Speaker 1: The ride with JMV.
Speaker 2: Say, man, you got a joint uh noe?
Speaker 3: Not on me, Man, It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Speaker 1: Ninety three five and one oh seven five the Fan.
Speaker 3: Ohio State, Oregon, Georgia, Texas, Notre Dame, and IU. According to the coaches, Phil Steele's gonna join us coming up on Friday.
Speaker 1: Right talk to Phil about IU.
Speaker 3: I'm sure the scheduling, the scheduling and the Kaitlin Clark stuff which is absolutely ridiculous, which is normally as nine either side.
Speaker 1: Just keep it right here.
Speaker 3: We'll talk hoop and won't have to jack with the other crap you have to jack with Brian Nubert, the new ad at Purdue. We'll talk to Brian about that coming up at the top of the hour. Aces and Fever coming up on Thursday. That's at seven o'clock. Tidrose got you six thirty right here on Thursday. Ninety three five and one oh seven five f on the Andy Moore Automotive Group Potline joining us now in a kicking battle with Spincter Sraider and he was fantastic at the end of last season for sure. Blake Groupie joins us now again. On the Andy Moore Automotive Group potline. Hey, Blake, thank you for the time. How are you can't complain?
Speaker 2: We're fresh out to practice fields out here. I think we're on day six. I think, so everything's going well and join the energy and I'm ready to keep building.
Speaker 1: All right, knock on some wood here? Are you still perfect?
Speaker 2: I believe so?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Well, hopefully this conversation doesn't ruin that for you. But because I don't know if I'm the luckiest dude around anyway, Hey, I want to talk about your situation.
Speaker 1: It is rather interesting.
Speaker 3: You came in late last season and just absolutely caught fire a franchise record sixty yarder that could have been good even further. I think in Seattle, if you go back and watch the tape on that. What's your feeling right now going into a competition, Blake, and especially a competition with somebody you know so well?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's uh, you know, I feel like my mindset is uh, I feel like I have a good mindset, like my you know, I'm in a good spot here. I Uh, I really enjoyed, you know, building with these guys and with Luke and Rigo and the whole rest of the team. I mean, that's what it's all about here at training camp, you know, but I would say that you know, just you know, going into the competition, it's, you know, we know the nature of it. I guess as a as a kicker, and and uh, how slim the margins are. So it's you know, you got to go out and put your best foot forward every day. Yeah, you got five weeks of camp and only a handful of practices and preseason games to make your mark. So you uh feel like I go out there and show you can.
Speaker 1: Do That's just Blake groupy with us.
Speaker 3: There are not a lot of career circumstances in which you feel you have to be perfect. This is certainly your career choice is one of those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt. It's a uh you know, we all know what we're signing up for when it when it comes to the kicking in the National Football League. So it's you know, that's the standards, the standard, and guys are only getting better around here. So we're gonna you know, keep putting them through the uprights and and you know, keep preparing for the season.
Speaker 3: I got to ask you this, in your opinion, is there any run nor reason to why you can be perfect as of right now, how you can look so good at the end of last year but also go into with your final season in New Orleans a funk. Because here's what I'm considering, and you can correct me if I'm wrong. You're getting used to operationally speaking your guys and being out there, but you were thrust into it late in the season to where you were getting used to things on the fly. And I'm assuming you were also used to the folks around you late in.
Speaker 1: Your stance in New Orleans.
Speaker 3: So is there any run nor reason as to why you can get into and then out of a funk or be nearly perfect, if not perfect, so easily in the game of place kicking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, here's a lot that goes into it, you know, being being with a you know, a better operation here with Luke and Rego and and guys that I really, you know, truly worked well together and and you know are going to make it for as easy as me, as as easy on me as possible. You know, I've always felt that, you know, I go out of here and do my thing, and when I can, you know, I can control and I can do what I can do. Control what I can control and and the rest will you know, take care of itself. So you know, I've been in a good little groove, you know, when I was in the kod groove and in training camp last year as well, And there's just there's so much that goes into it at our position, and so you know, I really you know, stuck to my stuck to my guns and trusted myself and my routine and and uh, you know it paid off last year. But every years of New Year, you got to go out and put the work in and and you know, earn it every single year.
Speaker 3: How's your relationship with Spencer? Given the fact you guys know one another so well, yet you're competing for the same professional gig here, it's been it's been.
