Speaker 1: What's up y'all. This Sunday, February fifteenth, at three pm Eastern Standard Time, the FPS crew will be giving their top five rom coms of all time live on YouTube. So fresh off the heels of Valentine's Day, come check out the crew as they give their thoughts on some of the most romantic or romantic and funny films that they have seen and feel deserved to be in the top five rom comms of all time. So tell a friend, to tell a friend, or tell that friend that you had Valentine's Day with to come check us out. Leave your comments, join the conversation. Whether you agree, disagree, or even give honorable mentions in the chat, we would love to have you again. That's this Sunday, February fifteenth, live on YouTube at three pm Eastern Standard Time. Top five Romantic Comedies of all time. See y'all there.
Speaker 2: The frames per Second Podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode of the Fan Second Podcast. I'm hout of the evening. My name is Mike. Next to me, I have Spike across the spike, I have Ken Ken, I have Rod, and we are doing a movie that Jalen made us do and it's called sentimental value, and we're doing this movie because it was nominated for an Oscar. I meant to look up what it was nominated for. Does anybody know it?
Speaker 3: Because remember we kept saying it and we were like, geez, I can look it up real quick.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, Jalen is also making me host this because wait, I thought the director was that's Hamnet. Oh that's the one I fucked up. Okay, I didn't fuck this one up. The director for this one is Joaquin Treer. Okay, okay, I think it's Joachem Jockam. I don't know, but yeah, sentimental value, Best Picture, Best Actress, and Thennette probably uh for.
Speaker 3: Rennette supporting Actors for stealing Scars guard and l Fanning and another supporting actress, and several Golden Globe nominations. So it got non Academy Award nominations Jesus Christ, but.
Speaker 1: It didn't win anything. That's happened. Well, since you're talking, Rod, what do you think of this movie? Oh? Yeah, what do you think of this book? You know? I hate it?
Speaker 4: Job, Well, I guess Jalen is the Cobrit because yeah, for several reasons that I don't want to get into that we had a discussion.
Speaker 1: It needs to because that ship was I was in my house in literal tears. I told every word of it was so funny. I'm trying to tell you, man.
Speaker 4: But yeah, y'all know, man, I'm not a big, a big fan of subtitles.
Speaker 1: Without a lot of action or whatever.
Speaker 4: Because you know, action can basically I don't really need subtitles for that, but like especially dialogue heavy stuff like I gotta read this ship. It took me three times to get through this movie. I fell asleep. I got so mad at you. I'm still Oh yeah, man, it took me three times to get through this movie. But I will say that it's elements of it that I do like that.
Speaker 1: I don't hate it. I don't hate it.
Speaker 4: I thought I thought it was a solid enough story, especially with the elements of you know, film direction and things like that.
Speaker 1: Y'all always know I'm interested in that.
Speaker 4: So so yeah, I didn't hate it, And I would just say I was glad that it wasn't all with no region. Yeah, it had some English elements in it, so I was like, all right, cool, all right, I could do.
Speaker 1: This, and then when we're back, you're like, God, damn it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was, like I thought every time I heard the American music, I thought it was gonna be English, but then they fucked me up.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh shit, is still no reason? Like what the hell? But nah, it was.
Speaker 4: It was alright enough balance and I liked that they played into that too in the story. Yeah, and I thought that was cool. So yeah, man, I thought I thought it was actually pretty solid once I finished it.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's pretty solid for rod Ken. What did you think of this moving?
Speaker 2: Funny thing is after we finished recording.
Speaker 3: I actually watched it that night while I was editing whatever we recorded Thursday, because it took two hours to get through all of that. So by the time I finished the movie, I was down with editing and uploading the thing. So it really helped past the time by watching it.
Speaker 1: Wait, so you watched it was editing at the same time. Oh you see my monols? Right? Yeah? I have, but see that. But see, that'd be my dilemma because I gotta read the text.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean I could glance over and yeah and read real quick and then glance back over it.
Speaker 1: I'm shaking. They gonna get you again. I've been told y'all. That was the thing that they said piss them off the most is when y'all talk about how you watch it and don't pay attention because you're over the multitasking. Did you like the movie?
Speaker 2: Fine, No, we can, we can, uh, we can take that out there.
Speaker 1: No, No, that you make a good point.
Speaker 3: But but I wasn't able to pay anyway.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, because I was waiting for something meaningful to happen.
Speaker 4: When happened because details and the dollars, so I was all in.
Speaker 3: I was like it was going somewhere because I was so confused.
Speaker 1: When I read the thing, and I'm like, okay.
Speaker 3: So the fathers, the mom's dad, the father's gonna come back and they're gonna have this friction and it's gonna be between them.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't.
Speaker 2: It took place with him over there, her over here, and and there was never.
Speaker 3: This real big sort of thing that took place because it was all through l Fanning's character, I guess. So when it was over, I was like, okay. But when I was going to sleep after I was done, I kept thinking about it, like it kept it stayed. The movie fucking stayed with this nice I couldn't get it out of my head because I'm like, there has to be more to this film than just that for it to receive all of these nominations. I know, I'm going a long way around about did I like it or not? And I don't think it was bad, but there was something. I feel like there's something there. I just don't know what it is. It felt like it was more profound. I just don't know what it is. But for the most part, when I was down, I was like.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: I was, yeah, I'm sorry, but I feel like there's something.
Speaker 1: I feel like I don't even need to ask this question. Do you don't have to? What did you think of this? Dude?
Speaker 5: You mean like a great Swedish film about filmmaking that I have to read the dialogue?
Speaker 1: Did I like it was trade? Jalen should have been on Jalen should have been on this review to talk about this ship man. You're right, I don't think it was trash. It's not okay, I.
Speaker 5: Know, but from what it was, I get what y'all have saying. I'd like that they made the house of character.
Speaker 1: That was cool. I'm not trying to I want people to know how much. I did not enjoy this. I think it's I still think it's trash. And I was like what Ken said, like all this for nothing, like what the funk happened. So it's a weirdly written story.
Speaker 5: To me, it is anyway, But I mean I like how they told it, like through film telling, like through being a director, and give them like reconciling through that, and it would have not reconciling but just kind of getting to know each other.
Speaker 3: They took a long way around to get to the point, but go ahead, Mike.
Speaker 1: I did not want to fucking watch this at all. I was definitely cursing, jailing out when I hit play, and that motherfucker said two hours and thirty something minutes. And usually that kind of thing is fine because I can watch it while I work, so I don't mind. But I couldn't do. I didn't know it was subtitled because it's stelling Scarsguard. I know he's not from here, but I've mostly known him from like andoring shit, so I was like, okay, an el Fanny. So I didn't know it was a Norwegian film, y'all. I can't front I was I was in it. I was in it. Here's the problem. I would never watch this again. I never watched this again. I do think it was a beautiful film. I think the story was beautiful. I think the dialogue was beautiful. I think the way they shot it was beautiful. But it is absolutely not something I would ever hit play on again because it's too goddamn long. Like in Rod's words, it's offensively long, and I don't think the length was justified in my personal opinion. But I still think it was a beautiful film. So Ken's looking at me like I'm out my goddamn mind. So let's go ahead and jump into this.
Speaker 3: Not necessarily because again, like I was, you know something there when I was going to sleep, I was just thinking about the movie as a whole, and I'm sure we're gonna break it down. So so I'll let you go ahead and get started.
