Speaker 1: The France Per Second Podcast. Welcome everybody to the France per Second Podcast.
Speaker 2: Can it be in chareed with uh Nick, Spike, Mike, Nay and Rod. What up y'all? Yeah? What's up? Okay?
Speaker 1: Uh Hey, we're here to discuss the uh mini episode one shot something about the bear is Gary?
Speaker 2: The bear episode which is one hour. The bear is on a cartoon.
Speaker 3: I watched that.
Speaker 1: Watch that, No, man, Gary, am I supposed to say Gary parentheses the bear episode?
Speaker 2: I think he said Gary. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Anyway, but yeah, it's uh It's beastly a one hour show about uh Rich and Michael is the name Michael spending time in in the hood in Gary, Indiana.
Speaker 2: They say, they say it's rough up this bit, you know.
Speaker 1: So yeah, But anyway, real quick, before we get into this discussion about how we felt about uh Gary, make sure you guys check out out euphor you before your recap. We just concluded uh the final episode of the series, so you can check that out and it's on of course wherever you listen to this if you guys follow the series.
Speaker 2: So check that out.
Speaker 1: And of course we got a dileve boost this review upcoming back rooms is out.
Speaker 2: That's one of the talks about shows.
Speaker 1: So if you're come across this episode and you haven't checked out any of that stuff, check it out. Also uh Patreon, Patreon dot com, slash Y, Straight of Rattions, and a lot of other good exclusive content. All Right, man, look, what did you guys think about this episode? I guess I'll start with you Nick thoughts about spending two hours with a well an hour with them on this mission.
Speaker 4: I thought it was I thought it was cool. I didn't think it was anything to spectacular. I thought we got a really good scene towards the end, but it just felt like a something that I think the audience probably wish they that they asked for it, But then when you see it, it's like, I don't think I really needed this. At least that's about my takeaway from it. They keep on you going back to this Mikey world too much.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, Mike, you're making a face. Why why are you making a face? Because, I mean, that's what the show is. I don't know that they can do the show without their being a Mikey well. But yeah, I like this episode. I mean, did we need it? I don't know. I don't know, because I don't know how any of this is going to fit in with the rest of the final season. But yeah, for not having The Bear for a while and this being what they threw about us, it was fine, Spike. It's kind of a cheeko having these two actors in an episode. Usually that doesn't seem like it means anything, but they're so good and like, I want to see them, Like, I don't even funk they're doing whatever they're doing in Gear. I want to see these two actors doing their thing.
Speaker 5: So I think it's kind of a cheek hole for them to drop this on us, and it really have no significance to the story of this point other than giving us backstory. However, I do think that this story is so well told in the world of The Bear that this is going to come into play at some point during the season. This is going to be something big in one of the episodes, and you're like, oh, that episode called Henry made so much sense now because I'm seeing this in this last episode of The Bear. So that's my expectation of this. So I can look at this and be like, it's cool. It's cool one off. However, I do think there's something significant that's going to come from.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 6: Yes, it's said to be like a precursor to the to the next season.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's definitely supposed to be like some sort of.
Speaker 6: Jail that that that you that you get to bring this uh this final I don't know if it's the final season together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, last season.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, so it's supposed to be like right at that uh that moment, So they should pick up what this leaves off?
Speaker 2: What did y'all like it? Did you like it? Oh?
Speaker 6: I'm sorry that leaves off he's saying.
Speaker 2: I think he's saying that the way the episode ended, Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the way it ended, that's that's what's supposed to lead into the next season. So I feel like, you need it's gonna be a reason that they showed us all that that it's gonna help support next season.
Speaker 3: With that said, I do I like that. I like that. That's that's clever, you know what I'm saying. I thought it was clever.
Speaker 6: But but I'm kind of like with with with Nick, it's like and at first, like you know what the first stuff he was saying about Oh York about it's like one of those things that you think you wanted until you see type of thing.
Speaker 3: And then what did you said?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like it's like a because like you always seen Mikey and Richie and like bits and pieces, and like, man, what if they just got a full episode of these two together be a really good episode And then when you see it's like, oh, that was just.
Speaker 3: It was a lot.
