Speaker 1: The Frames per Second Podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to another episode of The Frames per Second Podcast. We're back with another review for X Men ninety seven. If you know, I'm doc, been hosting this for a while, and we got Mike, we got rid Man.
Speaker 1: I know it was a call and response. I thought you were just saying, who was here? Thank King the only one to do that.
Speaker 2: He'll just go around and then a Spike should be here or I don't know, we'll see what's gonna happen with Spike. He should be here, but you know, he may feel like I don't really need to be here talk about X Man.
Speaker 3: Everybody say that I would just showing when I show he didn't like the last episode?
Speaker 1: SI he watching it?
Speaker 2: He probably enjoyed it, but like I could, I could live without watching Next Man. So uh so, yeah, we're here for episode X dead Man's Hand Overall thoughts, Ken, how are you feeling about this episode?
Speaker 3: I enjoyed it. I'm not familiar with the storyline. When it ended, I forgot there was one more episode, so I was concerned. I was like, oh shit, no way to season ending like this. But I think the there is a small gripe that I have is that they're compacting a lot into like thirty thirty minutes, and it's just.
Speaker 1: It's hard to do that.
Speaker 3: I felt like there's so much that happened in this storyline, this story arc, if this is a real story arc in the book, yeah, that we're not getting in terms of the details building up, like making certain things matter. But other than that, though, I didn't enjoy it, especially towards the end. But yeah, I just felt like there's a lot that I'm missing that the books gave us that make it matter just a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Are you feeling right?
Speaker 4: I'll be feeling like that initially, like that can but the more I watch it, the more I'm like, okay, it is that part, is that detail needed?
Speaker 1: And I end up enjoying.
Speaker 4: It more or whatever I mean, I end up I always end up like really confused. I'm like where this person come from? When how they tied to this? Because I get what you're saying. But they'll do little subtle things in the show that will be like Okay, all right, that's how that happened or or whatever. So so yeah, I end up being okay by the end of the show with how they execute it.
Speaker 1: So you really you messed this episode, like, yeah, yah, yeah, I like it. I like it.
Speaker 4: I do agree that, you know, some stuff is confusing because I don't know all the characters and all the nuanced other characters. But I think the show does enough with like kind of context clues.
Speaker 1: Here and there to bring you up the speed a little bit.
Speaker 4: And it's this is one thing, one spot in particular that it did it because I'm like, where this person come from?
Speaker 1: And then they said something and I'm like, Okay, that's what he came.
Speaker 2: So you don't feel like Spike when he said he was watching Spider Man last week?
Speaker 1: What do you mean? What do you say? He was like he felt like there were things happening that he's supposed to see.
Speaker 2: It takes away from it, but you feel like you all right with some of the context closing.
Speaker 4: So I feel like that at first until I hear something here and there and then and then and then I'm good after that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, got you got you? How you feeling Mike?
Speaker 2: Uh, I'm kind of a combination of the two of them. But my my issue is this episode made me put one foot out of this show because I just don't care about this and I feel like they built up all this gambit shit and it didn't really go anywhere.
Speaker 1: Nothing.
Speaker 2: It didn't go anywhere. It didn't have like this huge impact, like these motherfuckers hopped off the plane. Was like, oh, Gampus back, I'm ready to fight. We don't want to fight you, but we will. All of this, all of this you built up for a season and gambits show up Gray and don't do nothing. The books, I mean, I don't remember if it was Gray or in the books. He probably was, but he just showed up and nothing really happened. So it wasn't a bad episode. I just didn't care like I'm usually like last season, I was excited for Wednesdays, like, man, let's go another episode.
Speaker 1: This time, I was like, man, I'll get to this ship.
Speaker 4: I thought y'all was gonna be hype about the gaming thing. Y'all you have been talking about it. I know it happened, and nothing really happened. He didn't kill nobody, you know what I'm saying. He didn't really fuck nobody up. He did some damn I didn't see no da well.
Speaker 1: He ain't killed anybody, just turned them over to death basically, and none of them did anything either.
Speaker 2: They just the only thing we saw, which we'll get to is night crawling whooping the shit out.
Speaker 3: Of everybody just turned into Gambit zombies.
Speaker 1: Like what, Yeah, I thought I thought that was part of the storyline. It might be. I don't remember the storyline details.
Speaker 2: I was just expecting, like, because the show changes shit, So I was expecting after they built all of this up that Gambit was gonna show up and it was one gonna be this big emotional thing, which it wasn't really, and two he was really gonna cause problems, which he kind of didn't.
Speaker 1: It's not a bad episode.
Speaker 2: It was just like, all right, now, you got one episode left, and I don't really know how much I care about how the season is gonna end.
Speaker 1: At this point. M I like the revealing this, but okay.
Speaker 2: I guess we'll get to ituse I'm not sure what reveal you're talking about.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 2: I guess my question would be, what do y'all feel? Last season's finale gave y'all that this like well, the ending. The last couple of episodes of season one gave y'all that the ending of this isn't giving y'all right now, because you talked about nobody died. I mean, nobody really died at the end of last season either, Yeah, but how much did they build up something over the course of the entire season.
Speaker 1: We lost, but that was in the middle of the season. It still happened. No one's died this season died. Oh, you're right, I'm bad. You're right, you're right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that formed this whole group. I know he's gonna come back. It's not even that big of a you keep doing that.
Speaker 1: Like, because I didn't think Gambit was complete.
Speaker 2: I don't ever think anybody when right and y'all said that last.
Speaker 1: Year about Gamby. He's like, oh, he's gonna come back. Yeah, But then I said the same shit about it. It did.
Speaker 2: It did because it was more emotional because you had this whole city.
Speaker 1: But the magnet it did. The Magneto scene was fine.
Speaker 2: But I think if if if I remember Hi correctly, I wasn't all like, oh my god, Magneto, I'm so sad. It was just like, all right, bro, Magneto died. That sucks, but he'll be back, you know what I'm saying. And I don't need people to die and stay dead forever. It's just if if Gambit came back and killed Cyclops, I'd have been like, all right, well, god damn Magneque.
Speaker 1: You know, Gampus back causing problems.
