Speaker 1: The Frames per Second Podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to another episode of The Fame Second Podcast. I remember the evening. My name is Mike, next me. I have Spikes, Spike, I have Ken, can have Rock.
Speaker 3: We row down your review immediately. You know we're trying to get through this.
Speaker 2: Today we are reviewing the movie Slanted. I would admit this was my suggestion because there really wasn't any movies that were coming out this week. I saw the trailer for this, and I was like, Okay, that could be an interesting conversation. We're gonna quickly go around the room. Spike, what did you think of Slanted?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: It was fine, no surprises, Like it was very predictable. That was my biggest takeaway. Like, the whole time I was sitting there, I knew what was gonna happen next.
Speaker 2: So damn psychic in this, Ken, you trying to get like right a little bit X men in training? Okay, Ken? I had two responses, don't you do no racist ship, bro.
Speaker 3: I'm not like.
Speaker 1: This whole face saw When I got one response, respond.
Speaker 5: Man, I'm not, you know, I'm not. What's what's the Tim McGraw, I'm not a racist?
Speaker 3: Tira was lying too.
Speaker 1: I think when it was.
Speaker 5: Over with, I think there's a predictability of it. I mean, it's fairly obviously. You don't have to be, you know, a genius to figure it out. I love the fact that we get to see them tell their story from another perspective. I think so when I got home, and you know, I always think about, like, what was the.
Speaker 1: Question that was asked?
Speaker 5: They're like, oh, yeah, that was cool, and that was the thing I said. It was good to see like another side of the story. It's often I'm often watching them through mod lens of the story about what it's like to be black. So I thought that was cool. The lady when the movie was over said, this ship was stupid as fuck.
Speaker 1: That was sitting over there for.
Speaker 5: Me and like that and she sounded of black. Yeah, she was like, this is stupidest. I guess it was the ending that kind of threw off. There wasn't a real, like firm resolution to it.
Speaker 1: And I said the same thing.
Speaker 5: I was like, man, I had to go see that stupid ass movie because I had to cram it in. But it was more the frustration of acting a lot and my weekend and less about.
Speaker 1: The movie being stupid.
Speaker 5: But Uh, but it was interesting watching their their story being told, but it wasn't really a lot there and all lot of.
Speaker 3: Stupid me Rob, what do you think of slanting?
Speaker 6: I'm kind of like where Mike Spike is like, it was fine, It looked like it was fine, but you had to suspen a lot of belief, like just something the stuff that was happening.
Speaker 3: Do you mean.
Speaker 1: Changed it to a white lady? Were talking about fucking happened?
Speaker 3: Michael Jackson did?
Speaker 6: I mean, yeah, but but that's not even the same. It's what we do person shade. I thought, I'm not, I don't, I don't.
Speaker 1: I guess I just looked at it. I thought that was the movie.
Speaker 5: So that's why I didn't look at that and suspending the belief. It's just like watching any type of fantasies of my movie about weird ship happened. That isn't really possible.
Speaker 1: I thought you were talking about something outside of.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, that's other stuff.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying.
Speaker 3: I didn't say that particularly. I just say you had to suspend This is like a generic version of that other movie that we saw.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's like substance meets something else or whatever, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now that's fucked up.
Speaker 3: Why because Asian company? Oh I know that.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I really didn't know that.
Speaker 1: I God, damn it.
Speaker 3: I swear to God, I didn't know that. I thought Tino was Africans up. Oh no, look you didn't know, so that where you didn't I didn't know.
Speaker 1: We knew that. I didn't know.
Speaker 2: My God, that would have been I didn't know that. Stop laughing, y'all, please listening to this. I promise you. I did not know that team it was Agent. I thought it was an African company for some reason.
Speaker 3: Damn well that's great.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I was thinking like reverse get out to Oh yeah, get on?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, how was that racist?
Speaker 3: All?
Speaker 2: I said on? I didn't have no agent, So y'all, okay, we're starting over. We're starting over, y'all. I said get on. I didn't say get on, come on. That didn't make any sense. That doesn't even make any sense.
Speaker 3: Y'all are terrible. Stop by Jesus man. That is not what I wanted this to be.
Speaker 2: No, no, every instance of racism so far my account has been completely unintentional. I swear to God on my life and my Cat's Life. I did not know that Tebu was an Asian compo. I swear on my life, I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: Jesus, I feel so bad.
Speaker 1: Are you done? Rod?
Speaker 3: I'm sorry? I think so god feel terrible. Okay.
Speaker 2: This was the major film directorial debut from Amy Wang. She'd previously done a show called The Birch, but I haven't I haven't seen it, so this was her first foray into being a movie director. All right, so let's jump in this movie. So we meet young Joan Wong, her and her family not Wong, is it Wog? I don't know, right, Oh, I didn't even say did I my bad? I thought it was barely okay. I do agree with this suspending disbelief part, which I was actually completely fine with suspending disbelief, but there were certain things which we'll get into, where it was like, okay, even if I'm suspending disbelief, that doesn't make any sense. I but I one hundred percent think that this was a a goodwill version of the substance like they they damn near followed the substance beat for beat. So I just looked at this movie like it was extremely uncreative. So that was a bummer because I think this story could have been cool. But bring up get Out is good. So yes, it was like get Out mixed with the substance. So I think the directing was okay, So maybe she'll do a better job in the next movie. But she wrote, directed, and produced this, and maybe that's the problem. Just like we always say, well kritneys again on other people's production, Maybe not J Cole.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's the issue here.
Speaker 2: She she tried to wear too many hats and them shits waved her head down and broke her neck.
Speaker 6: That's what it was. It was substance meets Mean Girls. I don't know if you ever seen Mean Girls. No, but I know what I know the premise. Yeah, that's what that's what I saw. But yeah I wasn't. I didn't feel like I was robbed, but I definitely felt like I.
Speaker 2: Need to see this shit in the theater, that's for sure. So I apologize for making us go.
Speaker 6: I saw it for a screen I scene oh really, yeah, yep. I would have been annoyed, feels the screen, and I wasn't. Actually, I was like, oh shit, this is the movie we gonna review, so I ain't have to go on Thursday.
Speaker 2: So I'm saying, if we weren't reviewing it, and I went to a screen unseen and it was this.
Speaker 3: I was like, yeah, so a lot of people in there were shot.
Speaker 6: Like, like I said, I was sitting next to like two white chicks.
Speaker 1: Just so happened. It was two white chickens.
Speaker 3: This is fucked up? Why they like this?
Speaker 6: It was murmurs like I was just I was trying to hear, hustled to see what they were saying so bad because I wanted to know what they were saying so bad.
Speaker 3: I almost did. I was talking to another black dude that after we.
Speaker 1: Left would have good market research.
Speaker 3: But boy, yeah, yeah, I agree. I really wanted to know to know how white women thought about this. I really wanted to know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's not black people this time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can't blame must for this.
Speaker 2: Y'all realize y'all pissing everybody, right, It's not just us?
Speaker 3: So yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: So we meet Joan Wong I think was her last name. I'm gonna look it up while we're talking. Her and her family moved to the US from China, and she's struggling as a child to connect to her white peers, and as a youth, she sees a white woman whin prom queen and seems to be enamored by that. But we fast forward to her as a young adult and we see her obsessed with a white woman named Olivia Hammond while using this app that makes her.
Speaker 3: Appear as a white woman.
Speaker 2: But what were y'all's initial impressions of her as well as her mom and dad spike.
Speaker 3: Initial impressions.
Speaker 4: I felt the mom and dad wanted a better life for her, so they of course moved here to America, but they were still traditionalists as far as their culture, and they didn't want her to lose that, and she felt like she had to lose it because of the people that she was around in school. I think she was using Instagram, but it was a filter on Instagram. You said it was an app. It was Instagram, and she was supposed to app. But the filter is what made her white.
Speaker 7: Not that just's technic just well, actually, I'm just saying they would have said about they, Yeah, I thought it was.
Speaker 3: I thought it was.
Speaker 4: The notes have been played in this the Stinky Lunch, like all the stuff like I've seen before, So it was playing the typical.
Speaker 2: Notes what about y'all, What did y'all think of Joan and her family anything.
Speaker 6: I can just tell that she was she was, she was, She's clearly Asian. But but nah, I can tell that she was like enamored by like American culture. So that and I thought, the uh, the filter thing was interesting. So they basically you know, I mean a lot of people do that, not just you know what I'm saying, just these filters, and you know that these filters have to come from from somewhere, and not understanding that they might be market research happening behind these are like, Okay, you're using this and you're using that, So just being careful with the stuff that you be using.
