Speaker 1: The Frames per Second Podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to a new episode of the Frames per Second Podcast. My name is Kenneth be and Shortman. In the show, I have Ra and Mike, and there is no Spike. Spike is not here today, but we got you guys covered as we are here to discuss Marvel's new series wonder Man, which is starring I cannot say this.
Speaker 1: Guy, yah yah, just how it's spelled.
Speaker 2: Yahya abdulah Ma team the second.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he has to be. He better be.
Speaker 2: He was Haitchen in the show That'll Be Messed Up, Ben Kingsley and a few others, a few others as well in this one. But you know they were your guys. They were your guys. So we are here to discuss that wonder Man is part of Faces for Marvel and it's part of the Marvel Spotlight banner, which they kept showing that and I haven't looked into exactly what that is.
Speaker 3: I have a gas, but well we'll get there, I guess.
Speaker 1: Nah, we probably won't.
Speaker 4: I think because of what this show was, Marvel Spotlight is probably going to be like shows that aren't like connected to like you know, the overall MCU or something. Maybe because like this wasn't like a comic book hero show. So maybe Marvel Spotlight is going to be shows like this where it's just stuff taking place in the Marvel world, but that just aren't.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's why I assumed me either. Maybe I'll look it up. Well, we're talking about it.
Speaker 5: Attaching it to the the Iron Man.
Speaker 1: World though, Yeah, but you know tomorrow everything's connected, right, so you know. But uh, it's a mini series.
Speaker 2: It's created by Dustin Daniel and Andrew Guest, and it's based on the character uh Rod. I don't know if you know this or may you may have seen it, but wonder Man is actually white in the comics, so yeah, yeah, he's he's.
Speaker 3: Black hair, woke, woke wonder Man.
Speaker 2: And and it was something else that I saw that I thought was interesting.
Speaker 1: Uh. I think originally they wanted to create that.
Speaker 2: It was the television series center on Trevor Slattery, who's been Kingsley character, and you know, Marble's been going all these other changes, so they kind of sheld it and came back to it, and here we are with wonder Man. Rod, what did you think about wonder Man? I thought it was surprisingly decent. Yeah, it looked really whack based on the stuff I was seeing, but I feel like they they pulled something here that could be interesting.
Speaker 5: I think given enough time. And honestly, I always liked the Mandarin. I hated that he was an actor in that movie because I thought the way he presented Mandarin with that voice and stuff, I was like, oh, man, I really liked this character. So it was a little disappointed when he ended up being this goofy actor dude. But I like the way they spun it spun spun it here, and I don't know, I like how they played into him, you know, uh am I trying aspiring to be wonder Man with the backstory or whatever. So no, I thought I thought they did a decent job bringing this together. I was like, oh, they all really made tried to make this work, and it worked to a certain extent for me, he said, trying to make it work. Yeah, because I did not see how it was gonna make this shit work. But no, no, I think they did a decent enough job.
Speaker 1: What about you, Mike, I hate it.
Speaker 4: This was Oh, this was a fucking chore. When I got through the first episode, I was like, Okay, are you serious? And then when they got through the second episode, I was like, are you fucking serious? Did y'all not learn anything from Shield? And I guess not, But apparently it's doing well, so good for Marvel, and I really like yah yah, I like Ben Kingsley. This is not what I was expecting, some fucking sitcom kind of drama.
Speaker 3: Shit. No, No, I didn't like this. I'm sorry you said sitcom.
Speaker 4: You feel like it was like an Absolutely, there were way way too much comic relief.
Speaker 3: It didn't feel serious. There were no stakes.
Speaker 4: So the thing about it is clearly Marvel was trying to make a show that was not a Marvel show. Okay, instead of making this all about his superpowers and all this other shit, we're gonna make it to where he has superpowers, but he's just in this world of a regular ass TV show. I just never gave a fuck about this guy. So no, I did not like this. I was except one episode, which I'm sure we'll get to. But the one episode I thought was brilliant, let's.
Speaker 3: Talk about the same one. I'm PreCure we are. I'm sure we are. The rest of this this was not This is not for me.
Speaker 2: It took all the way to the end the final episode for me to appreciate what they did, and I was like, damn, that was actually pretty good.
Speaker 1: I did enjoy it.
Speaker 2: The first three to four Mike, I was with you because I was like, I don't understand what's going on the tone and stuff. And I think right around five or six, you know, I'm starting I'm asking myself question.
Speaker 1: I'm like, what is this? What are we doing?
Speaker 2: There's powers, there's not powers, there's danger control, there's like what's damage control?
Speaker 1: Like what is happening? And then I started.
Speaker 3: Thinking like, well, Wonder Vision and all.
Speaker 1: This other stuff.
Speaker 2: I was like, well, there's there's shows. So I'm like, where's the powers. Where's somebody throwing some shit? Always see him sucking up walls and shit like that and leaving holes in the ground because he has tempotential rot.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, what is going on?
Speaker 2: But Loki and all these other shows, it's really about like their characters and them telling these sort of stories and they just as the saying goals happen to have powers so.
Speaker 3: Trying to hide them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it reminded me of a like X Men, Like they're trying to live amongst just regular as folks, like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So I I feel.
Speaker 5: The influence of the X Men stuff in this person, like you know, you know, you're trying to hide them because you know, people out to get you and don't accept you for whatever reason, which we see. I think, I think that's the same episode Mike talking about, like that's the reason why, you know. And he just want to be you know, he just want to be normal, like he just want to be in.
Speaker 3: He just want to be normal. He just want to be an actor.
Speaker 5: Obviously he's very into movies and and everything. So I thought it was a really interesting way of telling this story personally and using someone that played as an actor in another movie of Iron Man. So I thought, I was like, oh shit, they they thought this through a little bit.
Speaker 3: I wasn't expecting this.
Speaker 1: They managed working out.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 2: I was like you, I thought it was gonna be whack. I had no interest in seeing it. I was like, what is this shit? This shit is fucking stupid. I did look up Marvel Spotlight. It actually was a come a book anthology that they that ran from seventy one to seventy seven, and then it came back with Volume two seventy nine through eighty one, and they're making basically a live action series evalent of that, and Echo was actually part of the Marvel Spotlight brand.
Speaker 3: This felt bad as Echo.
Speaker 2: So you're right, it's focusing on grounded personal stories rather than interconnected MCU plot lines. So that's what they're doing, and that helps explain this one a little bit further from me.
Speaker 3: But but yeah, the.
Speaker 2: Series opens and it's it's centered around uh, you know, you know, like you were saying, rah insecurity failures, ambitions before it kind of gets into the super power part of it. You know, we have Simon Williams who was an actor with internal battles and not external, so and it really spends a lot of time on him and eventually Trevor Slattery who was the Mandarin and in Iron Man three. Yeah, I don't want to bear the here. Well, Simon Williams a good actor.
Speaker 1: In the show. Yeah, in the in.
Speaker 2: The context of the show, was the character Simon Williams he was.
Speaker 4: Probably He's just an annoying asshole. He thought he knew everything. So him getting kicked off the show, I was like, that's what you get.
Speaker 3: What are you doing an idiot, But.
Speaker 5: Even you, I feel like you can get this type of person this type of personality, right, Like you be in your head about like you said, you O c D. So you be in your head about a lot of ship. I am too to a certain degree. Like I overthink ship all the time. So I get that. Like, especially if you're like a student of acting in movies cinema, yeah, you're gonna be like, oh, yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: Maybe you know I'm thinking, you know, nah, a lot. He was doing a lot actor whatever.
Speaker 5: He was a respected actor though, because you on the American Horror Show or whatever.
Speaker 3: Till he got fired from her.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he got fired, but he was respected, so they respected him, which is why they kind of was trying to listen to him.
