Speaker 1: You guys want to get into this weekend of basketball genius. I am not, and I should be, because if we ever got together, we're very light minded thinkers. Now I'm assuming he's much smarter than me, but you know this to be true. I've never really been the biggest fan of Bill Simmons. And maybe you can find that clip of him talking about the WNBA, because a lot of what he has said about the WNBA are things that I have said about the WNBA. So we're I think we're light minded thinkers. He loves pop culture, that is great, but he also loves New England, and I think New England sucks, and not just a Patriots, but most of it. I think it sucks. And we all got kind of tired of hearing from Bill Simmons about the Patriots and Bill, you know, when the flat Gate and all this stuff happened, we all got sick and tired of hearing that Bill Simmons and the Celtics, and you get sick and tired of hearing about that. Now, if the old school Celtics with Larry Bird, you never get tired of that. But he cultivated himself as not just a basketball guy, but then an all sports guy and then went over into pop culture, and we have similarities in that capacity. So you're right if you're saying you should really like him, because you guys are not equal in smarts, because I'm about as smart as this tabletop, but we are equal in terms of what we like, what we enjoy, whether it's sports or entertainment or movies or television shows or music, we are certainly in that same category. He's just been widely, massively more successful than your good friends sitting right here, and two thumbs up, like Fonzarelli to him for that. However, what he had to say about the WNBA, we'll get to coming up in a little bit, is is accurate. They need new leadership. They do. And what I have said about the WNBA is I want it to be about basketball, and with this leadership, it's never going to be about basketball because it's not like anybody really rallies and then spotlights the talent they have. Because there is talent there. Now it depends on you know, how you view you know talent. If you look at the NBA and the WNBA, they're just simply put, there are massive differences in the talent, but in terms of basketball on whatever level. The WNBA has a ton of stars. Yet the only thing that you ever hear is pissing and moaning about the WNBA. Face it, the only thing you ever hear around here is pissing and moaning about the fever. And the fever. They don't handle it well either, they haven't yet the WNBA. And really that's where it starts. Your your leader has to set the trend and the tone for everybody else, and in this case that has not happened. Thus you constantly find yourself I think Simmons referenced it as constantly stepping into bear traps. They just look unprepared by now. You should have some sort of blueprint or game plan about how to handle it, and they don't act like that. They have the foggiest idea. And oftentimes the Fever have shown the same thing. And I have been a tremendous defender of Stephanie White from a coaching angle, her coaching. Her coaching has been and for the most part, other than stuff that you can go at and just be critical of because she's a coach in general. Anyway, to me, a lot of the shortcomings that we see on the floor comes down to the players and what they do, the mistakes they make, the decision making, the lack of defense, the lack of rebounding, fouling too much, turning the ball over too much. That to me is well out of the control of the head coach. But here's what is at this point in time. If I'm Stephanie White and I had to exit from social media because of all the jackassery, and I haven't heard her on with Jake. I know that she had a really nice relationship with Jake coming on all the time. I don't think we've heard her on Jake with Quarrying Company in a while. And there's reasons behind that, because you get tired of it and you just kind of you hunk her down, if you will, and you try to make everything as normal surrounding basketball as you can. And I thought Saturday afternoon, after the player ejection and what took place in that win ninety eighty six over Chicago, So you had a player for the Sky that basically by the neck tackled Sophie Cunningham. That's really the only way you can put it. Dejane Carrington tackled by the neck Sophie Cunningham, and then you had a lot of the ESPN world coming to her defense and saying, well, look at the past, look how many plays she's made. It was nothing but a reckless and the only thing that could have come out of that there was going to be no defensive play made. It was going it was reckless and all it was going to do was injure somebody because one thing is she's not talented or athletic enough to do that. And that's why when you look around the WNBA, you rarely see block shots unless it's just a taller player standing up with their arms stretched out trying to block somebody down low, or you get a block from coming in from behind. Because the athleticism compared to the block shots that were used to seeing it that that's not part of their game. So the only outcome from that in that trackdown was going to be exactly what we saw, and it was malicious. I don't know about the whole why you guys, can the nerds all go