Speaker 1: Why from vall Hartbeiner and the Crossroads of America. It's Tony Katz today. The vast majority of people in America know nothing about the Great Barrington Declaration. And the reason they don't know about it is because, well, it didn't get much play. Oh it was outrageously important. It was doctors and health professionals and scientists saying, you know what we're doing regarding COVID. This was in the middle of COVID, in the heat of COVID. This is not in any way smart or proper or good. This is a horrible way to go about things. We don't know what doctor Fauci or doctor Bergs or any of these other people pretend that they are doing, but they're going to hurt a lot of people. There's a better way to do this. And as you know, and I know, and we know, many of those messages got silenced, whether it be from some of the leading doctors and scientists and health professionals, or whether it be you asking a basic question on social media. Tony, Tony Katz today, good to be with you. Well. In the Treasure Trove of Things, the Senator Ran Paul released from the Diary of Anthony Fauci, Doctor Anthony Fauci emails, etc. Was this notification? You can find it. I've got it over at tonykats dot com. This email that Fauci sent to doctor Deborah Burks, you know, the one who wears the scarves, asking her to come out against the Great Barrington Declaration. Phil Magnus joins me right now. His work is at the Independent Institute, where he is a Senior Fellow and the David J. Threaux Chair in Political Economy. He also works with the American Institute for Economic Research, where he was formerly the fa Hiak Share in Economics at Economic History, which means he knows a lot of things that we don't, which is good because this does have a lot of economic connotations to it. He is also the author of the sixteen nineteen project Myth and Cracks in the Ivory Tower The Moral Mess of Higher Education, both of which touch on the concept of what it is we are told versus what it is that is. Phil Magnus, thanks for taking the time. I appreciate it. You got a heck of a resume there. But I want to discuss the Great Barrington Declaration. Let's start where we start, which is what is the Great Barrington Declaration.
Speaker 2: Absolutely so I was one of a very small number of people that was actually in the room when the thing was signed in October twenty twenty. And this was a document basically challenging the idea that lockdowns were the way to deal with the pandemic, that pointed out that lockdowns not only were on a very swim evidentiary basis they didn't work, but on top of that, they cost all sorts of social harms, economic harms. They put people out of work, caused mental health issues, kept kids out of schools. And this was a document that came together during the second wave of COVID. If you remember, in fall twenty twenty, the cases were ticking up again and all of the people who had locked us down back in the spring started revisiting those ideas, and in some cases many states and many countries are in the world, they did re enact lockdowns again in the fall of twenty twenty. But what happened is we got a group of scientists together, and this was Jay Bodicheria, who's now Fauci's replacement boss figure at the NIH. Donald Trump appointed him in part because of his reputation entered this Martin Koldorf of Harvard at the time, and Sinetric up to of Oxford. So three physicians came together, we held a conference on the case against lockdowns, and they articulated those principles in a short to say summary statement to challenge the return of this policy that Fauci and Berks and some of the other figures in the so called public health establishment were pushing at the time.
Speaker 1: One of the things the Great Barrington Declaration states, and Great Barrington is where air is located. Correct, that's the specific town that it's in. It reads coming from both the left and right, and around the world, we have devoted our careers to protecting people. Current lockdown policies are producing devastating effects on short and long term public health. The result, to name a few, include lower childhood vaccination rates worse than cardiovascular disease outcomes, fewer cancer screenings, and deteriorating mental health lead into greater excess mortality in years to come, with the working class in younger members of society carrying the heaviest burden. Keeping students out of school is a grave injustice. When we think of the time October twenty twenty as you're describing it, sir. This was a very near radical thing to say everything we're hearing from on high is wrong. It's a danger. Let us say so it gets signed. What was the reaction and the response to the Great Barrington Declaration.
