Speaker 1: Hi, Oh, let's go.
Speaker 2: Oh, Let's go oh, Let's go.
Speaker 3: Shaw Ston's Talk one to seven point nine FMWBT. Bret Jensen here with you on this extremely special edition of Breaking with Brett Jensen as we go up until seven o'clock tonight. Seven oh four, five oh one oh seventy nine is the telephone number as well as the WBT text line driven by Liberty Buick GMC and guys. Follow me on ACCEP Brett Underscore Jensen for all the latest and breaking news in and around the Charlotte area. And I had some big time breaking news today, so make sure you go check it out there on Twitter involving other federal lawsuit against Comers County Schools. All right, you would also see if you follow me on X that what the show is.
Speaker 1: Going to be.
Speaker 3: And the big, big interview that I've been promoting or teasing all week actually happened. Everything went perfect and it could not have been better. Like everything was exactly the way I had hoped that it would be, and actually even wound up being better because I got way more time than I had anticipated. But the interview is with what I consider the third most important person in Washington, d c. President Trump won, Marco Rubio number two, and Treasury Secretary Scott Bessant number three. You see him on a lot of the Sunday talk shows, you see him on a lot of news outlets because he's a very important man.
Speaker 1: And I will tell you this.
Speaker 3: He's in Ashville, and that's where I'm coming to you from the Growth Park Inn in Asheville, North Carolina. Because in three weeks the G twenty Financial Summit, where the top twenty economic country from all over the world will gather and descend upon Asheville, North Carolina for a four day economic summit and it will be done at the end of the month. And he was a Scott Bessant was in Asheville today and I was able to secure an interview with him and we met for about twenty five minutes or so today and it was great.
Speaker 1: And so you're gonna hear my interview.
Speaker 3: That exclusive interview with the Treasury Secretary Scott Bessett again, who I think is the third most important person in all of Washington, DC. So here's how my interview went earlier today with the Secretary Scott Bessant.
Speaker 4: Thank you for taking the time to do this. I know you're extremely busy man.
Speaker 5: Just a month out from the G twenty summit finance summit here in Asheville.
Speaker 4: Why Asheville of all places.
Speaker 2: Look, I have historical roots to the area. I grew up as a child coming to Saluta in Flat Rock. I actually have a house in Jackson County.
Speaker 6: But when I the first of all, I want.
Speaker 2: To showcase Asheville to the world is good. I love the Blue Ridge Mountains and last year the Canadians had the G seventh Summit and the Canadian Rockies, so I thought, well, we'll see the Rockies raise at the Blue Ridge. And also I want to show Ashville the resilience. And you know Ashville and the whole area, it's it's the comeback city that everybody after the tragedy September twenty four, people are resilient. The US government Trump administration, we put over five billion dollars into western North Carolina for the recovery. And we want to showcase the beauty of the area. But the resilience of the people.
Speaker 4: What kind of economic boosts do you do you think this will have here?
Speaker 5: Because you just mentioned you will be one month away from the two year anniversary when you have the summit here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly. So I think there will be two parts of this is one will be.
Speaker 2: The actual under lying benefits, millions of dollars created. We're going to have about one hundred and seventy people here traveling from all over the world. The G twenty group, which is a group of countries to get together at the leader level, so the President, Secretary of State, and Secretary of the Treasure of Finance minister level three times a year. But there are other meetings for working groups, and it really convenes. It is a forum to discuss ideas, to put forth new ideas, to try to interdict any problems before they happen. So there will be the direct effect of all those people, whether they're flying.
Speaker 6: Into Charlotte from all over the world.
Speaker 2: And then driving up or coming into Ashville Airport, which I landed up last night.
Speaker 6: I hadn't seen it.
Speaker 2: The new improvements look great, they look great, but then there's going to be the effect people all around the world. I think we have more than three hundred journalists coming, so you know, we're here at the historic Grove Park inn and a lot of times if there are historic agreements, it takes the name of the agreement. You know, we talk about the Louis Accord, the Plaza Accord, when we think about certain summits, whether they were at Jekyl Island that was famous for when the FED was formed. So like these things can take on a life of their own. But I think as the hundreds of millions of people are seeing Asheville around the world, you know, we know it locally nationally, and I think it's going to take on a bigger international dimension.
