Speaker 1: Meantime, back at drop Light Grant Park, we're in Westfield where they continue the second of two joint practices with the Falcons and the Colts and DeForest Buckner. A little bit later on, but on the any More Automative Group hotline, it is our friend from the Star who covers the pasters, Dustin de Puic, joining us. Hello, Dustin, how are you good?
Speaker 2: John about yourself? Man?
Speaker 3: Dustin fantastic?
Speaker 1: I will say this, if all of a sudden I disappear and it's Caleb, Caleb is going to take over, So don't let that surprise you just in case.
Speaker 3: Okay, Pal sounds good man. All right, let's start with the zone.
Speaker 1: How has the overall response been from what you've gathered so far from Pacer fans regarding their content providing announcement of earlier today?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I actually asked that question just on Twitter, just basically, what do you guys think? More or less? That's something an assignment I got for my boss, uh, and it seems like it's what I would have expected. I think what's interesting is anybody who has been getting the broadcast through FanDuel or through balleies and using the apps for those companies is happy because this is an upgrade and it's actually cheaper. Anyone who is actually buying the app will be spending less money than they were spending on that. As I understand it, I can't remember what the subscription prices were for that, but I think if you're getting the early bird price, you're actually paying less money than you were for that. The people that are bothered by this are people that already have subscriptions to some kind of cable or cable ish service, you know, something like Spectrum or Direct TV or something on those lines. People who are already paying money are a little bit annoyed by this because they're like, Okay, it's one more thing. And I think there's a general feeling of being bothered by this whole thing because so many people have just feel like they're you know, just washed in subscriptions. They're just constantly being asked to pay something more for something else that they didn't used to have to and they're remembering, hey, this was just part of my cable package. I paid one hundred bucks a month whatever it was, and that that's how I got everything. Now, you know, maybe you still kept that cable package and you have to have all these additional things that you used to just get as part of that, and so I think they just feel like they're paying, you know, paying more for less than they used to get it. We're paying a lot more for what they used to get. So there's I think again, I think it's positive for the people that were already watching paces games through an app of some kind and they look at the price and say, Okay, that's totally doable for me. But the people that have been paying for something like cable and we're holding onto it that way are not pleased that way.
Speaker 1: So Dustin to Pirac at the start, the Zone is the content provider for the Pacers now, at least for the foreseeable future. So if you wouldn't mind recapping for everybody that may be a bit in the dark about this announcement earlier today, what does the Zone and the partnership with the Pacers entail dollar figure amount and then what kind of access to the pacers and other situations like the Pacer fans have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I don't know what the dollar figuring out mount in terms of what the Pacers are getting out of this. It's a five year deal. There are opt outs involved. Basically the way this came down in the first place. Obviously, the company their owned valleys was called Diamond Sports Group. They went under a Chapter eleven bankruptcy and in May of twenty twenty three, Main Street Sports kind of formed out of the wreckage of that, and they basically Won't. Won't wound down at the end of the basketball season, so they were in a position where they had to pick somebody new in the NBA basically told all these teams that were in that position, hey, try to get something where you have an opt out, you know, basically because they're they're looking into the idea of having what mel Rains referred to as an aggregated solution, just basically that there would be kind of a hub for these regional sports networks run by the league. But what mel Rain's pointed out, she said that the das that the Zone is interested in being a partner for that hub, so they're there. It's a longer term agreement because there is kind of, I guess on hope on both parts that this will be compatible with whatever the league does after that. So pricing numbers as far as you know, for fans are concerned, A season pass at regular price is one nineteen ninety nine, but I guess there's an early bird and I think that's what people were excited about. Is if you buy the subscription before October fifteenth, it's fifty nine to ninety nine for the year. It's also nineteen ninety nine per month if you want to go that way. But if you're a season ticket holder, you get a complimentary season pass, and I think there's going to be free trials for everybody who signs up for a subscription. Beyond that, there will be I think twenty two games that will be broadcast in front of the paywall, so you can watch for free on the zone. They're also looking for a local broadcaster that they're hoping will take fifteen of those twenty two games that will be able to broadcast live over there. So they're looking for somebody that would be a local affiliate for one of the for one of the networks, basically for whether it's ANCCBS, NBC, Fox, one of those four. They're gonna look and they're gonna get hope to get a local broadcast partner out of that. So that's the whole rundown for this consumer. But I don't know exactly what the team is getting out of this from what their financial end of it is.
Speaker 1: So you you mentioned the whole local broadcast entity as a possibility. From what you have you heard, what options are out there? We know what Channel thirteen does along with the fever. Is it Channel thirteen or might it be somebody else out there that could be that local provider for a handful of games?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they wouldn't. They wouldn't tell us. I mean you would have to think THHR would probably be a favorite for that just because I mean I think they did. I think it was THHR that did maybe it was it six seven games last year. So you would think just having started that already, that would make them I'm sorry, okay, anyway, sorry I heard cambsay something I thought. But yeah, I think that they there. You would think they'd be the leader in the clubhouse for that just by having done this already. But that you know, but I don't know at this point, and there they weren't giving us too much information on that. But but still you would think that. But those would be kind of the options, whether it's you know, WISH or WTHR or or or one of those options. I'm trying to think of all the other call numbers in my head that I'm not remembering right now, but any of those sort of local broadcast affiliate networks would be the ones that they would be targeting potential partners there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a Dustin to pierrack of the Star, the Zone and the Pacers are together for your streaming Pacer season coverage. Here fifty nine ninety nine for the early bird. We'll get back to that price in just a second. Is the whole full court or in season package for the NBA is that's still intact? Is that still an option for Pacer fans out That's what I'm going with as a part of Direct for a number of years.