Speaker 1: So we're out here all day. Well, I will say this, and this can stay if you want it to, and it can come out if you want. It doesn't matter to me depending on where you watched it. The subtitles were fucked up, Yes, they were fucking up genders and they were leaving out certain sentences. So if you if you actually paid the nine ninety nine on Amazon, the subtitles were fine, but I was actually reading online that the subtitles on other platforms were all fucked up. Yeah, so I could see even if you were trying to pay attention, if you went to a certain platform, the subtitles were completely off. Do you have to use context clues? So that could be part of the reason why y'all were just like, nothing's happening, or it could just be that this shit was boring and nothing fucking happened. So, yeah, the beginning tells the story of the house and the generations of a family within it. Spike, what'd you think of that? The opening narrated part, I thought I was going crazy because it's with no subtitles on them I heard.
Speaker 5: At first, So I'm like, ixt in real time, and y'all like, is just what They're not speaking English?
Speaker 1: What's going on? They're not even going to like explain us what they said.
Speaker 5: Then I had to look it up and realize that it was in a different line.
Speaker 3: I don't want to help jailing out, yeah, because he's probably gonna have to edit most of the because you don't want to say that, like the fact.
Speaker 1: That we watched the bootleg. I kind of had to pay ninety nine for it. Oh, I couldn't watch the ship. I couldn't watch this ship. I paid for it. I take that back then.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it was fine. The house being a part of the store I thought was cool.
Speaker 1: Though, Okay, Rod, Yeah, yeah, I mean I wasn't annoyed.
Speaker 4: I wasn't annoyed, but but I did see that they were taking time on the way they were shooting it, so that that part was intriguing seeing them. I think they started off very early on showing the dynamic of the family or whatever, and I'm trying to listen to the family arguing, and so I knew that was gonna be a big part of the story.
Speaker 1: So that was intriguing. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I think we're gonna probably end up having a good discussion about the movie overall, because I think there are elements here. But just the beginning, I was like, oh shit, the fucking house on it, I.
Speaker 1: Thought, you always I'm like, oh, this is about to be good. I mean, the Gambner said it. They acted like the house was a person.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, but taking the house now for the movie, like you can see like the house and it's built and you get in there and then there's all the arguing and stuff, and then you see the cracks in the house, which were you know, of course, visually used to represent what's going on within the relationship and this family structure. So they did a good job of kind of setting that up in the beginning, using the house, you know, as as an establishing character about where they eventually went and uh, and how we're gonna start to where we end.
Speaker 1: Yes, so you did pick that up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was paying attention to the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I thought the opening dialogue was really interesting and and same with you. I like that they focus on the crack, and they didn't specifically say why they were focusing on the crack, But once you get to the end of the movie, you realize why they were putting so much emphasis on the the structural issue, because it wasn't just the crack. It starts on the outside. It shows there's an issue with the foundation of the house, and then it goes in. You see the crack goes all the way up the wall. And I like how it did that, and it kind of I can't remember exactly what it said, but it kind of gives the implication that the house is a character in the story, so I like that. But yeah, then it jumps forward do we meet adult Nora who's acting in a play. What did y'all think of this scene and her panic attack? This is good too.
Speaker 4: It reminded me of Black Swan, how she was having that attack, like it was almost like an attack that she would I guess it was an attack that she was having a Black.
Speaker 1: Swan, but it reminded me of that. And then when she finally performed, I was like, whoa damn. That was good.
Speaker 4: And I like how they didn't show the whole performance, but you still knew that shit, and they did that throughout the film too, so I thought that.
Speaker 1: I thought that was cool.
Speaker 3: Yep, the pan attacks and hopefully by the time we get to the end of it was one of the things that I went back to when I got to the end of the movie and there was something else that happened that show why that was important because there were things that we didn't know until we got towards the end, but you know, it was establishing that something was wrong with her. She was messed up, but she was highly skilled in what she was able to do, and they after talk her down, talk off the ledge, get her out there, and when she got out there, she killed it, and uh and she was all she was.
Speaker 2: She was good again, you know from what we've.
Speaker 3: Seen, you know, throughout the rest of the movie.
Speaker 2: But later on it was something about the painting.
Speaker 3: If we'll get there, and I can remember what it was that I thought was really that it was a really really important piece to the movie.
Speaker 5: M I thought it was just well, I thought she was gonna mess so the same. But then once she went out there and killed it, like what you said, Roder, I figured it was part of her process, like how some actors have these routines that they do before they go do it.
Speaker 1: So I attributed to a process versus what it eventually, I didn't think about that. Yeah, I didn't think about that either, especially once we get to the end and we see what kind of person she is, which we will get to. You would love to have more content from Frames per second. Become a patron where you can contribute to what we review and discuss. Our Patreon gives the listeners the power to nominate and vote a monthly discussion in film review, while also nominating and voting on weekly solo reviews from each cast member. You also get the opportunity to vote on the publicly released anniversary film all exclusive to our Patreon, So become a patron at patreon dot com frames per second where there are two tiers you can choose from. That's patreon dot com forward slash frames per second. Yeah, I thought this scene was great. It was great acting. It was a bit long, but panic attacks can last that long, so I think they just wanted to sit with it, So I liked it. But after that it jumps again to what is the funeral of Agnes and Nora's mother Agnes sorry is Nora's sister. Unexpectedly, they're a strange father. Gustav played by Stelling Scar's garb my home boyfriend andor shows up. Rob. What were you picking up about their relationship that it was a bit strange, a strange relationship.
Speaker 4: But I kind of got that from the beginning, like I was saying, because you can hear them arguing and things like that, so you knew something happened between the parents. And then just like from how she was just like, yo, he's here, why is he here? So I knew it was in a strange relationship. When he showed up, I just didn't know how that was going to play into the story.
Speaker 1: I didn't know, you know. So I like how that played into the story personally clearly.
Speaker 2: It's almost like they haven't seen each other in a while.
Speaker 3: He saw her, he kind of wanted to go, uh consoler, but he opted out and uh went off and she was walking around taking this little boy to a tour of the house, and she was telling the story of how they used the fireplace as a way to kind of hear things that were that were going on. She was giving her a version of of the story of their past.
Speaker 2: She almost made it sound like it was a good thing.
Speaker 3: And then she started to listen and then the things he was saying almost was a reminders slash trigger to what life was like when they lived.
Speaker 2: In the house, and that she was like, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, we got to go.
Speaker 1: And that's where she went down and basically cuss.
Speaker 3: The South like oh, I ain't know who's gonna be here, et cetera. And then they kind of went and had this sort of weird sort of you know, reconnection.
Speaker 1: Yeah I forgot about that part. Yeah, she it was.
Speaker 4: It was almost like she was startled because she was like, wait, she remember hearing that voice. So it was almost like you imagine like not knowing that motherfucker's there, then you open it up and you hear them, Yeah that's that's yeah, I'm meant to bring that up again.
Speaker 3: We go to the hot house part of it, like you didn't know here and then you hear it.
Speaker 1: Was like, oh shit, is that in her head?
