Speaker 1: Why Rumball, Heart Player and the Crossroads of America. It's Tony Katz today. What in the world is going on with the end? What is going on with the Japanese economy? I mean, I thought they were out of the stagflation. Why are we propping it up. I'm not saying I'm opposed. I just want to understand. Why is this Argentina all over again where we're buying pesos? I mean, we got the money back, so I guess all was good. But is this what we do now? Or is this about something having to do with China? It is about the politics more than it is about the money. But it is costing us money or is it not? You see, that's just it. Everybody wants to say something, but no one actually digs into what is actually going on. Tony Katz, Tony Kats today, good to be with you. Just call me the digger because that's what I'm doing. Doctor Mattwill joins me right now, economist at the University of Indianapolis. We're gonna get to Japan. We're going to talk about what's going on with the yend here. But I want to start where I start, which is our economy and on Friday. I was out on Friday, but happy to be back today. And we take a look at GDP's second quarter GDP and it grew at a rate of one point five percent, not two point one percent that was the first quarter one point five percent. In all of these cases, a number means nothing unless we can analyze why the number is what it is. So you take a look at one point five percent. Economist to Matt Will, what's the story. It's false.
Speaker 2: I will tell you that the number is much higher than one point five percent. And this goes back to the Keynesian flaw and how they calculate GDP. So yeah, let's look at the headline one point five. By the way, the market wasn't phase because the market knows what I know. First of all. One of the reasons it was only one point five is because the government portion of the GDP was reduced. That's a good thing. You and I everyone listening to the show knows that the smaller government is better, So that pulled down GDP. Also, imports pulled it down one and a half percent. Again, a huge flaw with the GDP formula is that it punishes the country for imports, but it ignores foreign direct investment, because those dollars that we spend to buy stuff from overseas flows back into the United States. Exports boosted it by half. That's good. Consumption up half of two points two percent. Investments were up, in fact, fixed investments, you know, equipment and buildings and stuff up one and a half percent. I'm telling you this is this is good underneath the hood. Accept the eyeword. Inflation is still over five percent in the.
Speaker 1: Lifeboord, Let's hold off a little bit and let's get back to this. The argument is that the GDP number of one point five percent is false because we're to a discussion of government is about government spend or government lack of spend.
Speaker 2: Government growth. The growth of government reduces GDP, I mean increases GDP. So when the government is constrained, that causes a GDP to go down. And that's what this report shows. It shows less. You know, we call real versus you know, nominal dollars. So inflation adjusted government spend in the economy it decreased yer point one four percent.
Speaker 1: So when the government is spending, when government is spending. Talking to doctor Mattwill, economists at the University of Indianapolis. When the government is spending, we consider that growth. In the United States, we talk about GDP gross domestic product. Government spending is seen as as growths. So when the government is going on wild spending spreeze, those people who engage the spending can look at the.
Speaker 2: GDP it say see, look how much we're growing. And that's what happened under Biden. That was his primary source. When we looked at the microscopic parts of GDP under by and we saw that almost all the growth in the economy was coming from government growth. Under Trump, it's a completely different picture. Almost all of the growth is coming from private industry. In fact, GDP is subtracting, I mean government is subtracting from GDP. So the formula which John Maynard Kaines wrote back in the forties, and by the way, at the end of his life he actually said, you know what, it's really flawed, but it's the best we've got. And I would agree with him. It's very flawed, but it's the only thing we have at the moment. It ignores a lot of things like import exports, foreign direct investment, so you have to look under the hood. Not all one point five percent are created equal.
Speaker 1: Now let's get to the next which you talked about investments up point five three percent, about half a percent investments into your talking about long lasting goods manufacturing goods, is investments into.
Speaker 2: My four oh one k. What are these investments made up of. Yeah, that's an important point that you're making. This is company investment, private corporate investments in production, manufacturing, including services, so anything that a company is investing to expand their business. So that's we're not talking you and I saving for retirement. This is actual investments made by companies to grow their businesses. And underneath that this half a percent growth, one and a half percent of the GDP was due to fixed investments. That's putting up a facility to build some product that is a long term benefit. That is huge, and we didn't see that under Biden. We've seen that under Trump because he's instituted policies and deregulation that has encouraged this. And you know, we talk about are those other countries around the world investing that's not even in this number. That's foreign direct investment which should be included, which isn't in the GDP calculation.
Speaker 1: Talking to doctor Matt well, economists at the University of Indianapolis. Let's keep breaking this down, understanding our numbers, and one of these is manufacturing. When it comes to the ISM report, which is something you look to keep in high regard, this tells us something. This matters. ISM was fifty three point three. That's up about six percent, which is the six straight increase that we have had. That signals what. Wow.
