Speaker 1: The Frames Per Second Podcast.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome to the Frames Per Second Podcast, where we are reviewing the new film.
Speaker 1: The Dog Stars, or Dog Stars, no V. No V. No V. I am joined today, you heard the voice, that's Ron. Yo, what up, man? Beside Ron, I got Kim.
Speaker 2: Hola.
Speaker 1: And beside me, I have Mike Seatown. Yo. With the corduroy shorts. And the corduroy shorts. Why did that need to be called out? I don't know. I don't know. I just, I saw it. I was like, oh, those are corduroys.
Speaker 3: I ain't never seen corduroy shorts.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I didn't even notice it until you said that. I feel like I'm getting clowned, but it just hasn't gotten there yet. No, I just never seen it. It's just interesting.
Speaker 2: That's funny because we sit here in silence for like 10 minutes in the first thing.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: He could have set this shit off. I would have looked it up. I never looked it up, man. Oh, shit, man. All right, man.
Speaker 2: We're going to go around the room and see what we thought about this film. The dog stars. I'll start with you, Ken. What'd you think?
Speaker 1: It's like.
Speaker 4: I like parts of this movie and then I hate it. Parts of the movie as well. And I really like more of the post-apocalyptic world, the survival, the fighting. It's just all that other shit that was, you know, interwoven through here. I just wasn't much of a fan of... When it was over, I didn't, like, walk away. I was like, that was terrible. But when it started out, I was like, oh, my God, this is freaking terrible. I need to get out of here right now.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 4: But, yeah, it was a lot of, like, Highs and lows for me overall.
Speaker 1: But, yeah, I can't say it was awful. Okay. Mike, can you say this was awful? No, not at all. Okay. No, I liked it. I thought it was good. Okay.
Speaker 5: It's not a movie that I would typically go to a movie theater and watch, but it was good. I wouldn't go see it again. It definitely should have been straight to Netflix or something.
Speaker 1: Right. But, yeah, it was cool. Roy, what did you say?
Speaker 3: It did seem like a Netflix movie. But no, I enjoyed it though. Netflix movie or whatever. It was a solid movie to me. I had no expectations. I had no desire to see this. I probably would have never saw it if we wasn't reviewing it. But yeah, I'm glad I saw it. It was a solid story. I like the approach they took with this because I wasn't expecting it to go necessarily like this. And I don't know if we ever seen anything like this per se. At least I can't remember us seeing anything like this.
Speaker 1: I agree with you.
Speaker 2: I don't think that we've seen... I like the world that they built up. I did like that. And I wish that we had gotten more from the world. But I think I'm in agreeance with you guys. I didn't hate the movie. I walked away like, man, that was terrible. However, it did leave a lot to be desired for me in the sense I don't think they've flushed out the characters enough for me to care about any of them. I just didn't buy into any of the relationships. And it wasn't a lot of payoff for me. The big payoffs, I feel like they could have been more. I would have liked to know more about what happened, but we'll get into that when we get to the points.
Speaker 5: No, that was my main point. Because I want to know what happened. Like, what virus is it that knocked out all of the black people?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Why, one, were there no black people anywhere? None.
Speaker 6: They weren't even the bad guys.
Speaker 1: No. They were just dead. Nowhere. It was just no black people. They must have put it in chicken. Or watermelon. Or grape soda. Or grape soda.
Speaker 6: It was a grape soda virus that took everybody out.
Speaker 1: That's funny. But, yeah, I wanted to know what, like, even....
Speaker 2: I couldn't even tell if the people were infected or not. But they raided the farms when we got there.
Speaker 1: I didn't know. No, they weren't infected. They were? They were just crazy. They were not. That's what I thought. They were just survivors. I think if you get infected, you just die. Okay.
Speaker 6: Like the black people.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: So we'll get into all of those things. But we start out. This story, in my opinion, takes a while to get going. So in that while to get going, we learn about Bangley. And we learn about Higgs.
Speaker 1: Higgs is Jacob. What's his last name? Lordy. Lordy. That's his character. And then Bangley is the other, roughly. Josh Brolin. Josh Brolin. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So they kind of set up this world with Higgs going around picking up supplies.
Speaker 1: He's doing his thing.
Speaker 2: And then Bangley is there at the ranch, not wanting him to leave as much. And they have these two kind of sides of how you handle this apocalypse world. Did you guys find yourself siding with either one of Bangley or Higgs?
Speaker 3: Well, I kind of disagree with you with the, like, well, not disagree with you, but I have a different opinion from you for it. Like, the character building. Because I did like the dog. Like, I was a main star. Yeah, I got invested in the dog early on. And the other characters, too. So, yeah, I did feel something for them. But I did like the world building. And you asked if I liked. I didn't like one over the other. It just seemed like a, you know, they were partners in this whole apocalyptic world.
Speaker 1: So it just seemed like they had a good, good, uh, good partnership going. I'm team Bangley.
Speaker 2: I could see you being team Bangley. Ken, why, why'd you side with him more so.
Speaker 1: Than he is?
Speaker 4: Well, he turned out to be right for the most part, at least 80% right. Um, and, uh, uh, It's the world out there is crazy. We don't know what's going on, but we're, we're somewhat safe and secure here, even though the threats are building. And he learned that on his expedition out to get supplies and stuff that, you know, there are other forces that are coming out here. And I guess eventually I think me, if he was there, he probably, well, we'll get to all that, but yeah, I think he was right. Like, but he's also a war veteran. So he looks at the world from a different perspective, but I think he was absolutely right.
Speaker 1: We don't know what's out there. It's dangerous out there.
Speaker 4: There's a reason why you're walking around with a gun everywhere you go to just get supplies. You're not going out there without a weapon. You're going out there because it's dangerous. And you're safe here in a place that we have a perimeter set up and we have a protocol in place to protect this place and secure this place.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, I was definitely team Beckley. That ain't living, Ken. That ain't living, man. Go out there, you won't be living long.
Speaker 3: That's what he said. That's what he told him, too. That's what he told him, too. But I think both of them are necessary, though. I think both are needed, in my opinion. Especially if you, like he said later on in the movie, it's like, you know, you're not different.
Speaker 1: I had a wife. I had a dog.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying? I loved this and that. We just had two different lifestyles. So, like he said, he's built for.
Speaker 1: That type of environment or that type of world. He just isn't. He wanted more. Mike, what did you think about the yin and the yang of Bangley and Higgs? I'm with Rod.
Speaker 6: I think both of them were necessary.
Speaker 5: I get Bangley's point, but Higgs, I.
Speaker 1: Don't want to live here with you. Right.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to get some cutting.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 6: And you don't want to go where the Mennonites are.
Speaker 1: Mormons. They were Mennonites. I know.
Speaker 4: I was doing the reverse joke they were doing in the movie.
Speaker 1: And then he fell right into it. No. For a hot second, I was like, wait a minute. I remember the joke, but I was like, did I get it backwards? He fell right into it. Because I'm Team Bangla. Right. So Bangla called him Mormons. That's funny.
Speaker 2: To that, did y'all like Jacob in this role? Did y'all like him playing this character? I mean, he was comfortable.
Speaker 1: Yes. He was super comfortable, man. He's really good. He clearly didn't want to do Euphoria. I mean, he's totally trying to erase that era of his life.
Speaker 3: Like, you could tell he wants to be that good guy type, you know, character.
Speaker 2: So he's changing his old image. I think I seen maybe too much euphoria. That's all I kept seeing.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 2: It was hard for me to buy into his character, man.
Speaker 1: I think so, too. I think he's a racist.
Speaker 6: I kept calling him Nate Jacobs in my head, but at the same time.
