Speaker 1: The ride with JMV.
Speaker 2: I tell you Wally would be the only character in Mayfield High with ant FM.
Speaker 3: Radio in his guard Point FM.
Speaker 2: That's really Nate that he three five and one oh seven five the fan. Hi walk you back, Yeah, Tony Cassan, I this morning talking Coats might have saw Carl Showbiz put that bad boy up there.
Speaker 1: You know it was interesting too.
Speaker 2: I brought up the passing at the age of eighty three of the legendary Tommy John. Mark Boyle, the voice of the Pacers, sent this out talking about because Tommy John was at Gertzmeyer but played at Gertzmeyer and Tara HOAt after Slick Leonard.
Speaker 1: Was there, and Mark had sent me this.
Speaker 2: Slick once told me that when he played high school basketball at Tara HOAt very young, Tommy John was the team mascot. That is true Tommy John. Because somebody he had just asked me on the text line if Slick Leonard and Tommy John played on the same high school team in tarret Hate, and they did not. Tommy was younger than Slick, And as Mark Boyle had said to me a little bit earlier on X, Tommy John was younger and was the mascot. But Tommy John was an exceptional basketball player, and as I mentioned, and this was courtesy of my good friend John Callahan down in Bloomington who grew up in Bedford. In nineteen sixty one, Tommy John put up forty seven against Bedford High School, losing to Bedford, but also being recruited at the time by Kentucky and Adolph Rupp, and Tommy John obviously decided to play professional baseball. And then everything for everybody changed in nineteen seventy four with the invention and the pioneering with doctor Frank job and Tommy John surgery. Fairly unbelievable, is what it is, the late great Tommy John. And you guys were asking when he was on the show, he was on the show. I want to say five years ago. I also believe if you remember, it was that time when there was no sports going on and we're in COVID, I think it was in the spring of twenty twenty, and he was on the show.
Speaker 1: Just exceptional stuff back then.
Speaker 2: And we were sad to see Tommy John pass away that that was announced at the age of eighty three over the weekend, and how much of the Colts not signing a wide receiver is because ownership is cheap.
Speaker 1: I would not like to think in that fashion.
Speaker 2: I would like to think that it's more of just the thought process of those that are putting together the team. I would also like to think that maybe if your for example, everybody's focus has been on Keenan Allen and who knows. I saw over the weekend where they brought in what's the guy's name, equanomous, Saint Brown it's a Monro's yes, and the one that's not that good, that Saint Brown, that's not that good. Josh Reynolds I think was another one if I remember him correctly. Once upon a time he put up his best numbers. Was it Tampa with the Buccaneers for rentals?
Speaker 4: I think it was.
Speaker 2: In Detroit. So they brought in three wide receivers. And who knows. They may not be thinking about like the rest of the world is thinking about with Keenan Allen. But Keenan Allen may be saying, I've been doing this for a long time. I don't need to prove myself and Jackie Brown with the early to middle stages of training camp.
Speaker 1: Now, I know that's what you.
Speaker 2: But and there's also I know financial and I don't know why finances would even play a role right here, but there are financial situations that you can concidestep two. The longer that you wait in this it would just to me, regardless of your thought you need one anyway. Tony Kass brought up to me this morning, well are they going to keep an extra tight end? Is that extra tight end going to be will Mallory?
Speaker 1: That to me doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: The wide receiver position is beyond premium and you look at it right now. Nothing against those dudes, But is there a worse wide receiving group? Especially with Pierce in the situation and which he's in, it doesn't sound like all of a sudden he's going to hop back up and be good.
Speaker 1: To go even for week number one.
Speaker 2: Is there a wide receiving group in the NFL that we would consider just buy eyeballing right now, worse than the one that the Colts have anybody. I'm not trying to be a jackass about it, but the truth is is there. You have to find somebody else, and you have to find somebody else that is significant.
Speaker 1: There's certainly more significant than what you have.
Speaker 2: I know, they see and they know. But I also know this. And this is not me trying to be again at jackass. But how many times in the past have we or you as a fan been accurate and it not worked out for the organization. They have long since lost the trust of well, we're around this all the time. We're much smarter than you, guys. Sometimes you haven't been. It's just you ask anybody, and this is what they need. And I would like to say it seems obvious, but it more than just seems obvious, It is obvious.
Speaker 1: You have to.
Speaker 2: You have to a yes practice.
Speaker 4: On Saturday, John I went up to park and drop light Graham Pike, excuse me, and I went up there and there was a play in the corner of the end zone. Daniel threw it to Josh Downs.
Speaker 1: Josh Town's what.
Speaker 4: I can't remember who the corner was that he went up with, but like a jump ball in the corner of the end zone and they kind of got physical, and I think it was supposed to just kind of be a light practice there on Saturday, and the corner landed on Josh Downs's ankle and he was limping off, and in that moment, I'm thinking to myself like, well, Alec Pearce isn't practicing Josh downs?
Speaker 1: Is it so?
Speaker 4: And it just takes you to like, Okay, if we get to September and October when these games star mattering and plays like that are happening ten times a Sundanes are what is going to happen here.
Speaker 2: To a team that historically and notoriously is consistently compromised due to Angelina. Yeah, that's not lost on anybody right now, and especially financially. It would seem to me that you would be knowing what you know. And there are half twos across the board this year. I mean, the lay of the land has been presented, there are half twos levels in which you must reach this season. Why you would not go all in? I heard before Kevin and James came on this morning. I heard whatever ESPN morning show programming that is talk about how, hey, the cults are all in really in what capacity? Only because Carly Orsay Gordon has said that. But does it appear to you as if they are. Does it appear to you with the work that they have done and the off season that they are You had to have a quarterback, so you got to bring back Daniel Jones because you don't believe in any of the other two at that level. Now you brought back your best wide receiver. Now you let your other wide receiver, you know, go. You had to give them up to Pittsburgh. And you know, obviously we'll see because a lot of people suggest Michael Pittman Junior didn't produce at the level in which he was going to be paid. So that was something you had to compromise. But as I've always said, at the very least he was somebody go all right, Michael Pittman Jr. We have to account for that guy who you're accounting for here. You look around the NFL, is there a team that has a worse or and it's just eyeballing it a worse by the eyeball test wide receiving situation than the Colts right now.