Speaker 2: It signals wow because that's the private economy. So go back to the GDP that was plus one and a half percent on fixed investments by companies. We have proof it's not just a bogus estimate by the government ISM Private Industry Report. Actual companies calling in saying hey, this is what we're doing. So this is the six month in a row. Inventories are up, production is up. There's these are sub parts of the ISM report. New orders are up. This is fantastic. It's what Trump wanted to do with the terroriffs, but the tariffs actually delayed it. I believe these things would have been up inventories, production, new orders without the tariffs sooner. But the tariffs have been in place for a long time. Now they're they're they're baked into the economy. Not in a good way in some places, like inflation. The only thing in the ISM report that was concerning is employment is flat. But actually, if you consider all the disruption with AI, flat employment right now, that's good because it should be dropping with all the disruption. So the growth is overcompensating for the AI disruption. There's a lot of good things that's report, except double digit inflation for manufacturers, that's right, double digit commodity prices, aluminum copper, It's not good.
Speaker 1: This now leads into what you said, where the problem is, Where the issue is with inflation. We have seen Kevin Walsh, now Chairman of the Federal Reserve twice say we're not changing interest rates. They are not going down this camp please President Trump at all. But we have been I have been very very consistent. I think you have been with me on this. I would never say otherwise. The inflation is here. You've argued that it's baked into everything Wall Street is doing. What somehow is still unfathomable to people is that we accept that this is the way it is. We are there is no aggressive push to bring it down because we discuss policy. So where is inflation right now and what are the competing forces. Well, first of all, I don't agree that we've accepted it. I don't do not accept inflation. And if Wall Street is accepting it, shame on them. But they are. I mean, I'm arguing that they are right. That's the point. I didn't say you and I, sitting on a barstool, are happy with this. This whole thing sucks. To quote Rodney Dangerfield from Caddy Shack, but I do say that Wall Street has absolutely accepted this. They've baked it into the cake. We've discussed this many times. It is not where Midwest main Street is, but it's absolutely in my view outsider looking in where wall Street is.
Speaker 2: Well, let me tell you, I'm gonna pivot a little bit and say, Kevin Walsh is he is doing the right thing. He's announced he's not going to change rates. I'm okay with that. I think the Fed funds rate is where it should be. I think this is a stable rate. And notice Trump didn't scream at him about this because Wall Street's pushing him to increase. He even had some of his governors. Three of his fellow governors voted to increase rates last week, but he refused. He's playing the long game. What he's doing, and people pay attention to this. He is reducing the amount of information flow out of the FED. He set up a special commission to look at the selling of assets off the FED balance sheet. I am convinced that he's going to slowly, behind the scenes, move this giant ship, and he's going to convince his fellow governors once this special Commission does their work to start shedding assets from the balance sheet, sell those assets, pull the cash out of the economy without increasing inflation. He knows how to cut inflation and he's going to do it the right way. I'm confident based on what he's doing right now his strategy that he's going to pull it off patients, and I think even Trump has patience with.
Speaker 1: Him on this. But let's continue on this conversation of inflation in general. Never minds where we are about the market accepting this. The inflation is here. What are the competing forces that are causing it to remain.
Speaker 2: Well, it's still the tariffs, It's still growth of government deficits. Now, we talked about government spending earlier, but the deficits also contribute to this whole phenomenon. Because the FED is forced to monetize the deficits, so we have to cut the deficits. And that's where the FED is between a rock and a hard place, because they don't control the fiscal policy. They only control the monetary policy, so they can control the cash in the economy, but so can the federal government by deficit spending. And that deficit spending is really massive at the moment, and that's a huge issue. That's causing the sustained inflation despite the growth in the economy in the private sector.