Speaker 2: Initially it was very positive. It kind of went viral on the internet, got picked up in some major news media sources. I think the Wall Street Journal covered it. Fox News picked it up, and they pointed out that this says, finally somebody is challenging Anthony Fauci and this policy that he has been pushing for several months now that doesn't seem to be working, doesn't seem to be addressing the pandemic, and oh, by the way, it has all these other costs and consequences. So that was the initial reactions, generally positive, kind of recognizing, hey, we could finally have the scientific debate we were denied in the spring. And then all of a sudden, this is probably about three or four days after the decoration was signed, the media turned outright hostile against it, attacks on the authors, calling them frings, epidemiologists. We got deboosted on the Google links, Google searches from it. It used to appear on the top page along with news media coverage of it, and then suddenly, all of a sudden, it's on page four behind crazy conspiracy blogs announcing the Great Bearington Declaration is going to kill us all. So very rapid switch in the public discussion around it, and it was kind of mystifying at the time of why that had happened, because all we were asking for was a public debate over the science, a public debate over whether lockdowns actually did what they promised to do.
Speaker 1: Talking to Phil Magnus, Senior fellow at the Independent Institute, David J. Throwhare and political economy and his work with Aier the American Institute for Economic Research, where he was formerly the Fa Hyak Chair in Economics and Economic History, and we could certainly tie in a lot of what we saw in the COVID days to what we have seen in economic reality today. But there's also an economic reality of what we have done to generations and what it is we were doing in trying to from other groups silencing this kind of talk you talk about, all of a sudden it was removed from search engines, etc. This brings us to this email that doctor Fauci sent out to Deborah Burks saying, so, just a heads up. Over the past week, I've come out very strongly publicly against the Great Barrington Declaration. This was from October sixteenth, twenty twenty, and asking her to do the same. To come out against this. In a world of so called science, people can be hey, I disagree. What was it like for him to come out against it? How did that play out?
Speaker 2: Well, we found out after the fact. You know, all this sudden explosion of hate and demonization that was occurring around the Great Bearrington Declaration, it actually had a cause, and Anthony Fauci was a major player in that cause. Filed a Freedom of Information Act request with the NIH office where Fauci worked, way back in twenty twenty one, and it actually kind of opened the door to looking into this. So all the committee investigation that Ran Paul has pursued ever since then, a couple of the lawsuits around it. Kind of the starting point was the discovery of an email, and this is an email from Fauci's boss at the time, Francis Collins, to him saying, this Great Barrington Declaration things going around. It has all these fringe epidemiologists that are challenging lockdowns and colins ordered Fauci said, I want you to write and publish a devastating published takedown of these authors and basically as a directive to get this underway because we need to counter it. And Fauci, it turns out, is that new email we got from Rand Paul's committee and new foyas that have come true. He actually engages in a very coordinated campaign to smear the Great Marrington Declaration in the media, in the press, behind the scenes in the White House. He is a consummate political actor, not a scientist, is what all these emails tend to confirm. He's not looking at the evidence on lockdowns or the arguments that were being made. He's circulating political editorials in favor of lockdowns and calling friends in the White House to try to suppress anti lockdown voices. So one of the members of the COVID task force that was a skeptic of lockdowns is doctor Scott Atlas, who's from Stanford University. He was brought in to kind of be a counter voice to Fauci, and it turns out right around the time of the Great Bearrington Declaration, Atlas, who had been favorable to it gets on Fauci's bad side, and Fauci starts this campaign with Burks to try to get him fired and removed from the COVID Task Force because they don't want any dissent internally. That's pushing for a document like the Great Bearrington Declaration. They wanted be able to call the shots on lockdowns. So, rather than this being Fauci the science, as he often declared himself to be, it's actually Tauci the political operative who is trying to maintain control of the narrative and control over the policy and steer it toward lockdowns.
Speaker 1: So the reason I speak to you certainly your connection to the Great Barrington Declaration. But this view of this in terms of the economics, right economics we think of his dollars and cents, But economics is taking a look at a situation and asking ourselves, how can we predict the consequences right this? Now, Milton Friedman would describe economics, how do you predict the consequences of changes in circumstances? And I do find myself to be a Milton Friedman guy, Thomas Sowell guy. I would be more of an fa Hiat guy. But just the reading is so incredibly boring. It's so just if he could write the way he would think, I would be a happy man. But the writing was just tedious. Is I'll get out? But we talk about the economic consequences, to which there were none that came into the thinking. And it seemed to me that the Great Barrington Declaration dealt with all of the potential consequences, and doctor Fauci, doctor Burke's mainstream media cared not about consequences, but cared about fear for a purpose. Is that the correct assessment in your view?
