Speaker 1: Hi Oh, let's go hi oh, let's go oh, Let's go.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Dawsoners Talk one O seven point nine FM, WBT. Brett Jensen here with you on this rainy, stormy Thursday night edition of Breaking with Brett Jensen as we go up until seven o'clock tonight. Seven oh four five one oh seven nine is the telephone number that is also the WBT text line driven by Liberty Buick GMC.
Speaker 2: Boys and girls.
Speaker 3: Make sure you follow me on X at Brett's Underscore Jensen for all the letters to Breaking News in and around the shod area, and make sure you definitely want to follow me tomorrow on X because I think I'm gonna have some pretty big stuff to be putting out there on X tomorrow. So and knocking on wood. The big interviews that I thought I was that I told you about I believe on Tuesday that I think's gonna happen. A person that's been in national news, global news, I think it's happening tomorrow. It as four thirty this afternoon, it's happening now. Anything can happen between now and tomorrow. Emergencies kind of rise here or there. But uh, but Yes, the big, big, big monster sit down interview is scheduled to happen tomorrow, so we'll, like I said, knock on wood, I don't want to jinx myself, and I'm still not gonna tell you what it is just in case, but if it happens, you'll know.
Speaker 2: You'll know by two thirty two o'clock, two o'clock.
Speaker 3: You'll know by two o'clock tomorrow if it's happening, if you follow me on X because that's where I will announce who I did the interview with, for how long and all that good stuff, and it will be airing tomorrow night should it happen, and again should being the key turb should it happen. If it happens, it will air tomorrow night. And so I don't know necessarily how it all came about. These people reached out to me. It wasn't like I put in a request because things like this, ninety nine point nine nine percent of the time if you ask, if you ask a thousand times for a sit down in depth interview, nine and ninety nine times, you'll be denied. So I just didn't even think, like whatever, and uh, clear out of the blue Tuesday morning, I got a phone call and I'm like, oh, okay, didn't see that coming. Didn't have that on my being good card, as they'd like to say. And then yesterday, more conversations, Today, more conversations, and the last thing that I got at about four thirty is we're looking forward to tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I was like, okay, okay.
Speaker 3: So anyways, that's uh, like I said, I'm not gonna tell, but you'll know by about two o'clock tomorrow whether or not it's happening, and you'll know with whom the interview is with or with whom the interview is. So anyways, but yeah, so I just wanted to let you give you guys an update about tomorrow.
Speaker 2: And also i'll have something on our website at.
Speaker 3: WBT dot com about it, like I'll have either a transcription of it like the Q and A so you can read everything unedited or story. My guess is that it's going to be a Q and A and because there the only way, the only time you ever do cues, the only time you ever do cues a Q and A like you publish like everything, here are the questions and then here are the answers. Is when it's an extensive interview. You don't do that for five minutes. It's okay here about anywhere from eight to twenty questions. You don't want to go more than twenty generally, but you don't generally want to be less, you know, less than five.
Speaker 2: Because you can just put that in a story.
Speaker 3: So uh so, yeah, maybe doing that as well, Like there will be something on onto BBT dot com over the weekend, Monday morning, something.
Speaker 2: For that effect.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow night or tomorrow. It will be nearly impossible to do it for tomorrow. And the good news is is that you'll also have things if the interview airs tomorrow night, you'll be able to go back and listen to it onto BBT dot com by going to.
Speaker 2: My show page.
Speaker 3: And I'm sure Bo Bath, Vince Pete, Warnable, I'm sure all of them will be using parts of it or playing parts of.
Speaker 2: It as well.
Speaker 3: And maybe even the fair haired child TJ. Ritchie, maybe he'll even play a little bit of it. So but again, where things can change, and it's a twenty I got a confirmation today, a twenty minute sit down interview with this particular person, and they said, are you going to be bringing a lot of TV cameras. I said, the only camera I'm bringing is my iPhone. That's all I'm bringing is my iPhone.
Speaker 2: I said. There'll be a couple.