Speaker 1: And then.
Speaker 2: You know, I saw the video that James put out from Shane Steichen talking about Alec Pierce.
Speaker 1: Ali Peer's gonna be good to go for week number one. You count on that.
Speaker 2: It doesn't seem like it's all in, as that morning show proclaimed all in, They're all in. Well you're all in because that's what your owner says, but it's not like the actions have dictated. Yeah, this is a have to quick when we'll come back. If you're on hold, I'll get to your Top of the Hour, Ted Bishop's going to join us. I mentioned tomorrow Rick Venturi and Charles R. Buckle on the show along with Greg Rakestraw. We have a preseason game two on Saturday to Tales coming up. For that, We're going to be live on Thursday at Colt's Camp, drop Light Grand Park, Westfield. That's the joint gatherings with the Atlanta Falcons. DeForrest Buckner joins us coming up on Thursday too. Meantime, Ted Bishop, Top of the Hour, The life of one great left handed pitcher, Tommy John from Taro, Indiana. Ted Bishop, about that four o'clock hour, Stephen Holder, more on the Colts and a lot of the things I'm talking about right now, five o'clock hour. This is ninety three five one oh seven five the fan meantime of the Endymore Automotive Group Hotline. He is the former PGA of America Prez and he is presently and still the awesome pro down at the Legends in Franklin. He is a friend of the show. He is Ted Bishop, who joins us. Now, Hello, Ted, how are you pal?
Speaker 3: And good GMB.
Speaker 2: I'm going to ask you, is this the final hurrah for live golf this weekend here?
Speaker 5: I think it very well could be. It'll be interesting. Supposedly they've got some kind of source of funding, but we'll see.
Speaker 2: I kind of wondered that this is going to be because they put a lot more money into this event, and it's got people wondering if maybe this is going to be it after that particular Westfield event this week. I guess yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, honestly, I'm even kind of surprised that this event's taken place.
Speaker 2: Really, did you have questions leading up to it whether or not it was going to happen?
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 5: I would if you would have asked me a month ago, I would have said, it's probably not going to happen.
Speaker 1: What are the biggest issues with this from what you see?
Speaker 5: Well, I think that there has not been really a lot of fan interest relative to the amount of money that's involved in the person I think the formats have been, you know, a real issue. I just I don't know for me personally, I haven't seen one shot of live golf, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, living either to watch. I don't even know where to find it, to be honest with I don't know where.
Speaker 2: To find it.
Speaker 3: That's the problem.
Speaker 2: And Tim, Yeah, And the other thing is it seems like that they wanted to go all in on this like happy Gilmore form of golf that yeah, didn't go off in any interest whatsoever.
Speaker 5: Now And I think that really one of the fundamental problems that you have, and this is true even with the PGA Tour right now, John, is that so many people would rather play golf than watch it on TV. And that's the first time in a long time, and we've talked about that before.
Speaker 3: That that's been the case.
Speaker 5: But people would rather be recreating than spectating.
Speaker 2: You know what's weird about that is if there is any sport out there that can take advantage of the just incredible technology that we have that we have seen implemented on all forms, especially football, would be that of golf because they can bring that right into your living room. Yet still it's such a long time consuming event. It's rough to get people to hang around for the required time.
Speaker 3: You know, it is.
Speaker 5: And I remember back when I was doing a lot of things with golf. There would be occasionally somebody would say that and watch on golf on TV because it was like watching somebody fish And honestly, how what it does for me right now?
Speaker 2: Like Da, Well, what do you think golf needs? Like in general? A rejuvenation of sorts?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 1: Is there anything you have in your mind?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: I think they need star power.
Speaker 5: And in all due respect to Scheffler, he's a great player. He's the best player out there right now. But they need star power like they had with Tiger Woods, Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklas, so on and so forth. And I just I don't think that that's.
Speaker 3: Going to happen in our lifetime.
Speaker 5: So it's going to be interesting to see what happens going forward.
Speaker 2: It is incredible to see whom is selected to be that star power. Ten I'll give you a great example. So Friday, I'm at Pivot Bar and balcony. I didn't have child because this is after the show. I didn't have time to say this. I haven't said it yet, but this is before the feat and the Wings played and we were giving away with Hurst and Lamontes the law firm. Here we're giving away gas cards for those that came the furthest away ted on the balcony alone listening to this show. We had people that are there from New Jersey, Florida, Boston and this is just all of the balcony next to us, Philadelphia, Chicago, and we had a dude and his wife and the guy was a mountain climber slash prosecutor in Fairbanks, Alaska, and he had come all the way here to see that. So the Fever reach and I guess who the general public decide to be those that what you're talking about, those maidenline folks. It is incredible, but clearly Caitlin Clark and the Fever would be that by what I discovered on Friday, I knew that it was popular. I had no idea that people came. You know, we had a Twin Falls, Idaho, had no idea people came from that far out to witness that. And that's kind of what you're talking about in the form of golf right here.
Speaker 5: You know what, I'll say A funny story that you mentioned that for the August sixth game.
Speaker 3: Barry Hyde, who works for the Washerman Agency in New York. He's Tom Watson's agent.