Speaker 6: It was a lot, you know what I'm saying. It was a lot. Like I could have did like thirty minutes of this. I didn't need like a whole hour.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I disagree.
Speaker 3: I think that thirty minutes.
Speaker 7: They gave me thirty minutes of a lot, and then the last thirty minutes was all the drama that I needed. And I feel like it was a really good way too, because Mikey's been such a big part of the season without being in the season, without being a live character there, so I think being able to kind of see some of the what.
Speaker 8: He was dealing with personally was really good.
Speaker 7: Seeing the two characters bounce off of each other was really good, and I think it helps you to even further understand where all of these characters are in present day. And then and then you have whatever this is gonna weave into for the next season.
Speaker 2: I feel like this.
Speaker 8: Gary trip has been referenced in I think it was referenced in.
Speaker 7: The last season or like maybe the last few episodes of last season.
Speaker 8: So I was like, I think the I think.
Speaker 7: It was an interesting way to weak what's happened to What's gonna happen And it was for me a good teaser to the next season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I thought it was fine.
Speaker 1: I you know, I think the way it ended is, you know, seeing them kind of go back and forth with you know, Mikey kind of losing it. But but overall I thought it was fine. I think halfway through them like, all right, like, what what is the purpose of this?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: I think we're in a space right now and uh, and we've been here for a minute where it's all about worlds and and building and creating other content around the world. It's like power, Like everybody wants to do this whole power thing or walking dead thing now where we have these characters and they're going to tell these stories inside of inside of a series, and then we can branch that out and put something else out to keep something alive. And I think when you have two actors like John Burnhal and Evan mass Boker it, you know, and having them kind of play off one another throughout the episode, I think, you know, they're good enough to kind of see their chemistry and camaraderie on the screen, you know. But it's a story impactful enough to make it matter and we'll find out when you know. The season kind of starts next year, well in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 5: But I think, I think to your point in building worlds, can that's what this is a test case of. Of course, the guy that plays a bear with Jeremy Allen Wright is that his name, Like, I think he's moved on to another spectrum and I'm going to do movies. I'm trying to turn into this Hollywood superstar. But the guy in this not our main guy, Gillen, whatever his name is. But the other guy, the cousin. They're looking at him like Richie, like there could be something here in the world of the Bear as to where we explore his life more, his previous life, more how he got to be in Richie, a prequel, whatever it may be.
Speaker 2: I think this is a test for that.
Speaker 5: And they use a great actor like they have with the brother that they have in this, and then they try to test it and see, Okay, well are people going to be responsive with this? I think that there could be a spin off with the cousin and him doing his whole thing in the world of the Bear. I didn't see people want to see it, Mike, But I think they tested this, they testing the trial.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's no. I disagree with you.
Speaker 1: I don't think that it's a test for it for Richie, but I think it's it's a way to get more out of John Berenhal of anything, because he's such a good actor and you know, you can like when he's on the screen, he kind of steals the moment from a lot of people. So it's like, now since he's kind of been written in and out, we get a chance to kind of do more with him. But where do you guys, like, what did you guys think about seeing this version of Richie in twenty nineteen, before the birth of his baby.
Speaker 2: He's happily married.
Speaker 1: Did you guys kind of buy into him being like this happy, go lucky, sort of carefree dude.
Speaker 2: I did? I feel like.
Speaker 4: He kind of he's always been on this path that we finally saw in like the last couple of seasons of The Bear where it's like he's been trying to mature, trying to grow up, but he's still kind of is working the kinks on that. And I think think this was the first kind of like first episode where we see the beginning of that, because he's about to have a kid, like you mentioned, and he knows he needs to grow up. He's trying to be back by five thirty and shit, like he's just trying to make sure that five fifteen year and he's just trying to make sure that he's like on top of his shit, but he still he still wants to hang with the homies. And I think this was the episode, at least for me, it's like, this is what happens when you know you outgrow a situation, where you outgrow a person, and I think he didn't realize that until this moment. Maybe reflecting on it later on, was like, damn, that's when I outgrew him because he was still looking at out John Mike.
Speaker 2: Because Mikey was.
Speaker 4: Still like trying to say he ain't shit, he ain't doing it, and he's like, I'm bigger than I'm better than that.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to do more.
