Speaker 1: The Frames per Second Podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to another episode of the Frame for a Second podcast. I'm your host for the evening. My name is Mike. Next to me, I have Spike. Across from Spike, I have Ken, and next to Ken, I have Rod. And today we are covering a special one. We are covering nineteen eighty three's sleep Away Camp.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: This is an.
Speaker 2: Anniversary film, which is why we're doing it because it would seem totally random otherwise.
Speaker 1: It is an anniversary film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the fortieth or thirtieth, probably fortieth three.
Speaker 1: No, we didn't.
Speaker 2: Why are we doing this thing just because that movie's.
Speaker 4: Coming out that we were going to review the camp camps. Aim in my asked like, Yo, should we see sleep Away Camp? And he was just like maybe probably, Oh.
Speaker 2: Oh, but that's not why we we didn't. You're right that now. I do remember saying that we should do it.
Speaker 5: That's why. That's why I asked, was the right year in the chat? It was like eighty three, Yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: Right, because yeah, this is in preparation for teenage Sex and Death at Camp Miasma because it has sleep Away Camp references. Just from what I've seen, I feel like they're going to reference this.
Speaker 1: Movie a lot.
Speaker 2: But god, that seems like a really dumb reason to review this. But okay, I guess I'm dumb.
Speaker 1: We do that though it's part of it too.
Speaker 2: It seems weird.
Speaker 1: It's part of the movie.
Speaker 3: We talked about reviewing it last year as well, So it's a couple of reasons why we're reviewing its anniversary.
Speaker 1: And is that what it was crazy about it?
Speaker 2: That sounds for me that yeah, that sounds that's what it was.
Speaker 1: That's what it was.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, either way, we're reviewing it, y'all. We are talking about it today.
Speaker 1: So I'm going around the room.
Speaker 2: I assume nobody here has seen this movie before, so this will be interesting. I'm gonna say the best for last Rod. What did you think about this movie? I'm sorry my bad. I was kind of rude, but.
Speaker 3: Right because you're not the best.
Speaker 4: I was trying to give it a chance. Man, I just it's too many elements that it was just too many elements. It's just like, I don't know, I just acting was bad. And I know acting was kind of bad back in the early eighties some time. But we did have some good acting in the eighties, and I'm just like, I can't give it that excuse. Overall, story just just wasn't that great.
Speaker 2: It's just just too many things that I just didn't enjoy about it.
Speaker 1: From a what do you call it?
Speaker 2: Campy horror element, Sure it has all of that, but I'm not a big fan of that personally.
Speaker 4: So that's why for me it wasn't that much. It wasn't that of an enjoyable watch.
Speaker 1: For me, ken it wasn't a bad watch.
Speaker 3: I was able to kind of contextualize the movie for the year that it was in. It's a slasher film, so you know what you're gonna get with that, and really just trying to say a in eighty three eighty four whenever I watched it, like, how would I know responded or reacted to this movie, especially when I was youngest, So I definitely feel like it's one of those you had to be there. It's one of the movies to really appreciate, like what was going on here? So adjusting my viewing experience to the time, I understand, well, I do get the cult following it has now, but I don't think it was that bad. You know, I don't think it was great. But I think for the time, I think it was a perfectly okay movie, you know so, and I think it would have worked and just been like one of those where that's like right in the.
Speaker 1: Middle or a little bit below the middle.
Speaker 2: Okay, where did you think about sleep Away Camp?
Speaker 5: It was like it was like a low budget like Jason movie or something like. It seemed like a knockoff of a real slasher film. I wasn't sure I was watching the right thing, That's why I know, and nobody cared either, Like I just asked and nobody was like, yeah, this is the right one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you just watched it. It ain't it. I ain't watching enough. It was funny how they like I thought that if you put the words in separately, it will something messe will pop up.
Speaker 1: What'd you watch it on to me?
Speaker 2: Or I think it was too lucky that they just took it off to but because it's a part two. Yeah there's part two, there's part three, and then there's a return to sleep Away Camp.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's what I saw.
Speaker 2: That's what the first when I was putting it in, one of those was popping.
Speaker 1: It was the rake.
Speaker 5: So yeah, yeah, it was typical like what you guys are saying slash the film eighties. If you've seen I feel like one movie from that era, you've seen them all, with the exception of the twist at the end. So yeah, this movie never crossed I mean, y'ah, I've never heard it.
Speaker 3: Thinking about in all my life, I didn't. I never heard of this movie until Mike brought it up last year or so. But even as a kid, I don't even know. This never crossed my reading. I never heard of this same.
Speaker 1: Was it underground?
Speaker 2: Like? Was it like a I mean no, it was no more underground than any of the other old Slashers back then. One more one more.
Speaker 4: Like that's like was that you would consider like kind of not supermans because this come out in the theaters?
Speaker 1: Did it?
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure it did, because I don't know.
Speaker 3: What what I looked up after I watched it.
Speaker 1: It did. I'm pretty sure it did. I just don't I don't think it performs well. But don't do that.
Speaker 2: But you know, movies like The Burning or you know, Tourist Trap, those like Slashers had a run because they were fairly easy formulas. You just have, uh, you know, a person, whether you want to give him a motive or not. He's just going around killing people, but who knows why. You know, this is a pretty standard slasher movie. The the twist is what made it, you know, a cult classic. If the lead actress, you know, if she's at a comic con, everyone knows what she's there for, like, oh, you're Angela from sleep Away Camp. Do the face, do the face, do the face? And she still does it. Yeah, she still does it. So yeah, I mean it was just as quote unquote popular as some of the more less mainstream slasher films. But yeah, it didn't perform very well because even for that era of slashers, this was pretty low budget. They didn't have any famous actors or actresses. I think the effects are pretty good, honestly, but we'll get to that.
Speaker 1: But I think this movie is good.
Speaker 2: I do understand people looking at it and being like, this is extremely offensive, So I feel bad talking about that. I think that I put this movie in that category, the same category of like Eminem's Marshall Matters LP. The fucking album is great, but it's extremely homophobic. It's extremely offensive. I get it. So it's like one of those things where you're like, yes, it is a fucked up piece of art, but the same time, it's kind of hard to deny the entertainment value from it. But I can also say that because I'm not in the queer community. So if somebody from that community was like, that's fucked up, I'm not gonna argue, like, yep, you're right, that is fucked up. It's like white people be talking about how they love mel Brooks films. You know what I'm saying, Like, is it Blazing Saddles, that's mel Brooks right where it's just nigger this, nigga that, Or how much they love Tarantino films. It's like, all right, bro, I get it. But you know, anyways, it did have a theatrical release. Yeah, figured, yeah, I figured, but I don't think it performed very well in the theaters.