Speaker 2: If Rogue came out with oh Shay, I just want to touch you again, and fucking Gambit was like bitch and killed her, I'd be like, this is crazy, let's go.
Speaker 1: But I know they're going to be back.
Speaker 2: But it's like that death in that moment hits just like Gampus death.
Speaker 1: In that moment it hit. Smallfucker had parting words.
Speaker 2: Remember, man, you don'tdn't really say nothing, but I.
Speaker 1: Child get this motherfucker off my head. Bro crazy. I just I really focused this episode. I'm glad.
Speaker 2: I liked it a lot, especially the second time watching it. I felt like the stakes were there, like there's a lot of I know you talked about like no emotional I felt like a lot of emotional pull, like.
Speaker 1: From who a bunch of people honestly Rogue for one road need her ass. And so anyway I learned I learned this week.
Speaker 2: It's been right in front of me, and I'm kind of just I was kind of disappointed in myself when the person told me about it the symbolism of like rogue herself. I was like, but that should been in front of me the whole time, like about how she's basically the symbolism for misogyny. I was like that she was in front of me the whole time and I didn't notice it.
Speaker 1: Like said, she's a symbolism for misogyny.
Speaker 2: Like her powers are basically shaped around misogyny. Oh, like it was in front of me to her like, oh, I ain't never catch that ship, my dumb, Like it made me feel like, damn you dumb, Like that's been the thing in the comics since day one.
Speaker 1: But I ain't got nothing to do with the show.
Speaker 2: But nah, but I mean it didn't have But I think it just made me feel for a rogue even more this episode now like a click click for.
Speaker 1: Me that she can't touch her man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're kind of saying, like, you know, when when a woman, I don't, I don't know if we want to get into that deep we just.
Speaker 1: It's not gonna change. It's not change anything.
Speaker 2: It's just the symbolism of like her not being able to be touched but men still touching.
Speaker 1: And they did like and they get.
Speaker 2: They get up, and they still blame her for the reason, even though it's their fault when they know they shouldn't touch in the first place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I told you.
Speaker 2: I know it ain't gonna make a difference to him. I'm just giving you what I like. And oh that she was in front of me the whole time. But but yeah, I really fuck with this episode.
Speaker 1: So I'm with you. But who was the other emotional pool? I'm curious.
Speaker 2: I just I just not emotion so much a pool the relationship of Cable and his parents, just like how they like outside clops them with just trying to be like the constant trying to be a father and not be a father at the same time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that ship, man.
Speaker 2: I love for Gambit six, like I mean, for cable sake, Like I.
Speaker 3: Get hate is a strong word. It's it's just it's just like, all right, here we go with this again.
Speaker 1: A complex situation though.
Speaker 2: That's why I fuck with it is I like the complexity of it, Like, especially because I know how Cable is. Cable is about business, so them trying to do this emotional piece and like, you don't.
Speaker 1: Really have the right to do this shit because you gave me up and like you that's what's funny. He's like, I ain't got time for this.
Speaker 2: Like, nah, nigga, we got business now, but I'll use this to my advantage. Like it's just a complex situation that I fuck with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like it too.
Speaker 2: I just want to point out when I said I didn't get any emotion, I was specifically talking about the Gambit situation, specifically the I feel you on the Scott and Jane and Cable thing. Even though I'm kind of sort of like Ken not so much. I hate this or I dislike this. I just don't really care all that much, but I do get it. I'm with Rod mostly that it's a complex situation and there's no good way to handle this.
Speaker 1: You know, we gave you up.
Speaker 2: It's like a child that's being given up for adoption because you can't fucking take care of it. Then they come back twenty years later and you try to form a relationship, they're like, no, motherfucker, you gave me up.
Speaker 4: It's still not really taking accountability for it. Why you didn't tell you know, why you didn't tell us that you knew us.
Speaker 2: It's like, you know, I was I could not I could not be the parent that you needed, but you also feel for that job, like, yeah, you should have figured the funk out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a complex situation. I think part of it for y'all.
Speaker 2: Y'all well at least can't in a little bit for you, is y'all lived with this story already.
Speaker 1: Not really not really I.
Speaker 3: Get you though, Yeah, yeah, and no, it's maybe it's just the voice actors ain't really selling it, you know, But it's just I don't know, I'm just not all that interested in it because it's like you're doing it just to kind of maybe break momental or whatever. And it's just like I guess maybe the complex you guys are talking about, they're not able to convey it in one or two scenes.
Speaker 2: I think if I had to have one critique before we keep diving into the episode, the patient still isn't the best, and I think that does hinder it. Like someone That's what I get what you were saying beginning about is a lot going on. The pacing is just not the best right now, and it kind of is taken away from the story.
Speaker 4: They leave a lot up to Just like I said, the little things, is it like recap when it. I don't remember they put it in the recaps, like how Colossus had a sister.
Speaker 1: It was his sister. Oh Am, I thinking about the roso I watched that was that? Yeah? I was like, yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm thinking about.
Speaker 4: Them too, So I might do that because I watched both of them.
Speaker 1: That's why you're so hyped. Because the last episode was so good. It really was not. It wasn't. I'm not saying this episode better than.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's that's kind of my issue too, is it's two episodes in a row that are just like I It's like, it's like two episodes that were like.
Speaker 1: Six is out of ten? I can, I can. I can give you that six out of ten is good. I give you that. I give it more like a seven point. I still don't pass fact.
Speaker 4: Y'all Almost there, So, y'all wasn't in a hype on the last one with that Magneto crew.
Speaker 2: That was the last one, right, Yeah? Yeah, I thought the episode was cool. I thought this one was better. Well, we'll get we'll get through it. A couple of things, y'all already, A couple of questions. I had it all right, I feel y'all at so it's like, all right, let's try to.
Speaker 1: Move around it a little bit.
Speaker 2: So this episode opens episode eight with him back in Genosha and where we see Rogue is reliving the events leading up to Gambit's death.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go straight to you, Mike as you shake your hand. You was already over.
Speaker 2: This, Because my question is was the flash Was this flashback effective for us to bring us back to that moment for Rogue?
Speaker 1: Nah?
