Speaker 1: Ron Hatklinsky, who is the former Anderson coach and a great high school basketball coach, was coaching Edgewood when I was in high school and I needed to play for somebody like that who would kick my ass because I was just such a clownish woss I.
Speaker 2: Was back on that.
Speaker 1: That's a regret. I don't want to have any regrets, but that's a regret I have. So maybe your dad could have done that right, could.
Speaker 2: Have worked it turned out differently. Joe could have.
Speaker 3: Coming from the same crowd who crying about Notre Dame schedule constantly. Can you imagine sending that to me just now? I wonder was he seriously?
Speaker 2: I need it?
Speaker 1: And I know a lot of you probably evaluate things over the course.
Speaker 2: Of your life.
Speaker 1: I do this all the time, and that was a defining moment. Not that everybody around me at that time was not good. They were good people, but I was able to get away with stuff, and I wish now that I I wasn't.
Speaker 2: Are they Andy Moore out of montif Group plotline.
Speaker 1: He is the author of the biggest play in the history of the Indianapolis Colts and a friend of this show.
Speaker 2: Marlon Jackson joins us. How you doing, Pal, I'm good, Dane, How you doing?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 2: It feels way too long.
Speaker 1: Did you look back on your playing career on whatever level and think, Man, I'm glad I was pushed in the fashion of which I was.
Speaker 4: Oh, man, I was well, I was listening, you know, as you're talking about life. You know, I don't have the necessarily look back and think I wish I was pushing. I mean I was pushed hard from an early age just for my life circumstance period, right, Like you know, I grew up with a lot of adversity within my household, within my community, so that that shaped my attitude, and that shaped my mindset as a competitor. So the playing field that was my outlet, right to let out everything that was pented up on the inside from having difficulties in everyday life and struggles, and that became my outlet.
Speaker 5: On the football field.
Speaker 4: But you know, and listening to everything you guys are talking about, adversity.
Speaker 5: Is helpful in helping you grow.
Speaker 4: The only way you actually really grow in life is through challenges and through adversities, is not through everything being perfect and everybody telling you how great you are and not having any difficulties. That's not where growth really occurs in life.
Speaker 1: I so wish, looking back on it, that I was challenged even more I do. And you know, you're kind of like I talked to my kids about not having regrets, and that's one massive regret that I have that I have to live with right now too.
Speaker 2: And maybe it's easier to look in the review.
Speaker 1: To see exactly who you were, and like, I enjoy who I am right now, but I just wish that there would have been more that could have been squeezed out.
Speaker 2: Of me at the time.
Speaker 1: And honestly, I don't I feel bad because I kind of wood out on a lot of things back then too, And I have a great deal of admiration for those guys that were coach hard. They agree to be coach hard, and then those that also coach them hard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's it's always a fine line, but I've been that's some of the challenges in society now is you know, parents being okay with their kids being pushed and being coached hard, understanding that the ultimate goal is about growth and it's not necessarily about their comfort level and where they are right now, but where we would like them to be and it's going to take some challenges and challenging moments to actually help them get to that possibility that is within them.
Speaker 1: So, Marlin Jackson, who joins us on the Andy Moore Automotive Group hoodline, what is your thought on this coach team, not just for what you've seen so far in camp, but for the expectation. I mean, there are a lot of question marks and really going into the season, there is a lot of crossing your fingers and hoping. But what is your expectation for this group as we view it right now early stages of camp and Westfield.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, the only thing that comes to my mind when you pose that question is there's a lot of potential, right And I say, there's a lot of potential because of what we saw last year before the injuries occurred, and having that perspective and seeing in the current roster, knowing that if we stay healthy, this could be a really, really good team with Daniel Jones at quarterback, a strong offensive line, Dalton Taylor at running back, Alec Pearce, Josh Downs and others. Right, you know, there's a lot of potential offense when you look at the defense and you look at this young talented secondary. You look at the young guys along the defensive front along with the veterans that are anchors up front, like the Forest Butner and Grover, and then you look at the young talent at the linebacker position and safety position. You see that there's a lot of potential, but it is all predicated on do we stay healthy? That is for me, that is the number one factor going into this season is can the key players on this team stay healthy? Can you keep Daniel Jones healthy? Can you keep Jonathan Taylor healthy? Can you keep Alec Pearce healthy?