Speaker 1: Really? No, I'm with Rod.
Speaker 6: He's trying to walk away from that and be like, that's not me.
Speaker 5: Interesting.
Speaker 6: He don't want to have the Joffrey treatment.
Speaker 1: True. Yeah. Yeah, he was excellent in this movie. He was. ken you said he was totally erasing that euphoria character.
Speaker 4: No well i'm just saying he clearly watched euphoria and watching this and seeing other stuff he was in he clearly um didn't want to do that he was mailing it in we saw the reports and the stories that he was you know focused on recording other stuff so he i think they said uh he did his parts without everybody else something like that uh i forgot how the story fully went but There was always that conversation about his character in Euphoria. And we finally got a report about why and why he was acting like that and doing that. But then you see this, and you're like, oh, yeah, he really didn't care all that much about that shit. So, yeah, we covered him in Frankenstein. And, you know, I may be the only one that saw Weather in Heights, but I saw him in Weather in Heights, and then I'm seeing him in this. So he's definitely, definitely trying to get away from that.
Speaker 1: Have you watched it? Man, hell no. I'm a thug, man. I thought you may have got tricked into watching it. No. No, my girls don't watch stuff like that. Okay. All right.
Speaker 2: So with the back and forth from Higgs and Bangley, you get that kind of different ideologies that they have about the post-apocalyptic world.
Speaker 1: That they're living in.
Speaker 2: And then that sets up Bangley to kind of set a trap for Higgs, per se. He knew he was going too early on the post-op thing. Well, he knew he was going too early to see what they were supposed to before it got too dark. So he kind of left him out there to himself to get shot in this. His dog gets shot, killed.
Speaker 1: Stabbed. Stabbed. You skipped over a pretty big part. Go ahead. I'll be quick.
Speaker 6: It's where he runs into that bump.
Speaker 1: When he was out. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then we get... He told them the stuff was coming.
Speaker 5: Huh?
Speaker 1: And he told him that the people were coming. We get the whole.
Speaker 5: Exposition of what, this was the corniest part of the whole movie. When Kim was talking about those parts I love, parts I hated, this is the only part I hated.
Speaker 6: Because I was like, dude, seriously? Like, make this make sense.
Speaker 5: You ran into a bum that shot you or tried to shoot you with an arrow or some shit.
Speaker 1: You shot him.
Speaker 5: And then he's just like, did you know that there was a virus that wiped out a bunch of people? And by the way, there's a whole bunch of Reavers coming. So be prepared for that.
Speaker 1: You don't need me. What is this?
Speaker 5: Y'all could have just had an opening crawl and just put the fucking text on there.
Speaker 6: That would have made way more sense than this bum telling this story.
Speaker 4: And I think it also was showing that he left them alive, so it gave them a reason for Bangley and them to have that discussion. to further show what type of person he is. He was like, oh, you left him alive. That's what you do. He's gonna come back to kill you, blah, blah, blah, blah.
Speaker 1: So yeah.
Speaker 5: It could have been more impactful if he shot the bum in the leg and the bum was like, look, I got a family, bro.
Speaker 6: Please don't kill me. And then he walked away.
Speaker 5: Two second scene, and we would have got the same emotional impact from him and Bang Lee's conversation.
Speaker 1: That exposition shit was weird as hell. You do got bullets. He wasted a whole bunch of them.
Speaker 2: He thought he didn't have none. He's like, you put the gun down. You ain't got no bullets. But they go through the thing with the bomb.
Speaker 1: They go back.
Speaker 2: They kind of set the loop. It wasn't a trap, but he kind of lit. He left him out there by himself a little longer than he should have, which rubbed him the wrong way, plus his dog got stabbed, which leads to Higgs leaving.
Speaker 1: He wasn't even at his post, but keep going.
Speaker 2: Well, he did that on purpose, though. Yeah, I know, I know. Was this justifiable? Could y'all see this being the last straw and him leaving? Well, there's nothing left. The dog was gone at this point. I was surprised they killed the dog. I didn't know the dog was going to die.
Speaker 4: I think I got this movie confused with the other movie about the man and the dog.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. I can't remember what it's called.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I was like, I thought he was going to have to get in the plane, fly somewhere, and try to save the dog.
Speaker 1: That's what I thought the movie was going to turn into. But it did not.
Speaker 4: He put that motherfucker in the ground, which was fine by me because that dog was starting to get on my nerves.
Speaker 1: You crazy.
Speaker 6: You just saying shit now.
Speaker 1: That was the best dog I ever seen in my life. That was the goodest boy.
Speaker 4: Maybe it wasn't the dog, but I definitely got tired of him always talking to the dog.
Speaker 1: That was his best friend? Yeah. Bro, every single time. Get in the car. Good boy. Come on. Bro, I like. They were establishing how much he meant to. No, it was. It was.
Speaker 4: It felt like it was mostly for the movie to have dialogue in it. But I know people talk to their dogs, but not every goddamn second.
Speaker 1: Mike, no.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was just about to say, that's the most wrong you could ever be.
Speaker 1: It is, it is. I used to have three dogs at one time. You probably don't. You don't even talk to your kids. He don't even talk to his kids. I'm not saying that. He said it before. He's like, they'll just be rusting all around me. I don't even pay no attention. That's what he said. I'm just saying.
Speaker 5: Ken with a dog. That's why all that dog gets. I talk to Zoe all day long. My girl will tell you from the other room, what.
Speaker 1: Did you say? I'm not talking to you. Zoe's right here. Why do you think I'm talking to you?
Speaker 5: And she talks to her cat all the time. And when she had a dog, we both talked to the damn dog. They understand after a while.
Speaker 1: I do know, but. You saw him jump up in that. He said, get in the plane. What did that dog do? He didn't have to tell the dog that. It was going to get in the plane anyway. No, he was playing with them kids. And he said, come on, Jasper, get in the plane. I did like that scene. I was like, man, he was having so much fun with that. Yeah, he was. Oh, man, I did like that.
Speaker 4: But, I mean, that part he had to call him, you know, so I get that because that dog wasn't going to leave.
Speaker 1: But the other parts when he's about to get in the plane, he was like, get in the plane. Good boy. It's just like, bro, he's going to get in the plane anyway. Why do you have to tell him to get in the plane? You don't even have to tell him to do that. He's going to do it.
Speaker 4: Oh, no, man.
Speaker 5: Especially with all them other dogs that were running around. He might have got sidetracked and ran off after another dog.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those other dogs. I was confused by that, too. I was like, this is going to be a whole movie of dogs. Yeah, it was. I saw these dogs around here.
Speaker 5: Because there were a lot, lot, lot of the other dogs. And they didn't really say anything about it.
Speaker 1: So I thought that was kind of weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So what'd y'all think about him leaving, though? Yeah, I wouldn't have just left. I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: Josh Brolin would have had to die.
Speaker 1: Oh, you would have killed him.
Speaker 6: Abso-fucking-lutely. He did some bullshit. Now, granted, it was partly my fault, but no, no.
Speaker 1: There was.
Speaker 5: I didn't like this. There wasn't enough. He hit him one time, and that was it. No, no, you got to break his jaw.
Speaker 1: He didn't feel like he did.
Speaker 6: Like, who the fuck are you?
Speaker 1: You're not my fucking father.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: You're not my father. You're not my dad. Like, why are you over here trying to teach me lessons? And then you taught me a lesson that could have got me and my dog killed?
Speaker 1: Nah, man.
Speaker 5: I literally in the theater, I said, God damn it. This pissed me off so bad.
Speaker 2: What about this boy, Ron? He leaves after the dog. He wasn't even remorseful. Bangley really wasn't remorseful at all.