Speaker 5: He reached out to me to see if there was any way that I could get him two Fever tickets for that game. Now here's a guy that with Washerman Sports who can get tickets for anything. But he had he had a niece and a nephew that were going to be in Indianapolis, and I reached out they are a good friend, Susie Fisher, and got him the tickets. But they came from New York City to see this Fever game because they wanted to see Caitlin Clark.
Speaker 2: It's seriously, I've seen very few things like it now. Honestly, Ted, I knew that it was that big, but I had no idea just those people for a random Friday game. I know you had Paige Becker's on the other side too, but it was absolutely incredible. The links in which these people came and drove in or flew in to get to that game, absolutely incredible, no doubt. Hey, by the way, too, you mentioned Susie. We got to mention, don did you see over the weekend are living a legend going into the Indiana the Indiana Historical Society. I saw that the Historical Society gave him an award.
Speaker 1: He was all.
Speaker 2: Tuxedoed up and everything going back to Friday.
Speaker 5: No, I actually I forgot all about that. I do remember when the announcement came out and I told him, I said, you know, you really reached a milestone of age when you're getting read by the Indiana Storical Society.
Speaker 2: You know what, Ted, you know what really pisses I tell him this all the time too, I said, it really pisses me off because he looks he looks like he hasn't aged a year.
Speaker 1: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: And he's all tuxedo and a pier and looking great right now. And he's got Peyton Manning Larry Bird to Mika Catching's Bill Poleon. You know, among those that are a part of the living, living legend of Indiana by the Indiana Historical Society, that is one hell of an honor right there.
Speaker 3: For Don Well, he is truly a living legend.
Speaker 5: And as you know, and everybody that knows youre pare at the legends. He's he's known for being an extremely nice guy. On top of being the.
Speaker 2: Voice, yeah yeah, he also he also buys all the beer for me at our table on Friday nights, which is really nice. I appreciate that too, Ted Bishop, who is down legends. The reason why I want to bring you on is, if I remember correctly, it was over COVID, there was no sports going on, and you put now the late Tommy John on with me. He was an incredible conversation the first time he'd ever been on this show. And from Tera Hot, Indiana, I know that you were really close to him. He passed away over the weekend. What's Tommy John and his legend mean to you, Ted.
Speaker 5: Well, I want to go back to the first time I met him, John, and it was in nineteen seventy eight. I was doing some moonlighting work for the Lynton Daily Citizen on the side when I was running the golf course down there, and the legendary Tom Wreck at the Terretoe Tribune Star got me set up to do an interview with Tommy John when the Dodgers were in Cincinnati the last week of the season before the playoffs started, and obviously the Dodgers were going to go to the postseason and go to the World Series. So I had never met Tommy John, but I went down there at the age of twenty four, and after the game was over with went into the Dodger clubhouse and Tommy was stark naked in a whirlpool drinking a glass of red wine. And the clubhouse guy took me over and did the introductions, and you know, I did this interview with him. And while we were doing the interview, Bill Russell, the Dodger shortstop, came over and John had evidently been in the whirlpool for a while and he said, Tommy, gets your ass out of there. He said, you know, it's my time, and Tommy looked up at him and he grinned and he said, Russ. He said, I'm going to finish talking to my friend Ted here, who he'd never met before, and I'm going to finish this glass of wine. And he said when that's done, he said.
Speaker 3: It's all yours.
Speaker 5: And it was a few years later when he retired. He called me at the golf course in Lynton and he asked me if he could play in the Phil Harris Tournament. And I said, are you kidding? Absolutely, and he said, well, there's one condition. He said, I want to bring my dad. And he said I want to play with my dad. And I said, well that's that's an easy ass, so you can definitely do that, So I don't know. For the next eight or nine years that I ran that tournament, he came to Winton and he played with his dad every year, and he was here for our grand opening at the Legends. Bob Lamey, the great announcer for the Colts, was a huge Yankees fan like I am, and he wanted spring training tickets one year, which are impossible to get at Legends Field. So I called Tommy. Tommy got Bob the this, you know, the spring season tickets. I mean, he was he was a great friend. And I thought the the statement that the Yankees released last week where he was quoted as saying that his dad had said something to him like, you know when it Saul said and done, You're just going to be Tommy Jones from Tarahoe, Indiana, and and he never really lost sight of that. And I mean he had a tremendous career. I mean, you know that as well as I do. Should be in the Hall of Fame, without question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I completely agree, Ted Bishop with the life and knowing Tommy John who passed away at the age of eighty three this weekend. Ted's on the Andy Moore Automotive Group potline and just you know, beyond the pioneering of the Tommy John surgery alone as a multi decade player. He started in the sixties, I believe with the Indians, to the White Sox, to the Dodgers, to the Yankees. But we're talking one, two, three, what eighty nine with the A's when I think he called it quits right there, that is one hell of an incredible career.
Speaker 3: Well it was. I mean, you know, I think so you ask yourself, why is the guy not in the Hall of Fame?
Speaker 5: And you know, I heard I saw an interesting interview yesterday where they ran it on the MLB network and Tommy John said that when Jim Cott went in the Hall of Fame, Jim Cott called him to apologize. And Tommy said, what do you what do you call him to apologize for? He should be happy, And he said, I can't believe that I'm going in to the Hall of Game before you do. And I think, you know, the guy won two hundred.
Speaker 3: And eighty eight games.
Speaker 5: I think they always held the two hundred and thirty one losses that he had against him. But you have to consider he had a three point three four lifetime era and toy put it into perspective. I mean he played pitched for some bad teams in his career. I mean when he was with the White Sox, John he was eighty two and eighty in eight years, but he had a two point nine to five era. I mean his numbers are unbelievable. Three time twenty game winner, four time All Star, like you said, a twenty six year career, and you know he started like I think it was three hundred and eighty five games that he pitched after he had Tommy John surgery.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is Ted Bishop joins us.
