Speaker 1: Hi Oh, Let's go hi oh, Let's go Oh, Let's go oh, Let's go.
Speaker 2: The moto back a save stop one to seven point nine FM WBT. Brett Jensen here on a Monday night edition of Breaking with Brett Jensen, as we go up to seven o'clock tonight like we always do. Seven oh four five, seven oh one oh seven nine is the telephone number that is also the WBT text on, driven of course by a Liberty Buick GMC and guys follow me on X at Brett Underscore Jensen for all the lettuce and breaking news in and around the Charlotte area. And if you follow me on then you would have seen all the big stories that I broke on Friday. And again one was Camara's County. One was Union County. This is why I tell you to follow me on X. All right, so we got a lot, we're going to get into it tonight, but we're gonna start off with something different. And when casinos was a thing a few years ago and there's a big fight in the Senate and the House about this up in Raleigh, we did deep dives into this sports gambling. I did deep dives into sports gambling and was telling you you know, whether it's pros or cons. Where people were out to lunch and just clueless on some of the things that they were saying, who literally knew nothing that they were talking about. Like in the casinos, they said that the mafia, hookers and drugs will show up in Anson County if there's a casino built. Mafia is not showing up in Anson County. Nobody shows up to Anson County. But with that being said, as matter of fact, I think twenty five thousand people lived there. So with that being said, I want to do a deep dive into what's going to be making headlines over the next oh forty eight hours or less, and that is the hemp situation, and specifically not hemp that makes cotton cloth like shirts replacements for cotton and stuff like that, but specifically THHC, not medical marijuana. We're not talking about that. We're talking about hemp and THHC stuff that you can get now in Ashville. Like I was in Ashville over the weekend and breweries up there had THHC drinks. They had three different levels two milligrams, five milligrams, ten milligrams, and basically think of it as alcoholic content. Two was very very light, ten is very very strong. In five is sort of like Goldilocks just right, so for a lot of people. But there's going to be a vote potentially either tomorrow night, tomorrow evening while we're on air, or just before we go on air, or Wednesday, about getting of THHC drinks and THHC all together. It's not yet federally outlawed by or it's not yet federally considered a federal crime, or it's not federally outlawed by any stretch of the imagination, but yet there's gonna be discussions about it, and there seems to be a lot of people torn on what to do. So I thought, you know what, let's do this. Let's bring in a couple of people to discuss this topic tonight. And Scott Brown is with us tonight, and he's got a company that helps produce THHC. And we've also got friend of the program, Jamie Daniel, who's in to talk about the business side of things and the economic impact that it may or may not have on the state of North Carolina. So, guys, first of all, thanks for coming tonight, and Scott, I'll start with you just because a lot of people are novices about this stuff. In THCHC, just explain the difference between saying a THHC drink from a brewery or a gummy as opposed to taking a hit on a joint.
Speaker 3: What's the difference, Well, I mean to understand the two different things smoking it taking a hit from a joint that could either be from marijuana or that could be from hemp.
Speaker 4: Right, marijuana is.
Speaker 3: Regulated in multiple states. It's defined as anything that's over point three percent delta nine it has a more intoxicating effect, whereas hemp is UH determined as less than point three percent delta nine. Inside inside the hemp industry, there's a lot of products that have been developed and created that have been that are widely available.
Speaker 4: Throughout the marketplace.
Speaker 3: Hemp drinks that are available at Total Wine, that are available at certain hemp stores and so forth. And then you have hemp gummies, right, and those gummies have less in lesson point nine but a point three percent delta nine.
Speaker 4: But they're widely available.
Speaker 3: Right Whereas in the state of North Carolina there is actually not medical water whatsoever, so it's the only way that they're able to access products that have tec in general.
Speaker 4: They also have full spectrum CBD.
Speaker 3: They also have other caminoids that have at trace levels and so forth.
Speaker 4: And these these products and so forth provide multiple different effects for the veterans.
Speaker 3: They for anxiety, for pain, and so forth. So it's a product that they're able to get. They're able to get it at like I said, total wine and so forth. And not all these products are all fully intoxicate in some are, some are not, but there they have a huge help and benefit to like I said, all the different consumers, veterans and so forth.
Speaker 2: So to clear up a where people may not know. And like even in college, I didn't like marijuana, So I'm want to put that out there for the listeners to know. But the I was getting some information about this today and it will probably surprise a lot of the listeners, like it did me. The average consumer of a hemp product drink it's just selts of water flavored selts of water with hemp in it. It's not alcohol with hemp. It's just it's just selts of water with hemp in it. And you can, like you said, buy it it breweries or whatever. And Asheville, I think it was forty three forty four breweries that sell it, either they make it in house or whatever. But the average person that consumes this is a thirty six year old white woman that lives in the suburbs. That sounds about right, yeah, And I was like, well, there goes the rose all day theory for the suburban white women. But so that surprised me that that's who the average consumer is.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a healthy alternative, is what it's became.