Speaker 4: And then like that really hurt him because you saw the story that he said about him, or like how much he meant to him in his life, and he's like, this is a guy that says this about me. This means that I'm probably not I'm feeling different about this guy, this relationship all in all together, even throughout the CD, you know what I'm saying. So it's just like, I feel like this was the beginning of his maturation that we saw throughout the series.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it seemed like he was still like that guy and he was I think, you know, you're saying him hanging with the homies, I think even his whole five to fifteen thing, like he was adamant about that. But also it's just like he also forgot about it too. When he got into this bar full of women and exchanging and telling these stories and playing these games like that shit.
Speaker 2: You know, it.
Speaker 1: Reminded him to a certain degree he was hanging on to a life that he really enjoyed, and he was reluctant to let go, and he was being forced to let go.
Speaker 2: But he was having himself a blast.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying that's the spark of it. This is like rogue one for his journey is like this is this is where we see the beginning of all this shit.
Speaker 1: I think that he was forced to become that person because of the events of what happened here and everything, and what happened to Mikey.
Speaker 2: I think if Mikey was still alive, I think he still probably would have been this. I disagree with that, but now I want to get I just.
Speaker 8: Had a question. Was he lying to his wife about what he was doing?
Speaker 7: Yes, okay, that's what what Yeah, he felt because he was saying that they were having meetings and all this kind of stuff, as if he was doing and more than just running a moon box or whatever it is that they was transporting uh to Gary.
Speaker 2: But he was it.
Speaker 7: Was something illegal, right, they was look at it was.
Speaker 2: I thought he was just dropping off gears a sealed package. That was it was a meeting. Still, I don't know why y'all playing guy.
Speaker 5: He was just trying to make it seem like something legit, because this is my pregnant girlfriend and she expects more than going to Gary, Indiana and dropping off packages that are sealed and I don't know about what they got to do with.
Speaker 2: Yes, he fact.
Speaker 7: When you talk about him growing or outgrowing Baron Fall's character when we talk about him, but the man he became, I don't think he was anywhere near the richie that we know at the end.
Speaker 3: Of the last season. Yet, right, I think this.
Speaker 7: Is like the start of him, Like this is the start of things unrattling, so he can become that.
Speaker 8: But I think this is a prime exit. This, this whole episode is.
Speaker 7: An example of why his ship failed with his wife to begin with, because you're you're still running with y'all, y'all doing in illegal stuff, You're lying to your wife about it, you're promising to be back at the time that you can't be back. You missed it, like I don't remember, Yeah, d you missed the birth of your child. Like it's so much foolishness that he's getting involved in because of who he is as well as who Mikey is. So I just think that this episode is like showing how much of a cluster they both are.
Speaker 5: And it shows him that he still idolizes that character that John Bereenthal plays that's the biggest thing in his world to him, and the point that he's willing to lie to his wife, he's willing to do all these illegal things, go on his trip, all these things, knowing he got a baby on the web. It's just because he idolizes him this much. I don't think that it gets close to the character, like you said, Nick, in the sense of him making a transition, but it does show us why he's there, Like we've thought all this time as to the point if he's sticking around, he's being a cousin.
Speaker 2: He's letting the baron talk to him like he talks to him.
Speaker 5: But it's because he idolizes this dude so much and he's willing to sacrifice so much for him. I don't think that we really got that transitions out of this character that Richie plays into the Forks episode when he's there doing the work with the other restaurant.
Speaker 2: Well, they do a lot, you know.
Speaker 1: We've seen him going on a mirroad of different adventures out that some hot doll restaurant and talk with the owner and stuff like that, which I don't even I think that was a real spot because she didn't seem like she was acting good at all. Yeah, so, but uh, but Mike, what was your favorite out of all the earlier parts of the adventure, the first thirty minutes or so, what was your favorite part out of all that.
Speaker 2: One? Well, I want to go back to answer the other question real quick, but no, I just wanted to kind of respond to Spikes part because I'm not sure. I'm not sure where the thing about him being so obsessed with Mikey that he would do illegal stuff, as if he wouldn't just do illegal stuff because he's a fuck off. Because to me he had the gun in the house. I don't and I haven't. I haven't rewatched the Bear in a Wild Spike, so maybe you have recently, but I don't remember them ever really implying that Richie was just like a normal, you know, uh, goodie two shoes kind of dude. Maybe he's a fucking jerk off, just like he's being in this episode, and he just happens to be a jerk off with Mikey. They were both jerk offs. That's why Mike went and picked him up, and they would and did all this dumb ass you know, deliver this sealed package type shit.
