Speaker 1: The Frames per Second Podcast. Welcome to the Frames per Second Podcast, where we are discussing the new film, well not new anymore, but highly regarded film. Marty Supreme joining me today. We are virtual, so we have Nick go On, roight Man, and Mike. Yeah. All right, so Marti Supreme. Guys, a lot of people talking about this Best Picture nominations. I want to go around the room and get the thoughts of the movie overall from everyone. Nick, what you think about Martin Supreme?
Speaker 2: Super right? Superriight.
Speaker 3: I think there's a lot of good things here, but y'all know me about the runtime. It was a little too strong, little too long in the tooth, a little bit of in the middle park, but it was it was a really really good film.
Speaker 1: Rod, what'd you think.
Speaker 4: I liked it? It was. It was in my top ten. I don't know if you remember that. It was eight in my top ten.
Speaker 1: I thought it was good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I enjoyed it. I went to the theaters and yeah, yeah, I enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Ken, what'd you think overhyped? I'm like, they really just made a movie about it. Man playing playing pink pall, l Bundy playing paint pall.
Speaker 6: Like for real? Like that. That's that's that's what we're doing. That's it. And he only did it twice. Okay, we just booking and playing.
Speaker 1: Ten All right, Mike, what do you think about the movie? It's rare.
Speaker 3: It's rare that I agree with ken O really every word him just said this. This movie was the most overhyped fucking movie I've seen in a long ass time. I was beyond board and it was egregiously long. There was no reason for this ship to be two in the fucking half hours of this fucking dumb ass trying to figure out how he can go play tennis. Get this ship the funk out of here. Now, he's that table centers, that's what he called it.
Speaker 1: He caught the table to your favorite movie. And you know you didn't even catch that. Y'all spoke about it all the time, right, y'all spoke about the run time my sound went out in the theater. Oh this five minutes that was in the theater. Oh so five minutes seeing the sound goes out. It does that for maybe five minutes. Then they restart the whole movie. They didn't even just pick up with a sound like the whole movie. Wait, wait, how far it was five to ten minutes in the movie when he was talking to it wasn't that bad. It wasn't that bad. It was when he was talking to his uncle and he was telling his uncle, you know, like, I'm going to play over here in this tournament and whatever. His uncle was like, Bro, you're the manager here is like just stay here. It went out through that whole part and then they started it over Uh. But to you guys's point, it was it was super right. I agree with Nick. It reminded me a smashing machine, like the person in here is doing a good job, acting like Timothy Shalla made it an amazing job. I do agree with that, But I'm looking at it, I'm like, Bro, I don't give a fuck. I don't care, Like I like what, I don't care. They never made me care about none of this stuff. Bro, the dog, the baby, the girl. I didn't care about any of that. The only thing that held me was the job that Timothy Shalla.
Speaker 3: Made was talking about you didn't care about Tyler, Tyler the creator's hair.
Speaker 1: That his whole thing cut out, Mike, his whole thing could have been cut out. I wouldn't have been mad at all if Tyler created like that old everything that we got from that led to them, so I at least thought they would come back in the But we start out with Timothy's alime characters selling shoes in the shoe store. We see that he's a good shoe salesman kind of because I mean he wants to be manager or whatever it may be. But his love interest comes in, and that is Rachel. We understand that he's known Rachel since he was eight years old. She said she lost a pair of shoes. They go to the back, they do what they do. Was this appealing at all to anybody?
Speaker 2: Not the way you cut it up? Tell me what was appealing about it? Then you tell me, tell me what you cared about. Go ahead round.
Speaker 1: No, I thought they.
Speaker 5: I thought they established He established himself as a to me, an interesting character, just somebody that's the termin you know, although he was a good shoe salesman, he still had had high hopes for himself, you know, to be you know, greatest table tennis players.
Speaker 4: So now I like I like to start. It was fine.
Speaker 5: The energy of it was fine because not just him. I think the way the pacing of the movie, I think they did a good job with that.
Speaker 6: Hm, I wouldn't say it was. It was interesting. I think we were so far like right in the beginning of the movie. I think, you know, of course, that whole storyline comes around later because they did the whole little thing with the sperm or whatever. So I think it definitely played a part in it later on. So it was a key moment in the movie. And then, like Rod said, you can see his ambition, his hot energy when he's talk is his high belief in.
Speaker 1: Himself, you know.
Speaker 6: So so yeah, so I think, uh, it was, it was, it was needed, but you know, it's so early in the beginning on the move, it's just like, all right, well this at the time was like really didn't know it would mean anything.
Speaker 3: I didn't This is a Krinsworthy scene early out out the gate. To me, Timothy shouting made I don't ever want to see another sex scene.
Speaker 2: Like all the sex scenes he had.
Speaker 7: Bro.
Speaker 3: I'm cool on him, bro, he he to me, he's not an actor in that way.
Speaker 2: So seeing that scene out the Gate.
Speaker 3: Was just kind of like, all right, I don't give a fuck immediately about their relationship, especially if you're sucking a girl behind a shoe store, like that, tell me that tell me all I need to know about your relationship. You can't fun, you can't go to a hotel, you can't like you fuck her at a shoe store.
Speaker 4: But it did.
Speaker 3: But I like, to get to Ken's point, it was in this show, like around that scene, like he's a smooth talker, He's a super confident kind of dude. You can kind of tell how the story was gonna go. It's gonna be based off of him. Believe it in themselves. But yeah, I mean this scene was just like, all right, let's get let's go through the movie like this can't be you know, one of the best parts of the movie.
Speaker 1: Mike, what do you think?
Speaker 3: I didn't give the fuck at all because the second she came in, I was like, Oh, this is a ploy so he can go on the back and fuck, that's exactly what I thought. The second she came she thought that, Yeah, yeah, I don't know. I mean, I just didn't believe any of it, so I just didn't I didn't care.
Speaker 2: But I was like, Okay, you're going on the back to fuck cool.
Speaker 1: This movie was getting a lot of comparisons to Uncut Gems, like the camera work and how it was paced and things like that. Did y'all like that, like when you first started watching it, like could you see it was shot differently and things like that, was it shot? It was similar to the Uncut Gems type of shooting, like they were crediting the director of this of how it was shot, like the shaky camera made you feel like you were there, things of that nature. I didn't.
Speaker 5: I didn't, I didn't get I did see that after the movie and while I was watching, I didn't feel Uncut Gems, But when it was pointed out, I was like, I guess that was kind of like Uncut Gems, but hm hm, I just feel like Uncut Gems was a lot more.
Speaker 4: It's erratic the word I want to.
Speaker 2: Use, like it was just the I don't think the pacing.
Speaker 1: It looked like it, but the pacing went as intense as Uncut Gems to me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it wasn't as intense. Yeah yeah, yeah, it wasn't. It wasn't as intense, So I didn't. I didn't get the parises at first, but I could kind of see.
Speaker 1: It, but nah, it was more smashing again, it was smashing machine.
Speaker 3: To me.
Speaker 1: It's like it was a slightly more interesting This was a slightly more interesting Smashing Massie. Damn. Like that's how and I think that's why I like it. Yeah, I think I like it because I wanted.
Speaker 5: I almost was there with Smashing Machine, but it just wasn't quite enough story for me, well to to care.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was one of the brothers that did that movie uncut Jim. So I don't know if this is just how they this is just their director's style, like and they just move forward with it, because to me, that's the only real comparison like between those films. But it is getting to that point I guess for me thinking moving forward, like, is this just how they just shoot movies and we're always gonna get characters like this because then that could get.
Speaker 2: Redundant after a while. But I do like the look of this movie though, for this particular movie, I do like the look of it.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 5: He does it well, he did h I don't know if y'all saw a good time. I know Mike's seen it, but he did good time as well. The Josh Safty, I think it's his name, and I think he's really good at that fast pace directing or whatever.
Speaker 1: So yeah, if you.
Speaker 4: Like I said, I just didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 4: I noticed it was fast paced, but not in an uncut jail's way.
Speaker 3: I didn't get fast paced from this. I'm that's not a little confused with what y'all were saying. I didn't get fast paced at all. I got slow shot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the shots that they were doing, it was really quick.
Speaker 4: It was really this thing and this thing, and it.
Speaker 2: Cuts I think you're talking about. Yeah, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: That that worked for Good Time because Good Time was supposed to be very uncomfortable and it were uncut gems because it was supposed to be very chaotic and whatever.
Speaker 1: It didn't work for this because it was just like, motherfucker you.
Speaker 3: Just playing ping pong and even though even when like some shit would pop off, it's like this ship didn't last long enough for me to care about the shots being kind of erradic.
Speaker 1: So yeah, So we joined Marty as he's trying to get to the British Open table tennis tournament. He's having a conversation with his manager or co owner of his business to make the ping pong balls, and they're trying to pitch the dad on buying the ping pong balls, Like, do you guys buy into Marty's hustle?
Speaker 2: Like is he convincing to you? Does he come off as a fraud?
