Speaker 1: The Frames per Second Podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to another episode of The Frame Second Podcast. I'm your host for the evening. MY name is Mike. Next to me, I have Rod next to me, I have Spike. Next Spike, I have Ken and we are talking about the movie Weapons and this is the newest movie from Zach Kraiger.
Speaker 1: One thing I didn't realize is, uh, this is the same guy that did Barbarian. So we're never seen. I haven't you told me not to see it? I thought, I remember telling you not to see it. I thought she said, don't don't bother. No, that wasn't me. That wasn't me. If it was me, I don't know why I would have told you that I really liked Barbarian. I wanted to watch of course, No, no, not, of course I didn't want to watch it. I thought, you don't like order. That's why I said that. I mean, but you Ken said it say what? Oh no, that's why he just said what He just said.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I've watched Barbarian.
Speaker 1: But no, I mean I mean that that was around the whole time I was watching, like like all that stuff.
Speaker 2: You know what, Rod, I may have said that now that I'm thinking about it because I didn't like Barbarian on the first watch. Okay, so I might have if I had just watched it, that might have been me that it don't bother. It took me another viewing before I really liked it because I didn't realize there was one of those message movies. So when I watched it the first time, I was like, this was stupid. But then when I understood what they were doing and I watched it again, I was like, oh, I get it now, so you know what that that that may have been me, So I apologize, but yeah, go ahead and check out Barbarian. But did you like Weapons?
Speaker 1: I did? I did like Weapons. I hadn't. I don't think I had seen any previews of it, and if I did, it was a very short one or something like I just remember like the whole kids with the ORMs out type shit. But the previously the good job of not review ship it did a really good that's good. So yeah, nah, but I enjoyed it. Man. It was it was. It was like like a mystery horror type type situation. So now I was for it. What about you, Spike? I was really excited about this. Seeing one preview didn't dive into seeing another one because I wanted to ruin it. But the guy you had me. I enjoyed it up until the end because I didn't see Barbrarians and I ain't realize he tries to add humor here into his movies and things like that. He comes from comedy apparently. Yeah, and because I did a little reading afterwards, so I was locked in until that last scene. You know. I didn't like the climax, but I liked the movie. I enjoyed it. We're gonna let that go. I'm gonna let it go. Man, be the mature one. Are you being mature? Yes? Let it go? Yep. No, I didn't even think about it. I don't even get.
Speaker 4: You can't even happen automatic.
Speaker 1: That's you. I'm the fucking with you either. You like this movie? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, yeah I did. I did.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed it, Yeah yeah, yeah yeah I did.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, Yes, I absolutely loved this movie start to finish. I like this more than Barbarian, and I really enjoyed Barbarians.
Speaker 1: So this is one of those few films that happens where I sit down, I'm like, all right, I have no idea, what's about to happen, and I'm locked in for the whole two hours, and not a moment went by where I was like, this is this is dull? Where this is stupid? The whole time I'm laughing at the humor. Man, I did a good job with that. It did just at the very really because it wasn't overdone. It was it was very subtle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, all right, I guess we'll get in to the parts that Spike didn't like, but that's probably later. But yeah, it starts with the little girl saying that this is a true story. A lot of people died and it was covered up.
Speaker 1: Even that was great, like having her narrated at the beginning. I did we ever see her in the movie? Thanks? I didn't think so either. Yeah, that was really good, so I thought that was mainly interesting and stuff. So yep. Then the movie moves on to Maybrook Elementary School.
Speaker 2: We meet Justine Candy played by Julia Garner, and we find out that none of the students in her class showed up except for one kid named Alex. All the kids left at two seventeen am. So did y'all like the sequence showing how the kids were running out of the house.
Speaker 1: That was great. Yeah, yeah, I love seeing even that was like it was creepy and just kind of like settling. Yeah, unsubdling, like especially having a kid, like oh man, that was that was wild. Man. You lucky I'm nowhere near your household, because I would one hundred percent like tell Dom to run like that at you one night unexpected. That would probably scared blog closed line. Oh my god, I would totally do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah the beginning, Yeah, definitely, because you know, as as a parent, you were like, what the funk would I do if I woke up and so my kids running out there all kind of crazy and ship, and my kids watch anime, so I'm like, what kind of y'all saying I have to run like anime?
Speaker 4: Y'all serious?
Speaker 1: But what's funny? Dumb does run like that? Sometimes it's the anime ship Yeah, yeah, anime ship Broy Yeah yeah, they be doing that ship. Kenda will be doing that ship.
Speaker 3: Miles used to do that ship when Kend when he was younger, he used to be doing that ship. So he's motherfucker running all weird and ship brocu.
Speaker 1: It was on social media some father was like, why fuck you running like that? I think. I think it's because that's the that's the one we're getting sidetracked against this how much how my ship goes along?
Speaker 3: That was dope because when I was watching, I was like, oh, they running They're not running out at the same time.
Speaker 1: They running out like one by one.
Speaker 3: It was like, so I thought that was dope, Like you'll see run take off and the show it and then hear them the other one and there, so I was like, oh, that's yeah.
Speaker 1: It was the same time, but it just they they did all run out at seventeen, which okay, I was, yeah, they tell you the first couple of yeah, but I thought they were like so they all just ran out. I was at the same time.
Speaker 3: I was like, she snapped it and then they got up and it just took some of them longer to get to the door to get out.
Speaker 2: It was they all left the house at exactly to seventeen. Because I was like, okay, what's happening at two seventeen? I figured it was like a Drake con sir, you know, But yeah, man, I was immediately again locked in. I'm like, what the fun kids?
Speaker 1: But my first thought was like what time period are we in? Because of the ring cameras and stuff. I'm like, well, people will be able to see where the they went. With the ring cameras, you can only see so far, but if it's depending on each house, have them you can see what they end up. Always they go by, Yeah, are you talking about that other ring?
Speaker 2: They explained why that didn't work later, Remember when they were triangulating it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. I was just saying, that's That's one of the thoughts I had when I saw Really I got when we get to explain it. I wasn't paying attention, Naha. I liked it, just the end was goofy.
Speaker 2: So after showing the cops interviewing Alex and hearing that he doesn't know what's happening, it shows us a school meeting and uh, this is when the little girl says, this is when the story really starts, and the first title shows up saying, Justine Spike, where did you think about what went down at the school meeting? I thought they were being a fetched that lady like she one. I thought they were being unfair to her because it's clearly I didn't think that she'd have anything to do with it. And to the introduction when somebody yelled it of which and then they the spray paint later introduced me to the idea, Okay, there must be a witch in the movie somewhere like they I think they subtly laid that out and did the perfect revealer when she popped on screen.
Speaker 1: So I liked this because of what it introduced. Okay, yeah, they were being unfair and irrational, but when you have kids, that's what I credited, Like, there's there, there's like what happened in that classroom. There's only one person that got to know some shit, That's what I was thinking.
Speaker 3: And her, she's the one that she's the common denominator in this whole thing. We don't know what, we don't know how you know, it don't even matter where the goddamn.
Speaker 1: Everything, Because I would think y'all are in the same I would think y'all would be crazy. If y'all tell me, are you the comment? I'm like, I just teach you what are y'all talking about? Nah, you gotta think about it like this, like like shit, they have your kid for most of the day, Like your kid goes to school from that morning to that afternoon. They see they see your kid more than you do. So it's like what the fuck, Like, like, how the fuck you don't know what's going on? Like like it's like you you know, you you something happened in the class. So when that guy, when the guy was asking like, no, what the fuck does she know? I was like I was him before he even started saying it. So if there was a school shooting, and the school shooting happened and it took out most of the people but only in her class, would you have the same stance. If it took out most of the people but only in her class.
Speaker 2: Would you be like, well, this is your fault. You're the common denominator. You have something to do with this. I still would be questioning.
Speaker 1: I'm like, why why they coming from your class? It's somebody that you know, somebody that you fucking interested, Like like yeah, I don't know, Like I just feel like I still got questions for that particular teacher.
Speaker 2: So we're gonna circle back to that later. But yeah, that's an interesting stance.
Speaker 4: Yeah I wouldn't necessarily, but I think that's that's.
Speaker 1: Different.
Speaker 3: But there something happened in the classroom to cause that to happen, And what were you doing as a teacher to either to not regulate the class behavior. But either way, while it's I understood their reaction, kind of My my thing was it was like, well, they ran from your fucking house, you know, but you're you're not thinking about that.
