Speaker 1: The Ride with JMV.
Speaker 2: You count three seconds.
Speaker 3: Look at them.
Speaker 1: I don't say anything. Then they'll ask you again.
Speaker 3: And you say, why are you asking?
Speaker 1: I don't have to explain myself. 93.5 and 107.5. The Fan.
Speaker 4: Man, that was a week ago, wasn't it? Dave Kechter on this show. Memorable for, I guess, a lot of the wrong reasons, right? Because we really didn't understand what the hell he was talking about last week. Hopefully, I did not hear from anybody that happened to see him at Helium, but hopefully things went well for him. Champ from Anchorman was a little bit off the mark this time last Wednesday while we're at the State Fair. Today, we're at Logan Street location. This is Kroger, everybody. And we are doing this and doing this for a specific reason. It's called Help in the Heartland. The campaign roundup at Kroger Checkouts. You can donate in that fashion, too.
Speaker 1: 317-239-1070.
Speaker 4: Keyword give. You can donate as well there. 1075thefan. com. So many ways you can do it. And as you can see, if you're watching via YouTube behind me right here, we have everybody involved. Swift is here from Hot 100.9. Hammer is here from Hammer and Nigel. We've got, I think, good folks down at Hank. I think Mindy's down there on Hank, and Dan Pantos is down there on Hank FM. That's 97.1 Hank FM right there. So it is a group. It is a team effort, which Chris Denary, who joins us, the voice of the Pacers, here in Noblesville at the Kroger location.
Speaker 1: You can get down with that. We're all a part of a team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty awesome.
Speaker 2: No question about that.
Speaker 5: Kroger, a great partner of Pacer Sports and Entertainment. Great to be sitting out here again, what it looked like a week ago. It's hard to believe, John, when people that experienced it, but of course those of us who maybe just saw it via video. But, you know, great to see, you know, so many people coming into Kroger, especially here. And again, as they round up, all that money will go to the American Red Cross.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and there's a little bit of construction in and around Noblesville downtown or the square of Noblesville.
Speaker 1: But it is very easy to... Maneuver. I will say this.
Speaker 4: When you think back on Noblesville, the first name that always will come to my mind is Tom Coverdale. Now, who comes to your mind, athletically speaking, from the town of Noblesville? Who is the first person you go, hey, because for.
Speaker 1: Me it's Coverdale.
Speaker 2: I think it's Scott Hafner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right.
Speaker 5: Scott Hafner, who played at Evansville and played in the NBA.
Speaker 2: He's a little bit younger than I am.
Speaker 5: Back when I was in high school in the late 70s, Dave Nicholson was the boys coach here.
Speaker 2: They had really good teams.
Speaker 5: They had Mike Chesser and Tom Beatty, all kinds of really good players.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, I remember Noblesville.
Speaker 5: And what Mayor Jensen has done, the funny story is, is Mayor Jensen's mom and my dad were longtime teachers at Westfield High School.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: And so Mayor Jensen's a little bit, maybe a lot younger than I am. But to see what he's done here in the city of Noblesville, you know, we're very fortunate to have the Noblesville boom, the Pacers G League franchise over on the other side, and what the city of Noblesville has done.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 5: Any way that I could come and just be supporter of what they're doing here in Noblesville to raise money for those. who need it because they had the devastation of the floods last week.
Speaker 4: I see my man. There's Bill Reynolds, the dad. And look at Jalen. The J-Dog is in the house. See, we're not even to 330 yet, are we? Just hit over 334. 334, and it's already the greatest day of all time because the J-Dog is in the house right here.
Speaker 1: That is outstanding. J-Dawg, good to see you, buddy. It's good to see you. You know Chris Denary there, J-Dawg, right there.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you, two of the fondest individuals from Tipton, Indiana that you will ever meet right there, Chris.
Speaker 2: Tipton, Indiana. I'll tell you what, a history there.
Speaker 5: And you think about what happened, John, with what happened here in central Indiana. And, you know, it started north and just you saw what happened to Muncie and Cambridge City and those types of places.
Speaker 2: You know, just the river and the water.
Speaker 4: And it went down Waverly near me also had some issues with high water.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just, again, you forget how much damage water can do. And it did.
Speaker 1: I've got to ask you this.
Speaker 4: We're going to get into DAZN because there's another layer to this. We found out last week that the official content provider of the Pacers is going to be DAZN. I want you to go over some things on that that people may not know about the price points.
Speaker 1: But also, there was another layer of news regarding DAZN today. What does that entail?
Speaker 5: I mean, DAZN today announced that they are acquiring Everpass Media.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And why is that important?
Speaker 5: Well, Everpass is the distributor for commercial NFL Sunday ticket in a partnership with DirecTV and DirecTV Stream.
Speaker 4: So I'm going to end up getting full court through DAZN.
Speaker 1: Is that this season?
Speaker 3: Or what?
Speaker 1: Here's the thing.
Speaker 5: What a lot of people don't know about DAZN is they are the streamer internationally for the NFL.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 5: I mean, they have relationships with Peacock, Netflix, Paramount, Apple. And so this is a monumental story because it's not just what they do consumer-wise. It's what they do, you know, when you go to your favorite, you go to District Tap.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 5: Everpass Media has been the partner to distribute how you watch those games in a bar or restaurant.
Speaker 2: Well, now DAZN owns that.