Speaker 1: It made eleven million at that time. That's pretty good to me.
Speaker 2: That is good because they only use three hundred k I think, so that is good. The second one had a limited theatrical release. Well, the second and the third one had nothing to do. They didn't have the same actress and the director didn't do those. Yeah, and I mean I've seen all of them, and the second the third one really had nothing. They had nothing to do with the first one. The third DVD figures.
Speaker 4: So first one did well with I'm sure I'm surprised the second one didn't do well.
Speaker 1: You said, what didn't happen?
Speaker 3: But I think the critics, okay, I could see that because the original the original one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: Well we're gonna go ahead and run through this bad boy.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: So the movie starts off. There's a guy on the lake with his kids. Uh, he has a son and a daughter, and while they're on the water, an accident happens, which kills the father and one of the kids. So, Spike, when you when you first cut this on, and that's the beginning where you were you on board or were you already like this is stupid? I was already like this is stupid. I would not that harsh of it.
Speaker 5: No, I was wondering where they were gonna take us with the death, like just gonna make this little.
Speaker 2: The person that was left back.
Speaker 5: Was it gonna make them some like evil spirit or something like that?
Speaker 1: That might have been better? Right? All right?
Speaker 3: Rod?
Speaker 1: What about you? I unfortunately figured it out at this point.
Speaker 2: How'd you figure it out? This is one of my biggest issues with this film.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when the kid was swimming in the water and I was just like, oh, I think I know what's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: I really don't know why they did that. Yeah, it's been granted. When I was a kid and I saw this, I saw this problem. I was like, ten, I didn't I didn't pick that up. But as an adult looking at it, You're like, why the fuck did you do that? You just gave the whole movie away.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Kenny, you didn't show you didn't show the face purposely, And I was just like, ah, man, you see the hair.
Speaker 1: You see the hair?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I'm like, yeah, got it. So yeah, that was the first thing I thought about.
Speaker 1: I was like, damn it.
Speaker 2: This is why I'm like watching trailers and all that type of stuff, because certain things I could pick up on and what they're gonna do.
Speaker 1: And so yeah, that's that. That was my only issue early on. Yeah, the uh.
Speaker 2: The boat that them, that was really obvious. She wasn't looking ahead of it, Like, Yo, how long are you gonna not look in front of you?
Speaker 1: Like Jesus kind of in an open body of water shore, Yeah, something like come on, y'all. So, yeah, that was that was that was crazy? Ken. Did you figure it out at the beginning or.
Speaker 3: No, I mean not not like that, No, but I mean that the da You know, of course we knew he was gone because they showed up the life jacket and I suspected that that, you know, the kid may not make it up with all. But I was just so stuck on the yelling that the girl was doing. Like we didn't even see anything. They don't have any blood in this movie, which is funny.
Speaker 1: They did, I mean they did not. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the shower scene when she when uh, oh, yeah Meg, I think her name is Meg, right, I think I was?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what was I thinking about that? Yeah, you're right, it was a lot. Well.
Speaker 2: Eight years later, we catch up with uh Richard aka Ricky and Angela and they live with Ricky's mom Martha. What did you think of Aunt Martha? Spike? No, that just won't do no, no, no, no.
Speaker 5: One was talking the riddles and stuff. Yes, it was supposed to be a doctor or something. I just marked this down. A's crazy in this movie, just being crazy. Later on, something came from her being crazy though, right, Well, yeah, we'll get there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, I just thought she was a crazy person. I mean, the basically the whole movie came for her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was a driving force behind what happened.
Speaker 3: But I really didn't think too much about her at the moment because it was.
Speaker 1: Really just like, damn, just being sent to camp.
Speaker 3: So that's all I looked at it, just the same for like, hey, we're gonna go to camp, and you gotta go to camp, and that was it. Okay, it was a little over top for me, like them, just make this a little bit more believable.
Speaker 1: Why are y'all gonna be over.
Speaker 2: I know, And like you said, I was trying my best to put myself back in that place, but it was it was hard.
Speaker 1: It was tough. I can't lie. It was tough.
Speaker 2: I've never I mean, I'm assuming this was intentional because the acting in the movie is bad, but Aunt Martha, if she's supposed to be serious, she's terrible. So I'm assuming that this was intentional to kind of show that she was having a mental break. But yeah, I fuck with on Martha. Martha's crazy as shit. But uh, Ricky and Angelo are sent to camp and at camp we meet mel mel Is a guy who runs the camp. We meet Ben, who is the cook, the black guy, which, by the way, that y'all know who he was. Oh man, I'm sorry, so you don't know his last name Earl Jones. So really that's James, Earl Jones's father. Really I could tell you. Yeah, for sure. I was like, he looks. He reminds me they couldn't get James Jones.
Speaker 1: James like, no, I'm not doing that ship. Better call my daddy. He ain't doing nothing right now. That's wow. That is really cool.
Speaker 3: Though I didn't know his act well he doesn't, but I know he was in his dad was the movie.
Speaker 1: You know who else is in this acting? This?
Speaker 2: Y'all know the situation from Jersey Shore.
Speaker 1: No heard about him.
Speaker 2: Before though, okay, well for those of you that do know whose situation is, his brother is in this movie is.
Speaker 1: Damn that's being Earl Jones. That's crazy. That is James.
Speaker 2: I was thinking when I see him, I thoughts, look like, look like once you know, you won't unsee it. He looks like him and he's sure the funk sounds like it's crazy.
Speaker 1: But yeah.
Speaker 2: Then we also meet Artie who's the white cook and then we meet probably Spike's favorite character in the whole film, Ronnie. Ronnie is a dude that's just wearing the shorts that of the Oh my god, he.
Speaker 1: May as well just being fucking drunk, especially from the back. What the hell.
Speaker 2: Put some clothes on it?
Speaker 1: All the boys? Yeah, the truck is crazy in this movie. Yo, what is happening? Yeah?
Speaker 2: All the men and boys were dressed kind of wide. Especially actually the men were dressed worse than the It's like the dude had crop top, the hal the top.
Speaker 1: I was like, bro, what they.
