Speaker 1: Well, welcome to another episode of the Frame for a Second podcast. I'm hot for the evening. My name is Mike. Next to me, I have Spike across the spike, I have Ken. Next to Ken, I have Rod, and we are doing the fortieth anniversary of the movie Aliens. This came out nineteen eighty six. If you can't do math, I'm bad at math too. It is the second movie.
Speaker 2: Is that wrong? I mean just the six I mean we're in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: This is true.
Speaker 2: It's forty years. This is true. You said you just bad at you say it's bad at math.
Speaker 1: I know if I got what both of you were coming from. I don't get it. What's he saying saying you're bad at math? And he's like, it's real easy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the forty part. It's the forty part that sometimes strips me up.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, the six I'm good.
Speaker 1: But like if you told me it was fifty years, I might believe you until I sat down and did the.
Speaker 2: Back see what I'm saying the sixth I'm good on it's talk.
Speaker 4: Okay, you know, you know it's you know, it's around around Yeah, yeah, yeah, I just don't know how many decades it's been.
Speaker 1: Yes, I always get that fucked up. So yeah, this is the second movie in the franchise. Was also done by James Cameron. Uh. We reviewed the movie Alien at some point, so make sure you go look on the channel it somewhere in there. But has everyone seen this movie before? No?
Speaker 2: I didn't think, so.
Speaker 3: What And I keep forgetting and keep forgetting that. Wait, what's that mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I don't know what I would have seen. I was four with a game. You didn't see the eighties movies that were This movie is a classic Spike hm was it?
Speaker 5: I was ten, so you should have seen it, and you was in tall stuff. I wasn't in the alien movies.
Speaker 1: Four. Yeah, and then I ain't never go back and watch it. I don't know that I saw it when it first came out. I'm sure I didn't go see it in the theater.
Speaker 3: I didn't go see it in the theater HBO.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure I watched it when we went to Blockbusters.
Speaker 3: So I waited watch all my movies and waited for it to go out into the theater HBO, because we want to go into the movies and my mom won't spend that money.
Speaker 1: But I'm gonna go around Ken. You've seen this before, So how do you feel about this movie?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Multiple times? No, I enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: There's always one scene that get me every time, and I'm like, as many times seen this movie every damn time? Same but but yeah, but nah, overall, yeah, I like it. I do understand some of the complaints and gripes with it. There is because of the action ship with the Marines and ship people do. They don't like that, but it worked for me. I think it's just anything it shows our dad as these motherfuckers are like. But uh but nah, man, yeah this this Yeah. Yeah. I did a rewatch of the Aliens franchise either, not last year, but I think two years ago. But yeah, I always enjoyed this one.
Speaker 2: What about you, Rob, Yeah, yeah, I've always enjoyed this one. I did the same thing. I did, like a rewatch of all of them.
Speaker 4: I will have to have a refresh on this one because I didn't get a chance to go back and watch it. But I've seen this so so many times. My my my fondest memory about this movie when I was younger is it's like one of one of my best friends, older cousins.
Speaker 2: We were watching it together.
Speaker 4: And man, he just kept calling that one lady ram hole.
Speaker 3: He just the whole movie.
Speaker 2: Oh Man, I know he was black. He was black, man, Bro. That's my that's my fondest movie memory of this movie. Man, And I can't. I can't watch it.
Speaker 4: Without thinking that you kept calling the rim like I was like, oh my god. And I was young too, like I was maybe middle school or whatever, like not super young, but yeah, I remember, man, But that was the best way to watch this movie with a whole bunch of black people.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah that's fun. But yeah, it's like embittered in my brain, like.
Speaker 1: Your first time seeing this, What did you think about this movie? It wasn't bad.
Speaker 5: I get the cult following wit not even Colt, like major following around the movie, especially now since I've sit with you guys and seen more of the Alien franchise, which kind of made it worse for me being the technology as advanced so much so with the other alien movies, and I feel like even that TV show that we watched, okay, they had the alien in there, like it was just so more advanced. Going back to this was like, Okay, I get it, but it's a Sigourney Weaver.
Speaker 3: She did a new job.
Speaker 5: I think she did a really good job. Paul Shriver, I feel like he played his typical self.
Speaker 3: But I mean it was it mm hmm.
Speaker 1: He was over, he was he was different Bill Paxton that I'm used to. This is what Bill put Bill Paxton on the Probably not but yeah, yeah, I mean it was cool. It wasn't bad. I wouldn't sitting there like damn, well, I gotta watch this.
Speaker 4: But you weren't like, damn, this is amazing. I was not like that, even though well, I will say, you're tripping. Yeah, this is this is my one. This is my all time favorite alienen. This is my all time favorite sci fi movie.
Speaker 1: This is the reason why I have this alien tattooed on my h This is my second tattoo, and I got that after seeing Aliens. I loved the movie. I loved the comics, and I will take any chance to rewatch this. But me and my girl rewatched it last night, and it to me, it just holds up. It's such a good movie. And at first she was like, oh, it's probably quick, just throw it on. I was like, you realize this is like a two hour and thirty minute movie. At no point did I look over and her be like, Dan, this is still going No, the whole time, you're like, what the fuck? Pac The pacing is great, and they do a lot to set up what's gonna happen. That first thirty five minutes is just set up. But it's good set up as long as you remember what happened in the last film. So that's what took me out of it. Oh, you couldn't remember Alien. I mean, the most you got to remember is that she blew the alien out of the out of the airline.