Speaker 2: Sometimes Wait, so there are filters that will make you into a white person.
Speaker 4: Enhancements and stuff like that, you'll look different.
Speaker 2: But this literally made her into a white woman. That was the whole point, because.
Speaker 3: That's probably one out there like that. I wouldn't be surprised.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't either. Yeah, yeah, I mean you're selling it off, rip.
Speaker 5: I guess there's well, it was an hour thirty some minute maybe movie or whatever, so you're jumping into it as like she's just upset with being white. Yeah, and there's no real like, what was the trigger. You're constantly being like embarrass picked on, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 1: It was just you're just throwing into her.
Speaker 5: Here's this girl, she's obsessed with being white, even doing the filter, so you know, and we just have to go with that and run with that for the rest of the story.
Speaker 1: So that's kind of what it is.
Speaker 4: I think she grew into it though, Oh it's obsessed. I think when she originally got that, she was cool with who she was, but it's just being around all those white people, and she felt like she had to be white to be accepted.
Speaker 3: It's what I got from.
Speaker 2: I get your point. There wasn't a lot of backstory for her. But I think them dropping in the part where she was really young and she had her food and all the white girls got up and left, I think they thought that would be enough. Yeah, they thought that we would just fell in fill in the blanks. I do agree, we didn't have enough to make me understand why she was so beyond abnormally obsessed with first of all being a prom queen and second of all being a white woman. It was just it didn't hit it didn't hit at all for me.
Speaker 6: I think that stuff is pushed in our society, in society, especially American society, even with the Barbie dolls and things like that straight hair, it's even pushed to our our girls and stuff.
Speaker 3: No, I got all that.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying is for someone to go through this type of transformation in this film, you gotta give me a little bit more than I was upset about Barbie dolls or I want to be prom queen like it. Just there wasn't enough meat on this for me, and and and you know what, I can take me out.
Speaker 3: Of the picture. I didn't even need it though, because you're black.
Speaker 2: But let's let's draw a regular ass, boring, unseasoned white person into this film who doesn't even have any awareness of anything. There's no backstory for this one. There's to to to to get to the point where I'm going to change my race. There's not enough here for me to understand.
Speaker 6: I don't need it because I because I live here and I see advertisement and I see what's every day like what is the mass?
Speaker 5: But you live here, we grow up in it. In our community. It's constantly bombarded. We haven't really witness or seen it from their perspective.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 3: I don't need to, like just think if I'm.
Speaker 5: So much like, I could just take our experience is just layered on top of that and I'll be cool with it.
Speaker 6: So so what I'm saying is that, like you said, I'm from here, I'm I'm a Black American, right, They're coming from another country. She's a little girl growing up in a certain neighborhood watching television. That's all she sees and all she experiences. She's not around other ages. She's not they're not in an Asian community.
Speaker 2: It didn't seem like, No, that's that's not we don't know that. It didn't seem like because they're still the parents are still very deeply entrenched in their own cult culture.
Speaker 6: Yes in the house, yes, but I don't see it on the outside. I didn't see I thought it.
Speaker 3: Was more her idea.
Speaker 4: I'm greeing with Rodden since I thought her idea of beauty beauty right white a white woman, she never seen like. I think we don't have that issue as belliding being Black America. We know the beautiful black people, so we have that ideology in our head to be like, well, I can be beautiful and still be black. I thought she felt like in order to be beautiful, she had to be white.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's what the movie says to us. Okay, got it. I feel like again, I need to.
Speaker 2: See a little bit more of this and we'll get to the transformation, because that was some bullshit to me. But also with the company itself, it doesn't make sense because the material for the company was like, this isn't checking out here. If this is supposed to be about beauty, this is not checking out. So I had a lot of issues with the baseline material for this film. Now for us to assume she's never seen an attractive Asian woman.
Speaker 3: Y'all gonna have to tell us that because I.
Speaker 2: Just I'm not. I don't feel like I should have to put this much assumption into a movie that's about a culture completely different than mine.
Speaker 5: And I agree with that, like historically based on what I read and all the other stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know it, I know it exists.
Speaker 5: I know they've been experienced sort of racism and prejudice as well. But show us and give us just a little bit more about the nuances, right, you know that we don't know, like anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: I didn't need that because they talked about it towards the end, which I bring remember, try to remember to bring that up.
Speaker 3: They didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know what part you're talking about. She changed her whole race. I feel her entire Like when we watched The Substance, they made it very painfully clear why Demi Moore's character was doing what she's doing. That's what this movie was missing. It wasn't even just age. It was the fact that the dude didn't think she was marketable anymore.
Speaker 3: It's like, this movie, didn't you look an I'm saying it's not because she still looks good.
Speaker 1: For her age. It's almost like they wanted to rely on her being prom queen.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: The reason why, yes, they made her obsessed with being a prom queen. And in order for her to be a prom queen, she has to be a white woman.
Speaker 3: And it's like, wait, so.
Speaker 6: Maybe, yeah, huh, I agree on the motive the queen, well, that's that's I was more so talking.
Speaker 1: To the background.
Speaker 6: I didn't need all the extra background as far to what she wanted to change, but the prong queen just wasn't enough.
Speaker 1: Motive.
Speaker 2: For me, it's sounds like you agree with us, but you are saying you don't because you agree on the motive. The motive to change her race being prom queen doesn't really make any sense.
Speaker 3: I needed more motive than just being prong queen. But I all, but I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't need the extra background and the nuance of saying why she would want to be prom queen.
Speaker 3: Man, that's not no.
Speaker 1: I'll just move on, don't.
Speaker 3: I don't need the extra But I don't.
Speaker 1: I'm with y'all.
Speaker 3: I don't. I'm enough motive, but I don't need no more motive. I'm with y'all on the prom queen shit that that ship was weak to me. That's all I'm saying. The prom queen motive was weak to me.
Speaker 6: But I also still don't need the back, the extra background on how we got there. That like the nuance and the story there, I don't need that extra stuff. I can I can feel in that. I can feel in that part. It still doesn't mean I like the motives, but I can feel.
Speaker 3: In the other part. Maybe maybe maybe that's not Maybe it makes sense to somebody out there, I'm sure it does. Like, Yeah, I'm sure it does, even if it's a few people.
Speaker 1: Just gotta reach one minute.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: So after concocting a plan to run for prom queen with her friend I think it's pronounced Brenda. What did y'all take from the scene in the car with her mom where she's playing the Asian music and she keeps turning it down?
Speaker 3: Why are you laughing? We're gonna start with you, spikes that you laughing about? You? Oh the radio?
Speaker 2: She said that, don't nobody touched an Asian woman's radio?
Speaker 1: Did she say that?
Speaker 3: I missed that point?
Speaker 4: I thought about you cutting it down, But it was like at that point in time where it was really starting to show how irritated she was with her culture, with how she'd been raised, and it just she she wanted to disconnect herself totally from.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep.
Speaker 2: Does y'all anything different from that?
Speaker 1: That's that's yeah.
Speaker 2: They so they go to pick up her dad from the house that he's cleaning.
Speaker 3: What did you think about what happens there? Ken with with the white lady?
Speaker 5: This was very like, it felt very over the top for me, really, yeah, because it's just like we're gonna make him uh, a person that's gonna like her. The way the white person was acting, I got, but you know, heard him being like a cleaning person, not knowing English.
Speaker 1: It seemed like we're just gonna make it. I guess very obvious.
Speaker 5: That he's he's being you know, discriminated upun or looked down upon and stuff like that. So I don't know, I don't know. I felt maybe I wanted something a little bit smarter.
Speaker 2: Damn, okay, did you need something smarter?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I liked it.
Speaker 6: I mean I absolutely think that they probably act like that and think they're doing such a oh weird adopting black children, And like I thought there.
Speaker 5: Was her whole setup was weird, like she had all the ship and something like that. Yeah, yeah, I get that, but it just felt like we just I don't know, it was just a lot.
Speaker 6: I like that set up because as soon as he did something that she didn't approve of, it's like all that ship and you had to refrain from being racist. At that point, you wanted to be racist so bad, but you got all this ship in your home, like like you're just down for the call, and then soon as something happened.
Speaker 1: Like that, you ready to fucking fire them and.
Speaker 3: Just tear him a new one. Yep, you're a gread that spike. You don't care. No, I agree with the Asians. I just never see as cleaning man.
Speaker 1: I think that's what That's what you said.
Speaker 5: It was like weird, like we're just gonna give him like the bottom of the sort of pole, like this the only job he can fine.