Speaker 5: Speaking of obviously we're here talking about economics and everything else. One of the things that just randomly had last week a conversation with.
Speaker 4: The North Kinta State Legislature.
Speaker 5: And one of the things that he likes to do is talk to high school students about what proposed what would you like to see, what bills, what would you like to see as high school students, And they wrote this in depth thing in the form of a bill about finance literacy and this we literally had this conversation last week. So what is your thoughts about the whole finance literacy thing going back to high schools and before you get into college in the real world.
Speaker 6: Well, I think it's fantastic.
Speaker 2: My family and I have supported financial literacy efforts for more than two decades and it's one of our big philanthropic pursuits. We have a program down at the College at Charleston, my hometown in South Carolina, for first generation students coming in who've never been to college before, on how to manage their finances, because we've seen that these kids, with the very little financial training they yout on campus, their credit card company gives them a credit card, they run up the debt, and then their college career is over. But more importantly that back in my day, everyone when you hear the word home economics, they thought, well, it's just cooking class.
Speaker 6: It wasn't cooking class.
Speaker 2: It was how to manage your household finance and economics. And I can tell you things are a lot more complicated today. This buy now, pay later, digital assets, all the choices, and we are really pushing financial literacy through the Treasury. We just finished financial literacy a month in May. As I go around the country, we are pushing a main street agenda for small and community banks, and we are pushing them to do more and more in the schools. And I think we owe it to our children. I think the two biggest areas of neglect in education have been civics. No one really understands how our government works anymore, and I think that's why we're getting this rankor My family and I supported one of the first professorships in Chapel Hill at the School of Civic Life, which is evidently very popular now. So civics on one side, and then we got to do financial literacy in the working Family's tax cut, the one big beautiful bill. We have Trump Accounts, and I tell all your listeners go Trump accounts dot com. If you have a child eighteen or under child is born during President Trump's term, Treasury is going to see those accounts with one thousand dollars. Families can contribute up to five thousand dollars a year. Employers can contribute. I'm not sure what the state of North Carolina is doing, but many states are going to contribute. We've got some great philanthropists, Michael and Susan Dell donating six point twenty five billion dollars into the Trump accounts for children who are not in the twenty fifth percent or in the bottom seventy five percent of income by zip code.
Speaker 6: So everybody should open these up.
Speaker 2: But what we've done at Treasury is we have fifteen learning modules to educate both the children and the parents, because thirty eight percent of families in America have no exposures or equity markets, either through direct accounts or through four oh one case. So I think these Trump accounts are going to be the ultimate real time learning experience. It's not going to be I was a little kid in a rural town in South Carolina.
Speaker 6: What did I know about stocks?
Speaker 2: Something bad had happened in nineteen twenty nine, and now every family is going to have one of these Trump accounts.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Breaking with Breg Jensen as I continue my exclusive one on one sit down an interview with Treasury Secretary Scott Bessant. He was in Ashville today at the Grove Park in That's where I'm coming to you from, and we had a very long conversation about all kinds of things. You heard him talk about Ashville just a minute ago. Now let's start talking about the economy. So with that being said, here's more of my interview with Scott Bessett.
Speaker 5: You sort of beat me to the poach a little bit because I was going to ask you about the triple accounts. How successful or how prevalent have people been in setting up these accounts? Can you guys track that?
Speaker 6: Oh? Sure?
Speaker 2: So we've got about seven million have been opened out of seventy so we got a running start here. One point seven million of those have gotten the thousand dollars seed investment, and there's lots.
Speaker 6: Of money that's going to be around.
Speaker 2: We've seen other philanthropists Harold Ham, the great oil and energy man, who's adopted the state of Oklahoma. Ray Dalyo has adopted Connecticut along the same profile for putting money in four children. We've got one of the founders of SpaceX. She's donated about three hundred million dollars of SpaceX stock. And I think we're going to see a lot more of these founders donating. So everyone should get the account open and again you're going to be able to see it on your phone. I think the thirty eight percent of families who have no exposure to the equity market, it's going to be a game changer. Our goal is to give everybody a piece of the action, and President Trump wants to have an ownership economy.
Speaker 5: I want to switch gears a little bit in terms of finances and people giving money. That leads to my questions about fraud that we've seen a lot of, whether it's Minnesota, Los Angeles, and probably elsewhere.
Speaker 4: To be honest with you, So.