Speaker 5: You're right, here's a jerk off. I do agree with you there. However, I think that there's this, and I may be wrong. I ain't saying I am, but there's this thing throughout the series as to what he looks up to Mikey. Yeah, sure like, and he looks at him as this figure as to where I have to please him and do all of these things right in his presence.
Speaker 2: And that's what I was speaking to in that sence. Okay, Right, did you like the basketball stuff? No? I mean, well, I want, I wanted to because I love I mean, I love me some John burnhal. I'm just waiting for him to disappoint me. Like there's a video of him saying nigger or something. I might I might still think it's okay, honestly, but he was on your list of okay white man. I was just thinking that Nick, he kind of is on my list of the white dudes that could say it. And I wouldn't be that mad. But you got to do the context. Yeah, what you disagree? Agree?
Speaker 3: Know, I'm agree.
Speaker 8: I'm like, I think he might get a pass.
Speaker 2: He can say, he can say negro, he can't say no.
Speaker 5: He on that cary if I seen it, if I seen him hooping and it slipped out one time.
Speaker 2: He might be all right. It might be.
Speaker 1: Were recording the basketball things ed out that come out one time.
Speaker 2: It's fine. Yeah, was filing man. At least he was like just wrapping like words to like a rap song and he said the N word.
Speaker 1: I'd be like, I mean, you know, deal he was listening to, uh some hip hop?
Speaker 2: Was it a tang? He definitely loves mutang. Oh, he loves He definitely loves me. But I don't know, man, I mean he was being a little aggressive on the court and it felt weird, but it wasn't a bad scene. It was fine. Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: The court.
Speaker 6: I don't really like the court scene like that, honestly, that you could they could have left that out a little more.
Speaker 2: It did. It did feel a little forced because they because of Richie. It because Richie. It didn't feel forced to me because of Minkey. Because they won. When you think them too motherfuckers baseball. Yeah yeah, I think John burn By himself that smoked all of it, himsel.
Speaker 5: That's why I feel forced because they won, like they them two black dudes were supposed.
Speaker 2: To beat the ship out of there. You crazy, You crazy John. They had Jean Zone. I don't care to me. This is J. B.
Speaker 1: Spike.
Speaker 4: That motherfucker man you put up to the court and jeans is you are bad mother if you if you lose to a basketball game to a nigga named Ebon, I.
Speaker 1: Was surprised when he was like, man, shut your bitch ass up, like they really took a lot of Yeah, they took a lot of ship for them to be locals and for some strange white men up like that even though they were.
Speaker 2: Drinkish. I did. That wouldn't have been good for those little young brothers though, because burn thought would handle them. That's the punisher. Y'all know what y'all talk about. Man, Yeah, that's shame. Yeah, come on, now, that is shame.
Speaker 9: You would love to have more content from Frames per second. Become a patron where you can contribute to what we review and discuss. Our Patreon gives the listeners the power to nominate and vote a monthly discussion and film review, while also nominating and voting on weekly solo reviews from each cast member. You also get the opportunity to vote on the publicly released anniversary film, all exclusive to our Patreon. So become a patron at Patreon dot com frames per second, where there are two tiers you can choose from. That's Patreon dot com forward slash frames per second.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they did that. You know, they were trying to come up with names for the baby. Uh you know you like that scene or something. Rock No, I didn't like that.
Speaker 3: And I didn't like that.
Speaker 2: Okay, damn you like that.
Speaker 1: You talk like that, right, I didn't think anybody would like it, So I was just gonna move on.
Speaker 2: But what do you like about it? Rock No?
Speaker 3: I like. I like when shows and things do that.