Speaker 3: Of clip on microphones, one for him, one for me, and my cell phone maybe together like on a little tripod to get video, because I mean, don't forget your your Why are you gonna use your cell phone?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: You know you do know that your cell phones go in regular ten eighty two K and four K like we're okay, high depth. So anyways, I wanted to give you guys an update because I talked about it on Tuesday and as I talk to you right now at this exact moment in time, it's happening.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: If it doesn't happen, I will tell you who it was. And if it happens, I will tell you obviously who it is. But I don't want to put anything out there in the universe. Just like in the world of baseball, you don't talk about a no hitter or a perfect game while it's actually happening, and so for fear of jinxing it or whatever.
Speaker 2: That's why in the world.
Speaker 3: Of theater they tell you to break a leg instead of saying good luck, they say break a leg, hoping that you do the opposite.
Speaker 2: So we'll see.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna put it out there, but we'll see what happens. All right, when we come back, I do want to talk to you about a North some of the road laws that were passed up in Raleigh yesterday, specifically talking about elections, and Stein talking about how he wants to veto some of these because it's going to quote unquote make it harder for North Canadians to vote. I promise you it's not. I promise you it's not going to make it harder to vote. And he literally used that in an email today to try and raise money. Republicans are trying to take away your right or make it harder for you to vote. No, no, no, no, that is blatantly not true.
Speaker 2: And I'll break it all down for you.
Speaker 3: And don't forget Carolina Panthers got a game. What time is the game tonight? Travers eight o'clock? All right, and I assume it will be Yes, ESPN or whatever it is. But I also assume that it'll be on one of the local TV stations NBC. Okay, there you go, your WC and C channel is where to be. Thank you that for travers. All right, So when we come back the elections, some new election laws that impacts every single person in North Carolina that is voting. But it really doesn't hurt you, despite what Josh Stein says, back to breaking with Brad Jensen taking you up until seven o'clock.
Speaker 2: All right, So we got a lot going on I want to talk about.
Speaker 3: So the hemp thing got all the attention and rightly so on Tuesday, and we spend a lot of time on the show talking about it, and nothing came to pass.
Speaker 2: They didn't even vote on it.
Speaker 3: They'll look at things going back in November, because there are a lot of things that probably needed to be adjusted in that bill, and every time they adjusted, all it's going to do is piss off the marijuana companies.
Speaker 2: Not necessarily sure that's a bad thing.
Speaker 3: But anyways, But so then Wednesday, the House passed other bills, and Stein has basically already said that he'll probably veto at least when or at least some of the reports that I've seen.
Speaker 2: But North Carolina House Bill nine fifty eight is a bill or a law.
Speaker 3: That was passed that alters early voting, and it you know, basically shortens early voting during two stages primaries or or I should say, and municipal elections. So in theory twenty twenty six, twenty twenty eight, thirty thirty two, thirty four to thirty six, you know, number years when you've got Senate and governors and presidents and stuff like that, Congressional early voting still stays in place the same length municipal municipal elections and odd number of years twenty five, twenty seven to twenty nine, they're going to shorten it. The amount of early voting also going to shorten the amount of early voting in primaries. So for instance, and I look this up, they're about eight hundred and fifty thousand registered voters in Mecklenburg County, Okay, about eight hundred and fifty.
Speaker 2: In twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: In the primary for twenty twenty five, which basically decides all the elections in Mecklinburg County because everyone's a Democrat in this county. Right, it decides you know, you're city council and all kinds of stuff like that, right mayor whatever. So the people that were voted in for mayor or like like. When Vy won in her primary in March of twenty twenty five, she essentially became immediately the mayor because there was no way the Republican was going to beat her ever, and probably particular that one.
Speaker 2: So. But out of.
Speaker 3: Mecklimore County had all these primaries, right local municipalities, eight hundred and fifty thousand people could vote. Forty two thousand, I believe, did eight percent.
Speaker 2: Eight percent actually voted. Eight percent of the eligible voters.
Speaker 3: Voted in the primary, which basically decided who was going to be your city council members and your mayor and all that eight percent. But Josh Stein is saying, oh, that's gonna hurt that's gonna hurt people who want to vote early.