Speaker 1: It's like all the kids ran from the house at the same time. So I guess what I'm saying is like, they're in my care when it happened. And that's the part I thought the parents were missing, Like, nah, you had you know, you have to have a whole some sort of responsible.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, but still it all all of us experienced the same thing, and she's the only one that that's.
Speaker 2: Just common here, not really because Alex didn't nothing happened to him, but the parents weren't freaking out on.
Speaker 1: Him like that.
Speaker 2: I think this is interesting, and especially the fact that y'all are backing up the mentality, I think it's really really well, well, they were trying, thought they were trying to question the kids.
Speaker 1: The cops did Alex, what do you know exactly? And like, like you said, kid, like y'all were at home. This wasn't in my classroom, right, It's just weird that it was her classroom. That like the old but I know it's not her fault. But I understood the rationale behind the parents though that that's what I think. That's the part that I guess we're saying, I have a parcive Yah. Yeah, like I get, I totally get while they acted like that. Even when they were acting that way, I was like, but y'all, they were asleep in your at your house, in your bed. But I understand them saying that. But all of the kids in her room were the ones that are missing, and I so and not and trying to figure out what is her involvement in is disappearance? I knew it wasn't. I know, we got to move on. But like to me, that that gave that she didn't have much involvement because because they put so much focus on it, but she was acting weird.
Speaker 2: Though Yeah, I never got her acting weird. And I thought immediately that the parents were being completely irrational and not taking responsibility for your own fucking kids.
Speaker 1: So I found that part to be very interesting. But again, well we're gonna we're gonna circle back to that later. And parents never rarely sometimes they rarely do. That's the point, that is absolute point but yes, after being harassed while at the liquor store and as well as her home, like Spike mentioned, she comes out and finds the word which written on her car, and then she is put on probation by her boss, Marcus, who's played by I don't remember his real Benedict Wong, Yeah, because his name is Wong in Marvel.
Speaker 2: Just out of just real quick, did anybody get any sketchy byes from her? Because if you remember what Wong was asking her about her behaving inappropriately, did any of that stick.
Speaker 1: I think they did a good job of explaining why they would suspect her if people knew her background like their father did, like if he did his research and know that she took a child home. Like that scene was really good in saying, oh, okay, this is why. But no, I didn't suspect her. No I didn't. It definitely seemed like a misdirection.
Speaker 3: But you know, I understood in that city very much like what Spike is saying, is like there were some questionable things that she did, you know, dropping kids home and stuff like that. You know, in her mind probably being a parent, a teacher that cared, which is kind of what you want but we're in a world where there's a lot of distrust when it comes to extracurricular activities, Like I don't think we exist in that world nowadays.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they That's one thing. I thought that they laid the mis direction on a little too thick, making her like an alcohol again, just kind of sketchy and all that. I was like, Okay, it's not her.
Speaker 2: So after waving at a cop, she ends up meeting this cop at a bar, and this is when we meet Paul. What did you think, Rod about what went down with her and Paul at the bar, actually, the whole scene with her and Paul, if.
Speaker 1: You remember, I do remember, Yeah, I mean I didn't really think much of it. I mean they just were, you know, messing around. I didn't. I didn't. I didn't. Yeah, I didn't. I didn't look into it too much. I just thought that they were just messing around or whatever. It's just somebody she could can find it. Hey, that Percy Sledge song. Though they were google it. I got that. I had to look it up when that's f five man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so nobody picked up on the fact that he was an addict and that she's pushing him I.
Speaker 1: Didn't get that until the wife said something. I thought that he just didn't want anything to drink. But I did, like he didn't just want something to drink. Why she was pushing? Yeah, I did, like, I'm sorry. I did like that. This was the first scene that she seemed like not a teacher, like a normal person. Like this made her, This scene made her more relatable. I feel like, yeah, I mean it seemed like she was because I'm like, dang, like she she had a very emotional moment. She's there, you know, at this bar.
Speaker 3: She clearly wants to unpack, but she and she is almost like I'll jump right to it.
Speaker 1: She's a piece of shit.
Speaker 4: It's like, what the fuck are you doing?
Speaker 1: Why you continue to push this man to take this drink for your own selfish reasons. But we found out he was a piece of shit later, I know, but still at this moment, like this is what she was doing. She she knew that he was an addict and what could happen and she still kept trying to get him to have a drink even though he repeatedly said no.
Speaker 2: So I don't know if she if she knew he was an addict. Oh, real, only thing I know for a fact that she knew was that he didn't want to drink.
Speaker 1: And he kept pushing it because I don't. I don't think at any point she.
Speaker 2: Said anything about his addiction or he said anything about his addiction, but he just kept saying I don't want to drink, and she was like.
Speaker 1: What really? Why not you want a coke? Just have one drink.
Speaker 2: So, even if she didn't know he was an addict, if he's like, I don't want to drink tonight, why are you pushing it?
Speaker 1: And then it gets to the point, obviously where he gets drunk, and we'll talk about that part later when it comes back up, but.
Speaker 2: We also see that, you know, they go home together and after not being able to get anything out of him in regards to the investigation, Justin decides to follow Alex home and she gets to the house and finds it in.
Speaker 1: A very odd way. Rod, what did you think about what went down when she got to the house once, I thought the whole thing was stupid, Like why are you following this kid home? When she got to the house. Yeah, like because people was talking to my theater ship was packed a yeah, it was later on the phone yes, why didn't you tell on her? I'm telling about she had a full blown conversation. I mean a scary move right now, I swear see for how long? Like the whole scene that's crazy, that's crazy move. She got off As soon as I was gonna get up and like move to the other side of the theater, she was like having full blown conversations like are you serious? It was crazy. Yeah, people were just talking to the screen and ship like that. But but nah, Yeah, it did look look crazy that she was going around this house looking in the windows or whatever. Yeah, I definitely thought something bad was gonna happen. But nah, they had a couple of moments with her where I thought something that bad was gonna happen, specially when the stuff in the house with her prior to this, I really thought something was gonna happen then, So she just kept being in these situations that that didn't turn into a situation. So yeah, I just that's that's as much as I thought about it.
Speaker 2: Well, the windows are brought up a newspaper and then we see her peeking in the window and there's two adults sitting on the couch just staring. So did anybody get freaked out about that?
Speaker 3: Or I thought the mother was like dead or something bro too, Yeah, possessed by aliens or what.
Speaker 1: I ain't know what the buck was going on. I ain't know what it was. This made me suspect the keyd got going on. Hell yeah, and way he cuts the ass out.
Speaker 4: But she was doing weird ship. Why the fuck you, I'm I'm with the kid. Why the fuck are you following me like doing shit?
Speaker 1: You know? And and and and and Wall told her like, man, leave that fucking kid along, and she just would not let it go.
Speaker 2: I don't blame her, really, especially after the behavior that these guys justified with the parents earlier. Yes, because at this point she's being blamed for all of this and nobody else is trying to solve it, which when she was trying to get that out of Paul, Paul was like, we don't know anything.
Speaker 1: So yes, at this point, I'm taking the shit into my own hands because I'm being blamed for seventeen kids disappearing and y'all not doing shit.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I don't blame her for going to Alex's house. For me, it's not necessarily a blame. It's just like, yo, like what do you know?
Speaker 1: Like you're not paying attention to these kids, Like you don't have no fucking clue how this might have happened. And she said, I it's the same thing to you as a parent, though, that would be my retort to you guys. No, no, I'm not. I already said I would. I have to take some responsibility as well. And I feel like they kind of did. Like the dad did he felt bad about He's like, I guess he didn't feel like he loved it. He never told me love him and stuff like that, so there was responsibility that he was taking. This is after you put publicly all that blame on this woman who had nothing to do with it. That's fucked up. And now she's like, well, I don't have anybody on my side. I have to do this on my own. Yeah, but it seemed like it seemed like.
Speaker 3: It gave the appearance that she was there was some other reason why she was trying to talk to that kid. I remember when when uh Wong was like she she was like, what can I say to talk to Alice? Why the fuck you need to talk to Alice? I want to make sure he's okay, Like you don't need to talk to this kid. This kid is traumatized. Like what if they seemed like she was on some creepy ship. She knew that he was being picked on, though we didn't know that at the time.
Speaker 1: Though yeah we did because we saw we saw with him before, then you can tell.
Speaker 2: And if she if she is as caring of a teacher as we're given the impression, then yeah, she might know that he's being picked on. But even even if he wasn't being picked on, her wanting to find out if he's okay is completely normal. Like if she's his teacher and all of his all of his classmates disappear, why would she not want to make sure he's okay, especially if he's acting weird.
Speaker 4: Now, following him to the house though.