Speaker 2: My friend John Callahan down in Wilmington sent me this note over the weekend, and I was unaware. I knew that he was a high level athlete at Terre Hote Gertzmeyer back in the sixties, and he came obviously after the late Slick Leonard as well. I think he was a mascot as a Slick letter told Mark Boyle mascot for gertz Meyer whenever Slick was a player Gertzmeyer. But Tommy John in nineteen sixty one scored forty seven against Bedford High School and was being recruited by Adolph Rupp at Kentucky but then ultimately chose to play as he did professional baseball. But he was every bit as good as basketball player back then.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a fact. I mean he's told me that story many times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an Adolph Rupp And I think he told us that too when he was he was on here.
Speaker 1: I the first time that you met him was that with.
Speaker 2: The when you were doing that interview of him for the Daily Citizen.
Speaker 1: Was that the first time was.
Speaker 3: I mean I'd never met him before that that was it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it really is incredible. And then the what he touched as far as you know, baseball teams and the era in what she played, it's in continues. His name is one that will never ever go away because in terms of baseball you hear his name about every other week nowadays, you just really do. And the people have careers now that they never would have.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Obviously, doctor Frank Job in nineteen seventy four had a lot to do with that as the guy that pioneered the procedure himself, But you know the guy that had the career thereafter is that of Tommy John Well.
Speaker 3: He is and when he had that surgery. You know, he told me this that, you know, Joe.
Speaker 5: He was done, he was done pitching, I mean, his career was over with. And yeah, really the surgery was kind of a last ditch effort at the time, and Job told him that the odds of him returning to pitch were one hundred to one against. And he's like, well, I got nothing to lose, I'm gonna go ahead and do it. And obviously the rest was history. And it's you know, it's one thing for a journeyman player to go through a surgery like that and then really streamline what happens in baseball for the rest of time. But again, getting back to the Hall of Fame situation, I mean, here's a guy that won two hundred and eighty eight games.
Speaker 3: The only two guys.
Speaker 5: That have won more games than Tommy John that are not in the Hall of Fame are Roger Clemens for obvious reasons. And the name of the next guy escapes me because he was a guy that pitched in the early days of the game, before there.
Speaker 3: Was even a mound. So you know, it's well, you he'll be in now.
Speaker 2: You mentioned Jim Cott to eighty three, which is less Bert blyleven is in at to eighty seven, Robert Roberts is entered two eighty six, Foggy Jenkins at two eighty four. Uh, Mike Mussina, I think right is two seventy more modern days, certainly right there, Jim Palmer's two sixty eight, Bob Feller two sixty six. So you've got guys in this, and we can go further down the list as well with those types. But you know, there are guys with less wins that are in right now, certainly than Tommy John Well.
Speaker 5: I just think that the duration of his career, it's almost like the twenty six years that he pitched worked against him in the minds of some people. Becauesn't work as that mentality might be if you understand what I'm saying. You know, okay, Well he had two hundred and eighty eight wins, but he pitched for twenty six years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean seriously, he told you know, John, he told me a story.
Speaker 5: I gave me a statistic and I've I've looked tried to look it up today before this interview about how many of his seven hundred starts he it's into the eighth inning, it's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: I mean it's it's completely different era baseball Ted because you know you basically you went all the way.
Speaker 1: I mean you did. It's nothing like it is today.
Speaker 5: But uh, you know, an incredible career, but a you know, really a great guy in a classic.
Speaker 3: Hoosier for sure.
Speaker 2: I brought this up a little bit earlier. Ted Bishop down in Franklin at the Legends. He is the golf pro and obviously used to be the pro over at the Phil Harris and Lytton Indiana.
Speaker 1: How many times did did he be a part of the.
Speaker 2: Phil Harris Classic over the summers that you were a part of it too?
Speaker 3: Yeah, obviously say eight or nine times for sure.
Speaker 2: Wow, that that will go down as one of the greatest golf tournaments of all time. You realize that, right, especially in the state of India, I mean the state of Indiana had there was was there anything else in the state like then and now like it?
Speaker 1: It's incredible.
Speaker 5: The only thing that was going on that was even remotely like it was the Matt Anthony's up in Fort Wayne.
Speaker 3: But as you know, because you grew up.
Speaker 5: In that area, the thing that different differentiated that tournament was we had six hundred players in two days. We had four one hundred and fifty players, shotguns, starts. Every team had a celebrity, I mean the baseball players, the football players we had, I mean there were some big names obviously, entertainers, astronauts. I mean it was a phenomenal weekend.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: How long did did? What year?
Speaker 2: I guess I should ask this, what year did Phil Harris get that started?
Speaker 3: There?
Speaker 5: We started it in nineteen seventy nine. Wow, and Bill he came back until the year that he passed away, which seems to me was about nineteen ninety three or ninety four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And just I've mentioned this a little bit earlier to the younger audience. They may not get it, but it was a who's who stage and screen going back to the fifties and the sixties.
Speaker 3: It was Yeah, No, it was well, you know.
Speaker 5: Everybody, even the younger generation today, they remember the movie Jungle Book and you know Phil Harris, he had a gold record for the song bar Necessities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's incredible. Think about that, and people probably don't. Now that's why we're educating them on this. But I brought that up a little bit earlier with Tommy John in mine because you know, everybody would obviously remember that of Bob Knight, and I know Bob Knight was a part of that for a number of years as well, the lay great Indiana coach. But wow, it was just it was something back then. It really was. Yep, it was all right, hell things going down in Franklin for you too, you guys stand dry.
Speaker 5: You know what, We're very fortunate compared to what a lot of people are dealing with. But yeah, we're hanging in there and looking forward to good weather this week and hopefully get things going again.