Speaker 3: Right. A lot of people don't want to drink alcohol, and that's one of the big things that's also happening here. Currently, marijuana and or hemp and now have a higher usage rates per day than alcohol and cigarettes. So it's been a huge shift in the marketplace. Like I said, it's a healthy alternative. People don't want to be hungover, people don't want the negative effects from alcohol, and so they've turned into something that actually has medical benefits but also gives them relaxation, helps with anxiety, helps them with sleep, you know. And that's why it's had this huge craze, And that's why you're seeing in consumers thirty six soccer mom, like you said, white woman, so forth, and you've seen and so it's really starting to grow, especially in the baby boomers.
Speaker 2: So House Built three twenty eight is going to be put forth in Caucus late tomorrow afternoon, and some of the things in it you people like you and your industry are in favor of. In terms of regulation. One of the big billboards they had at one of the breweries in Nashville over the weekend, I actually took a photo of it was regulate don't ruin because they want it regulated as well. And I did not realize that currently North Carolina doesn't have an age for you have to be twenty one to buy, but there is no age for hamp right now.
Speaker 4: That is correct.
Speaker 3: I mean we've been trying to get an age regulation bill in place. We have a SB three twenty eight that was passed and then pass one oh six to one in the House and kick back to the Senate for concurrence and they never passed it. We put through other bills five sixty one with that has regulation. We have plenty of bills that have gone through trying to get this done and we haven't. We haven't been successful. Our goal is to go ahead and regulate. Our goal is to make it to where miners cannot get the product safe access testing the whole nine yards.
Speaker 4: We just haven't been able to get that done.
Speaker 2: When we come back, we're gonna really get into the business side of things and the economic sides, and what everyone else needs to understand is this isn't really a Republican Democrat issue. Just like casinos wasn't, sports gambling wasn't. This is, you know, a lot, very very much of a bipartisan thing, and a lot of people don't know what to do up and rally. They are really on the fence one way or the other. But we're going to talk about economic side of hemp and what it's doing and what it provides North Carolina, and you may be surprised by some of the results, just like I was.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to breaks here on this money in that edition as we go up until seven o'clock like we do every single night, Scott Brown, Jamie Daniel, they're in studio with me tonight to talk about the hemp industry, not medical marijuana.
Speaker 2: People understand need to understand there's a major difference. And just like we did deep dives into sports gambling in North Carolina, casinos in North Carolina, this is a big thing that's gaining a lot of notoriety, and so it figured it let's have some people in it. So we just talked to Scott about like exactly what it is and that what they're doing now, this bill would basically outlaw all hemp products and essentially make it like o'dule's beer, essentially non alcoholic beer, non alcohol non THHC level for gum. And it's not against the law from a federal standpoint by any stretch of the imagination.
Speaker 4: So people need to understand that.
Speaker 2: But there are some things in this bill that people want to have happen, like raising the age to twenty one. Currently there is no age limit in South Carolina. You could literally be twelve years old or in North Carolina be twelve years old and buy this in North Carolina. And there are a couple other things that the hemp industry would like to see past and that the people up in Raleigh are debating, and so Jamie, we just I want to talk about the business side of this for a little bit because I don't think because I sure as hell didn't, but I don't think a lot of people maybe understand the economic impact from a state even if it's regulated and you've got to be twenty one, just like you have to be to buy cigarettes. But just the economic standpoint of what we're looking at from a state statewide bringing in dollars wise, sure.
Speaker 6: I mean, our state has been troubled with manufacturing since twenty two, twenty one. We've started to see it come back, as well as our commercial real estate, which took a major hit during COVID. If this industry goes away, they're going to lose sixteen thousand just.
Speaker 7: In that industry.
Speaker 6: That doesn't include all of the vendors, the corrugated box companies, the trucking companies, the ink vendors that will be you know, hit by this because they will lose employees, commercial real estate, all these businesses, all of these have industry and different stores are occupying space. Commercial real estate will take a hit, and we've just seen.
Speaker 7: It come back.
Speaker 6: We talk about North Carolina being you know, a great place to live and work these companies and I can speak because I do work with Scott.
Speaker 7: His company pays a living wage.
Speaker 6: I mean, these are you know, four to five hundred employees just in the Charlotte market that will be without a job when this bill is passed.