Speaker 2: Right, It's I mean it's an in the market, out of market thing. I mean, I don't know if it's going to be Direct different for Direct TV or anything on those lines. You know, this is for basically it's it's for sort of in market subscribers. So like if you're out of market, you know, and you're getting League passed, you're still going to get the patients the same way. It'll be part of your League Pass subscription as I as I understand that that will still operate the same way. And I don't know where kind of all the market lines are specifically in terms of where you get League Pass versus where you get the zone. I mean, I think that the zone listed like a long list of states including I think Missouri and Iowa that were considered in market. So I don't know if that takes you. It doesn't seem that it would make sense that if you're in Iowa you wouldn't be able to watch a Pacers game as part of your League Pass subscription. That doesn't make a lot of sense. I mean that the lines don't seem to go that far for other things. It's far similar packages are concerned, so I would be surprised. I mean, I don't know how it will work, particularly in this market. I mean I think that like, you know, I get MLB TV. I know, like Red's games are blacked out on MLB TV, I have to watch on TV, and you know, Cubs games, White Sox games the same way. So I think it would probably be similar with the Pacers and maybe the Bulls, but I'm not totally sure about that how that's going to shake out.
Speaker 1: Uh dusted to Piroc right there, the Zone and the Pacers for the foreseeable future. Do we know what type of negotiation went into getting down whittling down this price tag? And then how does that compare two other NBA squads that also are utilizing the Zone for their content provider.
Speaker 2: That's a good question. We're still figuring out there. This is like I think the second in what's going to be a the Zone rollout. I mean, out of these thirteen teams that were on, I guess main Street Sports, you know, among the group that we're being represented or partnering with Main Street Sports, the Timberwolves or I think the first ones that came down and I didn't look at their pricing. I had to do that. But I think one thing that they said, we we got a briefing with Mel Reins and Joey Graziano on Wednesday that was embargoed UH to get a better sense of how this was going to shake out, and they were very adamant about saying that they they tried to push for the best pricing that they could do given this circumstance. Again, you know, the Zone is only a streaming service, so they're not going to go get a channel.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And they're not going to be able to sort of make up for this with you know, rights fees or whatever from TV. You know, this is going to help. This is how they operate. But they tried to push, as they explained it, to get the best deal that they could uh for fans that way, I think because they they know that there's going to be some level of backlash to even having to pay anything more for this at all, So they tried to whittle that down as much as they could. And and and again I think fans that have been getting stuff through streaming see it as a pretty good price.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: And so they were they really pushed on that. You know, one thing Mel made a point of saying is that de Zone was the only potential partner. And they said they talked to maybe a dozen, but de Zone was the only one that came into market. And and you know, they basically like really made a push. And I think the Zone is making a push for almost all of these properties. And you know, they they came in town. You know, basically they met there trying to get an understanding of how the market works. They're not trying to do this just from a distance. And so that was one of the things that they got across, basically, was that this has to be you know, accessible, you know, and and you know, relatively inexpensive, you know, for fans as much as possible.
Speaker 1: So can I share this with my mom in southwestern Indiana the dream if I get it?
Speaker 3: Can I do that? That's really weird for me saying that my apology.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, I I I'm not totally sure how it shakes out. I mean, because I think you can get it on a lot of addresses. I think somebody mentioned this to me that I and I hadn't seen this, that it's I think it's two. It's like it's eighty for two devices or eighty for two IP addresses, So you'd be forty each in that case. So, but you couldn't just give your sixty dollars subscription away, I guess. Uh. And that's so I'm a little bit foggy on those details in terms of Okay, well, what if you do it this way, what if you do it that way? What if you have this into that you know. I was on the impression coming out of there that it was okay, if you're subscribing to this thing, you know it's it's available. I mean, I know, I get a Direct TV subscription and that's available from my laptop, my phone, and my TV, and I don't have to have three different numbers for that, and maybe in this one you do. I'm not totally sure.
Speaker 5: John can't heart Yeah, John, I think John, you cut out there, Dustin. One of the questions that I had was how does and you brought it up earlier with the Bally deal, how does it compare to those deals? Is it more expensive? I maybe maybe you'd have to look back at the numbers, but like, do you think this is a better deal than what they've had in the past for fans?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I interestingly enough, I mean I hadn't. I didn't have that number off the top of my head. And everybody that's been telling me about basically their experience has said, you know that it is cheaper. And I can't remember what Bally had, I Camember, what Vandal had. I mean, so if it's less, it must have been more than sixty and it might have been eighty or ninety somewhere in that range. And so you know, I'm not sure. I have to double check that certainly before I write my story to make sure I've got that right. But as I understand that it is cheaper and the difference is there. You know, Fandel and Bally at least appeared on some either cable or cable ish packages if you will. I know it was part of my direct TV streaming package at home. I don't know. I guess they had some issues with a Spectrum and I know they had issues with a Hulu and some other of those kind of streaming services being a part of those things, Dish and whatnot. So it really depended on what you got on kind of what your overall you know, cable or satellite or whatever package it was, whether it was included. But I think if you were going via the app, you know, this app is actually less expensive than that one was.
Speaker 1: Can they promise that the streaming issues that were taking place a year ago won't be taking place this season?
Speaker 2: They didn't use the turn promise, But I'd say the zone is very proud of itself, is the best way that I could put it. Uh, you know, it's obviously a very very different it's you know, it's obviously a completely different organization. So you know, they're they I think one thing that their guy. They had a representative at this briefing, Xander Berlinski, said, I think they've got two thousand somewhat engineers, I mean, and they've got a pretty big overall caseload internationally. I mean, they're they're a very big global you know, basically grow global proprietor here. Much of what they do at this point is still overseas, like much of most of their overall bandwidth is either in Europe or Asia or something along those lines. And basically they're I think they're I think La Liga in Spain and Serie A in Italy or entirely their properties basically in country.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: And they also are I think one of the biggest distributors for the NFL out of the United State. And so basically they've had to stream a lot of stuff and you know, I don't understand the technicalities as much to get okay, what would make them better at this, but they have a lot of practice, I guess, is the basic point. And they had to broadcast some very very big events in in places where if you mess this up, you're going to pay for it, you know, if you get Serie A wrong in Italy, you know, like that's gonna be a pretty big embarrassed embarrassment to you companies. Same deal with La Liga, you know, and some of these other big boxing events, and you mentioned domestic baseball in Japan was another big property they have. You know, if you were screwing this up regularly, you know, and if you were screwing up international broadcasts of NFL games, you know, there would be a price to pay. And it seems like they've done pretty well. So it seems like this is a thing that they understand, a game that they really really get. So whether that's going to show out, you know, we'll see. But you know, like presumably it seems like a company that's better equipt. Obviously, both Diamond and Main Street Sports went under pretty fast, and those were, you know, seemed to be doomed situations from the beginning. This you know, this company has been standing for ten years on its own prior to taking on on these networks, so it seems to have more practice in what it's doing.