Speaker 1: What do you think as he's trying to do this and get the ping pong balls orange versus what?
Speaker 5: This is probably one of the parts of the story I just didn't really care about as much the whole ping pong ball and and what's crazy is that this is the one that the thing that they promoted a lot, but I just didn't feel like it was that that relevant to the overall story that they were trying to tell.
Speaker 6: So that's why I felt like that was gonna be more important later on than it actually was, because it never did anything.
Speaker 1: I thought that was gonna be the twenty Like then I thought he was gonna get famous from the ping pong balls, and we just never got any resolution to that.
Speaker 3: So did y'all think this is a sports movie? Would y'all considered a sports movie? Because that's what it's titled as a sports comedy drama, Like it's a weird like they putting a lot of genres into to kind of explain it. Because I because I think mostly we all agree, I came into thinking that this is going to be a sports movie, like a dramatic sports movie, and like you mentioned Ken, it's really just booked in with what he's been trying to do. Everything else in the middle it is just him dealing with life, which to me, I guess it just I guess if you go into a thinking like it's gonna be one thing and it just takes another direction, you can be disappointed. Because yeah, I agree, like with that scene, the way he was breathing life into his friend and then like how his friend was like getting more confident based off of like just believing in Marty and then trying to get this thing off.
Speaker 2: I'm like, Okay, we're about to get.
Speaker 3: Into a really good sports movie, like make a dramatic ass version of table tennis, however that can be. But we spent a huge chunk of this movie not even dealing with half of that, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, personally, and I think those were some of the better parts of the movies. When he was playing ping pong like that actually made it more interesting seeing them play, Like when they did the little We'll get to it, but when him and the dude were like just showing off their skills because dude, it obviously already lost and they were just doing these different things when they were playing ping that shit was interesting. It was interesting when he was playing the guy from Japan to me, Mike, but they should have had more of that in this movie, Like we didn't really need all the extra stuff with it, what say you money? No, I didn't find any of ping pong, and.
Speaker 2: None of the ping pong playing was interesting at all.
Speaker 3: Like all I got was this is CGI. That's all I got. This is a CGI ping pong battle.
Speaker 1: You definitely want him playing because they always assume them out when he was playing. But I find people like when people are good at niche sports like pool and ping pong or darts or some shit that's interesting to me to watch, but I don't want to see a movie about it. I might want to watch like a ten minute.
Speaker 3: Match into all my life, but I don't want to hear about this dude trying to play ping pong.
Speaker 1: And the whole time I don't.
Speaker 3: I haven't really watched a lot of Timothy Charlamagne outside of Dune, but I just kept getting Shilah buff vibes for some for some reason, I can't tell if it was.
Speaker 1: The accent or what it was.
Speaker 3: But I was just like, man, if Shilah Buff hadn't fucked his.
Speaker 1: Career up, this could this could be him.
Speaker 3: But at no point was I getting like, oh my god, this is enthralling.
Speaker 2: I hope he.
Speaker 3: Saves the dog, Like, at no point was I getting any of that, like I hope he wins this ping pong match against this guy at the bar.
Speaker 2: It was just like, you wouldn't rooting for me at any point in time.
Speaker 3: No, No, I found him to be annoying, just like I found the uncut Gems Fool to be super annoying. He was that kind of where it's like I don't care if you die, damn.
Speaker 2: So this was like a chore for you to get through Mike, because if.
Speaker 8: You would, if you don't care about their think you could get If you don't care about him, this movie is because to me I was I was talking to Jaylen about it.
Speaker 2: I was like, to me, this movie is like.
Speaker 3: An extreme movie as far as fandom, where if you are a Timothy Charla May.
Speaker 2: Fan, you love this movie.
Speaker 3: If you don't know much about Timothy Shaper could give a fuck about him, This movie is like not even gonna crack your top ten of the year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say.
Speaker 6: I also think it definitely probably put a lot of people on to Timothy Challa, may you know, And I think they're gonna walk away with like, oh my God.
Speaker 1: Like he's he's next, he got the juice. And that's what I think is happening.
Speaker 6: I think to your point, for people that are fans, it's proof of concept for them. It's like I told y'all, I told y'all he could he could act, so he was and uh, you.
Speaker 3: Would say this is a movie, Like if people didn't know who he was, this is the movie you will present them with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or the other one there movie I present them with, it's the one. It's this one of the one way you played Bob Dylan. Because they say that both Rose wrote no, I just heard both of the roles.
Speaker 3: Something you ain't got Cleve seen it.
Speaker 1: He ship. But they're saying they're saying that both of these are similar roles though like that they're saying essentially it's the same character that he played in the Bob Dylan movie. HM, so I would assosed So these are the two breakout performances from him, but your kids point. I heard his name before I seen him in Doomed, I wouldn't like, oh God, let me. But after I watched this movie, though, I was like, Okay, I see I see what they're saying.
Speaker 2: That was that was my.
Speaker 3: Thing with this is like this was to be like he's supposed to this is going to showcase him as an a lister and all that, and like supposed to kind of showcase evidence to why people talk about him so much. And I think he did carry the movie. And I don't think he's a bad actor, but to me, he's I don't think he doesn't look he didn't. This movie doesn't say like oh screams like oh a lister. This is just not a good It's just a good film. To me, it's not Denzil in Training Day.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But they're talking about it like this is his Tom Hanks castaway moment, Will Smith I am Legend moment where it's like this is putting you over the top where you could carry a movie.
Speaker 2: And to me, it's just like that's a half truth.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: I think for us it may not be the case, but I think for Hollywood and everyone else it is indeed the case.
Speaker 1: Really he might be the guy moving forward.
Speaker 2: I agree with Nick, like it's a half truth in the sense of he.
Speaker 1: He did a really really good job in this movie. I don't want to take anything away from that. But it didn't make him must see for me, like I don't have to see his next movie. I always like that though. No, like if Denzel put a movie out, I'm gonna watch it. If Leo, if Leo put a movie out, I'm gonna watch it. Like they were trying to say to Nick's point that he's on that list now, like if Timothy Shallow may put a movie out, you need to watch it. I don't think that's the case. Like we watched.
Speaker 3: He's on their list. Yes, they should have given him a better subject matter. Yeah, but I guess maybe they're looking at it like this. If this motherfucker was able to do a movie about fucking ping pong and make it entertaining for people like Rod or or I guess Nick liked it too, then that's enough.
Speaker 1: Maybe because I can't think of a single.
Speaker 3: Actor that could do a movie about ping pong righter like the Fascinating, like the Ping Pong Ball had to have a bomb.
Speaker 1: Or something in it for me to be like, oh, getting in tense.
Speaker 2: But it's just a fucking ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, And that's why I keep comparing it to The Smashing Machine. I could care two fucks about MMA, but the Rock made it kind of interesting. The way it was shot made it kind of interesting, and I think these movies are similar in that sense. Moving to when he gets to the British Open. He gets there, he wins a match. He talks to the head of Ping Pong in the World or whatever it may be, and says his living conditions are unbearable. He should be staying at the rich, just like they staying at the rich. Was this part of the movie convincing to you, as far as him being able to be a slick talker, him being able to sell himself, him getting what he wants in this character? What you say think, Nick?
Speaker 2: I love his.
Speaker 3: Well, I love his confidence in himself because he he respects himself to a certain level where it's like, I'm the best, so I need to be treated like the best, and I can't really get you can't really get mad at that.
Speaker 2: Again, it's it's interesting.
Speaker 3: How he if I think he tried to portray like he's putting this whole uh sport on his back, like yeah, or like I think he because I think he was still the number one ranked person in America at that time, so he feels like I'm the face of this, so I should be treated like that, And like how he was trying to talk his way into it.
Speaker 2: I thought it was I thought it was pretty interesting.
Speaker 3: But I feel like his his confidence as we move forward past this, it it.
Speaker 2: Never changed based off circumstance.
Speaker 3: It was always the same, and I thought that was one of the most unique things about his character.
Speaker 5: Oh, I disagree a little bit with that last point, because I feel like we saw his personality being broken down a little about little, his ego getting taken away a little by little, like by different by different people people, like just as the movie progressed until until the absolute end where you know. So, I did like how we kind of gradually saw different situations chipping at his ego because it's like he started as such a high point about himself and then we see as as as the movie continues, he's not just thinking about himself anymore. But but I agree with you as far as the you know, I did like seeing it because I'm not that type of person, So I like seeing things like that, like like people that can be that way just just demanding, like pretty much privilege or whatever, like this is mind for the taking, I'm that next dude or whatever. And I just I like seeing it. I like seeing his confidence be so high. But but yeah, and I like seeing people challenge that confidence too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because he made it seem like, if you respect the sport, you should respect me.
