Speaker 1: The Frames Per Second Podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to another episode of the Frames Per Second Podcast. We are back doing our weekly recaps on Lanterns. And we are here for Season 1, Episode 3. This episode is titled Outcast. And with me I have Ken.
Speaker 3: Hola. And Spike Lue.
Speaker 1: What up, though?
Speaker 3: What's happening, man?
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, we here for another week. So let's get right into it. Ken, what's your overall thoughts of this episode?
Speaker 4: Loved it.
Speaker 1: I think even though we're only three episodes in, it is the best episode of the season so far. I think they did a good job of kind of giving us a lot of meaningful information on Jon Stewart in this one. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: So I think they did a good job.
Speaker 3: Spike Lee, how you feeling?
Speaker 1: Same.
Speaker 3: I love the episode, man. Got the white folks mad. I didn't really think about it. I didn't really think about it while I was watching it. It crossed my mind a split second, and then I got some text today from some people. It was like, butthurt about this show. So, yeah, I liked it, man. I liked all of it.
Speaker 1: White people?
Speaker 3: The backstory. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Mm-hmm.
Speaker 3: White person was butthurt about it.
Speaker 4: Hmm.
Speaker 3: That's insane, man. That's really insane.
Speaker 2: But I did feel, I was like, damn, this episode black.
Speaker 3: It did feel black. You felt it, watching it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like, yeah, this is, yeah, it felt good, uh, watching.
Speaker 3: So I'm with you, Ken. I loved it.
Speaker 2: Um, especially, man, y'all know, if you, if you really know me, you know I love OutKast, so to have OutKast, uh, like a part of the episode, man, I was in there, I was sitting there happy as hell. Um, but, uh, Yeah, Nick might join us. He got a little technical difficulties he's working on, so he may join us later on. But I'm going to use his notes, y'all. So this could go great or this could go.
Speaker 1: We.
Speaker 2: Got the Nick sauce on these notes, so we're going to see how it go. But we start off the episode with us going back to 2016 and we see Jon Stewart falling from the sky, landing into a sea.
Speaker 3: Of mattresses to break his fall.
Speaker 2: To what we learned is the first official meeting of the guardians for him. What did y'all think of our first introduction of one of the guardians? And what did y'all learn about their background?
Speaker 1: I liked it. I thought that it was, the way they did this was really, really, really good because he's falling out of the sky and then he's walking in office and he's sitting down. And you see these jumps to where they're using like the daylight to kind of tell the story of how time is elapsing. And I'm like, man, he must really want that job. I didn't even think for whatever reason that it was the guardians there and for the guardians to, to be there and, and for him to like be awake and aware that whole time really showed his, his dedication and, Um, and president is like, he really, he really, really wanted to get this job and one of the interviews for this job. I thought what the guardian said, especially given all the, the, the blowback to this was really interesting when he was having that conversation about her in the forum or the, with the guardian, I should say, and the form of the guardian took. And he said, this is more comfortable to the people in the, on Earth. Which, ironically enough, just happened to be a white person and a white woman at that. So, but they must not know about the way white women have been treated in this country, too.
Speaker 4: But either way I go, you know, I thought that was interesting.
Speaker 3: What do you mean the way white women have been treated? I'm kind of... If they want to come off non-threatening, right, if they want to come off non-threatening in how she was trying to portray it, then she took the perfect form. middle-aged white woman. But I like this. I like the whole explanation of it. I like the sitting there in the office the whole day. All of this was good. It speaks to someone new like me watching this. This is giving me the backstory. I didn't feel lost once this episode. It helped me understand the previous two episodes and the relationship that he has with Hal. Is that his name? Mm-hmm. Yeah, the relationship he has with Hale. Like, exactly. Like, I'm getting it now. Like, oh, okay. You can go, Flacco.
Speaker 2: How disrespectful would it be to go to a job interview and they leave you in the office overnight?
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 3: And they come back and ask you, are you still here? Oh, you still here? Fight somebody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't need that job, bro.
Speaker 3: Bro, I don't need that job. Nah, not that bad, bro. Nah, not at all. I just thought it was somebody that would be honest with you. That's true, too. I'm taking somebody. I believe it was something like this. He'll see. Something. If it's just a stapler, Ken, I got to have it.
Speaker 4: Damn, Spike.
Speaker 2: So who's the white man that came out of the room when John was talking, walking in? Do y'all know?
Speaker 4: Mm-mm. I thought it was just another ordinary white man.
Speaker 3: Nah, he's somebody. I watched the recap and they were talking about him.
Speaker 2: Oh, so he is somebody?
Speaker 3: Mm-hmm. They said his name is some old shit. I mean, overall, I liked all this.
Speaker 2: I was already excited for this episode because I saw the preview in the last week and I knew we were going to focus on Jon Stewart. So I was like, all right, we can get a lot more story about why the hell this dude was getting shot like his daddy was shooting a gun at the apple off his head. I knew we were going to get a lot more backstory about John.
Speaker 3: So I was, I was really excited about that. So when we.
Speaker 2: Started here and he was doing the interview, I was like, Oh yeah, they can definitely give us flashbacks into his psyche and who he was. Um, did, did it make sense to y'all why the guardians wanted to do a in-person interview rather than just let the ring shoes people?
Speaker 3: Spike? Yeah. Based off, uh, The villain or the last person that we know? It seems that they are vetting people because they want people to do what they say. They're looking for somebody that's loyal versus somebody that's just got the power to yield the ring. So I learned it in my little recap video watches that this is the first time that they did this. They met in person with them and talked to them versus the ring choosing.
Speaker 4: I thought it was because humans are flawed and they didn't know that.
Speaker 3: What I saw it said that they knew humans were flawed and they're trying to figure out how to interact.
Speaker 1: With them okay so they're switching up their process this go around because of how Jordan's.
Speaker 4: Still his lingering connection with Sinestro.
Speaker 2: Okay at first I didn't take it that way until I could actually told us and then explain it a little more I thought it was more so just a formality.
Speaker 3: Because it seemed like.
Speaker 2: When we saw it in episode one, how attached she was to being a Green Lantern, I thought maybe like there was something else that happened in between that time. So for me, I didn't really look at it as the how point that they later revealed. I thought maybe just somewhere along the lines, like they just like, oh, we don't get, because at this point, obviously I don't know lore. Cause they've been well actually in the fuck out of me and Nick, but more so Nick, Nick, Nick's a fan. So they've been getting Nick ass, but, um, so yeah, right now I'm just like, okay, I'm going to go on.
Speaker 3: It's just like you spike.
Speaker 2: I'm just as lost as you, as far as the Lord, I'm just acting like I don't know anything at this point. Cause I really don't. Uh, so I didn't, I thought it was maybe a formality in essence. Um, was John cocky or confident in his interview with the guardian?