Speaker 2: And like, all right, dude, you get I didn't get that at all. He was Yeah, because this character was going to get killed off. He's adding all of this ship on it that didn't need to be there. He was there paying what one hundred dollars a day or whatever. You just there for a day, bro, And you're talking about you know, you think I should pick.
Speaker 3: Up the book what if I had? You're about to die, right, you're dead, You're gone now.
Speaker 1: It was annoying.
Speaker 5: Don't don't get me wrong, it was it was annoying. Yeah, it's interest because there's a like that makes him Does that make him a bad actor?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 1: Well, that's what I was asking.
Speaker 2: We didn't get a chance to see that in episode one because he got you know, but as we eventually move on, I guess, you know, seeing aspects of him acting, you know, in later episodes.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I was just think he was a good actor because when he went in there for that audition he did well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the later episode, Yeah, but I think they did a good job, you know, out the gate kind of letting you know what type of guy he is. Like, he overanalyzes everything, He really thinks things through. He wants to get things right, so he super invests in over in debts and in these characters that he's he's you know, hired to play. And I guess, Mike, you already mentioned it earlier. I think one of the other questions I had was like, did this, now that we've watched the whole thing, feel like a superhero series to you.
Speaker 1: Guys at all? Or yeah, yeah, it didn't. It didn't feel like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I didn't feel like that, but I wasn't mad at that, yes, you know, because I think if it would have been a superhero series for me, I probably wouldn't enjoyed it as much.
Speaker 2: I struggled with it for most of the series, and you know, I just had to come around to what they're giving me and try to understand it and focus more on the characters and less on like you know, laser beams coming out of people eyes and shit like that. But anyway, so episodes, like the first couple of episodes, we got Simon as basically somebody us his own worst enemy. He overthinks spirals, he basically end up self sabotaging himself on this television set. Uh, and his own relationship as well, because he got back home and.
Speaker 1: His girl left.
Speaker 2: So and and she later said that basically described him the same way she left because of those same reasons. You know, we meet Trevor Slattery, who I did not expect to be in here, but you know, he's basically hired by Damage Control to spy on him, and they meet in the movie theater because he's fired, he's going to watch this movie and uh and that's how they meet and they.
Speaker 1: Developed this sort of connection.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to remember because he told him, Trevor told him he was going to audition for the role of Barnerby for wonder Man and not the wonder Man character. And then Simon decided to show up for himself. But he lied and manipulated that whole situation to get there, you know, pretending to be somebody. I guess he is good at the Rock because he damn sure sold that catch the director.
Speaker 1: That he was he was the assistant. How the fuck you believe that?
Speaker 2: But but yeah did Because we're still like the first couple of episodes, did you guys think that Simon came across as like was he simple? Were he were he sympathetic to him? Was he exhausting? Was it like a mixture of both?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think it was a mixture of both. He was exhausting, he was like, shut up, like but no, I like, I like that, it was it was. It was believable to and and I and I liked the guy that plays Mandarin and he was tripping the movie, right, Trevor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Trevor Slattery, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I like that because we didn't know at first that he was working with the with the FIDS or whatever.
Speaker 3: So now, yeah, I like all of this. All of this was good.
Speaker 5: I like the the slow like, uh, what am I trying to say? Conflict right, conflict with wanting to tell on them and not like. I like how they played on that because they're both so passionate about acting. Yeah, like I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mike, Yeah, yeah, Mike.
Speaker 1: It showed early on Mike.
Speaker 5: Like Mike busy, don't ask him no questions.
Speaker 2: I want Mike is showed in like the first two episodes that Simon was definitely a student of the game. He recognized Trevor Slattery from rolls outside of the Manager U and was very complimentary there, you know, uh sharing these experiences or whatnot. And later on when he's auditioning for the role of wonder Man, he actually helped him, you know, kind of uh go nail the role.
Speaker 1: Did you like, what were you suspicious of Trevor early on or you were just kind of okay?
Speaker 3: I wasn't suspicious.
Speaker 4: I was just like, this is corny, Like you met him in a in a in a movie movie theater, and now y'all are homies. Even though he's going for the basically the same at least I thought it was.
Speaker 1: I thought it was too.
Speaker 4: I thought it was going for the same job that you told him about. So he was trying to take your taking our down.
Speaker 2: I think he was because he was trying to hide from him when yeah, I think he was going for the same role.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I wasn't suspicious. I should have been, but I wasn't. I was just like, this relationship is stupid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, y'ah. No, he wanted to be wonder Man. No, he wanted to play as wonder Man.
Speaker 4: But but Ben Kingsley told him about the job. He didn't even know about it, right, but.
Speaker 5: He said he was going to play as Barnabe, but he wanted to play as wonder Man.
Speaker 2: I thought Trevor was trying to play as wonder Man. Yeah, And then I thought Trevor was auditioning for wonder Man because remember, like we found this out later, but go ahead and say it now, Like part of what Trevor was there for was to find He told DC to find something that connects with them, and wonder Man was it. So that's how they that's how we got them all in the same place. So I felt like I thought that he was auditioned for wonder Man and that Simon showed up to audition for the same role.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I see, I thought they were both auditioning for wonder Man movie. But but Simon was going for U, not Simon.
Speaker 2: Trevor was going for Barnaby. I think it turned out that way. Oh okay, but I'm trying to it up now. Uh, and all I'm seeing is that he just told him he was auditioning for von Kovac's remake of the film.
Speaker 1: Uh, but maybe maybe they.
Speaker 5: Weren't specific I assume that they both were going for the same role.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I thought. But you know, that wouldn't make that wouldn't make sense though. Yeah, where you guys to see surprises? The guy from the Matrix here?
Speaker 1: What guy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Joe Panteolani, Pantole Pantole, Lionel. He was the guy that portrayed them in the Matrix. Spoiler portrayed who in the movie The Matrix?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got them, but he said he portrayed them. Who's the them? Who is the guy?
Speaker 1: He was the trader and he was the one flying the ship. Damn.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the guy that the little skinny guy.
Speaker 3: I don't remember even seeing him in this.
Speaker 1: Yep, hold on, I gotta I gotta pull it up.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah he was. He was the one I saw his jobs. Yeah, yeah, he was the one that the house they went to. It was an episode to the house they went to.
Speaker 3: That's him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's the one. He's still tripper jobs. He still had a grudge with him. Bro, you remember them from to a Grudge? Does he play as the captain and Bad Boys? Is that the same guy?
Speaker 3: I'll get my wife semester up. Yes, yeah, seeing him in this, yeah he was.
Speaker 5: He was at the house. He was at the house where they when he auditioned it. We're looking for a place to audition and it ended up going to his house.
Speaker 3: Like a billionaire. He was like a millionaire had all.
Speaker 1: You remember this guy from the Matrix but now you know it now. Oh he was.
Speaker 3: Looking at him on the far right, so we had a bunch of makeup on. I don't know if that was own the house. Yes, I would never have known that that was him. It's his voice. He has a very distinctive Yep.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, because because when he when he opened the door, was like, oh, because I don't know if you probably remember me, probably, but he was like, oh yeah, because Simon complemented him on his role in the Matrix and.
Speaker 1: He was like, you were a third key part in the movie.
Speaker 3: And then did yeah, I didn't even pick that up.
Speaker 2: And then, uh, because Joe was kind of talking because remember he said I made a whole bunch of money.
Speaker 1: Off real estate, and he said a disgusting amount of money.
Speaker 2: So he's kind of going over and over and you know, ragging about it, and Trevor's life became ship because he stole his role. We later found out that he was basically an alcoholic and he basically was in a druggy so he kind of, you know, was self sabotage to himself in a very similar manner to to Simon. So and then Simon was noticing how Joe was basically talking down to Trevor, and that's when he basically cussed Joe out and left and said you're a piece of ship and then he left.