Speaker 4: So what's the anticipation here? If you're thinking in the not-so-distant future, what's the anticipation with this move?
Speaker 5: Well, I think what DAZN has done, developed a partnership with the Pacers. Earlier they had announced a partnership with Minnesota and the Timberwolves. It looks like there are going to be some other teams involved. And I think what a lot of people forget is just a few weeks ago, DAZN announced that they're becoming the distribution partner, the streaming partner with MSG and with Yes Network, with the Knicks, with the Rangers, with the Nets. All those New York teams who were trying to do it on their own are now working with DAZN because they've been a proven model, not just here in the States, but pretty much internationally. So And I think what we've talked about, and I listened to, you.
Speaker 2: Know, you last week.
Speaker 1: I did miss that interview, though, on Wednesday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're probably not missing much out of that. We're still trying to figure out what the hell went down.
Speaker 5: But last Thursday, when I got back from South Carolina, I had a five and a half hour mow because it was.
Speaker 2: You know, so my grass was so long. So I had you in from three to six.
Speaker 5: But what's important, you know, about DAZN is the opportunity that they will have to for anybody to be able to watch. I think the pricing points that they made, outstanding. You were talking about your mom.
Speaker 1: My mom.
Speaker 2: That you can share.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 5: You can share two IP addresses. That's $ 79. 99.
Speaker 2: So if two people want to share, that's $ 40 a year.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 5: The other thing is, John, 22 games will be free behind the paywall. 15 of those at a soon-to-be-announced over-the-air station in Indianapolis. seven additional games on the zone, and all four preseason games, including Tyrese Halliburton's return to Ames, Iowa, at Iowa State. So all of a sudden, you have the opportunity, and again, with a wonderful app. to watch those games and and again it it's not for me to tell people how to spend their money but I will tell you I think Mel Raines and her staff did an outstanding job and how they negotiated this not just for this year but to position Pacers basketball for the future as well.
Speaker 4: So Chris is this the future for the entire league is that the path because we have that news right there is this the path is this where we're going where the entire league is going to be What's.
Speaker 5: Going to be interesting, what the NBA is talking about is having a national streaming partner moving forward. And we'll just have to wait and see how all of that works. But the NBA is very dynamic in what they've done. And they've done a great job with the new package they put in place. There are more games over the air on national TV. They added Peacock. They added Prime. So there are more ways that you can watch games. And what that says, John, is there's a lot of interest. People want to be a part of it, right? And it's why you see college sports. You see the Big Ten. If you want to watch IU or Purdue basketball or football, you're going to have games on Peacock. You're going to have the games on Prime. It's because there's so much interest in sports. Sports is the best live television or streaming opportunity that there is, and people are willing to do that.
Speaker 4: So, Chris Denary, who is the voice of the Pacers, the zone this season. Now, a former Pacer who was a part of the Avicii Zubac deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And believe me, there was no bigger fan.
Speaker 4: I love Bill McMather, and I still do.
Speaker 1: And I love it because he's all ball all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I kind of wonder, and you and I can talk about this, whether he kind of wanted to leave more than they wanted him to stay.
Speaker 1: We'll get into that. But today, it's not going to be the Clippers any longer.
Speaker 4: Now he is in New Orleans, and that is going to be the competition when Tyrese Halliburton returns for real on the road in New Orleans. And Benedict Matherin is going to be a member in that night number one of the Pelicans.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if I saw it, it's a two-year deal with a player option in the second year.
Speaker 1: So what Ben is doing is he's betting on himself.
Speaker 5: He's betting that in year one with New Orleans, he can have the type of year that has him re-sign at a higher value in New Orleans or go somewhere else.
Speaker 2: I mean, Benedict's a wonderful player.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 2: He's a favorite of mine.
Speaker 5: And, John, what you have to think of, and we've seen it in sports, in any sport. To get a good player or a great player like the Pacers, I think, got in Evita Zubats, you have to give up a really good player, right?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's just how it works. And so I think for Benedict Matherin, as you looked at the way the Pacers are constructed, their starting five is set. It's Halliburton, it's Nembhard, it's Siakam, it's Neesmith, and it's Zubats. I'm sure Benedict Matherin wants to be a starter. He was coming off the bench with the Clippers. We'll have to wait and see what happens next. with him with the Pelicans, but there's no ill will from anybody against Benedict Mather, and he's a wonderful person, but that's the.
Speaker 2: Life and times in sports.
Speaker 1: How do you compare?
Speaker 4: We've yet to see Kelly Oubre in a Pacel uniform, but how would you compare the two?
Speaker 1: Because most notably, people are saying, well.
Speaker 4: Now, Kelly Oubre comes in, and he's more expensive than Matherin was as a restricted free agent going down betting on himself at New Orleans. How do you view those two players in the midst of this Pacer team?
Speaker 5: Well, just from a person standpoint, again, I think Kelly Oubre will be very comfortable coming off the bench in a six-man role. Is that something that Benedict Matherin wanted wherever he was, whether it's with the Pacers? With the Clippers, I don't know that. Only he knows that. But I think with what Kelly Oubre has done over the last number of years with the teams that he's played with, Philadelphia, Charlotte, he's put up some very consistent numbers, 14 points, five rebounds.
Speaker 2: He's a long defender.
Speaker 5: I think the Pacers are very happy to have somebody of Kelly Oubre's talents to bring off the bench.
Speaker 1: All right, more on that.
