Speaker 1: And with that, welcome to the first of our five guests that join us on the Andy Moore Automotive Group Hotline.
Speaker 2: That would be Day First.
Speaker 1: You know him and love him from his tenure at Channel six obviously these days in the VP of Communications role for Indy Car, and he joins us. Now, Dave, Hello, I hear you have a new car that's worth bragging about.
Speaker 3: It sounds like Bob Barker.
Speaker 4: Come on down.
Speaker 3: That's right, got a new car.
Speaker 1: The sticker price a little more, sticker price a little more than what Bob would.
Speaker 2: Talk about on the show back in the day.
Speaker 1: I know you could deal with some rain, maybe not as much rain as you had to. Overall, how the weekend.
Speaker 3: Go, I would say it went pretty well. Granted I'm coming to you from a private pretty much a biased opinion, but you know, Saturday, I leave it up to the drivers, right. And then two things when it comes to that, we could go ask Friday when they first saw the new NTT Indy Car Series car that will debut in twenty twenty eight, IR twenty eight, that's what we're calling it, IR Indie Racing, Mendi Car Racing twenty eight. The first time a lot of the drivers saw it in person at the Delara facility in Speedway and you would have thought that, you know, you literally it was called Christmas morning. These guys are walking in, could not you know, wait to get in the car. They were super excited to see it, impressed with the way it looks. And then Saturday Alexander Rossi had a chance to get in it for a couple hours. We're kind of dodging the rain drops, but you know, he turned on almost forty laps in the car and you know, Rake, I know you've been around Alexander Rossi. How many times have you seen Rossie smile about right?
Speaker 1: He thought exactly a giddy sort of fella, Yeah, I get that correct?
Speaker 3: Correct. So he got out of the car and then caught up with the media afterwards. I mean, he couldn't have been more complimentary of the car build obviously, of the goals that Breay collaboratively speaking, the drivers were all involved in, so they all knew that, but just to be able to drive the car for the first time, to feel it for the first time. He had a lot of really nice things to say about what the twenty twenty eight car is going to look like, and then yesterday Alex Palou had an opportunity to get in the car again turned about forty laptures so all of it was in the wet though, so he had set of Firestone firehawks on burned through those. I mean, those things basically looked like slicks by the time he was done with them. But he too, I think he came out and said, guys, they have an announcement to make. We're going to be raising the new car next year, which so I mean, it's very rare when you get all the drivers to say nice things about anyone or anything. You know, right now they're in love with the car, and for good reason too. It's been a great start to this or twenty eighth the era, all.
Speaker 1: Right, So with that, obviously, I know the last new car was twenty twelve. How long has the the R and D process been going to get us to this point where at least the car made it's on track debut this weekend. When did truly this process start to get us here?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean it's been a couple of years really, from drawings to concept to you know, what do you hope to accomplish with a new car? What's what's the next step. You know, then you got to work to get partners involved and then their supplier partners, some of which are brand new to IndyCar, that are involved in this car. So it's not an overnight process whatsoever. You know. I know fans probably would would have loved to have seen something new a little bit before.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: I get that. I think we all get that. But it is a process and the result of which, again to the drivers and a lot of the supplier partners that have been involved with than a lot of our aerodynamsis and the engineers on the IndyCar side, on the Dollara side, everyone's you know, very bullish about what they've created.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: So the next obviously you're a little busy the next five weekends, uh, six races and five weekends to close out the schedule with the fort just a tad uh and the weekend off got canceled for the best reason possible to race around the streets of our of our nation's capital. What is likely the next on track activity for the IR twenty eight Well.
Speaker 3: That's a great question. So because all of Palo's running on Sunday was basically in wet weather, conditions. We've convinced him. And the nice thing is he lives in Idianapolis. We've convinced him for a couple of hours tomorrow afternoon in the dry so obviously you see the weather forecast, we're good to go for the next couple of days. And so he's actually going to be back in the car from five to seven tomorrow afternoon on the on the Indianapolis Motors Feedway road course, and which is going to be open to the fans. If you get come down you want to hang out and turn two on the mounds like May did over the weekend, there's an opportunity to do that as well. And you don't have to bring an umbrella.
Speaker 1: Knock on wood, yes, get good to know, all right, So with that, that's go ahead, go ahead. I was gonna say, with with the you and I are not are broadcasters, not engineers, so I understand there might be a hand raiser an asterisk.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 1: Explain as best you can the differences in this car compared to what you are currently racing now and have been racing for the last decade plus.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, the thing about the DW twelve is that over the years, you know, the engineers and the Arrow guys have just kept adding some things onto the car, whether it's the aero screen, which you know, Jay Fry, who was the IndyCar president at the time, decided to kind of implement that program, and good on him because it has really made it difference in the safety of these NDT Intercurse series cars. So you to add the aero screen, you add some of the side impact structure structures, you add the hybrid system as well, all that after a while you keep adding more and more weight. So what this car has done automatically is and the engineers have been very thoughtful in all this, is taking weight off. So the new car weighs approximately one hundred pounds less than the current car. That's good. The power to weight ratio is much more in the favor now of drivers, so they can really push these cars beginning in twenty twenty eight and beyond. So with the safety aspects as good, if not better than the current car. You've got a different engine, different power train, and two point four liters so just a little bit more horsepower. Then at that point, what are you going to be talking about. You're talking about maybe the opportunity to break some track records at these including the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. And you know, as much as I love Ari Leindyke, it's been a few years now since Ari broke the track record at Eddie Applismatters Speedway. So you know, in the coming years, I'm not promising. No one in this building's promising twenty twenty eight, But in the coming years, I think you'll be looking at an opportunity to break track records at eid Aplismatterspeedway as well as the other circuits that the series goes on. So it's it's just there are some other handling characteristics for the car that the drivers really like. There's a new damper system, new shock system that all of a sudden, Rossi and Palo both said it feels smoother in the car, so that was another goal. The driver ability, the raceability of these cars are changing a little bit, so you know, the overall goal is to take what we think is a really good racing product on the track and try to make it even better. So far, so good. When it comes to.