Speaker 1: So and then we get to episode three, which is.
Speaker 2: Pachioma, and that's when we meet Simon's family and we get more information about the family Dyamic.
Speaker 3: So Pakioma.
Speaker 2: Kind of gives us, uh, some information about Simon himself, and we see and meet his mother Martha, his brother Eric, and the rest of the family. You know, his family is I don't believe in Simon. His brother clearly don't. His brother's an asshole. He's trying to get him a job because he got a promotion. His cousins is talking shit to him and his family and the.
Speaker 3: Creole.
Speaker 1: He was like, you know, I gotta understand you, right, Yeah, be.
Speaker 5: Real shit too, Like people don't mean looking at this ship is real careers like artists, actors, stuff like yeah, so I like this, especially for like Haitian or something like that, like no, get a real job, lazy. Uh so I did like this representation or whatever. Shout out to Numa Perry. She's a she was in it. She had a very uh small role. She's like a neighbor, but it was cool to see her in it. She's from that member of Black and Sexy TV. She was one of the she was one of the people from there. It's cool to see.
Speaker 3: Her here Black and Sexy TV.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it came out the same time. It's like that in ye, It's like Insecure. This is that whole crew basically, uh yeah, they all know each other anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so no, I did like this. I did like the It.
Speaker 5: Felt realistic as far as like, you know how family dynamics.
Speaker 3: Yeah, family dynamics. Yeah, yeah, I like this. I like this and it's like a family secret too. Yeah how much how much it was?
Speaker 1: Jerk was Eric?
Speaker 3: His brother, he's a piece of ship man trigger.
Speaker 4: Well nah, we're cool now. So no, this is a few years ago. Yeah, I would have been very triggered he was. He was fucking.
Speaker 3: Annoying, annoying. It's like, man, leave him alone.
Speaker 4: But I did also see his point, like, your mom is fucking giving you money and doing all this ship for you, and you know you had to borrow money from mo to go buy her own gift. That's some trifling that ship for an adult. You know, you do that for your children. But like, come on, bro, you're fucking thirty. But nah, the scene itself was was really well done.
Speaker 3: But yeah, his brother was fucking annoying.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's a lot of tension and stuff.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, we, like you mentioned earlier, Mike was seeing the family dynamics. We're hearing stories of Simon, you know, surviving a fire and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Trevor trying to get into Yeah, yeah, this is annoying to me. Yeah, what wasnn When they just kept dropping this thing and they kept showing like flashbacks, but then they ultimately don't fucking show it. It's like, whoa, all right, yeah, give me something here, guys.
Speaker 2: But yeah, his brother being an asshole, you know the whole time, you know, it laned to her. I felt so bad for the mama Rod when he broke the island.
Speaker 3: She doesn't make him mad. Don't make him mad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they and they knew because they didn't even react, they knew what was going on.
Speaker 5: That was interesting. Yeah, that's what I'm saying that it was like a family secret. And I was like, oh ship they know or whatever. So yeah, I thought that was very interesting.
Speaker 2: I just thought the mom was going to be like devastated. She's so happy about that island.
Speaker 3: And he just destroyed the kitchen in general.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Eric showed no remorse, like you know, your brother is can be a loose cannon, and these are the sort of triggers and you just kept going and going and going. Yeah, and that's what happened. I was like, Who're gonna pay for that ship? You know, not me, Rod. Were you surprised that after all of that, because I thought his other saying was funny when he's like walking around asking people for information and he was asking one of.
Speaker 3: The neighbor I think that is that what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: When she was like, oh, yeah, what do you know about Simon And she was like, well, you know, I've never really liked him that much that one.
Speaker 1: Sh okay.
Speaker 2: She was like, yeah, I always like Airic blah blah blah. He was like, hein't ask you for your preference?
Speaker 5: Was funny customer And she was like right, yeah, she said motherfuckers up.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I thought that that was funny.
Speaker 2: But yeah, he's asking all these questions, and it was something about him breaking that island and maybe seeing his brother act in that way, and also at the end him reacting in such a violent way destroying that alan that meant so much to the mom and then getting in the car and be like yo, because they're waiting on like the callback he sent the tape and stuff like that, not the call back, but they sent the tape, so they're waiting to hear back from Janelle.
Speaker 3: I think that was the name Oh, she was funny. I liked her.
Speaker 1: Yes, I liked her, and I ain't like her at all.
Speaker 3: She was not a good actor. No, I thought she had a really cool comedic element.
Speaker 5: Damn.
Speaker 1: I'm glad she got a job, but real, you.
Speaker 4: Know, I'm glad her ex neighbor got her a job.
Speaker 3: That's how it's out. Oh I liked her, Yeah, I liked her.
Speaker 2: Nah, but they're waiting on her because he sent the tape in we talked about the audition earlier, which he did. Ashley was really good, so Trevor was some good advice, and he's just you know, kind of dumping on Trevor, like, bro, this like this all I got. It ain't gonna work. Maybe Eric is right, et cetera, et cetera. And it really moved Trevor. Where you where where when Trevor got out of the car, did you think he was gonna make the call to d C or he was gonna destroy the audio recording, destroy the audio record?
Speaker 3: Like I said, they showed the conflict there with him.
Speaker 5: I mean he, I mean he was soft soft on on Simon just because like they showed even Trevor like him trying to tell people about his acting.
Speaker 3: Career and it's just not being that interested.
Speaker 5: But Simon shown his interest and he was, you know, he was happy to be recognized, you know what I'm saying. So I think, yeah, I was like, yeah, he gonna uh that is a good point. Everybody else was like, oh really, and not for being the man, but he was the acknowledging for being an actor, just like, Yo, that's dope, you're a really good actor.
Speaker 3: But everybody else was saying, oh, you're the man. So I thought that was cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mike, were you were you surprised that he destroyed the aud they recording.
Speaker 3: Kind of because.
Speaker 4: You I mean, I don't think at this point we knew what they had over him.
Speaker 3: I don't think we did, did we.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they were saying that you would go back to jail basically, but I thought it was more than that.
Speaker 2: It felt like it was more than that. But I don't, Yeah, like you go back to jail.
Speaker 5: It's like you either do this, you ever cooperate with us, or you will go back to jail. Say you got two options. He's like two number two because I don't want.
Speaker 1: To go to jail.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that was it. I mean, that's enough. Ship. They're talking about prison, that's all why he was locked up. Yeah, I don't know. I mean, yeah, I get.
Speaker 5: You, crimes. It was for like, like I said, war crimes and ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it was war crimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'll do it. And he broke out of prison too, Yeah, yeah, because we did. We was in this one when he was arrested at Las. It was one of these episodes he was arrested. It was just a flashback. Yeah, yeah, he was arrested Las and stuff like that. So because even the girl on the lady was talking to on the plane didn't really recognize him like that, So that is a I'm not with him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think this was just too much for me to believe that they just became friends and he cared and all that.
Speaker 3: So it just it didn't move me.
Speaker 5: I was moving by the bond that they were creating. Yeah, personally, I am slightly with Mike. I was surprised.
Speaker 2: I didn't know if I saw enough from the family to make him and from what he was saying to make him be sympathetic to what he was going through sympathetic. Yeah, But in this episode he mentioned something about this guy by the name, but he mentioned door Man. He was like, who the fuck is Doorman? And is this the episode you guys were talking about?
Speaker 3: This episode is great?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Great, yeah, this was This was the one where it was like, all right, this is this is really dope and I was hoping it was going to be an upswing from here, but it gave me a Lanta vibes the way they told it it did. It did feel like a weird superhero version of Atlanta. I like, I liked how it was, you know, black and white, and the main guy, I don't know who he is, but I liked him a lot.