Speaker 5: Y'all liked that you could tell that they were a strange, like she didn't mess with her dad. I wonder what the kid would play into it, So I was wondering, like, would that be the same way since he wasn't around with the kid feel the same way? Had they been talking bad about it or did he have a uniquely different relationship with which we said he did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I just picked up the Nora was really hurt by the estrangement, but Agnes was a bit more forgiving. So that was the part that I was more interested in. And I was wondering where that was going to go because it seemed like they didn't all the ways see eye to eye on how they should be treating him. So I thought that was going to be an interesting dynamic. But the next day, Gustav has brunch with Nora. He tells her he has something he wants to ask her and it's really important. So they meet up the next day where he offers her a role in a film that he's producing. Spike, what did you think about how that brunch went?
Speaker 5: As expected as far as how they treated him when he first got there. I didn't think that she would do it at all. I thought they would stick with that throughout the plot. I was surprised that she came around.
Speaker 3: Came around at the end. Okay, well, I mean after the loan. Yeah. Her reaction was it's almost like she was aware at the time of what she thought he was really asking.
Speaker 2: Was you want to use me because I'm really good to revive your career.
Speaker 1: That's how she looked at it.
Speaker 3: And he hasn't made a movie in a while, and I guess he has had a hidden while or whatever, but it's been a minute, and she was like, you don't really want to re establish a relationship with me. You want to use me for your own personal benefits, you know, And that's not a true daughter, you know, father relationship.
Speaker 1: So she got incredibly offended.
Speaker 3: And probably felt some kind of way seeing how gentle and kind he was with you know, the lady that came up that was serving them, you know, and she probably didn't see or have a lot of that when she was growing up. So to see that this version of this man that you dine grow up with, you know, probably also cause her that the way that she did. Yeah, she definitely resented him. What was the actual question though.
Speaker 1: Just where do you think how the brunch went? Oh? Yeah, yeah, I mean he pretty much cover Yeah. I thought this was interesting because he was kind of being a prick. He was being a bit of a condescending prick. Okay, you didn't, you didn't, I didn't get that house. Oh man. So he was basically trying to position it like she's better than doing this series that she's doing, and that she needs to come do his film. But he also said that he thinks what she does is amazing. She yeah, he thinks her acting ability is what is some bullshit? Yeah yeah, yeah, he said he thinks the script is shit, but you kill it right. But if you remember, she also says, I didn't even know you'd watch anything in mind because the last time you came you left her in intermission, and he was just like, oh, yeah, you were great, but that shit you were doing is whack. Basically, if somebody came to you and was like, oh, your camera work on Dead and hip Hop is great, but den hip hop as a show is whack, you're gonna be offended because that's some bullshit. It's like a backhanded compliment. That's why she hit him back with, well, now let's be real about this. You want me to resurrect your career because you don't got no fucking money, you don't have no funding. So I thought that whole dynamic was And it also comes out that he's been getting drunk and calling her and he's like, because I'm worried about you, and then she's like, I forbid you to be worried about me. I thought this whole scene was fucking dope.
Speaker 4: No, the same was dope. I just didn't take him as being a jerk though. I thought I thought he was just being honest. Well, yeah, I thought he was lying.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I did, so, you think, because I thought when she started to question him, he just was like, oh no, no, no, no, yeah, you're good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because the movie, No, I don't think he would have came to her if he thought she wasn't good. I think he was being truthful. He came and saw it, but he left during intermission. That's fucked up. Well you say he had his reasons. Yeah, his reasons were he didn't like the material. But she's like, this is doing well for me. So I'm doing well and you're shitting on what I'm doing because you think what you're doing is better. But you ain't done ship in a minute. But he was still there though he still show up. He left during intermission. But I'd have been like, I bet you not come at all. Then you show up and leave during intermission. You know what I'm saying, Like, this is my father and this is me in a play, and you left during intermission. You a bitch.
Speaker 2: Bro You a bit better than not show up at all than to show up partially.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'd rather you just not come at all than leave during intermission, unless unless you have like oh if you had like a fucking heart attack or some ship okay, or if you really had something serious to do. But if you're just like, hey, I didn't like the material, so I left. Fuck you, BROA was like I had to go. Why why did you have to go? You better tell me no, fuck that, then fuck you don't come to my ship, no more. Don't come to my ship no more. Not. I'm pretty sure he just implied that he didn't really fuck with the material. I thought it was something else. And that's why I think that's why she got mad, because she's like, you're you're downplaying what I'm doing, but you ain't doing shit, right Yeah? So anyway, so and if you remember, just cut in, Gustav attends a film festival. One of his older films is being shown, and there he meets up with the actor Rachel Kemp, who's played by el Fanning. Her film is also being screened there, and after a bit of bonding on the beach, he tells her all about his movie. And then fast forward and we see Agnes and nor are discussing which of their mother's belongings to get rid of from the house, but Gustav shows up with Rachel to show her the home. Spike, what do you think of this scene? Ted?
Speaker 5: It was gonna be beef even though she turned it down. I knew she would have a problem and she hadn't read the script anything like that. Either she had not read the script, neither one of them mad, So I knew.
Speaker 1: It would be beef. Since beef. Where did y'all since beef with the other? I just she left with beef with and it's a beef with Nora. Nora. Nora left no bound bound. She didn't give it, like she didn't want to be around there, like whatever, I don't give a ship. Yeah, yeah, I didn't. I didn't since beef.
Speaker 3: It was some tension or it was definitely a little bit on comfort.
Speaker 4: I guess I was paying more attention to the walk the actual walk through, because he was like he wanted to do a Warner, which everybody is infatuated with winners right now one shots.
Speaker 1: But because every time it happens, y'all act like it's the greatest thing ever made. It is cool, but it just seemed like it's like overkilled Adolescens was Dodoo and y'll man, the whole thing was a Warner. It was a Warner. A Warner. It's like I drop a turd.
Speaker 4: It's a wonder was great and it has really good, really good performance.
Speaker 1: It was a tour you wouldn't get.
Speaker 4: But I was more interested in, like how he was just trying to describe. Well, I was interested that they were talking English, so I was happy about that.
Speaker 1: Yes, I thought it was gonna change, Okay, Yeah, I was just like because.
Speaker 4: Even before we got there, I know, you just kind of wanted all that together. Before we got there was a lot of English, a lot of stuff because they were in the States, I guess, or something like that.
Speaker 1: At first, was it a say so, I don't think it was in the States. I think it was just well, I don't know, actually, I don't know if that where the film festival was. Yeah, I don't know either.
Speaker 2: I thought he was just around English speaking people switched over.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I don't know. Yeah, so all of that was great. I was like, man, it was so man. When I tell y'all, it was so refreshing.
Speaker 1: It was so refreshing to follow in English.
Speaker 4: I was like, I know that sounds bad, and I'm sorry that it sounds bad, but it's just man, I know, and that's what it sounds like.
Speaker 1: Mad.
Speaker 4: I was just I'm English speaking, that's what you know. That's just a struggle for me. But anyway, so that part was was that and then I liked the element of him walking her through the scene or whatnot, and she and her kind of getting getting to character during that walk you kind of see her just trying to fill it out, become the character a little bit bit, a little bit before even you know, acted it out. So seeing the process of an actor and how they how they do things, I thought that was really cool.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 3: He was an asshole, and I liked seeing that because we saw it on the beach and we saw it again here when he walked in and they tried to walk in and he told him to go to.