Speaker 4: We've got some pacer conversation because Chris is going to hang here for the entirety, man. We thank you for being a part of this and thank everybody out there as well. Now, before I get one more time to how you can be a part of this event today, I've got to get Rafael Sanchez on the show here in a minute.
Speaker 1: I hope he understands that. There's zero way.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what, my brother, if you give me five minutes on the other side, all right, I've got to have Rafael Sanchez on this show here A couple of things. Mike Chappell had this. Everybody covering the Colts had this a little bit earlier today. We knew that there was going to be some sort of move. Makai Blackman was a guy that they acquired, I think, going back to 2025.
Speaker 1: I believe, a year ago in August.
Speaker 4: For a six rounder. And certainly he looked a lot better today. in the games a year ago than what he had so far in the preseason. And with the way he looked in the preseason, he was waived, and the Colts signed Kenneth Harris a little bit earlier today. So a shuffle of sorts in the cornerback room for the Colts.
Speaker 1: Mooney Ward.
Speaker 4: Was meeting with the media earlier today, and the good news, he is back at practice, back feeling good after the Tuesday gathering.
Speaker 1: He expects to be ready for the opener.
Speaker 4: So that's the news coming from The Colts a little bit earlier today and stuff we're going to follow. We've got Matt Taylor coming up on the show, Kevin Bowen on the show, Brian Baldinger is going to join us a little bit later on, Marlon Jackson coming up a little bit later on.
Speaker 1: So it is a heavy show with conversation.
Speaker 4: And, again, this reminder, when you're at the checkout, and in a variety of Kroger locations throughout the state of Indiana, but certainly right here off of Logan Street in Noblesville, you can round up at Kroger Checkouts to donate.
Speaker 1: To the American Red Cross.
Speaker 4: And again, all donations go directly to those here locally that need the funding and need the relief because of the floods of a week ago. You can also donate through texting keyword GIVE to 317-239-1070. And 1075thefan. com, you can donate there as well. So that's why we're here today, and we want to thank you guys for being a part of it. Help in the heartland, the Noblesville Kroger off of Logan Street.
Speaker 1: In Noblesville.
Speaker 4: Chris rejoins on the other side. We're going to get Raphael on here coming up, too. And again, a loaded show. We're just looking for you. I need to have some audience participation by God right here. We're giving and having a good time doing it. We've got Chris Denary here, so come on out and join us. Logan Street, Kroger, for a tremendous cause on this Wednesday afternoon. Don't go anywhere. It's 93.5 and 107.5 The Fan. but on the Andy Moore Automotive Group hotline, friend of the show. He was out here along with James Boyd a little bit earlier this morning, a part of the Fan Morning Show.
Speaker 1: Kevin Bowen with a lot of Colts news today. I think some significant stuff, right?
Speaker 4: With Blackman being waved and kind of shuffling the deck in that secondary defensively for the Colts, and then the words of Cherverius Ward.
Speaker 1: Interesting out there, to say the least, correct? Yeah. Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 6: Alec Pierce-Watts, that seems to be the top of mind for everybody, still not practicing. Just to update everybody on that. So that now continues here. Deep into August, they'll practice tomorrow. It's usually the lightest practice of the week. If he doesn't go tomorrow, then I don't think anything until Tuesday. So you're starting to get a little closer to September 13th. But, yeah, as far as roster news, like you said, Makai Blackman was cut. For those not really familiar with Makai Blackman, he actually played the most snaps of any corner. on the football team last year. But for those that have watched the preseason, you saw why he was cut. He was struggling mightily in coverage and with penalties. So yeah, roster move there. I'm trying to think what else. Josh Downs missed with a calf injury. And yeah, Keenan Allen had a bunch of catches at today's practice.
Speaker 1: I'm curious your thoughts on Alec Pierce.
Speaker 4: Is there a deadline for you in mind to make sure that there's nothing being compromised to start this season as far as this practice return? Are you comfortable in your feeling maybe more so than you were a couple of days ago?
Speaker 6: It's starting to wane a little bit. I think Tuesday is vital or next week is vital for him to be practicing. I mean, that would leave him two full weeks behind. Now the question would become, OK, assuming he practices for two full weeks, how effective can he be on September 13th and how much can he play? You know, Pierce plays a ton of snaps. You know, he would out snap Michael Pittman Jr., you know, I think often. And, you know, even though he didn't have maybe a ton of catches, he was still playing well. Virtually every offensive snap. And so, you know, that's such a weapon. It's such a threat when you have him out there, even if you're not necessarily throwing the ball to him, you know, every other play. So that would probably become my other question. Again, how effective would he be week one? And then how much is he playing?
Speaker 1: Just period.
Speaker 6: But yeah, I would say Tuesday, John. Yeah, I kind of thought this week, you know, that would be three full weeks. That would be plenty of time. You start to get to next week and it's typically a light week. in the NFL that week just before Labor Day. And then you get into regular season mode after that. So, yeah, the time is starting to tick just a hair faster, I would say.
Speaker 5: Kevin, it looked like reading online that Daniel Jones had another good practice today. And, you know, from my perspective with the Pacers, of course, you have the two leaders of your teams, Daniel Jones, Tyrese Halliburton, both coming back from Achilles injuries. What's impressed you the most about watching Daniel Jones here in training camp?