Speaker 3: But yeah, this was a good episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Doormant episode, I think it was good. I think it was placed well with episode four. You kind of teased it and then we get here it's a black guy with powers, so that could be another layer, you know, like you were talking about the X Men thing that we could point to.
Speaker 1: But I think it was more about.
Speaker 2: The fact that this guy, Joe Gadd, Joe Gadd, who I think is a real person, right, I don't know.
Speaker 1: The white guy, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you mean a real person like actors. Yeah, I think he was actually Yeah, I'm trying to figure out what you're trying to say.
Speaker 2: I don't think it was a character in the show. I think Joe is an actual person, Yeah, a real person, like real life. But yeah, this episode really just it kind of we step away from the world and kind of gives us context to what he was talking about. And you know, so it's just about this guy that has the power to just transport people through his body, you know, to other places, almost like, uh.
Speaker 1: What's the one from from X Men?
Speaker 4: From X Men, I was thinking it was like Cloak, Kitty Cloak is good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Cloak is good too.
Speaker 2: Cloak is actually closer, but Cloak actually you go to a darker dimension. But Cloak is actually good because Cloak is black. But but yeah, Kitty Pride is another one.
Speaker 3: But she just phased people.
Speaker 2: Though I don't think you actually go through a dimension to go to another spot. But but yeah, he was he was a door man and he got these powers by touching his goo.
Speaker 3: I don't know why he did that.
Speaker 1: I don't know. There was some rocks con place.
Speaker 2: And he blows up and become this big like celebrity, but one that they make fun of though and not take serious, which I thought was interesting as well. And he gets these powers and he becomes an alcoholic I think Trevor Slattery and he just had a bad day on the job, a bad day of work, right, and uh, they still don't know where Joe gadd is at.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so this this episode worked for you to no, no this one, but I'm already feeling the show as it is.
Speaker 5: But it also gets con text as to why he is the way he is because you wonder, like, Okay, why are you trying to hold him? Like why is this such a bad thing? And why are the damage control people trying to find you or whatever? That's why I say it feels like X Men. But like, so yeah, I would just it just gave more context to Simon's character and why he's so paranoid and why he just doesn't want to reveal his power, especially in the in the realm of being an actor or whatever. Because I think that's when the Doorman act came into place, like no superhero can happen, I mean, no actor can.
Speaker 3: Have super powers or something like that.
Speaker 5: So yeah, yeah, I felt like it was It was a good place when they put it right in the middle of the story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was good.
Speaker 3: Man, it's good. I wonder if they're gonna use this for the X Men or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wonder if this is gonna if this is gonna turn into the Mutant Registration Act that we've already seen in the cartoon and stuff. So I was because I don't know if he's a mutant. I don't know if yah Ya is a mutant. I don't think it ever said.
Speaker 2: They referred to him as as an enhanced Yeah.
Speaker 3: But that just could be a name. I don't I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but from what they said, he had the powers since he was younger, so I assumed he might be a mutant. Also he already had did he already have the powers with it before touching the Goog?
Speaker 1: Or Don got his powers from the Goog?
Speaker 2: Simon what Mike is talking about, had his powers when he was young, right, sorry when.
Speaker 1: The fire broke out, because well, I.
Speaker 2: Think we saw this later as we moving on, Like we saw a little bit more of Simon's childhood and he was being bullied and that's how he became fit sated on wonder Man because his dad had him play hooky and they went to go see this movie.
Speaker 5: Damn, he is from the Marvel Commons too, doman Marvel Commons character often affiliated with Great Lakes Avengers, who possessed his mutabilities.
Speaker 4: He didn't look like he was black, but he was like, literally just black, if I remember correctly, he was just like a black figure.
Speaker 3: That's how he looked.
Speaker 4: He looked like yeah, yeah, they looked he looks like that, but I think in the original comic he looked even goofy.
Speaker 3: He looked like almost like Gumby, but he was black.
Speaker 2: He looks familiar, but I don't. Yeah, the other one looked closer than the one that may have looked for me. But okay, well that's interesting. Yeah, but nice little what they call that? Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: This whole episode was really really cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, especially when Buddy went through him and I knew something bad was about to happen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I did too. It was like, but I ain't know what was gonna mean that though they come up to the other side. Yeah, oh shit.
Speaker 4: I thought he was gonna go through and then he was going to land in like traffic or something.
Speaker 3: You know, But when he just kept throwing up and then they just couldn't find him again.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh wow, like, where do you go?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So wait, I'm trying to what the episode? Now, did they arrest Doorman? Is he in jail? Or what happened to him at the end.
Speaker 2: I don't think they ever really said. I think they just went to the act being passed. I can't remember if they said it or not. You know, we just learned about because we went back to Simon that after that, Okay, what happened?
Speaker 6: You would love to have more content from frames per Second. Become a patron where you can contribute to what we review and discuss. Our Patreon gives the listeners the power to nominate and vote a monthly discussion in film review, while also nominating and voting on weekly solo reviews from each cast member. You also get the opportunity to vote on the publicly released anniversary film, all exclusive to our Patreon. So become a patron at patreon dot com frames per Second where there are two tiers you can choose from. That's patreon dot com forward slash frames per Second.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but but no, it was. It was definitely good. I really enjoyed this one by far the best, probably the best episode of the series.
Speaker 3: It's crazy on that don't have his as.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yep, not even a fucking it's not respectful to yah ya. It's not his fault. Just this episode, yeah, because we see yeah, yeah, I'm not shooting on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, y'all I fuck with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, he was good.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you're right, you're right, Rod, Like his showed us why Simon is the way he is, Like he has the secret now he can't. So it made a lot of it made a lot of damn sense for him being that way. So yeah, five and six, Episodes five and six kind of go together. Uh, Simon and Trevor, they're kind of moving deeper into the audition process. Now episode five, that's the one with the kid on the scooter and the bike.
Speaker 1: At the end of this episode. Let me go back at the end of.
Speaker 2: Episode three, they get the call back and Simon is elated and he's happy and I and yep, and then they went to episode four and then we're episode five. So that's a big bone in the show. I need to make sure I spot like that because it seemed like it was it was a wrap for Simon. We knew he was going to get the call, but he didn't know he was going to get a call, so so it changed everything. And then in episode five, this was by far probably the week is well. I don't know the first one was a setup, but this one, this one was by far in terms of the whole thing.
Speaker 1: I think the weakest.
Speaker 2: To me, this was the one where at the bar they're out celebrating and I can't remember if Ben, who's been sober for thirteen years or Trevor's been otober for thirteen years, is drinking or not, but they kept ordering drinks.
Speaker 1: And then one of the persons.
Speaker 2: That Trevor screwed over came through and needed money for the drugs they gave him, and we really hear how messed up Trevor was because he ordered all kind of shit ate ball, a kind of shit ride took him outside, and Simon has used his powers to rescue him, saving from you know these these guys.
Speaker 3: You got a superpower moment, right he said this the word.
Speaker 2: No, this was this was cool, But we're five episodes.
Speaker 3: Again, the only thing we've seen so far.
Speaker 2: Is him just shaking like this and him creating some kind of weird art on the wall from the explosion.
Speaker 5: Now, I was saying, I know, you said you wish it was more superpowership shown, but I was like, this is the one episode where actually he actually was using him because he didn't want to.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it was the only time we got it though, which again at this point we know why and it made sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I totally got it by now.
Speaker 2: But no, it was good and there were consequences that came from it, and we see why he didn't want to do it, because this damn kids the record and it becomes this old wild goose chase that I honestly felt led to nothing.