Speaker 2: No, it's not. No, it's not.
Speaker 3: Only eight percent actually showed up to vote in the primary. So no, it's not gonna.
Speaker 2: Hurt you at all.
Speaker 3: It's not even going to come close to stopping people. Now, Okay, well what about Brett. What about twenty twenty six. I know a lot of people don't show up to vote in local elections, but what about twenty twenty six and Senate races and congressional races.
Speaker 2: And all that.
Speaker 3: Okay, you had twenty percent show up. No, I'm sorry, fifteen and a half percent showed up. Fifteen percent showed up, So don't tell me it's gonna make it harder for people to vote when they're not showing up to vote anyway. And how many times have you looked? Or I do because I do this. You look at the Mecklenburg County early voting sheets and they do it by day and by precinct like a grid, and you look at it and it'll say this precinct had twenty seven votes today, that precinct had nine votes today. Really, like you're you got to keep it open for nine votes. It also saves the county and the state tons of money, tons and tons of money. So it's they're gonna tell you just Stein's already put it out the emails, trying to raise money to stop the Republicans, because he's already telling you Republicans are trying to make it harder for you to vote because they're sore losers and they want to take away early voting.
Speaker 2: Oh I mean, lest I chucked.
Speaker 3: Republicans control the House, they control the Senate, so probably early voting was going in their way, but it was definitely going their way in the last presidential election.
Speaker 2: Don't want to hear about that.
Speaker 3: And the people that vote with the purple hair early on the first day of early voting, they can vote one week later on the first day of early voting. Or the very stringy, wiry hair, or the very elongated faces that droop and the glasses, those circle glasses or the big thick horn rim glasses like Rachel Maddow liked.
Speaker 2: I can tell you exactly.
Speaker 3: I can see someone walking down the street and there's probably about a ninety percent chance I can go Republican or Democrat just by the look of their face. It's called our DF resting Democrat face as opposed to you know, RBF our DF as a dog Democrat. So yes, So that that was what Stein's probably going to veto. And that's fine because it'll be overridden most likely come March or come November. So that's not a problem. And all it does is just shorten it up, shorten up the voting time. I think you have basically three weeks now to vote. It's like I think it's seventeen eighteen days whatever it is, nineteen days, eighteen nineteen days. Well, now they're just going to shorten it up. Okay, you still get about twelve days to vote. You'll be okay. You'll be okay, despite what Josh Stein and the Democrats tell you. If you want to vote, you'll show up. You got two and a half weeks to do it. You'll find time.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Ranking with Brett Jensen here in.
Speaker 3: This stormy Thursday night edition. As we go up until seven o'clock. And by the way, I had a caller, because you guys know TJ Ritchie, I'll call him TJ and the Bear and we play the play the theme song to TJ.
Speaker 2: And there BJ and the Bear.
Speaker 3: The really really bad eighties TV show but was popular. That doesn't mean anything because there are a lot of bad TV shows that were popular.
Speaker 2: Well that was one of them.
Speaker 3: And I never watched it, like even as a kid, even with a little chimpanzee walking round, I couldn't get into it. I just I just was like, nope, I'm good. So but anyways, the I had a listener say, hey, can you can you take it a little easy on the BJ and the Bear stuff with TJ? Because I was literally named after BJ and the Bear, which I think I got the email and I saw it, I actually laughed. And the funny thing is, this is what I'm about to tell you. Everything true is I swear to everything holy. So I was as a kid, my favorite show was MASH. Yeah, like Duke SA Hazard was all in on DUKESA Hazard, and like obviously a lot of other TV shows, but I really really, really really.
Speaker 2: Liked MASH a lot.