Speaker 1: That again, I'm not sure if that voice the int an introduction day first VP communications of India are obviously long time sportscaster and television voice of WRTV Channel six joining us here, It's the ride without JMB Greg Reikshaw filling in ninety three to five and one seven to five the fan. Let's now get to the present day again. Six races, five weeks and I look forward to every weekend on the Indy Car Circuit. And you know that's a legitimate statement. I'm not trying to bypass Portland or you know, a new venue for your guys on the outskirts of Toronto in Markham. But there is this thing called racing around our nation's capital that you guys will be doing in two and a half weeks. Race on the twenty third. Just your thoughts on the opportunity presented of the series to race in downtown Washington, d C. To celebrate America's two hundred and fiftieth birthday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and let's let's be upfront about that. The purpose of Indiecar going to Washington, d C. For the freedom to fifty Grand Prio at Washington, d C. Is that that is what this is all about, is celebrating America as a two hundred and fiftieth birthday, and it's going to be everything I've heard on the planning side it's going to be nuts. Fox is going to come on. They're going to do about an hour and a half long pre race show leading into the broadcast, which will happen about one o'clock on that Sunday. I've been told there are more flyovers than any race in the history of automobile world. So maybe a little hyperbole there, but it's, you know, it's everything that you think a race like this in Washington, d C is going to be all about. I think it's going to be a little bit of that and more. Again, Fox broadcast is going to be on top of it, as they've been for the last year and a half. I think the racing product is going to be pretty good. I think you're in the next hour or so you're going to hear about increasing some of the lap count for the DC race, that we can hit that two hundred and fifty mile an hour spot as well. So it's going to be it's going to be phenomenal and it ends in the heart of the championship chase right for the twenty twenty six championship, although Alex Pollow hopes it's not a part of that. You know it doesn't heat up when it comes to the championship for him, but it's going to be a stretch for sure, and DC is going to be one of those highlights.
Speaker 1: I realized it's a fair statement to say, hey, let's complete the first one before we talk about a second one. And this is just nobody's listen. This is two old friends talking. What do you think the likely of going back to d C again next year might be?
Speaker 3: Well, we keep calling it at first of its kind race in d C, and I think when it comes to the way it looks this year, certainly it is that. Now whether or not you know there's an opportunity down the road to do something more in DC, we're going to see. I do know the Mayor's office has been extremely helpful in putting this together. They've fallen in love with the NTT IndyCar series, So we'll see. I mean, no promises, but it's been a really good collaborative event to put on. Or it's certainly the folks at the White House or the Mayor's Office, we've all been incredibly pleased by the way this thing's coming together. So we'll see. That's that's the honest answer. There Greg.
Speaker 1: Now, normally when I see Dave, it's not like the Motor Speedway because he's like busy and I'm kind of busy. Hold up of somewhere in the pagoda as well. Our offices are on different floors. You just had a Carmel sporting event, so I know you're spoken for the next five weekends. I assume the next time on Will See You will be for Pike Carmel week four September the eleventh, sometime around there.
Speaker 3: Correct, there's a Yeah, there's a good champ. I've got two now at Carmel High School, so and I've got one that's on the dance team as well. So yes, it's always funny to see you at Carmel football games and Krmel basketball games are My question for you is who's going to be hot right now in six A football? Keeping an eye on Kyle.
Speaker 2: Nett and Ripple.
Speaker 1: Join me at four o'clock because today is the first day of practice. But I will repeat what I said to start the show this. I use the word giddy about Alexander Ross, which doesn't go together. I think there are six potential state championship teams in six A locally, this year, Carmel being one of them. That's how good I think six A football is locally. So I'm fired up for the start of the season.
Speaker 2: How about that.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be a good season. It's going to be a good basketball season. And look forward to seeing you at the Carmel games and other high school games around the area as well. The countdown is on. I love this time of year. Greg, I know you do too.
Speaker 1: You got it, buddy, Thanks the time. I appreciate you anytime.
Speaker 3: Man, you sound good. Have a great day.
Speaker 2: Thanks brother Dave.
Speaker 1: First again, VP communication VINDI kard again. He just broke a little news. Maybe he was already out on social But in case you missed it, and in case you don't want to fight the rain showers the last couple of days, they're going to give Alex Poalow another go in the IR twenty eight tomorrow from five till seven, and the same south end spectator mounds, the track that are normally open are going to be open. IndyCar fans, gear heads, there's like a Ferris Bueller rant that I could launch into. Johnny better at that than me. You're gonna have a chance to see Alex in the New Car again tomorrow from five until seven. Soccer Saturday this week had a little bit of tape as like all of it the indye eleven and Caleb knows as well. You know, if Eddie Garrison has got a senior from his days of hosting Soccer Saturday, maybe it's Caleb.