Speaker 4: We reviewed it. Maybe he wasn't on it. Maybe he wasn't on It's possible he wasn't here.
Speaker 1: I don't think I was here yet. Oh no, I would have told you to go ahead and watch Alien first. I don't think you needed that that that much context, but it would have watched a little bit. Yeah, it would have helped because you might have been a little bit confused about who Ripley is. Why is she even you know relev Is? Yeah, all right, well let's go ahead and move on through this motherfucker. So the movie starts off with a salvage crew discovering Ripley's escape shuttle that's carrying her and my boy Jonesy after she destroyed the Nostromo in the last movie. She's taken back to Earth and debriefed by the Wailan Yatani Corporation, which is the company that sent him out there in the first place. She finds out that she's been out there for fifty seven years and that her daughter, who was ten when she left, has died. She also finds out that the planet that they found the alien on is now a colony of terraformers, and after losing contact with the colony. Were y'all surprised when they asked Ripley to go back? I'm gonna start with you.
Speaker 3: Ken, given that whole meeting where they discredited her, having rewatched and watching all the franchise and understanding more of what Whyland was or is, make much more sense now because you know they're making basically weapons and shit like that, so they didn't need that information out. It made sense to send a subject matter expert back to the planet. Plus, if she's dies, she's the only person that has bear a witness. Or you get rid of the witness as well that have seen these things. That's gonna be a problem. So two birds of one stone, so yeah, it made sense for them to send her back there.
Speaker 4: What about you, Rock, I'm trying to remember, like if if I was shocked by that, I don't think I was, because I had seen I do remember seeing like like in the previews or whatever when it was coming out.
Speaker 2: It was very heavy promo about it.
Speaker 4: So I guess it wasn't that shocking that they sent her back because I think in my mind she was already going to be back because they remember they were showing her the machine and all that type of stuff in the in the trailers.
Speaker 1: Spike, well, I guess you wouldn't be an answer that there. What did you think about how all of this kicked off?
Speaker 5: I had a similar thought process that Ken. They went through this whole thing where they trying to discredit her with the trial and saying that she was incorrect, and then the guy basically be like fuck you the head guy. But then when something go down, like yo, we want to send you back because were killing two birds on one stone essentially, like you said, like if you see him, oh you know what to do?
Speaker 1: They kill you. We ain't got to tell nobody.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: So that's how it felt. Yep, I agree, But yeah, Ripley agrees to go back on the condition that they're just destroying the creature, they're not bringing it back. So she goes up in the ships Sulaco and she meets the Coner Colonial Marines run by Sergeant A. Pone and overseen by Lieutenant Gorman. We also meet Hicks, Hudson, Vasquez, Burke, and after being a little racist towards Bishop, she debriefed them on what's going on on LV four twenty six and they land. And by the way, I'm condensing quite a bit of this because it's a long ass movie. They find some face huggers and testing tubes, and they also discover an orphan little girl named Newt. What did y'all think of Newt? I wish she just did I miss her. I wish she just able to survive up the abaza scared. Yeah, that room and figured out that they used mostly only come out at night, so she would go out during the day to get food and then go back into that room. Got it? Okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like Newt and I think you know, she played a role a little subtle role that I realized. I didn't realize until a rewatch with being the little girl, because Ripley became attached to her. And then they told the story of her losing a daughter, right and she was there fifty ce year and they showed her daughter who was old and all the other stuff, so, you know, so I think that that added a little bit more to Ripley who was who was crying. But I also either forgot or didn't realize what that that was the girl from the family that was killed early when they dropped to the planet, and she was screaming and stuff like that, and she surviving and the kid didn't and the other two didn't. So I liked that part of it because you know, we didn't see the kid die, but he clearly did. So. Uh And and was that that family that was? Was that them? That was? I'm don't know why I'm doing this, but was that them or other just people from the planet when when they first came across the bodies?
Speaker 2: I can't I could never tell you either.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that was the mom and a dad, I don't think, so, Okay, it was just so they don't look alike. But yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not her parents, but yeah.
Speaker 3: No they they Yeah, she she played a pretty key role in this movie.
Speaker 4: Anything else to add to that, rod No, I'm something to think maybe I should have rewatched this. But but what I will say is that I do remember the little girl being impactful. And I know, to like today's toime, we don't get many child actors.
Speaker 2: I know that that's been a great for us.
Speaker 4: But I do remember her being impactful in this one, because this is the one when she was like in the water and they come up behind her and all that type of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's all I can really speak on as far is that.