Speaker 3: He wasn't at first, but then he came back around. I did like that he, I did like that he can't.
Speaker 1: That he can't. He felt bad, he just didn't want to show it. Yeah, a little bit at the end when he was pulling off.
Speaker 3: Nah, yeah, he showed it at the end. Um, yeah, it was, it just took it too far with the lesson or whatnot. You know, like I said, the dog ended up dead in this situation, especially if he could have saved him. Um, before we got to this part, though, with the, with the.
Speaker 1: Uh, what are they called? What are they called? Mennonites. Mennonites. Um, What was... Did they say what was going on with the kids at that point? Because I don't remember them mentioning... I didn't think they said they were sick either. I know later. That's what I'm saying. I don't think so. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I was wondering, like... A guy who was in there, he said something about them being sick. Did he? Yeah, he mentioned them being sick. Yeah, I thought he did. Because he had just lost his wife or something like that. A guy from Marvel.
Speaker 6: I can't remember his name.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I can't believe he has a small world in this. He didn't do shit. He... I mean, that's all he wanted. He was like, hey, man, I'm tired of being... He is Wong, right? I looked it up. Okay, thank you. Yeah, I did.
Speaker 3: It was interesting to see that it was that village of people that they were familiar with before he got back to the base or whatever. But no, I like this moment, though, when he left. That's when he described how we're different people or whatnot.
Speaker 1: And it made a lot of sense.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying? It made a lot of sense what he was saying. Because I kind of was with you, Ken. Like, yo, why would you leave this area? I mean, you've been able to survive this long or whatnot. But I understood when he said, like, well, this is not the life that I want.
Speaker 1: You know, so. The one that I'm used to.
Speaker 2: Like, I'm used to, like, loving my kid and loving my dog and family.
Speaker 1: Well, his wife, kissing his wife. Oh, well, yeah, the kid. Building the family, basically. You know how they are. The soon-to-be kid.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: All right. So he leaves. And, of course, he wrecks. We need that for the movie. I had thought. You said you knew that before the movie? I mean, he had to wreck. Yeah, you knew that was going to happen. I know. I quit. I know. I know. I was like, what happened? I was like, Bangley was right. Bangley was right all along. Yeah. That's what he.
Speaker 6: Was thinking when he fucking had the phone.
Speaker 1: He was like, stop. Bangley was right.
Speaker 3: Because when I first saw the plane, I'm like, this plane is going to survive too many more days.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Or whatever. So when it happened, I was like, oh, yeah, there you go. I couldn't believe this. How are you a mechanic, bro? I mean, he got it back running. Your oil thing came out? Your oil pan? He didn't check it before he left.
Speaker 6: I was like, get out of here, bro.
Speaker 1: Oh, my God. It was smart. He had to turn it off to kind of coast down, relieve the pressure on the engine, because that engine lockup is a wrap. Show how good of a pilot he was. Yeah. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. He was a good pilot.
Speaker 4: He... He had been doing those exercises in the air we saw earlier where he would just turn it off.
Speaker 1: We didn't know he was practicing for a suicide mission. But either way it go, like, because I looked at the dog face, the dog was like, what? Yeah, the dog was like, are you kidding me? I didn't agree to this. I'm sorry. Who told you? I was going to. Oh, look. Let me out. Let me out. But, yeah.
Speaker 7: If you would love to have more content from Frames Per Second, become a patron where you can contribute to what we review and discuss. Our Patreon gives the listeners the power to nominate and vote a monthly discussion and film review, while also nominating and voting on weekly solo reviews from each cast member. You also get the opportunity to vote on the publicly released anniversary film, all exclusive to our Patreon. So become a patron at patreon.com frames per second, where there are two tiers you can choose from. That's patreon.com forward slash frames per second.
Speaker 2: Yeah the plane goes down as the plane goes down we're seeing again he's a good pilot he lands it he's able to get a little runway situated there.
Speaker 1: I was looking too. He got lucky I was too, right? I was like, dang, we can't wait.
Speaker 2: No way he finna sit that down. I thought it was going to be some water somewhere. But when he lands the plane, something starts coming up the mountain.
Speaker 1: What y'all think about the Buffalo Heard scene? Man, I didn't know what that was. I was like, dang.
Speaker 3: Because you could see it in the back, like fake, you know, like kind of faint or whatever.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh, man, something's coming. And then when it came, I was like, oh, I didn't know it was there.
Speaker 3: I had no clue it would have been like a herd of, I thought it was like bison or something.
Speaker 4: I thought it was a damn earthquake. I was like, shit, what the fuck is going on, bro? You should have stayed where you were at. Would y'all have gotten under the plane?
Speaker 1: I think that was smart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the smartest thing. That's the only place you ain't going to get killed.
Speaker 6: And I'd have turned that damn thing on.
Speaker 1: The propeller. Yeah. Because them bison were rude. They were rude. They were just like, get this shit out of my way. Hey, man, you was in their way. That's true. That's true. They were there first. That's right. That's their house. And you just showed up. What you doing? What is this shit?
Speaker 6: That one bison just tore that piece off.
Speaker 4: He was like, man, we're bison.
Speaker 1: Why are y'all running around in this shit? He did that on purpose, too.
Speaker 6: I'll land this damn plane on my road.
Speaker 1: He took the extra hop just to hit it. He really did. Get the shit out of here. He know he's going to go back and talk shit to the rest of them. You saw what I did?
Speaker 6: I tore the damn wing off.
Speaker 1: Fucked his little wing up. Let's see him fly after that.
Speaker 2: But I was thinking it was something else because this movie is listed as a sci-fi movie.
Speaker 1: Oh, it is? Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's listed as suspense slash sci-fi. So I thought it was going to be something else.
Speaker 1: I saw drama. Drama and sci-fi. That's what it's listed as. Slash. Slash, yeah. But after the bison, he has the interaction with the couple. Excuse me, the mom. Not the mom.
Speaker 2: The daughter and the dad that are living on a farm. What did you guys think about the dad?
Speaker 1: Semi and Papa.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Simi, Pops, the whole interaction. Is it Simi or Zimmy? It's C-I-M-I is how it's spelled. So I thought I heard Simi.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something like Simi. Did you like Simi and her dad? I like Simi. I was like, oh, he ain't leaving. And if he do, he a fool. If he do, he a fool. The second I saw her come out, I was like, oh, he's not going nowhere. He was sitting back there. The second I heard her voice. Well, I didn't know who it was.
Speaker 5: I didn't know who it was at first. That could have been an ugly-ass old lady. Not that, well, you shouldn't call people ugly, but you know what I'm saying. But when she came out, I was like, oh, oh, okay, so this is.
Speaker 6: What the movie is. It's going to be him and her.
Speaker 1: Got it. I thought the same thing.
Speaker 3: My first thought was like, he better be glad the old man ain't like Bailey, because Bailey didn't ask no questions. He would have shot him on sight, not asked any questions. That's the first thing I thought, because we didn't talk about that scene when those people pulled up.
Speaker 1: He didn't even let them even get close. Rob Markman That's what I love, bro. One shot. Rob Markman And he had good reason, too. He's like, what, I'm going to wait for them to tell me? Like, nah.
Speaker 3: So he's lucky that the old man just didn't shoot him on sight. So that's what I was thinking.
Speaker 1: Rob Markman Ken, what'd you think about the dad in Simi? Pops was hilarious. He was funny. Yeah, he was hilarious. Like, unintentionally funny. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: He already knew that this guy's a problem. And then he saw the way the daughter was looking at him early. And he was like, yeah, unload the clip. Get up out of here, bro. Like, we don't need you around here. I was like, you hating hard, man. Because she don't want to be here with True the rest of her life.