Speaker 3: I think it was a little bit of both. And right from the start, once they showed us all the shit that he'd like, he'd been training for this since he was five years old. I think that you're going to have some level of confidence. If you've been training for something since she was five, like you ain't going to be able to hide it.
Speaker 1: Hmm. Uh, He was very sure of himself. So I would say confident. Yeah, I would say confident. That's his purpose. He believed in his purpose and his destiny. So he wasn't raised or trained to do anything else. And you see people like.
Speaker 4: Last question for.
Speaker 3: You broke it.
Speaker 4: There you go. Yeah, yeah, that's all right.
Speaker 1: It can come across as cocky, but no, I think he was just really sure of himself and extremely confident.
Speaker 3: I think this is where, like, we get the first.
Speaker 2: Well, based on the questions that Nick has prepared, I think if this came across your mind, this would be the first time in the episode where being black plays a major part to me because... You know, white men can walk in a room and be arrogant and it is considered cocky or confident. You know what I'm saying? But when black men actually have this feature or even as a black person, a black woman to like is viewed differently. It's like you're not supposed to feel so sure yourself. You're not supposed to feel like it's a guarantee to have this.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 2: So to even be in this position of saying confident or cocky, I think that speaks to the blackness, like the blackness and like how we have to be a certain way in a room. But he was, I feel like he's just confident. Like, I worked my whole life off of this shit. Like, that's like, I know I'm prepared. There's no reason I shouldn't get it. I am prepared for this. If I don't get it, I'm pretty sure it would have broke him. Because we see later on, like, and he thought it wasn't going to work. But I don't think he would have been like, I deserve that.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 2: It was just like, well, I.
Speaker 3: Did all the work.
Speaker 2: And I think that's the difference between being confident. Yeah, that's the difference between being cocky and confident. Cocky is like, You think you deserve everything that comes to you as compared to being comedy. Like, I worked my ass off and I prepared for it. And that's what I felt like Jon Stewart felt like.
Speaker 3: That's a good point. Is this a thing in the comics? Like, this playing on his blackness at all? Or is this just for the show?
Speaker 2: So, based off the racism that I saw today, that I sent y'all as far as, like, them review bombing, everything. And they were like, why they got to put race in it? People were dropping panels where basically Jon Stewart talks about race, like the Greenlanders talk about race, like his race. They even talk about how Hal Jordan is racist in the comics. So it's a part.
Speaker 3: Of the Lord. That's what I thought. I was like, they wouldn't just add this shit in here if it didn't have something to do with the comics, I thought. Because that's what I was explaining to the person texting me. I was like, bro, you didn't even watch it. You're just looking at clips and you're talking about Oh, they forcing this in. He's like, no, it made sense. It made sense within what they was doing.
Speaker 2: Man, people do this, bro. Tell me you the ism without telling me you the ism. Like, that's really all I hear when niggas do this. Just say you're racist and you don't fuck with black people. That's all you gotta tell me, bro.
Speaker 3: All right, cool. You ain't gotta give me all these other complaints. Just say you're racist. All right, cool.
Speaker 2: I'll respect that more than you lying about all this other shit. but it's it's similar akin to i like people be like i don't want politics in my comics and it's like nigga comics are political like like niggas put messaging in it x-men was political like all this shit is political and you don't you don't want politics and wokeness in your shit but that's what it's.
Speaker 3: Just we don't agree with when they don't agree with the politics that's when they oh why is this in here.
Speaker 2: Exactly niggas are root for captain america but they don't want politics in their comics.
Speaker 1: You know, I think for that particular individual, I think it would help them to watch the episode so they can have full context if they can stomach it. Because I don't think it was really, I think they did a really good job of kind of talking about these issues, but not coming across very messagey, if you ask me. From how I viewed it, there was just commentary here and there about certain things that that particular person has to do or realize that his place in the world. But outside of that, it was, it didn't seem like it was that, that heavy handed.
Speaker 3: It was not. And I agree with you. And that's what I, this person would agree with you too, but they just listening to the feedback from people who did watch it and feel that way. So they kind of, like you said, if they can stomach it. So now they got this thing in the head where they won't watch it because they feel like it's just certain way. that these people who hated it are presenting it, versus it wasn't really heavy-handed at all. Like, I did feel like Jalen, yeah, it was a black episode, but it wasn't, like, preachy. It wasn't like some other stuff that I've seen that's way more overt than this is. So I just thought it was normal. It was part of the story that they were telling. They didn't force this in here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Go ahead, Kim. You know, I'm just going to say, you know, he was created at a time where when he was created, they couldn't just not address it. You know, when they created this character, like it is part of who he is. It is part of Earth's history. So to just act like it didn't exist, as Jenna was saying earlier, it would be kind of crazy because that's not realistic at all.
Speaker 2: I was watching Justice League and the league goes back in time and Jon Stewart meets his comic book group that basically he grew up reading and he ends up teaming up with them and one of the dudes says, you're a credit to your race, son.
Speaker 3: And he's like, huh? Thank you. So it's like it's.
Speaker 2: Always been here, but people just it's just the climate that we in. Everybody wants to point it out. You know what I'm saying? And I guess the other part is when you don't really completely relate to something, you feel like it's a tack low key, especially when everything else has been.
Speaker 3: Relatable for them. And I was like, oh, oh my God, they make it a left turn, but.
Speaker 2: I don't relate to everything going on.
Speaker 3: And it's like, all right.
Speaker 2: But yeah, this was a great episode. I'm going to fuck who think otherwise. Like for real. Um, so we traveled back in time and we see that when John was a baby, we get a look at his father, who was actually chosen to be the Green Lantern, but he was too afraid to take the job offer.
Speaker 3: Any of y'all laugh at this scene? Wait, what was y'all laughing at? Which part? The funniest part.
Speaker 1: To me was when he was trying to explain to his wife why he was scared.
Speaker 3: She was like, what the fuck is this supposed to mean?
Speaker 1: I'm in a green ass bubble and I'm floating out the goddamn bed.
Speaker 3: Of course I'm afraid. Well, that's some black shit, too. That's some nigga shit right there.
Speaker 2: Fuck, I ain't gonna be happy I'm in this shit, nigga.
Speaker 3: This whole thing, how they played this out, because even when she realized it later, she was so sorry. She was like, man, I'm I thought this motherfucker was crazy. Like, he telling us he got abducted by aliens and shit. That nigga crazy. But, like, I love how all of this played out, and it was black as hell. Like you said, like, just how he explained it, Ken, it was like a nigga would, like, man, God, what?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm scared.