Speaker 1: Hi, Dustin, what do you think about the whole package? Personal opinion?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think you know, I I I absolutely sympathize with anybody who's looking at this and saying, oh man, I got to do something else. I mean, because I think we're all like just as people in the world right now, you're just like, man, like how many you know, how many like monthly chunks are taken out of my paycheck just in terms of subscriptions, because you know, it's like you've got this. To get this thing, you have to you have to go, you know, apply for this, and you have to go apply for that. You have to spend money here, and you have to spend money there, and it's just like, oh man, how many things do I have to sign up with just to get what I used to get? And so that is I think bothersome. But I mean like having heard you know, from Melon from and from the Pacers and from his own, it's it's also like, well, like this is where the world is going. I mean, like there's a reason why these networks went under. There's a reason why these rsns went under because there's been so much cord cutting and because just the model hasn't worked. And so when you're dealing with a situation where everybody who tries to do something goes out of business, then you've got to do something else, and you've got to ultimately embrace what's next, because you know that you're just not going to be able to raise this banner over and over again and and just try to do it the same way. You know, I think a lot of people were hopeful that it was people. I wouldn't say people were hopeful, because it's not like the Pacers indicated they were going to be able to do this, But I mean, I think a lot of people would like to go back to a time when you could get a local broadcast channel to just take this on. And as we mentioned, that doesn't work that way, and it's there's not necessarily something in this market. She pointed out that some of the teams have been able to do this, have been able to do that with what we're basically dead channels. They were able to take this over, and she said they weren't basically able to find something similar in the Indiana market that they could just take over and turn into a Pacers channel. You know, that just wasn't an option where it has been an option someplace else.
Speaker 3: That's a Dustin the Puak of the Star.
Speaker 1: He's on the Andy Moore Automotive Group pot line, and I promise you this my brother. The next time you're on, we're gonna be talking about hoop and under this geeky technology, costly bull crappy. Okay, buddy, sounds good man, excellent, Dustin Puak there by the Andy Moore Automotive Group pot line.
Speaker 3: Thank you for the time. Thanks guys.
Speaker 1: All right, a couple of things here. Did you see me? I'm almost catching stuff out here and everything I'm invaluable to this operation. Caleb jump on here. Earlier dude, you were flashing hands. Just in case this happens again. I want to reiterate that you take over and you run it because I trust you. We trust you, and it's twofold. This is how you learn. And I'll give you a quick story before I had a break when I was working with Mark Patrick and Mark Patrick started to do his show from his house. Sometimes he would go he paint a room or calk a bathtub or something during the break and forget to come back. Sometimes he would forget to come back and then I would do it.
Speaker 3: But that's that's how you learn. Man. Everybody trusts you.
Speaker 1: So if something goes food bar and technology, especially up here, that is completely out of.
Speaker 3: Our hands, you take the Baton and you run with him.
Speaker 1: I say, okay, that's Caleb's I'm John at drop Light, Graham Park Speed, Greg raidylaws here. He's gonna win this. Top of the power. The Forrest Buckner is still to come, Apple, still to come. I've got tickets to give away to Kansas Deep Purple and thanks to Mett Gowins and Triple A at Triple A dot Com, Alabama shakes tickets to give away as well.
Speaker 3: So you guys sit tight for all that and more. Do not go anywhere where.
Speaker 1: This is ninety three to five and one oh seven five the fan. Hey, welcome back to drop Light. We're in Westfield and it is over the second of two practices with the Falcons and the Colts preseason Game two is coming up on Saturday. If you're watching on the stream right now, he can wave at you and he's right right behind him right here, the Forest Buckner, the Colts is with us.
Speaker 3: How you doing, man, doing well?
Speaker 4: Doing well.
Speaker 3: Appreciate you guys for you.
Speaker 1: Look like you feel I know you just had practice and you're tired as hell, but you look like you feel good. Yeah, look like you're in good nut shape. You're always in good shape like everything. Oh yeah, I'm feeling really good.
Speaker 6: You know, being able to especially these past two practices, you know, is the most us I've got, you know, all camp and everything we've been ramping up to it, and yeah, I been feeling really good, you know, being getting back in the mix of things and uh, it's just wanted to be back out there with the guys.
Speaker 1: How dark were those times when you really didn't know you were going to be able to do this again?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know I was. It was.
Speaker 6: I definitely got to a pretty dark place. But I you know, I was very lucky to have people in my core her like my wife, you know, to kind of you know, help drag me out of that whole a little bit, you know what I mean. You know, it's especially the first month after surgery, you know what I'm saying, not being able to do anything, just pretty much be on bed rest for the for most of part. It was a struggle. It was a struggle for sure early on. But you know, having somebody like my wife and a lot of other loved ones around me, and obviously you know, having my kids around and a lot of prayer. I mean, it's it helped me get through those times and I'm just blessed to be here today.
Speaker 3: Was there a signature moment when you knew, you know what I am coming back?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know it was really you know, I had a great conversation with my wife. I mean, you know, she she just you know, she really just made me realize. She was like, you know what, you never quit anything in your entire life, and you're not going to start now. She was just like, you know, we're gonna take it one day at a time, recovery, rehab, and just take it one day at a time. And you know what, That's what I did, and and that's you know, that's what really helped me.
Speaker 1: Well, there are so many things that I think psychologically can work against you because you've done all this, you've accomplished all this, you've feel set, and you got a family, spend more.
