Speaker 1: Front page right here.
Speaker 2: Good morning.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Ricky. It's Tuesday, August 25th. Here's what's going on in the news.
Speaker 4: The Trump administration is turning up the pressure on Iran, this time through its wallet.
Speaker 3: Treasury Secretary Scott Besant.
Speaker 4: Announced Operation Economic Outcast, which is an aggressive.
Speaker 3: Sanctions campaign against Iran.
Speaker 4: Aimed at cutting off Iran's oil sales, trade, and financial connections worldwide. But as that pressure builds overseas, there could be a leadership shakeup at home. The Wall Street Journal reports Army Secretary Dan Driscoll may step down by year's end after months of tension with Defense Secretary Pete Hegsath.
Speaker 3: Okay, listen, Ricky, you ready for Halloween? I know you do the most.
Speaker 2: Oh, you already know.
Speaker 3: I know you do the most. But guess what? Target is not.
Speaker 4: Target is pulling a Halloween costume after people called it offensive and hurtful to the black community. Target did not name the costume in his statement, but reports say it was the kids' glow-under-black-light circus clown outfit. Target says removing it is only the first step, and now the company is trying to figure out how it made it into shelves in the first place and what needs to change so that something like this does not happen again. You would think Target would be careful about stuff when it comes to.
Speaker 2: Black people right now. They just don't get it. They don't get it. That's why I haven't been.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: So, Ricky, I got some good news, especially for me and you.
Speaker 4: Emory University student Malia Wakashajwang turned her own struggle with ADHD into something that could help thousands of students. Her new AI-powered app called Asoma pulls together school assignments, picks the three biggest priorities, and breaks overwhelming projects into smaller, doable steps. I could use this in my everyday life. I know you could, too, Ricky. Now, she built it using lessons from her own life, her psychology studies, and techniques her mother taught her.
Speaker 3: Man, if we had this in high school, we might be the president of the United States.
Speaker 6: Come on now. And we got our cousin Kurt Franklin sitting up here. I know you got ADHD, too. Boy, I know I got bad.
Speaker 2: I got bad.
Speaker 4: Do you think it makes you a better performer on stage because you can juggle a million things at once?
Speaker 7: Yes, I think that the pluses and minuses with just a lot of things are always that— It's kind of that yin and yang to life.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 7: You know, like when you when you have ADHD, you're very impulsive.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And so you can do things on the spot. But then when it's time to sit down and pay attention and try to be engaged. It takes a little bit of work. And I didn't do well in school. And then, you know, coming up in the 80s, they just called you stupid.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: Busybody.
Speaker 2: They did. They just called you stupid. Straight down. They didn't give you. Hey, Kurt. They don't even have a special name. They put an extra teacher.
Speaker 6: In the room.
Speaker 2: All the way down to the hall. I didn't go down to the hallway, but no.
Speaker 6: You didn't go to the hallway.
Speaker 2: That was something else going on. I'm so dumb. That boy dumb.
Speaker 3: Okay, for info on these stories and more, go to TheSmileyMorningShow.com.
Speaker 2: We weren't on the bus. We weren't on the bus. We weren't on the little short bus. Hey, Kurt, somebody told me y'all went to lunch at 930. Y.T., the sports genius, is in the building. Hey, Kurt. Hey, Kurt. Hey, Kurt. They went to lunch at 930 because they got out at 12. This is.
Speaker 8: Awful.
Speaker 2: Just awful, guys. That ain't the ADHD kids. That's something else. That's what's dumb.
Speaker 4: He's trying to lump us in.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh, man. Oh, flat chest. They just like our 20s. Kurt just said you're so short you can sit on a dime and swing your legs. Now what is going on here?
Speaker 3: What has this turned into?
Speaker 2: What's going on? Oh, Kurt. Oh, my God. Dumb.
Speaker 6: No. You're going to do sports right there, Kurt. Kurt's going to get us fired.
Speaker 8: All right, so the Cleveland Browns, man, they named Deshaun Watson as the starting quarterback to start the season.
Speaker 2: Shocking. Shocked the sports world.
