Speaker 1: Well, I love Jonathan. I mean he's he's I'm really proud of the leader that he's become on our team, and he's one of our pillars. His pictures on the stadium for a reason, and I would love it if he would be a cult for life.
Speaker 2: Carly ERSA.
Speaker 3: Gordon a little bit earlier today at Coach Camp drop light in Westfield at Grant Park.
Speaker 2: I'll be up there on the twentieth.
Speaker 3: And here's what's interesting right now, I'm going to get to the comment regarding Jonathan Taylor and his mood, which is kind of interesting too. We'll get to that coming up at a minute. But I know, Caleb, you said our next guest is going to be in town when next week's week? Yeah, so he's in Maryland. That's his home base is in Maryland. Correct, Virginia close on ID you eastern seaboard. Here's what's funny about it. His ass is going to be there before mine.
Speaker 2: I'm about that.
Speaker 3: I don't get up there until August the twentieth. On the Anymore Automotive Group potline. The first time he's been on with me. He's been on here a multitude of times throughout the station, but in the afternoon. I know Derek Schultz, his partner on Locked on Colts more than occasionally has had him on. Zach Hicks from Locked on Colts kind enough to join us now again on the Andy Moore Automotive Group potline. So you're gonna beat me here to camp coming from Virginia. That's not good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, we got to get out there. We got to get you out there a little bit earlier, man. But now it's all good. As long as you get to see a couple practices, then I think there's no issue with it.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: You need a couple to really get a feel for things.
Speaker 2: Oh, it'll be great. They love yeah, they love it. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Chris will come sit right next to him and we'll have some dialogue for a while. We'll be thoroughly enjoying that moment. I'm sure, Zach. But you're getting here next week. I think you guys do a great job. You and Jake do a great job on breaking things down. I want to start right here and then get off to some of the points I know you've made in the past. I mention the attitude if you will right now, Jonathan Taylor. Jonathan Taylor looks like a dude that's coming to an end of the contract that believes that it's not going to be the end of his deal, that something is in the works here.
Speaker 2: Is that how it feels to you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it definitely does.
Speaker 4: I mean we it's kind of funny because we have the experience of a couple of years ago, right where like all of that drama that we had with it coming into twenty twenty three, the culture coming off such a rough season and their star running back was wanting a new contract and it was just a weird spot that everybody was in and it was pretty played throughout the media and played throughout everything about all of camp, and it took a while to get that contract done. So there was speculation throughout, you know, all media spheres this offseason, like could we see another Jonathan Taylor hold out? He's done it in the past, it worked for him in the past, and now he's coming off like the most productive season he's had since twenty twenty one, and you know, he would have been in his right kind of to hold out and want more money for you know, for lack of a better term there. But yeah, it looks great like he's out there he's smiling, he's practicing. It looks like he's really happy with where he's at. He's talked about it, and Chris Ballard's talked about it, and Carli Er Sir Gordon's talked about it that they feel good with the direction.
Speaker 5: Everything's going with it.
Speaker 4: So it does seem like there have been some really good conversations behind the scenes about them progressing towards potentially a new deal and hopefully getting that done. So definitely a much better place than what it was last time we had these conversations where there was like trade request and all these things going out there publicly. Now it feels like everyone's back to business, which is especially cool because like we're seeing running backs across the league holding in right now, right like Bijon Robinson, Jamiir Gibbs, and it's a popular thing and Taylor seems to be in a good place right now, so it's great to see.
Speaker 5: It's great for everyone.
Speaker 4: It's great for the fans because nobody likes, you know, seeing that stuff throughout the off season. So really good sign for the Colts going forward.
Speaker 3: What do you make of the major power moves being now executed by running backs right because it wasn't so long ago when it was just more than an afterthought than anything else.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think if you're looking at purely from the player perspective, I mean, these guys their bodies, most of them, most of them, not all of them. Right, Derek Henry is still going strong and he could probably keep playing until he's fifty at this point, but most of these running backs their bodies break down kind of in the like late twenties, early thirties. So really the first contract they're gonna get, like the first big contract after the rookie deal, could be like their only big contract in the league.
Speaker 5: And we saw it in the past where.
Speaker 4: Like Le'Veon Bell for instance, tried to make that stand kind of by himself, like he tried to be the you know, doing the big holdout thing and trying to fight for more money, and it kind of backfired. So you really need like groups of guys to come together and kind of work on it together to like earn that higher pay. And I have no doubt that, you know, Robinson and Gibbs will certainly get more than the expected just because they are kind of standing in it together like that.
Speaker 5: So I think it's good for the guys.
Speaker 4: I mean, people can argue if it's smart for the teams and whatnot with positional value, but it's really their only chance to get their one big contract, whereas like quarterbacks are going to get multiple big contracts. You're going to see receivers getting two big contracts in the league, linemen getting two big contracts. So running backs you really just get the one. So I mean it makes sense personally to really maximize your value on that one contract.
Speaker 3: Does the market itself at that position now justify it more than it did, for examples, at five or so years ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's interesting because if you look at it, like five years ago, we started to see this huge trend in the NFL where everything was becoming so pass first, right defenses were getting eviscerated. Like when Pat Mahomes came home the scene like five six years ago, he threw for what fifty touchdowns five thousand yards and that was kind of the norm.
Speaker 5: You know, there was all these like huge.
Speaker 4: Passing totals and running backs becoming like these auxiliary positions just to filter out the side stuff with quarterbacks. But in the last couple of years we've seen this trend towards like under center football play. We're seeing more running of the football, more twelve and thirteen personnel, like tight ends on the field, and we're seeing like the value of running back kind.
Speaker 5: Of creep up a little bit more.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's not what it was like in the early two thousands, right where like the Shawn Alexanders and Edge and all them, like we're really dominant and you want to pay those guys and really get them going. But it definitely seems like running back value is in a better place right now than what it was like five six years ago, and teams are seeing the value. I mean, look, the Chiefs went out there and paid big money to a free agent running back this offseason, and they've always kind of been at the forefront of a lot of things.
Speaker 5: So I think it's good.
Speaker 4: For running backs, you know, I think their value is starting to come back a little bit where teams are seeing value of like, hey, maybe you don't want to give them that third contract, but getting that running back on that second contract and throughout their rookie deal can be a lot of value for your offense.
Speaker 5: So it's good.
Speaker 4: I mean, especially you know, growing up and running backs were so vital. It was kind of sad seeing them go out of flavor there for a little bit.
Speaker 5: And now we're.
Speaker 4: Seeing the league trying to get back to run the football a little bit more so as like a football purist, you know, it's it's kind of fun seeing it.
Speaker 3: You know, it's funny as a football purist too, and a long time enjoyer like me and even older I'm assuming a lot older than you. I remember there a time when you know, the running back was on the level of the quarterback in terms of interest, and like like the Walter Payton's of the world. You had Walter Payton obviously oversettled everybody in Chicago, but Tony dors said in Dallas was much much greater when he got into the league, over Roger Staubach. I mean, it was just interesting, you know, frank O, Harris, Terry Bradshaw, that dynamic had always been very tight. If there was a race of sorts back then, and it kind of to me seems like that that position is growing in interest now. Wow, certainly more than just being well, we'll just kick the tires on somebody right here.