Speaker 5: So they got they sent him, Oh yeah, they called him or he wanted to be caught.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the drug dealer house.
Speaker 5: They're at the club, they go to the drug dealer's house or the candy dealer.
Speaker 3: And then did the damn control shows up? That's what shows up? Right, No, it was regular cops, I think, No, I think the regular cops.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah it was police. Yeah it was police that showed up.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, because they're they're you know, yeah, they're yeah exactly, but they're trying to get the bit.
Speaker 1: I'm like, what do we what is this for?
Speaker 5: Like, I don't you know, I don't know. Yeah, you're right, what was the point of this one? I'm trying to remember what was the end goal of this one.
Speaker 1: I don't know. There you have an overview of it. I mean, I'm reading it not now.
Speaker 2: It doesn't really say anything meaningful because he's just trying to get to Esteban's house and they find out Esteban tells Jaden is lying about the whole business that they have, and the drug dealers show up and then they run out of the house and.
Speaker 3: Then they was trying to get ahold of the footage.
Speaker 1: That was it.
Speaker 2: That's maybe maybe its purpose was to show like the urgency of not being discovered, you know, and the consequences of that.
Speaker 3: But either way, because you like this, can't get out.
Speaker 1: This right, right? But yeah, it was weak. But we go to episode six and that's where we.
Speaker 2: You know, they meet up with van Kovac and they van Kovac, you know.
Speaker 1: Have them do a couple of different acting exercises.
Speaker 3: I like this either it was fine.
Speaker 1: It was fine.
Speaker 2: I think in terms of the whole story, I think it's a It's a key part in the story. So I think you needed it more than episode five. I don't feel I felt like episode five and we to listen to people that watched it to give me some insight into it.
Speaker 1: I'm open to change. In my mind, I felt like it didn't really sell a purpose, you know.
Speaker 2: And and but with this one, I think you see Simon's issues play out in real time because remember the first one and throughout a couple of other episodes, he needs to understand these characters in a way that isn't really important.
Speaker 1: Sometimes.
Speaker 2: We saw it in episode one, so he has he's asked the improv and we see Trevor Slattery and this other guy that killed it, this fool get up here and reenact, and.
Speaker 1: He did this whole scene.
Speaker 2: Y'all. I had no idea. And y'all tell me, did anybody know this shit was from Pretty Woman?
Speaker 5: It's not a familiar. When he was doing it, I was like, why does this sound for me? But no, I couldn't fully pinpoint it. But I was just like, man, he's such a student of the fucking game, Like he can't even come up with his own shit.
Speaker 3: He's just really good at reenacting and he's like drinking, Have man of you gott seen Pretty Woman? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I've probably seen bits and pieces. I've never watched the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've seen it one two, Yeah. And when he's doing it, it was like throwing the glass down. I'm like, dang, bro, you're really destroying this man ship like this.
Speaker 3: But all the time everybody looking like like what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was it was Trevor's face that it was like because I had to rewind it, but it was Trevor's face.
Speaker 1: I thought.
Speaker 2: When I first saw it, I was like, Trevor's like, man, you're going too far bro. But then when he said when von Kobe was like, yeah, you just did a scene from Pretty Woman, I'm disappoted, I was.
Speaker 5: Like what because he bodied it right on the outside of that he was bodying.
Speaker 3: He didn't know what. I was like, why are you breaking this man's ship? Like this is this is?
Speaker 4: What are you doing? It's you being fucking extra again, goofy ass.
Speaker 2: But you know, I think because I was wondering how he was going to do because at this point Trevor has helped him so much and he's trying to help him again, and he's about being who you are, be or.
Speaker 1: Think yourself, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 2: And he wasn't doing that again, he was being somebody completely different. But it's also he's also in a situation where he has no control because he has the improv.
Speaker 3: He copped the attitude about it. It's like bro attitude the fu.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, he got caught off our guard and okay, Mike, let me ask you this. So when he was like, hey, I want another shot, and he got up there and he paired him up with the other guy and then he pushed that guy through the face.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they got me.
Speaker 4: But then when it was just a dream, I was like, man, I really don't like this.
Speaker 3: That was crazy.
Speaker 1: They get you through? Nah, I did it? Did that?
Speaker 3: Ship was crazy. It was just weird.
Speaker 4: If there was no blood or anything, like his head was like made a cake or particles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in hindsight, like they got me to I'm not gonna lie because when it happened, because he was like you just a freak, and he just.
Speaker 1: Kept going off like we know, we know, and he punched him. He was like please stop, please stop. I was like, oh, Ship, I was like.
Speaker 3: Oh, I were finally getting somewhere.
Speaker 1: I was thinking the same thing because I was like, okay.
Speaker 2: What are they gonna do now? How they gonna get out of this? What's time I gonna do? How are the bro I was going through all this ship in my head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was drinking. Then I was like, there's no way this could be fucking real. And it wasn't.
Speaker 3: I was like, damn, this was dodoo.
Speaker 2: But you know anyway, Uh, Trevor comes over and you know, he's kind of yeah, he walks out side, he's on the balcony. He's really disappointing himself. And Trevor, can I gets more advice or whatever? Okay, Mike, let me ask you this. At this point, do you think Trevor is being a good mentor to him?
Speaker 4: I think Trevor did as much as he could for what's the wonder man's name again, Simon?
Speaker 3: For Simon.
Speaker 4: If we didn't know about him being shady, I would think he was being a Yeah, I would think he's definitely being a good mentor.
Speaker 2: You don't feel like at this point he destroyed the evidence and then now he's at this point where it seems like he doesn't want to betray Simon and that he's starting to really believe in Simon. Right, So you still because he's shady, You're still not all the way there with him.
Speaker 1: Is assuming the mentorship.
Speaker 4: Role, I'm not all the way there with him because it's a show, and I'm just like, well, there has to be some kind of conflict so he can't have just become good all the way. But I also, honestly, I was so bored by the show. I honestly didn't even really think about it super hard. I was just like, Okay, all right, we're almost to the end, like two more episodes.
Speaker 1: Two more episodes, We almost done with that. Yeah, Rod.
Speaker 2: At this point, I think I was that I was like, you know what, Trevor's really being a good mentor to him in spite of all this stuff. So I was on board with Trevor. Yeah, Yeah, what about you? Yeah, Sam, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I liked the the relationship that they were building with the two, like it was almost like a buddy cop type of situation, but not a buddy cop situation. And Yeah, I just liked that they came from these two separate worlds, but the one thing of acting kind of brought them together. I like this, I want to see what they do with this.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Seven and eight.
Speaker 2: So seven is the Kathy Freeman interview, and again Simon is placed in a situation where things are out of his control and he has to be somebody he's not used to being. We saw that in the previous episode. Now he has to pretend to be somebody that people like. And Rod real quick before I get into other stuff. Did you recognize the guy that was helping him? Where were black Guy? Episode seven? Katherin Freeman, he's a guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's from He's from He's from a couple of different places. He's from Insecure, insecure.
Speaker 2: Yeh, he was in rap shit. He wasn't rap shit. I forgot about rap shit thankfully.
Speaker 5: Brother he plays a Yeah, you're the black guy of the the basically the U the p A.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was on the golf car, but yeah it was a brother. I know that that boy isn't recognized. I'm like, oh that's all that's old boy.
Speaker 1: But it was cool.
Speaker 2: But yeah, So now Simon gotta pretend like.
Speaker 1: You know people.
Speaker 2: He gotta pretend like he didn't go get his own shit. He gotta pretend like you know people birthday. He's completely like being somebody he isn't. I thought this was going to come back to bite him because Kathy Freeman, from what they told us, was really good at seeing through the shit.