Speaker 2: That is Ted Bischip done in Franklin, and if you want to play some golf, go down there to just an incredible course and have a great time. And tell Ted that we sing legends down in Franklin also the host back in April of what was a incredible fan golf outing. Man, I can't thank you enough for everything you do, and thanks for you know, looking back at somebody you knew very well and Tommy John. I thought, well, I was thinking over the weekend. You know, obviously you hooked me up with Tommy John about five years ago, and I thought maybe I should get you on to talk up just exactly what people may not know about him as an athlete, because it was more than just the Tommy Todd surgery itself.
Speaker 5: Well it was, and it's been interesting to listen to a lot of interviews. I just watched when the Bucky Dent did a few minutes ago, and just the respect and admiration that all his teammates had for him, particularly with the Yankees, but obviously the Dodgers and any of the teams that he played for.
Speaker 3: I mean, he really was. He was a great guy.
Speaker 2: Ted.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you man. We'll be in touch again really soon.
Speaker 2: And if you see our good friend Don Fisher before I do, congratulate him on that honor this past weekend.
Speaker 1: That was something oh I absolutely will all right, Thanks Ted.
Speaker 2: Thanks that's Ted Bishop of the Legends down in Franklin on the Andy Morron at one Off Group potlined. Caleb's over there, John right here, by the way. We need to bring up Caleb going to the Is it the Cincinnati Open? What is it called the Masters? It is called the Cincinnati Open.
Speaker 1: You had it right, the Cincinnati Open.
Speaker 2: You saw play tennis yesterday back in the day prior to the US Open. You had lead ups, and Indy was always in a matchup, a battle, if you will, for that top layer of talent with Cincinnati. Now Indy has disappeared. Yeah, yeah, I will say this, John.
Speaker 4: I know this isn't a tennis show any means, but it's it's pretty fun.
Speaker 2: It's my first time ever watching it. And who'd you see yesterday in Cincinnati Cocoa Golf and.
Speaker 4: Then the number one player in the world, Arena Sabolenka, So that was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: And he also played hoop with us yesterday at Center Grove Central before you went to Cincinnati, and he went all stinky and sweaty and be ol ridden.
Speaker 4: Hey, and I was thinking about that because you made fun of me right before I left. I was like, hey, we were outside all day and it was hot and interesting cologna. Yeah, but it didn't matter because once I got there it was the same thing.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, everybody had bo just like you. You're all good. That'd be fun right there. Yeah. Hey, there was a time and I blank you not And we could talk about this with Greg when he joins US tomorrow. Greg Reigsdraw did radio play by play on the former nine to fifty Sports station with the late Bud Collins, who was one of the if not the most noted tennis experts and analysts on the planet and maybe of all time. It was Greg and Bud Collins doing tennis play by play on the radio, which I have no I still like Greg could do anything play by play on the radio, but it was shocking. I got what he and Bud Collins doing it. It was incredible. The Thomas Rhett and Disco Lines concerts at Live Golf Indie, which is going to be hosted coming up this week in Westfield, the concerts have been canceled. Live Golf made that announcement quote due to unavoidable changes in the entertainment program. That doesn't sound great. So Thomas Rhat and Disco Lines, we're headlining the concert at Live this week. Caleb canceled.
Speaker 6: That's a bummer.
Speaker 2: Cancel is Amber. So we talked to Ted Bishop about this a little bit earlier. He was surprised that the tournament was going to go off. Gonna makes you wonder if it is. And certainly it looks like it's going to be the last tournament this season and maybe the last of all time.
Speaker 1: Is that what people were saying right now to.
Speaker 2: The rumor, but Ted did say that there's funding. There's funding they're gonna find. Supposedly, I need to find some funding too. Yeah. I think we all need to find funding. Can anybody find us funding on the Andy Moore Automotive Group hotline. We'll be up there with him coming up on Thursday for the first time a drop light at Grant Park that is one of the joint get togethers with the Atlanta Falcons.
Speaker 1: Coming up on Saturday.
Speaker 2: At his preseason game two with the Falcons from ESPN, Stephen Holder joins us.
Speaker 1: Hello, Steve even, how are you?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 6: There we go? Sorry, I was muted that is.
Speaker 2: Right there, So yeah, you to put me on you. I gotta mute this of it. I got to either come on or this guy's got to shut up, or something's got to happen.
Speaker 6: No, oh, good good. I went to that Cincinnati Open last year for the first time. By the way, uh the tennis tournament. It was a good time. A friend of mine in Cincinnati had does the whole like, I guess they call it a season ticket. Yeah, big tennis fan. And so I went and spent a day. I did the day session and part of the night session and if you if you like tennis, and I get it's a little bit of a niche sport, but if you like tennis, even if you don't, but if you like tennis, you have to go because it's all the heavy hitters play. It's a big deal. So I did not know that upon or prior to going, but I saw basically the top three or four players in the world.
Speaker 2: I'm men and women, and that's what Caleb did yesterday, And I for one would love it if there would be a resurgence in tennis interest as it was when I was growing up. I just I don't know if that's going to be in the cards. But when I was growing up, I mean, now, we knew the top twenty men and women, and I'd scrambled to give you like five in both groups right now.
Speaker 6: And it's really I think it's really boiled down to a very simple explanation, because I I'm with you. I remember being home in the summer from school and I'm watching all of Wimbledon, I'm watching the French Open, all that stuff, and it was a big deal to you, and I knew all the top players, and I think the simple explanation is just that, particularly on the men's side, you had a lot of American men and they were good, you know, the likes of Peak Sampers and guys like that, and I was, I mean, I was an avid follower back then. I can't say that today, and you know, things change, but I do think that's part of it. That's a really big part of it.