Speaker 3: Like, what the fuck is he talking about? Yes, I'm scared. Shit. I'm scared the fuck out of her. Yeah, fuck that. Yeah, I'm like, I like this shit. Yeah, Lil Murda ain't know what to do, bruh. I ain't watched it, but I know he said that was him.
Speaker 2: Nah, I didn't laugh, but I mean, internally, I was thinking like, He ain't lying. I can't imagine being in my bed and a green bubble would put me up and ask, are you afraid?
Speaker 3: Fuck yeah, I'm afraid.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: Like a nigga with you and with a gun. I thought y'all knew that. Ken, I would have thought they had the mind reading thing. If I lie, I die. That's why I'm like, yes, nigga, I'm scared. I ain't like, yes.
Speaker 4: Put me down, shit.
Speaker 2: It's like you waking up to a gun like Tariq and Power.
Speaker 3: Yes, nigga, I'm afraid. Okay.
Speaker 2: That's a hell of a way.
Speaker 3: To interview, bro.
Speaker 1: I don't want this job.
Speaker 3: I'm good. Actually, you know what? No, thank you. I'm good.
Speaker 2: Hey, but he had it like a nigga after the fact, too, because you said, like, talking to his wife, like, man, if it was another time, if that nigga would have came at me on another day, it would have been a totally different story.
Speaker 3: He caught me at the wrong time on the wrong day. I really just wasn't expecting that the day I would have it on the day. Like, hey, listen, let him come back. Let him come back. It's funny. Oh, it's good. But now, what did y'all learn?
Speaker 2: What did y'all think about what happened next when John's father had like a slight mental breakdown and like realizing that he basically missed like the biggest job offer? What did y'all think of his mind state at that point?
Speaker 1: So it was. He realized that he missed out on a great opportunity. And then he saw it was given to a white man. So who knows what he was thinking in addition to that? Like this white man got picked up and he was like, I'm not afraid. But yet when I come and then I didn't get the job. So I got, I lost this job to, to a white man. And, you know, it was a, it was an opportunity that he missed out on and.
Speaker 4: He struggled to adjust to that.
Speaker 1: So there was this sort of, regret um that that he had because he he didn't get the opportunity that that he felt like belonged to him so uh so yeah and and he he couldn't adjust to that and he was weighing down on everybody in the family and you know taking this outside of that like because of that thing he became a broken man and you know it it and we'll get to the woman but she had to hold this shit together because the External factors outside, some that were not in his control, had a pretty traumatic effect on him from a mental standpoint. And he couldn't take it. And he brought all that shit back home to the point where he was losing his whole family. So, yeah, it was a big moment.
Speaker 3: Agreed, man. And they did a good job. Because it was subtle. It wasn't overhanded. They didn't sit in it too long and make it this emotional thing. But they did a really good job of showing how impactful it was. As Kim was saying, you have the wife who's impacted, like her whole life trajectory changes because now she's trying to prepare the son for it. You got the dad's life who's changed because he felt like he missed his chance. You get the youngest son who they trained and who now this is your whole life is about just this thing because your dad missed his chance. And then you also get the other kid who don't get attention, as we've seen later, because everything's about him being the Green Lantern. So all of that came from just him having this breakdown and thinking he missed his shot. I thought the tentacles of how it spread out from what they showed was really dope.
Speaker 1: And in a way that a lot of people, especially certain groups outside of us, will realize you can see the traumatic effects of what happened in the past and how generations behind it bear the brunt of that and suffer and struggle. And their life trajectory has changed. So these things get passed down to the kids. Become generational.
Speaker 2: What did y'all think of the overall... Just overall of the mom in this episode. What are y'all thoughts on her in this episode?
Speaker 3: A beast. I love the mom in this episode. I love the fact that being raised by a single mother and mostly women, just seeing her get in the mold. She was like, alright, I'm going to take care of this shit. I'm going to make sure that you're prepared, that you have what you're supposed to have. We'll get some assistance when we can from dad. He fucked up right now, but I love how she stepped up and how it made her look as far as A lot of people probably would have called it hard parenting and it was, but it's still, she had an objective in mind of what she wanted her son to be and the path that her life, that his life was going to take. And she took control. I loved her in this episode.
Speaker 1: The mom was interesting because she was definitely, definitely the embodiment of a strong black woman running the household. from her strength of position and empathy and love as well. She was a glue for all of them. And she was strong when she needed to be and not weak, but caring when she needed to be. But still also somewhat stern, right? Because she understands, especially in her position, what it's like to grow up with color. on you.
Speaker 4: And she was not afraid either.
Speaker 1: When she ran into the alien, uh, as well, she was checking the alien. She was like, well, prove it, you know, and then invited it in to have, have coffee and have a conversation about, you know, what earth is like for people of color that they didn't even see or acknowledge because they're not familiar. But her line was like, even out there, we're still like last to be called. Um, So I loved everything that she gave to this show. And I felt really bad for her, too, because she had to carry that as well and get everybody through this. Because there really wasn't, outside of the diamond that they got, there really wasn't anything to gain from the sun becoming a garden outside of the fact That I can think of. But she was fixated on it. Was it because her husband could have had it? What was the driving force behind her wanting her son to get the thing that her husband did not get?
Speaker 3: I thought it was just because her husband missed his chance. That's the only motivation that I really just took from it. They had the opportunity to be a part of this thing and her husband missed it so her son wasn't going to miss it. I think I'm torn, man. I was torn while watching it, too.
Speaker 2: By the way, Jasmine Syphus Jones, like, she killed this, by the way. Like, and she fine. She been fine since Hamilton.
Speaker 3: Like, been fine. Yes. But I was.
Speaker 2: Torn because there was also this pull of, like, energy as a black person that just loves black women and understanding, like, when a black woman is behind you, bro, like, you feel invincible, like, it's just, like, when she, as a mother, as a wife, as just anything, when you feel, like, the power of a black woman, bro, it just feels like you can take on anything, so that's the part of me that really resonated with me, but I also felt this piece of, like, man, that's a child, you putting all this burden on, you know what I'm saying, like, he don't have a childhood, he, like, his brothers are starting to hate him, like, you, you, you're telling him what his destiny is. And it's like, I don't really fuck with that at all. But again, like Ken said, I didn't really connect it, but yeah, it's like carry trauma. Like it's like how we do. A lot of times we do in black families, we do just like put things on our kids. Like, especially when your dad was a former football player or such and such, you have this expectation for your child to be something that you weren't. So you continue to push and push this idea onto them, which continues to traumatize them in their own way. So when John eventually starts having the conversation with the Guardian about his parents, it was interesting to me how he was responding. Because it's like, are you sure that's how you really feel? Or are you saying it's because you need to get this job? Can you decipher between what you really feel compared to what you were told to feel to get this, what you were told is your destiny?