Speaker 1: Well, and what year was it that was? So that was like, I don't know, its just modern. It was.
Speaker 5: It was We're in a modern world with something that seemed like it would have been something in the forties, fifties whatever.
Speaker 2: What wait, what would be from the fortes an Asian cleaning person?
Speaker 1: Yeah or whatever?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I disagree with I think it makes sense, especially given what Joan says to him later, him not being able to He does speak some English, he understands some English.
Speaker 3: But he's an idealist.
Speaker 2: He's just I mean, especially when we get to the to the very end with his monologue. But I think him coming to the United States and becoming a cleaning person, I don't.
Speaker 3: I didn't have any problem with that.
Speaker 2: And as far as I've never seen an Asian cleaning person, I'm trying to think I haven't seen many cleaning people period. You know, my family's as bougie as you, Spike, so you never had clean the cleaning people in my house with me, So.
Speaker 1: I do got I guess again we're with.
Speaker 5: Some with Spike, not that they don't exist, it's that, you know, I've just always known them to be black people, or.
Speaker 1: The Mexican people or that too.
Speaker 5: So if this is a thing, then getting insight into that being the thing, I guess.
Speaker 1: It could be interesting.
Speaker 3: Now that's wrong with Rod.
Speaker 2: I don't think I needed insight into our Asian cleaning people a thing. I assume any migrant class would be.
Speaker 3: That's the type of jobs that they could probably.
Speaker 4: Be a usually, But I think i'm speaking to well, I'm thinking in stereotypes. Usually Asians are more affluent, even if they smart, would be the word that I'm smarter.
Speaker 2: Just because he's a cliper, he's not smart.
Speaker 3: I didn't say that.
Speaker 4: I'm sure he does, but I don't want to step on the point that you're gonna make later. But he'd been here ten years and didn't bother to learn the language to do anything like you usually.
Speaker 3: And I'm not saying that.
Speaker 6: Wow, I'm only saying that because Asians take that stuff seriously?
Speaker 3: What do you mean agents usually take they have, like you.
Speaker 4: Tech jobs and engineering jobs and things of that nature, that that stereotype.
Speaker 2: God, Spike, are you what are you doing?
Speaker 3: What are you doing? I was just saying black people can play basketball? How Mike, they can't play? To me, why you can't play basketball?
Speaker 1: Mike?
Speaker 3: Why are you so slow? How come you can't run fast? Mind?
Speaker 1: But you should have been able to play basketball though.
Speaker 3: There's no reason you shouldn't be a play right you're black as Jesus Christ.
Speaker 4: No, I'm not saying it's just they aim higher than that. I'll say, you can't. I can't say that.
Speaker 3: You're being so racist right now, even know you are being raed.
Speaker 1: I do know what you say.
Speaker 3: You like, I'm not in this by myself. I'm taking you with me right here.
Speaker 1: I didn't say that.
Speaker 3: I just like I knew what you meant when you were saying what you say. I just I just on what you just said.
Speaker 2: My team comment and ship compared to what just went out. You might say, Look, they're smart. They're all smart, every single one. They all got tech jobs, every single one of the end. They are higher than cleaning people. I mean, King, King who I did.
Speaker 3: Not trying to get people on the You're trying to get people on the t that's my thought.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 3: I was like, come on, I was not. I oh, oh my god, I'm not. I don't think we should review this movie that I'm thinking about it.
Speaker 1: I haven't said anything that.
Speaker 3: Was fine Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: Right now. I just thought it was weird.
Speaker 2: I never thought it was weird because I understand why a person moving to this country, especially when I have the understanding that this whole facade of opportunity and it's all bullshit.
Speaker 3: There's not this wealth of opportunity in the United States.
Speaker 2: So someone moving here, especially if you don't oh right, especially if someone doesn't know the language that well, that's probably a fairly easy job for them to get because a lot of people will assume that they're not very smart, they're not you know, and they'll think they're not gonna steal you know. It's just yeah, I think there's a wealth of understanding of why a migrant would become a cleaning person. I thought this scene was cool because, like the woman came off as a very typical standard liberal performative liberal the whole like I made you some tea, you know, almost like you people like tea, you know. And then when she says that shit about oh my god, you're so beautiful, do you know that? It just comes off as so condescending and it's triggering because again, this is an Asian story, so I don't want to, you know, step on the Asian part of this story. But man, as a black person, I've seen that same ship from white folks, especially to little black girls.
Speaker 1: That's what was saying earlier.
Speaker 5: He said that black women know, they know they've seen beautiful black women.
Speaker 1: He said. I guess he was trying to say he just don't know that.
Speaker 3: What she did.
Speaker 2: Moving on, I've seen white women look at young black girls and be like.
Speaker 3: You know you're pretty, You're just so yeah, your hair is so Yeah. That part was very very relatable.
Speaker 1: Did she say something to her hair too?
Speaker 3: I can't remember.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that part, did you know?
Speaker 1: I've seen that before.
Speaker 8: You would love to have more content from Frames per Second. Become a patron where you can contribute to what we review and discuss. Our Patreon gives the listeners the power to nominate and vote a monthly discussion and film review, while also nominating and voting on weekly solo reviews from each cast member. You also get the opportunity to vote on the publicly released anniversary film, all exclusive to our Patreon. So become a patron at patreon dot com frames per second where there are two tiers you can choose from. That's patreon dot com forward slash frames per second. Did y'all take anything from the dreams you had about winning prom?
Speaker 1: And we're gonna be allies when the shit over?
Speaker 2: We should be allies now, Well, we're not gonna be to meet Spike, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Like, why are you working? Why don't you have a tech job? Are you one of the are you one of the few dumb ones at least at least?
Speaker 1: No wonder over here? You got?
Speaker 3: All right, y'all? Come on, yeah, y'all going too far now?
Speaker 2: I apologize for these two guys.
Speaker 3: The dream, the dream? Yeah, yeah, what happened?
Speaker 2: She they she wins prom and she gets up to the stage and when she looks at herself in the mirror, she has and she's holding cleaning supplies. Mm hmm, okay, well I thought that seems cool. Guess not all right, So still obsessed with becoming prom queen, she walks down the hall showing all the previous prom queens, who were all white and blonde. She then decides to dye her hair blonde, and she also blows off plants with her mom to go to the nail salon with Olivia and her friends. I'm afraid to ask Spike anything some starting on this side of the room, Rod, what did you think about what goes down at the nail salon?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was so fucked up. They were trying to get a discount. But I like that the owner stood on business though until she didn't.
Speaker 2: Right, we don't know because she said.
Speaker 3: That's true, that's true.
Speaker 6: But but now, yeah, that that was a crazy scene to watch and just kind of seeing the owner's face like I know what you're doing, Like you know, I ain't going for it. But yeah, it was kind of funked up that they were just using her to to try to get a discount on on their nails and whatnot.
Speaker 3: So no, that was that scene.
Speaker 5: And to assimilate, to fit in, to be part of the so called majority, she was willing to be used, which is a normal thing. Yeah, yeah, yeah, willing to circumvent her culture, which I like that. Like, you know, the person that owned the place was like, this is my this is my shop. This is what we do. These we reward ourselves, you know, and not others. You know, this is how, you know, we can keep our sense of community, our sense of culture, et cetera, et cetera. And she was really trying to get her to kind of stay embedded in that, and you know, to no of l you know, I'm assuming that she gave her the discount to maybe try to help her out, unless she put the foot of the bill, for which I doubt she doubted paying, you know, that extra twenty percent. Yeah, so I doubt that that would happen because it didn't seem like they had a lot of money anyway. So but nah, this this was a dope scene seeing her push for that and just kind of sad seeing them kind of use her in that way, and you know, and.
Speaker 1: Didn't really even really care about her at all. It was fucked up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought the same thing.
Speaker 2: I didn't really get the kind of slight that Olivia said to Joan at the end of the conversation. She was like, I can see your roots, but the friend next to her had black roots, So like, whoa, what are we talking about?
Speaker 1: I think, oh, yeah, I don't either, because she wasn't white man never.
Speaker 2: Mind, Yeah, she wasn't white yet she had just dyed her hair anyway, that was weird.
Speaker 6: That was kind of weird because even when she did dye her hair, it still had black like streaks in it, so it never was just like purely blond.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that was a little odd.
Speaker 5: Or maybe it was like, no matter what you do, you won't be one of us, because I could still see the roots.
Speaker 1: Right, So yeah, maybe that was it.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, maybe it was like, I don't know, layer, like I could still see your roots, and maybe a double meeting.
Speaker 3: Maybe the messaging part the message part.