Speaker 2: I think I would love to know this if I were to just lobbed this question out there, what is the greatest because this is all the Cincinnati Open and what used to be here in Indy was a precursor or lead up tournaments in preparation for the US Open in Queens, which is coming up at the end of this month in early September. I guess, but what is the greatest US Open tennis memory all time? For anybody? What would be the first thing I would guess this. I would guess it would be in nineteen ninety one and Jimmy Conners and Aaron Cricket.
Speaker 1: That would be my guess.
Speaker 2: And I think that stands the reason as to why maybe a lot of people would suggest it's out of side, out of mind, because we have to go back to nineteen ninety one I bet a lot of people, especially in my age demographic, would reference that as their fondest memory of all time of that tournament.
Speaker 6: Right, I mean, well, that tells you all you need to know. I mean, that was like three generations ago, right, I mean not quite, but it was a long time ago, right, I mean nineteen ninety one. I was in like the tenth grade, you know what I mean. So what are we talking about, you know? And so yeah, I mean there's a whole, like a whole generation of kids that have come along after you and me that never you know, it was never even in there in their thought process, you know, because there was just no there was no one close to home for them to root for, and that that kind of needs to change, you know. I saw, I think I saw it was it Ben Shelton out there last year, and so like he had a big crowd cheering for him, and like that was a hot ticket, you know, to get in get a seat for his match, you know. But you know he's kind of like just on the outside of like the really elite players, you know, so you need you need a home team guy, you know. That's why I think it boils.
Speaker 2: Down to, Yeah, his he has a link to Carmelts Ben Shelton, does I think his his mom I think grew up in Carmel, Did she not? I believe Been Shelton the player did. Can you, hey, Caleb when you look that up? I believe that, and that that should be something that you would think we'd be talking about a lot around here. But that just kind of shows you where Tennis is in the grand scheme of things. I guess that is what I thought. I thought that his mom was from Carmel originally.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, anyway, hopefully maybe he's maybe he can figure it out. We'll see.
Speaker 2: Stephen Holder of ESPN is with us, speaking of figuring things out. Is this a comfortable slash confident place the Colts are in with their wide receiving group right now? I know they brought a trio in at some point in the past forty eight hours or so, check them out and then then then send them on their way. Are they comfortable with the way this is going? Would they be comfortable and going with an extra tight end starting the season? And where are we with the thought of participation of like Pierce in week number one? Just kind of a really a couple of questions right here regarding the wide receivers of the colt to start the season.
Speaker 6: So I think as to your first question in terms of what is their comfort level with the wide receivers? Are they comfortable with their current wide receivers? I would say they are more comfortable than they were maybe when camp started. Okay, and that's also true of me just observing them. I see a scenario where, okay, there are that trio of guys does have some playmaking ability. We're not talking about the first option and out when the trio being you know, the likes of Ashton Doing, you know, Lakwan Treadwill, Nick Westbrookakine collectively, you can get some plays from that trio, right The problem is I won't trust it on a play to play basis. You know, I think over the course of three weeks of training camp, yes they've all made some plays, but can they do it at the moment of truth, you know, when with a game on the line. Not that they're the first option in that situation, but I'm just saying, you know, if they are called upon in that situation, do you count on those guys? Can you count on those guys? Any of those guys to make the play that you need, and I don't think that's a position I want to be in ideally, right, So I guess in terms of feeling comfortable, as I said, more comfortable because they've they've all stepped up at different times in camp. But I don't know that that's the end all be all. I do think so a couple other things you mentioned personnel, will they use the tight end more? I think yes, absolutely. You will probably see a little more of the two tight end sets. You may even see some three tight end sets, you know, with one wide receiver in a running back you might. You know, you might see them be more involved in the passing game. You know, we will see. But the big question, though is the one you mentioned last, and that is Alec Pierce. And whereas he yesterday was one month out from opening day, so we are now three weeks and six days out today from opening day. That is a fair amount of time, but he's got to get back soon. I don't think you can drag this out another couple of weeks and feel good about it, Like if he's not going to be out there this week, I don't anticipate any of that. So I think you're talking about next week at the earliest. After this preseason game, they get back to practice. I believe a week from today. I would love to see him out there on next Monday, but I certainly can't guarantee it.
Speaker 2: You do you think he'll play in weight number one?
Speaker 6: I don't have reason to say otherwise right now, But time is ticking. I think a month to go. A month is a long time, okay, Like like, there are a lot of injuries you can come back from in a month.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 6: The difference here is that this is a long term thing, so it's harder to gauge, right. I mean, if you if you spraying an ankle, they're going to tell you, you know, two to four weeks or something, right, you can narrow it down a little bit because it's not a severe in injury. This is a surgery that required many months of recovery, so it's harder to pin down the recovery timeline. He's he is coming up on five months, and it was a four to six month recovery. If he takes six months, well damn it, they're in trouble, okay, because that takes you in the week one. If he can do five and a half months. They can probably figure this out, but it really just boils down to how close he is. They say he's close, What does close mean? You know what I mean, when we're talking about a six month deal? What does close mean? Does close mean next week? Does it mean next month? That's the thing that's really hard to really determine right.
Speaker 2: Now, tes Stevenholder of ESPN, ESPN dot Com colts. Of course, a couple of days off, get back at at the joint practices with the Falcons leading up to Saturday and that matchup preseason Game two with the Falcons at Lucas Oil Stadium. So I get the sense that they didn't like any of the guys at wide receiver they brought in so far. Is that true?
Speaker 6: It would appear, I think, Listen, they would have to not only be a better option than what they have, but also be equipped to quickly pick up the system and be comfortable in it and productive in it. And that's a lot to ask, you know, for guys that are just kind of guys, you know what I mean. And so excuse me, I didn't anticipate they would make a move there, but I think they've They've had a couple of guys get banged up and they know, you know that they have to be ready to make a move if called upon, just for for depth purposes. So, uh, that's what I think you're seeing there. You're also seeing maybe a reaction to the preseason and and maybe guys who did or did not make enough plays in camp in this first preseason game, and so you've got to consider your options even when it comes to the practice squad. So you just you just need to know what's out there. So I think that's what that was. And I would lastly just say, Keenan Allen, I haven't turned the page on that yet, so I would say keep that book open into the side, so I don't.