Speaker 2: Because I think Rogue was fucked up for us. I think Rogue was fucked up last season for this ship and the fact that she's over here imagining the ship, but she removed the motherfucker that she left campit for. I'm like, I'm looking at you crazy right now. You'll react like you're dancing by yourself. No no, no, no no no. I was trying, no no no. I was over here trying to get you to be my girl. And you said, nah, bro, I'm going with the old dude. And you was over here floating and you knew I was here, You knew I was in the room, and you floating around and shit like a fucking like the end of Cinderella or some garbage, and you'll be are kissing on.
Speaker 1: Him and whatnot. Nah, and then you want old Remmy. I miss you Remmy. No, you don't. You are the reason I'm dead. You feel the same way Rod I did.
Speaker 4: I did because they did omit that part to make I guess, to heighten the relationship between the two. I feel like that's why they did it, to heighten that relationship. But yeah, I had that same feeling last season. I feel like, uh, I'm like, damn, she played she played Gambit like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So I don't know.
Speaker 4: I guess I'm with Michael on this, and they didn't hit as hard because yeah, I just couldn't feel the emotion for her and the love that she feels for Gamut like that or whatnot. I know she was kind of it was kind of like this lord his love was cool, so she was torn. I guess I can't remember exactly why she went with Magneto over Gambit.
Speaker 1: Does anybody remember that she's always not that's part. Yeah, He's the only one that she can actually touch and doesn't take it. I do not even realize she could touch him when I maybe I did.
Speaker 2: I just forgot, I forgot why something like he put the magnetism over his mouth or some stupid shit. I mean probably probably, that's probably how they funck, I guess, but it is like a magnetic condom. To be totally fair to Rogue, she did at the last minute, if I remember correctly, she did say no to Magneto and was gonna go back to Gambit okay, and but it was too late.
Speaker 1: Gambit was already on his motorbike. Oh okay, okay, So that did happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she did decide last after she made out with him in front of him. It's not like Gambit did some fun. If Gambit ran off and fucked some other girl and had twelve.
Speaker 1: Kids, she was trying to protect them. Nah, that's fucked up. You know. Do you love them? What she was trying to protect them?
Speaker 2: Then be like, hey, bro, don't come stay home. You don't want to be here for this. But you dancing and swinging around in the air, and you kissing this dude in front of me, knowing I'm in love with you. Just got done crying five minutes before. No, Rogue is dirty, Bro, Rogue foullas fucked for this.
Speaker 1: Sh go ahead? Can I'm more with with Mike?
Speaker 3: Yeah, she she went back to him, which was supposed to make the moment of him his death matters most because like, oh, she didn't get a chance, but she had a chance, and she didn't take take advantage of it. She was doing the opposite, so she missed out on that. But in terms of using this to kind of, you know, reset everything that was about to happen, it didn't work for me.
Speaker 2: I guess I'm just looking at it as far as a person who she made a mistake and she she again, like you said, she was going to be with Gambit, but death it happened.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, Like it just happened.
Speaker 2: I can understand her living with that regret and feeling that, and we saw it over and over again throughout last season and this season of her living with her like I made the wrong decision. Like I know it's a couple of women out there feel the same way about me. You know what I'm saying, Like.
Speaker 4: Man, you know what I'm You know what I'm saying, Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like damn when that got away? You know you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Up, you know what I'm saying, So like I steel Rod, like get you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: He's like, you're out there listening, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So yeah, with her thinking about it, especially with him dead like I can see and now a piece of her probably feels like, oh he's back, like whatever. That's why I was like, oh, this is a good way to start the episode because it put me back in like, oh yeah, she did really have feelings for a Gambit. She just made an executive decision in that moment because Magnet like you longing for someone to touch you, and this person can touch.
Speaker 1: You, Like, yeah, that's a lot. Yeah, it's like, oh man, like I'm longing it finally got somebody that could touch me.
Speaker 2: Like I'm like, come on, it is a tough decision. I guess your point is still fucked up, but it is a tough spot to be in. Gambit put a mask on and wear a condom you think if you could, you wouldn't. By now, I'm wondering why it didn't happen because I think she was probably just like, look, I love you, but I don't think I want a relationship with you. And then this nice silver haired brother showed up and was like hey girl, and she was like, oh shit, I'm about to go with him. Man, I ain't wearing no condom all my life, girl, And that's campus fault. If we liked in, that's that's that's gonna be in all that. I guess this this whole storyline, and I know it's not feasible. This storyline would have benefited from another season to make me feel the whole thing. But again, that's not really the show's fault. I know they're trying to get somewhere and they don't have a lot of time, so it is what it is.
Speaker 1: Any of y'all play poker? Poker? I tried it, but yeah it's Mike, You're not you know, play poker. I wants it, man, which way you do? I'm sick.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's like, did you enjoy this episode?
Speaker 1: No? Excellent? See what I told you to you?
Speaker 6: That was exactly my words when the episode ended, to be honest with you here, I'm over this too much. I don't know what the fuck is going on, man, I feel that it is a lot. Even when I watched the little review videos, I'll be like, bro, what I don't know none of these people. I don't know what they're talking about. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Did you watch the first season. I remember if we reviewed it out with.
Speaker 6: You, it did seem like the first season had this many prerequeds as far as well, you gotta know this dude, and then this dude's gonna die and come back, and then he gonna die and come back, and then like I just mm hm hm hmm.
Speaker 1: That's fair. Well what is the dead man's hand? It was just.
Speaker 6: It's like not tombstone, but it was this old Western gangster, you know. I figured it was an old Western gangster. He had two eights and two aces and he was beefing with people in the gambling parlor and they killed him and that was his hand when he died. So to a and two aces or a dead man's hands tombstone two, I believe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they shot him in the back of the head, right, Yeah. I don't know anything about cars, so I just know they shot him in the back of his head.
Speaker 1: Is it a good hand to have? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Two eights and two aces and then whatever come out? You still got two.
Speaker 1: Dough somebody got a blokey to the back of your head.
Speaker 6: Well yeah, so yal flush, Yeah, it's only three hands, a royal flush or flush in a full house, that are gonna be two pairs, so it's only three hands. It's gonna be there three combinations of hands.