Speaker 3: I don't even think he knows. I think he was programmed so bad. I think there was so much programming in him from the moment that he probably understood things that this is how i'm supposed to answer it's like to your point i don't even think the right answer is in his head the answer is this is what it's supposed to be this is what's been hammered in me and since i was five years old i don't even know the right emotional answer to give you that's what yeah and if.
Speaker 2: That's the case man again it ties back like to at least to me to me it ties back to like as black people, a lot of things we're taught is the way we're supposed to think and the way we're supposed to be and the way we're supposed to show up as compared to like what we actually feel, especially black men.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like black men, we definitely do a lot of like showing up. So that way we don't, we aren't stigmatized and put in different boxes. Like, that's why I'm really on a journey to try to deconstruct what blackness is to me. Cause it's like, do I really fuck with this or do I fuck with it? Because the rest of the community.
Speaker 3: Fucks with it. I was told to fuck with it. You know what I'm saying? Um, So if that's the case, man.
Speaker 2: That makes this even a better episode to me. That's what they were really trying to hammer home to. So, Ken, I appreciate you bringing that to life for me. If you would love to have more content from Frames Per Second, become a patron where you can contribute to what we review and discuss. Our Patreon gives the listeners the power to nominate and vote a monthly discussion and film review, while also nominating and voting on weekly solo reviews from each cast member. You also get the opportunity to vote on the publicly released anniversary film, all exclusive to our Patreon so become a patron at patreon.com frames per second where there are two tiers you can choose from that's patreon.com forward slash frames per second but Nick has here a special shout out to the writer of this episode because I did watch the video and she did speak a little bit about it Vanessa Kelly she also wrote the last episode too so shout out to her for the big one. After threatening to leave, we also see that Bernie runs into the Guardian that we saw at the beginning of the episode and she apologizes for causing any mental and emotional harm to the Lanterns during the selection process.
Speaker 3: What did y'all think about.
Speaker 2: The reparations of the diamond? Like, out of all things they can give her, they gave her a diamond.
Speaker 3: That's a big-ass diamond, though. I feel like it was worth a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Put her under investigation, what John said.
Speaker 3: But, I mean, didn't they eventually figure it out, though, I would say? I guess, but still, like, shit. But, I mean, hey, she should know. I was looking at it like, shit, fuck being a ladder now. Like, you got, that had to make them millions of dollars at that, a big-ass dime.
Speaker 1: They spent all the money, though, didn't they?
Speaker 3: On what? I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 1: She said it.
Speaker 2: She's like, we're running low on money. She did say that.
Speaker 3: She did say that. That's what I was wondering. I was like, where the fuck all the money from the diamonds go? Because that's a lot of money from what I've seen in other movies with diamonds and their sizes. That's multi-millions of dollars, tens of millions of dollars. Or the government took half that money.
Speaker 2: Took more than half of it because it's like yeah ain't no way it came from now you can't keep all.
Speaker 3: This yeah that's true.
Speaker 1: It's it's well again the aliens have no idea of how money really works um so it just gave us something of value that it that it is.
Speaker 4: Aware of but.
Speaker 1: You can't give a black per black person a diamond like that and expect them to be able to have ease cashing it. It's just no way possible. They're going to think they stole it. They're going to think everything in the book simply because they're black. And that's what it was a very small line.
Speaker 3: That's the gift of the curse token. You got to go to the streets. They probably went and tried to get it legally done. You got to take that down to the streets. You got to go out there and see what everybody's talking about outside. before you take that anywhere near anything that's got anything to do with what they're going to call the police.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then you're not going to get the full value of it. I'd have took pennies on the dollar to get rid of it, just to get rid of.
Speaker 3: It, and to get my money.
Speaker 1: All that shit I had to deal with, with my husband almost running me out the household until your blue ass showed up here? Nah, man, I'm getting every single damn thing.
Speaker 3: I would have went outside a million flats you can have. Million cash money, we gone, no negotiations.
Speaker 1: Spike, they ran out of damn near the full value. You think how fast they'll go through a million?
Speaker 2: So, hey, I've been hearing this lately, and I'm kind of curious to ask this question.
Speaker 3: How long do you think I can live off a million dollars? With no other income? Yeah.
Speaker 1: Not long.
Speaker 3: Five to seven years?
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: If I'm paying all my bills and just not... If you're not trying to hold on... If I'm not trying to save no money and I'm living like I have a job, it wouldn't be no longer than five or seven years. Especially in today's economy. Shit.
Speaker 1: You need a million just to get started, especially when it comes to retirement and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: That's the launch point.
Speaker 1: And then from there... you have to find ways to have that millions of dollars generate income. So you have to find the right passive income investments that do that without the expensive fees.
Speaker 4: Attached to it.
Speaker 1: So money market accounts, treasuries, bonds, et cetera, et cetera, and find a way and dividends and stuff and then have that compound. But that's going to be hard to do because you're going to be taking money out, which reduces.
Speaker 4: The ability to compound it. But there are ways to do it.
Speaker 1: But at least 500 got to be making more money because depending on your expenses.
Speaker 2: Y'all niggas must be making some money. Because I don't see how five to seven years, I could stretch it a little bit longer than that.
Speaker 3: Nah, that's going to be it for you, Jay. I'm telling you, I promise you, bro.
Speaker 2: Listen, y'all say, so y'all making it seem like we.
Speaker 3: So even if you make 100K a year, I don't make $ 100, 000 a year. I keep it a book. I don't make $ 100, 000 a year.
Speaker 2: And I'm living the life I'm living right now. And half of it is gone. Well, a good portion of it is gone in taxes. You telling me you could only live five to seven years off a meal tax-free?
Speaker 3: With no other money coming in?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You say it now. You got $ 100, 000.
Speaker 4: Whatever you make, you.
Speaker 3: Make that consistently. You got money coming in. If that is just a lump sum over five to seven years, like it'll get scary quick. And you can be living amongst your means.
Speaker 1: You have to have, you have to really be like no debt. Um, the house has to be paid off, but remember you got to pay taxes on that. You're going to need gas, food and all that other stuff. So yeah, it, it, I mean, and it's possible that I'm thinking about because from a family of four, but even just thinking about if it was just me, yeah, I think it will start to get low. Like, it has to make some money in order for you to keep it.
Speaker 3: Like, even just looking at this, like, let's say you just wanted to invest it, and you make, like, to make 75 grand a year, off your money, you're going to at least have to invest 75 with 1.5 million.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's to make 75 grand off just not doing nothing.
Speaker 2: I get what y'all are saying. Y'all are saying that y'all need to be making money. If I already got what I got and I got a million dollars, I'm straight for a little bit.
