Speaker 1: The Frames per Second Podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to another episode of the Fame Second Podcast. I'm your host for the eating my name is Mike. Next to me, I have Rod next to me, I have Spike. Next to Spike, I have Ken and we are giving y'all another conversation man, And this is one that is near and dear to my heart. This is we're discussing TV shows that ended far too early, TV shows that were canceled prematurely. Bars and I just freestyled that ship. Take that ship, remix it. Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Ros's jealous? What was the bar? I missed it?
Speaker 2: But but yeah, each one of us has three shows. I actually could have gone longer, but I just I stopped at three.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Jesus Christ was like, I couldn't win longer, Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I'm gonna start and Spike out all the fucking jumps today.
Speaker 3: I'm Spike. Spike. What is the first show that you think ended way too early?
Speaker 4: Older if y'all were on this, but it came on HBO. We only had two seasons. It was similar to Entourage, with a lot more gritty. It was called How to Make It in America. Yes, yeah, great, loved that show. And the funny thing is the second season was better than the first. It was a lot better than the first. No idea why this show was canceled. It was such a fun watch. I think it was like thirty minutes to show. All the characters were good, the storylines were good. They could pick this up right now and like I would tune right in for season three. So my first one us how to make it in America.
Speaker 2: That's a really good when If y'all have not watched that show, it is, it's solid. It's really good. Kid Cut, he's great. I forget who the main guy is, but it has the dark haired girl from was She and Girls. I always get her mixed up with the girl that was in get Out, but I don't think it's the same woman. But regardless, that's a really good that's a really good one to start with. Lake Bell, Lake Bell, Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think she was in Girls.
Speaker 3: Kid Cutting.
Speaker 4: Lewis Guzman was in Louis Gooseman Shannon Soulsman.
Speaker 3: So that's a good show man.
Speaker 2: It was a really good show. I don't know why it went away so quick. Two seasons all right, Ken, what you got for your first one.
Speaker 5: Uh for me, it's going to be a sci fi show that Noah, I'm not There's no way you got this one. It's called Raised by Wolves.
Speaker 3: Cool. Yeah.
Speaker 5: It only had two seasons and it basically about two androids that are tasked with raising human children on a mysterious planet.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: And it was it was interesting, it was dope, the planet was interesting, and we never got a real good solid.
Speaker 3: Conclusion of what happened. I didn't know it was canceled. Yeah, I canceled it on.
Speaker 2: The last episode of the first season. So I was like, why the fuck am I putting myself through this. I don't understand anything that's happened these kind of shows that are too.
Speaker 3: Smart for me.
Speaker 2: I don't understand it, and I was confused for the whole season. I only watched it because somebody did it that I like, who did that show?
Speaker 1: Hold on, I can see.
Speaker 3: Somebody did it, like somebody whose films?
Speaker 4: I like?
Speaker 3: Was it James Cameron? Uh?
Speaker 5: No, it was created by Aaron Guzikowski who directed it then directed.
Speaker 3: I could have sworn James Cameron was connected to that show in some way. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was on HBO Matts though James Cameron.
Speaker 3: I'm tripping then, but.
Speaker 5: I do recall it's talking about Yeah you did hate it, but uh yeah, I don't see him associated with.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll look.
Speaker 2: Oh, Ridley Scott, he was connected to it, so he but he only executively produced it. I think when I first saw it, I thought Ridley Scott was like intrinsically tied to it.
Speaker 3: So that's the only reason I watched it.
Speaker 2: And I was like, I don't understand what the is happening this little black robot to get on my fucking nerves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah they did. Yeah he was. He was a little bit. But it was a beautiful show, like the way they filmed it. Beautyful. So okay, that's Ken's rod, what you got.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna keep saying it regardless of what y'all say. Ken is with me love Craft Country. Yeah, what y'all way too soon? They can't answer, they're too late. No, man, they had black people talking about sci fi.
Speaker 3: Oh. I loved it.
Speaker 1: I loved it.
Speaker 4: Like, look it had it had like it's moments where it's like, you know, I had to get settled into it. But man, I think this show ended way too early. I mean, Jonathan major is like, oh my god, it was it was great. What what's old girl named the Light Skinned girl?
Speaker 3: Journey had had the black ship.
Speaker 4: We like in centers with her name. I forgot her name too, but had her in it. Oh she was Yeah, it was good.
Speaker 3: It was a good show. Man. It ended.
Speaker 1: It ended way too soon, way too one season. HBO. Yeah, one season HBO was hating. Man, they would hate why they would be hating it was good, man, you gotta go back and watch it.