Speaker 2: Doing good that you can't can't ask for anything, you know, I better got to go against you got to. You got a guy that I've known for you know, two or three years now. Unfortunately you know we're little Irish on Irish action out here in Indianapolis here, but uh yeah, you know State, he's a great guy. I couldn't ask for anybody better do against. And and I know it's gonna be a high level competition and I don't have to bring my best every single day.
Speaker 1: That is Blake Groopy with us.
Speaker 3: He joins us via the Andy More Automative Group hotline perfect so far in camp and Westfield?
Speaker 1: What's your operation? Like? What are the dues and the don'ts for you? Pre kick, pre snap?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: You know you don't really worry about the don'ts. You just worry about the dudes. I think that's the first one.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you know, I have a routine, whether you know, all the way from whether it's you know, in a practice setting my warm up and then working yourself into the getting ready for practice, or whether it's coming from the sideline on a game. You know, it's all it's all different. Everybody has a set of routines that kind of works for them. So I just kind of, you know, go one, check the boxes off, work through my routine, and and I know when I'm coomfortable and I've worked through that routine that you know, usually good things happen.
Speaker 3: Not a lot of five seven one fifty six dudes of the NFL roaming around, are there?
Speaker 2: No, there's not too many. But I'll hold it down for the rest of them.
Speaker 3: I'm going to I have nicknamed you the Ponykeg because I kind of, yeah, well, I know it's weird, but uh so, powder Keg is what you are as a kicker because I don't know where you find it, brother, but you find it, you find the power. So that's part of the powder Keg and the culture of the pony part of it too. I would guess this. You come from a not so huge community in Missouri. To me, you've probably been proving it to everybody either that questions, your stature, your abilities are all the way around your entire life, and this is probably just right another step in that process.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I I honestly agree. I you know, nothing about the position I'm in is new to me. You know, I've just kind of the way I've I've found my way throughout the years is kind of working through it and and find my way.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: That's just I guess kind of tied it into what what Carly's messages this year is everything's about finding way. So you know, going from a walk on and to Arkansas State to you know, playing starting there for four years and transfer another dame, going undrafted. I mean, it's just kind of part of my story is is kind of going against the odds. And so that's just kind of the position I found myself in. And and if you want to have some success, you don't really you don't really have a choice. So it's part of it. You're out here, you know, trying to make it happen and trying to help the team.
Speaker 3: I would I would guess that this is just how your bill once you found when did you find out at what point of what age that you were built to prove people wrong like this? When did you discover that? You know?
Speaker 2: I mean, I would say twenty twenty nineteen in college is kind of my first year of having some success and seeing it kind of payoff. But I mean, I've along the way, I've I've messed it up just as many times as I've done right. And and that's part of the learning process. So as long as you're you know, continuing to uh to you know, add your add your repertoire and continue to get better and work through those situations you know, just still make the same mistake twice and and uh you know, continue to build, continue to better yourself and and try to set yourself up for it to uh, you know, have success.
Speaker 3: Blake Groupie joins us. He's on the Andy Morro Auto Motive Group hotline. So when you joined the team last year, and especially when you found that success, I became I don't know, this can't be original.
Speaker 1: I'm a I'm a groupie groupie. Have you had those before? Yeah, I've heard it.
Speaker 2: I've heard that a couple of times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, groupie groupie. That is me and a lot of the listeners right here, because you look at the effect you had on this team that was searching late in the season. Situationally speaking, it was it was profound and as you mentioned, you were just kind of thrust right into it, but got the job done and got the job done right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it was Uh, you know, I was excited, uh coming up here and coming to a team that you know, we were well we were building to or trying to make the playoffs, trying to trying to get it rolling. So I was just trying to, you know, do my part and uh and at the end of the day, just set up the team for success. You know, we we have a big role, but you know it's also a small one at the same time. So anything that I can do to help anybody else, regardless if it's on the field off the field, you just try to come in and and uh, you know, do your thing and and uh be there for the team.
Speaker 3: Does the game slow down for you when you go out there and kick? Does it do do you try to slow it down yourself? At least your mindset your frame of mind to slow it down, to make sure you're as comfortable as possible during that process.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, you can. There's there's things you can do to prepare it. So it's all in preparation. So you know, you just go into it. You you you know, work throughout the week and and familiarize yourself with everything and the conditions and the stadium. There's everything. There's a lot of little stuff that goes into kicking and so but that's our job to take you know, take uh you know, advantage of opportunities and and uh you know, account for all that stuff. So it's uh, you know, it's just in the job description. You come up and get comfortable in the in situations where nobody else is so part of it.