Speaker 1: Right. And she's showing the cheats on purpose. Oh, yeah. Come on now. And the perky. And the perky. With no bra.
Speaker 6: Because I noticed she had a bra on when he got there.
Speaker 1: She didn't have a bra on that day. And then she put one on later. And she had some extra short shorts on. Right. She knew what she was doing. She knew what she was doing. Oh, this is his last day. This is my last chair.
Speaker 6: Look, he said, I got.
Speaker 1: To clear these stones out.
Speaker 5: Before I can leave. And she was like, let me show this motherfucker how I can deal with some stones.
Speaker 1: Right. She was throwing them all sultry-like. He was like, you need to focus on the job or something like that. I am. I'm focused on the job, doc. Yeah, that was funny. I was like, oh, is they intentionally doing this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they were absolutely intentionally doing that.
Speaker 1: But that makes sense, though. That makes sense. She wants to be enticing. Like, Yeah. Well, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: But this is where I tap back out of the movie. I'm like, all right, well, shit, here we go. Like you said, this is going to be the rest of the movie. I'm like, all right, it's going to.
Speaker 1: Be the love entry. You thought it was going to turn into a love story? Yeah, yeah. I was like, all right, man. The dog dead. Why am I even here anymore? I don't know. Why y'all don't accept it?
Speaker 2: I did write that in my notes that they take too long setting everything up.
Speaker 1: Mm-mm. I don't think that. I don't think so. Yeah. Mm-mm. It was a world-building movie. It was.
Speaker 4: I think when this part happened, I looked at my phone. I was like, man, we still got an hour or so left. I was like, Jesus Christ, I'm going to be here all night.
Speaker 2: I had no problem with it.
Speaker 1: The dad had a right to be skeptical, right? Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this tall, good-looking dude come up, and he looking at my daughter's booty like this.
Speaker 6: He would have been like, why are you worried about me looking at your daughter's booty?
Speaker 1: And he had coffee. Yeah. She was like, you want coffee? I'm like, no. He know he wanted some coffee, bro. He did. He wanted some coffee. He did, but he wanted them cigarettes. He damn sure wanted them cigarettes. Yeah, cigarettes. Oh, yeah, cigarettes. I thought they were smoking weed. It did look like weed. They were smoking weed. Oh, hey, and they ain't giving them weed. Oh, they had weed and cigarettes? Uh-huh. Okay, I wasn't doing that. All right. That's right, because she said, I ain't had it in a long time. I thought it was cool, too. The music? Yeah, the music part was cool. It was. It was like that. It was. I'm just like, how the hell are you charging the iPod? Was it an iPod? But they had electricity. They had generators. Yeah, but those things use a special cable. He probably had a cord.
Speaker 6: I got about seven cords from my MP3 player. You still keep those? I always have an MP3 player for when I go to the gym.
Speaker 1: Okay. But it was good. I was like, why'd he pick that song, though? Like, you didn't have nothing better? I don't know, but I did want to get an iPod. I had that thought. I was like, you're going to love it. I'm like, how do you know she's going to love that? I don't think she loved it. I think she just liked hearing some sounds.
Speaker 5: That's a bullshit-ass song, bro. You ain't got no Yeezy in your Serato?
Speaker 1: You got no Yeezy?
Speaker 2: Did y'all think anything when they were talking about the small things they missed?
Speaker 1: Did y'all think anything that y'all might miss? Man.
Speaker 6: No, I think they hit it on the nose for me. It was just like, I miss music.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Music is good. What did he say? The grocery store?
Speaker 5: He said he missed the grocery store, being in traffic. I'm telling you, they did a really good job with building the world like this.
Speaker 1: Yes, they did. I thought that was really good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But I didn't think about what I would miss. You didn't think about that? Anything hit you, King? Nah.
Speaker 1: I was just wondering, like, why you miss traffic? Because it's just a normalcy. Yeah. Right.
Speaker 2: I could imagine, like, nobody being around.
Speaker 1: Like, you're only around the other dude the whole time. Traffic came through with them damn Bison. They sure did.
Speaker 3: But I'm with Mike on that part. Like, something that people complain about all the time, which is traffic.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Once you don't have it, it's like, oh, this is weird. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Kind of like when COVID. You go out of COVID, man. It's like, man, where the hell is everybody? It was weird. I didn't miss it, but it was weird.
Speaker 1: It was. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I missed just going to regular, like, to the grocery store and standing in the grocery store line.
Speaker 1: That's right. Yeah. Yep. All right. So.
Speaker 2: They've done the whole setup of this movie. Plane crashes. They get the plane fixed. Outsiders that are around the particular camp with Pawpaw and Zima.
Speaker 1: Pops.
Speaker 2: Pops.
Speaker 1: I said Pawpaw.
Speaker 6: What in the country bumpkin was that?
Speaker 2: An outsider spots the plane. What did y'all think from this point?
Speaker 1: When Pawpaw came down, you best be gone. Let me tell you something. You best be gone before Pawpaw gets back. Were those Reapers too? They're all Reapers. Oh, they all are? They're like different sects of Reapers. They talk to one another.
Speaker 4: You know, I thought Pops was part of it because he had that tattoo. He was a bad guy? I didn't know because when they shook hands, they showed his arm and it seemed like they did.
Speaker 1: It on purpose. He had a tattoo. I think it must have been a military tattoo.
Speaker 5: I couldn't tell what it was, but somebody said at the end that he was like a military guy or something, didn't they?
Speaker 1: Bangley was, and I guess he was, too. I said that when they got to the other place. Yeah, that's right. He was.
Speaker 5: I figured the tattoo must have been a military thing. I couldn't see what it was, though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it just seemed suspicious when the Reapers came. It was like, yeah, man, you got some trouble behind you, but don't worry about it. We're going to take care of it. It's all good.
Speaker 1: Oh, you thought he was in on it. Yeah. I thought he was sick. Because he had been coughing. I don't know. He kind of seemed sick.
Speaker 3: And when they put so much emphasis on the handshake, I was like, damn, I wonder if he's like infected or something.
Speaker 1: I didn't catch that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously it didn't turn out to be true, but I was wondering why they put so much emphasis on.
Speaker 1: The handshake and stuff. So, yeah. He had like coughed and then shook his hand. Really? Mm-hmm.
Speaker 6: That's nasty in general.
Speaker 1: It is, man. Pride to everything happening. I was going to spike you to Nick that one day. Pride to everything happening. Did y'all think he should have just stayed there with the girl? Yes. He had a good situation. He was cooking for him and stuff. You know what I'm saying? What are you doing? Where are you going, bro? That bitch shit looked good, bro. It did look good. That shit looked good. She had like the greens and all that. Yeah, she had it all presented all nice. I'm like, bro, did you do that in the apocalypse? And she was really trying to keep him there. She was. Man, she like, look, I'm going to get you sex. I'm going to get you food. They ain't sleeping. We got music. I know, but she was out of sleep. She came over and snuggled up on him. I know. Is this okay? She asking, you freaking said all these? What the hell? And you going to leave? F that. I'm staying, bro. I thought this was what you went out there for. You know what I'm saying? You found the perfect joint. What are you talking about? And dad started being cool, too. Yeah. And she came through with the see-through shirt. Yeah. I'm not going.
Speaker 6: And it's not even cold, bro.
Speaker 1: Nah, I'm not going. Nowhere. I would have fucked that plane. For real, for real. Bro, he should have stayed. For real. You got trouble. You don't even know it. I said, you got trouble, you don't even know it. That head jumped up.