Speaker 6: Man, when they showed like these little nuggets on how something something came about or whatever.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I like that they showed that particular part. That's it.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about so there's this whole sign and then they spend you know, after we see him on these adventures on the road or whatever, playing basketball, talking to this hot dog owner or whatever. Then they go to this he has his sogn and he gets out the car and then they go in this bar. Thoughts on the bar scene, because it seemed like they've been running this sort of like con owned woman at places for a while, with him being a backup goalie that never gets in the game and Richie, you know, Mikey kind of goes along with it, and then Richie is in the bar having himself a blast, which you know, so what you guys think about this whole scene and then eventually Mikey getting in there and his whole interactions with the woman.
Speaker 2: Before we get to like the bathroom scene.
Speaker 1: And did y'all believe the story about him shitting down his parts rod this?
Speaker 3: I feel like this part lasted a really long time.
Speaker 6: I feel like when I say they could have chopped some of this out, this is where I felt like they could have chopped some of it out, Like like it just.
Speaker 3: It just was going on too long.
Speaker 6: It's like, we get it, all of these stories he's telling, like it just seemed like a lot. And then but but I do like where we ended up with, you know, showing just how unstable Mikey was or whatever. So I do like how it led up to that moment, and I think that is the moment that was like the payoff for me giving everything.
Speaker 3: That was going on in the scene.
Speaker 1: Sorry, yeah, what about you, Nick, Like, do you feel like this lasted too long? Or did this was like they needed all of this to kind of to the end of what Rob was saying to build up to the final moment, which is what the episode is about.
Speaker 4: I think, yeah, I do agree with Rod to that point at the end of it, But I feel like it was also just like once we got past the basketball scene, it was like, Okay, I was just getting used to like seeing them casually just be charming and having interactions with different people, Like, like you mentioned earlier, we were at a diner before when they were talking to the lady, the owner of that. It just kind of was like rich and mikey on the day, you know, like we're just gonna have fun with this again. We'll get to the other part later, but I did find this bar part very interesting as far as like how they work off each other, Like sometimes Richie's the start of the show and sometimes Mike's quiet, and then sometimes it's vice versa. I kind of like how they both can they were allowing each other kind of just act a little bit. I like that, And then it went left after that, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Mike, did you like the way they kind of did this, Like Richie is in there just having himself a blast. Everybody loves him. He's really disarming to a lot of people. He's basically taken over the whole bar, like it's his joint, Whereas you have Mikey who's in the restroom and he's really kind of pouring himself into the stranger that he just met, and he's revealing like all of these dark sort of secrets and feelings that he that he had. Did you like how they kind of did this sort of contrast between the two.
Speaker 2: I did. I did like this because I mean, I can see why Mikey would do this because he doesn't feel comfortable telling the people at home what's going on with him, because he's supposed to be the man. But he meets some random woman in a bar and you're doing a couple of lines of coke, doing a couple of shots. I get it. That's usually how it goes down. You don't want to talk to your friends about certain things, but you can definitely talk to a stranger because there's there's only so much judgment you can get from them because you're not going to see him again after this. So I do agree with I forget which one of y'all said it went on a little bit too long. I do agree with that the show does have a tendency to do that, because I mean it does try to like drop you into reality and just kind of leave you there for a while. But this did go on a little bit too long for me. But once they got into the bathroom, they started doing lines, and I liked the fact that it didn't get sexual, you know what I mean, Like I thought they were just going to go back there, do a line or two and just fuck and that was gonna be the thing. But I liked how instead they were in the stall and he's pouring his heart out, you know what I mean. I enjoyed this.
Speaker 1: What about you, Nate, did you like how vulnerable he was and were you surprised that he was really saying all this stuff to somebody he just met.
Speaker 7: Yes and no, like some Mike's it's like, to Mike's point, like it's easier to kind of steal your guts out to a stranger.
Speaker 3: So I wasn't.
Speaker 7: I think I knew that they had said that he had a drug problem, but I don't think I realized it. And I think, again, this is why I liked the episode, because it reminded it kind of prepped me and kind of got me back into.
Speaker 8: The world and helped me to kind of remember things without doing the whole recap type situation.
Speaker 7: But no, I enjoy once he got in the bathroom with the girl and started talking, and you get an idea of I think, rise to how unstable he is, how troubled he seems, to the fact that you can express all of this to a stranger to me says you're emotionally detached to the people in your community. So I think that it was it kind of opened your eyes to why he ended the way he ended, or it helped you at least understand how he got to where we know he.