Speaker 1: But it didn't. It actually ended up backfire. It actually ended up.
Speaker 2: Getting Trevor Slattery instead, and she was calling him out about being arrested at LATS and all the working for the government.
Speaker 1: She's asking all of these questions, how did you feel.
Speaker 5: About the jump to them being popular after getting the roles because they didn't show that process. They didn't show like, wait what because at this point they're known and popular at this point, like he's wonder man.
Speaker 1: Trevor is I think I really honestly didn't pick up on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's why they wanted to do a piece on him or whatever.
Speaker 1: I thought it was just all marketing promo.
Speaker 5: No, that that's why he had like they were getting him certain food and all that, like he was he was the guy.
Speaker 2: I thought that just came with the person working with this super popular van Kovac director.
Speaker 1: Oh that's what I thought. Popular.
Speaker 5: Maybe you know what, maybe maybe maybe that was it at the point. Yeah, you know, I think you're right, and.
Speaker 1: It was just going to his head, like you know, you know, because he even kind of just started. He used to start of movie. Basically, he's a started movie.
Speaker 2: He had a conversation with his with his girlfriend because Cathy said, yeah, I talked to your girlfriend. He was concerned about his secret. Mike, did you take anything from the conversation she had with with I think it's Vivian, his girlfriend Vivian.
Speaker 4: Where she was like, I've always known secret and stuff like that. H I've always known your secret. You just didn't want to tell me. And I was like, at this moment, I was like, Oh, is this some kind of metaphor for being gay or something, but that it's not.
Speaker 3: It's not.
Speaker 4: This whole time, I was just thinking to myself how boring this show was. I was like, they must be going somewhere. So when they had this conversation, I thought this was going to be leading to some big revelation.
Speaker 3: But it was more so just like I knew you had powers.
Speaker 2: Yeah it sounded like it, you know, yeah, I was, I'm with you. I don't think it was I think you know so it was more about you got powered, you just didn't trust to tell.
Speaker 4: Me that, right, Yeah, right, So I mean it could be a take on you know, you need people around you that you can trust, and he didn't realize he could trust her until it was too late, and she was gone, yeah, and he was and she picked up on the fact that he only hit her up because he knew she was being interviewed. She picked up on that immediately. So he's kind of coming off like a little bit of a douche. Yeah, you know what I mean, because it's like he didn't even reach out to her to apologize for the fact that he fucked the relationship up. Granted she we don't know much about her. She could have been trash too, because she was trying to bounce while he was at but but yeah, I just thought that this conversation was gonna go somewhere tangible instead of just kind of putting it out there that like he's not being emotionally available.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The only other thing I got is just reaffirmed that Simon only cares about Simon.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: And she was clear to point that I had called him myself centered dick. Yep, you know, because here she is, you know, she has a role on severance And he listened, but then he went to this big whole thing about him and it's almost.
Speaker 5: Like he was like, oh damn, yeah, because even when he has flashbacks about it, it's only flashbacks about her helping him.
Speaker 4: Of course she didn't need to help. Apparently she's just fine. She's on fucking Severance. He's on wonder man. Yeah, yeah, cool, she actually did pop up in Severance.
Speaker 3: That would actually be kind of funny.
Speaker 1: I was wondering that she was actually really on there. I don't think the show is kind of being all meta and stuff.
Speaker 2: But anyway, so, yeah, so we get the big reveal from Trevor Or the admission after Kathy, Trevor admitted that, yeah, he had been playing them all all along.
Speaker 1: Was Simon right to feel hurt? I know the answer is yes, what you don't think? So?
Speaker 3: I couldn't vibe with this scene at all, man, at all I was. I couldn't vibe with him, like, you're supposed to be my friend.
Speaker 4: It's like, bro, you met you when he said the family ship, well family, she's like reunion.
Speaker 3: He was like my birthday, that little raggedy birthday party.
Speaker 5: No, so you had a white friend that was just on your side. You thought this motherfucker was cool with you, and then all of a sudden you find out he was trying to get intailed on you for Cop City.
Speaker 4: No, I guess. I guess it was hard for me to take the show seriously because it was just too much stuff on here where it was like, okay, that just felt goofy and silly.
Speaker 3: So when when.
Speaker 4: Yah Yahoo I think is a great actor. When Yah y'all is giving this performance of man, I thought you was my friend. I'm hurt.
Speaker 3: I'm just like, bro, this is the wrong show for this.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I thought they had a bond by this point.
Speaker 1: I did too.
Speaker 2: That's why I asked about the mentorship question earlier, because it's looked like they were really.
Speaker 1: Developing this friendship.
Speaker 3: I'm sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I definitely believed it then, Simon, And that's why he was he was hurt.
Speaker 3: He was because he was hurt.
Speaker 2: And when he was like we was like, man, that's some good acting right there or something. Though he said that's a eli performance.
Speaker 3: I bet your agent that I walked out.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: They had life and death situations where he said his life he thought he was genuine, you know, wanted to meet his family.
Speaker 3: He saved his life.
Speaker 2: Maybe that was the importers of that whack episode, just them being in that situation together to kind of create a closer bond.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, life, yeah that part. I wasn't even talking about that.
Speaker 5: I was talking about the when when he was fighting the guys outside and he revealed his power.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah, well yeah yeah, but yeah that's not the same episode. Yeah episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they changed him after that, yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, damn.
Speaker 5: Oh that's right, because I was telling you, like, oh, that was some action ship but yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I think they was. Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 5: I think they were using all that to show the bond and what they both are willing to sacrifice. He was like, I was willing to sacrifice. We didn't see it. The whole time. He's been trying to trying to not reveal his powers it, but in this moment he was just like fuck it, I'll do it for him or whatever.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and then for you to just try to fund me over in the end, like, yeah, that's fucked up.
Speaker 5: I was like, damn, damn, that's messed up. Yeah, Like they nailed that moment A being so hard on the show man.
Speaker 3: I just don't understand.
Speaker 1: What did you want.
Speaker 3: I didn't want anything. I didn't want to watch this.
Speaker 4: I didn't want to see Ben Kingsley and yah Ya in something like this. I didn't want anything. Only positive I can give is the fact that episodes were fucking thirty five minutes long.
Speaker 5: I got you, No, that was I mean, yeah, I couldn't. I couldn't do this if the episodes were hour I will say that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, episodes are an hour long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they definitely did a good job of getting us in and out. But we saw like a very similar situation the Doorman, which is why the episode was so good kind of show like, because Simon walked out, he got mad, and he just blew up and everything fall apart, hit com dc uh and he's basically busted.
Speaker 1: All right, Mike.
Speaker 2: Did you like when he called the mom and did you feel this scene?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I I, for some reason, I felt the connection between him and his mother more than I felt it between him and the Mandarin. So him calling his mama, that's what we do when we're in trouble. I was like, okay, yeah, that was cool. And I did like him losing control and blowing the building up and all that, But then I was just like, how are you gonna get out of this bro?
Speaker 1: Same?
Speaker 3: How are you gonna get out of this one?
Speaker 1: Same?
Speaker 2: And the Mandarin took the fall, yeah, which I was confused by that because I'm like, okay, and I guess he had to take the wind, which is what he said, because I'm like, bro, you know, getting down will to matter and do that now the manneran sold it, but I'm like, and I guess he had to take it. But I'm like, your whole objective was to get Simon. This is a Simon and I know he made with his boss earlier.
Speaker 1: So I don't know.
Speaker 2: The DC whole thing was a little bit confusing. It was just like kind of there, yeah, to kind of push Trevor to do what he was doing. But nevertheless Manderin took the fall. But yeah, Ron, I did like this scene. And you could tell Rad that the mom picked up immediately on what was happening because he had a lot earlier to her about American horror story.