Speaker 1: I learned one day. But yeah, yeah, I doubled a little bit. But yeah, it was just stick the spades and tone.
Speaker 2: Well, while they're playing poker, Cable and X for us, they arrive on the island with the corpse of Apocalypse asking for the X men's help.
Speaker 1: Mike, did you really believe Apocalypse got killed by Gammon? No? I camember what we said last week.
Speaker 2: That's what I didn't remember either, But nah, no, and I remember and again I can't remember if I said it or not, but I remember thinking, I bet you fucking Apocalypse is just in Gambit's body. I remember thinking that. But this didn't really hit that hard. I mean they put I mean, first of all, Apocalypse like he just he smoked some of that really good crack because he was all fucking.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: He was stuck in that little tube or whatever. It was interesting watching them bring him out, but I think I expected them to be a little bit more inquisitive about what the fuck happened. They seemed to kind of just move on a little quick. Oh, Apocalypse is dead all right, But I don't know why they believed it.
Speaker 1: Why because Gambit? You think Gambit's gonna come back and kill Apocalypse.
Speaker 4: So that's so I didn't know. I thought this motherfucker was like a Kuma or something like, you know, like like like evil Kin and a Kuma were like the like the dark spirit of someone that they usually it's on Street Street, it's on Street Fighter.
Speaker 1: I don't know that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm a Street Fighter fan, but that's what I thought. I was like, Okay, I don't know this version of Gambit, and y'all been talking about him so much. I didn't know if Okay, maybe he is more powerful or whatever. So that that's what I thought someone, That's what I was saying to reveal you just said it with he was inside of Gambit.
Speaker 1: I didn't. I didn't know that. I had no clue.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, did you feel sorry for what? Did you feel like Cable was being too cold to his parents?
Speaker 1: Nah?
Speaker 6: I felt him, and I felt because he's his main thing is keeping the timeline in order. I got one job to do and that's here to kill dude. Yeah, all this sentimental ship y'all caught me with's fine, but I got a job to do, boss. I like, I stuck it all the way to the d until he didn't.
Speaker 3: I do want to say, just for the record, before you moved to that scene them playing cards at the beginning of the episode, what.
Speaker 1: In the entire hell? Like, what are we doing?
Speaker 3: Why can't we be more cornya Like we're gonna play cards?
Speaker 6: I thought this was a thing that they did in X Men.
Speaker 1: This was just just gamb was like another little Eastern end. Yeah. I don't want to be as nitpicky as Ken's being, but I'm we Ken she.
Speaker 3: Was corny, and I'm like, what do you? And then and everybody's happy and there they come. It was like it's it's very elementary.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: It was random, right, like they ain't been happy in two seasons and they're happy.
Speaker 1: I mean, you see.
Speaker 2: My only question was that you know what dead man hand is because I didn't really have nothing for this scene, like they.
Speaker 1: Were just playing cards. It was like, all right, cool. It was a bit much, a little heavy handed.
Speaker 7: All right, everybody has, like Jesus, their concerns, but you know now that they hear that gambit is alive.
Speaker 2: Everyone's basically like, we gotta go do it. But there's everyone has like their hesitation. It's like why, how we how it should be handled? The X men use Cerebra bro. I don't know why they.
Speaker 1: Why did they? Why did they renamed? It happened in the book, but I can't remember why they.
Speaker 2: No, I don't remember, but they did what they named Cerebro crib Bro.
Speaker 1: Oh that's all.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize the name was changed, just a differentiated Yeah, that's basically that's to me.
Speaker 4: That's why I also, I don't I don't know this whole X Court storyline.
Speaker 1: Bruh.
Speaker 4: It was like, yeah, because what so Cerebro was in the in the danger, so danger is basically remember the thing with the dreadlocks they can yeah, yeah, yeah, so now this is cere Bra.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I didn't even catch that it was different or whatever. Okay, you thought it was brou.
Speaker 2: I I just thought they said it's a bro. Well, this professor X uses this to find that Gambit is in New Orleans. He can't even do this, I guess, man, Oh my god, I'm with Ken today. I guess he was my voices, my head just to stay at home. It's getting bad. It's bad, Bro, It's bad. It's real bad. This episode just yeah, Bro, I don't know what I don't want to say about him. No more, man, it's not to say yeah.
Speaker 1: It's cut off a little bit. At one point. No, he when he got in into the know, he got his ass bomp.
Speaker 2: He said in the psyche, my will will prevail, and it.
Speaker 1: Said god off a little bit. That's all I'm saying. I was in him, I was still knocking down. He'll beat his ass in there.
Speaker 4: They tried, He tried to, They tried to redeem a little bits.
Speaker 1: It reminds me how they did Optimus Prime IoT.
Speaker 4: It was like, oh, mega top level is That's what I was saying last time I was here. I thought so too.
Speaker 1: But get a mega headache. That's all he can do. You can't even beat them at your own game, your own game. That was super crazy.
Speaker 2: You would love to have more content from Frames per Second. Become a patron where you can contribute to what we review and discuss. Our Patreon gives the listeners the power to nominate and vote a monthly discussion and film review, while also nominating and voting on weekly solo reviews from each cast member. You also get the opportunity to vote on the publicly released anniversary film, all exclusive to our Patreon. So become a patron at patreon dot com frames per second where there are two tiers you can choose from. That's Patreon dot com forward slash frames per second. Well, we now see that Gambit is death and he is he basically transforms the League of Assassins in the League of Thieves? Rod, did this make Gambit feel like a threat to you at all? Like a beginning to like all this?
Speaker 4: He always felt like a threat to me when because I thought he killed Apocalypse, I'm like, okay, well he's the ultimate threat at this point and so so now, yeah, when he was able to just like change motherfuckers with the cards and stuff to death, I was like, oh, I really didn't see how they would they would prevail against him.
Speaker 1: He'd seemed pretty bad ass to me.
Speaker 4: I don't know this version of Gambit, So yeah, I was I was not edge of my seat, but you get what I'm saying, Like, I was just really really interro with curious, like damn, what the hell?
Speaker 1: Because I've always been a Gambit fan.
Speaker 4: I've always liked him, but I just never knew this version of him.
Speaker 1: I had to make a name of himself. I've always liked to curious. You look cool?