Speaker 2: Zuvert is really really what.
Speaker 1: His uh what his name should be as we try to give everybody a one name, pronounce it. You know, there was Zada, now there's Zuvert. That's the way this works from a soccer standpoint. But the India have been played Friday night nine o'clock in San Antonio. They didn't play very well. They got beat three to one by San Antonio. But I gave coach McCauley, who is an absolute champ and an absolute pro. Hey, Bud, I can call you right after them and we'll knock this out because they're like flying back at nine.
Speaker 2: Am from San Antonio.
Speaker 1: Said, or I can call you like at seven thirty in the morning, which I think is like six thirty Central time. Which one do you want to go is call me after the match. So literally fifteen minutes after the match is over, I'm knocking out that interview, and I'm pointing. So those of you that are watching, Hello, I'm in a studio that's over there. And as soon as I walk in and do I see it's Mick Tendrow doing Fever coverage because they had the late night game on Friday night in Portland.
Speaker 2: Who joins us?
Speaker 1: Now you don't have your fancy reading glasses on for the zoom cameras, Mick, I don't.
Speaker 6: Greg.
Speaker 7: I appreciate you having me on, but I'm just wondering, what would my name be if you're going through these different names?
Speaker 6: How we sizing this one out to Dronius.
Speaker 2: They're a little doubt about that.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 1: I'll print I'll print the ball State women's soccer jersey for you with your name on it, the whole nine yards. How late were you in here Friday night into Saturday morning?
Speaker 7: It was probably one thirty by the time we walked out, So nothing too late, to be honest, Greg, for a game that started that late.
Speaker 1: That's what we call a cults postgame show. For those night games, I get to avoid that in the preseason. We only have a couple of night games this year. But for the Week two game against the Chiefs, and for the Thursday night game against the Texans, that is a two thirty sign off that I get to have on those nights.
Speaker 6: At least it's not three o'clock.
Speaker 1: It's true, although I tell you the one time that I'm like, we're frankly going to completely miss our window and I don't care was Peyton's comeback game in twenty thirteen, and we could have taken phone callers. So the morning Shore started at six am, people would have still called the show. But that's a different time and a different day, all right. Fever lose yesterday to the Lanks. Again, there's no shame in that. Minnesota is clearly the best team in the league. What do the Fever learn from that the next time those two teams cross paths?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Greg, I think that's a really good question, and ultimately one if there's a way to slow down on what the Links are doing offensively, which is really tough to do, the best way to do it is to try and score more points than them, it sounds like, but at the end of the day, with what the Fevers saw on that first game, I truly think it comes down to just seeing what they can do to stop everybody outside of Olivia Miles, because Miles was going to get her points regardless of what else happened. So the supporting cast around here her around her also did really well. So what can everybody else do to slow the rest of the core down?
Speaker 6: For the Links?
Speaker 7: And the Links are really just stout offensively and defensively. Gregar the second best offense and defense, the league best record. All that indicates that. So I think for the last two games that they'll play them, which is ironically the last two games of the regular season in late September, there's a lot of time to let this marinate. And Briagos, who's the analyst for the radio network, had said something I think that will resonate the fever. Who they are today against Minnesota won't be the same tenate they'll be at the end of September against Minnesota. So curious to see what those adjustments look like. But for me, it's really just continuing to see how they can try to slow down that supporting cast of Minnesota and Mick.
Speaker 2: Let's be honest what it's worth.
Speaker 1: The Links are so far out in front those last two games, probably you are not going to see their regulars. Maybe in one of them, but probably not in both of them, because they already have everything they can have wrapped up wrapped up at that point in time. So this may be kind of the only kind of true game conditions that those two teams see each other. It's not exactly breaking news that, Hey, the Fever are as good to a team offensively as they might in the league. Defensively, they could use some work. I pointed out a couple of times trade deadlines done. You have who you have on this team. How does Stephanie White's team get better on the defensive end with fourteen games in the regular season left to go.
Speaker 6: Greg, I really think some of this comes down to pace of place.
Speaker 7: So when you look at the defensive numbers against the Fever, some of it has to do with the pace of which Indiana is playing on offense, or the highest scoring team in the league, they have the bickest pace out of anybody. I think part of it has to do with the pace of play, But everything else I think is just continuing to off of made shots.
Speaker 6: And Coach White talk about this too. Off of made shots.
Speaker 7: Can they go back and get back on defense faster or trying to slow things down for that, and I think that's probably the biggest key outside of the pace of play, because Indiana's not afraid within the first six seven seconds to go out and get a shot. Kelsey Mitchell drives down the lane, passes out hit somebody. So I think the pace has something to do with it. But at the end of the day, yeah, off of made shots, what does that defense settle back into You.
Speaker 1: Used to seeing athletics at a pretty high level, doing the ball state games for a variety of sports. You and I had a version of this conversation right as you were kind of getting started doing this back in May. Now that we're three months in, what is it like to be you don't travel road with the team, but you're at every home game. What's it like to kind of have a front row seat to the show that is Indiana Fever basketball.