Speaker 2: Going to his home because she couldn't get it from Wong. I don't think that that's weird dalking. I mean, that's Colin Wong and telling him about it was stupid. That was stupid, but like, uh, he's just what welfare checks are and the cops aren't doing anything, so I don't I didn't find it weird.
Speaker 1: But what about what went down at the liquor store, Like did Donna at the time. Did y'all think that Donna had a reason to whoop that ass? Yes, had her following her funny like you kind of see her come out of the camera scene and then she'll come back into the camera. Oh man, that was it was beautifully shot. She deserved it. She definitely deserved ito. I thought it was a parent. I thought, yeah, because this was right after she went to Alex. Right, Yeah, I thought it was a parent. I thought maybe word got out.
Speaker 3: That she had been following that kid around and they probably thought she was about to take somebody else. It was one of the parents whipping that ass, but it was Donna, and Donna wasn't having it.
Speaker 1: Bro. And even though he lied, I get that, but I still think she deserved her as Yeah he did lie. Yeah, Well, uh what about the dream sequence where uh, she's she's walking through the school and all the kids are sleeping, and then Alex pops up and he has the clown makeup on. Was this creepy? The all ar oh them just creepy. Yeah. When the dad went through it, when she did it, like anytime those sequences happening, it just looked creepy. Yeah, it was it was. It was really well done.
Speaker 3: How they did that with with her walking through there like that, you know, and and Alex too, like.
Speaker 2: Ship that The part of her walking through the school didn't get me was when she woke up and that fucking clown woman was on the ceiling.
Speaker 1: I was like, yo, what I thought that was him? I thought that was the father? Nah he had the baby.
Speaker 4: No, no, you're right.
Speaker 1: They seen it in the bait. Yeah, we'll get to that scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, she she wakes up from the dream and then she goes to lean back.
Speaker 1: And she's on the ceiling the father to did you jump? Yeah? Like oh, ship, yeah I said that out said what the fun? Yeah the person it did good with the with the tension they got me. But yeah.
Speaker 2: So after an awkward interaction with Alex the one that you were talking about, Justine decides to go back to Alex's house and there's no answer at the door, so she decides to do a steakout but falls asleep.
Speaker 1: Man, what what about? I was like, oh, my ith a car door open? Yes, Oh the sound design was perfect. It was like quiet then here and you hear her going to I was like, I thought she was about to die. I did. I did. I was wondering where they was gonna go with the movie after me. It was like how they gonna kill her so soon? Yeah, Yeah, she had scissors and she just cut her hair. I was like, okay when when she cut her hair, I was like, okay, it must be some type of boodoshit involved? Was it? The was that the mom of the aunt? That was the mom she was directed her to do? Because the way she came walking out there.
Speaker 2: And she came to the window and just kind of stopped for a second and then went in the back.
Speaker 1: I was like, yo, this movie is crazy. It is. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was like, man, what the fuck is going on with Alex? Like Alice can control fucking people.
Speaker 1: You know, and like that ship was was weird as hell, but that she was so fucking dope. Yeah. I was cussing her. I was like, you are stupid drunk, That's what I get your trunk And I was like, why would you go to this house do a stakeout and then drink and fall asleep?
Speaker 2: So anyway, so yeah, so then we see the next title, which is Archer. Archer is played by Josh Brolin, and we found out that his son, Matthew is one of the kids that vanished.
Speaker 1: So he meets up with the cops and after going through a list of reasons that he thinks that the chief should go question Justine, we're taken back to earlier in the film where she's being harassed at home and we see that he's most likely the one that put which on her car.
Speaker 2: But I think things get interesting when he has a dream sequence, the one that Rob was talking about. So, yeah, what did you think of his dream sequence? This is where he's following Matthew through the house and it leads to Alex's house, but he doesn't know that, and above it there is did y'all notice what was above the house?
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, it was it. I ain't get that. I don't know, so we're going He goes inside and he sees Matthew in the bed and that's when he sees the clown woman. We're gonna talk about it later, we can talk about now. But want to say, I was gonna let y'all go first. I didn't get the done thing at all. Okay, did you like to? Oh? Well, yeah, so he was dreaming it was a school. I don't like, what does it mean, I think the whole movie is a metaphor for the trauma that comes from school shootings and why they occurved the kid was being bullied and stuff like that, even though that wasn't why the kids were taken, but they were being bullied, and the one kid that was left, the survivor, you know, goes to school, shoots up a bunch of kids and in the school and the kids disappear, and the parents are mad, and parents unfairly blame the teacher. That's why I was asking if there was a school shooting, which y'all have the same stance that. Yeah, so yeah. I thought this dream was weird, just like hers, creepy. They did a good job with it, especially with the flash of the lady's face at the end. I thought that was good. That fucked me up. Man. It was a great acting in this because Josh Brolin body, I think his role was great. He was fantastic. I think everybody this was agreed. Julie Garner Yeah, yeah, her last two roles. I thought it had been really good and different too. I kept what he said bull Ship, I said, holy Ship. That was the aunt.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, Julia Garner is the girl from Ozark Oh, okay, I thought you was talking about the aunt.
Speaker 1: I don't know who she's from, but she was amazing too.
Speaker 3: When Josh Brolan or Arthur's reaction though, was perfect and seemed very like real when he was like, what the fuck?
Speaker 1: Yeah when you woke up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we all, but it's it seemed like some some ship that was like somebody would really saying it was like, what the fuck was that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It was the dialogue there was I thought was really good. Whoever wrote that that ship was crazy because it was like, what the fuck was that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's one of the moments where it was funny, like you know, it's like kind of humor. Yeah, but probably not even intended to be funny, but kind of written to maybe be funny. I don't know, it's weird to say that, but yeah, he's he's good.
Speaker 2: He's really good at that, at putting humor in the right spots. He did that with Barbarian, but he did it much better with this, Like he's getting better as.
Speaker 1: It goes along.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening to the Frames per Second podcast, where pressing play today taking time out of your day meant so much to us. But If you would like even more content, head over to patreon dot com forward slash frames per second, where you can decide between two tiers, our Director's Cut tier and our Bootleg tier and make the decision on what kind of power you would like to have as a patron. If you would just like exclusive content, you can join our Bootleg tier where you gain different things that we review along with the random and ratchet watchables. But if you would like even more power in the decisions that's made, you can nominate at the Director's Cut tier on the discussion the film and the solo reviews that we put up. So head over to patreon dot com and gain access to even more things that we're doing. We would love to have you become a part of our community, and if you just want to peek in, become a free member and see the things that we are offering on our feet and we look forward to having you over there. After viewing some of the other parents' video footage, Archer starts triangulating which way all the kids ran, but on his way home from doing that, he runs in the Justine at a gas station, and while conversing with her, they're attacked by Marcus So what did y'all think about the way the scene ended before transitioning real quick into the next title.
Speaker 1: What I loved was how they showed him being in construction, which made sense for him to triangulate those locations. I loved that. It was just a subtle detail, but it made so much sense because I would otherwise out of roll in mind like he know this and stuff like that, but he knew the coding of the map and all that stuff. I thought that was great, and they left it off it just the right place where you were like, man, what is happening with him come and running? Like the people had the buggy eyes and stuff. So I think that that was perfect. His whole sequence was perfect.
Speaker 4: What I liked.
Speaker 1: I was like, okay, well it's not just kids, you know, because at this moment it was just kids that that disappeared. I'm like, this mo fucking humans too, like because the because the one human we saw, the mom walking out, she didn't do that.
Speaker 3: She walked out like she was you know, of course control. Yeah, so that was a different thing.
Speaker 1: So then you see this guy running like that, bro, and he was like, okay, well he can control humus. So now I'm like, well, shit, I don't know what the fuck is going on.
Speaker 2: I think that was also part of the metaphor when she was I forgot to mention this earlier, when she came walking out like a puppet. He obviously, the director hasn't said this as far as I've seen, but I think it's very clear that he's making a reference to school shootings and the fact that like the parent is now a puppet, and the parent is now putting the blame on the teacher, when in reality has nothing to do with the teacher. They're not placing the blame in the right area.