Speaker 2: I think it is absolutely the case. You know, as you mentioned, incentives matter, secondary and tertiary effects of decisions we make. They matter. And one of the things that happened with the lockdowns, it's not just shutting society down to keep this disease supposedly contained, although we find out that doesn't work either under lockdowns, like the whole theory behind it was wrong. Shutting down society also means that people can't go to work. They also can't go out to the store unless they're wearing a mask and walking in the direction of the stickers on the floor. Hours non essential businesses are shut down, and you start thinking about this, What are some of the consequences of that. That means that if I'm living paycheck to paycheck and suddenly my job, my business, my restaurant that I work at, is no longer allowed to be open, that means I no longer have a paycheck coming in. And if you're sitting there in COVID and you say you're a reporter for the New York Times, you can do your job at home on a laptop. You can watch Netflix, you can get Uber Eats or door Dash or something to deliver your meals, and life is actually pretty good. It's not disrupted. But if you're just working, you know, paycheck to paycheck and a service industry job, and you're basically being told you're no longer essential, you're out of work, and maybe you have a rent payment or a car payment due next month, well you're out of luck. This is a real economic strain, and we saw it early in the pandemic. The states that had the more restrictive lockdown policies shot up in unemployment. You had very clear state level measures of this that the worst the lockdown state was the higher the unemployment rate, and states that remained relatively open or that ended the lockdowns early on, like Florida Will their economies rebounded and this has tangible effects on the quality of life and the ability to even get by for working class Americans, and those were completely disregarded by Fauci and people I would call the laptop class who could have the luxury of working from home and ordering Uber eats and sitting there on their laptops while the service industry suffered.
Speaker 1: Is there concrete data you can point to regarding we did this and here's the results we see it. We take a look at inflation right now, which certainly I could have with you the conversation regarding whether or not tariffs are still leading to that as an increase in cost and keeping too much cash in the system. We could take a look at specific job sectors and see whether or not they've recovered and whether or not it has been investment in AI that's actually been leading to certain issues as opposed to damage done. We could take a look at education outcomes as well. What can be pointed to as this is the result of this shutdown and here is the damage done, or maybe you can tell me the other way, Well, here's a surprising success that came from it, and if the damage is done, what does it take to get out of it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I guess there's two direct implications of COVID, and one was the immediate I sort of mentioned, is like the shutting down of the economy caused people to lose their jobs. And yes, when we reopened those jobs came back, but we were more or less operating in an enforced recession for about a year during COVID. That means people are worse off regardless. That means that not only is it gnomic arm to disruption to their everyday lives, and we saw that in the unemployment data. We saw that in the economy essentially crashed in early twenty twenty and it took a while to rebound. The second, the longer term effect is what did we do in response? Well, politicians of course panicked when the economy was shut down, when people were closed out of their job, says well, we need to pass stimulus checks. We need to create all these government programs to hold people over. If we're going to lock them down, let's throw them a bone. Basically, so we had the succession of these stimulus checks that were payouts essentially done on debt from the US government. There wasn't any revenue to pay for it, but it was just to hold people over. And those stimulus checks basically get absorbed into the macroeconomic situation of the federal government and become one of the major impetuses in twenty twenty two. So a couple of years later, in the inflationary crisis, we dumped a bunch of money to the economy, and we pretended as if it was, you know, basically a new big deal and it would take care of itself and work its way through the system. Well, Joe Biden mismanaged the inflationary crisis because it was all supposed to be transitory and passed through. And here we are, you know, four years later, still dealing with the repercussions of that, which traces back to the stimulus checks, traces back to policies that we had to enact during COVID as a result of the fact that we shut down the entire economy.
