaker 1: Day out in the open, just didn't make sense.
Speaker 2: That's exactly where I was going to i'ma I'm gonna get your opinion in a second spike, That's exactly where I was going. It already didn't make any sense. It makes even less sense after Ennis tells this story. If you know what can happen, and you're constantly throughout the film being the one that's like, we can't do that's out in the open.
Speaker 1: We have to be careful.
Speaker 2: But you're the one that initiated this makeout session right in front of your own house, out in the open. It doesn't make any sense. It just seems like bad writing to me. Does he speak to his desire, then maybe like he knows all of this stuff. His dad told him this, but he desired him so much that he couldn't help himself.
Speaker 1: No, because but even then I think that.
Speaker 2: Would be like over sexualized and gave me like they couldn't contain themselves. That is also a lot of what I felt with this film. It was like, y'all are making this out to where it's like these dudes can't even think straight because they just want this so badly. But then you're following it up by making it clear that they understand the dangers. If Jack was the one that was initiating a lot of this, I'd be like, Okay, it's Jack, and if and this was like man stop, that scene would have made sense to me.
Speaker 4: I think it's because, like the interactions are so far few in between, so by the time they see each other, it's just like, man, they are they are really excited.
Speaker 2: I can be really like if I adn't seen my girl in three weeks and and she comes to my mom's house, I'm not slopping her down on the front porch of my mom's house.
Speaker 1: That's three weeks. I mean, but you take it for a month.
Speaker 2: I'm not slopping her down on my mom's porch, and you're not either.
Speaker 1: Jack could have the you know me momn whatever I feel like. So I.
Speaker 3: Get what you're saying, and I get your follow up question to that.
Speaker 1: The issue is that for the rest of the movie, yes, yes, a lot of time afraid of being.
Speaker 2: Discovered exactly exactly And it might seem like a small thing, but it's just these small things kept happening throughout the film. I was like, come on, man, that doesn't make any sense. Who wrote this, Spike, when did you?
Speaker 4: But it might make sense to the to that person in the moment, they might think they're being super discreet or in front.
Speaker 1: Of your wife's door with your kids. Yeah, his kids were in the house, so you gotta be dumb, not you.
Speaker 2: But the person in the movie has to be dumb as fuck to think he's being discreet by making out right in front of the fucking the front door.
Speaker 1: Well I'm past the in front of the front door.
Speaker 4: I'm just talking about like just them, oh, go on this fishing trip and like it.
Speaker 2: Just ohod and give your opinion, because I don't think Spike wants to talk about to go ahead.
Speaker 1: Getting out with that we can transition. Go ahead, where were you before?
Speaker 2: I was yes, about Earl and Rich and how the town suspected them being a gay and they beat Earl to death and towards dick.
Speaker 4: Off, and and then y'all start talking about that. You would think there would be a lot more discreet after those stories and stuff.
Speaker 2: No, I'm saying that that made this the part before it make even less sense.
Speaker 1: Oh that's what's just saying. Okay, right right.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, So they have these fishing trips on and off for a while, which they use as an excuse to meet up and spend some time with each other.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, their marriages are suffering.
Speaker 2: Ns ends up getting a divorce and Jack hears about it and drives up to talk to him.
Speaker 1: What did you think about how that conversation went, Spike? How did it go? I thought Jack was being a dick so he walks up to him.
Speaker 2: I think for some reason, Jack had convinced himself that since Ennis wrote him saying, hey, I'm getting a divorce, that means so when he go he went up there and and it's was like, hey, bro, I'm sorry, I got my kids this weekend, And Jack got mad because he thought that that letter was like an open invitation to be with me, but.
Speaker 1: He was not even understanding of I have my kids this weekend and that was okay. That goes to the question that I asked you too. I felt like.
Speaker 2: They were painting this picture the people that wrote it as to like that's the only thing that they could think about. This point didn't seem like sex. It seemed more like, I want to be with you even then, if it's even beyond the sexual part of it. But I'm only thinking about being with you, like people prioritize their relationships, and they were acting like he couldn't do it, and he was acting like you said, I got my kids, like I'm prioritizing you even if I do want to be with you, and the other guy was just like so mind blown by it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't like that betrayal. I get what you're saying.