Speaker 1: So and who is the right area? We all know it's the government that's lad the stuff happened. Is the you know, the situations that allow these kids to have these mental breaks, et cetera, et cetera. Astration. He was a part of the administration, was the principal exactly exactly the administration that you know, and we can look at that as our current administration that allows people with mental health issues to you know, to purchase guns, all of these things. I've only seen the movie once, so this is all conjecture. I definitely need to see it again so I can see if any of this stuff is right. But but yeah, the next title is Paul, and in this scene, Paul catches some kid breaking into a building. So, Rob, what do you think about what went down with with with Paul and the little kid that was trying to break in when he catches him and all that. Yeah, that that's the drugging, Uh yeah drug right, Yeah. I thought it was interesting to see his perspective on this whole situation. And by this point, I'm like, I think what they're doing is very dope with telling the different because sometimes you can do this right and sometimes you can do it kind of wrong. And I feel like they were doing it right at this moment. So but I don't know if I thought much about it, because we do see him that's when he gets poked with the knee and all that. This this is when we see all that, Yeah, this ship wasn't tense, this ship, this ship wasn't tense. And then then when when the whole body can't the whole dash cam shit's like fuck when and like we all know, like we've we seen dash cam footage and that's probably how they respond when they realize, oh ship, this ship is fucking recorded or whatever, so it was interesting to see how all of that is handled. But yeah, because he's out shit out of here, man. But I thought this whole sequence was interesting, especially what it what it ended up leading up to. I was because concerned and impressed. I was concerned in the sense of like why we need Paul's story, like what what does he have to do with this? But it did add layers of depths in the sense of showing what he did have to do with and how they played out. But I didn't know that they would be able to do it that well. So at this point, I'm like, I don't really need the police officer story. But I did find it interesting that he got poked with that needle. Then when after he thought he had AIDS and had sex with the teacher, I thought that was a real dirtball move by him. Yeah, he yeah, that was fucked up. And even when he was like you got it, like, I don't know, I don't think so yeah, yeah, dude was funny, that junkie dude.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, But you know, I thought it was It was interesting because we don't know what.
Speaker 1: Type of person Paul really is outside of what we've seen him in the movie. But he's having a really shitty ass day, and the shitty as day he's having is calling him to react in in violent ways, in ways that is that isn't the best. He's sleeping with somebody.
Speaker 3: He punched the kid, you know, Uh punched the kid because he got poked by the needle. So's he's been a violent, you know, abusive cop, you know, on the job. He goes to the chief and they try to cover it up, and this whole thing, you know.
Speaker 1: That that happened, and that sent him spirally. That one thing sent him spiraling the rest of the rest of the day, you know.
Speaker 3: Uh in Paul's uh life.
Speaker 1: So even though I think he still wasn't trying to drink anything, but he eventually gave it, spoke with age, Yeah, but he was resistant. He kept saying no, no, multiple time. We never saw when he changed this much. But you know, but uh, he ended up being a piece of shit person too. Like you know, what caused it to happen, you know, was maybe it was him being poked or whatever, but he.
Speaker 4: Still was was a piece of ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So after telling his boss who's also his girlfriend's father, about what happened, we see him meeting up with Justine hitting it obviously. So that also shows us why Donna beat Justine's ass because he fucking told her what happened, which I don't know why he did that, Uh, but that was his wife dad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because he could have lied and just said I got drunk and slept in the car.
Speaker 1: He could just well, I guess he couldn't say it was police business because she'd ask her dad. Well, she he was fully dressed, so I think that's why she looked like what he thought. She was out of town, so he had.
Speaker 3: But apparently I think they must have been sleeping around before and she she knew.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, But to Ken's point, he could have just said I got drunk in the car and I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I but he ain't supposed to be drinking though. That's that's the point. So that's probably what made her ask him the question, right, But he didn't even try a lot. That lot could have worked. He was like, yeah, and he was surprised she was there. He thought she was out of time. Yeah, but he still could have just lied like she was. She was the one that let us know he had a drinking problem, right, So and.
Speaker 2: She was like relapsed exactly, Okay, card I relapsed and I didn't want to drive.
Speaker 1: I was but I will say, these damn women, women selling the woman on you though they can feel this ship out.
Speaker 2: I would pour beer all over my dick and everything. You can't you can't smell vagina through beer.
Speaker 1: Well at that point he would have had to run into it because didn't know she was there.
Speaker 2: But anyway, the interesting part is what happens when he sees the kid, the little junkie kid, coming towards the station. He takes off after him with transitions into the James title and Spike. What did you immediately think about when you saw James getting down? Like, do you think he's was he supposed to be from Nashville?
Speaker 1: He was smoking? Myth. That wasn't crack that anybody else picked that out. That's myth because that's you tell how he was acting. It was myth. But I found it hilarious on the reaction when he came out of the police station, had seen him again. He was like, motherfucker, that was funny. It's hell to me for some reason. Uh, but yeah, I really didn't know where they was going. Pointing us to the direction of the myth head character. Like, so I was really like wondering, now, okay, what's up. I was still enjoying it, but I was really wondering where they were going with the different perspectives. But I think they did a great job of it. You know, just sequence of events too, because of what happened earlier, those kids could have possibly be saved to rescue a lot sooner, you know, even though he was doing it for fifty thousand dollars. Nevertheless, he still had intail facts, you know. But because Paul, who was in his feelings and mad about everything, he decided to chase the kid off.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: I thought it was crazy. He's seen her in the woods. Oh yeah, that was. Oh that ship was like what the fuck? Yeah? That that was that kind of fucked me up too.
Speaker 2: I'm like, okay, so there's this cloud woman, Like what the fuck is going on? But yeah that oh actually, no, that we skipped apart. He got stabbed in the face with him. No, that happened after this part. So we see what went down between him and Paul. From James's perspective, after Paul let him go, after he punched him. We see that James goes looking for a score, and that's when he breaks into Alex's house, and that's when he goes down to the basement.
Speaker 1: So what did y'all think about what happened in the basement? Oh, that ship was freaky. That was I was s that was an old ship moment. Yes, damn so that Yeah, you had no idea at this point. We still had no idea even though we know, Okay, the mystery solved. The kids are in the basement, but what the fuck are they doing? Why are they there? Like, yeah, that's crazy. Yeah, yeah, it was a spinning unison for me. Like whateverucker turned around, I was like, oh, same.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'm still thinking that what the hell is this kid doing?
Speaker 2: I assumed he was getting bullied and he must. I thought he was the witch because they showed him with the makeup on earlier. I thought that the Witch woman was like his personification or whatever.
Speaker 1: So I thought that those.
Speaker 2: Kids were bullying him because one of the bullies, which ends up being Archer's son, was in the basement, so I thought that he summoned all them kids down there and just made them stare.
Speaker 1: At the wall. So I was like, Okay, this is an interesting angle. But yeah, when they spun around like that, I was like, no, I don't fuck with little kids like that.
Speaker 3: I was like because I kept waiting for Alice to pop up, and he never showed up.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but we heard whoever somebody he was lucking the room. He probably was because we heard like rummaging and stuff in there, So somebody was in the house. They just didn't give a fuck that he was in the house. But the fact that he saw that, the fact that he saw them put them. The parents sit in there, and he's still went and got his ship and wasn't in herd to get out of the house. Brod do that to you? He said, I'm getting it. I'm to take the silver. They can't do nothing about it, even when the parents got up and like kind of chased him out the house. This is crazy.
Speaker 2: But so yeah, we found out the reason that James was going to the police stations because he was trying to get the reward of finding all the missing kids. But Paul sees him and chases him back to his tent, during which James sees the clown woman in the woods where his tent is, which leads to a crazy scene involving Paul, and that's when he gets stabbed in the face with the man Jesus with the needles.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, y'all like that. I definitely flinched. It feels like it would have hurt him more than it did too. He really like the initial reaction that he was just shrugged it off. I feel like after it, I think he was just so mad at that. Yeah, he was just you know. But yeah, So now I was gonna say, I think the main thing I kept thinking is like, damn, he about to kill the one person that has the information to what he's kids. I thought I thought he was gonna shoot him. When he put the shotgun on him, I was like, oh my god, damn.
Speaker 2: But yeah, So James tells Paul he knows what the missing kids are, so they go back to Alex's house. Paul comes out clearly possessed and drags James off, which leads into the next title, which is Marcus.
Speaker 1: This is where it gets wild. So Marcus and his partner are shopping for groceries before inviting Alex's parents to a meeting. I was waiting on this one, and it's here that we get the first real look at the clown lady whose name is actually Gladys. So what did y'all think about the meeting? I loved the secretary and how subtly funny that was. She was like at two o'clock, his here and out saying anything. It was just on her face. This bitch is crazy, Like it's like she didn't even want to leave the room. And then it was I liked it. But as soon as that lady walked in, I was like, Oh, Okay, there we go. That's the person that's doing all this. Like she just had that look on her face and I couldn't tell if like she she looked like she was taking like she looked like the dad and the mama combined. Like she like she looked like both of them. And I was like, what what is she doing to she possessing their bodies or something like it was like on some what's the last movie we seen together? It was on some ship like that. That's what she looked like to me. Maybe that was fresh on my mind.