Speaker 6: You did, You're riding off from the bike and shit, that was fine.
Speaker 2: So the hurry for gambit is underway with an X Men, but they're attacked by like the new transformed Leagues.
Speaker 1: So Spike, what do you think of this action sequence? When they rolled up on like.
Speaker 6: This, all of them was merging towards each other when it was.
Speaker 2: Well, no, this is when they're on the plane and they basically attacked the plane to get rogue, and.
Speaker 1: This was good.
Speaker 6: The later one was better. When all of the would converging each other, it looked like some Avengers ship. But I mean this was solid.
Speaker 1: I feel the same way, Mike. It was all right, It was all right.
Speaker 2: It was a little disappointed that the X Men couldn't deal with these people. I mean, I guess they have the power of death now, so they're just more powerful.
Speaker 1: But it was it was, it was fine.
Speaker 2: I think they they're holding out Cydeclops a little bit, and I never noticed it until people said it.
Speaker 1: To be.
Speaker 2: I mean, you got lasers out your eyes, bro, you can't just fucking all you gotta do is look at the motherfucker.
Speaker 1: It's like you even got an aid, you even gotta he just look at the motherfucker he in the comics.
Speaker 2: To me, he never really became the ship until he turned evil, Like he always just cool, like he has a cool aesthetic, but he was never that nigga to me, right, So that's.
Speaker 1: Why it fits for me. It doesn't bother me at all.
Speaker 2: Like I always look at Cyclops is a goodie two shoes, like, all right, bro, they're not his personality.
Speaker 1: I don't care.
Speaker 2: He's a he's definitely a whole, but I just mean his powers. It's like, bro, I don't know. These people seem like peons. But again, they had the power of death and they had bits of apocalypse in them, So I get I get it. So were you more surprised ken that Gambit couldn't like Roll couldn't transform Gamut, or that the X Men got their ass speak.
Speaker 1: They got damn tie, but damn tie they got. They got what they wanted to dip and plus one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was surprised that I knew. I knew it wouldn't work, but I didn't know that it would have no effect because you know, it's it was too easy, and it was halfway through the episode, so I was like, Okay, whatever the plan they're trying, it's gonna backfire. Either she's gonna pass out or something gonna happen. I didn't know it was gonna be like, oh, like nothing, nada. But they were in the sky, so it kind of made sense that they would lose it.
Speaker 1: Did it? Did you know?
Speaker 5: Who else?
Speaker 1: Sorry as hell?
Speaker 3: And this first fight yeah, yeah, and the air fight on the ground were something different.
Speaker 1: Who I'm kind of.
Speaker 2: With you now, Jean Sorry as hell, Jean Gray, Sorry as hell, intil the Phoenix bro.
Speaker 1: I get it, I get it.
Speaker 2: But they made you know, even before that, they were just like, oh, she's really powerful.
Speaker 1: As a kid.
Speaker 2: It was, you know, his first student, and she was, you know, she couldn't even hold a plane up.
Speaker 1: You know, you can't even hold up an airplane. Man.
Speaker 2: Something when you and shit don't get realized that they tap into the dark side.
Speaker 1: It's something about it.
Speaker 3: The cyclops are ready to leave, all the ass they have to convince them to stay to stop the plane black people.
Speaker 1: I think they're saying something to think they're saying something to us. Oh well.
Speaker 2: We get a brief moment of the remainder X Men as the X Men are preparing to join the team with a plane crash, but before that we see Gambit and Rogue I have in dinner about their future plans.
Speaker 1: Damn, Mike, fuck this. I'm not here for the Rogan Gambit thing anymore. I'm just not. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I hate to be so negative about this episode because I still love this show, but I'm just kind of over it. You just you just you're just a hard core fan. That's all it is. That's not what they're gonna say. I'm ready, I'm gonna I'm not saying you should ever give Oh yeah, I be hating on everything, Like, no, I appreciate you as far as like anything, like as a remake like live action, I'd be like, bro, no, like because I care so much about the regulars, like y'all not.
Speaker 1: Gonna do a justice. It ain't nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 2: Spike was Rogue overthinking the fact the Gamut was offering her immortality, like she was begging for him to come back, and he offered her immortality.
Speaker 6: She was acting like she wanted to bet with him, util he made the offer to like, Okay, this is how it's gonna happen. This is the only way that it can happen, so you may as well be open to it. But I do like how she act.
Speaker 2: I think she acted like she was gonna go along with it, and to the very end when she was going along with she was with it. You think I thought she was playing like, yeah, yeah, I knew this. Yeah, I think she was down. I think I think she just didn't know how it was gonna happen. When she saw how it was gonna happen, she was like when she saw somebody got killed for it, she was like that, but she was down.
Speaker 1: I don't know what you knows. One thing that was different about damn bit.
Speaker 2: What was it that motherfucker looked like he was a black man? He was and she's still from the South. And did you see when they was eating they had a battle of Samoud twice?
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 5: A Louisiana.
Speaker 1: From ya.
Speaker 4: If y'all look at it, it's a candle and it's.
Speaker 1: All I remember, just just hot sauce. There was the only other season, And I was like, what these still white days? They think hot sauce is a season So that movie put hot sauce on there, but we also put seasoning on it.
Speaker 2: White folks think hot is a flavor hot, get them like this is tasty.
Speaker 1: It's just hot. There's no sauce in Louisiana. Sauce is even spicy.
Speaker 6: It's just it's just hot.
Speaker 2: See that's the difference between black people and white people. Can't just said it it's just spicy or it's not spicy.
Speaker 1: Hot.
Speaker 2: Sorry, white folks, we love you.
Speaker 1: Can't good for ship. What Gordon Ramsey told y'all is not a seasoning. Well.
Speaker 2: This leads to gambit Enroll preparing for immortality with the leagues by attacking external and taking the power that populars gave her.
Speaker 1: This was racist to That's why she didn't want to turn.
Speaker 3: She was like, I'm sorry, I get you sorry, I am so.
Speaker 1: Rod, I'm so sorry, bro, I am so sorry. Where did I get you? No?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 8: Oh god, oh ship man, ship cut back.