Speaker 2: But I think with Jack, maybe it was I have been searching because maybe he's had queer sex before, but maybe he's not been in lust fit with another man. So I think in that moment it was just I found someone that I want to actually be with, not just go have sex with. I want to be with this person, and this person seems like they want to be with me.
Speaker 1: So it just seemed like.
Speaker 2: He was he was thirsty, he was desperate, and he just read the signals wrong.
Speaker 3: I mean, he spent a lot of which I mean, he should have known better because in his constantly over and over again rejected the premise, the idea of even being together, right, which is how he even told him the story in the first place. It was like, Bro, you don't think I'm telling you. It's gonna look weird because of this thing that happened. It looked weird back then. We can't be together, Like it's just not gonna happen. And when he got the yeah, because at that he was kind of even hinted to ins at the time, just how's your relationship going, how's everything going to the marriage? How should get a divorced coming back with me? So he had already been trying to get him anyway, and so when it happened, he.
Speaker 1: Was like, oh shit, it's on and popping, you know.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so yeah, and the whole thing with the fishing trips and stuff like that, like they were so terrible at that, but I know we'll get to that later, but even the first day, like I know, the white fella was like, oh yeah, so you know, we're gonna go drinking and we may not come back.
Speaker 1: I may not come back tonight. Brouh. So bad for her, Yeah, that's probably now.
Speaker 2: That seemed realistic for a fifties woman in Texas. No, they were in Texas because she can't say ship right. She was just like, all right, here's one I.
Speaker 1: Asked the divorce. He was just a piece of ship and us.
Speaker 3: He just like, did Jack have anything to do with this because it seemed like he just wasn't fulfilling his duties to the point where she just got got over it.
Speaker 2: I think it started with from what I remember, at least, it started with he they were trying to fuck or whatever, and then she was like, basically to get a condom. If you don't want to have my kids, you know, we won't have to you know, we ain't got to do this. And then she said I'll have your kids if you support them. So I think what it was is like, yeah, you're onto something. He was being a piece of ship. She was looking at it like you're never fucking here. Yeah, I'm always taking care of the kids. I mean even when she was at work and he came and dropped the kids off and she's like, what about my job?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he wasn't keeping a job right and stuff like that. So yeah, he just was. He was a terrible husband.
Speaker 2: Right, He was a bad husband, even outside of even if this was not related to him cheating on her with Jack, if he was really going off on fishing trips, he would be a bad husband.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so she had every round or every reason to get a divorce.
Speaker 2: After Jack drives up to Mexico to get his freak on, he has a conflict with his stepfather at the dinner table. Rob, what do you think about this scene? This is one of the best scenes. I wanted to beat that old man's yo.
Speaker 4: He he pitched up real quick, right, I'll be talking right right right, Nah, But I thought that was really good. He finally stood up for himself. Even his wife gave like, gave him more respect or whatever. So he kind of saw that a little bit, and she looked at her, See, supposed to your daddy, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So I did. I did like that he was being super.
Speaker 4: Differ respectful, very Yeah, damn I wanted to carve the fucking turkey.
Speaker 1: Want to turn on the TV that crazy man.
Speaker 8: I was like, man, y'all, yeah, you sit your ass down, yo, Jill, all your gass down, put your inger ass down right, knocked your ass in the next week like man was.
Speaker 1: Man, yo, Yeah that was saying I think too.
Speaker 4: I like that. That was probably one of the best scenes.
Speaker 1: Did he only do it out of anger? Though? Yeah? He was frustrated. He was frustrated years and years of like him disrespectful. I thought he was mad because old boy rejected him. That's what I thought. It was frustration board, I ain't taking this ship no more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah that she was just specting when he threw the keys at him when the baby came.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he looked like me and like that. Oh yeah, he looked like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was a good scene. I did like that. That's one of the best ones.