Speaker 7: Greg gets an honor like, it's so much fun just to be in the middle of it. Seventeen thousand plus at game Bridge every home game, and the focus, the energy that the sound of a game day is remarkable. So it's been gratifying and it's been it's been really cool just to meet so many people within the circles of the Indiana Fever Pacers, Sports Entertainment, the crew with you at the.
Speaker 6: Fan and everybody within the radio network.
Speaker 7: It's it's been awesome to engage with the fans and see what being inside the WNBA looks like in this capacity.
Speaker 6: So very grateful for it.
Speaker 7: And I've learned that the passion is it runs really deep, and people care and they want to see this Fever team grow and succeed. And hey, Greg, they're right there again with four thirteen games left in the regular season, which is hard to believe. At this point, they still have a chance to go see some home games, which is which is really exciting.
Speaker 1: People aren't tuning in the listening to United discuss politics. There's other outlets for this, So I guess I will couch this question this way. Clearly, there's more than just basketball that gets asked at postgame press conferences. There's more than just basque ball that shows up in terms of fans in the arena, out of the arena, around Caitlin Clark, around Sophie Cunningham, or around the league in general at these days. How has this group done? And I would say about their record, they've done a pretty good job so far. How has this group done in terms of kind of putting the distractions to one side and just focusing on playing the game when it comes to tip time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it sounds like just from what they talk about and how they operate, they make sure the basketball is the main focus within the locker room. And Kelsey Mitchell is kind of the perfect example of the person who says, all I is ball, all I want to talk his ball and just be about basketball. And obviously she's working on our PhD as well, so that's an added thing for her right now. But at the end of the day, it seems like the locker room and the team and the camaraderie has it focused on let's make sure we're taking care of basketball and lean into that as much as possible. So I think, Greg, I think they're just going back to whatever is happening outside is outside, and they've stuck to the inside inside basketball right now.
Speaker 1: The Fever's a nice side hustle summer gig for you. My guess is that shirt's got a ball State logo on it somewhere does as the ball State season is about to begin, looking forward to Ohio State coming up in.
Speaker 2: A few weeks.
Speaker 7: Yeah, man, can you believe that we are almost thirty days to kick off where the Cardinals at Schumann Stadium nicknamed the Shoe as well, we'll go to the other Shoe in Columbus. So it's exciting that we're almost thirty days out in camp.
Speaker 6: Can you believe this? Greg camp starts on Thursday.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, so we're right there to where we'll be talking fall camp and football coverage every single day. So really excited to see what it brings. But man, oh man, I can't believe it. Once you get to about mid July, the itch to have football season returning hits very quickly. I don't know if you've got that, but I had it pretty early in July this year, and now we're getting close.
Speaker 1: I had a weekend off more or less this week, and even though I saw you here working like an eleven thirty.
Speaker 6: On f you were off that week.
Speaker 2: In my mind, that's an off weekend. Yeah. I'm ready for football. I'm there and I've had the pleasure.
Speaker 1: Not as much as you, but I've been around coach Yremovich, big fan of him, so I know good things there. Let's get to Chris kpco just because you and I haven't had this conversation, and let's the proof is in the putting two or three months from now. Early impressions the new ball State men's basketball coach.
Speaker 6: He's been fantastic.
Speaker 7: Greg come in in job of focusing on the community, the recruiting side of things, and building a squad that fits the modern day of college basketball. And one thing that really sticks out is he's still in players, Greg, and that's pretty late in the process, but he just signed somebody from I played at USC and vayderbuilt in the past six foot nine athleticism and length and was a part of gold medal teams and playing with other groups.
Speaker 6: So I think when you look at what he's built.
Speaker 7: And the staff that he's compiled, it's a very unique group and one that I think will will have really good athleticism on the wings. How do you live to a school of the basketball and everybody wants to play fast, But can you build a roster that's conducive to that?
Speaker 6: I think coach CapCo has done it.
Speaker 7: But more so than anything else, there's the way he's embraced the community. There was a meet and greet event with him a couple of weeks ago within the community and at the Cardinal Varsity Club, and what he talked about there was trying to build a roster that the community is proud of, and roster that will make ball State fans proud every time to step out there. And one thing that you hear when you're talking to people in the college basketball world is what kind of a person coach Kapco is and how he knows everybody.
Speaker 6: Greg go Sheriff's story.
Speaker 7: We did around the world segments with our basketball team, and you'll learn something about the journey for each of these players.
Speaker 6: Well one of them.
Speaker 7: kJ Parker transfers in from UMass knows the Mac pretty well, but he knows Coach CapCo better. He's like, basically, I came out of the womb and Coach Kapko is a part of my life and now he's coaching him at the collegiate level. So when you have dictions like that that have stayed in touch and now come full circle and you're getting a sharpshooter in within the conference to transfer to your school, that's going to make a difference. He just has that type of relationship with every single player he's brought in and Aaron Fine transferring from produced set at best. He and his staff vetted every single player like it not just like okay, what do you want this, this, and this, It's like we're vetting you as the person first, and then go down the list of all right, we'll see about scholarships, payments, all this different stuff. It's vetting them as a person first. That I found that very unique, and Coach Kapko has made sure that he's held to that from day one, and I think.