Speaker 8: Got to based on what we know the story already.
Speaker 3: So No, I liked.
Speaker 7: That giving that without being so on the nose, like, yeah, this this he really did have problems.
Speaker 2: Did he have a dream? I don't remember. Yeah, they said they had a pill problem.
Speaker 6: Forget that, his mother, his mother and stuff like, I think that's what it's great.
Speaker 2: No I was speaking specifically to the drug problem. I guess I forgot that part. I was gonna say.
Speaker 5: Even beyond that, they said they continuously hinted to him having appeal problem and taking painkiller drugs.
Speaker 2: In this episode or before before ye I need to watch.
Speaker 5: And I think that's one of the things that made this scene so great for me, in the sense of it takes me back to the Thanksgiving episode when he can't let it go, when the guy and his mom is Dayton and he's just like, he has to make it a thing. Yeah, and this scene, I think directly ties into that. And this is what makes this stuff really good and building to the law of this world because yeah, it's a one off scene he's doing coke in the bathroom with this lady, but we see it play out in episodes that we've already seen and he's a dead character. So I think they did this really well because it directly ties into stuff we've seen and we're like, damn, why he wild out liked that, Like it wasn't it serious? But to him it was that serious because he was battling with addiction.
Speaker 2: Oh you didn't think it was because Richie came into cop blocking. No, I'm talking about later on. I'm talk about the nine.
Speaker 5: On the Father in Law when he was like when he couldn't let it going through the fork out of the ship.
Speaker 2: This scene, to me tied directly into that into this I think.
Speaker 1: He was so mad because he was because he was actually having a chance to express himself.
Speaker 2: And is that why.
Speaker 1: He got upset with with Richie and then flipped out on him nets because we can go and move transition to the net scene, because you know, he got really, really, like physically and visibly angry with Richie when he came in and Richie was about business. Richie was like, yo, like we gotta go, Like this is why we're here, and you're in here in this place that you told me you didn't even want to come in here at all.
Speaker 2: Yet you're in here and you don't want to leave.
Speaker 1: So was it the instability of him or was it? Was it something deeper?
Speaker 7: I took the instability yet like not so much that I'm finally expressing myself and I'm magic to stop me as.
Speaker 8: Much as I am expressing myself.
Speaker 7: And now I'm wrong and now I'm worked up, and now I'm emotional, and I don't have any place to put those emotions, like when you are in.
Speaker 8: A space where you're actually spill, like spilling out how I feel.
Speaker 7: Means I actually am feeling it, and what am I doing with them feelings? So I think it was just an explosion that happened because he's actually feeling stuff and actually acknowledging some of the issues that he's dealing with, and now he needs someplace to place it, and Richie just happened to be his punching bag for that moment.
Speaker 1: RRI that the the way he started talking. He was speaking very glowingly about you know, Richie and he's going to be a great dad. Were you surprised that it went as dark and left as it did?
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 3: I was. I was like, man, what is happening?
Speaker 6: I thought I blanked out for a minute, Like what, Like how did it you know what I'm saying? How did it change? Like I'm like, what, this is crazy? I've been flipping man. But but but yeah, man, this was probably one of the one of the most impactful scenes for me. Like I was just like, yo, this is this is some wild ship or whatever. So yeah, I'm sure you know, And like I said, it just it just spoke to the character that we all always heard about and like I think Spike is spot on with like how it kind of ties back to what we saw of him in that Thanksgiving scene.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I was. I was shocked. I was shocked how how lips so fast?
Speaker 6: Like ship Mikey was he I mean not Mikey, but what's the name of suck too? Like hey, going on, it's just just this whole expression. He didn't even know how to how to take it, like yeah, man, but it was great. The acting here was amazing, Like man, this was this was superb backing right here.
Speaker 5: In fact, and I think it trickles down from not even the Thanksgiving episode, but even to when you're talking about the Bear and how he deals with conflict and the things that he was going through when he got locked in that freezer, always saying yes, good point his girlfriend. Like it shows like this is a family trait, like they do this. They do this when they are.
Speaker 2: Hot, in high stress environments.