Speaker 3: Like Mash was my show, especially in the early Mash years, like the first three four five years when Frank Burns was there, was like really my favorite, right and so anyways there uh but BJ honeycut was a character obviously on MASH, one of the main two characters, and I liked that show so much. Brett Jensen, I wanted to be called BJ after the character BJ Honeycutt. And the worst part is, and everyone should know this, And if you don't know this, then there's a problem. You can't give yourself a nickname. You're not allowed to give yourself a nickname. You can't do it. Hey, just call me big Cheese or whatever. No, No, I will not actually thank you. I'll call you cheese Whiz. I'll call you big Cheese. Or whatever.
Speaker 2: Call me the rock. No, I will not call you the rock.
Speaker 3: I will will absolutely not maybe Pebble's funstone, but I will not call you the rock. So I tried to organically get it started when I was like twelve, thirteen, fourteen, tried organically, and.
Speaker 2: Nobody would call me BJ. And then.
Speaker 3: About two thousand and six, I was thirty eight thirty six thirty eight thirty six thirty eight. One of the sports media relations people at Clemson for the baseball team, Brian Hennessy is his name. He's still there. Nice guy, but goofy, like just goofy, but nice guy. And he thought calling me BJ would be funny.
Speaker 2: For various reasons. It goes, oh, ho, BJ, what's up? BJ?
Speaker 3: And I'm like, really, dud, Like you're in your thirties, really okay, So no one ever called me that. That's literally the only time in my entire life that happened to me. Like I said, but as a kid, I wanted to be called BJ because of BJ honeycut on mash and Nope, never happened. And looking back, I'm kind of thankful, kind of thankful about that, especially going through high school. Kind of thankful about that. But now I tried. I tried junior high school or middle school. I tried, and it just whatn't happen? So TJ and the Bear, TJ honeycut.
Speaker 2: We'll see, we'll see how it goes, all right. When we come back.
Speaker 3: Your Carolina Panthers have their first preseason game tonight on national television. Just take a quick look at that, not dive deep into it, not minutia. You're not gonna be listening to a sports radio show or anything like that. Just want to discuss it because it means football is here. And oh, by the way, what in the holy blue moon is going on at Chapel Hill again?
Speaker 2: And I won't tell you what I've been.
Speaker 3: Told about the situation involving Belichick's son.
Speaker 2: I can't say that for liable purposes. But it ain't good.
Speaker 3: All right, welcome back to you, breaking with Bret Jenson for a few more minutes until we hand it off to TJ. Honeycut. TJ and the Bear. I'm gonna keep coming up with them. God, I'm gonna keep coming up with them, your fair haired child.
Speaker 2: That's it, all right.
Speaker 3: So in about an hour, almost an hour and eight minutes to be exact, almost to the penny. The I know it's the second, I just say penny, but almost to the second. The Carolina Panthers take on the Arizona Cardinals in the Hall of Fame Game, the annual Hall of Fame preseason game in Can't, Ohio. And yes it's the Carolina Panthers, and it's the first game, and everyone's interested to see what they look like, even though Bryce Young's not playing, and that's smart, I get it. But it's also extra special because of Luke Keighley and he's being inducted this weekend. Now, I this is not favoritism. And anyone who's ever listened to me over the last twenty years on Charlotte Radio, the overwhelming majority of that in sports, they know Brett biased Panthers. That does not exist. Like I'm not fanboy, never have been. You can't be a fanboy when you're covering the team. So but I will say the fact that Luke Keighley wasn't put into the Hall of Fame last year and a first ballot was unbelievably shocking to me. It was a foregone conclusion. Defensive Rookie of the Year. What five time first team All Pro.
Speaker 2: I believe it was.
Speaker 3: These are just off the top of my head trying and remember Defensive Player of the Year. The difference between All Pro and Pro Bowl is this, A lot of people make the Pro Bowl. Dozens and dozens make the Pro Bowl every year, Like you might have three quarterbacks and six wide receivers and a couple of kickers and punters and blah blah blah blah. That's just on one team. That's just on one team. And then you have the other team like back in the day, right when they actually played each other in Hawaii.
Speaker 2: At the Iloha Stadium, which doesn't exist anymore.
Speaker 3: But all Pro means you are the best at your position in the entire NFL.
Speaker 2: They do first team All Pro and second team All Pro.