Speaker 6: It's already starting to show within the players he's brought in.
Speaker 2: All right, fine thing Fororey. Let you go.
Speaker 1: I have attended many football games at Shuman's name over the years. I have never broadcast a game at the Shoe. That streak ends on remember the fourteenth with the Mo Non Bell game. So I guess from a ball State perspective, it's this unique confluence of circumstances. Normally, you're not celebrating two schools coming to play at your place, and you're not in it. But because of the tradition of the game, and again because of the pause stadium construction, and we've got midweek maction that time of year, all the boxes kind of check what's the ball State perspective on hosting that game?
Speaker 7: Greg I think it's so great that have the Monon Bell Game in Munsey for multiple reasons, but one of them is just to showcase human stadium in Munsey, Indiana to people who may not normally go to Monthly or ball State for an event or just to see campus. So I think first and foremost, you're bringing in a new audience to see the greatness of the Shuman Stadium experience. And for me, I think when you have that type of a game and atmosphere, you can do it well. And Ball State's going to be involved in the process on game day to make sure that everything goes well and puts a really good product forward. But for me, I'm excited about that more people that haven't necessarily been there before will get a chance to and the rivalry itself, it speaks for what the game is and hopefully it's a really close game and you get to call an excellent, really good football game. But at the end of the day, you're going to see also people from the months of community want to go to the game as well. It's bringing different pockets of the community of Indiana together in a new place, in a neutral place for both of those teams that have never experienced that before. And I think that's I think that's a special thing. And to me, we're all about community and to have that happen at Ball State for a premier rivalry in the state, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: The shoe capacity is what at this point, officially, what is the capacity?
Speaker 7: You know, Greg, the Schumann Stadium capacity that I had seen last was just over fifteen thousand. It's I think it's teetering to sixteen if I remember correctly, So that's about where it's at.
Speaker 6: And I'm guessing.
Speaker 7: I'm guessing there will be over sixteen thousand people in the building for them.
Speaker 1: Well, honestly that games turned about is about ten or eleven thousand that are watching, usually in person, and then a bigger number online. I'm kind of privy to those numbers given what I do in my relationship to the game.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I do think that there'll be folks from you know, alums from that from the eastern part of the state that maybe wouldn't go that normally that now will. And I hope the folks in months you just embrace the game and say, you know what, this is a one time thing. This is not going to happen again. Let's go check this out. I'm hoping that is the case. I'm up against the time. Wise, I'll let you go. Enjoy a few days off, my friend, have fun on Thursday. Hope our pass cross.
Speaker 6: Soom, Greg.
Speaker 7: I appreciate you. Sixteen thousand opening crowd for it when it opened. I think it's actually over twenty two thousand. Okay, I got my numbers mixed up. I believe what it's twenty two thousand.
Speaker 1: That's quite I hope we'll get somewhere between sixteen and twenty two thousand. There you go, see it, You got it. Mick teddro voice of the ball State Cardinals as well Fever pre half in post, joining us here and doing show on the Andy Moore Automotive Group hotline. Stephen Holder ESPN dot com colts reporter joins us now in the Andy Moore Automotive Group Hotline. He's been enjoying somewhat temperate conditions out in Westfield at the Droplight Grand Park Sports Campus, and he joins us now, Hello, my friend, how are you.
Speaker 4: I'm doing well.
Speaker 5: I think I just realized that my screen protector has a crack in it. It's right by the lens. It's right by the lens, So I probably look fractured.
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually you do not.
Speaker 1: You look clear, and next to me, you're going to look great anyway, you know, to worry about. What have we learned through five practices in six days for the Indianapolis Colts so far?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I think they are a team that is a work in progress. But I don't think I've seen a lot of necessarily the ball moving. I don't mean the actual literal ball, but in terms of progress, you know, I don't think they have moved the ball from day one to now a week later. I think they're still trying to figure those things out. But I think we also have seen that there is a fair amount of talent on this team. And as much as there is a lot of pessimism, or at least I guess guarded optimism, extremely guarded optimism, I think there are reminders sometimes of like just the talent that is out there, you know. I think a great example is Sauce Gardner, and I don't believe we really got to appreciate this guy.
Speaker 4: Last year.
Speaker 5: It didn't go well because he wasn't on the field enough, right, But I think you have seen the dominant ability of this guy, and I think when you peer him the Shavarius Ward on the other side, that is going to be a problem for people, I mean a real problem. And there were instances in the last couple of practices where you saw the quarterbacks having to hold the ball a little bit, you know, and that is a that is a direct correlation between those two guys. I would say beyond that, you know, Daniel Jones, outside of having a deal with those two guys, he seems right on the money right now. And I think you if you're buying Daniel Jonestock, if you bought Daniel Jonestock at any point, you probably feel pretty good about it right now right that stocks pointing in the right direction.
Speaker 4: So those are just two examples.
Speaker 5: But I mean I think you know, justin Wally being another they're also you know, there are more than that, But I think those are just a couple of examples of like, hey, there's a path to this team actually being viable this year, but everybody's got to come through.
Speaker 4: That's the trick, you know.