Speaker 1: Because people respect the door that was the issue, but the sport. The people that he was talking to, who was supposed to being the directors of the tournament or whatever, like, they took it very seriously, which is why I think he was able to convince them. However, it took a little bit away from me in the sense of He's saying these things and all the pieces are lined up in the correct place, and I'm gonna take table to this the next level in America, and I'm sitting here thinking, I'm like, well, that never happened. So that kind of gives away the movie, like you never did the thing that you said you was gonna do and be number one and have people talking about table tennis because people can still give two fucks about Ping Pong. So I think it was good showing the confidence of the character, but I also think it took away in the sense of me as just a viewer of the movie, thinking, well, I know how this is gonna end there cause like this this stuff that you're saying, you being the number one player and people starting to give a fuck about you and all of this stuff like it never happened.
Speaker 6: So you know, when I when I heard him say that, the question is when that was?
Speaker 1: When did all that happen? I got on my phone, kid, I was like, well, let me, let me google this, and it never happened.
Speaker 6: So I'm like, okay, because it's like it's such a jump to him, like selling himself, and I don't know if I needed to see it, but I'm like, okay, when did all that happen? I said, Okay, I guess we're just gonna go with it, you know, because I.
Speaker 2: Had never heard of I'm grueci you, what's you didn't happen? Oh? I just I couldn't.
Speaker 3: I couldn't give a fuck less about the confidence of a little white boy like.
Speaker 1: I see that every day when I go to fucking Koger, Like I don't.
Speaker 3: That doesn't impress me, and that doesn't make me excited to watch a film. Oh man, this little white boy is so confident. Most little white boys are confident.
Speaker 1: Too. What reason would he have to not be confident?
Speaker 2: You know, Mike, That's why I feel like this this movie got a lot of praise.
Speaker 3: It's because like white boys love these type of movies and these type of That's why people I feel like, people like Tony start a lot because he could go into a room.
Speaker 2: He ain't got no powers, but he felt like.
Speaker 3: He had a listen and talking ship to captain and all the door and it's like this is.
Speaker 2: When Marty was doing all movie long talking ship.
Speaker 1: And he really wasn't about ship.
Speaker 3: And he the most frail motherfucker in every room, that's the thing. And they laughing black friend with sorry as hell.
Speaker 1: He's a fucking taxi.
Speaker 3: Driver, got hair, kids, got kids at the house.
Speaker 1: And he can't.
Speaker 2: Shop.
Speaker 1: He disappeared for three days. Speaking of talking ship, he meets the faded Starr k Stone and she walks through the hotel lobby daylight eyes. How believable was it that this phone conversation could have happened, bro, it was it was the apple.
Speaker 2: Walk me through this phone conversation. It's that easy to get me. He in the nineteen fifties, I was taking the same thing.
Speaker 8: I swear to god. I was like, this all you had to do in the bowl, boy, I saw some the lose thing.
Speaker 9: I I ain't got to put it in the bro.
Speaker 4: He ship was up though, he told her like, look, check the check. The paper paid such and such, and she checked us. She's just like, oh, okay, this is supposed to impress me.
Speaker 5: And I did like this dynamic too, because I mean she obviously it would have taken a lot to impress her because she was obviously dating someone that was a higher stature than he was.
Speaker 4: Uh So, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I liked it. Impressed though, That was the thing. I don't think at any point in the movie she was impressed by him. He was just a release first.
Speaker 5: She was intrigue press impressed. No, but she was intrigued. She was intrigue, which is why she showed up to the game, to the match.
Speaker 1: M hmmm mm hmm.
Speaker 4: Has she any any smash too? So she wasn't trugued.
Speaker 1: That doesn't feel like that would have been hard because she didn't even like.
Speaker 2: To do she was with Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 6: We didn't know that at the time, but yeah we found out. Did y'all know that was? That was gwyn and Paltrow. What happened to her was.
Speaker 2: Actually can.
Speaker 1: I was like, who is this woman? Did she get older?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, can women age bro just like we did.
Speaker 5: I think, like a lot of these women, it's not she looked good because because a lot of these women.
Speaker 4: Like her her time.
Speaker 5: Are getting a lot of like like work done, and I don't feel like she's getting as much work done as these other actors.
Speaker 1: That's what I thought happened, because my.
Speaker 2: Thing with her was just like I just didn't believe that he could bag her. You know what I'm saying, Like, really, no, I think she had low self esteem. Yeah it was.
Speaker 1: It was she was dealing with to not being in Hollywood anymore, you could tell, and it made her feel better about herself messing with Marty. That's that's how I wrote it off, because you're right, he couldn't have bagged her.
Speaker 2: I don't believe but jo himself esteem that low.
Speaker 3: You fucking table tennis niggas.
Speaker 2: But you say right.
Speaker 4: Y'all means don't remember Titanic.
Speaker 1: If Pauldrow was.
Speaker 3: No he talking about the bute age though, right, Like she was young and she ain't no.
Speaker 2: Grinnod Paltrow is older class. Yeah, she's used to a certain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he was young.
Speaker 3: He was like way younger than her. That's why she was, you know, interested in that for a minute. He's this young kid that wants to fuck. Of course, yeah, I still about it.
Speaker 10: Got a grow back, I'm sorry real quick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your black swuffing me too. I think that she was not impressed. Intrigued was the right word, like you said, Rod, just by how young that he was and how confident that he was in himself. She was looking to see where he got that confidence from. That's why she went to the match. In my opinion, none of that ship seemed believable to me.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, but but it's no different than than how Stella got a grow back. It's the same concept of older women wanting to feel desired by younger men.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, but but Stella went to Jamaica looking for something, you know what I'm saying, Like.
Speaker 2: She and of course she just stumbled on some dick.
Speaker 3: But like good aboucho who was like again already rich or like had had class.
Speaker 2: And she's just getting a random phone call from some friend last nigga.
Speaker 3: Like Nick, she was looking for it too, because exactly, women don't just travel around with lingerie in their bag like that. She showed up with with a fucking outfit on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was with a husband ahead for him.
Speaker 3: She ain't happen for him for him, No, No, that's that's some new new all right.
Speaker 1: So we get to the tournament. We see him play. Uh, he plays the first round, kills the guy, second round, beats his mentor. The third round though, he's playing against the Japanese player who has a different paddle, and he beats him. He whooped his ass. Actually, was this a turning point in the movie for you? For you guys, did y'all look at him like, oh, he he just talking shit? He ain't even really as good as you say he is. What did y'all think he was gonna win this match?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: What did you get from the first latch?
Speaker 2: I knew he was gonna lose as soon as he looked at that paddle. He ain't know what he was looking at. I think I can't tell him was the paddle of the man. He didn't know what he was looking at it.
Speaker 3: He was like this, this is gonna be an interesting day for me. But yeah, him getting his ass what was kind of like, oh, you're just good in America, You're not good, and like it's kind of like baseball, white boys is good until they in the grade, you know.
Speaker 5: I mean, he I don't I knew he thought he thought he was gonna lose before that, You remember, y'all, remember like he was just like, yo, who are Why did these motherfuckers? Ain't think I could even play in this tournament? Like like, so when he saw that they were gonna be in a tournament, he's like, oh, ship, I wasn't expecting that. So he started he started getting sweat. He started sweating a little bit before this match even started. So that's why they put so much emphasis on him. Looking at that guy throughout the tournament, raising up the ranks.
Speaker 1: Damn, they all look like rob.
Speaker 2: It wasn't China. He made it a b so many.
Speaker 11: Times I started to say Asian, I was so confident.
Speaker 12: Right, the ping pong was made in China.
Speaker 13: The worn he was playing, were you more interested?
Speaker 1: When he lost some match.
Speaker 14: Mike, No, I wasn't because you know, honestly, when I was watching this, at no point did they really give me the impression that he was the ship.
Speaker 3: I just felt like, I feel like, if if you can keep that little ball on the table, then you're just you know, you're a you're.
Speaker 1: A ping pong player.
Speaker 3: That's like a basic thing for ping pong when you keep that little ball on the table.
Speaker 2: When he got his ass by the Asian dude.
Speaker 3: I was expecting that from the second at age showed up because he was holding the paddle all weird like this. He was like holding it from the inside. He's gonnahoop your ass, and he did.
Speaker 6: That's when when I said, when he was talking all that ship, I was like, when did that happen? That's what I was referring to, is like, I don't know if I felt like I needed to see him be a badass.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So when he got up there, I'm just like, bro, yeah, as you gotta say, you you really met your match. And then I found out this one for you lost to somebody that can't even hear.
Speaker 1: On top of that, he was yeah, they said, he just see the ball.
Speaker 2: Don't play this motherfucker.
Speaker 3: If all he can do is see, he's gonna see better than you. You saw that like your other senses.
Speaker 2: And he was he was the daredevil people. They were talking to him later though, y'all he had.
Speaker 1: The earthing and.
Speaker 2: He had the ear PC. Yeah, so he could hear.
Speaker 4: I thought that was a translator. I thought that was a translator.
Speaker 1: They didn't have translators like that. They said he was deaf.
Speaker 2: They did, so he was death. This is why I was. I do it to my I just got air ponds.
Speaker 1: He had the iPhone headphones with the string on there, and I was like, I thought you.