Speaker 2: I couldn't what is happening?
Speaker 1: Right? There is a string.
Speaker 4: I remember niggas used to wear biker ships and ship I remember that error. Yeah, I remember the biker short era, but like, nah, man, this was the pumps in the bump.
Speaker 1: But no, man, I.
Speaker 2: Was like, yo, wowest dream short short. Don't know, man, but it's fucking It's funny as hell to me, dude, this movie is so weird.
Speaker 6: You would love to have more content from Frames per Second. Become a patron where you can contribute to what we review and discuss. Our Patreon gives the listeners the power to nominate and vote a monthly discussion and film review, while also nominating and voting on weekly solo reviews from each cast member. You also get the opportunity to vote on the publicly released anniversary film, all exclusive to our Patreon, So become a patron at patreon dot com frames per second where there are two tiers you can choose from. That's Patreon dot com forward slash frames per second.
Speaker 1: We also meet Paul.
Speaker 2: Paul is Ricky's friend who tells Ricky about Judy. You know, apparently she's got big old t d's or whatever. I guess, but they never really made it all the way clear. But it looked like Ricky and Judy like had like a little thing the previous summer. We're not sure how deep that thing was for Judy clearly clearly wasn't that deep. But we also meet camp counselors Susie and Meg. But what did y'all think about how Angela was behaving towards the other people at camp? Did y'all just think she was special? Or did you think she was crazy?
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 3: I thought that traumatized from what happened. I don't know if it was it's not the same camp right, whether it happened, so she went back.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, So I was I was right about that.
Speaker 2: Camp.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I thought she just went back to a place where a tragic event happened, and she just shut down and was just looking at everybody like I'm with them, Man, what the fuck is wrong with you.
Speaker 1: Looking at me like that?
Speaker 3: But I wouldn't have kept messing with her because I'm like that motherfucker crazy right.
Speaker 1: Also as a kid, I get it too.
Speaker 3: Because you you bully other kids that are weird so you can fit in peer pressure whatever whatever. The other thing I thought was interesting just as a quick as side. Well, I know we'll get to that scene. But I was thinking about, like how the teenagers were talking among each other. And I remember I was playing with my my wife. I was in there cooking something like that. It was on and we were watching it. I was like, I was like, and I was remember the conversation they were having about Judy and the other person.
Speaker 1: I was like, dangn these movies did used to.
Speaker 3: Kind of promote sex at a young age to like teenagers and stuff like it was normal, like you had to.
Speaker 1: Be normalized it. Bro.
Speaker 3: I was like, yo, this is kind of like looking back, I'm like, yo, this is crazy. Ye now something would they would say, they would like you have set you get killed, you know, so it was like that.
Speaker 1: But I was just like, yo, this is crazy.
Speaker 3: So I thought that that was interesting just looking at it as an adult now and what the times were.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, No, Angela is doing an amazing job of playing like she's fucking insane. So did y'all take it as she was insane or did y'all take think she was slow or both?
Speaker 1: I didn't say.
Speaker 4: I didn't think insane and just that she was just I won't even say necessarily shot. Well, I guess shine a sense more. I lean more towards just like like just not social, because I mean she was like that at the house. It wasn't just the camp. She just just quiet. But yeah, that's that's just I didn't take any further.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I thought since Mike was holding it in, since I regarded the little girl was crazy and she was just like flip out on everybody's like, so something crazy it was gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Well, she seems to not want to talk or eat, and Ronnie with his little short shorts, he tries to help her by taking her to the kitchen again to get the cooks to try to find her something that she actually may want to eat, but something goes down in the walking closet between her and Artie. But then Lartie gets what he deserves a few minutes later when a pot of boiling water falls on him. So what did y'all think of this part? And were y'all surprised that they were putting like pedal shit in this?
Speaker 4: I was yeah, yeah, like immediately because he was saying that when they were like fresh, mean like, I'm like, what the hell?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And now I'm trying to guess the movies. I'm like, oh, so not gets the movie. But I was like, oh, this is what type of movie this is? So I was like, oh, this is weird, but you know, yeah, yeah that that that kind of But I was like, dang man doing this like in the eighties, like that too.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, but then what happened to him made sense.
Speaker 3: It was like he's thinking, this beaver who knows what he's done before, because it seemed like I don't know if Ben kind of knew it.
Speaker 1: This way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, oh dude, Because he was saying the ship to Ben Oh yeah, yeah, not too young or something like that.
Speaker 1: I'm like, god, dang, bro.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah when something happened to him being said he was a wild water or something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I also wonder like, did Ronnie know, Yeah, he knew to take her to the kitchen?
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 2: I don't think I thought you was talking about to do to own it?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, tell me yeah, because it was Yeah, it was just weird. Was like, oh, let me take it to the kitchen to get something to me. It was like, bro, why are you taking that in the kitchen.
Speaker 2: He doesn't seemed like the type just from the movie. He doesn't seem like the type that would have brought that little girl to Artie and just been like, yeah, go in the closet with him.
Speaker 1: He's fine.
Speaker 2: I don't think. I don't think he knew. But yeah, this is one of those things where it's like the special effects always get me because they're they're so good for such a low budget film. Showing him burning like that, I thought the effects looked great. Anybody got any thoughts in the baseball game. If not, we'll keep going.
Speaker 1: More short shorts. I remember it, but not like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right. So that night some kids are picking on Angela with prompts Ricky and Paul to get in a fight with them. And afterwards, my boy Paul lays that fucking pimp game down on Angela. But after that, Kenny, one of the kids who was picking on Angela is killed in a boat. What did y'all think of this part?
Speaker 3: First of the fights back in the day, the eighties, fights.
Speaker 1: When they just get on the ground and just around.
Speaker 2: One punch, they have the one then anything else is rolling on for position.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but boys, is so stupid, like you like this girl, Rod, or maybe they were just bullying them. I don't know, but I'm like, you like this girl, You're gonna drive him out of here and dump her in the water.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's pretty standard. Yeah, sounds like something little little boys would do, get little teenage boys. It's definitely one.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was. It was so stupid.
Speaker 3: But of course he was gonna die because yeah, anybody that picked on her was was a rap.
Speaker 4: But could you do that to get close to them or just like joke around. It's like, yeah, boys do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so stupid. Angela must be a hell of a swimmer. That's what I was thinking, Like, I was like, what is happening right now?
Speaker 2: She's just gonna pop up out the water like that?