Speaker 2: What did y'all think of the scene of all my calling enis out in the kitchen Ennis out in the kitchen.
Speaker 1: I was like, bout times.
Speaker 4: Jack twist boy like Jack mask, Oh my god, I lost What kind of disc was that?
Speaker 2: It was?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Brook?
Speaker 1: Jack nasty? Yo? I was you a white woman?
Speaker 3: Not knowing how to get because a black woman probably that way.
Speaker 2: With your dirty dick, right, Yeah, she would twist. Yeah, but I'm like, man, you wait to now to say that ship like in front of your new husband.
Speaker 1: He was a sucker too, he was because he didn't get up from his her all that ship.
Speaker 2: He had to I'm gonna call him and Roll was right there.
Speaker 3: Bro, you can hear he can hear you here, get up when she when the badass kid grabbed that jar and everything and fell down. I would have made them pay for all that ship me too, but he was. Yeah, so they were just we know what that scene was.
Speaker 4: I did like that, Like they did a good job with timing, like like like uh, moving time along. I thought it was cool because we saw that scene and it made sense when we saw him later as her husband. Like that's really good filmmaking to be able to like not even show the stuff that happened between it, but it makes sense when you see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I do agree with that.
Speaker 3: It was it was definitely a setup for later for c But yeah, this this part.
Speaker 1: Of the movie, this movie was two hours and fourteen minutes. Bro. This middle section of them going back and forth they up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know they gonna spend all this up. But no, I liked her calling him out and the story she told makes sense. And and then I was thinking to myself, y'all fucking stupid nobody.
Speaker 1: Y'all.
Speaker 3: Even one time he was leaving, he even forgot the tackle box. She was like, you're forgetting something, bro, what are you doing about to go tackle some box? I don't need this tackle box.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I got, you know, I got, I got my fishing.
Speaker 3: But she said, like, and all these trips, because even even even Jack's wife was picking up on it too, But all these trips you were going on, and you gotta cover it up. When your wife is saying and your daughter is saying, bring fish, all.
Speaker 1: Right, we like fish and fish on, He's like, we ate them all.
Speaker 2: Come on, dude, come on, dude, we ate them all. Why wouldn't you think, Okay, let me go stop at the store then and grab a couple of fish.
Speaker 1: But your dumb ass every time comes home with none. Nothing.
Speaker 2: Like I said earlier, these are the worst download dudes on the planet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but uh so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, after he gets called out talking about putting the note on his on his fishing pole and how the note was still there.
Speaker 1: Which means he never used it like a dumb fuck.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: He leaves and goes out and gets his ass whooped the middle of the street, but he continues his uh, his fishing fishing freak offs with Jack and he starts dating this waitress named Cassie. But that I didn't find that interesting. If y'all do stop me, I didn't at all. But Jack and his wife Lauren make friends with another couple, Randy and Randall and Lashawan was it implied that Jack and Randall were getting it on.
Speaker 1: You know? That was hot from ye.
Speaker 3: Was like, yeah, you know, my boss got a cabin. You know you want to go go fishing fishing right now and gonna be cold, bro. It's that like it's cold, we can go fish to hang out ship like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got this stranger thing for you. But they were definitely looking at each other at the table and ship like that. I thought this was kind of a weird scene too.
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, I mean, I hate to pick this movie apart the way y'all did Five Nights, but there was just so much ship that I was like.
Speaker 1: This seems unrealistic. Because it's like, how did he know?
Speaker 2: Jack was not doing anything that would have implied like, yeah, I'm gonna go ask you to come to my cabin.
Speaker 6: What.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, I agree with you that that was very forward. Yeah, just by a gage, just you know, gaze.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, Nah. This scene didn't work for me at all. Interesting It did work for me because it was it was just like how Jack did enis or what his name?
Speaker 1: And you know it, I'm tired of y'all today. Man. It was just like how Jack did enis? See? Okay, thank you, Yeah he did.
Speaker 4: It seemed the same to me because and it's never showed any signs to me that that he was interested.