Speaker 5: Like those are.
Speaker 4: The critical things that you know as this season unfolds, It's what I will watch.
Speaker 5: Can you keep Sauce Gardner healthy? Right? Can you keep Mooney Ward healthy? Which is a big.
Speaker 4: Question mark when you speak about a guy like him that has concussion issues. You know, football is a very physical sport and we saw the potential on the customer being realized last season, but then we saw the wheels fall off when the injury started to occur.
Speaker 1: Mother Jackson with us, you are a valued member. As I mentioned, you're the author of the biggest player in the history of the Indianapolis Colts. Of that Colt secondary. How do you view up and down this Colt secondary. Maybe compare that between the one you played with and the expectations that you feel. Hopefully, when healthy, this group can live up to.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean the disguise the limit when I when I look at this secondary on paper, I think, arguably, talent wise, one of the best secondaries in the National Football League. When you look at the corners and then you look at Cam Binenen as safety, but then when you look at you know, uh, the young guy that we brought in on an L s u A A. J.
Speaker 5: Halsey, and then you know, if you.
Speaker 4: Look at Wally at nickelback, there is a lot to be excited about. Wally is picking up right where he left off in training camp last year.
Speaker 5: Is great to see.
Speaker 4: Is great to see Sauce Gardner healthy because we all know he's an all.
Speaker 5: Pro level player.
Speaker 4: But then you know, we know what Mooney Water can do when he's actually healthy, and then we know the playmaking ability that Cam buying him has, So then you know, you add in AJ Halsey as a young talented safety if he plays up to the level of his potential, the those starters in terms of the two corners, the nickelback, the two safeties, I mean, arguably the best in the league. But then it comes into play. We all know that at some point in time of the season that they're going to uh be some guys that need to step up, right the backups. So then it's about death. What does the death look like at secondary? We really want to find out until we are tested. But when you look at the front line, it is arguably one of the most talented secondaries in the National Football League.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting too, and Mola Jackson joins us on Andy More Automotive Group podline that we're not going to find out a lot of things until week number one against Baltimore. And that's why things get thick schedule wise with this team quickly in the first five weeks. You got to come correct or this is going to be problematic for the remainder two. And I think that's why you kind of look at this and you wonder, you know, hopefully Daniel Jones is ready. We've yet to talk about Alec Pearce. It maybe some edge rushing potential consistently with Leatu Latu can be involved in this, but a lot really has to come together early, and this has not been a staple of this Colts team history. Last year it was with injuries compromising things, but prior to that not so much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, we you know, we cannot afford to have one of the stars that we have historically had over the last we want to say, five.
Speaker 5: Plus seasons, with last year being the exception.
Speaker 4: With the difficulties that lie ahead in this with the scheduling, there is no room for air early in the season, and I think that has it should have created a sense of urgency in the off season, and even more so now that we are in training camp. So I'm sure the coaches are preaching urgency, consistency, finishing all of those all of those themes, right, you know, trying to drill that into the mindset, and then hopefully they're creating a highly competitive atmosphere daily at practice, because that is where it all starts, is competition in practice. Competition in practice leads to positive habits that transition into results within the game. So, you know, we can only speculate right now, but you know, these are my hopes of what I hope is occurring when in the meetings and on the practice field, the competition daily in meetings on the field, in the weight room, sharpening that iron, developing those habits so that we are ready to go out there and run through this first part of the season and build the confidence to sustain us to the rest of the season.