Speaker 1: Yea, So did you did you feel this this thing?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I liked it. Yeah, I like that called him mommy.
Speaker 5: Just shows like somebody big and tough steal of vulnerable ship, a running mom you know what I'm saying, so I did like that aspect as well.
Speaker 2: Uh So pretty much we at the end. So basically what happens from here. The movie goes out, it becomes a success. They're popular, yes, yes, now.
Speaker 1: They're they're extremely popular. So he's the big stuff. The brother is proud of him.
Speaker 2: Now I should mention that Trevor Simon was concerned about the brother and what he would say in the interview to Kathy Friedman.
Speaker 3: Saying positive things about yep, yeah.
Speaker 1: Which was which was good. Yeah, it was nice. But what is he gonna say?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: His brother made it right, so you know.
Speaker 2: Now back then you want me right right?
Speaker 1: So that big success.
Speaker 2: And then Simon goes to meet some guy named Chuck Eastwood.
Speaker 5: Before you get there, this is the callback to the Matrix guy. He got the role over, yes, over, because Trevor was in jail. Trevor was in jail, ended up getting the role as Barnaby, so end up getting this getting this job again.
Speaker 3: I just.
Speaker 2: I thought that was crazy. Uh So, yeah, so now we had Chuck Eastman. He said he's there at the interview for a role. So he spending time with the people, and I like to slow reveal here.
Speaker 1: You know what when when? When it was happening, I wrote down because.
Speaker 2: As I was taking notes and I was watching it, I was like, is he going to break him out?
Speaker 3: This is what y'all thought.
Speaker 4: The second he showed up at his door, I was like, that's a security guard for the prison. Because the scene before that, I forgot what somebody said something to him that referenced Trevor. So it made it very clear that they were saying, like, you should kind of feel bad for Trevor.
Speaker 3: So the very next scene.
Speaker 4: He's just like, I'm practicing for this role and I just want to follow you around.
Speaker 3: I was like, Oh, he's a security guard. He's a fucking security guard.
Speaker 5: Wow, Like I would have never got that, Like because because he's such a successful actor, now he got the role he wanted, Like, why would you risk this in this.
Speaker 4: Moment because of the scene before that somebody said something about Trevor.
Speaker 3: Oh maybe I missed that.
Speaker 4: I forget what it was, but there was some scene right before this one that reference Trevor.
Speaker 3: Interesting, so yes, I must have missed that.
Speaker 4: I was like, Oh, he's going He's going to break him out because I was even thinking earlier than that when it made it seem like, oh, it been like a year or something and dude's been in jail.
Speaker 3: I was like, you didn't go break him out? Whole ass? Motherfuck?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 2: He felt betrayed while we gonna go get him out because he him sacrificing himself for you kind of evens y'all out.
Speaker 3: But so I was like, you're gonna lead the man in jail.
Speaker 4: You a whole hole a star now? Shit, he a star hole. He hit him with that Tracy Morgan's I didn't do that right? He said, what's that got to do with me? I remember you, I remember you. I didn't know Rod, but I definitely wrote it down.
Speaker 2: I said, there's no way he's going to break him out because the reason why it was a question, not a declarative, like I didn't know, because I was like, So, I was like, because of the reason you just said, you are a star now, why would you go break him out of risk everything?
Speaker 5: You're a high profile actor now. And I was like, there's no way he's going to do this. And of course he did. And the way they slowly.
Speaker 2: Started to do it, I'm here, you know, I can't know for the role and blah blah blah, and then something Chuck said. He was like, oh, yeah, I got you in and your name is Alfonso.
Speaker 3: That was kind of funny.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And the way I looked at him when he said it was funny, like racist motherfucker.
Speaker 4: The only thing that kind of bugged me was this whole show started out with damage control keeping tabs on him. How was he able to go back to damage control and go in there?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 5: That was that, but it's the it's the whole Marvel trope though you're throwing a.
Speaker 3: Hat and somebody else.
Speaker 4: But even before that, Yeah, specifically, Marvel did that a lot.
Speaker 3: Got got captain Captain America ship.
Speaker 2: Where they keeping track of him with was Trevor. How they managed to keep track of him and not necessarily.
Speaker 4: Even if it was Trevor. Once Trevor was gone, they knew where he was.
Speaker 1: They should have been keeping tabs on him anyway.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, so they couldn't after that point because I don't think they had Oh yeah, yeah, you remember the captain. Yeah that he couldn't do it anymore. He had he had a superior that was allowing him to keep track on Trevor. But when but once they got the Mandol.
Speaker 1: The case was closed.
Speaker 3: The case is closed. They couldn't.
Speaker 1: They couldn't. He could see that, he can devote resources to that.
Speaker 4: That's why I didn't like any of this, because it was like he he blew the building up.
Speaker 3: You as damage control?
Speaker 4: No, goddamn well that was not Trevor, you know that was yeah, yeah, Simon.
Speaker 3: So why did you even close the case because it wasn't him is a superior? Why did the superior close the case?
Speaker 4: If this is damaged control and the whole point is you're keeping track of enhanced humans, why would you close the case when you know, damn well, he just blew a building up.
Speaker 3: Because they rather than Mandarin. That's why he was saying.
Speaker 5: He's like, because the Mandarins ship was way worse than what the threat of Simon.
Speaker 1: They could have thrown them, no what because he's a known villain.
Speaker 3: Everybody knows him. Know.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying is that they could have thrown the Mandarin in jail at any point, because yeah, the man who broke out of jail, and the only reason the manner was helping them is because they were like, we can put you back in jail.
Speaker 3: He didn't.
Speaker 1: He didn't.
Speaker 5: He didn't break out of jail. He got he got a less he got a lesson.
Speaker 3: Case he broke out of jail.
Speaker 1: Kathley broke out.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, he didn't. They said that. He said, I didn't break out. I was released, is what?
Speaker 4: But why would he say that if why would he even have a reason to say that if somebody else did.
Speaker 3: A trial, he went through the trial and he won.
Speaker 4: Okay, fine, don't I don't want to get stuck on that part. Let's say he was released. They were blackmailing him for the entire show, saying, we will throw you back in jail if you don't help us. So they could have thrown him back in jail at any point. So why would you wait until the end of the show. You know, damn well, wonder Man just blew a building up, and then you go ahead and take Mandarin back in when you know Mandarin.
Speaker 3: Didn't do it.
Speaker 4: It doesn't make any sense to me now, And this is not I I'm not shitting on the show and saying it doesn't make any sense. I'm assuming I must have missed something because this shit made no sense. You took Mandarin back to jail and then you did not even bother to keep tabs on wonder Man even though the entire show started, because you were keeping tabs on wonder Man. So you let wonder Man go, go find this security guard guy, sneak back into your building and break dude out. What y'all motherfuckers are? Sorry as shit, they were. I must have we must have missed something.
Speaker 3: You had to have.
Speaker 2: No, you make a fairly good point, like if I shot at Bail, it's like we can't track him because he's a Hollywood superstar now, But nah, you know he's a threat because you're doing research on him. They're talking about eels and stuff when he's walking through, so you're still looking for him and you know what he can do.
Speaker 1: So I don't know why they didn't know he was there and even when.
Speaker 2: He drove by, But I guess all black people look like because he looked like he was like, hey, you look for men, even though the other guy recognized him, Like right right, there's no way Denzel can tell you that I'm just doing karaoke.
Speaker 3: Well you think John David Washington did get by no them teeth?
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think who else?
Speaker 5: Well they would again, they were making it. That's the whole Marvel trope. And when they put on the hat there automatically I feel you. But you're in this big successful wonder Man movie. Captain America.
Speaker 1: Bruh.