Speaker 1: In that way. The same way y'all saying that about Jack.
Speaker 2: It was just like the gaze that you were talking aboute But they were in the same tent. It was an intimate situation and it was only them. They still tried him out in the open with their why was right there, So it just they had to give me more for me to be like, Okay, this seems very similar.
Speaker 4: It seemed like it seemed like the roles were reversed in this situation, and I was like, oh, okay, Yeah.
Speaker 1: There was another part where he tried to buy a dude to drink.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then he picked up on it and walked away. That part made sense because he was being weird. He was being really I'm sure, but I don't know how many of y'all have actually had this spaar. I've been hit on by gay dudes at bars, and they are the dudes at least that I've run into in Atlanta. They were very forward, but it was as simple as a bro I appreciate you, but no.
Speaker 1: Thanks, and it was done. I thought I thought he was.
Speaker 2: This scene made no That scene made sense to me, where he was just like he was being very forward and the guy picked up on it pretty quickly and was just like, no, I'm good, I'm gonna leave.
Speaker 1: I thought he was.
Speaker 3: He just wasn't willing to come out and over because they kind of looked for each other.
Speaker 1: I didn't get that. I thought that he was just being cool. At the bar.
Speaker 2: Dude walked up sorry hitting on him, and he picked up on it, but he didn't want to like call him out. He was just like, I'm cool on this, I'm gonna jet and then he left Jack there looking stupid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jack got mad. He sure did get mad. You motherfucker, you don't want this butt. Don't think you don't think I go before my own fucking whatever. Whatever.
Speaker 4: I think Jack kind of showed that he wasn't into his wife either, and I feel I think.
Speaker 1: He showed like similarities to him.
Speaker 2: But why would you automatically pick up, Oh, you must be queer. I might be like y'all might have just gotten a fight a couple of minutes ago. It seemed like a weird jump to automatically be like, hey man, my boy got this cabin owt lif If you ain't doing shit, you want to go.
Speaker 4: But it still was weird. It still was like subtle in a way it was not. It wasn't like yo, let's. It wasn't like yo let's.
Speaker 1: Fuck. It was just like drink. Listen to what I'm saying.
Speaker 9: You know you I couldn't even watch the blood off your forehead, but you said I can invite you to my boys cap just being you yoking about b oh No, you and your wife and me and my wife will both go up and hang out together.
Speaker 1: He left the wives ain't.
Speaker 4: Always go, kid, that ain't hot that he just can not go like that. He that, bro, what are you doing? No serious? I'm being dead that serious? You thought that was still it's still subtle. What we're gonna do with the cabin rod, We're gonna go fishing?
Speaker 1: Were not somebody going fishing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're gonna go fishing. We're gonna do some hunting. I don't know, man, that it wasn't It wasn't overt. It's all I'm saying. It's crazy.
Speaker 2: That's cool in the movie, and.
Speaker 1: It seems that way.
Speaker 4: But I feel like it was the same ship that that that Jack was doing.
Speaker 1: It was very subtle ship until it's not because they ended up in a relationship. I think, man, they did. They did that. I get that they did. I'm not saying that that's not what he was doing.
Speaker 4: He was doing that, but it was I'm saying that he was just like just testing the water. He's like, yeah, you know, my boy, you know you got a cabin out there. You know you want to hang out some time. And he was like, oh, I know what that means. That's my move, trying.
Speaker 2: To play the player, right, that's my move.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't like this. I thought this was I liked it I liked it all right.
Speaker 2: Well, what did y'all think about the argument that Ennis and Jack get into after their last fishing trip.
Speaker 1: This is the one where Jack was like, we could have had a good fucking life, edis, but all.
Speaker 2: We got is broke back mountain. I wish I know how to quit you.
Speaker 3: That's thet I know how to quit you. I think that's the That's one of the quotables from it is.