Speaker 2: We don't really care who is back there.
Speaker 3: It seems like there's more interest and more of a focus on that position now than there has been in recent history.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, for sure. I mean when you look back in like the eighties and nineties and especially before that too, how often we're running back going like first overall right in the draft, Like running backs are going very high in the draft. And now, you know, we get all the analytics saying like, oh man, if you take a running back top ten, they better be super good because they're getting paid so much, and there is a push and pull to that, Like, at the end of the day, quarterback right now is such a valuable position. Like I don't think there's a more valuable position in any sport than quarterback, right And I don't think running back or any of these positions are really going to close the ground.
Speaker 5: Too much on that.
Speaker 4: But I do think we have seen a resurgence of running back a little bit more where maybe it's not to the level of quarterback, but maybe it's getting closer to the level of like a top receiver or a top tackle or something. Again, rather than just being this complete after thought that it was from like twenty ten to like twenty twenty, where running backs were being completely just thrown aside, and it was like, well, the second we have to pay them, let's go get another cheap one because they can.
Speaker 5: Just replicate the value we need.
Speaker 4: Whereas now we're seeing the difference. Like I mean, like the Colts last year, they were a pass first offense early in games. Like don't get me wrong, but the reason why we saw these point totals balloon so much in the second half of games is because they were feeding Jonathan Taylor and they were boasting one of the best rushing offenses that we had seen in recent history. And it's not like they had a quarterback also running the ball like Jones had some rushing touchdowns in there, but so much of it was Taylor being dominant right, Like they weren't really distributing the carries to anybody else like we've seen from other great rushing offenses like with Lamar Jackson and Baltimore, or like Jalen Hurts and Philly. So having that great running back can be the difference between you know, a great start and looking good or you know, being one of the worst teams in the league sometimes, especially if you're in the Colts like last year. So Alter recognizing that and That's why I think they're treating Taylor well. Hopefully he can continue staying healthy going forward, because it is risky paying a running back a third time. But outliers exist, and Taylor's about to break all the franchise rushing records, so you can certainly call him an outlier. So keeping happy, keeping going, and hopefully his Colts offense can get back on track.
Speaker 3: Loaded with content, it is Locked On Colts the podcast, along with Jake Arthur, Derek Schultz, Alan Pinkett, the former Notre Dame, Fighting Irish, and Nfler among others a part of that too, and they update things on a daily basis. Zach Hicks joins us from Locked On Colts on the Anymore Automotive Group podline. Are you a believer in what they have personnel wise right now with this group or are you of the belief that the reason why we're here is because of that Sauce Gardner trade deadline deal of a year ago.
Speaker 5: I firmly believe even Carly ERSA.
Speaker 4: Gordon looking at the first half of last season and saying we can get back to what we showed early last season, like I do think when you look.
Speaker 5: At how they were successful, how they.
Speaker 4: Were winning, and I mean even in some of their losses and when they played better teams like that Rams game, we all agree probably should have been a win if it weren't for a couple of costly mistakes, Like they were playing really good football. I don't think that this is like Carly saying like, Okay, we need to bring back Ballard because we don't want to straddle a new GM without a first round pick. I think she does believe in what they showed early last season. It's just going to be on a very short leach because having the end of the season they had, even with you know, the quarterback issues, and we've already talked about how valuable quarterback is. You just can't have losing streaks like that, Like they really needed like one maybe two wins down the stretch to get in the playoffs, and they couldn't even muster that out with the guys that they had. So I like what she said today where it's like, look, the mantra this year is find a way.
Speaker 5: Things get tough.
Speaker 4: You lose games, but you lose players, but you've got to find a way to get those wins and get into the playoffs. So I do think that like a big part of bringing back everything and believing in this year is buying that first half of last season.
Speaker 5: Now we'll see if it can materialize.
Speaker 4: They're really banking on a bunch of older players who are coming off some injury concerns, and that's certainly scary in the face of the NFL. But I do believe that a lot of this faith to run it back one more time is like, Hey, what we were doing early.
Speaker 5: Last season was working.
Speaker 4: There was a lot of goods in that and basically when we started losing games, we didn't have our quarterbacks, so some of the turnover luck one against us, and like, let's see how real that first half was, and if they missed the playoffs again this year, then you'll.
Speaker 5: Have your answer.
Speaker 4: So I do think that was a firm belief in this unit, but the belief will run out if they missed the playoffs yet again. So yeah, I think Carley certainly believes in what they were doing, but it's going to be a bit of a shorter reach this year than what it was last year.
Speaker 3: So Zach, I'm on the other side of that. I think that their decision making was really pared down and compromise because.
Speaker 2: Of that deal.
Speaker 3: And while I'm cool with the deal because you saw something that was being created in the first part of that season, and then obviously the injuries to significant players Daniel Jones certainly compromise the remainder of the season. I think if they were to have first round options after this past season, that maybe, to me, honestly, I think they would be going in a different direction. So I I think you kind of have to put on that face right now because you're soaking in it, you know what I mean, because you really didn't have leverage nor options to deal with to change things up, So you have to believe and hopefully it works out. But I think you have to, more than anything else, believe in this product the way that it is right now because really adjusting things. It was compromised after that trade deadline deal with no first rounders, and you really had nowhere else to go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I do agree to to a certain degree there where it's like, once you make that move, you are showing that belief.
Speaker 5: In the process there.
Speaker 4: I think that's what made it kind of more even more devastating in the second half of the year, when your starter goes down with the torn achilles, Your backup was already injured in a flute in a freaky injury pre game. Your third string quarterback was dealing with a bit of an injury. So you just made this huge, like franchise altering move for a young, former All Pro corner, and you traded two first round picks, expecting at least the first year of that to be in the playoffs. And you can't even manage the one more win down the stretch because you're down to a quarterback who's been retired for years to come out here and start games for you, because it was either him or Camford Riley Leonard or the set again I think was on the roster at that point at quarterback, Like it wasn't going to be great down the stretch. So do I understand what you're saying where it's like they kind of made their own dead when they made that trade and you kind of have.
Speaker 5: To commit to it this year. But part of me thinks, like, you make that trade because.
Speaker 4: You are so bought in that first half of last year, so to fall off of it so much because Philip Rivers.
Speaker 5: Couldn't win you a couple of games or Jones couldn't win you a couple of games.
Speaker 4: With a broken leg, Like, I don't know if they would have fallen that far off, but I totally see your opinion with that, where it's like, yeah, I mean they kind of made their bed with this.
Speaker 5: I don't know what the right answer was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what, Zach, I don't go too over the top. And here's why, because I was down with it. I'm okay with the win now mentality because they've basically had a win never mentality.
Speaker 2: And right like, the win now are running it back.