Speaker 1: Is Marla Jackson with us. We've talked about plenty of times in the past. Your foundation. You guys have something going on. It is a Colt Trivia event August, that's thirteenth, I believe, right, Marlon, talk a little bit about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, August, August thirteenth, we have the second second time that we're doing this coch Coach Trivia at the Skyline Skyline Club and Indianapolis. The Coach will be playing the New England Patriots in their first preseason game that evening.
Speaker 5: Leading up to that from six.
Speaker 4: To eight pm, you can come and hang out with me. I'm gonna be the host for the evening on the behalf of the Fight for Life Foundation in the Skyline Club of Indianapolis. And really it's a relaxed, laid back environment where we're going to have five rounds of trivia that I will host. We're gonna have live music with DJ lock Star and when it is trivia.
Speaker 2: Is tough, right there? I like lockstar Man, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Great, great guy does a great job on the tables and always we always work with them a Fight for Life and silent auctions and then prizes you know for the first, second and third place teams and great food, networking and community as well in terms of all the opportunities. And we'll be making a special announcement as well on something that we're releasing at the Fight for Life Foundation. Tickets can be purchased on our website. If you go to ww dot ff LF dot org short for Fight for Life Foundation dot org and then go to the hub, you'll see an article that has information about the event and a link to purchase tickets.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. I tell you what we're gonna do too. Uh again, that is a what is that a week for?
Speaker 5: What is that?
Speaker 2: A week from tomorrow? Yeah, week from tomorrow, week one week from tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Why don't we I'll put you on hold when we hang up or or will we disconnect here you talked to Kaleble. We'll get you back on this time next week and make sure everybody is aware of that within that twenty four hour period. Marl do you want to do that. I got to have you on more man, this is been my bad. I've missed you a great deal.
Speaker 4: Oh I mean well I missed coming on too is always great. You always got great energy and it's great to connect and talk and talk coach football and just you know, life in general. As you started off this conversation talking about how you grew up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, big big Wisosi too. You're really proud to be on the big former Woosie right here, aren't you see?
Speaker 4: But but the key the key.
Speaker 5: Word is there is former the key word right, not not not current? You you outgrew that that phase of life.
Speaker 2: Do we know how our guy Bullet is doing these days? And again, Melvin Bullet, do we know how he's doing these days? Because people remember our show together back in the day.
Speaker 4: The Jackson, The Jackson and Bullet yam B. Yeah, yeah, there's been it's been quite quite some time, but I have this swinging the Bullet and quite some time. But I see from Afar, looks like he's doing great things in Texas. He has a sports complex that he has down there and from what I can see, well, it looks like.
Speaker 5: He's doing well.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: Well, next Wednesday, we'll do this again to remind folks that's the Skyline Club, which is by the way, awesome right there. That is going to be a great time to be had by all. But Marlon will remind people all this with you on the show again next Wednesday. If that's okay with you, Yeah, that sounds great. We'll put you on hold. Marlon, you talked to Caleb. Will set that up for next week. But it's good to have you back on PAL.
Speaker 5: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Marlon Jackson on the Andy Moore Automotive Group Potline Awesome, dude, Cayler said it up again for next Wednesday. I dig you know, I've only been in the Skyline Club one time, one damn time. I don't know how I've not been there more than once. I want to say that I was up in there. The one time I was there was thanks to our good friend and Paris. One time in the Skyline.
Speaker 3: This is legit.
Speaker 2: Actually, I think I had to speak at the Skyline.
Speaker 1: Because you know that there are probably some pre speech cocktails to make sure that this guy was ready to rock.
Speaker 2: Marlin does a great JEMM, just what a great guy.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Derek for sending me that to the Skyline Charity Classic in partnership with the Fight for Life Foundation, six o'clock Colts Trivia, August the thirteenth, That is a week from tomorrow. I've got a little Colts pregame show coming up a week from tomorrow, Ronald, I'm excited about it.
Speaker 2: I will get Marlon back on next week.