Speaker 4: Didn't hear.
Speaker 2: The whole time.
Speaker 4: They got that.
Speaker 1: Agent crazy because they definitely said he couldn't hear, like he said, but they were talking to him at the end.
Speaker 2: That's why he didn't say nothing. He just he never really.
Speaker 9: Talking.
Speaker 2: He just walked through.
Speaker 1: He was just looking the whole movie.
Speaker 3: He ain't know he won until he got back home. For me, how did I miss this? I did not catch that he was deaf.
Speaker 4: He was lord.
Speaker 1: They stayed in the little Montague when he went back home. But he was deaf. Damn. That's funny, all right. So he loses to the agent guy. I feel like they did a disservice of showing how much of a badass that he was in ping pong, Like y'all said, when they went the little ping pong bar hut whatever whatever they was playing it, like, they should have shown him being better there when they was playing at the little ping pong spots.
Speaker 4: Uh they did.
Speaker 1: I mean, he he lost, didn't, He didn't.
Speaker 4: Didn't what they hustled, what they were hustling.
Speaker 1: Not at the I ain't got there yet, but I'm talking about even before he left, when he was playing ping pong with your man's Tyler, Tyler the cre at the training facility. It didn't even look like he was that cold then, Like Tyler was beating him. It seemed like and he was somebody couldn't keep track of the ball. So they did do him a disservice. So how much of a bad as he was? And then he had that loss.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: But after that loss, he comes back, he has the lunch meeting with Kevin O'Leary and he offers him to come play ping pong exhibition event, pay you a thousand bucks.
Speaker 2: He's talking and he talking to him like.
Speaker 1: I'm Jordan's and you this, this is I would never do this, but I'll give you my response of whatever it may be. He was framing it like he would be doing him a favor to do this. Was that a big mistake in the sense of what he was trying to do.
Speaker 4: You're talking about Gwenna Pacho's husband.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which which to know, the same dude that was in the when he came out walking on Towe when she was talking on the phone.
Speaker 4: Was yeah, that's him.
Speaker 1: That was Yeah, he didn't look like him in the hotel room. But yeah, Gwyneth Paul Joe's husband, when she had the conversation with him and they have lunch and he wants to offer him to go to the ping Pome exhibition thing and he turns it down. What do you think about that? I thought he was wanting to fall. He did.
Speaker 3: He didn't want him to take the fall, even I got while he said no, that made sense. Why would he want he has an ego, why would he want to go in there purposely take a fall.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, He didn't want to take a fall, He just didn't want to play him before the tournament. He was willing to do it after but this was a week before the tournament.
Speaker 3: I thought I thought, I thought it was insinuated that he would take the fall in the exhibition match, because he was like, he's because he's he finally understood how big the game can be since the Asian guy won, and he was like, I could sell my product overseas using this as a vehicle to showcase my product and him being the face of that.
Speaker 2: I can't have him lose to you, because then I will say that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think when Timothy Challamage's character was cool with that, he just didn't want it to be. Before they played in the tournament, he was.
Speaker 3: He was recruited a rematch, but he said making a real game, like, don't make me take the fall for that. And then that's when the dude was like, what other options do you have?
Speaker 6: Mm hmm, Jess, so you could sell some pins. I just wanted to lose his match. It was stupid, you know, but I get it at this point, you know, even though he had just lost to this guy, he still thinks he's the top dog, and for all intents and purposes, I guess in America he is, you know, so yeah, why would he want to go lose a matchup just to sell some pins.
Speaker 1: Ain't doing that ship hmm yeah, especially if you're trying to build yourself up. That is make any sense?
Speaker 4: Well game for him?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, okay about his ego.
Speaker 4: Both, I think yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it makes sense that he wanted after the tournament if he's going to take the loss, because he wants people to know that I did beat him when we were playing for real, so we can do this exhibition thing after the tournament. And then that's where they had to snag at. What did you guys think of? So I didn't really talk about this in the beginning, but he robbed the shoe store for his bunny to get to the British Open. He robbed Lloyd I think his name was, and pulled the gut on him. But when he gets back, his uncle has a police there. They go through this whole thing. This ain't to do anything for you guys, I.
Speaker 3: Want I personally wanted more scenes with him and his family, specifically with fran Dresser and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: So I thought that's.
Speaker 3: Where we were going to get when we got to like these scenes, because I thought what his uncle was trying to do is me basically say like he basically says like yeah, like bro, like you're really you're really great at being a salesman and I want to pass this Basically this store down to you know, only for yourself, but you can take care of your moms because she needs help too.
Speaker 2: I can't keep paying the bills.
Speaker 3: And he was just so focused on trying to be great at something else that I like that conflict between like your own desires versus you know, family obligations. But it's just like we just kept on touching gold with that a lot. And this scene was like, it was an interesting scene because to see like the depths, his uncle was willing to go like either you do this or you go to jail, you know what I'm saying. So I liked that scene about it, but we just didn't get too much of it from In my opinion, I agree with you. I think it spoke to this.
Speaker 1: Nailed at Home for me is like how much he believed in himself. We've seen it all through these other movies and the conversations that he had with the different people, but this really spoke to like this is like the mixtape rapper when someone tell you they are rapper back in the day, like they got mixtapes or whatever. They really believe they gonna make it, and you looking at it like ra everybody raps. They looking at him like, well, you're playing fucking ping pong, dude, Like this can't be a career. This is impossible. Like you have real skill sets, real talents, real things that you can do. And to your point, Nick, I'm gonna go to these lymphs to show you that that right there, ain't it like you gotta give ping pong up. But he believed in it so strongly. This kind of nailed at home for me.
Speaker 6: What you think, but it was it was I think, n It makes a good point because when they showed us that they finally believed in them, I'm like, when did that happen? Because they have been dismissing him the whole time, But did they That's what they said. That's one of the one of his cousins somebody said. It was like, yeah, we really believe in you, Marty.
Speaker 2: Like man, everybody believed in them.
Speaker 1: Everybody believed in them. When what's that?
Speaker 2: I missed it?
Speaker 1: People?
Speaker 2: People in my viewing, Marty was.
Speaker 1: Looked at us like cam effect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was, but he made him.
Speaker 3: But everybody knew Marty had talents as far as like more so interpersonal communication, like he know how to.
Speaker 2: Talk his way into a room.
Speaker 3: You know, clearly in the movie he knew how to talk his way and again you know in women's draws and shit like that. So he has a talent of being able to be a people person and he seems smart enough to like actually do the job well. But it's just that he wanted to use those those talents for something else or go into a different direction. That's why I felt like it was it was easy for people to buy into him. But I think to Ken and Mike's point, but we never really saw a display as far as the other side of why he was so enthusiastic about his table tennis, Like we never really seen him dominate for a long period of time to justify his confidence.
Speaker 2: And anything else.
Speaker 3: If he was confident just being shoe salesman, it's understandable because we could probably go off of that based off of everybody else's belief. But that's the reason. That's the thing that kind of just threw the story off a little bit. I guess from I can understand what other people like not really buying into it.
Speaker 1: You just didn't see him dominate enough on the ping pong tap. Most we see them lose most of the movies. Didn't lose.
Speaker 2: It ain't really well.
Speaker 1: He won that first match, he blew the dude, the first dude out, and then and we can get into this. He comes back, he has that conversation and now he needs he well, I want to talk about this first, so he has to go to a hotel. I was gonna say, yes, get to the scene.
Speaker 2: No, I'm talking about with his friend, his mentor that you talked about.
Speaker 1: I'll go ahead, and.
Speaker 2: Bro, I tried to block it out of my mind. Know why, why why did we have.
Speaker 1: To experience that?
Speaker 15: They were remember, but you don't see what his story about him being a fucking World War two capture and they were he was doing bombs and a bee flew on him and he.
Speaker 2: Followed the beat to the hive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and to all.
Speaker 2: The honey off and put it on him.
Speaker 3: To be they it off and get nourishment. Yeah, b I meant to look it up and see if that was real, but I am it's Auschwitz. I'm not putting anything past what they did.
Speaker 1: In that camp.
Speaker 4: But that was some kind of joke.
Speaker 1: Didn't hit me. I don't know if it was a joke.
Speaker 2: This is more like a fun fact about history. And I was like, bro, why do we need to know this? That was so they was getting it.
Speaker 1: They just weren't. They were.
Speaker 2: He was, he was happy. He stood there like Jesus.
Speaker 4: Oh my child.
Speaker 3: Me.
Speaker 1: But that whole thing plays out and I forgot, well where was I at?
Speaker 7: He was?
Speaker 1: But when his uncle was like, uh, got the policeman over his place, and got the policeman over his place. So they go through that, he jumps out. He goes on the run. He learns that the girl that he slept with in the first scene is pregnant. Did y'all think this was Marty's baby? Like it was too obvious, right they I thought.
Speaker 6: They showed the sperm in the beginning of the movie. They did, but we don't know that was his If that was him, that was just I'm saying that could have been Marty's birth.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, you know what.