Speaker 3: I don't want to.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go ahead, just get the obvious one out of the way, because I don't think you'all gonna think about my other two, but the obvious one for me.
Speaker 3: Buffy the Vampire Slayer ended before. I didn't know. You talked about it so much. I thought it it never kept.
Speaker 2: It ended so badly and pissed so many people off. They ended up having to resurrect the following season. In the comics what it ended because Sarah Michelle Geller did not want to keep doing Buffy. She thought that she was being too much tied to Buffy, like even even when she did Scooby Doo, she was doing fucking karate and shit and beating things up, so she was like, I don't want to only be Buffy, so I want this to be over. And the rumor was, I don't know if this is true, and I don't know if people ever corrected it, but the rumor was she was the one that called it quits, and a lot of the other cast members were fucking pissed because they were like, this is our only bread and butter.
Speaker 3: Dude that played Xander wasn't.
Speaker 2: Doing shit else at the time, Alison Hanigan hadn't really done a whole lot, dude that played Giles, all these people, they were just on this show. And the guy that played Spike.
Speaker 4: Going to Angel because he was like, I prostantly the check dog, Like can I get another season out of y'all?
Speaker 3: But no, Buffy did not end with a completed story.
Speaker 1: I man, I would have thought it did the way y'all you talk about it. That's crazy.
Speaker 2: It's so frustrating, man, because the last episode was fucking great, but it's just not a good ending. So that's mine and I guess I mean I put down Buffy and Angel because Angel didn't end solidly either and on a big cliffhanger, and both of those shows were so tied together.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so that's mine to kick it off. So go back to you, Spike, what you got for your second one.
Speaker 4: This was one of the last noteworthy I think network shows. It came on NBC. It reminded me of our show Mike Lost. They were previewing. It only had one season, though it had your guy.
Speaker 3: Jason Ridder. Jack Ridder's son was in it.
Speaker 4: It was called the Event, and this crazy thing happened heard of this, it's crazy thing happened on Earth where like, hm, I don't want to give too much of it a way, just in case you did watch it, but it is only one season, but this crazy thing happens on Earth and you spend the whole twenty two episodes trying to figure out, okay, what it is that happened, who was responsible for that? Made this big reveal at the end on the dast episode, and then it got canceled. It was so I was so upset, but it had show potential, not as good as Lost, but of the same vein you could tell they've lost motivated the writers for this, like on what is going on here? Just like weird questions and things that will pop up in the world while they were telling the story. So I really wish they were able to at least get three four seasons out of them. It's called The Event. It was a really good watch, very entertaining. For the first season.
Speaker 2: I have never even heard of that show, and I didn't know that that Jay Tripper had a son.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he looked just like him too. That's crazy.
Speaker 2: I'm I just wrote it down. I'm definitely gonna check it out. All right, Ken, what you got for your second one?
Speaker 5: I have a show called The oa A.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Jesus Christ, you got two for two with no Yeah.
Speaker 5: The oa is a show about a young woman who returns home at the seven years of disappearance, now calling herself the o A. She's no longer blind, despite being so when she vanished and refused to tell anybody what happened during that time. We didn't get askewers, Mike, I don't need them, bro.
Speaker 2: When they started dancing, kin, I was so fucking mad they got up and started fucking pop lopping, made a cafeteria.
Speaker 3: What the fuck is this ship? I didn't even know what had the second season? Oh my god, didn't we review that?
Speaker 5: But I think we've definitely talked about it before, but.
Speaker 1: We need to answer, bro.
Speaker 3: And I'm talking ship.
Speaker 2: But obviously I don't think you're crazy because people fucking loved that show that it has like a serious cult.
Speaker 3: Longly, I don't understand, which I was surprised by too.
Speaker 5: I didn't know if people loved the show as much as they did because I thought the shit.
Speaker 3: Was fucking weird nether one making sense.
Speaker 1: I didn't understand anything.
Speaker 5: I was like, eventually we're gonna get the answers to what happened, and then we never got out.
Speaker 1: They canceled the fucking shit, which is crazy because people love it.
Speaker 3: But I don't know why these networks are doing shit like this.
Speaker 2: But I vividly remember wanting to throw myromo at that TV when they all jumped up and they were like, yeah, what.
Speaker 3: Kind of sci fi is this? Man? Anyway?
Speaker 2: All Right, well, I guess that's a good one because I'm s like I said, you're not on an island with that rod?
Speaker 3: Are you on an island with your second pick? Probably?
Speaker 1: So keeping it black man, y'all know how to do?
Speaker 3: So how do you do again?
Speaker 4: I don't know if you ever watched it or whatever. But rap, shit, I feel like that ended too soon.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not with my so we reviewed it. I know, I can't remember you on. I was every episode. I feel like it really started to settle.