Speaker 1: So Yeah, I like Newton. I've always thought she was an adorable little kid. I like the fact that because she's just so fucking scared that that's how she's been able to survive by just avoiding the xenomorphs, you know, and then she's smart enough to figure out when they come out what brings them out. So I have heard people complain about this like, oh, this a little girl survived, and it's like, well, I can see how a little girl like that would survive, because how many years has it been since they took over. We don't know. I mean, I imagine it hasn't been years, because, as we find out later, Burke is the one that sent them to go investigate that ship once he heard Ripley's story. So if we're putting two and two together, we can say it's it's probably been a couple of weeks. So she's only been surviving for a couple of weeks. I think people got confused, just like you see years. I think they assumed that it had been like ten years, but for some reason, the girls to in age like Garce, magic and some shit. Today.
Speaker 5: You know, it's like, but I thought like she had been out there for years, that's why. But that makes a lot more.
Speaker 1: No, I think it's only been a couple of weeks, because how old is she supposed to be? I imagine she's supposed to be about eleven or twelve, so it's close to Ripley's daughter's age, which I think that's why Ripley got attached to her so quickly. How old is dom six? Okay, Okay, I'm bad at trying to figure out how age and how cognitive things work with kids that are that age, So I would imagine he's already pretty fucking smart, So I would imagine if you double his age, he could probably figure out, I'm gonna go stay in this room and not come out right right. So I don't think it's far fetched that an eleven or twelve year old would figure out how to survive for a couple of nis.
Speaker 3: Shit, she was smart enough to know. She was like they've been going a long time. She knew something was.
Speaker 1: Wrong, exactly a dumb ass Timmy over there playing with Nintendo, like, hey, I think parents are dead.
Speaker 2: So they find the rest of the colonists.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, wait, wait did I skip apart whole No? I didn't. They find the rest of the colonists after Hudson is doing some scanning and they go in to rescue him. They also find out that they're under heat exchangers, which could cause an explosion, so they don't use their guns, or they're not supposed to use their guns. But they find the colonists cocooned, and they end up killing one of the newborn aliens, causes a commotion with the other aliens. So anybody can answer this part, what did y'all think about what happens here? This is when the aliens start coming out of the fucking walls.
Speaker 3: Every damn time. Bro, I've missed this motherfucker every time, and.
Speaker 2: I see him every time.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: He's like I don't see him, and the camera pans behind him and he's right there.
Speaker 3: No, no, not before they appear when he's walking. Yeah, when they're walking and they were like, yeah, we don't know where they are, and he's up against the wall as part of the yeah wall, and then he starts to float solely on the fold out of the wall and then he gets there, like god, damn, that'sh It's so good man.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: Every time it is like did you see that? Motherfuckers?
Speaker 1: By hell? Until he revealed itself and did the thing that he did, but I definitely didn't see it. I thought that was good too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, this this because the thing is like heading there. You know. She having a conversation with the Marines. He was like, yo, like you know, so you know how many deployments have you been on? Like what am I working with here? And theseus I ain't real action, No.
Speaker 1: It was just the rest of them are used to this because remember she's Vasquez asked this is just another or no, Hudson asks, it's just another bug hunt. So they're they're used to this type of thing.
Speaker 2: They are just not used to with xenomorphs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, which has always been slightly confusing because Gorman says to them, we think a xenomorph is involved, and none of them were like, what the fuck is a xenomorph? So I've always been a little bit confused about this part, like did the other colonial Marines know what the xenomorph was? They have just never dealt with the whole fucking pack of them.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't think they were. I think this was their first encounter.
Speaker 1: With them, right, But why wouldn't they when he said I think a xenomorph is involved, why wouldn't they be like, well, what's that? It was a week. It's it's a weird thing with this movie that I've never asked anybody, So I'm sure I'm just missing something.
Speaker 4: So I'm trying to figure out that when they would have encountered it before.
Speaker 1: Well, so the thing is they're not only on that planet, so they could have encountered them anywhere, because we have to remember the only reason they're on LV four twenty six is because that the alien spaceship crashed on that planet, so they could be in a myriad of planets.
Speaker 3: And they tried to you know, one of the preople in the room was like, yeah, there's no indigenous right preachers.
Speaker 2: Was like, man, they're not indigenous about it.
Speaker 3: I ain't say that. You're trying to be slack, say they were indigenous, right right? You know? So so yeah, but yeah, Gormant just completely froze up.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he ain't know what to do, right man.
Speaker 4: This is why she had to take come in. Yeah, that's the next part. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, I've always loved this scene. I love how they're reading the scanner. This is this is always the part where it's like, oh shit, this is crazy. But they're reading the scanner and they're like what the like, there's movement but we can't see him. And this is another continuity issue. I've never understood how that one alien that comes out and grabs that dude, how he floats back up to the top because his tail is flapping so he's not using his tail. It doesn't bother me that much because it's still a dope ass scene. But I've just never understood how the motherfucker just floated up to the sky.
Speaker 3: He didn't jump.
Speaker 1: Nah, he's on the wall on the side. Oh you know what, I'm gonna accept that they can since they can walk on walls, because we can't see the alien's feet. So I'm gonna assuming he's came out, grabbed the dude and then just walked up the wall this way. Probably, I'm just gonna accept that. So, yes, in this Oh wait, Dardy ask you you don't care. So this is the part that you were talking about. So Gorman starts bugging out because he's not been on one of these missions before, and Ripley is like, get your people out of there, and he's just like, shut the fuck up, basically, So she grabs the fucking cybertruck and she goes into the.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's probably where damn.