Speaker 2: Sure, i'll buy, But in relation to the movie, it didn't really make a lot of sense because it was just like, the girl literally standing right next to you has dark roots. So if you're just saying I can see it looked like that's.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying. Yeah, it wasn't like blond.
Speaker 3: Well yeah she had, yeah her hair, she had layers, but it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so she's she being Jon has been getting these messages from the company that does the white face filter.
Speaker 3: They're called Ethnos.
Speaker 2: Spike, I'll just throw this to you and hope you don't say anything crazy. What did you think about her visit to the facility.
Speaker 4: The first time she went to go check it out? Yeah, yeah, I knew she was going. Like I said, this movie was a lot of predict predictable, so I knew she was gonna do it, even though she didn't do at that time.
Speaker 3: So yeah, did.
Speaker 2: Y'all think of anything interesting about her first visit to the facility?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 6: It was interesting that you have to go through this. I guess like looked like it was a closed down shop. So it's almost like a speakeasy type of place where just very exclusive, if you know, you know, type of thing. So it just looked sketchy. Definitely looked sketchy. I did not know that they the people that were working there were probably of other ethnicities or whatever, so I didn't know that until until they said it.
Speaker 1: I mean, you guys mentioned the substance.
Speaker 5: The substance kind of did a very similar sort of set up when it comes to the facility.
Speaker 1: This is where it starts to.
Speaker 5: Get a little weird for for me, because and correct me if I'm wrong. I'm trying to remember, but it seemed like it shifted to just the black people getting this procedure more than others. Like the guy the doctor was black, wasn't either, the secretary was black.
Speaker 3: The secretary was black, the doctor was he was a white dude, South Asian.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I don't think there were actually a lot of examples.
Speaker 1: Balance.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it was balanced, all right, Yeah, okay, maybe maybe my own boys looking at it like, well, I gotta be now shifting like you're trying to use us to tell this story.
Speaker 1: But okay, cool suit correction.
Speaker 3: Well, nobody called this out.
Speaker 2: My one of my issues was in this scene, especially when I think back on it. Uh, I don't think they did a great job of really conveying what you get by becoming white. Uh, because the white specimens in this room they were not top specimens.
Speaker 3: Well, it was more so about privilege.
Speaker 2: See was that it for Joan? No, for Joan, they were trying to make it seem like it was about beauty, not.
Speaker 3: Privilege, See, I thought, and privilege.
Speaker 2: See, they did not do a good job to me with conveying the message of what white privilege even is or what you benefit from getting you know, this procedure, because they're they're showing the woman in the video and she's just like, you know, you have no idea, you know that should I get away with by being a white woman.
Speaker 3: I thought that was good.
Speaker 2: Then they showed the video and this might be where you're thinking of the black people. They show the video of the doctor and he's changing a black man into a white man. The black man seemed to be an average, decent looking black man and they changed him to this busted.
Speaker 3: Ass old white dude.
Speaker 2: So if the point they're making is even if you are an attractive person of color, you're still better off white no matter what you look like. If that's the point they're trying to make, I'm cool with it. I just feel like they needed to push it a bit more because it wasn't clear.
Speaker 5: No, it wasn't this, Yes, I think that was it. I think it was the acceptance. It's like you walk through and you see just the wall of whites, you know that are prom queens, and.
Speaker 3: But they're all pretty whites.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But also in there they were also trying to convey like the other messaging about just privilege and assets and acceptability. Know, this super good looking or whatever he is black guy becomes this average looking white man and that's susceptible and you will get all these sort of privileges as as the other girl said, So I think maybe in this part of the movie they were using this to kind of convey that part of it in addition to her trying to be prom queen and maybe her going to the salon of being acceptive. Well, no, because she wanted their endorsement for prom Queen, which is why she wanted to get in with them.
Speaker 2: Right, yes, yes, here's why that does not work. Joan was not going there to become white to just be accepted. She was going there because she wanted to become prom queen. To be prom queen, she saw it as you need to be like a top looking white So they weren't. They never even gave her the indication that like, yeah, you'll be a really attractive white woman. You're just gonna be You're just gonna be a white person. So I feel like this movie could have worked if you remove the whole prom queen shit and just make it that Joan is not feeling accepted. So even if I become a less attractive white woman, my life is still gonna be better off.
Speaker 3: But it doesn't.
Speaker 2: Vibe with the whole prom queen thing.
Speaker 1: To me.
Speaker 2: It was just like the messaging is all over the place with this movie. It's like they could not figure out what angle we wanted to go with with get Out.
Speaker 3: The angle was so clear with these white people.
Speaker 2: They were like, look, it doesn't matter what you look like, I just want to be in this body.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: They took a very elementary approach to it, yes, using the prom queen as the motive.
Speaker 2: And then they abandoned the motive when they get to this facility. It's like, wait a minute, and she's only going there because she doesn't feel accepted. Fine, but she wants to be a beautiful white woman. Just being a basic ass white woman's not gonna get you, prom queen.
Speaker 5: And or maybe they were trying to use that to also illustrate or sell other reasons why or reasons why other people have adopted that surgery so or whatever the process is in addition to her having a very simple reason for it, you know, so, and that's why they're successful. So you just want to be prom queen and beautiful, right, these other people wanted these other things that would allow them to be accepted in society.
Speaker 1: That's outside of that.
Speaker 3: That makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the doctor never had a conversation with her, being like, look, you're going to be a beautiful white woman.
Speaker 3: Which again we will get to that part.
Speaker 2: So she has to take over the cleaning job for her dad since he's hurt his hand. He cut his hand, he broke a vase or something.
Speaker 3: She finds out the owner of the house is going out of town.
Speaker 2: Then, after getting embarrassed by some students, they drew dicks on her little prom queen flyers tricks her mom and the signing the permission slip to get the full race swap.
Speaker 3: What did y'all think of that part?
Speaker 2: The procedure part, including that good to be Good to be White song?
Speaker 3: That was that a bop spike good to be White song?
Speaker 1: You remember?
Speaker 3: Oh man, that ship was so sound like.
Speaker 2: The police are our friends. Man, that was a source of safety. That was funny to me.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she got designed that the permission sip signed by her mom because her mom really didn't.
Speaker 1: Know what was going on.
Speaker 3: She told her it was a field trip. Yeah, they was going to a long permissionship.
Speaker 4: I ain't take anything from it in the procedure to switch over anything like that.
Speaker 5: So so this was the girls drove by and saw her with the cleaning stuff, right, yeah, and then she went to the school in there with the picture of the Dix and stuff. I thought they were gonna kind of make of seeing her with the cleaning supply. So that kind of threw me off that it was just they were just making doing that yeah sort of thing. So I was like, Okay, that's not where it didn't go where I thought it was gonna go.
Speaker 1: And that was enough to make you wanna.
Speaker 5: Okay again, I think the good to be white, we're just like you're selling it. That is a thing that's said. It is a phrase that's said, So we're just gonna kind of take that and add it into this sort of thing, and maybe you're letting white people know that that's the thing.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I wish you would have talked to them, you know.
Speaker 5: But but they're really hammering down and about this whole idea of whiteness and acceptability and the privileges and everything that comes with white, white, white white, white, white is great to be white, to the point where we got a song about it. Now, if that ship turns turns into a fucking damn nag of theme song, bro TikTok Oh my god.
Speaker 1: That s would be fucking nuts. That's what they're gonna take that ship roight. No.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this is the first time I had to suspend leaf with the parent signature things.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'm like, that's not you.
Speaker 1: Know what I thought that. I thought she probably just couldn't read English.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why I took it. She couldn't.
Speaker 2: She could, they could both speak basic English, but one they had no reason to trust their daughter, and two that might have been a lot of English for her to read. So she's probably just like and they're watching a movie or doing something.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I know how they tried to set it up as that she just wasn't like paying attention. But I just it just like as a parent that signs permission slips, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: But but no, no, But so I do understand because my wife reads everything. However, we're probably different, you know, because there have been times I could, hey, Mom, I need this signa she probably my mom wouldn't read it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and my mom.
Speaker 3: Was a teacher, so she knew I wasn't gonna lie to her.
Speaker 1: Though, right, so I could get why she would just go ahead and just sign it.
Speaker 2: And her daughter had never been in I get what you're saying, though, but her daughter had never been in trouble. They had no reason not to believe her. And she says, hey, I want to go on a field trip where you sign this permission slip, and that was.
Speaker 3: Really the starting end of it.