Speaker 1: I really don't think there's all that many position battles to be had. One of them that I think that, again, I'm not sure if it's going to be a battle. I've kind of leaned towards the guys that were taken early in the draft for this team is linebacker. But as I watched today, Steven, there's a lot of rotation in terms of and again the defense is a four to two five, so it's two guys that we're talking about. I guess you're your thoughts on where the coult stand at linebacker right now?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I did notice that, you know, we saw some unfamiliar numbers in there at one point, you know, with the first defense, and I was kind of like, wait, who got out there?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: But I think when it's all said and done, I still believe CJ.
Speaker 4: Allen is there. Mike linebacker.
Speaker 5: Part of what we have to remember because he went out there at some critical moments today, and I think what that boils down to is they're breaking him in slowly after coming off the pup list last week. So I at least I'm going to for now assume thats what is happening unless this continues, you know, for a lengthy period of time. So I think that's what's happening there. They're breaking him in slowly, he's not taking all the first team reps. But they have been very complimentary of him, and you don't get that from lou Anrumo very often with young guys, and he has been in his instance. So I think he's progressing fine and they'll take you know, they'll they'll they'll accept him taking his lumps from time to time, as is always the case with rookies, but I think all in all they feel relatively comfortable with him. That second spot is very much a question for me. I think the most interesting possibility there is Bryce Betcher, Yeah, and him getting a lot of run with the first team over the first week of training camp. I would have been shocked to see it had they not also done it in a mandatory mini camp back in June. That's where we first saw it. And at the time you're kind of like, well, that's interesting. I wonder if it means anything. And now we're seeing it from time to time again and continuously into camp, so it absolutely means something. It absolutely means something, And I think on day one Chris Ballard was asked like, Hey, is there a scenario where you could play two rookie linebackers, Like, is that a little crazy? And his answer was no, I we have done it before, so there's no.
Speaker 4: Trepidation at all.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I think it's very interesting and I think that that's an interesting potential lineup and I'm gonna be watching to see, you know, the other possibly there. They got Davis Gaither from the Cardinals who they signed this offseason. You know, I think when you talk about upside, the upside is with the young guys, right, and I think the remainder of those linebackers are guys who, you know, they maybe are better off as depth pieces potentially, and they may end up being that is what I'm saying, So so we'll see. I think that's that is an interesting spot for sure.
Speaker 1: You know, we talk about like the spine of a defense usually in baseball, you know, the battery pitcher, catcher, second basement, shortstop, center field. Well, kind of similar thing for the Colts is not just the two rookie linebackers probably are a rookie safety behind those guys in Hall see and let's face it, justin Wally is going to be the slot cornerback. He's on a rookie but he's not played a snap in the National Football League. So I guess the follow up to that would be lose system. How does that translate if you've got four guys playing in their first NFL game that are getting to start against the Ravens on September the thirteenth.
Speaker 4: Hold your breath.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, I do think there is that is that is a big element that has to be considered here. Now that being said, they have clearly considered, you know, all of these things and still have decided, I think, to lean a little bit on the younger side. It's pretty clear at this point, like it's not a you know, it's not a situation where they are maybe you know, considering it. I mean, they got rid of a lot of veterans on defense, and they did this with their eyes open, knowing, you know, we don't know who's going to start yet, but they're going to be young. They they committed to that, and it is a very interesting move, you know, with all that we think is happening here behind the scenes, with you know, the coach in GM maybe being well not maybe, but certainly being.
Speaker 4: On the hot seat.
Speaker 5: And so the timing of that decision I think is very interesting. It's bold, but I'm here for it. I mean, I think they definitely needed to shake things up. On defense. They were an old defense, they were slow, that was all true. So I think they did what they had to do. But that comes with to make some pains when you play young guys. So I'm interested to see how that.
Speaker 2: Goes on the flip side. On offense.
Speaker 1: Again, as I said, I don't think there's a position ball on offense. There's just the one kind of overarching question, and I understand how Alec Pierce is doing plays a major factor in this. Is the Colts wide receiver room that we are seeing now, is that the one we're going to see five weeks from now?
Speaker 5: Man well, well hopefully is obviously the addition of Peers course soon. And I would just say before answering your question in more detail, I asked Shan Stechin today, look, do you have any more clarity on the return of Alec Pears And the answer was no. And I know he may, you know, maybe he's just kind of, you know, being a little flippant there or not, you know, not it may not necessarily.
Speaker 4: Be a cause for alarm. I guess is what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: However, I was hoping to hear, well, he's a little closer maybe next.
Speaker 4: Week, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 5: We didn't get that, and hopefully it's just Shane just doing the usual thing with injuries, like I don't know anything, but but.
Speaker 4: Maybe he's not. And I mean, all I can tell you.
Speaker 5: Is back in what May or June, when we talked to Alex Pearis about this, I.
Speaker 4: Came away feeling like, you know, this is.
Speaker 5: Not a small thing, right, and this is maybe a little bit of a bigger deal than we thought. And he allowed at that point saying that, you know, I'm probably.
Speaker 4: Not gonna be ready to start camp. He says it's probably gonna be a couple of weeks.
Speaker 5: And that's from the player, and the player is always optimistic, right, right. So we're starting week two and we have no clarity on Ali Pierce. So that alone is a big is a big issue. Now beyond that, Josh Down's great start. He's killing it. I think he's going to have a huge year. So I feel great about that. And that's about all I got to say about that. So because I just I don't know how you can sleep at night with this receiving core. It's it's not only I think this is actually a good example of what could happen if Downs or Pierce miss a game.