Speaker 5: They do this when they are faced with like it's this thing or it's that thing and you have to pick the right thing, and they.
Speaker 2: Don't do it. They going to low.
Speaker 5: They going low every time, to quote Michelle Obama, they going low every time. And this was good in painting that out for like the whole family, not just sing as this is the bear and this is how he reacts. But you've had that Thanksgiving episode you have this episode and you see this is a family thing and how they react to stuff.
Speaker 2: Mike and Nick. Any any thoughts on this the scene go ahead? Yeah, I just I didn't know where where it came from. I was not I mean, it wouldn't be the Bear if it didn't get a little dark. I wasn't expecting this because it seemed like they were having a good time. But at the same time, Mikey was on edge the whole time. And I'm still not all the way sure why. I guess Despite's point it's the drugs. I just didn't think about drugs. But the way he talked to Richie in that moment, I was just like Jesus Christ. This felt uncomfortable to think about. His mom did that too, Mike Well, yeah, but his mom is, like I said, I wasn't working about it. I wasn't thinking about him being a drug addict. His mom did that because his mom is an alcoholic and she's got mental problems. I don't remember the details about Mikey and his problems. I just don't remember. So I wasn't expecting all this.
Speaker 5: Not even to say about Mikey specifically his problems, but just the family as a whole. They have a there's a trend of them doing this, like when you had the bear stuck in the freezer and Clara was listening to him and snapping on her like it's a thing that their family does when they get in these positions that they have to overreact.
Speaker 2: But that's what I'm saying. I didn't see what the position was, like, what was the big deal? Why was he bugging out like this? I got why why KRMEI bugged out? He was locked in a freezer and he was panicking because of the restaurant Mikey in this moment, I don't know what's going on with him.
Speaker 5: I take it because he's looking at it as I'm the guy, and you've came in here and you've held court and all of these people are looking at you like you're the guy when I'm supposed to be the guy.
Speaker 2: It's very minuscule. It's small. It's small. But I think that goes to play into the character that they presented.
Speaker 5: Him as in, you can't go in the room and outshine me, and you've done that, and now I got to make you look like I made you look.
Speaker 4: But it was but even even with that Loue because I understand what you're saying. But even then, like the story that Richie told was the story that was like an embarrassing story, and it was big enough.
Speaker 3: Mikey, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: It was just kind of like, right, he's the one that people.
Speaker 2: Are responding to you versus responding to me.
Speaker 4: And I was again, I'm in my mind, I'm going back to like Mikey sees him really outgrowing him also because he's about to have a kid, like he's about to move on with his life. He's already married, like, and I think Mikey's like, I got to make sure it reminds you that you still underneath me no matter what.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So it's just I was shocked that he would do that to a friend who literally just picked him up. But at the same time, like this this is does fall in line with his character and.
Speaker 2: We find we learned that Oh so now, OK, I was gonna say.
Speaker 7: To Mike's but I think we understand I took that at this point in time, like the restaurant is probably failing him too, which is why he has to do these runs.
Speaker 3: So to Mike's.
Speaker 8: Point of him being on edge, the entire episode.
Speaker 7: Like, I'm gonna assume the fact that he still has to do this illegal type stuff to make ends meet is probably annoying him too. So I got the impression that he's just stressed out. He's getting it out in the bathroom a little bit to old girl, and now we just have a blow up.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I'm seeing here that the events of Gary takes place after Fishes, which is the Christmas episode. Yeah, and you know the displaying Mikey struck as a date January eleven, twenty nineteen, and of course Mikey died by suicide February twenty second, two twenty too. But we also found out that that Mikey, they say, never called the guy and Mikey fucked up this whole thing, and that his phone was dead. So I don't know what to make of that, Like maybe he was enjoying spending time with Richie and wanted to hold on to it kind of maybe to one of you guys's point, Uh, maybe I think that you were just saying that, uh, he's about to lose him and they're on this trip and they wanted to have a good time.
Speaker 2: And he made the CD and he didn't want to enjoy the CD.
Speaker 1: But then he's having fun with the CD and he's having such a good time that he was holding on to this, uh to this last moment that he felt that they were going to have together. So uh, you know, Richie slaps him reluctantly at first, and then I guess he kind of really started to get angry about what was happening. And then uh, they went to do the meat and apparently it's just some pumpmpillars that apparently just rotate, is what he said. So anything to make about that, Like it seemed like they were delivering something that it sounded like it was supposed to be. We're thinking something other than that, but it's just propellers.