Speaker 2: It was like to get that plane and all of that. So this leads to him fixing the plane. Then we finally get the action of the raid over at Bangley's farm.
Speaker 1: What y'all think about this scene?
Speaker 2: Him spotting all the people out there. Deciding to go Rambo, put his gun up. He's been waiting on this moment his whole life, Spike.
Speaker 6: You know what?
Speaker 1: I ain't even going to shoot y'all. I'm going to stab y'all, all of y'all. He was waiting on the smoke. Oh, my God. Oh, my God, man.
Speaker 4: Did this pay off to y'all? I was like, we back now. The movie back. This is what I want to mourn. And it was so realistic up to a certain point, of course, because he got shot with them arrows.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, man, they're about to take out Bangley. Oh, he had a vest on, though. Yeah, but it still hit him. It still went in. Yeah, because he still had the wounds, etsy wounds, too. But I was like, man, they're about to take out Bangley. So with him being gone, maybe.
Speaker 4: Because I'm like, at this point, they're going to take him out. What's the... Yeah, yeah. But I loved all this. And even when he got overwhelmed, because I'm like, how are you going to beat all these people? But he had almost damn near an answer for everything. climbing up the tower and it made sense how he shot it. But the thing hit the tower and he fell down. And at this point we didn't know if he was alive, but we didn't see it. So we knew he was alive. Um, but nah, he, he got off, man.
Speaker 1: He got off. It was just too many of them. But yeah, I was with it. It's the same word for you, Mike. It, it did, but.
Speaker 5: I can't remember if they said how many years we were into this apocalypse or, But I was just confused about why were they all like.
Speaker 1: Skinheads. Skinhead.
Speaker 5: Remember the Island Boys? Just the Island Boys. Just trying to make it. It's like a whole gang of Island Boys. Why were they all head to toe tatted up like this? It was just weird. And I guess they were trying to make them look crazy. But it's like, bro, in the apocalypse... I don't know that there's going to be a really good tattoo artist that's just like, yeah, let me give you this nice piece. Because it's not like they had a bunch of bullshit. I could see some of the tattoos.
Speaker 6: I'm like, no, that's some good shit.
Speaker 5: But no, it was cool. I just didn't need for all of them to look the same.
Speaker 1: It was just weird.
Speaker 5: If they were all skinheads, fine. It was just the tattoo thing that made it look kind of goofy.
Speaker 2: I could at least use an explanation as to why. If they were all going to look like that. I wanted to know more about Like who that was and what had happened at that specific time.
Speaker 1: Like had they been plotting on it? There was stuff that I wanted to know more about. Plotting on what? Just raiding his farm in general. Oh, yeah, yeah. That's why they kept sending people over there. They just never came back. They were like, well, okay, he protected something. I don't think those two first people were with them. No, they look like a different group. Yeah, and then there was a second two people. Yeah. They might have been with them. I thought they were all together. Maybe the first two.
Speaker 4: Maybe you're right, but yeah, I thought they were all part of the group, and they just kept sending out reconnaissance, and then that's when they all just ended up raiding there at that one spot, because it was like, we sent in two or three, it ain't working, so let's all just go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it did look cool. It did look really cool. Night vision.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and them just running in and immediately going for the refrigerator and just screaming and shit, just breaking stuff.
Speaker 1: You like to run? No, I did. I did.
Speaker 3: It was a nice break or whatever, you know, from what we had seen on old boy's side. But their look kind of gave me like Mad Max feels. You know how that world is and they all look like hella white and have these crazy tattoos and things like that. So that's why I kind of looked at them as like Mad Max type characters.
Speaker 5: It wasn't a black one in there either. And there was probably a thousand of them.
Speaker 1: Not one. Not one. I never realized that. I did.
Speaker 5: I was picking up on it throughout the film. I was like, I don't understand the point they're trying to make. And I thought they were going to eventually find Wakanda or something at the end. And that's where all the black people were.
Speaker 1: I mean they had Native Americans They didn't have They were They might have been.
Speaker 6: White too Just acting like Native Americans.
Speaker 5: Some of them It was blackface Cause they didn't really Look that dark And they were.
Speaker 1: Just Some of them did Like Some of them.
Speaker 5: Did That shit was weird man Yeah This movie was really It's much more to be Ridley Scott Yeah.
Speaker 3: That is That is weird for it To be Ridley Scott Um But um Trying to think of anything Else outside of what they said That stood out About this scene Yeah he got the high ground I did like that Um I kind of figured that he didn't die because it looked like he fell past the building. So I was just like, okay, he fell past the building. But yeah, other than that, no, it was good.
Speaker 1: I low-key thought that, I can't remember his name, Higg.
Speaker 5: I thought he was going to end up coming back at some point and then he was going to go around the back of the building and Buddy was going to be dead back there and he was.
Speaker 1: Going to feel bad. I kind of feel like that would have been better. That's what it was.
Speaker 3: It gave me an Odysseus vibe too.
Speaker 1: He plucks the string before he kills. The fact that he put up the gun and tried to kill him with the knife.
Speaker 3: I thought that was just for silence. I thought he was just trying to make it not equal because it wasn't equal. But he was trying to make it more challenging for himself. Because he could have shot most of them from a distance.
Speaker 1: He could have.
Speaker 5: It would have made noise. I thought he was trying to sneak up and take them out. That's why he put blackface on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I felt like that too.
Speaker 3: It just seemed like it got a He stayed in that mode for too long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they shot his ass. This ain't going to work. Yeah, he got discovered. That's why.
Speaker 4: He was definitely trying to take them out one by one. Because you can take out as many silently as possible. Of course, it starts to even the odds. It just didn't work, which was kind of realistic.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know, you can't see everybody. You definitely can't see behind you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then that takes us to the Higgs, Pops, and Zemi, where their farm also gets raided.
Speaker 1: What did y'all think about this one? This is when the Native Americans showed up. Yeah. Chased them back from the plane. They saw him at the plane. Turn around and walk slowly. I didn't understand this one. He's a slow runner.
Speaker 3: Well, I ain't sure about him running. It was more so them. It seemed like they could have had a better plan of attack.
Speaker 1: Who, the people on the horses?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you had no one by the plane. It's like that you passed by the plane to follow him. There were terrible shots. It just seemed like, I don't know, it just seemed like they were.
Speaker 1: They should have got him. They should have got him, yeah. They didn't see him at first.
Speaker 5: Remember, the pops was saying that he's like, there's a whole group behind you. I don't think they've seen you yet.
Speaker 1: Right? You know what he said? He said it, yeah.
Speaker 5: And then he was like, I don't know why he said to just walk back towards me and don't look back.
Speaker 1: That didn't make no effing sense. Yeah. Run back towards me. Because who cares?
Speaker 6: At this point, if they think you saw them or not, they're going to try to kill you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just don't get it. It's one man.
Speaker 3: I don't understand how all of these people couldn't get one man. Because you could have sent how the Reapers been doing, like two or three, which they did.
Speaker 1: I don't understand the plan here. That's the thing.
Speaker 6: I don't think they had a plan.
Speaker 5: So I don't think that their intention was to raid the farm because I don't think they even knew the farm was there. I think they were just coming up through the field and they saw the plane. So they were looking at the plane and then.
Speaker 1: Pawpaw was like, hey, don't look back. Just walk. No, you remember they had scouts first. They had people come out there. They did have scouts. You're right. That's what I'm saying. You're right.
Speaker 3: I don't understand why they just didn't send somebody to capture them.
Speaker 1: You're right.
Speaker 6: I forgot about those two people.
Speaker 3: And what were they trying to capture them for?
Speaker 1: I didn't get that. I think they were just going to try to kill them, but they didn't raid the farm.