Speaker 1: An offfee shop.
Speaker 3: He said, well, let's know, we're done, like yo, Like this dude is a jerk. But what I also thought was interesting was when he introduced Rachel Kimp to the daughter and before then they showed I guess that was a flashback to one of his earlier films that at played.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yes and right who No, It was Agnes and that was at the film festival, so it wasn't really a flashback. They were watching the film because this film was playing at the film festival. In the In the film, Agnes was playing the young girl, the one that was on the train. This is a mom, the mom, the sister that's a mom. Sorry, she got the chat. Yeah, this is a thicker one. Yeah, this that mom, not them mom. That's yeah, I know. But yeah, Agnes is the one that has like a kid. Yes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the other thing I wanted to point out to Like they did the same thing with that too, where it's just part of it.
Speaker 1: They did a lot.
Speaker 4: They did that a lot in this film where they didn't show the whole thing, but you know, it was like a great performance.
Speaker 1: So I thought that was cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because he because he walked up and he was like, oh, you recognize her, Yeah, you recognized him from my film? And she was super lion, super yeah, selfe.
Speaker 1: Lying motherfucker. And I was wondered watching him.
Speaker 3: I was like, is he trying to cover up this awkwardness in this moment or is he trying to give at in some sort of like some affirmation. Yeah, just like but was like, bruh, you don't recognize me child?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, but I thought that was interesting because I don't know what it what it all means, you know, why he did that to her or Rachel.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure he was doing that because he's trying to reconnect with them with both of the daughters, and I think he was just trying to this is an old, old dad, and of course that's what you're gonna do. It's like, you know, this is my thought regized her, don't you No, dude, I don't. I don't recognize her at all. What are you talking about? But no, I thought this whole scene was great when they're walking her through the house and then it's revealed, like my mother committed suicide in his house. As a matter of fact, she used that stool you're sitting. He jumped so good. She's like, what are you serious? But yeah, that that whole scene I thought was great because I was like, wait, what the fuck is wrong with you? Tell me that before we come in here.
Speaker 4: But then but then it was real. It was it was from IKEI. It wasn't like actual stud. I don't know if y'all saw that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he said it, though I missed that. That wasn't the stud Yeah, one of them said it. He ain't got to read That's what I'm saying. I read it. I guess I must have blinked right.
Speaker 2: That's because I think he said it to actnes No.
Speaker 4: But yeah, he said he didn't say it in English though, Oh well, when did this happen?
Speaker 1: Right after?
Speaker 4: It was right after she was just like He's like, he was like, yeah, I told her. You know that was the same stood that your mother hung herself phone. She's like the stud from Kia. You know what, I I do remember that.
Speaker 1: And I thought, ship, y'all, don't think I'm stupid. I thought, like, because I Kia, I think it's a place. So I thought, because they're in Norway or something, I assumed, And I think that's what it is, is a sweetish story. Yeah. I thought they were talking about it was a place they went. Never mind, I'm dumb. I did not even think at all that it was from the store. Ikea, Yeah, it's from the story. Wow. But that's how its spelled. It spelled like, you know, that changes the whole scene to me, the fucking asshole. But but it's still not you him, No, I get you. But I like that because it was still a very powerful moment. And then they and then they said it jokingly afterwards, I guess to lighten it up. And I guess it also shows one how manipulative he can be, and two how good he is. And like I'm going to get this actor in Tennis. Yeah, that's what he was.
Speaker 5: That's the whole PLA's what from it too that he was trying to push her, trying to push.
Speaker 1: Take that yo as was half asleep, had one op.
Speaker 6: Like CBS see me stressed, Spike, What did you think of the flashback that shows who Karen, which is Gustav's mother, actually was.
Speaker 1: In the war stories? Yeah, stuff like that. It was good. It was more interesting than a lot of it to me.
Speaker 5: I like hearing the history and then I liked their realization as to how it played off on them as the girls, So that was a nutation part of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was interesting because she was she was like an activist or something like that, right.
Speaker 1: She was protesting the w war and jailed for two years in the Nazi torture can Yeah, and see again.
Speaker 4: You had to kind of see that too, because I think it was like, yeah, you might see some disturbing images and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: But that was later. Oh that is that was later. This is just the flashback that they were showing of the mom being taken away. Oh yeah, I'm mixed the two things, okay, and the and the narrators is basically telling you.
Speaker 4: What happened gotch Yeah, yeah, but no was it was a good that's what said they did.
Speaker 1: They did some little things here to tie.
Speaker 4: They were really good at doing it in this film, not having to fully explain something, but you still kind of.
Speaker 1: Just got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, treating the audience is dumb. Yeah, yeah, you know, well.
Speaker 1: I mean I think they pretty much laid it out pretty much exactly what happened. They said that she was protesting the war. They showed the cops come and get her. Then they said she spent two years locked up in a Nazi torture camp for protesting the war.
Speaker 4: And all I'm saying they did that, but they did it very quickly and not a drawn out thing.
Speaker 1: Oh. I mean the movie is two hours ago. Yeah no, but some people are still drawing that type of shit out. Yeah, came backstory. Yeah. I like this scene because I just think the way that they filmed it was beautiful, especially when she was walking to go kill herself. You know, she says goodbye to the kids or whatever, and then she stands up out of that chair and then she's walking down that hall, and the way the cameras is following her walking down that hall and then she gets behind the door and she closes it and just goes to the next scene. But the next scene is where they're showing Gustav getting with Scil, which is I don't know if the sil or Scil having having kids, and then the fighting and him leaving. So they're basically showing how they've just had multiple generations in this same house and they aged them too. I thought that was weird.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I feel like they did it very slickly because they had him in a steel shot, so he just that. Yeah, they just it seemed like they just plastered new age face without having to do too much.
Speaker 1: Give in. Just get one of his kids because they do look like him. Yeah, get Scars Guard. Yeah, there's two other stars Guard. One of them, Bill doesn't look like him. Bill's the one that's from it. He doesn't look like him. But it's the other one, the what is his name, the really good looking one, the one that was in Infinity Infinity uh War, No, not Infinity War, the one with me of goth and stuff. Oh oh that's oh Ship, that's still I know that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's his son. Damn. I don't know if you look at him in the face long enough they do look see it now? Yeah, yeah, you say that. God, that's gonna bum What the name of that movie, which you wouldn't know because that's the movie about the blood roll right, but it wasn't about No, damn, I had it on my list. I want to say Infinity Stone, but it's that's sucking marble, something to do with some liquid infinity juice. No, they're talking about what she turned into the monster. Yeah, turned into a monk moster. No, not not not, It doesn't matter, It doesn't matter, It don't matter. I'll look it up. Yeah, you look at because that's gonna bug me. It's gonna bugby too. But let's move on. Norm meets up with Jacob and his friends and it seems like they this is the guy that was at the beginning that Infinity Pool about some liquid liquid. That's what I'm saying, liquid Infinity pool. Yeah. Norm heats up with Jacob and his friends and it seems like they've been actually creeping around. If you don't remember Jacob, Jacob was the guy at the beginning of it that had to slap her to get her to break out of her panic panic attack. But uh, she finds out that Jacob is there getting a divorce from his wife. What did you think about how she reacts and then how he dissed her? Man he could take that if he thought anything from him?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, absolutely. I was like, damn, she thought she was in a clear boy. She was like, we can be out there.