Speaker 2: I did not expect that I'm cleaning up to. I'm sorry, man, but damn, I don't even know. I gotta but yeah, but she's basically saw him get killed in front of her, and then that's when the X Men arrived.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, how did you feel about this ride? Yeah? You know, they look they had heart, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But it's the first time I saw, like, I think them show up and like I wasn't sure if y'all were gonna win this, you know what I'm saying. So it was cool though. It was cool to kind of see that. I thought it was funny too. She's like, she was like, she got your ex too. What she said, he he possesses X to come try to get her to come back or something like that. I didn't know if that had any deeper meaning.
Speaker 1: Oh the woman that.
Speaker 4: Held Yes, I didn't know if that Why why is that the case?
Speaker 1: Like, what's the deal with her?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm guessing because the recap basically hints at that. Remember when Rogue was talking to Apocalypse Yeah, yeah, and basically talking about love and I love. I guess it's like kind of like to prove to her, like how how love can break you. It's not like a good thing because he also got his heart broke.
Speaker 1: Right right right by her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, you ain't fuck with I like, like it was a nice little DJ.
Speaker 1: I like that. I like that detail a lot. Ken mm hmm. Why night Crawler doing like that? Man?
Speaker 3: I h they actually won against the other guys.
Speaker 1: It was night Crawler.
Speaker 3: Bro Yeah, Nightcrawler was I've never seen night Crawler get line.
Speaker 1: Like this before in my life. He got busy. Now.
Speaker 3: I think he had a good He had a good episode last season.
Speaker 1: I feel like he did. This season was different. This is what we saw. I had. My respect for Nightcrawler went up a ton like he was.
Speaker 4: He was really good at the teleportation thing, Like he's just that to his advantage for real, for real.
Speaker 2: But Mike as bad as we've seen Professor X Genie Cyclops all this this year, this year has it? It's might not be a question for you, but I'm gonna ask you anyway in an xpike, Has it made you appreciate the power lovers of like night Crawling, like ju Beilieve even more. They're giving them more like spotlight of Like they're not just these throwaway characters.
Speaker 1: They can actually.
Speaker 2: Shine if you give them the opportunity to do you believe, No last Last Jubilee like episode three, No, no, no, I'm not saying that they didn't. I'm just saying that for me. It did not make me respect their powers anymore. I still think Jubilee is kind of sorry. I didn't really care for in the comments. She always stopped Nightcrawl. She wouldn't stop Nightcrawler. They gonna get she wasn't gonna do ship to Nightcrawler. No, she don't stopped them in this episode because she's like, everybody, close your ass.
Speaker 1: Why don't I remember that version?
Speaker 3: I must have closed my eyes too, and she did her thing and Fireworks couldn't see.
Speaker 2: I've always thought she was a great value version of Dazzler, so I still don't understand why they chose to keep her and take Dazzler.
Speaker 1: Out, but it definitely I mean, I've always.
Speaker 2: Fucked with Nightcrawler. Nightcrawler is dope. I don't think the movies ever did them right.
Speaker 1: They did, wont the movie I forgot the one when he was.
Speaker 2: When first showed up, Yeah, yeah, he was sucking up the president, but after that he didn't.
Speaker 1: Really Yeah, I thought he was doping.
Speaker 2: But this he gave all of them work. And I love that we saw it like first person. I don't know if they get this to be funny, but I was crying when he was and then you see storm arcaneel I was dying, dying, Nightcrawler was fucking all of them up, and give you more respect on him.
Speaker 6: I'm saying that's might not for Jubilee at all. For Nightcrawler definitely sold. For Cable, definitely so, but not for Jubilee.
Speaker 2: Well, was Cable wrong for betraying him?
Speaker 1: Nah? He had a mission? Mm hmm, so yeah, I understood. I'm trying to say the world they betrayed him too. His parents did, but I don't even have nothing to do with it, honestly, it's just but not with this particular thing. Yeah, he saw it was dying. I was like, yo, gotta take this nigga out right now, take this shot.
Speaker 2: This is believe was the one sucked it up. And sun Spot, I mean, he ain't tell him the plan. He was shocked, like, you're not doing it right, but they should be. They should have already knew, like, hey man, we can't trust this saw these niggas take out oh boy episodes ago, no fus about it.
Speaker 3: Arch Angels, Lock and and Cable. They were the only ones that were, you know, upset about it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, x Mes stupid for believing this ship because what was the what was the what was the trade off? Like when they when they first made the deal, and Professors was like, on one condition, you don't do X y Z Okay, fuck you, I'm just gonna go do this on my own.
Speaker 1: Then they came to 'all for help, but they don't really get the location. We don't like, we just need you to get us to him. We don't care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well professor, sorry again, you couldn't read his mind. Well he's all he's a Oh that's right, him and Sidelock. I mean, the only ones he could do is do an archangel. I sometimes forget he's a telepath. He doesn't really use it that much. Yeah, I don't think I realized. Oh I guess he would be since his parents. And that's how the plane got saved because Jeane wasn't gonna do it, so I help a little bit. He should have been one with her being on megal level, she should have been the one to do it by herself. But that's a that's a story for another day. Well, inside game with Psyche is a you know the fight that we mentioned.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Was getting busy Inspi. He would not he was not getting busy at all. I thought he was gonna save him doing the end when he was pulling out his soul.
Speaker 1: I guess it was.
Speaker 6: I don't know what was happening, but yeah, they.
Speaker 1: Played Tuger war bro right.
Speaker 3: They were I thought that, I know we talked about a little bit earlier. I thought that. I was like, oh, they finally they were making Xavier sorry to give him this moment.
Speaker 1: I thought that. I said, Professor was about to get busy. I thought, this is a ridiculous and it almost got there. It did. That's why I was saying he got a little busy. I don't know what I swear. I don't know what because.
Speaker 2: Talking, No, it's I think y'all think because he was talking bad, he was talking, he.
Speaker 1: Was doing something that whole time. Gambit didn't seem like he was worried at all. I don't feel you.
Speaker 4: But he was able to withstand him in moments, and nobody had been there in a moment.
Speaker 1: Like you said, it never felt like he got a one up. It felt like it was like a stallmate until gambit was over.