Speaker 1: Phil Magnus he is senior fellow at the Independent Institute David J. Throw Share and Political Economy, and his work at AIRE, the American Institute for Economic Research, where he was the fa Hiak at chair. I appreciate you taking the time to be with us, give us the breakdown. We'll talk economics in the future. I hope more to get to keep it here. This is Tony kats today. Low key. So that's where we're at. Now we're at we're at having a war with Iran, but it's you know, slow key, which is different than keeping it on the down low. Maybe possibly, I mean, nobody knows what it means, so it can mean anything you wanted to mean. Tony Katz, Tony Katz today, good to be with you. The president, as reported by the people at Axios, saying that you know, the war with Iran will continue, but it's gonna be low key. We're just gonna keep the economic pressure on. We're not gonna worry about bombings and this and that and what have you, and that's it now. Axios says that Trump expresses no anger or frustration about the fact that a deal hasn't been signed with Iran and they're getting all tough about the strait. It was the Wall Street Journal that reported that Trump's losing interest in the war and Iran's wants hundreds of billions of dollars in order to keep the strait open, and that Iran has the advantage over Trump because Trump needs the oil prices down. He doesn't have the stomach for this. Oh, he's getting tired of this whole thing, and the Iranians believe that they could just weight him out. I believe that the Iranians do believe they can wait him out. They believe they could wait anybody out, which is why no negotiation with them will ever work, which is why one should not negotiate with them, One should end them. Also, we have it clear and understood that there is no way to negotiate with You're dealing with the IRGC, which is working in different factions, all to their own interests, not too necessarily. And this is a solid point that I saw somebody else Makeing them like that is a various two to observation. It's not even to the Islamist point of view, right although they want Israel, Gon and America gone because those things are the things that keep them from moving forward as pushing the caliphate, but rather they are also things that keep them moving forward from being the power in the region, which is why they want a nuclear weapon. If you think Iran is a problem now ran with a nuclear weapon is impossible. Anybody who doesn't believe in ending this regime and stopping this threat is in no way America. First, I say it about Tucker Carlson, I say that about Thomas Massey. I say that about Marjorie Taylor Green. They're laughable, But so is the idea that a deal can be made. Can't be made. So if you want to use economic opportunity to in sanctions to choke them off, it's the siege mentality, which we discussed with a military analyst, Mike Lyons on this show weeks ago. Fine, that's what we're doing. That's what we're doing. Great, terrific and wonderful. But when they don't give you're gonna have to throttle them. You got to stop talking about a deal can be made, you know it. Can't stop saying. This is Tony Katz today, Else I had wins, I will not vote Democrat.
Speaker 3: I'll switch over and I'll vote for a candidate with character, whoever.
Speaker 1: That might be. That's a Democrat talking. That's a Democrat talking in Michigan. Just as the election was taking place, and Dula ed, I'm sorry. Dull rock on El sayed, oh, if you don't say his whole name, you can't to keep his name out of your mouth. He's such a pseudo tough guy. Oh what a punk Tony Katz. Tony Katz today Abduled gives all the vibes of a guy who peepes sitting down. He really does the tough guy stuff. He's been doing boring, He's done it a couple times now. It's it just doesn't play at all. But this was a Democrat saying he'll vote for He'll vote for someone else, He'll vote for someone with character. And this perfectly brings us into the midterms because as much as we may like it or not like it, you know, it's sometimes things happen whether we like them or not. We are in the full on election mode, ladies and gentlemen. We are in election season.
Speaker 2: My god.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's happening on what's a procedure. That's it. We are here, and it is horrifying. This is us from now until November third. It's not my fault. Oh please, don't get me wrong. I have plenty of other things to talk about, plenty of other things to get to. But we're in it. We are in it and One of the things that I noticed was that the generic ballot Democrats versus Republicans congressional generic ballot has Democrats up by seven. Now that it's a little higher than where they were, they were up plus four. I'm like, this is nothing. Plus seven, you can see is something. And the last five one, two, three, four, five, the last five polls plus seven, plus eight, plus eleven, plus six and plus six. Get rid of the plus eleven, get rid of the plus six, right the bottom score, and you're left with a plus seven advantage over the last couple of weeks. I can't tell you why that is. What I can tell you is this is happening while conversation like that one you just heard. It is happening where someone's like, I'm just gonna switch over. Then there's the story of this guy. This was a Democrat, a former chief counsel for the House Judiciary Democrats, and he makes a video. His name is Julian Epstein. I don't think there's any relation on the Epstein side. He is a guy. I think he's in Michigan, and this is his conversation.
Speaker 3: I have been criticizing the Democratic Party for a long time as being far to the left of the median voter. So, just as a matter of practical politics and pragmatism, I think the party has gone way too far left. But I think the party has also lost its moral center. I'm Julian Epstein. I'm a longtime Democrat. I was formerly the chief counsel of the House Judiciary Committee and the staff director of the House Oversight.
Speaker 1: Committee for the Democrats.