Speaker 2: I didn't really I get why you'd have a problem with that because of the father you are. But me, I was just saying, all right, I had more of an issue And this is nothing against McKenna Grace. I have more of an issue with that's what they gave you. Like if I'm going to a facility and I want to be prom queen, I want to be this beautiful prom queen. And I'm not trying to be mean. I think McKenna Grace is a is a pretty little white girl. But it was like, that's it.
Speaker 5: I think that works, So I think that I think that is enough. I don't think she had to be beauty queen or Amazona or whatever. You want to where you want to say. I think I think it was just enough. You're damn now, you got me saying about to say something sounds fucked up.
Speaker 2: You've been saying that sounds fucked up this whole I'm gonna get you to say something that sounds average average.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't I don't think. I don't think it needs to be over like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it got to be overly. But she, to me, she's just like a basic ass white jack. But I think that was the point.
Speaker 1: I think that.
Speaker 6: Might have been the point. But because she still needed her endorsement.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 6: The other suspended belief was like being able to do that procedure without a parent present.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, yeah, that not yeah, because you're being a little picky.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: You can't even get tattoos without There's no procedure in the world that can turn you into a white person.
Speaker 3: So I know, I mean that that was the obvious.
Speaker 6: I mean, why isn't there a parent in the room? I mean, that's the obvious one. I'm just saying the other stuff that I was listening.
Speaker 1: That is a good point, right, But that is also a good point.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, so, now if you want to really get into suspending this belief, which I this is where I thought you were going.
Speaker 3: Where did she get the money for this? Oh?
Speaker 1: He said, he.
Speaker 3: Said she got a discount or something. Na, the hair was free. That's it.
Speaker 4: I thought in the in the DMS, you should one time offer whatever it may be, take advantage of this.
Speaker 2: Now, maybe she did get a discount, but still it didn't. The movie never came off like she was loaded. Because her parents were extremely working class, this procedure had to be a grip. So I was just like, all right, what's happening here? Is this a dream sequence? Because how was she even getting this procedure done?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, the procedure time because again with the substance, we had fucking Margaret quality crawling out.
Speaker 3: Of Demi Moore's back.
Speaker 2: So I was like, okay, you know, but this ship, it was just like y'all didn't think a lot of this movie through. It seemed like y'all just threw some shit together.
Speaker 1: It seems like it really on a budget.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and they wasted most of the budget on the actor.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But yeah, So after she shows up at.
Speaker 2: Home as a white woman, her parents stormed down the Ethnes to get a reversal, but the doctor says it's permanent, and outside, Mom, Dad and Joan have a very hard discussion. Did y'all take anything interesting from that discussion? Y'all remember it?
Speaker 5: It was just when he told her about you know, your grandmother and I can see your grandmother and your eyes and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was killed that ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think all of this was good.
Speaker 6: I think all of this was a good one because I was like, how the fuck they're gonna do this? Like she's about to come home as a whole, white, different person, and I'm like, how are they going to execute this? And I feel like they did this well because they did not believe, like, you're not my fucking daughter. It took them, It took her everything to try to convince them, Like she had to single songs.
Speaker 3: He still was like, He's like.
Speaker 5: Nah, I don't know what Like if my kid, you take your ass right back out of here, that's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hell you can.
Speaker 5: I could see the hurt and feel the hurt that they had that she just it was legally erased everything that they were.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to talk to her no more.
Speaker 1: No, and basically went on about their lives too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like the scene a lot. But the mom says, you know, being Chinese is what made and she says, no, being Chinese is what made me weak. It's like, god, damn, this is a lot butter Again, I didn't really get a lot of that.
Speaker 6: I think the actor did well to the white girl because he made it seem like what's her name, but grace.
Speaker 3: I think she killed scream.
Speaker 6: I think I think I think credit needs to go to her as well, because I mean, I really felt like she was the other girl.
Speaker 3: In this moment.
Speaker 6: She's right, oh noelt I felt she did a really good job here.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I like when the dad says, I used to look in your face and see your grandma's eyes, and now I don't recognize my daughter anymore.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: This, this, this whole scene right here was fucking class.
Speaker 3: Is this When she snapped on him?
Speaker 2: When who snapped on whom? And she told him no, no, no, that that happens. Oh my god, my mom, Hey, can I eat a sweet potatoes?
Speaker 3: Crazy? Anyway? No, that's later.
Speaker 2: So to further fit in, she decides to throw a party at the house that her father cleans at unless she took something interesting from that conversation between her and Olivia in that room, which I didn't know. We can talk about the big scene here because Brenda shows up and confirms that White Joe is actually Joan after the race swap, and they share a touching moment where we think that they're gonna reconcile and they're gonna stay best friends. But then a turn happens when Olivia is telling Brenda and her friends made up of other POC, she tells them that.
Speaker 3: They have to leave go. What did you think of that? Seeing Spike that was dirty? I didn't think that.
Speaker 4: What I know the girl other girl said she had to show commitment or show that she was loyal to her, But I ain't think I thought she was gonna chicken out and not make her friend leave. I thought that she had built a deeper barn with her somebody. They had been friends for a while, not just high school, but like throughout school. So I thought that she had a deeper barn with her. So I was surprised. In a predictable movie, that was a surprising point right there.
Speaker 5: I think it was cool showing other races, showing them all grouped together like ver excluded from like white people. You know, again, very messaging in your face, you know, showing that you know, once you was, once you assimilate and adopt, you have to turn your back on your own community and you leave them behind, including friendships as well.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: I thought that was was it was good, but I knew she was going to say no because she hadn't accomplished a mission, and her mission was to become prom queen and that came at the expense of friendships and and bonds and loyalty that she has she has built over the years in pursuit of whiteness and uh, and she was willing to sacrifice whatever at the altered to accomplish that.
Speaker 1: So it's just were they the only Asian people in that community? Were people there?
Speaker 2: There were some black people there, there were there were it was a nice mix, but it was mostly people of color.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, showing certain that's certain allyship. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I did find that to be kind of interesting. Like you, Spike, I was like, is she gonna do it?
Speaker 3: Is she going to do it?
Speaker 2: And when she was like, y'all gotta leave, I was.
Speaker 1: Like, Wow, Now I'm surprised. Old girls didn't write her out because.
Speaker 6: I would have told that she switched by Yeah, mm hmm.
Speaker 3: They thought she was just a new girl.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Remember they when she came to school, they introduced her.
Speaker 5: As Joe, and the guy immediately started talking to her. You know, so they already show that there's privileges associated with it.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you brought that back up. So that was again they were making it seem like because this was like the really good looking guy at the school, and basic Joe walks up and he's like, oh cool, Yeah, let's date. It's like, wait, what y'all not y'all not dah. Anyway, after it's announced that she's up for prom queen, she has an awkward conversation with Brenda. Do you remember this conversation? This is by the lockos. What do you think anything of this?
Speaker 4: Not any more than her kicking out of the party, just like she was on the same thing, right, Damn?
Speaker 3: Did y'all take anything from this? I don't remember your first moment?
Speaker 1: Shit.
Speaker 2: I thought this was an incredible scene. This is where Brenda tells her like, look, you changed the entire way you looked.
Speaker 3: Because you thought you were ugly.
Speaker 2: What does that how do you think that makes me Feelah?
Speaker 3: I thought she killed. This scene was before this party.
Speaker 2: No, it was after the party, because that's why she's chowing up to her, being like can we talk?
Speaker 3: Can we talk? Can we talk?
Speaker 1: That's right? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought this scene was really good.
Speaker 1: Damn it is. Yeah, it is an ele thing to say.
Speaker 2: And I watched an interview with the actress that plays Brenda and she said that was She brought that to the director that was not originally in the script. She was like, well, look, if she's changing herself to be white me as another person of color, that's obviously going to affect me.
Speaker 3: So what if I said this?
Speaker 2: And the director was like, yes, that's awesome. So yeah, I thought that scene was really good. So you about to say something? Oh, Joanne's face starts drooping and they give her some tape and some cream, which.
Speaker 3: You know, this part was fine.
Speaker 2: But that night, her mom and dad tell her that her dad's been fired due to the party.
Speaker 3: But while they're.
Speaker 2: Interrogating her about if she had the party, Joanne or Joan, blurts out something extremely rude and hurtful to her father. She says, take this as a blessing. Maybe now you can learn English and get.
Speaker 3: A real job. I said, damn out loud with me too, me too. I was like, god, damn, oh, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what did y'all think of this scene?
Speaker 5: She been holding that one in for a minute, you know, and and she's blaming to a certain degree of parents, you know, to a certain degree. Yeah, yeah, yeah, like you know, you have to work at this place. You never learned English, but also you never fit in, you know, with how things are in America. And that hurt his soul, it did.