with well, that was wind up there. It was just a reckless, dumb ass play. I don't know if that is in the Is that in the real book? Reckless and dumbass that's what it was. That was a dumb ass play. And all you're going to accomplish you didn't, I mean, score it anyway. You're not going to accomplish getting anything done defensively. All you're going to do is compromise yourself and your team and then you're going to go into the locker room and you're gonna send something out on Instagram and look like an even bigger dumbass. And then with that, you're gonna make your team and your league look like a bunch of dumbasses. That's all you're gonna do. That's all this is accomplished. And that's yet another reason why the WNBA needs new leadership and new guidance. But for Stephanie White, if I were her, and I know, nobody over there is listening, and nobody over there cares, And frankly, that's okay because it's not like you guys are providing a great deal of leadership in the first place. You are basically right there with the WNBA. So I'm just going to hand out this advice and if somebody hears it, so be it. If somebody does it, because you know how I do defend Stephanie White as coach. But as I defend her as a coach, she has to defend her players. These guys are all in the huddle together, and the only thing different in defensively looking at that malicious play is trying to figure out whether there was intent. Who cares. It was reckless and anybody can see that. But once you get around your team, that's who you're with, that's who's playing for you, that's who you're coaching, that's your family. You defend your family. You defend your family. I would expect that every single time, and I think you do it vehemently. You do it like I defend you as a coach when things don't work out, when you don't foul, when you're up three on a final play. You know, I defend the fact there wasn't enough time. I'll defend you as the coach. But you have to defend your team. And it was malicious and it was reckless, and that's all you need. I don't care about the brand of Sophie Cunningham. I don't care about the thoughts of white privilege after the game of carrot. None of that matters. You defend, You huddle up and you stay tight with your team, and the dialogue after that game on Saturday did not speak to the level in which it should have. And I'm not going to try to read the body language of the players, including Caitlin Clark up there. Somebody else can read the body language. I can just tell you you stay tight. That's not tight, and that's what's necessary. I'm Stephanie White. It really wouldn't matter to me. I'm getting it from every single direction. Had I said or taken my advice, if you're Stephanie White, she probably still would be slung with the arrows. It doesn't matter what she does. She's always going to be criticized. But you want to make sure everybody in that locker room, everybody in the huddle, is tight. And that wasn't great. I guess I don't understand what needs to be done. People say, well, they're not getting coached up enough, they're not getting guidance. My god, that's just sports. That's just sports. It's almostly. Can you imagine you imagine going all the way back to the eighties or stuff like this was commonplace. You know, one of the most noted plays in history was that playoff game with the Celtics and the Lakers when Kevin McHale closed line, Kurt Rambus, That's exactly what it was. It was a closed line with a purpose and even and if there was not significant purpose behind it, right, it was again reckless. It was dangerous, and it was dealt with the way that it should have been dealt with, just not by the fever head coach after the game. Can't be doing that stuff, There's zero way. And I had to watch the ESPN. I don't know whoever on the show. You could tell me, Caleb, who are the ones on the show? The WNBA show and they go back to a lot of these track down plays. Listen, this Carrington chick is not Lebron James. Okay, that stuff's not gonna happen. There's zero way these women are going to be able to jump up and discard from the side every single time you're going to make contact, and that's dangerous. Contact has nothing to do with white privilege or now there's no privilege there it like, I'll get that was the easiest call the WNBA and the officials have made this season. Now rescinding the technical that Kaitlyn Clark was the second easiest, but that was the easiest. I don't even know why at this point in time, with the rest of the league and everybody around it, and with all that's coming at her, I don't know why. Stephanie White, who was a fantastic player and a fantastic teammate, you got to get this thing tight. Man, You're leaving loose ends on Saturday afternoon. You don't want that. That is the only way you get through again, the world in which has been created by the fandom of Caitlin Clark and the focus on getting the responses that a lot of those media hijackers out there get off on. They see the response and they go with it. Otherwise they really don't care. I don't care anything about what happens in these games. You think Jason Whitlock's all of a sudden the big WNBA fan, I don't know. He's not. I mean, he's gets response for whatever