Speaker 2: I mean, Like, we don't know who it's a sperm, We don't know that that was him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they had sets. It seemed like it was pretty clear that. Yeah, why would they put it there? Right? I guess Roy, you.
Speaker 2: Think that was his baby?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, for sure, I uh yeah, because the whole time I was like, man, that's messed up because because he was still with the.
Speaker 5: Other guy her like her husband or I'm like, yeah it was married.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so yeah, But I thought that Marty was funny. He's like, look, that ain't mine. It was on some minutes of society looked Jimmy him extra tight.
Speaker 2: He got it worse. He was like, you let him busting YouTube. He had to kill her answer. He was like, does he come in you? Jesus, that's my husband.
Speaker 1: Piece of ship. Marty didn't give too about anybody on the planet Earth other than him, he like, except that.
Speaker 4: He's like, I got things to do.
Speaker 5: I don't know what what you're gonna do about this situation, but I'm destined for greatness.
Speaker 1: I like.
Speaker 2: At least he didn't lead her on though. At least he was like he told her.
Speaker 1: He was like, are you gonna like take the child to an adoption agency and do this? And she was like no. He was like no, oh, well bye. I like I like.
Speaker 16: It because I'm telling you the only way this is gonna work and telling me you can't do that, so there's nothing else you need to talk about.
Speaker 1: I thought that was pretty funny.
Speaker 2: Those are the funniest parts of the movie, bro where he.
Speaker 3: Was kidd he was cutting her down. Everything was like, listen, I don't know if you know this. I got purpose, you don't.
Speaker 1: What do you do every day? And she brought her ass back too. She did. She loved us as Mark. But he goes to check into that hotel and they get prepared to go scam some people so he could make some money to go to Tokyo and play in the new tournament that's coming up. So he gets the hotel room for four dollars a night. The dude explicitly tells him do not take a bath. He takes a bath, and the bath falls through the floor onto the dog and the man, what'd you guys think about this? Same? I was just like, don't let that dog be hurt.
Speaker 2: I was saying the same thing, but he was like he was hurt.
Speaker 1: To us, like, oh man, it ain't fuck that dog up, did it.
Speaker 3: But that that tub landing on that dude's arm, I was like, Wow, that's that's a lot.
Speaker 1: That was well, that was an old ship moment for this movie. I did. I did say old show shit because I didn't expect that to happen. This movie did good, and the you weren't really expecting to happen. They slow the pace down and they speeded right back up. Wait you think they did? You don't.
Speaker 2: You didn't expect that to happen.
Speaker 1: I ain't think the tube was going to fall through the floor.
Speaker 2: That's a man's percent what I thought, not laying on the guy's.
Speaker 3: But I absolutely knew that that was going to happen the second he came in there. The guy made a point to say, don't take a bath.
Speaker 2: He said a shower on it. I thought this was a loophole.
Speaker 1: I thought.
Speaker 2: I thought he said don't take a shower. That's why he was taking a bath. Because if that's the.
Speaker 3: Case, why even include that throwaway dialogue like he specifically said, like don't use the bathtub or don't take a shower, whatever it was. Marty immediately does it. I was like, Oh, it's gonna fall through the floor. I didn't expect it to land on that dude's arm with the dog in the bathtub.
Speaker 4: Yeah, part that's the part that I didn't expect.
Speaker 1: I knew it, like Mike.
Speaker 5: Like Mike said, I knew it was in the fall to the floor, but I just didn't expect for it to be like that dramatic.
Speaker 1: So that was supposed to be a chaotic scene. From there we get the whole thing with Marty taking the dog. He gets some money, learns that he has a fifteen hundred dollar fine that's to pay so he can be qualified for the event. So they go hustle at a pool hall bowling alley. Was this intriguing at all? When he hustles his dude the bowling that, oh hustles the bowling?
Speaker 4: Now, it was okay. I mean it was kind of to be expected.
Speaker 5: You knew exactly what they were doing, uh, and knew how it's gonna kind of play out.
Speaker 4: We've seen this before.
Speaker 5: But I guess, like them actually capturing them, then they catch them, and then they started messing, messing the vehicle and.
Speaker 4: All that type of stuff.
Speaker 10: I don't think I expected them to actually catch him.
Speaker 4: Like circle back around and catch him later. I't expect that to me.
Speaker 2: This is the part of the film where we're like, all right, we.
Speaker 3: Could chop out twenty thirty minutes of like like we didn't like again, like you mentioned Rod, like we know of a hustle, they could just have just done the setup and then showed them driving away with the money and then show the guys following them to try to get it back.
Speaker 2: Like this whole middle part because like again, we don't really.
Speaker 3: Since we know it's a hustle, we don't really even give much like respect to Marty uh winning or doing any of.
Speaker 2: That, like as a ping pong player.
Speaker 3: Like again, the movie doesn't really do a good job of showcasing like Marty's really talented until literally all the way at the end. And but we have a two and a half hour movie, so the ending is like the last twenty minutes if that. So that's why I'm like, bro, let's let's just get to the ships, Like why we wasting time? Why why am I seeing a lot of these scenes with a girl that he don't like with a hustle.
Speaker 1: That was.
Speaker 3: Or even or even we saw mond tips of him in the Harlem Globe Trotter ship.
Speaker 6: Like which I felt him on that ship. That ship, Bro, he did play ping pong with a seal.
Speaker 3: I think that part was needed to show that he had kind of turned himself into a joke.
Speaker 1: But he was lying.
Speaker 2: He was like lying to himself to make it seem like, oh no, I mean they're like the.
Speaker 6: Biggest eight thousand people, the greatest he said, the greatest athletes in the world.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So he he was trying to lie and pretend that he wasn't now a fucking joke, which he was a joke. My thing is like we can get glimpses of that. We got like, yeah, it was the ten minutes of like of like, okay, we get the point now, you know what I'm saying, like, and he was so adamant not to do it.
Speaker 1: I think they tried to. They would overhaul and hamber it at home because he was telling them. When the Gay first presented the Globe, try to ship to him, he was like, man, are you fucking serious? I'm to be like Tiger Woods of the next big thing, Like I'm not doing globe try to events, and then he has to do it. So mm hmm.
Speaker 6: You know, I think with with this thing, I think my first observation is that Dann, we're in the fifties and they only used the N word once, So I don't know why somebody else can't do that, but.
Speaker 1: I was from the same They wouldn't have gave two fus about that black dude getting home.
Speaker 2: They extra carry that part was weird.
Speaker 1: That part was weird.
Speaker 3: Man, just give him five dollars Like, I was like, wait a minute, what this is supposed to be the fifties and.
Speaker 1: Y'all are white, wouldn't and they don't call the New York like No, they only called him a nigga because he stole money from him. That that was this kid.
Speaker 2: I was like, you don't use it, do me and ship like I got.
Speaker 1: I can't heard that one. God, So they go through that whole thing. They hold on real quick. How do y'all think Tyler did.
Speaker 2: Did a good job.
Speaker 1: They did a good job.
Speaker 2: He was I mean, it wasn't much acting. Again, it felt like Kevin Garnett. Yeah, he was him. I would expect to be there on every day basis.
Speaker 4: I feel like he was more than Kevin though.
Speaker 1: You think so.
Speaker 4: I think you put I think you put on a better performance than Kevin Garnett. I've always thought Charlie should be.
Speaker 1: Sorry back again. Yeah, we're you about to rock. Oh damn.
Speaker 2: Mine.
Speaker 1: They pull over to get some gas after they hustle the people from the barber shop.
Speaker 2: This is a significant plot point in the sense of the dog.
Speaker 1: People. They feel like they got hustled. They left it said that dog that car like that at all. I didn't need that better be fucking CVR. Bro because the way that dog fell man over and he was chasing after them to that was that was kind of said, Yeah, he was running. I thought he was running out of the car the car.
Speaker 2: I thought they.
Speaker 1: I thought he was running towards the car. As they were speaking out.
Speaker 3: The dog fell out. They went this way and the dog ran this way. Oh, I think because the way the dog was running were the guys that were chasing him.
Speaker 2: That's the same direction. So that's why that dog was gone.
Speaker 1: Dog was running, well, he knew what was up. Nigga was like, Hey, I'm a black ass dog to get out of here. What's gonna happen? Might take it out on me.
Speaker 6: But when all that ship blew up and exploded it, bro, I was like, oh shit, I'm with Mike. I thought the doll was chasing after the car or no, I was a spike I thought the doll was chasing after the car, and that I thought the dog blew up in the explosion, and then when I saw him running, I thought he was he got away. That's why they showed that scene. Yeah, it wasn't that, but it.
Speaker 1: Looked almost like there was a subliminal message there as far as Marty leaving a path of destruction wherever he goes.
Speaker 2: My mom just called me.
Speaker 1: My mom literally just called me, like, my mom literally just called me too much. Did y'all get that from that? When they seen all the destruction in the background, that was like an example of Marty and like how destructive he is to people.