Speaker 5: As I was watching this, I said, damn, this is what he got the cyber trucks from.
Speaker 2: It looks exactly.
Speaker 1: I said it to my girl and she was like, that does look exactly like a cyber truck. E on is that lane to where he would steal something like that from this movie? Even though he stole the idea of a cyber truck from somebody else anyway. So we also we find out that apone has died, Frost, Drake, Crow, where's Bowski?
Speaker 2: They've all died.
Speaker 1: So when Ripley busts through the side of the wall, the only ones left are Hicks, Hudson, and Vasquez because if you remember, Drake dies right at the door because Vasquez shot the one alien and it squirted acid all over him. But once they regroup, Rickley Ripley comes up with a plan to get off the planet and nuke it from orbit, but Burke has some disagreements.
Speaker 2: So Spike, since you've never seen this.
Speaker 1: Before, were you starting to get the picture of what's going on with Burke and the corporation? Yeah, it was.
Speaker 5: He didn't hide it well at all, like him wanting to take an alien off and get his percentage or get it money for it or whatever it may be. And I like Ripley how she called it out and kind of finally sweated him out to admitting it, but it was too late at that point. But yeah, he was very white man ish, corporate like, I'm trying to get this figured out for the money aspect of it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, he gave that y'all already pick all that up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know, I think with you know, it was it was corporation. You felt like because she asked him, she was like, why the hell are you going, you know, and he said whatever, whatever, and then he kept like trying to stop them from blowing shit up, so he was like, yeah, you know, it's a yeah, yeah, So it sounded like corporate shit that he's on, like trying to protect all the equipment at the expense of the people. But yeah, I think that revealed really helped set up the scene after a couple of scenes after this as well, that he was involved and he kind of set everything up in motion for them to go back, and it made him going make more sense.
Speaker 1: Did you get the same thing? Rock? Yeah?
Speaker 2: This when I can't tap into this one, I would have had to rewatch it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're very clearly setting up this whole idea of capitalism. And you know, this is what is always really interesting to me about this film is, you know, and nothing's wrong with this, but a lot of people get onto this idea of capitalism without realizing that movies have been talking about this for decades. And when you watch a movie like alien or aliens. Unless you're really paying attention, you don't put two and two together and realize the actual enemy the villain in all of.
Speaker 2: These movies is the corporation. Really the xenomorphs.
Speaker 1: The xenomorphs are just being animals, right, It's the corporation that's sending these people out there to die. So this is a very interesting part. They're like, we should just get off this planet and just nuke the whole thing so we can be sure that these things won't get off the planet. And Burke, being the company man that he is, he's like, no, there's a substantial dollar amount. And he also says these are an important species.
Speaker 4: That's a good point because I never even looked at it like that that they're not trying to invade the planet. They're not trying to invade They aren't look at for if they weren't. Yeah, we went looking for them.
Speaker 1: Like, well, they invaded LV four twenty six, But that's just because that spaceship that the e I don't know if y'all remember Prometheus and all that, but the spaceship that the that the engineers were on crashed there, and I mean, they would invade Earth if they thought that it would make sense, but they haven't been able to. But the whole thing is again, it's like, it's like going to Africa and running through the fucking wilderness and getting mad because the lion fucked you up. That's your fucking fault. Why are you there?
Speaker 3: For sure?
Speaker 2: That's the lion's fucking layer. Yep, you busted up in his ship.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so they call the ship the drop ship that they have, but an alien is a board and ends up killing the pilots.
Speaker 2: Spike, did you think it was game over?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 5: I like when you said that, though, I mean, of course I knew that they figured their way out of it, getting that the character that I picked up what's the goingy Weavers character.
Speaker 1: Named Ellen Ripley Ripley who I picked her up to be with.
Speaker 5: I did wonder where they were going to go from the pilots being fucked over about about the eighties, So like, okay, that's interest.
Speaker 3: And you know these things are kind of smart. They are so yeah, so they need to take out the pilot. Yeah, we're just gonna y'all not getting up out of here, y'all. We need we got too and we need more hosts so we.
Speaker 1: Need that's the best part. And also when you think about it, it's like all those people, you consider them dead, but as Ripley says, they don't kill them. They they they grabbed them and make them hosts. So a pone, where's Bowski Drake all these people that we think are dead. No, they're fucking cocoon somewhere. I mean, they'll be dead soon. But yeah, man, they're still alive. They have low low they are, but they are Yeah.
Speaker 2: Nah fuck that.
Speaker 3: They did.
Speaker 2: They did, Bro, They're gone. Bro that ship get in you.
Speaker 1: Yes, I said, rapdamn, but no, I love this part. And man, this is I was telling this is a classic line where he's just like.
Speaker 6: This game over, we're some real deep ship seventeen hours man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like asked here.
Speaker 4: For Bill Paxton fucking killed this role. Man, he's so good in this.