Speaker 3: I I thought that Alice was controlling her. Oh wow, I thought that Alice was actually working for her.
Speaker 1: And she was just running interference. I never thought it was him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's what That's what I was still thinking. I was like, oh, Alex don't want to get caught.
Speaker 1: So she's like a puppet or something. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. No. The second I saw her, I was like, oh, she's doing she did it. Yeah, she's exactly what I thought. So when she walked in.
Speaker 2: Especially the answer she was giving, I was like, oh, she is absolutely a witch.
Speaker 1: Did you pick up on when she was like eight hundred years old? She's eight hundred years old. That's why she was talking in there, Like we remember when she was saying that crazy stuff and people were looking at like the that don't even terminology crazy stuff. She said something that had like real old assumption.
Speaker 2: She said, so when when she's talking to Marcus, she said that the parents are sick because Marcus wants to do a welfare check and she's like, well they're sick, and she said he has a touch of consumption and he.
Speaker 1: Was like what the fuck is that? But she did it again too, like she was using very old I looked at a review that said this that th D I thought watching it always cheat but they said like they was trying to relay the fact that she was like hundreds of years old, and that's why she came off as such a weird person. Maybe. I don't know if y'all picked up on him, because I didn't either. I was on the consumption thing, and I was like, Okay, I know what that word means, but what would it mean here? That's what he said.
Speaker 2: But it makes sense because because if you look at up, the consumption is the using up of a resource, and that's what she was, and that's what she's doing to the parents and the kids, So that that made sense.
Speaker 1: I never picked up that she was. I did pick up that she didn't. She wasn't really their aunt. I didn't pick up either. So when they were driving in the car, well, we'll get to that, or we'll get to that part. I'm jumping ahead.
Speaker 2: So yeah, So what did y'all think when they were eating at Marcus's house? Did y'all catch what they were watching?
Speaker 1: I don't remember, but I do remember its sticking out. Was it the same thing they were watching in the classroom about the parasite In the classroom, they were watching something specific about parasites and Marcus. At Marcus and his partner's house, they're watching that same video that we've seen of the Courtyceps in dating and ants grow out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because yeah, uh, because that's what I because. Okay, So going back a little bit in the classroom, there was well and then there was parasite written on the board.
Speaker 4: So that's what I was. That's why I'm still thinking it's parasite.
Speaker 3: At the time, I didn't even think of which, you know, until it was clearly splayed out.
Speaker 1: I still was thinking parasite, especially when they showed that scene about the cordyceps stuff so and how it can be controlled, and of course the kids were controlled. So so yeah, that's that's what I was still thinking. Is Yeah, I'm glad you went back to that. So the Gang of Glizzies didn't tell y'all nothing. So what isn't that what they call them? Hot dog? You didn't notice all those hot dogs that they were eating? What about the awesome? Okay, did anybody think anything about all the hot dogs?
Speaker 4: I know they had like six of them.
Speaker 1: I thought it was like a trade full of them. It was other stuff barely there was like a little bit of something else and it was all hot.
Speaker 2: I did think we're gonna eat all of my dogs, So you're not picking up on. Everybody in this movie has some sort of vice. So there they have a bunch of food. You have Paul, Paul is an addict. You have what's her face? Because she was an alcoholic.
Speaker 1: Yes, Julia's an alcoholic.
Speaker 2: Julia's an alcoholic. James is an addict. And the da is before you asked me that I had something on the dad. Now I don't remember what it was.
Speaker 1: I would just like OCD.
Speaker 3: Baby, maybe workaholic because he never told his son he loved him, so I don't know if he never was around or anything.
Speaker 1: Fuck, I forgot what the dad's was. The dad had something where I was like, okay, everybody has a vice that they're kind of stuck on him. But I can't remember what the dads like his may have been because he went from not telling me love him to like sleeping in his bed. He watched the video thirty times. He asked the lady could he watch her video? She said no. He asked the dad, and the dad let him watch it. So I feel like he was kind of O c D. Now that you're pointing that out as the resident person with O c D, that sounds like I personally insulted Spike joking.
Speaker 4: He lost his son and yeah he's just reacting.
Speaker 1: Yeah he's spiraling. Sounds like brief spiraling. Yeah, but I don't remember. I should have wrote it down. I don't remember.
Speaker 2: What was the point you were about to make it with it that that was their vice. These motherfuckers love to eat because if you if you notice when they were in the store, the skinnier.
Speaker 1: One was always like holding the little bag up and he was like, you know, yeah, like I didn't realize it was Freddy fucked up, but he did it though. Yeah, it's kind of fucked up though it's him. They were both joking, they were joking. I think he was just like, oh, okay, I didn't I just know he was holding up cereal and he was like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. I think their vice, or at least Marcus's vice, is definitely food. That motherfucker loves to eat because he was man when he was bringing them hot dogs, he was like, oh yeah, he was ready.
Speaker 1: Ready for the blizzies.
Speaker 2: So Gladys shows up at their house and this was fucking crazy. So where did y'all think about what went down when Alex when Gladys came to the house.
Speaker 1: The little husband's response when he walked up to the door, it was just like the secretary, like, who in the fuck is this? But that whole scene was crazy, And then I was finally satisfied as Okay, this is what's going on, Like it gave way more clarity and again it was placed perfectly. I feel like they told the story from the perspective of the people perfectly, and for this one to be like, well, not the last one, but the next. Last one was great and showing how you got possessed and stuff. It was why that that kitchen scene was wild?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love I love Wong's reaction because he wasn't trying to let her in.
Speaker 1: He was like, he wasn't trying to let her in, He wasn't trying to give her any fuck. He wasn't trying to.
Speaker 3: Do ship that ship. He just like, why the fuck are you here? And none of this ship makes sense? And you can't come in my house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when she asked for water out of bowl, you gotta leave, absolutely, Yeah, you know you wanted to bowl leave my house. You look like that already and you want to him is this one of them? Situations where what's the rule to be invited in vampires? Vampires? I don't know which is that applies to them. She just walked her ass. I thought she was asking can she come in? She did, but that was just disarm them a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because neither one of them wanted her to come in. They could have physically overpowered her, you know, especially big ass wall.
Speaker 4: And then she cut a piece of his hair and he was like what the fuck?
Speaker 1: Their reactions was price so good. This whole fucking scene was done so well because I did not know why the fuck she was there, what was happening. But when she did the little bell thing, I was like what. She was like, get out. Yeah, it's like get out, and he was just and yeah.
Speaker 2: When she then put the hair on, because when she when she was talking to the to the husband and he walked over and she cut.
Speaker 1: His hair, I was like, what the what's wrong with this woman? His reaction, he was like, just cut my hair. And man, this was one of my favorite scenes in the whole movie. When he started head button his ass, I was like, God, damn, she he fucked her up or fucked him up. He said, you want some head here? Some head boy, and she pulled the teacher hair out of her okay pocket, it wasn't the teacher's hair. It was a ribbon. So if you if you remember when she won, I'm talking about the other Yes, yeah, made him start running. Okay, she put Justine's hair on and then snapped and he's running after her. Ass. That was crazy, like a GPS. Like I even know what she was at about that too, but I just let it go. But I did think that too.
Speaker 2: I was like, yo, ass ran all the way across the whole scene of him running from his house to where they were, I was like, this is insane. His fucking bugged out eyes. Oh my god, man. So what'd you think when we see the full scene of Markets attacking.
Speaker 1: Her Rod, Nah, it was. It was amazing. I Like I said, I was waiting for this moment. I was waiting to see what the fuck was going on with him because that was the first time we had seen not the first time, but we seen something that crazy with his eyes bulged out and all that. I was like, okay, what is that about? Some when it was time for him to tell the story from his perspective, I was waiting, but nah, man. Like this whole execution was so good with Josh Brolin away, he was like kept kept beating his ass and he just kept getting up. Like all of that ship was good. Him crawling on the car, her running away was so realistic, like like fucking help me, like goddamn, Like right, So nah, it was this this, this whole ship was executed.
Speaker 3: So well, yeah, I was, you know, it was It was interesting the store clerk. I thought the store clerk was actually gonna shoot him, but he was like, nah, just get out of my store. So his reaction was just like, nah, you call something, they're chasing you.
Speaker 1: I don't want anything to do it, so.