Speaker 1: Uh so that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just more gripes, more gripes, Like okay, how how is this possible?
Speaker 1: She's just treading water right here?
Speaker 2: Just they both just are they standing up?
Speaker 1: Like what is happening? Like?
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, I like the sea sneak seat snake came out, you know the end when he all that was because it was just talking about seat snakes.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, I didn't even yeah I pick pick that part out, but yeah, it was just I was just bothered more damn, that's all it looked.
Speaker 3: I mean, it wasn't one of the that skills. I think it was the weakest killed out of all of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you don't see it.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, I'm just asking. But the after the fact, I thought it was good. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's that's all fun.
Speaker 1: It's just yeah, I just I just wanted to give him this movie much grace. That's all.
Speaker 2: You either, same damn.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Well, the next day, Paul asked Angela to go the movies with him, and after the movie, Paul tells her he wants to show her something and he kisses her real quick. Did anybody think this was weird? Or do you think this was just like Little Boys?
Speaker 1: Paul is the one.
Speaker 2: The friend that ended up liking Angela got you?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: Was it weird that he was asking her, like, yo, what's wrong with you? Was it weird that he said, come on, I want to show you something and then he brought her around the corner and he kissed her, and then she looked upset a little bit and he was like, you know, before you go, can I have another one?
Speaker 1: That's what she said.
Speaker 2: That's what he said.
Speaker 1: But she liked it? Right?
Speaker 3: I can't remember.
Speaker 2: It didn't seem like it.
Speaker 4: I thought she would talk. I thought we was trying to walk away. She was just like, she said something to him. That's the same boy, right, What is somebody else? There's only one boy that she talks to besides Ricky, and it's Paul.
Speaker 1: That's what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: Yes, but in that scene, in this scene, she didn't seem like she liked.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: No, she said I have to go and she goes inside.
Speaker 4: Hmmm, I'm not sure if it seemed wrong to me right here? Yeah, I'm not sure that way it.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of in between because on one hand, I could see that she been staring at everybody with these buck eyes, and he's the only one that she's willing to talk to.
Speaker 1: So this.
Speaker 3: Could read and it was maybe read it to me as if she was just still so somewhat reserved and shy and not ready to kind of fully come out and express reciprocation. So so that's why I was like, oh, yeah, you know what, I gotta go, I got a bounce, Let me get out of here. And you know, so that's kind of what I was reading it. Okay, Yeah, same thing.
Speaker 5: I feel like that she was battling with being shy at this point in time, still like she is just talking to that one guy, but that shows she's not completely trying to loosen up a little.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's trying to loosen.
Speaker 1: Up a little bit.
Speaker 2: And then they give us this You're like, okay, well where does this go? Hmm?
Speaker 1: You thought it was predatory? Yes?
Speaker 2: I think this because I can't remember if we brought it up or not. But there's been like an ongoing debate around the movie Obsession and whether or not Bear is a villain, and then some people are just like, no, Bear didn't do anything wrong, and then other people are like, you're fucking insane.
Speaker 1: Bear is a predator.
Speaker 2: At the very least, he's a fucking rat. I definitely think Paul was problematic. Paul was definitely problematic in this scene and in a layer scene that we'll discuss, but in this scene in particular, Yeah, he's being he's being weird. Now granted he's a kid, yeah, but him being as forceful as he is is just odd. He acts like because Angela talked to him and that, and therefore, you know, that's his woman, and then she should not be behaving like she doesn't want to be around him. She needs to be happy. It's just weird how he's acting.
Speaker 4: They did kind of set him up that way because early on that's what he was talking about Judy.
Speaker 1: Oh did you see her? Oh my god?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, so, yeah, I guess they did kind of make him seem like that type of character. To me at that point, it was it was kind of subtle, seemed like he just liked her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: Well, then at some point Meg goes off on Angela because Angela won't talk to her. But there was also something that went down between Angela and Judy in the girls room. Do you all remember this part where Judy was asking Angela how come she never showers with him? Another kind of indication of what happens at the end, But at the time I did not think about that at all. I was like, Okay, well, she doesn't want to shower, y'all. Was this just like a whatever passed by line to y'all?
Speaker 1: Nah?
Speaker 3: No, not for me, And I don't even think back then I would have thought the same thing. I would have, but I wouldn't have associated it with where we went with it. I would have been like, shy, they've been bullying and picking on her, so she just wants to make sure that she's not in a situation where that could happen again, you know. So that's how I kind of read it, and probably would have read it back in the day too.
Speaker 2: Okay, anybody else get anything different from that. I feel like at this point I knew where we were going. I just didn't know how we were gonna get there. See, you know, at some point Angela was gonna be revealed to be.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just because, but it was mainly not because, like, oh, I made this wild movie guess it was because you were talking about the end and then the context clues of it before, and I'm like, I think I see where this is going.
Speaker 2: Ok So, all right, So while while walking to Ricky's place and campus, throw a water balloon in Angela, which leads to a confrontation between them and Ricky, and later while taking a fucking fat ass dump Billy who was one of the kids that threw the water balloon at Angela. Uh, he's killed when someone dumps a bee hive into the bathroom. Did y'all did y'all like this part?
Speaker 1: Spike?
Speaker 5: Yeah, this reminded me of my girl a little bit when Thomas Jay got uh. But yeah, And the kills were interesting, like they that's never really It wasn't traditional slashing, like well, you know you had these like other than the shower maybe sure, but there was no like just traditional kills. It was just like, oh, you were fucking with this person, and look what karma did to you. It was sort of like that, So I found that interesting.
Speaker 3: I definitely enjoyed this because I didn't know what was going to happen. I thought they were probably gonna stamp in the back of the net when I saw that beat I come through that. I was like, I'm asking questions, but I'm going with it too. I'm like, okay, how did you not get by grabbing it off the tree? But whatever, it's cool because it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: Like you.
Speaker 3: Up, bro, you locked him in there, he couldn't get out, and then like the facts they showed it was so extra and over the top because there was some big ass.
Speaker 1: Like holes boils on.
Speaker 3: It didn't even matter, man, because I was like, yo, he got what he deserved and shout out to my man, Ricky Bro, because Ricky, you you did something that angela Ricky is.
Speaker 2: On your immediately post taste.
Speaker 3: And it definitely again, this reminded me of the eighties where all he's doing is just yelling and screaming at everybody.
Speaker 1: Let me.