Speaker 3: That actor killed it.
Speaker 1: He was crushed.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this could have taught him what English.
Speaker 3: See, that's the thing that's.
Speaker 2: When we when we were going to Spike was like, hell, he didn't even bother to learn English.
Speaker 3: He doesn't have to.
Speaker 2: And he makes that very clear, which in another scene that we'll get to in a bit in a few minutes. But I think that it was good that they did not have him be, you know, fluent in English. He was happy with the life that he had. He worked as a janitor and he also cleaned houses. He had a loving family. He didn't need anything else. He just wanted to be in America. But again, I can't get into that before without giving away a couple other things.
Speaker 3: Only a few more scenes to this anyway. But while that prom which are you talking about this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, her face starts drooping again, Olivia comes in the bathroom. While helping her, she reveals that she also went through the program. I'm not gonna front. This got me.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, ship, I said, you knew it. I said she wanted them, she gotta be I said she gotta be one. I didn't call it.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 3: She played the white girl so too. Yeah, it was like I didn't.
Speaker 1: I'm with Mike.
Speaker 3: I still didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't know.
Speaker 3: That was a shackra for me when I.
Speaker 2: Didn't think she was all the way white anyway. I thought she was like Spanish or some ship. It was a good twist though.
Speaker 1: It did good.
Speaker 3: It did well for the movie. It made it a little bit more interesting. I do it.
Speaker 5: It made sense when you start to play back some of the things she said, especially when she was.
Speaker 3: At the party, in the party in the rooms, like I know your secret.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep. I was like, oh damn, that's what that meant. Yeah, I'm not. It was good though. That was that was a good reveal. Unfortunately it didn't work out in the way that she said it would.
Speaker 5: Uh there was, but yeah it all the body rejects it in the first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your face fights. No, that was good. They got me too.
Speaker 6: That what's fucked up about that is that at the party, like you knew her secret, that you still had her do that ship with her kicking out her friends.
Speaker 5: Are you one of us now still one of them? Are you holding on to you know, to your past?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So Jonahs elected prom queen, but while on stage accepting the award, her face melts and all her classmates freak out, and then she passes out.
Speaker 3: She wakes up at Olivia's.
Speaker 2: Place, where she finds out that her and her father are actually Cuban but they changed.
Speaker 3: Did y'all take anything.
Speaker 2: From this scene because there was quite a few things where I was like, this is this is actually kind of fucked up.
Speaker 4: I didn't I think I missed that was her dad. I thought they should They left their families. All did unseasoned food. How you have an all white plate?
Speaker 3: They had undercooked chicken.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the boiled chicken coliflour and mashed potatoes.
Speaker 3: Everything in the house was white.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was crazy.
Speaker 3: So his biggest thing to look out the drinking milk.
Speaker 4: And then some of the conversation that they were having, like like, we don't talk about race.
Speaker 3: Did he say that we don't even say that word here?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm thinking about like how to a certain degree society. Well, it's like you're saying, we don't talk about race, all this other things, but you want the standard to be white, you know, because that is in this world America, in the world period, the acceptable version, the acceptable race, and you want every thing to be that, which is why there's this fear of minority births and all this other stuff that's happening even right now, the whole white supremacy. Then preserving whiteness, you know, ship that we're seeing right now. So you're trying to say that we're doing this for the betterment of man kind of whatever the speech was, and he's getting rid of the idea of the construct the race, and we're just gonna be just one big whole society. But what is it is whiteness. So yeah, and everything is going to be white. So I think the interesting thing is you take like what they call them the model, the model minority or something like that model minority like the Asians and how they're perceived in America.
Speaker 1: The Yeah, and.
Speaker 5: So I thought that's why this movie was interesting seeing them know this story when when they when they were first here, they were looked upon and shun and and hate it. But later on adapted because they were contributing positively, you know, to America. But the elimination of race, trying to say we're gonna eliminate race and it's just gonna be white.
Speaker 1: Was it was very interesting?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I I thought some of the things that the dad was saying, like when he says, eventually people who don't share the same ideology fade away.
Speaker 3: So I thought that was interesting.
Speaker 2: This this kind of nazi ish uh commentary on assimilation.
Speaker 3: I thought that was cool.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the unseasoned, half cooked chicken and the drinking of just plain milk, I was like, this is disgusting, disgusting.
Speaker 3: Collie flower and ships, I'm just saying it was just.
Speaker 2: It does not expect you had a mash cauliflower.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just tight.
Speaker 2: It's just good. All right, they get some ship work, they get some ship white.
Speaker 5: Right, I did say, got me bro Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: Cauliflower.
Speaker 1: Rice is just.
Speaker 2: Funks off with that ship. That's definitely some white folks made that ship up.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: So she leaves.
Speaker 2: She returns home where she reconciles with her family, face off, fucked up.
Speaker 3: This part I think.
Speaker 2: Was very strong. The monologue from her father, whoever wants to go can jump in. What did y'all think of this part? All right, Spike, what did you think of this part? I didn't want to go far because you weren't paying attention, so I figured to get you out, Puck.
Speaker 3: I mean it was it was fine.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't as moved by it, but I do think that it showed great parenting and accepting their daughter. U oh, you're a great parent, and for what he had to say, and accepting her back after she had done that all that stuff.
Speaker 1: So I liked it.
Speaker 6: You know, this is the part I was talking about earlier with her and saying like why. This is where she's explained why you know you brought me to this country?
Speaker 1: What are you?
Speaker 3: Almost like kind of like what do you expect?
Speaker 6: I can't remember that came later, but this is where they kind of apologized for it.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 2: The mom says, we came here and we were already Asian or Chinese or whatever. Yeah, And she almost seemed like she was saying that she didn't really think through how she would feel, how it would feel growing up here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so that's what I was saying, like when I didn't need the context because of this part, So I assume that you know, she's had this whole life of I mean cause even you look at the wall, like it's all white, white people, like all these white artists and things like that. So it's kind of the also made me think too, like, as a parent, how why aren't you a little bit more tapped in as to like what's going on.
Speaker 1: With your daughter?
Speaker 2: You mean, because of all the pictures and stuff on the wall.
Speaker 6: All the pictures she clearly I mean even when she dyed her hair, She's like, what.
Speaker 3: Did you do to your hair?
Speaker 1: I can see that because you kind of just think teens are being teens.
Speaker 3: Yes, but this was a string though.
Speaker 2: I didn't have a problem with this part, probably because I mean I grew up that way. You know, My walls were covered in skateboarders and the majority of them were white because back then there weren't that many black skateboarders. I dyed my hair maroon, I dyed my hair green. My mom just looked at it as, oh, he's different, he's an artist.
Speaker 3: It's fine.
Speaker 2: She never at any point was like, well, are you wanting to be white? Because that never entered, you know, the conversation ever with her. That conversation, of course, would happened at high school because they would look at you and be like, yeah, skateboarding, you wearing those big old baggy pants and whatever, you know, dyeing your hair, wearing these weird shirts.
Speaker 3: You want to be white? You know I don't, So I don't think that. Again.
Speaker 2: I think that you're probably looking at this from the lens of the type of father you are. But I don't think that this was a weird scene to me, like them just being like, well her, well.
Speaker 3: That's not true. It is weird. But I could also.
Speaker 2: See why a migrant family, first gen would not have a big issue with it because they.
Speaker 3: Wanted her to be American.
Speaker 2: And I don't want to say too much for y'all say everything that y'all want to say about said pretty much what I was saying. Did you have anything to add to this?
Speaker 3: Ken?
Speaker 5: You know, you don't think about the potential repercussions of decisions. You want to do the best thing that you that's for your kids, and for them, it was the land of opportunity here in America. To get them over here and to grow up in America to benefit from that. You know, we don't know what they were running into, what, you know, their positions were.
Speaker 1: All they knew is that.
Speaker 5: America was supposed to be better, yes, and they came over here, and to them, they thought that the cultural identity of who she is would remain intact a lot because of how they maintained their household and stuff like that, singing of songs, you know, and stuff like that, speaking the language and stuff. So there was definitely a blind spot to what rob was saying, was what is her life saying? Just visually, like all the posters of white people on the wall and the dying of the hair.
Speaker 1: The music to muse it.
Speaker 5: But again, you're in America, so it's a lot of that ship, you know. So you know, it's just it's white artists and she's at a white school, so you kind of start to adopt some of those things based on her peers. So it kind of made sense for her to kind of also ignore that, you know.
Speaker 1: Peer pressure and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: So but I love the conversation and just really saying that you know, to hold on to who you are, your identity and all the other stuff, and really basically accepting and taking her back.