Speaker 3: Get the fuck out and just completely just ignoring, you know, this woman being you know, attacked by a violent man, which was kind of wild, and even just thinking about while he's running, just the reactions of people in the town blowing the horn like you see a guy running an anime style, Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: You just kind of ignore it. But you just think it's a crazy guy. You probably think it's meth head spike, so you just like, oh, got another drug. He's just running around in the city. You know, they gotta do something about it. But yeah, all that ship was really.
Speaker 3: Really dope, and and uh even even the demise of how it happened.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that shit was crazy. Yeah, I love this whole scene.
Speaker 2: I thought it was I thought it was great, the way he's chasing after her and she doesn't know what the fuck to do. But uh, during Marcus chasing Justine some more, after she gets in her car and takes off, he's run.
Speaker 1: Over black car and dies. But uh. While at the hospital, Archer and Justine talk and they figure out whose house everyone was going to, and they figure out it's Alex's, and this leads us into the last title of the movie, which is Alex. And this kicks off with Alex riding home from school with his dad, And this is when I was talking about earlier. So so, Spike, you didn't.
Speaker 2: Pick up The dad says uh like like, Alex says, well, I don't even know aunt Gladys either. He says uh uh yeah, he says, I don't. I don't really know her either, And I think he might have implied that the mom doesn't really remember her either, So I don't think this was their aunt at all.
Speaker 1: I was talking to Abe because he's seen he said the same thing that that wouldn't they He thought that that was that they real aren't. I don't think I never picked it up though, but I somebody else said that to me too.
Speaker 3: They did mention, and I think it was the mom or maybe it was the dad. It was like, we haven't seen her in fifteen years.
Speaker 1: Over fifteen years said that to them, going back just slightly. I do like speaking to his I guess attention to detail to dad how he figured out what was going on behind the arms was like what we talked about earlier. Because she was like, I never seen anything like that before, and he was like, I have because I watched his video so much. I thought that was really good. But yeah, I thought that was other than that, Like Alex's conversation with his dad was interesting. Seeing him being bullied was interesting, and all of it just added more depth to the story. You know.
Speaker 3: The dad, Yeah, yeah, you know, Alice's not saying anything, but you see that he had a really good, loving relationship with his kid. You know, a regular routine I pick you up at two. You know the opposite of Arthur, because he tells the kid that he loves him. You know, Arthur did not say that and he regretted it, and uh so, yeah it was.
Speaker 1: It was good.
Speaker 4: Seeing like the parents reaction, I don't know how.
Speaker 3: They would take in this woman without having some type of evidence that that's the aunt though. That's where I'm confused.
Speaker 1: Well, she was sick, so when she shows up, she looks all frail and gross. I just assumed that she had put some kind of spell on them, like maybe they never even had an aunt, but the spell was for them to think, oh, we have an aunt and she has to come live with us.
Speaker 2: I don't remember her, but my brain is saying, we have an aunt and she was the mom's aunt.
Speaker 1: That's what it was, the moms but he remind her remember her. Okay, a spell makes sense. Maybe she called and maybe that's what ye interests. No idea.
Speaker 2: I mean that kind of thing might bother some people, but I kind of like that. There's certain things that just weren't answered.
Speaker 1: It bothered me. That was the one thing that bothered me. I was like, Okay, so why does random ass family or why does even if they were family, why does she choose to do this to her own family. I didn't understand that. Well, it could be because she knew that he was being bullied so it would be easier for her to manipulate him, or it could just be that she wanted the kids regardless, that was her goal is to get the kids. So if I thought her goal was to get the parents, because she said she tried the parents, she said that didn't work, right, I thought it would. She said, the parents aren't working, so I need the kids. So even Okay, So let's say her original goal was to get two adults that she could suck the energy from. I don't think it really matters which group of adults she picked.
Speaker 2: And she could have picked any random group of adults in the movie and this and the outcome would have still been the same.
Speaker 1: Right, I get you love with that, but it was confusing to me, like, why would you do this to your own family? Why wouldn't you just pick some random people that you don't even fucking know. That's why I don't think that she I don't think that was her family.
Speaker 3: Yeah, her not being true family makes sense because I was I was like, why would you do this to your family?
Speaker 1: But if that's not, if that's just some.
Speaker 3: Random family and there and she's eight hundred years old, then it don't matter.
Speaker 1: It could just be that she she might have been in another body and took this body over. I never I never thought about it that hard.
Speaker 2: But even even if that really is her own blood family, if she's a witch, I could see why she might still do what she's doing because she's a fucking witch and she feels like her life is more important than theirs, so she's gonna siphon them anyway.
Speaker 1: She wants to. What did y'all think about how.
Speaker 2: Glad it's threatened Alex to make him not say anything to the authorities.
Speaker 3: Man genius making them stab themselves with forks repeatedly. Jesus Christ, Like if you see that, if you're this kid and you see that happening to your parents, you will definitely fall in line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because that was one of the main things, Like how why did this kid just fall in line? Like this was this old ass lady. But but yeah, that that was very convincing, Like, Okay, agree it was Christian because that's something I feel like a kid would about you, Like I love he loved his parents so much. I had a loving relationship. And she's like, look, I'm gonna fuck him up if you do exactly as I say. It made a lot of sense as far as him just being quiet, and he was a smart kid, like he was pulling water on their faces, like what the fuck is going on with them? Like something was up? Yeah, but he knew something. He had the door, Yeah, he had intuition. Then he's like, Yo, how long is she gonna be here? The weird asshold woman? Yeah, kids be like that though, they're intuitive like that.
Speaker 3: Mm because he was asking all kinds of questions bout nobody ever seen it?
Speaker 1: Who the is she from? Right? She's sleeping there? Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: Even when she got out with that big with that damn tree and shit like that. I think he was walking around looking around and shit like that. So yeah, he didn't fuck with her at all, and she knew it.
Speaker 1: So yeah.
Speaker 2: This is the part where Gladys kind of reveals to Alex that, you know, she thought that his parents would make things a bit better, but it's not working. So she tells him to go to the school and get a bunch of personal items from all of his classmates.
Speaker 1: So he does that.
Speaker 2: It works, and we see all of the kids running to Alex's house, but then it flashes to present day, and Justine and Archer decide to go to Alex's house.
Speaker 1: Once they get there, they are immediately attacked. So what did y'all think about that attack? Uh, let's start off with the Justine and Paul fight. What did y'all think of that? I wanted to start some of the where we go there and I'm sorry they're trying to get through. Yeah, but this was part of the thing when we talk about the teacher. So I'm like, how the fuck did you not realize all the goddamn names weren't on the on the Cooke Cubbies anymore. So that's the type of shit I'm talking about. Your ass ain't paying attention to what the fuck going on in your class So what if she did notice that? Then what that ship looked suspicious? And here's the thing, how does she how do we know that? She didn't tell long Now, it wouldn't have made a difference. She was like, she don't know what the fuck going on, She don't know what happened.
Speaker 3: So so I had the same question, right, I was like, you know, your classroom had all of the names on it, so how the hell did you not know that they were missing?
Speaker 1: But what can she do about that? And what difference that's suspicious? Right? Soble you bring that up. It's like, I don't know, but all the fucking tasks were going and I came in the room and Mike and Alex was doing some weird ship What was he doing when? Nothing? But but he he left. It just wasn't he wasn't a recess. She noticed he walked away, so she was she didn't notice that, but when he got to the crass room, he gave her some fucking excuse and it just didn't make sense. But then at that moment you had the fucking name tags are gone, Like what the fuck are you doing? I think that added more to her continuously wanting to talk to him because she knew he knew something she just couldn't. She hadn't figured it out yet, so like had happened by that point though nothing had happened by that Yeah, nothing had happened at that point, But once it did happen, y'all are expecting her to have a memory. Oh, I remember now that Alex is in the room and all the name tags, which is why she probably wanted to talk to him. Nah, Well, I mean it's it's it's a small thing, but it's a very big thing because you she designed the whole class and all those tags are there. But also it kind of made sense for me. I'm like, how are you gonna take all these other items from these kids? How are you gonna get that tour from that kid's backpack? How are you gonna get this thing frohim? It's the easiest route, it's the easiest route.
Speaker 3: But she knew that Alex left and when we went to Pe, all the tags were there. When we came back from Pe, all the tags are missing. And Alex is the one that was in the class room when all this stuff went missing.
Speaker 1: So I guess you'll parents bring kicking in again, because even if she addresses him like what what's the solution today? Like I've seen you take the name tags off, all of the questions like why do you take these? Did question them?
Speaker 2: So I'm saying maybe she did tell them, Hey, when I left, they were name tags.