Speaker 6: Well, first off, great to hear the voice of my basketball coach growing up, and I hope the boys are well and the grandkids are well.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Daniel Jones had a really nice day.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he was 19 to 24 from a very unofficial standpoint. But one thing we've noted kind of in training camp, when they have been hurt at the skill positions, and today he practiced without Alec Pierce, without Josh Downs, without Tyler Warren– the defense has pretty much dominated those days. I would not say that was the case at all today. And again, Keenan Allen had probably five or six catches and he had a big deep ball. Jones did do a Laquan Treadwell with a sauce gardener and combine them.
Speaker 7: But yeah, the most.
Speaker 6: Impressive thing to Jones, I think it's just been the amount of work he's done. You know, the fact that he has taken literally every single starting rep, I think today was the 15th practice we've watched so far. Um, But I thought Tyrese– I'm sure you caught the comments. I thought Tyrese's comments Monday night were, per usual from him, just very honest about their differences in the rehabs in that you look at a calendar and Tyrese will be 16 months removed when we get to October, whatever it is, 21st, whereas Daniel will be nine months removed when the Colts get to September 13th. And Ty was saying on Monday– You know, it's amazing to me how different I felt at 10 months versus 13 months. Just what three months can do for you in this rehab. Yes, at 10 months, did Tyrese think he could play basketball? Yeah, he did. But again, he's made comments before that even some of the practice guys were kind of getting the best of him on the offensive end of the floor three or four months ago, whereas now he feels a lot different. So I think that'll be kind of the looming question then with Jones is when you get to the regular season, it's one thing to play. Again, it's another thing to be himself. And and how much does he feel himself early in the season? And then how much better does he feel as the season moves along?
Speaker 1: Kevin Bowen fan morning show is Kevin James. We're out here a little bit earlier today.
Speaker 4: Noblesville Kroger off of Logan Street. It is help in the heartland. A couple of ways, at least without coming out here, which. We object to we want to see you out here and we want to see you donate at checkout. Whatever amount you possibly can will be great. All staying in central Indiana with the American Red Cross to benefit those here in central Indiana that have been suffering through the floods. of well over a week ago now. Now, if you can't make it out here, it's disappointing, but understandable.
Speaker 1: 317-239-1070.
Speaker 4: The keyword is give there, or you can also donate 1075thefan.
Speaker 1: Com. It is called Help in the Heartland.
Speaker 4: Again, Logan Street, Kroger in Noblesville with Chris Denary, JMV here in the afternoon on Wednesday on The Fan.
Speaker 1: How do you view going into last year, for example?
Speaker 4: And then we saw just how good they were up until, you know, obviously they were compromised with the injury to their quarterback. How do you view what they have this year going into this season compared to how you felt about that team dynamic this time a year ago?
Speaker 7: Good question.
Speaker 6: Um, You know, I'm trying to think what my win law. I think I had them right around nine last year. I probably won't be overwhelmingly different this year. You know, offensively, obviously, I didn't think Daniel Jones and that unit would look historically as good as it did. That was certainly the big outlier. Defensively, it was probably worse than maybe I thought, and that's kind of where the gap was closed to get to a.
Speaker 7: Similar win total, and obviously the injuries played into it.
Speaker 6: I think defensively it's kind of more the volatile unit, you know, if you put injuries to the side of, you know, if Latu takes a third-year jump and if those corners stay healthy, you know, could you really have something that was, you know, certainly not what you.
Speaker 7: Had last year?
Speaker 6: You know, like I thought the Lou Anarumo defense in year one was probably a little bit too much bend but don't break for his liking. I think he wants to be more aggressive. I think he wants to play man coverage with these corners. And I think he wants to bring the house when those opportunities do arise. So is that more of a playmaking defense? Is that more of, you know, a little bit, you know, risk reward too. But yeah, it just seems like, and I'm trying not to go off of Saturday's preseason game, but it's just, you're just banking on a lot, a lot of health situations. And I just worry about the depth of, at those spots and you hear Javerius Ward's comments today about managing back pain and, you know, any 30 year old playing in the NFL, managing back pain for 17 weeks, you know, even putting his injury situation to.
Speaker 7: The side, I think would be difficult. So, you know, it's just those bets. It's Jones.
Speaker 6: It's, you know, we have the receiver position, maybe a little bit of Buckner. That's just a lot at some of your most important players in the roster.
Speaker 4: Kev, I have you here. You cover everything, but certainly the Colts right now. I have Kristen Neri here, the voice of the Pacers. This has been my thought all along. They're similar but different for a reason to me. The Pacers, you bring everybody back, or what is kind of the damning quote around here, running it back. But if you're the Pacers and you're Kevin Pritchard to Chad Buchanan and Rick Carlisle, you do that for a reason because you've seen the results. You've seen how close it was, and you believe in that. With the Colts, you basically bring some folks back, the most legitimate pieces to this puzzle back this year because you didn't have much of a choice. So it's weird how you're kind of forced to believe in what the Colts are doing right now because there's really no other alternative if you do bring everybody back or run it back, especially organizationally and coaching-wise.
Speaker 1: But with the Pacers, you have a belief because you.
Speaker 4: in the core group and what they accomplished and what they could still accomplish with Tyrese Halliburton and his return together it is a very interesting dynamic you you put those two pieces together with the Pacers and the Colts at all in that particular fashion.