Speaker 1: We don't have the heart now. He was like, it was just a side talk about I'm not so sure, right, Yeah. Nah. I thought that was interesting because I didn't realize. Yeah, because was that.
Speaker 4: When it was first revealed that he was even Yes, because it made it seem like they were in a relationship.
Speaker 1: Thought.
Speaker 3: I thought it was revealed when they were when we first saw them in bed together, and she didn't realize he said something about.
Speaker 4: The wife or something like that. So yeah, they had mentioned it earlier. Yes, see again that's probably a subtitle that it was. It was, But that's what I'm saying, like with this type of stuff, like if I don't see it, I have to I have to have read.
Speaker 1: It in so Norwegian.
Speaker 4: Yeah I know, right, Yeah, but no, no, I thought it was not funny, But you know, I thought it was interesting that because I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just I just didn't expect her to be depicted that way and she would be cheating on them. Man, Yeah, like happening affair and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: But it kind of goes to you know, her depression and whatever, I'm just not happy.
Speaker 3: Or you know, I mean, I mean also her household was was kind of broken to.
Speaker 1: Rejection from her dad, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I could see her not seeking full comfort, you know, maybe going to the opposite.
Speaker 2: I think you can probably go one way or the other. You know, for her, it was.
Speaker 3: Like, you know, not looking to get something, not being fully committed to a thing, you know, but still feeling some sort of like dejection when when she was when she was refused, because she thought that was the opening, like this is it, we can finally be together, and she didn't get it, which I feel now thinking about it. This this almost played sort of a moment in the movie as we move on with a state that I think she entered. But it was fucked up what he did to her because he was getting a divorce and it's almost like he made it seem like either he did not want her or he was looking to get back together with his wife and they were going to try to mend fences and he didn't want to end that relationship.
Speaker 2: So but it was cold blood as fuck. That shit was funny to me.
Speaker 1: I'll take you this.
Speaker 5: He just didn't want her, not in that way. You're just like, so she was just over here being that. But as far as my wife like you, no, absolutely not. He was almost offended.
Speaker 1: She was right. I viewed it as more so he hadn't gotten the divorce yet and he's with his friends and you're already trying to like throw it out there that we're fucking around. It's like, wait, chill out, calm down, take take this a little bit slower. That's how I took it at least. And it actually does make sense the way because one of y'all was saying, I think it was you Rod that was saying that you were surprised that she was depicted that way as someone that would be fucking around with a married person. But when we get to Eric's party, Eric is Agnes's kid, I think it's kind of explained. So what did y'all think about Eric's party? You don't have the refreshment memory on that one. So the first part of but the first part of the scene is them giving Eric gifts And did y'all notice the fucking movies that he gave to her to the kid? I mean, you noticed what movie? Oh? You probably yeah, you probably would have watched that. But one of the movies is called Piano Teacher, which is about it's about like a weird uh dom sub kind of situation between a woman and a guy, kind of but very graphic. Mister Hollins opus. I don't think I've seen mister Hollands opus. But Irreversible he also gave her that that's a Gustav Fuck. What is his fucking name? God? I hate getting old, y'all, we say it's not Gustav, it's he's one of my favorite directors and I cannot think of his name. He did enter the Void? Fuck?
Speaker 2: God, you talking about you mentioned that movie before?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Irreversible is an extremely graphic movie. When you say graphic, where there is uh sexual assault? Oh okay? And after the sexual assault he beats her, and I will give you a slight segue. When I saw this in the theater, the assault scene was so long that I turned away and I told my buddy, I was like, let me know when this is done. And after like two three more minutes went by. I'm like, bro, is it still not done? And he's like no, And then you start hearing the seats the people were getting up and walking out. But when you get to the end of the movie, you realize that that scene was necessary. My whole point is, why the fuck is he giving a fucking child this movie either one of these movies. So if you watch the scene, you see Nora in the back. She's kind of just like laughing, and I think she's laughing at the fact that Gustav is just so fucking detached that he thinks that this is no. Yeah, But then the party is actually going well until the end of the party. They're sitting around drinking and Nora brings up the fact that Gustav cheated on the mom. So she I think has this kind of carryover where she probably doesn't want to be in an all the way commit a relationship, but I do think she wants to be with Jacob, but then Jacob rejects her, so she's looking at her dad like, yo, you guys are like the same fucking person, Like I thought I found somebody, but he, you know, he was cheating on his wife and then he doesn't want to he doesn't even want to be with me.
Speaker 3: So yeah, is this when he kind of, uh basically told her about it about herself. He was kind of calling her out for her kind of sort of flaws as well, because he was just.
Speaker 1: Like Daddy's the victor dad. Yeah, he did say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and later on she was she was crying, but I think it was a scene in the movie. But yeah, they were kind of this. They were kind of going back and forth, and you know, she was trying to call for his ship. Yeah, this was a good thing.
Speaker 2: He was calling her out for her fuck ship and ship like that.
Speaker 3: So because she was talking about her not oh yeah, because she was talking about her not being married, having kids and saying, look at at this. And I can't remember the full conversation, but I remember.
Speaker 1: I was like this basically like me. He was like, she was me, and I don't want you to be like me. Ye, it's basically saying yeah, like geez, gosper no and who did end of the ordin' Irreversible? What'd y'all think of the scene where Agnes goes to the library, uh to research her grandmother. Oh, that's the one that's what I confused.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, no, I thought that was good. That's what they was saying. There might be some graphic stuff that you don't want to see. Yep, yeah, I thought it was reiterating what they talked about earlier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but.
Speaker 3: Things were were not all the way clear to me, because I know they said she was a Nazi protester. But the question I have is was she the one doing the torturing.
Speaker 1: No, she was getting That's why she killed herself.
Speaker 3: But there were there it looked like there were also pictures of so those are just other photos of other Okay.
Speaker 1: They were demonstrating the types of torture that can be done in those cas.
Speaker 3: Okay, because yeah, because I was looking and I probably just missed it because I was looking for a photo of her actually being tortured. And when I was like, wait a minute, did did they kind of is this like she is there is what she thinked or thought her grandmother was different, and she killed herself because she was forced to torture these other people against the will. Okay, Okay, all right, cool, I.
Speaker 1: Mean unless I miss unless I miss read something, I took it as she was being tortured. I never thought about her being the torture er. So maybe it.
Speaker 2: Was a lot of photos of other people in that in that.
Speaker 1: But that's what he was saying. He's like, you may see some graphic things in this book, but.
Speaker 2: Why why did she even go look that up anywhere?
Speaker 1: She just wanted more insight? I thought, yeah, yeah, because she probably was trying. I think they were both trying to figure out the dad's angle. Why is he here? What's going on? So I thought it was interesting that she didn't know anything about her grandmother until she went to the library and had to like book him look her up. So I found this part interesting. But Gustav actually wants Eric, which is Agnes's son, to play in the movie. Why do y'all think that is Spike?
Speaker 5: I think that And I don't know if she mentioned this, but I think that her dad thinks that throw movies, that he's connecting or bonding with them because he had her in moving when she was young. And I think that that's the dad's way of saying, like I want to connect you, I want to know you, but it ain't. It don't come off as authentic to the keys because they just acting. Yeah, that's what I thought, did y'all.
