Speaker 1: So the numbers come in on the consumer price index, an inflation conversation, and they're up point one point one.
Speaker 2: Huh, that ain't that ain't bad at all.
Speaker 1: The annual rates three point four, well, that's not great, but it's not going up.
Speaker 2: If inflation is not going up.
Speaker 1: It's gonna tell the Federal Reserve don't do any rate hikes because they want to because inflation is still too high. But the measure doesn't make any sense when you get rid of food and energy, volatile energy and it goes up to point two. I don't understand what's happening here, Tony Katz, Tony Katz today, good to be with you. Doctor batt Will, economist at the University of Indianapolis, is here to make it all make sense. This is peculiar, right, because there's a lot of conversation about that. The Fed was going to raise rates in September. You have two Federal Reserve governors who want to do that because the inflation is still too high. Tariffs are caused. Towers did not create an explosion of inflation. It's just keeping it higher than we want it to be. But you also have this madness of oil prices because of what's going on in Iran that's having an effect. Yet somehow if I take energy out, the measure of inflation goes up, and that doesn't make any sense at all. So let's start where we start, doctor Matt, Well, what does this report say to you?
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, you got to remember that this is not the report that the FED is going to use to make decisions. But it does give Kevin Walsh cover, and we spoke of that just about that just a few days ago. Kevin now has more time. This is a good enough report that it's going to give him some breathing room again to not have to make a decision to increase rates to control inflation, because this isn't the measure that they use to make their decisions. But here's the good news. So the report point one for the months, it's now a trend. Last month it was down point four down. So we now have a two month decent trend in the CPI, which is what you and ipay when we go to the grocery store. Core. You mentioned at point two point two, that's two point four annualized. That's still too high, but the rest of the report gives him cover. In fact, When you dig down into the details, almost every category is in good shape. The only two that are not are airline tickets, which are two point two percent for the month, and healthcare, which is point six. The healthcare is persistent. We continue to see an increase in health care inflation. That is the big red flag in this report. If there is one, the airlines, I'm not worried about. That's a blip because they have contracted inventory during the whole situation with Iran. They're going to expand their inventory once things stabilize. It's a good report. It's not a decision report. But the bottom line for me is it gives Kevin Walsh more time to make the right decisions. So he should be happy, and quite honestly, we should be happy because he'll probably end up doing the right thing on inflation.
Speaker 1: Now, but me, you said trend. Now, let me go through a couple numbers with you. If I take a look at all items from May, June and July, all items was point five negative point four and last month point one that we're discussing. If I take out food and energy, it goes point two zero point zero and then point two.
Speaker 2: What we just saw in the month of July. What the hell kind of trend is that?
Speaker 3: Well, okay, it's not a uniform trend, but they're all low. When you take with you, when you look at the core, which you did, and those numbers you just listed, those are consistently low. Now, I know I'm saying low. You and I don't agree. Two point four percent inflation is not low, but it's lower than it was, and it's low enough that it's going to allow him to not have to take inflation reactions quickly. And again, I've told you before and I'll say it again. I don't think the way you fight inflation right now is by increasing the said funds rate. I think the red funds rate is stable. It should stay stable. I like where it's at, the way that he wants to fight it, and the way I also want to fight it is to begin to sell assets off the balance sheet.
Speaker 1: Talking to doctor Matt Will, economist at the University of Indianapolis, we'll save that conversation for another day. Annual inflation rate at three point four percent. We look at this, the market looks at this and says we don't care.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, again, market's looking at it like I do. That three point four percent is a government number that's twelve months old. They're not looking twelve months old. The market is looking at this month and last month, and both of these months. If you look at the headline number negative point four and point one. The market likes it. So immediately when this support was released, four things happened. We saw that the Nasdaq went up, We saw that the Dow went up. We saw that interest rates went down in both the ten year and the two year, so we saw a decrease in rates. We saw an increase in the stock market. The market likes this report because they see the same thing I see. Kevin Walsh gets breathing room, and that's what they want him to have.
Speaker 1: All Right, you're gonna drag me into this conversation because your argument, sir, is that the removing of things from the balance sheet is the golden goose. Once that starts happening, everybody does better. The tariffs won't matter, oil prices won't matter. Your pain in the ass, brother in law won't matter. Nothing matters if we take things off the balance sheet.
Speaker 2: First, describe what it means to take things off the balance sheet.