Speaker 2: Why I playing bro when he don't play about his cousin man at all. I like this scene too, It's it's ridiculous. But I've read over the years that they at some point implied that the kid had an allergy. I don't remember that, but because otherwise those bees doing that doesn't really make a whole lot.
Speaker 3: It was a lot of bees, though it's a lot of but like, bees don't do that.
Speaker 1: You're talking about the holes that is the holes and like they were all over his face.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, people get stung like that, but bees don't just like flock all over and you know, just sting your face to death. But I still like the scene. But after that we see mel talking to Ronnie. Ronnie once again at the guy with the little shorts, and he reveals that he thinks the camp has a killer. Annie implies that he knows who the killer is. But the next scene we see Angela and Paul playing doctor on the beach but kissing her sparks a flashback to Angela and her brother as kids watching their father get in his freak on with Lenny, And then you realize Lenny was the guy at the very beginning of the movie that was like oh no, when he got ran over.
Speaker 1: So anybody want to take this? What did y'all? Was this? Like? What the fuck? Not for me?
Speaker 4: Because like I said, I had kind of start seeing all the signs.
Speaker 1: You saw that her father was gay.
Speaker 2: How it's not that I saw that her father was gay before whatever reason, I just wasn't surprised when and you know what, I'm kind of with Spike.
Speaker 1: I think I.
Speaker 4: Think you might have mentioned queer before when it came to this movie. So when I saw it, I wasn't surprised.
Speaker 1: I think that's what it was.
Speaker 3: Okay, I was that shit happened. I was like, oh, because I had no.
Speaker 4: I thought I I thought I missed.
Speaker 3: I was gonna rewind it because I'm like, damn, did I bet something in the beginning, like, wasn't there.
Speaker 1: I'm like, because man, he was. He was happy too.
Speaker 3: He was stroggling in there and ship like that, like man Carressno. I was like, but yeah, I was like, yo, what the hell? So now I'm starting to put some ship together and now I'm starting to wonder about some shit.
Speaker 1: I'm like, wait a minute.
Speaker 3: And then the kid is like doing this ship right there, trying to touch Angela.
Speaker 1: I'm like, what the hell? But yeah, I completely called me all.
Speaker 2: They were appointing at each other right just that we had that part.
Speaker 1: Who was no?
Speaker 3: I thought I thought he was he rick was pointing at her like Ricky Ricky.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I thought Ricky was.
Speaker 3: About to touch Angela and uh in a in a way, and that that's what created some sort of trauma as well that she was sort of being amusing. It was the Paul Paul, you know Ricky in the in the flashback scene that wasn't Ricky was concusing me as a brother.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, were doing like this. Yeah. Yeah, they were pointing at each other.
Speaker 2: There was like a camera, it was like going around in the circle and they were in bed and they were just kind of like pointing at each other and.
Speaker 1: Just read the scene. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But yeah, no, it definitely caught me off guard because I was again thought, I was like, damn, this.
Speaker 1: Is a bold ass move for the eighties putting.
Speaker 3: In a slasher film and just dropped this in here Spike with no warning in the eighties bro sEH.
Speaker 5: I think I kind of known. I kind of knew some of it was coming because just like the explanation that Mike was given for it. But they, yeah, I did too, Ken like, well damn, what when did we see the context for this? There was no context, And I was like, okay, all right, I see what they're doing. But yeah, it wasn't surprising though, because it again at Howard, I had the scene where I was like, Okay, I think I know what this is going, so.
Speaker 2: I've never thought that this scene was necessary. It doesn't make any sense. It serves no purpose other than, unfortunately, homophobia, because the film is basically implying that because Angela had a gay father, that's why she was crazy, that's why she killed people.
Speaker 3: So is that I thought, well, we'll get this. I mean, it was another reason.
Speaker 2: Well there is, there is, But they're saying like, there's there's a lot of homophobia and transphobia in this film, but this scene in particular with their father, it's just like, why why did you even put that in the movie. It serves no purpose other than to be like, well, she had issues with gender this whole time because look her father's day. Yeah, it's like, why did you do that? That doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 3: Especially given how we got to where we did it. Yeah, there was no real Yeah, yeah, I got you.
Speaker 2: She was exposed to homosexuality, so therefore she's gonna end up crazy. But Angela bugs out on Paul, runs off, and then she rejects him the next day where Paul's getting all upset, But while they're playing a game of Capture the Flag, her and Ricky catch Paul and Judy making out in the forest, Paul tries to apologize, but Angela wasn't having it. Judy and Meg then gang up on Angela and they throw her in the water after Angela begs them not to. Also, Ricky wasn't able to help because Meil had him hemmed up. So what did you take from this part? What was Mail had him him saying that he was the killer?
Speaker 1: Mel thought that Ricky was the killer.
Speaker 2: It was, yeah, which it does make sense because everybody that fucked with Ricky ended up dying. And I guess I can go ahead and say now, which we'll get to the actual killer. But there's been rumors for years that people say that it was both of them.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: The reason that is is because anytime you see hands of the killer, they're masculine hands. People thought that was because, oh, they're trying to imply that, you know, because Angela is actually not you know that that's what that was there for me, that's not actually the case. The case is Angela's mother, the real life Angela's mother would not let her actually be involved in any of the killing scenes.
Speaker 1: So she told the.
Speaker 2: Director, Yeah, you can have my daughter in the film, but you can't show her killing anyone.
Speaker 1: Oh, interesting.
Speaker 2: So anytime there was an active killing they didn't want. Now what they ended up getting at the end, I feel.
Speaker 1: Like it was crazier.
Speaker 2: You're right, but yeah, that's why there's been like an ongoing talk of people being like, well, maybe it was both of them. It was Ricky killing some of them, and it was also Angela killing some of them.
Speaker 3: This was like one of the only times that I remember that we even saw the girls in like a bathing in a swimsuit or were there others? And I'm only pointing that out because all the boys were like, damn near nagget just.
Speaker 1: Wear so she she walked up.
Speaker 3: This was they were just mean for no reason facts, you know, and then throw her in there and everybody just kind of laughing and watching the kids throwing sand on her and stuff like that. She just eventually just became a puncher bat for the whole camp and Mail for and I think watching this scene, I was like, Mail, you see this happening, and not only that, you're gonna hold Ricky because anytime something happens to her, somebody dies.
Speaker 1: What's something's fucking happening now, right, So why don't you run your asses? Stop it? From happening, so nobody would die fi it made no sense for him to do that. Yeah, anybody anything else about this part?