Speaker 5: I don't think they knew what a form was. They were just peeking through the woods at him. So yeah, Rob's right. I forgot about that part. I don't know if they knew how to fly, but I think they wanted to play.
Speaker 1: Racist? I don't think so.
Speaker 4: You know, I think at this point, we've seen the Reapers just converge and not seem to have a real plan. It's just going crazy. I think these were kind of similar. They just had so many people. I mean, look, it's a game with us.
Speaker 1: Do we really need to, you know, send somebody out to go get him? We can all just go get him. It's just one man. So we can just capture him.
Speaker 5: I'm kind of creeping on Rod's side now. Now that he threw that monkey wrench in, it don't really make a whole lot of sense no more.
Speaker 1: Arrogance. So what did they care?
Speaker 5: If they didn't know the farm was there, why did that whole crew of faux Native Americans come after this one dude? It doesn't make any sense. I'm assuming we must have missed something. Because if they knew the farm was there, they would have just went after the farm. Why did that whole crew of them go after this one dude?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it made no sense. And for what? Who cares? Like, let's go kidnap him for what? We can hold him for ransom? There's no government. I just think they were just going to kill him. And then probably, I don't know what they were going to do with the plane. So why didn't they just kill him? Right. Like this big fuss. Yeah, they made a big fuss over this one dude. I'm really confused now. Because one could have just came up while he was sleeping one night and just popped him. With a boulder down. Yeah, that is true. You were sleeping under the plane. Hit him with the tomahawk. It don't make sense. Ooh. They could have done anything. I'm actually confused now.
Speaker 4: I was just more confused by Pops.
Speaker 1: Pops should have been like, hey, man, you need to get on the plane. Yeah, Pops made no damn sense.
Speaker 2: He said, come on back to me. Hurry up and go. They on the way. Go on the start of that motherfucker up and get out of here.
Speaker 1: I didn't think he could take off yet. They had cleared the runway. I think they had turned, and the plane had been turned around at this point. Did they already do that part? Yeah, they ran back to the plane and took off. They went in a circle. Oh, man. Y'all making me not like the movie.
Speaker 4: They went into a circle. So he said, run back towards me. He went through the tunnel. They're all horses. He's running slow as shit.
Speaker 1: He wasn't.
Speaker 6: He was trying to get going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he wasn't running that slow. He wasn't a fast runner.
Speaker 5: Ever since Ken think he can outrun a possum. Ken think everybody else is slow.
Speaker 1: He was running normal.
Speaker 4: Y'all know what fast running is. We saw Odysseus. I mean, or the Odyssey. We saw him running from that island. He was being chased. He's probably just not that athletic.
Speaker 1: I get it. He run like a tall white boy. Yeah, he does. But he was running. Yeah, but they on horses, bro. You better pick up the speed. To your point, Rod, they should have got him. He was ready. He really was trying, man. He was doing his best. He fell and everything. I don't think that was scripted. I think he really fell. He was mad, too, when he got up. God damn it. He fell and everything, bro. Skinned his knee.
Speaker 3: So the only saving grace would be for me is that maybe they did discover the form. Maybe when those other two were scouting out and they saw him traveling back and forth with the girl and Pop and all that, they saw that, okay, they've been discovered at this point. Because it wouldn't make any other sense for them to just come after him. I think they were going for the form and was going to take him out first. Okay, that would make sense.
Speaker 1: They saw both of them. They saw him. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Maybe they were on their way to go take over the farm, and they saw him out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That's the only thing that would fit. Yeah. Okay, I'm back to liking it. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: All right, so they take over the farm. No, I'm just joking. They do the whole one thing on the farm, and they hop on the plane. Did y'all like the plane scene?
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 3: This was intense. I was like, oh, they're really making this a challenge. It's not just a clean getaway.
Speaker 1: He said, we're going to take off at some point, right? He said they were too heavy. I like that whole thing.
Speaker 5: I was like, how are you going to get the.
Speaker 1: One dude off? Because he was going to go right in the cockpit. That's what I'm saying. He probably knew how to fly the plane. Man, she's protecting you and everything. She's protecting you, cooking for you. He found a real one. I was like, golly.
Speaker 4: I was like, damn, this band of Camelot, they done lost their whole damn farm.
Speaker 1: Or he saved their life. Yes. Because they were going to get there anyway. Yeah, at some point. Or his plane might have tipped him off. You never know.
Speaker 6: Because I was thinking that, too.
Speaker 1: Everywhere he goes, he causes problems. Big yellow plane. I know. Big old bright, loud-ass plane. Yeah. Speaking of where he was headed, they have this thing in their head about Grand Junction.
Speaker 6: Oh, God.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: So before we get to Grand Junction, did y'all have thoughts over where they were headed or what they thought?
Speaker 1: What y'all think was going to be there?
Speaker 7: Oh, sorry.
Speaker 1: I keep going. Go ahead. I had no clue. No clue. About what was going to be at Grand Junction. What'd you think was going to be there?
Speaker 4: I didn't know, but I thought the conversation he had with Pops was funny. When he was like, all right, well, what happens if you get there and it ain't what you think it is? He was like, well, I'm going to just flying to the.
Speaker 1: Side of the mountain, and he poured him another shot of liquor. That's crazy. It's crazy. He was like, hey, you need another one of these. It was all sentimental at first. You know what I mean? My wife used to hike there.
Speaker 3: I'm going to crash this bitch inside of the mountain.
Speaker 1: I was like, golly. Yeah. I was like, yo. I was questioning if that's what he meant, though. That's what he meant. He meant it. That's what I thought. Yeah, I think he meant it.
Speaker 5: Because at first I thought that. Then I was like, okay, maybe he meant he was going to land it on the side of the mountain.
Speaker 1: But how the hell do you land a plane on the side of a mountain? It was the way he said it, Mike.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was real somber when he was like, yeah, I'm just going to put my plane on the side of the mountain.
Speaker 1: There's easier ways to kill yourself, man. That sounds real painful. What if you make it? Yeah. You know? And you just jacked up, arm broke, just made it inside the mountain.
Speaker 6: Like, this shit was stupid.
Speaker 1: What'd you think was going to be great?
Speaker 6: Oh, I knew there was not going to be what they thought.
Speaker 5: The first, and I'm talking about the literal first thing I thought, I was like, it's going to be Terminus.
Speaker 6: But you didn't watch Walking Dead. For the Walking Dead fans, it's going to be Terminus.
Speaker 1: Is that what a governor was? No.
Speaker 5: So Terminus was a place that they kept seeing signs. And it said, come to Terminus. There's safety here. And then they were putting out these, what do you call them? Not distress signals, but like radio whatevers that would say, like, if you're a survivor, come to Terminus. And I was like, the way that radio thing was talking, I was like, oh, no. They're going to kill you and eat you. There's no way that this place is cool. so when they were i was like oh yeah yeah that's a wrap and when she said go ahead and move on i was like oh okay maybe i was wrong and then we said no no no you can.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and land so yeah they did they get to grand junction grand junction tell him now we fool about like keep on going and they make a last plea to get in because he knows crazy thing is The person in the theater sitting next to me was from Grand Junction.
Speaker 1: You lying. It was the wildest shit. They said the name of the pancake place. Shut up. I swear to God. Is that real? Yes. That's crazy.
Speaker 2: It was fucking random as hell because right before he said it, right before a dude said it on screen, the dude next to me said the pancake.
Speaker 1: I'm like, what the fuck?
Speaker 2: And the marshmallow like plate thing.
Speaker 1: That's a real thing. That's a real thing. Oh, that place about to be crazy. I thought that was insane. I was like, damn. That's actually kind of dope. Yeah, it was funny.