Speaker 4: I didn't get that as subliminal, but yeah, me neither.
Speaker 1: That's a good point out though. Yeah, so till then he takes all the money my man have been missing for three days. He'd been to the home his wife and he don't get no money to the taxi driver with Tyler to create and he missed up his taxi.
Speaker 2: But crazy Marty gets everything that he needed and leaves him out of the dusk.
Speaker 1: Is he a shitty friend for that? Because man, when he was expecting Marty was like, oh, I thought you knew this was for me, Marty.
Speaker 2: It's kind of how he hit him up.
Speaker 1: Tyler should have whooped his ass.
Speaker 6: Bro Well, Tyler gave it to him because he was He was like, nah, half half of this is mine, but you know, he needed fifteen hundred dollars, and like a lot of other people, he that was his friend. So I guess he did believe in him, so he chose to give it to him. So I came not Marty for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he didn't feel bad about it. I guess that that's why I'm knocking him.
Speaker 3: He didn't really seem like he felt bad about the fact that Tyler's only means of you know, money was fucked up.
Speaker 2: He was just like, all right, well, I gotta go play ping pong nigger, so good luck.
Speaker 4: I don't know that harshly. I think he just again, I think he was just so confident in himself that he'll get it back.
Speaker 2: I think confidence where I see like typical white boy arrogance.
Speaker 3: I think the yeah, I get you, it's both. But I think the issue with him was his arrogance. His arrogance is what made him not give two fucks about Tyler and his you know, his taxi getting sucked up in the fact that he can't beat his family. He's like, I gotta get to Japan to do what to play fucking ping pong? Bro, This man is driving a taxi and he's got children and you don't give two fucks. Y'all could have went and pulled another hustle to make sure that Colin got his money. He bring that ship up, You're like, oh, well, sorry, man, I gotta go.
Speaker 1: Marty's a piece of ship man that Yeah, that's give Why did they give him a black friend?
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: That that and you know inclusion, they gave him a d I friend. Brother. Jews and the black people are similar. Maybe yeah back then probably being Jewish that hard. It was a couple of name drops in the movie and the kind of went away, and.
Speaker 3: He had that one story where he was saying like I'm I'm Hitler's nightmare or something like that.
Speaker 1: Reporters. Yeah, all right. So after that he's gathered the money up, his baby mama lies and says her husband hits him, comes with the black guy defended up. That was crazy.
Speaker 2: What did he hit him?
Speaker 1: Hit him with? Heed? Like? For nothing was right the whole time he was right. The bro.
Speaker 2: He got he got cheated on and got punched.
Speaker 1: His wife and baby on him.
Speaker 2: It's like it came home like everything.
Speaker 1: He got cheated on, his girl, got pregnant, left, lied about him hitting her, then came home like everything was cool.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 6: What That's why they That's why they made for each other. Yep, he was sucking the house up and she knew he wasn't gonna do anything. That's why I feel like she went home like he wasn't gonna leave her.
Speaker 1: She knew that. Yeah, y'all.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: It was Marty manipulating the fat dude. Yes, he was getting over one.
Speaker 3: Like the dad said, Marty manipulated every single person in this movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, except for Mike to get to this scene when he gets he gets a spanking with the ping pong pedal to get his trip to What you think about that?
Speaker 4: I was. I didn't think it was really gonna happen. I thought he was just gonna say. I thought he was just messing with him, But.
Speaker 5: Nah, when it actually happened, I was just like WHOA, Like that's all I'm saying, Huh.
Speaker 1: I was embarrassed for him second hand, embarraged. I was like, oh, marty. Damn.
Speaker 15: I thought it was.
Speaker 3: I thought it was just more of like, Bro, you care about ping pong this much? You lest some white man in front of his friends smack you in the ass like.
Speaker 2: Like anybody out here, anybody telling you to bend over and spread your cheeks.
Speaker 3: But it's unless you're a doctor and you're forty five getting the process exam.
Speaker 6: No you don't want to do it. Then you might say.
Speaker 2: The Lord called me today, He called me, Hey, I'm sorry, brom.
Speaker 1: Play with the seals again.
Speaker 2: I said, I ain't going to a rod and be like we going to China.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, because he had just fucked his wife again. They messed that up because they got caught in the damn park and he lost the jewel and he was straight. That's why he ended up there trying to get the damn money back.
Speaker 2: And she was That was a significant part. I did skip over.
Speaker 4: Ken.
Speaker 1: So the wife gives him the necklace she has one she gets won every twenty five. Well she has twenty five of them, she gets won every year for anniversary, very expensive diamond necklace. He has it right there, his grasses around his neck. Then he decides to eat her out in the park and the cops call what y'all think about that?
Speaker 2: I said this to jail.
Speaker 1: I was like I told you.
Speaker 7: I was like, we want them to stop. Now they're gonna come right back to it. I almost walked out, and.
Speaker 2: I thought that Nick I wasn't gonna say nothing, but I did.
Speaker 4: Is this necessary? Officers?
Speaker 13: Jesus?
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 4: I was like, bro.
Speaker 2: On show, Oh my god, my thing was?
Speaker 4: My thing?
Speaker 3: Was like because at first I thought, like when they were kissing under the bridge, like her husband or somebody was gonna come by and that you're gonna get caught like that.
Speaker 2: But the way he got caught, it was just like, bro, you didn't have like what made like you didn't have to do any of that. It was just unnecessary, like he overly wanted to just reward.
Speaker 3: Her forgiving him something that he was like, that's helping him out. It was like you could have gave her a kiss and left and you would have been good.
Speaker 1: Yeah what wait what do you? What do you?
Speaker 2: What do you so he shouldn't No, i'mderstanding, like why did you choose to do it immediately?
Speaker 1: Right then? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right then?
Speaker 4: And there?
Speaker 3: Like why didn't you just because he never thinks about stuff like it just seems like he's very impulsive, you know what I mean, and that that that part didn't really surprise me that much. It was it was definitely stupid, That's what I'm saying. Like it was it was so open, there's no trees. It's just like you're just doing it right, That's.
Speaker 6: What i mean.
Speaker 4: Like like even.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I'm saying, Like it just felt like it was just so dumb, like it was the it was just the reason for him to showcase like he had. He had all these opportunities to to get.
Speaker 2: His moment, but he fucked it all up, Like he's just the fuck up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just kind of the showcase how he lives his life in general. He just does whatever the fuck he wants and then pays for it or make somebody else end up paying for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So from there he goes he gets spanked. Guy says, well, Timothy Sallomy says to Kevin O'Leary's characters like, well, how do I know if I do this that you're going to honor it? And he was like, you don't, You're powerless. And I think that was the definition of him throughout this movie, like you really have no power just to talk a good game? Do I get the same thing? Yep?
Speaker 2: This whole movie is white Man Look Blue.
Speaker 1: It really is, but one hundred percent so final scenes, he finally agrees to it. He gets over to Japan, he plays the he's in line, he has to go to the back of the line just to wait, to make it more of an event to more people get there. Finally gets there, finally plays them. Did was his final scene? Everything that happened was the payoff? Worth it? Him playing in this event? Of course, he didn't play in the Japan finals because he couldn't register, which is what I was thinking the whole time. I was like, how he going to just show up and be in at an event that they have been playing for a while. But whatever, he wasn't registered, so he learned he couldn't play, and we have this final epic battle between him and the champion. Throughout that whole scenes of things that happened, what'd you guys take out the most?
Speaker 2: Was it satisfying? Did it pay off? Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Not for me?
Speaker 6: You know, at they needed some slow motion, some special effects, some from challenges or something shit, you know, to sell it like I was just like, you know, and they skipped a lot of the point winning points, which is fine, But when he struck when he had the winning point and the way he just fell to the ground, I'm like, that's it. And that's when I was really the whole time the movie was dragged, but at that point, I was like, that's it. That's what people are loving about this. People really loved this movie, Like it didn't seem like he was really like, Oh, I finally did it. After all this this Turmola and everything I went went through, I finally getting spainked. I finally had my moment. I proved that he didn't even really prove that he's the best in the world. He just got his get back and he just fell to the ground and then that was it. And I'm like, that's it. So we spent all of this trunk of the movie for us to get here, and then this final match between them wasn't even exciting or an impactful.
Speaker 5: Hell no, that was for me because this dude was serious about his ping pong, like it really wasn't about anything else's ego, his pin like he seriously wanted to one of the fairest shots at this guy because you know, he was The thing that we didn't say earlier is that he felt like they were cheating because of the paddle.
Speaker 4: He felt like that, you know, he had an advantage because of that. But but yeah, to just kind of.
Speaker 5: Go against you know, the funders wishes of him losing. And you know, how did he tell him, dude, the dude, let's let's play out since he if he was dead.
Speaker 2: He went up to his ear. That's what I remember to play like.