Speaker 6: How big of.
Speaker 4: A concern has the fraud been.
Speaker 5: I know you've talked to banks about trying to hey, if you see anything going on or financial institutions, alert us, let us know what's going on, specifically obviously with also illegal aliens. So what can you tell us about the situation involving fraud.
Speaker 2: Well, it's an all hands on deck, all parts of governments being led by Vice President Vance and I am honored to be part of his task force. And there is a meaningful amount of money to be saved for the American people here. It could be four hundred and six hundred billion with a B dollars. Put that in perspective, that is more than one or two percent of GDP that we could be saving.
Speaker 6: That's how we could do that and pay down the debt.
Speaker 2: But like this abuse is just insidious because in the US we are a high trust society. We want to help the most vulnerable. And I was out in Minneapolis during the hottest moments of this fraud network and when it was going on, and did a round.
Speaker 6: Table and.
Speaker 2: Some of the centers for autistic children are not getting funded because these creeps have stolen the.
Speaker 6: Money and they don't care.
Speaker 2: They don't care, and whether it's leaving the country, whether they're driving around in BMW's, And the most important thing that we are doing is we are trying to cut it off at the source. So Treasury we've finally been able to hook into what's called the do not pay system. When people are dead, we know people have committed fraud because the key to stopping the fraud is keeping it from going out the door once it gets out, whether it's the Somali fraud, the hospice fraud in Los Angeles, these other things. There's a lot of medicaid and insurance fraud down in Florida.
Speaker 6: Some of the money is going back to Cuba, if you could believe it.
Speaker 2: Once it's out the door, it's difficult to recover. So we are cutting it off at the source. At Treasury dot gov. We have a whistleblower's website and we can pay if you see something just like a bombing in the airport or in public transit, if you see something, say something, you see a suspicious package, you see suspicious behavior, and we can reward the great Americans who come forward.
Speaker 3: All right, some very interesting things there from the US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessant, and he was in Asheville today at the Grove Park Inn. They're in advance of the major G's twenty Summit that's going to be taking place there in about three weeks or so. And the G twenty Summit is where you have the top twenty economic developed countries all over the world and they get together for an annual summit.
Speaker 1: Well this year in about three weeks.
Speaker 3: It's in Asheville, North Carolina, and it will be taking place over the course of four days, almost exactly one month to the day prior to the two year anniversary of Hurricane Helen. All Right, everyone, welcome back to this very special edition of Breaking with Brad Jensen on the Friday Night, coming to you from Asheville, North Carolina, the Grove Park Inn, to be specific. And earlier today I had a one on one sit down interview, a very lengthy one on one sit down interview with US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessant. And again this is someone that I considered to be the third most powerful person in Washington, d C. Or at least the third most important person in Washington d C. Donald Trump number one, Marco Rubio, Secretary of State number two, and Scott Bessant number three. And the fact that I was able to get this very long interview with him is amazing.
Speaker 1: And he was in.
Speaker 3: Town for a preview, just looking around getting things ready for the G twenty summit that takes place in about three weeks. And if you're not familiar with what the G twenty is, it's where the twenty most developed economic countries in the world all get together for an annual summit. This year it's in Asheville, North Carolina, because he used to visit western North Carolina a lot as a child in the Saluta area, in the Cashers area, and by the way, way, he wanted to help, you know, with the economic recovery, and they expect a lot of money to be pumped into the economy over the end of August, over the four days that this summit takes place. But again, we're now going to continue my exclusive one on one sit down interview with US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessett. We're over a year since the Trump tax cuts went in to affect what tangible return evidence have you seen that this has been economically good for America.
Speaker 2: I think I can see or I know I can see it on two sides. So one of the best parts of my job is getting out and actually seeing the businesses and seeing.
Speaker 6: The people it's helped.
Speaker 2: Whether I was a couple of months ago, I was in seem Valley, California, home with a Reagan Library, I did a small business roundtable. I just came yesterday. I was out in Arizona for two days. I was at a Freedo lay plant in Casa Grande, and in my mind, that plant is like the perfect example of how the cuts are tax cuts for working people and tax deductions for corporate America or working that it's a barbell. On one side, we gave incentives for corporations to invest more, and whether it's factories, equipment, farm structures, and they're all expanding. So we are seeing a manufacturing renaissance. We're seeing a CAPEX boom like we haven't seen in fifteen years. So that's on one side, so corporations expanding creating more jobs.