Speaker 2: And again this is I keep feeling like I have to keep saying this is not medical marijuana, this is not recreation marijuana. And so I always feel like I have to keep saying this is something completely different, and this is also not against the law at a federal level. Marijuana is against the law at a federal level. This is not. So I just feel like I have to say that from a dollar cent standpoint, from a monetary figure, do we have an impact? Do we have an I've heard a couple different numbers from one billion, one point five billion, two billion industry. Do you have any insight on that? Yeah? I do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's four point four billion, four point four four point four billion, seven hundred and three million dollars in wages that would be.
Speaker 4: Lost, sixteen thousand jobs. Sixteen thousand jobs would be lost. So it's a large amount. This isn't smallest four point four million.
Speaker 3: The state collects eighty eight eighty nine million dollars just off of sales tax and so forth off of it.
Speaker 4: So it's a big industry, it's a lot. It's a huge hit.
Speaker 2: What would happen if they said, you know, what's got fine? You know, we understand we're going to raise the age to twenty one, as it should be. I think most people agree with that one, and I know you agree with that. But you know what, We're gonna actually tax it a little heavier, maybe like we do tobacco or alcohol.
Speaker 4: Will you guys be okay with that one hundred percent?
Speaker 3: That's actually what we have in both the bills that we have out right now. So we have a five percent excise tax on there for the state. We'll even go higher. I mean, the one thing we want to do is you don't want to excize it too much to where now it's not a product that actually makes sense. But we are there for we want to have a tax. Tennessee just went through the same program. They just went through. They did an excise tax and so forth, and their program is running well. So they found a way to go ahead and regulate and tax it. We want to regulate and tax it.
Speaker 6: And I think what people may need to really realize is that just because it leaves North Carolina doesn't mean it doesn't show up in another state. So these jobs and these people will leave our state, which means all of the economy will now be affected.
Speaker 7: Your grocery stores.
Speaker 6: Everything that where they're shopping is not This isn't just an industry that they're getting ready to take out.
Speaker 7: These are people's livelihoods.
Speaker 2: Well, and I will say this, and you know, not trying to be a cheerleader one way or the other here, but North Carolina borders for states, and damn near everyone in this state lives near another state, whether it's Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina, or Virginia, and they can go elsewhere and get the same thing and just bring it back across the state lines.
Speaker 4: Correct one arm?
Speaker 2: Wow? Excuse me? All right? So I know we I already planned on two segments, but I have two segments. But if you guys can stick around for one more segment, I'd appreciate that because there's a couple of other things I want to get into. And like I said, I was actually in Asheville over the weekend, and I know Ashville is not your typical North Carolina town. I get it, but but I do want to. I did interview a bar manager up there in terms of a brewery and where they make their own THHC products, and so I want to I wanted to get you guys reaction on that. Welcome back to were Breaking with Fred Jenson talking about the hemp industry and House bill. As a matter of fact, we've got a bill that's probably going to be introduced tomorrow Housepel three twenty eight that would outlaw hemp all together. And again, I'm not talking about stuff that they make into clothes or things like that. And we're not talking about marijuana for recreational use or medical marijuana or anything like this. We're talking about an industry that is not against the law federally and the economic impact. You heard Scott Brown who's in the hemp industry, and also Jamie Daniel who's here with us, who talks about is the business side of it, because it's not just the people, as she laid out, it's it's the truck drivers, it's the packaging companies, it's you know, all the printing companies, it's all the above that could be impacted by this if this is actually voted tomorrow, which would basically outlaw help for the most part, I want you to hear this audio again. Over the weekend, I was in Ashville and talking to his name is Johan, and he works at a brewery and he said, they just started selling THHC drinks. May twenty ninth was the exact date, and he said it has been by far their biggest return of investment in terms of products. They get the most profit off of this. Then they do any other thing that they make, food, their own beer or whatever. And he said, every single bar in Asheville selsy Strins. Now, I know Ashville's a unicorn in the state of North Carolina. It's actually a unicorn in America, but except for San fred and Austin. But but he was like Brent, he goes, it's not the gen Z that's buying it. And you won't hear this in the interview, but he said, it's not the gen Z that's buying it. He said, it's your thirty five and older people. It is your older millennials. It is your gen X that is buying these products. So I did ask him about this, and I just want you to guys to hear what he had to say.
Speaker 8: It has definitely been in the discussion. Yeah, it's been a very worrying development. It's again provided us an excellent opportunity to diversify our income streams and you know, a challenging market space. So we are very concerned. We would like to trust our elected officials to do the right thing and allow us to continue selling these beverages with some regular or with some sensible regulation.