Speaker 2: But they get there. They do the whole Grand Junction thing. We can talk about the scene in its entirety. From time they get in there to the weird vibe they give off to the fucking bodies hanging in the place in the back. What y'all take about the Grand Junction getting there and what they experienced?
Speaker 4: I love the sort of awareness that Semi showed. She wasn't saying shit.
Speaker 1: She can't drink nothing. Pops was at home, bro. Y'all take a little bit more. He said, leave me something stronger, guys.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, so, if we're seeing how weird these people look, and I guess we realize that old boy picked up.
Speaker 1: On it, too. But, yeah, Simi was on it, and Darlene was on it. They all did to a certain degree. I think.
Speaker 3: I don't think Pops did. I think Pops did, too. I think he just was just enjoying the.
Speaker 1: The pleasure trees or whatever.
Speaker 3: But I think he kind of because he responded too fast when when what's his name?
Speaker 1: Higg did the thing. He was ready. It seemed like he was ready to go.
Speaker 5: That's because that's because Darlene said, you know, to her son, you want to marry him.
Speaker 1: This girl. And then Pops was like, wait a damn minute. Oh, that's when he snapped out of it.
Speaker 5: Now, that part I laughed out loud when she said, what the fuck?
Speaker 3: But yeah, that's when he snapped out of it. That's when he snapped out of it. I knew at some point he was aware that something was going on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was when his daughter was like, yeah, we're going to do this to your daughter. But yeah, he was comfortable. And Darlene just talking. The more sinister she got, the more she talked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that shit was crazy. But he.
Speaker 4: Because I'm like, man, y'all should know, just never drink anything from strangers.
Speaker 1: Especially if they're not drinking with you. Why are you drinking by yourself? But that didn't really go anywhere. Yes, it didn't. Yeah, because I think it really was just liquor. Yeah.
Speaker 4: But, you know, but Sammy was smart. She was like, no, I'm good. And he was smart, too, because I had no idea that's what the fuck he was doing.
Speaker 1: Me either.
Speaker 4: I thought he was poison or I thought it was something in that stuff. He was heaving because of that.
Speaker 1: He was brilliant.
Speaker 6: I didn't know what he was doing.
Speaker 1: He was shaking. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I was like, oh, and then she said, you should thank him for bringing y'all here.
Speaker 1: I thought he was a part of it. Yo, he brought them? Nate Jacobs did the switcheroo? Yeah, that was wild. Man. I know that happened when he jumped out that plane. He said, look at this tall drink of water, boy. We about to eat off him for a couple weeks. Want some food right here. So that's what they was doing, eating the people.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. And yeah, he licked them up. I was on fire when he did that shit because he was like, oh, yeah, can I? Did he ask for more? She just brought the whole thing over there. Yeah.
Speaker 6: That was really, that was a really good scene because I was not expecting it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't know how they were going to get out of it. Me either. Yeah, yeah, that was good. I like how she was talking the whole time she was burnt up. She was so good, man. I wish this was.
Speaker 5: More than 10 minutes worth of movie.
Speaker 2: I feel like we needed more of them somewhere in the movie. I don't know. I just wanted more understanding when I was there.
Speaker 1: Why were they all frozen? Were they brainwashed or something?
Speaker 6: I think that's their way of attack. You can't tell who's who.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty sure there were mannequins or something in there, too. And then they were just like standing still. And then that one started shooting.
Speaker 1: That was dope. That is dope, man. Yeah. Okay.
Speaker 2: See, I would have wanted to know all. I wanted to know the setup for all of it. I'm kind of cool with.
Speaker 1: Being dropped into the world and taken out. Really? Yeah. I think it's. Did you ever see The Road? I don't think so. With Viggo Mortensen? I don't think so. Same kind of thing.
Speaker 5: I won't give any spoilers then. But it was one of my favorite shows. books but yeah they made it into a film and it's basically the same thing they just drop you into a world for two hours and then they just take you right back out they don't explain anything and it's kind of cool that way i like that we got to this place and we like the second they walked in i was like oh nope i was right the first time they're gonna kill y'all because none of this looks normal Why are y'all sitting here acting like it's a casino and y'all just having a good time smoking cigars? Y'all got liquor. Then she comes out dressed like a damn stewardess. Y'all should have got up and left right then.
Speaker 1: Yeah. She's like, was the stewardess always a stewardess, I guess. Yeah. Yeah. They shot their way out of it. And he set that motherfucker on fire.
Speaker 5: We should have lost pops here, though. That's the only issue with this movie. Everybody got away too clean.
Speaker 1: No stakes. There were really no stakes. It wasn't. I feel you.
Speaker 4: I'm kind of glad he made it out.
Speaker 1: We didn't need him after this.
Speaker 6: Or at least let him get shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something. Yeah, everything was clean. I will give you that. Speaking of everything being clean, they leave their graduation. And he bombed the place, the grenades. That was good that they brought them back into play. I didn't like that.
Speaker 5: Because I didn't think it made any damn sense when he told them. He's like, hey, man, I got a bag of grenades. So get up in the air, and if you've got to drop a monster, why would you have to do that?
Speaker 1: We see why.
Speaker 5: But I'm saying, like, what normal situation would you have to fly up in the air and drop a grenade on somebody?
Speaker 1: And why would he be sitting back thinking, you know what? I got these grenades, bro.
Speaker 6: Let me go give these to Higg just in case he has to blow up a building.
Speaker 1: He could have did that to the Reapers, too. Yeah, he's a fatherly protective. That was his way of making up. Maybe he was like, man, if you see them Reapers, bro, just drop a grenade over us. On your way out. Yeah. But, no, it makes sense. He kind of assumed that fatherhood role.
Speaker 4: So he was like, look, I just want to give you as much as possible so you can protect yourself.
Speaker 1: You saw how many guns he had? Yeah, he had a lot of guns.
Speaker 5: He didn't offer him none of them guns. and take these grenades. I mean, the grenade's more effective.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if you're on the, like, it just seemed like a weird convenience.
Speaker 1: It was. You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 5: It's like, hey, just in case you need these, here's a bag of grenades. And he specifically said you have to drop them from, was it two, like, high?
Speaker 1: Don't drop them from too high so it won't blind. That's what it was.
Speaker 5: Don't drop them from too, so he's automatically setting up what we just saw.
Speaker 1: So it's like, you didn't need that. They didn't need to use all of them either. I was like, man, he probably- Was it all of them? No, they just used four. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I thought it was four. Four. Oh, I didn't see that.
Speaker 5: I thought they only dropped two of them. Because I was then wondering why the place looked like that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: What did they have in there that was so flammable? That liquor? That liquor? All that liquor? Because she was burnt up still sipping. Still talking. She was a G. I liked her, man. All right, so they leave there. They go back to the farm and- It was like, we're not going to take a detour by a mountain, are we?
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: That was actually funny. That was funny. They go back to find Bangley, and we all think he's dead.
Speaker 1: We all didn't think he was dead. I thought he was dead.
Speaker 6: I thought he was going to be dead.
Speaker 5: I thought he was going to walk around the back and see him on the ground dead and then feel bad that he left him by himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I didn't expect so much happy-go-lucky. 100%. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The guy from Grand Junction that was sitting next to me in unison, both of us, you're like, what the? When we seen him pop back up. That was too much.
Speaker 1: So he pops back up. You thought it was too much. It was like, come on, man. Really?
Speaker 5: We saw you get popped with two arrows. First of all, you at least 68. You fell off that big ass tower. Dude, I jumped down all three steps and my knee is like.
Speaker 1: Bro, stop. I get out of the car. Facts.