Speaker 1: It is, I said all the time, all the time. Now, this is good. I think this is what I was talking about earlier when he's like, I wouldn't beat his wayward for you. Yeah, he acted like Jack turned him out. Yeah he did, And I thought that was And then Jack was I'm sorry, man, I'm sorry I turned you out. Bro, I'm sorry man, Like, yeah, no, this is good. Wouldn't have though, I wouldn't have when it turned him out?
Speaker 3: Well, if if Jack never made the probably would have went and.
Speaker 2: He said this is your fault. Yeah, he said, this is your He said you did this to me. I did turn him out the way, Yeah he was.
Speaker 1: I think he was.
Speaker 2: Clearly, and it's had like a feeling. So yeah, he probably would have lived his life and just ignored the fact that he had queer tendencies or whatever or desires however you want to phrase it.
Speaker 1: But I thought this scene was I agree.
Speaker 2: I thought this scene was was was good.
Speaker 1: High altitude is crazy though, I thought that was wild. Oh yeah, yeah, that would give me the high altitude fuck.
Speaker 4: I like how they made these guys especially and it seemed like such.
Speaker 1: Like a man manlies man, but then he was he had a very sensitive side to him, So I like that.
Speaker 4: I liked that they were able to depict that that it's not just you know, some overly feminine guy that's gay or whatever.
Speaker 1: Like you got two very masculine men that I didn't get. Bro huh, I said, you got some I this is two very masculine men. No.
Speaker 2: I thought the casting for this, even though these are both great a. I thought the casting was dog ship really absolutely, but they but they even brought up like these two little squawnny guys, so they I don't think they were trying to make it seem like they were overly masculine.
Speaker 4: They say scotty, but they don't. They didn't look like scrawny guys to me.
Speaker 1: They did to me, they didn't look like buff manly cowboys. It seemed like tough guys.
Speaker 4: They seem like tough guys to me until that one guy to put his dick in the dirt.
Speaker 1: He did.
Speaker 2: That, How dare you hit me in my car?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because he gave him one of them two guys work at the fucking that was man and if we're fucking scene, that scene was dope as funk.
Speaker 1: When he kicked it up.
Speaker 2: That dude, the firewors is going home. That ship was just there like, yeah, you look at the right right.
Speaker 10: I said, right too quick, throw my legs. Ron he did have that John clop Man.
Speaker 1: Damn here.
Speaker 2: Out. I want the microphone and pick that up.
Speaker 1: He laughed, my forty.
Speaker 2: Since I was twelve. Oh my god, we gotta ship was smooth, a little smooth.
Speaker 1: That ship was Mann sooth.
Speaker 2: So and it's.
Speaker 1: And it's gets a postcard, says the check out.
Speaker 2: I gotta stop laughing, hold on and to get the postcard, and says Jack died. He calls and speaks to his wife and she tells him that he was popping up a tire and it blew up and the rim hit his face and he died by choking on his own blood.
Speaker 1: What did y'all take from this?
Speaker 4: The first thing I want to point out is like, it said deceased, So I guess like it's the perfect person dies on the transit of a letter.
Speaker 2: They have to put it on there. I don't know if they have to. Maybe the wife marked him as to cease. I don't know how that works, but.
Speaker 4: Either I feel like that was a post office thing. I don't know, mmm, because I was wondering about that part. I'm like, well, why how did you.
Speaker 1: Just say deceased? I don't know. Interesting.
Speaker 4: I thought that was interesting, But what was the actual question? What did y'all think about this? But that was the first thing I thought. I was like, I went up to post office put deceased on it, and I was like, oh shit, this motherfucker.
Speaker 1: Died for real.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it was interesting to see how all of this is going to play out after he after he died, and what he was gonna do all and he called her. That's what I thought was interesting because I was like, oh, what dang, she did kind of pick up on his lifestyle because they didn't wreak that.
Speaker 1: They didn't make that clear.
Speaker 4: In my opinion, that Jack's wife picked up his life on his lifestyle. I know you said it earlier because he's like, well, why he can't never come down here to fish? But I still didn't think that was They didn't.