Speaker 3: And I say that about the Pacers because we're going to deal with that this year. There is a basis of results that we have seen that would I think define why you have Kevin Pritchard and Chad Muchannan wanting to run this core group back with the Pacers.
Speaker 2: But with the Colts it's not that way.
Speaker 3: Because you know, you go all in and then you had that injury and you're screwed for the remainder of the season. I get why you want to win right now because the results at that level it's been few and far between, and it's just kind of the same old, same old for the fans, So I don't go completely over the top on that. I just kind of think they're in a situation in which they created because they had belief, and maybe it wasn't misguided because of the way the offense specifically was playing. But again, you didn't have the optionality there at all because of the lack of first round deals or I should say, first round selections that you had.
Speaker 2: Thus you're right here.
Speaker 3: But again I understood it at the time, and I still understand it right now. You just kind of soak into the situation itself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I will say, like, if you had the belief in Jones and the offense early last season, I don't think anything about the second half of the year lessens the belief in Jones outside of the fact that he's coming off the Achilles injury now, right, because it's not like he threw like twenty picks in like you know, those games and he was just the worst quarterback in the league. He was hurt, you know, and even in like the Texans game for instance, like he was she had one of the better performances against the Texans defenses than any quarterback in the league last year. Now, it wasn't a great game, but nobody played well against Texans, so it was kind of it was kind of a weird situation for the Colts, and you know, as a fan, you kind of think about it in your brain. It's like, of course this would happened to the Colts, right, you make this big move, going all in, everything's going great, and then of course, like you could survive any other injury maybe except for the quarterback, and the quarterback goes down.
Speaker 5: So you know, if.
Speaker 4: They're feeling good about the Jones Achilles injury, I mean, the thing is they have to feel good.
Speaker 5: About it though, right, like you said, they made their bet.
Speaker 4: You have to feel good about it, Like even if he was not recovering well, you put yourself in a situation where you had to feel good about it. So we'll see when the bullets start flying this year, that'll be the ultimate test.
Speaker 5: But I do think like come the.
Speaker 4: End of this season, I know a lot of people have said, Okay, Carlo said Gordon didn't make him the last offseason, what's to say that she's going to after this year.
Speaker 5: I do think.
Speaker 4: That it really is now or never for Ballad and psych in this year. I really think they need to win this year, or they will make some changes even without the first round pick, because you just don't have any excuses at that point.
Speaker 3: Zach Hicks have lockdown colts on the Anymore Automotive Group potline. Is it weird to you that there's still holes in this roster? And I think holes that.
Speaker 2: Everybody can see.
Speaker 3: But they sit on this pile of cash and they really haven't done. And I know the contractual of a lot of situations as to why maybe free agent players, you know, don't want to get up off the couch right now and start in training camp. But are you surprised that, for example, they haven't necessarily significantly addressed something like wide receiver to this point considering how much money they have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a wide receiver, I'm not terribly concerned about, because I do think you're in a situation, especially with Shane Stiken's relationship with Keenan Allen for instance, like that goes back years. I think you're in a situation where you can see what somebody these other guys have and then if it's just not good enough, then you kind of have like he and Allen, he doesn't want to sign it early in the training camp he does not want to go through the full training camp at this point in his career, so I think that he's going to be on speed dial going forward.
Speaker 5: But I think it really comes to my mind.
Speaker 4: With like edge right because even though the Chris Ballen them haven't one explicitly said that they were getting all their eggs in the basket for Trey Hendrickson, it was clear to everyone that that was who they were going for. They wanted Trey Hendrickson, they put so much into recruiting him here, and then if it weren't for Baltimore's like last ditch whatever they did with Crosby and Hendrickson, then Hendrickson maybe would be here right now. And I understand swinging big there, but when you.
Speaker 5: Don't hit on it, I don't know how the backup.
Speaker 4: Plan is just two day three rookies, you know, is like that's okay, Now we have our six edge rushers. And it's like you were kind of already acknowledging by going after Hendrickson that you needed a big push. And I know the free agent class wasn't as great at that point, but there.
Speaker 6: Were still guys out there.
Speaker 5: There's still guys out there now.
Speaker 4: I just I don't understand the having like just adding two.
Speaker 5: Day three rookies and being like we're good, and.
Speaker 4: Then Ballard always talking about like Kayden Curry they're super high on. I'm like, look, if you were super high on, you wouldn't have taken him in round six. You have taken them earlier than that, So come on, like, you can't sell this when you were trying to go get Hendrickson. So I think that one's the toughest one for me. And that's kind of always been one of my complaints with Chris Ballad is just like he has such a belief in like the internal process and the guys they have here, but we don't have the results to back that up, you know. And you can even say the same thing about receiver, right, like maybe you want to see a little bit of what dueling and Treadwell and Westbrook a Kina can do before signing an Allen. But these guys have been in the league for long enough to we kind of know what they are.
Speaker 7: Like.
Speaker 4: They're not going to be superstar like starting receivers, right, so why not make a move earlier? So yeah, I understand the concerns and the complaints with that stuff. Rusher is just the one I can't wrap my head around because like, if you really were going for Hendrickson, how how can the not getting him solution just be well, everyone moves up one and that we add these two rookies into the.
Speaker 3: Mix, like such an all or nothing philosophy right there, I would see it really is.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah it was.
Speaker 4: And Hendrickson signed later in the free agency, right so I understand that it put you a little bit of a buying like some of the other top edge rushers weren't still available at that point, but there were still other guys out there. And that's why I was so against drafting two edge rushers. I was like, because then you're going to want to keep both of them. And now you're up to six edge rushers on the team, and typically you keep six, you don't keep seven, So where are you adding another edge ruster.
Speaker 5: It's just a weird spot.
Speaker 4: And now so much of it is like we need Jalen Tumaloau, who barely played last year, to take a big step. We need Arden Key, who has been, you know, a fine rotational guy for nine years, to be something he's never been. You know, it's a big it's a big ask of these guys. So we'll see if that pays off. But if I have pessimism anywhere, certainly they are at that other edge rusher position because I mean they kind of said what they thought about it when they went for Hendredston.
Speaker 3: It's almost like Zach, that they believe in the secondary is so no pun intended here locked down that they can afford maybe not to have the maybe have what their normal pass rush is. And philosophically speaking, in the NFL or really any forms of football, it's almost like, and I've described in this fashion best ackwards defensively, you know, when you're looking for the playmaking ability and you're stacked in the secondary, but your faulty or you have the huge question marks upfront off the edge, it is a backwards scenario compared.
Speaker 2: To what you normally know. Do you believe at all in that?
Speaker 3: And it kind of seems like that that's just again much like this team where they are with it because they were forced into this position.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do think it is a and debate we've see in amongst a lot of football minds, like what is more valuable coverage or pass rush? And can you even separate the two, right, because they have this symbiotic relationship where they have to work off each other.
Speaker 5: So I understand where.