the hell he does right now. That's it. Nothing else. Otherwise he wouldn't care. And really, if that's what you do, I'm not blaming I'm not blaming any of these guys for what they say. If you want to verbally grift and you know, take people with you, that's the time to do it, and certainly that is the subject matter to do it. But if you're the Fever, you got to tighten up and you've settled it. Kaitlin Clark says all the right things about being about basketball, and you just you got to be hardcore and say those are the types of plays that you absolutely have to eliminate. That was so much more egregious than even the fist to the throat of the neck area of Kaitlyn Clark. You have to come out because nobody else cares about you. Everybody else out there. Once you can, everybody once you can. I think I saw what's his name beck with the Lieutenant governor. You think that dude's ever dribbled basketball in his life? Hell no, his cheeks are way too rosy to be dribbling into basketball. There's zero way he's ever dribbled a basketball. Yet now he wants to Fever. Coach fired. You guys don't need that. Just stay tight with your team. And that didn't get it done. And I will also tell you, even if it's something that you thought was to the detriment of the league, the hell with it. The league's discombobulated as hell. Worry about the people you're going to battle with. Don't worry about the people you're going to battle with and their thoughts or their brands. You coach them, you stay tight with them. I know it's easier said than done, but damn, so many years of hoop and not to recognize that is it's flabbergasting, it really is. So anyway, I know you don't listen over there. I know nobody over there's every been on the show, and that's okay. I don't really care. But my advice again, which you won't hear or you'll leave, is make sure that everybody in that locker room and that huddle is on the same page with you. And you didn't do that. Stay tight. There was zero defense of that defensive move of Carrington, even though you saw that from ESPN and others, and not a way in the world. She's going to track down anybody from behind and block it from behind. And you're lucky the player. You're lucky Sophie Cunningham in this case wasn't injured more than she was. That's a reckless play. You can't have that. Anybody that's ever played basketball understands it. Why don't they.
Speaker 2: The ride with JMV.
Speaker 3: It's grug so it's problem.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Nuety three five and one oh seven five the fan busy rest of the week, Hirst and LaMonte is with me. Coming up on Friday at Pivot Downtown. You know we love the Pivot Balcony bar inside Hiatt Place Downtown. Coming up on Friday, that's before.
Speaker 1: The Fever game and is always a fantastic time. They played Dallas on Friday night. We shall be down there, I believe. Did we not talk to Debbie and then her.
Speaker 3: Friday?
Speaker 1: John, I'm sure they're gonna love the dialogue I have right now. If we do that on Friday, hopefully that changes. Yeah, they may go I don't know what all about that. It's really simple though. That was egregious enough to be incredibly outspoken in the backing of your team and player. That's easy. You don't go into that and go, well, yeah, I don't know they meant to do. And I mean it was a round the neck and reckless regardless of what anybody else thinks. And listen, you're gonna have everybody coming at you regardless. You don't want that with your team, you know, want any misguided feelings regarding those in your huddle pretty simple to me. Fever and New York coming up tomorrow night, so the technical was rescinded. Caitlin Clark sits on seven right now. Now Bill Simmons talking about the leadership or lack thereof the WNBA and there has to be something new is absolutely right now. I've been talking about that and the TV you know, this being all over the map. It's not great. More on that coming up meantime on the Andy More Automotive Group podline. Getting said, I'm assuming to head out to New England for a couple of joint practices and then a gathering for a preseason game number one on Thursday. Steven Holder joins us. Anything that you gather from the release of the official depth charts earlier today with the cults of mind, Steven.
Speaker 3: Not particularly. I think there are I guess it was an admission that this is, you know, a backup quarterback battle. That was an acknowledgment of that, so they stayed out of the weeds on that one. There are a few veterans who are I think listed above some younger players where they're just kind of doing them a solid on that. I feel like, out of respect that the younger player and a lot of those instances is actually ahead, you know, And so I think one example would be better at linebacker, for example, I think he's in their top three linebackers right now. It did not reflect that if you look at the depth chart that they put out today. But that's not that unusual. I'm looking forward here as we're talking. Yeah, that's not totally unusual. But for the first step chart, you know, but I think there are some things there that we know are not going to remain that way, if that makes sense, And that's an example of it.