Speaker 3: They don't divide them up by conferences or anything else.
Speaker 2: They throw them all together.
Speaker 3: Who's the best middle linebacker in the NFL period? And it was Luke Keickley, I believe five straight years.
Speaker 2: I believe. Maybe Travers can double check me on that and look it up. Look up as Luke Keagley's stats real quick.
Speaker 3: But I think he was five time All Pro, which means for five years he was the best player in the NFL at his position, Player of the Year once on defense, Rookie of the Year once on defense.
Speaker 2: Because I think you can only be a rookie once.
Speaker 3: So anyways, he's going in into the Hall of Fame in his second year of eligibility. All Pro First Team twenty thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, seventeen, and eighteen. So it was five times, okay, and the one time he wasn't was when he was injured.
Speaker 2: Okay, got it? So thanks.
Speaker 3: So anyways, now some people say, well, you know his career was a little shorter just because of the concussions, and I was like, don't care. Your five time first team All Pro that automatically gets you into the Hall of Fame, Defensive Player of the Year, defensive Rookie of the Year, Like what are we doing here? And I was on to F and Z earlier in the week and Colin Hoggard I was on his show from ten to twelve and he said, what do you remember about Luke Keighley? And I said, there were a couple of things that I remember about Luke Keighley before he was drafted. Then Duke football coach David Cutcliffe, who is like the Guru of quarterbacks was to the Mannings, you know, Eli and and Peyton and all that.
Speaker 2: Right, Guru to Quarterbacks called Luke Keighley the best past.
Speaker 3: Defending middle linebacker in the history of college football. In the history of college football. He defends the best better than any middle linebacker in the history of football.
Speaker 2: Another thing that stood.
Speaker 3: About Luke Keigley was that all the other players in the NFL.
Speaker 2: You hear all the stories when they talk about Luke Keigley, players from other.
Speaker 3: Teams when they're being interviewed, it's like, dude, we're walking up to the line of scrimmage and Luke Keigley's yelling out, what are plays going to be. He's like, he knew every single play that we were going to run when we were going to run it, and he knew our plays better than some of our offensive linemen knew the plays because that's how much studying he did. And then the other thing that I remember mostly about Luke Keighley. Yes, Luke Keighley is muscular, like he's a big guy, but it does he's not jarring. It's not like you look at him and go, oh my god, Yeah, that's definitely a football player. He just looks like an average guy at the gym. He's not muscular, he's not veiny. Yeah he's a little thick and all that, Yes, stocky, thick, whatever, but he's at between his brain and his ability to run. It was a combination that most people had never seen. Exceptionally smart, athletically gifted. And he wasn't looking like mister America out there with just muscles on his ear lobes, as I like to say. He was just a normal dude that happened to be a little thick and a little muscular. But he wasn't like ripped or cut or veiny or anything like that. Didn't look like he did not look like mister Olympia. He wasn't built like Arnold Schwarzenegger. But yet he was the best in the NFL every single year.
Speaker 2: He was healthy.
Speaker 3: So that's what I remember about Luke Keighley. The induction ceremony is this weekend on ESPN. You can watch it on ESPN and tonight they'll interview Luke Keighley during the game like they do all the new inductees to the Hall of Fame. Drew Brees and a couple others will be inducted. So make sure you watch the game C and C to w CNC, the NBC local station starts at eight o'clock tonight, and yes, the game itself real quick. The only two things that you should care about, the only two things you should care about in tonight's game are the offensive line in the defensive line. Everything else is irrelevant. Is the defensive line getting pressure even if they're backups? And is the offensive line blocking even if they're backups. That's all you should care about. Receivers, linebackers. Defensive backs do not matter. Quarterbacks Canny Pickett do not matter. Just watch the two lines, all right, everyone, that's going to be it for tonight. You got TJ. Honeycutt TJ, and the Bear, TJ. Ritchie all coming up next from seven to nine. My name is Brett Jensen, and you have been listening to Breaking with Brett Jensen. B J.
Speaker 1: Lookag and this is my best friend there