Speaker 4: People come with that, and I'm not exactly sure where I fall, Like I think gone in my head, I'd prefer to have the better pass rush than coverage because so much is built up front. But I think you can find success by having great coverage and having a pass rush by committee, right, Like, if you have such great coverage corners and secondary, you can blick a little bit more and get the ball out of quarterback's hands and maybe that can be your mode to success. But I do agree with you where it's like it does feel a little backwards, especially when the secondary that we're banking on, and look, I want this secondary to be awesome, I think on paper, Like, if you're just looking at it on paper, it can be the best secondary the Colts had had in a long long time.
Speaker 5: But let's be real about it. Saus Gardner missed half of last.
Speaker 4: Season with an injury, and he's probably the one we feel best about injury wise, right because Dustin Wally missed the entirety of last season with an injury and Moody Ward is coming off, I mean a really rough season with the concussions, and who knows what his effectiveness is going to be.
Speaker 5: You could even go to the.
Speaker 4: Fourth corner Cam Taylor Britt missed the last half of last year with lisz Frank injury, you know, and all these guys are expected to, you know, feel pretty big roles or come in and start, and you're the situation where they were last year where it's like you feel great about corner, but then once the injuries piled up, Xavier and Howard was starting games for you, and then you don't feel good about corner with the questions you had on the defensive line already. So I'm not sure there's ever a great solution to combating injuries, right because you can't build a roster of fifty three starters.
Speaker 5: It's just not feasible in this league.
Speaker 4: But I do think that putting all your eggs in the secondary basket's going to carry your defense when you have major questions about injuries, and heck, we haven't even talked about like Buckner's injury up front and and other injuries like that.
Speaker 5: It's concerning which.
Speaker 3: I'd have to keep you on here for a couple of hours, I think to address everything, you know what I mean right right, Like.
Speaker 4: If they could stay healthy this year, they can be a really good team. But the injury questions are such a big looming cloud right now. That is it's so concerning.
Speaker 3: Before I'll let you go, do you recollect any point in time when the philosophy that we're talking about right here that they have to go with with the secondary, you know, being the overriding playmaking factor over the edge rushing up front, where that worked out?
Speaker 2: Does anything come to mind to you?
Speaker 4: I would say the Vikings defense the last few years has been a little bit more like resource heavy into secondary and more so than like like they've never had like a huge, great pass rusher like they had Grenard. I think the last couple years is pretty good, but they didn't have like that dominant force. They let the Neil Hunter walk and they were putting more resource in the secondary. But he's chaotic with Howie Blitz is there right, he brings six man rushes all the time, Ryan Forrez, So like, I think you can find success that way. It's just the easier mode to success obviously is having those studs up front, so it's tougher but I think there is a way.
Speaker 5: It's just not the most repeatable way.
Speaker 2: All right, lockdown, Colts.
Speaker 3: You guys are constantly turning out the content for everybody.
Speaker 2: Tell the folks out there about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Locked On Colt's our daily show that Jake Arthur and I host. It's always great having Jake as the co host there because he's at practice every day giving us all the infos. So if you guys want a daily show that gives you breakdowns on every single practice again, for better or for worse, you know, you can learn a little bit from practice, maybe not as much as we play it up, but it is good to hear the information there for sure. So Jake gives us there, and we're actually about to record right after we jump off here, so that'll be up a little after five today.
Speaker 2: Well done, Pal.
Speaker 3: We'll do this again sometime, and when you're in and around Indy, you'll have to come out to a live show and I'll get you all hammer locked while you're talking too.
Speaker 2: That'll be even better.
Speaker 3: All right, sides the Zach, Thanks Pal, Zach cakes right there, I've locked on Colts. He was a little skeptical about answering that one. I think, what do you think the bad influence in me always it always prevails, though I feel really confident my bad influence technique will prevail. Joining us now on the Andy Moore Automotive Group Hotlines staked out in Portland, Oregon, rating for the Fever and the Fire. Later on tonight ten o'clock is that tip time, along with Pat Mooylan. Debbie Antonelle, one of my favorites, joins us now.
Speaker 2: Debbie, thank you for the time. How are you.
Speaker 5: Hey, man?
Speaker 8: Listen?
Speaker 5: Thanks for inviting me back.
Speaker 6: I'm so glad to be here, and thank you for your nice words.
Speaker 3: I love to see I'm the biggest basketball fan probably outside of yourself, that you're going to find out here. And I love I love how you break down the game. And I've been really interested to hear what you thought about Tuesday night because even though you've got to Seattle team that's not very good and record wise not good at all, it looked like a situation they had a red hot player, the Fever got up big and saw their lead get paired intwo and then came back in one. And you had again noa Leah Boston for significant portions of the game. But both your star players as well, and Caitlin Clark and Kelsey Mitchell were outstanding. Was that this team, in your estimation, hitting their stride right now?
Speaker 8: What a character building moment once again inside the game, you know, to face some adversity and to bounce back. It is such an entertaining and exciting backcourt to watch. You just don't know what they're gonna do except score on everybody. I mean, we are so talented on the offensive end, and Stephanie White will always start with defense, which most coaches do. But yes, I do think we are hitting our stride. I think we have come together. There's no question there's chemistry and they're playing better on the defensive end.
Speaker 3: Defensive end, fouling too much and turnovers. Those are the three main issues so far this season from your vantage point, Are they improving on those factors?
Speaker 8: You know, we've been trying to track the number of quarters that they keep the other team off the free throw line.
Speaker 4: It is definitely a factor and we are winning that category.
Speaker 8: And here's part of the reason why we are doing a better job of staying between our player and the basket. We are guarding the ball better, not just the action and those are important defensive concepts. On the other side, our offense puts so much pressure on the other team's defense because of the pace that.
Speaker 5: We play with.
Speaker 8: We are constantly putting you in at a deficit defensively because we do these habits over and over. John, we run the floor hard, We run to the deep corner. That flattens out the defense. It opens up the top of the floor and when you open I'm at the top of the floor in the middle third. That's when Caitlin, Kelsey and Aliyah are absolutely going to crucify you in those spots on the.
Speaker 2: Floor because they can score.
Speaker 8: They will always make the defense wrong in those situations.
Speaker 3: W Antonelli got the fever and the fire later on tonight, she and Pat Boyling on Channel thirteen WTHR.
Speaker 2: I believe coming up.
Speaker 3: Later on tonight as well, and this isn't an interesting dynamic because you're in Portland.
Speaker 2: But I can't help myself and this is just a fan in me.
Speaker 3: You kind of look ahead a little bit if you're the fan coming up on Sunday in Minnesota against the Links at one o'clock. Obviously this team is not going to overlook it. But what do you see in the fire that the Fever really have to try to stamp out, so to speak, coming up later on tonight in Portland.
Speaker 6: Well, you're right.
Speaker 8: I mean, we haven't played Minnesota yet, and you don't want to look ahead, and we do have three games to play with Minnesota, which are going to be incredible benchmarks.
Speaker 6: For this team.
Speaker 8: But I don't think this is a group that's going to be sleeping on anybody, certainly not every rep. And the way they attack reps in practice yesterday, the way that they prepared to shoot around today, I don't think there's any sleeping on Portland at all. In Portland presents some different challenges.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 8: Remember we came out here earlier in the year at end of May and got our doors blown off.