Speaker 3: For five years, nigga. That's what it's been for five or seven years. It's going to be a little bit. I didn't think we lived it alive. Year three or four, Jaden, you're going to be like, God damn, now. Something's got to start shaking. Something's got to come in. Everything's been going out. By year three to five, you're going to be like, hold on. I might got to be a greeter at Walmart or something just to keep some income coming in.
Speaker 4: You could probably get a good 10 years off of it.
Speaker 3: I was about to say, I could probably get 10 years.
Speaker 2: I was about to say, the way you said five to seven, that's what I'm saying. The way you live in, you said five to seven, but that's beside the point. Let's get back to the episode. Was it in good faith to trust the Guardian? I think for her to trust the Guardian and do this. Being a black woman in America, was it in good faith for her to trust somebody who isn't even from this world?
Speaker 4: There was another person of color, Jalen.
Speaker 3: There you go. DEI. There's a DEI trust.
Speaker 1: You know, that took a lot for her to do that. But, you know, I think for them to come back and try to right their wrongs because they didn't understand how humans function and the dynamics of race in America I think they came across as someone that can trust because they operate from a different set of rules and I think she just went with her gut and trusted her gut that this person was being truthful in the things that they were saying so yeah but I mean what else you got to lose You already know what America is. So, shit, might as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's how I looked at it. Like, what else you got to lose? Like, we all in at this point. Like, yeah, I trust you. Like, I'm trusting what you say because I wanted this thing so bad. My husband wanted this thing so bad. So, yeah, give me the diamond and let's get to work. Well, that's where Nick's notes end, by the way.
Speaker 2: So, we just going to be here.
Speaker 4: Dang, he got far.
Speaker 3: That wasn't even halfway, dude. That was a quarter of the way. So we about to be bouncing around, y'all.
Speaker 2: So I told y'all, we can go either way with Nick Notes.
Speaker 3: Facts.
Speaker 2: So what did y'all think about the backstory that we got about John and the military where he had to go on this mission? What did it teach y'all about John himself when he had this mission that he had to do?
Speaker 3: It made the sitting there at the job interview thing look like a piece of cake. Again, I love this episode because it built up who we was looking at the first two episodes. And I loved how they placed it because I didn't need this the first episode. I didn't need this the second episode. But giving it to me the third episode made those two much better because I had questions about this dude. When I'm watching him the first two times, I'm like, why he act like that? Why he got this little quirk? What's this little thing that he got with Hal? All of these little questions pop up in my mind, being a new viewer of this. But then I get this episode and you get that to your question, Jalen, that mission where they telling him, hey, bro, you're going to have to sit out here for maybe months on end and nothing's going to happen. And you can't move and you just got to be on your... P's and Q's. And when it do get ready to happen, you just got to be ready to do it. The last dude that went and did this, we didn't even hear from him. We won't even know where he at. And for him to be like, like just unfazed. And that's why I didn't think he was being cocky in the interview. Because this was prior to that interview, right? Or was it after? So he's been through things like this. And you're talking about like, oh, sitting here for overnight? Yeah, that's nothing to me. I sit for six, eight months to sniper and kill a dude like that. I do this. So all of this stuff of how he's just receiving hell and the hazing that he's doing to give him the Green Lantern thing. All of this stuff just adds up in this episode. And it's really good.
Speaker 1: Uh it definitely showed his his preparedness um you know he sometimes a little bit too much where he's a little too buttoned up when he went to meet with the guy he came in a full suit he was like bro we supposed to be undercover like what are you doing But he's dedicated to his job.
Speaker 4: He only knows one way, and that's how he was raised.
Speaker 1: So he's going to be fully committed to the task at hand, and that was him.
Speaker 4: What was really interesting, I wanted to see how he.
Speaker 1: Handled the lightning and splashing in the water and the injury. And none of that stuff really seemed to bother him at all. And hearing that he was there, what, nine months eating off bugs and berries, all for It to once again be taken away because of this white man, Hal Jordan. He sat there for nine months. Now, you know, he stank out there in the woods, eating all kind of damn stuff, even though she said he was a vegetarian.
Speaker 4: And right.
Speaker 1: We need to get an opportunity to take the shot and complete the mission.
Speaker 4: Just like that. It was snatched away from again. Hal Jordan.
Speaker 1: Coming along and messing up something that has to do with this family. I don't know if that's a metaphor. I don't know what they're trying to say. It's recurring, Spike. It is.
Speaker 2: I definitely spoke to Jon Stewart for sure. Understanding him a little bit more as far as he's very mission oriented. The idea is to either complete the mission to fail they're like there's no in between there's no nuance for him like he understands i have to do what i'm told to do and that's it um i can't remember what he said i think they say like the panic button he's like i'm not gonna call panic like it's just not gonna happen the job is to do what i'm supposed to do when i'm gonna do it um and when the guardian was asking about being uh dishonorably uh discharged is that correct He wasn't even willing to really get the details because he was just like, that's confidential. I'm not really supposed to say that. He's very much by the book. Very much by the book. Even for something that he knew he's been working his life off, he's like, I still owe this respect to my chain of command. You know what I'm saying? He's respectful and all the like. So, yeah, definitely gave us insight there. But then the part with how coming to take it, it's just like, damn, this nigga came and take some shit again from me. The white man just took that shit again. I felt that too, Ken, when it happened.
Speaker 3: Is this the dude from the preview we watched for the trade reviews? Yes. That's the same dude? Okay, gotcha. He getting some shine, man. He getting some rolls. He getting some rolls.
Speaker 2: What did y'all think about the scene where they were in the car and the brothers was picking on him about the ATLians, the song playing? What did y'all think about this dynamic between him and the brothers at that time?
Speaker 3: That's when I said what you was talking about, Jack. This is a black ass episode. Because that's how we are as little black kids. We do the same thing to your little corny cousin that maybe can't, what you think, don't know the words. And then they may surprise you. They do know the words. And it's a big thing. I thought this was dope. Like, even the episode title being called out, because them hazing him, acting like he don't know it, him actually knowing the song. And I just, this was black as fuck. I liked it.
Speaker 1: It made me think about how he really hasn't had an opportunity to be a kid. You know, everybody else get to play and have fun and listen to music and do this, that, and the other. And we learned that he is doing these things on his own time in his spare time, probably away from the from his parents.
Speaker 4: His parents probably don't.
Speaker 1: Know about it. But even in that moment where you get a chance to bond and spend time with his brothers, which came up later, the Guardian kind of provided some more insight into that. It got snatched away because he got to get back on task, got to get back on the mission. and dropped him off in the city to walk all the way back home. And then when he get home, he breaks down in tears because all he wanted to do was sit there and listen to music and enjoy this moment with his brothers. And it just, in that one scene, you see that he doesn't really get a chance to spend a lot of time with them. And even they were kind of echoing that and even clowning him for the way he taught. Like he grew up in the same household, but they were talking like, oh, you sound like some white guy or something like that, which was interesting too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: It was definitely tough to take, especially when you walk in the house and all your moms say was like, I got your dinner. I mean, you could also tell that it broke her a little bit to have to do that. She was just doing what she felt was needed for him in that moment.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that right there.