Speaker 4: This is the lineup you're going to have. Your second receiver at.
Speaker 5: That point becomes Ashton Doolan, Lacwan Treadwill, Nick Westbrook, A Kine.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's what you're talking about. And it's no.
Speaker 5: Disrespect to any of those guys, but I mean, we have depth charts for a reason, right and I just think they are living very dangerously at that position. When you have paid your quarterback eighty eight million dollars. My reaction to that is you need to do everything you can to ensure that that investment pays off, because otherwise, what the hell are we doing?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: And I have major, major, major questions about how they're proceeding out wide receiver right now. The feedback I've gotten is that we're one weekend chill out.
Speaker 4: I disagree. I will not chill out.
Speaker 5: I do not think it's too early, and I do not think that I am being too much of an alarmist on this. I think they are really flying too close to the sun there.
Speaker 1: What's available? How do you get help? Is it free agent, is it trade? What are the possibility he's looking like?
Speaker 5: Well, the trade market, I don't know what that looks like yet. I think we we get a better sense of that once we once we see where teams are with their with their rosters and what the numbers look like. And I think we need to get a little bit into the preseason maybe before we know that, but so we'll see the trade The preseason trade market takes a little bit to evolve sometimes, you know. But I think there were a couple of guys that I think were at the top of my list. One was Deebo Samuel. He is no longer available. Correct, Okay, he's gone back to San Francisco. I think he was a good fit for the situation because the guy you lost was Michael Pittman, who was your physical guy, right. Deebo Samuel also a physical guy, high injury rate with him, so I understand the trepidation. The other I think obvious option is Keenan Allen. I have not written that off yet. Keenan Allen and Shane Styken have a very close relationship. It would make sense he knows the offense. He could come in and contribute on day one. Literally, he was much more productive last year than I even realized. And I remember going back recently and thinking, ah, Keenan Allen, he couldn't possibly have done anything last year. And then I went and I looked at it, and the guy caught like seventy balls. So I certainly wasn't paying attention, right, And I think what you get there is plug and play, and this is it's not necessarily a super young group, but I think at least you stabilize it with that veteran presence as well, So that's a bonus. And I think you take some of the heat off of those guys to maybe have to play above their heads, you know, when they're called upon. Some of those guys who are role players. I mean, I think role players need to remain role players. When you ask them to be more, that's when you get in trouble. So Keenan Allen, you can ask him to step up on in a particular Sunday and he can handle it, right. I think that's why you do something like that, So stay tuned. All I can say I think they should make a move personally.
Speaker 1: Steven Older espagn dot Com, All Things Colts, Greg Reichs run for JMB. It's the ride on ninety three to five and one oh seven five the fan, I said, you know what, I'm not sure how many questions I can answer this point in terms of the Colts.
Speaker 2: I said.
Speaker 1: The first one is I think Daniel Jones is going to be fine, as you've touched on. I say the other one that I'm probably maybe most certain on, I think Seth mcgow is going to get some touches for this football team this year, and again in part just because you can't ask JT to play as big of a role as you did a year ago. So let's talk about the young kid from Kentucky and again he's not going to split carries with JT. And he frankly, he's not the official the number two. He and DJ Ginz are still battling for that. What's the role you think McGowan plays for this group this year?
Speaker 5: Well, the first thing I would I would say is I would add to what you just said about about JT. It's not just last year the heavy load. It's frankly, it's two years back back yep load. You know he has been I believe, over three hundred carries both in each of the last two seasons and three hundred carries. Is is kind of the delineating line for me where when you're past that, that's where you're getting into rare air in terms of like mileage. And so he's done that I think three or four times in his career.
Speaker 1: Three so last two years three zero three and three twenty three. His twenty twenty one season three thirty two.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just about every year he's been healthy, he's done it. And you know, it's it's a lot, I think. So I think it's the accumulation that you're worried about. You know, he's held out pretty well, you know, to his credit, but does that continue? That is a fair question. So you are correct. They would like to get somebody going behind him. They would like to get some you know, just I think spelling him from time to time. And then also like if they do get a lead here and there, like they did last year, you want to have somebody that can finish out the games right and have somebody to ice it, you know, in that fourth quarter.
Speaker 4: So I think this is an.
Speaker 5: Important role and I do agree that seth McGowan to me right now, he looks like the guy who has the lead at that spot. What I love about him is it is a north and south affair with him. Okay, he gets the ball, he runs hard first of all, which is kind of like, kind of important at running back obviously, but he runs hard, but he he is north and south. He's a determined runner, and frankly, that's what I want for my backup running back. I want you to just get in there and just go crazy, you know what I mean, just make them have to tackle you. I think that's what you want. Either that or you want the speedster who was just the change of paceback who was just like, you know, one cut and just go and nobody can catch him, you know, or scat back.
Speaker 4: But you want a different style, right, I think you want something of a different style now.
Speaker 5: Jonathan Taylor certainly a physical running back, but I think he's more of a patient running back who's who's waiting for blocks to develop and materialize and runs in a different manner Seth McGowan.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying he won't do.