Speaker 2: Now I grew away, can't say I took it as this was the same place. This is legit the same place where her dad and her brother died. So of course she would not want to be thrown into the water. It would make sense that she would be afraid of the water. So when they're trying to throw it in and she's freaking out, that's why.
Speaker 1: No, it didn't gonna make sense because she killed somebody. Why she was in the water.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, but you're right.
Speaker 1: We can say that was Ricky.
Speaker 2: No, that makes yeah, I never I never thought about that part.
Speaker 4: But I mean, she could be, like you said, just traumatized bout general.
Speaker 1: You know, maybe just switch into the killer mode. And I still don't make sense now it doesn't.
Speaker 2: It doesn't Why would she be so afraid of the water if you ass just swam So yeah, it doesn't really make a lot of sense. So maybe it was just the fact that that's exactly where they died.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Actually, well anyway, so Mel and Meg. Meg is the other counsel of the mean one that's always picking on Angela. They established they're gonna have a date that night, which also was just like, what what the fuck are we talking about?
Speaker 1: Made no sense.
Speaker 2: If Mel was like an old but handsome dude, if it was like fucking Morgan Freeman out there, okay, but come on, man, there's no way Mel.
Speaker 1: I thought I thought there was, Mike. I thought they were about to play.
Speaker 2: It was gonna be a joke.
Speaker 1: I did too. Yeah, I first saw it, but I was just like, this is odd. They were very serious.
Speaker 2: But Mel actually doesn't make it to the date because while showering, she gets fucking gutted from the back. So what'd y'all think of this scene?
Speaker 1: No? Oh, I liked it. Typical slasher films.
Speaker 3: She's in the back, uh and stabbed her and then drywall. Yeah, you know, thinking about course cycle and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So but nah, yeah, I thought it was cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is part of the closest killed that was felt like another slash of the film.
Speaker 7: This was more traditional and all the rest of them. Yeah, I was like, gonna be mad about to get some young stuff. Yeah, Mike, it's part.
Speaker 2: What why.
Speaker 1: Stab you through the wall? And maybe sliced down the wall like you also a child.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, crazy, crazy that you have extra strength. Yeah, it's just like because I'm pulling my back off of it. Like I guess when I was younger, I didn't realize that it was through a Paul. I always thought it was stabbed through a shower.
Speaker 1: Curtain until y'all just said it. I still think it's a shower.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty I'm not sure that it's a wall. But when she's getting she was going like, ah, it looks like she's leaning up against the wall, but I think it's supposed to be she's getting stabbed through the shower curtain.
Speaker 1: I don't think she's getting stabbed through the wall, even if it's a shower. Curry, just one for he.
Speaker 2: Already already got her in the fucking spine, bro, Yeah, just to fly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was just too I had I had to Yeah, I had I had to do too many, too much suspense of the belief in this one.
Speaker 2: Sorry, y'all, No, that's that's completely fair. But Paul comes back around and he's able to convince Angela that he's sorry. Mel also ends up finding Meg in the bathroom a vow to take someone out, but uh, the killer. The killer pulls up on Judy and uh does some pretty.
Speaker 1: Fucked up ship to Judy.
Speaker 2: I don't know why they didn't just show it instead of this weird implication of what happened. What did y'all think of this scene with Julie and the and the and the uh the is it curling iron?
Speaker 1: Yeah, curly iron.
Speaker 2: Did anybody else actually pick up what was going on in this scene?
Speaker 3: I didn't know until after the movie was override. I thought I just saw it online. Oh Jesus, yeah, but I thought that was I said, that's a very interesting way to burn somebody. But I didn't realize how and what they were doing to them until that's what happened. They did not show it.
Speaker 1: They didn't show it. Shoved It's what I said.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yeah, but I didn't know that's what they were doing. It changed that whole scene for me.
Speaker 2: I didn't either. You have to if you really pay attention to what's going on. She ties up the legs and then puts her on the bed or whatever, and then she grabs the hot iron and you see the hot iron going like this, and then the hands over here are doing this I was too.
Speaker 1: PERI busy paying attention to the hands going on, what else do you.
Speaker 2: Do with someone shoving a hot irons?
Speaker 1: Like Jesus, that's crazy. I'm like, this movie is silly as hell. Bro, it's ridiculous. I was like, they've been like, raise their hands. I'm not even gonna respond. I heard it. I tell them that's the daddy. If you heard the ship, just move on like it didn't happen. But I was thinking, like.
Speaker 2: They better not let their hands drop slow and they did.
Speaker 1: Of course they did right up, like they better not doing and they did it.
Speaker 3: I was like, I was like damn because I was like, out of all the kids, like she got no barn with a hot iron. Yeah, first of it, We're like you're gonna suffocate this motherfucking then you got the hot I was like, Okay, there we go.
Speaker 1: That's more like it. But it wasn't until after.
Speaker 3: The movie was over and I read what I was like, Oh, ship, that's gruesome.
Speaker 2: This is one of the most shocking scenes in the film.
Speaker 1: It's like, why would you do that? Respect for that one? Yeah? That was crazy because she was an asshole? Is that what? It was? A hot ass over here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, yeah, we only got a few more scenes left because is towards the end, and actually I think I'm leaving a part out. It's okay, Oh.
Speaker 1: I did have it. I just I skipped ahead.
Speaker 2: Eddie Eddie is the guy that took the kids out.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, this is.
Speaker 2: The only scene in the film that I never really liked because it doesn't really make a lot of sense. So Eddie, Eddie is the guy that takes all the kids camping, not camping, what do you call it? Like, I guess this camping outside and he leaves to take one of the kids back to the camp, and when he comes back, all of the kids have been killed. The thing that didn't make any sense is all the other kills in this movie makes sense because they were they were it was killing people that had something to do with Angela and or Ricky. From what I can tell from all the times I've seen this film, those kids had nothing to do with Ricky or Angela. They were just kids that got taken out to go camping. So why would why would she or they go kill them? Weren't they the ones that threw sand on them?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Her is that it? I mean, I can't tell these little kids.
Speaker 3: Apart, even tell what that's what that was.
Speaker 1: It was the sleeping bag.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but that's what I think it was. They were throwing because you throw sand.
Speaker 2: I remember the kids kicking sand on him and the other guys like, oh, you guys act like animals. Stop it cut it out over the Remember.