Speaker 2: They didn't show that his wife picked up on it. I guess we're to assume that at some point she figured it out. At least that's what I always took from the scene. I don't know if Jack was actually murdered, because all it shows is is Ennis kind of visualized visualizing it based on what his.
Speaker 1: Dad told him.
Speaker 2: So we're not sure if if he really just got hit in the face and chrunk in his own blood, or if he was really murdered. The ship that she said sounds super far fit.
Speaker 1: It did.
Speaker 2: It did, and especially the attitude she was giving made it sound like bullshit. So I'm thinking she knew, and I'm thinking he was murdered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it definitely sounded like shit.
Speaker 3: And I think that's, of course, this cover up story that they came up with when she suspected as much. So maybe that's, you know, a thing where you know, gay guys were getting beat up and jumped and killed for being gay, and it's kind of known, you know, and that's why. So they just try to make it the obituary and stuff sound, you know, good, to protect his.
Speaker 1: And I thought maybe her dad called a hit. Yeah, that's why.
Speaker 2: That's why I've always thought like, maybe his dad picked up on it because he made that comment about you want your son to be a man, don't you. So I always took it as the dad was figuring things out, and the dad, since he was rich, yeah.
Speaker 1: Figured it out and put the hit on him. I didn't even think about that. Oh yeah, that's what I thought.
Speaker 2: So and it goes we're almost done, y'all, And it goes to Jack's family home to get his ashes to take the broke back, but.
Speaker 1: His father refuses.
Speaker 2: However, his mother lets him go up to see Jack's room, and there he finds an old old shirt, that old shirt that he left on the mountain after they got in.
Speaker 1: That little fight. Jack apparently kept it and had it nestled lovingly inside.
Speaker 2: One of his own shirts. What do you think about this part? Spike was a sweet? Yeah, it was sweet for this movie. It No, it was good.
Speaker 1: It was good.
Speaker 2: It showed it little his heart was there for him all that stuff.
Speaker 1: So it was done really well. It was. They did an amazing job with the scene. With this scene here, it really captured like his had motion.
Speaker 4: The motion was definitely captured, like just from him grabbing, like grabbing on the fabric and pulling.
Speaker 1: It close to himself.
Speaker 4: Like I was like, God, they killing this right here, this, this is this is really really good.
Speaker 2: Watching this, I could tell why they want to watch one hundred. I could tell why they want to watch this.
Speaker 1: One of those type of movies.
Speaker 2: I like this part, but I don't see how they want towards I didn't think the acting was that good, and I definitely don't think the script was good at all, this particular part that Jake, what's the dude name, he's a great actor, Jack, and then the other guy was he fledged Yeah, But I didn't walk away from any of this being like, oh, yeah, they should have definitely won awards, not even realized he loves yeah joker.
Speaker 1: I think that it's safe to assume the parents knew. Yeah, yeah, I assume they did. The dad basically said it.
Speaker 3: He was talking about guys coming out to live together, or Jack was going to have some guy come out.
Speaker 1: The guy and the guy that that that that the stranger things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they ended up having a relationship. Actually, I think that's probably how the wife found out too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the damn the dad was telling because it's like he was just still in mourning shock or whatever, and he was talking about I don't know if it was him or was saying that Jack always talked about having a friend come out and living together on the ranch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember that. Yeah, I don't know a male friend. Yeah, yeah, a male friend. I see.
Speaker 2: I always took it. So I'm confused about this part because he says he says something like, you know, he wanted to be buried on uh broke Back Mountain, but no, he's gonna get buried in the family plot.
Speaker 1: If he knew, why would.
Speaker 2: He be like, yeah, take this motherfucker's as just broke back.
Speaker 1: I don't want this shit around for who he was.
Speaker 3: But he also knew that in this day and age and that time period, they have to be closeted. So I think to protect the family, he just kind of they just kind of kept that to themselves.
Speaker 1: Remember, even the mom was like, we know what broke back is. She said that kind of aggressively too. You don't remember that she did. I believe you, but I don't know that part they knew.