Speaker 2: I don't know what to make of that. Is that really what it was or were they just saying that, I can't that's what he ever saw it.
Speaker 4: I thought that's what it was. Like, we think it's something different, but it's just something basic. I was looking at as like me thinking real maybe deeply about it, that this was probably going to be the beginning of the end of their friendship, and just he just ended up dying before it actually ended, you know, And I think that's what Richie was probably sad about the most throughout this series, is that, again, you just don't always know how you're gonna end things with somebody, and he was a big part of his life, and I think he just felt like he had more time to end it on a proper note.
Speaker 1: Well, the ending of this episode after the big fight, which I think was the one of the big moments, but you know, they never made it back by five fifteen because they got stuck by the train and one of the guys at the restaurant was telling them about that damn trained Ritchie.
Speaker 2: Mikey tries to make it up by playing.
Speaker 1: The CD, and I guess to your point, Nick, it does seem like it's the beginning of the end because Richie threw the damn CD album, so yeah, and he didn't make it home in time. So Mikey just really messed everything up because that was big for him. Even though he didn't believe in the superstition, his wife believed in it, and it was enough for him to make sure that he was there for her regardless of how he felt about the superstition. And uh, and then there's a t bone, which I don't remember you guys remember anything about the t bone in in the Bear.
Speaker 2: No, because it hadn't happened yet. Okay, that's how I took it at least.
Speaker 1: Oh so this is like in the present when he got it, got it, got it right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's how I took it.
Speaker 4: Like he was just like him reminiscent over that and then like you know, you in traffic and Chicago traffic is I'm not surprised, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, then we'll shick up this season with Okay, you're in a coma for half the season. Well, this is probably gonna be what makes him and car Me come back together. Oh what what happened?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: I thought somebody said something. M hm yeah. I think they're just.
Speaker 1: Saying, oh wow, yeah, all right, all right, all right, well yeah, you know that's that's pretty much it. So we'll see what happens when we pick up with The Bear the final season of The Bear.
Speaker 2: Any final thoughts before we get out of here.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, I think for me, it was like, I'm not sure where we pick up with this after this episode. Uh, there's a lot of things that I want to see from The Bear. I don't know if they'll executed. We just keep on talking about series finales that have happened, not only just there this year alone, but what's to come. So it's kind of like, I'm interested in in what they're gonna do with Richie, like putting them in a car accident to start off the new season, how they're gonna change his character arc. But I'm excited for I think it's about time that they ended it though, too, So it's a good it's a good.
Speaker 7: Sign excited for the season to just like, dude, did this episode do anything for y'all for for upcoming?
Speaker 2: It was not. Really. It was nice to see.
Speaker 5: It was good to see the actors were good in it. I didn't like, totally hate that they put this out. I am interested in the t bone scene now that this is how we open the next season, especially based off what we saw the last season. You had the argument out back with Karen and Richie and what's uh push the other hif name?
Speaker 4: Damn, you forgot the black chef out of everybody, the black woman too, what's her name?
Speaker 2: What's her name? Exactly? Exactly?
Speaker 5: See, So I think that them making a pivot from that conversation to now we got a t bone with this character. Is interesting because I really wanted to see it pick up from where they left off last season.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: So you think it was like a food pun? Yes? All, alright, no, no, no, no, I would be serious. Hold on to answer Nate's question, this does not get me excited for the next season. It doesn't get me unexcited. I don't think this this episode really did that much. I think that they were trying to go for the remember when Euphoria did it. But I think Euphoria just kind of did it better when they through some weird long episode in between two seasons, The Yeah and The Diner. Then we had The Jewels one, and I think I think those worked a little bit better than this. I don't think this was bad, but I don't think it was amazing. It was fine, It was fine. That's all. Well, all right, Well.
Speaker 1: We'll leave it there, man our review of the Bear of the whole season recap that will be dropping soon, so stay just pay attention to release dates and all that, and we'll catch you guys next time we off.
Speaker 2: Peace. Peace,