Speaker 6: It's the worst game of the season.
Speaker 8: And I think the Fever remember that, and you just don't know what little pieces of what happened in that previous event and game carryovers coming back this time and really wanted to show what you can do here in Portland.
Speaker 6: So I think they're ready.
Speaker 3: Catlin Clark looks like she just simply put feels better right now? Is that the case? You see that too, Joy, I see.
Speaker 8: The joy returning to her game. I mean, I see her feeling very confident and very comfortable, and no situation on the floor seems to bother her.
Speaker 6: She's able to handle all of it.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, and you know what, she also has to And even if you block it out, there's all this other stuff and she is all ball and I have the ultimate respect with her about She just wants to play and play hoop and that's it. But all this other stuff has a tendency to close in on you. But it's incredible how she can block it all out and kind of maintain.
Speaker 2: Just that focus.
Speaker 3: Because really, the scrutiny on her on so many levels is so unlike what a lot of athletes see.
Speaker 8: It's an incredible spotlight and it's not one that she has necessarily asked for, but she certainly has handled. I think I've said this to you before, and I know I've said it in many places. I've never heard her make a mistake in a press conference. I've never heard her.
Speaker 6: Fall for the bait.
Speaker 8: I'd never heard her not take the high road. She constantly understands the role model that she has become. She embraces that, and she delivers and part of what happens when you have all of that other outside noise, you come together with your team and you go to.
Speaker 6: Practice and you go and shoot around and you do.
Speaker 8: The repetition and the rhythm and the reps and the habits, and then you forget all about that for that time that you're on the floor. That's the magic and that's the best time. And it's amazing that she can not let any of that other stuff be a distraction while she balls out like one of the top scores in.
Speaker 5: The league, you know.
Speaker 3: And what's great about it the way they are right now and on a wednestreak, and the way they performed on Tuesday, is that a lot of this other crap that you have to hear, you have to read, you have to deal with, has a tendency.
Speaker 2: To go away when you win, and a lot.
Speaker 3: Of that scrutiny, a lot of that criticism fades when you win. That's almost like this team, these players that coach showing everybody, Hey, this is what we're about, and then all that other stuff again has that tendency to fade away.
Speaker 8: Sharpens, the character, sharpens, the habits, puts all of it together for forty minutes on the floor. I mean, this is a mature group, so you know, maybe there were people talking about them in the conversation earlier in the year about how good they were, but certainly now they had everyone's attention. They've won five in a row.
Speaker 6: They've already set a bunch of offensive records.
Speaker 8: You know, historically, we're on pace to be the highest scoring team ever. Kelsey and Caitlin are becoming unguardable, and Caitlin and Kelsey are so good together. They're the highest scoring combo in the backcourt in the league, and Kelsey and Alia are like the.
Speaker 7: Second highest scoring combo in the league.
Speaker 8: So we've got a lot of offensive firepower. We should continue to concentrate on the defense, keep the distraction and the noise away, and just keep playing connected like they've played so far, fish very together.
Speaker 3: There is w Antindelli with us on the Andy More Automotive Group plotline with the fever not so much.
Speaker 2: There's no expectation there.
Speaker 3: But how often in the past in covering the WNBA have you seen a significant impact made for the WNBA trade deadline.
Speaker 8: I think we've had some in the past, and I have to think about what I don't know if we'll have a landslide change this year. It could happen, depending on Kelsey Plumb. I think there's a lot of conversation around what's happening with the Sparks. I don't have any insider information on any of that, so I don't know.
Speaker 6: But if she does.
Speaker 8: Land with a contender, that will be a big deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just it's kind of interesting.
Speaker 3: I could not recollect anything that Again, I'm looking at it from an impactful angle here that I could remember that took place. But as we embark upon that time right now, it is kind of interesting to note that that's where we are and there's going to be a lot of teams scrambling to think that they can get where they ultimately believe they can get at they ad a player of that level.
Speaker 8: You know, fifteen teams now and only eight spots, So while we're expanding, we haven't changed the number of teams in the playoffs.
Speaker 6: So yeah, it's a competitive rate.
Speaker 2: It is, you know, the.
Speaker 6: Product is good.
Speaker 8: I mean we've talked about this before. You can't sleep on any team in this league, even Connecticut, who is right now at the bottom with Seattle, both of those teams are capable in matchups that they can win, and you could see what Seattle has done. They're a tough matchup for us because of their size up front.
Speaker 3: Hi, Debbie, I'm jerious. You mentioned this before. The backcourt with Mitchell and Clark, and for those of us out there, the fans, it it'd be so easy. You have these dynamic players, the dynamic scores and everything is so easy. What is it like dealing with that, because it has to be to me, easier said than done to get the most out of again, two dynamic players in the backcourt that the Fever have like that.
Speaker 8: See, that's such a great question because they neither one of them actually needs a screen to be able to score. I think they prefer space. But because of the way Fever run stuff, they're always going to be involved in moving off the ball and coming off of screens and all kinds of screening activity, whether it's pin downs that are down the lane line or wide pin downs, which Kelsey Mitchell is like on a two man naked side is a pro.
Speaker 4: It's definitely a pro.
Speaker 8: Nobody can stop her going left when she's coming off that wide Alyssa Boston Eliot Boston, excuse me, pinned down. But here's the part of the game that people don't.
Speaker 6: Realize it's so valuable.
Speaker 8: Is when Lexi Hall runs to the corner, Cunningham runs hard to the corner, and Monique Billings runs hard to the rim. That's the space that I'm talking about. It seems like it's a simple concept, but it's so valuable for allowing all the other actions to happen. So while you're watching Caitlin and you're watching Kelsey, and it's hard to take your eyes off of either one of them because they are so dynamic, and they have the counters and the solutions to whatever you provide defensively, but you cannot discount all the other things, in all the other ways and habits that Stephanie White is instilled in this team to be able to score at the pace that we're scoring.
Speaker 3: I will tell you this too, because the eyes are constantly folks just on Caitlin Clark with the ball.
Speaker 2: But I have noticed this.
Speaker 3: Kelsey Mitchell is non stop movement without the ball. I don't know if this is the case, but that seems to me. She is so talented. But I think that is what really expedites to the highest level of talent because she has endless motion offensively out there.
Speaker 8: And see when you take her down the right side of the floor and Aliah Boston comes with that pin down and most defenses try to get on top of Kelsey, so they don't want her to cut off.
Speaker 6: The screen because she's going to curl that and score.
Speaker 8: But when you get on top of it, she's so fast. That's why we get a lot of those back door cuts, right the ninety degree cut on the baseline. But if you don't play her square, she's going to come off that and if she curls, she's going to get to the nail and she's going to hit a fifteen footer or she's going to hit Boston on the roll.
Speaker 4: We could run that.
Speaker 8: Play all game and no one would be able to stop it. Just clear it out and run that and Kelsey.
Speaker 6: Could get fifty.