Speaker 1: Get the same thing? Mhm were good? Yeah, Like they're having a discussion, and Agnes says to him, says to Gustav that she enjoyed filming with him because in that moment, in that time, it made her feel special, right, and she felt like she was finally important to him, and then he vanished. So when she says that, nah, you can't have Eric in your film, it's because she doesn't want him to do the same thing to Eric. This is her son, and she can already see how much her son loves granddaddy. Already Granddad's showing him reminded me of some shit like Rob would probably do. Granddad's showing him these cool camera tricks, throw the shovel and look at it's in my neck. So she can see that Eric is already like god, granddad is so cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I was gonna say, Like I do that with my kids. Well, I've done that with my kids, and my kid now get them involved in things that I'm doing, right, just you know.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I totally got what he was.
Speaker 4: Doing, and just one then you know, part of the whole legacy should do it to you do it here you have them come up here to do film ship, so it's like, yeah, that's that's just something you just embedded in you to do.
Speaker 1: But she probably didn't trust him. Yeah, yeah, she was. She was her feel if she remembers how it made her feel, and she's like, you're gonna you're gonna come in here, You're gonna treat him like the world, and then you're gonna Yeah. Yeah. I thought that was a really really really good scene.
Speaker 4: And it's kind of like parallel with with with like like almost like dead beats, like like when they give money and they never see him again, you just get them all hyped up and then with them, you know, so yeah, hit him.
Speaker 1: With the fresh prince the hell? Yeah, what did you think or why do you think Rachel dropped out of the film And why was Gustav ultimately so understanding about her dropping out? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Because I mean they showed that she clearly felt like the old she couldn't connect with the role. She felt like it was written for someone else, which was which would find out it's her daughter, and she just did not feel right doing it. And it just showed her integrity as an actor to understand that right not every role is for you, you know, and it's not just about the money or the check or whatever. And she respect and I think that was her respect for him as a filmmaker or whatnot. So I thought they did that very well and made that very clear. And I think she met up with Agnes too. She didn't talk about it, so yeah she was but no Nora. Yeah, yeah, I'm getting confused, but yeah, she met up with Nora, which I thought was really respectful. And yeah, he he he respected her for that as well. That's why he didn't give her any pushback on it, because at the end of the day, he never really wanted her anyway, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So so for him, he's like, yeah, I mean, you're not wrong.
Speaker 3: And maybe she she she realized that, you know, and she kept trying to get more information and he would not give it to her. Yeah, like I need to know more about your mom. She was like, it's not about my mom. The story is not about my mother.
Speaker 1: And we learned that. He kept saying like what do you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but yeah, yeah, he kept doing that a lot.
Speaker 3: That's funny because I was thinking about wonder Man, you know, all the ship that Simon and slash Yah y'all was doing and trying to figure out what these characters are.
Speaker 2: She was doing in this in this film.
Speaker 1: But you know, I.
Speaker 2: Think once he had her dye her hair, she was like, oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did he tell her to do that? Thought she did on her own she told her to. He told her to. Yeah. She was like yeah, yeah. She was like, you had me.
Speaker 2: I think she said you had me die do my hair like your daughter or.
Speaker 1: Something like that.
Speaker 5: I think he wanted her to own the role and she never would, and she was trying to get it out of him, and he wanted it to come out of her. He wanted her to identify with the role more so me having to explain it. So he was kind of relieved in my opinion, when she was like, I ain't doing.
Speaker 1: This no more. Well, but he still didn't. You know.
Speaker 2: I also wonder if he was also using her for funding too, because that was an issue.
Speaker 1: But uh, but also I think you start to see.
Speaker 3: Visually what Rachel Kemp was representing to him in the movie, especially when the hairs died, because I was like, oh, when when did it? Nora agree to do the filmsed for a minute, but it was her, and we never got an explanation until that moment. So you're starting to see as a viewers, like, oh, this is attended for Nora. Of course we knew that because she declined, but now he's trying to also physically make her be this this person. So it's so it's showing his longing for it. He's trying to get it in whatever way he could.
Speaker 1: What did I just do? Hold on, I just lost my place anyway, Yeah, I agree with y'all. I think she realizes that the role was not written for her, but she also realizes how personally important this movie is for Gustave, which is what she says to Nor when they meet up at the theater or whatever wherever they were. So I think it was just that she was trying to be respectful. She was just like, this was not written for me, This was written for your daughter. I have no business trying to play this. And I think he was really because he was like, yeah, I want my daughter to do this, you know, which is why I think he had like a mini breakdown after that and went and got fucking wasted. But because I think he realized then like this movie might not get made I just lost the main actress. And that's when.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that phone call that cost a callback to earlier. It's triple on time. Yeah, callback to earlier. When you were saying that it was eluded that she he was calling her unwanted, like she was getting unwanted calls from him.
Speaker 1: Well, he does that earlier in the film. I didn't realize it earlier. Yeah, he called her earlier when he was like drunk on the couch. I thought that. I thought, so, this is just a this scene. He just went outside and got drunk, and then then the scene like cuts to him laying on the ground. So so, so he did that earlier. I don't remember him doing that earlier. He did that earlier. So unless I'm wrong, I don't remember that earlier. But I'm pretty sure he did it earlier.
Speaker 3: He did it, and he did it, and then in this scene, he just went and got drunk and asleep on the ground, right, right, So both both things happened in the movie.
Speaker 1: Two things can be true. So Agnes goes to visit Nora and gives her Gustav's script, and she convinces her to read a certain passage.
Speaker 5: So, Spike, what did you think of this scene Dista passions when she realized what happens at the end of the movie.
Speaker 1: I mean, she just realizes that it's about her. That's about her.
Speaker 5: Basically, I thought it went a long way in the sense of she thought the he was trying to mend relationship, and like I said earlier with the little boy and him cashing him, he relates to people through movies, so he was trying to explain to her that I'm sorry that I left all of this time without actually saying it, and she got it. But she also, I think, feel cheated because he wouldn't come out directly and say that. I shouldn't have to read it in a script for you to figure it out.
Speaker 4: You think she felt cheated, but hm, I don't know if I thought she felt cheated by it. I did get the same thing you got or whatever, because she it made her emotional right, and I think it was a step towards understanding, in my opinion, and just understanding who her father is, how much he actually does care about her to that point, it's not just about I know you were saying in the beginning, like about his career is his way and his career done. Yeah, it's his way of communicating, you know, with his family. So I thought that was cool. Man, I don't know, I really liked this. I thought this was a very very touching scene, even for the way her sister was looking at her as she was reading it, just to kind of get her reaction to it.
Speaker 1: I thought that was really good.
Speaker 3: They both were very reluctant to read the script, and even her and she eventually got around to reading. And I can't remember what caused her to read it. Sister, I'm at this rate at first, and I forgot.
Speaker 1: What well left it with her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but she didn't want to read it either.
Speaker 1: Remember she didn't, but remember what we were talking about at the beginning, she's more forgiving. Yes you did mention that. Yeah, She's willing to give him a shot.
Speaker 2: So she eventually was like, all right, let me see what this shit.
Speaker 1: And again they were both trying to figure out what his angle is. They're like, why are you here? Why are you pushing this on us? So she was just the first one to give in, and after learning about what her grandmother did, I think that made her want to go read the script and see that was it?