Speaker 1: So all right, So they barricade themselves inside the facility, thinking that they've blocked all the ways for the aliens to get in, and here we find out some ship. We find out that Burke ordered the columnists to go investigate the ship without warning them what was in there. They also find out that the reactor is overloading due to the crash from the the drop ship and it'll explode in four hours. So Bishop volunteers to crawl through a tunnel to use a transmitter to get the other drop ship. But Ripley goes into nap with Newt and some shit goes down while she's taken a nap. I'm gonna start with you, Spike again, since it's your first time. What did you think of this part? What happened when she was saying or no, God damn it? So she crawls under the so Newt can't sleep out in the open because she's used to hiding, which I think is a really really good touch. So she climbs under the bed to go to sleep, and these crawling in. Ripley goes in with the gun and she puts the gun on the bed and she crawls under the bed to sleep with Newt. But when she wakes up, the gun is gone, and there's two of the test tubes open on the floor inside of the facility, inside of the room that they're sleeping in. I was like Bill Peckston, game over, Man, that's fucked up.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't have you wouldn't have tried to help.
Speaker 1: I would have tried to help. But that's what I was my initial thought.
Speaker 5: Seeing the lowt test tubes open and the gun gone, sorry, run, it's like it's over.
Speaker 1: That's fucked up.
Speaker 3: Man. Man, this is one of the best, most intense in this movie. And even watching it now, I remember watching this as as a kid. I just knew they were going to get the girl and get out of this. She was a survivor because when that thing tried to jump on and she was that shelf yep to get the tail or whatever. But it was like, man, it was like right there and Ripley's just trying to make sure the little thing penis don't get She said there, fight that thing.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 3: I'm like, and then when she uh, because she's smart, then she gets the sprinklers. Yeah, and then to trigger everybody else. And then they went over there or whatever. And then and then the water is coming down and you see that thing crawling. Man, bro, this ship was crazy. It seems so good man. Yeah, this was this was This was the face.
Speaker 4: Huggers, right, yeah, I hate those, those are the ones.
Speaker 2: I really don't like.
Speaker 1: The face.
Speaker 3: I'm sure the man.
Speaker 2: Last thing you want, Oh my god, like that that that.
Speaker 3: Those are the ones you can't even and that was the thing. It almost got it because you can't even see it, because she just kind of looking and she just it jumped out. Man. Bro. Yeah, this was and.
Speaker 1: Merely wrapped his tail around her neck and was choking her to get her to open her mouth. This is so fucking good man. We haven't talked about that, but we talked about the concept and the first one that this the whole idea of face huggers for spikes. Information is an allegory for rape?
Speaker 2: Really, yes, you know I never yeah did you?
Speaker 3: Did?
Speaker 2: You bring it up in the last.
Speaker 1: In the review that that that that's an allegory for rape, and uh, you know there there are actual many allegory for rape throughout the first I forgot I was supposed to say that grape whatever in the in the first movie though, the them shoving their thing down your throat, you being impregnated, the thing coming out killing you, life's over. There's also the part where I forget the droid in the other one, I forget his name. Fuck, I forget the droid in the first one, but he tries to shove that rolled up newspaper down Ripley's throat. There's a lot of, you know, allegories for rape, but this one, you know the fact that it wraps its tail around her neck to get her to open her mouth so it can shove that thing down. It's just it's crazy. But we find out that Burke is the one that took the gun. Oh what's up? What's up?
Speaker 4: I was gonna say it was Burke was the one. Was He's the one that kind of set this whole thing up. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Burke took her.
Speaker 1: Gun because the gun is outside of the room on the table. Burke took the gun and was going to let Ripley and or Newt get impregnated. Then he was gonna freeze those yes and then take them back so they would have the thing inside of them and if you remember, they would still have one more face hugger, because I believe there were three in the testing room. So then, as Ripley said, he was gonna then sabotage the freezers for the other marines and then he can just make up any story because like like she said, she just jettus in the bodies out into space. So man, this is yeah, this was this was actually pretty pretty deep before they can deal with Burke's bitch ass. The power cuts and what follows, for me, is the best part of the whole movie, And for me, it is easily one of the coolest parts of any sci fi movie ever made, ever made. And that's when they discover that the aliens have found a way into the base, and they discover that they're in the fucking ceiling. And I will just go ahead and say when when they this is like super tense. The the lights are out and when they're using the scanners and they're telling Basquez just go seal the door.
Speaker 2: But then Hudson is like five meters four meters three.
Speaker 3: Meters in the room.
Speaker 2: It's like I'm reading the correct man. They're in the fucking room. The room. Oh my god, when Hudson fucking when they look up, first of all, this is incredible filmmaking. When they all look up and he fucking tips the gun and looks and they're crawling.
Speaker 4: This scene gets me every time. It is so fucking good. It's so good.
Speaker 1: But since I've already said my part, I'm gonna throw it out to y'all. Anybody can jump in. What did y'all think of this part. This is before they get to the tunnels. We'll talk about that next, but just the part in the room, all right, Spike, he says, nobody want to talk. It was good.
Speaker 5: Uh when you say, like one of my favorite sci fi scenes, I could definitely get that if I were won the sci fi because watching it as a just a fair weather fan, yeah.