Speaker 5: I took it as if them being some other kids, it picked on them as well.
Speaker 1: That's what I take it is.
Speaker 2: But I feel like all the other ones we saw, like, I'm going with Ken's theory that those were the kids that were kicking sand on Angela after she got thrown in the water, because if it's not, then it doesn't really fit in with Angela's motive of you know, or Ricky's motive. All right, So this takes us to the final scene. Paul meets up with Angela on the beach, trying to get his little freak nasty on a few minutes later, they find the unconscious body of Ricky. Ricky was that's the part I missed? Yeah, Mel beats Mel beats Ricky until Ricky passes out because Mel thinks that Ricky is a killer. And then Mel, I guess, goes around the corner, and that's when he get shot in the neck with the arrow, which I've always thought this was pretty good for fucking nineteen eighty three. That was that was a good kill because he shoots mel in the neck while he's talking. But that also implies that that particular kill especially was not Ricky, even if you want to give the whole like, oh, Ricky was killing most of the people, he didn't do it in this moment. That had to be Angela.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: So yeah, So they find the unconscious body of Ricky, but back on the beach with Angela and Paul camp counselors Marie or no, that was a Marie was there?
Speaker 3: Her name Marie?
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter. Marie and Ronnie roll up on Angela and Paul them interrupting Angela leads to another flashback from Angela, and this is where Aunt Marie has forced the male victim in the accident to live as Angela. So, I think the little boy's name was Peter, Peter Peter.
Speaker 1: She no, no, we can't do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah right now, I already have one of those. So yes, so Aunt Marie. Ohthough counsellor's name was Susie. Aunt Marie versus uh Peter to live as Angela, and then it pops back over the present day and we see Angela drop the head of Paul before standing up and revealing that she a penis spike. Were you like, damn, that was crazy? Or did your stomach star herd? Did you faint?
Speaker 1: What happened?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I figured it out halfway through the movie due to a little bit what you said and then context clues, so it wouldn't. I was just wondering how they were going to do the reveal, and they did the reveal and I was like, okay, all right, got ya.
Speaker 2: It's cool. It was so so it wasn't shocking at all for you. No, just because I was looking for it. Damn, Yeah, well that sucks was shocking for you.
Speaker 1: It's still even though I knew it, still was shocking. The face that was more shocking than the beatings. The face. I was like, what is happening right now? Was she's just like? What was the funing? That was her supposed to look crazy?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: She was growling too. I don't know if you Yeah, I was like, what is happening? And it just stayed that way. I was really bless you.
Speaker 2: I was really just like I was more shocked by that.
Speaker 4: Like I said, even though even though I hadn't an idea that that's what was going to happen, it still was shocking.
Speaker 1: It's still was shocking. Yeah, it worked.
Speaker 3: The only thing that sort of tipped off from me was when they were running. They were walking in one room there was a poster like a movie poster, and they had boy and the rest of us cut off, cut off. I don't remember that, so like instead of it'stead a hint and I said, but.
Speaker 1: But I'm I'm I'm went rod.
Speaker 3: I think it was still shocking, though I think they did a good job of delivering it. I understood given the time, how that would have fucked a lot of people love because you don't. I think they do a good job of hiding it. It was that poster with the boy and of course the male hands, but you just displayed the male hands. But if you didn't know that, yeah, and you saw the male hands later and I was like, it could have been Ricky or it could have been at this point Angela, you know, slash Peter. And that's when I was like, oh, it might be this way. But it still worked. The face, the growling and the hissing, all of that still worked for me, Like, I think it's gonna be one of those images that kind of stay stuck your head with the way that she made that face because it didn't make sense and the way they have it sitting on top of the head and stuff like that on the body.
Speaker 1: I was like, damn man. But and then earlier they.
Speaker 3: Kind of show like this was the first time that actually showed the killer when she went to kill Julie Judy in the doorway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the doorway and looked because that was Ricky in real life.
Speaker 2: That was actually the actor that plays Ricky in a Wig. Okay, because it had something to do with the deal that from what I understand, at least the deal that the director made with the mother, which is that you can't show Angela killing anybody, so they put Ricky in a week.
Speaker 3: I thought that was dope too, Mike, when I was reading up on it after the fact that they actually hired kid got real kids.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, but they weren't.
Speaker 2: They shouldn't have because there were child labor laws, so they could have gotten in trouble for acting. Yeah, yes, because that's why all of those old movies that you see, like you watched Friday the thirteenth, you rarely see an actual teenager. Usually it's a fucking whole ass adult trying to play a fucking eighteen year old or seven.
Speaker 1: You know that that applied to that that industry.
Speaker 2: But also like, this movie was so low budget. He didn't have the money to pay for these kind of things, so to get a bunch of kids, it's easier. And you know, half the people in the movie weren't actually actors what you could tell because it was so bad. But like all the paramedics, they weren't real actors. It was just like the movie was extremely low budget. But I'm with you and Rod. The ending, I wish Spike hand looked nothing up and I wish I hadn't said nothing.
Speaker 1: The ending is easily.
Speaker 2: One of the most shocking endings that I remember as a kid seeing that and being like what, I did not see any of that coming at all. I was just like, okay, you know, oh, Angela's the killer.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: Wait what Angela's actually Peter And then wait, no, wait, Angela's standing up and she got a little a.
Speaker 1: Little wee weie. No part of me expected this.
Speaker 2: And when you're talking about the head on top of the body like that and it looked weird, that's because that's a mask, so that the body is actually that of an eighteen year old that they paid year old. I'm gonna suck you up again, watchna fuck you up again? Because the actor has never revealed his name, and I've always.
Speaker 1: Thought that was why is that why you're asking?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've always thought out because I didn't find out the eighteen year old part until years after, and.
Speaker 1: That fucked me up.
Speaker 2: I was like, wait a minute, that was an eighteen year old because I remember, even as a kid, just being shocked by it. But then when I got a little older, I was really just like, how did y'all get away with putting the pennis of a child on this movie?
Speaker 1: That's because it wasn't.
Speaker 2: That was some college student that they went and found and they probably gave him three hundred bucks to be in this movie, and they they probably told him like, yo, you don't have to show your face, We just need you to stand there neked with this wig on, with this mask on. So yeah, that fucked me up. When I was younger, I was like, wait, what I.
Speaker 1: Thought it was just prosthetic or something.