Speaker 1: Do you where do you point the finger the first part the first position where you go, all right, this doesn't look grow obviously with me, we talked about this before. It's wide receiver. But what do you look at first and say, yeah, hopefully either this is a lot better than what we gather right now, or there is some marked improvement at some point.
Speaker 3: Point. I think I think linebacker will stick with that position. I think they got they're they're a little they're definitely thin there. It's kind of interesting. I asked lou An Arumo, defensive coordinator on Saturday, about that position. His answer was actually kind of honest, for refreshingly honest, and he admitted that, like, you know what, we don't really have a whole lot of guys locked in there yet, and because they keep rotating guys in with the first team, which tells me they don't know who their starters are, right, And so I asked him about that, and he said, well, you know, I think we're going to end up playing a lot of guys there. And he said, you know, we may just have guys kind of do what they're best at. So I asked them, does that mean you're going to have guys sort of specialize in certain roles, you know, not you know, not jack of all trades. But what's the opposite of that, right, it's just guys who were just really good at certain things and rotating in and out. And so he suggested that that's what it's going to look like. And he said the way his justification was for it was, Look, we don't want to overwhelm young guys, so if you can kind of give them a specific role, they maybe can lean into that and do well at that. So that doesn't make sense, but I think we all know that. I think in the best case scenario, you'd like to have your two or three guys and those are your guys, and you know they're going to play all the reps. That is not that's the way you structure it. The way he's talking about it is not the way you draw it up. So that would be out of necessity rather than something that they just prefer.
Speaker 1: So we heard the news we're getting Cam Taylor Britt going back to Friday, And you know, obviously this stems from a situation going back at the beginning of the year before he was signed here, how had he been performing up until that point and in this case missing the first game of the season, being able to do all the preseason stuff, but missing that first game obviously against the Ravens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that he has actually been pretty solid. They like him right now. I would say if the season started today, Oh well, if the season started today, he couldn't play. But just throw that out for a minute, right, if the season started today, I think Kim Taylor Britt is their number three outside corner. So if something happens to Sauce Gardner, Mooney Ward, I think he'd beat the first guy off the bench. That's how I envisioned that right now, the other corner being justin Wally in the slot. So that's the way I see it at the moment, and they feel good about that because I think they've they've had a lack of depth at corner for a couple of years now, right, And you saw it last year just because the number of injuries they had, the death really got tested. I mean, they pulled a couple guys off the couch last year. They made that trade for Makai Blackman, for example. He played a lot of snaps, probably more than way more than he should have, right, And so they have this year you get Wally back in the fold coming back from his injury. I know he's in the slot, but just generally speaking, that's another body. You get Cam Taylor britt as a great example of the kind of signing where it gives you quality depth. They did not have quality depths last year, you know, and so I think this is definitely a step in the right direction. And then you have some younger guys who are fighting it out, and some of them will earn some playing time or earned roster spots, and then others may have to catch on elsewhere. But there's good competition back there. But Cam Taylor brit is the guy I think behind those two big name veterans.
Speaker 1: Stephen Holder of ESPN on ESPN dot coms on the Andy Moro Auto Modich Group potline. We're not talking about super notable names, certainly in free agency. But you know, for some of those defensive guys, from Key to Clemens to Chillery, guys like that, how are the veterans at those defensive positions? Anybody else you want to add in performing so far in camp from your estimation.
Speaker 3: So Arden Key is actually kind of interesting. I had sort of meager expectations for him. Look what we see out there, even when they have pads on, it's not necessarily the real thing. But I would say he has had a presence. I would say he's noticed him and I do think that's promising. I think he is the guy who's probably been outside of LAT too. He's probably the guy who's been the most consistent. LAT two is starting to come on and we're starting to see him flash. He's really creating consistent pressure. I like his chances to take a step this year. I think how big of a step he can take does? I think depend on the guys around him to a degree, right, And so that's going to depend on the Forrest Buckner becoming the Forrest Buckner again. Right, Yesterday was a day where I started to see him flash and that has been a long time coming. I hadn't really seen a lot of that, and he's he's been limited. But anyway, back to those other guys that free agent group you talked about, uh, Clemons. I mean Clemens has been out there with some of the first team reps. I think he's I think he's going to end up being a little bit of a of an edge setter. Not sexy and and not a position where you're going to get a lot of numbers, but he's never had numbers in his career. I think that's kind of been his role. A guy who, you know, set that edge against the run and you know, create create some pass rush when asked. I think that's probably going to be his role. Like we just talked about with linebackers, this could be a situational position. The guy this is not a free agent, but the guy I kind of like and I want to see more of is George Gumms, the rookie defensive end from Florida he actually has, I think flashed pretty consistently, and I am very very intrigued. I think in the preseason that's a guy you better circle circle his name and look for him on Thursday night. He's going to play a lot and we're going to find out if he can do it under the lights. I mean, he's been doing it against the backups, and when they put him out there with the third team, he just wrecks the whole thing. So the second team is a much better measurement for him, and he's flashed there too. So will he get some first team reps? I don't know about that, but I think he's fighting to show that he deserves some playing time and he's going to have opportunities to prove that.