Speaker 6: Yeah I can I can hear where that's coming from I mean obviously the Pacers have earned trust of their fan base that the Colts would dream of you know just from what Kevin Pritchard has done In building this championship contender, I would argue, too, the Pacers have probably added a little bit more, depending on how you feel about Ibiza Zubats. But, you know, they've added a little bit more to that. You know, that's why I think there's a misconception about the Colts season. You know, when you hear the phrase run it back, I understand where people come from. Granted, they did lose probably a handful of rather notable players in terms of just pure starts, whether that's Braden Smith or Michael Pittman Jr. or Quiddie Paye or Zaire Franklin or Kenny Moore or Nick Cross. It's just the replacements for those. Okay, Miles Turner, for example, he'd fall into one of those categories of those Colts players I just named, but the thought there is you've replaced him with better. I think there's a debate about, again, how much better are you at some of these departing names that we're seeing here. Is Michael Pittman Jr. and Keenan Allen a wash? Is Braden Smith and Jalen Travis a wash? Is Zyre Franklin, I don't even see, you can say CJ Allen, I don't think he's going to be a week one starter. Is, you know, Zyre Franklin and Akeem Davis Gaither a wash? You know, those are some of the questions that I think you have. Whereas with the Pacers, again, first off, they have deserved earned trust with their fan base and such belief in their head coach. in their core, you know, comparing Rick Carlisle and Shane Steichen's resumes would be a bit ludicrous to do. And then obviously they've added a guy like Zubat to, you know, many believe is an upgrade over what they had at center in the previous run.
Speaker 5: Especially, John and Kevin, what you talk about all the time, John, is what Tyrese Halliburton means to the franchise. And what we saw off the floor, what he did to bring back a sellout crowd at Victory Field and just the love that he has for the organization. and for the city, and for the fans, but importantly, what he does on the floor. I mean, I have been captivated at times going back to YouTube and watching two years ago some of the performances that he has had. in big game situations, whether it was a key regular season game, but more importantly, in that playoff run against the Bucs, the Knicks, the Cavs, and the Thunder. And so that gives you, it's not just hope, Kevin, as you said.
Speaker 2: You've seen it.
Speaker 5: I mean, the Pacers have proven it.
Speaker 2: Over a two-year period.
Speaker 5: And what, to a man, they want to do is show, hey, last year was a blip on the radar. We weren't healthy. We had all kinds of different lineup combinations, I think, approaching, what, 30 to 40 different starting lineups or whatever it was. So I think with that, to your point, is Chad Buchanan has said, look, we owe it to this group to bring them back and let them have another run at it because they were so close two years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And again, I mean, just playoff runs, like even if you remove the run to game seven, I mean, how about the year before, you know, you won two playoff series.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: You then, you know, I know the Boston series ended in a sweep, but I mean, you got to the Eastern Conference finals. I mean, again, to update everybody on the Colts and their recent playoff run, it's 11 years without a division title. It's eight years without a playoff win and it's five years without a playoff appearance in a league where 14 of the 30 team, 40, 14 of the 32, you know, make it, you know, they've, they've up the, the playoff, participants to seven.
Speaker 7: They did that back during the COVID year.
Speaker 6: So now it's, you know, seven of 16 at each conference. So it should be, you know, it is easier than what it was prior to 2020. So, you know, I just think there is some, you know, when you get to April, May, June basketball, it's different. When you get to January football, it's different. And, you know, this group of Colts obviously isn't yet to be there. So I think that's another big, big difference in all this.
Speaker 4: Hey, Kev, very quickly, James and Caleb and I played last night at Center Grove, and Trace Jackson Davis played with us, and then today his younger brother, Taven Jackson, was named the starting quarterback, which we felt all along was going to be the case. North Texas, they score off against the defending national champion football Hoosiers in game number one. How interesting is that dynamic going to be for you? I know this football is back and talking about you being a defending national champion is just weird enough the way that it is, but and a former Hoosier, former center Grover, and all that going into Bloomington in week number one.
Speaker 7: Yeah, James and I.
Speaker 6: Were talking about that earlier, just how, you know, Taven Jackson is kind of this, he's almost this forgotten character at times in all of this IU talk. You know, if you want to go back to the Brendan Sorsby conversation, wasn't it him and Brendan Sorsby competing for the starting job years ago? Can you imagine how things could have been different had Sorsby won that? And then again, he's Curtis Rourke's backup. I think he started a game.
Speaker 7: If I remember correctly.
Speaker 6: He didn't Rourke injure his thumb late in the season. And I think Taven started a game or two there late. And then obviously, you know, he transfers and here he's coming back for that game. So, yeah, I would say, you know, Honestly, you could be starting for North Texas and I'd be thrilled to be talking about college football and not talking about everything else that goes on with college football.
Speaker 7: But yes, that is definitely an added storyline.
Speaker 6: And I would imagine one that Taven and his brother and many others down there on the south side will be paying attention to come noon next Saturday.
Speaker 4: A good friend, Ray, too, who is just an excellent dude. It's going to be interesting. It's a good way to put it right there. Kev, I appreciate it. Thanks for you and Jane for being out here earlier today. And thanks for the conversation on this Wednesday, pal.
Speaker 1: We appreciate it.
Speaker 7: You boys look great on the Zoom. Chris, as I said, best to you and the family. And tell Evan and company I said hi.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 1: I will. Thank you, bud. That's Kevin Bowen right there, Fan Morning Show.