Speaker 4: I didn't like it at first, either, but I like how real, like how how black it was. It felt very real, like I don't know, they started getting getting me that it started getting a little ridiculous because I think they was rushing it by the by the end of the second one season.
Speaker 1: But nah, I I.
Speaker 4: Really think it needed another season. Well, it got canceled too soon. You just like I did like the woman I did Spike Rod can see past titties, Nasi. I would have enjoyed her for ten more episode.
Speaker 1: It was good.
Speaker 4: It reminded me like of a not as well done Insecure, you know what I'm saying. I feel like it needed more time to kind of settle in. I feel like they were they were going somewhere with it, and it just got cut too soon.
Speaker 1: I think it got cut too soon.
Speaker 3: I did not know was canceled. Oh yeah, it got canceled.
Speaker 4: HBO start canceling a lot of those shows.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, I'm gonna keep it black too, and from my second pick, I'm gonna go black Summer, I wasn't. It wasn't the Black Show at all. People, but that show fucking blew me away. And I've been meaning to go back and rewatch it. But it was so good because I mean, I don't know if anybody. I think Ken may have watched it, but I don't know if either one of y'all did. Definitely the show God can't just woke up.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 2: I can't remember if we were viewed it or not, but I know we talked about it. But man, it was such a creative show, the way it would bounce from perspectives, the weird dialogue, and the fact that they had an Asian character who did not speak any English, and at no point did they change this anytime she come up, she is just talking.
Speaker 3: I believe she's Korean. She's just speaking Korean the whole time. And it wasn't like I don't know, it just seemed.
Speaker 2: Very realistic for a zombie apocalypse show. It was very fast paced and it did one season, and I think the second season came out like a few years later, like it took him a while, and then nothing and I'm still fucking heartbroken because the way the second season ended was on a huge cliffhanger. So man, I'm yeah, I'm really I'm still mad about this. Netflix is fucking up with this shit. Okay, that is my second one, Spike, what is your third and final one?
Speaker 4: My third and final one, even though I have a couple of honorable mentioned too, but I had to put this one on my list. It starred jk Rawlings. It's a sci fi espionage type thriller. The premise of it is that there is an alternate universe where there's another version of you that's completely different from you. I told you about it before you said it's gonna white.
Speaker 3: It is so good. You're talking about the black the what's it called black?
Speaker 4: This is called counterpart, but the one, oh, you're talking about, the one that just went off on Apple with the alternate universe you go through the different doors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is similar to this dark dark dark matter. That's what I thought you're talking about.
Speaker 4: So this has elements of dark matter in it because there is a door that you go over where there's another world. But that's just that other version of you existing in a completely different life from one that you had.
Speaker 3: JK.
Speaker 4: Rowling is amazing and he's a great actor. It ended after two seasons. I'm not sure where you can find the streaming that because it was on Stars they took it off of them. But if you have twenty episodes of TV to watch this one million percent, if you like sci fi, espionage, any of that, it is so good called Counterpart, and they ended it because they said it was too male oriented. It didn't fit, it didn't fit with the theme that they had moving forward the shows. The shows perceived this two male audience, which clashed with the network's new strategy. You're focusing on premale, premium female female. Yeah, that's crazy. Your counterpart JK. Lawler is really good.
Speaker 2: All right, I just wrote that down too. I'm actually surprised. I've got two recommendations from Spike so far. Ken, What is your third and final choice.
Speaker 5: It's a show called Colony that started the guy Josh Holloway from Lost.
Speaker 3: Which one's Josh Holloway Sawyer. Oh, it's the new show, not Duster. Uster got caunceled. I haven't watched. Yeah, they got no. Yeah, that's why that's why I wanted the way. Yeah.
Speaker 5: But colony is basically, in a not too distant future, Los Angeles has been invaded and occupied by side force, is causing the rip between the cities.
Speaker 1: The city's resident, so.
Speaker 5: A former FBI agent, which is Josh Holloway and his wife, risked everything to find their lost sons. So kids being bad run off and they got to try to find them. And they have this thing called Transitional Authority that I think he works for. They recruit him to work for him in order to find the son. And the wife is part of the rebellion as well, so but she she he doesn't know about it or something like that. But I think it had like two to three seasons, and and I started, you know, of course, this kind of sci fi alien shit. I started watching it and it was good man, and they canceled it because it was too expensive.
Speaker 3: To make and decline of ratings. And this ship used to annoy me.
Speaker 5: That's why I start watching TV, because you were starting show and then they would cancel it. That's why I just wait until shit is over. But yeah, man, even to this day, I wish I had a conclusion to that show.