Speaker 2: Was like very much a gut punch. Because, man, like, I can, like, honestly, for him to know the words, I thought he was going to fuck up the words, too. I was like, you ain't got time to be learning this shit.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying? And that's how they felt.
Speaker 2: Like, man, they got you doing all this other stuff. You don't even know.
Speaker 3: I know you don't know this.
Speaker 2: I know you don't know the words to this. And so when he did it, even though I was kind of like, the way you're saying it.
Speaker 1: But you knew the words.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 3: So this was real big. I like this also because I feel like ain't nobody gonna fuck with no little kid, little black kid walking through the hood. Like, regardless if they know what you got going on or if it's parents or not, like, he would have been able to really, like, just walk through pretty safely at that age.
Speaker 1: I don't think it was about.
Speaker 4: Like, niggas would.
Speaker 3: Have been pressing him. He too young. Like, if he was older, maybe somebody would have pressed him on some, like, some hood shit. But at that age, I feel like it was it wasn't egregious to test him in that way, because I do feel like most people are going to leave him alone. Like you got to be really like a sick fuck to let him like something going to happen. I don't think he'll that age. So I think it was OK test.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, yeah. Yeah. OK. Now I see what you're saying, because there are. sick folks out there, but you can hear the dialogue. It was like, hey, what's up little man? Yeah, that's how it's going to primarily be. Yeah, but it really was about what you're saying is that I'm really 90% sure that he'll be okay. Let me see if he will have the strength and the resolve and confidence and lack of fear to make this walk and be confident that he'll be okay. So can he complete the mission? And, you know, once he got going, you know, he did. He walked through and got home. And his crying wasn't about him being afraid or anything.
Speaker 4: It was just about I didn't get a chance to play. Y'all took that.
Speaker 3: I had to do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had to do that.
Speaker 3: I had to go be like, a little mini adult right then. That's what the crime was about. That's how I took it. It wasn't, again, that I was scared or terrified that that happened to me. It was like, man, I wanted to do outcasts with my friends. See, that's why I thought this episode was black as fuck, because I don't really think white people, and I may be speaking in general here, I don't think they really understood that. I think as little black kids, we get put in those scenarios sometimes from family members or people that you care about or love And you know it wasn't out of, it's not malicious at all. It's just like, nah, you got to go do that because that's just a part of you growing up.
Speaker 1: I think it was whenever she said something about privilege, I think that probably was the trigger word for a lot of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she did say privilege before.
Speaker 2: But this is like, as bad as it is, like when you're told if you go to school you get your ass beat, or.
Speaker 3: Like if your siblings.
Speaker 2: if your sibling don't let your sibling get to be in the fight and your ass ain't jump in it. You know what I'm saying? Like it's, it's certain things as black people, it's just like, you know, you gotta know, you just gotta go do it. Like, this is how it is. Like it may not be, it may not be right per se, but it's what we have to do because of the circumstances that are built around us that we just got to learn to get like thicker skin to do this shit. So yeah, that's, that's definitely on that. Hit it on the head there. Um, Well, we didn't eventually see. We learned about the birds. I figured it connected back to something in the last episode. We learned that basically the birds were supposed to be watching him. The guardians were watching him. But his mom admits that that's not completely true. That she doesn't know when the guardians are going to come back. But he keeps saying that he ain't scared.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That he can do it right now. You know what I'm saying? That he good. And so she tells him, well, nigga, shoot the gun off your daddy's head and say your daddy's shooting the apple off your head. What y'all think of this scene before he actually does the whoop-dee-doo to his mom?
Speaker 3: They did a good scene. They set it up well, man. Like, this episode, they're doing the due diligence of taking their time to get to places and scenes. Like, they ain't rushing shit. They making it set up very good. Like, him not even being able to do it. Him, like, just being scared to do it, even though he thought he wasn't scared. And then the birds showing. Like, all of it was great. Even the mom, like, not even being, like, I ain't even trying to coddle you in this moment. It is what it is. Like, watching you, bro. Like, we training you for this. This is some Kobe Bryant shit. This is some Mamba mentality shit, right? Like, I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a really, really good conversation that she had and just being upfront and honest with him. And it really gave him the confidence that he needed, that he lacked.
Speaker 4: Because he did have fear that he.
Speaker 1: Was going to, even though he was really, really good, because they said earlier he can shoot a moth out of the sky or he can shoot from a mile away. So just little audible things that they did, they told us that in terms of shooting, he's really good at it. But when there's somebody there in front of you that you love, then you have fear. And that fear can lead to a mistake because you have to be focused and locked in. Just one slight twitch or whatever, your heart's racing or whatever, it's a wrap. But she talked a little bit too much shit and put herself in that situation.
Speaker 4: She was fucking terrified. And I thought for.
Speaker 1: Whatever reason, not for whatever reason, I don't remember ever seeing the mom in the first couple episodes, so I thought he was going to shoot her. I thought so too. Yeah, I was like, dang, bro. And that's what hardened him and made him into the person he was. But no, I really loved it. What I liked about the conversation, from what I can remember, is she was just kind of giving him the game a little bit about what it is and raising him in this world to just letting him know how things are in this world for Black kids growing up, but to not have fear in this world as a Black kid growing up and you know, understanding and knowing and taking your place in this country and not kowtowing down to the system in place, which is a very difficult thing to do as a parent, especially me raising two black boys.
Speaker 4: It's like, I want you aware.
Speaker 1: Of these things, but not to the point where you're afraid to move around when you see like a cop or, something happened and you feel like, Oh Lord, now these white folks going to get me. It's like, nah, you know your place in this world and you have rights within this world, uh, because you're entitled to them, but also be aware that not every situation, you know, uh, not everyone, uh, complies with that. So, but, but not to walk out the house every day of fear of something that's happened. Cause that's not a way to live. Um, it's the way I grew up, but I did not want my kids to have that fear as well. So, um, So I really love that conversation that she was giving him. I thought that was really, really dope.
Speaker 3: Agreed.
Speaker 2: I agree with everything y'all just said. And so we go back to the semi-present where John is discharged. And so now he feels like he can't do this. That means everything's over since then. He's not a part of the military, and so he begins to go to art school.
Speaker 3: So in art school.
Speaker 2: He learns more about architecture and things like that. What did y'all think about him going to art school and getting ready to do a course and coming to the realization that he was actually talking to a guardian? What did y'all think of this scene?