Speaker 3: That was that was a catalyst. That Okay, So yeah, that was it. That was the part that was the trick. Okay, so it was.
Speaker 1: Someone going on with the house too, the cell of the house. Yeah, I think he owned.
Speaker 3: No, he transferred ownership to her, but she never signed it to the mom, her being a mom, so he still owned the house.
Speaker 2: This was this was this was interesting.
Speaker 3: So now we get to the part of the movie that really started to stick with me and that I kept thinking about and connection with everything else because Rachel kept saying, I need to know about your mom. He kept saying, this movie is not about my mother. First time he said, I'm like, you fucking lie.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Second time he said, I was like, wh who the fuck is it a way?
Speaker 2: Sure, we come to find out it's not right.
Speaker 4: It's not, but it kind of is like like, in a sense, like because the mother what she did, I feel like, I don't know. I kind of feel like and I might be wrong, but he could see the daughter on a similar path.
Speaker 3: Yes, Okay, it feels like he's he's it's about.
Speaker 1: What she could do.
Speaker 3: It's like, even though he hasn't been around, there are maybe things that he sees or behaviors that he's heard that seems familiar. So it's almost like he's almost damn near saving her life, you know. And there were some similarities, uh that that they display and you know, because the only thing we saw were panic attacks.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't I didn't, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't recall anything about her being depressed of a suicidal until she said it. Both of those things were revealed earlier, but it was it was in a conversation, but it came like later on in the movie. We saw the panic attacks, but then I think it was a conversation. I thought I thought that conversation happened when she was because I thought Nora asked atn this, how does he know about my attempt?
Speaker 1: That happened in this scene, But earlier on in the film, when Agnes was Nora was going through it, Agnes said, you're not gonna do this again, right, and you're you're supposed to put it two and two together that she had previously tried to commit suicide. It's just they explicitly say it in this moment because she asks, Agnes, did you ever tell him about my suicide attempt? And she's like no. So when Agnes says to her like this movie is not just written with you in mind, it's written about you, like this is your life. I don't think that she was being literal. It's just a matter of they're realizing how much Nora has been carrying this trauma from her grandmother without even knowing it. They had the same path, like they were both depressed and they were both about to commit suicide. But she was just bugged out that he was trying to push her into this role to play his mother when she's going through the same thing and he doesn't even factually know it. So I thought this scene was like insanely good. It was like, wait a minute, how the fuck does he even know this? That's what I kept asking. But he knows his daughter and his mom, right, Yeah, he sees it in his mom, And so we can look at it two ways. We can either say we know he knows his daughter, he can see it in his mother. He can see elements of his mother and his daughter. He doesn't want her to go on that path, or we can say that he just wants to connect with her and he wants her to play in this part so she can understand why he's the way he is it's one of those two things, I.
Speaker 3: Think, which also both yeah yeah, which again this is the part I like, which connects to why she is the way she is, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So that I was like, man, that's good. That's goodness, that's good. Yeah. You breathed in like you're gonna.
Speaker 3: Say I was, but I don't know if you're gonna. I want to hit the next question first.
Speaker 1: Well, the next question is the end. So do you have something about this particular scene or is it about the end seeing her playing the role?
Speaker 3: Okay, I do I do have a connect I do have a question because in this scene when after she read the script and they're crying, the conversations she had when they were on the side of the bed, bro, Yeah, when she was like she was like our childhoods were similar, and she.
Speaker 1: Was like, no, they weren't. She was like different. Yeah, I had you yep, bro, Like yo, that's a fucking bar and she didn't have anybody like man.
Speaker 2: I was like bruh, yeah, that shit stuck with me.
Speaker 3: I was like damn yeah, okay, okay, sentimental value, they didn't drop the name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that was and I thought.
Speaker 4: It was gonna be more in the time, like it seemed like it was gonna I felt like it should have been a bigger moment because that was when it was going through the ship at the house, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I think that the name of the film travels throughout the entire film because all of this is about sentimental value. He sentimental value is his memories of his mother, the emotion he felt from it, and then he's putting this on to her. Now you see what I'm saying. Yeah, See when I think sentimental, I think tangible. M sure, but this is also, you know, a movie about art, so they're being abstracted. I get what you're saying. I guess you can look at the script. Is sentimental value? I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's tangible, but they were going through tangible idols when they said it.
Speaker 1: Exactly He said, yeah, yeah, yeah, what happened, keep going? Told you to keep right. After being hospitalized, there wasn't a single nigger in this film, you know, so I don't think I'll worry about this. After being hospitalized. After a drunken night, Gustav renovates the house and then we see that Nora and Eric have joined the production, and we just discover that what we're watching is a scene from the movie being filmed. And actually, I'm gonna add one more question. Did they get y'all with this?
Speaker 4: Initially until I saw the blue screen. I saw the blue screen outside, I was like, oh, they don't sit.
Speaker 1: I don't even know if I noticed the blue screen outside.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, so they had the wall, everything in the windows, the doorway.
Speaker 1: Everything was blue. Oh I didn't see that.
Speaker 4: I took that out then, So yeah, that's how you can you know it's like green screen?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, so I know. I know. I was gonna let it go, Spike, But go ahead. What do you think did they get you?
Speaker 5: They didn't give me because I saw the blue screen, Okay, explaining them.
Speaker 1: With I don't know, it's like green screens, like green screen, but it's blue. That's why they call it blue screen. No, do y'all know why they used to different once? No, that's different. Yeah, No, I don't know what I know. Green is like the most versatile color.
Speaker 4: Right, well, green is green, isn't a lot of ship like you know what I'm saying blue, It's very you could do it like your news in different places.
Speaker 1: It's just depending on what.
Speaker 4: You're wearing in the setting and the mood, that's when you would choose to use green open.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they got me, They got me.
Speaker 1: I didn't see the blue screen, y'all.
Speaker 3: So when she was talking to Eric, because we had seen an area, yeah, we had seen they had a relationship the whole movie, and.
Speaker 1: You know, I started there were things.
Speaker 3: I was like, that's weird, but okay, because because I'll tell you what happened was when he came back and was knocking on the doors and I forgot my phone, I was like.
Speaker 2: Damn, he saved her life. I was like, oh, man, that's cool.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 2: The way her face changed, I was like, oh, she.
Speaker 4: Was talking about that earlier. I don't know if you remember. He was sending it to Ella. What's the girl named el Fan. He was just he was saying, like when she was looking out the window or whatever. He he's her to depict. He needs that that scene to be very strong. And so the fact that it came back around and she did it and it was strong, like you said, it was very impactful.
Speaker 1: So I thought that was brilliantly. I was like, no, she ain't gonna do this to them, bro. I was like, no way, like, come on, Laura, are you serious? Then mother just walked. I was like, y'all motherfuckers. Yep. So that that turns out to just be a scene in the film. And I know Ken definitely said it, and I think you said it, and I don't know if you did or not, but a couple of y'all were like, when it was over, y'all were like, well, that's it. So I'm gonna go back to that when y'all say that said, did y'all hate the ending or if even if you don't want to say you hated the ending, you see when you say that's it, what do you mean? I thought there was going to be more of a conclusion, Okay.
Speaker 5: I just expected more like some type of finality with the relationship between maybe the daughter and the dad.