Speaker 1: Still was like, damn like that.
Speaker 5: How they set it up, the camera with the gun things, just like being in the room, the commentary with him telling them and he's like the meters or whatever.
Speaker 1: Maybe all of it was really really good. Did you guess they were in the ceiling? No? Because I remember as a kid, that was the last thing I would have thought. I did not think that they would. They just like standing. I thought he was going to do the wall thing again.
Speaker 3: Oh right, Yeah, but I didn't guess that they I wonder if they kind of set that up earlier, because because you didn't really they were, they were doing it earlier, and you kind of never really knew where they were. But I don't think they ever located them. And I think when they set the guns up and they were shooting them, but I don't know, maybe not well.
Speaker 1: Ripley probably knew because remember they were they were they were doing that in the first film. They just didn't know that there was tunnels in the ceiling. That's remember she said something missed. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they identified another tunnel.
Speaker 1: And then and they blocked that off with the automatic guns. Yeah, but they were like, there's something we must have missed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because yeah, because one of the dope blinneses that they come out at night mostly, yeah, that was and real quick. Were they sacrificing some of the aliens to run down the ammo and the guns.
Speaker 1: No, no, okay, so they were I don't think they're that smart. They were probably just there, there's still animals. They're probably just like, okay, yeah, the thing's shooting at us.
Speaker 3: But okay.
Speaker 1: But then they figured out, okay, we're done with these damn guns. Let's go around. Because if they were, if they were just trying to run the AMMO out, remember the guns did.
Speaker 3: Run out and then another one got down to like fifteen.
Speaker 1: Or ten, right, and then it left. That was so the first there was two sets. There was a there was the guns on this side and the guns on this side. This side ran out out completely and then they went to the other was.
Speaker 3: Trying to make it get another way around.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I don't think they're trying to run the AMMO down. They're trying to figure out the best way to get.
Speaker 3: Inside, gotcha, And then none of that shit worked. Yeah, but na, this this was good, especially leading up to like when they were and I guess that's the net scene when they're in the roof and I forgot what's the lady rampo because I remember, like when they're up in something and you see all of these motherfuckers coming after them at one time. But nah, that that that cut to them aliens so good.
Speaker 2: It's so fucking good.
Speaker 3: It was absolute cinema because these were people.
Speaker 1: In suits and they look I know you were saying that that, you know, the technology is not as great back then. I think they look better than in the newer ship with all the fucking special effects like these are in These are people in suits crawling like that. It's either yeah they didn't really yeah, you're right, yeah they were, Yeah, these are these are these are mostly practical effects because I mean, cg I wasn't really a thing yet.
Speaker 2: You see CGI it looks terrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, this, This part has always always got me. It's so good man.
Speaker 2: And this is where Ripley got separated from the little girl. Right, it's the next part.
Speaker 1: So this is the part where they bust in the room. They take out Hudson because Hudson has his fucking hero moment. Come on, motherfucker, you want some too, Yeah, yeah, yeah. And then the thing comes up out the aut the bottom and pulls them in. And again that's when you start thinking it's not gonna kill him. It's gonna go fucking cocoons as so all of this fucking whining and crying and he's gonna get the worst death at least these other people. Some of them just get killed and it's like, all right, good, I'm dead. He's gonna get fucking impregnated. But the next part is where they go into these tunnels because they're trying to get to where Bishop and the control center is. So while in the tunnel, Vasquez gets hurt with Lisa, Her and Gorman sacrifice themselves by setting off an explosive which I've always loved this party word.
Speaker 2: Asshole Gorman.
Speaker 1: And this knocks Newt down into that corridor. And this is the part you're thinking, this is when Nuke ends up getting captured by one of the aliens.
Speaker 2: Did y'all think this was it?
Speaker 3: I guest, Yeah, yeah I did.
Speaker 2: I remember when I first saw this thought it was for I was like, god, damn, like for real.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I mean because that that that's usually what follows, like what follows once they got you, like they fucking coculo ass.
Speaker 1: I thought this was awful.
Speaker 3: It's just so good how they they did it. It is like, oh, she falls and because yeah, you you you think it is. She falls into that that round. She's first of all, I've been surviving this whole damn time without you. I am not gonna fall into this damn And when she gets a bottle of the water and she looks around, it's so dark. And at the end you were like, he is this motherfuckerb and this damn ship, you know, and we ain't know what was a but and they're they're chasing them. And then yeah, when when uh Rainbow shot the motherfucking her, lad fucked up. I did like that from sacrificing himself. But yeah, when she falling down, the words so fucking creepy. Yeah, and she still just got that doll that she holding.
Speaker 1: On to until the alien catches are and then they're they're using the flashlight and it shines on the doll's head.
Speaker 2: It's it's just such a good fucking like the way they do this is so good.
Speaker 1: But yes, I don't remember when I was a kid if I thought that was it for new But I could see why someone watching it for the first time be like, oh, well they got exactly.
Speaker 3: I didn't think that was it, but I was. I was scared for because I'm like, I don't know how to fuck. Ripleyn say this woman.