Speaker 3: He was talking to somebody who may have translated, helped him translate for him, but it was like real, like he got up closer with that, nigga, I want to play you for real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like nobody language. It was just they was talking to him. I just didn't never understood that, like they just left the deaf thing right. Uh. But I do think it was unclimbacted, a very anti coimactic in the sense of how I keep compared to the smashing machine. At the end, he was just at the grocery store. It was like, bro, that's it, And it was just like that with this, It's like okay. So he went to an exhibition tournament and one like that that was the story. That's to Kim's point that that's what everybody is so high on. I thought there would be more of a climactic ending, more of a hero moment, or more of a winter moment or whatever it may be. But it's just it didn't. It didn't stand.
Speaker 5: It was a weird place for him to be to have one, right, because he was in their country and beating their their top player. So it's gonna be anti climatic in the sense of like, no one's going to really be sharing for you in this moment. But it was almost just like a self Uh, it was just like a it was just for himself, like you know what I'm saying, Like it.
Speaker 3: Was a.
Speaker 1: Is. It reaffirmed what everyone had been saying this whole movie, in my opinion, and the sense of this means everything to you, that too, but this means everything to you, it means nothing to anyone else, right, m right, And that that this kind of captivated that it's like, Okay, you went and this dude, like nobody's gonna be talking about this like this doesn't matter at all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. It was a climax for him, but not for anyone else.
Speaker 2: Like it didn't.
Speaker 3: It didn't feel like that's what they were going. So it feels like they really thought.
Speaker 1: This was a rocky moment. The way they were filming it, the way they were going back and forth all of that ship.
Speaker 3: I think they thought that we gave a fuck about that because this ship was Yes, because this scene was so long.
Speaker 1: Really, if they were going.
Speaker 3: For what y'all are stuffing into this movie, I don't think the scene would have been this long, and they wouldn't have been trying to do all these.
Speaker 9: Cool trick shots of them ah pop PLoP. They were going off like we were really like, oh ship, yo, this is crazy, But it wasn't.
Speaker 4: It was boring as fun.
Speaker 1: No, I knew he was gonna win.
Speaker 2: Did any did anybody think he was not gonna.
Speaker 1: Wins in the foot by putting a tournament out there? Like I think us as viewers of it, we're looking at it like, okay, but this is still just an exhibition. He can't even play in the tournament, so we thought to Mike's point, I thought there would be more like you going to win? This means absolutely nothing to me.
Speaker 4: It reminded me of challenges and I know y'all didn't like that.
Speaker 5: I like challenges, and I know y'all, like I said, y'all didn't, But it was just like that the final scene of them going back and forth was not about us. It was about Zendaya or whatever. And heard watching them going back and forth, this is the same thing. This is more about him proving to me.
Speaker 1: I definitely got that.
Speaker 3: I definitely got, you know, I got that we're not supposed to like, we're not supposed to actually give a shit because it's really just about showing that he's.
Speaker 1: The one that cares.
Speaker 2: And that's it.
Speaker 4: I'm saying.
Speaker 3: This scene and the way they filmed it, it came across like they really thought we were watching something interesting m hm. Because it was, like I said, it was just so long of a scene and they were going back and forth and doing all of this drama.
Speaker 2: And it was like, yeah, but y'all still just playing ping pong man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I thought it was intentional. I thought it was intentional. Like, I thought it was definitely intentional because it wasn't like a the cheering and the music at the end of it and all that. It was just him just being super super emotional about it. So it felt very like I said, you spent That's all I was saying earlier, Nick, you spent all this.
Speaker 4: Time with this guy just on this hide, thinking very highly of.
Speaker 5: Himself, and he's getting broken down, like all the way up until the end of the movie, like even in this moment, it's like no one cares, Like like no one, no one cares. You're talking about this thing throughout the whole movie that only you cared about it even.
Speaker 1: Supposed to get itself. He still got what he wants about it like that.
Speaker 2: I That's what I was, That's what I was going to got everything. He got everything he wanted. He wanted to be the big he wanted ping pong to be a thing.
Speaker 1: He wanted to be the man at that thing. He wanted to catch on. That was his his overall mission was to be like famous.
Speaker 4: That he didn't even get the balls took.
Speaker 1: I took it.
Speaker 3: I took it as he he only one of those things that justified to other people that it's important because because those are the things that they can look at and say, like, oh, if you're on the weed these box, if you're making a lot of money, then what you're doing is important because he kept. That's why I felt like he related the sport to himself so much as that, because you believe in me, you should believe in this sport.
Speaker 2: And then and then, at the.
Speaker 3: Same time, he only wanted to He was focused on beating dude because now dude was number one. Dude got all the ways and he and once he beat dude, he accomplished it what he wanted to do because remember he eould talked to the white dude shark do it. He was like, I don't give a funk about everything that we promised as for me to get to this moment. I just wanted to do anything I could to get to this moment.
Speaker 2: I think he settled for that, though. That wasn't what he was looking for.
Speaker 1: He was looking to beat a Michael Jordan and ping pong and make ping pong as popular as he thought it should be.
Speaker 2: But he's settled for it. Like we've seen him get broke down.
Speaker 1: Here's my whole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I beat the best.
Speaker 3: But at no point was that breaking down mean anything. He was still this cocky, arrogant asshole. So it's it's not like we're really watching him get broken down because it's not like he was even realizing.
Speaker 2: I'm getting broken down.
Speaker 3: So when I say that he got what he wanted at the end of the realm, when he went into that match, he wanted to beat that Asian dude, and he got what he wanted.
Speaker 2: He beat the Asian guy.
Speaker 1: He fell to the ground all dramatically.
Speaker 3: Then he gets up and they're holding his arm up and yeah, nobody's cheering.
Speaker 1: And all that.
Speaker 3: So I definitely get you with that, Rod, But I guess I don't really get the point here because he's still He's still one.
Speaker 2: He beat the Asian dude.
Speaker 3: Yes, Ping Pong didn't become the biggest thing in the world, but he became the best guy.
Speaker 2: He beat the best guy.
Speaker 3: So it's like, sorry, one more second, I promise I'll shut up. When the movie ends and we hit stop, I'm trying to figure out what message am I walking away from because it seems like they were trying to.
Speaker 1: Push one.
Speaker 5: They were they did they did this is this wasn't the moment. The moment was the actual like because he didn't have satisfaction.
Speaker 4: The baby, Yeah, the baby, it was the baby.
Speaker 5: The baby was that show like finally showed that he cared about something more than himself, which is why he broke down so much when he saw him.
Speaker 4: So it's like, go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 1: But that's life was over.
Speaker 2: That's what I was saying. That's what I was saying.
Speaker 3: To my's point, whered like when you were saying like, oh, he got broken down, Like I don't really see him get broken down, because he was cocky throughout the whole movie and then he just because he had nothing else left.
Speaker 2: He went back home. He took care of the kid because he had no other thing, nothing else to do.
Speaker 1: Right, because.
Speaker 3: He couldn't get to the tournament, because he couldn't officially beat the guy, even though he beat the guy, because he was on the run from the law technically because of his uncle. It's just like, bro, all of my options are taken away. But as long as I can do this thing, that'll make it. That'll make everything right. Because if he didn't beat dude, he was gonna stay in Japan. He was stay in Japan until he got another opportunity to beat dude. He was not gonna come home until he beat dude.
Speaker 1: But see, I don't think we saw him getting broken down because we realized it as viewers but he didn't even realize it as a character even up until the end, Like he never realized that he like he was. He started settling for these things that he never thought he would have to settle for because he thought he was so good and that good would bring him accolades. He never got the accolades from being good. Like he just starts settling for these things because he was good at this one thing, and he never realized that he was doing it, but they showed it through the movie then, from the Globetrotters to like just to everything that he did was a settle for that first initial dream that he had with his uncle, and he told his uncle, like, I'm gonna be a bet, like all the stars are lined up, I'm gonna be the biggest thing in the world. This thing is about to take off. And he settled for winning an exhibition match against the world's best, and then that was enough for him when he had such high hopes in the beginning. So, no, they never did it on screen intentionally, but I think as a viewer we were able to see it which way. I thought that conversation that he had with Gwyneth Paul Joe's character was really significant, and she was like, bro, like how you gonna eat tomorrow? How do you pay rent? Like these things didn't matter to regular everyday people. You're not even thinking about them because you're so consumed with ping pong.
Speaker 3: That's that's what That's what I was going with, Like, once again, this is a movie about ignoring being a good man because you want to be great at something, you know, and like it's the same thing that kind of similarly talked about in The Bear I think in season three or something like that, when he confronted his mentor. It's like, I'm doing all these things ignoring people, you know, ignore my responsibilities because I'm trying to focus on this one thing. That's what he told old girl when he cuts chopped it down. He was like, I have one sole purpose, and that's to be the greatest ping pong whatever. And that means that regardless of this is my baby and not I'm not taking care of all true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, and he thought I skipped over the whole dog part because I felt like that.
Speaker 2: Was just that was hilarious.