Speaker 1: So that's the economy, that's the GDP. But we have to get into the conversation about Japan and the end because this has got some people and I don't even know if it's confused. It's got them bothered like somehow we're doing something very very wrong. But I think most people don't understand what we're doing. We will break that down with doctor Matt Will, economist at the University of Indianapolis. Keep it right here, guys, I'm Tony Katz and this is Tony Katz today. So this whole yen thing with President Trump has got a bunch of people in an uproar. Except I don't know if there's anything to uproar here when you hear about this deal, we're propping up the end or are we buying the yen? Is this like that Argentina deal where we bought pesos and they got dollars and then they did pay us back. So what is the story here? I mean, maybe we should be asking what's up with the Japanese economy? Tony Katz, Tony Katz today, great to be with you talking to doctor Matt Will, economist at the University of Indianapolis. The story out of Japan, which the market doesn't seem to care too much about. Again, the market fascinating. It was just so happy that there's an alleged deal with Iran and the opening the straight of horn moves boom, like the Dow opened and it went over seven hundred in the first hour. I don't know where it's going to close, No one does, but everyone's very, very excited. But this yen story and what's going on with the Japanese economy, now, this seems the kind of stuff that always puts me a bit on edge. At first I thought this was a story much like Argentina and US buying, and then I said, well, this is Japan this is a country that's coming out of thirty plus years of stagflation. I thought they had already come out of it. This does not signal that. And then there's a question whether or not this is an economic move or a political move. Talk to me about what's happening in the Japanese economy. What did they signal to the world, and why did the US come to the rescue.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, there's a lot to unpack here, and I'm gonna put on my professor cap and try to explain it clearly. But you added one thing that I had not thought about, because I'm an economics nerd, the political angle. You are one hundred percent correct. I had not thought about why the US.
Speaker 1: Is doing this.
Speaker 2: It's political. So what's going on here? The US bought yen a significant amount. This takes them out of circulation. So go back to the same discussion we have about inflation and taking dollars out of the economy. The United States government bought yin and took them out of circulation in Japan. So that makes the yen stronger. That reduces their inflation, and that's a good thing for them, but it also makes the yen stronger. Against the bull, which weakens our currency, which is which is a side issue. But it's interesting why we are accepting that. And I got a theory as to why we're accepting that. But it's a little different than Argentina. And let me tell you it's similar, but not exactly. Argentina needed US dollars. They needed US dollars to buy other things, so we gave them US dollars by buying pesos. Japan doesn't need dollars, they just need fewer yen. They've got plenty of US dollars. They needed fewer yen in their economy, and they wanted us to take them out. And I got to give, you know, Scott Bessen and the Treasury Department genius for how they did it. They did it in a way that we've never seen before. And Wall Street got very upset at this. They didn't buy yen with dollars. They bought yen with euros. They took the euros that we hold and we do hold a lot of international currencies, and they bought the yen with that. That totally messed up Wall Street's arbitrage and the speculators and the traders because they didn't want to spend dollars. My theory is that they believe the dollar is a good investment right now because Trump's all about investing. He's all about I'm going to make money here and make money there. And Scott Vessen did a very good pivot and disrupted the markets, and I think it's going to help Japan. But Japan has to get their own house in order.
Speaker 1: Also, Okay, everything you just said makes people want to have a drink. No part of that for the normal person makes any sense. So let's start going back. Why did Japan need us to buy yen and pull yen out of their economy.
Speaker 2: Japan is causing their own inflation and they're asking us for help to bail them out because they're not doing enough domestically. Their own Prime Minister, she's doing a great job in trying to be responsible. She's a good free market capitalist type person. Yes, it's a culture. They have tremendous they have price caps, they have price caps, they have government subsidies across the board for their citizens, and therefore she's having a tough time domestically controlling this monster which is the Japanese government and what they give to their citizens. I know this sounds weird. They also have another problem, this is going to sound very weird. Their people save too much and don't borrow enough. They have one of the highest savings rates in the world and they have one of the lowest borrowing rates in the world. Well, that doesn't encourage people to grow their businesses. And because of the price controls. Okay, I hoping I'm not losing people here. Their CPI is low, but their PPI is seven point one percent. Their producers are experience inflation as bad as ours, and they can't pass it along because of government controls. So she's trying to rein in this government monster. This okay, ready Godzilla in Japan, so that that's not my role, okay. But she needed the US government help, and they reached out and asked us for help. It was a coordinated effort. I'm pretty impressed with how it's going in our cooperation on this.
Speaker 1: So they needed yen out of the economy to thwart the inflation issue, which is because of their own government policies. But they're not about changing the government policies, not changing them fast enough.
Speaker 2: She is trying to change them. She's having great difficulty and you can imagine Trump wants to keep her politically strong. So you added that genius touch there. I didn't think about. There is politics here, and he wants to prop her up. He doesn't want her to suffer. And by the way, she will be punished if she tries to take away some of those goodies.