Speaker 1: You must not remember the first one. She went back for a fucking cat. Yeah, yes, she did all that ship, she said, and you, you little ship, you're staying home another ship.
Speaker 2: The cat was like, bitch, I didn't say I was coming.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: I ain't raised my fucking hand ship all right.
Speaker 1: So on the way back to the ship, Hicks ends up getting injured because he shoots an alien that's trying to get into the elevator. Ripley gets him to the ship, but then goes back for Newt, tracing her with that fucking apple watch that Hicks gave her, and she finds Newt and Freezerr, but then discovers that she's in the Queen's lair. What did you think of this part, Spike?
Speaker 5: I wonder how the hell she was gonna get out of it. They did a perfect setup to showing her beating all the other stuff, and I mean she essentially kept the head of a good soldier, but being in the Queen's layer, yes, not having ship really from a from a defense.
Speaker 1: Mechanism, but she had already used the gun. They didn't have anything.
Speaker 3: She reloaded. Yeah, she went and got ammo.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, almost, she had a little bit of AMMO and she had the fire thing and then she had the grenade launchers. Yeah. Okay, so she did have AMMO, but I still feel like she was up ship. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: You see the size of that mother, Yeah yeah, that was crazy. Like this is definitely one of the more the more memorable scene. I know you was talking about the one before, but this is definitely one of the more memorable scenes from me with like just seeing all the fucking eggs and ship. Yeah, just being in that and.
Speaker 3: You see the little girl there with you know, and one of the face huggers come out. Yeah, and it's about to jump out of here, con Ripley, Yeah, shooting the motherfucker.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, when she because she burned them and not that fucking set the queen off or whatever. And yeah, like I said, this part this is this is kind of for me because they queen start fucking chasing her shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of the dopest parts about this scene is if you actually watch carefully, the queen is communicating to everything in there.
Speaker 2: I have I did notice that rewatches, So if you watch, so.
Speaker 1: When Ripley sees that it's a queen, she burns a few of the eggs, and the queen is like, you know, cut that shit out, and she keeps doing it or whatever. And then when Ripley looks around, you see there's a couple of the drones walking in. But then when Ripley starts burning the eggs, the queen kind of like makes it sound and the drones back off because the queen is like, no, this motherfucker's gonna burn all of our eggs. Y'll need to stop sucking with her. She has the upper hand right now, chill out. I've always thought that was so dope. But the dopest part is when Ripley's backing up. One of the eggs beside her opens, and this is this show's gorney weavers, great fucking face acting. She sees the egg opening and she looks at the queen like, bitch, for real.
Speaker 2: I was gonna back up and just leave. But really, you thought that was gonna work.
Speaker 1: You thought you were slick. And then she burns the whole shit and that's when the other drones come in and start trying to attack, and Ripley's taking them out. But yeah, this is a really dope scene. And yeah, the.
Speaker 2: Queen is a bad motherfucker.
Speaker 1: Yes, but if Ripley had to been fucking with shit, the queen would have stayed in there because the queen got dislodged because of all the explosions shit that were happening. But yes, I do think this is also cool because the queen was following them around. But once they get to the landing bay, Bishop is gone. Did you think Bishop actually left for good?
Speaker 3: Yeah, was out of there, you know. And because you know, the android and the other ones or what do they call it, what did it like to be called artificial person? Artificial person?
Speaker 2: Dallas was his name?
Speaker 1: No One, Dallas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, so yeah, I thought was out of there because he had been not creepy, but we remember those are the seen the first I remember he was like, yeah, I'm gonna go do my studies and you know, go look at him and he was like, oh yeah, I want to show y'all something. Yeah, that ships over there. That is about to blow up, by the way, So yeah, I thought I thought was out of there.
Speaker 1: Ash was the other android, Spike. Did you think Bishop had actually left, that he died? He didn't have no faith in my boy thought visit was out you.
Speaker 2: Two rock part not this part. I know, I know everything else after this. This part was.
Speaker 1: This part is actually really really dope because I think they did a great job with the setup because it shows how smart the queen is because they get on the elevator and they go up and then the other elevator dings, and the queen looks over and was like, oh, okay, that's how y'all getting up and down. Cool. But we never see that. We never see that. But then when she gets upstairs and she realized Bishop's gone, and that fucking elevator dings and the queen comes out.
Speaker 2: Man, it's such a good scene.
Speaker 1: And then Ripley's realizing that's it and she says, close your eyes, baby to Newt. And then my boy Bishop comes rising up. Y'all thought I left. Don't call it a comeback. And they jump in the ship and they get back to the Silaco, and you think, this is what's so good about this movie.
Speaker 2: You think over.
Speaker 1: But the Queen was hiding in the landing Year and she comes out and she rips Bishop for your yap, and then a fight ensues. This is the final fight, Spike, what did you think of the final fight? This is when the Queen is going after Newt she gets up in that transformer.
Speaker 5: I thought this was dope. I thought this is probably the iconic point of the movie as far as what people take get away from her. You bitch the machine doing the different things and fighting with the machine. I feel like it was really cool, especially for nineteen eighty six. So yeah, that that was a really dope point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, not yeah, it was you know, uh the way that thing fucked up Bishop, and.