Speaker 3: Time with them.
Speaker 1: But ultimately, man, it's that juice of competition that has to pull you back in.
Speaker 3: Sure one hundred percent.
Speaker 6: And uh, you know it's I'm very happy, you know, it's that I made it through that time because you know, being out here, being back on the field, competing, Uh is no other place like it.
Speaker 1: All Right, DeForest Buckner is with us. What do you think about the way the defense is coming together?
Speaker 6: So yeah, I mean I feel like, uh, you know, we put together a solid couple of days. I mean, obviously there's things we can still clean up, you know, so a bunch of time before the season starts, but I like, well, like what I'm saying so far, you know, we just got to you know, some minor things we got to clean up in little things like that, but continue to communicate, especially with all the different faces in there in the mix, and I feel like we can be something special.
Speaker 1: So your your teammates, especially though it's coming off the edge, like lay out to lat too, what have you seen from him from your angle where you've seen improvement and maybe a little bit of an upgrade in results coming off the edge and more of a consistent pass rush this season.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I just I would say the confident, you know what I mean in his rushing abilities, you know, each and every day, he's just got to continue to, you know, build that confidence and build off of what he did last year. And I feel like he'll be able to be set up for a great year.
Speaker 1: So I know him very well because he's from here. Kayden Curry. I don't know how well you know him. Obviously a teammate. Now what have you seen from the rookie from Ohio State so far?
Speaker 6: Now, I mean he's like a Swiss army knife, you know what I mean. You can put him wherever, you know, whatever you need, he'll do, you know what I'm saying. He can be inside, outside, and uh, I mean he has that natural past fish ability, you know, if you know, he goes from one move to another. He's he's uh, he's really good at what he does, you know, with his craft and you could tell he's been he's been working on it, you know, rushing inside and outside to have that ability, and you know he's he's a technician.
Speaker 3: So it's it's been fun to watch him.
Speaker 1: So knowing you have at the back end, whether it's Mooney or Sauce Gardener or whomever. How how nice is that to know you have this incredible playmaking.
Speaker 3: Ability in the back end of this defense.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, it definitely brings a lot of confidence to the front, you know what I mean. And you know, we know we you know we can get there. You know, we're having guys like Mooney and Sauce and Wally and uh and uh Cam back there, you know, all those guys back there. I mean it's it's definitely some confidence, you know, annoying you. You you have a little time to rush.
Speaker 1: It is buying them the one he's to figuring everything out for you on defense, making calls and such. Right, Yeah, So how different is that for it? Because I know the guy that used to do that is now in Green Bay. How was that for you with him taking over?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I feel like it's been good. You know, uh Cam's been doing a really good job with taking over that spot, you know, owning it and everything, and you know, getting the calls, you know, relate to everybody, and I feel like it's been it's been good so far.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Deforce Buckner is with us.
Speaker 1: What is this rank as far as this defense in this group compared to defense as you've been a part of either here or in First Go in the past.
Speaker 6: No, Yeah, I mean it's it's up there, you know what I'm saying. I feel like it's one of the top defenses, especially on paper, you know what I mean. You know, but on paper doesn't mean anything's out there, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Improve it.
Speaker 6: So we're definitely up there, you know, on the defense that I've been on the past, and you know, we just got to go out there and prove it.
Speaker 1: Lou and Remo and uh, what he asked for you? What what is on the top of that list? What he asked for you? What is your job description on top of the list each and every week, each and every game for me personally?
Speaker 3: Yeah, dominating my one on once Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you do you allow other people to take advantage then when you do that too, So that's job number one.
Speaker 3: Now that's a tough that's a difficult gig.
Speaker 6: Yeah right, No, yeah, I mean, uh but you know it's you know, it's what's required for me, and you know I wouldn't have it any other way.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: So you had a summertime where you're rehabbing a neck and and your back. Did you do anything that was was fun at all besides just getting back to it?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, took my kids to Disneyland. Well heck yeah, hit did a bunch of golfing, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Do you get back to Hawaii very often?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I try to every year when when I can, you know, to take my family out there this this year during the summer, wasn't really able to, you know, get out there, just because we had so much going on, you know, with with the with the kids and everything throughout the summer. So I'm hoping to get others how much of how much of your families? Dell and pretty much all of my mom's side. That where you see yourself one of these days getting back there. Ye, visiting a lot, Yeah, visiting a lot. So yeah, but it seems like a hell of a place to grow up. Yeah, honestly, right there, all right, I gotta ask you this.
Speaker 1: The Oregon Ducks, out of the Big ten, I believe preseason rank second, had a little difficulty with the Indiana Hoosiers, the defending national champions a couple of times a year ago in Eugene and in the Peace Toll.
Speaker 3: What about the Ducks and the season coming up here? You feel it? I''m filling I feel it every year. I'm optimistic every year.
Speaker 6: So you know what I mean, I'm gonna be I got a couple of you know, I got I got a couple of guys on my side. I know here I'm not the lone Duck anymore out here. So you know what I mean, we're gonna be We're gonna be repping a.
Speaker 3: Lot of brown.
Speaker 1: When you were in Eugene, what if I would have told you that a handful of years down the road, the Indiana Hoosias are going to win the national title?
Speaker 3: What would you have told me? I would have laughed. Yeah, when I was back in school. Yeah, it is, it is it.
Speaker 6: It's awesome though, to see that the way that program was turned around in every thing, and it's been fun to watch.
Speaker 1: How would have you been in the n I L Era as a collegiate player? Have you ever thought about that? Had the NIL era been a part of your era? How wo had that been for your the transfer portal? Would you have stayed or would you have bounced around?
Speaker 3: I think like that. I mean I think I would have stayed, to be honest. I mean that's just that's just that's just kind of how who I am.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you get one place and you stay, and yeah, I kind of wonder that's tested in nature.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's definitely tested for sure. I Mean I couldn't imagine having the portal and the NIL back in my day.