Speaker 1: Steven, the offensive line, certainly the starters we note and we know, but what about what is always necessary really with any team, but certainly magnified with his team. What about the depth of the offensive line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it always gets tested, right, I mean I remember that year, what was it like four or five years ago where all five guys played all seventeen games. I mean, that's that's a one in a million, right, that just doesn't happen. So I think the question is, so they have they have some decent depth. I mean they have the rookie Jalen Farmer is going to, you know, gonna be a guy who can rotate a guard. Dalton Tucker can certainly give him a hand there tackle and I'm looking at it here just to make sure I'm not forgetting anybody tackle I feel less secure about. I guess it's Blake Freeland out of necessity, because they don't really have an obvious answer for that swing tackle. Luke Tanuda is another guy who has played for them, and I would say that wasn't terrible. So I think tackle if they have an injury there a little more nervous, I would say than in the interior. Center. A few questions at center, and Dalton Tucker has and has been the backup center and snapping there, but there have been some mishaps in practice, and not all that has been Anthony Richardson's fault. I mean some of that is on Tucker too, So I think they don't really have a dedicated backup center. You know, for a long time, Danny Pincher was kind of that guy who you knew like center was his strength and he basically was a backup center, but he has moved on and so they're trying to piece that one together, so they kind of got their fingers crossed. I think at center, to be completely honest with.
Speaker 1: You, Stephen Holder of ESPN on espn dot com, joint gatherings, and then obviously the preseason game number one coming up on Thursday four to thirty is when we get started with the Colts pregame huddle coming up on Thursday right here in studio in ninety three to five and one oh seven five the fan. So I didn't go to in depth of this because we basically know what we know regarding Anthony Richardson. But has has this been a really bad start to training camp for him? Just in general terms of how he is playing and not even expectations or any of that, but just in general watching him, has it gotten worse?
Speaker 3: I think my biggest issue has been just the inconsistency. You still see the big throw once in a while, right the flash. He's always had that and he's always going to be capable of that. But on a play to play basis, which is what you need from your backup, you don't need flash as much as you just need you just need completions, I think with your backup quarterback, and he's got to I talked to somebody today and the feedback was just this, like, just get completions and stop. You know, don't play hero ball, right. I think last year he's trying to win the starting job, and so you're out there, you're trying to make plays. You're trying to, you know, go give Alec Pears an opportunity to make a big play. Well, you're not going to be able to do that. Frankly with the guys he's playing with on that second and third team. I mean, they're not going to go make, you know, a Randy Moss play for you. Those guys just that's not who he's playing with, especially with the receiver depth that they have right now. So he's just got to not force stuff and just take the check down, you know, make the easy throw, go to that first read. I mean, you know there are times when he's still holding the ball trying to go for the big play, and I don't think that's what's going to get him this job. I think if he wants to have that number two, he's just got to throw it to the guy who's opening and it's the first read. Throw it to that guy. You know, making the big play is not what they're looking for. So I do think that we saw him start to settle in on Sunday, and I liked what he did in the two minute drive. The two minute drill really drove the ball down and had a big completion position for a touchdown. That's what you want to see. And he has been clutching those situations in the past, but he just got to be more consistent. Is not to say Riley Leonard has been great, but on a play to blate play to play basis a little more consistent than Anthony for sure.