Speaker 1: When I came back, they were gone.
Speaker 2: Y'all need to talk to Alex because the beginning of the movie clearly says the cops questioned Alex and Alex said he doesn't know anything. So I'm not really seeing how this is again the teacher's fault, because she.
Speaker 1: Was saying that. I'm not saying it is her fault. All I'm saying is that, like, just give some sort of information that could help solve this case. Yes, okay, I think I think y'all are who the movie is talking to, because the movie is saying that she is just a teacher. She's not a fucking detective. It's not her job to figure out where these kids went. I'm not saying her job to come to the class and teach the kids. So you're adding to it. I'm not saying it's her job to be a detective and figure that out. All I'm saying is you just give some information. And she's like, look, I'm just as surprised as y'all. Right, no, the fuck you not? Because you saw this kid walk away from recess. All these tags are going off these cubicles. You're gonna notice it at some point that they're not there, you know, point you're gonna get that information to the to She didn't, is the point. Because they didn't say it. They didn't say a lot of things. They didn't say she shit before she but what she did say that she have no clue. She didn't have a clue about what happened. What reason would there have been for her to be like, hey, I think Alex took these seventeen kids. There's no reason for her to think that. All parents who don't want to take any responsibility for their own situations immediately blame public school teachers.
Speaker 2: For But I'm not that parent. I just want to go on record and say, course, but like so, but but you're still putting an unfair burden on her.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying that that. Again, I'm not saying that it's her fault and I'm not placing all the blame on her. I'm saying I'm saying that I feel like she could have done some things to help. And I understand the parents being like, Yo, you don't know fucking nothing that happened in this class. You don't think it's anything you didn't see any type of whatever, whatever, Like okay, so let's let's go to this. She clearly tells Wong that something is going on with Alex. She tells him that he says, leave it alone, right, so she did do part of her job. She says, something is going on with Alex. But though, no, at this point, I'm talking about when she goes to the house, when get what y'all called creepy. So on one hand, y'all are like, oh, she needs to give more information the detective, and then when she tries to figure out her own, oh, she's being creepy. So it's like she can't win. But regardless, she goes to the house, she looks in the window, she sees all the windows are boarded up. She tells Wong something is up with this fucking kid and the house. I think I do think nothing came from that. So if let's say she did tell the cops, hey, man, all of these name tags were gone. Maybe the cops asked, Alex, did you take the name tags? And Alex says no, or Alex says yes, and then the conversation is over. Well, so I think what came out of her telling Wong what she saw at the house was the was the meeting? Yeah right, yeah, So I think something did come out of that. All I'm saying is nothing, no, no, no, no, no no, no, nothing came from that because Wong just had a meeting with her, but he never told the cops. Wong never told the cops that, oh, a welfare check at the house, which is what she said to do. So y'all again, y'all are putting I feel unfair, unfair burden on the teacher when she did what she was supposed to do. She told her superior, there needs to be a welfare check at this house. He didn't do it. He was doing the welfare chat. That's why he met with Wealth. He's not he's not a counselor, he's a he's a principal. But he should have told the cops. No, I got you, I got you. I'm not disagree with that, but I think he didn't tell the cops. But he was taking actionally himself to do a welfare check. That's why he met with Alex. So something came out of her making that call, even though Wall never took the step to tell tell the cops. He was just doing the Actually, he was just gonna do the welfare check himself.
Speaker 2: So nothing came of it then, because if he had told the cops, the story had been completely different to the cops and said, look, my teacher went to this person's house, but he didn't want to get his shit fucked up. But if he's like, oh, my teacher went to this kid's house. All of the windows are brought up, a newspaper, the parents are sitting on the couch just staring at the wall. I think y'all need to go over there. And the cops didn't do it. Also, we have to think about this. Y'all are putting all this burden on the on the on the on the teacher. Why have the cops never been to Alex's house?
Speaker 1: They did. They went when because said we got to clean this place up because police are coming. The day after everybody disappeared. They came and looked around the day after everybody. Yeah, yeah, they went there. But but I take that back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so now what, I guess I'm not adding the extra step of calling the cop. I think I think Wong in that particular instance, still thought that Juliet, Julie Julia, the teacher.
Speaker 1: Justine Justine.
Speaker 4: I still think he was very dismissed with Justine.
Speaker 3: But he still was going to at least just do his due diligence himself, and just at least because he told he said, all right, fine, I'll call the parents off, meet with the parents and do it.
Speaker 1: Just to check it off the box. That's crazy. I think I grew with Mike. But what else is boarded up with newspapers and the student and the and the and the adults are.
Speaker 2: Staring at the wall, and he doesn't call the cops. He says, I'll just call them in front of I just think I.
Speaker 1: Think he just no, I'm not.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying is that I just don't think he takes he's he's fully invested in what she's saying. I think I think his thing is like, why the fuck are you still at the house when I told you not to go with the house.
Speaker 2: What makes y'all think anything would be different? If she even said anything about the name tags?
Speaker 1: They're not listening, No, no, no, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think my whole thing about the name tag is that I was like, that's a stupid thing to take because that's the obvious thing that we've been going missing, because she knows all the name tags were there.
Speaker 1: But it's so harmless. Though, as a kid, if you have someone who obviously looks at Justine like Wong looks at her, she could bring that to him and he could be completely dismissive of that as well. Exactly I think more so than the teacher. To Mike's point, it's Wong's job. What's that crazy ass lady come in here and tell me that these parents are what even when she came and the mom wasn't there and they was like he just suffered a stroke, they would know that, right, They wouldn't know like like nah, he ain't had no like something. What with this lady? It falls on long way more than me to contact the police, especially after that meeting, like before he leave out of his office. Hey man, my teacher went over there. She said a board it up. I tried to meet with the parents today. Some weird ass lady who said she was the aunt came being really irrational. Y'all need to go over to the house see what's going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not saying that any extra activity should have came out of her taking out of her observing that the tasks were missing. This is just me watching the movies like okay, well that's what she gonna notice tas are missing. That's all I'm saying, is like that that. That's my point about it. To your point is Alex is dumb. Yeah, like what you're gonna take the.
Speaker 1: Kids like eight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't she gonna know that, but you.
Speaker 1: Know, it was actually actually rather than getting caught stealing, Yeah, it worked.
Speaker 4: And the other thing other than like, is that gonna even work?
Speaker 3: Because that's not really their peers, right, That was really my biggest question.
Speaker 4: I didn't think it was gonna work, and I didn't pay.
Speaker 1: Close enough attention. I just assumed that each kid.
Speaker 2: Maybe wrote their own name on the on the name tag, if the handwriting was the same or different, it was different.
Speaker 1: I don't I didn't, I didn't notice. Yeah, so anyways, but but real quick, when we can move on, I think to to wog Wong's lack of calling the cops also speaks to the multi the multitude of failures you can have and in these particular instances, and why things occur. Because Wan was told directly that something is weird instead of calling the cops. He didn't fully believe her, but he was like, well, I go just looking to it myself, because you fucking crazy anyway, and I told you not to do that. You did it anyway, everybody suspect you, so, but just to make sure the box is checked, I'm gonna just go look and then if it's weird, then I'll call the cops, when he probably should have done both. He should have called the cops when it was weird. Yeah, it was weird immediately. But this kind of goes to the stories that public teachers tell y'all, we told them.
Speaker 2: That something was wrong here, and they say every time, the fucking principle doesn't do anything, and then a school shooting happens and they're like, oh, we don't know what happened, and the teacher's like, bullshit, we fucking told y'all.
Speaker 1: So that's why I thought they didn't do a good job here, because we don't see that from her. I saw plenty from her because it came later, like I'm talking about when when the parents had questions and stuff, she was just like, I don't know, I'm just as surprised as you guys, And that's what really got them round. Oh sure at the beginning of the movie, but like once we get forty minutes into the film, we see that she is doing her responsibility. Yeah, yeah, I'm not disagreeing with that over loss of job. For I'm hugging kids and stuff like this, right they kid home.
Speaker 2: I hugged him because he was crying, but like, she's doing what she's supposed to do.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't want your hugging kids. I don't want you to imagine that. Yeah, anyways, sorry, let's move on from y'all. I thought that was important because we talked about it in the beginning. Well, okay, well all right, so Spike, what did you think that Justine and Paul's fight? It was crazy like this, this is where it got chaotic for me. Well, not necessarily this, I'm comment on the next fight. But I figured that she would find a way to fend him off because I didn't think that she was going to die as the main character, so I just went out she was gonna kill him. I still thought she was gonna die, really, I mean yeah, because I was like, I don't think anybody in this motherfucking movie is safe. So I was like, oh, she could die. She could totally die. But when he had her up on the wall and she was ship, she was fucking peeling his face. Man was crazy damn. And then she shot him and was like, going, she had to shoot him in the head. So I was like, Okay, this is this is actually okay.