Speaker 3: And it's a psychic plane gambit of all people shouldn't have any type.
Speaker 1: Of regular gambit, but this game is different. It's a pocka gambit.
Speaker 3: I still even think that one should really have a chance on the cycle plane.
Speaker 2: They said, they said, Gambit has the ability to be a mega level and like he was a mega level in another universe, but he chooses he has to be evil in order to do it.
Speaker 1: That's why he doesn't do it in this So.
Speaker 3: But I mean it makes sense when we got to reveal anyway, Professor x is not one time shown why he's that guy.
Speaker 1: Not one time, not in this series, at least, that's what I'm saying. Yeah. Yeah, the comics, of course, but in this no, I felt like he did slightly this episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because like I said, no one else was able to withstand this Gambit like that except him.
Speaker 2: But that would make sense in like the real world, but you're in the psychic world. That's where Charles Xavier should be sun for entire time. But instead you thought you could fool me. But I'm just gonna get bigger. I didn't even remember what he was saying. He was saying something. He didn't even get through the statement again and made his ass like shut hot, damn, like he was getting his ass handled.
Speaker 3: Bro. Yeah, he had a good opening line too, when he when he first.
Speaker 4: Draw now you're in my world or something like that, Yeah, I will will prevail.
Speaker 2: And it didn't, and they're not going to address the because Rogue should have said something to him, professor, I heard what you said, bro, I had to save your ass.
Speaker 3: So and he went from standing in the back on the ground again.
Speaker 1: That's all he do.
Speaker 2: But I guess Apocalypse is saying kind of hitting that, like Nigga, you broken without Magneedle.
Speaker 1: He broken without your back. But that's not funny man say stuff like that. I did not say that.
Speaker 2: It's like like you need like you you're not even the same person without Magneedle being around.
Speaker 1: Did he start crying again? I think he did. He got he was he was shook.
Speaker 2: We didn't realize a Pocalypse was alive though, Yeah shook.
Speaker 1: But you should have known though. You should have known, Yeah, I should, you, out of all people, should have known or felt something. Oh he couldn't because he blocked it out.
Speaker 4: Remember like when when the cerebra thing, he was trying and it immediately He's like, oh, I think we're dealing with something that we've never dealt with before.
Speaker 1: So he couldn't see that it was true. But that could have been a hint exactly, It.
Speaker 4: Could be a hind But why But but you don't know what that is though, you still don't know that it's apocalypse.
Speaker 1: He's the leader.
Speaker 3: He should have at least went to a whiteboard and put you know.
Speaker 1: Something on Yeah, it could be somebody.
Speaker 2: You see that, this person, this person he told y'all his whole steeze during that fucking card game and he said, I must fold. That's all he does is fucking fold, especially in the Yeah, I wouldn't even go into the disability things. You fucked up. I ain't getting sucked up. But yes, he's folded up in that chair too. They listening to the audio. I ain't said nothing. They look at the video to his that was laughing. But he folds on every fight he gets his ass whoopd mm hmm. Well, but but if fit in that role with the person that saved him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean for the little love story and the thing that they were trying to do. I guess it's corny, like can't say earlier, okay.
Speaker 1: You didn't where you did it?
Speaker 2: Add to apocalypse, the story about him basically getting his heart broken and using Gambit in his way as far as the villain.
Speaker 6: When he was talking to the lady with the Dredds, Oh nah miss Yeah, that was.
Speaker 3: The part that I felt like we had a whole storyline. That was the whole storyline there that we didn't see. We missed him like yeah, and they just had to show us like one or two scenes. So what was a apocalypse plan? Just to get his woman back, get his power back through gambit as soon as all?
Speaker 1: When did he lose his power?
Speaker 2: I don't think it's the end of his plan though, I just think I don't think it's the end of his plan. I just know his I think his intent was to get his power back. But when did he lose it? Yeah, because he gave her a piece of his power to external.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah he did.
Speaker 5: Oh so the whole.
Speaker 2: Plan was to get to turn gambit and then use Gambit to come to that woman.
Speaker 1: See we didn't see any of it. That's why I was because they just.
Speaker 2: They told us he was like basically, he fell in love with her and he gave her a piece of power, and she portrayed him by like basically like I don't want to be anig and ran away, and so he's basically using her to lure her out to get his power back.
Speaker 3: She was like, who the hell worked me up for my slumber or whatever? She said, it's probably sleeping good too.
Speaker 2: They gave her, He gave her a bit of his woman. So they did her just like Tiana Taylor in that one movie with Leonardo DiCaprio. They just made it seem like black ladies can't do ship right, stealing ship and run away. But remember Apocalypse took over her, people like because king left. Remember she was she was basically a discipher with the king, so like he was stupid for believing that she was gonna be with him anyway.
Speaker 1: I mean, again, they.
Speaker 2: Should have showed us all this and it probably would have been way more impactful instead of giving us a backstory of it. But yeah, that's that's when I rewatched it. I caught her all over. Oh it is, don't but you gotta really sit there and pick it up. Well, I mean, other than that man Apocalypse shows up. You know, Roague saves him, and you know, Professor X tells the XO, we.
Speaker 1: Got a retreat, must fold.
Speaker 5: He told all the niggas on a group called niggas. Get out of it.
Speaker 2: God, he's sorry, fuck man, So we can't beat them?
Speaker 5: Man, No, I think we got a retreat now.
Speaker 1: It's such a look. You're no one to hold him and no one to fall.
Speaker 2: Well, he can't know when to walk away, and he's sure don't know when to run, so.
Speaker 3: Broad it full circle bank.
Speaker 2: Walk away though, But yeah, well we we the episode with him talking about getting Gambit is basically in a coma and Professor Xcess Apocalypse is still in there, but it won't be long before Apocalypse comes back out and takes them for good. And you know, Rogue is holding on the sugar. I did like when she said that. When she grabbed him, You're like, she's like, come home, sugar.
Speaker 5: Hey man, old country boy and me love that ship. Come home, shug.
Speaker 1: It was a moment.
Speaker 2: It was just after seeing Professor asket his ass whooped this is I think that's what goodest. I think that's your biggest gripe though he ain't doing ship, and I think that's I think that's the biggest.