Speaker 3: Is there any place where you would rather not kick, just the place you don't like or have never liked.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there's definitely a few out there that are more difficult than others. But at the end of the day, you only got a choice, so you should to go out there and uh and and make it happen.
Speaker 3: When you were in high school, were you better football, baseball or soccer?
Speaker 2: Uh? Definitely not baseball.
Speaker 1: Uh Uh what positions? What positions?
Speaker 2: Second baseman?
Speaker 1: Oh boy, okay, we were.
Speaker 2: We were a role player there, but uh, soccer soccer wise, in Missouri, soccer football balls both in the fall. So I would go to soccer practice and play throughout the week and they'll kick a couple of balls on Thursday afternoon and play on Fridays. So it Uh we made all state and balls, so it's hard to pick it too. And uh, you know, we decided to go to football route, and I'd say it's paid off.
Speaker 1: What choices did you have collegiately and soccer, Blake.
Speaker 2: I mean, honestly, it was mostly a bunch of you know, smaller schools, you know, some P two s and some you know, not not big schools. Definitely not Division one for soccer. But I took that one Division on one, Uh, walk on offer and and uh ran with it.
Speaker 1: Did you enjoy the World Cup? I did?
Speaker 2: It was it was fun, you know, connecting with you know, watching your friends and your family that are I guess not as a fan, more friends but that you know aren't aren't digging to soccer, watching them kind of get around on it and uh and and really starts to pay attention. That's always fun.
Speaker 1: This is yeah, this is I was good to watch. This is Blake griffing with us.
Speaker 3: Hey, I'm gonna let you run here in a second, but I want to ask you about Sedalia, Missouri.
Speaker 1: That is your hometown, correct? Yes?
Speaker 3: The ragtime music? Is that what it's most noted for? Did I looked that up accurately?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's some Yeah, I remember learning about that. You know, rag Time it started Scott jopp One all that and so yeah, that's that's one of the that's one of the prizes to.
Speaker 1: So did you grow up a Missouri fan?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, my.
Speaker 2: Home sounds about an hour from Columbia, So I grew up from the Zoo fan and and uh cheering on the Chiefs. So but those days are over?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well let me yeah, no, well yeah, big time over.
Speaker 3: Let me say this though, I believe I saw this that there is a former wrestler that I absolutely loved back in the day that is from your hometown. His name is Ox Baker. You ever hear that name from your hometown? The wrestling Ox that was. And let me tell you this, Blake Mabe, you're much younger than I am, but he was a big deal around here in Indianapolis. He was a big deal wrestling wise, back when, back when I was growing up. But no, that's that's cool as hell to see that. Hey, congratulations. Now, I don't want to mention, but I also had Matt gay On a couple of years ago, uh, during training camp. So that's why I want you to knock on wood when you're done with this conversation.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: I don't mean that you're superstitious. Maybe you are, maybe you aren't, but make sure you cover We want to cover our asses here, Okay, So knock on some wood when you're done with this.
Speaker 1: All right, I'll be just I'll be just good.
Speaker 2: Fine, I'll control it.
Speaker 1: I can, so I'll be all right.
Speaker 2: Had a guy.
Speaker 3: Hey, we appreciate you, We really like watching you your fun and certainly congratulations on what you've accomplished so far and keep on keeping.
Speaker 2: On brother, Yes, sir, we'll be really craciure to happening.
Speaker 3: You got it's play groupie right there, the Anymore Automotive group hootline five six five seven one fifty six.
Speaker 1: And you know, it's something that we had talked about.
Speaker 3: And obviously the groupie groupie and the nickname stuff is is all kind of silliness by me. But you could tell one thing and one thing about that. Actually two things you can tell you guys are ready. You could tell that there haven't been a lot of in depth conversations about him in his life, which is fine, but you can also tell with that that's all business. And that's how it has to be in a competition. In a situation like that, it has to be all business. You're not even a member of the team. This is not even competition against the opposition as it was at the end of last year. This is competition against the guy that you've known and kicking for a special teams coach and Brian Mason that you know.
Speaker 1: So that is all business and that's.
Speaker 3: The approach, honestly, that is the approach that is necessary across the board for the colts that are trying to accomplish some things that simply put, they have not accomplished.
Speaker 1: The results have not been there. That's the TAC to take