Speaker 1: It to me, there is something to say about legacy though, Yeah, for sure, and so many of these guys end up losing their legacy.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: That's been one of our main points and talking about the whole, the whole you know deal. I mean, like, where do they go back to, you know, when they want to go back and visit you know as a lum. Yeah, what school do you go to? And if you've been to three different schools? You know what I'm saying, Like, what school's going to claim you is? You know what I'm saying, Like, that's hard.
Speaker 1: No, Well, I go back to college in the nineties and it's like stratospherically different. But do you imagine how different it is even for you going back, Not as far as I go right now, it's completely different from when you were there.
Speaker 3: But I would agree with you on that.
Speaker 1: I just don't know if a lot of people would be on the same page monetarily over legacy. But we see that on a high school level all the time too. It just seems like a legacy is becoming less important. But for guys like us, I think it's understandable. Right there, What can this team do this season?
Speaker 3: Divorced?
Speaker 6: I mean, I think we can honestly, we can definitely, how do I put it? Exceed expectations?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Do you read the expectations or look or watch what people view you as record wise this year?
Speaker 6: I mean you motivated by that or you too know? I definitely get motivated by it, you know what I mean. I mean I'd be lying if I said I didn't see it, you know what I'm saying. And with the guys that we have on this team and the trust that we have in one another, the belief we have in one another, I mean that's how I feel.
Speaker 1: Is there something that we don't know about this group that that you see because you've been around this game long enough as a teammate, about this group that maybe we don't see from the outside looking in.
Speaker 6: No, I just feel like everybody's hungry, you know what I mean, just just hungry to get out there and win. I mean, I mean just the way we started last year obviously and the world we were on and then obviously the way it ended. I mean, you know, it is a bad taste in our mouth, and I just feel like the guys are are are hungry this year.
Speaker 1: The words of your owner carly Ers Gordon saying this is a a must have, must win type of season that resonate to you as well.
Speaker 4: Oh for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hungry is a good way to put it though, because it has been a while. Hey, congratulations on be it back, getting back from that dark spot. One of the bright spots always right here is this guy. Go ahead and wave to the folks out there watching it. DeForest Buckner of the Colts joining us here live drop lit.
Speaker 3: Thanks man, Thank you, stay healthy. Pal. We appreciate you.
Speaker 1: That is DeForest Buckner. Thank you very much for joining me and uh we'll see you again soon.
Speaker 4: Pal.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: The Forest Buckner right there. Mike Chappell's gonna join us. You want to go early today, do you.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what. Let's take a break. We'll get Mike coming up on the other side as well. Caleb. We can do that. Drop Light. Westfield Graham Park is our location.
Speaker 1: DeForest Buckner will put that on a podcast at one oh seven five the fan dot Com.
Speaker 3: The Ride with JMV. We'll be in a professional arena. We'll be in front of a lot of people House Sports at E three five and one oh seven five. The fan.
Speaker 1: Dev is the on site engineer Caleb has done a great job.
Speaker 3: Actually, both have done a great job.
Speaker 1: And thanks for the scrambling folks down off of Saint Joe's for getting things done. Busy day so far to Forest Buckner on the show, Greg Rakestraw and Dustin Depurek. The Zone is the content provider of the Pacers for this season and upcoming years.
Speaker 3: And what was it again, Caleb? Fifty nine ninety nine? Correct? If you go for the early Bird special.
Speaker 5: Correct, fifty nine to ninety nine it's gonna cost one hundred and nineteen if you don't. So you really want to get in on that.
Speaker 1: And we have a lot of people split right down the middle on this. I told you I don't have any room to really gripe because I will have to get it. I don't know, like Mike Chappel, who's with us right now when Rejoins had a great point about you don't know how that is going to affect I'm assuming this is just going to be a streaming service you have to get via Roku or something like that itself.
Speaker 3: Correct, that's all that's going to be. It's not going to be offered anyplace else.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's above my pay grade. Yeah, when I turn it on in the first game and I can't get it on my AT and T, then I'll say, oh.
Speaker 3: People are gonna be griping. So people like me that.
Speaker 4: Don't look ahead and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I mentioned this, how am I going to I get my mom for this?
Speaker 1: I got to get her qualified for it, which is I guess, sharing the stream and then making sure that she can get it. Because there's no bigger Obie Topping fan than my eighty year old mom down in Green County and Owensburg, no doubt about that. So more on that story coming up in a bit. Mike Chapel rejoins us. As I mentioned right now, I asked.
Speaker 4: Hey real quickly a shout out to Steve Girardi.
Speaker 3: Yes, he set me up for before the flood too.
Speaker 4: It was amazing because it was kind of messy all day, it cleared up great weather, and then about an hour after the concert's over, I guess I had to shut it down because of flooding, so we hit the window.
Speaker 1: So Steve Girardi is an excellent dude. Another excellent dude is Jaylaw. Jaylaw's fu Bar lounge is not too far away. The pool is fixed and the beverages are flowing if you want to wait out that rush hour traffic before we head back to Beats Grove.
Speaker 3: That's an idea right there.
Speaker 1: With our good friend Jaylaw, I should mention tomorrow Ingles Taylor's Pub and Table, Brent Halverson and Tony Rinz and Evan Williams. Can you guys all join us coming up tomorrow? Hopefully so, because you know how Fridays go in a place like Taylor's. With this show in mind, that is tomorrow, we start at three in Ingles, right off of I sixty nine at Taylor's. Hoping to see you there also before I get back to Mike and about this Colts team right now, two three nine ten seventy, we're gonna do this on the phones number nine, two three nine ten seventy. It is on Monday, ever wise, Amphitheater downtown, Deep Purple in Kansas, number nine, and do not disappoint two three nine ten seventy. You'll win those tickets Deep Purple in Kansas, ever Wise, that is on Monday, number nine.
Speaker 3: You're a winner. How is the kicking battle going to this point with this team?