Speaker 1: Stephen Holder of ESPN on ESPN dot com, he is on the Andy Moore Automotive Group potline. The first official for training camp depth chart has been released and Jonathan Taylor got the extension, which I think we were relatively sure was going to happen considering his attitude of personality during this camp prior to that deal. We know about him and he's going to have to shoulder some significant load once again, which we understand, but what about after him? Your thoughts on the backup plan and anything of significance you gather from the first start of camp.
Speaker 3: Here, the guy that I most want to see in preseason is Seth McGowan, the rookie out of Kentucky. This kid is very interesting. He is off to a fantastic start and the coaches, they, I think, are starting to buy in on this. You know, DJ Giddens, I never saw it last year. He just never really got any momentum, no consistent playing time. Obviously, no one gets consistent playing time behind Jonathan Taylor, right, So I'm not breaking any news there, but I thought there were moments where they could have given him Giddins, They could have given him a series here, series there, or maybe let him finish off a game, and they very rarely did do that. So I think that said something about how they feel about him, or in terms of their level of trust with him, whatever it might be. And McGowan, what I love is just he is a north to south runner. Northern South Okay, one cut and he's gone. You know, I don't know that he's the fastest guy, but that's not what he brings to the table. He is a determined runner and the Patriots they're gonna have to tackle this kid in this preseason game because he is a powerful runner, and the other thing that he does is he contributes in the passing game. He's been a really shorthanded receiver when they've checked it down to him or thrown the screens, which they've done. So I think that he's done everything you could have expected, I would say, from a backup running back and has earned so far. At least, I think he's earned the playing time if they if they're miss snaps to have or to be had behind Jonathan Taylor.
Speaker 1: All Right, help the fans out there kind of eyeball on Thursday for the first time, what you have witnessed in Westfield so far, some of the things we haven't discussed that you're looking forward to on Thursday for preseason game one without the fact that it's going to be over and then you're going to be off the preseason game number two. What about preseason game one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you're just looking for He's just looking for some of those young guys to pop a little bit. You know, there's there's opportunity at wide receiver. You know, do those guys which of those guys actually play in this game? You know, I imagine we'll see, you know, the likes of Westbrook Kakine, the Quantred Wills hurt right now, I don't know that he will be back. You won't see Josh downs even if he does practice tomorrow, Like give me a break, right, So, So anyway, my point is there's just a lot of receivers that flash here, a play here or play there. What I am not seeing is consistency. Westbrook Kine, I think has come on and I'm starting to see him make some plays on a more consistent basis. And I think, you know, he's a veteran player, so I'm not surprised by that. Ashton Doolin always makes plays, you know, can he do it consistently? We'll see. So I think receiver is a position to watch. I mentioned McGowan. I really think you're gonna love watching McGowan. I really believe that. And then you already mentioned this, but that backup offensive line like who settles in there and who who? Really he starts to show that they are going to take ownership of those spots and be out in front, you know, be a front runner for that those roster spots.
Speaker 1: Is there going to be an addition wide receiver? Wise at some point. We've often talked about Keenan Allen, but it does seem like that the position is outside of his name dwindling. And the reason why we don't come up with any other names is because it doesn't seem like that there are any other names that are useful on that particular list. So, I mean, would you think that there they plan on going with what they have? Could we all be wrong about this?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm starting to think we are. I will tell you the God's honest truth because it doesn't matter now. I fully expected that Keenan Allen would have been here. Yeah, I don't know, maybe a week ago. Certainly by now, I fully expected him to be signed by the Colts. It's too obvious, right, they were talking imaging style close. He knows the offense. So if you bring a guy in late, you when you want the guy who knows the offense? Right, They did not get off to a great start at wide receiver in camp, so I mean, what more evidence do you need? Right, this is going to happen. I fully expected it was going to happen. The fact that it has not happened already has me really wondering if maybe they're not going to do it. And I trace that I don't. This is me talking, Okay, not a source, but I trace that back to Chris Pout. I think when we talked to him to start training camp. You heard he said that he wanted to kind of take a look at these guys and see what they had at that position. And that is the position he always takes when he is reluctant to make a roster move, right, whether it's the offensive line a few years ago when we were clamoring for them to make a move there, the secondary, I think the last couple of years when they entered the season and we said, you know, your little thin it's gonna be a problem. And behold, we were psychic, right, so very very reminiscent of situations that we've had in recent years. I'm very surprised we're still here.