Speaker 8: Shocked the Cleveland Browns fans. I'm not so sure if this is a football decision based off performance because I watched the two preseason games, and I think Shador Sanders won the spot. But here's what Deshaun said. to the Browns fans a couple days ago.
Speaker 5: I think the whole world knows it has nothing to do about the performance. It's a little bit personal than that, so I think that's a disrespectful thing. Last time I played on this field, I tore my Achilles. And that same fan base, they cheered when I got hurt. It's a mental battle every day. I feel like I get more love on road games than I do home games, so..
Speaker 2: So, look, here's the deal, man, real quick. I'm rooting. I want people to win. I want people to win.
Speaker 8: I hope Deshaun get out there, and I hope he has an all-pro season. But at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: But he under a lot of pressure. He got a lot of pressure. And the fans don't like it. The fans boo him every time he hit the fence. They shouldn't boo him, man. That's not cool. You know, the coaches have a right to make the decision or whatever.
Speaker 6: But I think Shadua is really setting himself up to win because if he don't perform, then they're going to put Shadua in.
Speaker 2: And it's just going to go from there. Because, you know, would.
Speaker 6: You rather, you know what I'm saying? You don't want him to have all that pressure because to do it is only going into his second season. So, you know what I'm saying? The best quarterbacks were backup quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: The best. Ask Tom Brady. Look at every single great quarterback they were backup. Yes, indeed. So we're going to see what happens, man. But Cleveland Browns, boy, they're going to have a tough season.
Speaker 6: I mean, look at Kirk Franklin. He was the backup for Alvin and the Chipmunks. Hey, let me tell y'all something. I'm so tired. I've been attacked this morning by Erykah Badu and Kirk Franklin. Hey, this is what we do. This is what we do. We don't do nothing but roast. We don't take nothing serious. Y'all better be glad John P. Key ain't on here because it would have been worse. It would have been worse. All right, what you got, Brett?
Speaker 9: He'd be singing about sugar don't go on grits, Lord.
Speaker 2: Good morning, everybody.
Speaker 3: I'm your girl, Brat Tat Tat, and this is the hot spot.
Speaker 2: Where we bring you music, movies, and more.
Speaker 3: So let's get on off into it.
Speaker 9: Well, y'all, Jafar Jackson is speaking out about the sequel to Michael. He says the upcoming sequel to the biopic will address the sexual child abuse allegations and provide insight.
Speaker 2: From his late uncle's perspective.
Speaker 9: And he explains that the family's main issue has been that Michael's own voice was.
Speaker 3: Never truly heard as it relates to the allegations.
Speaker 9: Now, Jafar also reflected on Michael's character during his later years, saying he never stopped treating people with kindness. And I hope that that is felt in the second movie. Lionsgate is reportedly starting production at the end of this year or at the beginning of 2027. What do y'all want to see about these allegations in the movie? Anything or how Michael Jackson felt or whatever?
Speaker 7: I really don't want to see it. Yeah, I don't want to see it. Let's let the movie end. It don't even need to come back. I'm shocked that it's coming back because when you've hit all the highlights like the Motown event, the thriller, you know, in my humble opinion now, Brett just said something that I didn't know. I didn't know that Lionsgate is already greenlit. You know, it's because, you know... It made so much money.
Speaker 2: Right. Highlighted all the good positivity.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know how that script is going to really pan out, so we'll see.
Speaker 9: Well, I think because his family and his son is a part of it, hopefully they keep things, well, lighthearted, and it's going to be from, I guess, how Michael Jackson felt since his family feels like they wanted the world to know how he felt from his perspective.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 9: Hopefully they hit it good and they do a great job because I don't want to see nothing else negative about Michael Jackson. I don't. I'm sick of it. I love them, point blank, period. I will ride or die for them. I got his tattoo on my full right leg. Is that the one next to mine?
Speaker 6: Oh, Lord, Lord, Lord.
Speaker 3: We're going to wrap.
Speaker 9: Up the hot spot on that note.
Speaker 2: If you missed any part of the show, make sure you check it out on the Ricky Smiley Morning
Speaker 9: Show podcast, available wherever you And you can catch me on all my social media at SoSoBret.