Speaker 4: Well, right now, statistically, groupies, you know, got a huge lead. It was like ninety sixty nine percent over Spencer Trader, and then Trader makes those two monster kicks in the opener to tie to tie it. So I don't know they're going to get rid of a good kicker. I don't I sort of have an idea what they might do, but uh again, you've got it's funny. You've got a guy who holds the official franchise record with a sixty yard field goal at Seattle, and then you got a guy that kicked a sixty one yarder unofficially in preseason. So and the whole thing with Trader. He's coming back from too, you know, two major ligament damage in his kicking knee, so that that sort of set him back a little bit obviously in the kicking competition. But he was as good as it got before he got injured.
Speaker 1: How in the world you look at uh Grouppie over there, How does he get all that energy behind that football kicking at it?
Speaker 4: He looked and we see him in the locker room.
Speaker 3: Looks like he needs to go to class.
Speaker 4: It looks like he said he's coming into see to get everybody's you know, cafeteria orders. He's not a bit he looks he's not even big in shoulder pads, but he's got it's that golf leverage, yeah thing. And I'll tell you when that that sixty yarder he kicked and it should have won the game for him, yeah, in the last minute, and it didn't. So again, it's really been fun to see Trader again. He's had a lot of Missus encamping and for the most part they've all been just left and whether that's something still from the from the rehab or whatever. But again, I won't be shocked at the keep Spencer Trader. I know they like him, but group he's gonna finish camp with the numbers, if that matters to anybody.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Keenan Allen a little bit earlier, signed about forty eight hours ago, made official, and the impact you expect. He's been a guy that's put up good numbers. Whoever he has been most of the time with the Charges, but a year with the Bears. He did that with Caleb Williams as well. What's your expectation for results from Keenan Allen, of which this offense needs and needs dramatically.
Speaker 4: I was thinking that if you had an over under of catches at sixty just because of the people around him. But I've thought he'd give you sixty catches falling out of bed, because that's what he does. I have never ever considered and this isn't meant as a criticism, I have never considered Keenan Allen Hall of Fame level. He needs like forty eight catches to be number five all time. He'll surpassed Marvin Harrison and catches now, not the yards. So I think what he does, and we'll see we were talking here all right about it a little bit tonight is the I think the player who will be most impacted by Keenan Allen is Josh Downs, because all of a sudden, this receiver group is back where it was. You've exchanged Michael Pittman traded to Pittsburgh with Keenan Allen, you know, an older version of pitt So I just, all of a sudden, you know, well, with pitt gone, Pierce is gonna get more, and Downs is gonna get more. All of a sudden, you're you're you're adding a guy that's gonna get barring injury, eighty ninety targets and there's only so many plays in a season, and let's say eleven hundred snaps, but JT is gonna get three twenty because they're gonna run the ball. So I think it's gonna be they're gonna test Josh Downs's patients again, because that's kind of the function of this offense now, which is which is a really good thing for the team. And I just want to see how they You get your best players under field, and you maximize your best players. This is the old Tom Moore philosophy. So it's really gonna be up to Shane and Jim Bob to find snaps, define targets and if they do, great, But somebody is gonna be getting less than what they thought like four days ago.
Speaker 1: So are you sure that we're going to see Alec Pierce in week one? Absolutely? Positively?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 4: Well no, but but ninety percent sure. I think again, what we don't see. I think he's working his butt off on the side behind, you know, before practice. I think he's really doing stuff, but he needs to be practicing, uh within a week, I mean off of pupp and practicing when they get back to town or get back to the complex. And I think if he's got three weeks to be back back, you know, to be back with the team. He'll be fine, but he's uh. It's the thing people need to remember. He hardly ever came out the field last year. He was like ninety snaps of game. You know, he and Pitt. We're not going to see that. But I am pretty sure everybody that I believe tells me. And we talked to Ed Dodds the other day. He said, I'm not worried about Alec Pearce. Again, I understand we're you're coming from it, and you've got more than enough evidence to say, well you have what about back here? But we are past the timeline that they gave us. I'd have to go back and check my notes, but I thought it was first it was a clean up surgery, but it was more than that. It was at left heel and the ankle, and it was three to four months is and we're past that time, which is one reason teams don't like to give to give time frames. When you missed it, well, hey, I thought you said, but yeah, yeah, So I think if he's back and has three good weeks, two really good weeks the practice, he'll be okay. But that's why And again people need to realize they didn't sign Keenan Allen because of Alec Pierce's situation. They were going to do this anyway because they needed to.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I'll get much more concerned if at the end of next week he's still on pupp which means he cannot actors with the team. The longer it goes, then all of a sudden, you're intena really start tingling. Mine are tingling a little bit, but not where they they're hurting my ears.
Speaker 3: So what does he need to do?
Speaker 1: He used to be taking the top off, going down the field and stretching the field.
Speaker 3: But we know this. You get a raised at that position, you're going to have to be asked to do a lot more.
Speaker 1: What do we start in what you ask Alec Pearce to do and be production wise for this team this season.
Speaker 4: I never believe that he was going to get that many more. Yes, more targets, of course, but you can't increase the volume and lose the impact. Now, he's not going to average twenty yards of catch. It just it won't happen. But he still needs to average sixteen seventeen. But when with him being more involved underneath it's gonna make receiver DB's play up a little tighter, which if he's successful nderneath, then it frees him up over the top. All So, if I'm a dB, I'll tell peer's hey, if you want twelve yards, go ahead. You're not going to beat me deep. But him expanding his route tree is going to open up the deep, especially with everybody else doing what they do with Tyler Warren and Josh Downs and all of that. But I think anyone who thought he was gonna all of a sudden get one hundred and thirty targets was wrong. But he's going to be increase. But they can't lose the chunk plays because that's part of the reason he's getting that money, not value, but what he brings to the team.
Speaker 1: Keithan Allen was a guy that they signed, obviously, and it took a lot longer than what we thought. But he had said when he was introduced to the media here that it was his decision to come here.
Speaker 3: Do you think that?
Speaker 1: And we saw that the Texans were compromised with an injury yesterday as well, and the.
Speaker 3: Wide receiving corps.
Speaker 1: Without a doubt, would he have been someplace else playing football this year, had it not been the Colts that ask him and he made that decision to play here?