Speaker 6: On the individual side.
Speaker 2: I also, as Treasury Secretary oversee the irs. So forty four percent of Americans had one of the presents for signature tax cuts, no tax and tips, no tax. In overtime, it reduced taxes on Social Security, eighty five percent of our seniors.
Speaker 6: Pay zero tax, and the.
Speaker 2: And deductibility of auto loan interest if you buy an American made cars. So that's forty four percent of Americans got to keep more money. Here in Western North Carolina. Western North Carolinians did much better in terms of keeping their own money than the national average. The tax refunds are big, but what we weren't able to pick up were the people who paid taxes last year who actually got a refund this year. So I suspect the numbers were actually much higher. And I will remind you every single Democrat voted against.
Speaker 6: Both sides of the barbell.
Speaker 2: They voted against the full expensing to help our manufacturers, and they voted against the tax cuts for working Americans. They voted against raising the child tax credit. They voted against the family leave option, which we Treasury just this week gave guidance on for employers to be able to provide a benefit for work to be able to take off take care of a loved loved one or for a new child.
Speaker 5: In terms of the economy, it seems to me, and this is just an extreme novice, that people when looking at the economy, tend to focus only in on gas prices. But when you look at the economy as a whole, where do you see it right now?
Speaker 6: Because like I.
Speaker 5: Said, I think people tend to look at the gas prices, but I also know that Lettters is about four dollars ahead cheaper than it was a few years ago.
Speaker 4: So what can you tell me about the economy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you've got to look at all aspects. But I can tell you, as we look at the economy, the one thing we are not going to do is what the Biden administration did and tell Americans that they don't know what they're feeling, that they know their lived experience. And I'm sixty three years old. This was the Biden administration. Was the worst inflation since my childhood in the seventies, and Americans deserved to be upset, They deserve to be agitated about the price level. Twenty one point five percent inflation, probably for working families. In terms of groceries, insurance, the energy cost probably in the thirties, so they were torched, and we have tried to slow inflation. The Iran conflict has caused a temporary upward trend and energy prices, but that's going to come back down. We peaked in May and energy prices I think, I look today, we're at about four dollars a gallon nationally lower if you exclude the People's Republic of California.
Speaker 6: I looked at looked like when I was coming in from the airport.
Speaker 2: Looks like it's three fifty three sixty five here in western North Carolina. And we want to get that back down. We are near the end of this conflict. Prices will come back down. We are constantly talking to the oil companies to make sure that the prices on gasoline come down just as fast as they raise them. And there are two ways out of the hit that American families took. There is getting the inflation under control, and I think what's important here is core inflation away from the volatile energy series. Is it about two and a half percent, not at the FEDS two percent target, but much better than the eight point whatever we hit during the Biden years, we will get that back down.
Speaker 6: But the other way is through wage growth.
Speaker 2: And we have seen in the past year about five point four five point five percent wage growth for the bottom twenty five percent of workers, which is exactly what happened President.
Speaker 6: Trump's first term.
Speaker 2: We saw a median worker wage increase of four point seven and the increase for the bottom twenty five percent is three times higher than the top twenty five percent. So we are closing that gap, and that is above the level of inflation. And I'll tell you that I feel like an emergency room doctor on the economy that the first thing you got to do when the patient comes in and they have a severe trauma is you've got to stop the bleeding, and you've got to stabilize the patient. So we stabilize the patient, and now they are on the road to recovery. We're seeing real wage gains. Inflation will come down, and I think that we are coming out of this and the Americans, while I think we will go from a period where things are uncomfortable to they will be able to see change for the better, and then in a few quarters then I think we can be back to the good numbers we had.
Speaker 3: All right, everyone, Welcome back to Breaking with Brat Jensen for a few more minutes.
Speaker 1: Coming to you from the.
Speaker 3: Grove Park End in Asheville, North Carolina, on this Friday evening.
Speaker 1: Earlier today I had a one on one sitting down.