Speaker 8: But that's not what the Fever need to do to be able to win a championship.
Speaker 5: And that's the way we should be talking about it.
Speaker 6: We should be talking about a championship now. We should be talking.
Speaker 8: About Kelsey Mitchell and Caitlin Clark in the conversation for MVP.
Speaker 3: It's a no doubt about that. Wi Antonelli joining us again. She and Pat Boyling have the call coming up later on tonight. I'm assuming nine point thirty pm is going to be the pre game and ten o'clock that tip time from the Modus Center in Portland to Oregon and then Minnesota coming up on the schedule on Sunday afternoon, which should be fun. Hey, thank you very much for taking the time out today for this breakdown. I appreciate that. We'll catch back up when you guys get back home too.
Speaker 8: Let's do it, and let's have a Fever takeover. Let us come in there and take over first.
Speaker 2: I would love it.
Speaker 3: I'd love to have anybody taking any fever man coming on in. Bring it on in. Yeah, make sure you tell everybody down there that, okay.
Speaker 8: Okay, I'll tell them for sure.
Speaker 3: Thanks DEVI, Debbie ed Todell is pretty awesome. Fever takeover, JAMV takeover?
Speaker 6: Why not?
Speaker 3: On the Andy Moore Automotive Group plotline, he in Chicago had to deal with Kurt Signetti yesterday, who was much more entertaining than I. On the Andy Moore Automotive Group plotline, it is Adam Rittenberg of esp on ESPN dot com. Uh, the holding of court of the defending national champion Indiana Hoosiers, their head coach, was somewhat interesting yesterday, was it not?
Speaker 7: It was, and you kind of come to expect that from saying I had a chance to visit with him early in the day and kind of said, hey, what do you got for us this time? Because we all remember his performance a couple of years ago, you know, when they hadn't done anything and you know, one of many called shots that.
Speaker 6: He's had in Indiana, and then you.
Speaker 7: Know, certainly last year planning up the disrespect that they had after making the playoff.
Speaker 6: But not advanced thing and using that.
Speaker 7: And so you know, it was it was certainly a fun performance to hear him throughout the day and the shots that he took at the SEC were absolute gold.
Speaker 6: So a fun a fun day. Indeed, as they wrapped up Big ten meeting, when's the.
Speaker 3: Last time we've seen a coach call their shot and then cash in with the shots that they called as much as he has.
Speaker 7: Well, it's hard to think of someone at a school with Indiana's history, you know, doing it like he has, or even moderately, you know, someone your coaches come in and talk about expectations and standards, the things that they want to do and accomplish. But uh, you know, I can't think of someone who was able to back it up the way that that Sigg has at Indiana. You know, from the moment he arrived there to you know, first first interview at the Big Ten championship game on the day that he was announced to the basketball court, to to really everything else. And I think that confidence permeates throughout the program. And obviously you have to work and you have to do the types of things that are necessary.
Speaker 6: And he outlines them. We all have heard.
Speaker 7: Those phrases from him before to actually do the winning. But if you're not confident in yourself, you're probably not going to accomplish great things. And that's not something he lacked, you know.
Speaker 3: Ata Brittenberger of ESPN dot espn dot com joins us, I say this all the time because people always bring up, well, you know, look at the money, or look at the regular season schedule, and what impresses me the most, even beyond well, I shouldn't say this, not beyond a national title, but what impresses me the most about what he has accomplished is the way that he puts together a roster. Having the finances the resources are not, but the way you put it together and have it work at that place, the way that it has in the past two years, is to me still the most amazing aspect of all this.
Speaker 7: Absolutely And you know, I think the word that comes to mind, and people have said this to me about sig is is efficiency. And you know, he's someone who has a very clear vision for every element of the program, including roster building, and so you know, they know who they want, they go after that person. They don't waste a lot of time in I mean, I remember that weekend right before the Peach Bowl, the semi final game last year was when they you know, loaded up on transfers and were able to get pretty much everybody they wanted for for the season coming in, you know, in a relatively short span. So he does not waste a lot of time or you know, or meander as he's figuring out the roster. And you know, they obviously had some needs after last season, you know, from quarterback to defensive end. You know, one of the offensive line spots certainly coming in Joe Brunner from Wisconsin was a great addition and so but it wasn't like they took thirty chances. I think they took seventeen or eighteen. But they took some real high quality guys and you know, with the resources that they have, they were able to land them. But it all starts with the vision of the head coach and the approach that you have towards roster building, because if you just grab transfers or you just chase guys because other teams are doing it, it's probably not going to work.
Speaker 6: Out in your favor.
Speaker 2: Its Adam Rittenberg with us.
Speaker 3: What's also kind of interesting about it is people, I think often forget how many holdovers and there are a lot of you know, there were a number of I should say handful of Tom Allen holdovers that had significant moments for him as well in the past two years.
Speaker 5: And he made a.
Speaker 7: Point to say, hey, listen, everyone's making a big deal about how the jam you guys are gone, Like what about the Indiana guys who have been here two years and you know, they've become our jam you guys. And I mean that's been maybe the most impressive element of what he's done there is taking the guys he inherited who were clearly talented, and.
Speaker 6: Ta deserves credit for that.
Speaker 7: Em and his staff that they brought some good players there, but Kurt and his staff have brought the most out of them. And you know, you look at Carter Smith, you look at you know, other other players who Isaiah Jones and you guys on the defensive side who have really blossomed under this staff. You know, they weren't JM. You guys, they weren't guys who knew how Kurt Signetti and Brian Haynes and the rest of that staff ticked. They have just embraced them, and they've risen up and and and become, you know, in some cases, elite players. Charlie Becker, So, I think that that's really an impressive part of this and also something that needs to be looked at when you're analyzing what Indiana can be again this year. You're naive if you.
Speaker 6: Don't think they're a playoff contender. They absolutely are, and.
Speaker 5: They're probably going to be as.
Speaker 7: Long as he's there in most seasons. And part of that is the development piece. It's not just spending money on Josh Hoover and Nick Marsh and those defensive linemen from Notre Dame in Kansas State, Like, it's about inheriting players that maybe haven't blossomed yet and figuring out how to make them the best they can be. And they've done that.
Speaker 3: You mentioned Hoover and Marsh, and I'll add in Turbo Richard as well, impactful players at impactful positions offensively for Kurt Signetti coming up to defend their national title. How do you ultimately think that's that's going to work out, especially with that particular trio.
Speaker 5: Excellent grouve.
Speaker 7: It obviously starts with Josh and you know, we know that Josh can be really productive, he was throughout his time at TCU. I think the key is decision making and turnovers and limiting those and obviously making great decisions in big moments. And Sig mentioned that yesterday that you know, Bernanda Mendoza was a great quarterback because of how he played in the fourth quarter of big games. And that's what Josh Hoover is going to have to do for this team to get back to the playoffs and make another run at the national title. And they're certainly having guys like Nick Marsh and Charlie Becker, who was really one of the true stars of the postseason last year, you know, gives this Indiana passing game a real chance.