Speaker 2: No, it's really his little wiener because I thought it was her and they put just something there. I did too when I was young, when I was Yeah, I did too when I was young.
Speaker 1: I'm saying I thought that.
Speaker 2: Now, oh, because I'm not, they're not showing the kid like they're not kid for real. Yeah, So like they probably just put something there and put it on her or his body or whatever however you want to say. The body they were trying. They had to go out and find someone that was that had the body type of a young girl.
Speaker 1: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, and there's a reason why the director did not do anything after this until returned to sleep Away Camp, which was years and years later, and it was garbage. But nah, the ending is shocking. As a kid singing for the first time, I was just like, this is insane. None of this was what I was expecting. But then as a further adult, I do get why the movie gets a bad rap. You know, it is transphobic, it's homophobic. It's not cool. It is transphobic and homophobic.
Speaker 1: So it really kind of depends.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's definitely homophobic because the shit with the Dad made no sense and there was no reason for it to be in the movie at all. I thought they were trying to be progressive at the time.
Speaker 1: I don't think they were trying to be anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they were just throwing out I.
Speaker 3: Think they were just making a movie and tried to come up with a shaking ending.
Speaker 2: Yes, because the director has given interviews where he's like, I had the beginning of the movie planned out, and I had the end. The rest of it I just threw together. So the shit with the the Dad. He explained that Angela had problems with gender, and he was like, I mean, look, she witnessed her dad being gay, So it sounds like he's trying to imply that that was part of what was quote unquote wrong with Angela.
Speaker 3: But also you're being forced to be a boy against your will too.
Speaker 2: Yes, but remember that comes after the dad dies. But the director was like, well, she was already fucked up. Her dad was gay and she saw him being gay with it with Larry, so she was already fucked up. This just made her even more fucked up. When Peter died and you know or sorry, when Angela died and Marie made her become made him become Angela, or whatever however you want to fucking put it, y'all know what I'm saying. Yeah, but yeah, depending on who you're talking to, I think most of the consensus is that this movie is transphobic because you're using trans people as sort of the punchline me as a non transversion. I can just say that I enjoyed the movie. I don't understand it's fucked up. I'm not going to have a stance one way or the other in this one because I can see both sides, so I just stay out of that part of it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I did see some comments on Wikipedia about, you know, their feelings for the movie, and I've seen both.
Speaker 2: You know, so yeah, some transfer serious and nicon. Yeah they're like, I wish I could go around and killing everybody that fucking.
Speaker 3: Bullied be so you know, so yeah, I'm kind of so when it happened, I was thinking about today's standards, not saying that those standards didn't exist, but they don't exist as prevalent as they are today, So now you're kind of looking at things through those lens. So I'm wondering if he was just trying to be shocking, and that was it. Of course, you can start to analyze it through that, which is totally fine. But I was thinking about that, like, you're making this kid be someone that they didn't want to be, and therefore they're running around killing people that picked on them for being something that they didn't want to be. So there's a whole commentary and discussion around that that I'm sure people you know have had extensively. So I get it, y'all got it. I just wish this was the thought I was searching for. I just really wish when that happened that I was young when I watched this for the first time.
Speaker 1: I hate that I didn't have that experience.
Speaker 3: That would have been a hell of an experience to see that, But like, yo, what the fuck?
Speaker 2: I don't think you wanted that experience because for years, that was that was seared in my brain, was that face and that little weenie weenie weenie when ear that fuck me up as a kid because I'd never seen anything like that. We didn't know what trans was when I was ten years old. I had no idea and I don't even know if the guy knew what trans was. The guy just saw it. I mean, I think back then, in those days, it was just called cross dressing, I don't think, or transsexuals or whatever. Like none of us knew how this stuff worked and you know how to engage with it. So throwing that into a horror movie, I can understand, but I don't know. It kind of reminds me of that movie Skeleton Key. I think I remember that movie, and that was where, like I spoiler alert if you don't want to hear about Skeleton Key, jump away, jump forward about three minutes. But I think in Skeleton Key, the whole thing was wasn't there like one of them was black and didn't know she was black or some shit from I thinking of a different film. There was some film where the main person.
Speaker 3: Was trying to get it was the key to get into this place in the in the house, wasn't.
Speaker 2: It in like like like New Orleans.
Speaker 1: Or some shit. Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure one of the like the one of the white people was actually a black person, because I was looking at this movie and I was like, Okay, what if the punchline or the twist was the person's black? You know what I mean, Like you had a whole movie where the motherfucker looked like logic and Logic was killing people and at the very end it's revealed, oh, well, Logic is actually black, he's not white. Of course you're gonna then be like, okay, well is that why he was killing people because he's black?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, I know, because you know, if you're watching this movie, you're a kid or whatever, then you know this could be sitting in your head that oh my god, trans people are killers.
Speaker 1: That was the that was the thought people trans people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yes, yeah, trans people are killers, you know, because they don't want Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, no, I get it. I get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, like i'ma just that one, but yeah, but yeah, but nah, I enjoyed it. Man, you know, it's the old movie. I think it worked for the time. And yeah, it's nice to see something that that face. I think I'll never forget that. I'll never forget that face. Yeah, so that was cool. I enjoyed it.
Speaker 7: I enjoyed it, Like, don't even want to talking about this?
Speaker 1: All right? Well, anybody got any final thoughts were to wrap this up?
Speaker 4: I thought it was interesting, this would be my last thing. I thought it was interesting that this is the only time they showed something like this because they didn't show breasts or anything in this movie, which was kind of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they didn't there because they were teens. Most of the actors that they hired were actually.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, Yeah, so I thought that was especially around this time because that was that was prevalent.
Speaker 1: Was the thing slashers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so yeah, so the whole time, I'm thinking it's gonna see some titties at some point seeing all short short you.
Speaker 2: Saw the t nudity was fucking Ronnie in the little teeny weeny little less shorts.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: But then you show this at the end, Like I was, just like, this movie is crazy. But yeah, well make sure y'all lead some comments. That's our thoughts for sleep Away Camp. Don't bother with two and three or return to sleep Away Camp. They're not good. They're not even like Camp be good. They're just like, this is just a stupid, basic gas slasher. The only thing that makes this not a basic gas slasher is the end. Everything else is pretty basic. But yeah, there you go leave your hate on Reddit because no one's gonna read that shit end. I'm just kidding, But yeah, thanks for listening, last ning thoughts, and we'll see y'll next time we out Beats