Speaker 4: I think he said to assume that they they knew who who their son was, and the mother always knows.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it seemed like they were saying it without saying it because of you know, it was probably the seventies at that point.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I assumed that they knew. That's why she's like, you can go to his room and all of that. It's like, definitely come back and see us.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 2: That's why I was assuming that they did not know, because if her dad was that mad about her son being gay, why would the wife be like, yeah, come on back.
Speaker 1: On me and see us anytime.
Speaker 4: That's weird because it seemed like one of those like kind of what Kim was lose to, like those those old couples.
Speaker 1: They could be on two.
Speaker 4: Sides of the of the coin, but still like one could have one perspective and the other one have the other one, like, but you just let the other one just kind of live with it.
Speaker 1: My dad was definitely pushing back. Yeah, mom was.
Speaker 2: She was the one like, no, I don't forget what he's talking about. Just you could come back anytime you want to come back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's how I took it, and that's one of the old couples like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when the dad realized I don't put together who he was to Jack, that's why he was like, we bearing his ass here, right.
Speaker 1: You ain't taking his ass nowhere. I know y'all did y'all thing and ic, but no, he's staying here all right.
Speaker 2: So last scene fast forward some years and we see his daughter Alma Alma Junior come to uh Ennis's place to invite him to her wedding. After he agrees to go, she leaves her sweater by accident, and he puts it in the closet.
Speaker 1: Where we find the shirts.
Speaker 2: Now he has Jack's shirt nestled inside one of his shirts and next to it a postcard of Broke Back Mountain.
Speaker 1: And the movie ends with Ennis saying dragon swear.
Speaker 3: To god, Yeah, I don't get down to get the end. It was like, okay, that's it. Yeah, I know it really wasn't.
Speaker 1: Much came in. He wanted to ask what was the significance he's all living alone and he's still a piece of ship. I swear, you're ruined me quit his job again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to go watch his because it's dark, but it looked like he had been doing kind of ship because his daughter was like wedd.
Speaker 1: He was like, no, I'm not gonna go yeah yeah, yeah yeah, And then he changed his mind. He was mourning for that long. Bro, let it go. Dog.
Speaker 2: He he's like a widow, and maybe that's why he's saying, I swear, I swear to God, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't mess me up like I can't move on. I can't move on. I swear I can't move on.
Speaker 2: This is just one of those things that makes me dislike this movie. It's like, Bro, you just left us on this weird cliffhanger just to do It's just man, I don't think it's a cliffhanger. I think it's like he just really he can't move on. I swear to God that that doesn't translate to I can't move on. That doesn't translate to anything. If they're intentionally leaving this very open ended.
Speaker 4: To me, it's not because it's like he's still like he said, he's still alone. He don't even want to go to his daughter's wedding. He's in his trucking double wide trailer or whatever and just looks lonely.
Speaker 1: You can't move on. I'm with you on that part. I'm just not with.
Speaker 2: You on when he says Jack, I swear to God that that automatically is you did this to me and I can't move on. It just doesn't translate. It doesn't that that statement itself doesn't mean anything. So it's just it's just annoying. But Yeah, anybody else got anything to say about this movie?
Speaker 1: The Mexico thing? What was that about? He just wanted to get a fix. Yeah, that's all that was.
Speaker 4: And then Jack brought it up again later talking about Mexico. What was that He was just saying.
Speaker 2: He was saying, we can go to Mexico because he thinks they'd be safe there because he's been going down there fucking around with with with with I guess prostitutes.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm. Sior. Yeah, I hate that.
Speaker 2: I don't like this movie, but I do. I do not like this movie one fucking bit. I don't like the acting, I don't like the story, I don't like the music.
Speaker 1: I think this movie is awful. Man.
Speaker 2: We don't like love stories. I'm I'm cool with love stories. I'm not good with this one. This movie is bad. So that's all I got. If anybody is cool, We're gonna go ahead and end it here. Anybody got anything else they want to say? Good, all right, let us know what y'all thought, and we'll see all next time.
Speaker 1: We're out in peace.
Speaker 2: M