Speaker 6: And the thing that I love about.
Speaker 7: Their offense though, is their commitment to the run. No matter how a game is going, no matter how the opponent, you know.
Speaker 6: How good or bad they are, they are going to run the ball with multiple backs.
Speaker 7: And that was a big part of their success last year. And I think, you know, guys like Turbo Richard, you know, will help them sustain that approach this year.
Speaker 3: Who most impresses you either on the inbound new or holdovers. Defensively, speaking for AYU this year.
Speaker 7: Well, I think Tyreek Tucker is a National Defensive Player of the Year candidate. He's cerainly an Outland Trophy candidate in defensive tackle, and he is a JMU guy who's who's still there. And I just I love the way he plays. I love how consistent he is, how durable he is, and that gives you a real chance, you know, when when you when you have a guy in the middle of your defensive line who can be disruptive and who's also really reliable. So you know, I think he's won, and you know, I think that linebacking group of Elijah Hardy and Isaiah Jones gives you a lot of excitement. And you know, I was there in the spring and you know saw them practice, and you know that's a that's an elite level defense. I think still and I know there's a lot of confidence in terms of internally about what.
Speaker 6: They can be, even though they lose some.
Speaker 7: Really good players, you know, D'Angelo Pond's It's very difficult to replace the guy like that. I mean Dangelo Pons is six foot or six y one.
Speaker 6: He's like a top ten pick.
Speaker 7: I mean, he was that good of a player. So that's tough to replace.
Speaker 6: But they do hold over some really.
Speaker 7: Good players, and they also brought in some transfers who I think can help them at least at the at the edge rusher spot.
Speaker 3: Adam Rittenberg he is of a ESPN on ESPN dot com talking Big Ten college football on the Andy Moore Automotive Group, potline, so Barry Odom and the boiler Makers and trying to get back to the level of respectability and then make something happen. In Wesselafiette with our where do you expect them to be this season.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think they'll be better. It couldn't be a lot worse, but that's not saying much. I just feel like they know. This felt like.
Speaker 7: A full off season for them, and a large part of the struggle last year was how late they got some of the players on campus that they were going to be relying on, and I don't think they had that same issue. From talking to Barry, and I mean his general manager was there as well in Chicago, I think they feel like they've been with this group now since the end of last year, with obviously some new additions, but some of their core pieces from last year are back, and I just think certain areas will will be a little bit more reliable. Depth should should help them now. It's the schedule doesn't do them any favors, with Notre Dame and Wake Forest, a team that surprisingly won nine games last year.
Speaker 6: Jake Dickers the heck.
Speaker 7: Of a coach who has roots here in the Midwest, so that's going to be a tough game, and then obviously the Big Ten schedule. But I think we'll see a Perdue team that's more competitive returning quarterback and Ryan Brown, and I know that Barry is really excited about what he can do this year.
Speaker 2: So Adam Brittenberg with us.
Speaker 3: So yeah, obviously the major coaching landscape changes in college football. You can, to me make the significant argument Ann Arbor, Happy Valley and then East Lansing. How will things work out in years number one for these trio of coaches and really two of the three places where the level of expectations are going to be substantial out of the game, no doubt.
Speaker 7: And I think of the three, you know, Penn State to me has the best chance to make the playoffs.
Speaker 6: You know, because of.
Speaker 7: You know who Matt brought with him from Iowa State, some really good players.
Speaker 5: Who have been in big games over the years.
Speaker 7: Including quarterback Rock Obec, but also some really good defensive players and you know, alignment and on both sides of the ball, players like that. You know, they also have a very favorable schedule relatively speaking, you know, nobody out of conference in the Power for a league, and then a Big ten schedule that doesn't include Ohio State, Oregon or Indiana. So you know, Penn State anything less than nine wins, I think he'll be looked at a disappointing And if you win.
Speaker 6: Ten, you're probably in the playoffs. You're Michigan will be fascinating.
Speaker 7: You know, Kyle is sixty six years old.
Speaker 6: He's not going to be coaching there for ten years.
Speaker 5: He's there to win.
Speaker 6: I don't know if they're.
Speaker 7: Ready to win at an elite level, but I think they're a team that can be better than it was in certain elements last year.
Speaker 6: I think they're going to run the ball really well.
Speaker 7: I think they're going to play good defense, possibly great defense, and his teams are always very strong on special teams. It was one of the strengths that had at Utah. I just don't know. The quarterback situation is a major question if they're going to be a substantially better passing offense, and they've been really at the bottom of the FBS and passing the last couple of years, so that's certainly an area to watch.
Speaker 6: I think we're Michigan State. They've got a lot of work to do.
Speaker 7: I don't think the rosters were to be The league is very tough, and I think it's going to take some time for Pat Fitzgerald to get that thing going again.
Speaker 6: But you look at Indiana and you look at.
Speaker 7: Other examples, and you know, if you feel you have the right coach and the right approach, they can rise up to the issue that I have with him is the offense completely.
Speaker 6: Fell apart towards the end of his time at Northwestern.
Speaker 7: Even when they were winning of some of those years, their offense was near the bottom and in almost every category. So if they're more if they have it together on offense in Michigan State, I'll have more confidence that they can rise up a very tough Big Ten ranks a little bit faster.
Speaker 3: Is so last year you beat the Ducks in your gene beat them again in the Peach Bowl to advance to the National Championship Game. For Dan Lanning and the Ducks, is this a championship game advancement or bust for this group that he has this year?
Speaker 7: I think it's a team that I hate to say this, It almost doesn't matter what they do in the season, unless they lose enough games not to make the playoff, which would then be a major disappointment. But whether they win eleven, whether they win ten, it's about what they do in the playoffs, right because two years ago they were undefeated, number one team, won the Big Ten, and then they just get blasted by Ohio State this past year. Again, a really good team that just had lost to Indiana but was certainly capable of advancing in the playoff.
Speaker 6: They won two games and then Indiana blasts them.
Speaker 7: So how they perform in the playoff is really going to tape how we look at this season for Oregon, and it's a big reason why Dante Moore came back at quarterback while their entire starting defensive line has come back. I think their offensive skill will be deeper and better than it was last year.
Speaker 6: They had a lot of.
Speaker 7: Injuries at running back, receiver, and tight end. If they can stay healthy at those positions, this should be a top five offense with Dante more leading the way. So I think, yeah, anything other than the deep playoff run will be looked at. Its disappointing given what Oregon has coming back.
Speaker 3: All right, hot seat Lincoln Riley your number five, Lukewarm, the hotter seat, Matt rule in Lincoln with the Cornhuskers.
Speaker 2: Let's start with those two programs.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't think MAT's on the hot seat. I mean they gave him an extension when all the Penn State stuff was going on. You know, whether they end up forgetting, regretting it or not. What we'll find out, but they do not want to fire Matt Rules. So yeah, Lincoln Riley's in a really interesting place because he believes this is a team that can make the College Football Playoff. He's no longer complaining about what USC doesn't have or what he inherited from Clay Helton. They feel like this roster is certainly strong enough and doesn't have many obvious holes.