Speaker 3: What kind of shift there? Can I ask a question real quick? When he was shooting at the dude he had been sitting out there for a minute, how did the Green Lantern, did he know he was trying to kill him? Is there anything behind it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the guy that he was reporting to, when they met to discuss the mission, He said that how Jordan was doing what how Jordan does. He was at a bar drinking and drunk and there was a conversation that happened.
Speaker 4: And when he heard about it, he went, yeah, yeah. And he wasn't supposed to do that, but he did it anyway.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, but, but this, this scene was dope because when, when it's like the way he was talking sounded weird, but I didn't really place it until. right around the time he finished drawing. And I was like, man, I'm wondering if that's a garnish. So when he gave the ring, I was like, damn. And then I was like, of course it would make sense that he would have to have a good understanding of how things are designed and work in order to construct these things. Now, is that necessarily true?
Speaker 4: I doubt it.
Speaker 1: I think it's really an imagination. But I think what it shows is that he... has a little bit of extra in him that others can't because of his ability, his natural ability to draw and remember those details, which may give him another edge over other Guardians.
Speaker 4: But no, that was dope seeing him do that.
Speaker 1: And again, they do just enough superhero stuff to remind us that this is a superhero show. But it's definitely not overboard with a lot of superhero shit.
Speaker 4: At least in the first three episodes.
Speaker 3: And I think that's adding to it. Because for me, for one, watching it, I feel like I'm always on the edge of like, okay, when the superhero stuff started. But I'm not missing it because it's not there. They're doing enough filling in the show with the rest of the backstory, filling in the show with the dynamic between Hal and what's his name?
Speaker 1: John Stewart. Hal.
Speaker 3: John. Hal and John, they're doing enough filling in the story with that. They're doing enough backstory with the family. All of the stuff is working. So when the superhero stuff does happen, Ken, to your point, yeah, it's great. It's like, oh yeah, this is a superhero show. But I'm not waiting on it and it's not pressing me at all. So I think they had a really good dynamic of balancing those two. To the drawing scene that you asked about, Jalen, I like this a lot. Again, adds to Him just being the dude for the job, having an art background, being able to draw this, doing a thing, getting the ring. It's just good. They're doing this show very well.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: It did come to me by surprise that it was a guardian a little bit. But to use this as another way to build upon Jon Stewart was great. He went to art school because this part didn't work out, and how his mom came in and had the conversation with him, what is a, I forgot the saying that she said, but it was dope, I can't remember what it was, damn, but it was something about courage, and for her to come in there and talk to him, she was just a powerful force, bro, like, just, just every time, yeah, every piece of it, like, it just felt like this motivation to continue to keep going because she was there for him. Um, that's why I'm so torn. Cause when you sit and really think about it, it's like, she really put him in a position to succeed for what he became, what he's becoming. But at the same time, it's like, damn, how much trauma did you put on this nigga at the same time in order for him to get there? Um, yeah, it was like a helicopter day.
Speaker 3: It's like, impressing his son on football, like to do all the drills and the scrimmages and the shit like that. And they end up being good. But to your point, it's like, man, they missed their whole childhood though. He was doing the heels and fucking, uh, suicides. One of him is a 10 year old. So yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you get Michael Jackson without the ass beats?
Speaker 3: Yeah. Good point.
Speaker 2: So, but, I mean, and so from here, the Guardian and John, they continue the conversation, and it's revealed that the Guardians, basically, they don't fuck with Hal.
Speaker 3: They don't trust this nigga.
Speaker 2: And they kind of want him to take his place. What did y'all think of this conversation of why we get these little nuggets, and now they want John to take Hal's place?
Speaker 3: It makes sense. It makes sense of how... How I'll be acting, it makes sense that they interviewing in person now. It just makes sense that they're like, nah, the buddy right here, he fucked up. And we make sure we never give up. another one of him ever again. So, yeah, I don't care if he's scared or not. Like, being scared ain't even his problem. It don't even matter if he's scared. Like, we just want him out.
Speaker 4: That's the problem. He has no fear.
Speaker 3: He ain't scared.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 3: That's his problem. We was asking the wrong damn question. Like, are you afraid?
Speaker 1: He was like, nah.
Speaker 3: I was like, okay. I'm like, no. That ain't the right question for him.
Speaker 4: How's disobedience is a problem for them.
Speaker 1: He was supposed to go and enter because they, the guardian said that he, he's not supposed to interfere in any thing that's happening on earth. And they, as you said, they, they not messing with him and they cannot trust him because he does whatever he wants to do, do whenever he wants to do it. And, um, And that within itself is a sense of privilege, right? There hasn't been any repercussions for being disobedient with Hal. And I think they may be concerned that since he still has an attachment to Sinestro, they may be concerned that he could eventually flip and turn if he doesn't like the way things are going or if he doesn't agree with the mission And he believes it should be the other way and not not the way that they want it. So when it comes to being in an organization like that, where they're basically guardians, cops, police, military or whatever, chain of command and being able.
Speaker 4: To follow orders is very important.
Speaker 1: And throughout this episode, throughout the first couple of episodes of this of this season, even in this one, he was like, is that my order? And she was like, yes, that's your order. He was like, well, how I feel about it don't even matter because you gave me an order and I'm going to follow it. That's what they want. And they can't have anybody that's going to do whatever they want, whenever they want it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think, I think that's the premise of why he's going to, he's becoming a Greenlander. Um, And I was like, how I came in that house was disrespectful as fuck. I'm like, damn, fuck this nigga. Nigga was calling him Junior. All that type of shit.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 2: Like, he was just... He tried to.
Speaker 3: Like, I hate.
Speaker 2: You know what? You know what it really was? I hate the friendly, disrespectful white man. That shit there.
Speaker 3: Pissed me off, bro.
Speaker 2: Like, you being... You got a smile on your face and you smug. Yeah, like, and you know you being disrespectful as fuck. You trying to little man me? Nigga, fuck you, nigga.
Speaker 3: Like, I don't like that shit. And so, that's what really was pissing me off. We kept calling him Junior. You call him Junior, right?
Speaker 2: He's like, no.
Speaker 3: He's like, yeah, but I'm calling him Junior.
Speaker 2: Like, no, fuck you, nigga.
Speaker 3: My name is John.
Speaker 1: Like, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, overall, man, and then the episode ends, obviously, with Hal flying off and John talks to the bird, basically saying, I think he likes me.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 2: A nice little nod to the bird, obviously, theme that has been going on since the last episode. But, yeah, man, that's pretty much the gist of it. I apologize to the listeners if there was something in particular y'all wanted me to get to that I forgot because, you know, I had notes. I had to go to the top of the dome because somebody ain't finished the notes.