Speaker 4: To discuss that and more around the NFL from the NFL Network, you see him really all over, too, and you can find him on social media platforms. For example, you can find him on X with a lot of his breakdown and a lot of his videos at Baldy NFL. Brian Baldinger is with us now. Brian, thank you for the time today.
Speaker 1: How are you, pal?
Speaker 3: I'm good, guys. Good to be with you, man. Good listening to you here. Glad to join you.
Speaker 1: I want to start here.
Speaker 4: Your impression on the Colts offensively being able to be as good, as prominent this season as they were before the Daniel Jones injury of a year ago?
Speaker 3: I think they have a chance. I mean, you know, they just gave Alec Pierce a big fat contract, and Kyler Warren comes back for a second year. They rebuilt their offensive line last year. Jonathan Taylor had a great season. Daniel Jones was playing great up until the injury. Really great up until Pittsburgh. I think they were 8-1 or 8-2 when they went to Pittsburgh. It seemed like it was kind of downhill from there. Obviously, once the injury took over, they had trouble winning the football game. I think they could return. The one thing about Daniel, those first eight or ten games, he was as accurate as I've ever seen him. And the deep ball was in play. The big chunk plays were in play. He never played better in the first 10 games last year. And just watching him. out of Graham Park this summer and talking to him, you can't really tell that he had the injury. And so that's a good sign right now.
Speaker 5: Brian, this is Chris Denary, voice of the Pacers on DAZN coming up. But a longtime NFL fan, of course, have followed the Colts since they moved back in the 80s.
Speaker 2: You're an offensive lineman.
Speaker 5: You look at the great strength of this current Colts team. You look at the five guys that are going to throw out there and start in front of Jonathan Taylor and Daniel Jones. How impressed are you with with the potential of this Colts offensive line?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm really impressed. I mean, you know, to be able to... Change out some really good players there for Bortolini and Gonsalves. Rebuild that offense line. We're going to see what Jalen Travis looks like this year. Replacing a pretty good player, Braden Smith. That's going to be where all eyes are going. But obviously it starts with Quinton inside. But I feel like they've got a lot of continuity there except for the right tackle. They're very well coached. They're a great offensive line coach. You know, Johnson Taylor was just awesome last year. Led the league in, you know, rushing touchdowns and rushing attempts and had, you know, probably the second best season ever. Like, they should be very good.
Speaker 1: Up front, you know.
Speaker 3: We'll see what, you know, what Giddens looks like, you know, as a backup and taking some carries off him, maybe what McGowan can give him. But I expect it to be very good. They've got continuity there. They're well coached, and they've got good players up front.
Speaker 1: Brian Baldinger joins us again at Baldy NFL.
Speaker 4: You can find a lot of his video work and breakdowns on social media.
Speaker 1: I look at the start of the schedule. What's that? Sorry about that.
Speaker 4: I look at the start of the regular season for the Colts.
Speaker 1: There's no gimme's. There's no gimme's anywhere. Don't get me wrong.
Speaker 4: But you start with Baltimore, for example, on the road to Kansas City on a Sunday night, Houston, and then on the road in London, Jaden Daniels, Washington, Pittsburgh after that.
Speaker 1: You feel comfortable about them?
Speaker 4: If they're able to navigate that, not get buried by that, do you feel comfortable about the remainder of their schedule and what they might be able to do accomplishment-wise within the AFC South this year?
Speaker 3: The AFC South, it's a different conference, different division than what it's been. I mean, Jacksonville won 13 games. That defense is stout. Houston has the best defense in football. That's no joke. The Ravens have been that team. They weren't last year. We'll see if they get back to their ways. Just watching Kansas City two weeks ago, you can't tell that Patrick Mahomes had a surgery. Like, he literally, he's going to start, he's coming off a Monday night game. When you see him against Denver to open the season, so it's a short week for them. But honestly, you can't project any of this stuff. You know, the Ravens might be really good, but we don't know what Lamar and Derrick Henry are going to look like with a new coach and a new system and a new coach, a new offense coordinator, offense line coach. It's all new there. Kansas City is completely rebuilding their defense. I don't know how good they're going to be early in the season. So, you know, you've got to be ready to play. But the fact is... you know, just watching last week's game against Atlanta, like nobody's playing. So, you know, I'm comfortable saying that September is the new August. And so you're going to find out what you have and what you don't have in some of those matchups you talk about to start the season and what you need to get better at, what you need to fix and, and how you better, you know, figure out ways to win games. But again, You're not going to know until you go against Baltimore on September 13th and see Kansas City on that Sunday night. You're going to be trying to figure out your team in those first couple weeks.
Speaker 5: Brian, are you amazed to see, and you mentioned it with Patrick Mahomes coming back from that knee injury. Colts, of course, have Daniel Jones recovering from the Achilles injury. In all your years after you played, just what the doctors can do now and players returning much quicker than they used to from significant injuries like ACLs or Achilles?
Speaker 3: I'm absolutely amazed. I saw Daniel Jones, like I said a couple weeks ago, talk to him. These guys attack rehab now. It's not maybe like it used to be, but it's all day, every day.
Speaker 1: But that doesn't... make.