Speaker 2: And with that in mind, obviously he's a guy that has has done a lot and we've seen that he's got that on his resume. Is this coming down to a dude that doesn't need this this layer, this level of training camp? Is it something monetarily they're trying to side step until the start of the season. Are they unsure? Why would that not? Because to me, I view this category as something you're going to have to do, you need to do now, it's going to have to happen at that position sooner rather than later. Why has there not been any interest and or any sort of movement regarding Keenan Allen. Why would that make sense?
Speaker 6: Well, I wouldn't say there's been no interest there. They definitely have talked, that's for sure. Now, why hasn't it happened?
Speaker 3: Certainly? Right?
Speaker 6: A fair question. I would say what you said earlier about there being a feeling that maybe he doesn't need a full training camp. I think that's probably accurate. I don't know how the Colts feel about it, but it does appear that Keenan Allen feels that way. I would think, so, you know, we'll see what happens. I think I think that that is a position that just about everybody involved feels that way to some degree. Right, that we can we can do this right before the season and it could still work. That doesn't mean they're going to do it. I don't know. All I'm saying is I think his absence in training camp is not a disincentive to sign him. Does that make sense? Yeah, it could still happen, for sure, but again, consistent evaluation going on there. I don't know how long they want to keep evaluating I think this is your last week of evaluation, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I thought there was something monetarily involved too, if they were apparent the roster this way, that you have to pay more money than you would if they weren't a pont.
Speaker 6: No, I don't think. I don't think money's a factor here, Not to my knowledge, I don't think money is a factor. I just think it's about, you know, does he want to do it? You know, do the Colts definitely want to go down this road? You know, those kinds of things. I would just say, though, you know, they talk about wanting to take a look a longer look at this wide receiver group personally, as I just said, I think this is the last week for really looking at these guys. I'm not saying like next week doesn't matter at all, but it certainly matters a lot less. You got two joint practices against the Falcons, like you're going to see these guys go up against first team defenders from another team, and then the preseason game. You won't get starters there, You'll have the backups play. Next week. You might get a little bit of a dress rehearsal, but I mean, at this point, coming out of this weekend, You've got to know most of your fifty three. I feel like, So that's kind of where I'm at with it.
Speaker 1: What do you think Anthony Richardson Senior would ever have.
Speaker 2: To do to change the notion of his head coach? Because obviously in yeah, I don't blame him because that's what you witnessed as the coach. But what would he have to do or do something consistently to change the notion that the head coach has on him right now just in general of his quarterback?
Speaker 6: Well, he for now he I think he's doing the only thing he can do right now, which is just you know, show show something I thought he did. I really liked what he did in the preseason game. I mean there's always going to be some Anthony Richard Richardson isms, Okay, in every game he plays, even when he plays well, right, and so the fumble, it's like, all right, man, you did so much good, you know, and still you managed to to kind of get yourself a little bit of you know, a demerit if you will. So I just think he's doing the only thing he can do, which is to kind of put some points on the board, you know, and figuratively and you know literally right, and and I think in a bigger sense, the answer to your question is, if he's falled upon this year, he has to come through. Really, this is really that simple. If he's called upon to play this year, and god knows, the odds are in favor of it happening, right, Okay, can we just like just go ahead and say it, right, the odds are in favor of it happening. Daniel Jones injury history is ugly. It's ugly, and I and I think the world of Daniel Jones, but we got to call it what it is, right this the guy rarely plays a full season. So if and when Anthony Richardson has called upon and they haven't named in the number two quarterback, but when that happens and he's called upon the play, he has to come through. And I think that is how you begin to change the narrative both outside the building and inside the building with your own coach.
Speaker 2: So Steven and it was Rick Venturi brought this up on the pregame huddle and we kind of got into it, not got into it, but we got into this subject matter because he had thought Richardson he would like to see him be utilized in a bit of the form of a Hill has with the Saints. And I've often wondered this too, and I thought Rick made a good point as to why you you have this type of talent, but obviously you have a lot of things that have held him back from being that starter as we have witnessed. And you have the the king of gamesmanship as a coach in Gadgetry as an offensive coach. Why has he not been utilized or why could he not be or why does there not seem to be any interest in Richardson Senior being utilized in that capacity?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So I had this this very conversation with Rick, and I tend to agree with him. I think that if he's going to be on your roster, and you, by now, if you're the Colts, you've paid him. I think, like, I don't remember the number, but it's like almost thirty million dollars, right, So what are we doing? You know what I'm saying, like, let's get something out of it? Right, So I'm totally in favor of that. I think he not only could do it, but I think he would add a wrinkle that teams have to prepare for, and Shane loves that kind of thing. I also think that when Richardson is on the field, the difference it makes for Jonathan Taylor is huge. Now, Jonathan Taylor had a great season last year without Anthony Richardson, So I'm not saying that his success depends on this. But think about short yardage situations. You get into a you know, and this is where Shane loves to push the envelope and at least show that he's going to go for it right on fourth downs. You think about a fourth down situation where third and short situation, you bring Anthony Richardson into the game, you got Jonathan Taylor behind him, it's third and short. If I'm the defense, this could be read option, This could be just a straight you know, running back dive. This could be I mean, it could be anything, right and so, I mean he could roll out and and throw it. You could talk about, you know, putting the defense on its heels. I think that has a lot of potential and it's got to be something there at least thinking about you would think.