Speaker 4: What he's still yes, he'd played somewhere else, but the fact that the culture answered, and let's let's not underplay Shane Stikeen's influence. They were together for seven years in San Diego slash Los Angeles, and except for the one year I think when Allen was hurt, he was he was one hundred and twenty targets and one hundred catches and eleven hundred yards. So there's something there. There is, you know, he calls Shane syke In a genius and and and I can't remember the last time Shane Syken talked about a player the way he did Keenan Allen, maybe Daniel Jones he has So this was always going to be a matter of when not if. I don't think that Houston or somebody could have could have swept in and changed things. It's funny Shane Stacken mentioned how and even so did keenanw How they talk all the time every week? I don't know, but you know, I'm constantly and I asked Shane Stike and when did your talks go from Hey, how you doing to Hey, when are you coming to Indy?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: You know it can't really legally, it couldn't happen until mid March when his contract expired. But they've been talking. There was dialogue and keithan all even said, you know, we had talks without my agent. So this was going to happen. This is not going to be signing Andre Johnson, who was so done when he came here. This is a guy that still can play. Uh, and he'll he'll give him. It's a it's a one year thing and that's and then they'll worry about twenty twenty seven next year. But this was going to happen. And when he walked in the media yesterday, he's he looks a little bigger than six two now he's not Michael Pittman. Well, he's a good sized guy. He got work with the ones today. I think Shane's toady, like twelve or fourteen snaps, so he will be Now. Now, you would have won the bet if you said who practices first with the Colts, keenan Allen or Aley Pierce. So you know that's again the Pierce thing is a problem until it's not. But I feel a ton better now with this offense with Keenan Allen than without him.
Speaker 1: I said my chapel of CBS four and Fox fifty nine. You'd mentioned the running game is not up to where it needs to be yet. Obviously you believe in Jonathan Taylor, so it will be. But what comes next? And it looks like it's a rookie that comes next as of right now. And I don't know if we got any update on DJ Giddens. He went practiced a little bit today, but he went out individually yesterday, didn't perform in the team orientation.
Speaker 3: Was it kind of the same scenario today.
Speaker 4: I didn't know if he was out on the field with the twos or threes, but he was out there running tests on the hamstring. So I think he's okay. But every day he misses it pushes him further down SETH mcgallen's had a really good camp. It's funny how whenever I see players anymore, I when I see the number, I think that was who in the last twenty I remember was Jordan Wilkins, who was a pretty good running back. And if that kind of guy you's your number two, you're in pretty good shape. But what you need from a two barring injury is come in and give Taylor a series off to where in the fourth quarter he's really healthy. And right now you think it's gonna be McAllen, but you don't know. But you've got to find somebody that you trust when Taylor comes out. Yes, there's gonna be a drop off, it just can't be where he's a non factor. And so far, so far, you like what you've seen.
Speaker 1: We saw Matt Gonzalvez out here a moment ago too. How's the offensive line?
Speaker 4: Look?
Speaker 1: We know all about how solid the group is as the starters, but there seems to be a lot of unknown after that.
Speaker 4: I'm not crazy about the backups. I think they can get by a guard, whether it's Dalton Tucker or Josh Sills or Farmer, he'll probably the top guard backup. I don't worry about the starting five, but I worried that the starting five rarely rarely starts every game with the last time here was it in twenty eighteen or nineteen? And who's your who's your backup swing tackle? All right? I would argue that right now Mowaly Cox is your third tackle. Uh, so they've got they've got to solve that backup center and also shout out the ball stake. Danny Penner with a torn patella. Gosh darned, I hate that. And he was the guy they were gonna miss because he could play the three spots inside out that Quentin never comes off, so they need to get and again today the backup center, whether it was Morrissey or whether it was Tucker, the quarterback doesn't know where the ball is going to be in shotgun, So how do you play quarterback when you're not even sure you're going to get the ball. That's a can you've got had. You normally like to have eight or nine guys that you know. If this guy has to play, we're okay, And right now they don't have that.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Shavarius Ward and the red flags going up with the back situation. Let's start right there, and this thing doesn't work without the dudes in that secondary conclusion.
Speaker 4: Yeah, with him, this will be the best secondary they've had. I'm including the safeties because the safeties are deep without him, then everybody moves up a run. Then probably justin Wally instead of being your nickel, maybe he goes outside. He had a great pick six yesterday, and they thought he was gonna start outside last year, so that would work. But then you're gonna put Cam Taylor Britt either inside or outside, and he's gonna miss the first game when you lose again. This is doctor rich von Turry. All the time football the NFL comes down to how good are your top ten or twelve guys as opposed to the other team's top ten or twelve guys. Yeah, and when you take a Mooney Ward out of there, it it just weakens you. It just it for It's like again not to go about to Keenan Allen, but when you bring him in, all of a sudden, the guys, the guys who are like fours, Ashton, Doolan and Treadwell, they were going to be threes. But now Keenan Allen lets those guys go back to really be what they are. And that was Mooney Ward. If he's out for any length of time, which we'll see, it moves everybody up, and it jockeys around other guys to where instead of being a backup or the fourth corner, than he's your third corner. And it just MUCKs things up.
Speaker 3: Mike Chappel of CBS four and Fox fifty nine with us. How concerned are you about the ward situation right now?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Probably more so than I am Pierce. So you know, I don't know where you put him. Whether Pierce is a five and when he's a seven. Yeah, I don't know. When you're not practicing, there's a concern. When you're one of the top players and you're not practicing, it's concerned. When it's a back, it's a real concern. That's why I'm so impressed by Buck. You had him on. Yeah, I've had that my mind's lower back, and I'm still not over it. The fact that he came out here after herniated disk in his upper neck and play a man's game is amazing.
Speaker 1: I I asked him this because I was curious about the answer. When you've accomplished so much in all levels, you have a family, you like to be around, right, you want to do a lot of things, and you want to try to maintain a.