Speaker 1: I think that was.
Speaker 5: Big of them, not me, You're not my daughter, face off up to look like damn Martin and ship you got that's funny.
Speaker 3: She actually does look like that's hilarious.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Well, so nobody touched on the dad's speech, which I'm a little disappointed in all three of you, because I thought the dad's speech was beautiful. I'm I'm really shocked. Well, I'm not shocked to Spike. The Spike didn't give a fuck about this movie at all.
Speaker 3: I don't remember what the dad oh man, So I wrote.
Speaker 2: I wrote it down in the theater he said, uh, he said being, He said, when I came here, I wanted to be American. But like he said, being American is not the goal. The goal is the opposite.
Speaker 3: He said.
Speaker 2: I stopped following other people and I became my own American. And you will find your own American too. That ship in the theater swear to guy gave me goosebumps.
Speaker 3: I was like, that's.
Speaker 2: Fucking beautiful, ye because to a cowboy had Yeah. But the whole I became my own American, And eventually you'll find your own American. It will happen because you have to understand what what actually not what Maga says American is, but what American actually is. It's anything, It's supposed to be anything. Being Americans should have nothing to do with white skin, ethnicity, nothing like that. It should be about having the freedom to do anything you want. This was the only time where I was like, damn, the movie is bringing it home, and especially coming from the father. So when you talk about he.
Speaker 3: Didn't bother to learn the English.
Speaker 2: He didn't have to because he was trying to find his own version of what an American was.
Speaker 3: And to him, it was just being here and being free, being.
Speaker 2: You know, having the ability to do what he wanted, you know, provide for his family and just be here. That's what he saw as being an American. It wasn't speaking English, it was what'd you saying?
Speaker 1: Or a software engineer working in.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, yes, it wasn't you know, having higher aspirations.
Speaker 3: He was a great father, and his daughter loved him.
Speaker 2: That's why this monologue was so good to me coming from him, because you can see how much his daughter adored him. The daughter didn't really fuck with the mom like that, but when the dad was leaving to go to work, by dad so long they had this beautiful relationship. He was so disappointed in her because he wanted her to have her own version of what an American is.
Speaker 3: But it's not a white person, right, So I love this. Maybe that's what he thought.
Speaker 6: She was doing this whole time, trying to find what her American is.
Speaker 2: Yes, but he was fine because she was still speaking Chinese and the house, you know, she was still helping her mom with the food.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for whatever, he's not long gone hit that. That part didn't hit me like that, damn. And I guess like because I'm not like patriotic. So it's just like when he said that, it was kind of cringey. Actually, oh wow, when he said that an American Like, I don't think I've ever said that, But why would you You're not an immigrant, You're an American period, you were born here.
Speaker 2: I think I think an immigrant saying that because there's been propaganda probably from day one about how great America is and how America is the land of the free. You get here and you realize that's not really the case. That's why he says being American is not the goal.
Speaker 3: I thought that was beautiful.
Speaker 6: I don't know if any mind my friends like that would say that, though.
Speaker 3: You ain't got no friends like that.
Speaker 6: Oh, I don't know what you ask them?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't think that's a crazy question. I mean, you're black. I'm sure they've asked you about being a black American. I don't think I got to ask you. I've never heard them say anything.
Speaker 1: I talked to my African friends like that all the time.
Speaker 3: I mean to do too, But have you ever heard them say anything like that?
Speaker 6: Not not Dick, I have other Africans.
Speaker 3: Jesus, really good. This scene really.
Speaker 1: Hit from me. It did.
Speaker 6: I like, I like some of the dog loog It was just that specific thing I did hit.
Speaker 3: Roight.
Speaker 1: What I am bro Americans? It's like some.
Speaker 3: Bullshit, that's his point.
Speaker 1: But why why why I say fine, go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna say real quick.
Speaker 6: And I'm just kind of reiterating, like why say, find my my own American.
Speaker 2: Because he's finding his own version of what that means to him. Being American is not the goal. The goal is the opposite. Y'all motherfuckers wasn't paying attention.
Speaker 1: I thought I was.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I thought this was the dopest fucking monologue in the whole movie.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I liked what he said before about it, you know, when he was disappointed and stuff. I like that, But I don't know if I remember that you brought it up about the Grid and that I thought that was really stronge.
Speaker 3: That was good. Yeah, yeah, I thought that was But I thought this was way better.
Speaker 2: Being American is not the goal, it's the opposite. I stopped following other people and became my own Americans.
Speaker 6: It sounded like it was supposed to be a bar. It was, and it wasn't patriotic. I'm surprised y'all read it that way.
Speaker 1: I didn't like it.
Speaker 2: It would have been patriotic if he said the opposite, being American is the goal.
Speaker 3: That's not what he said. He said, it's not the goal. I had to find my own American.
Speaker 2: He's I stopped following other people and became my own American anyway because the opportunity was still better than where he was.
Speaker 3: It's just like, it's just.
Speaker 2: Like when you look at when you look at people like Mexican folks, they're just like speaking Spanish and you're.
Speaker 3: Like, why can't you learn English?
Speaker 2: I don't fucking have to because English is not the the official language of America.
Speaker 3: Give me an example to find your own American.
Speaker 2: Him, No, that is real life, like when you see someone that, like you ever go up to.
Speaker 3: Like Beutford Highway doesn't mean yeeah.
Speaker 2: Beautford Highway for those listening is an area that is very predominantly Asian and Mexican. There are certain places in Beauford Highway.
Speaker 3: You not gonna hear a look at English.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I Guerican.
Speaker 2: That is their own American. They have they have found their own American. They've become their own American when they when they're from somewhere else and they're they're moving here, their idea of what being American is like, he said, cowboy hat, American flag T shirt, I'm proud being an American.
Speaker 3: No, I'm free. But then they realized, well, no, that's some bullshit.
Speaker 2: I can keep all of my own culture and still be here because there's no official ethnicity, language, nothing for America.
Speaker 3: I don't think we are our own version of American.
Speaker 6: Don't you think that I was sorry? I would I wouldn't say it that way, That's all I'm saying. I wouldn't say why not.
Speaker 2: You're an American and you're not just an African American. You're a different thinking. We don't fucking we don't talk about racist, asshole COVID here resting piss.
Speaker 3: But don't you look at all of us like that?
Speaker 2: Because think about it, if if if you took the idea of what an American is from MAGA. Right now, none of us are that, None of us are that.
Speaker 3: We have.
Speaker 2: We have found our own version of what an American is. We're all Americans.
Speaker 3: I'm an American, but I fucking hate this country, but I still live here. Right, You're an.
Speaker 2: American, but you're positive about you know plenty of shit, but you understand how fuckive American is, but you're still an American. We've all become our own version of what an American.
Speaker 6: And I feel that I just wouldn't say that out loud.
Speaker 2: Why I gotta ask, he says Corny it's.
Speaker 3: Just like, no, it's not about it being corny.
Speaker 6: I'm just not patriotic, and it sounds very It sounds that way to me because.
Speaker 3: You're from here.
Speaker 2: Think about this from the eyes of an immigrant. And I know I keep interrupting you, Spike, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna say.
Speaker 4: It's like the guy to come over here, and let's say he knows landscape and he works as a landscape at a company for two three years, save his money of you by a truck, you're doing his own landscaping, and then he hires a crew of people that look like him, and like Mike said, it's his culture.
Speaker 3: Like that's his version of American.
Speaker 4: Like it don't got to be I came over here, learn the language, know the whatever test you gotta pay. It's it's I came over here, I worked my ass off, I built something up a company. I employed people that look like me. We get to be each other around each other, Like that's an American American dream.
Speaker 3: Yes, but we're quick.
Speaker 6: We got a rebuttal so so sure, like he's found his own American, but he's still not accepted that way.
Speaker 4: Though I think it matters, doesn't because we're going that were not accepted.
Speaker 3: We're Americans and we're not so.
Speaker 2: But that's the point. It doesn't matter what't say it that way, but their acceptance doesn't matter. Once again, being American is not the goal.
Speaker 3: The goal is the opposite.
Speaker 2: So that's why I'm not I'm not caring about what the fuck y'all want.
Speaker 3: As long as I got.
Speaker 2: My household, my family, and my culture is still intact.
Speaker 6: I don't give a fuck. Acceptotic it was, it's the opposite. It was the opposite of a patriotic statement. Yeah, it might he had to say American to make her understand maybe we've been brainwashing the thing.
Speaker 1: Anything like that sounds patriotic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you know, to a certain degree, I think it's just like, uh, just listening to them talk, there's not a lot of countries where that guy.