Speaker 3: I'm the former CEO of the consulting firm LMG, which represented, amongst other people, Hillary Clinton for president. If this is where the party's going, this is not a party I want to have any anything to do with now.
Speaker 1: I want to be clear that you could find Republicans who are like I don't want anything to do with Donald Trump. You can find that, of course it exists. So in that regard, there's nothing necessarily new here, except it is something to hear Democrats come out and say this party has gone too far to the left. Abdul say Ed was too much for that Michigan voter. The Democrats in Toto too far to the left. I had stated, with this goes back to February. I had done the event Trump one year later, and a fantastic event we did in Indianapolis, and I laid out the plan for how Republicans can win in November. Because I saw the opening. I understood the opening, and the opening involved a series of things going right. But and this, I did the event just as we had heard of the first attacks on around by the United States. I mean, I've got this ballroom in downtown Indianapolis, and we're setting it up and we're getting the information. And there I am while people are setting up, and I'm rewriting the presentation to give the update and what just happened and how it's going to play out and how do you prognosticate in six hours. I didn't do bad. I didn't do bad at all. But one of the things I said was was that oil will need to settle and you're going to need low gas prices because people make their decision about the midterms. I don't think sex necessarily in the days before they set their sale where they think they're going to go in the summer. And I had said this on the show, so you guys know this that by the summer, it's going to dictate what's going to happen. And if I were a guy just taking a look at oil prices and taking with the economy, Republicans are going to get salacked, get their stuff handed to them in a massive, massive way. Except that's not where I see it. And part of the story is that the oil prices, while they've been higher, I don't actually believe they've got everybody as upset as the media wants to believe it is. I just don't. They're higher, but they're not the thing that's really bothering. They're not the everyday things being discussed by friends. Grocery prices are, insurance prices are the basics. It isn't so much gas prices, which I found kind of unique that it has gone that way. It hasn't been in the anecdotal the big story. It's been a media big story, but still it matters. I'm surprised it hasn't moved more. But when I was doing this this presentation, I said, the problem with the left is that they're nuts, and nobody wants the nuts. And that is more and more starting to show up. That's becoming more and more of a story and more and more of a wild card conversation. Does America think the left is crazy? Do they think that they are these wild radical communists, which they are unquestionably, unquestionably are, which brings us back to this guy, Julian Epstein and the argument he's making. This is from Fox News.
Speaker 3: My piece in the New York Post today basically says that I'm jumping ship, that I am going over to the Republican side in the Michigan Senate race, and I'm supporting Mike Rogers. And this is because I think the Democrats have gone off the deep end. I think the lunatics are in charge of the asylum. I think that there is no room in the tent for people that want to destroy our constitution. There's no room in the tent for people that want to align themselves with radical Islam. There's no room in the tent for people that want to align themselves with anti Semitism. And there's no room in the tent, I think, in my view, for people that don't have any interest in building for the next generation, but only want to redistribute what others have created.
Speaker 1: Now that is something that you and I would wholeheartedly agree with. They don't want to build, they don't want to create, They actually have no plan for building, no plan for creating. They only have a plan for taking. And we've discussed this before. These DSA people are children, They're little boys and little girls. They're violent little boys and girls. But when it comes to mentality, they can't back up their own statements, they can't back up their own actions. They just want to win so they can utilize the power to take from you. Everything about them is force. They don't believe in togetherness, they don't believe in unity. They don't believe in the collective. They never have, they never will. They believe that they have to get what it is that they want. They have to get it, and they will get it by any means necessary. They do not care what force has to be used. They don't care who they have to hurt. It means absolutely nothing to them, nothing at all. So this is in a stude observation that they don't create. And that was this guy Julian Epstein and I found the article there at the New York Post. I'm a longtime Democrat fighting for gops, Mike Rogers and my party's sole in Michigan. I wonder if this applies to other Democrats, and does it apply to justin Michigan. Democrats who have no interest in voting for this rabbid anti American abdul l si ed does it apply in other parts of the country.
Speaker 3: And want to basically tear down the free market that has been the most effective anti poverty liberation machine that human beings have ever invented. If you want to start taking these lunatic positions, then I'm.
Speaker 1: Just not going to be part of it. And I suspect more this isn't about me.