Speaker 1: And understand that the politics here, you can argue, are within Japan and of itself. But these are politics that are about China and thwarting China and making a strong Pacific rim. And this is about shipping lanes and the Taiwan Straight and the Yellow Sea in the South China Sea. This is about navigable seas. This is about hegemonic power. There's a lot here. And Sonai Takaichi, the Prime minister that we're talking about, has been very very westward looking and forward looking with President Trump wanting that alliance because she knows if Taiwan goes, everything is up for grabs. She's nobody's cool talking to doctor Matt Will, economist at the University of Indianapolis. So let's now go back to what happened here. We end up buying yen to pull yen out of the system, and we pay them in euros that we're holding. What the hell do they do with the euro? What gets weird is I don't care if you give me a pound of gold, or you give me the equivalent in dollars, or you give me the the equivalents in platinum. The money is still there, so it's not necessarily pulled out. All you did is go from a liquid to a solid to a gas man. You changed its form, but you didn't change the thing.
Speaker 2: Ah, but Japanese citizens don't pay for stuff in euros. They pay for stuff in yen. So to quote you know one of our favorite politicians, you put it in the lock box in the corner of Tokyo and nobody touches it. So the euros are in the lock box and no one's touching them, so it's not causing the inflation. I got to go back and just say, told don did you just quote Al Gore on this show?
Speaker 1: You got the reference? Yes, gosh, guys, I want to apologize to everybody. I try to vet the people on this show to the best of my ability, doctor Wils quoting Al Gore, My goodness, gracious sir, but continue please, Well.
Speaker 2: But your analysis I was doing the I can explain what. I understand what occurred. The mechanics. I can even go into what we call a cash and carry trade and an arbitrage yen dollar rates. But you said the political. Now I understand why the why was missing.
Speaker 1: You know, all the.
Speaker 2: Financial press this morning are going over the top looking at this, crunching the numbers, saying this is this is interesting. But that's the why. The why is the politics because he needs Trump needs her in that place for the whole China's situation, and because it actually makes a dollar stronger or weaker. I mean, this is he's going against his own thing. By the way, you know how he can solve the problem with China much or with Japan much easier. Eliminate the tariffs. Eliminate the terriffs. It's causing their exports to cost more. If he would just eliminate the tariffs, that would have a huge benefit for Japan. So why don't we just eliminate the tariffs.
Speaker 1: He's not going to do this on any level. So here we are. We just bought this currency, so this is different. Talking to Dr Matt Well, economists at the University of Indianapolis, and by the way, you and getting rid of all the tariffs, and as you know, I'm not a tariff guy. We buy this currency. It doesn't hurt us. I mean it does if you want to argue, weaken the dollar, which would be Trump going against his own desires. But he sees a bigger long term value. And now we hold on to this yend like we held on to the Euro. It doesn't change anything. Is that how it's different than the Argentina deal.
Speaker 2: Yes, the Argentina deal was a swap. We knew that we were buying pesos and we knew that we were going to sell them back. That was a you know, a swap is literally that Japan had access to what's called a repo. A repo is like a swap. It's an overnight where you sell your currency and buy it back. They didn't want that. They want it taken off the market, not forever, but for the foreseeable future. And so yeah, we own the euros. They're sitting you know, in electronic form in banking, you know, New York or d C. And they'll just sit there until we decide we want to get rid of them.
Speaker 1: So now we get into the next steps here. What happens in the Japanese economy or what should we be looking for? What are the markers in the Japanese economy to see whether or not this has provided them value? And is there something we need to be looking at it to see whether or not it has done us harm?
Speaker 2: Okay, I could not have answered that until you mentioned the political angle. Now I get it. So this is what I think is going to happen. I think it gives the Prime Minister cover. I think it allows her to go to her you know whatever they call their you know Congress in Japan. I'm not familiar with that, and say, look, I've got Trump on my side. They're supporting us. Look what they did with buying yen. They've been very beneficial. Now, you guys, if you want me to keep getting my friend Trump to help us, you have to start helping me change some things in our economy. I think she's going to be able to use it as leverage to improve the elimination of the subes. I mean, I won't bore you with the details, but things like rice. It's amazing how much subsidy goes into the rice farms in Japan, so much so that there are blocks in Tokyo of rice farms. The most densely populated city in the world and they have rice farms because of the subsidies make it so financially advantageous. I think she's going to be able to slowly change the policies, get people in the country on board, and I think she's using Trump's aid as a tool to make that happen. So kudos for her. I think she's doing a pretty good job in trying to use this for domestic gain.
Speaker 1: By the way, in Japan they have a bicameral system that comes based modeled after our system after the emperor. Just as I only know little things here and there, doctor Well, it's one of the weird things that I know, Doctor Matt Will, economist at the University of Indianapolis. I appreciate you taking the time to be with us. There's much more show to get to keep it here. I'm Tony Katz. This is Tony Katz today.