Speaker 3: The injury feel better. Sometimes, sometimes you need it to rest a little bit, but I am amazed at seeing those two quarterbacks move around and watch them practice. And like, there's no giddy up. There's no, you know, nobody's limping. Nobody, they all look like they're as good as new. So I am amazed, completely amazed. And maybe my home's a little bit more just because that was two major knee ligaments that he had repaired. I talked to their trainers in Kansas city about it and what he did, but yeah, Both quarterbacks look ready to go. Now, are the injuries completely healed? It looks like it, but who's to really say? So I hope that they're healed and they're ready for a 17-game schedule.
Speaker 4: Brian Baldinger, who joins us, is the biggest difference in what you witnessed with Daniel Jones while he's in New York compared to just that portion of high-level football he played for Shane Steichen with the Colts before that injury last year? Is the biggest difference that of his relationship and the coaching ability, offensively speaking, of Shane Steichen here?
Speaker 3: I think it reflects well on Shane. He did similar things in Philadelphia. He's an aggressive guy. He wants to take his shots, and they did last year. They're going to be without a really good player that went on to Pittsburgh, but that's life in the NFL. Josh Downs can step up. I think Ty Warren has a chance for a really good season. But, but Shane is, he knows how to protect and he knows how to attack defenses. We saw even last week in a preseason game, I saw that kid Coleman Cohen, Owen, that's a big 40 yard pass down. And like the way that they attack that defense in Atlanta. it's pretty good. That'd be tough to cover by just about anybody. And so he's going to get guys open. Can you anticipate the throw? Can you make the throw? Can you complete a pass like Riley did to Owen there for 40 yards? Can you make the play when it's there? The plays I think are going.
Speaker 1: To be there.
Speaker 3: How he got Ty Warren open, from the fullback position into the flat sometimes last year. I feel like he's a very creative play caller and designer.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned Michael Pittman Jr.
Speaker 4: Going to Pittsburgh, and with that they bring in Keenan Allen, the veteran wide receiver.
Speaker 1: As of last week, I'm curious your thoughts.
Speaker 4: He normally rolls out of bed no matter what age and produces to the level in which a team wants.
Speaker 1: Would you expect that?
Speaker 4: Him to be that firm results wise as a wide receiver in Shane Steichen's offense this season Keenan.
Speaker 3: Has always been very quarterback friendly. He's a great route runner. Not everybody is. He knows how to, I think at his age and the amount of games he's played, he's probably best suited for the slot, which is where Josh Downs is. But, you know, maybe they come up with different packages right now. And he's excellent at beating them. And that's been his specialty since he came into this league. And for that, the way that he does it with the type of routes that he runs that he's really good at, it's quarterback friendly. He's going to get separation from the defender. So I think there's a place for him in this offense. I don't know that he can do what Pitt did on the outside. I don't know that he can run like that. But at the same time, he is a guy that is a big receiver, and he does win his one-on-ones. And so there's a place for those guys in this league.
Speaker 4: You referenced, too, Brian, Alec Pierce a little bit earlier, coming back from an off-season surgery, but getting the high dollars, the extension, and a lot of money. And prior to, you know, as far as catching the football, especially getting down the field and doing that, he was really good. But now you have to become more of a well-rounded wide receiver, and you're going to be the target, the absolute target of everybody. How do you think once he gets healthy and is back playing again, he responds to all of that? And certainly more so than the money and everything else, but the newfound bullseye that he's going to have week after week with defenses trying to take something away from him.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, he only caught 47 passes. Now, he averaged over 20 yards a catch. That got him over 1,000. He's a big play receiver. He's not a volume receiver. You're not probably going to target him 12 times like you would some other receivers in this league. You've got to make the targets count. That's what they've done with him. That's what they did with him last year. To your point, when you've got the target on your back and you get the money, you're going to get brackets. You're going to get number one corners. You're going to get a lot of attention. And we got to see how he handles it. Now, he's a guy that runs well, really well. And so we got to see how he handles that attention. Not everybody does. But he also is the guy that doesn't get targeted a lot. in a lot of games, it doesn't seem to bother him. He'll, he'll catch the one for 30 and take the top off the defense and be maybe content with two catches, but a big touchdown, a big play that flips field position, whatever. That's kind of the type of guy he's been. So I think it's still going to go to a lot of other players, but you know, when, when they need the chunks, like that's the, that's going to be the guy that we're going to go to and we'll see how he handles the attention that he gets.
Speaker 4: You referenced, too, both Jacksonville and Houston within the AFC South, Brian. And one is with Houston, the defense, which can be dominant. But now there's some questions surrounding C.J.
Speaker 1: Stroud. Your thoughts on the Texans quarterback?
Speaker 4: And then, again, are we going to see another move toward even more results with Trevor Lawrence in year number two, which seemed to work out incredibly well for him and that Jacksonville offense under Liam Cohen?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, look, Houston is the best defense in football, and they just brought a number one pick in a defense attack, and it's pretty good. There's no answer for Will Anderson Jr. and the way he plays the game, the way that D'Amico calls the game. It's aggressive.
Speaker 1: Now, C.J.