Speaker 3: Level of post career health. I didn't mention making all the money, but that stands to reason. He's made all the money. Well, he's made all the money.
Speaker 1: How difficult that is to come back when you have an injury of that nature. And it comes down to, as he explained it, that you of the challenge of wanting to compete.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he was very upfront with us, whether it was in June or whatever. Maybe maybe it was in January, he said. He said he had some dark moments when you're thinking about that, because you're thinking about, you know, you played this game for twelve fourteen years. If you're extremely lucky, but then you then you get the rest of your life.
Speaker 3: He said.
Speaker 4: After he had that surgery, he couldn't even lift his kids for several weeks. So, but that tells you how these guys are wired. It does. And he whenever I've mentioned this before, and I mean it, whenever you hear Carl Orsay, Gordon or Chris Padder talk about horseshoe guys, that that's what they're talking about. They're talking about that kind of a guy. I still would like to know in one of his private moments, why he's still here. Why didn't he try to jump ship and go somewhere he's lost, He's lost, like I guess a ten and focused nationally because he's played in a market that hasn't been very successful. He goes somewhere else, and people follow over themselves because he's still an elite player. But I like Buck. It's his last year here under contract. If he goes back and play as well, maybe resigning again.
Speaker 3: One of the things we.
Speaker 1: Talked about was how college athletics is now, and I said, you know, it's so dramatically different than when you were at Oregon. I said, if nil money, would that supersede in this case, legacy at Oregon? And he mentioned, you know, I think I would choose legacy at Oregon over making money and bouncing around in all places in college athletic.
Speaker 4: That's what I say. It's hockey, but you know, a horseshoe guy, that's what you want. You know again, could he have made more money elsewhere? Maybe? I don't know if he could have made more money elsewhere here because they've made him pretty good, but he could have chased more, you know, all pros and all that kind and maybe a super Bowl elsewhere. But I think some guys, and there's not a lot of them that they it means something to know I'm going to finish it here. I mean, we've been building something that's taken longer that they wanted. But he wants to build something here. He wants to be part of. If they get over the hump this year, he wants to be part of that. And it's funny now when they have the draft, the first check round pick. He's played three places. It's hard to keep track of these guys.
Speaker 3: You know what you have in him when he's healthy.
Speaker 1: We have seen and know what we have in the past at Sina Grove at Ohio State, and I guess we've seen it so far with Cayden Curry. What's been your impression on the rookie from Sina Grove from what you witnessed so far.
Speaker 4: I hope they find a place for him by the active roster as opposed to the practice squad. The George Gumps guy, they like him as well. And I think if you put either pass rusher on your practice squad, you're probably gonna lose him, probably uh. And it'll be some special teams they'll be They'll be like Robert Mathis as a rookie and trying having to make your mark on special teams and then you earn reps, but it's you're really you really hate to get rid of a potential pass rusher because they're just hard to find. It's gonna be the it's gonna be dependent on how the position breaks down. One thing that's gonna help him is I guess they keep four linebackers. If I gave you one hundred dollars for every time they've got three linebackers on the field, you might have one hundred dollars, right right, So so, but but but again, I like, you see the potential and what he's done when when he was out there in the fourth, third, and fourth quarter against guys that it was on the level on the depth chart. But he's not dominating. But but but he's being successful against them. That's what you want. If you're gonna play against those guys your own level, then be the guy that people notice.
Speaker 3: Can't see anything I guess dramatic in practice. But is it just me?
Speaker 1: Or I have we not heard out to Latsu's name at all? Oh, he's had a good camp. Is that why we haven't heard his name at all?
Speaker 4: Yeah? This is one of those that when you're watching the seven on seven, eleven on eleven on eleven, you know we got Daniel Jones eleven of thirteen and in the defenses with coaches just think, well, you know LATCHI would have had a sack here, would have had a sack here. I think we talked to Louis and Rumo next week and I want to ask him through their tapes had they charged how many sacks Lots who would have had At this point, he's had a good camp. He's got it's you know so what. He had a good camp last year. He's got to do it in the season. They've put a ton of pressure on him to be the guy. There's no right now, there's no sidekick, there's no there's no MATHISTAFREENI not that I'm saying Lots is freeie, but right now he's the guy, and that that that makes things tougher on him because you can slide your protection to him. But uh, I think he's had a very good camp. It's very hard when you're at all not allowed to smack quarterbacks to pull up and say, well, I got him right. I think he's I don't worry about him until the season starts to see that these near misses turn into hits.
Speaker 1: So Mike Chapel of CBS four and Fox fifty nine, he is right here with us. Anybody surprisingly on the cut line here No, what's.
Speaker 4: Going to be interesting is Keenan Allen was always worn number thirteen. Yeah, now he's wearing ten, which I had flashbacks to ad Mitchell. But we asked him about approaching tread well and he said, he said if he's a veteran, and I didn't want to create any waves. So we'll see if thirteen is available on cut day or not. I don't know, but no, not really, I.
Speaker 3: Did he say it that way. We'll see if thirteen is available on cut No. I said, oh, you're saying no, no, no, no, no, I thought he said. I thought you were saying, like a lot.
Speaker 4: Please, folks. That was me.
Speaker 3: That was that was me.
Speaker 4: That wasn't Keenan Allen saying yeah, I'll wait a couple of weeks to get out. Okay, but but no one really Jalen Jones hasn't really done a lot. Remember he started was at thirty four to thirty seven games, and last year he hardly got on the field. And whenever they have the development mental period out here with the younger players where they really hit people, he's out there. So what people need to do is watch the fourth quarter and guys that are out there, they're fighting for that last couple of spots, which is not which is great for them to still be fighting, but at some point, these rosters, these coaches and the personnel guys for the most part, know who they're keeping and who they're not keeping.
Speaker 1: And they shout out to Steve Girardi by the way, because we had to get my guys right time to see the Seager tribute. Yep, Ay Connor Prairie right there, outstanding time. I appreciate all you do for the station.
Speaker 4: Pal.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Mike Chapel of CBS four and Fox fifty nine, he is right there.