Speaker 2: It was mad, like you killed all my baby, all my babies.
Speaker 3: Yea, And I see you are clearly attached to this little girl because you came all the way back into my home, my house to get.
Speaker 2: Her, and I got her first. You're gonna come back up.
Speaker 3: In here too, yeah, so yeah, so I'm out for vengeance, and you know I'm gonna again showing their intelligence. I'm high in this cargo bay and I'm gonna way for you guys come up, and you know we're just gonna duke it out.
Speaker 4: I'm still trying to think, like what was the Queen's plan though at that point of just revenge revenge, I think the Queen was just like I'm missed the fuck off and ruined everything, so I'm just gonna I mean, it's just like a Mama bear or you know, any of those animals, like they'd say, like they will fuck you up.
Speaker 3: And she had wasn't a callback because then she used one of those things earlier, one.
Speaker 1: Of what things the thing she was, Yeah, she was a loader because they asked She asked a pone and Gorman how she could help, and he was like, I don't know, how can you help? And she's like, well, I can ride one of them loaders and he was like, all right, give it a shot. They thought she was bullshitting and she got up in there and was like, but I can do this ship.
Speaker 3: And she was like, you want it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she paused and they started laughing A sell block three please.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he was so.
Speaker 1: They took him out too early.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I loved extra he.
Speaker 2: Was always had a cigar in his mouth.
Speaker 1: I loved a pone. They took him out way too early, but yeah, man, this scene is absolutely iconic. Get away from her. You I'm not been saying bitch a lot, but that's just the movie.
Speaker 2: Don't blame me.
Speaker 1: But yeah, this was a great final They they duke.
Speaker 2: It out, come on, come on, love all that.
Speaker 1: Ship and they fall into the airlock. Ripley is able to get the queen out into space.
Speaker 2: Which is another iconic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what launching it into space?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: I mean people use that all the time, like launching the Oh that she's not she's in the air locks. She's not outside of it. She's inside.
Speaker 1: It's the air lock and the queen and the machine gets sucked out, but the queen, yea half a bishop, has to hold her. And after this this is the only part, the only part in the whole movie that I do not like, And that's when Ripley climbs out of the air lock and she goes over to New New calls her, Mommy. I hate this every time I watch this, I hate it. I hate it. I hate it.
Speaker 2: I hate it.
Speaker 1: It's ridiculous, it's corny, and it doesn't really make any sense. She met you two days ago. She's not calling you, mommy. This is stupid.
Speaker 2: But tiny gripe, extremely tiny gripe.
Speaker 1: But yeah, they all get back onto the ship, Bishop Hudson, I'm sorry, Hicks, Ripley and New they all get back to the ship and they.
Speaker 2: Leave, right, yes, yeah, yeah, yeah yes.
Speaker 1: New asks if she can dream, and Ripley says we both can because they think everything is over. And the movie ends and it looks happily ever after until we get to Alien and it's like god damn. Which I won't spoil anything, but Alien three is great. But there are some ship that I really think they didn't they shouldn't have done. But uh but yeah, it's a one man's would you watch Alien three? Spike? How thought we already seen this? We ain't watch it. We've seen a couple of them.
Speaker 5: I feel like we gotta say we saw TV show, right, It was a TV show in a movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah you're talking. You're thinking about I've seen the latest one, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Which was good, but you've never seen the first one or that's kind of crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, damn.
Speaker 1: And we gotta do the first one for next one? What huh? Yeah, I ain't look at the text the first one.
Speaker 2: We already did it.
Speaker 1: I'm almost positive we already did the first Alien forty.
Speaker 3: When you said this ship was forty years old, bro.
Speaker 1: I was like, man, fuck man, this is the eighty six. I don't know why Jalen sent this text.
Speaker 5: They said, well, no, that's this is for July, and it's the first one from seventy nine?
Speaker 2: What from?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: No, we dont we did this?
Speaker 2: Says eighty six.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I'm confused, but yeah, I don't understand what I thought that was the next one said for July. I need to wrap this up. I forgot we were still recorded.
Speaker 4: Anyway, make sure y'all go back and watch and listen to our review of the first Alien from seventy whatever it.
Speaker 1: Was seventy nine, and maybe we will get to Alien three. We'll see.
Speaker 2: But yeah, y'all happy we did this?
Speaker 3: Good? Aeah right, Yeah, I am I'm always done to watch Alien.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, make sure y'all go become a Patreon supporter so maybe you'll get a, I don't know, some input into what we review.
Speaker 1: And Jalen, real quick, was there a reason you sent this text?
Speaker 4: I mean, you could just tell them what one I mean, people who live on patrens.
Speaker 1: Okay, Just so y'all know, there's a couple other movies that were in the running. I mean, I won't even name the ones that got absolutely slaughtered, but Train Spotting was in the running and Boys in the Hood was in the running. But yeah, we we'll. I'm sure we'll get to those at some point if people keep nominating them. But if you want to be able to nominate some movies and vote for the movies, go become a Patreon supporter, and yeah, help you boys out man. But we will see y'all next time.
Speaker 3: Peace, peacey s game over, Man over.