Speaker 3: Is going to be as good as the guys around him, and that's true of most quarterbacks. They fired the offensive coordinator, offensive line coaches twice since he's been there. They got the same group now coming back this year. They let one of the best left tackles in football go, Laramie Tunsil. If you replace him with a rookie tackle, no quarterback is going to be better being replaced by a rookie tackle and letting Laramie Tunsil go. So I'm defending CJ because it's not really fair. And they ran the ball in a playoff loss to New England. They ran the ball for all of 42 yards. He's not going to be better if they can run the ball for 42 yards. So they need to get better. They need the running game to be better for CJ to be better for Jacksonville. That was quite a turnaround. And that, That coach Campanile, that coach defense, they were awful the year before. They let guys run free all over the field every week. It was embarrassing. This Campanile is a good coach, and they really fix things all the way through defensively. They lost Travis Etienne, which was a big part of their offense last year. They drafted two running backs last year, Bashaun Tootin, who they're going to ask to really step up this year. But honestly, they got better when they traded for Jacoby Myers. And, you know, they started going away from Brian Thomas. And, you know, they went to, you know, different guys like Parker Washington. And both those guys were difficult to stop. And the quarterback played the best he's ever played. I love Liam Cohen and what he has done to that team. I don't know if they're going to win 13 games, but when you can go into Denver and put up 30 on that defense last year like they did, that team was for real.
Speaker 4: All right, one final thing with Brian Baldinger with us. Again, Brian Baldinger, NFL Network. He does a variety of things, and you can see videos as well at Baldy NFL of him breaking down everything.
Speaker 1: You had video.
Speaker 4: Going back to end of the weekend of Harrison Butker hitting from 69. Obviously doesn't count because it's the preseason.
Speaker 1: I kind of want to play off my friend.
Speaker 4: Kristen Aries question about, you know, the evolution of medicine and getting players like Daniel Jones back and playing again as quickly as it has now. Is that more surprising or is it the leg strength and the accuracy of the modern day NFL place kicker in what we're seeing?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, you just had a kicker go to the Hall of Fame, and, you know, he couldn't. You would never put him out there and kick a 69-yard field goal. I mean, it's changed. You get to midfield now. There's kickers out there in Dallas, in Kansas City. You know, you could get points. It's completely changed the game. And so, you know, it used to be if it was fourth and sixth at the 50, you were trying to put the ball inside the 15-yard line. Now you're kicking off and you're getting three points. So it's changed. It's changed an awful lot. And those times with Bill Belichick, even with great kickers, never attempted. He went a year without attempting a 50-yard field goal. It was better to, you know, go play field position. Well, that's changed now. And the punters aren't much different. I was talking to McAfee just a couple of weeks ago about it. He goes, there's no such thing as out kicking your coverage, get better coverage guys, kick the damn ball as far as you can kick it. You know, that's, that was Pat's message to me. And it's, he's right. Like these guys are putting the ball in the air, 16, 70 yards right now. Like it's, it, you can flip field position, the pot game. You can get points on almost like if you get the ball at the 30 yard line, you get the ball to midfield with a buck or, you know, whatever. I mean, you come away with three points, get one first down.
Speaker 4: Hey, Brian, in closing here, how does that change coaching philosophies around the NFL with kickers and punters with that in mind?
Speaker 3: It changes a lot. I mean, just look what's going on in Denver right now. I mean, Davis Webb is calling plays, and Sean Payton is one of the great play callers. But in a playoff loss to Buffalo, he decided, with a backup quarterback, it was better to go for it on fourth and one rather than take the points, the field goal. You know, the weather came in, changed everything. Like, it changes a lot. It changes how you think about fourth downs. It changes what you think about on third down and 10 yards from the 50. And maybe you just play for the field goal or not. Or maybe you stay on the field because you don't have a guy that can do that. So it brings a lot more coaching decisions into play with what's going on right now and what these kickers can do and punchers can do.
Speaker 4: It's Brian Baldinger with us. I want people to track down, Al, you do so much in breaking down nearly everything. How can they track you down and where are we going to see you next?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm on ESPN now. I'm at ESPN, so I signed a new deal with them. So I'll be on a lot of their shows. And all these breakdowns will be front and center after every game all year long. And so you can follow me on all the social media platforms at Baldy NFL. And I'll still pop up on the NFL Network doing some things as well.
Speaker 1: Hey, we always have to end on your time here in Indy.
Speaker 4: How was that for you, looking back on that? Because we're a part of an effort right now, Hoosiers helping Hoosiers with the floods of last week.
Speaker 1: How was your time spent here in Indy back in the day?
Speaker 3: I say God bless America and Indianapolis four straight years in a row. I love playing there. I love the community. I'm a huge college basketball fan. I got to see Bobby Knight and IU were down there at Alumni Hall. I mean, I just dated a girl who was a cheerleader at Indiana.
Speaker 1: I mean, I loved... Living in.
Speaker 3: The state of Indiana, I thought, man, what a great place to raise kids, raise families. I love race month, the month of May. I can't say enough good things. I love the new airport in Indiana. I love being downtown in that city. I can't say enough good things about the state of Indiana and the city of Indianapolis.
Speaker 4: Brian Baldinger, the former Colts player. Check him out on ESPN. Just a variety of platforms, ESPN, socials, and even more.
Speaker 1: Breaking down the NFL.
Speaker 4: Before the season officially gets started on the Andy Moore Automotive Group hotline. Brian, it's been an absolute pleasure. Thank you for hopping on here today. We shall do it again once things are real during the NFL season.
Speaker 3: Let's get to that place of real football, all right? I can't get there fast enough.
Speaker 1: You got it, pal. Thank you. Okay.
Speaker 3: Yep. You bet, guys. See you, man.
Speaker 4: Brian Baldinger on the Andy Moore Automotive Group hotline right there.