Speaker 3: But, uh, yeah.
Speaker 2: Is there anything else y'all like to add before we close out?
Speaker 3: Nah, that's it. I've been enjoying this, man. I'm enjoying it. Happy we got you on board, Spike. Yeah, I'm fucking with it. It's been a rough month. It's been a rough month.
Speaker 4: I came up with an idea, Spike.
Speaker 1: I hope you like it. We're going to see what everybody thinks. But, um, It's so, of course, I have very similar feelings watching this about how black it was without feeling forced. You know, like it's one of the blacks. Like, if you know, you know, you kind of get it. Seeing the backlash and shout out to D.C. for even doing that. When they started to have those conversations that happens in the household away from other years, I was like, oh, I didn't I did not think they were going to go there. And they did. So salute to them for being having an episode like this in a climate that we are in.
Speaker 4: Which leads me to them paying for it.
Speaker 1: And it's unfortunate because it doesn't matter what it is. It's just anything that's catered or even close to something that black people can like. They just can't stand it because they feel like something is taken away. And when you look at this episode, you can really see, and it's unfortunate they're not really kind of observing and watching it from just the lens that it's in, of what it's like to get a peek inside of a Black family. And this was provided to them, salute to that writer, without being very over the top. But you can see these small little things that happen to Black people by a white person intentionally or unintentionally. And Hal Jordan is the perfect example for that. The Guardian is the perfect example for that. When he comes in the house, he once again took away a moment from this family, whether he intended to do it or not, because he said, I really wanted to be the one to tell him.
Speaker 3: But as soon as he get there, who's in the house is Hal.
Speaker 1: And he didn't get a chance to drop that news that they spent his whole life preparing and building him to do. And in comes a white man telling him that they actually did the job really, really well to the point he got the job. That's how they found out, you know, and it's like, it's like Saban may be calling and say, Hey, here's your son made the team before your son get a chance to call you. Like that's the moment that they wanted to share. And I think that it's unfortunate that they can't just look at it from that lens because I think this wasn't a show that, you know, of pity as black people, but an acknowledgement of what it's like to be black. There's not a lot of whining or complaining. It's just situational awareness. That is, that's all it is. And it's like, you know, they tell us these things about, oh, you know, it's all about merit. But then you have Hal, who was chosen because he has no fear, but he can get away with everything, even though he's great at what he does, but he can also get away with things, but he's also a fuck-up. So he can do both. So he's really good at his job, but he's a fuck-up at his job, too. Whereas when you look at Jon Stewart, Jon Stewart has to be completely buttoned up, straight, and narrow in order to get the job.
Speaker 3: He has to be perfect.
Speaker 1: And it's just like, there's this, and then the Hustable line, it's just like, what the hell? But so small, so subtle, he thinks he wasn't even being offensive, but he was. Because those are the things that black people grew up with. where a lot of those lines were very intentional. So it's hard for us to let it go. So again, I think this episode was written really, really well. It wasn't very overt to me.
Speaker 4: And I think they're just in their feelings because this is what they are. And they, for.
Speaker 1: Whatever reason, came out of this show as a victim. I don't know how, but somehow they're victims, Spike.
Speaker 3: Because they feel like, I don't even want to. You did an amazing job there of summarizing that. Because I was trying to explain it and couldn't to people earlier. You just did an amazing job of saying, hey, this is the reason why I register for black people and why I wasn't overly black. It was just, if you offended by this, then you might ask, like you said, Charlie, you might need to have a conversation with yourself about the isms. If you stepped out and you was like, oh, well, Why are they doing this? Why are they this and that? And I can say that as a person who has changed now, when I used to look at stuff and be like, man, why are they putting all this extra stuff in here? Not to you.
Speaker 2: But I was going to say, is any marginalized group of people like, why are they putting this in here?
Speaker 3: Why are they putting this in here?
Speaker 2: It's like, bro, it's a part of the story.
Speaker 3: Exactly. And I've gotten to the point, Jay, now, like doing more reviews with Friends Per Second, just hearing more opinions and I don't question it now. And when people do, it comes odd to me now. And I understand how I used to sound because I didn't get it at first. When I would be like, oh, why they put this in here? But now it's like, bro, it's in there. Okay, who gives a fuck? It's part of the story, bro. Like, usually you commenting from a place of you not even watching. You don't even know the context of this. You're just mad because it offends this group of people who you think you relate to. You have no idea what's going on. Again, I told y'all, I was having a text conversation. I was telling the person, I know what type of movies or shows that you like. If you were to check this out, I promise you would have a different opinion on this, is what I told her. But you just listening to these people over here who you think that we agree on all of these things. So I would agree with.
Speaker 1: Them on this.
Speaker 3: And now you're running with it and thinking that this is one thing, but it's not. It's just like what you were explaining to King. Like this is there's this thing with black culture that it's hard to relay how they did. it in this episode in the sense of it ain't overt, bro. Sometimes it's just these situations as to where you have to have this awareness that's like, I'm Black, bro. I have to conduct myself in this manner. I can't think about it the way that y'all are thinking about it in the mass streams of it. And they did a good job of that in this episode. And if you just tune in from the outside and you're like, oh, this is them trying to insert this into pop culture. It's not that. They did a good job of this and telling the story.
Speaker 1: And what I like is kind of what you said. Like the question is, like the people saying, why are they doing this? That is the question to ask, but not in the way that they're doing it. Ask, why are they doing this? Not, oh man, why y'all doing this? No, really ask, why are they doing this?
Speaker 4: So they can really get an understanding of what's going on.
Speaker 1: But, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was a good episode, man. They was in their bag right here.
Speaker 1: But they'll get their show back next week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they'll get their show back. It's coming back, y'all. And that's the thing. Y'all can be happy about it. It ain't going to be every week. We don't get it all the time, bro. It's there if you're in between. Yeah, we're done with it. When we see it, we appreciate it. And we move on. Like y'all should.
Speaker 2: Well, we all still excited for the show. We're going to keep watching it. But, you know, hey, man. I know my bias is not going to let them top this episode. Okay, how good the rest of these episodes is. My bias is already set.
Speaker 3: This is the best episode. This is the best episode. Thanks.
Speaker 2: Thanks. But, man, we'll be back here next week, man. Hopefully, y'all keep tapping in. Make sure to follow us at FPS Podcasts.
Speaker 3: Join the Reddit thread.
Speaker 2: Become a patron at patreon.com forward slash frames per second. But until next time, peace.
Speaker 1: Peace and salute to them for ending the episode with OutKast. For real.
Speaker 4: They taught all that shit together.
Speaker 3: With gasoline dreams, too.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I didn't know.
Speaker 1: B-side.
Speaker 3: B-side.