Speaker 1: I am. It's amazing how often we and the fans have been accurate about things that the general manager has been inaccurate about.
Speaker 3: Steven Well, I have another thought about it. I'll take that a step further. I would go back to the draft. So I thought they had a nice draft, but free agency decisions affect directly affect your draft, right? What did they do in free agency? They locked up their own largely Alec Pierce and Daniel Jones. They did have some defensive signings Cam Tayler Britt you mentioned him too, defensive Ans Ard and Key Michael Clement, etc. So they did some work there, no question. But I think the thing we thought they might opt for in free agency and did not was a wide receiver, and not doing that I think put them in a spot where, Okay, they had to make a choice in the draft, do we finish off this defense and get the rest of what we need because you needed a starting linebacker, you needed a safety, you needed linebackers and all that. Right, So they had some tough calls to make because they had left a lot on their plate for the draft, and the receiver got overlooked. Not like they forgot about it, but I mean they made a conscious decision not to do it because they had other priorities, and that leads us to where we are right now. I'm not saying it was right or wrong, but I'm just saying choices have consequences, right, and so those decisions in previous months that is what has led us to where we are right. Now, this didn't just have overnight. This has been months in the making.
Speaker 1: We are on the way for a week number one to see a heavy dose, are we not? In this case of Lakwan Treadwell and of Westbrook A Kine, Right.
Speaker 3: I guess, I guess. Look, I mean, look Alec Pierce. If Alec he's not coming back this week for all intents and purposes, right, I mean they got one practice and then they got the preseason game. So you're talking about they're back on the practice field Saturday. That is the earliest unless I'm missing something, that would be the earliest you could see Alec Pearce. And I'm not even here to suggest that's going to happen, but let's say absolute best case scenario, he gets back out there when they get back to Indianapolis on Saturday and he's out there, Now, what is that? I mean you're talking about you're less than a month out. He's not in shape, not in football shape. But it's no like knock on him. But he has a lower body injury. Right, he's been hurt for like four months. Okay, the guy's not going to roll out of bed and go run past sauce Gardner on the first day of practice, right, So he has a lot of work to do when he gets back. So what version of Alex Pierce will beginning is my cushion? Is my point? Right? So you couple that with what is remaining of that unit, And no, I don't think this is a good recipe with a quarterback who is out here trying to prove that last year wasn't a flash in the pan, is coming off an Achilles injury, right, shouldn't you position him to do the very best he can do? I don't think they've done that. So maybe they will prove me wrong and we will see.
Speaker 1: So are they approaching this cautiously when he's much more on schedule than a lot of us believe, because we're well equipped now to just not really believe too much as positive surrounding the cold and decision making in general. So do you believe Pierce's situation to be better than what we all may believe it ourselves to be?
Speaker 3: Right now? I mean I would say, yes, they should be careful. Okay, they should be prudent. So I will never knock a team for being prudent with a star player not in August, Okay, you know what I mean, like, you don't go push him out there if he's not ready. However, that being said, they were projecting early in camp. I mean, is it early in camp still? I don't know, So I would say at best we have we have missed the rosier projections. They've missed that already. You know what I mean. It doesn't mean it's like the end of the world, but I mean it's not. It's not best case scenario right now with Alec Pearce. It's not that I don't know if it's worst case scenario, but it's not best case. So you know, are we over analyzing it? Maybe a little bit. He'll be back when he's back. But all I canna tell you is each day that goes by, I would say that the level of concern grows at least a little.
Speaker 1: Steven Holder walking us through familiar territory with the Colt Andy Moore Automotive Group FOTLFE, Hey safe travels to Foxborough and we'll check it again next week and see what the hell happens this week.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well I'm.
Speaker 1: Staying home this week, so you are, Okay, we'll check out next week.
Speaker 3: We'll go I got stuff going on, but I'll be out there for the rest
Speaker 1: Of it all right, Well, hey, we'll still You and I gather next Monday to see what they will happen regardless, Thanks, appreciate you