Speaker 5: That, but he definitely is looking for that one crease and is just trying to get if there's two yards there, He's trying to get two and a half right, and sometimes that's the job, that is the job. I don't think they're looking for that number two spot. The Colts aren't looking for a game breaker. They're just looking for somebody to just get you know, positive, positive yardage right and moved the chains.
Speaker 4: I think Seth McGowan can do that.
Speaker 5: The other thing with him so far, it looks like he is up to handling himself in the passing game, which is a critical part of this DJ Gidden I think the first few days of camp the drops were really noticeable and he did not do himself any favors there.
Speaker 4: So we'll see how this goes.
Speaker 5: The games will play I think a big role the preseason games.
Speaker 4: Those guys are gonna get a lot of run.
Speaker 5: I'd be shocked if you see much of Jonathan Taylor at all. You may not see him even once. So you're going to see a lot of those guys in the preseason. I'm actually looking forward to that position battle.
Speaker 1: All of the questions I have asked you have been about what we're going to see in the next four to six weeks. The next question is who's going to get paid before the season starts going into next year. Quentin Nelson, Jonathan Taylor, Grover Stewart, Josh Downs, obviously, Anthony Richardson, and de Forrest Buckner, who we all kind of think this might be it and there's obviously an injury question mark that kind of puts him into a different conversation. Those are the biggest names of the many that are on the last year of their deal this year for this team. What is the likely that any of those guys sign an extension before the season starts?
Speaker 4: Well, you know.
Speaker 5: A little bit of a conflicting message from Quintin Nelson. I can't I think you have to interpret it. So the other day he was asked whether whether anything's happening there, but if you want to sign a contract before the season and what have you. His answer was something like, I have had no conversations. I leave that up to my agent and hopefully they handle it. I'm not worried about it. I think the word I is very key there. I don't believe that the Colts have not even broached the idea of a contract extension with Quentin Nelson, or at least I don't.
Speaker 4: I choose not to believe that. Okay, That's what I would say.
Speaker 5: I think when he says I haven't, I think that's his way of saying, I pay someone to do that for me, And so I'm going to assume that is what is happening there.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: That being said, I do think the organization is at a very interesting juncture, right. We know about you know, hot seats, and a lot of contracts are up this coming off seasons. It's a natural reset opportunity and all that. So I don't know that the Colts are eager to go out and sign players to millions and millions of dollars of extensions. So but I would say I say all that to say, though, I still think you at least try to get the deal with Quinton. I remember the last deal he signed. It happened, I believe, very late in the evening the night before the season opener, which would have been I think the two thy twenty two opener.
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 5: So they've been here before, right, and they've gone right down to the wire. That could happen again. Jonathan Taylor. They have certainly gone past the wire with him right than twenty three, you know, signing that deal in I think week four or five of that season. So I think those are the two guys for me that are on the table. Jonathan Taylor, certainly they have had conversations. There's no question he acknowledged that where those stand is a little harder to determine. But there's positivity at least from him, which is not something we saw the last time he was in this situation. So I think it's at least in a good place for now, and they have time. They have six weeks till the opener just about, so I think they're just going to continue talking. Whether either guy gets the deal they want, though I am less sure about that, but those are the two they're focusing on.
Speaker 1: All right, Before I let you go, stevenholderespn dot com, all things Colt and I will be out at camp tomorrow at at ten o'clock practice, day off Wednesday night, practice on Thursday at eight o'clock start up the Droplight Graham Park Sports Campus. All Right, a year ago, we were talking about a starting quarterback battle that maybe had already kind of largely been decided by this point in time, that Daniel Jones clearly won. A starting quarterback battle is far different from a backup quarterback battle. But we seemingly have one of those behich when Anthony Richardson and Riley Leonard. Just your thoughts as to where that stands. And much like the running back position, the importance of the preseason games to see who was the backup to Daniel Jones.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's a hard one to really handicap right now, like I and for the for an unfortunate reason. The reason is because I don't think either guy has really separated himself. And that's that's not what you want to see. You want it to be obvious, right and I don't. I would not say that it is. You know, Riley has had Riley Leonard has had a couple of moments. Anthony Richardson certainly has had some moments. I think for both of them, it's the it's the ups and downs, and that's the problem. I think what we need to see at some point is consistency from those two guys. We need to see some consistency, and we haven't seen it just yet.
Speaker 4: Hopefully they can achieve that.
Speaker 5: It is early and and they are working with some unfamiliar receivers in some cases, you know, they they're going pretty deep into the depth chart there, right, So they're not getting a lot of help sometimes from from some of those guys, but they they've got to find some consistency. For me, I think that's what you need from the backup quarterback. It's not it's not necessarily the big time playmaker. You just need a little consistency because that's what the job calls for. I think you know your starter. You want a guy who who's highs are really high. You know, obviously consistency as well. But I'm saying. All I'm saying is you just need somebody to get in there and function and be able to orchestrate your offense. And I haven't seen that consistently enough from either guy. I mean, I probably lean a little toward Anthony Richardson right now, but it is very, very very slight for me.
Speaker 2: As always, Thanks for time, my friend. I'll see tomorrow.
Speaker 4: All right. You got it.
Speaker 2: You got it.
Speaker 1: Steven Holder again ESPN and ESPN dot Com joining us on the Andy Moore Automotive Group hotline. That was twenty five solid minutes on the Indianapolis Colt