Speaker 1: Thing for you right now.
Speaker 2: I know the Gambit shit probably ain't hitting for you, but him constantly, he's consistently getting his ass beat and so I can understand.
Speaker 1: That bothered you more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I just wish, like I said that this this episode wasn't bad. It just wasn't great to me. I think if the threat of Gambit was higher than I think, I would have enjoyed it a lot more. Like I never really felt like, oh shit, they're in trouble. I never felt that, even Nightcrawler whooping him up, I still never felt like, oh the X Men are in serious trouble right now. Again, I think the biggest great, the biggest thing that takes away from this episode is that apocalypse because external is also she was in the original series. She's like a guy. She's like a did she have her own book? She eventually comes in a book, but she's like a celestial in a way, kind of like she's basically God's tear. So when he killed her, that's supposed to make you feel like Gambit is like he got some god like powers. But if you don't know that or remember that and they didn't give you that, she's probably not.
Speaker 1: I mean took her out real quick.
Speaker 4: It made it this big thing like she was gonna He's like, oh yeah, enough of that ship.
Speaker 1: He took time for that.
Speaker 3: I was like, that was a dope line, but not. If I would have known that, I probably would have appreciated it more. But it's also like, there's no way she's like Dad dead. But it doesn't even really matter because she's not that bigg that important to that.
Speaker 1: It's been nine seven series.
Speaker 2: But they should have used somebody else to make us feel like this was a major moment because we didn't. We didn't get to see external be anything interesting or be super powerful. All we know is she is asleep in a swamp and she controls.
Speaker 1: That's just the control shit.
Speaker 2: She gets called upon by some white thieves in Louisiana. We didn't get to see her be a bad motherfucker. If we saw that at least once, then maybe this moment would have hit.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do some research on why it's only nine episodes compared to me, compared to the ten.
Speaker 1: Because maybe they chopped the episode on the animation.
Speaker 2: They got cheap on animation or something and they didn't want to do it because it's probably your story. It's probably an episode that was supposed to be here to give us that. Yeah, and they cut it. That's how it feels.
Speaker 1: What I'm thinking about it is that's exactly how it does feel.
Speaker 4: Like they're trying to pack a lot into these Like I said, I always feel like that, but I usually end up giving a grace. Okay, maybe it's not that important in this whole thing because it just feels like it's a lot to.
Speaker 1: Cover, which I'm sure it is.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, so you're gonna have some gripes, yeah, because they're not going to be able to cover everything.
Speaker 2: But that one detail would have changed a lot. I didn't know that about External. That one detail would have made it be like, oh shit, Gambit killed External. All I saw, Oh Gambit killed the black chick from way back in the day that was hanging out with King, that got left and didn't really seem to know what the fuck to do.
Speaker 1: He killed her, That's all it felt like.
Speaker 2: If it felt like, oh, he just killed a god, then it would have been a lot more interesting.
Speaker 1: But it's still it's still a good show. I'm just not excited anymore, which sucks.
Speaker 2: Well, we got one episode left, and you know x X Force and X Factor teaming up.
Speaker 1: Mm hm, you like that.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be interesting because I think Jubilee and sun Spot stayed behind, right, I.
Speaker 1: Don't remember they stayed went with the X Men.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so they didn't go with them, so which makes sense. I don't know how this is gonna work because he can't trust Val Cooper.
Speaker 1: Cooper is the head on.
Speaker 2: I don't think they trust. I don't think neither one of them trust each other. They're just gonna use each other to me.
Speaker 1: Saying, see how powers.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think it's her, it's her, mm hmmm hmm. They've been talking about Mystique a lot. That was another one that that I feel like they're building up, Like when we're giving Rogue and Night Crawling so much screen time, it's like, oh, let's gonna be a mistake. And with that whole episode with the one before this with what's his name Creed? Yeah yeah, Mistique is his mother too, and they talked all this ship about Mystique, and Mystique hasn't shown up. I don't know nothing about this blond lady. I don't know if she's in the books or not. Okay, but her showing up like this, I'm like, that don't make any sense.
Speaker 3: But you might be right though, that's a good that's some ship they'll do, so I can easily see them doing that.
Speaker 1: She was because she was fully clothed.
Speaker 4: She wanted like in a business suit and then and I was like, okay, that's she had powers too, or yeah because she had the X Force suit.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, but she's always like in the building. She's never on the missions, just telling.
Speaker 1: Them what to do. But that's why I thought this was different because all because she was actually on the streets with them. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this feels like more of a threat than the Gambit shit X Force an X Factor teaming up to fight the X Men. That seems like a threat. That seems like, how are y'all gonna be able to take all of them? Because fight the X Men, I guess because they want they want Gambit taken out. So that's what cableing them want. They want to be able to kill Gambit Slash Apocalypse.
Speaker 1: I can't remember.
Speaker 2: Because he's containing him right yes, God, you know Cable cables Destiny just killed.
Speaker 4: So how is he able to contain him right now? How is he able to overtake him right now?
Speaker 1: Who get over overtake Apocalypse from now? What happened in the power of love. Man, I think he's just suppressing him. I don't think he's overtake him. I get you. I figured something, something happened in that moment the road roll has that ambulant thing. That's what I need. Okay, that's what's told you. His own power is suppressing him.
Speaker 2: Basically, some ship woman to do that to you, bron use your own ship to suppress your I mean when we were seeing it talking about I also realized Bishop and Polaris was in this episode.
Speaker 1: Neither someone that they didn't need them. We know what they are, we know what.
Speaker 2: They are, laying that ship down so that it gotta be bitch a fucking I don't care what nobody said.
Speaker 1: I don't care what nobody.
Speaker 4: Because she was like on top of them in that last episode like that rescue me from a plane again for real?
Speaker 1: He said, this is from Magnum girl. You know all right?
Speaker 2: Man, Well, we'll be back here next week, y'all. We'll see if the last episode can turn the fortunes for uh Ken and Mike and if Spike even give a fun't me and Roder be here? Hopefully they ended off on a good note here for it. Yeah, same here, but until then, make sure you follow us FPS podcast, become a patron, and see y'all in the next episode.