Speaker 5: They show him walking through buildings with a hat on, and nobody recognized who Captain America is just.
Speaker 3: Because he has on the hat.
Speaker 4: I can give it that ball, Yeah, I can say, Okay, find y'all didn't recognize him. I cannot give it the bail of y'all just stopped surveilling him at all. This They were talking about how dangerous he was two episodes prior. He's really dangerous, so y'all just stopped tracking him. Yeah, there has to be so think I'm missing but I'm not trying to go back and watch no more it is.
Speaker 1: I don't think you. I don't think you missed.
Speaker 3: That just seems like whack writing. I don't, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they probably dropped the ball there and they just wanted to just get him out, you know, And I think that was it.
Speaker 1: It was just that simple.
Speaker 2: We're not going to kind of explain how or why or any logic of how he's managed to come to this place this wherever they were, you can't track that, like you would think there would be some type of machine that can pick up their extra ions in the in the city state or wherever they were at.
Speaker 4: But you know, yeah, this just this just this was way too convenient even for Marvel.
Speaker 1: But and there was no guards there. He just walked right in because he was with the guard I know, but.
Speaker 2: Still there were no other security guards for the Mandarin, Like you know, It's just it was a very unsecure facility, so it's in a remote place. Maybe they didn't feel the need, maybe they know the Mandery don't really have power, and then per see them a threat, not thinking that Simon's gonna come break him out of jail anyway.
Speaker 4: But I think you would also assume that they're keeping people with powers there because it's it's damage control. And when Simon's walking down the hall, he's walking by these these prison rooms, and I'm assuming there's like real people in there, like powerful people should be, should be because it's damage control. But yeah, there's no guards watching. I let that go. But him just getting to the thing and then being like, hold on to me, I'm gonna fly u.
Speaker 3: Out of here. And I was like, are y'all serious about to end like this?
Speaker 1: But that was the part that I did, like, did or didn't? I did? I did?
Speaker 2: I did given even even with the critiques. I acknowledged the critiques about you know, them not keeping track of him, that is an issue. But I was like, oh, we finally hear it was like the full story and he went back to save his friend.
Speaker 1: I was like, I'm with you. Hi'm like, man, you're really gonna leave his dude in jail like that.
Speaker 3: I knew he wasn't gonna do that. I was, He's gonna go get him out. But then I was left with the question, is Simon a villain?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: I mean I broke the Mandarin out of jail? Who is who was covered on national television of destroying.
Speaker 1: A Hollywood place?
Speaker 3: Oh you mean villain?
Speaker 4: To yes, in the context of the show, yeah I would, I would imagine. Well, but yeah, but they can't prove it. That was the other thing too, that because the cameras didn't work, so there's no proof that he did it.
Speaker 1: All. They have the ion, the traces of Ion.
Speaker 3: Right, and they can't use that to prove it. With him.
Speaker 4: The only thing they have is buddy the white guy that let him in and he bought him off.
Speaker 3: He bought him off.
Speaker 4: So there's you know, now, can they threaten to like throw you in jail if you don't tell us? I would assume yes, you have direct like you let somebody in that broke our prisoner out. I don't give a fuck how much money you have. We're gonna throw you in jail if you don't tell us. So that was the other thing I was thinking at the end of the show, I was like, you just ruined this fucking guy's life.
Speaker 3: I was thinking the same.
Speaker 4: This guy was binding his own fucking business.
Speaker 3: Yo.
Speaker 4: Black ass showed up and said, I'm gonna use you to break my friend out of jail. Here's a couple thousand dollars. That's fucking foul. That's foul. Now this dude might go to jail because of you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was really like at the end of this, I was like, I don't understand what the fuck did I just watch?
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: I'm really I'm happy for people, but I was really surprised by the praise. I thought this was as bad as she Hulk, but a lot of people seem to be loving it.
Speaker 3: So that's wonderful for Marvel.
Speaker 4: I'm happy for Yeah, yeah, I'm happy for Ben Kingsley because he's an incredible actor. But this shit, no, sir, no, ma'am, I do not need a season two. I don't really need to see what you're gonna do to Doomsday. The dudes, they ain't gonna know. He ain't gonna know what to do when y'all y'all show up, Doctor Due, ain't gonna know what the fuck to do when wonder Man show up, busting with them ions and ship, I got you boy doing monologues and whatnot.
Speaker 3: The fucking Festbian Hero showed that he was he was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, apparently he's pretty pretty powerful. Like the back out of that like that. Yeah, well, well well we'll close out. Yeah, any final thoughts as we close out?
Speaker 5: No, I just looked up the whole Mandarin ship. Yeah, it's apparently like a Marvel one shot, fourteen minute serie thing about the Mandarins call all hell the King, and I guess that's where he gets broken out. So I guess that's a call back for you know, to that. I was like, oh shit, I never knew this existed. Came out in twenty fourteen. It seems like it's pretty. It's on, It's on, It's on Disney. If anybody, it's called Marvel one shot all hell machine.
Speaker 3: I didn't see that one, but I do.
Speaker 2: I have watched some of the other stuff that they have, but I can't see that one.
Speaker 3: It's like fourteen minutes long. Yiod Nope. May you get context to this? I'm pretty sure it does.
Speaker 4: I don't need context. Y'all just got telling me how to fuck. Y'all didn't know this motherfucker was walking around hat the hat man. The hat broke all the tracers and stuff too. Maybe they can't trace him because the his ion powers break the tracers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they showed that.
Speaker 1: No, no, it just broke the camp campus.
Speaker 3: He's talking about the tracers track.
Speaker 1: Either way, I go, I like you watching it.
Speaker 2: Halfway through, I was like, when I saw nothing like Marvel has ever done, Like.
Speaker 1: What are they talking about?
Speaker 3: It's kind of not right.
Speaker 2: When I got to the end, I was like, oh, like I needed I was telling them I needed all episodes for this thing. I needed the complete story for this thing to work for me because separately, yeah, no, But when.
Speaker 1: I got to the end, I was like oh, okay, from here to here cool. I like what they did, a.
Speaker 2: Complete one shot story, and I'm good. I'm trying not to ask how does he fit into the bigger Marvel Doomsday and all the other shit.
Speaker 1: I'm just good what we got. Let's move on.
Speaker 4: He didn't say wonder Man will returning Doomsday, so I'm assuming wonder Man is out.
Speaker 1: Give me Trevor off somewhere.
Speaker 3: He's not a hero.
Speaker 4: The second he hear oh the mask, motherfucker fighting, I'm not going over there.
Speaker 3: Why would I go help?
Speaker 1: Nah?
Speaker 3: Bro?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but no, y'all.
Speaker 3: Can have this. I'm sorry, but cocudos. People that liked it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was really surprised until I finished it how many people were really enjoying it.
Speaker 1: I thought they were just I thought they were lying. Honestly.
Speaker 4: I just went to Twitter because I didn't want to watch it. I went to Twitter and everyone was like, man, wonder Man is great. I was like, what really?
Speaker 2: I thought they were just saying because he was black. But maybe they will leave it there, man, unlike Malaya. Damn, we'll leave it there.
Speaker 1: Man, We'll catch you any closing dollars boys, get out of there.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 5: No, I personally enjoyed it, and I'd be curious to see what they do with this. Yeah, yeah, because it was different. It was different. Yeah, I'll be curious, man. And I you know, I want the representation because I did not like iron Hart.
Speaker 4: I liked iron Heart more than this, really, absolutely, and I did not like iron Heart at all.
Speaker 3: Damn.
Speaker 2: I'm not like iron Hard hard Yeah, alright, man, Well we'll leave it there.
Speaker 1: Man, we'll get you guys next time. We off peace.
Speaker 3: Mike don't like black superheroes. I don't