Speaker 1: That was part of one of the movie. Was said that shit didn't make no sense, Like Mike, it never was going to work. From the moment that he thought of it was never going to work. But they wasted twenty minutes of the movie.
Speaker 2: On this where they went to that dude's house. Dude was looking through.
Speaker 1: The window like.
Speaker 2: That ship was he got blasted.
Speaker 1: Just being a white man. Look, I don't know how he didn't get shot. That guy was shot everybody. At the end, Yeah, it's it based on the true story. You know how that goes? All right?
Speaker 2: So at the end he's a Jewish, Honey, story was real.
Speaker 1: Oh you looked that up. That's what That's what I saw.
Speaker 2: Yes, any thoughts on the end baby and breaking down like like, honey, take you know this really showed that he I didn't get none of that either.
Speaker 3: I get there was no There was just no point that I ever got anything other than Marty Supreme is a piece of ship.
Speaker 1: Even at the end, him looking at that baby and crying. I was just like, bro, really, what what what?
Speaker 3: What am I supposed to take from this? Your asshole, You're you're a fucking ass and you knew that was your kid. You didn't give a fuck. But now at the end, I'm supposed to be like damn, he turned into a he turned into a good man because he cares about this little punk ass baby.
Speaker 1: No, no, fuck him and fuck that baby. I don't care about.
Speaker 2: That is his baby, that ain't his baby.
Speaker 1: The same way.
Speaker 6: That he was.
Speaker 2: He looked at him like, what the fuck is this.
Speaker 6: That I that.
Speaker 2: I way more than this mother.
Speaker 5: That I think the ending is what brought it home for me, Like you showed this guy throughout the whole movie, like quote unquote.
Speaker 4: Chasing the American Dream right like you, He's like relentless, like he's going hard at it and all of that.
Speaker 5: So I think you know people that do that, that get so consumed with their work and trying to achieve greatness, they start they start like losing focus on things that really matter in life, Like when it comes to relationships, it comes to just stuff that really matters, you know, family, all of that, Like you're so focused friends with with Tyler, like you just started.
Speaker 4: Just not paying attention to those things.
Speaker 5: And I think he had a realization even though I got this thing that I've been chasing for for so long, it didn't matter, you know what I'm saying. What matters is connections, real connections with people all of that. So I think a lot of people can relate to that story. I mean, because everybody's always working so hard to chase something. So that's what I got from the last scene when you see him, you know, break down so much looking at the Baby's finally kind of Okay, this is what.
Speaker 1: Life is about.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 3: I guess I just don't get it from this. I got from it at the end when he's looking at that baby. What I got was, Okay, to japand you beat the guy that you wanted to beat.
Speaker 1: You came back.
Speaker 3: Now you don't have anything, so you're going back to the only thing you have left, which is.
Speaker 2: This woman who was cheating on her man with you. I never got that.
Speaker 3: He realized, oh this is what matters, or they didn't. They didn't bring that home for me at all. Him going in there and crying because he saw the baby.
Speaker 1: It was like, that's it. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: They was trying to They tried to redeem his character at the end. That's what they try to do. And to me, it was like, we have two hours and twenty nine minutes of him being a piece of shit and just trying to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just because he got a he.
Speaker 3: Especially where there's no reason we would even believe that he's going to raise this baby. He could be crying because he's like, damn, I'm about to bounce, and I really feel bad about this, but I'm still about.
Speaker 4: To do it.
Speaker 3: Like we don't get anything from at least I didn't get anything from that scene.
Speaker 5: I just feel like that's why they put so much emphasis on him being an asshole. It's just being kind of like the the bad guy this this movie.
Speaker 4: Because Yeah, I just think a lot of people can relate to chasing after this.
Speaker 1: Thing and that, you know, a lot of things.
Speaker 3: If he was in the middle of that pingng match and he got a phone call cell phones. But if if somehow he got a phone call and they were like, yo, so and so was in the hospital. She's about to give birth, and he left the ping pong match and flew home to be there for the girl and the baby.
Speaker 2: I'd be like, oh, okay.
Speaker 1: So he realized what was important.
Speaker 3: Instead, he knew she was fucked up, knew she was about to have a baby. He still went to the band beat the dude, and then he flew back and was like, let.
Speaker 1: Me go see what she's up to. Oh, you saw in the hospital, cool like broke, Come on, thank you Mike, Mike. He dropped her off at the hospital and left right the whole.
Speaker 2: The whole movie. He ignoring the fact that she's pregnant. But do you note.
Speaker 3: All of a sudden he's just a serial killer, Mike cry because he has a baby.
Speaker 4: But even if that's the case.
Speaker 5: Two, I like that as well, right, because it could tell it leaves the viewer like like, obviously we're split. We split here because one viewer can look at it as sorrow, right when somebody can look at it it's like, damn man, like I am not able to to achieve these dreams.
Speaker 4: Now I got this baby.
Speaker 1: I gotta raise.
Speaker 4: You can look at it that way.
Speaker 5: I think it's just there on the mindset of the person and how they view life or whatever. Like it's like kind of glass half empty, glass half full. It's like, Okay, are you having a realization. Are you finally having a realization that you know, life is more than just achieving these dreams and it's about family and things like that, or are you just upon him?
Speaker 4: Now I got to raise the you know what I'm saying, And I'm sad about it. It could go either way.
Speaker 15: Huh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with Mike. He never showed us that he was gonna be there, Like, I don't know that tomorrow. He ain't off somewhere else trying to do Why would he want to go see the baby?
Speaker 4: Like, why would he want to go see it?
Speaker 1: He's like, I'm here, I check him out.
Speaker 3: He did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just yeah, it might be.
Speaker 2: Friends for a long time.
Speaker 1: So yeah, eight years old. I agree. I agree with Mike in the sense of like that they needed to be like this is a perfect instance where they then this happened, like if they had the words come up and Marty went on to become this and this that what I show him working in the shooting or as the manager. I needed something to reaffirm that him crying for that baby meant he was turning the new league, because again, all we know is he left there to somebody else play ping pong and trying to make it to the tournament in India next year. Let's all we know. Yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 4: I think it's cool that you don't need like.
Speaker 1: I like that they left it ambiguous.
Speaker 3: But the fact that left an ambiguous makes me look at this like Okay, I don't really know what I'm supposed to take from this. He's still a piece of ship. But right, that isn't the person? So you so you so Spike, Yes.
Speaker 1: So Spike.
Speaker 4: You really think he'll be self destructive like that all over again, get embarrassed in different.
Speaker 2: As a person. I think that's to his core.
Speaker 1: And I think this movie showed us that, Like, if you're willing to get paddled by a grown man in front of his friends to go play an exhibition ping pong match in hopes that you can play the real ping pong matches you want to play, that's that's that's your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you ain't. You ain't redeeming from that. He gonna be that form.
Speaker 4: Again, that's the case.
Speaker 5: I still like it because it shows that people won't learn from their mistakes, or can show people that we will learn mistakes.
Speaker 1: That's true. That's a good point.
Speaker 3: Any last thoughts, this is this is a blockbuster hit though, like this is I think people he may he may get his oscar.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about that in a bit.
Speaker 2: That's I think that's the I think this.
Speaker 3: Ah, But I'm just saying like this is a huge I think this is twenty four's biggest movie, like like box office, I think so, I think it beat what was the last one?
Speaker 2: Everything everywhere, all that once.
Speaker 1: I think it beat that.
Speaker 3: No I signed out, I saw anything with a cute white boy, and it's a subject.
Speaker 1: It's gonna every time.
Speaker 2: You're right?
Speaker 1: But yeah, right, would you say he's an A lister now? I think if he's not, he's right there. If he's not, he's right the top name. He probably the top name in Hollywood.
Speaker 4: He's getting top dollar.
Speaker 2: He has to be at this point, like he's above Michael B.
Speaker 5: Jordan's He's I think they're probably here depending like like because yeah, yeah, I think they're about the same.
Speaker 1: Above Michael Jordan.
Speaker 2: Would you Michael Jordan's in this role? No, no fucking way, no, honkey ball. That's That's what I'm saying. Ut, Like, as much as I would to agree with you, I don't know.
Speaker 4: You can't play too though that Michael B.
Speaker 3: Can.
Speaker 2: I mean yeah, timpthy can be.
Speaker 1: Crazy very close. So yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: Here one hundred and five million globally is and everything everyone was one hundred and forty million globally.
Speaker 2: It's going to pass. It's going to pass it.
Speaker 1: So it's going to pass it.
Speaker 4: So I said, yeah, right, right right, because it is because right now everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey Nick, you missed that boy?
Speaker 7: What is.
Speaker 1: Ill?
Speaker 2: Wait till late.
Speaker 1: I'll wait till late. All right. This has been our This has been our review of the movie What's your Name? This again, Martin? You like it?
Speaker 2: It's twenty twenty five, This movie old.
Speaker 4: This my last year.
Speaker 2: Second review of Marty Supreme.
Speaker 1: We are out peace seez oh shoot