Speaker 2: So, Jamie, from a business standpoint, do you understand a small business and how this might under this might undercut somebody like a brewery.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, as a small business owner, I understand that when you have revenue lines and you take them away, that causes jobs to go away as much as the business line does.
Speaker 2: And Scott, you know, this is the industry that you've chosen. You said, you know to have trust in the elected officials to do the right thing. But it's not always as cut and dry. There's always there tends to be either. You know, people are behind the scenes trying to push for things as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's correct. I mean the hemp space lives amongst the alcohol space in the marijuana space. Right, there's three different spaces here that are all at work. Because the hemp space dives in and cuts into the profits of the marijuana space and the alcohol space. You have alcohol users leave an alcohol for hemp, and you have marijuana users leaving marijuana for hemp.
Speaker 4: Because of the cost and because of the access.
Speaker 3: So you have these big forces that are all playing at this and they're trying to chop down the hemp industry to grow themselves alcohol. Like I said, alcohol has been losing consumers and marijuana has been losing consumers.
Speaker 4: So here in the federal level we have a fight between all of them.
Speaker 3: In this state wide level, obviously alcohol is in play, but it's really the MSOs the marijuana that are coming in and they're trying to push and they're trying to create a market where they have medical marijuana and they're trying to push out the hemp market, which the hemp market is a free market and marijuana market is a monopoly market. To where there's a couple of players.
Speaker 2: The show at one of seven oh four five, seven oh one oh seven nine, driven by Liberty View at GMC Texter sends into the show Brett I use almost daily, great for sleeping and recovery and recovery from working out. I hope this bill does not go through. And people a lot of times think that again, oh, it's just because it's in these drinks that are sort of like alcohol. But this is just a normal like again, the person listening to my show, is not the person that you would see walking down the streets in Ashville. Like, they're not the same person. They don't look the same. I promise you. Their income's not the same and their education levels probably aren't the same. But yet this person just sent me that text.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's correct. I mean this is used by the normal person. Most people might not understand it. But they use the gummies for sleep, they use the gummies for anxiety. They'll use they'll smoke because another product is inhalable, but that inhalable isn't sure heavy T. There's full specialum, CBD, there's CBG, there's TCV, there's different caminoids that have different effects. And so they're using this for their daily life, whether it's sleep, anxiety, you know, any condition, you know, PTSD, whatever it might be. They're relying on these products. And that's what's happening right now. This bill will completely kill this industry and access to these products, and you'll have thousands upon thousands of users that will not be able to get the things that they rely on.
Speaker 2: Well, and Jamie knows what a freak show I am about, like animals and stuff like that, and she knows the deal that I went through with my Golden retriever. So do all the listeners over the last two years with her getting older and having issues walking a lot of times or whatever. And the vet actually recommended HEMP for Meg. She said, have you ever been She goes, I'm not talking CBD, she goes, I'm actually talking about hemp and to alleviate and help with the joints. And there's certain kind that you can get and this and that, like there's different varying things of CBD or whatever. There's also she said, there were different varying things and this was actually coming from my vet. It was recommending this for my dog.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's that's a huge part of the market that people don't really understand is also the vets. I mean is the animals. There's a lot of products and not just like you're saying CBD. We're talking about TC products because it leaves the pain. And then you know, when you have a combination of TC and CBD, you also are able to have a entourage effect. So where you have the pain, you have the healing, you have the soothing, you have the calmness, the anxiety because animals have anxiety as well, I mean it's the whole night are so it's definitely heavily used for pets and that will be gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I said, this was the THHC. She was just like, just go to a vape shop, just go buy some. Tell the people this is what you're looking for to help with the aches and pains or whatever, and go use this.
Speaker 4: I said.
Speaker 2: I had never, like I said, never even considered me or entered my brain. That's something like that that a vet would be suggesting that I go to the local shop and buy some for my golden retriever. Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, and it definitely works. I mean I have a golden retriever as well. I've had one that you know, had that hips out of one previously, and we use a lot of THC CBD have products with them, and.
Speaker 2: It really helped well. So I want to make sure everyone I keep reiterating this because almost feel like I have to. In North Carolina, you have to be twenty one to buy cigarettes, you have to be twenty one to buy alcohol. Just oddly enough, you can be twelve and buy THHC drinks, although like breweries and reputable places won't sell to people that are unless they're twenty one. Just like the breweries in North up in Asheville, none of them sell to anyone under the age of twenty one. They refuse what legally they probably could. And you guys they're in the hemp industry, are asking for ages to be raised to twenty one, to put in regulations to make it safe for everyone. And I know this is a big concern for you. What happens to you if this if this bill actually passes tomorrow or Wednesday.