Speaker 6: And so the challenge for them is.
Speaker 7: Going to be their schedule. So they have five critical games, three at home with Washington, Oregon, and Ohio State, and then two on the road Penn State in Indiana, and so I think they'll win at least one.
Speaker 6: Of those ones at home.
Speaker 7: But if they can win two and then split the road games, I think they're going.
Speaker 6: To the College Football Playoffs.
Speaker 7: But if they go one in four or zero in five in that stretch, then USC maybe looking for a new coach. It's that simple, and why this is such a huge season for Lincoln.
Speaker 3: How about in Wisconsin and Madison with Luke Fickle in company, is this going to be a year where they do a lot more? And I'm assuming Badger fans would expect it, But what do you expect out of that program?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think they'll be better.
Speaker 7: I was up there watching them practice the spring.
Speaker 6: I think if they can.
Speaker 7: Stay healthier at key positions, namely quarterback, because they've had no health at quarterback the last two years, that they're going to be a better football team. I think the challenge is can you get through September with limited injuries and decent enough morale Because you have Notre Dame to begin with at lambeau Field at the opener. Notre Dame hasn't played since last November. They're going to be incredibly fired up for this one, and I think they'll probably win easily. And then Wisconsin also has to go to Penn State, so that if you can get through that September stretch, you have a schedule that isn't loaded with contenders. I don't think there's Ohio State, Indiana, Oregon on that schedule either, So Wisconsin's got an opportunity to pile up some wins and start to feel.
Speaker 6: Better about a trajectory.
Speaker 7: And from talking to Luke in Chicago, I think he feels much better about the leadership. He's excited about Colton Joseph who's a different type of quarterback, dual threat coming in from Old Dominion. They think they can run the ball a lot more efficiently this year, and then defensively. He likes some of their star players there, Mason Posta among them, so they've got a chance. It's just, you know, how are they going to emerge from September with those two big games.
Speaker 3: Adam Rettenberg's with us regarding Big ten in college football. Give me a surprise team or two in your estimation, as we said here right now.
Speaker 7: You know, I don't know if Minnesota would be a surprise, but I think that they're a team that has been right on the cusp of breaking through, winning seven eight games pretty much every year. I think with a returning quarterback and Drake Lindsay, they have one of the best pass rushers in college football and Anthony Smith, a lot of other returning players, I think they're one to watch potentially. And then Washington, you know, again, they were a team that took a step forward last year. They need to play better in the big games, especially away from Seattle. But they bring back de Mont Williams junior, who briefly entered the transfer portal in January and ultimately returned, and Jed Fish was talking about the defense, you know, under the leadership of former Purdue head coach Ryan Walters, possibly being a top ten unit this year. That's how confident he feels in that side of the ball. And if that's the case, like they can be a very disruptive team they go to USC Indiana has to go there like that's gonna be a tough out if they can stay healthy.
Speaker 6: They didn't take a lot.
Speaker 7: Of transfers, which to me indicates that their coaching staff is really confident in who they have coming back. So I think Washington's a really interesting team to watch, you know, as far as others, you know, Nebraska, maybe they finally.
Speaker 5: Put it together this year.
Speaker 7: I like their quarterback transfer Anthony Silandria. Your Northwestern has Chip Kelly as their offensive coordinator. Although they have a really tough schedule, so it might be tough to have major progress until year two. But I think I think Washington and Minnesota or two that I'm interested in.
Speaker 3: I'm going to ask you about this because IU kicks off their season again in defense of their national championship at home against North Texas and the Mean Green they were good a year ago. I think they lost a little bit. But there's an interesting dynamic at work here. And I'm sure you've noticed that former Hoosier and Trace Jackson Davis, who was a standout baller and in the NBA right now of IU, his younger brother, Tavian Jackson, is quarterbacking the mean Green. Does that stand out to you as one of the start to the season types of games, especially for the defending national champions.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, it's certainly interesting for Indiana fans because of the of the Jackson family ties to the school, But that situation is more common than you think because of the mobility of quarterbacks. You know, Aiden Childs, for example, left Michigan State, he's at Northwestern. Northwestern plays at Michigan State this year. Like, those situations tend to happen. But I think the real intrigue is Indiana and hey, they're defending their national championship. How are they going to look? How's Josh Houver going to look? Is it going to feel the same as it did last year when they were so dominant really from start to finish in these non conference games, or are they going to get off to a slow start. But yeah, at the Quarterback Reunion, even though it does happen around.
Speaker 6: College football, it's always.
Speaker 7: Another layer to you know, it doesn't look like a superbly exciting game to start the season for IU.
Speaker 3: Adam Rittenberg of ESPN on ESPN dot com. I know you've been riding a lot regarding I you and your coverage of Chicago on the Big Ten media days. What's on the horizon for you, Adam?
Speaker 7: Yeah, some national pieces coming out, one on quarterbacks and talking to coaches around the country on what they think of some of the top returning quarterbacks have have I actually do working on a piece about the next Indiana and really diving into profiles of universities and programs that maybe we overlooked. I mean, I for one, did not realize how large the Indiana alumni base was and how capable it was and who else might have those ingredients along with the coach and administration and support to break through. So that'll be another piece that we'll have out in August.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that that dynamic and the Big Ten and IU and the SEC that is pretty awesome because these are all scenarios where you never really thought you'd be having this discussion.
Speaker 2: Yet Adam, here we are. It's awesome.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 7: And again, you know, as someone who's covered the Big Ten for many years, when it was down, you really.
Speaker 6: Couldn't say anything right.
Speaker 7: The SEC would would would talk its talk, and the Big Ten just had to kind of take it. And now the SEC is making these ridiculous arguments about depth, and now their schedule is too hard. It's just laughable from a big I loved what SIGG said, like like, when when the Big Ten is down, we take it, and when you're down, you guys cry about it, Like that's absolutely what you thought would happen if the.
Speaker 6: Table's ever turned, and now they have.
Speaker 7: And I don't know how long it's gonna last, but I'll tell you this, if Oregon wins the national title and it's four to four with four.
Speaker 6: Different teams and the SEC is not in that game.
Speaker 7: It's going to be a really rough offseason for for folks down south.
Speaker 3: Do you have a selection for the Big Ten title game right now?
Speaker 7: You know, it's hard not to think it's some combination of Oregon, Ohio State, Indiana, although again, as I know, the Penn State because of their schedule, could be sitting there, you know, at ten and two, eleven and one with really a chance to squeak in there because they're skill. Sedule just isn't as tough as.
Speaker 6: Some of those other teams.
Speaker 7: But you're curious if usc can can can really back up with Lincoln is saying and some of these other contenders Washington, Michigan and so forth. But I think it'll be some combo of IU, Oregon and Ohio State again.
Speaker 3: Adam will do it again soon, man. I appreciate the time. Good stuff, all right, thanks for having me, Adam Rittenberg of esp and espn dot com. A college football Big Ten resource that was outstanding right there, really was
Speaker 2: All over the map,