Speaker 1: Spike was describing can go to and do that.
Speaker 3: And do that, and that's an American thing.
Speaker 1: I guess that's kind of what.
Speaker 4: That's an American thing, like, you know, even if we go other places when we're talking about learning language, of course I was joking. But if you go other places and you don't bother to learn language, they don't they're not going to.
Speaker 3: Look at you.
Speaker 4: You can't build up I think anything reputable somewhere else, not speaking the language there.
Speaker 3: You think you can disagree, Yeah you can't. Yeah, I think you can.
Speaker 2: I think there are places, especially if we're talking about well, obviously they speak English in the UK, but if you were moving to like France or someplace like that, I think it would not be super hard to accomplish that buthole. Well, I'm just throwing France for example. I'm probably you're You're probably right for correcting me. You're probably right, But I think there are other places that you could go and build up a business.
Speaker 3: Here, maybe it's a little bit easier.
Speaker 1: You point.
Speaker 4: I think that goes to your point though, that's what American is easier to do here because there is no like monolith of what an American.
Speaker 3: Is supposed to be the.
Speaker 1: Yes image.
Speaker 2: Yeah, That's why I think that this scene fucking hit because it was like, man that I love that it's it's to me, it's the exact opposite of patriotic, because a patriotic motherfucker would say, well, being an American means you love America most of the time. You're white, you know, you love fucking God and country. That's not these people and my pistol. Oh yes, you love guns, you love God, you love beef, those are your things.
Speaker 3: These people aren't like that.
Speaker 2: But they are still Americans, at least in this idealistic world of what America is. They are still Americans.
Speaker 3: But if it only hit from me, that's okay.
Speaker 2: One last scene, they try one more time to go back to Ethnos and they plead for them to fix Joan, but doctor Singer repeats that it's impossible because the procedure is permanent. This cust to Joan at home, tearing at her face, and the movie ends with her ripping out a piece around her eye, revealing her Asian eyes under it.
Speaker 3: Their place looked like he got the poppety Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of people. Yeah, everybody don't want to be white now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but what did y'all think of this final scene?
Speaker 1: That's the part when she was like, this ship was stupid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 6: Terrible for now, Yeah, because how's that underneath this whole other person?
Speaker 3: And then why can't they just do wait?
Speaker 2: Oh, so y'all did y'all not catch what the doctor said when he was.
Speaker 6: He was just saying like you're like a seed and it's like peeling back or something like that.
Speaker 3: Oh you're not talking about that part.
Speaker 6: But what he said, what did you say about the seed?
Speaker 2: Said for a new plant to grow and flourish, the seed has to die.
Speaker 3: Yes, the seed is her culture.
Speaker 2: The seed is her She didn't completely abandon her Asian kid, so it was still there. That's why this new plant could not grow and flourish. It was falling apart. That's why earlier Olivia says, your face flight to that first, because you're not immediately going to give your culture up. I thought the scene, I didn't love the ending, but I think the ending, combined with what he said, made made send no.
Speaker 3: The ending with it. Yeah, I like what he said and that made sense.
Speaker 6: Like like said she said it earlier, like as long as you fight yet like I think it as like, as long as you're fighting, still fighting for your culture, it's not gonna you know, it's gonna it's gonna fall off. But the part that I had it aesthetically is what I had an issue with, Like how how was that underneath this new white girl? Like that's the part that I had an issue with. Yeah, I stopped caring like the visual like logic. When it came to this movie again, I had to suspended leak all the way to the last scene. Yeah, like that's yeah, that was just too much for me. That's too much for me.
Speaker 3: But I mean it was it was a nice attempt. It wasn't terrible a terrible.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was a nice attempt at a at a movie they just needed. They just needed a bigger budget. I think to show, like the process, a little bit of backstory, like y'all said. I think it just needed that because get Out that's what get Out thrived. Yes, you know, you knew how they were doing these procedurescause they were shown and they were telling you how it was happening. They give no fucks about how this happens. They didn't give no no, they didn't care about like they didn't they didn't try to explain that at all.
Speaker 3: And that's why I had I had a problem with that.
Speaker 2: See so where you have a problem with that, but don't have a problem with needing more backstory. I didn't care about seeing the procedure. I didn't care about tell me I see I did they they they kind of showed the little laser thing.
Speaker 3: I just didn't. I didn't care.
Speaker 2: Because I was already like, well, this is ridiculous. This is a ridiculous fucking concept that you change an entire race. So I'm just gonna I'm just gonna ride with it. So that part I didn't really mind. It could have been cool if you had some money and you showed how this happens, but you already have to suspend this belief because like, you're not doing all this.
Speaker 3: In an hour or two. Yeah, I would pain free.
Speaker 1: I see.
Speaker 6: For me, I would have believed it more if like they took the Asian actor and put like some sort of prosthetic on her to make her white, versus just getting a whole nother fucking actor.
Speaker 2: But see, if you did that, then I think it defeats the purpose of them saying that you're becoming a completely different person. You know, if if it was prosthetics on an Asian actress, we're still gonna look at her and say, oh, well, that's fucking Joan from the beginning of the movie, But after seeing McKenna grays, you're just like, Okay, no, that's Joe.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The whole idea behind it, especially when that whole ethnos thing got was going and the lines were crazy. I think I was in the in the movie that I was about to test. I was like, this damn movie is wow? This they really going there?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Because but I think they could have gone there and they didn't. I think they could have. They could have fucked the.
Speaker 1: Idea of turning a person. They could have gone further.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, definitely, Yeah, I do agree with that, even just the idea of just like everything is about being white and we're gonna turn people into white and we're just gonna talk about how great it is to be white on Like, Yo, they are here.
Speaker 2: Give me more, give me, give me more of a reason to understand the motives. What does she benefit from Give me more of that?
Speaker 1: I mean a little bit smarter.
Speaker 2: Yes, I needed to be a little bit smarter. That's that's a good way to put it. So Yeah, anyway, anybody got any lost words for slanted?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I want more of these?
Speaker 3: Did black there?
Speaker 1: He did it? I don't know.
Speaker 2: We've I think they could have done. You're right, they haven't. I was thinking to get out, but that's not that's.
Speaker 1: Not the same. It's not the same. But I guess black person wanted to be white.
Speaker 2: I can see that, but I mean it would need to be it can't be no fucking.
Speaker 4: To be movie they like, and they're doing something similar with the girl was getting backlash for what's the one that play in the movie with Somema Woka the Buddy movie what's her name?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's sizzl? She played in the movie with silken Kie Palmer. And she doing a movie.
Speaker 4: Where an Asian girl is trying to fit in with black people. Did y'all hear about that? Yeah, she's producing a movie where an Asian girl goes to an HBCU and it's trying to fit in with like the black.
Speaker 2: People, and like, yeah, but I think they're saying that, yeah, this have worked if there was a black protagonist, and yeah, yeah, I think it could work, but it would have to be a very smart filmmaker.
Speaker 3: It had to be like what y'all are explaining in smartness, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Because I think that it would also matter who you're making this for. If you're making this for black folks, we'll already understand it. Yeah, we'll already understand it. But if you're making this for the general audience, then I feel like this needs to be a two hour movie and it needs to have a lot of nuance and detail of why a black person would want to go all the way through doing this.
Speaker 3: I would watch it.
Speaker 2: I would definitely watch it, but I don't think it's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: So anyway, Well, sound like a Jordan Peel film.
Speaker 2: It doesn't like a Jordan Peel film. Anyway, Well that's gonna do it, I guess for this review. Apologize for the racism here. You know, some of it was unintentional, others unintentional lies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you the worst.
Speaker 2: Just learn the goddamn language, man, Like when you come over here, learn the fucking language.
Speaker 3: Man speak what some of his daughter said.
Speaker 2: If you don't want to speak, why then go back where the fuck you came from.
Speaker 4: Those that I didn't right, you disagreed with it because you said at the beginning of the review that's why I got her f.
Speaker 3: Didn't bother to learn the language.
Speaker 1: Jesus like exactly.
Speaker 2: I was like, wait, is Spike leading to a joke, But nah, he's kept going.
Speaker 3: I'm like, na, he really just he really does speaking right now? Anyways, the movie's okay.
Speaker 2: I would see another movie she does, hopefully she gets a bigger budget and another writer. I think that would benefit her to get a co writer, and we'll see what happens.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that's going to do with this review.
Speaker 2: Let us know what you thought, share with a friend or two, and we will see y'all next time.
Speaker 1: White people, let us know how you feel about it.