Speaker 5: I got a debate getting up out the bed after sitting on the side for a minute.
Speaker 1: This dude fell out of a tower. He's in shape. And he jumped. What you trying to say, bro? I'm just saying. We not? So Ken, you bought this. I liked it. I liked it.
Speaker 4: We didn't see him die, so, of course, he was dead. But I get, like, we walked around and see him on the ground. That could have had the same impact. But I liked seeing him alive.
Speaker 6: And dancing around with the drinks and his drawers.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I liked this, bro. Get out of here. Right, what'd you think? It's like, why not at this point? Well, yeah. That was true. All right, okay. No, it was cool.
Speaker 3: Like I said, I knew he was still alive because he didn't fall on the– Arsenal or whatever. So I did think they would find him on the ground, like kind of in a survival mode with stuff around him or whatever. But, yeah, so him in the kitchen, it was a little much. But, no, I didn't have a problem with him being alive here.
Speaker 1: He said, yeah. He said, I took out 50-something guys or whatever.
Speaker 2: I counted 38. That was one. He said, you got to give me credit for the pieces. You got to give me credit for the pieces.
Speaker 1: That was a funny-ass one. It was. But then he was talking, man. He was like, well, at least you got this. Oh, yeah. And she popped one of those. He wasn't lying. He wasn't. I'm sorry. That was a little too much.
Speaker 5: Man, I know Papa was mad as shit when- that old lady trying to be a bad guy because he was like, you done found this big tall guy.
Speaker 1: He was like, let me get a little bit. She came out looking all good. He was like, oh, okay. Pull up.
Speaker 2: Let's go. From there, what was the name of the group of people?
Speaker 1: Mennonites. So from there, convince them to go live with the Mennonites.
Speaker 2: We have one more scene where we think maybe Higgs is going to fly into the mountain. Did y'all Did that fool y'all at all? Did y'all think he may take himself out? I already saw them Perkys.
Speaker 1: He ain't killing himself. He ain't leaving him. That would have been super dumb. This I would have liked, though.
Speaker 2: If they had ended it that way, I would have liked this movie a little.
Speaker 1: Better, I think. Because they did get me here. I was like, oh, man, he really about to do it? I thought it. I was like, oh, what? We did all this for nothing. That's what I thought. But, yeah, he, you know. Had to say his goodbyes. Yeah. I like that. Yeah, yeah. It made sense for him to say goodbye. And I like getting the visual of how it would actually went down if he did it, too. Yeah, so.
Speaker 2: And the girl I liked when she was like, don't leave without saying, like, I didn't know if he was coming back.
Speaker 1: I thought that was pretty cool, too. Yeah, that was sad when he was like, hey, man, you want me to go with you? You know? And he was like, nah, man, I got it. He was like, how do we know you're going to come back? And he didn't just say shit. He just closed the door. Just looked at him. Well, that was Dog Stars. Any other thoughts, comments about the movies?
Speaker 6: Well, so.
Speaker 4: Who is supplying that closet with all the medical supplies? That's the question I had.
Speaker 5: I assumed if they're like Mennonites or whatever, they probably don't take medicine the way regular people do. So they probably just had them stocked up in there. Like maybe they raided a town or something and they just put them in that room. Because I think it's Mennonites that don't do medicine, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Well, they did medicine this time. Because I didn't know they were sick. I didn't know the kids were sick. So I guess they were asymptomatic. He was flying into that place getting supplies, remember? Yeah, supplies.
Speaker 4: But so he was, in the beginning of the movie, he was taking the medicine there.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay.
Speaker 2: And I think when the lady mentioned, well, when his girl mentioned it, I think he said he knew a place or they went to find some.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Because she was like, yeah, we need such and such and such.
Speaker 4: You know, she tried to walk back being a doctor, but she knew enough to heal them. So I thought at this point, Yeah, let's just have a complete happy ending. But I just had a question about how, like, at some point they're going to run out of that stuff. So is there a network that's supplying this thing or whatever? Just a small, I don't know if it's a gripe or question I had.
Speaker 1: But I did like Bangley at the end.
Speaker 4: When he's isolated from everywhere and he's just looking up.
Speaker 3: He just kind of, oh shit, just trying to make himself stop, stop enjoying himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he walked down there, arms folded, just kind of walked around. Now they had to go grab a guitar. I did like that. Oh, that was good because he didn't want to go.
Speaker 5: Nah.
Speaker 1: He's like, you ain't going to leave me here with these, what did he say, Mormons? Yeah, he kept calling them Mormons. But yeah, he said, don't leave me with these Mormons. Uh, He said, Mennonites, but you know that.
Speaker 5: He said, I might wake up and they might be trying to convert him.
Speaker 1: And then he told his story, which I guess is his story about how you.
Speaker 4: Know, he was a vet and I guess didn't appreciate life or whatever. And I guess that was his story to kind of convince himself to go ahead and just go. But it made sense to go there because of the way they could secure it a little bit better. So it made sense.
Speaker 5: So why could they secure it a little bit better? I was a little bit lost on that part. I think they had like a perimeter there or something like that.
Speaker 1: And it was.
Speaker 5: It was surrounded by trees. Because he was, remember the guy was saying you can only see it from the sky. And I was like, okay, but what if somebody comes walking through the woods? And y'all ain't got no guns or nothing.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm sure he brought his gun. I mean, the Mennonites didn't have it. I was just wondering how the hell they survived. Survived this long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not sure what the, they had some sort of perimeter. It didn't look like Wong could fight. I think it was just their setup. That's the way they were. Like you said, maybe that many people didn't come that way in the woods.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was kind of a little house on the prayer. They're also sitting on the high ground, too, so I think they can look down.
Speaker 1: Oh, was it? Yeah, you can probably see from a distance. Oh, cool. And now they got, you know, Bangley over there. And they got Bangley Jr.
Speaker 6: They got security now.
Speaker 4: And now I just got to get some guns, because they already know how to make bullets. I didn't realize, Rod, that's probably a good skill to have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 5: Because I was wondering why he picked up the spent casings until he went back in the room.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's smart. Yeah, I need to look that up. And now he's finally getting some ass. So, yeah, man. I think they're all about to get hooked up.
Speaker 6: No, I don't think Mennonites do it.
Speaker 7: Do they?
Speaker 3: All the kids probably have kids all the time.
Speaker 6: They probably don't have kids, but it's just like random ass dudes that show up.
Speaker 1: I mean, they won't be random after a while. That's true. Girl, you know me. You saw they started dancing together. Pop's about to get him one now. Oh, yeah. Pop's that little Asian thing. He said, well, I ain't had an Asian thing in a minute. Boy, he said, you look good too, girl. Come over here. Looking like Lucy Liu.
Speaker 2: Well, that's been our review of the... Movie dog. Was it dog days?
Speaker 1: Dog stars. Dog days? Dog days. Bro. Thank y'all for checking out the Frames for a Second podcast. We are out.
Speaker 4: Peace.
Speaker 5: We didn't even talk about the fact of why it was called dog stars. You'd just be skipping over to hell.
Speaker 1: Why was it called dog stars? Really? Yeah. Remember he would talk to Jasper in the stars?
Speaker 5: And then he was telling the girl he was trying to get when he was like, that's the big Jasper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he said, you just made all the dogs. He was like, those are the right names. Yeah, I thought that was cute. I ain't like that.
Speaker 4: Because I'm like, even when he was talking to the dog, I'm like, bro, you just making all that shit up.
Speaker 1: That shit ain't fucking real. And now all she did was replace the dog. All right, man, review done. They some haters, bro. I like that. Show her his big Jasper later, though.