Speaker 2: I hate that kind of shit. Oh, it drives me insane. When I get to my third, when I'll say, just how fucking insane? But I've never heard a colony, So I wrote that one down too.
Speaker 3: I wish I had just.
Speaker 2: Texted y'all because I've literally the past two weeks I've been like, I need a new show to watch, so I've just been watching Storage Wars.
Speaker 1: But you wouldn't want to watch these because these got canceled.
Speaker 3: I don't, but yeah I don't. I'll still watch them if y'all still say they're good but they got canceled. I'll still give them a go. It's only gonna make me mad if it ends on like.
Speaker 2: A major cliffhanger, which Black Black Summer definitely did, But I'll still watch him anyway, all right, Rod, Third and final choice, what you got?
Speaker 1: It was hard, man, I had to.
Speaker 4: I was trying to pick which one, but I really am keeping it all black because I think black shows into early Butisha.
Speaker 3: I'm not even gonna go more. You should.
Speaker 4: I think that's an obvious one that was on six seasons. Yeah, but it didn't. It didn't get a proper closing or whatever that one or girlfriends and none of them did.
Speaker 3: Girlfriends did, But I'm gonna go.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go with this one cause this one another one that kind of I kind of wish it had more time to sell it. It only lasted one season. But to get down about the hit the hip Hop, Yeah, I watched that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I watched one episode.
Speaker 4: I just never went back to Yeah, and that dude is that dude is grown as an actor, like he's one of dude was in a dope the one that played uh in a spider Man. Yeah he's in yeah exactly. So I'm like, damn, man, they didn't give that show a good chance. I don't think it seemed good for what I remember, it was okay, it was okay. It definitely it got better as as as the you know as you watch him, but I think it needed another at least another season, you know what I'm saying. It was about the hip hop how was born in the Bronx, Like I was like, damn, we need some ship like this.
Speaker 2: You had the big afro and the bell bottoms and all that, and there was a girl involved in some way.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 4: It was actually a few guys that are are have grown to be bigger actors now in that in that show. Yeah, yeah, so so that was one that that was my last one.
Speaker 1: I was I was going cheat, but I don't know.
Speaker 3: If you mentions, we'll do a lot, We'll do a quick lightning round.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, So my final one I came if we reviewed this or not. But it was a weird show on HBO. Had had Ben Mendelssohn and it was the first time I ever saw Cynthia Revo the outsider.
Speaker 4: Y'all with the gaps ye too, Yeah, I think I'm pretty sure we reviewed it. I'm almost positive I have to go back and look.
Speaker 3: But they try to catch the alien.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the alien is too many spoilers, but no, I think this is actually in the t but it's like a shape shifter and it and the shape is like a murderer, but it's also a shape shifter, so they can't figure out who it is. I just think it was a very slow burn. But the atmosphere over the show was just like, dude, this is really fucking good. And Cynthia Revo is incredible. She's like, she's very she seems like she has some.
Speaker 4: Sort of autism. And Ben Middlsson is just like a regular ass cop and he's trying to like wheel her in and keep her, keep her centered, but he doesn't realize that she's on a different plane and she's actually figuring this shit out.
Speaker 3: It is so goddamn good.
Speaker 2: And then it ends, and I remember the last episode was nuts, and I was just like, oh, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Can't wait for a second to season two. There's no way anything else it because I I think I don't even know if it was.
Speaker 2: A situation where they were like, oh, we don't want to do any more of this, it sounds like it was. They think this was a self contained show because I think it was based off of a Stephen King novel or something, So I don't think there was a follow up to the novel. But fuck that, Get a good writer and give me a second season.
Speaker 3: This ship. You just ended it. We still don't know all the details. I watch that again. I've been thinking about watching it again.
Speaker 2: But man, the acting, the atmosphere, the story, all of that cinematography is a beautiful show. And it's creepy. It's man, it's awesome. So yeah, so that's that's my last one. I have one honorable mention, but Spike, go ahead.
Speaker 1: You have a couple of hold on, how many honorable mentions?
Speaker 3: I just have one. I just do that. I can just do one personal time.
Speaker 5: Well, I was going to say, we can also do a part two, but if y'all have.
Speaker 3: More'll do a part two.
Speaker 4: My honorable mention. I think you've seen his love Life the HBO. I didn't even think about that one. But yes, it's just two seasons. The first season was about this lady and you know how getting married. The second season, that's the one. It's so one damn good. It's like looking at a black man dating and dealing with different women. It's it's so good, so well done. The script, the writing, the acting, all of it is so good. And it needed a second see a third season. They're about to put it on Netflix. But love Life was that was my show. You even skip the first sea. I didn't even watch the first season. I still watched the first.