Speaker 2: So you didn't I know, Jalen, stop my fault. So we didn't you didn't really think that much about Justine and Paul's fight. Okay, so let's talk about Archer and James fight.
Speaker 1: Shit. That this great. It's great. By the fourth time he got up, I was like, okay, what what do you mean? Okay, I just it was too like at that point it became too chaotic. Oh. I like the complexity and the whole movie and the plot. Up until that point, it was like, Okay, this is getting a little bro. We were laughing. It was funny the first three times. Then after five six, I'm like, okay, bro, got was he was tossing his ass, brog. I like the fact he was like, God, damn man, that ship was so fucking it was bro.
Speaker 4: You was, man, what would you do?
Speaker 1: You keep talking? That motherfucker? He keep coming Like goddamn, Bro, what I would do? I would do the same thing, But I just didn't need it reiterated. It was so funny. It was funny. Four times, three times it was funny. Yeah, damn right, Yeah, that ship was dope. That was dope. James starts choking Archer, but he's saved as Justine shoots him. In the back of the head.
Speaker 2: So then Archer finds all the kids in the basement, but he's attacked by Gladys. He's possessed and yeah when she just popped because I know she was down there, but yeah, he's sent after Justine to kill her. So while this is happening though, upstairs, Alex uses Gladys's trick, Ken shows how stupid he is.
Speaker 1: He learned the trick and he sends the.
Speaker 2: Kids after Gladness. So what did y'all think about? The scene where the kids are chasing Gladys down the street?
Speaker 1: Was good? This was my problem, Like, come on, not even the kids chasing that was kind of funny. But can anybody just do the speil? Yeah, I assume I know how to do it.
Speaker 2: I thought she was a witch though, but maybe maybe she is part of the bloodline and maybe that's why he can do it.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't. I ain't like that anybody could just snap the thing and make it. Ain't like, well, if you got the ritual down, like you know, that's all which is witchcraft. I guess. Yeah, yeah, she ain't a witch that she was just practicing witchcraft. I didn't I didn't. I just didn't like it, Spike thinking too much. But because that's going on, Yeah, I guess now it's crazy too how she had him feeding everybody to keep him alive with soup and ship did did he see? Yeah? That was crazy. I think I caught that. Ye did he was? He was? I think she bringing the kid like the camel soups and stuff. You know.
Speaker 3: Did he see her throw the broken twig into the water to break there?
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't think he saw that part. I don't think he Wait, how did the spell get broken? Oh no, no, yeah, yeah, I don't think he knew to do that. Okay, Okay, I spilled broke when she died, right, yeah? Yeah, but man, bro this this was This is definitely one of the most satisfying and is that I've seen in a while, because sometimes they just get away or they get there's no actual revenge of retribution. Now, I thought this was dope. Seeing her fear and knowing what happened immediately and running and being chased by the very thing that she possessed was so fucking great. And the reactions of her going through every single house of the people in the houses, to people coming through was he's a man in the kitchen man when they just because I'm like you, there's no way, yo, that's gonna keep out running these damn kids. This man scene was perfect. I was gonna say that ship was crazy.
Speaker 2: Was in tears, and I can't even explain why it was funny. It just was these little kids.
Speaker 1: She jumped on her back. I was dying, man, that look girl hawked her down.
Speaker 2: Uh oh, this was the most satisfying ending. When they tore her ass apart. Yeah, oh man, this was so goddamn good. And they were eating her and shit, I was like Jesus fucking christ Man. But yeah, so the kids tear, Gladys is ass apart, which breaks the spell on everyone, and Archer finds Matthew, but Matthew's not coherent anymore. Justine finds Alex upstairs hugging his parents, but the parents aren't coherent anymore. And the little girl comes back and she says how the parents are still being spoon fed somewhere, and how only some of the kids started talking again, and that's where the film ends.
Speaker 1: I was so sad, but no happy ending.
Speaker 3: No, So you know it works because I thought once she was dead, the spell would be broken, and everybody returned back to normal. When I just saw the kids just standing there, I'm like, oh shit, which I guess makes sense because she and nobody dropped the twig in the water or whatever the spell bonding thing was in order to break it. So they and they don't know to do that, but technically nobody dropped the twig in the water to free Archer. Either wasn't He wasn't under the possession for that long.
Speaker 1: It was very short, kind of like bed rest, you know, like when people on bed rest they can't fucking walk anymore because they've been on rest for so long.
Speaker 4: So that's why you think he was able to spell broke on him.
Speaker 2: Yes, because he was. He was only possessed for a very short period of time. So I think it's I think it's kind of a statement on how a lot of times the way trauma works. You know, if these kids went through a lot of trauma, it's gonna last longer, and adults can get over trauma quicker. But if it's if it's a trauma involving your kid, the way Alex's parents went through, and they were directly involved, and they were possessed for a long time, then it's you know.
Speaker 1: What's the words were reversible? Yeah, and the parents were under Yeah.
Speaker 2: They were under a spell for a long time so they never recovered. But you could also look at it like, well, well it doesn't matter, we don't got to get that deep into it. But yeah, I thought it was a perfect ending.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, nah, it was sad, but I was like, damn, man, but nah, it makes total sense and no happy ending, so I'm cool with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It took me on my ride home to even think about the school shooting angle because Barbarian again was really good, but you had to figure out, okay, what was the message here? And then that made the movie really good for me or even better or whatever.
Speaker 1: This one.
Speaker 2: I was just like, I don't understand what the fuck is going on. Maybe this is just a even without the message. I think this works works very well even if it's just a regular ass horror movie about a witch. I'm like, this works perfectly, But I was stuck on why the fuck is there an ar fifteen? Then I started thinking about it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think this was a sort of commentary on the way school shootings work and the way trauma works.
Speaker 3: But yeah, weapons using that's why they're called weapons. Adults is using an adult as a weapon, using the kids as a weapon.
Speaker 4: Do you think that he put that.
Speaker 1: Gun in there just to make sure that people got it for those that probably missed it in Barbaras. I think so.
Speaker 2: I think so because a lot of people totally missed the point in Barbarian, including me. A lot of people missed it, So I think he was trying to make it very clear this time. And yeah, of course I was thinking about why they call weapons. But then you look at how when a school shooting happens, everything's weaponized by the right and the left. You know, the left do it in that we gotta start talking about, you know, law changes.
Speaker 1: Right now, and then the right is like, there are no law changes.
Speaker 2: This is just a bad guy with a gun, and the the fix for that is a good guy with a gun. So it's always this thing of like using kids, especially with trauma, as weapons for your own political idea. But yeah, I thought this was an excellent film. So does anybody have any any final thoughts?
Speaker 1: No, I know he actually saw the Josh Brolin's character actually said something about the way the children I'm being weaponized or whatever he said it was. I can't remember his actual quote, but it was like the hook of the movie when he said it, I felt like so, but I've still left the little bit wondering. Okay, the motive behind the Witch? What do you mean? Like I get she like like I said, I get that she needed to I guess wanted to live longer or whatever. I get all of that. I was just I just never got like, why did she picked her own family to do that with like that? That that just never made made sense to me. I just always look at as witches are very selfish, especially if she is like Spike said, if that is correct by her being eight hundred years old, then she just picked a random family. And that's the way it works.
Speaker 2: I mean, just the whole situation was the same thing in the movie The Witch, whereas the Witch was like killing and eating children in order to live longer, which that's an old handling grillel. Yeah, it's like that's an old folk lore with that's how witches work, if they eat kids or they consume kids in order to live longer.
Speaker 1: So they just carried this in here. That's what it was. I was wondering why she wasn't eating the kids and what and how was she getting that energy by them just being there? So that that's what I left with because I always known that how that be the not trope, I guess the folk lore or whatever that they have to eat the kids, and that wasn't happening. So I was just like, okay, so how was she getting this? So that's where the comparisons came in, like she was taking over their brain, Like that's why they put those two examples as far as what they was watching the class and what they was watching a bit of consumption assumption is it's just she was using energy. Okay, thank you? So yeah, that makes it make more sense to me, know, got it? All right? Anybody else? Well, all right? Amount of all hard clear open, all right. Well that was our review.
Speaker 2: Make sure you leave a comment, share with a friend, and we will see you all next time.