Speaker 1: What it is, Kevin wash the new chair of the Federal Reserve believes in and then is it indeed the panacea we've all been hoping for.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm gonna answer your first your second question. First, it's not the panacea, but it's one of the pieces. Tariffs are the other piece, and that is a big, big problem. And I will refer people to an article that you send me about you know, mister wonderful Kevin N. Leary talking about how bad the tariffs are and how the AI is covering up the damage done by those. So no, it's not the panacea. But the way it works is very simple. The FED and anybody should look this up. Just go to Google and look up FED balance sheet and look at the image. Look up images. You'll see this massive balance sheet that they have. They own all these assets, mortgages, treasury bills. They need to sell those. They've been buying them to juice the economy that was wrong. They need to sell them because here's what happens. They sell a bond because the government owns it. They sell a mortgage because the government owns it. As soon as they sell those, they receive cash, and that cash is removed from the economy. That is the key. When they remove the cash from the economy, inflation goes down. They need to sell these assets. They need to take cash out of the economy. Kevin Walsh knows that's the way to do it, not by increasing interest rates. That is not the right solution. Interest rates are now in a very good equilibrium location. Now they need to sell assets and pull that cash out of the economy. But there are other parts, like we mentioned, like tariffs, like federal government deficits.
Speaker 1: Talking to doctor Matt Wyll, economists at the University of Indianapolis, let me throw a curve your way. I wanted to talk to you about the report, but in the world of ai as, what I had sent you regarding Kevin O'Leary is that Kevin O'Leary's point is that we're spending so much money investing in AI it is booing the economy. And if it wasn't for that, the tariffs would knock this not out of this economy and break it into And I sent that to you, and your response to me was where I was at. He clearly listens to our conversations. He's listening to the show every single day. We've been having this conversation for over a year now in different ways. But on the AI tip, Brad Lightcamp, who was the chief operating officer for open Ai, has left the company. He's going to start something new. The question before us is is this a sign of something bad that at one of the bigger AI groups that you're starting to say it's not just him.
Speaker 2: You're seeing people head for the exits.
Speaker 3: Wait, wait, are they heading for the exits or are they heading for new opportunities? I mean, think about it. If you were a big shot in one of these companies, You've got your stock options, you've got your pay that you've made over the years. You cashed in. But wait, we're at the beginning of this boom, and I believe we're at the beginning of this boom. Wouldn't you go off and be, you know, the next Steve Jobs, the next Bill Gates? Wouldn't you want to start your own I really believe that these people know there's a golden goose out there and they're going to go get their own.
Speaker 2: When you say get their own, that is to believe that is to believe that there's more investment to come.
Speaker 1: We're already into the we're over a trillion dollars in the investments, and you're.
Speaker 2: Telling me that there's more to come. Now.
Speaker 1: I'm not a believer that the pie is finite, right, I'm not a player in that, but even I have to ask the question, exactly how much more investment can there possibly be?
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't have the number in front of me at my fingertips, but just go look at what Meta did last two weeks. They announced massive bond issues for the purposes of getting so much cash that could dump into data centers and AI development. Apple, which is way behind the curve on this. They aren't even in the game yet. Wait till they get into the AI game. Apple has a history. I'm I'm not a fan of Apple's r indeed since Steve Jobs passed, but I got to tell you they's nothing to be sneezed at. This company knows what they're doing. This people are going to look back and think, oh, you're kidding me. I should have gotten into the E the AI early. Yeah. Yeah, it's not too late to get in on AI. This thing is just beginning to take off. I mean, I could give you this week of people entrepreneurs I've had conversations with who are saying it's revolutionize their business across the.
Speaker 1: World's great, it's revolutionizing their business across the world. And there are going to be plenty of places that there's pushback on, like you know what, we tried to say, I crap and it doesn't work.
Speaker 2: We tried to say I stuff.
Speaker 1: You know what, we actually need people again these things EBB and flow.
Speaker 2: My question was to.
Speaker 1: The idea of is there a moment where markets say that's too much investment, that you guys are spending in the wrong places. We need to self correct on all of this because you're all being ridiculous.
Speaker 3: You know what. The answer is, yes, but this is not that situation. This is not a bubble like two thousand and one, because these companies have earnings. These companies have profits. Another reason that we see CPI being moderated and not let's go back to the original topic and not the producer prices those things are still inflated, is because the profits are so huge. These profits are justified. These prices are justified. When you see the price of a stock going up. This is not you know, a one hundred times earnings with no earnings. Sometimes these are earnings, These are profits and the prices are reasonable given the growth in these companies. There is no bubble here. There is well, the market go down at some point, of course, but there is no bubble that we're looking at in the near future.
Speaker 1: Doctor Matt Well, economist at the University of Indianapolis. I appreciate you taking the time to be with us. Keep it right here. This is Tony Katz today.