Speaker 3: Season is good.
Speaker 4: It's just not as good this second season. It was like it tackled so much about being a black man. It was like, it's tackling how inter racial relationships work in a positive way and not some fucking corny ass doctor umar bullshit.
Speaker 3: And it also in the same season is.
Speaker 2: Tackling black relate, like between black folks with a black man and a black woman and all of this, like yeah, friendship man is so it's so good. And that bro I don't know his name, but he was in Midsommar.
Speaker 4: He did another he did another show similar to what he was a comic writer. He's really good too.
Speaker 3: I've never heard of No, he's he's he's a great actor.
Speaker 2: And the woman that he that that William he's trying to get Jackson.
Speaker 3: That's in William Jackson. Yet. Man, if y'all have not, especially you, I definitely you really like it.
Speaker 2: It's a good love story, but it's got it's got a lot of drama, but it's actually deep.
Speaker 4: Anyway, and it's not some old we're gonna kill off black people show. It's a really good show. Ken, what's your what's your?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: No, no, yeah, I don't have one?
Speaker 3: Yeah don't, okay, Rod? Do you have an honor? I do?
Speaker 1: And I ain't know what the hell happened to this show?
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 4: If y'all remember a show called South Central taphow.
Speaker 3: I told you all? Have I told you all this? You didn't think you did? I remember South Central.
Speaker 1: Oh man, it was so good.
Speaker 2: My brother was the one that was on the bus money torn it up.
Speaker 1: It was ahead of his time.
Speaker 4: Theater mama did it play theah yeah, she was the MoMA.
Speaker 3: Yeah she was a divorce.
Speaker 4: Was yeah man, my brother Actually, I think it's it's just ahead of his time, like like yeah man.
Speaker 3: And it was just so raw.
Speaker 4: It was just like just a real black show. And I was just like, damn, that's fucked up.
Speaker 2: It came out another good dynamics because it showed like that the kind of poor black family but then like the most wealthy blacke's Yeah that is I didn't think of that, yeah man.
Speaker 4: Because it covered a lot of diverse like you said, diverse topics or whatever, just about uh like harsh realities of like the urban life, especially in the nineties, and it was just like damn, I really felt connected to it. I was like, oh, ship, this is this. This feels like home, like you know. And so for the only last like what one season if that, I don't even think it was a full I don't think it's just one. I don't even think it was a fool to make it to Yeah, I don't even think it made.
Speaker 3: It to the end. You just cut it off. I'm like, damn, I'm literally gonna ask my brother today and see if you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man asked him. I'm curious.
Speaker 2: I still anytime that show comes out, I'm like, man, I get so proud my big brother played the dude that beat undred ass.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 3: Is that streaming anywhere? Probably not. Does he get residuals from it? I mean, well, yeah, if it's streaming somewhere.
Speaker 2: Even if he did, he was only on one episode so it wouldn't be much. Yeah, but yeah, I'm gonna ask him because I loved that show.
Speaker 1: Yeah man, it was good man.
Speaker 3: J Lo was in it. Yeah she was in it.
Speaker 4: Yeah she had a return, like yeah, return and roll in it. I'm gonna have to go see if I can never saw it.
Speaker 1: It came out in the nineties, like ninety nineties.
Speaker 2: It was mainly around Lorenz tapem hm, and then he started dating this.
Speaker 3: Girl that's kind of like witch. Oh man, this good Man.
Speaker 2: That's a good show. That's a good one. Match It's way better than my last one. But I do think this was a fucking excellent show that probably Spike is the only one that's watched this.
Speaker 3: I bet Glow.
Speaker 4: Anybody watched Glow. I almost was gonna watch Glow. She was like a wrestler or something like that.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, okay, it's about the So it's about the gorgeous lays of wrestling, which was something I watched when I was a kid.
Speaker 3: And it wasn't even on the horny shit.
Speaker 2: I was just I just loved anything that was wrestling, right, right, right, But gorgeous ladies are wrestling. It's about how that league got started or that federation got started.
Speaker 3: It's got Alison Bree, I forget the other people.
Speaker 1: So they canceled it.
Speaker 2: Wow, I didn't know they canceled it until recently. I've been sitting around just waiting for a third season, but apparently it was canceled. But it was an excellent show, excellent show. So yeah, so that's my other honorable mention.
Speaker 3: And yeah, well hopefully y'all enjoyed this one.
Speaker 2: If you have some shows, be sure to drop those in whatever comment section you see online. And yeah, we'll be back from more of these and we'll see y'all next time we out