Speaker 1: Okay, it ain't your turn, it ain't your Ken. So it's all of the awards.
Speaker 3: So all the awards built up this big, powerful like movie that as soon as it's done, you'll like get. But like I said, when I went to bed, it was sitting with me, I just kept going back through every single thing that was happening, and I started to really reflect the thing.
Speaker 2: I was like, maybe that's what they're talking about.
Speaker 3: Like, it's not like it's so many things you have to kind of play back throughout the movie of how the movie was. Like if you don't even think about the movie, right throughout the whole movie, there's separated you know, there's Rachel and this other girl, and then there's Nora over this other end with this other guy you know occasionally, and they don't really come together until the end, and then they just sit there.
Speaker 2: They don't even say anything to each other.
Speaker 1: They just kind of they's just silence.
Speaker 3: So and then you would think about like certain things that were said, like when he said something about shadows, and I can't remember exactly what he said.
Speaker 1: He said saying I think something like the shadows make the house more beautiful, but.
Speaker 3: It was something about film too. It was something about using it in film. But so when I'm thinking about the whole comment about shadow, he said something there's something beautiful or something about shadows or whatever, and you think about like Nora, and you know, like you can argue that she has this cloud, this sort of shadow hanging around her, you know, with her depression and then the panic attacks. So I'm starting to think about all these things that's happening in the movie. That's why I was saying, there's things there, but it's just like all these awards built it up to wear its super hype.
Speaker 2: So when he got to the end, I'm like, damn, that's it.
Speaker 3: But I had to go and I'm still thinking about That's why I felt like we're gonna have a really good discussion here, because I know there were things to really discuss and pull out. So so yeah, at the time, I felt like that that was it, but you know, it's way much more than that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like with your understanding of the movie as we reviewed this, I thought the ending would be impactful for you because it's like they didn't really have to say much, Like I think it was so much said in the expressions between the two. They both were emotional, kind of holding it back a little bit, and you felt like they finally got a connection. They finally you know what I'm saying, They finally are gonna be able to move throughout life, you know, without the resentment, without a like just a better understanding that no, I really do care about you and you care about me.
Speaker 1: You just you're just angry all the time.
Speaker 4: So once you get rid of that anger and release it, now we can we can move on with a relationship. I felt that I didn't need it to be explained, Like, yeah, I didn't need it to be explained.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 4: That was the other thing too that I wanted to point out with how that said that they played on the fact that this was a h foreign language because the act American actors. She's like, well, don't you think I need to have an accident of that speaking the language? I feel like you feel it more. And I was just like, damn, you know what I'm saying When I say I don't like subtitle stuff, I do understand that some stuff need to be in that language because if you feel it more. I said that about some of the animies or whatever. Yeah, City of Gods like that. So yeah, I do like that element. I just wanted to I was.
Speaker 2: Thinking, I was like, Rachel Rachel, Rachel Kimkin, that did that, bro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it wouldn't It wouldn't have came off the same way.
Speaker 3: Nah No, yeah, yeah, but but no, it definitely is is is a like I don't I don't think I thought it was trash. I just was expecting a lot more and I think what it was was I thought we were going to see a lot of clashing on screen between the two, but it was it was, it was happening.
Speaker 1: It was just it was like invisible.
Speaker 3: Right right and uh powerful yeah yeah yeah, Like thinking about it talking about it with you guys, like you know, there wasn't a lot of them like it really, whereas this division between the two throughout the whole movie and.
Speaker 2: Then they eventually, like you said, it came together.
Speaker 3: It was like, yeah, there's no words that need to be said about this, about what we did and how we managed to come here to get to this spot.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I think few actors can can portray a scene that way. I don't know much about the woman I know stelling Scarsguard, but there are a few people that can look at you and you get what they're thinking. That last scene when you say, well, I thought there's going to be more or there's all these awards. I think that final scene is why there's so many awards, because I immediately was like she gets it now and she forgives him, and then he's looking back at her saying, thank god, you finally understand. You just see it because she looks at him, and she kind of smiles and she looks down and she looks back at him.
Speaker 4: It's like a slight and hit nod a little. Yes, It's like it's so much in that expression. It's masterclass acting in this moment.
Speaker 1: So when the movie ended, and then you see like Eric come running up there and he has like something or whatever, like a and then she's handed a drink and it's just normal. At that point, they have finally gotten to the point where they can be normal because she understands why he's the way he is. He sees her, finally he actually sees her, and then the movie ends. Fucking brilliant. I thought it was fucking brilliant. Wake up Spike. I thought it was brilliant. So yeah, man, when the movie ended, I was like, I see why, I see why it would get awards. I was thinking it was just for acting. I don't know that I would say Best Picture because I didn't love the movie like that. But again, I did think it was a beautiful film. I need to go see his movie that was before this, because I'm hearing it was even better. The Worst Person in the World. It was called It has the same woman that plays Nora in that movie. Is it English? No? No, no no, because I was gonna say that too. I think any foreign film should be in their language. I don't think they need to pick and choose. I think that this is just an American way that we have grown up looking at film, because I think I might have told you before. When I was younger, I used to not understand why people spoke other languages because people would say, oh, well C means yes. So when I was like five, I was like, well, why don't they just fucking say yes? Why are they saying? See, this is stupid? But Americans do grow up with that very empirical idea of how not empirical imperial idea of how these things work. Well, if you're trying to appeal to an American audience, you need to speak English. But we don't understand that. Not everybody's doing that. I don't know that they made this film for American audiences. I think that they made it for whoever wanted to watch it. So when she's saying this is one thing that she said when she was quitting the film, she was like, this film needs to be in Norwegian, it needs to be in like this is not for me to be here doing like this is not for me. Why are you getting an American person to play in this movie? So yeah, I just thought I thought this movie the ending was just fucking amazing, man, amazing. Like I said, a few people, Daniel Kluya has this effect. There's few people I know of that can just look and you like, oh, I know what the fuck you're thinking right now? I got you. So yeah, anyway, anybody got any final thoughts on sentimental value? No, man, I thought it was solid. I was pleasantly surprised.
Speaker 4: It took me three tries, but once I finally got through it, I was like, all right, that solid.
Speaker 1: I'm not mad.
Speaker 3: I mean, I was upset when we started, but you know, I am glad that I did watch it.
Speaker 1: And it's good to kind of break up the.
Speaker 2: Normal rica moreau of what we review, you know.
Speaker 3: So so at the end of the day, and it's good to have context to like all the awards and stuff that is up for so now I understand whether I agree or disagree, like I understand why, you know, and then the discussion go from there. But at least I'm not ignorant to it, you know, anymore. So, so yeah, yeah, I'm cool with it.
Speaker 1: I could have remained ignorant. If this was in English, this would be Spike's number one film of the year. All right, well, did you have anything? All right, Well, that's gonna do it for this review. Hopefully all y'all motherfuckers better have enjoyed this ship. This was a task for some of the cats on this fucking on this panel. Okay, so make sure y'all leave some comments, let us know what we missed, and let us know if we need to go. Well, we're not going to review them, but let us know if we need to watch the other movies by Joaquin Trier, just watch, just watch. Okay, I'm gonna watch them regardless, but I'm just trying to never mind. I was trying to get the people involved, but Spike said, fuck all, y'all. So we will see y'all next time. We out later