Speaker 3: I suspect you're going to see a large group of Democrats starting to defect. And I think this is what you're watching in real time. Here is a party that is jumping off a cliff.
Speaker 1: Now let's say that that is true. We then take a look at the generic ballot and we say these two things are in conflict. No, I don't believe one poll. I'm looking at an amalgam of poles. If I take a look at the last eleven polls, Democrats at the least are up by three, at the very very least. In all the generic polls, the Democrats are up. What I had argued when it was plus three, plus four, plus five is that that's not enough. That is not enough to guarantee control of the House of Representatives. It's just not I think Democrats have given up on the idea of control of the Senate. I really do. They're not in a great place. But if I take a look at all of it, up plus seven is in a better place. And that is in conflict, direct conflict with what it is. Julian Epstein as saying here, So what's right? In what's wrong? I'll point you to two things. Number One, if we take a look at the polling in Michigan, right, we take a look at that Senate race, right, the primary race in Michigan, they had Abdul el Sayed up massive. Let me give it to you. This was El Sayed versus Haley Stevens. Right, primary, we just saw this was the last three one, two, three, four, five, six, last seven, No, last six. In the last six polls, Stevens was up in one of them, and then El Sayed was up in five by double digits, which led to the real Clear Politics average having l Sayed up ten point two. Right, never, you can throw out the top and bottom one. We could do that again. It was l Sayed up by double digits by ten points was the average. He won by one point. Do you know how off you have to be?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, never mind it, never mind anybody's politics. We agree on things, we disagree on things. Who cares. Let's take a look at the pollsters, a series of different polling outfits. They all had l saied up by double digits. He won by a point. That is missing the mark up thirteen, up, sixteen, up ten, up, fifteen, up fourteen. That's without that poll that Steven's up by seven, which in that average they had l saied up by thirteen points and he won by a point. Is it possible that the polling on the generic numbers that have the Democrats up by seven are equally skewed, equally flawed, equally wrong, Because if that's the case, Republicans take the House. I can't guarantee that, though all I can do is look at the numbers, and very often a number needs to be looked at multiple ways. The people who want the story that they want will read the top line. The people who want to understand the story will actually dig in. I have got Democrats who have a story writing in the New York Post that they're leaving the Democrat Party, and I've got numbers from the last big race where everybody was paying attention and El Sied wins by a point when he was supposed to win according to the last five polls by thirteen. That's a story. So the first question is do we believe the polls at all? Not necessarily, but now the same question gets askedce the part two, do we believe the people? This guy putting the video out there with Fox News writing the article in the New York Post. Okay, that's his story? Is that all the stories? Well I did have a second guy who said he wasn't going to vote for El si ed. Well, that's Michigan and that's the center race. Is that the story and Toto that they won't vote for the bigotry, they won't vote for the jew hate, they won't vote for the America hate, they won't vote for the communists, they won't vote for this stuf. Is that the story across the board. And I can't answer that yet, but that could very well be the difference maker that I was correct in the thing that is most motivating in this election won't actually be the economy. Okay, it wasn't correct about that part. The economy usually is the most motivating factor. It's the fact that these leftists are nuts and nobody trusts them. Is that becoming the main motivator. That's what we're gonna start watching for. Keep it here. It's Tony Katz Today, the Senate avoids the shutdown. I am as shocked as anyone else. Tony Katz. Tony Katz today an absolute pleasure. Will see what the House does. But the Senate, they decided over the weekend to allow for funding of the government until December eleventh, averting the shutdown before the midterms. They send the bill to the House, they go on a five week recess, which sounds lovely right about now, Tony Katz, Tony Katz today, I don't know what the House is gonna do. The story here is that Chuck Schumer and Senate Democrats didn't want the fight, and the only reason they didn't want the fight is that it was not going to benefit them. They don't they don't actually care about the things. They care about the power, and they wouldn't mind shutting it down and hurting a whole lot of people if they thought it was going to get them some power. Not because they're really opposed. There is no real opposition to any of these things. But the fact that there wasn't tells you a story that this shutdown thing didn't work for them. Didn't work for them, and just like we're talking about the midterms, they made the calculation that would be valueless, as a matter of fact, harmful the so government stays open at least for another couple months. Find everything it's own, cats dot com. I'll catch you tomorrow. Everyone, take care,