Speaker 3: If this bill passes tomorrow wins, our business shuts down in North Carolina. We end up moving to a different state and continue to a business. But North Carolina shut down. That's eight hundred jobs.
Speaker 4: That's just you, that's just me. And then there's.
Speaker 3: Multiple closed associates that all have hundreds of jobs each. So when we're talking sixteen thousand jobs, you know, just between a handful of us already see a couple thousands right there.
Speaker 4: So we're all gone.
Speaker 3: One of my close associates that has Apotheca fifty three source shutdown overnight.
Speaker 4: Right, So this is what's gonna en up happening.
Speaker 3: They're going to shut it down, They're gonna lose business and we're going to be forced to go somewhere else.
Speaker 2: And Jamie, like you said earlier, in just the last couple of seconds that we have here before we head to the break, and it's not just the hemp industry, it's others that could be impacted.
Speaker 7: By this absolutely.
Speaker 6: I mean when they you know, as their product's being made, they're relying on other industries to support their products, within packaging, within shipping, within even customer service agents. I mean, there's a lot of industries that people don't look at. They're just seeing the hemp industry and not realizing that behind them are people and employees that are.
Speaker 7: Making a living wage.
Speaker 6: We continue to talk about, you know, the ability to live, work and play here in North Carolina. Those people are going to be out of a job, on unemployment and on social service programs. And isn't that what we're all fighting to make sure that people have living wages. And this group I can say in a test because I work with them, that they are paying living wages to their employees.
Speaker 2: Well, Scott Brown, I really do appreciate you coming in here. Like like I said, you're part of the hip industry, You're in the middle of it. I know you're probably headed to Raleigh tonight because a lot you know, they're going to be voting on it, you know, or at least talking about it tomorrow, maybe voting on it tomorrow evening or on Wednesday. And Jamie, you are heading up there to represent some of the small business communities and stuff going on with that. And again I always feel like I have to say this just in case someone's joining us late, because the average listener spends about eight minutes listening to radio because they're in the car. Whatever. This is not against the law federally. This is not legal marijuana. It's not medical marijuana. This is actually legal. To your point, you said total wine and others sell this. Correct, That is correct, yea. So again it's not marijuana or anything like that. So I just always feel like I have to put that out there because sometimes people can get confused or whatever. But again, Scott and Jamie, I really do appreciate you guys coming in here tonight.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you having us, Thank you for taking us.
Speaker 7: Thank you. Brett.
Speaker 2: Going back to breaking with Regnans in here for a couple more minutes. We went very long in that segment, so we only got a couple of minutes here, and we're gonna be doing this all over again tomorrow. But real quick, I just want to reiterate something that Scott and Jimmie wanted me to pass along, that this bill they believe is being misrepresented. It's not just an age, hey, we want to raise the age to twenty one. Apparently everyone the breweries in North Calinda are up in Ashville that I spoke to, they want everything to be raised to twenty one the aged in order to consume this product. But what is this bill would do is basically make it essentially everything as in an old Duels beer oduleS I think has zero point two percent alcohol or zero point one percent alcohol for an Odule's beer non alcoholic beer. This would make all your THHC and stuff like that basically non alcoholic. And so it would put it at a zero point four, which is essentially the same thing as it would be, say an alcohol zero point two zero point one, just like an Oddul's beer. So it's not just hey, we want to raise the age to twenty one. It would essentially wipe out the entire industry, which is why I wanted to have them in here, because if this is past. Then you're talking about there will be an economic fallout whether you like the industry. And I, like I said, I you know, I'm in my fifties and I haven't smoked marijuana since I was probably twenty two years old. I just never liked it. Was just never a fan of it. But that doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of others. There are a lot of people who don't like merlow wine. I hate merlow wine, but it doesn't mean it should be outlawed or it should be taken away from those who do like it. And again, if this is not federally outlawed, then why is the state of North Carolina essentially going to outlaw This is the million dollar question that people are grappling with, and especially when you're talking about you know, roughly four billion dollars and anywhere from sixteen to twenty two thousand jobs that are immediately gone's that's a big thing. That's a big thing. And again, not medical marijuana, not recreational marijuana, and also not federally against the law. All right, everyone that's going to do it for us tonight. Again, thanks to Scott Brown and Jamie Daniel for joining me. In studio tonight. Tomorrow we'll have a lot of other stuff to get into, so until then, everyone TJ. Richie's coming out next. My name is Brett Jensen, and you have been listening to Breaking with Brett Jensen.