Speaker 3: Interview with US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessett, who I considered to be the third most important person in Washington, d C. Obviously Donald Trump number one, Marco Rubio, the Secretary of State number two, and US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessett number three. You see him all the time on the Sunday morning talk shows sometimes major news programs during the week. This is an extremely important man and way up the food chain in terms of the Trump administration. So he is by the way, he went to western North Carolina a lot as a kid, and by the way, he lives in South Carolina down in the Charleston area as well. He has also a house in North Carolina, so he's very familiar with the surroundings. The G twenty Financial Summit is taking place in about three weeks in Ashville, and of case you don't know what that is, that is where the top twenty most economically developed countries in the world they gather and descend and for a four day conference to talk about finances in the world's economy and everything else. Well, it's taking place in Ashville in about three weeks. So Secretary Bessett was in town today to take a look around the Grove Park In for logistic purposes and whatnot.
Speaker 1: And while he was at the Grove.
Speaker 3: Park In, I was able to secure a very long and lengthy exclusive interview with the Treasury Secretary. So here is the conclusion of my one on one sed down interview earlier today with US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessett.
Speaker 5: One last question for you, MISSUS Secretary, and thank you so much for taking the time to talk with me today about this G twenty. I'd be remiss if I didn't ask one question about the summit coming up.
Speaker 4: Here in a month.
Speaker 5: What do you think is the biggest economic priority for the G twenty, Because this is such a global meeting, what do you think is the biggest priority?
Speaker 2: We America is the leading economy in the world, We're the leading military in the world. We are just the leading power across the globe. And now we're the energy superpower and AI superpower. We are trying to get everyone to follow our lead on growth that across the world, countries have run up big amounts of debt, some of it due to COVID, some of it wasteful spending. And we don't think the way to get out of this is to cut your.
Speaker 6: Way out of it.
Speaker 2: Is the way to get out of it is to grow your way out of it. So we have very strong growth in the US, some of the strongest in the world.
Speaker 6: So our message to our G twenty.
Speaker 2: Allies is follow our policies, follow President Trump's policies, energy security, energy, common sense, the deregulate, and let the private sector do its job.
Speaker 5: Well, MISSUS Secretary, thank you so much for doing this, and welcome back to North Carolina, by the way, and I know you're going to be here in another month or a few weeks.
Speaker 2: Actually, I'm looking forward to spending the weekend in Jackson County.
Speaker 3: So there you have at my exclusive one on one sit down interview with US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessett. And big thanks to him his team for everyone else setting this up. And again, this was something that a ton of media members would kill for. And the fact that me, little old Brett Jensen was able to get this exclusive interview for a very long sit down interview that just doesn't happen very often. And so again extremely thankful to Secretary Bressett and his team. And again he's spending the weekend in the mountains in his house in North Carolina, and he'll be back in about three weeks or so for the G twenty Summit, the big Finance Summit where the top twenty economically developed countries from all over the world, they will send their finance ministers and whatnot, and they will all come and gather in Ashville. They're expecting somewhere around three hundred medium members from around the world to also descend upon Ashville. Ashwell's going to get a big economic boost. They're also going to get a lot of free publicity to try and bring people back to North Carolina or at least the mountains of North Carolina.
Speaker 1: So a lot going on.
Speaker 3: In Ashville, North Carolina and at the Growth Park in where my interview took place earlier today. All right, real quick, before we get down out of here, I tell everyone to check my ex account and always check my feed, because earlier today I broke news that a second federal lawsuit has been filed against the Combarison County school System, the superintendent and a couple of principles about allowing boys to use girl locker rooms and girl bathrooms in the high schools and whatnot. So again, this was a different type of lawsuit, but in that same vein, and I fully expect a third lawsuit to be filed sometime in the very very near future, maybe as early as next week. Soeral lawsuits are already been filed against Comparis County schools, and I fully expect number three. By the way, this lawsuit pertains to Mount Pleasant High School, and this one is a parent suing the school, not a lawsuit on behalf.
Speaker 1: Of the students.
Speaker 3: Again, a little bit different of a lawsuit, but basically involving the exact same type of situation.
Speaker 1: All right, everyone, that's going to do it for us tonight.
Speaker 3: Again, much much thanks to US Treasury Secretary Scott Besson for allowing me to have a very prolonged sit down interview with him earlier today at the Growth Park.
Speaker 1: End. That's going to do it for us tonight. Have a great weekend, everyone. TJ.
Speaker 3: Ritchie's coming up next. My name is Brett Jenson, and you've been listening to Breaking with Brett Jenson