Speaker 2: Well, he runs all that gadgetary with Tyler Warren. I just he just he seems to me like he's the king of that stuff. Yeah, I thought maybe you would utilize it. It just doesn't seem like he has has any interest whatsoever in doing that.
Speaker 6: With Richardson so far hasn't been the case. I would say, you saw it back with Jacoby Brissette when Andrew luck got healthy. You saw Frank Reich find ways to utilize Jacoby Brissette, who, by the way, is probably like twenty percent the athlete that Anthony Richardson is. Okay, and I love Jacoby, but like, let's be honest, right, Jacoby was big and powerful, and he was good at the QB sneaks and that kind of thing. But the potential and the possibilities with Anthony Richardson in those situations are far greater than they were with Jacobe Brissett, and they used that option I thought, you know, pretty regularly. So different coaching staff obviously, but I'm just saying, as a point of comparison, I agree with you.
Speaker 1: What is up with the Charvarius ward Back situation?
Speaker 6: Oh God, hopefully not much. No one's given a lot of clarity about it, which is I'm not saying, yeah, I'm not saying like he's he's done I have no idea, but I would love somebody to be like, hey, you know, call off the dogs. He's okay, this is not serious. And I just wish someone would say that, and they have not so far. It's just that, you know, we're monitoring him, we're evaluating him now, you know, Devil's advocate, Okay, he is so important to this whole thing, and and I think his situation is so delicate right after last year. Yes that if he's got a broken nail, he's not going to be out there, right. I mean, you have to assume that even if he's ninety five percent and we're a month out from the season, you probably tell him take a couple more days, big guy, you know, So I understand being I would be, I would be in favor of being unbelievably cautious, overly cautious with him. That being said, I just would like to have some peace of mind, or hear some peace of mind that this is not going to be a long term thing. I mean, he is a thirty year old corner and you know that's when things start to crop up and they don't heal us quickly and so age it's not on the concussions, but also age is something we can't completely overlook there as well.
Speaker 2: The one thing that concerns me more than anything else, and it is completely understandable, is what he has been through and the fact that he had, according to him for a various ward, he had a foot out the door. He had a foot into retirement. That is always a concern because it has often been said and measured that if you've had a foot in retirement, then your entire body is and it makes it easier to make that decision the next time it swings around that that among just what he has gone through, and again understandably so is one of my major concerns.
Speaker 6: I mean, look, I don't know, I think you're being a little dramatic. I mean, have you ever seen a guy retire in training camp?
Speaker 2: I well, too soon? Yeah, thanks, thanks, yeah.
Speaker 6: But no, I mean I get it, and I'm not to be flipping about you know, Mooney's situation certainly, like I mean, a tragic situation two years ago with his daughter, But you know, I think this is that's that's still a factor. But this is also I think his his circumstances right now are mostly about like do you still want to do this? Do you still love this? And and the thought of walking away from it apparently reinforced to him that he does. And I was heartened the last time I talked to him, the way he talked about, you know, his his appreciation and his zeal for being out there. It made me feel like, all right, he's really into this now, right. And and he mentioned how, you know, when he started his offseason workouts on his own, his private workouts, how you know, he was working out with other NFL players and younger players and running circles around him.
Speaker 3: And I believe him.
Speaker 6: You know, he looks good out there when he's healthy, and so he really got sort of like energized by that. So he mentally he has been in a really good place. Okay, but you know, those these little things, these little setbacks, you know, they're they're not good for for that mental state, you would imagine, you know, So hopefully nothing serious.
Speaker 2: Stephen Holder of esp and ESPN dot Com Talking Colts will be up at Droplight at Grant Park, Westfield coming up on Thursday for this show, and DeForest Buckner will join us. This question is not about Deforce Buckner, however, it is about defensive line and Kayden Curry. I'm biased. I want to see him and I want to see him thrive. I was really excited the way that he played. And the one thing Stephen that I brought up is in comparison to that of Fernando Mendoza, they both in situations look like they did when they played at the highest levels in college. What was the colt's impression on the debut of Curry from what you've heard, Well, I.
Speaker 6: Mean, I think that's a huge step for him, right, And you know, the question for Curry, I think was he is he quick enough and and sort of you know, athletic enough to win on the edge. And then the other question was if you move him inside, is he big enough and strong enough to win in there? And you know, he ends up a lot or guys like him, they end up being a tweener, right, which is you know, you know, no one wants to ever be there, right. But I think what he did was he at least demonstrated that, like there's a role that he could potentially fill, and it's it's a third down pass rush role. And if you can achieve that, now he's still not there, right, He's got to do it against you know, the second the first and second deef excuse me, first and second offenses. He's kind of mostly been second team, third team so far. But if he if he can show that he warrants some opportunity against better competition, and then he does it again against that better competition, well, now you're cooking with gas. So I think that, to me is the question, and that has to be the next step. If you're the Colts, now you've got to find out. Okay, he did it against those backup, well, give him a chance, right, Let's see if he can go do it against the big boys, and that's going to be the next step in the progression for him. But I think you it gave them a vision for what he can be and what he can do, because you know, we talk a lot about what guys can't do good coaches, and Shane has I talked to him about this. He's like, you know, good coaching is finding out what someone can do, which you know, frankly, that kind of relates back to the Anthony Richardson conversation. I suppose, right, But anyhow, I digress, But I think that's what they got to do here. I love the idea of getting him more reps against better competition, and let's see if he can do it. If he can't do it, maybe he goes to the practice squad and we try again next year. Right, but let him try. And they need it, They need all the contributions they can get up front right now.
Speaker 2: So, Steven Older of ESPN and ESPN dot com, I will see you up at drop Light Grand Park coming up on Thursday. Man, thanks as always for hopping on here.
Speaker 6: All right, you got it, Stephen Holder
Speaker 2: Of ESPN on ESPN dot com some the Andy Moore Automatic Group Potline